Speaker 1: Check Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly podcast. Catch the show Monday through Fudday, ten am to noon on Check.
Speaker 3: I think you're gonna want to hear this.
Speaker 2: Your local sports coverage lives here.
Speaker 3: Two nothing It's Alva not so fast Cohole Breadth with Don Taylor. I say that the winner of the draft lottery should be the winner of a two man loose.
Speaker 4: And Rick Dolly wall I had a cherry tree up a little Ricky. I used to go up that tree and just sit there for hours and munch on those cherry.
Speaker 2: Years Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 3: Ten o'clock in downtown Vancouver and brother Paul Carson's studio. Thanks for tuning in, folks. It's Donnie and Dolly the team on Check. Don Taylor, along with Rick Dolly Wall Right Henderson is our producer. He's the man at the controls or director of the Voice of God is Derek One.
Speaker 4: How are you lovely? Couldn't be better?
Speaker 3: In the national Honkken tag over the weekend. I don't know if you're aware of this, but wow, Brady Kachuk is going to join his brother Matthew in Florida for four Draft picks, including the ninth and twenty fifth overall picks at Friday's draft, also a second rounder and in twenty twenty seven, first rounder in twenty twenty nine. That is top ten protect now as we speak, or at least it was scheduled to be as we speak. But around ten o'clock our time, Ottawa GM Steve STOs, the former Kduck defenseman, talking to the media. So we hope to get a clip or two or some information on the Brady Kachuck trade from Steve Staos in the next couple of hours. We hope at least just your thoughts on this trade and Florida very very aggressive. They reunite the Kachuck brothers, or unite the Kentuck brothers. They haven't played at the NHL level, and maybe what it means for the Canucks going for it. I have a few thoughts on that, okay.
Speaker 5: First of all, Kajak said after the season, I'm fully committed to the Sins. I'm fully committed to the city. He says, Oh, this is all a di draft.
Speaker 3: We've got that clip, okay.
Speaker 5: But here's the problem, Donny, So now you have a few weeks later, you get the ball rolling. He met with Steos in New Jersey last month setting the foundation gaving four teams. This is scary for Canadian teams because the Kachuk brothers, Quinn Hughes. What's the point of drafting these guys. But they're not leaving at the draft or the year after the draft. They're leaving two or three contracts later. People need to realize this isn't a draft thing. They're leaving five, six, seven, eight years later. It's really bad. So okay, but done done. But don't say don't draft Americans high. We're not worried about Americans being drafted in round six and seven. Don't draft Americans if you're a Canadian city high because these guys are leaving six, seven, eight. This looks like a US Olympic thing. Hella buck Larkin. All these guys, now Kuchuck, they're all asking to be out.
Speaker 4: I don't know if.
Speaker 5: It's a like the NBA. They're getting other guys to recruit. Wrensky might be on the move. They're getting buddies to recruit buddies.
Speaker 3: I don't know this is really brothers in this case.
Speaker 4: Brothers in this case.
Speaker 3: But I mean, but it's a question that has to be asked. Yes, if you don't want, let's run this Brady Kuchuk clip from back in April, late April. This is Brady Kuchuk who got the clip right there. This is Brady Kuchuk, captain of the Ottawa Senators, the leader of the Ottawa Senators, and this is after they were eliminated by the Carolina Hurricanes round one of the playoffs. And this is Brady who was wasn't part of the locker room clean out because of the birth of a child. Yes, So later on he met with the media and talked about how he was tired about all the speculation about him leaving Ottawa, like.
Speaker 6: I've answered this hundreds of times that none of that I feel like I've never shown, I've never said, none of those things ever came out of my mouth. And quite honestly, it's just getting frustrated. It's become a distraction, and because I've I have been fully committed to this team, to the city, and it's just becoming a distraction, frustrating.
Speaker 4: To deal with. Wow, and then a few weeks later, get me out of here.
Speaker 3: It sounds like he lieded. So there's look he's going to Florida to join Matthew kuld Chuck. And what did Matthew could Chuck do in twenty twenty three? He bolted Calgary right, and the players are more and more are running the league, or at least seemed to be in charge of player movement, which of course is you think about it. It's their right to do. But you could go back to, you know, Johnny Goudrou god rest his soul. Uh left Calgary for Columbus. What's gonna happen with Austin Matthews? You mentioned, Uh, you mentioned Connor Hellibuk, who recently committed himself to Winnipeg. Now there's all you he wants out, sure, I mean, and and a lot of it is because because you don't hear this out of Montreal, no, you know, like because they're winning and they've got this great future and of course that tradition and how tremendous it is to play in Montreal.
Speaker 4: But I don't want to.
Speaker 3: Make the playoffs the last two years exactly, and they're they're they're a solid young team. And now now this happens, and good on Steve Stales. I think it's smart to make this move now because of his He's making eight million dollars a year. You know, by today's NHL standards, eight million is a pretty good deal for bradycheck. So he's got a couple of years left in his contract. It's a smart move to do it now versus when you're more desperate and you're not going to you're not going to get as much. But look, it's something you have to think about. I mean, Chase read is. We have Chris Peters coming on from Flow Hockey scouting guru looking ahead to Friday's draft. He's got Chase Reid, I believe at number three where the Canucks draft.
Speaker 5: Canucks have them high. Yeah, Cannucks have him as their number one raided defense.
Speaker 3: This is Chase Reid at number three or the Canucks draft? Do you not? Do you not have to at least think about it. I don't care four or five years down the road, down the road you don't want you wanted this to happen with, like Quinn Hughes again, like no, like im sorry, you have to think about it. At least you have to be very very sure you've got that. And it's not so much even an American thing, as an American player and what's his character? Like, you know, can you can you be sure of that at that age? I'm not. I'm not so sure, but I think you have to investigate it more than maybe you would in the past. I don't have anything wrong.
Speaker 5: With that, but I will say to you, Dempko, Garland, Besser, Miller all signed extensive long term deals in Vancouver when they could.
Speaker 3: Have hit the London Miller now stop, but why stop?
Speaker 5: They're looking at UFA battest and they said, we want to sign brock Besser signed in Vancouver for seven years on July first year.
Speaker 3: The exception up here, he had all the opportunity to defend these guys on one out exactly.
Speaker 5: There are some Americans that love playing in Canada. Brock Besser's won July first. He could have signed in San Jose, he could have signed multiple cities.
Speaker 3: He said, Nope, you disagree with me that you shouldn't like, go out of your way. You know, vet these players as much as much as possible to make sure they want to stick around in Canada, that they have the character to go through a rebuilding process, because these guys they can't they they can't have they couldn't handle that. They want out and and and you know, look and again it's their right right to do that. But just thinking of your customers and your fans and the other players on the team, you got to make sure you got the right guys if you can.
Speaker 4: Drive, absolutely, you know.
Speaker 5: But look at Mitch Marner, a Canadian bolt at his hometown.
Speaker 4: It happens. It's happening everywhere, don It's sadly dude.
Speaker 3: So you you're.
Speaker 5: Okay with That's okay? What did I'm telling you? There are some Americans that love playing in Canada. Some don't you mentioned Montreal, Lane, Hudson, co Coffield America.
Speaker 3: I just said that's that. Look that I think it's more about winning than it is about nationality, to be honest with you. But you know that in some cases, look, Americans are the only nationality in the National Hockey League who have the option of playing for a team in their home country. Yes, right, Swedes, Russians check that, that's that's not the case with them. So I understand it to some extent, but you still got to make sure you got the right guy. But he wasn't the right guy. Here Mumbling his way through interviews, you know at the end, Don even before that, quitting on shifts near the end.
Speaker 4: He it was clearly not the right guy.
Speaker 3: If you're you're defending, I'm not defending what happens when he comes to town.
Speaker 4: All's see what happened.
Speaker 3: Brady Kuldchuck goes to Ottawa. We're gonna play them four or five times a year.
Speaker 4: You know what's funny.
Speaker 5: All these Americans want to leave because they're tired of losing, and this and that. Quinn Hughes got tired of losing. If the Canucks were winning and it were consistent of winning, he would have said that, Yeah, so there you go. Well, okay, there's Elias Peterson's in town. He's done nothing but lose. He hasn't asked to be traded.
Speaker 3: You know, what's your point?
Speaker 5: My point is it's a single case by case. Everyone's different. Some guys love Canada. Ellis Peterson's got a million reasons to ask for a trade out of Vancouver.
Speaker 4: He never does.
Speaker 3: Rick, You've been never the leader the captain of teams asking out Brady kuld Chuck and Ottawa. Quinn Hughes in Vancouver's brother, both American captains, and you go go back to Johnny Gudro, go back to Matthew Kuld Chuck, all due respect to Gudrou, I'll go, I'll go, I'll go with something else. Would you think and this is a completely different job. Was tursa fit here Vancouver? He lived in.
Speaker 4: Point Robbers I lasted one year. He wasn't a fit And uh.
Speaker 3: There's something there, like you got to make sure you got the right guy. Brock Besser seems like the right guy.
Speaker 4: Yes, right, brock Besser loves this city.
Speaker 3: What about Connor Helibook? Now he wants home, he.
Speaker 4: Wants Larka wants out. You know, you know it's now there's.
Speaker 3: That's more about losing well with Larkin and perhaps hellipok as well. There I signed the contract.
Speaker 5: They're worried in Columbus about Warensky Darni there, and there's a lot of rumblings about him wanting out.
Speaker 3: That's an American city.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know, but it's still why are these guys wanting out? Everybody wants out. The the NBA thing, let's go to a winner win the championship. Well, there's only one team that wins the championship.
Speaker 3: And to some extent, I agree with you, like, it's more about going to a winner. Are you paying attention? It's more about going to a winner than it is leaving for for your your home country, your homeland. But I just think it's something you have to take it to consider it. Okay, So let's let's let's let's let's do this. Okay. We talked about Chase Reid. Yeah, it was on the show on Friday. Ye projected to be probably a top five pick, maybe the top defenseman pick. I picked on on Friday. Playing an American from Michigan, I believe playing for the Sue Greyhounds in Canada the OHL the last couple of years. This is a Chase Reid from Friday on the possibility of being selected by a Canadian NHL team.
Speaker 7: I think being in the Siue definitely helped me train for that. Being welcomed in by the Sioue fans in the Canadian environment, it definitely helped. And yeah, I would have no problem coming to playing in a Canadian market. I mean, hockey's the biggest thing in Canada, so I feel like that'd be that'd be pretty cool.
