Speaker 1: Is Michael Garfild.
Speaker 2: Michael Garfield.
Speaker 1: Michael Garfield's joining.
Speaker 2: Us in the high Tech Texan.
Speaker 1: Michael Garfield is here with a high Tech Texan. ITMS to make life easier some new technology.
Speaker 2: So Michael Garfield has something you might want. Texas. Michael Garfield is your high tech Texan. Three decades helping you make magic with your gadgets. Heard worldwide on the iHeartRadio Act. Now your high tech Texan. Michael Garfield.
Speaker 1: Thank Hod, It's Saturday. See what I did there? My friend is Michael. I hope we are still friends and you can call me just to make sure we do. This is a semi live radio show that we have done for Will over twenty years. Some of you are younger, younger than the age of this show. Seven one three, two, one two, five, nine to five. Oh should you be listening live? Which is actually called radio, which is different than a podcast. I just don't have enough time to explain the difference. But he started out in the early two thousands to talk about technology, advise you of what products are out there, what to get. Shouldn't you get a high definition TV? And if you do want one, do you want a plasma or do you want to an led we go back a long time. Let me explain what Wi Fi is now. It's a consumer lifestyle show. I test drive every type of automobile there is. Actually just got back from Dallas a week ago at the annual Texas Auto Writers Texas Truck Rodeo, where I got to drive over thirty different trucks from different manufacturers and SUVs up and down mountains and hills through mud. I will give my thoughts and answer your phone calls and answer your emails or even all of your tweets or your comments on Instagram about which automobile could be right for you? Is now the time to go ev Should you go hybrid?
Speaker 2: As?
Speaker 1: You should go hybrid? Some of the many, many things that I do. Topics that were to cover today. What's happened this week or two? I was on the road again this week to my favorite state into this country, California. I was out there for a few days, but a last I am back at the great state of Texas. Verizon, were you affected by the outage this week? It's twenty twenty four. Don't you think technology company data companies, cell phone companies would would would really figure out ways to make sure that their service is just constantly on. I guess not Verizon. Last Monday there was an outage. If it affected you, I'll tell you some of the reasons why that potentially happened. How to get around it if your service goes down. I phone users, believe it or not, were able to get around it because there was a feature on iPhones. And I know this hurts me to say, because I'm an Android guy. iPhone has a satellite SS satellite service that I think all phones should have, and I do think it's a neat feature. I will tell you how to turn that on because it can be important, as we have seen this past week week and a half from that devastating Hurricane Helen, how it went up all the way to the Carolinas in the least coast, where so many people were sadly killed and they were out of communication because Carolina, they just they were unprepared. They just didn't think, hey, we're gonna have a hurricane coming, you know, doing a sneak attack from the southwest side instead of coming from the east coast. It was bad and I just heard so many stories, personal stories. How you know, somebody's parents were they have not heard from them because there was no cell phone service and there was no electricity. There are actually ways to stay in contact when your service is down. I will talk about that Wi Fi on planes. I've been on a heck of a lot of planes, both the best depleted internationally for the past two months. It's still kind of an interesting state. Yes, I'm happy there is Wi Fi on planes. It's just it's it's kind of a sad stake. You never know what you're gonna get because I've flown different airlines and some are better than the worst. But our good friend in our Texas resident, Elon Musk may be coming to the rescue with a way to not only get better, faster Wi Fi on airplanes, but our favorite four letter word free. Should Wi Fi service be free? Hell, yes it should, and now on planes it may be. But I want to start with this. Where were you Friday morning about four forty five four fifty am. Were you in bed? Did you get a wake up call? Because millions of Texans were jolted out of just before five am Friday? When Hall County, Texas, anyone anyone Hall County by the way, it's somewhere just north of Lubbock, with a population of twenty eight one hundred people. Hall County issued a blue alert, a blue alert which went out on millions of cell phones. Were you awakened? Love to hear from you. We have to figure out what needs to be done, because at some point these alerts are going to be crying wolf. They're going off at a more frequent pace of quote unquote emergencies. And I'm not going to sit here and defind what an emergency is. Because there was a deputy in Hall County that was injured by a fleeing suspect. Okay, I'm not taking that lightly whatsoever. But at some point we're getting in these alerts, We're not going to pay attention to it. It was triggered by the Texas Department of Public Safety. It was a deputy that was injured. H and is he? Is he okay? Hopefully is okay? I don't even know the end of this, because this is not the point of the story. Did you think when your alarm went off at for when you're when your cell phone, when your cell phone, your partner cell phone, your kid's cell phone, all the stroke just goes nuts. At four fifty four in the morning. Was that necessary talk to me here at seven one three, two one two five nine five. Oh, no, matter where we are. The alert was not an emergency for most of the state of Texas. What exactly did they expect anyone to do? Run outside, look around for the suspect. And I'm reading some of the comments that that that were that people were were tweeting, were posting on Reddit, you know quote, I thought a plant was I thought a plant exploded. I needed to evacuate. That's the kind of this this needed to be. I mean, some people thought the Germans invaded again it was in an alien attack. It was a blue alert for a very very small community in the Panhandle of Texas well, just north of Lubbock. Why did it need to go to millions of people all over the state. I mean, what are we doing here? These things need to be regionalized. I remember was it Hawaii was at Honolulu three four or five years ago that someone accidentally that were trying to test the emergency alert system on cell phones and highway signs and it said there was incoming bombs literally bombs are being invaded And there was ten minutes before I think the state of Hawaii was going to blow up. There was something of the of that matter. Go look it up and google it. I mean, do you understand what kind of frenzy this puts? It? To me? It puts it creates more of an emergency. So what do you do? I don't know, because I was one of the lucky ones. I was one of the smart ones. Because I have all my emergency alerts turned off. I can't tell you if this is a good thing, and I can't tell you if it's a smart thing. But damn it, I slept in on Friday because I didn't hear the at freaking four fifty three, four fifty four in the morning. When something real happens, if there really is an emergency, I'm not gonna know about it. Because there is a setting in all of our phones, be it Android, be at iOS. Go to your settings, go to alerts, go to alarms. Look for emergency alerts. Now you could set them to silent, well you'll they'll still pop up and you won't get an alert to wake you up. I turn everything off. There's tornado alerts, there's hurricane alerts, there's there's a presidential alert, there's a there's an emergency alert. I don't know, they're gone zone for me. All I know is if I hear my neighbors running or screaming or something outside. That's what I know there's an emergency. I just would sleep in. Anybody have a solution for this thing, I'm more than happy to call the Texas Department of Public Safety and get to the bottom of it. I'm calling Greg Abbott, I'm calling Ken Paxon. I'm gone. I'm running for governor. There you go. No more emergency alerts. Listen your calls. Things to give away. We're gonna have some fun as the first Saturday as I do this show live in October, wake me up when September rans Michael Garfield is a day. This is the high Tech textan show all the indeed the high tech text and shoe, A little less of the tech and a lot on personality and a lot on what's going on. I don't know what your life in my life? You are you ready to purchase something? Give me about three two to three weeks towards the end of October, we'll start doing the holiday gift guide. Man, I really I'm starting to get a lot of products for you know, the Black Friday Shopping, the Cyber Monday shopping testing, some a few things, not only here on my radio show, but also as I pop up on Great Day Houston, a lovely