Speaker 1: You're listening to Petlifradio dot Com. That's it.
Speaker 2: You're madder than a junkyard dog and you're not gonna take it anymore. Your feathers are ruffled, your dander's up, and you've got a definite bone to bit. Welcome to Pet Peeves, the show that lets you dig through the dirt and unleash your passion for pets. Why let sleeping dogs lie when you can take the bull by the horns and let the ver fly. So get your claws out and get ready to rattle some cages on Pet Peeves with your host, pet expert and award winning author Amy Shojo.
Speaker 3: Hey there, and welcome to pet Peeves on Pet Life Radio. I'm your host, Amy Shouldai, and I'm a certified animal behavior consultant. So what exactly does that mean?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: That brings me to my rant of the week in the best of all possible world or animal Friends, bring nothing but joy. Dogs, play fetch, get along with the other fur kids, and never raid the trash. Cats, snuggle in our laps, never miss the potty or claw the furniture. They're born knowing how to walk nicely on a leash, stay off forbidden countertops and never bite Great Aunt Susie Ha. In reality, pet loving owners can have some unrealistic expectations. Few of us speak dog or understand feel and ease, at least not without practice, and people can easily misunderstand normal pet behaviors. They may actually encourage bad antics without even knowing any better. So what do you do? Too often these socially inept cats and dogs and sometimes owners mean that the pet ends up in a shelter. Yet there is help available that can literally save your pet relationship or even the dog in cat's life. To promote that idea to keep the love alive, Behavior Express Tour sponsored by Siva Animal Health and the American College of Veterinary Behaviorists, maybe coming to a city near you. My guest today will tell us all about this promotion. Doctor Marty Becker, America's veterinarian, is a spokesperson at the September eighth, twenty twelve Dallas event, where you'll find free behavior tips, shelter pet adoptions, behavior demos, giveaways of all kinds of fun stuff. Now. For sixteen years, doctor Becker has been the popular veterinary contributor on ABC's Good Morning America he's also a founding member of the Doctor Oz Show's Core Team OZ and a member of the Doctor Oz Medical Advisory Panel. In April of twenty twelve, the World Small Animal Veterinarian Association named him the Global Companion Animal Veterinarian of the Year. Wow. So come sit, stay, and we'll be right back with doctor Marty Becker after these messages.
Speaker 2: Okay, time to call off the dogs pet thieves. Will be back with more biting topics right after. We kibble a little with our sponsors.
Speaker 1: Pet pet Petco Where the Pets Go. Petco Where the Pets Go.
Speaker 5: Pet Life Radio has tail wagging, fur flying fabulous deals for our listeners. From Petco. Get six dollars off your order of sixty dollars or more and up to forty percent off the entire pet coot site. That's right, But that's not all. Because you're a pet Life Radio listener, you'll also get free shipping on your order of forty nine dollars or more, six dollars off up to forty percent off at free shipping from pet Life Radio and Petco. To get these awesome deals, go to petcodeals dot com. That's hed Co deals dot com.
Speaker 1: Pet pet Petco where the pets Go.
Speaker 6: I'm not much of a reader, but I do wish I were more well read.
Speaker 1: There are so many great books coming out. I wish I could find a way to keep up.
Speaker 7: Audible dot Com makes it easy to stay well informed and catch up on your reading. Simply by listening audiobooks from Audible. Turn downtime into uptime. You'll be more productive and become well read.
Speaker 2: Now I'm able to catch up on all the great books I've been wanting to read.
Speaker 3: With Audible, I feel smarter.
Speaker 5: Pet Life Radio listeners. Try audible dot com now and get your first thirty days of Audible Listener Gold Membership plan free and get a free audiobook. Choose from over one hundred thousand titles. To get this great deal, go to audibledeals dot com. That's audibledeals dot com.
Speaker 2: Let's talk pets on Petlife Radio dot Com. We know you're foaming at the mouth to get back to pet Peeve, So here's amy.
