Speaker 1: Adventist Radio London. Inspiration for the song.
Speaker 2: Discussion as always with me is Angela. I was about to say Pedro, but Pedro's just stuck out, so with me and Pedro's got some business to take care of, is Angela. Thank you so much Angela for staying and I wanted to know how you're weak has been and say hello to the folk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good evening and welcome to Talking Points. Yeah, it's been it's been a busy week. I think this is like it feels like the story of my life, constantly busy and been feeling really quite tired actually, but I think maybe it's just quite Maybe it's just the weather as well. We've had a lot of rain this week and a bit on and off I think as well. There's been this been a few kind of days of sunshine, which kind of thinks, oh, actually, maybe it's not quite so bad after all, and then suddenly there's like a downpour. So I've been caught and caught out a couple of times, even though I am want to carry all my bits and pieces of my umbrella and everything.
Speaker 2: But I was just gonna say, I mean, you're you're my desert Island person.
Speaker 1: Really but you know what kind of there was, like it comes it almost takes you really by surprise, before you before you know it, before you've even got your umbrella up. You know, you're kind of staking way. But yeah, but yeah, but apart from you know, so it's been a busy week, but a good week, I guess. But yeah, we're glad it's kind of come to the end and the weekend again, you know, I know we say this most weeks. I feel really shocked that this year has flown past. And in my mind I'm thinking, we're at the end of the year, almost at the end of the year already, you know.
Speaker 2: And we are, we are almost. It's I mean, when I start counting down to Christmas, people scream at me, well, we really are on the countdown, Yah, Christmas, and you know to twenty twenty five. Who I mean, honestly, God's willing. Of course, we don't want to take anything for granted, but my goodness, the year has flown and yeah, we're about to discuss twenty twenty five, believe it.
Speaker 1: Or not, which is which is Yeah, it's wild, but you know, another week has passed. Thankful to have made it through safely and here we are another week, and yeah, looking forward to today's conversation. Yeah as always, as always.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we time to have some very deep and meaningful discussions here and talking point. And I mean, I know we've had feedback from our listeners of the same. They've really garnered a lot from the programs, and I hope that we can continue in that same vein as we continue to plan and put programs together. But yeah, I think maybe it's for doing weekly programs and monthly programs that it just does feel that the time flies. And yeah, here we are on the cusp of another year. To be honest, but my week has been good. I've got a slight headache, and I think that's maybe I'm not drinking enough water. Some days better than others. But thankful for or another week, and thankful for his blessings, his showers, even you know, the sunshine. It's been a mixed bag really throughout summer, if you want to call it that.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's continuing throughout the next on this new season. Just mixed bag of sunshine and rain and cold and mild weather, and it's difficult to dress for it. And obviously people are coming down with colds and flus at this time of year, so just be vigilant, vitamins and all that good stuff.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say another, I was gonna say outbreak, whether that's not the right word went I went past as that. But COVID is making a bit of a resurgence to gain with another strain. Quite a few people then recently have actually you know, got COVID again testing again. It's like, oh, here we are. So I think, you know, the idea of wearing a face mask will be maybe something I'm going to probably start doing as well. Kind of back on public transport again coming into London and just yeah, everybody's people. People go to be coughing and spluttering around you. So and I think the.
Speaker 2: Things that we did, maybe not in the height of the pandemic, but the things that we do to keep you know, keep well, we should continue to do, you know, be mindful with your coughing and sneezing, covering and washing or that others should never really go out the window and we shouldn't become complacent at all. So yeah, we do need to take care of ourselves and be mindful of others. Absolutely absolutely well. Waiting patiently as always in the wings is our no stranger to Talking Point, author, speaker, psychotherapist, and honorary Talking Point member. And I like to throw that in there. And then she's accepted the cap or not, I'm not sure, but she rears it well and it's a pleasure to have you. Thank you for accepting our invitation, Allison, and you're back with us to talk bringing down strongholds with concluding the conversations that we started, believe it or not, at the beginning of the year. And we've run through a number of topics for persons who have missed them. You've missed something, go find them on speaker dot com. You can find those and a library of our recorded programs. But Allison, thank you for joining us. How are you doing, I'm doing I'm doing good. Thank you, Senia, Thank you Angela for having me back. It's good to be back. I love our discussions. I love how stimulating they are. So hopefully today promises to be another enjoyable, stimulating conversation. Good to be back. Thank you, Thank you for coming, thank you for accepting our invitation. As always right, So let's pray and then we'll come back and we'll sort of tie everything together and launch into our conversation. Definitely, Father, thank you for another week, thank you for another sabbath, Thank you for all that you've done. We are grateful for your mercies that are renewed every morning.
Speaker 1: Lord.
Speaker 2: As we are about to launch into another deep and possibly triggering conversation, we want to ask that your Holy spirit rain completely and you take charge in Jesus' name. Amen and Amen Amen.
Speaker 3: Amen.
Speaker 2: Gee, you reminded me we did this offline, but you've reminded me that there's a lot of interesting days coming up. Or we've had mental health. We're in a stay ten ten and obviously it's Black History Months, and so we're talking mental health, we're talking black history. We're talking it all really and trying to tie in our conversation tonight. The theme for Black History Month is reclaiming your Narrative.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'reclaiming narratives. So really it's about I guess that's to do with recognizing and correcting the stories of our black history and our culture. I mean, there's so much within that, and I've been seeing some quite interesting takes on that and some interesting, you know, events that are happening. But I guess sometimes you know, we're told different stories, or our stories I feel like been eradicated or told in a very different ways. Sometimes, you know, people aren't necessarily knowing their true history or their true selves or what have you, and you know, they're not being taught that. And I kind of sometimes think the generations that are coming and maybe seeing things less and less, they're understanding things less and less. You know, the stories aren't being told, and I think it's really important that we do highlight those stories, highlight those people, highlight those pioneers, highlight those heroes, you know, from the times past right up to the present, future and the future going forward, so that actually we can really recognize our and be proud of our culture and our heritage and those people have walked towards us, which I think what bring is quite nice into our topic as well today because we're talking about dealing with rejection, and I think rejection can come in so many different ways that sometimes actually does change the narratives of our story and our history, whether that's for ourselves or as a kind of you know, from a cultural perspective, we recognize our places within society and how people are viewed in different ways, so I think that will tie quite nice. And so the idea of claiming your self and your story and your history is a really important one. And similarly, it's was World Mental Health Day this week as well, and interestingly they the thing for this year celebrates on every year the tenth of October is actually to highlight the importance of addressing mental health with your workplace. And obviously that you know, again for most of us we are working, and most of us we are relating to people. You know, it's good, you know, so dealing with your mental health is an important thing because if things are not great within the workplace, that has actually have a really big impact on your mental health. And I guess linking in you as yourself for some so many people, you know, they work as a means to an end. So to try to have kind of a positive environment that they work in, a positive experience with their work is really important. But again, the challenges that they may be facing could be because they may feel rejected in their workplaces. They may feel rejected as people, they're not able to bring their authentic selves to their situation. And also, I mean, I'm saying that people going into work, our workplaces have become our homes have become our workplace as well, So again how we position ourselves within our homes and how we can kind of balance everything is really important as well. So yeah, we love to speak about mental health on this program. It's definitely, you know, something that we want to highlight consistently and constantly. And you know, the rais of the importance of having conversations and not being afraid of dealing with and speaking about mental health difficulties. And you know, throughout this series that we've done with Alison, you know, there's so many barriers, the strongholds that have kind of hinder us and you know, stop us sometimes from you know, having full productive lives. You know, again different there's different angles and different perspectives on it. Ultimately, and by God's grace and with his help and recognizing who we are in God's eyes as well, can help us with that. So yeah, there's a kind of LinkedIn quite nicely in some ways. You know, it's funny actually because sometimes you know, some of these things you forget sometimes how much is intertwined with each other. You know, we are who we are as people wantously it's Black History Month, and you know what that spans and what that represents our mental health. It's all linked in. Everything we do is going to affect us. So yeah, So there's a couple of things that have been that are happening this month, and there are a few things for October. We all come to those for future shows as well.