TV show you can see Monday through Friday, channel eleven CBS k JOU with the host Deborah Duncan, longtime friend of mine. I pop on and I'll contribute. I'll do some tech and my stick, but I will have some some product reviews there show off some of the good best bets. If you specifically looking for something right now, maybe it's a car, maybe it's a truck. I am here for you. I'm going to give you this ten digits phone number which is seven one three two one two five nine five. Oh, that number has not changed since I started this show twenty two years ago. And Callum twenty two years of Calum reed over here, the wonderful, smart, talented gentlemen who who callum you run. I'm just gonna say you were the king of all of our am stations here, not just nine fifty but also seven seven ninety. Sports leader, the newsleader, the talk leader calling you do a great job. Were you twenty two years ago? Were you born? Okay, you were a little kid, all right. Anyway, The point is Callum's answering the phone calls. If we feel like putting you through, then we will talk to me. If not, I am on most all most all social media other than TikTok at high tech, text at high tech te x a n unless I've blocked you, which I actually have blocked several people. But that's neither here nor there. Talking about your early morning wake up call on Friday morning yesterday, if you're listening live for the emergency alert that went across Texas, millions of people were woken up. What was it? Just before five am? For a blue alert? A blue alert which means a police officer, a deputy, a sheriff. There was an issue in just outside of Lubbock. Do you know how far Lubbock, Texas is from Houston area. Yeah, it's about honestly three states away, even though it's in our same state. We have a big state here. People. If you did die to that, how do you are these necessary? At some point? These emergency and what they are. And I'm gonna explain this. It's an fc C thing now listen. I am not going to rag on the FCC because the FCC is our friend here at iHeartMedia. We love we love the Federal Communications Commission because we have to adhere to their policies. We can't save four letter F bombs. We could do an own podcasts, which is this is also podcast, but since I am live over the air, we can't say anything back. So we love you FCC. But the FCC does a lot of things, and they have instigatively years ago they created an entire system called the Wireless Emergency Alerts w EA, and it really is an essential part of America's emergency preparentness. And it's been around since twenty twelve, so we've got twelve years into it and it's been and because we are fact finders here at the High Tech Text and Show, let me give you some stats. It's been used more than eighty four thousand times to warn the public about dangerous weather, missing children, other critical situations, all through the alerts on compatible cell phones and other mobile devices. And so wea the Wireless Emergency Alerts. It's public safety system and it allows customers who own these mobile devices to receive and I love this and now I'm reading this from the FCC website right now, and I'm quoting geographically targeted text like messages alerting them of imminent threats to safety in their area. Now let me stop right here. I want the definit I really should call out the FCC. What is it geographically targeted? Because we need to get this geograph targeted down to a more concise area. Because there was no need to wake up millions of Texans, some of them six hundred and seven hundred miles away, hands in the air right here about something that was going on in a small town north of Lubbock of twenty eight hundred people. I don't think it was. I'll again state this, I'm not diminishing what an emergency is. I'm not diminishing missing kids. I'm not or assaulting police officers or anything of that nature. We live in We live in a hurricane prone zone here in Houston. I am from Dallas, and a lot of my listeners right now listening in Dallas it's a tornado prone zone. So I do appreciate the emergency alerts. We got to target this stuff, but better FCC or whoever's doing this. But the WEA the wireless emergency alerts, what they do they enable government officials to target emergency alerts to specific geographic areas and it works. And this is how it works. Authorized national, state, or local government authorities they send alerts regarding public safety emergencies, severe weather, missing kids, the need to evacuate using these wireless emergency alerts, and authorize public safety officials. They send these alerts through a system run by FEMA. All right. They send it to participating wireless carriers, which then push the alerts to compatible mobile devices in the affected area. Again, I'm reading this from the FCC website because the affected area really was not affected this past Friday morning. They're free. If you think it cost anything to receive these, don't worry. It's free. Customers don't pay to receive these. Wa you know what, they actually should pay us to receive them, especially for that early morning wake up call. You don't need to sign up for the services. And they delivered national alerts that's issued by the President or the administrator of FEMA. There's an imminent threat alert, which is imminent threats to safety or life. There's an amber alert, which is missing children very important. And there's public safety messages conveying lanations for saving lives and property. Now whatever carrier. You're on participating carriers, they may allow subscarbage to block everything or some of them. What happens, You get a message, you get a beep, you get alert, and these sorts do not track you. It is not designed nor does attract the location of anyone receiving alert, which is probably why everybody in the state of Texas have received it. Will most everybody, I probably received it. I'll tell you again, I don't allow these alerts, and I'll be honest with you. At some point I personally, you may personally may need this alert. Elderly people missing, You can't. Mom and dad took the car, they're they don't know where they are. Your children, All of a sudden he has gone missing, stolen car, there's a there's an escape convict near a prisoner. You got it. So this is this can be and I use the word can't, can be an effective way to will alert us because not all of us are watching the TV at any given time. Remember back in the old day, we're watching TV and all of a sudden, screen goes crazy and crackling. Here's this white, you know, slate of a TV with like there's a state of emergency, right now there's a tornado one, okay, but not all of us where everywhere? Moked. All of us carry our cell phones almost everywhere we go. We sleep next to them. They're they're on our they're on our tabletops, next to our beds. That's why we were waking up. And these well, we can partially block them. Allegedly, we're not supposed to block national alerts, but I think I believe as as I checked my cell phone settings, you can change these settings. There's last question, and I got about a minute here. How geographically precise is are these wireless alerts? And I'm reading right now on the FCC website the geographic precision is continuously approving, improving. Yeah, I love that. When the alert program launched, participating wireless providers were generally required to send the alerts to a geographic area no larger than the county or counties affected by the emergency. People. That was twenty twelve. They just sent this freaking one to the entire state of Texas, all right. Then in twenty seventeen, participating wireless providers will required to transmit alerts to geographic areas that best approximated the area affected by the emergency, even if it was smaller than a county. There are a number of different ways to send alerts. There's what is it? There is an app called next Door. Anybody I use next Door. I sell some of the stuff in my garage. If there is a if there's a power outage, I go to next door because this is a neighborhood specific. These are the types of apps and alerts that I think are going to win win WI N ultimately to make us believe even more. Anyway, if you're ticked, what can we do enough of that? Here's an emergency alert. People don't go anywhere we're taking you, and we're coming back to the high tech text and show pe it is hyphol. You call me Garth, all right, if you have my cell phone number, please don't send me a wireless emergency alerts. We've just been the first half hour of this year talking about what the FCC is doing with these wireless emergency alerts and why most Texans were awaken at four fifty four am on Friday for a and I'm not gonna call it a need I'm not gonna call it a needless wireless murgency alert, but it was something in a little small town north of Lubbock, Texas, which is very far away from Houston, Beaumont, Galveston, our listening audience here. But congratulations you are awake at UH seven one three two one two five nine five oh. Speaking