Speaker 1: Check podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly podcast. Catch the show Monday through Fudday, ten am to noon on Check.
Speaker 1: I think you're gonna want to hear this.
Speaker 3: Your local sports coverage lives here to nothing.
Speaker 4: It's Alva not so fast cohole Breath with Don taymor I say that the winner of the draft lottery should be the winner of a two man loose.
Speaker 5: And Rick Dolly Wall I had a cherry tree up Little Ricky. I used to go up that tree and just sit there for hours and munch on those cherry.
Speaker 2: Years Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 4: Ten o'clock downtown Vancouver where the Paul Carson Studio. Thanks for tuning in, folks. It's Sonia Dolly the team on Check Don Taylor, along with Rick Dolly Wall. Ryan Henderson is our producer. He's the man that the controls are director. The voice of God is Derek. How you doing lovely? I got before we get into the hockey, I just have to say it is just incredible going home every night and as you know, we get off earlier than most people and watching the World Cup and for the second time, this combination of Messi Hallan and and Boppy coming through two goals each in their respective clubs, the respective countries victories yesterday thirteen goals combined over two matches. Talk about coming through and of course tomorrow at BC Place. Yesterday or probably last week, we talked about the Katar game and the most important match in Canadian men's soccer history, trumped by don't mind me using that word, by what's going to happen tomorrow. Tomorrow the most important match in Canadian men's soccer history. It's just been absolutely a wonderful whether you're a big soccer fan or not. The entertainment value has been off the charts and you can just feel the energy coming through the television said, it really is a special envious if anybody who gets to go to that game tomorrow at BC plays Canada and Switzerland, Canada draws or when wins and they move on to the round of thirty two and will play July second again at BC Place. Hockey Mike Babcock this morning officially the nineteenth head coach at ebonton oiler's history, and we understand that Dj Smith, who worked with the Kings on an interim basis as head coach this past season, replacing Hiller.
Speaker 3: Jim Hiller.
Speaker 4: He's going to go from LA to Edmonton to work with his old buddy Mike Babcock. They worked together in Toronto. DJ Smith was Mike Babcock's assistant. But Mike Babcock, this is real, This is actually happening. You're not dreaming of Folks. Nobody saw this coming. I mean, okay, over the last week or so, when the word got out that it was a possibility and that they were looking into in the NHL was investigating what happened in Columbus with Mike Babcock, nobody. Nobody guess this, nobody, And and look, it is a desperate move by the by the Abonton owners. And you know why it's a desperate move because they're desperate. They're people criticizing it is a desperate They're desperate. Time is taking on Connor McDavid and to some extent, Leon Dreisidel. They have to do something like this. And Mike Babcock, nineteenth head coach in Order's history.
Speaker 5: I want to see how long his term is Donnie on his contract two years or three? If it's two lines up with Connor right, the window is a small you mentioned it, McDavid. You better win. You better win, because he's going to bolt town if you don't win. Bringing DJ Smith was a good move for him. What he says at his press conference today is going to be amazing. You know, he's going to get attacked by the media. He hasn't coached in seven years. The Columbus thing was four years. He doesn't want to play off round since twenty thirteen, So you know he's gonna get grilled pretty good at the presser.
Speaker 4: But if I'm an Oilers fan, yeah, and I like the fact that I like what you just say. He's got something to prove, and this is a coach with a pretty impressive resume, not recently certainly, with all sorts of difficulties. But like, what bothered me the most about the Columbus situation is that I thought, I mean, you're asking players to share private information and photos on their cell phones and you're going to share it with the rest of the team.
Speaker 3: Was creepy. It was weird. It was also dumb, like.
Speaker 4: Everything that you've gone through in your career, all sorts of success, but you know, so much negativity when you look at the situation with Johan France and Mike Madano and Mitch Mitch Marner, and you come up with something like that, like Mike Babcock, you say what you want, tomut he comes across as a smart guy. The dumb move, like what the hell are you thinking? In this day and age?
Speaker 3: Maybe that worked, was gonna say ninety ye, well they didn't have cell phones but back then. But just to mind but the dumb move. If this guy.
Speaker 4: Sticks to hockey, if he just focuses on hockey, you know, like you just said, there, Rick, forget the mind games, forget trying to you know, manipulate or bully people.
Speaker 3: Just stick to hockey.
Speaker 4: Because obviously there's something there with Mike Babcock. Otherwise the people at Hockey Canada I wouldn't have hired him to, you know, help out team Canada at twenty ten to twenty fourteen and win win gold medals. If you stick to hockey, there's something there. But is he capable of doing that? You'd have to think he's learned his lesson. And look, yeah, you'd have to think he's learned his lesson. And that's good for the Edmonton Oilers. And I'm somebody who I'm not gonna sit here and say, as a Vancouver right that I want the Edmonton Orders to win a six Stanley Cup, but I want Connor McDavid to win one. It's a weird catch twenty two situation. This guy, he sticks to hockey, you know, because again there's something there that's it's got to be considered a positive move for the Edmonton Oilers.
Speaker 5: You can't blame the players, or you can blame them because you know, don the top players would have been informed. Apparently they had a meeting with Babcock. All right, McDavid drive title, all those big names had a meeting with him and they okayed it. So they okay, he's going to a Canadian market. Last time he got busted in Columbus, you know, not a great you know, hockey market.
Speaker 3: He's been to it.
Speaker 5: He's been to a Canadian markets. To a Canadian market didn't work out for him. I mean, he didn't do great in Toronto. But let's see how he does there. They got a short window to make this work, to keep their star player happy. The other guy's got turn them on his deal. It's all about Connor McDavid. Win for him and you can sign him to another deal.
Speaker 4: One thing you said there regarding McDavid in dry and undoubtedly Zach Hyman.
Speaker 3: Yes, the star players.
Speaker 4: We'll see what happens with Darnell and Nurse apparently the trading wat But when you when it comes to the star players and everybody that's had Mike Babcock as a coach, including Mike Commodore, who's been open about his hate for Mike Babcock more than anybody else. The problem for Mike Babcock isn't the star players and how he treats them. He treats them, well, okay, it's it's it's the bottom six forwards, it's the six seven defense, it's the staff, it's the ushers.
Speaker 3: People like that.
Speaker 4: How he treats that, that's not good. I know that, doesn't you know? People, what do you well? It It seeps into every corner of the organization when you treat people poorly.
Speaker 5: Culture.
Speaker 4: So that's hopefully he's you know, if you're an Oilers fan, hopefully he's learned from that.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: I know, people say, well done well Mike Madonel. We talked about he's a star player. When he was in Detroit, he was a spare part and end of his career, and you look at Mike McDonald's hockey dB page, it's sad. It's not sad. He hit a wonderful career, but fourteen hundred and ninety nine games and he scratches him for game fifteen hundred and I think it was the last four games of his season in Detroit and never got to fifteen.
Speaker 3: I mean, just the mind game stopped that.
Speaker 5: Mine stick to hockey mind games, always mind games with this guy.
Speaker 4: But hey, but good coach, undoubtedly interesting nineteen head coaches now in Edmonton Oyer's history. The winningest coach in ebonton Oida's history. You know it's not it's Jay Woodcroft. If you go by winning percentage six forty three, it's not even close. But now blocks actually second, it's six twenty four.
Speaker 3: Glenn Savor's third at six sixteen. You have to remember that.
Speaker 4: Say, there was there when the Oilers were on the rise with Gretzky, So there's there are some teams there that didn't win as much as you you might have thought. But Jay Woodcroft far and away winning his coach in Oil's history. He had a pretty good lineup to work with. I'm surprised he didn't get another chance. He will somewhere down the line, right crazy staff, because he was rumored for Toronto, even her talk maybe returning to Ebonton. But and then, by the way, amongst those nineteen head coaches, two former Canuck head coaches and Pat Quinn, I forgot about him is one season the late great Pat Quinn man I miss.
Speaker 3: Him and Tom Raymond Ray was there for sure, Perry was there for a while time. Okay, conuct News, what do you got?
Speaker 5: So this is a big week ahead, Don, I'm hearing Vancouver's open to anything, especially when it comes to veteran players. One team told me last night they have heard Elliotts, Petterson, brock Besser, and Jake Debrusk's name out on the market, the trade market, but they have not heard Philip Paronic's name. Now that could change any minute, But don we've been through this. When you have a young blue line of Vancouver, four guys they dressed under the age of twenty three, you can't have six rookie defensemen. You can't have You gotta have some veterans around to insulate those young kids. Heronic's also a candidate to be named captain. We'll see where it goes. I know that people have a condition. You're not going to name a captain. They will Malholtra told us, you know, and on Petterson. If the Canucks they have a deal, they will go to his agents and ask if your wave is no move. But his name is out there, don It is out there, big time, out there for.
Speaker 3: A long time.
Speaker 5: It's been out there for a long time. But his agents haven't been contacted. They have there's nothing going on with the agents right now. But his name's out there, big time, big time.
Speaker 4: Okay, I know we've had this conversation before, but Philip Heronic is a captain? Like why bother? Well, why do you have to have a captain.
Speaker 3: Of this stage?
Speaker 5: Why not? You're gonna have a young team. You got a bunch of young kids coming, you got a draft coming, You've got three drafts coming. There's a wave of kids coming. You don't think they need to look up to someone and have some leadership look up to me?
Speaker 3: Why does he have to have a letter?
Speaker 5: Well, like, see, you don't want to see he could be an a. He could be an A.
Speaker 3: Well, sure that that's fine.
Speaker 4: I think that we've had people on this show and You've seen people over the last few weeks talk about, you know, the role of the captain or how do you find a captain and sometimes it just it just happens over time, it's gonna be one of these young players, like I could say, honestly, I could see Vlander one day being the captain of this Tom Lander just the way it comes across absolutely, you know, real promising young young hockey player.
Speaker 3: Philip Proonic answering to the media, that shouldn't be your you know, it should be the number one consideration no matter who you acquire in.
Speaker 4: Any situation, should be how do they deal with the media? Will they go on Donnie and Dolly? That's that's that should be your number number one consideration.
Speaker 5: Trevor Lindon was a great captain. He was paying at a young age and and Trevor was a great captain. He was great with the media. But not everyone, Not every captain is great with the media.
Speaker 3: Bottom line, Well, who wasn't great with the media?
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm just saying. I'm just saying, not every single captain on every team.
Speaker 1: Part of the.
Speaker 6: Job, A part of the job, you're in the media, Okay, part of what How about I need him to be a good captain, guide the kids, be a good pro on and off the ice, Provide leadership on the ice, Provide leadership off the ice.