Speaker 3: There you go, So I would what do you mean, there you go?
Speaker 4: There actually what he's got no issue playing in Canada.
Speaker 3: I think it's just something that might hit them over time when you talk to players from other teams. You play with the national team down on the States for the American national team, and you hear how much they're paying for taxes or how much how little they're paying for tax a lot of factors. How you know how how great it is to play in your homeland, and you know at first you you're just happy to be drafted anywhere, absolutely, but maybe over time things happen and you change your opinion. So Chase Reid, I'm not so sure he's the guy they would they wanted the fact I have a feeling he's going to go to San Jose and the end up with that.
Speaker 5: Would you wouldn't be wrong in thinking that.
Speaker 3: All right, what should we do the pow? You Ryan, should we do the poll? Now? The water and up? Actually, you know what, let's save it for one of our open segments.
Speaker 8: I'm just listening to Steos. So Steve Staves just confirmed there was a trade request. Brady Brady Gash because the first question was the first question was you know what's changed? Because I think Steve Staves actually said it would be nonsense, the topic of trading trading Brady could chuck a few months ago. The first question was so like, what's the difference now, and he said, the difference now is trade request by Brady.
Speaker 3: So but you you mentioned nonsense apparently what it wouldn't have been nonsense?
Speaker 8: Well, the possibility of him being traded a few months ago, Steve Steale says, was nonsense, right, because they were happy to have them all that stuff.
Speaker 3: But then it just turns out wouldn't have been exactly.
Speaker 8: He's also saying kind of the same things we heard from Rutford and that he's like he said, he said something about you know, it's became clear over the year. So again this is a this is a there was a lot of runway on this of him, you know, looking like he wanted to move on.
Speaker 3: And by the way, been a lot of talk for a long time in Ottawa about Brady ku chuck.
Speaker 8: Well, yeah, and that's you guys about him, you know, woe is me? The topic of conversation. The topic of conversation also came up because you and your brother started a podcast and that included your dad yapping about your teammates about playing in Canada.
Speaker 3: So you guys are creating.
Speaker 8: A noise yourself like I'm sorry, don't say this like woe is me thing, it's all made up?
Speaker 3: Come on, yeah, okay, so we got let's let's we should bring more of how this deal relates to the Canucks. Coming up, will also introduce that waddling dog pole question which relates to the Brady Kentuck trade and the Canucks. That's later on d T m Z. Is it just me? Coming up in the eleven o'clock hour, Jamie mcclennan is going to join us. Just after eleven o'clock. Elliott Frieman was supposed to join us today. He has travel issues. We're not sure where he's going, but he's got travel issues. Jamie has decided to do our show what he did last Monday. So Jamie does Senators broadcasts on sports or TSN that they what do they have? Okay, of course, See do you.
Speaker 8: Ever make these fridays off?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 8: It's especially with the warm weather, you're golfing, driving around different appointments.
Speaker 3: It's not the fridays off that's the problem, Okay, buddy, it's the birth date. Big Rye, the Twitter guy coming up maybe later this hour and coming up next week. Talked about him NHL Draft and Prospects analyst, content manager for Flow Hockey. He's a former intern at USA Hockey, so we can talk to him about this whole situation with American players. Do they want to play in Canada in the National Hockey Chris Peters he's going to join on his next. Hope you had yourself a great weekend. We will talk some World Cup as well. Hope you had yourself a great weekend, folks. Chris is next, Donnie Dolly the team.
Speaker 2: Jack, Donnie and Dollie. The team is supported by Ableauctions dot Ca. Closing your business we can help.
Speaker 3: Able Auction specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner.
Speaker 5: Online events for every day from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 3: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email sales at able auctions dot ca. Do's sales at a b l E Auctions dot Ca. Monday and all of our guests today, including Chris Peters from Floor Hockey sponsored by Bison Motors. Bright deals em bettered drives are ahead at Payson Motors hit the road with huge savings going forward. Stop buy their dealership located at one sixty three one five Fraser Highway in Surrey, or check them out online at Payson Motors. Bas and T Motors dot com based one inboxes. Hopping with all comments regarding the Brady could Chuck trade, but right now we're going to talk and we'll get Chris to talk about it as well if he doesn't like. Chris Peters, NHL Draft and Prospects Analyst content manager for Flow Hockey, Chris Drouge. Just now, Chris, thanks for doing this, sir. How are you hey?
Speaker 9: I'm doing well, guys, Thanks for having me. Looking forward to talking draft and much more looking forward to the draft being over.
Speaker 3: Before we get Sorry Chris, but before we get to the draft? What I was just talking about here? You're a former intern at USA Hockey. Do America's not like us? Do they not like playing in Canada? What's happening there? No?
Speaker 9: I don't think it's that, you know, like it's it's an interesting thing. Like it was kind of funny when all those American guys, it was like the glory, like the great classes of American players Quinn Hughes and Brady Kachuck and Austin Matthews and all these players were getting drafted by Canadian teams. I was like, Ah, that's probably not exactly what USA Hockey would want in that scenario. But at the same time, I think for a lot of these guys, and specifically Brady, I think, you know, it's obviously there's a family thing on top of it, and you know, I think there's there's a lot of different elements to it.
Speaker 4: With Matthew.
Speaker 9: You know, you look back at him getting you know, essentially getting his way out.
Speaker 3: Of Calgary as well.
Speaker 9: You know, there there's always been that kind of feeling that, hey, I probably want to go play in the US. I don't think it's really the immediate pressure and other things like that. I know people have said that. I definitely don't think that was the case with Brady, you know, but certainly there was there was definitely the storm created with some podcast stuff, you know, where it felt like the writing was on the wall and and other things like that. But you know, I at this point, Austin Matthews is still in Toronto, you know, still pleased to be in Toronto.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 9: Obviously, I know Quinn leaving Vancouver is still going to be a pretty sore spot as well. But I think there were a lot of other factors there too.
Speaker 3: Okay, the draft Friday, you have Gavin mccannon number one in your top thirty two going into Friday's first round. Any question, he goes to the Leafs.
Speaker 9: It seems sem to be dwindling.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 9: I think that the Leafs did their due diligence. It just seems like that that's where it's going. And you know, I know that Gavin had told a number of teams that he spoke with at the Combine that he was essentially told that he was going to go there. And really, I think, you know, it makes a lot of sense. They really the Leaf's getting the number one pick. You know, I think Gavin is more of a complimentary player than he is a cornerstone player, and that's a good thing for them because they need that they have some cornerstone players already in their system. So I think that he's a guy that can can potentially compliment.
Speaker 3: That on top of it.
Speaker 9: You know, I think when you look at Gavin McKenna, the biggest separating factor between him and the other guys that are available in the drafts right now is I think you look at the highest potential offensive upside and that's him. He's proven it at the WHL level, He's proven at the collegiate level. He's a high end score. There are other elements of his game that are going to have to be cleaned up, and there's certainly some people that have concerns about his ability to play in the toughest minutes and other things like that, with a little bit too perimeter play. I do think as he gets older and is he gets a better understanding of what he's gonna need to do, I think that'll come along. Because the offensive stuff that he has, you really can't, you know, expect to get that in a lot of different players. I think that's the separating factor. I view him as a one hundred point winger potentially over the course of his career. That's probably what separates him a little bit. I think that you know, Toronto sees that and they can't pass that in order to go you know, get maybe that defenseman, even though I think it's gonna be harder and harder for them to find that top four defense even you know, yes they went and got Darren Radish and other things, but a long term number one defenseman, I think it's gonna be a lot harder to come by.
Speaker 5: Hey, Chris, everybody says, oh, who are the Canucks taking at three? But it really depends on what happens with picks one and two. Do you see Shan Jose taking a defenseman? What's your gut saying about san Jose?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean it's been tough to really pin down san Jose. Last year, you know, there was the whole thing with with Misa and in front Dell where they going to potentially take them. There was a lot of chatter about the potential of that year. I think that they are still probably having those discussions and maybe don't know themselves whether it's going to be Stenberg or I think it's really the debate is between him and Chase Reed. Chase Reid is the right shot defenseman, offensive you know, offensive guy guy that can really they need a right shot defenseman. I think that Reid also put would be their number one defense prospect ahead of Sam Dickinson, who had, you know, an up and down rookie year this year. I really like Dickinson though, I think he's gonna be a good player. But you know, I think, to me, if I'm looking at it, the opportunity to get a high end wing versus that potential top pairing defenseman, to me, it should always go to the defenseman if it's close. And I wonder if that's really the debate they're having now that said, Evar Stenberg would be a great complimentary player. Vermcklin celebrity. They play a similar style, very good, you know, both ends of the ice. They are more complete players. They have a real good competitive drive, and they're both dynamic players. But man, I look at the Sharks. I just say, as I look at this organization where it's headed. Yes, Chase Reid's not going to help you right away, but gosh, I do think the upside there of a potential number one or top pairing defenseman is really enticing Chris.
Speaker 5: It's going to be fascinating in Vancouver if Capitol letters, if Maholt and Stenberg are available, do you draft for position or best player available? If you're the Canucks at three and Maholt tran Stenberger there.
Speaker 4: Wow, what do you do?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 9: I think it's it's it's so much tougher of a conversation than just simply best player available. I think you look at where the Canucks are is an organization right now, the road ahead for them, and what they need to do long term. Do I think that Stenberg is the better of the two players at this point?
