Speaker 1: Ah, thank you WODDI here we are on a Monday night. Do you know what's for dinner tonight? Because I got an idea. I got an idea for you. What if I told you that you could go to Plano and get pizza the Dallas Morning News voters said is the best in all of DFW. You could order pizza from anywhere, but why not go get what Dallas Morning News readers are saying is the best pizzeria in all of Dallas Fort Worth. That's Andrew's American Pizza Kitchen. It's located on Preston and Plano Parkway. Skin Wire folks flocking to Andrews, Well, they're probably going there because of the same reason. I went there last night. On the way home from the mav game.
Speaker 2: I stopped off at Andrews and I got three different styles of pizza.
Speaker 3: Ben think about this.
Speaker 2: Everyone in my family wanted something different, so we got three different styles. They make it easy. They have five different styles there. You gotta try the Dallas though. There's the one that came from Picasso's.
Speaker 1: It's great.
Speaker 2: They have great pasta, they have great pizza. They have an awesome bar. I sat up at the bar and drank a big german last.
Speaker 1: Night, and you can do it too.
Speaker 2: Go to Andrew's American Pizza Kitchen right there at Preston and Plano Parkway.
Speaker 1: It is delicios. Man. All I can think of is Shane Gillis doing Trump talking about the Mavericks. I wish I had recorded it.
Speaker 3: He did.
Speaker 1: That is his bit. He did it. Oh that's crazy. He goes just riffing. He guess what do you want? Y'all want some Trump? Y'all want a little Trump. He's like, I'll do Trump. What are you gonna talk about it? He goes here we are, He goes Luca, he's white. We have the he's white. He's white. You know, he's just talking about he's a white player. And we love that. We love that he's white. He's so good. He's white, the white Mavericks.
Speaker 3: That's what he was saying to Mammonia Slovinian. She is, oh, is that right? Slovinian?
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 2: I actually didn't realize that, and I think it was my wife that brought it up the other day, and I was like, I don't think she's Slovenian. I think there's really only one true you know, famous super famous Slovenian.
Speaker 1: It's Luca. And then we looked up.
Speaker 2: She's like, no, she's Slovenian, and I was like, so Luca's more famous than the first lady in terms of his Slovenian heritage.
Speaker 3: I would think, I don't know, recovery beer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he needs recovery beer. All right, let's talk a little sports, shall we, because the big news of the day is that Mike McCarthy is out. I was shocked that he was had a chance to stay. I thought for sure he was going to be gone. I thought for sure Jerry was so pissed earlier in the season that he had a guy in mine and McCarthy was done. But then Jerry tried to keep McCarthy and he and then it looked like, oh, he's not letting McCarthy interview with the Bears. Okay, he's declining that interview. He's denying them permission to talk to him. That means he's staying. And I thought it was a foe gone conclusion. I kind of talked myself into okay, okay, staying that's the best thing. And then they didn't get a deal done. So the guy he wanted, Jerry Lowbauld. Jane Slater reported that it was the number of years was the problem. So he wanted to keep him, but he didn't want to commit to him long term because he's not really sold on him. But he was sold enough to try to get a deal done and then couldn't get a deal done. It is crazy. And so while he was negotiating with McCarthy, he could not talk to any of the assistants that are active in the playoffs because that window he missed it last week waiting to talk to McCarthy. So now he didn't talk to any of those guys and he won't be able to talk to him now until after the super.
Speaker 3: Bowl, Yeah, a couple of weeks so, or until they're eliminated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or when those teams get eliminated.
Speaker 2: But everybody's going to be waiting for Ben Jonson and yeah, I mean some have already done it though, did it last week?
Speaker 3: That's the whole point.
Speaker 1: If they interviewed with teams last week and they hit it off and a team said, yep, that's our guy, maybe they had a great love connection and maybe those deals are done deals and.
Speaker 4: Jerry probably just thinks those guys will wait on me anyways, if they really want to come here, yeah, and I'll think someone who wants to be here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's it's messy. It is dysfunction at such a high level. But none of us should be surprised anymore. They have botched this, and so Mike McCarthy moves on and the Cowboys now need a head coach.