Speaker 1: What's the more tail time verb Lying Fund.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to pet Peeves on pet Life Radio and please help me. Welcome doctor Marty Becker, his latest book, Your Cat, The Owner's Manual, was published in May of this year, twenty twelve, and it's best selling companion Your Dog, the Owner's Manual is now out in paperback. In fact, Marty has written more than twenty books in all, and he's been a contributor to Parade Magazine, Readers, Digest, and ARP dot com. Welcome to the show, Doctor Becker.
Speaker 4: You know what, my friend jaf Amy, we could almost fill a bookshelf. You've done more than I've done between as we can put one show for about anybody, any pet owners library, couldn't.
Speaker 3: We Well, I think so, and a couple of them we did together, which was great fun with the chicken soup books.
Speaker 4: I love your books too, and you know, we're both like minded. We love people in the prevention and I think that's one of the good things about this tour is that it's you know, sure it's been it's sponsored corporately to have great products, you know, away and adaptable. But the American College of Veterinary Behavior, so that is not easy to get and I think a lot of times people don't realize there's over one hundred board certified veterinary tennis in the United States. There's only about fifty give or take a few. Might be a few more than that now veterinary behaviorists. But you know people like myself that you know, I don't just play a veteranor on TV. I'm a practice in veterinarian and I'm a right newspaper column and do media as you do. And I have a great interest in behavior. My daughter's a trainer. But we lean on these veterinary behaviors definitely ourselves when we have trouble with cases or need you know, some specialized expertise.
Speaker 3: It is out there right, And I wanted to ask you also because I always ask all of my guests before we start anything else, is tell us about your pets first, what pits? Share your heart and maybe your pillow.
Speaker 4: Well, well, your your intro was so right on, and I think sometimes people think America's veterinarian. Wow, I'd love to just have a you know, surveillance camera there and just everything works at his house and in reality, I'll give you the skinny first of all, all of our pet all of our animals even are thin. Our horses, our dogs, our cats, they're all with their ideal body weight. That I can say with all honesty, and it's not easy when you get everything from barncats to you know, laptop bull mix. But that's a priority for us to keep everything thin. So it's a matter of how much you feed, how you feed, what you feed. You know, we do portion control. We use food puzzles and very careful there for the most part. Everybody's got really good dental care before the tour on your cat the owner's manual. My wife does daily oil care and our dogs and has their entire lifetime, and that means she brushes their teeth every day once a week's uses an oral sealant. She gives dfle treats, so you know, she does the whole thing. The CET toothpaste and then the enzymemenpregnated ct us. Before this last tour, I never did anything for the cats. I mean they were they'd never seen a toothbrush, they never were going to never see one. And we discovered some enzymeenpregnated chowes for cats et oral hygiene choose and the cats. I had cats on there that you know. Amy eve been doing the media a long time too, and a lot of times, just like kids and pets, they want to see their kids and they're on TV right. So these producers or these directors would say, Okay, you're coming to this city on this tour, and I'm going to bring Sparky and oh she's just so easy going. She did the love Bug. And then we get ready to do the segment and I see the carrier over there's just rumbling, sounds like a bowing cecient in there. Oh God help me. So we'd spray a little the way in there and on set eight out of ten times they could give them that dental chew and they would they get eat it on camera. May a bleeve out of me. So now we do daily oral care. So here's the good part. Then, daily oral care for dogs and cats. I'll tell you what we do wrong. First of all, without all of all, the dogs look at the mouth, which you're not supposed to do. So we let them give us kisses like a teen nine tonsil swap, even though we've seen them excavate to fight.
Speaker 3: Gopher out of the ground and drink out of the toilet.
