Speaker 1: Victories for both Wigan and Lee. Things looking bad for Hull, left c for the Bradford Bulls and Lee Rhino's their Cup campaigns came to a close defeating Cast Saints turned their stripes Keith, Lee, gool and Oldham could not have gripes. Welcome to the thirteenth episode of Super League three sixty year podcast, primarily about the top tier of British rugby league, but we can go in any sorts of directions. My name is Lee Addison and my name is John Davidson. What do you think of that poem this week?
Speaker 2: John? That was very good, mate, It's very good.
Speaker 1: That was a combination of myself and James Varley because, like clockwork, he sent me his poem for the week, but I was in transit from Canberra because I've been deep in the bush this week, John, So that was a combined effort between myself and James Varley. For those who are expecting the Rugby League Coach Podcast in this slot, do not fear. That will come out a little bit later today Monday, the sixteenth of March in Australia. That is I'm a coach in Australia and that's why I'm using the data ahead of when Johnny is recording because Johnny is an Australian journal but he's in the UK. And you can read the description or listen to old pods to find out a little bit more about us. This podcast being aired on Ashley Rugby League, Rugby League Coach platforms as well as a Rugby League Coach YouTube as well, so if you subscribe to those you won't miss a thing. Also thanks to Rugby League dot Com, not to be confused with Rugby League Coach dot com Rugby League dot com who are also taking this recording. So John I've been deep in the bush, like I said, and let me tell you something straight off the bat, and tell me what you think about this. On a drive from June to Nerandra, which is a couple of hours, all I saw was AFL posts, no Rugby league posts. When I drove from Mirandra to Young all I saw was AFL post and Rugby League post. The only place I saw rugby league posts was at the clubs I visited, one of them, the young Jerry Pickers. I've got their polo shirt on now and please know that the any views I'm expressing a mine and mine only and not those of John Super League three sixty all this polo shirt and wearing. But it did worry me John when I saw that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean definitely.
Speaker 3: I think the AFL has been going on for what probably twenty or three years, that they're very very good with their odds kick program and in getting you know, putting money into councils across yoursells and queens and in building you know, they're building their sport. I think they've they've been fantastic at doing that. And yeah, I mean it is a concern for rugby league. While obviously we're taking well we're restarting the Bears in Perth and the Storm have had a good presence for a while. You can definitely argue AFL is the more national game because they've got you know, South Australia, they're very strong in WA and they're going into Tasmania, aren't they. So it's participation is massively important. And you could argue with inflated hours by putting in your touch footing in tag even though you know there are forms of rugby league you can say, yeah, I think I think you can't overstate how important participation is at that junior level.
Speaker 1: Also, the Sydney Morning Herald ran a story the first week of the NRL and the AFL saying wow, while the NRL were in Vegas, AFL was in Western Sydney because they were they were pumping a lot of money and effort into their look. I mean, I'll briefly, I'll briefly cover this because I'm going to go into more detail on my Rugby League Coach podcast. And also this is called Super League three sixty. But the issues, the issues still carry over, particularly because the NRL is fraternizing with Super League about potentially taking over.
Speaker 2: I won't add it described to me.
Speaker 1: And I tend to subscribe to this theory that the AFL is like China in terms of how China have built their economy up over many, many decades. Basically, and we all blink and we're all using Chinese products or so many Chinese products. Our clothes made in China, etc. A lot of manufacturers use China because it's cheaper, cheaper, quite frankly to use things from over there. So their economy has grown and grown and grown over the years, and they're playing the long game. And that's been compared to AFL's strategy, rugby league strategy under the land Is in particular, has been compared to make America great again, make rugby league great again. And if you think about Peter Velandi's approach to a lot of things, bringing North Sydney back back to one referee, pushing for the Ashes, pushing to get Britain and England as a strong opponent again, these are all yearned for the past, I think for eighties and nineties, and a lot of his rhetoric, particularly when it comes to talking about the AFL, is very similar to what used to go on in those times. So when you travel to America, I don't know if you've ever been to say New York or Philadelphia, you do feel like you're going back in time a little bit. It's old, it's dirty, it was built over two hundred years ago, a lot a lot of the things there. You go to Asia and a lot of things brand new, and you feel like you're coming into the new world. So, look, I think there's a little bit of that goes on with rugby league. I've got to be honest, So I truly believe we need to spend a lot more on development and not just money. It's not just about money. It's a bit like the NHS in England, right, you just put some more budget that way and don't deal with the issues. The solution to meat to both England's woes and many of the the worrying signs I've seen in Bush, Australia is long term development.
Speaker 2: And this.
Speaker 1: John tweet of the week and if you want to tweet with John or ex with John Johnny D Davidson as the tag tweets of the week, I've decided from John is Jack Byrd one of the n r l's finest, coming over Geez Louise at his Comedy Gold commentary. Who who said that?
Speaker 2: Mate?
Speaker 3: I believe that was Kevin Brown on Friday Nights BBC commentary of Wakefield's win over later Ones.
Speaker 1: Jack Byrd is not one of the n r l's finest. He could he couldn't.
Speaker 2: That was that was That was my point. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know if Kevin was being somewhat facetious or he was trying to talk up Jack Murder know much about John, honestly don't know, but yeah, it just made me chock because yeah, I think I think Jack Burd's last REP games were in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 2: Or twenty seventeen. And yeah, he's a solid first grader, but he's not the NRL's finest. With all respect to him, Kevin doesn't manage him, does he? Not that I'm aware of.
Speaker 1: In the NRL right now, they'll be clamping down on that, So careful Kevin. Rugby League t Sweet of the Week and also doublingers Lee's laugh this week Kyle am or quote, must be something going on in Huddersfield Town Center this afternoon unquote. I just love the I love the cut of that jip. Put it that way. He did a video of Huddersfield ground. What's it called these days? It's not the Michel Pine q a Q stadium a Q. Well, nobody was a queuing outside by the look of it, because it was rather sparse. And this was in reference to the crowd at the Huddersfield versus Hulkingston Rules Cup tie. Can you tell us a little bit more, John about what might have been going on there because we have got it as a news item, so we might as well talk about it now.
