Speaker 1: Welcome to the Auction Brief.
Speaker 2: There's a joy in these games.
Speaker 1: Taking you on a journey through fantasy football, the law, and life. We saw your depends on.
Speaker 2: How much you want, and now you're legal analyst and auction draft expert here to help you.
Speaker 1: Dominate your fantasy drafts. Your host, Drew Davenport, there are full hearts.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, Welcome into the Auction Brief. As the lady said, I'm your host, Drew Davenport, and thank you so much for joining me for another episode. As you know, we have one goal here on the Auction Brief, and that is to help all of you win more titles. And one of the ways that we do that is by bringing the best and brightest minds in the fantasy community on here from my weekly disc Dicussions with Drew. These conversations are there to help you with the most difficult fantasy situations you're going to face in your drafts this summer. Let's not delay. Let's get right to this week's guest on another installment of Discussions with Drew.
Speaker 3: Time for Discussions with Drew, in depth conversations with the brightest minds in the fantasy industry.
Speaker 2: Welcome into this week's discussions with Drew. Our guest for us this week is somebody that you probably already know from seeing his beautiful face on television with NFL Media, mister Marcus Grant, who also happens to hold the record for most appearances on the Auction Brief. As a result, he's one of my favorite people on earth, not just because he's such a easy guy to get on the show and talk to and a great analyst, but he's also become a good friend. So welcome to the show, Marcus. How you doing, man, I'm good man. It's good to talk to you again.
Speaker 4: That this this show, there are a couple things that are sort of time markers for me during the off season.
Speaker 1: It's you know, it's this.
Speaker 4: It's the Fantasy Football Expo, kind of the Hall of Fame games at all rolled into one.
Speaker 1: These let me know.
Speaker 4: That, okay, about where I am in the summer in the off season, and about when it starts it's time to start getting my mind right for the next season to come.
Speaker 2: I love this because this is easily your eighth or something appearance on.
Speaker 1: That I feel like I'm the Steve Martin of this show right. What it is.
Speaker 2: I'm old enough to get that reference. So yeah, and I love having you on because the conversations are always really easy. You've got a lot of insight, and like I've always said, your television, your your answers are made for television, so they're always just wrapped up in a neat little bow and I love it. So pressures on man. But we can find Marcus on Twitter at M A R C A SG that's Marcus G. He's also with ESPN Los Angeles doing a show. Is that just totally Dodger stuff?
Speaker 4: It all als so I'm doing I'm doing Dodger stuff every morning. If you're on the West coast at six thirty am, it's more reasonable in the East coast at nine thirty am.
Speaker 1: It's a Dodger live stream.
Speaker 4: And then I do some fill in hosting, so you know, whenever there's somebody down, vacation, sick, whatever, I'll jump in there and host some radio shows too. So that's that is a lot more general kind of sports talk at that point.
Speaker 2: And then you're also with MB Fantasy Life here with Barry's Fantasy Life. Is that right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been doing stuff with them for a while. Shout out to Matthew Berry and the guys over there, guys and girls over there. You know, they got the very talented kindle Venezuela. I think Chris Allen is doing some things over there occasionally as well.
Speaker 1: I've been fortunate enough to be there for a few years.
Speaker 4: In fact, I originally kind of got recruited by them at a.
Speaker 1: Fantasy football expo several years ago.
Speaker 4: I by chance met Dwayne McFarlane there and met Elliott Christ And then a couple of weeks later, Elliott's like, hey, have you ever met Dwayne McFarlane.
Speaker 1: I was like, you should ask? Uh.
Speaker 4: We hung out and he's like, hey, I'd like for you guys to do a podcast together.
Speaker 1: So that was probably four or five years ago something like that.
Speaker 4: And it's been fun to watch this, watch that company grow and blossom into something really kind of cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know, it's funny because Dwayne, I believe that's the only expo he's been to and he hasn't been back, right. I think we went a little hard night one. I won't tell that story in the public, but we went a little hard night one and I think we just we ruined the expo for him. No, I'm just kidding, but he hasn't been back. We've been bugging him to get back. So hopefully, Dwayne, I know Dwayn's listening to the show, wink wink. But yeah, hopefully we'll see him again out there. But I know I'm going to see you and Canton. We were just talking about you and Florio. You guys are making it back.
Speaker 4: We are going to make it back. I've got my tickets. I got to figure out some of the other accommodations.
Speaker 1: Now. Florio bought his expo ticket.
Speaker 4: He will be there on the contingency that he doesn't just explode for euphoria at the New York Knicks parade.
Speaker 1: He went to the Knicks parade.
Speaker 4: It is the first time he's ever seen one of his teams win a championship. He sees his favorite of all his sports teams, and Knicks are easily his favorite. So he got to be there for the parade. So hopefully he doesn't just ascend into the clouds. If he somehow is still on planet Earth, he will be in camp.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. Well, I met him what two years ago and just had a blast with both of you guys, and I was really I bugged him about a month ago and I was like, dude, you better be in campon, like, don't tell me you're not coming. So I'm glad to hear he's coming because I think it was at Froton that didn't come last year, and there was a couple of people last year that I'm like, I, you know, just like you said, your watch by a couple things. Over the summer, I only see a couple people like that in Canton, So I'm really hoping to see all those folks. But glad you and Floria were going to be there. But hey, let's get to the business of the day. I could hang out and talk all day long, but we're going to do that in July. And I'm trying to keep the show a little bit tighter this year. Everybody's kind of snickering behind my back because I do run my mouth a lot and these shows go long. But I did a less aggressive show sheet with you today so that we could get to all of it and we can kind of hit off. We're going to hit super exciting stuff like you know, Titans wide receivers. It's going to be scintillating podcast conversation here.