Speaker 4: Drink out of toilet and come out of the crowd with the green grin. Yeah. As far as the behavior, it's you know, we're supposed to be places they can't get on like our new leather couch, and sure enough, you know, once a day they're up on the couch whether they're not supposed to be. There's one bed in the guests bedroom that's got an heirloom quilt on it. They're not supposed to go in there searing up. They sneak in there, and we've got The worst thing is when somebody we live in a remote part of North Idaho, and if the doorbell rings or somebody comes in ups that X. I call it the sixteen pound doorbells because those two dogs come alive then and then about with about a three minute warning before they arrive. And so you know, I gave up trying to do the thing where they bark to alert us and then they go sit by the door. Idea, I'm doing an interview ago, they're going to sixteen pound doorbells and yes, so really great. I mean they sleep in bed with us. You know, we have a battle of the fur, just like everybody else does. But the two important things that you've heard me talk over the years and write about are their ideal body weight and we do do daily world care. And because of that, they're going to live thirty percent longer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my juvenile delinquent five year old German shepherd is ideal body weight. The fourteen year old cat is as well. I wish I had the ideal body weight that they do. That's the problem there. And Mary, I wanted to ask you also as a veterinarian, because a lot of people, I think don't really get this. Can you actually separate health from behavior? I don't think you can, now, you know.
Speaker 4: And I'm just as soon as you say that, I'm thinking, Okay, exam examiner Becker, what do you do? I was just at a large veterinary of conference of Central Veterinary Conference in Kansas City, and I talked about creating a fear free practice. And a friend of ours, doctor Karen Overall, the board certified veterinary Behaviors, I love her. I listened to her over two years ago and she made this comment, Fear is the worst thing a social species can experience, and it causes permanent enmage to the brain. And in that instant I saw five hundred pounds of human holding down a seven to ten pound cat. And that has happened inside many a veterinary hospital. And it happened inside many a laundry room at a home to people trying to give catin bill and so I saw the obligation, saw the opportunity to change things. And now what you can do is we wanted to where it's not only not the worst thing that happened this year, it's probably one of the better things that happened this month. Is becomes of the vet. It's a combination of the carriers, fun furniture, it's a combination of using pheromones feel the way for the cats, adaptable for the dogs and the carriers. When they come in, it smells like a It's almost like a bong at a college party that's in the room. You walk in and then you smell something. You know what I want it to This is not humans don't smell it, but just the dogs and cats. Like all area, we do weight management as in Wai. So the cat, you're immediately taken to a room. We actually tell the owners there and you're going to actively do nothing for ten minutes. That sounds like a paradise, which you're going to. We're going to have you. We know it's about that long for the cat. You can press. Here's when I add to some stuff about creating a fear free visit. And then you turn the carrier away from pointing towards the wall, the little food trail, a little catnip to encourage it to come out. You know, I could go on and on, but if what you want to do by that, if that cat comes in in a more fear free way, then the results that you get are going to be more accurate as the veterinarian. So now I'm going to know that's a more authentic heart rate, that's a more authentic temperature. And you know, now the cat's not so jazzed up that it buzzing with adrenaline, and it no longer expresses any pain when you move the right shoulder. So it's better all the way around. And I happen. You know, this is America's veteran and talking. I am exceedingly good in the examer Once I leave the exam room, not so good. There's others thousands of others that are better at me, at internal medicine, surgery and everything. But I'm a detective in that exam room, and I know I got to look at obvious problems to potential problems, and I'm going to dig, dig for these behavior problems and find out, you know, there any behaviors that you'd like to prove upon, and we know the common ones that they're facing.
Speaker 3: What are the common ones?
Speaker 4: Well, for cats, you know, it's not using the litter box, it's destructive client, it's inner cat aggression. And you see said, I mean, I wish I could maybe I'm have a tape of this or go online and listen to this because your intro was perfect about those kind of things.
Speaker 3: This will be online so you I'll send you the u URL and you can use it however you want.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's perfect, you know. And what we do is these there's so much that happens when we're away that's perfectly normal in the cat world. You know, there's one cat in the human world. We teach every know. I got a two and a half year old granddaughter with on this trip. We tell her, you know, you know, one person, one vote, you're as poorting as everybody else in the cat world. It's not one cat, one vote. There's always a benevolent dictator. That's what you hope for. Anyway, it's a benevolent dictator, not a not an abusive dictator. But what would it be like if every time I wanted to go to the bathroom.
Speaker 3: I thought I was going to get beat up exactly.
