Speaker 1: And now it's time for Basis week Day up Day featuring veteran news anchor kt fun tweets. Here are the important stories he's currently tracking from around the world.
Speaker 2: Yet all the data from the US Postal Service saying that dog attacks on melmen and women have reached a seven year high. They reported more than six thousand dog attacks in twenty twenty four alone.
Speaker 3: Wow, how many six thousand? That sucks? And that's just reported. That sucks.
Speaker 4: Like I think of shark attacks more than any other attack. By the way, when I was in the ocean, I was not even in shark infested waters, especially not dangerous shark waters.
Speaker 3: Meaning turks and caicos.
Speaker 4: But the whole time I'm snorkeling, the whole time, I'm thinking about a shark.
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 4: The whole time, I'm not able to relax or do anything else but think about sharks the whole time.
Speaker 3: That sounds really fun.
Speaker 4: I'm thinking about myself, and then I'm looking at my children swimming in the ocean and my wife. I'm like, yeah, we're all about to die a shark attack, and so on my mind, I think there's a million shark attacks every year because of the movie Jaws.
Speaker 3: But based on those stats.
Speaker 4: You're like, you're way, way, way more likely to get attacked by a dog than a shark if you're a postal carrier, right, And most of those postal carriers don't swim like they're not swimming from one place next in the ocean. So what about Ben looked over and his wife was actually swimming with the shark. She was grabbing two different sharks by their shark.
Speaker 2: Fans, and they were just like, wee, there's a dog buy an awareness charity, so maybe we should start donating to that.
Speaker 3: Let's get them on, let's get their spokesperson.
Speaker 4: Katie, you were saying pit bulls are responsible for most of these dog attacks.
Speaker 2: I think some of them. I would actually like to know the type. It is mostly in the Midwest, we're seeing, Oh, what was that up to that tornado alley?
Speaker 5: I will say it's weird. So Simon is a very sweet dog, but it's the postal, the guy that drops off our mail every single day. He goes insane and it's just him and I don't know if it's in the dog's mind where it's like I don't want this person here every day. He still thinks he can get away with it, and that is that what's going through their mind?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Well, have you ever seen that thing where it's two dogs going at each other, like with a door, a glass door between them, and they're like ah, and they're showing their teeth and the minute you open the door, they just totally chill. Yeah, Like, some some dogs are not about that life. I've got one living at my house all right, and and but some dogs are and I don't you know, if they're protecting their house, maybe they worry that this person is a danger. But the dog that will actually attack and not just bark, that's this terrifying thing. And I truly feel bad for those postal workers to have to deal with that. And dude, just bringing up pit bulls like we've done that in the past on our show and you get overwhelmed with text message.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 4: There's there's great pit bulls out there, and you can set a baby, a toddler and a pit bull's lap and it may do nothing.
Speaker 3: I get it. Everybody should try that tonight, I get I get it, But I.
Speaker 4: Don't know if if you have one of these dogs that is super aggressive and potentially dangerous. I mean, should you be responsible for that dog's actions? Like, in other words, if a dog attacks somebody, why wouldn't the owner of that dog be held responsible for whatever the act is.
Speaker 3: I mean they are in terms of like if you assume them or what.
Speaker 2: We only hear about these stories when it's Dallas Cowboys players.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, so, but yeah they should.
Speaker 6: And I think also the other part of the conversation, and people get very worked up about this, I agree with the sentiment that cocker spaniels are, you know, a bigger angry nuisance than a pit bull. I agree with that. The problem is that no cocker spaniel has ever mulled anyone to death. You know, we're talking about the ferocity and the size of the animal. It's like there's people that have chimpanzees as pets and it's all finding good until the chimpanzee goes, you know.
Speaker 3: What, this sucks. I'm gonna tear this person.
Speaker 6: And they can do that because of their size and their strength and all these things. And so it's like, I'm not saying any dog is worse than any other dog. I'm not saying that at all. And I agree with you some of these poodles or bigger jerks and bite you more. But it's about I mean, dude, if a lion gets a hold of you, you're done. That's all there is to it because of the size and the ferrocity of the am.
Speaker 4: Right, And they're still animals, and so they're really impossible to predict one hundred percent of the time, especially these ones that play poker all the time.
Speaker 3: There are a lot of pictures of that.
Speaker 2: Dallas was sixth in the cities with the dog attacks in twenty twenty four to forty three on postal workers. I would also say, like you're talking about the baby and the pit bull thing. To me, that's just kind of the equivalent of Okay, I went to the zoo and we had a snake handler and.
Speaker 3: We let the uh. I mean, I've seen this a million times.
Speaker 2: At Polyphonic Spree Christmas shows, they have a big snake out in the hallway and the snake will Okay, the.
Speaker 3: Kid wants to take a picture with a snake, you know whatever. I'm like, Yeah, something bad could happen.
Speaker 2: And anytime you put yourself in a situation where something bad could happen, like driving, yeah, you know it could happen. And that's just like the whole point of this. I know that's not a real great philosopher speech for me.
Speaker 4: Would you please pull that and send it to Chris Arnold so he could play that on his show?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that'd be amazing.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think the point you're making is that the guys from Jackass make bad decisions. I wasn't exactly sure, but it was excellent. Well, it just could happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, didn't you play golf one time with one of our advertisers.
Speaker 3: Dude, Jeff Stewart? Yep? Great drawing it in. Yep, the great Jeff Stewart, phenomenal athlete.
Speaker 4: All right, Coming up next, we'll get into the wildlife news, speaking of animals and attacks and scary things. We have an update on the Garland python. You need to hear this story now