Speaker 3: Well, I was at I was at the Huddersfield whole our game the week before, because that's the beauty of the Challenge Cup.
Speaker 2: It always seems to throw out.
Speaker 3: You have these teams who end up playing each other, you know, four or five times in the season. It's always seems like Wigan and Warrington played each other at a cup and I think it was last year Leedings and Helens played each other one week and and the next week it was Leedings and Helens and there was I think it was maybe five and a bit thousand last week and it's dropped even more. And Haddersfield a struggling. They've been a very poor team for a.
Speaker 2: Number of years.
Speaker 3: They're trying to leave their stadium because it's too big, but they and their owners trying to buy the stadium at Halifax, but he also wants to build a new stamem Ahttesfield hasn't got cancel approval for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The Giants just they have they've had They've always had a small fan base and it just seems like the people of Huddersfield aren't really that interested in going to games. I can remember seven or eight years ago they even opened their gates and you know, anyone could get them for free. And I think they've only got to separate for that. So, Yeah, Huddersfield are in a massive hole with a ton of injuries, bad performances. Yeah, and I think a lot of people in the game are kind of who aren't Haddersfield fans clearly aren't happy with them and we would like to see them replaced by London or another team. There's not a lot of love for Hattesfield, and you know, they've had the same administration, the same ownership for a long long time and they can't seem to drag the club into the twenty first century.
Speaker 2: But they are unleashed the giant. Yeah. Unfortunately, what the leash was holding.
Speaker 3: Up to and where they're unleased too, and what the unleashing process involved isn't isn't.
Speaker 1: As clear as predicted on the Super League three sixty podcast The Crowd.
Speaker 2: What was the number?
Speaker 3: I don't think. I was just having a check before we started. I don't think it's been announced. I think it was sort of speculated something like three thousand and three.
Speaker 2: And a half.
Speaker 1: And what was the Super League game the week before?
Speaker 3: I think it was maybe, off the top of my head, maybe about five and a half.
Speaker 1: But that's also season tickets and yeah, well that's.
Speaker 3: Also when you put a whole kr I think might have brought two thousand yesterday and maybe one thousand or fifteen hundred the week before. So when you look at it as.
Speaker 2: You know, just purely home fans, it's pretty pretty bad.
Speaker 3: And you might be to explain as betterly being a lovely pomme that you are. But I don't get the because I got in trouble some whole car fans of having to shrug me because I just guessed how many they brought, and you know, my eyesight's pretty bad, and it was a guest. I had no idea, and I think I got it quite wrong. But it wasn't an attack on the support. But clubs in England are very very proud of how many they take away.
Speaker 2: It's a source of pride.
Speaker 3: We take two thousand away to this or you only take it's a weird kind of dick measuring thing. I don't really get why you know that's a big source of pride. I mean I think the more important thing is how many. Well, the more important thing is a how your team actually goes, not about you know, how big a hand. But it's also throwing out your home stadium, because you know how many take If you take thirty away fans or three thousand, you don't. You don't build a business as a club on how many away fans you get.
Speaker 1: As an Englishman, like you said, and somebody's come through the English educational system for better or worse, there is an overarching scene that we sort of get immersed, did I think, which is the whole rule Britannia thing, great Britain, ruling the waves, take back control, you know, all those kinds of things, right, And if you look at Britain's history, there's been an awful lot of invading. We've done a lot of invading and not been invaded for about three hundred years or something. So murder and colonization, that's right, that's right. So I think there's something in the English psyche which is we are going to go to their area and try and take it over.
Speaker 2: I really do.
Speaker 3: And you're also said in soccer, doren't you it's like the European away Perhaps.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, yeah, so no, that's a bit of a deep answer, But I honestly think there's there's there's something tribal in it. Quite frankly and whole and and and the way. Fans are a lot more vociferous in the UK too, in football and rugby league.
Speaker 3: It's a cultural thing. It's the kind of a badge of aurador, you know. We I'm from Carlisle and we'll go and sleep on withouth away. While in Australia you're not getting the people from towns will find out in Melbourne for you know, get a few.
Speaker 1: But we've driven down fifty minutes down them sixty two to come here. We've driven twelve minutes from Wigan to Saint Elan's to get here.
Speaker 2: But you haven't driven thirty five. No I have this week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you flew, flew and then drove that I've done.
Speaker 2: I've done.
Speaker 1: At least he took a soft option. I've done, mate. Look out the way my car is traveling. We've got there. I've done about eleven hours driving since Wednesday, so I've done a fair bit. Socials popular lee of the week. It's not really a pop I've been. I must have been too nice, really, but I did say after after a few drinks on Saturday and watching the Dragons with some poor fella who was a dragons fan, Kale his name, and his mood just got worse during the last twenty minutes. His head was dropping as the Saint George getting beat by Melbourne all of a sudden, and I just posted I think the Dragons need a new recruitment manager, and a few people corrected me they've just got one Daniel Anderson, So to be fair, he's got some work to do, Daniel Anderson. But people will quick to remind me Johnny's job. You're a bit worried about journals who cover games off TV.
Speaker 2: It's just a growing trend across the across the sport. Look.
Speaker 3: I think all newsrooms, all media outlets are struggling for money, you know, struggling to get our dollars and to stay afloat, and there's less journal jobs around it. But there's just also a lot more journals who just do games off TV and kind of pretend they're at matches. And anyone who's worked as a generalist will tell you can't cover a game to the same degree or to the same accuracy if you're on TV watching at home.
Speaker 2: Then if you're out there see what happens.
Speaker 3: You talk to me about the game, you speak to the coaches, afterwards you have follow up questions like it's just it's just a the different thing, and I think it kind of deceives the reader to pretend that you are there. Though I understand if say you're in the UK and you're covering ah, well, if you're riding, say a report on the dragons in Melbourne miles away, but you know, if you're in Wigan and there's a game in Huddersfield and you know or holding.