Speaker 4: Oh well yeah, I mean I'm not like I've seen like That's the number one takeaway I've kind of has shocked me all today is everyone's like kind of like mad at the Cowboys for how they've handled this. And I do understand it because it's not probably the best way to do it. But also it's like, who wanted Mike back?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't want Mike back. It's just really I think for me, and we knew this already. I think if they brought Mike McCarthy back, you could convince me in some way that at least, even though it's flawed, they have a plan. But to spend time making you think they want Mike back and then to just part ways a few hours before he can hit the open market is just affirmation that no, they genuinely fly by the seat of their pants. They probably have some loose ideas of stuff they like. But if they we had a plan, they would have executed that plan a week ago. We wouldn't have spent a week doing all this crap. And if these reports are true, there's indications that they did have some conversation. And again, Jerry did say a week ago that the hay is already in the barn. You know what it is, So then why did you wait a week? And I'm not buying the whole Well, it's a great marketing thing. I'm not buying that. I don't because Mike. Why would Mike McCarthy go along with that? What benefit does he get? He can go out there last week say they're not talking to me at all and they're not letting me talk to other teams. But he didn't, And so this isn't to me. I agree wrong. This isn't a case of like great marketing. This is a case of they thought they were going to bring Mike back and now they're not.
Speaker 1: It would have been a marketing play if they did bring him back, because it's like, let's just milk this, let's get these But it wasn't that at all. Because they wanted to negotiate. But it honestly goes back to the Jimmy Johnson thing, and it's when you know, Jerry hired Switzer and it's like, man, any he could coach this team. They don't value the job. They think they are the ones pulling the strings. They're the ones that make the difference, and the coach is the coach. It's not a huge difference maker. They don't see any reason to go out and pay a guy top of the market or go get the biggest name. They want to go get a guy who will carry their water to a degree and deal with their uniquely weird organization. They don't think it's a big time position. They don't think it matters.
Speaker 4: I've also seen a little bit of a sentiment of like they if they would have just let Mike do his thing, then things have been better. But dude, they gave Mike the keys two years ago. Yeah, when Kellen Moore hit the road. Now there's probably internal regret after seeing Washington win last night against the Bucks, going, man, if we would have just kept Dan Quinn.
Speaker 3: I mean, I do think that's a real thing.
Speaker 4: I think I do think Jerry watched those games yesterday and went Jesus because if they Kellen are succeeding, if they kept.
Speaker 2: Dan Quinn, Dak would have been like, bring Kellen back. Yeah, dan Quinn already had the wherewithal the higher Kellen, so that the top of that coach tree right there would be what is running your team right now? Now the injuries happened, They weren't going to get past the injuries. Maybe they could have put themselves in a position to be you know, ten and seven or nine and eight or something like that with better coaching, being more organized, which wouldn't have been enough.
Speaker 1: And stas off they set it out. They didn't do it. He didn't do anything to help his coach.
Speaker 4: And that's where we go like who wants the job? And there's probably a ton of names. We talked about him in a couple other segments. There are people who are gonna want the job because it's the cowboy's job. There are going to be people who make more sense. This is a win now roster, though, which does not always look like that based on the season we just watched, right, but this is a team who needs to hire a coach who's ready to win now, not a program builder. I think that's a smart thing, especially if you consider that Jerry's eighty two years old. Yeah, I mean that matters, and he can say it doesn't it does.
Speaker 1: That's that's weighing on him. They need to win fast, no matter what they do. I think it's the that they didn't have a plan. I would have had confidence if they they were decisive and they had a plan midway through the season and they were partner ways with McCarthy or they let's get this deal done with McCarthy. This just shows they didn't have a guy. They didn't have a plan. They are winging it, and no matter what they do from this point forward, it won't be their Plan A, it'll be Plan B. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it also just underscores that it's really been the same thing for thirty years and it's not going to change. And everybody knows it. And that's the thing. We all know this, We've all talked this into the ground. But when these things happen, they slap you in the face and they remind you of just how hopeless the situation is. Now they have enough talent to go. I mean, I think you've got to give McCarthy credit for those three big win seasons. That's not easy to do in the NFL. But the bottom line is that when you watch the playoffs, that's where coaching is completely magnified and you see those decisions Like you say whatever you want about Jason Garrett, I will forever remember him as the guy that panicked more than the rookie quarterback and called that time out for no reason to make sure that Aaron Rodgers had a chance to beat you. That is so dumb, That is so out of step with how people are winning football games. Like watch the end of these games and look, guys are on the seven yard line not going for field goals, Like the game has changed and there's nothing in the Cowboys organization that has changed in thirty years. And we all know this, but it happens, and then these things happen. It just reminds you, Wow, you really are stuck with this, no matter how good the personnel.