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 9: I think that Stenberg is a guy that has you know, maybe eighty ninety point potential at the NHL level, a guy that could be a top line winger, a guy that could make a lot of plays for you down the stretch. But I also look at the opportunity with Caleb Malhotra being a strong two way center, a guy that has great, you know, character, a guy that could be a leader, a guy that can do a lot of different things. I'm I really like Caleb. On my board, it's Stenburg ahead. But gosh, you know what teams build through the wing, you know, like they don't. And so that's the hard part about this discussion is I think you have to have positionality is a part of the value structure of when they're picking a player. You want to pick whoever is going to be the best player, but you don't necessarily want to, you know, leave anything on the table in terms of actual roster building. And I think they have a real discussion on their hands there, and they should probably also include you know, Vigo Bjorke in that discussion for that matter, if you really want to talk about center and other things. I think it's unlikely, but it's still it's continuing to expand that discussion because right now you're kind of in a position where you need a little bit of everything as you kind of continue on this path of you know, maybe a more patient approach.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I'm looking at your top thirty two for the NHL Draft on Friday, first round on Friday. So the Cannucks pick twenty fourth and thirty three, They've got ten draft picks overall. I'm looking at some similar names around twenty four. Jack Hextall and Liam Ruck, Xavier of Villanus, some really good names in there in terms of the all named team. Chris, Hey, give us a dark horse, Give us somebody that Canucks might grab at twenty four or thirty three that would really help them long term.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean it's it's it's really interesting to kind of see where everything's going right now. I think that there's a lot of questions about and this is true every draft after twenty it could be a real crapshoot about who's available and what's there. You know, as I look at kind of just the different things that I see in my in my in my own list, you know, guys like Hextall, like he might not be as exciting, but he's a good, high energy player. Although if we're talking about, you know, our discussion earlier about US players, how many US players do you want to necessarily bring into Canada anymore? You know, and I totally understand that too, you know, I look at some of these guys like even like a Mathis Preston, who is you know, played for Vancouver Giants this year, highly skilled player, Like let's say you don't draft Evar Stenberg, but you're able to get a guy like a Mathis Preston later. Now, Preston came into the year as a potential top ten guy, didn't really work out that way. I think there's been some consistency issues. I think there's different things that you know, he's not a big stout guy. You know, that's a player that you kind of want to take a look at a little bit further. Preston is a guy that I would say, you know, all of a sudden, you're having those conversations. If he's high enough on your list, that's that's a guy you could potentially look at. A guy that like, even a little bit further down the board, you might say Alessandro Diorio, another center. You know, if you say you go defense or if you go wing or whatever, you know, you're looking at guys I like like the two way play of Diorio, who played for the Sarniat Thing this year. His numbers were down year over year, but he also had some injury issues this year and was on a pretty poor Sarnia team, But I like his two way skills. You know, there's there's all sorts of different players that you can kind of look at in these ranges and see where there's some value if you want to go further down even I mean, there's plenty of options, a lot of good defensemen I think in the second tier of this draft that should be available early in the second.
Speaker 3: This has been great. Chris and I have paid a lot of attention to you. But I am fascinated by the picture over your left shoulder. I think I know what that building is. Is it the old Chicago Stadium.
Speaker 9: It is the old Chicago State I saw my first saw my first NHL game there in nineteen eighty eight, so I had to commemorate that when I was four years old. So it was Hawk's maple leafs and that was my FIRSTEL game. So that's why Chicago Stadium is behind me.
Speaker 3: Here's my take on seeing games in Chicago, even at the United Center. I could leave after the anthem and I'd be happy.
Speaker 9: Yeah, pretty much. I mean it's it's remarkable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so special, Chris. This is Christmas for so many people, especially people in the business. Say you're in. We can't wait until Friday. Thanks so much for doing this, my friend.
Speaker 9: Hey, my pleasure. Guys, thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: You bet. Chris Peters NHL draft in prospects analysts. He's a content manager at Flow Hockey, former intern at USA Hockey. Fascinating week for the Canucks. One of the biggest drafts of all time in the city. Boy oh boy, get ready for it. Four picks in the top thirty three, Wadling dog Pole question. We haven't hit it yet. It has to do with it well, the Brady could chuck cradon it's relation to the Canucks. We'll delve into that next Watling dog Pole question. Donnie Dolla the team on check looking for the ultimate Vancouver Island getaway. Head to beautiful Parksville and experience the Bayside ocean Front Resort, where every stay feels like a vacation you'll never forget. From sunrise walks on the beach to sunsets on the patio, Bayside puts you steps from the sand with ocean views in every direction, Splashing the indoor and outdoor pools, hit the fitness center, then relax with a hand crafted cocktail at the ocean front restaurant and lounge. Whether it's date night, a family trip, or a corporate event, Bayside is your perfect year round escape. Book your getaway now at two five zero, two four eight eight. Read Your Island adventure starts here. Wilding Dog poll question Experience one of Victoria's iconic destinations, the Dog Catch the World Cup at the Dog with Canada game shown live and loud on all twenty two TVs with full sound, Come sit and stay at the dog the wadling dog. Today, Rick Ryan got her up the wattling dog pop poole question, and it concerns the big trade yesterday about Brady Kachuk going from Ottawa to Florida.
Speaker 8: I kind of screwed up.
Speaker 4: Oh, boil boy, boil boy.
Speaker 8: I supposed to give it to Derek faster than I did.
Speaker 5: It's karma. It's karma for you ripping and tearing us before the show. This is karma. I don't even have the question.
Speaker 8: No, no, Derek's gonna have it in sec He just needs a second because of our technic karma karma and heps we're going through at the moment.
Speaker 3: Well, I thought maybe this was you being in a snit because this was my bottom justin and you didn't like it. So maybe you just decided not to tell Derek about it.
Speaker 8: I just wanted to ask him.
Speaker 3: Mary.
Speaker 5: There it is, there, it is who got the better deal for their American captain? The senators of the Canucks look at this A thousand votes already, it's hopping. It's popping, not stopping. Sixty nine percent say Vancouver, Ottawa, thirty one percent the Canucks I think it makes more sense because they got.
Speaker 4: Three bodies, warm bodies.
Speaker 5: They got warm bodies, and they got a defenseman and zee Bouyam, who, let's be honest, he's young. He's only nineteen twenty years old, and he's going to be a top four defenseman for a long time in the city. So Ottawa was rushed into this deal. You heard the GM today say at a meeting in New Jersey last month, Brady said, trade me. So they kind of rushed into it, you know. And then he gave the list of four teams, so they didn't get to talk to all thirty two teams of thirty one. So there was a lot of things working against Ottawa on this.
Speaker 3: Well, I would go Canucks because and look as Tesdale said anything about the possibility, and Ryan, you've been keeping an eye on the Steve stals press conference, which is going on last time I checked right now in Outawa. I don't know if he's finished anything about a trade using those draft picks to get a player. For now.
Speaker 8: He said that his phone has been ringing off the hook when it comes to nine and twenty five. This is him on keeping the ninth overall pook pick. I wouldn't see that.
Speaker 3: He wouldn't see that they're trading it or did they keep it? Okay, So the thing is with me, the way I look at this is that Autowa and Vancouver are in a different spot right now.
Speaker 4: Yes they are.
Speaker 3: Like Ottawa's made the playoffs the last a couple of seasons. We had Travis Green on last week. He's had a great job with that hockey team. Some people felt he was an Adams candidate. Of course, I thought Adam Foot was an Adams a candidate back in late October, but that's another story. Altogether. They're more of a now team and what they got in return speaks way more to the future. It was a deal that a team like Vancouver I think would be and their fan base would be more satisfied with. So he says, like, good possibility. I'm paraphrasing ear of trading that ninth overall pick. That makes a lot more sense to me because they're they're on the up and up that that team and this is this is hit them pretty hard, and I wouldn't be surprised that they want to get somebody for now. But as far as this moment goes, yeah, the Cannucks I think got the got the better deal, he said. He said multiple was ninth overall too. By the by the way, he.
Speaker 8: Said multiple times today Steve Staos did, what this is one player getting traded. We're not taking a step back, We're not redoing all those things.
Speaker 3: So versus what the Canucks I have said, Look, this is this is part of a rebuild. Right there. They actually went out eventually and said the words. So that deal I think made a lot more sense for the Canucks initially. But we'll see what the Senators do with it, what they're planning.
Speaker 5: We shall see what they do with those picks. Definitely gonna move nine, it seems like for sure.
Speaker 8: I also wonder if they're hoping for a bounce because of how apparently it was in the locker room post Olympics. Not all that great. Yeah, they made the playoffs, I get that, but I mean they got swept in the playoffs.
Speaker 3: So they had a lot of injury issues too, especially in the blue line. The situation with line of Salmark, who by the way, was excellent in the playoffs. So there was scot of negatives going on for that team. With all due respect, but they still are with a team that made the playoffs, and you know, Lord knows where they were headed. And now they get thrown this curve ball. Let's see what they do with it. You know, Ryan, you just said, it's no surprise that they're gonna make a deal because they're much more of a now team. And what about this possibility. This isn't something that's gonna, you know, get them over the hump in terms of getting past the first round, which they haven't done the last two years. But they were in the playoffs. There was all this talk the last week or so about and Brady could yuck is a left winger? All this talk about Jake debrask who's a left winger. Would he be a fit in Ottawa.
Speaker 5: That's a good point, but he's got trade protections. The Canucks have got seven guys with no moves. It makes it a whole lot short.
Speaker 3: But there's a lot of talk about it though we're sure they're inacted.
Speaker 5: But it's up, but it's not in the control of the Canucks when you give so much trade protection. Jake Debrescan said, no, I don't want to go to Ottawa, and the conversation deals over.
Speaker 3: But he also said at one point late in the season that I want to be the bill doesn't fit his game, and then he dialed that back a couple of days later. It was emotional at the time he made that comment, and then LKC he dialed it back, but I think there was some truth in it, and a lot of people would might might not blame him for that.
Speaker 5: Well, the Ottawa's looking for a right shot d there's a guy named Philip Peronic that the Canucks should be on the phone with Ottawa right now to see if they can get one of those nine or twenty five picks.
Speaker 4: Make it more first round picks for Vancouver right.
Speaker 3: And then there's the I think Patrick Johnson and the province talked about the possibility of doing some swap. San Jose needs a defenseman, what about Philippronic and something else for number two? Absolutely just just a thought, but just the fact that he plays, getting back to Jake debrosk here uh the same position as Brady Kachuk, that led me to think that maybe there's a twenty plus caliber. I would say that even Jake might might agree with that, but just just food for thought. Ryan had an excellent point. I thought it was like, there's a first time for everything, first.
Speaker 4: Time for everything.
Speaker 3: In the break and even before the show, we talked about this. When Brady Kachuk returns, and we're gonna have Jamie mcclennan, who does the Senators broadcast ones, and he's going to be on the show at the top of the hour, just after eleven o'clock. What's it going to be like when he returns, When Brady Kuchuk returns to Ottawa. And you know, the general thinking these days, and we saw it with Mitch Marner, is that you have the video tribute, there's an ovation, maybe a standing ovation, everything his plight. Then the player touches the puck for the first couple of times and he gets booed. What about this with Quinn Hughes, he left no no video, what about no video tribute at all? He started start a trend.