of which, though, let's talk about this Total Wireless. I you know, what, if you need a cell phone service and you want to save some money. I have been using Total Wireless for the past several months. Very simple to switch over your phone number. Phone numbers now nowadays breaking news. They're called portable, which means you pretty much can take your phone number and you can change it to any carrier. And I asked people, It's like, why are you paying so much money? How much do you pay per line? I mean, are you still paying seventy five bucks one hundred bucks on hundred and fifty bucks per line? And then you've got your family plan you're paying three four five. I have one hundred dollars I am paying a fracture of that. I mean, can you can get you know, something you know as low as anywhere you know somewhere between twenty five thirty five forty five dollars per month, some of it unlimited five G service Total Wireless. There's specific it's probably about ten twelve thirteen stores here in and around the Houston area owned by a company called Victra Victra dot Total Wireless dot Com. Go in and I'm gonna entice you right now. I'll tell you what now, caller, I'm gonna give you right now a twenty dollars gift card that you can go into a Victra owned Total Wireless store. Use it to get though, obviously, whatever you want. If you want phone cases, phone cords, phone chargers, you could bring in terms of service. You can bring your own phone in. You don't need to buy a phone from them. They'll just switch over your phone number and they'll light it up. They even have five G home wireless Internet. That's right, my internet at home over the air the cell phone phone towers. They are now producing five G home. I have a I have a router. It picks up the home wireless internet from over the year and it just Wi fi is. It throws that out all over my home and it's super super fast. Check it out colored number nine seven one three two one two five nine five ozho you win a twenty dollars gift card to one of the Victor owned total wireless stores and so congratulations to that. The what it's like, Let's let's see do I want to Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and blend this in iPhones, which I don't use so often. They got the iPhone sixteen. They just they're getting ready to lease the AI type of thing iPhones which I don't have. They have a feature that other phones don't have. It's an emergency s OS satellite messaging feature. And this came into the headlines this past week because there was a big, big emergency with Hurricane Helene. You know, obviously we did not know, no one really knows on the on the least coast that it was just just barreling through and just decimated so many communities, cities, municipalities, especially in Carolina. I hear about Asheville, Carolina, North Carolina. It was just there was no cell service, there was no there was just just millions and gallons of water was just just raining down. But being in an emergency without a way to contact your family or nine to one one, it's scary. And weather events, which we know all too well here in Southeast Texas, hurricanes they can wipe out homes and phone lines and power lines, and that makes the usual cellular or Wi Fi networks impossible to use. However, not so fast, my friends. If you have an iPhone, you can connect to a satellite to call for emergency services or send to your loved ones. And this is important, and I want you to take notes, and I'll actually slow down my speech pattern, which hurts me to do, so you can explain it to it pretty much all of your family members. It may sound complicated, but it's not because your phone actually does most of the work. I want you to go outside and find a spot with a clear view of the sky. Okay, no tall buildings, no trees, because that potentially can interfere and prevent the phone and satellite from connecting. If you need to send an emergency signal, go outside, clear view of the sky. Hold your phone is normal, and let your device direct you which way to turn so we could find the satellite. There are two different satellite communication methods on the iPhone. There's an emergency SOS via satellite and there's something on messages via satellite, and there's a difference. Emergency SOS via satellite it connects you to emergency services while messages via satellite allows you to send text to both Apple and Android devices. Now your phone tries every possible way to connect when you dial nine to one one all right. If it's not successful, you're gonna see a message gicon with a very small red SOS on it. At that point, you could tap that and you can answer the prompts that appear. It can help you connect to the right agency. Now, when your device connects to emergency SOS, it shares your location and medical idea information with first responders. Now, the emergency SOS via satellite, it requires an iPhone fourteen or later. So you've got to have a relatively new phone now knowing that the iPhone sixteen just came out, so about two years, two to three years, and it's got to be running iOS sixteen point one or later. Again, another reason why you should continually to update and upgrade your software with all these updates. This just through messages through satellite that also requires an iPhone fourteen or later. According to Google, and I checked this right now, there's only one phone that allows for this, and this is their Pixel nine. Google has a phone, but if you did not know this, it's an Android it's called Pixel. The Pixel nine devices currently the only devices with the ability to contact emergency services via satellite, and the device also needs to have Google Messages as the default message. You gene have, which is good because I use Google Messages. Owe's gonna prompt you where you need to stay for the satellite and everything right now. I believe the service is free for at least the next two years. But these are the things. Listen. If we pay all this money, and we shouldn't be paying money because I just told you. Total Wireless, for example, which uses the price in nutwork, it is relatively expensive. But if you think or you're paying too much money, everyone switched to Total Wireless. But number two it should be included. A friend of mine whose parents lived live in and they're fine. They live in North Carolina, and she went on Facebook Monday or Tuesday, right after Hurricane Helene wiped that and she was desperate. Does anybody live in the Ashville, Carolina, North Carolina area my parents? I have not heard from my parents. They have no cell service, they have no electricity. I'm very worried about them. How scary is that, man? How scary is that satellites are up there and we need to utilize them, which is a good segue for me, for me to talk about satellites courtesy of our good friend and resident Texan Elon Musk, you know Elon without getting into Polo tex without getting into better for words, the dudos Tesla. He's he bought Twitter, he's you know, screwing that thing up. But he and his company do know how to shoot rocket ships into space with SpaceX. And he has another company which is called Starlink, and it's a network of satellites, of low orbiting satellites. So there are ways to communicate. And good old Starlink, slash Elin and the boys and girls, they are trying to bless us with better ways to communicate where maybe we do not at some point rely on cell service, and at some point we're not. We are going to have low orbiting satellites that we can use not only here on ground, but also in the air. Told you that I've been flying a lot. I flew two international trips last month of August, actually last month of September. Why don't August one in September. It was interesting because I was able to Wi FI over the Atlantic Ocean. It wasn't great. It was relatively slow. But at some point airlines are moving away from their current providers of how they deliver Wi Fi and they're going to be They're hopping on with Starlink. And not only that, it's free. Now. I don't know if this is a smart business model for for airlines, but we like free. But then again, somebody's got to make some money off this day. Jet Blue, believing that was the first airline to announce free Wi Fi in twenty seventeen. Delta came along after that. Now United and I fly Southwest all the time. I'm a big Southwest Airlines guy with you know, as an A plus preferred member. One of the perks I get. I get free Wi Fi. Sometimes it doesn't work, Sometimes it's slow. Sometimes I don't get all the messages or emails and I'm supposed to, but it's there. But Starlink is trying to work with a ton, if not every single airline to retrofit their system on all these airlines and communicate better. And it's not just for consumers to it's the way that actually pilots and the and the av addicts as they call it, work too. I dig that it's twenty twenty four. We need smarter companies, we need better connectivity. I don't like sitting on a play ley. I just I got back. I told you I got back from