Speaker 1: The Mandy Connell Show is sponsored by Bell and Pollock Accident and injury Lawyers.
Speaker 2: No, it's Mandy Connell and Connall, Kam god.
Speaker 3: Way and the Nicety through three Mandy Connell keeping no sad thing. Welcome, We welcome to a Wednesday edition of the show. I'm your host for the next three hours of Mandy Connall. The song is about my show. I'm joined, of course by my right hand man. I call him Anthony Rodriguez, you can call him a roder and we will take you right through three pm today. When we had the station over, uh, what's that called relay style? Wow, that was a senior moment there. Couldn't remember the word relay when runners hand the baton to anyway, Wasn't that good.
Speaker 4: Of a joke? Nelly didn't need to go all that was links on it anyway?
Speaker 5: Did that joke?
Speaker 4: Eh? Ah?
Speaker 3: You know, eh, we'll see, we shall see. So let's do the blog, shall we lesten to just jump bright in? Just jump right in today. You can find the blog by going to mandy'sblog dot com no apostrophe in that mandy'sblog dot com, look for the latest post section, and then look for the headline that says nine to five twenty four blog when will Congress get serious about spending?
Speaker 4: Click on that and here are the headlines you will find within.
Speaker 6: I don't listen in office half of American all the ships and clipments and say that's going to press.
Speaker 3: Pletch Today on the blog Weather Wednesday at twelve thirty, Congress kicks the spending can down the road. Gallup says political wins favorite Republicans. Sorry kids, Deep fakes are a protected speech. Aurora is making changes to public comment A or a PD has identified the men in the apartment video. How is Denver's median home price?
Speaker 5: Shame on?
Speaker 3: Tell your ride ski resort? Yes, veterans, the VA is trying to get you to sign.
Speaker 4: Up for benefits.
Speaker 3: Why is Denver jocking downtown businesses over dumb stuff? Douglas County passes a camping van. Cherry Creek is fundamentally changed. Argentina has Israel's back, Brett Farv has Parkinson's disease. Robert Reich is wrong about everything. Not to be a doubting Mandy, but consumer confidence took a dive. JT is coming to Denver. You need to understand inflation. A great explanation on the state of politics today, Zuckerberg says he's out of politics. More wolves killing, more cows. Three color Runner restaurants get named nationally. Want to try the viral Dubai chocolate bar. There will be a second ice Castle's location. This winter Delta has standards and why is this weird?
Speaker 4: This is nuts?
Speaker 3: Why companies are firing gen Z Charlie is making his last games, count Nolan on charge. And those are the headlines on the blog at mandy'sblog dot com. As you can see, I put a lot of news on the blog today, lots and lots and lots of news today. And uh, can I ask you a question? Ay, Rod, you walk? You regularly walk?
Speaker 4: Do you do other exercise?
Speaker 7: Absolutely? Actually, Right now we're ramping up a bit.
Speaker 6: We alternate between the elliptical and then the treadmont treadmill with an incline.
Speaker 4: Okay, do you lift weights or anything like that? No, you need to add that in.
Speaker 7: I don't want to, I don't need to. I feel good.
Speaker 4: Well, here's the thing.
Speaker 3: This is just me telling you at thirty something that everyone at thirty should be listening to from person who's now fifty five. Okay, the better you are when it comes to muscle mass in your body from this point forward, because from this point forward, your muscle mass is decreasing unless you are actively working to maintain.
Speaker 4: And even gain muscle mass.
Speaker 3: And as you get older, that whole process of just gaining muscle mass faster than you're losing muscle mass.
Speaker 4: It's really hard.
Speaker 6: Well, the lower half of my body has permanent muscle mass right from all the hockey that I played. No matter what I do, my calf muscles are always wicked cool and I want very strong now, but they could.
Speaker 4: Be stronger or whatever.
Speaker 3: And all of that stuff is all about keeping your knees healthy, keeping your back.
Speaker 6: Healthy, the elliptical, and definitely, I mean really in the treadmill. I always keep wanting to say, tread cliinb treadmill with the incline seems to keep my leg muscles like in good shape.
Speaker 7: But you know, yeah, I probably could use.
Speaker 6: A little extra something on the arms, maybe a little bit, you know, And even I'm on the treadmill.
Speaker 3: Just it's not it's not about like being you know, like mister World or something. I will tell you like what I know now at fifty five, if I had known it when I was thirty, probably would have done things differently, is all I'm saying, Yeah, you know so.
Speaker 4: But I was thinking today when.
Speaker 3: I was driving in, like, do you have exercises that you just despise, like you hate them?
Speaker 4: Because that is how I feel about push ups. We also just got a rower, really cool. We had to get rid of our rower to make room for our treadmilk one machine R.
Speaker 7: Three, So are three machines, elliptical, treadmill and the rower.
Speaker 5: All.
Speaker 4: I mean it's a cardio room hardcore, right, And.
Speaker 6: That's honestly, and that comes from plug Sta weight loss dot Com.
Speaker 7: That's where it kind of stemmed from.
Speaker 6: Because with their diet plan plus these exercises like they they they really press on that you don't lose muscle mass and I didn't and I still haven't. But keeping it going, is you Age is a different conversations.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, like laying the groundwork because the stronger your muscles are, the better your joints are, the better your back is, the.
Speaker 4: Better your neck is. All of these things, all of these foundational things have the wicked mass weights. You could even do just body weight stuff.
Speaker 3: I mean there there are calistenic workouts that will kick your behind that are just you and your body.
Speaker 4: You don't need weights for them. Yeah, red Beard work exactly that I was trying to figure out. I've been trying to overcome my dislike of push ups, and I was wondering if anybody had tips on that.
Speaker 7: Oh I like push ups. I also like that.
Speaker 4: Crunches, crunches. Yeah, I ad work and for me.
Speaker 7: Is like leg leg leg up album.
Speaker 4: You're talking about like doing a bicycle.
Speaker 6: Uh, well, you're laying on your back and your elbowing.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, that's a that's a bicycle. Okay, I stand the other leg out while you're bringing this leg in.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know what, you know what I might I might do that in the next work out. That feels good, I tell you.
Speaker 4: And core is incredibly important, incredibly.
Speaker 6: If you do it right and you're like, oh, so good, you do right. But I you know, I used to hate working out.
Speaker 4: I truly did. I hated I hated the whole thing. I dreaded it the whole time I was doing it. I was like, when is this going to be over? And then I just kept doing it, and I kept doing it, and I kept doing it. And now if I don't have some kind of exercise, I'm crabby or I.
Speaker 7: Have like a weird like anxiety.
Speaker 6: Now if I don't have my morning work, I just feel like there's like a lot of excess energy that just hasn't been like let go. Its like, ah, no, I need to go on run or something. Yeah, that's that's that's a good feeling when you like you need to work out that you have to do.
Speaker 3: Oh, this person, Mandy, I despise side planks. Not a fan, but I don't hate them.
Speaker 4: Wide plank and then holding out side planks you.
Speaker 6: Know, yeah, I know those are never doing, but regular planks, like you feel it, you start to feel the burn. You're like sixty seconds in the one hundred and twenty seconds and you're like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, let me give the text line out. We've got to give that.
Speaker 3: You can text us what exercises you hate to the koa common spirit to help text line. And the only reason I'm bringing this up is because I think everyone has the exercise you hate, right, And I've been trying. I've been trying to go at it like g Gordon Liddy style, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: You know the story about G.
Speaker 3: Gordon Liddy, you know, Okay, so g Gordon Liddy, who was all part of the Watergate situation. Shady dude worked in you know, just Cia stuff, just like a real spooky dude. And he was afraid of rats like he did not he did not like ratsy, you know. And he went into the sewer, caught a rat, killed it, cooked it, and ate it to overcome his fear of rats. Now, that could be an apocryphal story, like, but I've heard it a million times, so I'll you know, we'll see. I should probably look it on the internet. But I've been trying to do push up something and they're gonna get easier, right, They're gonna get easy.
Speaker 6: They don't get easier, They're pretty easy. I don't think there's any workout I hate. I mean, I prefer to not run.
Speaker 7: I like to run, but I'm not.
Speaker 5: I can't.
Speaker 4: I just physically cannot run it anymore. It's just not something I'm doing. Mandy. I hate push ups too.
Speaker 3: Once warmed up, I do those first to get it over with. That's kind of where I am now. So, uh, Mandy, I'm a physical therapist, and you are absolutely correct about resistance training critical for sustaining mobility and uh strength for a long quality of life.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm talking.
Speaker 6: Does the incline on the treadmill and the elliptical kind of count that at all?
Speaker 3: It feels like it you're you're getting some resistance, but you need uh what's called a closed circuit kind of exercise.
Speaker 4: How do I explain this where you're kind of where your feet are always on the ground.
Speaker 3: Even if you're just doing body weight squats and stuff like that, because it fires different muscles than when you're actively moving and taking one foot off the floria to.
Speaker 6: Tell well, my feet aren't moving on the elliptical like you're locked into those pedals.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I forgot what im That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: Sohy elliptical feels like that, like your feet are locked in and you're you're definitely getting that resistance like every single because.
Speaker 4: Your feet go with the I don't know, I don't know if how that how that feels damn good? So I don't know.
Speaker 3: I hate ungees, says this texter. I used to eight lunges, but they've gotten easier for me.
Speaker 7: Wunders are kind of dumb.
Speaker 4: Why no, they're not.
Speaker 7: They don't feel like they do anything for me. Anyone and add some weight.
Speaker 3: Put thirty pounds in each hand and then do lunges and trust me, you'll feel it. Mandy, I have these handle things that I use when doing push ups so my palms.
Speaker 4: Don't have to be flat on the floor. I have these.
Speaker 3: Uh, you'll never want to do push ups again without that. We've tried them. Are they the spinny things? The perfect push up thing?
Speaker 5: We have?
Speaker 8: Though?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I can't.
Speaker 4: I can't know. It's not working for me.
Speaker 3: Exercises. I hate any involved movement. Okay, you're funny there, Texter. Eight count bodybuilders from my military day?
Speaker 4: Is that from here? I don't know what those are? Eric, Oh, this one.
Speaker 3: My favorite is the twelve ounce curl. I also enjoy that.
Speaker 6: Our our sinness groom, Michelle Zelner, has weighed in any incline. The trimble does not count way overused on quadrust ups, leaving a major imbalance with your hamstrings.
Speaker 4: Okay, I like it anyway, Michellete.
Speaker 7: Damn good. Okay.
Speaker 4: A lot of people saying burpies, and I'm with you. I refuse. I just got a burpie. It's not a thing that I do.
Speaker 3: I'll do an inch worm, which is a much slower version of a burpie, but.
Speaker 4: That burpie is not a thing that I do. They're too easy to hurt yourself. I mean, unless you have really incredibly good.
Speaker 3: Knowledge of having all of the muscles in your body tight when you kick those legs back, it's a recipe for disaster. I absolutely hate push ups. Yes, I started with twelve push ups a day, says this texter. I'm up to one thirty, So a rod, should we start doing pushups? Like right before the show, we'll start doing push ups. We'll start with like ten, Can you do ten push ups?
Speaker 7: Can I do ten? They can be like fifty?
Speaker 4: Well, okay, you cannot do fifty push ups?