Speaker 4: And then these ones that you know, just I met somebody on the tour that she couldn't figure out why her cat was doing as destructive behavior. And then she finally set up kind of some kind of events thing. A neighborhood cat would come up to her window and back up key on the picture window while the inside cat was watching. So her solutions. You probably never heard this one, Amy, I'd never heard it. She took lasting forks like you'd have at a picnic, and took gorilla duct tape and duct tape the whole row of forks on the outbus cat couldn't back up the window.
Speaker 3: That's wonderful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I you ever heard of that one?
Speaker 3: Never heard that one before. That's great.
Speaker 4: Oh just where well first he said it works pretty well. It helps.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those cats can be determined long distancing yes, yes, well, and for dogs, you know, here in North Texas this is the first week of school, so you have the kids are gone, the dogs are maybe there's some separation behaviors going on there.
Speaker 4: You know. I was in Kansas City that inventory commence this week walking down on the beautiful plaza down there, and here come two Great Danes, big great danes, one hundred and fifty pounds Great danes, nice and thin though I like that, and a little chihaha Bella. She was five pounds, so two hundred and fifty pound dogs, one five pound dog and the one dog. The dog had terrible skin problems, and I was telling her, she goes, you know, it's just a lot. It can kind of you get sun countable. Sometimes it'll cut of mouth bite, and so here's a perfect example. I was talking to her about environmental allergies and skin issues and all kinds of issues of pain that could cause the dog to bite and to have that impression. It was just in such severe discomfort and pain. So I talked about getting that, and then we also talked about the fact that the dog is very bonded to her when she leaves it. It's actually gone through a window twice, oh gosh, the window to get her. And we talked about you know, separation anxiety being a real, you know, a real situation, and we have a dog at home and has separation anxiety. She's a little and I'll come back to these danes in a second. But her name is Cora and she's a Umpei carrier because she's Pomeranian Sharpay and Karen terrier, one of those weird Kinane cloud come from a life of being in an age two years at somebody's house. First year she was in the house, second year outside in the cage for two years. Third year was adopted by you know, taking to PetSmart, and then we adopted her. But she had a shoe fetish man. She would not go in a cage. She had a you know, we call her shoe boxer, a Melta Barcos because she worked our shoes over like crazy soul Amelda Barcos. We started her on Reconcile, which is doggye prozac. It's it's in a form that's really flavorable. You know, flox a teen or generic prozac is extremely bitter. But did a bond modification, which you've done with pet where you desensitize them and no more drama in coming and going and take the keys and rattle them and put them away and he goes car up off, do all the things. But she's ninety five percent better with separation anxiety because of the bond modification. Now as she goes into her cage, you know, we throw trees in there from time to time. We splits it liberally with the pheromones. So she's got the adaptyl in there and feels like she's back with little Mama and does really well. But this little great Dame, I was telling her, you know, one of the world's top better behaviors. Doctor Wayne Hunhausen's probably a mile from where she lives. Wow, didn't know that there's help there. And I said, you know what, with some chemical crutches and some training in working with you know, this can be a lot better, a lot better not just for for the dog, but for you. This family of building they can't leave. And so there's a perfect example right there where you said you can't separate behavior and metas they go hand and hand, you first out a look. Does this pet is it uriname because it's eur ain infection or urinamme because it has anxiety? Or does it have both? Or is it nothing with the pet? Everything to do with the owner of miss reading signals and confusing this path.
Speaker 3: That's fascinating and we're going to have to take a break here. But we're going to continue our conversation with doctor Marty Becker after these messages from our sponsors.
Speaker 1: Okay, time to call off the dogs.
Speaker 2: Pet Peeves will be back with more biting topics right after we kibble a little with our sponsors.
Speaker 7: Introducing the new Brett Michael's Pets Rock Collection exclusively at pet Smart.
Speaker 1: I created it for the pets that rock your world.