California. It was like three hour flight. I was on Wi Fi. I got some stuff done. Can you imagine? Listen, I was on a nine hour flight from Houston to Berlin, an eight hour flight from Houston to London just a month and month and month and a half ago. Big Daddy Garth just does not sit still. I need to be productive. We do need better Wi Fi connectivity. Something is being done about this, and this is something I am going to continue to keep up on. If you've got some more insight of information, he's what I'm here for. Come share it with me. Seven one three, two one two five, nine to five. Oh, we do have a winner for the total wireless twenty dollars gift card. Next next hour, have a gift card. If you're hungry, it's all must lunchtime. By the way, you're on a high tech textant show. Stay by gone to come right back? Job one more sentiment to go in this first hour of the high Day Texans Show. Happy College Football Saturday, college football kind of quiet this weekend, at least for me mine Texas Longhorns being number one ranked Longhorns. Depending on what the pull you're looking at. There's a bye week, prep Pigton for the greatest rivalry in college football next week. And I don't want to hear from all you Midwestern honks about Ohio State Michigan. I don't want to hear any of that now. No, it is Texas. Oh you somebody asked me, no, no one are my buddies texted to be two days ago because I started, you know, talking about the Texas OU game. Whether way back in the day. I guess when I was a kid, when I was at school. Let's put it this way, when I went to the University of Texas back in the eighties, was Texas a and m or Oklahoma considered to be more of a rival. And I may have a different take than this, but just just hear me out over here, because I know there's so many aggy listeners uh in this. You know, DMA in the Houston area, got respect for you people. Some of my best friends are Aggie's. It's fun, you know, giving each other the business back and forth. But whatever, I mean, I'm sorry, but growing up to me acts longhorns in football, the bigger rivalry was Oklahoma. The open phone lines right now, this could take a day seven one three, two, one two, five nine five. Oh yes, I know A and M is mentioned. It's name checked in the University of Texas fight song. I know, Saul Law. You know longhorns bevos horns off or whatever it's in the Aggies fight song. Okay, love it, but to me as a kid kid growing up in Dallas, Okay, here's the key thing. The Texas OU game every year, every year for over one hundred years has been played in Dallas, hop and Bo State Fair of Texas. The second Saturday in October. It was a it was a national holiday vacation. Obviously, I'm a fan, have a longtime family lineage at the University of Texas. You know, if you're a listener, ain't nobody who believes more burn orange than me. But it was Oklahoma. I remember my dad taking me to the game when I was incredibly young. I have been in my lifetime. I've been to over thirty five or forty Texas OU football games. It is it is unmatched because it's the State Fair because of the Fletcher's corny dog smell. Because it's almost exactly between Austin and Norman, Oklahoma. But it's also state the state versus state. This is where I actually could stand on my you know, my soapbox. There's Austin versus college station. But this is the state of Texas versus the state of I'm Oklahoma, and I know, and I'm losing my Oklahoma listeners right now, but I did. It's Texas Ou in my mind, much bigger rivalry than Texas versus Texas A and M. And I know we're listen, I'm gonna start talking trash and you're gonna start talking trash in about a month now, month and a half. And right now we're finally at the Aggi's and the Horns. They're gonna play again the day after thanksget think great? Did the rivalry is coming back? But it's it's it's Texas Ou. Any any other questions? Seven one, three, two point two, five, nine to five? Oh, as we continue the high tech Texan Uh, speaking of Oklahoma, there is apparently a toilet paper shortage in the United States. See what I did there, folks, That is talent to go segue like that. I was traveling this week, and you know, when you're traveling, you don't hear a lot of you don't get a lot of news. I get back and I see a meme or I see something about toilet paper, like, did I miss something? Is it COVID it again? Are we hoarding toilet paper? But toilet paper shortages in stores across our great country. Apparently they're giving folks nightmarish reminders of the pandemic era because apparently there is a major fort strike that is happening or happened and again you make guys in gals listening, you may want to fill me in on the details. But a port strike meaning a lot of things products that are shipped into the United States which go into ports. Galveston support got a big port here on the you know, the east end of Houston. They're they're they're going to be held up. There's more taxes or something like that. So apparently someone had a big idea that we need to go clean out all the toilet paper Walmart. I mean, this is a toilet paper hoarding two point zero. But let me help you out. Can I just stop? If you haven't figured it out right now, all the rumors. Let me just spell these rumors. These strikes at the ports from Texas all the way up I believe, to Maine on the East Coast. They will have zero impact on the supply of toilet paper because the overwhelming majority of US toilet paper it comes from here in the United States, domestic factories. You got it? Stop stop it. Maybe because I didn't go I don't even know how much toilet paper I have in my house. Stop it, people. If this keeps up, I'm gonna have to go get one of these high tech you know, bidet toilet systems that I see at Consumer Electronics Show every single year. What is the deal man? People? Just you just freak out? And why do it? What else? I want to know something that actually is going to be hurt by the supply chain with the major for it strike, I mean computer? A lot of computers are made. Are clothing? Every most every piece of clothing that I wear nowadays it was made in Vietnam or China because I wear all this athletic wear the leisure where that may start going up. But then again, don't buy clothes every single day or go through clothes like everybody goes through toilet paper, just just funny in a crazy world. How come we didn't get a wireless emergency alert at four fifty four in the morning saying, wake up Texans, go forward toilet paper. You see, that's the type of emergency alert. That's kind of a callback if you're just tuning in. I started off the show for the first fifteen or thirty minutes talking about the unnecessary, widespread emergency alert that most Texans received on Friday morning, waking them up from a small city just north of Lubbock, Texas. But they I had to send it out to every single person's cell phone in Texas to wake them up early in the morning. Didn't need that. You wanted a real emergency alert. You tell me when real toilet pairper hoarding is going to come into effect? My goodness, what is up with that? I will give you a little play by playbooks coming up next hour. I spent about a day and a half. Actually, I was at the State Fair of Texas. Was it media preview day last waiting for it opened. The State Fair of Texas is underway, which is the greatest and biggest state fair in all of these United States. You got big text, got the Cotton Bowl, and you've got the freaking Fletcher's Corny Dogs. If you die before you have a Fletcher's Corny Dog, you have never lived. It's a de facto auto show. It is one of the country's largest auto shows. Two million plus visitors over what three three and a half weeks that go through and you see cars and trucks. And that's one of the reasons I was up there, because I do review trucks and cars. The next day I got to go up in to Decatur, Texas. I should probably give a gift to anybody, a gift card away to anybody who could tell me where exactly is Decatur without looking at it on Google. I was in Decatur for an entire day at the Texas Auto Writers Truck Rodeo Roundup. Got to drive in over three dozen brand new SUVs, pickup trucks, mid size, the big full sized trucks. I will give you my thoughts on my favorite ones that I drove that are on the market right now. That's also some automobile news. Should you buy an EV, should you buy an electric vehicle? Or should you just not buy anything? Right now? You tell me seven one three two one two five nine five do We'll be back on the other side. So, Hi Texan is Michael Garfield?
Speaker 2: Michael Garfield.
Speaker 1: Michael Garfield's joining us. Yeah, the high tech Texan Michael garmil is here with a high tech Texans well items to make life.
Speaker 2: Easier, some new technology.
Speaker 1: So Michael Garfield has something you might like.
Speaker 2: Michael Garfield is your high tech Texan. Three decades helping you make magic with your gadgets occurred worldwide on the iHeartRadio Actors. Now your high Tech Texan, Michael Garfield.