Speaker 2: You don't go, but you're particudally there. I don't think that's a great look personally.
Speaker 3: And I think in the end we all suffer, whether it be you know, the reader or the sport, the discourse.
Speaker 1: Generally the after the hooter that we do, and this week we're going to do after the hooter after Thursday night's game Wigan versus York York. So you're going to be at the ground that day, okay, So that will be our That will be our fourth after the hooter. The first one we did was after the World Cup Challenge. This one you'll be at the ground, but the last two you've been at home. So just in the interest in the interests of transparency, I would always adds a report, and what do you do when you're at home?
Speaker 2: Well, the game. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The difference is I've done probably a handful of games in terms of matchroports off TV, but I don't think I've ever.
Speaker 2: Pretended or claimed.
Speaker 3: And you see how some people use social media or what they write about the impression that they are actually at the stadium. Now, yeah, I don't think that's right. You know, if you're at home, you're at home. But yeah, I don't think particularly with the after the hoods. You know, it's my lovely spare room. It's not it's not the brick community stadium.
Speaker 2: It's not any Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think what I'm saying is, if you're writing something that night, how do you write it?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean watching, as you know Lee, watching a game from a pressure room or from a stadium is very different to watching at home on TV. And in a way you could say you actually get better, better views, better at the angles, you get replays, you get commentary of all that sort of thing, and you might not always have the best advantage point from stadium, but it's actually in the post match and in the press.
Speaker 2: Conference and actually the ability to speak to players.
Speaker 3: And coaches and actually ask specific questions, which you cannot do if you were sat at home. Now, what people do is they take the you know, the the fox questions that might go to a coach or a player or Sky etcetera. Ands up. But you can miss many things. I'm just trying to think of I kin'd of think of a specific example, but I mean, actually I can think of a good example. I was at York and Keith Lee on Saturday and Liam Harris went off very right at the end. Actually I don't think it even went off, but Mark Applegarth revealed in the press conference that he had Grade two hamstring strain. You know, he's going to be out for a couple of weeks, and that's a really he's the half back for York and that's a really big blow. But if you weren't at the game, you would have just written, you know, your fifty six to ten win, nothing and another one Sam would He went off which I thought was an HII and didn't come back, but he'd actually had a poke in the eye and they were a bit concerned letter and send him off to the hospital. So the only reason I found this is out because I interviewed Mark Applegarta after the game.
Speaker 2: You can't do that when you're said at home, can you No?
Speaker 1: I mean part of your job, I think is about the quality of the fourth of state that we are consuming, and I think I think a quality fourth of state is very important. But also I think it pertinent to bring up the changing nature of how people are consuming things. So you'll be like me, you'd have looked at I'm sorry, I'm going to mention an RL again, but Broncos versus Eels the other day, it just looked like a basketball game to me. Do you score, we score? You score, we score, you score, we score. And I think one of rugby league's greatest things in my lifetime has been the balance between scoring and not scoring. So in soccer there is a big cry of emotion when the ball goes in because it's quite a rare thing in a game, Oh sorry, rare err In basketball, they score, we score, you score, we go. Rugby league has been somewhere in the middle of that. But now in the NRL in particular, it's creeping up now. People of our age and older in particular don't necessarily enjoy that as much. However, younger people and the biggest indication I always think you have to look at what is happening in the bigger sports. Apparently the English Premier League now are starting to worry about people's ability to watch a full ninety minute game, and they're looking at the stats have gone down. I mean, the stats are coming from a far higher place in the first place, So it's it's it's hardly troubling times for the English Premier League. But people aren't consuming full games in the same way they're getting them in social media clips. They're watching minis, they're watching shorter versions. I know I've done a bit more of that lately with Man City because of the time differences. So so bringing it back to your thing when we're reading match reports, I honestly believe as well that a lot more people don't care as much about that detail, and I think so much of it, so much of the consumption is just it's just screen grab or SoundBite or or just with' through how did Huddersfield go on?
Speaker 2: Yeah they got beat again? Right? Who scored? Right? Yeah? Thank you? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Percating one hundred percently And I know, you know several national newspapers who don't really include match reports anymore, or had no interest. But I think you don't get the full context or the understanding if you're not having on the ground talking to building people, building your contacts, speaking to people, you know, whether we fans, coaches, trainers, are the journalists, players, whoever? It's yeah, it's it's why you know we have war correspondence and they're reporting from war zones, aren't they They're not reporting from.
Speaker 2: Also John also John.
Speaker 1: It's like saying, you know, if we if we go too far down one path, i e.
Speaker 2: Everyone just wants short form stuff.
Speaker 1: They don't some people still want books, which is very long form. So I mean, you're right, But at the same time, it's just going to get harder and harder. If we do Johnny's job in five years, it won't be a job. It will be a one two, a round house and upper coat and a and a count count to ten and try and beat the count kind of thing, potential knockout because he's just getting further up, going further and further down that down that trend. And still people will still want long form content. People will still want detail ten and that's what you offer. That's what Massquod offers etctera. So it's it's you need to keep doing basically.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there's a place for both. But I think you are right, like consumption trends in terms of young people, his shorter attention spans and they want you know, I think you know, Match of the day their their audiences. People probably fordying up. You know, people in their twenties or teenagers aren't watching sitting now watching an hour and matching day Match of the day that they might watch two minutes of the best goals or clips. And yeah, we're seeing that trend across all sport and all media.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: So it's definitely something to be aware of, and I think that's why you see a lot more well TikTok, isn't it his short form video Instagram? You know, there's a massive trend towards video as well. So Rugby League's got to find I guess it's own a niche that in that space.
Speaker 1: Holders Phil Giants defense has a short attention span. Anyway, News items, something you sent about Jackson Hastings and Steve Massquad the story on him.