Speaker 4: Dot what do you have to answer for your club's performance good, good or bad to the media? Which is the liaison, the connection between the club, your business and your customers.
Speaker 3: It's an important role.
Speaker 4: They'll they'll find themselves. A camptain Philip Ronok would be a mistake at this point. Maybe somewhere down the line, but not right now. And Adam Foot officially to Utah's and assistant.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's there and he did really well on his contract, Donnie. And Adam Foot is going to be the defenseman coach in Utah and he is off there. I wanted to mention this don Teddy Blueger won't be back. He's going to hit the free agent market. So the connects are going to be looking for a centerment.
Speaker 3: You know what, remember what if they trade Pederson?
Speaker 5: Well, okay, so do you give atu Ratu more of a chance now do you? They signed that big Russian Donnie Ela Shaffanov. They got to give him a long look at training camp. He's got a European clause in his contract.
Speaker 3: Don your European cli is in that he won't go down to abas.
Speaker 5: For he will, So you got to make room first half and half and off. But anyways, listen, don listen. So you got you gotta make room for that kid. Braiden Coots is not far away. So does it make sense to give Blueger Donnie term when Braiden Coots Coots might be an absper next year and then ready for the NHL. You got to make room for the kids. You gotta make they might get a centerment in this year's draft. You got to make room for the kids. Signing a thirty one year old Blueger to an extension with term, maybe you're gonna take away ice time from those young kids.
Speaker 4: Okay, so why you want to keep ronic? To help out the kids? But you get rid of Blueger?
Speaker 5: Yeah and a great leader. And remember he ripped the team for not enough caring. Yeah, but he's thirty one. Heronic's not thirty one.
Speaker 3: Done.
Speaker 5: The age plays a factor. Look at this guy. You know you're contradicting, You're not contradicting myself. Blooger's thirty one. It makes a big difference.
Speaker 4: Well, no, we you still want vectors there. Look, I'll say what I said before we started the show, before he went to air, is that years ago Trevor Linden made this point. I think it was on this show that you don't you need the odd veteran in there who is okay with being here in a rebuild, okay, because like you can go with all kids and lose eight too every night.
Speaker 5: You don't want that. But you don't want that, so now you're green. You want to be competitive and lose. You don't want to be losing.
Speaker 4: But three two four two, and then the odd winds sprinkled in there, and then you win the lottery and you get land in DuPont. It's all, it's all there, but you don't want to you know, every night you don't even its completely demoralized. You don't want to get god veteran. But what what if they lose? What if they lose Blueger and they trade Peterson? They better get some centers back.
Speaker 5: Right they while they were in on Michael, you.
Speaker 3: Go on and on. No, they've got no centers. You wanted them to get rid of Peterson. They were looking at him.
Speaker 5: So anyways, he's gone.
Speaker 3: He's he's gone.
Speaker 5: He's not he's gone. He's got They better get sized, toughness and more Canadians this summer.
Speaker 1: Right heronic twenty nine in November?
Speaker 5: By the way, Yeah he's twenty nine. Yeahs thirty one. Wait, he's not thirty thirty one, thirty two, thirty three, thirty four. So there you go.
Speaker 1: He'll be thirty four at the end of the contract. Brick, Do you think I get that?
Speaker 5: So? Do you want the Canucks to dress six defensemen under the age of twenty four every night?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 1: You just said it.
Speaker 5: You're okay with losing blue You're talking about the blue line. I'm talking about the blue line. He just doesn't like six defenseman under the age of twenty four every night. No, see how they do that, Ryan.
Speaker 1: But here's your here's your thing. You're missing. If you trade a veteran doesn't mean you can't acquire or sign a veteran.
Speaker 5: Like right now, how many vet how many UFAs want to come to Vancouver? None? Thank you and the conversation, but.
Speaker 1: You always say it, there's only thirty two jobs as well.
Speaker 3: Okay, does blue girl want to be here?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 5: That's between him and his agent and the canucksy. I was told he's hitting the market. He's hitting the market, so they don't get him fined. By the way, Centerman teams are just desperate for centerment, so he'll he'll find a home on July Firth Cannocks aren't. Well yeah, apparently not. He got you with that heronic No, no, no, it's not that a blue line is different than the forward group. There's twelve forwards. When you have the Canucks stress four defenseman under the age of twenty three last year, that's pretty young. Sure, not many NHL blue lines have that many young kids. Give me the case for keeping him. I just told you you need to insulate those young kids with veteran defenseman to bring in another veteran trade your most impressive trade ship. What veteran wants to come to Vancouver right now if you overpay him.
Speaker 4: Okay, we're going in circle. Yeah, we're going to Cirtain. No veteran wants to Let's just leave it this way.
Speaker 3: I was right.
Speaker 4: Here's what's coming up on the show a DTMZ is it is me. In the eleven o'clock hour, Sean Millington is going into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame BC Lions stalwart man. He was good at SF you, he was good at Carson Graham High School. He's going to join his at around eleven fifteen or so. Elliott Friedman scheduled to join is just after eleven o'clock to talk some hockey. We have talked about the Hockey Hall of Fame. He's at the Board of Governors meetings and they're in New York City. We hope to have Elliott just after eleven o'clock.
Speaker 3: A big Rye. It's a moving target.
Speaker 4: Big Rye, the Twitter guy coming up later this hour and up next. So much going on to the National Hockey League, including the draft on Friday or the first round of the draft on Friday. Craig Button, TSN scouting director, he's next. Thanks so much for tuning in, folks.
Speaker 3: Donnie do the team on check Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 8: The team is supported by Ableauctions dot CA Closing your Business we can help.
Speaker 4: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner.
Speaker 5: Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 4: For a free confidential consultation adding your business assets sold.
Speaker 3: Please email sales at able Auctions dot ca A. That's sales at a b l E Auctions dot ca A. It is what is it Tuesday? And all of our guests are brought to you by our title sponsor Able Auctions, Able Auctions dot c A. As the ABATA owner is officially named Mike Babcock as their head coach, we bring in TSN Scouting Director Craig Button. Craig, thanks for doing this, sir. How are you?
Speaker 9: I am fantastic. How are you gentlemen doing and joining the World Cup?
Speaker 4: Oh, oh my gosh, how can you not? Vancouver has been buzzing, Craig, Absolutely, but how about you?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I love the world couple love soccer.
Speaker 9: It's been fantastic and you can feel, you can without being present, you can feel the vibes and you know, hearing about the excitement from the people that are present in Toronto and in Vancouver really is fantastic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been so special, Craig. Let's start out with the news they has talked about just your reaction to the oilers, making it official and hiring Mike Babcock.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I think there's a couple of things that you talk about when you speak about Mike Babcock. The first thing you talk about is what a good coach he is. Number two you talk about is some of his past behaviors that are totally unacceptable. I just hope, and I've known Mike a long time, and I just hope Mike just acknowledges the error of his pastways and commits to making sure that he doesn't repeat any of those because as a coach, his record and his resume speaks volumes. But the narrative is not about Mike Badcock the coach. It's about Mike Babcock the way he's treated people. So again, I may have said this to you both previously. I'm a big believer in a Maya a Julou's comment, do the best you can to you know better, and when you know better, be better.
Speaker 10: Mike knows better, so it's time for him to be better.
Speaker 4: Craig, we talked so much about what you just talked about, what he has done off the ice and the mind games and the manipulation and the bullying. But what does he do well as a head coach when he sticks to hockey.
Speaker 10: Yeah, well, I mean I think that you watch.
Speaker 9: I mean he organizes a team to be really good in understanding what you have to do with the pocket, what you have to do without the puck, and the defensive zone and the neutral zone, and he really stresses how what one player does is going to impact another player. So we use the term connected, but those connections and it's like like a.
Speaker 10: Wire connection, but.
Speaker 9: It's not all the way in, it's not going to work and it's full function. So he gets them plugged in the right way, and he really understands how to get a team to perform to the best of their bill.
Speaker 10: He's individually in actively.
Speaker 9: Second to that, he prepares a team to go out to play and doesn't matter who you're playing, where you're playing, when you're playing. He really does a fantastic job of preparing a team to go out with a game plan that gives them a chance and confidence is probably greater to go out and execute to be able to end up on the right side of a game.
Speaker 10: And I don't he's done it.
Speaker 9: He's done it at the Olympics, He's done in the Stanley Cup playoffs, the Stanley Cup winning it. He's done it at different times, He's done it with different types of teams, and I think that those are things that are really important for any coach. How you organize your team, how you organizing your play, how.
Speaker 10: Consistent you are on your play.
Speaker 9: And Mike has a high standard and he doesn't let you slip below that standard with respect to your playing and the methods and some of the things you just talked about. You know, coaches in the past and all sports have used different tactics that cannot be used today. And I think again when I talk about Mike learning from it from his past and making sure he doesn't repeat them or really really important for him in.
Speaker 10: This job with the Eminton Owners.
Speaker 9: But as a coach, his record speaks volumes and that's how he gets his teams what.
Speaker 10: I would say to play to the best of their abilities.
Speaker 5: Hey, Craig Brady Concheck says, I want to go leaves ont wines up in Florida's brother left Calgary, Quinn Hughes left Vancouver. Should Canadian teams be worried.
Speaker 10: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Ray.
Speaker 10: I think it's too early to make that leap.
Speaker 9: Quinn Hughes left Vancouver because he didn't feel that the Vancouver Canucks had a chance to be successful.
Speaker 10: Yes, you know, it's very interesting and and.
Speaker 9: The reason that Dylan Larkin has not had he's a Michigan guy. We're going to be concerned about mission guys leaving Michigan and being captain of the Red Wings. He's leaving. He's put his request then because he doesn't believe that there's a chance to be successful in Detroit.
Speaker 10: He's been there a long time, So you know, do you like that? Do you not like that?
Speaker 9: You don't keep this in mind? Do we talk about Rick Talkeett leaving Vancouver? Ye, like Rick Talkin had a year, had an option on a contract, he decided to leave. Do we talk about Himley why did he leave? And we all well, opportunity? Well, I think he left for the same reason quid herest. So I'm just giving you a couple examples. I don't I think Brady ku Chuck wanted to leave. I don't think it was anything about how the run. Michael Landlauer and Steve Sales have done a good job. Travis Greed is an excellent coach. I don't think I think he just wanted to leave. That's going to happen. Sometimes players just want to leave despite your best efforts. But I think that it's way too premature to start talking about Canadian players leaving to go to other places, because we're seeing it with Dylan Larkin. But this isn't the first player that we've seen, you know, you know, opt out of the place they're in to say I'll go to I'll go to a different spot.
Speaker 5: All Right, I read something we're.