Speaker 1: Quite a happy hour, my friends. Actually Saturday, it's college football first Saturday in October. October my favorite month of the year. Dare I say so? It should be all happier. But we are halfway through the show, which I have dubb halfway to halfy hour sponsored by no one yet. Should you care to sponsor or take part in the business side of the show, feel free to contact me or one of the beautiful account executives here at Tech KPRC nine AM and Houston or iHeartMedia. That's how we keep this radio show for free. We love our sponsors, we love our partners. We give him some shout outs, I tell you where to shop, and then I surround it with unbelievable compelling content which I've already been through for the past hour. If you missed it, the show will be repeat on podcast thanks to Callum read over here, who's behind the glass. Once we got about fifty five fifty fifty minutes from now, Callum, we'll wrap up. He'll zip up this two hour show. He'll put it up online somewhere. When you go to iHeartRadio dot com or KPRC Radio dot com, you can listen to your heart's content about everything we talked about, including wireless emergency alerts. I bet some people, even though it's after noon welve noon Central time here on a Saturday, you're just waking up because you were woken You were awaken up real early Friday morning by a wireless emergency alert which most possibly had zero pertaining to you. Millions of Texans were awakened by their wireless emergency alerts for something that happened just near Lubbock, Texas. How do you stop those? You can turn those emergency alerts off. I went through the whole reason. While the wireless emergency alert system was created by the FCC, and FEMA and the whole spiel, and I asked the question, why can't it be more geographically centered than sending it out to pretty much everybody who has a cell phone around the state of Texas. That is some of the things that you can hear on the beautiful podcast that you could put your ear plugs in and wherever you are, you can listen to it. In the meantime, I am here for you alive. Should you be listening to the biggest talk radio station in Texas which is over one hundred years old seven one three two one two five nine five O KPRC Radio. Michael Garfield is the name not only here in Houston, but you can hear me everywhere because of this thing called streaming. And I have a lot of listeners all across this great state of Texas, including my hometown, my home city of Big d Dallas, which I was in about a week and a half ago for the media day for the State Fair of Texas which is going on right now, and also the Texas Truck Rodeo. Next segment or two, I'm gonna go over a list of the thirty plus trucks and SUVs that I got to drive from all different kinds of manufacturers and give you my thoughts on some are really cool ones, the neat features, some of the ones you may want to stay away from, because it's not just technology, you know, direct technology. People think, oh, he's gonna talk about computers, he's gonna fix your computer. No, I'm not gonna fix your computer. I'm gonna tell you which kind of laptop or computer to buy. I'm not gonna tell you how to fix your computer. But I also talk cars and automobiles. I am a longtime member of the Texas Auto Writers Association, and I was up in big doubt, and I'm going to Dallas again this coming week for a day to test drive a the new What am I doing? Is it the new Chevy Suburban? And is it the Cadillac Escalade. I don't know, but I do get the opportunity to test drive this stuff before you do. And yeah, I'm calling you guys out for that. You know, I've built a brand that's over twenty years where I'm lucky and honored enough to know manufacturers for so many products that they let me play with them, test them. They want my opinion, so then I can give you my opinion. I'll tell you what to buy what to stay away from. Speaking of Dallas, if you happen to see a lot of drones or robot delivery services rolling up and down the streets of Big d it's coming to you because there's a test program that's getting ready to start in Dallas only, and I'm interested in your thoughts on this about drone delivery and robotic delivery. It's a company called Serve Robotics and a company called Wing and they are hoping that flying drones in sidewalk delivery robots can improve delivery times for food and little things like that. So joint venture and they're doing a test run and they're gonna be doing it in Big d and within the next coming months, and it's gonna include in a select number of customer orders being delivered by a combination of flying drones and robots that roll up and down sidewalks. We know what drones are, and you probably have heard or seen video or the rumors that oh so many deliveries now are going to be delivered through drones that are going to land in your backyard and drop off your your packages and your ice cream that will melt in the Texas Sun before you know you're able to get it inside your freezer. They're gonna continue to do. These two companies will continue to, you know, perfect this system. To me, I don't. I just don't. It's gonna take a long while to perfect a system like this from cured delivery, anti theft drones dropping things off, leaving it in your front yard, backyard, people taking it before you do. What are the biggest challenges for drone delivery? It's coverage because flying drones can only travel a certain distance away from its headquarters. Sidewalk drones sometimes can find it hard to navigate through populated areas and rocky terrains. If you don't know what a sidewalk drone is, I don't know if they have them at Austin may have it, because Austin seems like a city that actually would have dress Well. I know La has them because I saw one in several actually in La and it's a weird looking thing. The first time you see it, it looks like a very very small baby carriage or a shopping cart. But it's like it's like an ice chest. You can't see it through. It's an ice chest, and it's locked, and it's got four wheels and it's automated, controlled with cameras. Then it goes up and down a sidewalk. The cameras see where the crosswalks are. Is it a green light? Is it a red light? Our cars coming, our people nearby? And it is programmed to go from point A to point B. Point A is where the food company maybe whether you order something, loads the food in these little robotic baby carriages. That's what I'm gonna call it. With a code and a lock and they'll punch in an address, GPS, cameras and everything, and it's gonna go maybe I don't know, half a mile mile whatever it is. And just the first time I saw this thing a year ago. I'm just watched this thing and it was amazing. I'm walking up and down a sidewalk and here comes this thing being just rolling by itself. Stops it that stops at a red light. Then it goes when it's a green light, it gets to its destination. You use an app, it'll let you know when it's there. You go downstairs, or we'll open your door. You punch in a code which is on the little igloo cod the the ice chest cooler baby carriage. The lid opens up and you take out whatever you do, and then it goes back and it's on its way. That's a rope that that's, in a very rudimentary term, what a robotic delivery system is on the ground, the sidewalk delivery system. And I don't know who's gonna be part of this test. Maybe my parents will be. I love them for my parents who live up Adelas to be part of the test. I'm interested to see if it works. I'm interested to see if their age group category and pretty with it would actually utilize something like this. And I bet been. I'm interested in your thoughts as we take a break here seven one three two one two five nine five zero. My question is I'm gonna tease you with this. Here's a question. How lazy are we? How lazy are we as a society that we can't get up off our off the couch to do a taco bell run or you know, to to drop pick off our cleaning. I know we are a busy society, Like, come on, man, is this something we need? Is this something that's gonna be prevcted? Is this something that you think big brother is gonna watch and they know and they put my foot chips in. It's a crazy category that I have my eyes and my wheels on. We'll talk more about this midside. I'm a high tech texting show. Look at the clock right now and it's just after noon as we are doing the show Plausibly Live and KPRC nine fifty am on this first Saturday of October, which means it's lunchtime. Who's hungry? Got a little gift card for you, twenty five dollars at Cabo Bob's. Such a Cabo Bob's fan, make your own burritos, burrito bowls, tacos could not be more fresh, so good, nothing artificial. The way that they cook their meat, the chicken, the barber CoA and their steak, they cook it on a Commoda Joe, which is just it's it's a big, massive cooker they have. They put it inside their restaurants and they obviously they can you know, they put an exhaust pipe so all the smoke goes outside. You go up and down the line, you