Speaker 2: So because we want to, we want to maybe do an entire show surrounding Black History Month, and that's something in the in the process of planning. So hopefully we can put all the players in place. Oh saw my peas there tank Twister. But yes, we are looking to do a program fully on that topic and hopefully we can get that off the ground. And you know what, it's Black History Months. But this is a conversation that we really should be having all year round and every opportunity. Similarly, mental health we do that well. And Allison, we were speaking again, I believe this was offline about how relationships and we're talking about rejection, we're talking about narratives, and naturally we're talking about mental health because it mental health really just intertwines with every aspect of our life, every facet of our life. And I don't know if you want to dip into it now or we do that later. But we were talking about how much of this topic in particular sort of resonates with you, and Angela alluded to that that you've written a book dealing specifically about relationships in the workplace, and so that's something that we hopefully bring you on again. Goodness, don't get sick of us. We hopefully bring you back on again to discuss in more detail and maybe we can do a deep dive there. But rejection, mental health, it's just relationships. It's just something that you know, you tackle, you address, you notice, you recognize, and it brings for really deep thinking and kind of understanding your place in all of it. So, yeah, looking forward to the presentation and looking forward to kind of unpacking that. But tell us a little bit about how how this particular topic. So it's bringing down strongholds as we've touched on on on several issues. We've touched on anxiety, stress and worry, we've touched on depression, we've touched on trauma. But you said to me that rejection really opened up, you know, other opportunities. It's also you know, lent itself to a book. I hope I'm not running ahead of myself, but it's also something that you kind of dealt with personally. Share a little bit of insight on that before we go into the presentation, if you don't.
Speaker 3: Mind, Okay, thanks Anya. Yes, rejection really is. It's a big topic. It's a big topic for for most people, but it's a huge topic for me. You know. The book I've just finished and it's been it's been kind of it's going to be published by Stanbroke Press and hopefully that's going to be out soon. So I was actually commissioned by the press to to write on dealing with rejection on the back of this series. So they picked up Rejection. And you know, when I was asked to write this this book and it's you know, practical steps to dealing with rejection, I thought, oh my goodness, of all the topics that I have talked about, you know, actually, when I was preparing to do the series, this topic was the one that really took its toll on me because I have faced rejection really harshly in my life, within my within family, in the work place, with you know, socially, and so I've got very painful stories to tell about, you know, how I have experienced rejection, a lot of which is actually in the book that's going to be published by Stanboro Press. So yes, it did.
Speaker 1: It did.
Speaker 3: It's almost like, you know, I thought, well, you know, I've done the series, I've talked about all of these things, but it's almost like God had some more work for me to do on myself on this topic. And you know, it's been by far one of the probably the most painful topics for me because it's it's taken me to places where I've been triggered. I've had to kind of reflect and think about my rejection. But I've also been very grateful, right because I have been able to see how I got enabled me to thrive, even in the face of doors being shut in my face, so I could spend the whole evening I it'd probably be you feel free when the book's out to come back and that you talk about that book. But rejection, rejection really is a grassroot problem because people are abundant. Because people are rejected, they go through depression, they go through anxiety. All of the things that we've talked about that have people have anger problems, trauma, low self worth, all of those All of these things can stem from rejection, rejection. So rejection is really a grassroot problem. It's one of those things that causes havoc in relationships and we end up kind of kind of having difficulties with how we relate with ourselves, and sometimes we are self rejecting as well. So it's a huge topic. It's one that's taking me on the journey and one that's exposed a lot of a lot of strength that I have as well as a lot of vulnerabilities that I have as well. And I'm sure that probably as we talk about it this evening and as we read the book eventually when it's published in a few months time, we will be able to relate to our own journeys of rejection and maybe be thankful for the redirection that rejection has brought into in our lives. So yes, it's a huge topic. We all experience it, We will all experience it at some point. We will at times be rejecting of other people as well. But I think a lot of it depends on how we respond to it and how harsh that rejection is and who that rejection is from. So yes, it's a big topic and I'm looking forward to talking about it in the spirit of talking about black history. We know that as a race, you know, black people have experienced rejection in so many ways, and you know we could be here talking about that all evening as well. So it's got a mental health dimension and it's got a black history dimension, which are all relevant to the show this month and today.
Speaker 2: Perfect Alison, Well, why don't I just let you continue and just take us through the presentation.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, So we're just gonna do a bit of recap. It's been it's been a times a heavy going series, one where we've learnt a lot, we've shared a lot. But just by way of recap, we started off with an introduction to the series, bringing down Strongholds, and we just talked about what strongholds are. We talked about where this series has come from. We'll have a look at the text, which is from Second Corinthians, Chapter ten, verses three to five, and it says, for though we walk in the flesh, we do not walk against the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty in God, for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments, and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ. So that's been the key text, the key key scripture that we focused on throughout the series. And when we talked about the strongholds, when we did the first session, we talked about the fact that you know, Paul was this was in the Book of Corinthians. So Paul was writing to the people of Corinth, which is an in Greek city, and he used the analogy of a stronghold, a very strong fortress that was used to strategize for war, and he used that to talk to really describe what spiritual strongholds can look like. And in that he was kind of thinking about strongholds having very high, fortified walls, and he compared the walls to the walls of lies that kind of build in our minds when we go through difficult experiences and we tend to take on negative thoughts and negative beliefs or believe in lies that will hold us down and stop us from growing, from progressing, from meeting our full potential. And then within these strongholds, you'd have towers, and you'd have towers where you know, people would kind of gather together and strategy eyes and think about how to fight their opponent, and these towers he likened to our imagination, so unhelpful imagination. So if you think about like walls of lies and imagination, that's unhelpful. And then within the towers, you know, you'd normally typically have captains who would then do the strategizing and try to bring down the enemy. And he likened that to the captive thoughts that we have in our minds when we're held in a stronghold. So a stronghold can be kind of something that protects us, but in this context always talking about what the enemy kind of designs to hold us captive or to bring us down. So when we talk about a stronghold, we're thinking about a fortified place, but we're also thinking about are from a spiritual perspective, where a particular cause or belief is strongly held. We're talking about wards of resistance in the mind. We're talking about arguments that are raised against the truth, the character and the knowledge of God, and a fortress that lies in the mind, including maybe things that are factually true, but that things that are not necessarily the truth, as in the what's written in God's words, anything that's an obstacle to our wholesome purpose, growth and fulfillment in life and anything that holds us captive. So in the very first session, we talked about what strongholds are, and then we went on to talk about worry, fear, and anxiety as a stronghold, and we talked about, you know, some of the kind of symptoms for anxiety and how that can manifest us a stronghold. We went on after that to talk about depression and how that looks medically and how that looks as a stronghold. And then we talked about knowing your wealth and this is about self worth