Speaker 7: Again, I think, didn't we have the fitness test, remember.
Speaker 4: But I don't remember how many push ups?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no for that, No, for the mobility test, there was like tenships in that there was ten.
Speaker 7: It was not ten.
Speaker 4: It was ten.
Speaker 7: It was more than ten, definitely more than ten.
Speaker 9: It was ten.
Speaker 7: I was more than ten.
Speaker 6: I can confidently say I could firm perfect form thirty thirty five. I get stretched to fifty. But those last fifteen are probably little arched, a little, not great.
Speaker 3: I like, over the course of my workout today, I probably did fifty, but not at one time.
Speaker 4: And I just hate them, just hate them.
Speaker 3: Burpies suck. That is like all over the text line because they do Mandy.
Speaker 4: I hate pull ups.
Speaker 3: I have shoulder issues, but even after Regen rev, I don't do them or can't do them. Only weights I use or adjustable dumbbells. Everything else's body weight. It works, it does work.
Speaker 7: How much weight you have to use in the weights for it to be effective, And I never know the answer to this is one of.
Speaker 3: Those things where you start light and then you work up every every workout, you could add five pounds, okay, and then when you hit a place where you can't cant you to do ten reps at whatever weight that is, maybe you can only do six reps.
Speaker 4: You keep that weight until you can do ten reps and then you move to the next problem.
Speaker 7: I'm a way too frequent of a wayer.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And water weight, I.
Speaker 6: Mean, especially when you're having those little baby muscle terrors when you're doing two money weights, it like throws off my weigh ins and then I hate it and I'm like Oh no.
Speaker 10: I'm gaining too much.
Speaker 4: Wait, no, that's just me being sore. Right, It's a problem. It's a problem, It's a real problem.
Speaker 6: Eh.
Speaker 4: I love this text, Mandy. My favorite g Gordon Liddy stories.
Speaker 3: He used to hold his hand over a lit candle as a party trick and people would ask him what the trick to do that was. His response was not caring about the pain. That is a very g Gordon Lyddy answer. No, Mandy, I like reverse lunches.
Speaker 4: Also follow Caroline Gervin's YouTube workouts. Never heard of her.
Speaker 3: I'm a triathlete and these are perfect along with yoga. You try athlete people, you're all just showing off. Look at how super athletic I am. I don't just do one sport three on the same day.
Speaker 11: Are you really living if you're not running up red rocks every single boarding here in Colorado? Oh you know, I did a fourteen or yesterday? So why don't you just pound the sand?
Speaker 5: Guy?
Speaker 11: You don't get in before you em and going to run? Are you really a colorading exactly?
Speaker 4: I don't know one has to be.
Speaker 5: Like that here.
Speaker 3: Oh well, Mandy, I started last April with five push ups. Now I'm up to three sets of thirty push ups in the morning and three sets of thirty push ups.
Speaker 7: At night, like thirty seconds of resting in between each set.
Speaker 3: I won't skip a day because I do feel off. I also lost twenty pounds from April till now.
Speaker 4: All right, that's were all good, really.
Speaker 7: Good, well done, keep it going.
Speaker 2: Umm.
Speaker 3: I can't think if there's anything else, Mandy, lightweight high reps is good for toning, for cutting heavyweights, low reps for bulking.
Speaker 4: That's right, But you don't want to hurt you wanna You're not looking to bulk, You're just looking to you know.
Speaker 3: Uh, you can do lightweight with high repetitions or you could do heavyweight with low repetitions.
Speaker 7: For Okay, now, so I want to go more weight, more more reps, less weights.
Speaker 6: No, I will tell you the other for you. Well, the bulky you just said is heavier weight less reps, heavier.
Speaker 4: Weight less rep That's what I would tell you to do because you want to build strength.
Speaker 7: But you said that, I said you said that said bulks. No, you said that bulks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you're not going to get You're not going to get huge. You're not going to get huge huge anyway, Now, am I able to send you a picture of those?
Speaker 4: I don't know what those is, but.
Speaker 3: You can email it to Mandy at Kway NewsRadio dot com or Mandy Connell at iHeartMedia dot com. I'm trying to use that address now. I have like thirty email addresses. You do Mandy Connell at iHeartMedia dot com.
Speaker 7: I just have Mandy which everyone comes up, I send you stuff to.
Speaker 5: There you go.
Speaker 3: It all comes to the same email address. Do one more push up than the day before. Six days a week, take Sundays off. In a couple months, you're doing one hundred a day.
Speaker 6: That applies a lot in for me any kind of workout, like do a smidge more than the day before.
Speaker 4: Yep, in the day before. That's my life model.
Speaker 6: When do you peak then? Whendn't you say you know no? I think I don't need to add more. You know I've done enough.
Speaker 7: When do you say that? I When do you max out?
Speaker 6: I think that?
Speaker 3: Don't you set like a goal? I mean, don't you say I'm going to do fifty push ups? I think whatever number you set right out of the shoot is going to indicate kind of your level of commitment. Because if you say, like this person, I'm going to get up to do one hundred push ups a day, that's my goal. You're going to get to one hundred push.
Speaker 4: Ups a day, yep.
Speaker 3: But if you set your goal with fifty push ups a day, you're going to get to fifty push ups today. So set your goal, make it a lofty one. I don't want to do one hundred push ups today because I hate them.
Speaker 4: No, it brings us back to the beginning of this story for whatever reason. I mean, I can do anything else.
Speaker 3: I don't like some other exercise. I don't like tricep dips. All got big triceps. Now it's kind of cool.
Speaker 7: I kind of want to take my headphones off and do do a plank right now?
Speaker 5: How long?
Speaker 4: Okay, we've got how many time? How long until we have to bring?
Speaker 7: Oh well, I'm not gonna do for four minutes.
Speaker 4: Well that's why I asked you. How long we had until we had to bring Yeah, we have three and a half minutes.
Speaker 3: Okay, you're get a plank for two minutes.
Speaker 7: Well, just tell me how long I want a plank grind out?
Speaker 4: You want to do it?
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll tell you when to go here, go ahead, assume the position. He's gonna have to figure that out. Turn your mic off so you can hear me. Are you ready? Okay, and go okay. He's down now, and we'll just let him do that for two minutes while I talk. My favorite exercise is flip flopping love Kamala Harris.
Speaker 4: That's very funny. Text her, Mandy.
Speaker 3: I'm a runner who's had several injuries and starting a twenty minute yoga flow every day. My injuries have disappeared. Hips and knees are thriving now. Yoga is a miracle drug. I do believe that Mandy doing one hundred pushups is not good for your joints. Twelve to twenty five is doable if done properly. Mandy can't run trying to avoid the knee replacement, trying to do the peloton two to three times a week, six to ten miles a ride.
Speaker 4: Okay. I don't like riding a bike either. I don't love it. I never have. Even when I was a kid, kids were like, hey, let's go ride bikes. I'm like, you know, I'll just grab a skateboard. It'll be fine, Uh, Mandy.
Speaker 3: People who never skip a day of exercise are mentally off. What would the purpose be of going for a job when it's six inches of and six degrees and snowing outside, other than being able to tell people that you did it?
Speaker 4: Now, I used to believe that text, but.
Speaker 3: Now I have to have some kind of movement in my day or I'm just kind of cranky, A little bit cranky over there, that's all. So now I get it, Mandy even better than the lunges Genufleck to borrow a religious term, we call those curtsy lunges. And currently I am reh having a knee injury, so I cannot Curtsey lunch. Somebody said, now I know why neither of you were in the military. No willpower. Yeah, that's probably why I didn't join the military voluntarily, because you know what, you were so close?
Speaker 4: You made one forty five one?
Speaker 7: No, I looked up, it was twenty three thirty was my car?
Speaker 4: Twenty three forty five is when you went down?
Speaker 7: No, I felt like two minutes.
Speaker 6: No, it was no.
Speaker 4: I felt good. I'm glad you did that. I already did my workout today. I'm good.
Speaker 7: Fine, I just did it too.
Speaker 4: Fer Oh, listen to this off topic text.
Speaker 3: My wife counted twenty two expired license plates on our way home from work last night. One was dated twenty twenty two. Well, hopefully some of those people are going to get some tickets.
Speaker 7: Man the core, the core oohoo sounds good.
Speaker 4: Uh, Mandy, try a rower. I love a rower, but my husband does not.
Speaker 3: So we had a rower, and I hope the people who bought it from you are enjoying it. But we gotta have treadmill, which I actually love having a treadmill, especially when winter is coming up, and it's a really good treadmill.
Speaker 4: So I'm kind of excited about that. Anyway. So when we get back, we're gonna actually do some stuff on the show today.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I just squandered the entire first segment, but this is what's on my mind. And now seeing the text line, everyone hates some kind of exercise, so there you go. Uh, this is funny, Mandy. I don't really, I really just don't like working out in the morning. I get no value from it. I can work out in the evening and then I'll sleep like a baby. That's hilarious because by the evening time, zero percent chance that's happening in my household. I am an early riser, Get up, work out, get it out of my day and be done with it. Hey, but you know what, this is what makes the world go round. Viva a different my friends. We'll be right back, joined by our friend and a smart weather guy, Dave Frasier from Box thirty one.
Speaker 5: Hello Dave, Hey, good afternoon.
Speaker 8: I really enjoyed the Richard Simmons segment at.
Speaker 5: The top of the show.
Speaker 4: But you know what exercise do you? A, Dave? Everybody has one.
Speaker 8: Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of the comedian Johnannette, Like you said, guy talks all about food and exercise.
Speaker 5: I have not.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna have to go look him up.
Speaker 8: Check out Jumping at He's fantastic and he first life tried to lose weight and he hider trainer and the trainer said we're going to start with some push ups and some sit ups. And he stopped and he said, listen, I don't do ups, I.
Speaker 5: Do down.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 5: Then there's my exercise routine.
Speaker 4: Okay, no problem then, So I just want to say a big fat thank you. This weather right now is spectacular. How long do we get to keep this.
Speaker 8: For the next week. The seven day forecast, even I could extend that out to ten days, shows us staying dry. We just don't see any pattern shifts coming. It is a little warm. We're running about ten degrees above normal, and it is still possible that tomorrow and maybe on Sunday, we could reach ninety again, which isn't the latest we've seen a ninety degree temperature, but it's certainly something most people don't want to deal with. But I've been stressing the last few days. While those temperatures are very warm for this time of the year and it has been dry, the reality is it's not like summer heat, right because you're loving it because you go into the evenings and it just cools down so quickly, and the organizer are so refreshing. So that's the benefit of September, all right.
Speaker 3: I have a question from a listener that texts in a little bit, Mandy. Can you ask Dave Frasier about weather conditions that create jet contrails. Some days there are lots of them, other days not so much.
Speaker 8: It just has to do with the moisture in the high upper atmosphere. So when we have a day, let's take today for instance, if you have a day like today and it's completely sunning outside and you're looking up, I mean there's nothing but blue skies overhead. The air over us right now is extremely dry. So the number of jets going in and out of DIA flying over Colorado the same today as they were yesterday. If you add in moisture at higher levels, then the contrails will become more visual and evidence. So it's just a matter of moisture in the atmosphere, and right now we're just too dry for that. So I mean, look up at the sky. You know there's planes out there, no evidence that they're flying around. But if we seed a little higher humidity into the higher atmosphere, the contrails, the pressurization of the jet kind of condensing the moisture in the air, then you can see the streets in the sky. So just not the setup we have mass. It's all about moisture, Okay.