Speaker 5: Shop the Brett Michael's Pets Rock Collection and celebrate pet Smart's twenty fifth anniversary with up to twenty five percent off thousands of items on a pet smart site plus free shipping on order is that forty nine dollars or more. Go to petsmartdeal dot com as at smartdeal dot com, e E T S N A R T D e A L dot com. Dyson the new dice in Animal Backs are powerful bagless upright vackings for homes with pets, Air muscle and radio root cyclone technology generates the strong inception power to powerfully remove dust, dirt, and pet hair from the home or car. To order your dice in Animal Back, go to disondeals dot com dicendeals dot com to order your dice in Animal Back Today.
Speaker 1: Dyson Music to your ears.
Speaker 6: Your groomor is gonna hate me? Hi, I'm Ali mcclennan. Join me for my pet Life Radio show, Room or Improvement. You're gonna save time and money with these tips from my New York City crewming table from product recommendations to dos and don't. I am gonna hook you up, so just do me a favor and don't mention this to your groomer groom for improvement.
Speaker 8: On pet Life Radio, Let's talk past, Let's done, pets at Life Radio, Hetline.
Speaker 2: Radio, Petlight Radio dot Com. We know you're foaming at the mouth to get back to Petee.
Speaker 1: Here's Amy. What's the more tail time verb lying fun.
Speaker 3: We're back again and speaking with doctor Marty Becker about the Keep the Love Alive behavior Express Tour, sponsored by Siva Animal Health and the American College of Veterinary Behaviorists. Doctor Becker is lectured at every single VET school in the United States, and he's been named Companion Animal Veterinary of the Year by the Delta Society and by the AVM. A he practices, he says, when he schedule a house at two veterinary hospitals in North Idaho, because as you can tell, he loves ve medicine, he loves pets, and he loves the people who care for him. Marty, I wanted to ask you, is everything we've talked about before, This is why you became involved in the Keep the Love Alive behavior Express Tour and tell us what does the l O VEE acronym stand for?
Speaker 4: Well, love is leaning on veterinary expertise perfect and we know you know, I don't need to regurgitate the statistics, but you just know that most pets are they don't meet a faith that's old age, or they don't meet a faith that's medical or an accident, it's because of behavioral problems. And I can tell you I've been a veteran for over thirty years and I have never, not once still had an owner come in and say, you know what, we had an incredible dog and cat. We were a lousy owners, so you know, Sata, we're going to get rid of it. Never it's always something well, you know, we had the dog from hell, you know, the cat and the crazy cat, and we try, we just couldn't do it.
Speaker 3: It's never their fault that or we're moving, or that suddenly the kids, after twelve years are allergic.
Speaker 4: Right, and you know, the one thing for you as a trainer, my daughter as a trainer, And this is the same formebody starts a weight loss program or anything else. Five percent of the people complete things as directed. Most people don't do everything that you need to do get over the behavior problem. So I want to be part of something where it shines a light on the villains of the veterinary profession to help and whether it's helped directly through prescriptions or through you know, behavior training, or passing somebody off to somebody in the area that is really knowledgeable. And I always got frustrated there was a certain individual out there on TV that had this gift, that one person has this gift to bend the minds and the will of dogs, and when in reality, you know, there's ten thousand people across the United States that are trained and certified that have the ability to help people with offers with their dogs and cats and working in conjunction with their veterinarians.
Speaker 3: So and I think that's really key is as you said earlier, there are only a handful realistically of veterinary behaviors in the world. So you may not have doctor wayn Hunhausen in your backyard or you know doctor Karen Overall or somebody that you can consult with, but your home veterinarian may have the expertise directly themselves or be able to refer to. You know, I get veterinary referrals all the time, but I always tell my clients when was the last time your cat or your dog saw the veterinarian. Tell me that your veterinarian has said your pet is healthy first and or is not healthy first, and we can work together to try to solve some of these issues.