Speaker 1: So all right.
Speaker 2: Well, Hey, I want to start with a thirty thousand foot view, because my favorite thing to do in the off season is I spend the month of June talking about what happened last year and what we can take into twenty twenty six that we feel like is going to help us as fantasy players going forward. Is there something that pops into your head that you learned in twenty twenty five or had to relearn that you're thinking, I'm going to make sure that this is in my mind when I'm drafted this year.
Speaker 1: So it's a thing.
Speaker 4: I think it was solidified in twenty twenty five, but I think it's a lesson that's been building over the last couple of years, and it's that tight ends are now worth the swing. It's worth taking a shot at some of these guys. I mean, and you know this for years, the discourse around rookie tight ends is that, well, it takes guys a couple of years at that position to become fantasy relevant and to become productive. And I think we've seen that sort of fall away, right when you look at Sam Laporta having his big rookie year and then Rock Bauers coming in having a big rookie year, Tyler Warren stepping in and doing big things as a rookie, and even Colston Lovelan sort of the back half of his rookie year really starting to step up. I think because of the way teams are operating in.
Speaker 1: The NFL with a tight end position.
Speaker 4: Now you've sort of specialized it where you've got your in line tight ends, your guys who can block and be a part of the run game. But now you're seeing more teams use sort of that move tight end, that more athletic pass catcher, almost like a big slot guy, And essentially teams are telling that player, hey, yeah, eventually we maybe like you to block occasionally, but right now your primary job is to go out there, run routes, get open and be a weapon in the passing game. I mean, of course, you got Sean McVay, who I think at some point is going to like, I don't know if like fifteen personnel is a thing, but if so, he may try to figure out how to do that with They collect tight ends in LA like Pokemon.
Speaker 1: It's sort of insane.
Speaker 4: But I do think when you look around the league and you see say a Kenyon Sadiq with the Jets. When you see in Eli Stowers in Philadelphia, you know, at the right price, I think they are worth adding to your rosters, whether it's in redraft, whether it's in auction leagues, whatever, because we're seeing some more of these guys really be productive right off the bat.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I think you're a comment about Sadiq's interesting too, because one of the things that I keep seeing is these guys they continue to draft tight ends even when they've got guys on the roster they like. That's what Vegas did with Bowers, and they had may Or on the roster already in Sadik and they've got Mason Taylor still. So there. There is definitely a movement in the NFL, and we've certainly been talking about that on the auction brief already. And I love the McVeigh joke. I was going to go, I was going to make a joke about fourteen personnel. He got there before I can make it, But it's true. It's a great point. I think it's an excellent highlight because I have been one personally to be a little bit slow on the rookie tight end uptake. I've just not been willing to invest in some of these guys in the rookie season, and it's clear that that's a mistake right now and it's something I need to correct. So I love the start here for us Beyond twenty twenty five, I want to turn to twenty twenty six and talk a little bit about what's going on right now. We sit here near the end of June. We've got our little break going on for about the next three to four weeks. Before training camp opens, things really ramp up. There's some narratives that are getting going on some teams, and I know there's a lot of exciting fantasy offenses out there that we want to talk about, but we're not going to talk about that. I told Marcus before the show started out, said, Hey, these aren't the most exciting offenses. But we're also here because all this stuff matters, and we have to care about some of these teams, and frankly, making profit off some of these weaker offenses is something that's important, not just for general knowledge when we get into the room, but for those deeper leagues. It's really important to find that production on these weaker teams. So I want to start with some of those teams and we can talk a little bit about the Jets right out of the gate, because you know, I don't want to talk about the Jets, nobody does. But are they going to be a little bit better with some more competent quarterback play? And then what do we think about Aaron Glenn? And he's talking about a three headed monster. And I know that they started to use these other two guys last year, but I can't imagine they gave Bresaw fourteen million dollars a year so that they're just going to give them one hundred and fifty touches. Bristol is still going to touch the ball a lot, right, I mean, what do we make of this whole offense in this backfield?
Speaker 4: Yeah, when when they decided that they weren't just gonna let Breeze hall walk and they put the franchise tag on him and say they're going to keep him around, I think we all kind of had a collective sad. We're like, oh, you know, it's like, please free Breeze. Let him go somewhere and prosper and blossom. I do think he's going to get touches. I am walking into this season being very cautious about the Jets, like it really going to depend on how excited people are about these guys. I think there's a collective sort of like you know that, Like I think you look around and you're like, there's potential there, but Jets. So I think I've been kind of hands off so far with Breeze Hall, and I think once I really start getting heavily into drafting, we'll see how much I go after it. I just you know, for me, I don't know that I want him as more than a low end RB two, just because I don't. I just don't trust the Jets. I think it's mostly what it is. I don't trust him to do right by some of their talented players. I sort of like that we have kind of come to our collective senses with Garrett Wilson and sort of realize that he is probably again a low end wide receiver too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I remember when we first came in the league, everybody's like, oh, this is the next big thing. They were drafting him late first round, early second round, and he's he's just never been that guy. Of some of it is quarterback twice, but they just haven't had guys to get him the ball. But I think some of it is just that I think we sort of overvalued who he is on the NFL level, So you know, I'm very cautious about them. I know, I just mentioned Kenyon Sadik. I think the value is there just mostly because of the position, right, just because there isn't as much depth that tied it in. So he's the guy that I'm sort of maybe the most excited about.