Speaker 4: So I wanted to ask you.
Speaker 3: We've got Hurricane Helene barreling towards the Gulf coast of Florida, and you know it's going to hit my friends in my hometown, not directly, but they're going to have a lot of rain and wind. This hurricane season has been far quieter than was anticipated, far quieter.
Speaker 5: Yep, yep.
Speaker 8: Yeah. As a matter of fact, I mean only the sixth hurricane, and it's going to be the second one for that area. I don't know if you'll remember Debbie hit back there in the Big Bend area of Florida on August fifth of this year, so they haven't had much of a break there in the Panhandle. Debbie was only a Category one when it came ashore near Tallahassee, and it caused a lot of damage related to flooding, and then it kind of went kind across Georgia and went back into the Atlantic before turning back into the Carolinas. This one's going to be stronger. We're talking about potentially a Category three hurricane. So the wines are going to be you know, up past one hundred and ten to maybe one hundred and thirty, so you're going to have more wind component, you are going to have a low line flying from heavy rain, but also from the storm surge that rise in water that comes ashore. They're also warning of rip currents, dangerous rip currents because the storm's coming in perpendicular to the coast. And so the waves will be curling away from the coast. Of course, that's only an issue if people go into the water, and they will Gridians, Yeah, they will.
Speaker 4: There will be people that will go into the water. I can tell you that now.
Speaker 9: I know.
Speaker 8: It's just amazing. You see these waves in its category two or three, and there they are. I was just kind of taking advantage of the syrup. So category three.
Speaker 4: Can can do is extremely destructive.
Speaker 3: I moved to Southwest Florida right after Hurricane Charlie, which was a Category three when it made landfall at Puntagoda, Florida. And when you drove down I seventy five, the eye of the storm had tracked directly over I seventy five after it came in off of the coastline, and on one side of I seventy five, all of the you know those giant light poles they have on an interstate, they're massive. All of the trees on the on the one side were flattened in one direction, and all of the trees and light poles on the other side were flattened in the opposite direction.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, it was crazy.
Speaker 4: I mean it was like what just happened here? Because you know it was. It was really it destroyed that entire part of Florida.
Speaker 3: But it's rebuilds even better, So there you go. You never know, Pudza Borda wasn't exactly nice before this.
Speaker 8: This area's been hard hit. I mean Adelia back in August of twenty twenty three, and then you had hurricanes hit that same area in twenty sixteen, seventeen, and eighteen. So that part of the country, as you're well aware, it just doesn't get a break. And so this one will also bring heavy rain. Some of the heaviest rain will be on the northwest side of the storm, which is typical, and that's going to drive heavy rain as much as a foot up towards Atlanta not even have urbanized flooding. Yeah, it can be just a huge problem for those folks as well. So and you know, I did you mentioned that it's been a little quiet. I'm no hurricane expert, having you know, forecast most of my career inland, but I've been reading some published papers and stuff, and one of the compounding factors they believe is Saharan dust. There's a lot more of it in the upper atmosphere drifting over the Atlantic and not allowing the war to warm to the levels that they had expected. So the forecast for the hurricane season has been reduced a couple of times because of that. The number of hurricanes and the number of main storms, and the number of major storms. A Category three would be a major storm.
Speaker 4: Oh that's a major storm.
Speaker 3: That's a I would not I'll stick around through a Cat too, but I will not stick around through a Cat three because it's it's incredibly destructive and it's going to be incredibly destructive when it lands. So I got one more question from a listener. I want to get in before we go here. Can the direction of the wind preceding a thunderstorm predict the direction the storm is moving? And this is like, okay, so I am south of here, and when the storms are coming from the north, the wind.
Speaker 4: Is whipping up from the south. So does that mean that the wind is what pulling it? How does that work?
Speaker 8: So no, it's not going to tell you the direction it's moving. The direction the storms are going to move is based on the mid level winds that are pushing them along. They can also form on a cold punch, so they'll line up along the could front and march.
Speaker 6: As a team.
Speaker 8: But generally what you have is you have a giant vacuum. So the wind ahead of the storm is being sucked in. So as the storm is approaching you, the wind is probably going to come from you to the storm, so it's drawing the wind up. So depending on your location, that wind could be coming in from an easterly direction or a southeasterly direction. As the storm passes, you can get a cold outflow and the wind will go in the opposite direction. We track out clothed boundaries all the time, so the wind within the individual thunderstorm is going to be erratic. It's going to be sucking in ahead of it and potentially blowing out behind it, and those directions are going to change. But the overall movement of the thunderstorms is going to be driven by generally a southwesterly wind, So storms will migrate from southwest to northeast in most instances, not always the case, and can always get what we call a backdoor cold front, so it's not always indicative of which way the storm is going to move, all right.
Speaker 3: Dave Rasier, another informative we need to announced what our weather is going to be like, I guess we kind of brushed on a little bit talking about how nice it is, so no big one coming up, is what you're saying.
Speaker 8: Yeah, no, you know, a rob was asking me about Halloween. Any chance it's going to be nasty?
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 8: The outlook for October still looks warm and drier than normal. That's been the pattern through September. Our first breeze is usually the seventh of the month of October. We just don't see that happening. Our first know is the eighteenth. I think that's a stretch this year, so you just may have to wait for a little more of the fault. Whether we enjoyed this past weekend.
Speaker 4: All right, Dave Fraser, we'll talk to you next week, my friend.
Speaker 8: Thanks Manny, No, thank you.
Speaker 4: We will be right back.
Speaker 3: California Governor Gavin Newsom is making a fool of himself by trying to limit political speech. I'll explain. In California, a new law has been signed into being. It is set to take effect immediately. This new law makes it illegal to create and publish deep fakes related to elections.
Speaker 4: Hang on, one second, got to pop up there? That just popped up.
Speaker 3: It is illegal to create and publish deep fakes related to elections one hundred and twenty days before election day and.
Speaker 4: Sixty days thereafter.
Speaker 3: It also allows courts to stop distribution of the materials and impose civil penalties.
Speaker 4: This is comical.
Speaker 3: The First Amendment doesn't exist to protect your right to watch pornography.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's been interpreted that way, but.
Speaker 3: That's not why the founding fathers thought that it was important to let everybody know you had the right to free speech in the United States of America when they drafted up the Bill of Rights.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's right there in the first one. Like that to me says we think this one's kind of important.
Speaker 3: But the speech they were protecting was political speech, and like it or not, deep fakes and the production thereof is political speech. So any limits that are trying to keep it out, well, that would be like saying, you know what, you can't air any commercials for one hundred and twenty days before an election. Nope, you can't do it. It's as nine. This will be struck down one hundred percent. And I would imagine that there's probably organizations that are trying to be the first that faces penalties so they can be the one to take the Supreme Court and have it struck down. Now, if California wants to say something along the lines of deep fakes must be identified as deep fakes during this time of the election or whatever, you know, you could make an argument there, just like you have to disclose who pays for political advertising. You could make those same kind of declarations necessary. But when I saw this, I was like, what the Democrats are becoming increasingly hostile to free speech because they want to control it all and never have to answer for anything that they might find unpleasant. And rather than just doing what everybody is supposed to do, which is answer bad speech with good speech, they.
Speaker 4: Want to shut it all down.
Speaker 3: And as you recall, they want to shut down things like the origins of COVID, they want to shut down the Hunter by the laptop.
Speaker 4: I wonder why.
Speaker 3: It's very specific the things they want to shut down. And now we have more and more Democrats. AOC has come out and said something to the effect of this free speech business has to be rained in.
Speaker 4: She didn't say it like that, but she's done it. Kind of life.
Speaker 1: You know that.
Speaker 3: Nancy Pelosi has aired now said we have to do something about misinformation and disinformation. The problem is is that we don't get to know who's deciding what is misinformation or disinformation. As we saw on the last election cycle when it's partisans, the information that its censored is very specifically helpful to one side of the aisle. So no, no, Gavin Newsom. And by the way, Elon Musk, it must be. The only reason I would ever want to be like Elon Musk rich is because I actually, how rich do you think you have.
Speaker 4: To be before?
Speaker 3: You just have what you view as few money and you're basically like, oh, yeah, Gavin Newsom, here's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna encourage people to post deep fake videos of you on x come and get me like, how rich do you have to be? Because that's few money right there? Jk Rowling in her stance against the transiting of our children, she has few money. She doesn't need another dime, and she'll be just fine for the rest of her life and the rest of her children's lives.
Speaker 4: Right So, Elon Musk has few money. That's the only reason I would want to be that rich.
Speaker 3: Seems like there's a lot of annoying pressure that comes along with that kind of money and you can't just kind of live, well, you could live under the radar. The Walton's kind of live under the radar, I guess. Yeah, So that's gonna be fun to watch, and we'll see exactly when they try to bring it to Colorado, because yeah, I'm sure that'll happen sooner or later when we get back. Public comment has gotten out of control and now Aurora is taking steps to rein it back in.
Speaker 4: I'll explain after this.
Speaker 1: The Mandy Connell Show is sponsored by Belle and Pollock accident and injury lawyers.
Speaker 5: No, it's Mandy Connell.
Speaker 4: And Connam got.
Speaker 2: Snynal keying sad thing.
Speaker 4: Well, welcome, Welcome to the second hour of the show.
Speaker 3: You know, at some points in your future a ride. We need to dip our toe into this Diddy story.
Speaker 4: Because I just saw a Twitter thread.
Speaker 3: I don't want to get into it now because I got a bunch of other stuff I want to talk about.
Speaker 4: But some of has gathered up a bunch of photographs of which celebrities were at did these parties, and it is a who's who.
Speaker 7: It's starting to seem like no one's safe.
Speaker 4: Well, this certainly goes.
Speaker 3: A long way towards, in my mind, validating the stories that have been told by people like Corey Feldman and about being abused as children in the industry, and you know, the sort of salaciousness that we all expect. I have long said that I think if you're a parent who is moving your kid to Hollywood to pursue a career in Hollywood when they are children.
Speaker 4: You are not a good parent for variety of reasons. You're just not.
Speaker 3: Famous, so corrupting, so corrupting, especially for kids that don't understand otherwise.
Speaker 4: Anyway, let me get back to what's local.
Speaker 3: The Aurora City Council has been dealing with a few issues when it comes to public comment, and I am of the mindset about public comment where I think it is incredibly important. And yet I've now watched enough and I'm not talking about Aurora. I'm just talking about in general city council, county commission meetings to know that a vast majority of the time, the people who need to hear what is.
Speaker 4: Being said are generally not paying attention.
Speaker 3: Anyway, not to say that it shouldn't happen, but there has to be a level of decorum that is observed.
Speaker 4: Otherwise the meetings go on forever.
Speaker 3: And nobody was ever convinced by having a bunch of people standing in a room yelling at them. You know, maybe they capitulate, but they're not convinced. And yet in Aurra, two things have been happening. Number One, they have allowed comment when they are because they stream all the meetings, so they've allowed comment to come in via phone or online as part of the meetings. And now people hiding behind handsets are calling in and making disparaging race and anti LGBTQ comments during the meetings. And so in order to prevent that, they are no longer going to allow remote commentary.