Speaker 1: Is and how is the team have a ten billion dollar valuation? How are the most valuable team in sports? Like do the Jets have a huge valuation? Dude? The worst the other worst teams in the NFL that continually don't do anything in the postseason are they also worth ten billion?
Speaker 2: It's but it's Jerry deserves a lot of credit. But the number one thing that Jerry deserves credit for is seeing an incredible asset that was distressed by the Murkison family. And that's and and then he took the industry that he bought into and just exploded it with that TV deal that changed the course of this. But a lot of what we're talking about here, the groundwork was done by tech shram. I mean, there's tons of iconography going back to my childhood that the Cowboys, And that's why Ben and I talk about these things that'll happen in other country. I've been on a beach before in Turks and Keikos and a guy from New York recognized my voice from the fan. And that's not because of the Cowboys of twenty fourteen. That's because of the Cowboys of the seventies and what happened there with that group. And Jerry saw that, and like, I can take that asset and make it something spectacular.
Speaker 1: But why don't people leave?
Speaker 3: Why don't people go?
Speaker 1: Here's why don't people bail everyone? They'll still have the biggest ratings on television.
Speaker 3: Because they are a top ten winning team over the last fifteen.
Speaker 1: Years record wise.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Jerry, I'll tell you that I'll go on the highest winning percentage of the last fifteen years.
Speaker 3: Thanks seventh or eighth. I mean, that's amazing. Can I can I.
Speaker 4: Cut McCarthy's some slack for a second? He's been in my cross hairs for a long time? But would you like to have Todd Bowles as your head coach? Because I have to play you this interview from halftime. He's been in your crowchairs cross hairs and my crowchairs. Uh to is the coach of the Bucks and this is his halftime interview. You know, how are we gonna stop Jaden Daniels?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: And on defense?
Speaker 5: How do you limit Jaden Daniels? You gotta get them in long third and longer yards. You gotta win first down and kid getting out of the pocket to his left to his our left, his left, I mean our left.
Speaker 1: Is right and we gotta cut that down thanks to.
Speaker 3: I mean, what happened the directions?
Speaker 1: Could I hear it again?
Speaker 5: Long third and longer yards? You gotta win first down and kid getting out of the pocket to his left, to his our left, his left, his left. I mean our left is right and we gotta cut that down thanks to.
Speaker 1: The players. That way there, what coach?
Speaker 4: What also can I get mad real quck? So last night this I'm gonna play you clip from this is December eighth. Okay, here's Mike Turco, righty, it's.
Speaker 1: The duke for the division for the Chiefs the December eighth.
Speaker 4: The Chiefs win the division when the kicker dongs it off the uprights. And Turiko it's like he didn't go to f in broadcasting school called it the doint for the division. He had his chance to have the dog for the division. But then back in life, you get a second chance. Here's Tariko and Collinsworth last night the zang Gonzaz the kicker for the Commanders. He's got massive OCD, he's insane and he dogs it off the uprights. And listen to how Tariko and Collinsworth handled this. I'm so disappointed from thirty seven to send Washington to the Final eight.
Speaker 3: Though Washington.
Speaker 5: Around I.
Speaker 6: Have seen it all now I even get a defensial dot. I feel like every time I still game, you'll go like something up right, Oh my.
Speaker 1: Dong, it's a dong that doesn't sound like a doint.
Speaker 3: It sounds like a dong.
Speaker 6: You had your chance.
Speaker 3: He's idiots.
Speaker 4: Thank you you did ten years ago with Al.
Speaker 2: Why are we not going to talk about that kicker just freaking out?
Speaker 1: Let's god, man, dude, does he do that before every kick? With his hair?
Speaker 2: Yes, he couldn't figure out how to put his helmet ones and the socks.
Speaker 3: I saw that struggles with it.
Speaker 2: Okay, but they were explaining the socks and shoes differently.
Speaker 3: Well, there were time. I don't think they knew until today.
Speaker 4: Oh but his helmet thing, themes, its hair, that helmet thing was crazy to me.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you, Kevin,