Speaker 1: It all depends on what version of Geno Smith shows up.
Speaker 4: If it is the you know they wrote me off I and right back though. If it's that version of Geno Smith, then I think we can be really excited about what the Jets are. If it is the version of Geno Smith we saw in Las Vegas, then we're all going to be really really disappointed by it. And so for that reason, I think, yeah, I will probably take my shots at Breese Hall A Gary Wilson because I'll do enough drafts where they'll they'll be on the board. But I will say that for the most part, I think I'm going to just take a step back and let other people sort of figure out what's going on there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when I was looking at ADP before we did the show, and I saw the Breeshall still hanging around RB fourteen, it just feels too rich. It feels weird because especially the comments from Glenn. Again, I'm not saying that Breeshall is not going to lead this committee and that I still think he's a lock for two twenty five, two hundred and fifty touches, but RB fourteen still feels a little bit rich. I will say that I did a mock auction the other night where he went for twenty two bucks. That feels a lot better. I'm cool with that, but I don't believe twenty two bucks translates to RB fourteen. I think that translates more to the bottom of RB two territory. I'm more excited in an auction for that low twenties than I am for where he's going in snake drafts, you know, the geno thing. It's weird to me. He's got to be better, right, right than what they had.
Speaker 1: I I don't know.
Speaker 4: If the Falcons have taught me anything over the last few years. It's that it doesn't necessarily have to be better, right. I mean, we went through Marcus Mariota and it's like, okay, well, you know, Michael Pennix has to be better, right, Well, not necessarily. You know they had the broken down statue. That was Kirk Cousins trying to come back for a little bit. I mean, every time we look at the Falcons are like, well, it has to be better, right and it hasn't.
Speaker 1: Necessarily been better.
Speaker 4: So you talk about lessons from twenty twenty five that I'm taking into twenty twenty six, one of them is that it doesn't always have to be better just because you changed your quarterback.
Speaker 2: That's that's very true, very true. Well, I've got an even more exciting offense that we can talk about. It's the Tennessee Titans. So are you excited? He's properly excited and he's sat up in his chair. Nobody can see it. But again, we're talking about some value. There's gonna be some value. And I was a little bit surprised to see that Carnell Tait is actually going off about wide receiver thirty right now. And people have completely written off Wandale Robinson. Now, I had a lot of success last year in fantasy football with Wandale Robinson on my team because he was so cheap, and it looks like it's happening again. Now, I'm not sure that we're in a much worse situation than he was last year with the quarterbacks he was playing with. Maybe it's slightly worse. We certainly haven't heard good things about cam Ward from Mini camp, which is a little concerning because it's like Mini camp should be where we get all the glowing reports, and we didn't hear a lot of great stuff about Ward. But boy, it sure feels like Robinson's being left for dead. What do you make of this wide receiver corp in Tennessee?
Speaker 4: I So I will start by saying that last year I was big on elec Iomanner as a late round sleeper, and there are a few weeks that he really did sort of provide some value for you, but eventually has to be expected for a guy that was when a day three picked. I mean, eventually he sort of fell off, not a major surprise, but also it didn't hurt necessarily because you didn't invest very heavily in him or chim Dka, So that was okay. Wandel Robinsonty has some value. I will also give you the caveat Look, we live in a PPR world, right, That's just what it is now. Wandale Robinson is one of the guys who has radicalized me against full point PPRU because there's nothing like the the Wandale Robinson ten catch sixty five yard game or something like that, and then he gets like it, you know, and then all of a sudden're looking at sixteen seventeen points and if he scores a touchdown at the twenty three point game, and it's like, but you didn't really do anything but that.
Speaker 2: I had my mic off, but I gave you a hearty laugh there on the one the radicalization against PPR, Sorry, go ahead that aside.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is the world we live in, so why not take advantage of it. I think he can be a little more productive than that. I'm I'm intrigued by Carnal Tate because again, you saw cam Ward kind of occasionally do some things with.
Speaker 1: Some day three wide receivers.
Speaker 4: So now the Titans look like they're investing at the wide receiver position to try to help cam Ward out. The other piece to this, though, is I need for Tennessee to do something about that offensive line because on the occasions I watched the Titans last year, the passing game basically was cam Ward drops back and either chucks it immediately or starts scrambling and rolling out.
Speaker 1: And then chucks the ball.
Speaker 4: But either way, it wasn't a whole lot of cam Wards standing there with time to survey the field, go through his reads, and then make a play. So if they can do something to at least give him a little more time to get the ball out, then I think you're gonna see a lot more production out of Robinson and especially out of Tate.
Speaker 1: But I was looking.
Speaker 4: I think I saw Carneal Tate somewhere around wide receiver thirty or something like that, which is not necessarily terrible, Like I can I can sort of rock with that, especially if if I go heavy wide receiver early, then I think I can take Tate and have him as a third or fourth wide receiver, and I think I'd feel a little better about him there.
Speaker 2: I tend to agree with you there. And I was just quickly looking up offensive line rankings. Football guys, has Matt Patonti does our offensive line rankings. He has them. Still is the twenty sixth ranked offensive That sounds about right. I don't really feel like they did a whole lot to upgrade, So to your point, it still could continue to be a problem. I just I'm very nervous about the entire offensive environment. And then we've got the little thorn in the side, Calvin Ridley, still hanging out there trying to get work. It really seems like it could be a mess.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I sometimes literally forget Calvin Ridley exists.
