Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is sponsored by La Care Health Plan, providing affordable healthcare insurance to millions of Angelinos for over twenty five years. And now your voice for Dodger Talk like back damn Cats.
Speaker 2: Well, the Dodgers get a must needed win against the Chicago Cubs to wrap up this three game series and put a bow on this final Homestand here before the final homestand of the regulars season is the Dodgers get the win against the Chicago Cubs. To nine, ten to eight is your final Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is our phone number. Jump on board. If you're at the game tonight, you're one of the forty eight thousand, six and ninety one there for Max Mounsey Bobblehead Night. If you listen to the game, if you're heading home and you're driving around, you watch it. I want to hear from you. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy. You also follow me on Twitter and x at Tim Kats, Tim Tes. The Dodgers tonight had Bobby Miller on the mound. He gave up two runs in the first inning, after getting the first two batters of the game out on six pitches, he had back to back walks with two outs and then back to back singles, and just like that, what was a good start for the first two batters of the game turned into a rough first inning for Bobby Miller, and it kind of feels like Bobby Miller just can't get out of his own way. Bobby Miller got the first two batters out on six pitches and then struggle with the command, didn't get any chases from the Chicago Cubs hitters, and when he did get the ball over the play, back to back singles, including one to right field to get a run on the board from Prentice, then Michael Bush the RBI double, and what should have been a one two three inning, if not just a clean inning, turned into a two run top of the first for the Chicago Cubs. Thankfully, the Dodgers answer back with an historic bottom of the first inning tonight, four home runs Shoey O'tani goes deep and then back to back to back home runs from Tommy Edmund, will Smith and Max Munsey. The first time in franchise history, the Dodgers they hit four home runs in the first inning historic, and despite the five to two lead, Bobby Miller still goes out and struggles, leaving in the fifth inning after giving up a three run home run to Cody Bellinger. Bobby Miller has got to turn things around fast. Is there enough time to do it? I just don't know. And with that being said, Bobby Miller's position on the postseason rosters in serious jeopardy. And right now the Dodgers are so they're desperately looking for somebody to take over as a starter come to postseason because right now they've got one arm they can rely on in Jack Flaherty come October. I think Yoshi Yamamoto is gonna get there, and based off everything we saw last night, if he continues to pitch like that in his next few starts here before the postseason, certainly you're gonna put him in there as one of the Dodgers' top two starters going into October in the postseason. But we just need more sample size. First game back, sixty pitches, fantastic last night in his return after missing three months. Gotta see it again and then got to see it again after that before we can make any real, real adjustments and decisions on whether or not he's good to go for October. Clayton Kershaw's hurt. Tyler Glass now is hurt. Gavin Stone's heard the Dodgers are looking looking for somebody to, as Rick Monday says, raise their hand and say, I'll be that guy. Hey, you need a third starter, I'll be that guy. And they're still looking and Bobby Miller is not making a case to be one of those guys come October. And it hurts for me to say that because I really like Bobby Miller. He was big time for them last year. He's still a big time talent. But for whatever reason, he'll come out and have that first inning like he did tonight, and he'll have one of those innings in every start where he comes out boom, six pitches, two outs, looking good. Could they get out of a clean first inning? Give the Dodgers offense a chance to get things going on the bottom of the first, and next thing you know, bing bang, boom, boom, four batters and he's walked to and he's giving up two singles, double and just like that, it's a two to nothing Cubs lead. Just cannot happen. This were October in a game one of an NLDS and you're giving up two runs in the first can't happen. Can't put the Dodgers in a hole because they're not gonna have a historic another first thing like they had tonight. In the history of the franchise, they've never had a first inning which they've hit four home runs until tonight. You can't keep putting the team in holes. They can't keep happening. They need starting pitchers who are gonna put up zeros and keep them in games. And right now here on September eleventh, one guy you can count on is Jack Flaherty. We'll find out about Tyler Glassanew's heuse. We don't know about Clayton Kershaw's health. Gavin Stone not looking likely. He's coming back just based on the calendar and being at September eleventh, and he hasn't even started throwing. Not a lot of time to ramp him back up. Now. I look at Tony Gonsolin, a name that we haven't talked about it all this year because he's coming back from Tommy John surgery. He's almost thirteen months post Tommy John surgery and he was in OKAC pitching two innings yesterday. To me, I envisioned Tony Gonsolin looking around saying, man, this team needs help. I'm the guy. All be the help, All be the arm. And I just envisioned Tony Gonsolin grabbing his cats and saying, let's go. I needed to get some innings under my belt. I gotta go help this team out. Nobody else is healthy. I'm the closest thing to a healthy starting pitcher. Give me some innings at OKAC and next time out. We expect Tony Gonsolin to build on those two innings that he pitched in Triple A. Maybe he's built up enough to give him four innings in a playoff start.