Speaker 4: I had a cat the other day that came in because it was biting, and they thought I practiced of that last and last Tuesday, and this cat came in because it's been biting, and they were, you know, think about giving the cat up. Actually, probably we're going to give the cat up. And when I did them, you know, I started to you know, we did all the things for free. You know, they had they had to feel away and the cakim in calm. Really the feel away really helped in there and it come out on us. So at the times they come in there, you know, it was pretty relaxed. And this is something interesting on fear free. Rather than going tip of the nose to the tip of the tail, we do the opposite with cats. Yeah, so you know, cats are both a prey and a predator, and when they're in the prey mode, usually when something's around their head, they're not ready to get killed. So something's going to bite them on the back of the neck. So another thing, we don't give injections around the back of the neck anymore, either like two faint teeth or one faint teeth come in there to kill them. But so everything's going good. Everything's going good. Everything's going good. And I don't know a pain flair. You know, if I know a pain flarea, like it's the right front shoulder, I'm going to look at that last by design and tell them. You know, I'm not ignoring it, but I'm going to wait and I get a more authentic exam before we get to that area. But I got up around the lip on the right side, and this cat literally went into orbit, and I told the owner this really causing. I don't want to cause any of this unnecessary pain or discomfort. So we're going to continue this under sedation. And then this cat had an effective tooth and you know, we go back, you know, to the times of the wild West when you deal all things. But the tooth was killing me. And they'll say, here's like a hangmail, here's like a toothache, you know. And so you know, we did a dental X ray and sure enough, this whole jaws used and there's these reservetive leasions and that's why the cat was angry. And we literally this cat under deep anesthesia. When we pull those teeth made sounds, that's how deep the pain was. And I just was talking to the staff members.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: He went home the next day and the cat was so he was a per machine, you know, back because the pain was relieved and both from getting the teeth out of them and being sent them on some medication. But you know, instead of being putting a shelter for no known reason. Now the cat's back moment.
Speaker 3: Well, and all the time I got aging cats or cats that have been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and they're being medically managed, but maybe still they're having trouble eating properly, or old kiddies with arthritis that suddenly they can't manage to get their legs in and out of the box, and so they're missing the box. So there's all kinds of things that are hidden issues that you really need to kind of drill down with your veterinarian to figure out what's going on there that gives people like me or like your daughter clues. Well, how can we manage it? Now we know what's at the root of it, how can we manage it?
Speaker 4: You know, it's funny these things about older cats. It's so many things that happen as they get older. With like you mentioned, I thought they physically can't get up now the litter box, and they don't groom themselves as well, and there can be behavioral changes, and there's all sorts of new things out now that are really helpful. These pheromones really help.
Speaker 3: I love the pheromones. I recommend the feel Away all the time. The comfort zone with DAP, I think they're calling it the adaptyl.
Speaker 4: Now is is the veterinary version. It's stronger. Okay, Actually that's the guy. I was at the American College of Entity Behaviors and met the gentleman that created those products, and I learned some stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Doctor Peg. Yeah, yeah, I've interviewed him. He's wonderful.
Speaker 4: Like the dog, the dog appiecing fermone of the adaptable. There's actually a line of the basis lens that goes right down the midline of that female between the nipple. I assumed it was going to be around the nipples. That's right down the midline, and these the basis glands agapezing fharmwone. It gets the strongest about three days after birth, when you see all these little images of those little dogs all lined up, the little puppies all lined up like litter pigs.
Speaker 3: You know what it looks like right at the milk bar.
Speaker 4: At the milk bar, that's the best way I said, they're just having a good old time. Well, that's because of this pheromone that keeps them comfortable there and non agitated, so they drink. And the crazy thing is that works throughout a dog's natural life, don't excuse me. And so you know, a spray of that stuff, there is something in the room is just like Mama's around and it really really really helps.
Speaker 3: It helps with thunderstorm phobias. I mean all kinds of different sea you're inducing stimuli can really help kind of take the edge off.
Speaker 4: And you know, one of the things we do is. We often stack stack the treatments like the ferm Ones is one of the first things that go to because it works and they and it's easy.
Speaker 3: It's something that owners can do, easy to do.