Speaker 4: And if people have trouble.
Speaker 3: Making it to the meeting, then they could ask someone else if they would go make a statement on their behalf. The second thing is that they are no longer going to allow people to sign up for the meetings like three hours in advance. Why is that Because Taitae Anderson has been leading protests over the death death of Killing Lewis at pretty much every meeting.
Speaker 4: They're yelling they're carrying on killing Lewis's mother, Ronda.
Speaker 3: James has been making public comment during every public comment period from.
Speaker 4: Her home in Georgia. She will no longer be allowed to do that.
Speaker 3: So they're trying to they're trying to allow public comment, but they're trying to make it less easy for bad actors to hog the entire period by signing up early when other people can't get there. So it's sad, really that it's come to this. And you can make the argument that if you know, if we have a truly free society, then the white supremacist guy should be able to yell whatever he wants in a city council meeting, but that's not generally how it's worked. And as far as the protests go, I mean, you know, again, no one has ever been swayed by people standing and yelling in your face.
Speaker 4: That's just not an effective strategy in my mind. So that's what's happening in Aurora.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 3: Another thing update in Aurora. I am actually seeing this in the New York Post. I didn't look to see if they covered it locally here on any of the networks.
Speaker 4: From the New York Post.
Speaker 3: Police and Aurora, Colorado have charged three suspects from a viral video that showed heavily armed men breaking into an apartment, a clip that made the Denver suburb a byword for the spread of migrant crime.
Speaker 4: One of the men has now admitted that.
Speaker 3: He's a member of the violent Venezuelan gang Arragua, federal law enforcement sources told the Post. Despite local cops saying none of the men were connected to the gang, Dee Freit surpa Acosta, twenty years old, fessed up during an interview with immigration authorities that he was asked if he had any gang affiliation by immigration officers and has trend to Agua's signature crown tattoos to prove it.
Speaker 4: So weird, so weird. Now, all three of these criminals have lengthy rap sheets. They've been in and.
Speaker 3: Out of the country multiple times, and so we'll see what happens. I'm sure they're going to be deported and I'm sure are gonna come right back over the southern border again. So that's just a fun.
Speaker 4: Story about a gang member. What we know is a gang member, and the.
Speaker 3: Fact that he was in those apartments that some people said had been taken over by gang members, I'm sure it's not connected. Sure it's completely a coincidence, and that no other gang members were in that apartment.
Speaker 12: Gun.
Speaker 3: None, none of those other guys with guns. Nope, not gang members, just people you know, going dove hunting or something. A couple more local stories that I want to get to that are just kind of things that I thought were interesting but not worthy of spending a ton of time on. One of them is that Douglas County has now approved a camping dand with a fine of up to one thousand dollars for each violation. Now, as a Douglas County resident, I can tell you I do not believe we have a single encampment in Douglas County. Maybe there are some somewhere, I'm not sure, but I'm happy that Douglas County is being proactive in this and creating penalties and dissweding people. And the program that they have in Douglas County called handouts don't help urge people not to give handouts at intersections, but to donate to the organizations that do the outreach programs in Douglas County to help people who are on the fringes or even living on the streets.
Speaker 4: So there you go.
Speaker 3: Douglas County now has a camping van, just like Denver does. By the way, just like Denver does, and we all know how.
Speaker 4: Successful that has been in Denver.
Speaker 3: Well, last story, and I wanted to throw this in here because when I go to Cherry Creek, do you ever go to Cherry Creek anymore times?
Speaker 9: You know?
Speaker 4: Every so often I will go to Cherry Creek because.
Speaker 3: There's restaurants down there that I really like, and sometimes I want to go to the fancy mall on occasion. I never buy anything in the fancy mall, but sometimes I like to look and see what people who do buy things that.
Speaker 4: The fancy mall are buying.
Speaker 3: And the reason I don't go more is because traffic sucks. And now you've got to pay for parking at the mall.
Speaker 4: You can valet at a lot of the restaurants, which is extremely convenient, but a lot.
Speaker 3: Of those side street places they've got no parking and it's just not fun to go down there and try and find parking. Well, it is about to get really interesting in Cherry Creek for the time being because Denver City Council unanimously approved rezoning the west side of the Cherry Creek Shopping Center and it is gonna have a thirteen.
Speaker 4: Acre mixed use community known as Cherry Creek West.
Speaker 3: So the projected build out could take a decade, and the development as it's presented right now would deliver one point six million square feet of offices and apartments on the site. And obviously housing would be great, and the project would be entirely served with underground parking.
Speaker 4: That is the only upside here, underground parking.
Speaker 3: So residents obviously not happy about this, and it's very high density, which is not you know, what Cherry Creek normally does. But Cherry Creek, unlike Downtown Denver, a lot of the businesses that left Downtown Denver moved to Cherry Creek, so they don't have a ton of vacancies for office space and things of that nature in Cherry Creek.
Speaker 4: So it makes sense that they'd want to build something like this.
Speaker 3: But I feel like this is going to fundamentally change But I you know, I don't know, maybe Cherry Creek has had these big swings that I mean, when the Cherry Creek Mall was built, any of you guys that were living here when the Cherry Creek Mall was built, that probably was incredibly disruptive as well. So I'm just wondering. I'd love to know five six, six nine. Oh, if you live in Cherry Creek, love to know how you feel about it. But if you go to Cherry Creek, is this a positive or you know?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Hey, Mandy, if you want to learn Spanish, you should go to the flat Urns Mall and Broomfield on the weekends.
Speaker 4: Broomfield is so far from me.
Speaker 3: Broomfield is like you should just say, Mandy, you should drive Awayoming. That's how it feels to drive to Broomfield so far. Elways is closing there because of that. Yes, indeedy they are, they are. There was a Fox News story.
Speaker 4: About Douglas County and the lack of homelessness. Well, Douglas County, we've had a few here and there, you know that stand by the roadways and beg for money. I just I don't think people give them money. So yeah, who decides? Who decides? Well, jeeves? Shootoot, shoot shoot. That's not what I wanted to read at all.
Speaker 3: This person about the city council meetings, similar to a Worris City council meetings. Council Colorado Springs courtrooms have had a rash of recent video conference hearings that were interrupted by some bad actors hacking into the meeting and showing porn. Oh that's fantastic. That's that's not good.
Speaker 4: We've all gotten a little too comfortable with these online meetings. I actually like it.
Speaker 10: I love it.
Speaker 3: I love an online meeting. I still don't have a nice background when I'm at home.
Speaker 4: My background is still terrible. Maybe I should just get like a curtain, a rod, just like a curtain and then draw some stuff on it. Or I could steal old.
Speaker 3: Thing from Woody page and just do a chalkboard behind me, you know what, different drawings every time I'm doing.
Speaker 4: Anyway, we have a couple of things on the ballot.
Speaker 3: That we're gonna be talking about. By the way, Ross and I were talking this morning, I think we're gonna do a voter Guy collapse this year, so you can see what both of us think in one place. Now, for the most part, Ross and I completely agree on a vast majority of our selections, but our rationale to get there could be a little bit different. So I think we're going to do a collaboration on our voter guide. But hopefully we'll have that out like Monday, because ballot drop at the beginning of October. Mandy, I won't go north of Landmark living in Parker. Have moved everything to the Springs Support Air Force Sports, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo.
Speaker 4: Et cetera.
Speaker 3: It just feels much safer and then Denver and the drive is easier. So yeah, I'm kind of with you, kind of with you on Matt. I live in Cherry Creek. There's a lot of construction going on, but we figured it out. Still like living here. This project's going to be pretty big and pretty disruptive, although I'm guessing much like when they do downtown, they can confine it to that area.
Speaker 4: I don't know, Mandy.
Speaker 3: I feel like I need to take my passport to the outlet mall off I twenty five and one hundred and thirty sixth Avenue. I just had an experience in a Walmart where I could not find a single Walmart employee that spoke English, and I was like, you know, not for nothing. I'm now not going to buy anything that I came in here to get because no one can help me find it.
Speaker 4: No one are you learning any Spanish being married to your Spanish speaking wife.
Speaker 6: I'm always trying yeah, always attempting poquito, poquito, pekito.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because that would have been nice because I had nothing and they felt bad. But I was like, yeah, I need help and no one can help me. That's fine, Absolutely fine. One more story about Denver Real Quick Denver's median home price and how it compares internationally now or not internationally, that's silly. Nationally, the annual income buyers needed to afford a house fell for the first time since twenty twenty, driven by the first annual decline and mortgage rates in three years. Now, in order to afford a typical home nationwide, you would have to earn one hundred and fifteen four hundred and fifty four per year. That's down one point four percent since last year. But what does it look like in Denver. Well, the report ranked Denver twelfth among the fifty most populous metro areas in the country. When it comes to housing affordability. The median home price is five hundred and eighty six thousand dollars. That means the median is different than the average. Okay, the median is half the houses sold.
Speaker 4: In Denver are more than that.
Speaker 3: Half the houses sold in the metro are less than that, So that's the middle price, the median home price. The income here to afford a median priced home is one fifty two five thirty seven. The median household income in Denver is one oh nine seven to seventy one. And that's why Denver feels unaffordable for a lot of people. Mandy can't shop at the Walmart? Why can't I shop at the Walmart?
Speaker 4: What's wrong with the Walmart?
Speaker 3: Don't go hating on Walmart, Mandy, A great background is one of the folding Asian style screens.
Speaker 4: Oh, that would be good. That'd be really good.
Speaker 3: Do you know if Douglas County can compel a homeless person to pay the one thousand dollars fine if they're only income is social Security? I'm guessing that they can compel them. But whether or not you can get blood from a stone, I don't know. Let's see underground parking next to Cherry Creek prone to flooding. Also believe some of that area used to be a dump, like an actual dump. A Rod, Google, did Cherry Creek in Denver used to be a dump? Look that up for me, Mandy A Rod not to worry. Then married to my wife for fifteen years, and she knows zero Spanish. I am fluently bilingual.
Speaker 4: Here we go.
Speaker 6: Make sure this is Cherry Creek in Colorado on second, because it looks like that's true. Because of flooding, the area around the creek, Cherry Creek was unsuitable for most uses and became the city dump shut on. The original Cherry Creek Shopping Center was built on the former dump by Denver architect developer Temple hoin Buell in nineteen forty nine. This from Cherry Creek East dot org.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's fantastic. That's so ironic. In the mall is built on a dump.
Speaker 6: Yeah, in nineteen eighty four, the Cherry Creek Steering Community blah bla, Oh that's nothing related, never mind.
Speaker 7: But yeah, there you go.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 6: The redevelopment of the Cherry Creek Shopping Center into the Cherry Creek Mall that you see today was completed in nineteen ninety.
Speaker 7: Wow, built on the built on the former dump in forty nine.
Speaker 4: That's actually really cool.
Speaker 6: Like like I said, because they had no choice because like with the flooding, it was unsuitable for really anything else other than being a dump.
Speaker 4: That's fantastic. I don't know why I like that so much.
Speaker 3: It's almost like it's almost like a Cinderella story, this crappy piece of land, nothing could go there except a dump.