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't think this feels like though last year in Walker Buehler. Remember Walker Buehler was trying so hard to come back from his elbow surgery and made some starts in the minor leagues, and we kind of thought, oh, right, maybe there's a chance we see Walker Buehler in some capacity in the playoffs, and they shut him down to get him ready for twenty twenty four, and we never saw it. I think this is different. I think this is now the Dodgers are in need of starting pitching, and Tony Gonsolin could be that guy, and I think they look at him as all right, that call to the bullpen for help is Tony Tony Gonsolin picking up the phone and he is rapidly trying to get ready. Now, they're not going to force him back if he's not ready. Certainly, you don't rush a guy back from Tommy John Surry just because you need help in starting pitching. They'd be crazy to do. That would never happen. But what this leads me to believe is if he's pitching two innings in OKAC and he could be ramping up to three next time out, maybe forty five to fifty pitches, well that's telling me that he's good and he's trying to get out to help out this Dodger team. Here in October, we'll see. There's still enough time, I think, for this Dodger rotation to find some clarity between now and the end of the month and the start of the NLDS. But certainly, as days come off the calendar, Dodger fans the biggest glaring need is starting pitching. And I think it's a conversation we all have to start having and having quickly because this Dodger's offense. I'm not worried about the Dodgers defense outside of what happened last night. I'm not worried about it. I'm not the bullpen. Give him some rest. When you get down to postseason baseball, I think they'll be okay. But let's be honest, we're counting days off the calendar here and there's not enough starting pitching. Yoshiyamamoto one or two more starts, yeah, I'll feel a little bit more confident. I'll feel better about where we're at to go along with Jack Flarity, Clayton Kershaw's trending in the right direction throwing off a mound, but that turf toe scares me. Jack Flarity throwing sim games getting closer still is a huge question mark to me. And for a guy who didn't even want to go on the il to now hasn't made a rehab start and hasn't been checked off and healthy to come back now what three and a half weeks later. Maybe it was worse than we thought as far as that inflammation in the elbow, and it's a good thing they shut him down to give him some rest and get him ready for October. Now, that's the thing. He needs to be ready for October. They need him. The Dodgers need starting pitching. They need to get healthy quick eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. Bobby Miller Tonight, four and a third innings, six runs, five hits, four walks, two strikeouts. You give up a couple of home runs, put him himself in a hole in the Dodgers in a hole with two runs in the first inning. They got out of that hole. He put him back into a hole. The game was tied, the Dodgers lead was evaporated by the fifth inning. Let's go back out to Dodgers dating. Let's hear from Bobby Miller on what happened tonight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the bad obviously the homers. It's just been the story every adding right now. But yeah, they set a previous odding, like what happens before the homers. A couple walks, you know, wasn't for that, it would have been like one run inning in the first inning, I believe. Other than that, I mean, it's falling behind a couple hitters, but they also just put together some good swings on really good pitches as well, like a couple of really good swings on changeups, a couple of curveballs fast ou At the end, I felt like I got it to the spot I wanted to, and Cody just put a great swing on it.
Speaker 4: I don't have to just say, guess kind of sometimes put the blinders up and things since this aren't necessarily going away, but also trying to give as much length as you can.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's hard, you know, I'm going through it right now to say the least. But you know there's no doubt in my mind that I'm giving it my all every single time I'm out there. You know, try showing up early every single day. I'm putting the most amount of working I possibly can. You know, I'm just trying to give him a good game every time I'm out there. You know, I'm so I'm not It's not like I'm not working.
Speaker 5: Hard or anything.
Speaker 2: I'm working as.