Speaker 4: And then you know, sometimes we'll stack things and do do the thundershirt. We'll use it unsented dryer sheet and rub it on the trunk of their body lightly to reduce the static electricity. And then there's some very good veninary drugs ranging from reconcile to Xanax generic Xanak. We have one dog going back to the other canine cocktail at sixteen pound door bells. The other one is Kyote. He's for kuah Wah. He's pomerating Chihuahua and Yorky and well he has the worst noise phobias and the only thing that will work for him. If it's understorms, or it's for the July or start a hunting season. Not where we live, the only thing that will work is xenac Man. It just works. If there's understorms in the forecast, we give it to him. And if something all of a sudden there's a crazy shotter out of the blue kind of bolt of lighting and the thunder hit. We put him on xanex and it worked about twenty minutes. But it's amazing. If he doesn't have it, he just trembles and salivates and yawns, and it's like it's sad to watch. But on xanix, just happy Camper and those things. Those are inexpensive, really inexpensive, But working with your veterinarian you can solve some of these things that people just think, Oh God, the worst thing. He's got to put up with it. And it's something if you had your young child that was having these same kind of things, you'd be seeking help at highest levels of trying to prevent it.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And in fact, my little fourteen year old kat saren her wellness check this past March. I believe it was for the first time we used the Kitty thundershirt and it was marvelous. It was marvelous. She's one of those where you have about a thirty second window for the veterinarian to actually get his hands on her. She had the most wonderful exam experience, and in the past she's had her blood work all of that type of thing were skewed results because she was so upset, so angry, so fearful. This time not a problem, and we got the exam taken care of, figured out that she is in very early renal insufficiency. So she's on a therapeutic diet and is doing marvelous.
Speaker 4: Isn't that great for the You know, Amy, we've known each other so long. We know where the dogs are buried, so to speak. Yes, you know, we've known each other long time, and it's great to learn. You know what you just described there. A few years ago, I'd see thundershirts advertised in the in flight magazine. I think this is dumb, I know, yeah, and that doesn't how the heck can this work? But it does? And like I was telling these five hundred people that were at my fear Free lecture, there's a product called Clytonosis for cat. Yes, yes, I used this on this tour. And I remember that I described that box. It was like mounting around well to feel a way helped. And then the people wanted me to show how to give a pill, how to pill a cat on live TV, on a cat that's never been in a studio ever met And I'm telling you, between feel away, the pheromone and clipnosis, I never failed to just open that. And this cleptonosis is for the listeners. It's like if it's on the back of their neck, right where mama grabs a cat a little kitten to pull it around, to carry it from nest to nest, and it just clips on there. It doesn't hurt. In fact, before I use it on a cat, I always put it on myself, and then I have the owner put it on their own arm before I put it on, so they can see that it's not going to hurt and clip that's hang on. I'd open the cat's mouth, I'd give it a pill, I'd close it up, and then I'd tell you about the end of the segment. The phones would be lighting up on the internet. You know, what is that thing? Where can I buy it?
Speaker 3: Where can you get it?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: And that leads to the question where can people find the feel away and the adaptaile, of course is from the veterinarian, but comfort zone with DAP, where can they find these?
Speaker 4: You get them through your veterinarian and a lot of times if you have a progressive veterinary practice, they're already using it there, so a lot of times you don't know. You can't smell it, but it's in there, and so these are available from your venoms. You can also ask your veternin if you want to purchase them online. There's a lot of new programs now like that street dot com where you can purchase a really competitive prices, but your local veterinarian still is in the loop, so all the purchases go into the medical records. You don't feel like, oh gosh, I love my VET, but I don't want to pay it. It's probably too much, so I'm gonna sneak around by this, but I hope they don't find out. Now you can go through vet street dot com with your veterinarian and there it's still a really competitive price, but your veterinarian E or C is in the loop and it's in the medical record.