Speaker 4: I say, you know which, I think your description of him as a thorn in the side is probably perfect because, like, if you are unfortunate enough to draft him, like I don't feel like you don't target Calvin Ridley, you just.
Speaker 1: Sort of end up with Calvin. It's one of those things where like.
Speaker 4: As soon as you hit as soon as you click the button that says draft, you probably also let out a big sigh like okay, and you know there'll be those one or two games where he gives you you know, you'll get eighteen points out of him, right, and you're like, hey, that was really cool, And then the rest of the time, when you're getting like five to seven, you're gonna be annoyed. What's gonna happen is he'll do just enough that you know he's going to make life miserable for everybody else that if you have Tate. If you have Robinson, Calvin Ridley's gonna do just enough to take food off their plate and frustrate you, but not enough that you're gonna be like, Man, I gotta get Calvin Ridley in my lineup every week.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It sure seems like we were expecting him to come back from the suspension a couple of years ago and be the guy that he was before. We have never seen it, except for some flashes, like you said, so I think it's time to give up on that whole prospect unless we have significant injuries that forces him back into an alpha role, which I'm not really willing to do that. But you know, at this point, what is it an eighteenth or twenty round pick that doesn't hurt us if we want to do that, but I'm certainly not trying to. Okay, let's go to a slightly more interesting offense down in New Orleans because we saw at the end of last year what we think could be the glimmer of hope for twenty twenty six. We saw the rookie come in and play pretty well. We know that Kellen Moore is a gifted offensive mind, and I was looking into some personnel groupings, He ran a lot of eleven personnel. Our buddy Pat Foreman does a lot of pace work, says that they play pretty fast, and then they went and drafted Jordan Tyson. So things look optimistic in New Orleans. But I have to say, we're we're certainly not talking about the Detroit Lions, but the backfield is kind of weird too. So I guess, maybe what's your snapshot of do you feel optimistic like we should coming off of last year? And then we'll talk a little bit about the backfield in a second.
Speaker 4: I do, actually, I do feel optimistic. And I say that as somebody who was skeptical of Tyler Shuck last year, and so I had to admit that, hey man, this dude has has exceeded what I thought he could be. And on top of it, he sort of lifted a lot of the guys around him. He made me excited about Chris Olave again, right, He got me excited about what was going to happen in that offense. And so I do have some optimism around the Saints' offense. You mentioned Kellen Moore and guy kind of on the sticks as they would. You know, he's on the one he's the one the controller. It does give me some reason to sort of hope. I mean, I don't think I'm making Tyler Shuck my every week quarterback. But if I decide, then I'm gonna wait on a quarterback, and at that point I'll probably end up taking two guys. I don't know that I'd feel terrible with Tyler Shuck as my QB two and playing him in the right spots. And it's got me excited about drafting Chris o'lave again. It's funny our power. Lakwan Jones had a chance to run into him. He was down in New Orleans for I think an HBCU event or something like that, and ran into Chris o'lave and I sort of asked him, this is before the draft, about how he would feel if the Saints either got a wide receiver and free agency or drafted went and Olave was diplomatic, but he sort of turned his nose up at it. I think he was, you know, it was more of a wide receiver being like, I don't want to have to share targets with anybody.
Speaker 1: But he also was very excited about Tyler Shuck.
Speaker 4: And so that gave me reason to feel even better about it, so to bring in a guy like Jordan Tyson to pair him up with Chris o'lave. I do think there's reason to be optimistic about the Saints. Weirdly, this is a non fantasy take here, but I mean it wouldn't be crazy when you look at that division, if you know, maybe the Saints somehow squeaked in and won the thing and got into the playoffs. I mean, there's there's no real clear cut favorite in the NFC South. So the Saints rising up and somehow winning it. Now, mind you, they'll be like, you know, nine eight or something like that, but that might be enough to win the NFC South this year.
Speaker 2: It might be. And I saw a funny meme the other day where it was just the four helmets from that division and they were all thinking the same thought bubble, like, we're the easily the best team in this division, which is definitely what they're all thinking. So yeah, I totally agree with you about the optimism. I hope that Shuck runs like he did a little bit last year, and I hope that's part of the plan for him, because fantasy wise, he could really turn into a really nice QB two or have some flashes with low end QB one upside on a weekly basis if he continues to run. So I hope they do that. But let's talk about their running game for a minute, because we know they try. They signed Travis Chan, right, I knew that, didn't I it's the all it's it's the all pronunciation backfield because you know, I talked about the quarterback and I wasn't. Can we settle this once and for all. It's pronounced like s huc k. Is that right?
Speaker 1: Yes? Correct?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's and you know I've been saying that it feels weird to say it when you look at his name, but I've been told that's the way to say it anyway. So yeah, So they sign Chan away from Jacksonville, but they've still got Alvin Kamara hanging around there and he's pretty much been left for dead. I believe he's at RB forty nine and like nobody wants to draft him. Everybody's just completely given up on him. That feels a little bit weird to me, especially in PPR, that people are just ignoring him all together. I don't think that's going to be the end result, but maybe I'm crazy here. What do you think about how this backfield chakes out?