Speaker 9: Talking about Canadians, Rick, Just to be clear, I'm not talking about Canadian I'm talking about players anywhere.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, no, I got what you were saying. I read on TSN today you believe that the Canucks will take calebleholtret three and Liam Ruckett.
Speaker 10: I don't believe that.
Speaker 9: I'm doing a mock draft. I'm not having some fun where I think it would be a good fit.
Speaker 5: Okay, I don't.
Speaker 9: I don't work in the believe world because that's a that's a world, Rick and Gone, and you guys know it very well. I mean that takes a lot of work. The people that work in that area invest a lot of time.
Speaker 10: I'm doing a mock draft.
Speaker 9: Obviously you have some idea of where players fit into the draft, and I try to make it about where I think a player could be a really good fit, considering where they're kind of fitting into the draft, and then have some fun then let so.
Speaker 10: That's how I feel. It's not where I believe. I'm not trying to predict the draft.
Speaker 9: I'm just trying to have some fun with the mock draft and who I think could be good players for a particular team.
Speaker 5: You still think McKenna goes number one, Craig.
Speaker 11: Uh do?
Speaker 9: I think I do, And I'll tell you why. And and let me just say this too. We did a mock draft today and we had Mahuture going three, and we had some fun with Liam and Marcus right the Canucks we had to make a trade and talked about the Sedines and the great maneuver by now the latest inductee to the Hockey Hall of Fame, Brian Burke, and which I consider to be the greatest draft da maneuver. It was a masterclass in draft day maneuvering by by Brian Burke.
Speaker 10: So I think that you know.
Speaker 9: You got Daniel and Henrick who were so great together, Marcus and Liam, who are so great together? And why not have the BC kids joined the Vancouver Canucks And you know it was more of a lot of fun, uh And and they're good players, and they're really good players.
Speaker 10: And certainly, you know.
Speaker 9: You guys and everybody in Vancouver saw what the Sedines meant to Vancouver Canucks. And I think that if Marcus and Liam can have similar type impact on a team, that'd be pretty special. Now, to answer your question about am I sure that Toronto's gonna draft McK no? But I think there's some indication on the direction. You know, they trade for Ramel Andre trying to get a better puck moving defenseman into the group. They signed Darren Radish to help their power play that right shot defenseman. They John Chaca I think has focused in on what can this team be this year in terms of competing for a playoff spot. What does it mean with their captain Austin Matthews to try to.
Speaker 10: Get back to a level he loses Mitch Marner.
Speaker 9: It hurts obviously, player of Austin Matthews caliber because he doesn't have that point making a winger with him now.
Speaker 10: But kind of fits that bill, I mean, obviously.
Speaker 9: You're not going to come in and do what Mitch Marner did right off the bat, but instead direction that leads me to believe that McKenna would be a really good fit for the Toronto Maypleace with the first overall.
Speaker 5: Pick, Hey, Greig, Brian Brooke. You mentioned he's going to the Hall of Fame. We've all been yelled at by Brian and we love covering him. He's been absolutely great in Vancouver. He really was. I grew up listening Donnie and I did in the eighties to his radio hit every Wednesday. Tell us some Brian Burke stories when you were a GM you gotta have some. Well, you yelled at by Adam like we.
Speaker 3: Weren't deal with him a lot when you were in the front office.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Well, Brian whispered. He never really talked very much. You know.
Speaker 9: I laughed yesterday when he got the call from the Hall with Mike Gartner and Ron Francis and he said, I'm gonna loss for words, and Ron Francis said, that's a first, and I.
Speaker 10: Think we all know.
Speaker 9: Let me say a couple of things about Brian and then you know, and I think he's a worthy inductee to the Hockey All fame.
Speaker 10: I think he's a Hall of Famer. And he started as an agent.
Speaker 9: He represented players along with Bob Goodno and Bob Goodnell, the former executive director, the late executive director, the late Bob Goodnow who was a former executive director of the PA. Him and Brian always were working the very best for what they felt was in the player's best interest.
Speaker 10: And then he.
Speaker 9: Learned at the hand of Pat Quinn. I mean, like, how lucky is Brian Burke. Then he ends up going as a manager to Hartford. That was a short period of time, but then he went to the NHL and he became so important for a new commissioner.
Speaker 10: By the name of Gary Bettman.
Speaker 9: And then he comes back to Vancouver, he gets that team back on track, ends up in Anaheim, helps him win a Stanley Cup, and everywhere Brian has gone, he's really dug into the community. You heard Daniel and Henrick talk about how much they learned with Brian and how much the community matters and how they want to get back to that.
Speaker 10: That's the influence.
Speaker 9: But Brian always wanted to help people be the very best they could be, and sometimes that meant yelling at you telling you to be better. That meant sometimes yelling at you to say, hey, don't be a dumbass. But you knew where you stood with Brian, and I always appreciated that about Brian.
Speaker 10: Brian went and he worked in big markets, He had big jobs.
Speaker 9: He worked with the PWHL and he worked with their players Association to try to help them. You think about the right to play and the LGBTQA community and how supportive he has been in that community.
Speaker 10: It's not just Brian the hockey guy.
Speaker 9: It's Brian the person who was invested himself in communities and invested in trying to help everybody, regardless of who you are, be the best you can be. You know, I ran into a situation and it tells you, it tells me. I've known Brian a long time, and I ran into a situation where we had a scenario with the CBA where a trade got approved it shouldn't have been approved, and we're trying now to deal through it, and Brian, Brian's advocated with other gentlemen. We're all working on it, and with Bob Goodnow, who is the head of the PA at the time, to say listen, this is a silly.
Speaker 10: Rule, and Craig's a good guy.
Speaker 9: There's no intention on the league's part, there's no malice on anybody's.
Speaker 10: Part that led to this. So let's just make.
Speaker 9: Sure that we move forward and we don't get stuck on it. Now, a number of managers got stuck on it. And Brian phoned me and he said, Craig, he goes, I know you're disappointed. I know you're going to feel the responsibility and the weight of this, and that's his part, and Parcel being a manager. But understand that sometimes despite things being right and despite the decision being very obvious for what should be taken, people are going to disappoint you. And I say this about Brian all the time. His initials on his shirt sleeve say BPB. There's Brian Public Burke, which we know and we've seen. There's Brian piet Private Burke, and Brian Burke is a friend. I know if I ever ran into a problem, I could phone Brian Burke.
Speaker 10: He would do everything to help me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, said Craig.
Speaker 4: We'll leave it at that, and then I love this a mock draft you have, By the way, We're going to talk about that at a little bit more. We'll talk to you next week or our final week before we go on our summer break, and a draft will have happened, so we'll have a lot to talk about.
Speaker 9: Appreciate this, yeah, and free agency will be on the ball, even free agency.
Speaker 10: So away we go.
Speaker 3: Perfect, have fun, Thanks Greg, appreciate it.
Speaker 10: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Anyway. You will have fun at the draft too.
Speaker 4: But he has got If you look at his mock draft, Antia said the Canucks taking calib Mahultra over Iver Stenberg three. Stanberg was four to the Hawks. You mentioned this Liam Rock at twenty four. And then he has the Canucks making a deal with Saint Louis for the twenty ninth pick. And it hasn't Lias Peterson's name been thrown around when it comes to the blueser.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, there you will, There you go. The Ruck brothers end up in Vancouver.
Speaker 4: Recording to Craig Dean's Part two. Maybe okay, a break pull question. We'll let it reduce it. Next, Donnie Doll your team, I'll check looking for the ultimate Vancouver Island getaway.
Speaker 3: Head to beautiful.
Speaker 4: Parksville and experience the Bayside ocean Front resort where every stay feels like a vacation you'll never forget. From sunrise walks on the beach to sunsets on the patio, Bayside puts you steps from the sand with ocean views in every direction. Splash in the indoor and outdoor pools, hit the fitness center, then relax with a hand crafted cocktail at the oceanfront restaurant and lounge. Whether it's date night, a family trip, or a corporate event, Bayside is your perfect year round escape. Book your getaway now at two five zero, two four eight eight triple three.
Speaker 3: Your Island adventure starts here.
Speaker 5: A new era is underway, and RBC is proud to be the newest partner of your Vancouver Canucks says we write this next chapter. Starting next season, RBC clients they will get exclusive access to entrances, in game perks and enhanced experiences at all home games, bringing you closer to the Canucks experiences you love the most. Stay tuned for more details. Out of the twenty twenty six twenty twenty seven home opener, probably presented by RBC, Your ideas happened here at RBC.
Speaker 4: Watling Dog Poll Question Experience, one of Victroy's iconic destinations. Catch the World Cup at the Dog with Canada games shown live and loud and all twenty two TVs with full sound. Come sit and stay at the Watling Dog today, Ryan, get her.
Speaker 5: Up the Waterling Dog. Pop poll question. Are you confident the Canucks will trade a veteran with term between now and July? First look at this. Sixty four percent say yes, but thirty six percent say no. We know names out there are Elis Peterson, Brockbesser, Jake debrask, Philipronik. We know those names are being ban teaed about. Debrusque makes the most sense. He's the easiest cap guy to move Donnie out of all of them.
Speaker 3: He really is.
Speaker 5: And uh, you know he scores twenty goals every year.
Speaker 3: I would expect ninety nine percent of them on the power play on.
Speaker 5: The power play. Absolutely, but there's some team out out there don struggling on the power play. Get Debrusque help the power play. You know what might be a fit.
Speaker 4: Somewhere if we listed like who who fans want, our customers want traded?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a runaway. It's Leahs Petterson is Patterson by a country mile, but and a lot lot.
Speaker 4: I mean the contract plus performance equals maybe it's time to move on.
Speaker 3: Is this not unreasonable?
Speaker 5: Does he look like a rebuild guy to you? You know, you want your veterans, you know, good pros on and off the ice. Young kids look up to them and all that stuffy things change. Oh well maybe okay.
Speaker 4: So I Meanwhile, we've got a new client, a new sponsor for our show, RBC Royal Bank of Canada.
Speaker 5: Very happy to report a new era is underway and RBC is proud to be the newest partner of your Vancouver Canucks. As we write this next chapter. Starting next season, RBC clients will get exclusive access to private entrances, in game perks and enhanced experiences at all home games, bringing you closer to the Canucks experiences you love the most. Stay tuned for more details ahead of the twenty twenty six twenty seven home opener, proudly presented by RBC. Your ideas happen here at RBC.
Speaker 4: For the last several seasons, we've seen the TD the Toronto Dominion green patch on the Kanuck uniforms. That's going to change this coming season, RBC. Their logo will now be looking on the Knucks uniforms.
Speaker 3: Look at that.