choose the fresh Squalk the Pico four locations here in and around the city of Houston. Twenty five dollars gift card is for you. I am there easily twice a week, and do not sleep on their freshly made tortilla chips. These are those double thick tortilla chips that have a massive crunch. Always I get at least a small if not a large back to go last me a few days. Fresh squalk inside of case. So it's good. Twenty five dollars gift card going to Cobo Bob's seven one three, two one two five nine to five ozho calling number ten. Let's do that. Call it number ten. It's coming to you and give it about thirty seconds. It's gone, so you better hurry up. Not talking about the toilet paper shortage as I talk about the wonderful Cobo Bobs and there is no toilet paper shortage. If you go back and listen to the podcast, I will talk about that. Ease up. People stop porting toilet paper. Stop porting. You don't need toilet paper of TP domestically made here. It doesn't come through the ports in and around the country, so there's not a shortage. One thing that there was a shortage of years ago was cars. Remember during COVID that buying a new car all that so many of the dealership plots there you just couldn't find it, and car dealer shorts were trying to buy use cars. The ecosystem of car buying has kind of equaled out, and maybe almost too much. Reports I read there are almost too many unsold cars on lots right now. Depending on which manufacture you have and you put, potentially could get a good deal. But this time of year is always fun for me because this is the time of year where I get to test drive a ton of trucks. I am am a longtime member of the Texas Auto Writers Association, and every October there is at least one one and a half two day long big meeting conglomeration of manufacturers in people of my ilk who write, report, do videos, and review vehicles. We get together somewhere in the state of Texas to drive brand spanking new trucks, SUVs, and a number of other rugged vehicles like this, so we can do things head to head. We can get notes, we can get information. So you, my dear listeners, after twenty plus years listening to the high tech textan show, can ask me, Hey, Michael, I need a full sized truck with some of your faves. How about a mid sized truck. Got an SUV for me, something big, something to hold up to eight people. That's what I did about a week ago in Decatur, Texas Eagles Canyon Raceway. We met up there probably a sixty or so people who were members of the Texas Auto Writers Association, and there was about thirty thirty five thirty six different vehicles. And I have a list of some of the things that I got to drive, and this is everything from let me look at the manufacturers over here, Ram twenty twenty five RAM. I got to drive the RAM fifteen hundred in different variants. I drove the Limited, the Rebel, the Tungsten. I got to drive a RAM twenty five hundred. Toyota was there big time. Toyota brought out a number of different thing two different versions of their land Cruiser, two different versions of their Sequoias, some Tacomas, the big Tundra, the TRD pro. Kiyo was there with their Kiya EV nine EV. They had a Kia Sorrento. Lexus was there, had the GX five fifty and their t X five point fifty eight, which is a hybrid. Honda was there, Honda Pilot, Honda Prologue, the Ridgeline, Hondai, Santa Fe, Hyundai Santa Cruz. If you're familiar with Ineos I n Eos, it's a French automaker that actually are just starting to produce cars and sell cars here in the United States. The Ineos Grenadier and the Ineos Quartermaster. Those were pretty cool, very different, certainly head turners to see. Genesis, one of my favorite manufacturers. They were there. Interesting enough, it's not so much a pickup truck. They brought their GV eighty and GV eighty coop so Jeep had the Wrangler Rubicon and it goes on and on and on a bit more, but well over thirty different vehicles. And you know, don't cry for me, Argentina, but it's not. It's not all fun and games and simple test driving cars. In one day I tried, we had about eight out seven eight hours, and I've got to getting in and out a vehicle and keeping mental notes and trying to shoot video real quickly and talking to some of the manufacturers and remembering what are some of the accessories on this vehicle in this vehicle. Weather was nice, uh Sonny. Obviously, it was a lot of dirt and hills, and so it's you know, I I sacrifice my body and my time for you, my dear listeners. So if you are listening and you're interested in purchasing, test driving some sort of vehicles, certainly some of the ones that I mentioned, I am here for you at seven one three two one two five nine five VH. A lot of my reports are on my Instagram, my website, high tech texts, and you can follow that. I will say one of my favorite trucks that I drove surprised me. It was it's I don't get to test drive a lot of Toyotas. For some reason. I test drive a lot of rams, you know, Jeeps and GMCs and Chevyes. I do get Toyotas here and there, the Toyota Tacoma. I was in the Toyota to Limited. Now it's a mid sized truck, not a full sized truck. Now again, I'm giving you my personal opinion. I don't I personally don't need a full size truck. I don't need a fifteen hundred. I don't need anything. No, I don't because I don't slep a lot of things. I don't have a ranch. I don't need to tow a boat. I don't need to toss a bed in there to move everything, so they can give you my opinion if you want more, without a doubt, mid size trucks I like better personally. They're easier to park because they're smaller. They're still a bit five foot potentially a six foot bed if you want to schlep some things too. But I was very impressed with the Toyota Tacoma Limited. It's been out a little while. I like it because it was low to the ground, easy to get in get out. But the hiccup this bad boy had because of the engine was spectacular. And you want the word pick up to me, two things, Well, you can pick up junk like Sanford and Son and put in the back of a pickup, or you push down that gas pedal and put the pedal to the metal. This bad boy better have some pick up. No, the torque, the pound, the weigh ratio, everything, and the engine that was inside the Tacoma Limited was hallin'. It was halling a baby and very very impressive, and that one stood out. I like the full size. The rams were really good. I obviously I like all the accessories and incouterments because I do like the inside of vehicles because breaking news, we actually spend a lot of the times. We spend all of our time inside a vehicle. We want comfort, we want air conditioned seats, We want big touch screens. RAM has long done a great job with their big touch screens, so the RAM Limited phenomenal. The fifteen hundred Rebel, the fifteen hundred Limited were good. Twelve inch touch screens, the sound speakers that you can act. I will tell you what Stillantis does with their you Connect in Potama system my favorite across all manufacturers, without a doubt. I think that you connect systems, certainly in the RAM. If you've got the dashboard space to be able to put a big touch screen, put it in there. This is a vertical one. Ford has a horizontal one. GMC I believe as a Horizona one. Tesla's got the vertical one. It's just so simple and easy to use. I liked it a lot. In terms of a non pickup truck. What are the better ones? But if not my favorite to drug, I love Genesis. Genesis doesn't do wrong. Nowadays, Genesis has turned into a strong brand, and the GV eighty Loop three point five Turbo with an E Supercharge inside it is so luxurious. It's classified as an SUV, which is why it was at the Texas Truck Rodeo. It was great. If I was shopping personally for a car I would look for, I would look at Genesis, and again, this is non paid. I'm not gonna tell you a dealership. I don't know a Genesis dealership here. I don't know a lot of these are manufacturers. Everything that I speak about when it comes to automobiles, this is Michael Garfield's personal opinion, do not get paid. This is just just wrap. Some of the ones that I thought were the Hyundai Santa Cruz, odd looking vehicle. It's a kind of a cross betray a truck and a car. The Honda Ridgeline, same things. Okay, it's just they're just The rides were okay. The price decent, without a doubt, but just not as comfortable and as cushy as they were, Like have to go wrong with a Jeep Wrangler. Rumicon had the three ninety two Final Edition, which was a four x four. Not the cheapest thing on the market by any stretch of the imagination. But if you want something that's hold its value, if you want something that goes up and downhills. Jeeps are strong. The Jeep Wrangler Rubicon was fun, Lexus, very legit, jurious. Those were on the suv side. The g X five fifty, the Luxury Plus really cool. Love the fact that they don't do the UH, the little the touch pad anymore, so it's much more safe now. It was really good. And also I'd be remiss if we didn't talk about one more mid size vehicle. Was