Speaker 4: I was super excited to see Han go to New Orleans. Now, yeah, Alvin Kamara is still there, but this sort of feels like a thank you for your service. Like this feels like, hey, we're gonna you know, we're gonna let you hang around. You're kind of in alum basically who just gets to hang around the program for a little bit because I think his you fullness has pretty much evaporated on a real basis. And so I look at Chien coming in and sort of feel like, hey, this is this is sort of an Alvin Kamara reboot.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean, we live in a world. I'm live out in the LA Everything in Hollywood is reboots and sequels.
Speaker 4: This is sort of a reboot of the Kamara years there in New Orleans. One of the things that I was always frustrated about in Jacksonville was that they never threw him the ball as much as I thought.
Speaker 1: They should have.
Speaker 4: Right we saw we saw Trevor Lawrence and Itchen at Clemson together, and he was a big part of the passing game in Clemson when they were winning national championships, and it never really translated to the NFL. I'm hoping that it's a bigger part of his game there in New Orleans. We've seen him be an effective runner. Now if he can add that that pass catching element to it. Look, I don't know, if you can catch seventy passes in a season, that'd be huge. I would love something like that for him in New Orleans. So I am I'm excited about it. I'm you know, Kamara is there, but I do think this is very much it's him's backfield, and I think we're gonna see uh Kamara just sort of you know, I don't know if there's a I wouldn't call it a victory lap.
Speaker 1: Uh, just sort of one last tour one, you know, like he's like a you know, an old.
Speaker 4: It's like a heist movie, right, just one last job before he goes off into retirement sort of thing.
Speaker 1: But I think that's the most we can expect from one more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's it, just one last, one last you know, we can get out three days from retirement, man, and trying to get my island there, you know, get my house on an island somewhere in the Caribbean before I go.
Speaker 2: I'm getting too old for this ship exactly. So well, he's RB seventeen. Now. That feels pretty good to me. But yeah, I'm surprised because I'd flipped Breeze Hall on chand there because I'd much rather have the New Orleans back.
Speaker 1: I don't know about you, I would too.
Speaker 4: No, I feel like there's a clearer sense of purpose with the Saints' offense and there is with the Jets. So yeah, if I can, you know, look at you want to take, if you want to say haul and let the eighth chan fall to me a couple spots later, I will say thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. RB seventeen feels pretty good. And something I've been ranting on all summer long, already, all through all three weeks. But I've been talking about all summer already. It's just that a lot of times we tend to get lost in the weeds with some of these guys. We just sort of pick them apart, we pick them to death, and then we get to August and I'm like, I don't really like the Saints because there's this and this and this, and I think we just need to take the talented guy that they wanted to sign that they were after and just let the chips fall where they may. If he catches some passes, great, If he doesn't, hey, whatever, we took the shot. There is that chance that they want to give him sixty catches or whatever. And if and if he does sixty seventy catches, man, you've you've absolutely signed yourself up for an RB one at mid to low RB two price, which I absolutely love so.
Speaker 1: Underson love it.
Speaker 4: By the way, you talk about getting guys getting picked apart in teams getting picked apart. You know this every day on Fantasy Twitter, fantasy social media. It just seems like every player, every Fantasy villaint player, just becomes the main story for a day. Yeah, for no real apparent reason. And I would tell you that it's really confusing when you live on the West Coast because you wake up and the conversation's already been going for several hours, and you're like, wait, why is everybody talking about Travis him today? And so you start like searching for headlines or maybe they did I miss a news story or something, And after like an hour, so you're like, no, people just decided just going to wake up and just talk about him today.
Speaker 2: It is a weird phenomenon, and it's got to be that algorithm that keeps feeding us the same topics. And it's also, like you said, it's very random too. And sometimes it's like there's narratives that get this runaway momentum before we can even have the conversation, and all of a sudden, it's it's it's gotten out of control, and I'm thinking, well, where how did we get here? So definitely definitely with you on that. So okay, well, enough of bottom feeding offenses. Let's talk about a couple of other things. I want to ask you about what your opinion is on Gwinshawn Jenkins, and Cam Scatamo coming off of fairly traumatic leg injuries. And this is something that we have to fight every year. And I was just having this conversation about Malik Neighbors recently, and he's not one I want to talk about because it's a different kind of injury. But we saw with Chris Godwin last year, we saw it with Tony Pollard a couple of years ago. These traumatic leg injuries, even though they're not ligament related knee injuries, they tend to have an effect on their explosiveness and ability The next year but we're already seeing you know, Judkins looks quick and spry and in wearing his shorts, and we've heard that these guys, hey, they look great, they're coming along great, but we can't quantify what it is they've lost that year after after these traumatic injuries. So how are you treating these two guys? Are you comfortable with drafting them or are you kind of like, yeah, they're going to have to fall significantly for me to take them. How do you feel about both of those?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think they're gonna have to fall for me to take them.
Speaker 4: If I'm picking between the two, I think I would probably lean toward Judkins over Scataboo.
Speaker 1: And I look, I love Camp Scataboo at Arizona State. He was a lot of fun to know.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised to hear that you yeah, I did.
Speaker 1: I mean, he was just so much fun to watch.
Speaker 4: The problem is like, as fun as he is to watch, I don't I don't want the Kamakazi running back on my fantasy team just because you just don't know. I feel like Judkins, Yeah, he had the he had an awful, awful injury. He seems like he's more willing to protect himself in the context of the offense. I think the other part that applies to both these guys is how good are their respective offense is going to be also? Really, I mean the Browns, the Browns have done a lot of things to make me excited about their offense.
Speaker 1: They've added a lot.