Speaker 4: But why he's gonna get one? Why wouldn't he get one?
Speaker 3: Because he said he said goodbye?
Speaker 4: Mitch Marner got one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so explain the Mitch Murner, So why not start something?
Speaker 8: Okay, Well, I'd argue they shouldn't have done in Toronto either.
Speaker 4: Rick.
Speaker 8: The difference with the difference with Marna.
Speaker 3: Got carjacked and he had people tweeting out on social media. His home address was that he had to get out of there. Like that's that's a difference.
Speaker 4: Was way different than this, Quinn.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but that also the difference with Marner is he was a free agent. He ere in the right he left. Quinn was not a free agent. He wanted out. Brady not a free agent. He wanted out. I think he's gonna stand.
Speaker 3: But here's the difference. Sorry, right, here's the difference.
Speaker 4: Quinn.
Speaker 3: He was quit on shifts. You saw that California road trip near the end of his time on the ice, Yeah, he did. He's like the captain of the team.
Speaker 5: The interviews were terse and short, and he clearly didn't want to be here.
Speaker 4: There's no question.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so that's what I mean. I think teams need to start to stand up for themselves. Screw it. But if you want to honor him at the end of his career as a queen hughes Night for his time here. Sure, But but in the moment, if a guy says he wants out, that should be the end of it.
Speaker 3: Now they didn't under circumstances. Now, guy, he wants out, No the Mitch Marner I can understand, but he he's a free agent. But the bottom line is that it was pretty pretty clear that he wanted out. But there I think they were extenuating circumstances there which most people would understand. But visually you saw Quinn hughes.
Speaker 4: Quinn's no question, there's no question.
Speaker 3: I'm with you. I'm agreeing with you here. Like the body of the language was horrible, with it would be this is that other players would see that and say to themselves and the Vancouver they treat their ex players and o their players and their ex players like crap, I don't want to I don't want to go there, So they might say that, so you might want to. Even even though you're you feel that it would be right to not give him a video tribute, you do it just because you worry about the future.
Speaker 8: I think you need to be confident enough as I love.
Speaker 3: It'd be great for our show.
Speaker 8: The problem is to they set a president because they gave one to Miller. Miller want it out too, So if you're going to set the president, you would have said it with Miner Because speaking of quiding on chips.
Speaker 3: Oh, he didn't say whoa, whoa. Hold on a second, what about your least favorite Cannuck of all time? They retired his number. There's a there's one right there. Yeah, that was one right there. But he didn't get a video tribute.
Speaker 8: That was before the time of the number retired. Sure, sure, but that's a post career that's.
Speaker 3: All I remember. I'm pretty sure he got a video trip.
Speaker 5: Well the first time he when he came back, he did. He did, the first.
Speaker 3: Time he came back with Florida, if I'm not mistaken, there was some sort of a hand problem and he didn't he didn't play that game, right, So I can't remember when he when he first came back with it's my members. We're now in this age great customers can can can figure this out for us. And I thanked him for that, but I mean they did retire his number and you hate the guy.
Speaker 8: Well, no, We're now in this age of everything is rosy and we do this and literally you play five games for an organization and you get some sort of acknowledgment whenas video tribute was.
Speaker 3: Amazing, like honestly, or pull a sack. I just I never played a game.
Speaker 8: I don't know the huge one.
Speaker 5: He still got a video that was one of the interesting draft picks in Canuck's history.
Speaker 8: Especially when you're talking about especially when all these guys are talking about this new culture in the organization wanting people to be here. Well, then don't honor a guy that basically threw a middle finger up at you to leave.
Speaker 3: See. I draw the line at what you see on the ice, like it's one thing to to ask for a trade, but to give up on shifts, That's that's where I draw the line.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't know if I was in Autawa, I'd be feeling the same way. And I don't think Brady could chuck quit on ships. No showed in the playoffs for them this past year.
Speaker 3: Okay, here's what's coming up on the show, DTMZ is it just me? Next hour noodles Jamie mcclennan. He works for TSN and he does Autawa Centers broadcast on TSN, so he'll have a thing or two to say about Brady Kchuck leaving him for Florida. And up next Big Ryan Twitter guy. Before that, a little bit of business. Friday Able Auxs will sell industrial equipment, including two Sandvik drill rigs. Sandvick. Wasn't he a fourth overall pick for the crucks? Two John Deere three fifty g excavators, Ryan, look it up, you'll get it, you'll laugh. Fifteen large moving trucks, lawn equipment. Well, look at that something Ryan has never come close to. Storage containers, large metal sheds, golf carts, mini excavators. Work. Is there anything not in this auction? My gosh, wonderful work. Trucks and a lot more, everything from drill rigs to prefabricated metal buildings, all sold to the highest bidder this Friday. For info on this industry, does it get better? On Friday? You got the draft and this auction. For information on this industrial auction, go to ableauctions dot ca to get your industrial equipment sold at auction. Email sales Ableauctions dot ca. That's sales at ab l E Auctions dot C. Eight noodles. Top of the hour. Up next Big Rye.
Speaker 10: Donny Dolly the team on check looking for one of Victoria's most iconic stays. The award winning Waddling Dog has been welcoming guests and their dogs for over thirty years.
Speaker 5: Ten minutes from the airport in the Ferry their room glenn bented charm with modern comfort, making it a perfect home base for your island adventures. Your trip isn't complete without a stop at the legendary Waddling Dog. Pop twenty taps, wall to wall, TVs every Canucks game and UFC pay per view, plus an extensive daily happy hour, and before you go, stock up at their cold beer wine store, hundreds of local and imported options, plus exclusive Dottie and Dolly merchandise. The Dog isn't just a hotel, It's a destination. Come sentence day.
Speaker 3: Just had a big ride the Twitter guy. Interesting going goings on in the World Cup. Argentina is playing Austria. A messy missed a penalty kick but scored later on Now the all time World Cup goalscorer.
Speaker 8: Big Rye seventeen goals, Men's tournament, seventeen goals. There you go, Yeah, he's watched the highlights later the penalty kick he had.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I don't get the soccer players hit the ball, shoot the ball. Don't you know we're gonna shoot it.
Speaker 3: Hit it.
Speaker 5: You're gonna tell world class soccer players how to play the game.
Speaker 8: Sometimes they do this like they they're in the World Cup.
Speaker 4: Yes, I think they know.
Speaker 8: I know how we see it in hockey though, Rick, These guys are go super.
Speaker 3: Slow and that just with some force. Man, I'm gonna put this thing in the net. I'll see if leoneld little too fancy for a give me call. Yeah, I just it's for people that don't know. We can't show World Cup highlights. Yespn's having fun with it. They're doing She's done okay though through the years. Just so you know, have they got the the the same ones? Yeah, the same ones. They're nice. I'm just saying the Argentina has had better uniforms in the past. Norway's Mexico nice, any others. Canada's reds not black red, Rick, can Yeah, I just wanted to get a couple of items in here.
Speaker 5: Adam Foot is no longer obviously with the Canucks. He has signed on as an assistant coach in Utah. I heard he got a really good deal making him one of the top paid assistants in the NHL. That's going to help the Canucks as they got a five hundred million guys they got to pay not to work here. Wouldn't surprise me if the Canucks have interest in Kitchener Rangers Memorial Cup winning head coach. You see, Hakas Hawkas could.
Speaker 4: Be on the radar. Okay, I'm guessing here. I don't know.
Speaker 5: You see, but he's a really good coach. He could be on the radar.
Speaker 4: For the Hokus Hokus, hokus. What did I said?
Speaker 5: I was in the neighborhood, But Hocus could be on the radar for the head coaching job in Abasbord.
Speaker 4: Keep an eye on that.
Speaker 5: Former Abbey coach Jeremy Calton left New Jersey Devils. He is not coming to Vancouver. In fact, he's not going to hockey. He's got a job outside of hockey. Really and uh yeah, it's not going to be I thought. People thought, Yeah, he's a really good coach. He's apparently not going to be in hockey anymore.
Speaker 4: Donn. He's gonna get a job outside of hockey. God bless them, God bless them.
Speaker 5: When I checked in over the weekend, I was told the Canucks were not one of the teams that have showed interest in bowen byrom not yet anyways, UFA, it's gonna cost a.
Speaker 4: Ton of mine.
Speaker 3: He's not a fit here.
Speaker 5: He's not well, they got a pay z buoyam Uh. Yeah, they're both left side. I mean Bowl and Biram. I know all these people want Bow and Byron in Vancouver makes no sense. Jim Rutherford was after him hard, Capitol letters hard. But I think right now, I don't think he's a fit with the new regime.
Speaker 4: And that's it.
Speaker 3: Cole Smith.
Speaker 5: Cole Smith's a guy that Las Vegas, Donnie. If I'm the Canucks, that's the guy. You got to get grittier, you gotta get bigger, heavier.
Speaker 3: He led the playoffs. I think it hits. Is that correct? Yeah, that's the guy.
Speaker 4: If I was the Canucks's where he's from?
Speaker 3: Where? Usa?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: We can paint every American like that guy. We can't paint every American. There's too many jobs. There's not enough jobs for everybody. If you're an American and you got a job in Canada, are you gonna take it?
Speaker 4: It's the superstars leave.
Speaker 5: It's the superstars that are causing the problem. Brock Bester just signed for seven years, don seven years in Vancouver. Does that sound like an American that doesn't.
Speaker 3: Want to be all this? You're fine with all of this?
Speaker 5: I'm not fine with it if but don't pick on guys like Chase read and pretended, Oh I didn't know, But I said that you have to vet these guys.
Speaker 3: You have to make absolutely sure they how do you do how.
Speaker 4: Do you do the vetting?
Speaker 5: I asked them questions, how do you do the vetting? Hey, are you not an expert? If we draft you, are you going to leave Vancouver? Ryan Kester left Vancouver, pabl Burry left Bank. The tons of guys left Vancouver, tons of guys.
Speaker 3: You have to do something to get sure, say are you going to play the rest of your life for Vancouver?
Speaker 4: It just it doesn't work.
Speaker 3: You have to go out of your way to investigate if this player, through his parents, grandparents, whatever the case may be, just interviewing him that they have the character to go through the tough times, because there's going to be some tough times. Oh boy, you imagine. I mean, look at tough times in Ottawa and in Bratty Points when times times aren't even that bad. Yeah, I know it's a you know, there's a family situation in Florida, but it's not a good look big Rye.