Speaker 2: Can you elaborate on that please?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's it's a bit of a plug for massacud story really I think it was at the season launch for Super League and just a really good long form interview basically from Justin Jackson Hastings. And he is quite a polarizing character. I mean, for he's always you know, he's been written about a lot in Australia, he had a very successful first in in Super League, went back to Australia and now he's obviously come back to England. And yeah, he's just a polarizing character. It's interesting to get his thoughts he thinks. You know, I think I think that the headline quote was the media hate me, but it is. Yeah, it's just a sort of fascinating. You know, he's pushing back on how he's been portrayed. But you know, when you look at certain facts, he has been at a lot of different clubs and there has been a lot of reports of falling out with teammates. I've interviewed Jackson before. He's always been good to interview. He's quite a look guy and I think he's a real talent. You know, I think he on his day he's you know, he's got all the skills. But in saying that also, you know he's had a somewhat checkered career at times. So yeah, it's just a just a fascinating yarn that I would suggest people go ahead and read.
Speaker 1: I don't know Jackson, but I do like people who are honest and raw. And I think I've got enough and I think you have got enough mental bandwidth to understand when you're dealing with somebody like that.
Speaker 2: Okay, ye.
Speaker 1: And I find it a little bit interesting that he fell out of favor at Sydney Roosters when Mitchell Pierce was the halfback, and he fell out of favor at Manly Seagulls when Daily Cherry Evans was the halfback. I find that very interesting. And both Mitchell Pierce and Daily I'm not accusing them or anything, but they had massive influence clubs they were at and half backs. It's the golden It's the golden position, isn't it in a team? And if a potential other golden boy is in the vicinity, then there's every reason that the minute he blinks in the wrong direction, somebody might complain about it. I mean, we only need to look at again how some of the leagues are coming out about the Brisbane Broncos because Madge maguire might be training them.
Speaker 2: A little bit too hard to win a premiership.
Speaker 1: The sense of entitlement there, so so there's a bit of that. He then went to England, very popular, very popular at Salford, very very popular I think at Wigan, although Wigan can have a little bit of ego in and around their place too well.
Speaker 3: I my understanding as he fell out with John Bateman and and maybe you know some other Wigan players and you know the talent Wigan was successful.
Speaker 1: But also Wigan. I always think of Wigan as the repub look of Wigan. You've got to sort of fit in with them, not the other way around a little bit. Yeah, And I did live in Wigan and had a very happy time in Wigan. And then he came to Australia West Tigers under a coach who was in his seventies by then and probably wasn't wasn't used to quite as much to this opinionated person.
Speaker 2: And who did the target sign from Wigan.
Speaker 1: Jackson Hastings and John Bateman and John Bateman. And then he went to the Knights under a coach who was very structured.
Speaker 2: Adam O'Brien started very well.
Speaker 1: He started very well and then apparently some women didn't like his girlfriend or something like that, or well.
Speaker 2: That's that's that's reference.
Speaker 3: There was a report about that has referenced in mascot story, but I think there was also a report about here he was told, you know, he was going to be playing reserve gride and he just left the left of training field and look, you know, I'm sure Jackson's got his and take, but yeah, yeah, it's just he is an interesting character and I like the fact that you know, he's prepared to talk. He's very he's very open and look, he's a character and that's what you know, we need more of those in the sports. So you know, whether whether people like him hate him whatever, you know, that's we need the heroes and villains, don't we in our in our sport. And I'm sure for you know St Helens, if he if he can keep playing, well, you'll you know, be much loved at that club.
Speaker 2: I think it's Sulford.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of love for him at some of those other clubs that he's played at.
Speaker 2: Perhaps not.
Speaker 1: Who cares if he wins trollph is with this team he got salted to the grun final. Did we get to did Wigan get to the ground final.
Speaker 3: It was the twenty twenty Grand Final was one by jack with the you know, the the crazy try at the end. So yeah, yeah, there's lots of stories out there, but you know, Jackson, I think is pretty determined, you know, to make the best of his time at some hells and be interesting to see how it goes.
Speaker 1: Now, Wakefield didn't pay their power bill.
Speaker 3: Yes, quite a remarkable thing. I think when the news stand opened, what was it two years ago? I think they played Wiggan in the pre season friendly and this happened. But I can't remember another time when six minutes into a game which is on the BBC Live on the BBC, and the power goes out and it was often twenty or twenty five minutes and you just didn't know.
Speaker 2: If they worked out accord.
Speaker 3: Ah, well, it's just a power out adage. I don't know if it was a technical fault. I think it was a technical fault, but yeah, the fact that the team sort of had to go back into the sheds and then warm up again. Look, I don't think I'm not saying it contributed anything to their loss, but I don't think Brad Arthur was too impressed and you know that result from Wakefield. You look at the form going into from both teams. You know, Leeds were quite red hot obviously, you know they've been to Vegas, but they were putting in big scores. Wakefield had been I think two wins from from four games, but not being great, being a little bit below Park. Yeah, a huge result, huge result for Wakefield. You know, for I'm sending a conspiracy theory here, John. I once once for a big game at Ipsfurred State High School, there was a lockdown bell or an evacuation bell in the middle of one of my training sessions, which happened to be the day before a.
Speaker 2: Big semi final.
Speaker 1: So I quickly turned it into there was some kind of bomb hulks from the opposition school to disrupt our training session, and the boys fell for it and we won.
Speaker 2: That sounds like your own version of.
Speaker 3: Wayne Wayne Bennett before the what was it ninety two growing far Brian Smith.
Speaker 1: I've done plenty of those kind of things. Internationals women's changes. There's been some changes to the international game.
Speaker 2: Yes, I spoke to the International Rugby League. They've been talking and looking at this for about a year, but they've eligibility criteria. So that.