Speaker 4: Of pieces, they get some some wide receivers. They still got to figure out the quarterback situation, but they have so many pieces around them offensively that that's reason to be excited. But I also, you know, in the back of my mind, I'm like, are they going to brown this up sort of thing? Because who knows? But but Judkins gets me a little bit more excited because I think, you know, even in the context of that offense, I think he's going to be better suited to kind of protect himself trying to stay on the field. I don't think Cam Scataboo has learned to not run through walls. I don't know, Like, maybe this is me stereotyping. You know, the dude was caught on video licking windows like that doesn't get me excited about his prospects of staying healthy over the course of an eighteen game season.
Speaker 1: So For me, I do want to see both of them.
Speaker 4: I think I need their ADPs to come down a little bit, just because that that concern about the explosiveness, you know, about their ability, and I think a lot of it is confidence too, Like athletes who come who come through a major injury will tell you that a lot of the recovery is mental. It's you know, can you trust your body to do the things that it used to do. So for that reason, I don't know that I'm going to be heavily invested in either one of those guys.
Speaker 2: Well, I just got my fantasy team name for my home league, the window Lickers, So we're going to be the Scataboo window Lickers. And well, you know, I'm a little surprised to see their ADPs right now because Judkins is at nineteen and Scataboo's at twenty, twenty one or twenty two. That feels no, I'm sorry, Scataboo's at nineteen, Judkins is at twenty two. That feels like you said, that feels flipped to me, but also it feels rich. Again. I just I much rather have Breese Hall hn like. And I know that those guys are going a little bit ahead. But that feels rich to me. Done it to you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, it definitely is. That feels very outen.
Speaker 4: That feels almost like drafting some of those guys pretty close to their ceilings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I don't do that.
Speaker 2: Not a guy that's going to catch a bunch of passes, right, That's not something we've seen from them now.
Speaker 1: And again, I mean both of these offenses. Like, I'm hopeful about what the Browns are doing.
Speaker 4: I think there's sort of reason to be optimistic, but you know, I still think there's a cap on how many touchdowns these teams are going to score, which automatically puts a cap on how many touchdowns the running backs could score. I also do think there's the Browns factor of Hey, I don't know if you heard, but they traded away their actual superhero in Miles Garrett. I mean, look, they get Jared verseback, who's a good player, he's not Miles Garrett, and that's going to have an impact on that defense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting. I'll tell you what. As far as bad offenses go, I really think the Giants have a chance to bot him out. This year could be really bad. I don't know, but yeah, those ADPs just don't make a lot of sense to me. So I'm glad we talked about that for a minute. Well, we're going to end here with a couple fun topics that are not Calvin really related. We're gonna I want to talk about. First of all, let's have a little fun at the top of the draft. Let's say you draw the number one pick and we're talking full PPR even though fight the Power Radicalized against. What do you think about we've we've really got three candidates, right, Bijon Robinson, Jamier Gibbs and Jamar Chase. What do you think about the very top of the draft and how do you rank those guys and why.
Speaker 4: For me, it's either it's either Robinson or Gibbs at number one. I'm leaning toward Robinson just because so I think when you look at kind of the two offenses there, those two guys, they're very similar obviously in what they do, They're very similar in what their ceilings are. But what tipped it to me was the Falcons going out and getting to a tongue of iolola. So now you've got Tua, you got Michael Pinnix that are going to be in some weird quarterback competition because I don't know, the Falcons just like vomiting on their shoes or something.
Speaker 1: For some reason, I don't get it. But what it means.
Speaker 4: Is that Robinson, who's already a big time pass catcher in that offense, could get even more targets when you have to us, say at the beginning of the season, getting under pressure and just with you know, panic, dump offs to Jon Robinson on top of all the carries he's going to get in just the natural targets he gets within the context of the offense, so that.
Speaker 1: Gives him a slide edge.
Speaker 4: I do feel like there's sort of no wrong answer between Bijon and Jamier Gibbs. I'm going Jon Robinson. I've got chase at three. I think the range of outcomes for him is fairly narrow. But I do still think there's the the Joe Burrow issue in the sense that the Bengals still struggle to protect him consistently, and there's always there's always the chance that Burrow somewhere along the way. This is three to five games, and yes, Jamier Gibbs can still prosper with a backup quarterback, but the ceiling gets a little bit lower. So I just think that that issue comes into play a little bit with Chase, which makes him more of number three for me.
Speaker 2: I was talking to my son earlier because we're doing a father son in Fantasy League, and I said, you want to do that again? He said, yeah, he had Bejon last year, and he says, well, now that Tyler Algier is gone, I want to have Bijon again. I said, I said, it doesn't mean he's automatically going to get all the goal line carries, but I tell you what, it did seem like they figured it out a little bit at the end of the year, not totally, but they gave some Bejon some goal line carries. And I specifically remember, I believe it was a carry against Carolina where the guy broke into the backfield and he was like on the two yard line, jumped on Bijon's back and he kind of just like shrugged him off and walked in the end zone. And I thought, now, that is a guy who knows how to put the ball on the end zone. But they just loved Tyler Algier. So I'm interested to see what they do with that this year, because that certainly would make me want Bejon over Gibbs. I think for me right now it's probably Gibbs, then Bejon. But I also agree that Chase is number three, and it is that uncertainty of Joe Burrow and that offense and what happens if he goes down. So you know, we can't live scared all the time, but I'm certainly going to break the tie there by putting him third behind those running backs. All right, well, I want to leave everyone with the favorite topic that everyone has this time of the year, which is we've got these narratives developing, and we've got ADP shaping up, and a lot of that stuff's going to change come early August when the casuals start to get in and decide who they like. And they don't really care that we've been talking about it since March. So but for right now, what do you think, Why don't we start out with a couple guys that you feel like are overvalued right now? How about two guys that you think that you just can't click the button right now because there's too high right now.