Speaker 5: So right there to the left side of the jersey above the Orca Whale, RBC proud sponsor of the Vancouver Canucks and Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 3: RBC does it not sponsor the Montreal Canadian Do they know?
Speaker 5: They do? They have the ar I think there's Carolina too. I think I knew a few years back here.
Speaker 4: Okay, but in terms of Canadian team, yeah, Montreal Canadians do have the RBC patch up. I'm not mistaken. It's no big surprise. But man, you're just all over that. You just love the corporate stuff.
Speaker 5: I love the corporate stuff and I also used that. I also use that bank, so I know the service is great, I know the people are great, and I know it's a good place to go.
Speaker 4: I use RBC because when I was a kid with a paper route, Oh, it was the bank Hastings and Rosser for in Bey that my buddy, you also had a paper route used I didn't.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I think my parents were involved with another bank. But where should I go? You know, my fourteen year old friend RBC?
Speaker 5: RBC?
Speaker 4: Okay, so there you go. RBC linked up with Donnie Dolly and the Canucks. Okay, back to the Hockey Hall of Fame for a second.
Speaker 3: The Hockey Hall of Fame announced yesterday it's twenty twenty six inductees.
Speaker 4: The voting took place on Monday, and there they are Patrice Berzron, Carrie Price, BC boy Peca Rene, Keith Kachuk, Cindy Curley. She's from Massachusetts, early pioneer of women's hockey. We mentioned Brian Burke. The one thing that sticks out for me is someone who's not there. The voting took place on Monday. How's Rod Brindemore not in the Hockey Hall of Fame? How does he not get enough votes?
Speaker 5: On what he will get in eventually? Did you say this morning that k Chuk took fourteen years to get in?
Speaker 3: I believe so.
Speaker 5: Okay, So if Ka Chuck took fourteen good week for that family, Yeah, exactly on the day that Brady got traded, Ka Chuck found out he was going to the Hall of Fame. But if Brady, if the dad took fourteen years to get in, Rod will get in. Rod Brandamore's got to get in. His numbers are across the board. He's won the Cup.
Speaker 3: How does he not get in on Monday? I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't get it, like pecer Rene has has. I'm gonna focus on him for a second. It but his resume versus Rod Brindemore's not even close.
Speaker 3: I mean, all due.
Speaker 4: Respect in eighteen or fifteen seasons with Nashville, great numbers, twenty eighteen vesna for PECERINNI, but Rod Brindemore well over a thousand points, well over a thousand games. As a player, wins the Stanley Cup, he won Selkies, he want you want a couple of saws, and as a coach wins an Adams Award and a Stanley Cup, and has really played a big part in holding together that Carolina Hurricanes franchise, which hasn't always been great, folks. I just find it surprising.
Speaker 3: That he wouldn't. He wouldn't get in like I I'm versus some other people here.
Speaker 5: We talk about Rod Brindomore every year. Why is the Campbell River native not in the Hall of Fame? And Brian Brooks there, I got a say this. I grew up listening to Brian every Wednesday on Radio don He will.
Speaker 3: Say whose show.
Speaker 5: It was?
Speaker 3: Dan Russell.
Speaker 4: Rick doesn't want to but anyways, but anyway, it was a great show sports Talk and w Burkey was on every Wednesday.
Speaker 5: Everyone must listen to radio. And listening to him on the radio every Wednesday, we just everybody gathered by the radio, little Ricky and uh I tell you right now, Donnie, it was must listen to radio.
Speaker 4: Well, I think the thing that people forget is that when Pat Quinn took over and Brian Brooke was an agent and he made made Brian Burke assistant GM of the Vancouver Canucks. If people forget what a down period that was for the Canucks.
Speaker 3: Horrible, horrible.
Speaker 4: So Pat makes all these moves. Remember his first big trade was getting Kirk McClain and Greg app stole them from New Jersey for Patrick Sunstrom. But beyond that, he let Brian do a lot of the media. Here I go with the media to talk again. They needed to sell the team, they needed to sell the product at the time, okay, and Brian Berg did a masterful job of that. No matter where he was throughout the world, throughout the hockey world, he made time to talk with Dan every Wednesday and that and he was he would rip into people, he would praise people, He was just such a great interview and that helped sell the team at a time when it needed help, because you know, you remember the coliseum at the time was half empty for a lot of pat and Brian and Bob McCammon came along, Trevor Linden Pavell. You saw promise, you saw hope there and Brian played a big part in that. And then of course he comes back after being there for one season GM of the Hartford Wheelers didn't work out there, goes to the NHL head office with Gary Bettman and then he become GM the Canucks again and he pulled off and Craig Button just talked about it. One of the most masterful forget draft day trades trades period of all time. And he manages the land, both sedines, so there's a lot there and on he went to the Leafs winsor Stanley probably to the Ducks wins the Stanley Cup. There the Leafs and Calgary and Pittsburgh. But boy was he something else when he was here both times. If you ask me, we've all been yelled at by Brian, which is fine. He's also given us praise as well, but he cared, he returned season ticket to the grace part he returned season ticket holders emails and calls. Season ticket holders would get calls going, hey, Hi, it's Brian Burke. You had a complaint and he cared for me. Brian Burke and Packquinn were the two best executives this team has ever had. And it's not close, okay, So congratulations to Brian Burke, to Brian Burke and and everybody. Everybody.
Speaker 3: Carrie Price and patrif bergeron were tap ins.
Speaker 5: Oh I mean, come on yeah, six silk career.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, Friday, some business here more business. Able Auctions will sell industrial equipment including two Sandvik drill rigs, two John Deere, three fifty G excavators, fifteen large moving crucks, lawn equipment, storage containers, large metal sheds, golf carts, mini excavators, work trucks, and a lot more. Everything from drill rigs to prefabricated metal buildings, all sold to the highest bidder on Friday Drafting. For information on this industrial auction, go to able Auctions dot CA to get your industrial equipment sold at auction. Email sales Able Auctions dot C, sales at a b l E Auctions dot C a fingers crossed to Elliott Friedman top of the hour, Sean Millington.
Speaker 3: After that he's going to the Canadian Football Hall of Fame. Up next, Big Rye, Donnie Dolly, the team on.
Speaker 5: Check looking for one of Victoria's most iconic stays. The award winning Waddling Dog has been welcoming and their dogs for over thirty years. Ten minutes from the airport and the ferry, Their room glend vented charm with modern comfort, making it the perfect home base for your island adventures. Your trip isn't complete without a stop at the legendary Waddling Dog. Pop twenty taps, Waldwall TVs Every Canucks game and UFC pay per view, plus an extensive daily happy hour and before you go stuck up at their cold beer wine store, hundreds of local and imported options, plus exclusive Donnie and Dolly merchandise. The Dog isn't just a hotel, It's a destination. Come sentence Day, just ahead of Big Rye.
Speaker 3: The Twitter guide, don and Sikamu's.
Speaker 4: Texting into the Bayside Inbox, Best two Hours at Night, Dan Russell's Sports Talk You refused to even mention.
Speaker 3: His name, Well, you stopping.
Speaker 5: I grew up listening. I just told you. Every Wednesday Brian Burke.
Speaker 3: Ten pm to midnight heard on Radio n L. Yes, all over.
Speaker 5: It was all over British Columbia and the big Deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was doing Sports Page at the time and listening to Dan was a must on the way home and on the drive.
Speaker 5: And replaced him for crying out loud.
Speaker 4: Well, that doesn't mean I didn't listen to I know you replaced him, all right, No, but on the way home from Sports Page, and I think Dan and myself and everybody's we considered our self competitors. But I know we watched our show and I definitely listened to to his big rye.
Speaker 12: So, speaking of the Hall of Fame, the San Jose Sharks had some fun with the Hall of Fame announcement yesterday and if you guy saw this, but Carrie Price, of course one of the names you mentioned, so they tweeted out Sharks legend, congratulations Carry Price. They don't know Carrie's contract was traded to the Sharks to the last.
Speaker 3: September to reach the floor.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming there's some kind of cap relieve cap something something something, but it was traded this past September from Montreal to San Jose. He is appending UFA coming up here Carry Price this summer.
Speaker 3: So it's too busy doing ads, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there is that but lakes. But the Sharks having some fun with Carry's induction yesterday.
Speaker 4: Carolina had fun as well. They had a shot of Brenda Moore holding the Stanley Cup as a player and holding the Stanley Cup. Another shot holding the Stanley Cup as a coach. And what more does he have to do?
Speaker 1: There's the caption, Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 12: And he's shirtless an incredibly good shape. You see him again on the weekend at the parade.
Speaker 3: Well, the player has ripped the shirt off his back.
Speaker 1: There's no fat on him. It's incredible. Like I would argue he's in better shape now.
Speaker 3: Ryan.
Speaker 5: It's called eating right and working on.
Speaker 1: Not like that, Rick, Like that's a commitment.
Speaker 3: Why are you like that?
Speaker 5: Right? But I try, I try, But you're not as trim as he is. But I don't spend three hours in the gym like he does.
Speaker 1: That's true. But yeah, it was very very impressive.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: The other thing we haven't talked about yet today the news.
Speaker 3: You want to talk more about what he looks like shirtless. No I shub of him not again getting into the Hall of Fame back.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, well no, I think that should be added to his candidacy.
Speaker 3: You know, I think incredibly good looking.
Speaker 4: You know what I think it is is that the you know, the powers that be Hockey Hall of Famer.
Speaker 3: Like he's going to get there, he's had a pretty good week. Let's let's give it to someone else.
Speaker 1: That's wrong.
Speaker 12: I know, it's it's the same thing like what did you say fourteen years with Chun That that's wrong to me?
Speaker 1: Like if you want to give a guy maybe five years or something like.
Speaker 3: Why why all Hall of Fames are like that?
Speaker 1: I know, and I don't get the ruling, like so you weren't good enough for thirteen years or fourteen years and now oh now you can. And I know it's sometimes right.
Speaker 3: Sometimes past is.
Speaker 12: So large you're not gonna get in, right, But that's too long in my opinion, I don't think.
Speaker 3: There should be a time restruction.
Speaker 1: Yes, if he was All of Famer, he should be All of Famer within five years. If it's not All of Famer within five years, that's it. Just our team. But I'm also a small hall guy. Some people are larger. I will agree, I'm a small hall guy. Like I'm sorry, Hall of Famer.
Speaker 3: The problem, I agree when you look at some.
Speaker 1: Other people, no disrespect, like amazing career Hall of Fame though that's a massive label. Hall of Famer.
Speaker 4: I think they want to cover all bases too, And to get a European is probably a big in there is probably a big deal.
Speaker 1: But that's wrong. Is that what we're doing now? We're checking boxes.