Speaker 3: Hard as I can. You know, I'm doing everything I can to have success out there, and I'm giving it my all every single time I'm out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why I feel for Bobby Miller. This is a guy who's working his tail off to try to figure it out, try to get back to the Bobby Miller from last season that was so dominant and helped out the Dodger rotation when they again were going through injuries in twenty twenty three. Twenty twenty four has just not been the year for Bobby Miller's just never been able to get on track after his opening start of the year in which he was absolutely filthy and dominating for the Dodgers and then just could not get right. Has bad innings in every start, innings that you just scratch your head is to like what happened? He got two quick outs and all of a sudden there's runners on and there's a base hit and there's a double. It's a two to nothing game. Whats guy was happening? And one of those twenty three pitch innings in which she just labors out there and then they'll come back and have a ten pitch, one, two three inning, and you're scratching your head, like, where's the consistency from Bobby Miller? And that's been the issue all season long. Good innings, bad innings, bad outings more than good outings, and just has not been able to get out of neutral all season long eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seven. He will take break, We'll come back. We'll get to your phone calls. We'll also check in with Jose Mota. We'll hear from the manager Dave Roberts as well. Dodgers get the win tonight. Five home runs, including back to back to back home runs in the first from Tommy Edmond, Will Smith, Max Munsey, Devan goes deep again in the eighth and show hey O tany one step closer to becoming the first fifty to fifty player ever in Major League Baseball. Home run tonight number forty seven and a stolen base tonight number forty eight. We'll come back more on Dodger Talk on a FI seventy LA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: AM five seventy LA Sports be anywhere at any time, and you can hear past episodes.
Speaker 5: Of Dodger Talk all of those things.
Speaker 1: Search AM five to seventy on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: We're streaming online.
Speaker 1: We stream every game too. Come find me back to Dodger Talk on AM five to seventy LA Sports to.
Speaker 6: Two pins swung onhead high in the air to right, this ball's back and the Dodgers for those second time this yeah have gone back to pack to pack in the first sending the home run hat trick Max Monthly home run number fourteen.
Speaker 2: It is five the two Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Can you believe this?
Speaker 2: Back to back to back home runs from Tommy Edmund, Willis Smith Max Munsey in the bottom of the first The Dodgers set a franchise record for four home runs in the first inning, and you include Shoey O'tani's leadoff home run as they go on and beat the Cubs ten to eight. The official sponsor of the Trip around the Diamond is Daniels Jewelers. Stop by any Daniels Jeweler's location It's say home run for your free team bracelet and a fifty dollars gift card towards any purchase of ninety nine dollars or more Daniels Jewelers own the Dream. Dodgers get the win tonight over the Cubs. Alex Vessi gets to winning and relieve Michael Kopek walk the base is loaded, gave up a run but ends up getting to save his thirteenth of the season, as the Dodgers improved to eighty seven to fifty nine as their leading to Division now five over Arizona five and a half game lead over San Diego with sixteen games left. The Dodgers' magic number is eleven. And for our show, he Otani is concerned hits home run number forty seven. Tonight stolen base number forty eight, so he's getting closer to fifty to fifty. Show haes forty eight stolen bases, by the way, the first Dodger to steal forty eight or more bases in a season since Dee Gordon in twenty fourteen, who had sixty four that season. Let's check out with Hose.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Hose.
Speaker 2: Modas all right, Ose, the offense was great. You got ten runs on twelve hits. You had five home runs. That's awesome. This Dodger offense should be putting up those kind of numbers. Bobby Miller, though, it's starting to warn me a little bit, Hose, because we're running at a time and starts for Bobby Miller to get into this rotation in the postseason. Did it even be a part of this postseason roster?
Speaker 5: It is concerning.
Speaker 6: There's no way of hiding that when you consider that, you know, as you mentioned, through the first couple of bad or six pitches and he's got two outs and then comes the toughest part that really has uh you know, found him throughout this season. What happened with two outs isn't a mentality thing is a mechanically but he's not hunting its stride. And my biggest takeaway was first pitch of the game, he spiked it and I immediately looked at Niggas I said to me, that's not a good sign. That's the first pitch of the game. So I am hoping that everything is well with him physically.
Speaker 7: And we know that the you know, the.
Speaker 6: Left nio has been a little bulky, lending knee which affects everything related to the arm, flot and release point. But we are so very inconsistent, Bobby Miller. We know the stuff is there, velocity's not locking the breaking balls in sharp, but the change up the pitch is kind of getting away from him. And had a conversation with him back in Arizona about this. That's the word of to throw that changing because it's fading enough if people see the vertical break. It's great the horizontal break, I should say, but it's just not finding his zone and not getting the swing and miss, and that is a key pitch for him. I mean, it was last year hit under one fifty against that pitch. But I just, you know, don't see that consistency. There's nothing that anybody else is not seen. But there's no doubt that I hope that mentally also is not affecting him, because obviously there's something lacking in the biggest fear to me is lack of confidence, which is obviously that something that can go through and embrace you no matter what your stuff looks like.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at the calendar now here on September eleven, sixteen games to go. The Dodgers got to get ready for October baseball that first week of the month of October, and I look at the rotation because they got to start playing things out now and looking at who's healthy, who's not, and who's realistically going to be healthy come the postseason. Gavin Stone my opinion, I don't think there's enough time to get him back now and get into a spot to be a starter in October. I'm hoping Tyler Glass now can get to that point. The clock is ticking on Clayton Kershaw and his comeback, Jack Flaherty right now to me, and maybe another start from Yoshi yamamotive to see that he in fact is also back as well from his shoulder injury. You got two guys that you can count on come October, right now, that's it.