Speaker 3: And I use the example of Tasmin Strange, who is an Australian with an English mother and I think also with Kiwi heritage, so eligible for at least three countries, and she had played for the Mary All Stars. She's also now eligible to play for England. And so basically, if you're a player, a women's player, maybe you've played for Australia, but you're also eligible for England, you can change not during a season, but after a year period to another country. So they've made these changes basically to kind of help on broaden the pool in the women's game, because as you know, the women's game in rugby league has been dominated completely by Australia and New Zealand really, but at this point in Australia, I think there's been six World Cups. The last three in a row have been won by Australia, three before that one by New Zealand. England was was it ninety two to four? I was at the game, but it was horrendous last year in Vegas. So with the Women's World Cup coming up at the end of the year, the hope is, you know, there's a lot of there's probably quite a lot of players who are as you know, you know, the movement between Australia and New Zealand and the Pacific Islands, you know, maybe eligible for Samoa and New Zealand or New Zealand and Tonga, Australia Fuji, et cetera. So we may see some movement in those national teams and hopefully much like we've seen in the men's game, with Jason Tamalolo Andrew Fafieda Caylen Ponger being the most recent one, we will see some defections which could actually be greater, will be you know, much more of a benefit for the whole game and makings more competitive in the women's game.
Speaker 1: I just think it's rugby league finally arriving in the twenty first century. I mean, so many of us are fruit salads now, we have so many different ingredients in us. So it's just the nature of it that we've had a Challenge Cup this week and John we've mentioned Wakefield and Leeds that was a shock result Wigan thirty Bradford six. I that probably puts Bradford where they are in the Super Leaguer thing. So I know that I know that it was a Challenge Cup. But there's been a lot of excitement rightly so about Bradford Bulls, but they're still a long way for them to go, and I think quite frankly, they've gone to the top team in the competition right now, in the super League competition, and we're going to put on something of a score line there. That said, when we look at the fixtures for next week, there's a chance that Bradford can still continue their their great season in Super League. So hopefully Wigan haven't dented Bradford's confidence too much.
Speaker 2: John, Yeah, no, I.
Speaker 3: Think the interesting thing from the Wigan perspective is obviously I lost Bevan French to injury after the to lose winning. He's going to be out for something like four months, which is with dry Field also out for quite a while. That's horrendous for them. They're arguably the two best players in Super League you fallback and your six. So they've drafted in a very kid, I think a twenty year old Noah Hodkinson and I think he, you know all accounts did very well on Aboo, so you know they've got Jack Farreman in the is the young sixth pairing with Harry Smith and they've got a young, young fallback and you know we can continue on. So I think Bradford there was also a couple more injuries in that game. They've they're injury accounts melting. And then we look over at St Helens and cast and I think Saint Helen's you know, a good win for them, but also a few injuries there. I think Daryl Clark, it just seems every game at a moment in Super Leagal Challenge Cup has got injuries. So the way the way we're gon, we're going to have you know, Andnder Aidings playing by the end of the year.
Speaker 1: Or dust the boots off. York fifty six Keighley ten. So contrary to what I've just said about Bradford, more confidence for York. Gul scored ten against Warrington who's scored seventy eight, so they're unbeaten. Run continues. Huddersfield twelve or KR fifty two, not too dissimilar an outcome.
Speaker 2: To the Super League game.
Speaker 3: Actually, John No, it was just you know, how to fill out some more injuries from that game a week ago. So I think there's something like sixteen players down, you know, I don't even know if you could put a bed on this, but you know, Hoker I would have been overwhelming favorites.
Speaker 2: And as I said in the last podcast, I mean they will get a win, but I really struggle to see where Haddersfield get a win at this point of the.
Speaker 3: Season with not only with so many players out, but it was also just such a drop in confidence.
Speaker 2: And yeah, the.
Speaker 3: York Keighley game, much like Goole Warrington. You know you've got full time teams against part time teams. It's only going to end one way. It was interesting with York obviously, and then the result was never a doubt, but Mark Applegarth was indifferent because he thought they could have put on a lot more points. He wanted to see more. But yeah, with that injury to they're half back and potentially the center. That's certainly a blow for York because they don't have a lot of depth in their squad at all, obviously being a promoted team. So they go to Wigans right Thursday night, and that'll be a really, really a way trip for them.
Speaker 1: One thing I was thinking when I looked at the Wigham score line is one thing Matty Pete has to be careful of And it's just reminded me of what you said about Mark Applegarth, is rings such a long season because the English season is ridiculously long. It starts three weeks or four weeks before the NRL and finishes one week after every year and no bys, not buys, and a cup competition thrown in two yep. It's very hard to keep yourself up every single week and to give one every single week, and whether he wants it or not, and it is his job to be the barometer of this, I suppose, but Mark Applegarth probably witnessed some of his players realizing that they had this game and just going a little bit less emphatically wigging on the other hand and putting people to the sword. And Matty Peet's got to be careful because this obsession with with being your best every week, sometimes teams struggled with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I don't think really any team, and you look at the Broncos last year, they certainly weren't. You can't beat your best every week. Obviously, you know you're trying to be at your best, but you're not going to be a ten out of ten every week?
Speaker 2: Are you?
Speaker 3: But I think the difference for me with that weekend score and the York performances. Obviously, York were against a championship team, and I think they scored three minutes in and then you could basically sense it, you know, York instead of starting to play direct, you know, in how they would against the Super League team and you know, do the hard work first, you know, play through the forwards and then get them, you know, find the space out wide. They were trying to throw it around and score off every set, and I think Mark got a little bit frustrated that because I thought, well, you know, we our breaking tackles with relative ease, and just thought we don't need to you know, we don't need to get into an arm rustle. We just need to throw the ball around them will just overpower them. And in a way they did that. But that's obviously not how they're going to have to play against Wigan or Warrington or any of the other games they're going to out this year. So it's interesting that York didn't rotate, you know, a lot of their players. They're basically had a full straight team much the week before after Vegas. Really no changes. But I think you know this better than me being a coach. But I think coaches generally don't like to change winning teams, do they.
Speaker 2: They like to keep that consistency.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but again I mean over time, I've learned that you do have to just to keep people in your club or team fresh, to keep them engaged. Catalans didn't ease up it by the look of it against Oldham fifty eight nil. I don't think. I don't think the win is a shock. I think the size of the win might be though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I haven't seen any highlights.