Speaker 12: Gotta have a European, gotta have this, gotta have that, like yeah, come on, man, like.
Speaker 3: Well, And the problem with the Hall of Fame, the Hockey Hall of Fame, and I think most hall of fames is when you look at some of the people who are in some hall of fames around here are the same. But so you look at some of the people.
Speaker 4: Who are in the Hall of Fame, yeah from years ago, and it's like what I mean there, I'm gonna say this. There are people in the Hockey Hall of Fame with Toronto maple leaf connections who I'm like, okay that if he gets in, then there's a gazillion people who should.
Speaker 5: Call who's on the committee it comes down to who's on the committee. It was, wasn't al Arboro on the committee for years? Well, pack Quinn was on pack Quinn was on the committee.
Speaker 1: I mean, isn't Lanny Is he the head of it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Now Mike Gartner's taken over. Yeah, I'm not totally aware.
Speaker 12: John Shannon knows a lot about the Hall of Fame, the ins and outs of the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: I mean, Pecrenni went a vesident in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 3: Is John joining us this week? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Tomorrow?
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: He did win a silver medal at the twenty fourteen World Championships, if I have that correctly, Yeah, twenty fourteen, uh pecrene. Because the one thing I think we do need to remember is it's not an NHL Hall of Fame exactly.
Speaker 12: So sometimes I played player hall of fame. Sometimes that plays into it. Is what you've done in the international stage and all that. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Just to me, John Garrett, the late great, I still have a problem saying that shut out to Sarah, his daughter. But he used to always make the point that why aren't players like I believe the player? He was a Penguin's prospect, minor leaguer for Lanka Jock Calendar. Just incredible minor hockey league career. But why if it's the Hockey Hall of Fame, John needs.
Speaker 3: To point it.
Speaker 4: Why aren't players who've done really well at the American Hockey League level or International Hockey league when it was a thing. Why are they not getting it? I had a pretty good minor hockey career, you know, dude.
Speaker 1: You you're in two hall ofs of fame.
Speaker 3: Be grateful for that, and shouldn't be in either.
Speaker 5: And there should be a ball hockey Hall of Fame, because if there was, I would be in it. Great hands. Is there a ball hockey Hall of Fame?
Speaker 1: I'm going to assume no, And if there is, you're not a ball some of.
Speaker 5: The best all hockey teams and he'll he'll back me up. And you would know this come from British Columbia when they go to the Canadian Nationals, the New West Astros, I think you was you the Burnaby beaver Steevers here, Yeah, Beaver's and New Astros went to the Canadians. A lot of good ball hockey players in British clubs.
Speaker 1: I played ball hockey for two seasons out of in a league Surrey.
Speaker 5: Yeah, in a league.
Speaker 3: Ye wasn't it noon our floor hockey?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I did that. I was in the Mirrow champion with fleetwand Park I believe.
Speaker 3: Then why are you in the Hall of Fox exactly?
Speaker 12: Then I also played ball hockey in in in Surrey as well, so.
Speaker 3: The road doesn't come oh not in front of my house in Fleet.
Speaker 1: But I did that too.
Speaker 5: We're talking tournaments, Yeah, talking, I played. We're talking. I'll tell you, boy, I had good hands.
Speaker 3: Like did you actually play on the Astros or anything?
Speaker 5: No, I'm not on the Astros. But I was Newst Royals. But listen to me, New West Royals. It's just that there was a team in the eighties. But I'll tell you I had good hands. Like people, you're you're glossing over this career. Just people would go out of their way to say, hey.
Speaker 3: So did you in and organized people would say that.
Speaker 5: But the goal they would go out of the way and say hey, you know they would kid, I've.
Speaker 3: Heard who you were.
Speaker 4: Like you know, when you see Messi walking around like at the World Cup and then he pops in a goal.
Speaker 5: Incredibly, that's you. But I wouldn't backcheck and were in the offensive zone. Gold But I wouldn't backchack. That's not I'm not I'm not here in Hall of Fame. No, I was basically Nikolai Goldobin.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's not Hall of Fame.
Speaker 5: I got news for you, Hey, Goldobin was a first round pick in the NH.
Speaker 3: How do you do in Vancouver?
Speaker 5: Not very good?
Speaker 1: He was was?
Speaker 11: He was?
Speaker 1: He the one at the first game breakaway.
Speaker 5: He scored in l A in his first game Goldobin, and everybody went nuts, specifically a media member.
Speaker 3: The mic found forwards remember Mike remember shout out his first game as a Canuck.
Speaker 12: Well, I mean, if if you were if you said hios close to Burret's debut, Goldobin had to be right there too.
Speaker 5: He's scored in his first game. You're right in LA. I think it was a breakaway and everybody would nuts and hype train heatlesview.
Speaker 3: Debut was one of the most impressive debuts by a forward and conducts history.
Speaker 1: Right there we go go and what a statement. Maybe Elliott Friedman next, we're waiting to see he's at the Board of Governors. He's very busy at the moment. We'll see I'm fifteen, Sean Millington, BC Lions. Great's gonna join us. Donny Day the team on Check.
Speaker 3: Hey everyone, it's Donnia Dolly and we're looking to partner with your company.
Speaker 5: We have several packages and price points to fit your budget and spread the word about your company on the show, in our podcast, and on social media.
Speaker 3: We'd love to get involved with your company. Called two five to oh eight eight oh twenty two eighty two or email advertise at Checkmedia dot ca.
Speaker 4: It is Tuesday, as I was reminded moments ago, and all of our guests, including Elliott Freeman, standing by brought to you by a title sponsor Able Auctions, Able Auctions dot ca a from Hockey Night in Canada and the thirty two Thoughts podcast. Elliott Friedman, I've just been informed, will join us in a matter of moments. He is in New York at the Board.
Speaker 3: Of Governors governors meeting. Do you know what they're discussing there?
Speaker 5: Board of governor stuff?
Speaker 3: Probably what they have for lunch.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, those meetings. The spread they get is unbelievable, I've heard.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Okay, so they're in New York Board of Governors meeting. We'll talk to well, we'll talk to Elliot about Chris, the Mike Babcock situation about to who or who is getting into the Hockey Hall of Fame, who's not getting into the Hockey Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: What they're talking about in New York. I got him now, Okay, Elliott joins us down. Elliott, thanks for doing this, sir. How are you?
Speaker 13: I'm good?
Speaker 5: How are you guys? Lovely good?
Speaker 4: What's on the what's on the menu? And I don't mean lunch or dinner? Why what's on the menu? At the Board of Governors meeting in New York?
Speaker 13: I think where somebody said to me that they weren't that they weren't expecting it to be anything too major. But I have kind of wondered, if you know, we might hear anything about the possibility of expansion somewhere down the road. We're gonna wait and see. But other than that, I'm not expecting anything major, even that might not be.
Speaker 4: Major, Elliet, when it comes to let's let's stay on that subject. When it comes to expansion, what cities come to mind for you?
Speaker 13: Well, I think it's like there's been a lot to talk about Atlanta. I think that they will come when we eventually go back to Arizona, I think they'll do it right. Like the moment that they took the team out of there, I said, the day will come where Betman gets them back there. I've always believe that the biggest city without a team is Houston, you know, Like, those are the kinds of situations I'm thinking. I think we'll also get the finalization of the sale of the Penguins to the Hoffman family. I think that'll happen too, And other than that, I don't know if I'm expecting anything else.
Speaker 3: Major Mike Babcock. Meanwhile, Elliot as we switch gears here, named nineteenth head coach in Vonton Oilers history.
Speaker 4: Do you understand what the Edmonton Hockey Club is thinking.
Speaker 13: I do. I know what they're thinking. They're thinking that they need a tough coach, that they need somebody who can kind of dictate.
Speaker 8: They feel that.
Speaker 13: They've dictated too much the players and that it's a situation now where the players need to be dictated too, and that's kind of why they did this. Okay, guys, I gotta take something here.
Speaker 4: Go go go all right, go go go, Thank you all.
Speaker 3: He's a busy man. Sound like he was walking through the streets of the New.
Speaker 5: York There's a lot of big names that are being moved right now and a lot of big Donnie, that's him getting a tip on a big story. So we're gonna let Elliott go and tackle that big story he's working on.
Speaker 4: Well something he said there was a very of a lot of interest to a lot of people, and that's the expansion possibilities. And I think for a lot of people at thirty two teams might be surprised that the NHL is still talking about expansion. But to go back to Atlanta raises a lot of alarm bells for a.
Speaker 3: Lot of people.
Speaker 5: Why Yeah, it failed twice a.
Speaker 4: Third time in both cases with the Flames and with the Thrashers, and Ray Ferraros talked about this. He he played for the Thrashers about arena location and that they could do better with that. I think with with Atlanta, it's different than a lot of cities, and that the arena location people feel it should be more more towards the burbs than the center center of town. So maybe maybe that happens. And then the possibility of going back to to Arizona and if you've been to the Phoenix area and saw where the Coyotes play. Glendale was a great facility, but it was so far out far and tough to get to, especially during weekdays. It wasn't it wasn't even close to the perfect situation. So that was That's another situation where the market is large, vibrant, has a hockey history there, b B. You know that history is what is what it is, But I think they want another shot at that that big, big market.
Speaker 1: Elli, you got off the phone to tweet something. Oh h Gary Batman has informed the board that they're going to open a process to investigate Houston or Austin, Texas for an expansion.
Speaker 5: Wow, franchise Houston makes sense. Houston makes sense. I think that I'll go the other way.
Speaker 3: I think Austin makes as much or more.
Speaker 1: I don't think either of them makes sense.
Speaker 5: There's not enough Houston Arrows, right, not Houston Arrows. They got a hockey history. Gordi Howe played there, Am I am? I am I correctly, Gordy Howe. We've talked about this so Ryan Houston Dallas, the rivalry they've had the pro hockey there before. Houston makes sense. It's a big TV market, Is there enough players.
Speaker 1: Coaches O gms like look at look at this coaching cycle that we just went through. Okay, the Oilers are bringing back Mike Babcock because there's no other viable options. Okay, Ryan Craig, you had.
Speaker 3: A promotion, probably said that at thirty teams. You probably said that.
Speaker 4: At Yeah, but idn't have been around that. But let me just go back to what I was saying. I think Austin makes more sense because the NHL has this history and it's worked out really well of going into markets where nobody else is San Jose, Vegas, Nashville. I'm talking about at the time they decided to go into those French and really set set a standard for other leagues, especially especially Vegas. You know Austin that sort of comes out of nowhere.
Speaker 11: I heard.
Speaker 5: I've never heard of Austin.