and how low self worth can manifest as a stronghold. And then we went on to talk about trauma and that was that was quite heavy going and how trauma can be a stronghold. And here we are today talking about rejection. But I want to suggest that rejection can cause us to experience anxiety, worry, year depression, trauma, low self worth, anger, all sorts of things. So that's why it's such a it's such a big topic. So I just want to kind of ask the question just for people to think when we talk about rejection, what what do we actually mean by rejection and how how have people seen it manifested really in life. One of the things that springs to mind is I think about I don't know if people came across the story of a young I think she was about ten years old. She was a young athlete who performed I think it was somewhere in Ireland, and after they did the performance, medals were being given out to a group of young girls about the same age, and this young black ten year old and I'm using this example. That many examples, and we'll talk about some of them, but I'm using this one being Black History Month, because she was the only black child in that group of athletes, and when the medals were being given out, she was passed over. And the rejection that this child felt. Actually, if you watched the clip, you noticed straight away how that seemed. And you know, the trauma potentially that this child might might experience or might have experienced. Obviously, that's something that's going to be edged in her mind for a long time. But even when there was an up roa, nobody was willing to kind of own up or apologize or say, well, okay, you know, we we missed we missed this girl. It was the wrong thing to do. When her mother complained, nothing was done about it until there was a social until it went viral on social media, and so many people talked about it. So this this rejection wasn't only felt by this young girl, obviously it was felt by her mother, her family, but anybody who has experienced a similar, similar type of kind of rejection was being triggered as well. So that's just one example. So I don't know, you know, people have apply for jobs and get rejection letters. People ask for certain favors and get denied, that get denied. I mean, we experience rejection all the time, sometimes on a very intense scale, but other times in very kind of regular, day to day ways that we are all aware of. So what does it mean to be rejected. It can mean being dismissed, It can mean being on the mind, It can mean not being validated, being turned down, not being accepted, being pushed away. So normally it involves one person being intentional about not including another person. So it's often a conscious decision to reject somebody. And there's so many reasons why people reject other people. But from the time when we're born, from the time when we're conceived and we are babies. We can either experience rejection from the very people who are supposed to be providing the validation, the law of the security, the support, and for many many people they go through rejection from their primary caregivers. We have what we call attachment styles, and we've got there's four main attachment styles. We've got the secure attachment style, which is where a parent or a caregiver is actually quite supportive and emotionally available for the child, and so that child has a positive relational kind of model or template, and so they grow up in a secure environment thinking feeling safe in the world and feeling like, yes, that it's fine to trust people. The world is a safe, safe place and relationships are safe. But then we also have ambivalence or preoccupied anxious attachment, and this is where the caregiver or the parent is inconsistent with their affection for the child. So then what then happens is that the child has a negative self image. They will seek attention then by sometimes all act top, sometimes they'll exaggerate their emotions. But what's happening for this child in their minds is that they're being rejected, right, And so they will try to find a way to be accepted by the caregiver or by the parent. Another attachment style is the avoidant attachment style, and this is where the caregiver is outright rejecting, very critical nothing the child does or says is good enough. And what happens to the child is that they're having negative relational model and see themselves as unworthy or unacceptable. In the child's mind that being rejected, they don't feel that they're good enough. They think they're defective. Some thing's got to be wrong with them, because the way children and young people think, they don't see the adults as the one having the problem. They see themselves as the ones with the problem. And then lastly we've got the disorganized attachment style. This is where the caregiver is abusive and then the child becomes fearful, aggressive, lacks empathy, and generally feels unsafe in relationships. So, out of the four attachment styles out there three attachment styles that point to the child or the young person being rejected. So, as we can see, there's a lot of rejection around us, rejection in our narrative, and sadly, for a lot of people that's happening in the various spaces where they're supposed to feel safe and validated and accepted. And so what happens when people are rejected? What's the impact of kind of poor attachment or rejection on the individual even as they grow up to become an adult. The person with the secure attachment will be confident, will be reciprocal in relationships, will be resilient, will feel safe in relationship, and will be quite balanced. Somebody who has an anxious, preoccupied, ambivalent attachment style will be kind of fantasizing, emotionally hungry, trying to seek attention. They will have turbulence in their emotional journey, and they'll be lacking the kind of nurturing that they need, and so they'll experience a lot of instability in relationship. Somebody who's had an avoidant or dismissive attachment style is likely to isolate themselves, to be quite ambivalent, emotionally distant, wanting to have a connection with people, but then not feeling like they can trust anybody. So these people can tend to be very independent, will probably do things for other people, but will not allow other people in because they're fearful that they're going to be rejected, and then the fearful or avoidant attachment where there's a lot of maybe abuse, physical abuse, emotional sexual abuse. That person's going to grow up with a lot of internal conflict. There's going to be a lot of drama, there's going to be a lot of unpredictable behavior. Again, ambivalent, and people like this tend to try to escape, right. So sometimes when you see people who are addicted to kind of substances alcohol, drugs, there trying to escape or anything else for that matter, maybe trying to escape these chaos that they have been used to. So you know, we can see that whether or not we're accepted from childhood has an impact on how we behave relationally day to day and has an impact on how we respond to respond to things that happen around us. So what are some ways or areas in life that we can experience rejection? Just think about it for yourself. You know so many ways in which we can experience rejection. I would say, we all have a story, and I just want to kind of talk about David. I think a lot of people know of David in the Bible. If at least you know the story of David don't goliave. David was rejected on many levels. He was rejected by his family when when there was an audition for a king and his dad had to present all of his children, David was held back and he wasn't presented as a candidate because they didn't think that he was either good enough he was ready. So that's like a form of rejection where he was past passed over. He was rejected by his brothers when there was the contests of the battle between David and Goliath, and before that, you know, his brothers had been faced with fighting this giant, and you know, he turns up and his brothers just say, go away. You know, who do you think you are? You can't do anything. So he was just dismissed as insignificant. He was rejected at work. He was rejected by King Saul when he actually offered to fight for Liar. He just wasn't actually regarded as anything. And then eventually when he fought and won and he was being celebrated by the people who said, well, David has killed his ten thousand, then Saul has killed his one thousand. Saul got obviously jealous and tried to kill him. So it didn't matter what he did at work. He wasn't he was he was rejected. So he was rejected by his family, he was rejected by his brothers, he was rejected that work, was rejected by his spouse. David eventually had the task of reclaiming the Act of the Covenant and bringing that back to Jerusalem. And you know when he brought it back, there was a lot of celebrating, he was dancing, and his wife just basically made it full of him. Instead of encouraging him and celebrating with him, she rejected him. So that's David's story. That's like a kind of like high level overview of some of the ways in which he was rejected. And I guess at this point, I'm thinking, what's your own story, what's your own story? How have you been rejected?