Speaker 8: These guys are going to run out of landing spots.
Speaker 3: Though, well, look at in Florida Vegas.
Speaker 4: How are you going to run out of landiots?
Speaker 3: Right? That was sorry, that was that was the If.
Speaker 5: You're thirty two teams and this guys, there's expansion on the horizon, how are they going to run.
Speaker 4: Out of spots?
Speaker 3: Paying attention?
Speaker 4: Really? How are they gonna run out?
Speaker 8: Because Larkin and Brady apparently have the exact same trade list.
Speaker 3: Okay, but for teams, no, there's lots. Okay, there's four according to both of them, there's four.
Speaker 5: Saint Louis checked in and Saint Louis check in.
Speaker 3: Who cares you?
Speaker 8: The player gave him fida.
Speaker 5: Quinn Hughes wanted to go to the East coast. Yeah, and he ended up in Minnesota. Here's happened. Sure, Minnesota wasn't on his list.
Speaker 3: Minnesota was on Brady. Minnesota was on Brady because Quinn's there, that's his buddy. Boldi's there, that's his buddy. They played on the US Litte there's a bunch of buddies there. It's a buddy buddy syst But his hold on Brian's point is that they all have the same lists.
Speaker 4: Well, so, how know you that Minnesota was not on Quinn Hughes list.
Speaker 8: But how is Florida gonna have more assets to trade for Dylan Arkin? Well, how's Minnesota even going to How's Vegas going to Carolina?
Speaker 4: That's their problem. The teams are on the list.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but I just again, these guys are gonna go big, rye big little World Cup. We started with the messy goal. This is a good tweet from Kenneth Chan at the Daily Hive. The fan Festival which is closed today and tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Don't really know, especially with the matches today.
Speaker 4: I don't think.
Speaker 3: Anybody looked at the schedule of games today or something.
Speaker 8: I don't know, Uh, the fan fest though, forty one thousand people in attendance at the fan Festival on Thursday for Canada's historic victory, highly hi daily attendance yet one hundred and forty thousand people over the first six days out there at the p and E for the fan festival.
Speaker 3: It's been a big hit. And I keep saying it.
Speaker 8: You know, we showed clips on Friday out of the Amphitheater, but it's worth noting that it's so much more than the Amphitheater. That is a great spot. But they got screens all over the place there that you can be watching, and they've got tons of food and all the other stuff. But screen wise, there's a lot of different spots to watch the match if you head out to the fan festival and I can only imagine these things.
Speaker 3: They go along. They did miss a golden opportunity. Who the p and E somehow have video screens while you're on the roller coaster. Well no, that's the thing though.
Speaker 8: Playland's open right now too, so you have to have it blocked off because some people do playland.
Speaker 3: Some people do the fan fast They got it mix to two. Okay, well, but on a zipper? Huh? The zipper? What's the zipper? The ride? You don't know? It's the most underrated skin ride. What's the what? What is an amusement park history?
Speaker 4: Show the zipper? Google the zipper.
Speaker 3: It's a big yell.
Speaker 4: Not that zipper.
Speaker 3: That zipper at the pony Get your zippers right, Yeah, don't google zipper. Are you talking about the tumbling thing? Yeah? Show it. You're in a cage. It goes round, The cages go around. Looks like you're gonna hit the ground when you're How do you not know the zipper at the pen you been you obviously have on it. No, maybe it has a different name now I don't know.
Speaker 8: No, No, I mean the photo I got here is it shows the zipper. We talked about it before on the show Show the Zipper. You got to give Derek a moment. Okay, yeah, technical do not know the zipper. Like everybody's been, you've clearly not been on it. Derek agrees, this hasn't been in the zipper.
Speaker 4: Well, okay, let's you knowic zippers.
Speaker 5: I'm not talking about the zipper on your pants. I'm talking about this who hasn't been in the zipper?
Speaker 3: But really, who hasn't been in the zipper?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 3: What about Hell's Gate? That right there? Fight the hell out of me going back and forth.
Speaker 8: Didn't know that's the one that tumbles like it goes up and then like tumbles down.
Speaker 3: A Hell's Okay, take it easy. That's what your reason Hell's Gate it's unbelievable is because this thing has been around a lot longer than Hell's Gate. I don't think this is still there. Well that's a big How do you seriously you have not been you don't know what the zipper? Because it was one of those rides as a kid I went on. It wasn't the roller coaster. So this this thing looks kind of team. You go on and you realize that it is frightening, like because you because you come down it looks like you're gonna hit the ground in the last second you move up. The other one I don't like is the Mighty Mouse or the meaning what what is that?
Speaker 8: Mad mose?
Speaker 3: Mad most mighty Moss.
Speaker 8: They've got the new roller coaster out there now too.
Speaker 3: At the yellow one. Yeah, the yellow one, which this is an outstanding old school it's.
Speaker 8: Electric, that one, the yellow one. It's like the first electric roller coaster, the biggest electric roller coaster, the Zipper.
Speaker 3: You still feel like your cage door is gonna unlock. Yes, so you don't feel safe and like the bar on the roller coaster.
Speaker 4: You know who came up with this? Like good?
Speaker 3: I am good?
Speaker 4: Scary?
Speaker 3: It's you want to ride right you're in Disneyland or at the pen, and the thought goes through your hit Well, there's a lot of thoughts that go through your head. But what my overwhelming thought is why am I doing this? Like what through I guess? I guess, see you have the young kids, and you've got you've got another era of going to rides like this well ahead of you. It'll be interesting.
Speaker 8: Up next our good pal Jamie mcclennan from TSN. He does some send he does sends games on TSN, also Coast and Overdrive.
Speaker 3: He's next to Tonny t my check. Hey everyone, it's Donnie Donney and we're looking to partner with your company.
Speaker 5: We have several packages and price points to fit your budget and spread the word about your company on the show, in our podcast, and on social media.
Speaker 3: We'd love to get involved with your company. Called two five oh eight eight oh twenty two eighty two or email advertise at checkmedia dot ca. It is Monday, and all of our guests today, including Noodles standing by brought to you by Bisson Motors, Bright Deals, embedded drives ahead at Boyson hit the road with huge savings going forward. Stop by their dealership located at one six three one five Fraser Highway in Surreyer. Check them out online at Basson Motors bas Ant motors dot com. No names mentioned. We had a guest cancel on us today, so Philly did I say it? Oh yeah, Elliott canceled on us today, Freeman helping us out in his stead in his place, noodles. Jamie mcclennan from TSN, who covers the Ottawa Senators games, noodles, thanks for doing this, sir.
Speaker 1: How are you not too bad? Yes, I would imagine Elliott's busy, and you know me, I'm very busy, but I'm always quick to jump on and if there was only any news, especially that pertaining to the Ottawa Senators, then it would be good timing.
Speaker 3: Okay. So your reaction to that deal, Jamie.
Speaker 1: I mean, I want to know behind the scenes exactly what was said, and I would argue that it's probably saying, listen, I'm not going to extend here. I've been here nine years and I've got a couple more years left of my deal. Probably not going to extend. So if you want to look at options, let's work together to do that. Give you a few teams and let's work backwards from that. The unfortunate part is, you know, when you look at it, you have to say all the right and wrong things publicly until that comes down, and that's I think where people are going. Well, he said, at the year end, you know nothing come out of my mouth all of that type of stuf. But ultimately, obviously, you know, we know that's different. So, you know, I think the Florida Panthers, you know, desperately want to get back into the playoffs. They're going to reload, and I think they're, you know, one goaltender away, depending on what they do with Bret Brovsky or you know, I wonder if Connor Hellibuck's in that conversation to head south. So at the end of the day, I want to see, I will judge the Ottawa Senators take on what Steve Steos does with those picks, because if he turned that into a couple of good players that will help his team, then you know, both organizations make out. But right now, obviously the best player and the only player on the go is their captain and he's heading south to play with his brother.
Speaker 3: Who knows what goes on conversations between that end of the season press conference and yesterday's trade. But do you think this was more, your best guess, more about him wanting to play with his brother in Florida, a very good hockey team, or wanting out of Ottawa.
Speaker 1: It might be a weighted situation. A little bit of boat. And I don't think it's wanting out of Ottawa because he hates the market or hates anything. I think he just looks at hey, I've been there a long time, and I'm mean a you know, opportunity to go play with my brother. I don't think if Matthew was playing in a different organization and maybe not having as much success, that probably would have factored in as well. But you look at Florida seems to be one of the gold standard places and opportunity to win a Stanley Cup. You know, no state tax, living in your home country.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: I think everybody has to take a hard look at it too.
Speaker 3: You have some.
Speaker 1: American players that came back after winning gold medals and they got booed and you know, stuff like that. I think there's a layer to that. It might evenly be five percent out of one hundred, but it is, it might factor in, So there's a lot. I don't think. I think each case by case situation is vacuum. And you guys know it. You lived with it with Twinn Hughes, right. You know, Quinn got an opportunity to move on. You know, he could have easily said I'm going to New Jersey and nowhere else ended up in Minnesota, so you know, there it's a case by case situation. I think it just happened to be attractive that Florida wanted him, and they're in a window to win now a lot like Minnesota. So you know, I wouldn't compare them, but I would say there's a lot of similarities to some of the American players that play in Canada right now, and you know, wanting to either go south of the border or wanting an opportunity to win. And it seems like Brady, you know, chose that one.
Speaker 5: So Jamie, Now people are saying, if you're in a Canadian market, don't draft Americans high.
Speaker 1: What would you say to that, I would say it's certain. Again, I don't think it's like ninety five percent, but I think if you're a manager, you do have to ask that question. And here's here's I'll give you an example. I talked to a couple of people in management that are in Canadian teams recently, as recent as this morning, and that was brought up about and they said, well, when they had their for example, you go through your interviews at the draft, combine right, and they said that was that. One was brought up said you know, hey, if we draft you, keep in mind we're a Canadian city. It might not be for everybody. You're an American player, you know, what do you what do you make of it? And of course the player is going to give lip service and say, oh no, not a problem, not a problem. But you know, it was funny. One of the one of the managers said, well, you know, I got you on record saying that if I draft, you'd like to play here, so and they made a joke about it. I do think you have to be mindful of the burst tofigate and where they're born because whether you know, whether it's just happening now with the state of the world, or just if it happens to be let's be honest, the tax situation is not great in Canada. You know, you throw in, whether you throw in, you know some of the pressures that come with playing in a Canadian city, whether that's ban or media, you know, whether that's overblown or not. Even if that's again, I use percentages, even if that's a five percent scenario, it's part of the pie that you have to weigh in. So I think you do have to be mindful. But I'm not saying, oh no, don't draft an American player. I really don't believe in that. I believe if you build a great program, people want a piece a bit, because I'll give you an examples. Carolina is a Stanley Cup winner. They might be on a lot of people's no trade list. Yes, will they be on you know, will they come off to no trade list now? Because Carolina's built a good program and they've got a great coach there, and they seem to be kind of an ego lists and they just try to, you know, have accommodate everybody and want to win there. So I think it's more about the program that you build, and then everything that comes with that happens to be a bonus. Whether it's tax situation, whether it's weather, you know, travel, you know, division, you play in all of that type of stuff. But it factors in. I just don't think it's the top factor where whether it's Canada or US.