Speaker 6: Well, you know you're right, and then you know Dave Roberts has talked about a performers place. Well, Frock, really, all you've done is going out there and give you a chance to win. Right, Okay, the stuff doesn't light up the radar Gune and you know he doesn't light up the other you know, sebah Metro gasps around the legic, but the guy gets out. Yes, he does allow a lot of hard hit balls, there's no doubt. But the doubts have a good defense for that. So if you look at his his out ince time after time after time, Landon Neck, in my opinion, should be given more consideration and perhaps be a guy that is challenging a couple of guys to be part of the rotation because he hasn't heard his cops. He towst Rich, he doesn't really allow the beginning to happen, which is something that he actually talked to me about, and Connor McGinnis reconfirmed with me about something that been lacking with him in the model leagues is the beiginning. But in the big leagues he's come out here and fill his own. He's challenged hitters. There's been a couple of homes here and there, but look at every single outing. If it was you know, another name, whatever you want to call it, we've been paying more attention to him. This guy gives her a chance. He should be told right now, you know what, the way you're pitching, he's going to be a big part of this because I truly believe that basically when you see it now, he's gonna give you some innings too.
Speaker 2: Final thing, Jose Tommy Edmund. You look at what he's done the last two nights in the four home runs, the way he plays the game, his versatility to play different different positions, what he does does offensively from both sides of the plate. I can see now why Andrew Freeman has been trying to acquire him for the last two plus seasons and finally getting him and seeing what he can do to a team and help out a lineup. This guy really is awesome.
Speaker 6: Oh he's a good player. I mean he fits right into the Dodgers play they brought there and fill in different capacities to a hitter.
Speaker 7: He can run vary a stude.
Speaker 6: Ball player, he's run a gold glove. And when I saw him play for Team Korea actually in Japan the World Baseball Class and I'm like, this guy could really go out there and play the game smart. He knows when to run one, not to one to show, but I mean very instinctive plays the game, you know, like one of those guys I always say can play at any generation because he really has a good feel for the game. And I'm glad that he's getting results that he says within himself, the balls jumping out of his back. Please let's not expect this all the time, but let's welcome it no matter what, tim because he's playing some good baseball right now. With all the names, bigger names are out in the market that you know, perhaps we're sounding around to the dollar board. He is the one guy that kind of skaped through because he hadn't employed a big league game. Rehabbing and the doors one again due diligence a guy that fits well, but because you know that those guys are so valuable down the stretch, especially time playoff time.
Speaker 2: All right, you guys are heading to Atlanta. Charter leaves tomorrow, start of a seven game road trip that goes to Atlanta for four and three to Miami. What's to go to spot in Atlanta? A little southern food?
Speaker 6: Oh oh, you better believe it.
Speaker 7: That's my report.
Speaker 6: Fat match, p h A T match is the rip shot that I mean, it's pretty unbelievable, So take it out. And then Miami, of course. I mean we're in Cuba. Man, it's a little have man. Now, you know that in the Russian Beans pretty much every day.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be all nighters for Jose Mota out there.
Speaker 6: Oh no, no, I didn't say that.
Speaker 2: There's lots of sweet potato pie. Then Jose sa travels. We'll talk to you in a couple of days. Okay, Well, all right, there he goes Jose Mota as the Dodgers get the win tonight over the Cubs ten to eighty five home runs for the Dodgers, four of which came in the first inning, and setting a franchise record for four home runs in the first All right, let's go out to Kennon Newport Beach Ken Thanks for being patient. Hope you're having a great Wednesday night and celebrating this Dodger win.
Speaker 7: Oh I am now by the way that first said he was off the charts, and talking about off the charts, Friedman bringing in Edmond has got to be one of the greatest things I've seen in a long time. This guy is a phenomenal fielder and if he's heading like this, he really needs to move up in the lineup. And by the way, Freeman is sitting one thirty with nine strikeouts in the last seven games. That thumb has still.