Speaker 2: Yes, as always food for thought there and already very heavy hitting, already very heavy hitting my own, if I may, my own rejection story. I mean, like you said, I think everybody has one, and perhaps most of our most of us have more than one rejection story, as David did. I mean, probably rejected on all levels from someone at some point. And I'm supposing that when we get onto the meat of the matter, we'll discover how these differences may impact how we react, how we rebound. But I'm just thinking rejection from potential suitors, rejection from from jobs that you know, I thought I was a shoe in for. I thought I was up next for the promotion, didn't get it, Rejection for opportunities that I thought I deserved. I mean, the list is very, very long. But what maybe even scares me here is that you're saying that rejection, even at childhood stage, could have such an impact on your trajectory as a parent. I look at that and I think, oh my goodness, where would Jay say, as my son, I sit on that, on that list, and really, is there redemption after you have maybe been rejection, have witnessed or not witness but experience rejection at that level. Is there any way forward? And I really look forward to hearing that because so many may have that story of being rejected very very early on, rejected from their primary caregivers, rejected when they didn't even do anything wrong, didn't do anything to deserve it, and that's had an impact on them so many years on, and maybe they have no chance of correcting it, of rectifying it. Maybe parents have moved on, you know, all that kind of stuff, and I'm just like, as a parent, that's hit home for me, and maybe it's done that for the parents listening. But how to make sure that we're creating that space for our children at those tender ages beyond? You know, I'm talking about growing up, grown up, rejection jobs, all that kind of business that I've experienced. But really you can take it all the way back and you could be talking about a child and their mother, you know, and not getting that support from very from that very beginning, and that can set them up for failure. But god, I don't know if that.
Speaker 3: But god, but.
Speaker 2: I don't know what what's you I see you nodding your head probably, but yeah, it's your take on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting because actually one of the things the thoughts that came to mind was, and I was gonna say, Alison, in your work, you know, people come with the challenges that they're currently facing. I wonder whether people recognize the underlying causes that you said, you know, rejection is like, you know, a ground root course. It's almost like it's actually said can start from I guess whenever, But I wonder whether you know, I suppose once you work with somebody on reflection, they you know, you may realize that actually it has been something it has been a form of rejection of whatever it was that actually is really now impacted. But I wonder whether people actually recognize it as that, you know, So I'm curious to kind of yeat to know whether that's actually they see it as being rejectioned or is it a lot more when you kind of delve in a little bit more that you think are actually maybe that's what it was.
Speaker 3: I think I can say it obviously as a therapist, I can see, I can, I can, I can connect a lot of things to rejection, but no, most people don't. And I just want to say that this whole rejection thing really started from the fall. So it's a it's a weapon that the enemy uses to really bring down people and and you know, make people feel a sense of isolation. It's exactly what he did to add a man if when he convince them that, you know, God just doesn't want you to be as good as him. So there was a kind of there's a sense of you know, ida'm and if feeling well be rejected there and that's what that's the seed that he sows in a lot of our relationships, and you know, that makes our relationships. Some of our relationships fall apart. People don't often and it becomes a vicious cycle because when you're rejected, it's likely that you will reject others as well. And then the impact of that rejection is felt very deeply. And when we're talking about who is rejecting obviously, if it's coming from primary care give us, if it's coming from parents, people that we trust, that leaves a very very big wound. And if we're not self aware and we're not aware of the impact psychologically, in emotionally, spiritually of that rejection, that will manifest in so many different ways. So you know, sometimes it takes a long time for people to connect the dots in therapy, but you know, at the end of the day, once they do connect the dot, then they feel empowered to turn that narrative around from feeling dejected because of rejection to thriving in the face of the rejection. So God uses even the rejections that we experience to turn our narratives around and to reclaim the narrative that He's purposed for us.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I can imagine a lot of this gets internalized and sometimes I guess it could be so it's almost I think you're subconscious. Yeah, we're probably dealing with rejections all the time without even recognizing it as being a rejection person. But actually the internalization of what it was was. So it could be somebody might say something to you in a shop, for instance, and okay, you know, just the way in which they're spaking to you. It may feel that way, but you just kind of think, oh, that's just part of what it is. But you know, without us saying recognizing you might be thinking about it, you're ruminating about it, it's in your mind, you start to overthink it and what have you, and you know, then it's like a sense of vicious cycle and then in terms of how you then maybe respond to somebody else as similar sort of things. So, yeah, that's really interesting. But like you said, I guess if you can, I guess that's the importance of having that conversations about things and really sort of self reflection and self awareness is going to be really key to recognizing some of this as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's not always a bad thing to be rejected.
Speaker 2: That that's true. And I was even thinking if not only a conversation for that person who is feeling rejected, but it's conversations for people who maybe inadvertently or on purpose rejecting others and really causing that kind of pain. And I mean maybe as a parent that's why I'm sort of honing in on this, but these are conversations that we need to have with parents parents to be you know, how critical and how important their relationship is. And I mean, I know most people will say, you know what, I know this already, but sometimes it's it's it's hearing it again and understanding the dynamics of it that will really drive it home. How you know, how you treat your child from the time you bring him or her into the world, you know, can have such a major impact on where they end up and how they process life. So yeah, not only to the rejected, but for those of us who have people in our care who you know, have people in our spaces as managers, et cetera, et cetera. So yeah, I'm sure we'll dig deeper into that, but it's it's a conversation for both ends of the coin, I would say.
Speaker 3: And I just want to say that there's always opportunity to heal. Right, So you know, when we go through ruptures in our relationships, it's not about you know, because we will all go through None of us is perfect, and we will all go through periods we hurt each other. But the important thing is to offer each other the opportunity to heal, to be able to apologize, to be able to offer that space to heal in that relationship. So it's this isn't for parents to feel bad or to feel guilty. It's just to be aware. And where there's been problems where we've either directly or indirectly rejected another person our children, you know, we can offer that healing by acknowledging where we went wrong, by offering space for them to express themselves so we can validate them and heal each other through that interact of that relationship.
Speaker 2: Perfect well said.