Speaker 3: Again, but again that's a part time team.
Speaker 2: Having a look.
Speaker 3: I think cat Land's got the win against Loe last week, but after a couple of very bad performances, So for them, they'll be happy. They'll be very happy with that. And again it's a new spine that you know, four players have never played you know together before this season, so they've had what four or five runs as a spine, you know, Stains and Sexton and Dodd and well Cruise leaving joined very very late. But they've got the the French shock there as well, so you know it'll take time for them to gel. But yeah, good a good score and be interesting. I think we've got the Cup draw on Tuesday morning, so quarter final stage. You know, I don't think, to be brutally honest, if you're a super League team, you don't actually have to win that many games to actually win the Cup. You only really need three four wins, and sometimes you need to play three super League teams, So what tries are thrown?
Speaker 1: The two interesting games to me, and that's why I've saved them to last, were Cast Saints and Lee Hull. So let's go with Cas first. I have access to the Facebook groups of a lot of these clubs, and Cast fans are really unhappy as a rule because Saints were a little bit under strength, but Saints still beat them Matt Castleford thirty two eight, and I do think for Ryan Carr, the chance to roll Saints in a Cup game at this stage would have been a great phillip for the rest of the season. So what I'm discussing sublimmely here is different coaches can use the Cup for different means, And you know, Wigan and York could have used it to rotate the squad a little bit. Cass could really have used it to kickstart their season to get a lot of confidence, and that's quite a significant score against some thirty two eight and Saints were missing some players.
Speaker 3: They were and then you see Ryan Carr, I didn't, I wasn't out the game, but he was very unhappy with the referee. Yeah, the lack of the video referee the Cup games, which you know isn't great, but yeah, some specific decisions. So it hasn't been the greatest of starts forecast. I don't think they've been terrible by any meanings, but yeah, I think I think that was obviously a disappointing result, a disappointing performance from them. Again that you know, they are a very new spine and they've lost their fullback for the season, so they're going to have to change that around. But they're going away to Warrenton this Saturday and Warrington are undefeated.
Speaker 2: That's going to be difficult.
Speaker 3: You know, one win from what you know, if they lose that game, one win from five rounds is not an out.
Speaker 2: Of the Cup.
Speaker 3: Is not a great start for Ryan Katy if that's what Look, if they knock over Warrington on Saturday, you know, that would be a tremendous result.
Speaker 2: So we'll see what happened to that one.
Speaker 1: The big game I think from a Super League perspective was Lee and Hull and it ended up Lee sixteen Whole Left C six. These are two teams that have had a poor start to the season quite frankly, and the winner of this is potentially going to have more confidence going into the next few rounds of the season. The loser is looking at a tougher stretch and Whull Left Sea have come out on the wrong end of this one. Your thoughts on that, John.
Speaker 3: Yeah, again, I've not seen any highlights of clips of it is that we all sort of have seemed to have come off whole. The fan base is not very happy. Jake Arthur really hasn't made much of an impact. There's always a new half pack at the club. They have got quite a few injuries, but you know Lee are also struggling, So yeah, I think there's a lot.
Speaker 2: Of unhappy people from the Black and.
Speaker 3: Whites after that result, and for Lee, you know, a bit of respite after what has been a pretty.
Speaker 2: Tough bar round one, a pretty tough start to the year.
Speaker 3: There's obviously things the chairman, it got confirmed this week my exclusive from last weekend has left the club. Mike Latham obviously Chris Chester left last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you would, you would? You know that the signs are that all's not well, at least off the field.
Speaker 1: Lee questions, we didn't really push hard this week because last week we had one thousand and I've been one. Yeah, I've got I've put it in from Gavin Quinn, the same one.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's the one.
Speaker 1: Any more Englishmen linked to the NRL in twenty twenty seven, that's one for you, John.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've not.
Speaker 3: I've not heard any specific new names. I've not had an update on the Mikolai Aleedski one.
Speaker 2: Now. I know Perth were very very keen for.
Speaker 3: Him and that he does have a get out curse NRL, so I don't know if there's been any movement on that. That would be a big one if per over the line. In terms of other players, there hasn't been any other murmurings, but I know Perth are looking very closely at Super Leigue in particular. You know, Adrian Lamb spoke to me and said, how you know he'd been chatting to Malmaninger, obviously very close mate of his. You know they worked from the ex train coaching stuff for many years and you know you look at the depth of talent across the n r L, which you know Lee, you know, with two new clubs coming in, they will be looking at Super League for players. And you know, the money that's on offer, even you know a minimum or an average wage in the.
Speaker 2: RL is very significant. So you can completely understand how it would be a law for many English.
Speaker 1: Players honestly turn Perth or P and G into a demi English franchise.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not going to, I think.
Speaker 3: I think with the English links with Perth with w A, that would have been the obvious choice, but that's not going to happen. I think P and G it makes sense that they will look, you know, if it's not Adrian Lama's coach, but they will look to a lot of P and G, either players who were born or raised there or with heritage so he use over.
Speaker 2: Coaches Edwin A. Papees.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I think Cooper Bias just resigned with gold cos hasn't he but those kind of players because you will need a local link. You can't have thirty you know, ossies playing for P ANDNG. You need you need some locals in and I'm sure they will. I'm sure they will and there's a lot of talent obviously coming through the ranks in P and J.
Speaker 1: We can play York on Thursday to fixture for York that you'll be there. We'll do after the hooter after that, after that game. We've spoke a little bit about that already. I accidentally, instead of writing to lose, wrote Toronto versus Saints. How people will be will be pining for that fixture to loser hosting Saints. Look, I Saints have basically if you look at their fixtures, they've had one big win one week, then the week after they've lived a few points, one big win one week. So I don't think this is unwinnable for to lose. I think I agree as clear as they've had a week off because they didn't enter the Challenge Cup.