Speaker 3: That's actually how I get the flea and the HeartWare medication for my dog and cat is through vett Street, and as Marty says, all the records are there and you oftentimes you get it more quickly because you know, my local veterinarian can't stalk the world and have everything there all the time. So it's really a very convenient way to do it.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you one thing about veteran's far we close. Do you know when I say our prayers every day is always the three p's. I pray that my actions today and you know, with this interview helped people in the profession, and what a noble profession. There's only a little over sixty thousand of us, so we wouldn't even fill one of the college stadiums in Texas. And there's not very many of us. And it's really typically something that starts at an early age where you want to be a veterinarian or you want to work in a veterinary hospital, and it's really a labor of love. It is not financially lucrative for the average veterinarian, and it's amazing. I'll ask a large conference, as I did last week, how many of you have never missed a day of work in a career, and some of these careers are forty, fifty, sixty years and the sea of hands goes up people that have never missed a day of work because they love what they do and they love the pet that they work with, and they're underutilized. Most cat owners now say that the probably going to the veterinarian is stressful and three out of four of them say they don't want to take the cat to the veterinarian unless it's sick. Well, we know cats hide their illness, so on they take a cat to the metwin. You know what, Thick, A lot of these things are not going to be treatable though you just talked about that wellness of them. That's when you catch things early on before others unnecessary pain, expense or worse. And there's so many things we can do to prevent problems from beginning with keeping their IDENTI body weight, daily oral care, you know, robust parasite control programs and those things are going to save you money without sort of changing the path.
Speaker 3: Right, and we want our cats and our dogs to live all the lives that they've been given, and that just blesses us with more furry love.
Speaker 4: Well, I wrote the Healing Power Pad and we're going to do an update. The book came out exactly during nine to eleven, and Amy with your twenty four or five books, whatever you do. You know how sometimes it's a bad timing issue.
Speaker 3: I had the same situation. My Cutting Edge Pet Care book came out at the same time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is award winning book. That didn't do very well ridden with a former New York type reporter and but we know, we know it don't make us feel good that they're actually good for us. And the one thing that needs to be updated, so much of this stuff with how dogs help with increasing serum cholesterol and increasing survivability a heart attack, sniffing out cancer proven children's like these scores. But now you know a lot more about cats. And I think the one the University of Minnesota is Stroke Research Center that shows if you have a cat, you're forty percent less likely to have a heart attacker stroke, a cardiovaster incidant in your life. You know, this little granddaughter of mine two and a half, she's been you know, day one with two pugs, Willie Bruce and a cat, Nemo, and she's going to have less allergies asthma and exita her entire life. And that newest study that just came out probably a couple of months ago, your air problems, if you are doctor visits, if you are missed days of school, then they're actually going to live longer. So what a gift you could give my granddaughter or any child from at an early age. Is this really a gift of a better life through sharing your life with a pet. So think of this pet not as an animal like I did when I was a young boy on the family farm. Not even a pet, not even a family member. This is a life support system, cleverly disguised as a four legged family member, and one that you never come home and find a suitcases packed. You never come from the cat on the counter. I'm out of here. I found somebody else. It is so predictable, so needed in these topsy turvy times when you can lose your job, you could lose your four on one k, you could lose your home. You'll never live the unconditional love of them.
Speaker 3: I think that is the perfect note to close on. We are out of time, but I would like to thank doctor Marty Becker and the producers for making pet Peeves possible. Now, I dare you to join me next week for Pet Peeves on pet Life Radio for the next installment of What Hisses You Are? Email me suggestions by dialing up petlife radio dot com and clicking on the pet Peeves logo, and don't forget to subscribe to the free pet Peeves newsletter available at Shojaii dot com woofs and purs until next time. And I hope your dog and cat are already well adjusted and beloved members of the family. But if their manners need fine tuning, check into getting your pet vet checked and that helped with the behavior expert. After all, you don't want your dogs and cats to get peed.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: You're madder than a junkyard dog and you're not gonna take it anymore. Your feathers are ruffled, your danders up, and you've got a definite bone to pick. Join us each week on pet Peeves, this show that lets you dig through the dirt and unleash your passion for pets. Your host, pet expert and award winning author Amy Shojai, we'll talk about what makes you how and what this is you All pet Peeves every week on demand only on petlight Radio dot com