Speaker 4: One is Luther Burden, and from the moment Dj Moore left to go to Buffalo, the Luther Burden hype train just left it full. It turned into a bullet train just the way it left the station, and I get it. Dunza was disappointing last year, and we saw a little bit of Burden flash late in the season. But just where he's going right now, I think I saw his adp at like forty two overall. So you're telling me I got to spend in twelve team leagues a mid fourth round pick on Luther Burden, Like, I'm not anywhere close to that right now, and he's going ahead of o'doonsay, who I think bounces back this year. I think you just I think you see the connection between him and Caleb Williams. I think you're gonna see o'doonsay bounce back. I also am a big fan of Colston Loveland. He is my solid tight end three. Like, I'm not willing to go early enough to get Bowers or you know, we're who else am.
Speaker 1: I missing at the Titan spot. I'm blanking out McBride.
Speaker 4: The just I just had a brain fart there, But I'm not I'm not willing to.
Speaker 1: Go early enough to get either one of those guys.
Speaker 4: So I'll wait and I'll say Colston Loveland at tight end three and'd be perfectly happy with it. He's going right about the same spot as Luther Burden. I think you talk opportune costs, it's just a better situation there. So I am sort of out on Luther Burden until that's the Luther.
Speaker 1: That's a Luther Burden alarm. That's the hey man, it is Luther Burden, That's what that is.
Speaker 4: The other guy that I think is overvalued is Jeremiah Love And it's not about his talent, it's about situation. And I feel like, did we already forget the lessons of Ashton Genty from a couple of years ago? That Genty is a guy who was super talented and put up monster numbers at Boise State, and then he gets drafted by the Raiders. And I remember when he got drafted and people immediately were like, well, he's gonna be a late first round pick, maybe even a mid first round pick.
Speaker 1: I'm like, are you are you nuts? Like the Raiders are still bad.
Speaker 4: And when you look at Gent's rookie year, like in the grand scheme of things, it was not a bad rookie year, but for where he was coming off the board, you were left disappointed by what you got out of Ashton gent and I think you're gonna have the same thing with Jeremiah Love.
Speaker 1: The Cardinals are still a bad team.
Speaker 4: Like the NFC West is going to be a three team race, right I mean, the Rams right now are the favorite for the Super Bowl, the Seahawks are you're defending super Bowl champs. The forty nine ers are still going to be very good and you know very well could be a playoff team.
Speaker 1: And then you got the Cardinals.
Speaker 4: It's that dragon meme with the multiple heads, where like, you know, a couple of them are looking mean and then the third one is looking kind of goofy.
Speaker 1: Well, that's that's the Cardinals. They're the fourth goofy head over.
Speaker 4: There also the fact that you know your son talked about Tyler Aljier not being in Atlanta.
Speaker 1: He's in Arizona.
Speaker 4: Now they got to add him, so he's going to get some of those opportunities.
Speaker 1: And there's James Connor.
Speaker 4: Like I've I've been a James Connor fan for a while, I am willing to admit that at this point, after multiple injuries and just getting older at his place in the offense, is going to be diminished over what it was. But I don't think they completely kicked him to the curb. I still think he's going to get opportunities. So now you're looking at a three headed situation and an offense that's going to be bad.
Speaker 1: Part of the reason we love.
Speaker 4: Jacobe Brissett is because they're always playing from behind and they had to throw the ball a ton. So I just think with the excitement around Jeremiah Love, if this were in Dynasty, I get it one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 4: In redraft leagues, I think I'm gonna pass because I think the price is gonna be way too rich for him.
Speaker 2: We also have an offensive line problem in Arizona still as well, because again according to football guys, he's got the twenty seventh ranked offensive line in front of him, and as you said, the aforementioned Tyler Algier, that looks like a weird thing to figure out. In general, those three guys, it's it's it's odd that they did that after signing Algier. I bet you Algier is not happy about that. I would love for it to clear up to a two man committee by I don't know, cutting Connor or trading Algier or something. But it looks like they're sticking with the three. That's weird, and it's difficult because it's still gonna cost you a mid second round pick to get love. I'm with you, I'm out middle of second round on Jeremiah the Luther Burden thing. I love the call. I was a little bit surprised when I did this auction the other night that he only went for twenty four bucks. I expected him to go for more. But then there's a lot of guys who are veterans who really know how to produce in the NFL that are going for the same price. So that would say that Burden is overrated at that price. And you know what's weird with with the Burden Odunze thing is I mentioned this the other day. I really think that if o'dunze had had a healthy season, we'd be having a different conversation right now. So I'm with you that I'd rather take the chance at wide receiver twenty eight on o'dunze than I would on Burden, who's going ahead of him. So like those two calls, let's end with some optimism and hey, we're doing great here. We're at forty two minutes. So this is going to work out great. How about two guys that you think are undervalued right now that you're going to be chasing the drafts.
Speaker 4: A couple of rookies. Actually one is Jenarian Price in Seattle. It says something that the Seahawks felt good enough that they were willing to let super Bowl MVP Kenneth Walker the Third, which, by the way, that's his full given name. Now he's super Bowl MVP Kenneth Walker the Third. Uh, they let him go that, Yeah, that's it. He's officially changed his birth certificate to say that. But the Seahawks are willing to let him walk because they felt like they could replace his production.