Speaker 4: The population, there is a million, great music scene there, much much like Nashville. I think that makes as much sense, maybe more sense than Houston.
Speaker 12: I worry about the product. Man, we watched so many bad hockey games. We do without within the course of the season, and the teams, the rosters.
Speaker 4: Not where I go, what where I go? With this is at my age. If you expand to another two teams and it goes to thirty four teams, Sorry, Ryan, but that decreases the chances of me seeing the Canucks went to Stanley Cup in my lifetime.
Speaker 1: And you should be worried too, worried about that.
Speaker 3: Your kids should be worried.
Speaker 1: I'm worried about that for Max and Ben already. I mean, come on, I just I don't selfish.
Speaker 3: I just think it's not going to get in the way of business.
Speaker 1: It's the easiest answer for them to get a massive bag of money. I get it. And the same thing's happening in the NBA. And look at the NBA. The NBA is a disaster too with a lot of games because it's the same thing as their players, their coaches.
Speaker 3: We just see the said disaster.
Speaker 4: And as far as the on ice product goes, the NHL is very good right now, Like.
Speaker 3: You forgot the dead pocket, you're on around you were two years old.
Speaker 1: But you're a you're also saying this all coming off of the Stanley Cup playoffs. Okay, when you're seeing which we're good, yes, of the of the best sixteen teams, you're forgetting about.
Speaker 3: The other sixteen forgetting about that. That bad is way better. It's way better than it's been for a long long time.
Speaker 5: But look, I.
Speaker 4: Would rather say, I'm with you. I would rather see twenty one teams. It's just the best players in the world every single night. But you're just not getting gonna get in the way of business.
Speaker 5: It's Look, that's not right, it's not right.
Speaker 4: Recently, Betman talked about the profits that they're making right now.
Speaker 5: It's a most revenue business.
Speaker 3: My point is I agree with you, and a lot of people will agree with you. You're not getting in the way of business. And look what owners get if they expand money, Yeah, expansion fees.
Speaker 5: The owner here likes money getting.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe maybe if he gets his expansion money, he can afford assistant coach or something here. Oh maybe maybe that'll be.
Speaker 5: That'd be they're going to hire assistant, coinages for an assistant.
Speaker 3: How about a practice facility.
Speaker 5: Well, that's god dream that's gonna happen. That that's not far away. My problem with expansion is if you had two more teams, where's your second round pick, first round or second round thirty five?
Speaker 3: Again, hurt any fox chances exactly.
Speaker 5: So people, you have to understand if you're picking first in the second round with two more teams, it is thirty fifth over all. What was it thirty years ago? It was in the twenties. It's very hard now, very very hard. But the kids, every team has that exactly. But the players are gonna come from Russia, Finland, Switzerland, They're gonna come, They're gonna be there.
Speaker 4: Well, you know what's interesting, Ryan, you say that about the talent pool, You would think that with this Olympic surge in the US, that that country is gonna get even stream, have more people from areas you'd never think would produce great hockey players producing hockey players.
Speaker 3: So that that that'll probably see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll see. Yeah, we got a break, Okay, I don't think we're gonna be able to reconnect.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the thing with the Elliott. He was on for like three minutes and he provided us with all sorts of thank you, all sorts of content, including the penguin situation. We'll see all that works out as well. Okay, a break up next Sean Millington. She lines he's going into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame. Sewn's next Donnie Della the team.
Speaker 5: I check.
Speaker 11: Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 8: The team is supported by Abelactions dot c A. Closing your business we can help.
Speaker 4: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business.
Speaker 3: And sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner.
Speaker 5: Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 4: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email sales at able auctions dot CA. Do't sales at ab l A Auctions dot ca. Okay. A lot of conversation going on break all of our guests today, including Sean Millington, our friend, former Beastlines running back going into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame. Brought to you buyer title, sponsor, Able Auctions, Able Auctions dot c A. Like I just said, John Millington is going into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame, and what a.
Speaker 3: Player Harson Graham is.
Speaker 4: High school days SF you and then of course I'll do the CFL with among other teams. But I did Winnipeg again ebonton Toronto two A. I think the BC Lions. Sean's going, as I mentioned, October seventeenth in Hamilton, into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: I'm excited for him.
Speaker 5: Sean.
Speaker 3: Thanks for doing this, sir. How are you.
Speaker 11: I'm very well. Thanks don great to be here.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. What does this honor mean to you?
Speaker 11: Wow, it's a huge thing.
Speaker 14: I mean, it's one of those things that I've thought about over the years and thought, I don't know, you know, you look at your stats, you look at what other people have done, and you just kind of generally think, oh, I don't have what it takes to make that jump, and maybe I don't stack up with some of the other August members who.
Speaker 11: Are in there. And then when you are.
Speaker 14: Shocked and surprised to learn that actually you do have it and you are going to go on, It's like it was a very emotional moment for me.
Speaker 11: It was a big surprise.
Speaker 14: The Lions did a fantastic job with how they set that whole thing up, and it was just a very impactful moment.
Speaker 4: Okay, seaw, let's go back in time if you don't mind. I'm pretty good at doing that sort of thing. How did this all start for you? How did the game of football start for you? Where did it all begin?
Speaker 14: Well, the funny thing is that when I went to Carson Graham, I went from a small middle school, Balmoral.
Speaker 11: At which they didn't have a football program. And I've been playing rugby in the fall.
Speaker 14: And when I got to Carson, the rugby season in the senior high went to the spring. And so I'm like, I have nothing to do in the fall, and I still want to do some sports. So I tried out for football. I tried out for tennis, and I tried out for soccer. And I thought to myself, after doing those practices, well, I've already played tennis before, I've already played soccer.
Speaker 11: I've never done football, So why didn't I do football?
Speaker 14: And tried out made the team, and the coach, mister Henderson at the times, in his infinite wisdoms, off it to play me on the old line and I where he wanted to play running back, but he wouldn't let me, and I argue with him and argue with him for a full year.
Speaker 11: Didn't happen.
Speaker 14: Finally, the senior next year, which was my senior year, the previous running back had graduated and I tried it out again, and he's like, Okay, fine, you can go to tryouts. Obviously I won the position, and the rest, as they say, is history.
Speaker 3: Mister Henderson, he didn't know what he was talking about. Sean Millington on the old line, Hey.
Speaker 4: Sean, so many big numbers that you put up, so many accomplishments, but this one really stands out for me. One hundred and seventy six Special Teams tackles fourth in CFL history. I had no idea about that stat. How much pride you take on that, because I don't think a lot of people would would look at your career or remember your career outstanding running back, but you were a special team's demon.
Speaker 14: Well, it's funny you say that, don because I didn't know that myself either until all of it just came out and I read that stat somewhere and I was like, Holy Croley.
Speaker 11: I didn't realize I was that high up in the list. And you're right.
Speaker 14: I did take a lot of pride in special teams. That's where I got my start. Coach named Jeff Rheinboldt at the time put me, well he's still named jeff Ryebolt, but at the time he put me in on the field and that was the first time I got to start, and so that's where I kind of got my toe into the game and had an opportunity to show what I could do. And therefore I always took pride in running down as hard as I could, and it was kind of a culture on our team for a few years there where no matter what else was going on on the field, where we were losing all the games, but we were going to show up on special teams and that was the unit that was going to be strong. And as part of that, I took a lot of pride in doing that. And it was kind of an internal competition between the guys running down who could get there first to make the tackle.
Speaker 11: It was never about are we going to make the tackle? It was just who's going to make the tackle.
Speaker 14: I was actually literally fighting my own players on the way down the field, with guys pulling on the back of my jersey trying to slow me down because we were in such a competition to try and.
Speaker 11: Get there, and we still got the job done. So that was a really big thing for me, and I take a lot of pride in.
Speaker 5: That stat Sean Great Cups were of the Lions in ninety four, two thousand. How special was ninety four? I mean the place is packed right down to the wire, Louis kicks it. How good was that well?
Speaker 11: I mean it's hard to overstate.
Speaker 14: It was the culmination of a lot of years of frustration, and you know, even coming up to that point, our battle with Calgary. In my five years in the league, so I started in nineteen ninety and this is five.
Speaker 11: Years later, I had never beaten Calgary, not.
Speaker 14: In preseason, not in regular season, not in postseason, and then to manage to get past them in the Western Final where they have a stacked team. It's Doug, you know, Doug Flutie, you know, all star, amazing athlete, amazing player, you know Supungeus, you know, Pits, all these guys who are just amazing, and somehow we managed to come out on top. It almost felt from that point forward like it was destiny, Like we are going to win this game. You know, the Great Cup comes up. It didn't matter what happened. We just knew we were going to come through, and we kind of essentially willed it because in some ways they were the better team, but they were not going to beat us.
Speaker 5: That day, Sean, how disappointing was it when you found out SFU football went away and you know how important it was to you and you were the first overall pick in the Canadian draft, and boy, it must have been a tough day for you.
Speaker 14: That was really really heartbreaking and challenging to discover that that was the path that they were.
Speaker 11: Going to go.
Speaker 14: And it would have been a you know, a little bit more of a you know better solid on your emotions and your rationale if you could identify what you thought was a reasonable reason for why they're doing this.
Speaker 11: But to me, it doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 14: There was no discussion, there was no opportunity, well, if we could hit this threshold, we could make this happen.
Speaker 11: And it's all at the end of the day.
Speaker 14: These decisions are always money based, no matter what anybody says and what the spin is on it. So tell us the number. Tell me it's fifty million dollars to run the program. And if you hit fifty million dollars, you have a program. But don't tell me that, oh, we just can't do it, and blah blah blah blah, because obviously that's bollocks.
Speaker 11: You've been doing it for decades. It's clearly possible. It's just you don't wish to do it for your own set of reasons. And I think that's the real crime for all the young men and all the young players who would have an opportunity who won't have the opportunity that I did, and the ability to have the impact in their country and on the sport that they choose to play like. I just think that's criminal.
Speaker 3: And quickly, Sean, if you don't want for people who don't know what are you up to these days?
Speaker 11: Oh, I'm doing personal training, so you know, anybody wants.
Speaker 5: To get in.
Speaker 11: Oh girl, Bill Pipes like you've got Doddy.
Speaker 3: That's okay, Okay, I'll give you a call later in the day.
Speaker 5: That's oppressive.
Speaker 11: I've seen you, donn you been still pretty good?
Speaker 3: Thank you. I don't know about the other one there beside you. Okay, he'll give you a call that Sean, Thanks for this, buddy, and congratulations.
Speaker 11: Thank you very much. Appreciate you guys bringing me on.
Speaker 4: You Bet October seventeenth and Hamilton Sean Millington among others getting into the Canadian.