Speaker 4: And then after the dump gets fulled up with everybody's garbage, what can we do with it?
Speaker 3: We can make it into a beautiful, sparkling shopping center with all the fence and clothing and brands in it.
Speaker 4: It's the Cinderella Story of the ages. Yes, it was a dump.
Speaker 3: We're getting a lot of confirmation on the text line that you didn't know. The original Cherry Creek shopping center of late nineteen forties was considered to be the most innovative design.
Speaker 4: Ever, how do you guys know this?
Speaker 3: The Walmart near me has closed all the self checkout lanes and usually only have two or three checkout lanes open with a real live persons working in them.
Speaker 4: Maybe they can build that big landfill east of town there, lol, Haha. Let's see here. Apparently you can use the Walmart app and find stuff in the.
Speaker 7: Store one hundred percent actual.
Speaker 4: Well, what if I don't know exactly what it's called.
Speaker 6: Uh, you can roughly type in like the the thing you're looking for, not specifically like the brand name right like, it'll give you a rough idea of where things are.
Speaker 7: Use it all, right, here.
Speaker 4: We go anyway.
Speaker 3: Oh, here's a question totally unrelated, but I'm gonna read it. Hey, Mandy, this is an email. We're headed to Denver for our first time from Louisville. Can you give me an area to stay in a few moss places to see? I've been given recommendations to stay away from downtown the Dairy Block and oh, the Dairy Block and helseyon where two we're highly recommended. Ideally I'd like to see Myleheigh Stadium red rocks and capture a snapshot of the vibe. We'll be driving from Crested Butte and we'll be staying in Denver for two nights. Miss you on whas here And I know her mom too, Lorie Elkins. So if we're not going to stay in downtown, where do you stay? I don't know hotels? I know the hotels downtown.
Speaker 7: Hmmm, I don't have.
Speaker 6: Like specific like hotel, but in terms of location, no pressure. Probably just north out.
Speaker 4: Of Denver, like more like around like just a little like south of Thornton. There's some nice.
Speaker 7: Places you can probably stay.
Speaker 6: I would suggest, you know, really every other suburb really isn't somewhere to write home about terms to stay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking if they want to go to Red Rocks, maybe something out west there. We got to get that together. Got to get it together for LORI help her come out and have a great time. Isn't it sad that people are like, yeah, void downtown. Isn't that just sad because we have some great hotels downtown. I love, love, love the hotel Tautro. It is great hotel, she said, the stadium. So we'll find we'll figure it out.
Speaker 4: What world it is?
Speaker 7: Probably not somewhere you want to go.
Speaker 4: No, we're not going to send it to Broto. Okay, let's take a time out. When we get back.
Speaker 3: We have a story about Tell You Ride Ski Resort and if I could give them the mom look right now and be like, I am so disappointed in you when you hear what they did, and honestly, oh, this is such a dumb pr move. I'll share with that next Tell Your Ride Ski Resort. You guys talk about a self inflicted wound. First of all, I had no idea Tell your Ride is one of the ski towns. I have not been to Tell Your Ride yet. Have you ever been there a rod Tell You Ride Colorado?
Speaker 7: I haven't been since I was a child.
Speaker 3: It's part of the state that I have not made it to yet. I haven't gone to, like Paonia and Montrose and like the whole area. I've been to Crested Butte haven't been to the Four Corners either. So I've got places to go in Colorado still. But Tell Your Ride just gave themselves a black eye over something that I have to believe could not have been costing them very much money. For as long as any of the locals can remember, the Tell Your Ride Ski Resort.
Speaker 4: Has been giving.
Speaker 3: People local citizens who turn eighty or older free ski passes.
Speaker 4: So this has been like something that people.
Speaker 3: Who live and Tell Your Ride get all excited about because they're like, Oh, when I turn eighty, I can get my free ski pass a to Tell You Ride Ski Resort. And then the Tell You Ride Ski Resort just said we're not doing it anymore, And I'm thinking to myself, how many people on a daily basis. First of all, you know they're probably skiing in the middle of the week, right, So how many people over eighty actually even live in Tell Your Ride And out of those eighty, how many of them actually ski on a regular enough basis to create a burden for the Tell your Ride Ski resort to not want to give out these free passes anymore.
Speaker 4: Now. The only thing, and this is I thought about this this morning. I was like, what, who decided to make this change? And why in the world?
Speaker 3: Why would they make this change when I just laid out the reasons why it cannot be costing them. It's not like the slopes are overrun with eighty five year olds from Tell Your Ride that are skiing free, right, That's not happening.
Speaker 4: The only thing I can think of, and I bet you this is it.
Speaker 3: By the way, Fox thirty one reached out to the scale Tell your Ride Ski Resort to ask why the change was made.
Speaker 4: They have not heard back yet. My guess is because a lawyer got involved, and I just have this feeling that it went something like this.
Speaker 3: You know, I mean, people over eighty are far more likely to break something if they fall on the mountain, and here we are encouraging them to continue skiing after they are an age where many people of that age start to deal with, you know, bones that aren't as strong, bodies that aren't as strong.
Speaker 4: I bet you as a lawyer, and I'm not one of those. We bot hate lawyers. My dad used to be a lawyer.
Speaker 7: I get it.
Speaker 4: But why in the world, Oh, tell your ride was bought by Veil Corp. What do you expect? Yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep.
Speaker 3: Somebody took umbrage a rod with our conversation about people driving around without their license plates. Oh, somebody said, I don't know, the text is long gone, but it said something.
Speaker 4: The effect of why don't you use just mind your own business?
Speaker 3: And I was like, well, see, it's it's about being a good citizen. And when you are a good citizen and you're paying the dumb ass taxes that we have to pay to get our cars registered, and then you see all these other people that are not being good citizens and not paying their dumb ass taxes to get their car registered.
Speaker 4: It's annoying.
Speaker 3: Because it details a disrespect of their civic responsibility.
Speaker 4: And I hate it. I hate gigantic registration fees.
Speaker 3: I think it's stupid, especially because se dot is squandering all that money on dumbass ways to get us out of our cars.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, I don't care.
Speaker 3: And so I said back, it's about being a good citizen, and this person said, minding your.
Speaker 4: Own business is being a good citizen.
Speaker 3: Except whose role is it to encourage others by shaming them on the radio to do the right thing and be a good citizen.
Speaker 4: I'm just asking, Mandy, have you been to the Swiss Alps of Colorado? You r ridge? Yodel a he who I knew exactly exactly what you were doing there, yodeler Uh, Mandy.
Speaker 3: They're probably worried about being sued for injuries. Exactly right, exactly, Mandy. I think everyone and Tell You're Right is rich. Yeah, but people can be house rich and cash poor. If you've lived in tel You're right for forty years in the same house, you are house.
Speaker 4: Rich, and you could be cash poor. You could be cash rich too. I don't know, Mandy.
Speaker 3: I don't think Tell your Right has been bought by Veil Resorts. They do have a marketing agreement with them on the full epic pass, because otherwise Fox would have just reached out to Veil Resorts. You're right, Texter, Thank you for the clarification, Mandy, what do you think the percentage of those expired.
Speaker 4: Plates are that do not have insurance? Well, it's my.
Speaker 3: Understanding that if you don't have an up to date registration, you cannot buy auto insurance. It's our business if you don't have valid plates on you're on the roadway, fair Point, Texter, fair Point, Mandy. Does the state DMV charge the a fee if they register their vehicle after the prescribed date? Yes, you were supposed to pay the difference from whenever you are supposed to register the car to the point where you register the car. So if you waited a year or two years, you have to pay the registration fees for those two years. But I think and I don't know who told me this, but I think they are they're able to waive those fees.
Speaker 4: But I don't know what the I don't know what the situation is there, Mandy.
Speaker 3: Why are there so many postal trucks without license plates? My guess is is maybe they were stolen, because if I'm looking to steal a license plate to slap on another car, well, they should have fleet vehicle for license plates.
Speaker 4: Though I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know the answer to that question. I got a bunch of postal workers though. Is that a postal thing or is that just where are the license plates going?
Speaker 5: Five?
Speaker 4: Six six nine oh? Text me the answer, Mandy.
Speaker 3: I wish there was a monthly penalty after your plates expire. Problem solved there is You're one hundred percent?
Speaker 4: Is true, Mandy? Not true of the on the plates.
Speaker 3: The worst ones are the exotic car owners. I call my friends out all the time, like they're just not getting their plates. What not true on the plates? Which part?
Speaker 4: What are you talking about? Clarify?
Speaker 3: If I see a car with no license plate, I assume they have no insurance. I stay far away. I will never park to somebody with an unregistered plate or no plate. That's from the Texter.
Speaker 4: I live in a Uror. I see twenty five or thirty unregistered cars every day. UM wow, you guys, the license plate thing is now going off on the text line. Obviously we hit a nerve.
Speaker 3: And I'm right when you see people not doing their civic responsibility and you start to feel like a sucker, right, you're like, what hey, Rod said it the other day, Why am I doing this? Why am I doing the right thing? When everybody else is doing the wrong thing. Well, I'll tell you why, because you're a person of good character. Anyway, Fees are twenty five bucks a month, says this texture until one hundred dollars max.
Speaker 4: Don't ask me how I know there will be no follow up questions.
Speaker 3: SEETA just gave the town of Frasiery two hundred and fifty thousand dollars grant for a bike park.
Speaker 4: As Highway forty through town disintegrates. Yep, yep, yep.
Speaker 3: I see a lot of fancy new BMW's or Lexus with expired plates.
Speaker 4: Well they should be pulled over and given a ticket.
Speaker 3: Perfectly fine with that. I don't think anybody gets you know, come on, so yeah, oh boy, yeah, a lot of you unhappy, Mandy. Are they enforcing expired tags, etc. To clean the place up before Trump gets here, like cleaning San Francisco.
Speaker 4: I can assure you.
Speaker 3: That a vast majority of the government here in the Colorado Denver metro area does not give a rats.
Speaker 4: Ask what Donald Trump sees when he comes here.
Speaker 3: If he comes here, Mandy, I watched a person remove a temporary plate and replace it with another temporary plate.
Speaker 4: Hey, in their.
Speaker 3: Defense, when I got my car. It took so long for the Department of Motor Vehicles to send me my new plate. I had to get a new temporary plate. So there are reasons for that are that are not the driver's fault. Mandy Aspen Highlands and snowmass used to have a free pass for eighty year olds. My father in law kept skiing until he got his pass.
Speaker 4: He didn't ski one more day. All he wanted was his pass. Oh, that's kind of cute, kind of sad.
Speaker 3: I pay more for uninsured motorists in six months than I used to pay for total.
Speaker 4: Liability in a year. Sad, But for true, if you don't.
Speaker 3: Have uninsured motorists coverage, you could find yourself screwed.
Speaker 4: So get it today. We'll be right back.
Speaker 3: We were looking for Mark Zuckerberg to lead the way when it came to politics. Well, after doing something and you know, Mark Zuckerberg seems like a decent egg, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: He seems like he would be a decent human.
Speaker 3: He's a nerd who has made billions of dollars with Facebook and Meta and everything else. But last election cycle he stepped up with his Zuckerbucks. I can't remember the name of the actual organization. It was part of his foundation where they gave UH grants and the purpose was to give grants to any voting district that needed it to help mitigate the effects of COVID and ensure that people could come and vote safely. A bunch of Democrat cities took him up on it. No Republicans took him up on it, and a.