Speaker 5: Don't forget they said for years, don't draft Russians. Don't draft Russians, and you know they're not going to come over. They're not gonna come over. They're going to sign over there. So now we're doing it with the Americans now, so it seems to be, you know, another country. Take us back to nineteen ninety one, third round pick of the Islanders. It's different now for NHL kids the social media, we can see video. Back then we would never have got video Jamie playing junior hockey. But talk about the difference between the draft and ninety one and now the draft.
Speaker 1: So funny story, there is video of me at the draft because I became friends with their Rick Lindross because we were the only two chl Award winners leading into that draft that didn't play in the Memorial Cup. So him and I hung out. So when the draft came around in nineteen ninety one, we were in Buffalo. He invited me to sit right with his family, so my family and his family. If you look at the Lindross getting acted, you can see me with my mullet and I think my girlfriend of the wearing some weird hat and so I live on video. But you're right going back to that, it's such a different scenario.
Speaker 3: Now. That was a weird.
Speaker 1: Think about how weird that draft was because everybody knew Eric Lindross was not going to go back right, so you know, he didn't put the jersey on, which was you know, he gets drafted, he didn't put the jersey on. He forced the trade. You know, Eric's always been an outlier. He's a special person. Their family is very special. But I remember that being such a you know, a covered because he's a generational player, such a covered So I happened to be in the background. But yes, leaning up to it, those there were some amazing like I went through all because I was a second rated goaltender in that draft, I kind of went the gauntlet. I think I was interviewed by like twenty teams, so it was kind of neat. I got. It was third round, forty eighth overall. Nowadays that would be a second rounder, and I was there with my agent, Art Breeze, and I remember in the second round Detroit was really interested in me. I did like four or five different interviews with them, and Detroit took a time out and then they came back to the microphone and said Detroit would like to draft from Lethbridge of the Western Hockey League, And that's why I was playing Jamie and I went to jump out of my seat. They pushers. So they drafted my defenseman, Jamie push. Well, I gave my a hog, shook his hand and he went down and I remember my agent looking at me and goes, I have no idea where you're gonna get draft, And now it's like, oh my god. Like so anyways, you hear bunny stories that.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's like the scene in Zoolander. He thought he wanted and he went up to the stage.
Speaker 4: That was a you know what.
Speaker 3: That turned out to be a pretty good draft for the Canucks. They drafted Alex Toyina seventh overall not great, but they traded him for Marcus ne Island, so it all, it all worked out, one of the great trades in Canucks history. Very quickly. Jamie American captains leaving Canada. What's an Austin Matthews future.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that's going to be the topic of the day for you know, Toronto media.
Speaker 4: All of that.
Speaker 1: I would say, there's still probably two you know, shoes to drop in the conversation. I would say Connor Hellibuck in Winnipeg. Probably people would be a little nervous as to that situation based on his comments at the end of the season. I think Austin Matthews is a little bit different. And here's here's hear me out. And I'm not being, you know, in denial of this, but I I would argue that they've already had that conversation. I think a lot of you know, John Kik has come in, Keith Pelly. It sounds like they've talked to Austin Matthews already. And they have to they have to conduct business as usual. But I would argue, you don't go and sign Darren Radish a trade and sign for that deal if you're not confident that that Austin Matthews is passing him the puck. To me, if Austin Matthews has said, hey, you got you're on the clock for two years, because I'm going to do what you know Brady Kadchuck just did, and Matthew and and uh, you know Quinn Hughes and you know Dylan Larkin wants out, I'm going to do the same thing. I don't think they're sitting in that bucket right now as of right now. That could change, but I just don't think the Toronto maple Leafs kind of go all in on a thirty one year old right shot defenceman on an eight year deal, a eight and a half million, which is probably too much term and too much money if you didn't believe that Austin Matthews was gonna play for your team this year, So that one is a little bit different than the for me, the Hella Buck situation.
Speaker 3: Way better than Elliott. Thanks so much, Jamie, appreciate it above and beyond today.
Speaker 1: Well thanks for having me, guys.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, Jamie. Next week, thank you very much. Jamie McLean is not gonna be our last hit with him, by the way, We're gonna have mon Monday one more ohay next Monday. There our thanks to noodles are emergency replacement. He's used to being somewhat of a backup, so come going a walling dock poll question will update it next talk some World Cup. That's next. Donnie Dolly the Team un check. Donnie and Dollie.
Speaker 2: The Team is supported by Abelauctions dot ca A Closing your Business We Can.
Speaker 3: Help Able Auction specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets.
Speaker 4: In a timely, orderly manner.
Speaker 5: Online events for everything from machine shop and men then you're ftoring auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories, or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 3: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email sales at able Auctions dot Ca. That's sales at a b l E Auctions dot Ca. Wattling Dog whole question experience one of Victoria's iconic destinations, cash the World Cup at the Wattling Dog. With Canada's games, including Wednesday's Biggie shown live and loud on all twenty two TVs with full sound, Come sit and stay at the Wadleydog.
Speaker 4: Today, Rick Roy got her up the Waddling Dog pop poll question.
Speaker 5: It is concerning the big trade yesterday Ottawa sending Brady Kachuk to Florida Panthers for a whole lot of draft picks and Brady demanded the trade about a month ago with the head coach there or sorryes the GM Steve Stees look at this and who got the better of the deal for their American captain?
Speaker 4: The Canucks are senators? Sixty nine percent say Vancouver.
Speaker 5: Twelve hundred votes is starting to hop and pop. Thirty one percent say the Senators what the Senators never got from Florida, and I think they did try to ask for some bodies. It was just a draft pick deal, and Vancouver got three bodies back, so that makes a big difference.
Speaker 3: Warm warm bodies. Apparently they wanted the Senators Lundell and then for Hagey and the Panther said no, and it then ended up being four draft picks. And you speak of the ninth overall pick going into this year, I believe that Marco Rossi was a ninth overall pick, so like, oh, we're in Vancouver, so I can understand these results. But three warm bodies versus zero for the Senators. But again, Steve Stales is expected to make a trade with it using at least in part some of the draft picks that he acquired from a Florida. Okay, we good time for Sean Millington, we do now, how was that time for one of our favorite athletes ever, Sean Millington, Carson Graham High School, SF you football, just a beast in the Canadian Football League's going into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame. And our congratulations to Sean Lions all time. And we'll talk about the Lions in a second. BC Lions all time leader was sixty six rushing touchdowns, all sorts of accolades. This is the one I didn't know about. Okay, three times CFL All Star, Western Division All Star, just one of the great forget Canadians, one of the great all time running backs in CFL history. He ranks fourth in CFL history with one hundred and seventy six special teams tackles. Wow, I had no clue I remember him playing special teams, But special teams tackles? What an athlete? And like I say, one of the great athletes of all time to play in the Orange and Black. The great running backs, Robert Drummond is old party in the two thousand Great Cup, Willie Fleming, Andrew Harris, Corey, philpott Lerikey, Jim Evenson, going way back to the sixties and seventies, John Volpi during the Doug Flutie era. Sean is right there with him. So congratulations to Sean Millington.
Speaker 5: That back, that backfield with Robert Drummond, Holy smokes. Two powerful guys.
Speaker 3: In the back. Yeah, that was the underrated Lions, the one that doesn't get a lot of attention, Their underrated Gray Cup victory in two thousand led by Damon Allen and that great backfield of Drummond and Millington.
Speaker 4: You and I were there Calgary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you had a lot of fun. Okay, I want to I wanted to show this. Canada play Switzerland Wednesday at BAC Place, draw or win, in Canada finishes a top group B at the World Cup. This is in the wake of what happened last week and that stunning six nothing a victory over guitar. It was Thursday at BC Place, so I tweeked this out afterwards, and I got all sorts of blowback on this on social media. A terrific, historic, powerful, and yet strange and frustrating moment for Canadian soccer and Vancouver. How can our city come up with an experience like the Canada went over guitar and yet be in danger of losing the white Caps. Let's hope Canada's success leads to a Caps solution. And I got all sorts of blowback from being negative here, and my response was, how is this negative? I'm saying that I want to keep this, I want to keep the white Caps in Vancouver, and I'm I'm guessing and hoping that Canada's success and just how wonderful BC Place looks on television and when you go to the stadium that that leads to a cap solution. Maybe some rich guy out there, as rich person out there is watching the change. How can this happen? I want to help out. I don't know what's going to happen, but it just it's just strange that soccer is so hot right now now on this continent and in particular this city, and yet you still have this situation with the White Caps, and there have been meetings, folks. We're hearing of meetings. Things go there. They're trying to get things done with all the parties involved. The search continues for new ownership or ownership that can help out, you know, can they get a better deal at BC Place to bridge that gap between now and getting a new stadium. That those talks are still going on. Don Garber talked about the Vancouver situation down in Seattle. He was somewhat a little bit more positive than he has been in the past, So there's that, but it's this is all positive. I'm just hoping that this success and that soccer being so very much in the spotlight that it leads to the white We don't want to lose them. Twice Rick that it leads to them sticking around in Vancouver because that product, that MLS product is very very good and I hope it works out and I hope and you would think it would have something to do with what we've seen so far at the World Cup. It's been outstanding.
Speaker 5: The commissioner, and Ryan helped me out, was in Seattle a couple of days ago.
Speaker 4: Ye, we just talked to it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he said that the Vancouver situation is a little bit better. So there's people behind the scenes working on keeping the White Caps for the Commissioner to say, hey, a little bit better in Vancouver.
Speaker 3: We took a shot at BC Place.