the Nissan Frontier. I liked it. It was the Pro four X version. If I'm gonna get a Nissan Frontier, I got to drive that. But it was the Pro four X. Great tires, you know, it's got what it's needed to be Inside, it's not the most luxurious, but if you do want a mid size, easy to park, tough, mid size truck, take a look at the Nissan Frontier. It's also priced pretty accurately too. So that's some of the stuff that I arrived throughout the show. I'm going to talk a little bit more, but I do have some open phone lines if you want to ask me questions specifically about UH. You may be interested in what to drive seven one three, two, one two, five nine five ozom go God. I builds a name, but doing it two plus decades hurt all around the world. On my part radio, where do you ride back? Thank you to our long time potkers and sponsors over here, including US queens and Jewelry. What time is it? People? All holiday season almost here? Who's a coin collector who wants some jewelry? Uh? US coins and Julie been doing it for two generations. Kenny Duncan, Matthew Duncan. You hear about them a lot on our radio stations here across Houston, and iHeart because so many of my fellow people here, my fellow buddies and pals, and on the air we shop there, We really do. You could find me there probably once every week or two. I just like walking up and down the aisles looking at other Rolex watches. They're sports memorabilia too. They're really building a big sports memorabilia collectors. If you're looking for a trading card, maybe some signed jerseys, they got those right on the Katie Freeway at Voss Road. Simple. They're expanding. They're big. Go in talk to Kenny Duncan. Matt Duncan talked to Will telling me you heard it on the Michael Garfield Show. It's nice because one time I was in there and they always ask, Hey, where'd you hear about us? Oh? I heard it on KT your Age or Kate p Orc some of someone they didn't know. I was standing there, someone named check. Oh I heard Michael Garfield talk about it. I'm like, well, hello, nice to meet you. It's it's really nice. Tell we heard it on the Michael Garfield There's show. There's several Michaels also who talk for them, and they are a wonderful dad. Don't forget holiday season's coming up. It's a great way to start kids off if they want to do some coin collecting. You never know some of the gems coins that you may be holding on to, or how much your coin collection is worth, or if you're looking to you know, some State of Texas memorabilia. But they're awesome. So I just want to give them a little thank you. And now I hope to see you if I happen to be in there one day soon. As we continue the Michael Garfield Show, sometimes we call it the High Tech Texan, I will talk a little tech. I want to talk about apps right now. I used to have I have Callum before Callum read over here, how are you doing you wake? Callum? Callum was on the other side of the glass. He's answering the phones here. Years ago, Callum, when I would, I'm gonna go back. Well, my show has been going on twenty two years or so, so about ten, twelve, fifteen years ago I did. I did a weekly segment and it was called kiss My App. I well, I know the SEC's listening. It's app app. Okay, kiss my app? Calum. See, we have a sounder for that thing we had. It was really nicely produced. It was these sound effects and it was like jish more app what I used to roove you an app? It was sponsored by somebody. I guess we stopped it because it was not sponsored. But anyway, we run across some apps that makes sense that'll change your life that are really cool. I found one the other day that I just have to share, and it is this. You know what This should have been a tease. I was gonna tease it before that the commercial break. I was gonna say, coming up, I'm gonna talk about an app that's gonna change your life in one specific room of your house. Now, if I said that what goes through your mind? I don't know. Actually, I don't even want to know what goes through your mind. So I found this out that will change the way I operate in one specific room of my house. Hello, the kitchen. I'm serious. So I like cooking. I live alone, enjoy cooking. Got a big kitchen, big counter space, everything. Sometimes I look at recipes, like, for example, I'm gonna give you a great example. I make my own hummus hummus. I've made it long enough that I should memorize the recipe, but I don't, and I forget. So I have a Google Nest, a little tiny video Google Nest older version that I can just get to pull up any recipe. And you may do this too, if you have a recipe that you use from your kitchen. Sometimes it'll pull up on your Alexa or whatever it is, and it'll show it'll go to this recipe website. Now, do you ever have this problem when you go to a recipe website? Do you have to filter through all this bs of whoever put the recipe on there, about their life story, all the pop up ads and all this other crap. Just give me the ingredients in what are the directions? One, two, three, four, five all I want to know? Okay, always had that problem. I've gotta scroll up. My hands have freaking chickpeas on them, and I'm like, gim it, people, I've found your answer. It is an app, and it's also a website too. It's called Just the reci Boom. It's the kiss my app app the week, brought to you by nobody. Go to just therecipe dot com, or you get downloaded on your Apple or you get downloaded on your Android. It is just the Recipe. It's phenomenal. Bottom line, Find any recipe you want on any website, no matter how much crappo a hat is on it. Cut and paste the url. Okay, copy the copy of the url. Okay, go to the just the recipe dot com paste it. Just paste the url and click the button. Boom. I don't know what magic there is. It extracts only the only the ingredients and only the directions. Boom. You're welcome. Any question. Seven one. It's free. There is a premium paid version where it stores like twenty recipes. You don't need that stuff, just use the free version. It's it's pretty cool because listen, I understand why these people who post these recipes. They want to tell you life story. You know what, when I grew up, my grandmother made the greatest buttermilk cookies and the US forever, and I would wake up and they're warm, and then I would snuggle with my dog in bed and blah blah blah blah blah blah. Because there's more words. The longer you're gonna be on their website, the more eyeballs they get, the more ads they can sell. I don't care. Would you just give me the recipe? Okay, it's the ADHD version of the recipe, and that's how I roll. Just the recipe. That's the name of the app, that's the name of the website. There you go. Anybody else got favorite websites? Like favorite apps? I probably should need to do this, but I need to bring we call of Callum. We need to bring back this kiss my app. I need I need to come up with my favorite app of the week. So anybody who has the suggestions pop them to me. Michael Garfield at iHeartMedia dot com. Find me on ex, Twitter and Facebook and bid Instagram. If you're not block High Tech Texan h I G H t c H t X An talked about some trucks. I did get some emails over here, Michael. I am in the mode at some point soon of getting a smaller SUV, nothing big. I don't want a gas guzzler. Do I want something that's electric? Do I want something that's hybrid? Good question. I appreciate you. That was from Sam Sam's in Parland, Texas. I'm going to answer the question with a question because I have to do it. Is this just for you? Sam? I assume Sam's a guy. Sam. Are you married? Sam? Do you have any kids? Sam? Are your kids old enough or the age where they go to school where you or your spouse or your partner you have to schlep themto school? Do they have soccer? Do they have dance? Do they have jim? Do they have swim practice? Is this your first car or will be your second car? These are questions I asked. When it comes to evs lit nick EV's, I think they are fast. I think they are designed very very nice and sharp. There's some there's some great ones like the Kia EV nine, which is a larger one, which I think is great. I actually just test drove that again last week at the Texas Troke Rodeo. They're smaller, faster evs. Yes, I can tell you to go get a BMW Mercedes, a poorche shop all these other evs. But the thing is, though, and I'm gonna give you my personal opinion personally, meet where I am in my lifetime right now. I don't want an EV okay, because I'm a one person dude. All my kids are grown up there, they're out of the house. I'm not married. I don't need to schlep anybody to just to soccer practice. And the reason I say soccer practice baseball practice in schools. If all you do is drive in a ten to twenty to thirty mile radius of taking the kids to soccer, taking them to school, going to the grocery store, and you work from home, you know what, Yeah, consider an EV. Consider getting an EV because odds are you're going to get a power supply that you can install inside your garage that you can continually