Speaker 4: Lot of people said, look, those Zuckerbucks they were used to cheat.
Speaker 3: Well, I think this is just wild speculation on my part because I can't read into his mind or has sold. But he strikes me as the sort there was, Like, dude, I was trying to help, and now I'm being accused of all of these things because none of the Republican cities took me up on it.
Speaker 4: So he has now said he's done, He's out no more.
Speaker 3: He's been complaining to fellow billionaires.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they all have meetings. Did you guys know this.
Speaker 3: The Allen and Company conference? They call it summer camp for billionaires? Aer Did you get your invitation to the Allen and Company conference?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 4: I haven't. I haven't yet. Did mine get lost? Did you see it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: Wellingess to this year.
Speaker 3: Maybe we'll just hold our fingers crossed for next year. But apparently Mark Zuckerberg has been complaining to people about the blowback that came from him doing things with his philanthropy, and he has now admitted that he is He's got a bunch of employees that are trying to push him further to the left, and he's done. He now has decided he's like, look, I'm a classical liberal.
Speaker 4: And he's just not going to participate anymore. So what does this mean for Facebook?
Speaker 3: Because Facebook was very active in censoring information during the last election cycle, and it is uh, I just want to know what that means for Facebook.
Speaker 4: Listen to this from this New York Times article.
Speaker 3: Privately, mister Zuckerberg now considers his personal politics to be more like libertarianism or classical liberalism, according to people who have spoken.
Speaker 4: With him recently.
Speaker 3: That includes a hostility to regulation that restricts business and embrace the free markets and globalism, and an openness to social justice reforms, but only if it stops short of what he considers far left progressivism. And mister Zuckerberg and his wife, doctor Priscilla Chan have been privately aghast about what they see as the rise of anti Semitism on college campuses, including their alma mater, Harvard.
Speaker 4: Does that to you? Does anybody else like hear that? And go?
Speaker 3: Did Mark Zuckerberg get red pilled? Because it kind of seems like maybe he did. Now he hasn't changed sides. Okay, we're not gonna go crazy here, but he's this. This is significant when you've got one of the richest guys in the world saying I'm out. You know, that's a big deal for politicians. Kamala Harris's campaign just got a big fat cash infusion from Silicon Valley and the tech bros. Now, I'm gonna tell you, I think there's a lot of these guys that just march lockstep with whatever the prevailing wind is. And if the prevailing wind shifts and people start to see the big dogs Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerberg dipping out and saying no man or even better, and I mean this even better in a political sense, not good for the country sense, because sometimes those things aren't necessarily immediately the same. If Kamala Harris gets re elected and she manages to raise taxes on everyone rich, those tech pros, they're gonna have a much different perspective in.
Speaker 4: The next election cycle about Democrats. So fingers crossed Kammally can.
Speaker 3: Get it done if she gets elected, not fingers.
Speaker 4: That she gets elected. To be clear, I just want to make sure that no one thinks I said that.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 3: Coming up at the next hour, I have a bunch of stories for the two minute blog two minute drill rather, and then I've got a bunch of stories for us to talk about after that. If you have not looked at the blog today, I have some really good videos. One is an old video by Milton Friedman that I put on the blog today because he did this at the end of the nineteen seventies when inflation was much higher than.
Speaker 4: It is now.
Speaker 3: But he explains where where inflation comes from. And if you have anyone in your life who's like one of those people who's like the inflation is because of corpet greed. This is really written at like a fifth grade level. So you should watch that video with your friends. And in this next hour we're going to get into a piece by doctor Thomas Krana Winner, who is on Ross's show with some regularity. This is on the blog, and if you have to try and explain why people like Donald Trump.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, you need to go click through on this thread and read it. Today. We're going to do the two minute trill when we get back.
Speaker 1: The Mandy Connell Show is sponsored by Belle and Pollock Accident and Injury Lawyers.
Speaker 5: No, it's Mandy Connell.
Speaker 2: Mayn on kla Am.
Speaker 13: Ninetym got wanna say the nicty three many Connell keeping the real sad thing.
Speaker 5: The two minute drill at two. Hey, we're gonna go to two minute warnings rapid fire stories of the day that we don't have more time for play check. Let's call this so it will take longer than two minutes.
Speaker 4: Are are you out?
Speaker 5: Here's Mandy connall Ah.
Speaker 4: You guys.
Speaker 3: You may have heard or seen the breathless headlines shots fired into Kamala Harris campaign headquarters, but then you read this story and don't get me wrong, I think this is stupid.
Speaker 4: Whoever did it?
Speaker 3: It's just an AS nine thing to do and there's no place for any of this. But the shots fired were from a baby gun. It was like the middle of the night when no one.
Speaker 4: Was there, and it just left little holes in the plate glass window.
Speaker 3: So can we stop acting like she has now survived her own assassination attempt because someone idiot shot at her building.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm not saying that someone didn't do it. I'm just saying, let's put it in its proper perspective, which is not important at all. I guess that's really all I have to say about that.
Speaker 5: Drill it too.
Speaker 3: So consumer confidence is a survey of how people think the economy is actually doing, and the Conference Sports Consumer Confidence Index fell almost seven points in September, the biggest monthly droped since September of twenty twenty one.
Speaker 4: Now why does this matter?
Speaker 1: It is?
Speaker 3: It matters because these are consumers that are surveyed, and consumers are feeling like things are not going quite as well. About thirty one percent of consumers said jobs were plentiful. That's down two points from August. The share who said jobs were hard to get jumped up one point five points to eighteen point three percent in August as well. Concerns about inflation haven't really totally supplanted by job market worries, yet consumers pointing out that inflation had receded, So that's good, the Conference Sport said, write in responses about election concerns remain below those seen ahead of the twenty twenty and twenty sixteen elections. So people are worried about the economy, which is not good news because people often vote on their own personal economy in the elections. Well, it's not good if you're the incumbent, which is Vice President Harris Drill it too. He is bringing sexy back, and I guess his arrest in the Hampton will not ruin the tour, as he told police. Justin Timberlake will be performing at Paul Arena on January twenty eighth, and I am going to this show because I want to see Justin Timberlake.
Speaker 4: I bet he's great in concert. You go see JT, would you?
Speaker 6: I'm pretty sour from that super Bowl performance years back?
Speaker 7: Not great?
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, wait a minute, the Janet Jackson super Bowl performance.
Speaker 7: No, no, he had the he had the next one. Didn't he perform? Hang on one second, Timberlake super Bowl?
Speaker 4: I mean the one that came Jackson is the one that I read No.
Speaker 6: No, no, no, no, twenty eighteen, twenty eighteen, and he was not good, not good, not good.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, maybe I'll go see Justin Timberlake. Whatever, never mind, forget I did the whole story. Fine, I'm sorry, you can bring right down.
Speaker 4: Fine, drill it too bad news. Retired NFL quarterback Brett Farve.
Speaker 3: Says he has Parkinson's disease and doesn't take a big leap to think that Parkinson's disease, which is a disease that affects your brain and is kind of a in the variety of wasting diseases. We just lost a friend to this disease fairly recently, and it's not a fun way to go out.
Speaker 4: It is a very challenging.
Speaker 3: Disease, and for a guy like Brett Farr, who has spent his whole life as an athlete, I'm guessing this could be really miserable. I'm hoping that he does as well as Oh my gosh, Oh my gosh, he was in Back to the Future Marty McFly.
Speaker 7: Oh uh, oh god, I go to a fox.
Speaker 3: Yes, Oh wow, that was the sweating thing right there. I couldn't get that. But best wishes to Brett Farr. You know the girl that he was involved with, well, he wasn't involved with. He was sending the unwanted messages to that was working for the Jets sideline. She sent out some really nasty commentary about this, like basically, isn't karma bitch? And I thought, that is not a flattering look, lady, not a flattering look at all.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, Jen, Yeah whatever.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just thought, you know what, Sometimes I grew up in the South, where if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.
Speaker 4: Maybe she should have done that instead.
Speaker 3: It too really good story in the Westwood Westward right now about downtown businesses who are struggling to stay open under endless construction, who are now being hassled by the City of Denver's Community Planning and Development Office for their signage. This is just another example of why government sucks. If you can't give these businesses a break, well, their entire lives are being disrupted by all the crap you're doing to downtown. This is why people hate government. In one fell swoop and one last story for veterans right now, if you get a text message saying, hey, this is the VA, you may qualify from benefits. It is not a scam now, just to be sure, you can hang up and call the VA. But they're actually doing outreach to veterans, you may qualify for benefits.
Speaker 4: That they are not getting. This is new for the VA, which usually does all in its power to keep people from getting the benefits their own. Check it out.
Speaker 3: I've got that link to the story in the Denver Post as well. And have you heard about the Dubai Chocolate Bar. It is a chocolate bar with this dessert that they have in the Middle East that is made up of shredded filo dough and pistachio cream and then it's covered with chocolate and I want this so bad. And now there are three places in Colorado that are doing a knockoff version. So if you like me, if you like me have wanted to try this thing since you saw it on social media, absolutely now you can find it at Reem's Bakery I know where that one is, Colorado Cocoa Pod, which is an online bakery, and then Conw's Corner Cafe on twenty ninth Avenue in Denver. So these are expensive. Don't be thinking that you're gonna just go get one and it's going to be like, you know, a five bucks or whatever.
Speaker 4: They're like twenty bucks. But they are really, really, really challenging to make thank you, ay Rod.
Speaker 3: According to some users on social media, some Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory locations are said to carry the Dubai chocolate bar, but the Denver Gazette could not find it. A representative of Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory explained that the businesses are individually operated franchisees, so call ahead and check to see if location near you has it. I will have a full report after I have it. We're gonna take a quick time out. Okay, now I can take a break.
Speaker 4: He used to be a former.
Speaker 3: White House while he is a former White House OMB Chief Economists, that's the Office of Management and Budget Chief Economists. Doctor Van Skin joining me at two thirty. We haven't talked about the fact that Congress just passed a continuing resolution because they refuse to do what their job is and that has pass.
Speaker 4: Different budgets for different departments.
Speaker 3: So we get another continuous resolution that keeps spending going until the end of December.
Speaker 4: Does anybody really think.
Speaker 3: They're going to pass twelve budget bills by the end of December. No, they're not, which means we'll get another omnibus spending bill which is going to be chock full of pork and deficits spending. So we're going to talk to him in just a few minutes. I want to dip into this Gallop.
Speaker 4: Poll real quick. We see a lot of polls like, Oh, you're.
Speaker 3: Gonna vote for Kamala Harris, You're gonna vote for Donald Trump, and people are not necessarily looking at the underlying sort of mood of the country. And Gallup has so Gallup measures the president. They call it the presidential election environment.
Speaker 4: Now lately they're looking at things.
Speaker 3: That are in relationship to past presidential election outcomes, and they have a whole list of things, things like party identification and leaning, prey better able to handle most important problems, US satisfaction, economic confidence, party better able to keep America prosperous, presidential job approval, party favorable ratings, party better able to keep America safe from international threats, preference for government activity, and in all of those categories, Republicans are leading Democrats according to Gallup. So when it comes to party identification and leaning, forty eight percent currently lean Republican and are Republican forty five percent Democratic are lean Democratic party better able to handle the most important problem. The Republican party is viewed at forty six percent, the Democratic Party forty.