Speaker 4: But he also said Vegas is ready, Vegas is ready for an MLS team.
Speaker 5: So on the one hand, yeah, yeah, yeah, and Don Garbine did a politician well.
Speaker 3: It did point out that there was a very similar situation in Columbus, that the Columbus Crew, which is one an MLS title, if I'm not mistaken, was on the verge of leaving and things worked out there. You just hope the same can happen here in Vancouver. Like I said, let's make it happen. Vancouver's lost the white Caps once back in the eighties. We don't want to see it happen again. And it's all positive. This was meant to be positive. And I feel bad that a lot of people, some people, I argue on social media, they misunderstood what I had to say. That's fine.
Speaker 5: That happens on Twitter, by the way, a lot you bet all right, business absolutely look at this. You are you kid in the world has arrived in Vancouver and Pastime Sports and games as you cover. When it comes to jerseys scarves, oh, they're collectible, celebrating the beautiful game. There's never been a bigger time to show off your team colors led by Canada as O's country. You may also want to honor your favorites in Europe, South America, Asia, Africa. For more information and strot locations, visit Pastime Sports dot C.
Speaker 3: A laptop Bryan front of the laptop.
Speaker 11: Those are the m I n X Wow Mini Figurines Minix Minix of the Argentinian team, led of course by Messi in the middle there.
Speaker 8: So they've got these. They've got others as well. But I pulled the Argentine and.
Speaker 3: You see they've got their old type uniforms there old time.
Speaker 8: I just don't really notice the difference. But anyway, how this is the Argentinian side that I pulled from pastime. But they do have other teams in these mini figurines. I showed off the Ronaldo one. There's others. You can buy the singles. You can also buy the team the squads, so there you go if you want a collectible little light in there.
Speaker 3: And then on the left there is the one of the many.
Speaker 8: FIFA hats available at Pastime Sports, along with the jerseys, the scarves and everything else. So, like I've been saying, the merch some places running out of merge. They're dealing with shortages all that pastime as you covered four locations and online at Pastime Sports, and.
Speaker 3: Boppy like last Tuesday and Boppy Harlan Messi all playing today in the WUP. They combined for seven goals last Tuesday. Could any update there, right?
Speaker 4: And we don't.
Speaker 3: Messy missed a penalty kick and it's scored.
Speaker 8: Uh yeah, I think it's still spoiler alert, spoiler alert, Yeah it is. It is still one nil Argentina. Sixty five minutes done.
Speaker 3: In this is Austria. Yeah all right, yeah DTMG coming Donny Dolly the team on check. Remember that dead electric leaf blower in the garage, still hoping it'll come back to life. OPEIC is BC's recycling program for battery powered and electric outdoor power equipment. Just like other electronics, electric lawn and garden equipment can also be recycled when it reaches the end of its useful life. All electric yard tools don't have to end up in the landfill. If you're an electric outdoor power equipment, cappy fixed, it could be recycled. Whether it's a leaf blower, trimmer or lawnmower. Many can be recycled for free in BC. Visit OPEIC dot Ca to find a depot near you and recycle responsibly. That's ope IC dot Ca.
Speaker 5: It's eleven thirty three on a Monday morning. It is Donny and Dolly on Check TV. Now time for DTMZ brought to you by the world famous Whishler Golf Club.
Speaker 4: Gociepiguel out there, great track Tjimsey.
Speaker 3: Brought to you by their own Palmer Design whist the golf Club where Phase three of their golf course renovation is underway. The golf course will reopen for playing the summer of twenty twenty seven. For the latest updates on the reno, following them on Instagram at Whistler Golf and don't forget their pro shop and driving range are open during the summer. And by the way, in this renovation phase, they have new greens being built, new irrigation is starting to fire up, and they are preparing for sodding, much like you are in your backyard.
Speaker 4: Oh oh oh beautiful, can't wait till that's.
Speaker 3: Nothing gets you more excited than landscaping.
Speaker 5: I I am a big garden guy. I was in it last night and getting the weeds out. It's got to be done. But unfortunately for you and I we have to do it because the kids they don't do the stuff these days, even on a Father's Day. No, I had to do it yesterday. We'll talk about that later.
Speaker 3: We're gonna get ready to birthday's birthdays.
Speaker 4: Let's go sponsor music. Let's go.
Speaker 5: It's brought to you by Donnie and do all these backscratchers and Dental Flossimporium. Balzac Alberta ball Zach. This goaltender was the second round pick of the Ducks. In two thousand, he tied Frank mccool's nineteen forty five playoff record for most consecutive shoutouts by a rookie in the NHL. Frank McCool nineteen forty five. I suspect you remember Frank McCool. He competed in the two thousand and four World Cup of Hockey. Three time Olympian runner up for the Vesna. All Right won the Stanley Cup of the Ducks in two thousand and seven, played behind Jazz Shagear. Ducks had to move him because Jash Shagear was not giving him any ice time.
Speaker 4: He got, Hey, where'd he go?
Speaker 5: Arizona won forty two games at the Coyotes in the first year, average thirty three wins in four years in the desert. They couldn't meet his contract demand, so he signed field huge cont.
Speaker 4: Yeah who said that?
Speaker 8: Quicker both together at the same time.
Speaker 5: Helie bris Gellof, didn't he say something but the moon and the stars or something?
Speaker 4: Yeah, the solar system, he said, the solar system. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: They just finished buying him out. Actually, yeah, there were still there was little remnants of the deal left.
Speaker 3: Okay, this guy was the second round pick of the Ducks again two thousand and five, six through on.
Speaker 5: Pick Portland in the Western Hockey League. Batom Trip ended up playing for the Vancouver Giants. Ended up winning a Memorial Cup with the Giants two thousand and seven, right here at the Coliseum. Bounced around team to team in the NHL. His first goal against Yourslav Halac of the Saint Louis Blues. One hundred and thirty one games in the NHL, he would hand. He would head overseas to Germany, Sweden, Austin head overseas. His father, his father Bill played in the NHL in the seventies. Sister played on the Canadian national women's team. His sister won gold at the twenty ten twenty fourteen Winter Olympics for Canada.
Speaker 4: Brother in law Scott Reed Memorial Cup.
Speaker 5: Memorial Cup defenseman, defenseman Brandon Michelson, yep, Don Haye loved him. It was just a beautiful defense for the Giants in two thousand and seven. His great uncle Jim McFadden.
Speaker 4: On the Calder. He won the Calder back in nineteen forty eight. A great hockey history with his family all right.
Speaker 5: This actress, Frank McCool Frank McCool. This actress one of my favorite all time. Boy, I tell you that she's legendary. She's won three Academy Awards, eight Golden Globes. Her first role opposite to Jane Fonda in the nineteen seventy seven movie Julia. You would remember Julia, I don't, okay, should an Oscar winning film about two friends. How do you not remember Julia? She got you, no, but I do remember seeing clips of it. Anyways, she got her first.
Speaker 3: Care scouring the internet watching clips of Julia.
Speaker 4: If I'm gonna do this, I do I. I googled Julia. I saw her in Julia.
Speaker 5: She got her first Academy Award nomination for The Deer Hunter. Another good flick, nineteen seventy eight, Meryl Streep.
Speaker 3: Ah, that's a good movie. Did you see now? Why am I asking?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 3: Why do I ask? He hasn't seen a movie in the eighties. You think he's gonna see a movie in the seventies.
Speaker 8: Cals and I have finished watching Avengers Age of Ultro on on the weekends, just easily the weakest of the Avenger movies.
Speaker 3: It's just sad, that's all you watch, Okay, So so franchise superhero.
Speaker 8: So either of you watched the Marble or Avengers movie?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: Why what?
Speaker 3: I so? Oh, it's one of the most popular movie guys, Ryan, I think I've watched one and they're all the same.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 8: I sound like our buddy t Mart Now that's what he always I watched a.
Speaker 4: Ramble again on the weekend.
Speaker 3: I just like, so you watch the same things over and over again.
Speaker 4: I watched Ramble again. It's in Hope. It's in Hope, British Columbia. Ask Donny, it's in Hope.
Speaker 3: A first Blood?
Speaker 4: What about first Blood?
Speaker 3: Hope?
Speaker 4: Ramble?
Speaker 3: What did Jango? Do you watch that?
Speaker 4: This movie? Django?
Speaker 5: I haven't seen it in but I've seen that five times. I saw Training Day Denzellen, Okay, good.
Speaker 3: Oh. I will watch old movies over and over and over and over and over. Okay, last one. You should get this.
Speaker 5: You should say out a teer hunter tonight. Hey, and she was really good in Bridges of Madison County with.
Speaker 3: No way.
Speaker 4: Oh, who hasn't seen Bridges of Madison? I watch it looks sappy to me.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Maybe I'm Clint Eastwood.
Speaker 4: Anything with Clint Eastwood is good. If you don't like Clint Eastwood, just stop.
Speaker 3: Except for a million dollar baby.
Speaker 4: Oh no, that was good. That was good too. Clint is great. Okay, here we go.
Speaker 5: This NBA Hall of Famer won an Olympic gold medal with the legendary Dream Team in ninety two. He was a part of the five Slam of jama with a kim olaj One at the University of Houston.
Speaker 3: Clyde Dragon, Clyde Drexler.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Darren, what the hell? Where are you coming up with?
Speaker 3: Clyde Drexler Houston. Oh, my kimage was great, so was Clyde.
Speaker 4: But there you go. That's it for him.
Speaker 3: In highlight film.
Speaker 5: Oh boy, Clyde directs. He was a big deal in Portland first and then Houston.
Speaker 4: But mad he was good.
Speaker 3: Do you remember him.
Speaker 8: Right, Clyde?
Speaker 4: No, he was.
Speaker 3: He was up there offensively with Jordan like in terms of athleticism and what he could do offensively amazing. Okay, we're good.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Cindy Lapper, oh oh, her seventy three and she's gonna play us out with the help of Frank McCool from October eighty three on the album She's So Unusual. This is Cindy and girls just want to have fun on check playing songs that hit the top of the charts around the world On a BC Monday morning. Is it just Me's mixed three foot hot dogs? Postgame fireworks Friday Noonters and the future Toronto Blue Jays right in your backyard? Catch a Vancouver Canadians game this summer as they celebrate seventy five years at nap Bailey Stadium. For tickets, promotions and more information, visit Canadians Baseball dot com or call six oh four eight seven to two, five two, three to two today. Is it just being brought to you by OPEIC Outdoor Power Equipment Institute of Canada. Did you know you can recycle electric lawn and guarden equipment for free? OPEIC operates a promise wide network of recycling depots to ensure old electric outdoor power equipment gets collected and recycled responsibly. Visit OPEIC dot ca A to get more info. Oh P E C dot ca Is it just me?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 3: All three of you need to find a way to appreciate movies outside the action Jenner, Expand your horizons, Joean.