Speaker 5: Football Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: You've got so that was great. You've got some business.
Speaker 5: The world has arrived in Vancouver in pastime sports and games, as you covered when it comes to jersey scarves, another lot collectible celebrating the beautiful game. There's never been a bigger time I'm his biceps.
Speaker 3: Yes, what it is?
Speaker 4: Remind me never to be in a room with Sean Millingken and Rod Brindlemore.
Speaker 5: All right, that's the biggest pipes on our show that we've ever seen. No question, Where was I Ryan? There's never been a bigger set up. Pardon show off your pipes. Team colors led by Canada as a host country. You may also want to honor your favorites in Europe, South Africa, South America, Asia Africa. Your rattling, Now, the pipes rattled me. That's what I'm trying to do. At Trevor Linda's Jim, I can't get there. For more information and store locations, visit Pastime Sports dotsy a laptop.
Speaker 1: Oh that was awesome. That was awesome from the laptop. He spoiler alert, Oh, spoiler alert. Oh, he's got his World Cup goal.
Speaker 12: He's got two of them. In fact, Christiana Ronaldo is the card of the day on the far right, as Portugal is playing at the moment against Uzbekistan. In the middle is the Monopoly Prism World Cup cards. In the far left is the FIFA World Cup official hat, and we should mention that game is in the seventieth minute or sixty fifth minute and Portugal.
Speaker 1: Up four nil at the moment.
Speaker 12: There you go, big day head, pretty big day head, Candida tomorrow uh a Premie Canada tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Of course.
Speaker 4: Versus this yere by sip stupid well, we need a break to regroup here btmz next doney delay the team.
Speaker 3: I check.
Speaker 4: Remember that dead electric leaf blower in the garage, still hoping it'll come back to life.
Speaker 5: Ope? I see is BC's recycling program for battery powered and electric outdoor power equipment.
Speaker 4: Just like other electronics, electric lawn and garden equipment can also be recycled when it reaches the end of its useful life.
Speaker 5: All electric yard duols don't have to end up in the landfill. If you're electric outdoor power equipment can't be fixed, it could be recycled.
Speaker 3: Whether it's a leaf blower, trimmer, or lawnmower. Many can be recycled for free in BC visit op eic dot ca to find a depot near you and recycle responsibly.
Speaker 5: That's opeice dot Ca. It's eleven thirty one on a Tuesday morning. Donnie Dahli on check TV. Now time for DTMs brought to you by the world famous Swisser Golf Club GOCI. Big Al out there, Great.
Speaker 4: Track, Great Track ETMS brought to you by the Arnold Palmer Design was the golf club where Phase three of their golf course renovation is underway. The golf course will reopen for play in the summer of twenty twenty seven. For the latest updates on the renovation, follow them on Instagram at whi's their golf and don't forget their pro shop and driving range are open during the summer. Maybe you can say hi to big Al. Chris Manso up there. We've got time Ryan for a quick story.
Speaker 5: Here we do.
Speaker 4: Super fan Ben Stiller has confirmed he is making a multi part documentary series about the history of the New York Knicks and their hist historic championship win last Weekend in partnership with the NBA HBO A twenty four. The series will chronicle the history, culture, and during legacy of the Knicks culminating with the team's first franchise in fifty three years. Stiller, who admits he'll make use of footage from his own smartphone, is directing. The series will trace the full arc of the franchise from the nineties through the improbable record.
Speaker 3: Breaking run that finally returned a title to New York. The series will.
Speaker 4: Offer unprecedented nb A access, never before seen footage, and a definitive look at one of basketball's most iconic stories. I don't like it, and I'll tell you why, because it's too soon. It needs a little time to burrinate. Maybe ten years from now, I would. I look, all of New York's gonna buy it, and that means it's going to be successful. But I've heard enough about the next It was great, fantastic in all all of that. But it was like when the Boston Red Sox one and O four there was a documentary the next day. I didn't I didn't need to see that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's it's about the history of the team. And the final said, the final chapter is the is.
Speaker 3: This he said from the nineties on. I want to I want to go back. Hopefully he'll go back to Willis Reid and Walt Fraser, Dave de Busher, and Bill Bradley, names that you have no clue about.
Speaker 12: I will say, man sport documentary content is like the most in demand thing going, like everything he's got there behind the scenes series. Now at this point, documentaries are all over the place between Netflix and Prime and Crave like it's just.
Speaker 3: Quite oversatury it is to say it's in demand. I agree with you. I love I love them. When thirty for thirty first came out on ESPN, that.
Speaker 4: To me was the golden era because there wasn't as much choice. And I know it's great to have choice, no question about it, but you could focus on those and to me to this day, some of those documentaries led by the two Escobars and the best that never was Marcus Tupri though, those those ones really sticking. It started with June seventeenth, ninety four.
Speaker 3: Was a great documentary as well. That was part of the thirty for thirty franchise.
Speaker 12: It started with that, then the popularity the Last Dance, and then the popularity of Drive to Survive also, I think really.
Speaker 3: Was what everybody I watched three minutes of that.
Speaker 15: You just don't it's just probably a little too. No, it's a bunch of rich kids. What the same with the golf No way man drive to Survive. I could care less about F one and I really enjoyed that series.
Speaker 3: Said the same thing. Yeah, didn't capture me, but you you relate to that type of crowd, the rich crowd. Yeah, you knew me too.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, I've seen the documentary on Pablo Escobar. What have you seen it, Pablo?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that was part of the Two Escobars.
Speaker 5: I thought, was you're talking about the soccer one. Well, no, talking about the.
Speaker 3: Guy Pablo, the drug lord, drug the late drug.
Speaker 5: I read his book and I watched his documentary.
Speaker 4: And you were part of his Okay, anyway, the Two Escobars. I involved Pablo Escobar.
Speaker 3: It's crazy story exactly do you see it right? I think I did, but overhead shots from the helicopter and he would bring in like Maradonna to play like a pickup game with him, like.
Speaker 1: It was in when it's kind of a remember he gets play in his hockey games stuff like.
Speaker 3: That, and he gets a goals.
Speaker 4: Shockingly, not the Two Escobars. I don't want to go into the story. It's my favorite sports documentary. It's unreal, all right, nobody cares about Nobody cares. Folks out there, check out the two.
Speaker 3: Escobars that documentary, you love it, and check out your one.
Speaker 5: Pablo.
Speaker 3: Did you see is that Narcos?
Speaker 5: That's it? I've seen Narcos too on Netflix. Really good, really good, Ryan Sponsor Music. Let's go enough of Pablo, all right. Look at this guy.
Speaker 3: I liked his bicep.
Speaker 5: Okay. Look at this dunny and all these backscratchers and dental flossymporium in bal Zach, Alberta. This guy was the second round pick of the Leafs in nineteen ninety. Nineteen ninety awarded the Gie Leafler Trophy as Quebec Major Junior Hockey League playoff MVP. Leaf pick, a Leafs pick in his first year in the Minors American Hockey League first All Star team made the Maple Leafs in ninety two finalists for the Rookie of the Year award in the NHL nineteen ninety three, tied Kirk McLain's then NHL record most wins in October with nine.
Speaker 3: Felix puffin Ah, how'd.
Speaker 5: You get that? I'm not I haven't even said, how'd you get that?
Speaker 3: It's my era, baby, Kirk.
Speaker 5: Mc As soon as I said Kirk McClain, I knew I was in trouble.
Speaker 1: You'd see he had trouble with one of the goals.
Speaker 3: Adams.
Speaker 1: Adams, Well, pop fan had trouble with me.
Speaker 5: You know what.
Speaker 3: The first thing that comes to mind when it comes to Felix Pott fan good vines no his fight with Ron hextell no.
Speaker 5: Good and he did well.
Speaker 3: He did well shopping the puck. Maybe not about but he had a good run.
Speaker 5: And Canucks acquired him in ninety nine, but he didn't last here very long. This guy is unbelievable. I love this guy. Undrafted player would play a thousand games in the NHL. In the OHL for Kingston, he had thirty seven points fourteen games. His team went off. His team was a finalist in the Memorial Cup Kingston. You know, well he helped. He helped the Bruins win the Stanley Cup twice. He would play in a line with Phil Esposito and Ken Hodge. He was a tough guy who could score and with Wayne cash Shah. I knew it. I knew as soon as I said, tough guy who could score. He protected Esposito and Bobby or He with Don Cherry's favorite Wayne Cashman seventy two Team Canada Summit series Wayne Cashman. He was so good. He was so fun to watch. In the Boston Garden.
Speaker 4: Is a great story of Wayne Cashman on the bus with the Boston Bruins where he did something I can't talk about.
Speaker 3: It's in Esposito's book.
Speaker 5: Really good, really, really good player. It was fun to watch, specially year you're twelve, especially in the garden. All right, This superstar soccer player began his career at the age of fourteen. FIFA World Cup Player of the Year nineteen ninety eight, two two thousand and three, two thousand and two Champions League Final scored a left foot vollied winner.
Speaker 1: Is it Beckham?
Speaker 5: Eh?
Speaker 1: What Beckham?
Speaker 5: No? Scored? Will you let me finish? A left foot vollied winner that is considered one of the greatest schools in football history, not soccer history, football history. In three won the ninety eight feet for World Cup scoring a brace wait year, not two thousand and two, two thousand and three, nineteen ninety eight the Golden Ball. He received the Golden Ball. Let me phrase him. He was John Millington alre terry who terry on ray, hold on check, No, let me finish this. He was Whearing, a Golden ball player of the tournament. In two thousand and six World Cup, he won the balloon do de Lord World Cup goalscorer fourth most the same thing, the fourth most cap player in French history. Zendin zadan bo. As soon as I said, I kept French way to set ahead, but I got hide away. As soon as I said, I kept French away from you guys, because I knew you wouldn't get it. All right, This guy, I'll tell you boys. Sixth round pick of Ottawa on two thousand and one, played two years in Seattle Thunderbird's Western Conference, first All Star team, silver medal for the Canada at the World Juniors in two thousand and three. Traded from Ottawa to Washington, a part of the Peter Bondra trade. His philosophy on scoring was if you want money, go to the bank. If you want brad, go to bakery. If you want goals, go to the net. He was famous for saying that, and neither Ryan or I've heard that, But sure you guys haven't heard that phrase. It's out there. At the time of his trade to Toronto, he was the longest tenured active professional Washington Area athlete. Spent twelve years with the Capitals. Bruce Boudreau called him the hardest working Capital that year. Capital is Jim Brian McLelland said, toughest thing. Looks like Brooks Like. And he's married to Juliana Huff. Uh. He married professional dancer and actress Julianna Hoff. Yeah, she was. They're divorced now, no, but he married laughing dancer and actress Juliana Huff.