Speaker 3: Okay, so we're looking now at rejection as a stronghold. And as we've said, the truth is that rejection is just a part of life.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: It happens to everyone. It doesn't matter how smart, how handsome, or how capable you are. We all face rejection in some way or another. However, Rejection becomes a stronghold when it causes us to be caught in a cycle of negative beliefs, thoughts, and emotions and to continually behave in ways that reinforce this negative belief so that keeps us in a negative or in a vicial cycle. So the cycle that becomes a stronghold looks like this. Because we have been rejected, we develop core beliefs about ourselves or about the world, about other people that are quite negative, such as, you know, I'm defective, I'm stupid, something's wrong with me. And then because of that lens through which we view ourselves or how other people view us, we will have thoughts about ourselves that are not great and will have feelings obviously as a result that you know, we might feel low, we might feel anxious, we might feel sad, we might feel anger, frustration, and then we will behave in ways that align with our thoughts and our feelings, which will only reinforce the thoughts and feelings again and keep us believing those negative core beliefs. So, you know, when we have negative views about ourselves, or we have negative views about the world or negative views about the future, that can keep us in a vicious cycle, and that can be what rejection does. If somebody has been rejected a number of times, especially by significant people in their lives, they start to believe this lies really about themselves, which can be quite detrimental. So what does the cycle of rejection look like? We get pushed away, dismissed, or rejected, and then we feel disconnected or isolated, and then what we start to do is we start to withdraw. So if you go into a community and you know, somebody kind of makes you feel like, actually, you don't belong here, why are you here? You start to you don't. You wouldn't naturally connect with that group of people, with that community, You wouldn't feel a sense of belonging, and so that makes you want to stay by yourself, withdraw from the from the group. And then by withdrawing and isolating yourself from everybody else, you will reinforce that feeling of being isolated, and your perception of other people will be that they're invalidating. And so that's just going to be back to that space of feeling rejected, feeling disconnected, and that's that cycle can just keep going And how does it then impact us? So what are the negative effects of rejection. There are very many. They impact us on a mental health level, on a spiritual health level, on a physical health level, and on an emotional health level. So that impact the whole person on all aspects of our being. And so when we're rejected, we feel unloved. Obviously, we don't feel a sense of acceptance and belonging. We have low self worth because we don't see ourselves the way you know, God who created us, sees us and he says you're fearfully and wonderfully made. We don't see ourselves as that. We see ourselves as defective or you know what. We feel guilty, we feel ashamed, and so our self worth drops. We have a sense of insecurity, fear, anger, We are untrusting of other people, and we carry a lot of guilt and shame. And all of these things have negative, huge negative impacts on our emotional health, physical health, spiritual health, because then it's very difficult for us so even trust God and relate to him with a clear mind, and then our mental health obviously obviously suffers. So rejection is a big, big deal when it's experienced in a very negative way. So strongholds of rejection and Wolves of Life. We talked about kind of like a stronghold in like a fortress with very high, strong walls. What do the walls look like? What what do the lies look like? What do they sound like? Sounds like I'm not good enough, I don't belong. Other people's success is a reflection of my own failure. It's not with me trying every everyone else will find faults in me. Right, And then what happens is that we experience really challenging emotions like gear, anger, frustration, depression, and obviously with that our mental health will suffer. So in terms of like what what problems do? People then have various anxiety disorders, social anxiety, all of the anxiety disorders that we've we've talked about earlier in the series, social anxiety, panic attacks. Some people will then suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder. We have mood disorder. We have people suffering from bipolar, from clinical depression, sadness, all the different types of depression out there can be as a result of rejection as well. We have complex trauma. People who have had neglect and being ignored or abandoned like consistently throughout their lives or in their formative years will suffer complex trauma or childhood trauma, low self worth, and various types of personality disorders are there, so you can start to see the kind of impact. So those are the worlds of lies, tell us of unhelpful imagination. We're talking about rejection as a strong le.
Speaker 1: What do they look like.
Speaker 3: You're imagining yourself as less than others, right, So because you're rejected, in your mind, you're less. If you could kind of draw a picture to yourself, yourself compared to other people, you draw yourself probably a lot smaller than everybody else. Right, You're imagining yourself reducing in the presence of other people. You see yourself as always having to place others to get their validation or approval, and you have a negative perception of yourself, your ability to relate with other people, and your prospects for the future. So it's really really important that we're mindful how the people in our environment influence our own perception of ourselves, and that we don't internalize other people's rejection of us and then become self rejecting ourselves as well. All of this can happen in our imagination. All of this can happen because somebody has been rejecting, and then our minds take us on the journey that tell us, you know, where a lot less than other people were not good enough and we're not capable of doing X, Y and z. So what do the captive thoughts look like? So we've talked about the walls of lies, we've talked about the towers of unhelpful imagination. Now we're thinking about the captains in these towers, the thoughts in our minds, in the towers of our minds, what do they look like when we've been rejected? The thoughts like I'm only as good as the last person as the last approval I received from somebody else, or the thoughts like if I'm not welcome, it means there is something wrong with me, or thoughts like I'm not good enough, or thoughts like other people are more important and more special than me, or thoughts like because I was not accepted, I'll never be able to achieve or be as good as somebody else. Right, And we have to remember, it's really important that we remember that our thoughts are not always true, Our thoughts are not always factual, and our thoughts are not always a reflection of reality. Our thoughts are just mental events in the mind. They're not real. The only start to become real when we act upon these thoughts as if they're true.
Speaker 2: Alison Only. Oh sorry, Angela, I was just saying, you've highlighted there how our reaching rejection is and so many of the topics that you've discussed. You know, it has such a rippling effect. One thing kind of dominoes into another, and you're talking about how rejection can affect your spiritual, emotional, your mental health. So it's a big deal. And I guess we hinted at that at the very beginning, how rejection can just have such a far reaching impact, and I think that's come out and that portion of the presentation that you've just shared, Angela. Sorry, we were about to.
Speaker 1: Say it was interesting as well. Like you, how you've framed it in terms of our imagination kind of plays a really big part of that. And I guess it's how we I guess it's the way in which we respond to whatever's possibly happened, but we can create that to be even more so than it maybe is. You know, the messaging that we tell ourselves. I mean, I know I speak to and I speak to so many students who sort of, you know, they have this kind of imposter syndrome and they don't think they're good enough to say, be at this university. And I'm like, but you are at this university, so whatever you did, you're definitely good enough. And whilst now you sort of maybe struggling because they feel like I was struggling because it's all the reality is, it's all new. You know, they're trying to get to grips with everything, and it's just like, well, you are good enough. But they're telling themselves all of this messaging and you know, you think to yourself, well, you wonder where that's all coming from. But in some ways they it almost feels that they have rejected their own abilities, their own skills. They're not recognizing all the actual things that they actually can do and have built this into something. And sometimes it sort of step back and just to remind them, actually, it can't be that. I'm not saying it's not that bad, but it can't that bad, or you can't that bad because you are here, you've been able to do this, You've got this fast. So it's interesting how we can we can create things and as you said, it's a deception. It's the lies that are being fed us whatever, you know, whether it's we've been told that or actually we start to tell that ourselves. So I think that's really interesting there as well. And you can see that playing out in so many different ways. I mean, I'm guilty of that myself.
Speaker 3: You know, I think we all are. I think all are. But it's I think what the enemy tries to do is, you know, if he can get us to be self reject rejecting, that's even more powerful than being rejected by somebody else, because when you reject yourself, then it's very difficult to get out of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I always think to myself, you know, Satan is trying to destroy God's greatest creation, and if you can break down, as you said, that sense of self and who we are in God's eyes, then yet you know he's that's that's the most distructive thing that's going to be because you know, it takes us so far away from who we should be and who we are and how we've been created. Yeah, rejection. And I guess I've never really necessarily thought of it that way. And I guess sometimetimes I said, we just deal with it and kind of go about it, but not necessary recognizing how deep that actually can be for us in so many different ways.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, Alison, if I could ask you to just go back, it's maybe one more slide, But you spoke about what the thought is and I felt that needed repeating. Our thoughts are not always true, they're not always factual, and they're not always reality. How true that is because we can just build up, like you said, Angela, a whole system around us of thoughts and misconceptions and ideas that are just completely false, completely against what God says we are, what God says we can do, against His purpose for us, and we then live our lives half full, you know, we live our lives without achieving what He wants us to achieve because we've just lived our lives based on lives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think sometimes maybe it's just perceived rejection as well. Maybe we've actually not been rejected, but we've created that sense of that sense of rejection, and that perception believes that to be the case, but maybe sometimes it actually isn't.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure we're going to get to that as well. But how one person's rejection doesn't define us. Yeah, it doesn't define us. If I'm rejected by one guy doesn't mean that, you know, I'm unlovable. It doesn't mean that there's not another potential suitor around the corner. But suddenly we've we've made that the bee all at end all. In fact, whenever I think about this topic, it brings me back to the sad and tragic death of Elien and them. And again, maybe we'll we'll dig a little deeper there. But that was just the result of some young man feeling that he couldn't live or she couldn't live without him, and therefore he decided to take her life. And it was Ellien who tragically stepped in to try to defend her friend and died as a result. But we've got to again, maybe going back to parenting, but we've got to teach our children how to deal with those thoughts and how to deal with rejection, because, I mean, life goes on, and the younger you are that the more potential you have to get past it. I mean, but wherever you are in life, as Alison, you've said, you know, with God we can we can do all things.