Speaker 4: One percent.
Speaker 3: US satisfaction twenty two percent satisfied.
Speaker 4: That's not a good number.
Speaker 3: Economic confidence a minus twenty eight index score. Party better able to keep America prosperous Democrats forty four percent, Republicans fifty percent. Presidential job approval thirty nine percent. That modes well for Republicans party favorable ratings.
Speaker 4: I was kind of shocked by this, you guys. The Republican Party is at forty three percent approval, Democratic Party forty two percent approval.
Speaker 3: Party better able to keep America safe from international threats, and this is not even close. Republican Party fifty four percent, Democratic Party forty percent preference for government activity fifty five percent say do less, only forty one percent say do more. And that, of course is good for Republicans. Congressional job approval twenty percent approval. Obviously, no one is going to find that helpful at all. So these numbers are kind of and this is from September third to the fifteenth, so you're seeing polls about the election, but then you're seeing what people really believe, and one has to wonder will people's visceral hatred of Donald Trump overwhelm the things that they normally vote on. If that answer is yes, then Kamala Harris wins. But if that answer is no, then Donald Trump, I think, gets another term. But of course I'm a terrible prognosticator, so don't ask me who's.
Speaker 4: Going to win.
Speaker 3: When we get back, we are going to talk about something that I believe should be at the center of every campaign and yet it isn't, and that is the national debt.
Speaker 4: We'll do that next.
Speaker 3: Doctor Van skin he's an economist and a smart guy, and he's as annoyed as I am that once again Congress has completely abdicated their responsibility to pass budget bills and have just passed another continuing resolution.
Speaker 4: Fans, welcome to the show.
Speaker 7: Hi many, it's a pleasure with you.
Speaker 10: Thank you for having me on. And I am just as upset about the deficit spending as you.
Speaker 3: Now, what is your background? Give my listeners a little bit of window of who you are.
Speaker 10: Vance Yeah, so I worked at the Trump White House.
Speaker 12: I was the chief economist for the Office of Management and Budget for about a year from June twenty nineteen and May of twenty twenty. I've also worked with a lot of state think tanks and national think tanks across the country, and do a lot.
Speaker 10: Of other work.
Speaker 12: I also have a podcast called let pul Prosper where I talk a lot about these key important issues about fiscal budgeting and monetary policy and a whole bunch of other issues.
Speaker 3: So, vance if you were part of the Trump administration, then I'm gonna ask you a pointed question, because for me, that was a big area of disappointment, and COVID threw everything into chaos, so we don't know what would have happened had his economic policies been allowed to unfold.
Speaker 4: In a natural way. So I'm gonna concede that point.
Speaker 3: But spending in the Trump administration, even before COVID was well beyond what I thought it should have been. Is there any hope that in another Trump administration we're going to see And I'm not asking to speak for the Trump campaign, by the way, I'm not doing that, But what are your thoughts about the level of seriousness that debt and deficit spending are seen in that administration?
Speaker 12: Well, I also share your concern about how much was being spent during the Trump of years. Of course, it was Congress that spent passes the budgets, but the president could have vetoed.
Speaker 10: Them and done more to do that, and we were trying to behind the scenes.
Speaker 12: We were trying to push it to have lower spending at the end of the day, and you're right, COVID blew that out of the water even more with trillions of dollars, and then Biden administration came in and put that spending on steroids. So we've run up of another twelve trillion dollars or so the last four plus years as massive, and we're spending at trillion dollars just on that interest payments on the debt alone.
Speaker 10: It's just ridiculous.
Speaker 12: And so one of the things that I'm still concerned about, though, to your point, Mandy, is that the president hasn't taught much about the budget. I mean, during that last presidential debate or even the first one, I don't even think spending was mentioned at all.
Speaker 10: Nor the depsits were mentioned.
Speaker 5: It at all.
Speaker 12: And this is a huge concern for me that I talk a lot about and I know you do too as well. So this is something we've got to get control over, and it's both parties. I mean, this is a bipartisan spending crisis is the way I like to put it. That's been happening for decades now, and we've got to get under control. There are a few, you know, that are out there that will talk a good game, and I think are trying to do good things. Center Rand Paul had his six penny plan, which is basically cut six percent over the next few years and balance the budget, but that was rejected today. At the same time, they're spending in the cr bill more and more. So it's a massive spending problem.
Speaker 3: Ran Paul I lived in Kentucky for three years and I'm a huge Rand Paul fan, along with Congressman Thomas Massey, who has been very vocally opposed to the continuing resolutions that we're seeing.
Speaker 8: Why.
Speaker 4: I mean, we're just going to have.
Speaker 3: To get to a debt crisis situation before anybody in Congress takes so seriously. That's what I'm afraid of. And what does that look for look like for the American people.
Speaker 12: Well, unfortunately, I think we're seeing a lot of that now. We saw higher interest rates, right, the interest rates soward. That's a big part of what you see during a debt crisis. We saw inflation soar because the Federal Reserve printed a lot of that money. I mean their balance. She went from four trillion to nine trillion. It's still seven trillion. It's way too high. You know, the Federal Reserve cut interest rates by fifty basis points last week, and I think that.
Speaker 10: Was a mistake.
Speaker 12: I think we're going to fall into the same traps we did during the nineteen seventies whenever they cut interest rates too fast and inflation shot up again. And now we have even a worse situation because you know, Congress is overspending more than they were back then, and so this is going to lead more to increases and ammunition for the Federal Reserve to print money, increase inflation in the economy. And so I'm very concerned about a debt crisis. And the spending crisis is happening now. A lot of people will blame it on the Trump tax cuts and other revenue issues, but it's not a revenue problem. This is clearly a spending problem. And I think what we've got to do is cut spending today and then strain the growth of spending over time. If we do that, we could find a better path forward.
Speaker 10: Not only for the spending situation, but for the economy.
Speaker 12: Because all this deficits and debt really matters also to main street and on the economy because interest rates are soaring and people can't afford homes and things that nature. This is a major problem that's driven by Washington DC.
Speaker 3: I have the video on the blog today by Milton Friedman from like the late seventies, maybe nineteen eighty. I'm not sure exactly what the ear is, but he does this kind of like walk through on inflation, and it's really at a fifth grade level.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's why I put it on the blog.
Speaker 3: I'm like, if you have somebody who doesn't understand this, But what it comes down to what we're seeing right now and we've seen since, especially since COVID, is that the Federal Reserve is enabling the federal government's spending by continuing to print money and buying treasury bonds. So they are if the Fed doesn't keep printing money, then no one's going to buy those treasury bonds, and the federal government cannot continue spending.
Speaker 4: Even though the Federal Reserve is supposed to be a non you know.
Speaker 3: It's supposed to be a non political entity. So people need to understand that we flooded the money supply. We flooded the country with money. We flooded all the markets with money from the FED, and that's why we are now paying the invisible tax that is inflation.
Speaker 4: And too many people do not make that connection.
Speaker 3: And it's super frustrating when I hear people say it's corporate greed, it's you know, it's whatever. And Milton Friedman actually uses the example of it's not union wages, you know, because people will blame it on union wages driving Those are a lagging indicator instead of leaking and e leading indicator. So in your in your podcast one are the kind of things that you explain when it comes to because my big thing is this, somebody texts me. We have a text line and they say things like, you know, back in the nineteen fifties, we had the highest tax rates on the one percent and we had prosperity. But what really happened in the nineteen fifties is the government contracted all that spending from World War Two and the economy roared. Why is that lesson loss?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it's a great point.
Speaker 10: And Milton Freeman is my favorite economist.
Speaker 12: So I watch a lot of his youtubes and I talk a lot about these things on my podcast like you Will Prosper Show and try to break it down as simply as possible, because you're right. I mean, the inflation is an inflation tax.
Speaker 10: We all feel it.
Speaker 12: That the crisis that's out there on spending, we're all feeling it through higher interest rates today and everything else.
Speaker 10: And so when people I think we've lost.
Speaker 12: Sight of how good we have it in some sense today, and some people want to go back to the nineteen fifties or something else. But there's a lot of things that I think America gets right today. The problem is is in Washington, DC, they don't understand that's definicit spending really matters, and it grows the size of government, which which removes our liberty.
Speaker 10: The government has no money. Nothing is free, and so they take it from.
Speaker 12: Us, out of the productive private sector, to redistribute it to someone else. That's all the government spending is. It's not some candy and sort of logic to where the government can stimulate the economy and grow in a certain area is no. What they do is they take it from person a and give it to person B and there's no growth in the economy. In fact, it reduces the economy because it reduces the productive purposes that are happening before they tried to redistribute that money. So I think, you know, Milton Freema was exactly right. Too much money chasing too few goods is what inflation is. And what we see in the last especially four years, is a lot of increasing the money supply driving demand, and then high regulations at high tax and high spending that have stifled the supply side of the economy and contributed to massive amount of inflation. And this is why I think we have an issue to where whether it's Harris or Trump right now, there could be more inflationary pressures because neither one of them were talking about spending.
Speaker 3: No, no, and both of them, you know, I hesitate to call them dumb ass ideas, but they've figed out some real dumb ass ideas, both of them. I mean, the Trump Terriff situation is not good for consumers. Harris is trying to give away more money, but only the people she chooses, and she, I guess, announced another no interest small business loan program that if you've never if you've ever dealt with government loan programs like the SBA. You already know how cumbersome they are. Neither of these people are blazing a trail on economics. So what does what does an average citizen do?
Speaker 12: What do you do if you're worried about this, like I am, yeah, oh man, I've been kind of pulling my hair out because you know, one day with Trump will talk about, well, we're gonna exempt taxes and Social Security.
Speaker 10: Then we're gonna exempt taxes on tips.
Speaker 12: And the more that you narrow the tax base, the higher that the rates are otherwise going to be, or we're gonna's gonna run massive deficits. Instead, we should have the broadest base possible with the lowest rates, and hopefully a flat income tax rate is ultimately what we need and cut government spending in the process. But until then, I think, you know, there's gonna be a lot more economic uncertainty. I've been writing a lot about this at American's for Tax Reform and American Institute for Economic Research, saying that the economic concertainty that's being brought forth by both of these campaigns, Even though I do think that the Trump campaign is having a little bit more pro growth policies course than the Harris administration.
Speaker 10: They're both leading to more economic uncertainty. And I'm a free trade guy. I debated this a lot with Peter Navarro and others within the White House. They didn't see it my way.
Speaker 12: The presidents didn't see my way. But I really think that free trade is the way that we will pressure China to change their habits. By putting tariffs on them and everything else, it doesn't change their ways because they're a communist country.
Speaker 5: They don't care.
Speaker 7: About their people.
Speaker 12: But if you start, if you start changing the dynamics of other trading partners, now, that influences them because that reduces their power. And I'm hopeful that would be the way we go. But unfortunately we're talking about tariffs all the time.
Speaker 10: Well.
Speaker 3: I do think that in some ways Trump has a very sort of nineteen fifties view of American manufacturing, right, and I genuinely think he believes we can be the leader in the world in manufacturing. But the reality is is that our standard of living is very high now, right, And that's good, that's great.