Speaker 3: Of times you divorce a person you marry.
Speaker 5: Dancing with the stars. Yeah, there you go, Brooks Like Seattle. Thunderbird's down the highway? Good player?
Speaker 3: Okay, is it just me? He's coming up?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: I love this band, The late Miles Goodwin Born of this Day.
Speaker 5: What a you?
Speaker 1: Sorry? It's what I thought I thought it was.
Speaker 5: You're rattled by Mellington.
Speaker 1: I said, I thought it's in twenty seconds. It was ten seconds.
Speaker 3: There you go, The late Miles Goodwin Balls Today nineteen forty eight. He and April Wine are going to play this out February eighty one. In the album Nature of the beast. This is Canada's April whining. Just between you and me.
Speaker 4: You remember this on check the best of the Great White North on a BC Tuesday morning.
Speaker 5: Is it just me?
Speaker 3: You know what's next? Turn?
Speaker 1: I love that same straw, good hat.
Speaker 4: Three foot hot dogs, postgame fireworks Friday noons, and the future Toronto Blue Jays right in your backyard. Catch a Vancouver Canadians game this summer as they celebrate seventy five years at nap Bailey Stadium. For tickets, promotions and more information, visit Canadians Baseball dot com or.
Speaker 3: Call six oh four eight seven to two, five two, three to two. Today.
Speaker 5: A new era is underway, and RBC is proud to be the newest partner of your Vancouver Canucks says we write this next chapter. Starting next season, RBC clients they will get exclusive access to private entrances, in game perks, and enhanced experiences at all home games, bringing you closer to the Canucks experiences you love the most. Stay tuned for more details out of the twenty twenty six twenty twenty seven home opener, proudly presented by RBC. Your ideas happened here at RBC.
Speaker 4: Is it just me brought to you by OPEIC Outdoor Power Equipment Institute of Canada.
Speaker 3: Did you know you can recycle.
Speaker 4: Electric lawn and garden equipment for free no charge. Visit OPEIC dot ca to get more INFU.
Speaker 5: That's ope IC dot Ca. Rick, all right? Is it just me or the Canucks gonna make the same stupid mistakes always did? On draft? A drafting small easy to play against players, so we can wallow in the same misery we've been the last fourteen fifteen years. No name to that submission, but it's a It's a good submission in the sense that I would like to see size at this draft and Canadian born players at this draft. It wouldn't it would it would help? And he's right, they're too easy to play against.
Speaker 3: Boy, I can't begin to count the amount of submissions we get in the bayside inbox with that same sort of thought that, Okay, maybe you're not going to win a lot of games, but don't be don't be easy to play against. They want they want some more toughness, they better get it.
Speaker 14: Uh?
Speaker 3: Is it just me jeeves in Surrey?
Speaker 4: But there should be a thirty for thirty doc about the time Jennifer Mayther's called ten yell at Pratt.
Speaker 3: Well, that was something else was that I was in the studio.
Speaker 5: For that and I got I got it a couple of weeks later that that was a big story.
Speaker 4: I remember that this was on the air though, Well, I know for call and I've been saying this for a long time and you ignore me, and Ryan and Derek ignores me as well.
Speaker 3: I would love to go back to having phone calls on talk show.
Speaker 4: Its like on this show, and I just think it's old school, and somebody will always say to me, you know, you can't have that. It's just the four or five crazy people to go, so what that's fun?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I miss those days.
Speaker 4: And of course, and that one particular day, one of the people calling up was Jennifer Mathers, who at the time newscaster, friend of mine, oh.
Speaker 3: Wife of Brian Burke, who Pratt was criticizing, and Jennifer let him have it. It was Radio Gold.
Speaker 5: It was Radio Gold, and the Globe Mail did a story on that. Is it just me or if it's not an NHL Hall of Fame, shouldn't Paul Henderson walk right in speaking to Day Pratt, Yeah, Dave and Cedar Nobody champion Paul Henderson to be in the Canadian Hall of Fame, No, the NHL Hall of Fame more than day.
Speaker 1: Pratt Hockey Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: Yeah Dave.
Speaker 4: Always make the point that vlanis left Chetchiak, the guy on the ice with the puck behind.
Speaker 3: Him, was in the Hall of Fame. Remember that, and Paul Henderson wasn't. This is from Dwight. Is it just me? But what do you call a millennial vehicle anti theft device? Answer? Standard transmission. This is directed Ryan who's never driven a stick.
Speaker 5: There's never in his life even I know how to drive stick. I mean, like, are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Like, okay, so tell me what are we looking at? I learned on the floor ten percent of vehicles on the road excluding work trucks vehicles on the road standard five percent. Like that's that's great. You can drive stick. You know, it's something that you're not going to need to know how to do.
Speaker 3: Okay, And I I agree with you. But here I'm I am in Rick the same way, just looking out for you because it's.
Speaker 1: Fun, more valuable.
Speaker 3: It's fun to drive more valuable.
Speaker 1: You're missing fun more valuable knowing how to drive a standard heading along no no, or being about being tech savvy and knowing how to watch that not even close things that not even close.
Speaker 5: Standard's great except by pale scares the hell out of me. Okay, and I'll pale as hard, especially if it's two when you're learning and when you're learning up pale standard. Oh my god, it is hard.
Speaker 3: One of my boys just bought the read just brought ustack right there.
Speaker 5: See that right there. There's ten cars out there. There's stick cars out there. Ryan, Okay, we gotta go. Okay, we gotta go. Okay.
Speaker 3: Right by the way, Lion's playing a Klona this weekend, Calgary weekend.
Speaker 5: After that, can they better get going to get a victory?
Speaker 4: O in two lines, speaking of Sean Millington, Yeah, as we bring up his name once again, break, I will wrap up the show and the poll question. Next Donnie tell her the team launt you.
Speaker 7: The BC Construction Safety Alliance is a not for profit association that makes safety simpler by providing health and safety services and programs to more than fifty seven thousand construction employers and two hundred and twenty thousand workers. Across the province. We want to bring the bc csa safety message directly to your job site. Book a free visit from the BCCSA Safety on Tour Mobile Trailer. Safety on Tour's instructor guides your workers through a series of dynamic safety demonstrations, from the effectiveness of fall arrest systems to the power of proper head protection at now to book a memorable Safety on Tour experience at Safety Ontour dot CA.
Speaker 5: Dog Pole, Ryan, get her up here, the waddling dog up pop pole.
Speaker 3: Question man, it is.
Speaker 5: Are you confident the cannects will trade a veteran would turn between now in July? First sixty four percent yes, but thirty six percent say no. What Why are you laughing? Eh?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, your mic is out of popping or turned towards your mouth the other way. How long have you been in business?
Speaker 5: What's wrong? Is it popping?
Speaker 3: It's better now.
Speaker 1: You just sounded like you have like some helium in your mouth or something.
Speaker 5: Here's weird, the helium balloons. Who hasn't done that?
Speaker 3: Not the balloon, but the helium.
Speaker 5: Okay, what are we doing here? We got a photo. You're still not weird?
Speaker 1: You've done so.
Speaker 3: You're closer to your mouth.
Speaker 5: Hello, test test, test test, Well, I gotta do the test. So we got a photo right yeah, Before we get to that, I gotta say this, Bainsye and Burnaby made a donation for Donny and Dolly at the Canucks for Kimping on behalf so and there is no better place to donate than the Canucks for Kids fund. So thank you very much Bainsye and Burnaby.
Speaker 3: And a photo.
Speaker 5: And where we're going? Und I see water?
Speaker 1: You tell us where this is.
Speaker 5: This is a longtime fan of the show. It is my trip. Here's a pick of me and my recent trip to you selet with the backdrop of the inlet from the condo.
Speaker 3: Lived in BC. Okay, honestly, okay, this is who a Blaine?
Speaker 1: Blaine Blaine.
Speaker 5: Look at this, Look look at the back, Look at that tree right there. Look at that.
Speaker 3: Blaine, the expression on his face. He just took a look at Millington's bicep.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's Blaine and he's got our new Uh you clue it, Donny and Dolly?
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, you you can't.
Speaker 5: That's karma. That's karma for ripping me quarter zip. How do you say it?
Speaker 9: You.
Speaker 5: Hey, stop right, stop right there yourself. Anyways, Hey, Blaine, thank you for sending that and his trip. What a beautiful, beautiful, beautiful photo.
Speaker 3: How are we doing on a time photo?
Speaker 1: We got one more photo, Derek, you want to show that one?
Speaker 5: We got there? So Sean Millington, how old is he know? He's got to be in his fifties. He's got to be in his fifties.
Speaker 1: He is the most in shape guest we've ever had.
Speaker 5: You know who else did that? And no, no, no, no, Donny would know. Tom Europe the line safety went into this and Tom was unbelievable as well.
Speaker 3: The last ten pounds was the name of his show.
Speaker 5: Yeah really Tommy. Yeah, he was a great Canadian safety for the lines for many years. But these are arms you will never see on me.
Speaker 3: Hey never, Derek, eliminate that please because Rick, but just but I.
Speaker 5: End up going to the gym today. Anyways, you need it to be like, hey to all of us.
Speaker 3: Long retired, look at it looking great?
Speaker 4: Thanks to Sean and congrats to him for getting into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: Uh Van City Brown?
Speaker 5: Is it just me?
Speaker 3: But this is for Ryan?
Speaker 4: A lot more cars in Europe and Asia are manual shift. Remember that when booking a rental car.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. Put that in your pipe.
Speaker 12: I was talking locally here, how many and that Europe's not local. Somebody pointed out motorcycles as well being standard.
Speaker 1: That's fair. Uh again sure if you to learn that? Know now, it would make no sense to me to learn how to drive a standard at this day and age. Why because every new car you're buying is not a stand Don't.
Speaker 3: You want to experience left some power?
Speaker 1: Are two young kids, you know what?
Speaker 3: I think?
Speaker 1: Some time to learn how to drive standard like years though?
Speaker 5: It was fun, there was a sense of power. It was good.
Speaker 1: Well you do feel like you know, you can do like the little motion.
Speaker 3: You feel more in control of the car and it's better on gas. But that's my understanding. Yeah, I think I had four or five in a row. Yeah, loved it all right, we'll talk see see if we can set you up. We need a car sponsor on behalf of Thanks for watching, everybody, I'll be half of riot, Derek Rick.
Speaker 4: Everybody here at O boy and check I'm done and you're up to dating world of sports.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly Podcast. Be sure to follow us on Twitter at Donnie and Dolly for all the latest show content.