Speaker 3: Exactly exactly at home, Saint Helens are going to travel over to France. There'll be nice and arrested. Saint Helen's missing, I think Daryl Clark, and there was another injury from the Bradford game missing. Maddie Lee's missing, Jack wellsby Jacob Host broke his leg in the in the Bradford game the week before. Look, I think to Losa. That's a big, big banana skin for sn Helen's look. I think if so All's go there, get a good win, that shows that they're going to be a top four team this year. I think if they lose that game, you know they're still there's still question marks around them. So a really good test and I think for to lose, i'd be nicking their lips of that one.
Speaker 1: I agree. Bradford Bulls hosts the Huddersfield Giants. I can only see one result. Quite frankly, it shouldn't be Huddersfield Giants should be thinking we've got to try and target this game from a promoted team. If Huddersfield don't win at Bradford, we cannot We're not going to If they can't be a multi tide, who's got to be.
Speaker 3: I think with you know, fifteen or sixteen players out out of their thirty man squad, yeah, I don't give them much change. I Bradford have got a few injuries as well, but Bradford at home or the way the Giants have been you know, playing not really been able to do the basics.
Speaker 2: You know, the defense is poor. Yeah, I can only really see a Bradford Bradford.
Speaker 1: Win and therefore Bradford's Bradford's form line in the Super League won't be bad at tot will it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've done They've done really well.
Speaker 3: I think out of even of the three promoted teams, I thought Bradford potentially might struggle the most, but they've been very, very good. And I think, as I said the other week, you know, Kurk Haggerty is a really talented coach and I like the way that they play.
Speaker 2: They don't you know, it's.
Speaker 3: Not a five drivers and a kick grinding stuff, try and move the ball, to try and attack from deep. There's a few you know, trip players and things growing in there and it's it's quite exciting to watch.
Speaker 1: Well they can solidify fifth. They're currently in the final spots, so all power to them. Wakefield versus Lee Again, I'm not sure which Wakefield team is going to turn up because they've been a bit scratchy, but yeah, I think I think Wakefield defeating Leeds, even though there was that twenty minute hiatus, I think that just tips them over the over the to the positive side of where their season is going. Because they've not been awful. Wakefield they've just they've just made life hard for themselves basically, so I would fancy Wakefield in that fixture, but Lee are going to be a bit more confident after what happened well we described against All Left c.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely I agree with that. Like I think, I think Wakefield's slight favorites. I think their pack was very, very good on Friday against Leeds. Tom Johnson back is a big in for them and Jack in Field has been making his mic got mad of the match on Friday, So yeah, I'd be tipping Wakefield in that, but you know Lee again, them getting back in the Winter circle is a big boost for them as well, so it should be an interesting one at the Diy Kitchens.
Speaker 1: Stadium, Warrington host Castleford. Unfortunately I can only see one result there based on the conversation we had a few minutes ago, so it gets a bit tougher for Ryan Carr and the lads. I see this as a potential banana skin for whole. K are going to the Catalans and I see it as a banana skin because OK have done an awful lot of traveling in the last few weeks and they were they were highest kite mentally in terms of performance for the World Club Challenge. They then had the trip to Las Vegas where they flopped, come back, had a down to earth moment against Udthersfield, and then if it wasn't enough, they had to go to just Field again the week after, and now they have to go to the south of France, so again a real potential banana skin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean going to play Catalans and Katlens is never really an easy game, but you're right, it's another bit of travel. Look, I think you know a whole the you know, Willie Peers will be drilling into them, you know about how important this game is and to keep their performances going. Have had the two wins now back to back against Haddersfield, but the Dragons will be much much tougher. Test should be a really good game this one, and I think you know, if you're the Dragons and if you can knock over the defending champions, that you know is a sign that they're there, they could be the real deal as well.
Speaker 1: All left c and leads lead will be angry after last week.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, Brad Arthur really sprayed his team. I think.
Speaker 3: The dropping the ball because they would have been a big chance for silver and a cup and half see a struggling massively, so you would expect a reaction from the Rhinos. That would have been a shock on Friday, and I think I think a Leeds win is what you know, would be most favored.
Speaker 1: The Wakefield game may have been impacted by a twenty odd minute stoppage for a power outage. The South's game away to the Roosters was interrupted by a twenty minute stoppage because Alex Johnston went and brought the Australian record for try scoring. I thought that was a great moment john I thought it was brilliant.
Speaker 3: It was, yeah, it was. It was fantastic. I was watching live on TV. I must have been. I wasn't full Wayne Bennett, but I was thinking before the game the pitch invasion as it needed, you know whatever, not trying to be a wealser. But once you had a game, I thought it was great. It just cracked me up that the first fan who got Alex Johnson was a bloke, a Roosters fan in ninety Chucks Jersey.
Speaker 2: I like that because Alex Johnson's a very likable guy.
Speaker 3: And you know, look opposition teams hate, you know, fans hate opposition teams or whatever. But it wasn't a club record. It was a what seventy odd.
Speaker 2: Year game record?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, And you know it was just it was just a fantastic moment. I think if you if you love rugby league, it was a great moment. I'm an unfortunately these days, I'm a manly fan and I'm not a I'm not a big fan of Souse, but I was great to see him.
Speaker 2: Get the record.
Speaker 3: I thought it was a great moment. And I thought these absolute idiots attacking the Prime Minister trying to say that you know, he was trying to get in some sort of glory. He's actually a South Tragic, Like he's such a South Tragic. Then they got kicked in what was at ninety nine. He was on the committee to get them back in, Like he is a real proper fan and he, you know, wanted to be a part of it. I don't I don't see a problem. You know, Chief you want to if you want to find him five grand, I'm sure he's got five grand to play it up. But I thought it was I thought it was great. I think, you know the fact that the NRL hasn't find anyone was also the right call and it was just great, great moment for the sport.
Speaker 1: The Prime Minister is a genuine, genuine Sales fan. Scott Morrison was a bit of a plastic Sharks fan.