charge it. You're not gonna go more than the normal range and range the you have to buy evs based on what's the battery range nowadays. I remember the first battery range was one hundred miles an hour. One hundred miles. Now I wouldn't don't even consider it. Range that's less than two hundred and fifty miles. If you get a bigger vehicle, some of these ranges can get up to four hundred to four hundred and fifty mile range. Okay, decent, But for me, in a snap, I go to Austin, I go to see football games, I go to see one of my sons living in Austin. Okay, I do not want to stop in bass Drop. Find an electric charging station. Pray that it's entirely juiced up to its full KILLO wattage, Pray that nobody's already there using it. Then plug my vehicle in and wait another freaking forty minutes to charge my vehicle. Ah, I ain't doing that people. Nope, no, sir, same thing. I go to Dallas to see my parents. Know. But if I'm driving in around town, if my home has a charger, if I drive it to work, maybe downtown Houston or on a suburb, and my work has charging a place that I can plug it in, coolioh That's how I determine. But if you ask me, the way to go is hybrid manufacturers right now that you're having a lot. There's a lot of evs on the market. Tesla, for example, they stop selling its cheapest version of its Tesla's model. Tesla sales are picking up a little bit, but they said they're escalating in price. Hybrids. To me, where you're gonna be able to get fifty sixty, seventy or eighty miles per gallant equivalent equivalent because it's an engine and gas. That's the way I would go, Sam, I hope, I am your question. We got one more segment. People feel free to get in before we get out of here. Then I'll let you go watch college football and you're on the ICEAD Texan Show. Just about nine more minutes of your time. That's all I ask. We will end the show, we'll wrap it up, we'll put it on our podcast at a short radio. Just make sure you download that free app, which by the way, is always the app of the week. Should you want to download a specific app and you can listen to it over and over again. Should you miss some of the Sexy show, you can listen to that all you want. First Saturday and October, Weather's slowly slowly at Texas trying to get better it's gonna get cooler. But we're in the midst of football season. Halloween is here, not doing the Halloween candy countdown yet, but you know Reesis is always the winner. But we do thank you for tuning in live every Saturday eleven a to one p and I incount do we still do a best of repeat from eleven PM at night till one am in the morning for all you late night truckers rolling through Houston listening on your big rigs. So you get twice two times garf on Saturdays. How fun is that? Or how boring is that? I'll give out the phone number one more time. Maybe we'll sneak in a call seven one three two one two five nine five. Oh, I debunked the myth that there's a toilet paper shortage. Most toilet paper it's made manufactured here in the United States, So stop hoarding people, stop hoarding it. No, we don't need to do that. I did just go through a whole list of trucks and SUVs that I got to test drive as I do at my annual October Texas Auto Writers Texas Truck Rodeo. More than happy to personally answer your some of your emails Michael Garfield at iHeartMedia dot com if you're looking for advice when it comes to big SUVs, cuvs, which is kind of a crossover utility vehicle, something smallish pickup trucks, mid size, full size. I just test your about thirty of those things, and I've got my thoughts which I kind of ran down. Eeds versus hybrids. Sam from Parland, Texas, just send me an email. Hybrid is the way to go. Hey Garf, if you were to buy a car today, what would you get? I personally would not get an EV Now again, I personally where But listen to my words a lot. Personally a dude in his fifties whose kids are moved out of the house, who lives alone, who sometimes just wants to hop in the car and drive to Dallas, drive to Austin. Hey, I don't want to stop and cards a vehicle and try to find a place to charge vehicle. I want to gas up and go. That's me somebody else. That's why when I you asked me a question, I generally skew a question several questions to get where you are in your life, so then I can provides you with the a good suggestion and for you some people evs, maybe maybe the way to go without a doubt. I told you Tesla. The Texas made Tesla's by the war. They stopped selling its cheapest version recently and there are number of different Teslas on the road. The Model three, the new unsubsidized minimum price for a Model three went up from thirty nine thousand to forty two thousand to five hundred. Okay, the Model three lined. It was it was refreshed. They refreshed the Model three line in the United States this past January. I did see the numbers for the third quarter today. They delivered four hundred and sixty two thousand vehicles between July and September, which which is an uptick in overall Tesla's. Tesla has been struggling with recalls this year, and most of those issues they were fixed with updates that were delivered over the air, which is pretty cool, you know, just just downloaded. But now it's gonna cost you a little bit more the cheap. I think there is one vehicle, one or two vehicles brand new on the market across the board in the United States that is under twenty thousand dollars. I think there's a Mitsubishi Lancer, and I maybe one or two others because obviously this is what I covered. But I remember when vehicles were so cheap and inexpensive because I grew up watching the prices right, and the price is right, always a new car if you guessed the price. I am so og that I remember when the price of a car and they didn't show you the digits, but it only had four digits, which means it was under ten thousand dollars. I remember the price of a car where the first digit started with a three. I am not kidding he again, I'm going back into the mid to late seventies when I was a little kid standing out from school, pretending I was sick because I wanted to watch the prices right. But it was three thousand something for a new car. Times of change, people, Times have changed. I now drive, I have driven cars that are quarter of a million dollars and I'm looking at the Monroney, you know, the sticker to review this costs more than not only my house, but my parents' house and probably three of my relatives' houses. Cambut, this is this is a vehicle. It's crazy. But I also saw that the baby Boomer generation, which I am not a baby boomer. I missed the baby Boomer generation by thirty four days. If you want to figure out how exact old I am. The baby generate is the wealthiest generation in the history of man, that wealthiest generation. I'm a gen xer, and I know you know these millennials now are the giny that gin he's adding what they call these They're making money so fast because all these influencers. But you got money. You got a quarter of a million dollars to spend on a car. I don't, which is why I like test driving them. Every single week I get a brand new Grard at desk drive, and then I got to give it up, which is good for you because well over sixty plus times a year, because sometimes I get more than one per week. I get to tell you what's going on. But that's the way I work. I do get computers, I do get laptops. I do get cell phones. I do get high definition TVs, clothing, bourbon travel. I am your consumer guy. Anything else, I'm here for you. We're gonna start winding up this thing. As we look at the clock, calum read, I do thank you for not only keeping this on the year, keeping this fun and freshed up, but also zipping this up, zipping the radio show up, and then putting it on our podcast, which you can find at I Heart Radio. You can also see all my car reviews on pretty much most all your popular hot casts from Spotify to Apple to Google. Just look for high tech texts at high dash t e h T e XA and college football weekend is off for me for Texas Longhorns next week the greatest rivalry in college football Texas OU. I will end this by saying it's three minutes till the top of the hour and OU still sucks because hook them Horns. That's how we roll Michael Bartils today and we do. Thank our sponsors from everybody from Victor Total Wireless, all the stories here in and around the Houston area, US coins and Jewelry, Campbell's Compounding Pharmacy. If you need pharmaceuticals, you can't go wrong going to Campbell's Compounding Pharmacy. Campbell'scompounding dot Com two locations in Houston and also astounds with a Z. They are the company who will create your own website. If you need SEO, contact them, tell them you heard them on my show. They redid my website, my search engine optimization, and they are great for all of us who've been a part of this high tech texting show. I do thank you for tuning in. My name is Garth and we will see you next week. Get is October and enjoy people, because right now my show is OVA.