Speaker 1: They go and they draft Jederion Price.
Speaker 4: Keep in mind, Zach Charbonay suffered a really nasty injury very late in the season, So I don't know that we're gonna see Zach Charboney ready to go early in the year. Seahawks aren't going to just not run the football, So I think you're gonna see Jenerarian Price get a large amount of opportunity. I'm not terrified that George Holani is going to somehow step in there and take all these touches away from him. Uh So, I think I think Price has a real opportunity early in the season to.
Speaker 1: Sort of establish himself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he'll end up having to share touches whenever it is sharbon Ay come back, but by then he could really have done a lot to solidify himself in that position. So I'm willing to take the shot on Jendarian Price the other one. And you know, I can't come on this show and not at least be a little bit of a usc homer at some point. It's mckaye Lemon, And I was excited about mckaye Lemon anyway.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think we all knew aj Brown was getting traded.
Speaker 4: That was sort of like when they finally announced it, It wasn't surprised. It was kind of a general like finally, like we all kind of knew it was going to happen. So that opens up an opportunity for Makaye Lemon in that offense. I know everybody's excited about Carnell Tate, They're excited about Jordan Tyson, on and on and on. The flag plant that I'm going with right now is that Makaye Lemon will be the number one rookie wide receiver in fantasy football. Because he's in a good offense. There's plenty of opportunity. He's a talented player. If they can get him in space, he's really great after the catch.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: I think DeVonta Smith gets a bump from aj Brown not being there as well, but really excited about in this offense and especially where he's going, you don't have to risk a lot of draft capital to get him. I can't imagine he's going for that much in auctions at this point, but I think I think their reward far outweighs the risk for adding women this year.
Speaker 2: Okay, I just got done talking about Jenerian Price on last week's show. So this is awesome because he's going with some guys that are really just uninspiring veterans. And I'm not saying those veterans don't have their place on your fantasy teams, because some of them, like Tony Pollar, DeAndre Swift, they're gonna get touches and they play a role, especially in deeper leagues where you need guys that are going to have a consistent amount of twelve to fifteen touches. But I think Price is just a perfect X factor that stands out among all of those guys right there, because he could really take the rings and just go nuts. Emmanuel Wilson is a guy who originally I thought, oh, well, maybe they're bringing him in to carry the ball a lot, but he's just very uninteresting to me. He's not explosive, he's not proven to be this amazing NFL back. So I think that things behind Price could be a little bit weird and we could spend some time talking about Emmanuel Wilson when really the guy that they want to touch the ball in so'lani. But I love the price call because I just got done saying this is a guy we should be taking a chance on. So and hey, look death taxes and a USC wide receiver. That is how we roll here on the auction Brief with Marcus Grant. This has been a really fun conversation. Man. We brought it in right when we needed to. So thank you so much for being here. I know you got a heart out here in a few minutes. But just remind everybody where they can find you and find your work.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you find me. I am still on X occasionally at Marcus g over there. I'm also on Blue Sky. I think of Marcus g there also, So that's most of where you can find me. If you want to hear me talk about things that aren't fantasy football, you can go to ESPN Los Angeles's YouTube page.
Speaker 1: I do what's called the Blue Review every morning.
Speaker 4: During baseball season, we talked Dodger baseball, but also at ESPN Los Angeles in general. I do some filling work there, just doing radio stuff. And then once we sort of get going again, I'll be back with Michael left Florio.
Speaker 1: We'll be doing NFL Fantasy Live.
Speaker 4: Now we're all we're officially ESPN employees, and now that they've taken it over, so I know we're going long.
Speaker 1: This is I will take the blame for this.
Speaker 2: Twe no, no, no, we're good. We're good.
Speaker 4: Fun fact, because we're ESPN slash Disney employees. You're not an employee of the Walt Disney Company, you are a cast member. So we were officially Disney cast members. Is that the term they use to describe us.
Speaker 2: So yeah, there's there's a there's a joke there somewhere. I haven't figured it out yet, but I will before July, because I'm gonna I'm gonna have to use that for you in Florio, but okay, well that's cool, man. You know when do do you know when you're gonna go on? Like when the show starts.
Speaker 1: I would guess August.
Speaker 4: They haven't I told us just yet, but usually we get going, usually in August, right around the end of the preseason. It's kind of when we start to come back, because that's when, you know, for for most normies, not as nerds who do this, when most regular thinking people start doing their drafts as usually right at the end of the preseasons, that's usually when we start to jump back in again.
Speaker 2: All right, well this is a perfect man. I've had a really fun conversation with this afternoon, and so thank you so much for joining me. I appreciate you making the time for the show once again.
Speaker 4: Always good time to talk to you, Drew, and I look forward to seeing you in July and Canton.
Speaker 2: Can't wait for campon, Buddy, It's gonna be awesome. Thank you so much. To Marcus Grant from the NFL Network cast member with Disney, Marcus, you knocked it out of the park once again. Thanks for being here. It's another week of discussions with Drew. All Right, that's gonna wrap up another week of discussions with as we strive to talk with the smartest people in the business every single week. Don't forget to tune in Thursday morning for my solo time and the Auction Brief. Mike, thank you so much for joining us this week. I'll talk to you real soon. The Auction Brief is adjourned.
Speaker 3: The Auction Brief is adjourn that'll do it for this week's episode. See you next time on the Auction Brief.