Speaker 2: I think it was. It was not a Sharks fan at all.
Speaker 1: Everyone Tony Tony Blair was saying he used to be a Newcastle fan and I think one of the players he mentioned was dead when he went to a game.
Speaker 2: So well. I was watching a Tony Blair documentary All the Week on Sheriff. Yeah I saw that. Yeah, yeah, yeah, but he's to play the head tennis with Kevin Kagan.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right. Cool Britannia, Cool Britannia. So he really tapped into that Premier League sort of vibe. And I think it was Jackie. I think it was Jackie Milbourn he brought. I went to watch Jackie Milbourne, I think so.
Speaker 3: And I think Bob Hawk you might not remember this being an Englishman, but back in the eighties he was very good with that.
Speaker 2: With the can't win Australia one and he famously said, you give everybody a day off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anyone who sacks him is a bum and he was also famously with Jack Gibson with the third coat when Parajuan but albow is a dire hard house man, you know, And look, rugby league has benefited a lot having a rugby league Tragic as the leader. Look at the six hundred million they're getting for PNG from the federal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he doesn't.
Speaker 1: People are just trying to politically point score Penry Penry in an era where in the NRL, these games of basketball going on most of the time. I've conceded one try so far. Other season they look very good. I think that's quite ominous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I only caught a bit of the first half against the Sharks. They just look and the Sharks are a good team, Benroth just look next level. It is scary that that production line and I.
Speaker 1: Mean at the end of a day, same theory though, got to be so careful not busting and got too much in the opening rounds.
Speaker 2: Are pretty good at doing that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, They've just got that that experience and that talent, having the penrith and they're just you know, yeah, that'll be up there.
Speaker 1: September to the Broncos lost again officially the the worst start to a Premiership defense, I think, or something like that.
Speaker 3: So as your new channel, Damn Britney Spears, didn't you leave Port.
Speaker 1: Madge alone, leave Paul made a lot a lot. What gets me is the fact that this stuff is leaking out of the club.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's rugular league, mate, There's more leagues. I'll tell you what though.
Speaker 3: Look, it's been a very bad start for the Broncos and include the world challenging there. But I'd much prefer to be Madged than Anthony Seabold or Todd Payton.
Speaker 1: Well my point is Manly and Cowboys, which coach is going to get the punt first?
Speaker 3: You think, well, well, look, I think if you're going up pure on roster, Cowboys have got the better roster. But look, I think Seabow was very lucky he didn't get sacked last year and they've got the Roosters next up, and I can't see him win that game. And look, I think, yeah, that mainly performance was particularly weak when you consider they lost Ponger and Brown and Newcastle did it easily. I didn't see the Cowboys game. I thought in Vegas, you know, they were pretty competitive. They weren't terrible in Vegas did get beat but yeah they haven't. I think was at twenty twenty two they made the prelim final, they went deep in the finals. But the Cowboys haven't done anything for a long time. So I think probably unless there is a big big change in either of those clubs as in terms of upswinging results, those coaches will be on the chopping bot.
Speaker 1: In mitigation for Peyton. And don't get me wrong though, look awful well they've not played a game in Townsville yet, including the trials they went down, Yeah that they headed south for the trials. They then went to Vegas and they headed south for their first game back on Australian soil. So but you can't say that about Manly.
Speaker 2: Well that's that is when I say two games at Brookie.
Speaker 1: And the third game coming up at Brookken too, and they always they always played better at Brookie, you know, the Sunday game today against the night's perfect weather.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just when you look at Cowboys team, you look at that rostar, you know, and they've got they've got deer, and they've got drink water, and they've got Hesse and Nanai and Tamo. He's just that quardback, there's other players there.
Speaker 2: They're not ringing out, you know. They've just they've got Matt Lodge, good go forward, good proper.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they've they've got They've got like a very they've got a i'd say a top six, top seven, top eight roster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then there'en nowhere near that for a while.
Speaker 3: So yeah, look, I think I think mainly've got some weaknesses in the roster, but in saying that, they've also got a good enough roster to be at least in the contention of the finals.
Speaker 2: And they've yeah, I don't know, finished tenth last year. You know, they've just it's just not been not good enough.
Speaker 3: And then with all the off field things with the travoieviches with Tom and what happened with DCE the CEO, Tony Mestra getting the boot. Yeah, it's not been good at mainly for a while. So I think it needs to be big changes.
Speaker 2: You've turned this into a madly fan winging podcast, the.
Speaker 3: The the.
Speaker 1: Analysis video this week because I've been delving deep into the bush for the last few days and.
Speaker 2: That's my first time you've ever said that.
Speaker 1: That's Johnny, that's it's a bit more sparse than it used to be. The I've not decided who to analyze yet and he too, john Any ideas super simply Yeah, simply so on Zero Tackles Loose Carry podcast. And I've got some clips of the Paramatter and Broncos game, and I'm looking at the way teams attack with shapes of the way halves organize shape around them.
Speaker 3: So I been on Warrington obviously with probably the oldest halves partnership in the comp with George Williams and Mark Snead. Obviously the young fullbacks has gone injured, so they'll have a new, a new fallback in there. And obviously Daniel Walker pretty experienced quick out of the rock hooker.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so you know that doesn't necessarily have to be this week, depending on what footage I can get old But no, no, no, I'm not.
Speaker 2: I don't mean it like that.
Speaker 1: It's just that it depends what I can access, if you know what I mean. So Warrington attack because I did do their defense the other week, and their defense has improved definitely structurally anyway, So yeah, that's interesting. So Johnny, where can people get You can get me on X and Johnny D. Davids and get me on Facebook at John Davidson, Journalists on on Patreon at Rugby league dot com, Long read, email me admin at Rugby League coach dot com dot you, have a look at Rugby League coach dot com dot you or at Rugby League Coach on socials apart from x which is at RL Coach on the Net. Myself and John we'll see you after the hooter on Thursday night Friday morning in Australia.
Speaker 2: Take care,