Speaker 5: Nanaimo says, I I can't do that, Joel. I I don't watch new movies. I just watch old movies. I can't do that, Joe.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, but he's talking about action movies.
Speaker 4: Action, Okay, Sylvester still genre by the way, Gendre whatever that is.
Speaker 3: Uh, you know.
Speaker 5: I love Bruce Willis. I love uh Rambo, Arnold Schwarzenegger movies. I watch those all day. Yeah, but you watch we watch more than action movies nowadays. I like that Jason Stratham guy, the ball guy.
Speaker 3: A lot of people like him.
Speaker 4: He's he's good, he's good. So, first of all, it's Statham, Statham, he's good.
Speaker 3: I like him.
Speaker 8: The second of all, he's got a new movie. What's his new one out? It's coming out, Calson. I went to the movie The be The Beehive Guy. Yeah, that's one of his movies. Looks good, The bee Keeper, The Beekeeper, every one of them, His bee Hive Guy with the Beehive Guy. Every trailer of every movie he's in, though, is the exact same.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they did.
Speaker 3: He's got a type stereotype.
Speaker 8: He's successful, so I mean, good for him, but I don't know he's good.
Speaker 4: He's good the way he beats people up. That's the one.
Speaker 8: Colson Ivera at the movie theater on Friday night and we saw the big poster for it, and I'm like, look at this thing.
Speaker 3: I had a great tweet and I've lost it.
Speaker 4: Go go tex text. No, you mean a great tech.
Speaker 5: You keep finding it and I'll go to I like to find it makes sense. The Canucks got the better deal because Hughes is arguably the best defenseman in the league, where Brady really isn't a top ten four of the league.
Speaker 3: Robin Victoria, that's a really good point. Yeah, it is probably better than the text I was looking for. As a matter of fact, is it just me? Or should the Hughes tribute video be just him giving up on shifts?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Ryan, you made the you know you made the suggestion. No video tribute at all? What about a video tribute of his worst moments as a Conduck?
Speaker 8: Or what if it's just like a complete What if it's like clips from our show, other shows?
Speaker 3: Yeah, dumping on the guy.
Speaker 8: He thinks it's a welcome back, but it's just like a complete It's like the airing of the grievances. It's like a festivus. It's a style that would be good with the pole, that would be that would be understanding.
Speaker 3: I still haven't found this one.
Speaker 5: Go go all right, I got one right here Keith and Coquitlam. Is it just me or other CFL teams better managed, have better defensive coaching the Lions. Look, I'm not gonna lie to you. Absolutely disgusted with the Lions effort in Hamilton. Yeah, the defensive line, my, my goodness, if you're going to give the best one of the best quarterbacks in the league all day long, he's gonna he's gonna burn you. He's gonna kill you like that. There's no rush, there's there's there's no pressure on bold Levi. If there's no pressure, the defensive backs have no chance. Horrible effort by.
Speaker 3: The Lions and they play in the Okanagan Saturday on Saturday following league. Okay, I'm gonna just paraphrase it. I believe it was from John in Campa River and he his point is, why wouldn't I draft an American like like Chase Reed or Quinn Hughes If somewhere down the road they get me four or five high draft picks, right, That's that's not a bad point. But I think in the case of Ottawa, it depends where your your team is at. You know, Ottawa made the playoffs the last two years. They're a good young team and you're going to see Steve STOs made that the hint today, drop the hint today that he's going to use those picks to make a trade for now. Yes, they're more of a now team, so you don't necessarily want that depends for the conduction. You can see it worked out. I mean they lost, they lost their captain, but they decided to go with a rebuild, so that made sense. I don't think so much for Ottawa, but that's a really good uh. Text from Joel in Campbell River join.
Speaker 4: Campbell River on the ball.
Speaker 3: My apologies.
Speaker 5: Does Jake debrusta Ottawa for the number nine overall pick? Does that make sense for both parties? David maple Ridge. Look, here's the problem for people. Got to understand he's got he's got trade protection. He's not as easy to trade as many people think.
Speaker 4: And yeah, I'm.
Speaker 8: Sorry, am I losing it?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 8: But why are all these people thinking Jake de Brest is getting a first round pick?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: No, yeah, I don't know why we've got some suggestions like that, like God, God bless you folks. But he only scored in the power play last year. Yeah, Ryan's been very inconsistent. Whoa Ryan?
Speaker 5: He's a every year he gives you twenty goals. He's got term, and he's got a good number.
Speaker 3: First rounder.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, I don't know about the first rounder. But you can't say he's only scored all in the power play. He did rick, but he's consistently scoring twenty goals every year. Guy's got value with term and he's got a decent capture.
Speaker 3: Sure, it is ridiculous. He's going to be easy the balance. Yeah, but so many powerful I think you just got to drill down on the numbers. The first year year in incredibly inconsistently getting a first rounder. Yeah, I mean, I I don't. I mean, this is from I'm on? Is it just me one of do not his favorite bands are coming to town. Especially it's two of Donnie's favorite bands coming to town. B fifty two's with Devo. Ryan's checking out September twenty seventh of Rogers Arena. Really Roger's arena for them? Really? What kind of an insult is that I got to check this out? I gotta make sure that it is it is, it is.
Speaker 4: I saw the posters, so get it.
Speaker 3: You're down with it? I am? I am down with it. Well you better go. Have you guess who this summer by the man? Oh yeah, okay, I've seen Devo at the Commodore Ballroom nineteen seventy bit of a different vibe January nineteen seventy nine, back to back weeks. Blondie and Deevo.
Speaker 8: Why do you hate because that's one of your greatest hits stories.
Speaker 4: Blondie was great.
Speaker 3: Oh they weren't big at the time you discovered them. Yes, great?
Speaker 4: Yeah, before Madonna there was Blondie.
Speaker 3: She was good. Debbie hairy. Blondie was the name of the band.
Speaker 4: I know, I know, do you know? Are you kidding me? Yeah? She's got five hundred hits? Are you kidding me? Right?
Speaker 3: Partner?
Speaker 5: Are you kidding me? But by the way, that love Shack is B fifty two, spet shock two coy.
Speaker 4: Okay, So are you guys gonna fight me on this?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Planet Claire, I don't care about Planet Claire. Love Shack B fifty two. Oh so good?
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, a break and we'll wrap up the show of the pull question. Next on into only the team Chack.
Speaker 12: The bc Construction Safety Alliance is a not for profit association that makes safety simpler by providing health and safety services and programs to more than fifty seven thousand construction employers and two hundred and twenty thousand workers across the province. We want to bring the bc csa safety message directly to your job site. Book a free visit from the BCCSA Safety on Tour Mobile Trailer Safety on Tours instructor guides your workers through a series of dynamic safety demonstrations, from the effectiveness of fall arrest systems to the power of proper head protection at now to book a memorable safet beyond Tour experience at Safety Ontour dot CA.
Speaker 13: A oh, John, Yes, it is their nine hundred best song. This is I remember Kyl River.
Speaker 4: I played this at nighttime nighttime DJ I was flipping records.
Speaker 3: Bingal their first two albums. There amongst the one of my favorite albums of all time by any band. Then they kind of dropped. They got too commercial. Dog pull ricks as at evidenced by this and right cut it off.
Speaker 4: Let's get to the pole question. Let's get it up. Oh this is good.
Speaker 5: I could cut some rug to this easily. Oh yeah, and I think I have I remember one night, Ryan, you don't remember when it? Oh, I don't remember a lot of nights that Ryan.
Speaker 4: Get the poll up.
Speaker 3: This is Rick d libbing. I'm not ad libbing. I can't.
Speaker 5: Here we go our rattling dog pop pole question. Who got the better deal for their American captain? The Canucks are senators?
Speaker 4: Look at this?
Speaker 5: Sixty nine I say Canucks thirty one percent senators, thirteen hundred votes.
Speaker 4: It's starting to hop and bop on a Monday morning.
Speaker 3: Okay, pictures, do you have any? Do we have pictures? But I do have?
Speaker 5: Well we do, But okay, I do have to get this in. A friend of our shows who loves you more than me. Tally Campbell, the GM of the Coquitlam Guests. He announced this morning he's running for Coquitlam City Council, but he's gonna stay his GM of the Coquitlam team. I've never heard of that before. I've never heard of it. I foresee some arena approve it there looking for some new arena stuff in Coquitlam. But anyways, Tally Campbell, get out there, and vote for him. Good guy, Coquitlam City Council. He's running for a spot.
Speaker 3: Best of luck. Yeah okay, Justin and east Vanas sent us he often does artwork for us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, he's good.
Speaker 3: He sent us and is it is me? I'm waiting for this to go the other way with superstar Canadian hockey players moving to play in a Canadian city. Now, Ryan can't get this picture in time for this second.
Speaker 13: There you go.
Speaker 3: Look at Connor Bodard wearing a Canucks jersey.
Speaker 4: There you go, boy, if that ever happens.
Speaker 3: But his point being that maybe you'd have a Canadian saying I've had enough for the USA, enough for Chicago. I'm moving back home.
Speaker 8: Everyone's gonna stop with this though, Garden CELEBREADI. They're gonna come back to Vancouver for sure. Yeah, there's a few on exactly how.
Speaker 3: Many people said, oh boy, I bet your Brady kid Chuck would love to play in Florida with his brother. And what happened. Sometimes those things do happen. Justin can dream We need more dreamers nowadays we do. But Rick dreams for two hours every morning.
Speaker 5: But people need to realize there are fas and they're years away from being UFAs, but hey, what do I know offer seats? Well, that's what happened Zack Benson out at Chilliwack. You know there's a kid that can get off sheet.
Speaker 3: Thanks for watching, folks on behalf of Ryan, Derek Rick, everybody here at Oh Boy and check anybody who's been on the zipper at the P and E. I'm Donnie. You have to pay the world of sports.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly Podcast. Be sure to follow us on Twitter at Donnie and Dolly for all the latest show content.