Speaker 6: Got to be bothering him.
Speaker 7: But I don't understand what Dave is doing. This is a fourth time he's let a guy, a starter give up five, six, ten runs. You can't continue to do that. These games have importance to get the best record. There's no way Miller should ever pitch again. He's not right this year. Just to sit there and watch that, I don't know. Have you ever seen a manager at the end of the season the guy in that's given up five runs for six runs, five hits four walks. It's just mind bottling to me.
Speaker 2: The dagger was the three run home run. Kennon. I appreciate the phone call. I have no problem sitting it back out there in the fifth inning, especially with the Dodgers a seven to three lead. It got away from him in the fifth inning with the leadoff single and then a walk. Now he gets a fly ball to second for the first out of the inning, and then Bellinger just absolutely crushes the three run home run, and that's when Dave Roberts came out and got him. Now, maybe he shouldn't got to Cody Bellinger, but I'm okay. In a seven to three lead, one out, two to one and Bellinger at the plate, I want to see what Bobby Miller can do. I want to test him. I want him to get out of his own mess. You made the mess, figure it out, get out of it. Unfortunately, Cody Bellinger got the best of them, hits the three run home run. It makes it a one run game, and that's when he gets the old hook from Dave Roberts. I don't have a problem with that. They were fortunate that they got a lot of runs tonight to support Bobby Miller, and I think that, you know, gave him some room to go back out there in the fourth, in the fifth, after giving up a solo home run the third to make it a five to three game. So yeah, I think the fact that the Dodgers' offense backed him up and gave him some cushion allowed him to even go as long as he did all right, until I got the Dodger Stadium real quick, Let's hear from the manager, Dave Roberts.
Speaker 8: I saw a lot of fighting. It's been a while since i've you know, felt the uh, the energy, the buzz in that first inning that we felt there was a lot going on.
Speaker 5: Fans were just going crazy, it was.
Speaker 8: It was a lot of fun, a lot of energy in the dugout got off to a really good start, and to see us take a couple of punches, give up a big inning and almost give a the lead and the battle back. Will had a big hit, Miggy Rowe a grat at bad walk, Gavin with a big hit, and then obviously Tommy just is otherworldly these days and just had another huge night.
Speaker 4: You look and I guess just what Bobby bar was doing today. What were you seeing for him, and I know, head, I think, and you talked about wanting to see more consistency from him. How were you seeing I guess him you try to navigate through these episode aunts.
Speaker 8: I think he's grinding. I see it. He's competing as much as you can. I think today it was easy to see that he didn't have feel for the curveball, didn't strike it very often. You know, the fastball was getting a lot of you know, they were taking good swings after the fastball, as we talked about, and the change.
Speaker 5: Up at times was good.
Speaker 8: And so certainly the walks weren't helpful overall. You know, with our pitching staff, I think we had ten walks tonight, and you're not going to win many games when you walk ten guys.
Speaker 5: We found a way to do it tonight.
Speaker 8: But I thought, defensively, miggey Row is playing his tail off.
Speaker 5: And found a way to win a ball game.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Dave Roberts talking about the win tonight Bobby Miller, and Bobby Miller will, in fact, to get another start the next time his name comes around in the rotation. That's going to do it for Dodger to talk tonight. Many thanks to Colin Ye thanks to you for being a part of the show. If we couldn't get to your call, I apologize we ran out of time on this Wednesday Nights that includes you. Brad Paisley, I want to hear from you. Dodgers get the win. They beat the Chicago Cubs a ten to eight. Vic Trey Alex Vessie the winning relief Michael Kopec gets the same despite walking the bases loaded, giving up a run in the top half of the night. Tommy Edman goes deep twice. Dodgers had four home runs in the first show. He Otani gets closer and closer now to fifty to fifty hits to hold run number forty seven, stolen base number forty eight. Dodgers off on Thursday. Back at it on Friday. Dodgers in Atlanta to start a four game wrap around series that goes until Monday. Land and Neck to get to start on Friday, Jack Flirring schedule to get the start on Saturday, Walker Bueler's schedule to go on Sunday, and the Yoshiamamoto on Monday. In this series finale, we'll be back on Friday. Morongo because you know Dodgers on deck at three, first pitch at four to twenty. Dodgers and Braves Dodgers the winner tonight at The Ravine ten to eight in the final, Thanks for listening, Thanks for being a part of the show, Thanks for podcasting. So everybody