Speaker 3: And you know, if we look at Christ you know, I think he was the most rejected of humanity in the in the harshest ways, and that did not define him. The rejection was not what defined him. What defined him was actually who he is and his God. And you know, he came to save humanity, and even in the face of all of the rejection, he didn't he didn't turn away from who he truly was. And that's why we had followed him as an example, because there will be every type of trial or situation or rejection that he will have experience that we can relate to and look to him for guidance on how to respond. But you know, like I said, and you know, unfortunately, time will not permit for us to exhaust. You know, everything about rejection is such a huge topic. When the book is published by the publishers. You know, I'll let you know so you can talk about it. There's so much in there, and we can actually thrive in the phase of rejection because rejection, as we'll say in a minute, can can open up other opportunities, right and can take us to different directions that we would never have thought about. So it's sometimes a blessing, it's sometimes a gift, depending on our attitude and our respond to it.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask you just as you made that last point, just made me think sort of, you know, why do some people view it in such different ways? Because for some people, rejection may seem like, actually, this is an opportunity to prove to change. Actually may be the best thing for me. They recognize that while some people see this as you know, it's completely discouraging to them. It will set them back, you know, it's the worst thing that could possibly happen. I mean, I guess that's human nature, but I mean, why is it that people do view it so differently? From that respect?
Speaker 3: Some people are so some people are wired to be more resilient. Some people have the support network that will actually help them be resilient and get through rejection. Some people have the attitude, some people have the self awareness that's necessary to get past the rejection. So there's a number of factors that can contribute to how a person response. But being aware, so just education and sometimes it's been aware of why people have been why people are rejecting us. Right, So a lot of the time we are not the problem, even though we are being rejected. You know, the problems lies within the insecurity of the person who is rejecting us, not with us. You know, if people are really happy, people are really secure, people will be a lot more accommodating and a lot less rejecting and a lot less critical. So if we view it as well, I'm not necessarily the problem here, then we will be able to bounce back and keep going. And actually, you know, like you said, Angela, if you think about it, like most of the hugely successful people in the world, I mean, in the book, I write about Walt Disney, I write about Oprah Winfrey, I write about Victor Franco, I write about Djokovic. All of those people have experienced really harsh rejection, but their resilience has been what's define them and taken them forward. So you know, yes, like you said, people can choose to to to explore other opportunities and to to be more persistent in moving forward when they're rejected. And I guess part of this is to help people do that, to help people deal with the rejection in very practical ways, to give them the tools that they need to keep going even in the face of doors being shot in their faces.
Speaker 1: Something like that. You know, it's very key especially say, like in the job search, you know, again working at university, students are graduating, you know, and I remember having a conversation with a student who was like, you know, I've never not got something before, you know, and it was just, you know, I thought I did really well at this interview and I didn't get it. And I was like, yeah, you're going to face that a lot. But what can you take from that? You know, the reality is, you know, this petition, there's lots of people vying for this, all those things, and you know, not to see that rejection is a completely negative thing because there's still lessons to be learned from what have you. But again, that was something completely new for her in the context, I guess, so again recognizing that the self awareness and really preparing yourself to see how you can you know, bounce back from that, you know, she said, up your resilience and everything else. But yeah, I guess there's so many different areas, Like you said, there's so many different areas that it can impact that lue. You don't necessarily know where that will take you and obviously how you respond to it as well.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, okay, all right, so now we're looking at bringing down the stronghold of rejection. I think this is it's important. So you know, we've looked at what it is. We've done a recap and we've looked at how the stronghold of rejection kind of is cultivated and how is kept alive. And now looking at you know, how do we bring down, you know, the stronghold of rejection. I like to go back to the to the scriptures, to the word of God, because you know, that's that's the truth. You know, that's the truth, and that's what we need to focus on in order to bring down the walls of lies. We need to focus on the truth and the truth of God's words. In Jeremiah, chapter one, verse five says, before I formed you in the womb, I knew you before you were born. I set you apart, right, So you know, if God set us apart, then that's that's a very important truth to hold on to. He's got a purpose for us. And you know, if we trust him, we believe in him, then he's the most important, being the most important person, and it doesn't matter who rejects us. We know that we are special and with the set apart even before we were born, so how do we bring down the strongholds of rejection. We need to be aware of ourselves and those people around us. So it's really important to not connect ourselves to things and people who do not appreciate us who we are and what we bring to the table. I'm not saying that, you know, if somebody doesn't care for you know, how good we are in a certain sport or in a certain thing, we should just ignore them. But we need to be We need to assess the level of connection or intimacy we have with different types of people depending on how much they can appreciate what we actually bring to the table. And we need to be aware of the gifts and talents and the beauty that we actually bring to the table because God has given us gifts, power and authority to live out our lives with purpose. He says in Some one three nine, we're fearfully and wonderfully made. So you know, I think there's a scripture. I like to think of this scripture in the Bible that says do not cast your pells to swine. I think sometimes the problem is we don't even know that we've got pels. So we need to be aware of those pells that we have, and we need to kind of nurture them, cultivate them, and just just be careful how we connect with the people around us. What type of energy do they bring? Do they dampen our what we bring us skills, our talents, or do they encourage us to be better versions of ourselves? Do they validate us? So we need to think about who we're connecting with, and we need to work on getting rid of any pain, any bitterness that comes with being rejected. So it causes offense when we are rejected, right because we think, you know, why would you reject me? Like, you know, like Angela said, you know, some students said, you know, I've never been turned down for anything I don't understand, and that can be quite offensive to some people. But it's really important that we remember that rejection is an everyday thing. Everyone faces rejection, and we try not to be overcome by the offense of being rejected because if we focus on the fact that it's offensive, it's going to lead us to feeling bitter, to feeling angry, and that's not going to help us move forward. So instead, we need to refocus on the truth of God's description of us. As his child, created in his image for good works and with a special purpose. And we need to get up and we need to keep going. Right. The person who rejects you does not have the final say about you. God does. God's the one who has the final say about you. Right, So let's not get talking being bitter on feeling offended because we were rejected. We need to just recenter, regroup, understand who we are and whose we are, and focus on the purpose and the destiny that God has for us. We need to accept the reality of rejection.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So, like I've said, We've said so many times, you know, it's a reality that comes to all of us. So let go of your pride. Who you know? Do they know who I am?
Speaker 2: How?