Speaker 4: That we have a high standard of living.
Speaker 3: So it makes it very difficult, difficult to compete with places that don't like China, like Mexico, like developing economies where they can make things much cheaper than they can make them here because they pay people forty bucks a month.
Speaker 4: So I mean, how is there a way?
Speaker 5: Though?
Speaker 3: I mean, this is something that I think is something that needs to be addressed, and that is, how do you ensure that the United States in an emergency situation can get things done?
Speaker 4: How do we build new aircraft carriers? How do we make steal how do we.
Speaker 3: Protect those things that protect our ability to defend ourselves?
Speaker 4: This is totally off the beaten track.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I'm asking you stuff outside your wheelhouse here.
Speaker 7: No, No, it's fine, it's fine.
Speaker 12: These are all national security type threats, right, and that I think are legitimate concerns that should be addressed. And one of the things that I like to point out is that when we point our fingers at someone else like China, we've got three more fingers pointing back at ourselves.
Speaker 10: There's more that we should be doing in America to.
Speaker 12: Reduce the cost of business instead of just blaming other countries, like reducing the corporate income tax rate. Trump has talked about reducing it to fifteen percent. I would like for it to be zero percent, because businesses don't play pay taxes. People do through the form of higher prices, lower wages, and fewer jobs. We also should be reducing regulations.
Speaker 10: There's a lot of.
Speaker 12: Hoops that we've got to jump jump through in order to get stilled to the market. There's a lot of jump hoops that were going to jump through to get food to the market, and so much more that if we remove those obstacles, we may to be much more competitive and wouldn't have to blame other countries. And one thing I like to note too about manufacturing is that where we're reaching manufacturing highs and output, it's just that the employment has declined over time. And that's not just because of China and other countries through trade. A lot of it was through automation, which has made our lives better along the way. Not to say if there wasn't a cost to those people losing their jobs, but there were other jobs that were created in the process, and we had cheaper products that we should you know, consumers really like as well.
Speaker 10: So there's a lot of factors that go into this.
Speaker 3: One of the things I think people forget is that trade free trade. It increases the buying power of people on the lower ends of the socioeconomic spectrum a lot, not a little, a lot. So when you're talking about the sad part, that is, people are going to lose jobs, right, but there are other people, a larger group of people that are going to benefit quite a bit by having that ability to buy something that.
Speaker 4: They want at a very low price.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's it sounds like we're not making progress, but it feel like more people are talking about the debt and deficit.
Speaker 4: But honestly, and I hate to say.
Speaker 3: This, vance I don't trust Republicans to care about it after the election anymore. I feel like all the grown ups in the room have left on this issue. Am I too pessimistic?
Speaker 10: I don't think so. I'm concerned about it as well.
Speaker 12: You know, I'm hoping hopefully they will see the writing on the wall and say, hey, you know what, we've got to start doing something different.
Speaker 10: But we've seen we I mean, this problem has been around for a long time.
Speaker 12: We've had Republics in Congress where they had the majority in the House and the Senate, and a Republican president and the deficit continue to go up or at least running a deficit overall.
Speaker 10: And you know, part of it is is that I you know, one of the concerns I have.
Speaker 12: With some Republicans is that they'll say, well, the tax cuts will pay for themselves over time. And there's some truth to that in the sense that I believe in incentives.
Speaker 10: And that people work more and will get more output and everything else. That's good.
Speaker 12: But in the short run, there will be deficits if you continue to spend like drunken sailors.
Speaker 10: And that's what they end up doing.
Speaker 12: And this populism is really a problem from the new Right to where they want to give a lot of handouts and spending and tax cuts.
Speaker 10: Some of them even want to raise taxes. And the number one thing you don't want to do.
Speaker 12: To bring down a deficit is to raise taxes, because then you slow economic growth. What we really need is more economic growth, about a full percentage point more than what we're having now two and a half percent. Get it up to three and a half percent, and let's rein in government spending. If you did that and had spending one percent, we could balance the budget.
Speaker 4: In eight years.
Speaker 5: That's too long. In my view, i'd love.
Speaker 10: To see the budget cut. We don't have to cut anything, just slow the growth and you can have it balanced with eight ears.
Speaker 4: The sad thing is viance.
Speaker 3: You mentioned Rand Paul's sixpenny plan. It was the one penny plan the first time he put it up. If they had just passed it, then we would be having balanced budgets and we'd be working our way through the national debt. And now it's the sixpenny plan.
Speaker 5: Amen.
Speaker 4: Vance Gin is my guest.
Speaker 3: You can find him at vance skin dot com. I put a link on the blog today. He has a newsletter, he has a podcast. If you're a free market type, you should check it out.
Speaker 4: Vice. I really appreciate it. Hoping to talk again in the future.
Speaker 10: That was good, Mandy, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: All right, thank you, sir, Nerdy egghead talk Bryan Edwards before you're in.
Speaker 7: I love that stuff.
Speaker 3: I do too, although it's so and you know, someday I'm going to be proven absolutely one hundred percent right, and I don't want to be when it comes to the national debt.
Speaker 4: It is going to destroy this country.
Speaker 3: It's going to destroy like all the little crappy pissant stuff we're worried about right now is going to seem like it's gonna we're gonna look back on it fondly when the debt crisis comes, because when the debt crisis comes, it's not just the United States the old adage when we catch a cold, the world catches it too, and it's going.
Speaker 4: To be very, very bad, and no one in power seems to care. And that's what's so depressing. Yeah, I again not to derail extend we got of to day, but it's.
Speaker 9: Just, yeah, it's one of those deals where it feels like there's a lot of distraction. Right there's a lot of like shell game stuff where it's like we don't even end up talking about things that are actually very important. We're talking about the latest sort of TMZ ish kind of controversy.
Speaker 4: And it's frustrating.
Speaker 9: I think there's a lot of people out there, whatever way you lean, they just want to know, Okay, what's the facts and what are we what are your policies, what are your policies? How are you going to help me? How are you going to help me?
Speaker 7: And that's we can just borrow more, right.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm sure a trillion dollars on interest payments a trillion.
Speaker 4: That's where we are.
Speaker 3: We're now spending more on interest payments that we're spending on defense and education.
Speaker 4: Combine, what's the number when you get to four quadrillion quadrillian? Yeah, I'm sure you guys are gonna be talking about Alex Singleton out.
Speaker 6: For the year.
Speaker 3: But dude, what a stone called baller that guy is. He gets hurt in the first quarter, plays the entire game and gets ten tackles with a blown out ACL.
Speaker 9: It's remarkable, dude, Yeah, dude, And listening to Sean Payton talk about it, I mean he was just like, I've never seen anything like it, Like I've never seen and I've seen guys finished games, but it's like the very end of it, and you're like, you know, yeah, oh man, in fact that you have not I mean because especially that position, you're you got to hurt the ball back your most side to side. I mean, it's not one of those like hey, I'm only going downhill. It's an offensive lineman. If you're you know, I saw that today and that's just that's nuts.
Speaker 7: It is.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's it's a huge loss to for the defense, but it is what else is coming up on your on your show there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean we'll obviously talk about that.
Speaker 9: Talked this controversy with this quarterback at UNLV. I don't know if you saw.
Speaker 4: I did not see that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So he was promised, he was he's.
Speaker 9: The quarterback, right, So he promised about one hundred thousand dollars at least according to him, in nil money, and there was a verbal agreement and they decided, well.
Speaker 4: We'll give you three thousand, and so he's like, well, that's just yeah.
Speaker 9: So they get so, they get off to a hot start, they're off three and oh, and he's just like he was asking, he's asking, and they keep delaying, delaying, and finally they say, all right, take it or leave at three thousand, that's all we can give you. And he's like that, I'm just gonna red shirt and I'm not playing. And it's remarkable because un lv's off to this incredible start. They're they're winning meaningful games like there they might have a chance.
Speaker 3: To be They've never never heard about how Alabama's done it for years, and that's what's so weird.
Speaker 4: I don't kid kidding me.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And some people were like, oh, This isn't what the system designed for where we don't have no system in place.
Speaker 4: This is all new.
Speaker 3: We're putting the meat on the bones. Yeah yeah, all right, let's do this real quick.
Speaker 4: And now it's uh for the most exciting segment all the radio. And it's kindly all right? When is our dad joke of the day, please, Anthony?
Speaker 6: My anatomy class had to assemble a human skeleton. I hid one of the arm bones as a joke. No one found that humorous.
Speaker 4: Yeah, today's I saw that one coming a mile away. By By the way, what's the word of the day.
Speaker 7: It's a meliorism.
Speaker 4: Meliorism e l io.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I recognize it because we've had this word before and I cannot remember.
Speaker 4: It is something that causes a problem or disruption, ran No, I have nothing.
Speaker 6: Refers to the belief that the world tends to improve and that humans can aid in its betterment.
Speaker 4: All right, tamiliarism.
Speaker 3: Where in Europe can you find a statue of musician Bob Marley sculpted by Devor Dookie.
Speaker 4: In Europe?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Oh, you're not going to get this, so I'm just going to give you the answer.
Speaker 3: In the tiny Serbian village of Banatski Sokolok. Well, Marley never traveled to Serbia. His fans off then visit to take a picture with a statue. Because when I think reggae music, I think Serbia. It's like a hand in glove. I mean, you know right there? What is their category?
Speaker 7: The gig economy?
Speaker 4: Okay? Does it have the word gig in it? No? Okay, giggby smaller than its cousins.
Speaker 6: The shuffle model of this music player IDRE in ninety five, this type of disc debuted.
Speaker 4: It looked like a CD.
Speaker 5: But could.
Speaker 7: I said my name on?
Speaker 9: You know?
Speaker 4: What is a laser disc?
Speaker 6: Now's the question what it has? Laser disc in parentheses? I don't know if that counts as If it's in parentheses, that'll take that. I was looking for a DVD, but a laser Oh, okay, there you go.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 6: One common looky one commandment that applies to its Galaxy S two tablet, thou canst upgrade to one hundred and twenty six gigs with a micro SD expansion.
Speaker 7: Man who makes the Galaxy man O?
Speaker 4: Is Samsung? Correct?
Speaker 7: That's ridiculous.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: The Bolt DVR from this video recording Pioneer unifies your TV watching with its minimum five hundred gigabytes hard drive.
Speaker 4: No clue.
Speaker 7: Think about that cute cartoon character. What's the t BO? Correct?
Speaker 4: There we go, Oh, weird tie. Here's the deal in videos. G fours GTX titan Z.
Speaker 6: One of these has twelve gigs of memory and is billed as a gaming monster.
Speaker 4: Mandy, what's a desktop computer?
Speaker 6: Wrong?
Speaker 4: Dang it? What is it?
Speaker 7: What is a graphics card?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: And you've gotten right words?
Speaker 6: That's right?
Speaker 3: Yes, because I still believe that I still won that other one because you didn't know Guy Smiley was anyway. Kae Sports coming up next. We will be back tomorrow for a big half hour show.
Speaker 4: Don't miss it.
Speaker 3: It will be twenty one minutes of absolute bliss tomorrow at Nude.
Speaker 4: Keep it right here on KOA