Speaker 3: How dare you reject me with all of these talents that I bring to the table. Well, that that kind of level of pride will keep you in a place of pain because you're going to be stuck in trying to figure out why people have rejected you. But it's really important to keep moving, get out of the place of rejection so that you can get over it. So be open too and embrace other opportunities. It's really important that we understand that God always has another possibility. Right. God always has another plan for you. He has a purpose for your life, and He's got a plan for your life. God is a god of impossible possibilities. Just because one door shots doesn't mean that, you know, God is just not capable of finding or offering other and even better ways. He says, your thoughts are not my thoughts. My thoughts for you are higher and greater than your thoughts for yourself. So let's just focus on the one who can make all things possible. And instead of asking why you have been rejected, ask what next? Right you didn't get the job or you know, Dear Allison, We're very sorry to you know, thank you for applying for this position, having gone through all the applic applications, you don't meet the expectations.
Speaker 1: What next?
Speaker 3: Rather than I can't believe you know? My CV says AMD all of this criteria, how dare you not? You know, not employ me or recruit me? And also consider your rejection as a redirection and open your mind to new possibilities. There's always new possibilities out there, there's always alternatives. Or when I work with clients in therapy, it's one of the things I like to say is that they always alternatives. There's always another way of doing things. And God says again, for I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. So in summary, just to pick up key points, we all experience rejection from others at different points in our lives, and rejection will cause us to experience challenging thoughts and feelings. The impact of rejection on us will depend on what we choose to believe. What we choose to believe, right, It's all down to us what we choose to believe. Rejection becomes a stronghold in our lives when we believe and act on thoughts that are contrary to the truth of what God says about you. Rejection becomes a stronghold in our lives when we believe and act and thoughts that are contrary to the truth of what God says about you. Also, choosing not to believe a lie about ourselves when we're rejected will open our minds to our true wealth and value in God and the possibilities of living our lives in line with God's purpose. Choosing not to believe a lie about ourselves when we are rejected will open our minds to our true wealth and value in God and the possibilities of living our lives in line with God's purpose. And finally, just to summarize, we can absolutely bring down the stronghold of rejection by choosing not to dwell on the fact that we have been rejected and by seeking God for other possibilities and other opportunities. So going to leave us with a few words of encouragement, and some of these are quotes from the Bible. From the Internet, I just picked up a few quotes. One is by Aristotle and it says, it is our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light. It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light. And another quote says, often rejection is about the misalignment between you and others, not an indication of your word of value. And just on that, I just want to say that I think it's very important to consider that sometimes when people reject us, sometimes it's because they don't have the capacity to appreciate all of what we bring to the table, so they are rejecting because they're not able to take in or to appreciate who we are and what we bring. And if somebody doesn't have that capacity, there's no way they're going to embrace us because they just can't. Right. And so it's not because there's a problem with us.
Speaker 2: There's a saying sorry to direct that if you don't appreciate what I bring to the table, I'm happy to dine and learn.
Speaker 3: I like Sanya, thank you. And another one says, every time I thought I was being rejected from something good, I was actually being redirected to something better. So are you feeling rejected? I just want to encourage you that the Lord will take care of you, and he will take you in some of some Bible texts, like we've seen Jeremiah chapter one's five, before I formed you in the room, I knew you before you were born. I set you apart. Another text says, I've said before you and open door, and no one can shut it right. So sometimes in life we think those have been shut in our faces. But when God has opened the door for you, even though people might reject us, he will still navigate us to that door, to that open door, and he says, I will never leave you. I will never forsake you. And he says again, fear not, for I have redained you, I have called you by name, and you are mine Isaiah forty three, verst one. So finally, Reverend, remember, don't focus on those who walked away, but focus on the one who never left. His name is Jesus, and he will never leave us, or he will never forsake us. So we will win this battle. Why because the weapons of our warfare are not connel, but mighty in God, for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments, and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ. And when we know the truth, and if we know the truth, indeed the truth will set us free John eight thirty two. Because if the sun sets us free, then we will be free. Indeed, that brings to an end my presentation today on dealing with rejection. Thank you back to Usenya.
Speaker 2: Thank you Allison Angela. Did you want to add anything, did anything kind of jump out at you in that segment You're on neut.
Speaker 1: But I'll kicked it off. I guess I was just kind of thinking in terms of you know, and I'm glad that obviously you've ended with some Bible text, because I guess I was thinking about you know, there's two questions that came to mind. You know, are there kind of obviously we deal with rejection, so they on different levels, the depth of them, et cetera. But are they kind of what are the kind of I don't know if you can say, of the healthy ways of dealing with rejection, because obviously, if they have such an emotional impact on us, you know, we've got to process that, We've got to kind of be able to move through it and move on. But how does one do that in a sort of practical way? But so I like the fact that you've, you know, you reminded us of the promises that God has given us, you know, but what are some of the other things that one can do to sort of say actually, And this is kind of leads in maybe into my second question. You know, how do we develop the resilience to be able to deal effectively with a reject rejection of whatever sorts, you know, to be able to then see that sometimes the rejection is not always a terrible thing. It might actually feel better because I was one of the It says, you know, the rejection may just be opening the doors for something much better. I guess there's two kind of questions linking in there on that.
Speaker 3: Very good question. So practically, and this is another thing that's in the book that I've just written on rejection. There's sections after every chapter and you know, dealing practically with rejection and how we can support other people who are going through rejection, So you know, finding somebody save and trusting who will empathize with us and who will validate us so that we can heal. Because rejection happens within the context of human relationships, and rejection will be healed also within the context of human relationships. So we need to be first of all aware of the triggers. So sometimes we've been through rejection that's kind of had a really huge impact on our mental emotional health, and a lot of things will trigger those negative feelings that are associated with the rejection. So let's become aware of them. Don't try to suppress what you felt when you were rejected. Acknowledge how bad it made you feel, and find somebody to express that too. So sometimes it might just be maybe talking to a friend who will understand who you're close to. Sometimes you need to go to therapy and do some deep work in therapy. Sometimes maybe journaling writing, you know, writing how you felt. But find an outlet to acknowledge and validate the emotions that you felt. When you experience a rejection and you know, do something about it, get some help if you if you need to get help, you know, be around people who will celebrate you, right, be around people who are authentic, who will correct you in love, and who will celebrate you. Sometimes we are around people who are very critical, or sometimes we can be around people who can be quite maybe passive aggressive, and that's really very unhealthy when you've experienced really harsh reject rejection. So I think one of the first things is self awareness so that you can stop that cycle and so that you can stop yourself from being self rejecting as well. But finding an outlet, finding people that you can talk to, people that who will validate you, and also soothing doing things that are kind of self soothing, so you know, being kind, compassionate to yourself. Watch what you say to yourself. Some people are very good at kind of labeling themselves negatively, like I'm so stupid or you know, it just sounds like a figure of speech, but what you're doing is you're self rejecting. So watch what you say to yourself and use, you know, what God says about you to repeat that about yourself when you talk about yourself or when you refer to yourself self. So do things that you enjoy doing, you know, you know, if you like to play musical instruments, if you like to go to the spa, show yourself some self love and self compassion, because that's really really important to build your resilience. Those are just some of the practical things you can do. The other question, it's.
Speaker 2: About building resulting into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so you kind of you did kind of answer that. Yes, I was just thinking, yeah, is that But I like it and I like also as you said about you know, it's not necessarily that you have to deal with it yourself. It is during on the support of others. And I guess in terms of flipping that then in terms of how we can support other people who are doing it. You know, what practical advice would you give to us somebody who is trying to support somebody, you know, and the common ones I guess would be, you know, things around relationships, as you said, is a romantic relationships or a breakdown of it could be a breakdown of a relationship for instance, or sort of like in the job search and job hunting, especially in this kind of climate as well. You know, we're kind of you know, what do we call it, the oh something crisis? I can't remember the cost of living crisis living, you know, so and obviously over COVID, so many people lost their jobs due to the situation, so I guess, you know, and then trying to find something else. You know, there's a lot of people they've been in jobs for many, many years and then suddenly they're thrown back into the job market trying to apply. So what can you know, what can people do to help support those who are having to deal with that, which for so many people it could be quite a new experience and definitely a painful one at times as well.
Speaker 3: Obviously, you know, one of the first things to do is to just you know, be available to listen, and that's just listening without rushing to offer your own you're advice or what you think they should do. So, you know, be available to listen, and that means validating how they feel. You know, it's it's okay to feel this way. It's normalize how they're feeling. And then maybe if you're if it's appropriate, you know, share how you have been rejected as well in the past, you know, because I think sometimes it can be quite feel quite isolating if we think, well, there's something wrong with me. You know, nobody is going to take me on. But if people can, if you can relate, if people can relate to your own experiences as well, share those and then empower the other person by you know, thinking through with them, you know, practical alternatives of what they can do, not just tell them, but you know, maybe be socratic, ask them, you know, what have you thought about what else might be available? Have you thought about other options? You have you thought about where to go to get additional support so that they can start building their resilience and thinking about alternatives as well. And then you know, just you know, practical things that you can do with them. Maybe you can accompany them to a job center or you know, do something fun with them. But you know, just being available, being able to listen, validating, normalizing, all of those things are helpful.
Speaker 2: Alison, what would you say to a and it may be very much what you've shared already, but what would you say to a young person that is feeling rejected and really feeling that feeling anger and resentment to the point that they want to retaliate or to hurt themselves or to hurt others. I mean, because I feel like we're dealing with a generation who don't really process as they ought to, maybe because they don't have the right port networks around them, maybe because of the games and all the maladies in society.
Speaker 1: At the moment.
Speaker 2: I mean, we can, we can point fingers all day if we like, but the fact of the matter is we need to start finding solutions for these problems. And that's why for me talking point is so near and dear because it's bringing these conversations to the forefront. Because a lot of this starts with having healthy conversations, you know, talking about the issue, dealing with the issue, bringing the players into into the room, the you know, the stakeholders. So just to our young people, if you.
Speaker 3: If you are young, young people probably slightly different from yes, we will deal with the older people, not old old than young, but I think with the younger people it's more, you know, being available, it's more being interested in them, and what they do is less talking and more more being with them. And I think that's something that you know, older people find very difficult. They just find it easier to tell young people. But our young people, we have to remember, have a lot of information at their fingertips and a lot of what we might be saying might not be new to them. But what would be new to them is that kind of sense of belonging that they have that they're not experiencing that's making them feel rejected and lonely. And so you know, being accepting of them just as they are, and you know, and taking a real interest. Right, so if they're into football, what team do they support? When are the games having a shared kind of point of conversation on their terms, not on our terms. So because remember, if they're feeling rejected, it means that you know, if you're all you're doing is telling them what to do, is is indirectly you're just criticizing them, which is rejecting, which you're just reinforcing that message. So it's it's really for example, sometimes when we have we do therapy with younger people, which we try to mirror how they're addressed, how they're they're expressing themselves, how they're sitting, you know, and sometimes you know, we might lower ourselves to kind of sit on the ground with them and do you know, do what they do, be part of them, and make them feel a sense of actually I feel comfortable. I feel like I really kind of belong here with this person. So I think with the young people, it's more the being than the talking.
Speaker 1: I think also a lot of it, and this is going back to what we're talk a little bit of it at the beginning about you know, parenting and kind of the preparation, you know, having these conversations as well out you know that things aren't always going to and then kind of feeds into a lot of things are always going to work out. There may be times where you will whatever we call it, because I guess rejection kind of comes to different forms. So you know, you might not get that job or relationship may not work out, or you may not get the grades that you wanted, you know, so that means you may not get into the job or the university or the college of whatever you want to go and do. So I guess the more that we kind of have those conversations and don't sort of shy away from that. Yeah, this is the realities sometimes, the harsh realities of life that we're going to go through.
Speaker 3: The devil is the hush, But you're still loved. Right.
Speaker 2: Oh that's the word, isn't it. I don't want to say magic word, but but there is some some mystery to it. But it's the overarching principle that love, our love for each other and God's love for us that really helps us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because society is so fixated on, you know, achieving this and achieving that, and you know, but the reality is that we all have talents. You know, the Parable of the talents talks about everyone has. If it's not one, it's two, it's fine. But God is gracious and we are all good at something and we need to be loving and accepting. And you know, if someboding is not academic, they will be good at other things. So it's just that, Yes, Angela, it's really important that we have those real conversations and say, you know, life's not always going to embrace your. People are out there not always going to embrace you, but here in me, you're always loved you're always accepted, and you know, just just come and talk to me, and I'm here for you. There will be people who will always love you and accept you for who you are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's also on the flip side as well. We talked about, you know, being rejected, but sometimes thinking about how we approach people and things how we come across because inadvertently we could be the one doing the rejecting in terms of the way we talk to people, how we say things. So again, it's important for us to be mindful as well. And you know, if we see those challenges within ourselves, to be self aware reflects on that to think, actually, how can I approach things? How can I talk about something different? Because our criticisms, our judgments, you know, could be this part of the problems as well.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and different people will be impacted differently, So what we think might not be a big deal might actually be quite a big deal for somebody else.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, that's a word at the moment, doesn't it. Being mindful and just being conscious of other people and how I think of even the workplace. You know, Yes, there's some hush and hard messages that need to be delivered but it's how you package it, it's what you say, it's how you say it. Building relationships, even in terms of our young people building relationships and understanding them and them understanding us, will foster that environment where you can yes, say no, or you can say it can't be yours, or you say it's not your time, or whatever it might be. It's rejection, but because of how it's packaged and because of how how you've presented it, all because of who it's coming from, it doesn't hit as harshly as it probably could have. So that for me, Angela, you took the words out of my mouth in terms of not only being rejected, but being the one saying saying no or saying you know, you're not the right fit for the right person for me, and you know, being able to do that sympathetically.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you talk about that in the workplace. That brings me to my the other book which I published.
Speaker 2: See, that's what I was.
Speaker 3: That was that was the cue for me to talk from. And you know the title of that book, it's on Amazon. It's Relating for Success and it's you know, achieving optimum organizational growth and effectiveness through positive relationships. So you know, you know, I've been in leadership and management in quite big organizations as well and had the privilege of managing or leading. I like to use leading rather than people, And I pride myself always in those relationships in people feeling blessed that they have me as a leader, because you know, we spend so much time at work in those work relationships, and you know that bound to impact on our mental and emotional wellbeing. And so your manager or your leader and your colleagues have a huge role to play in terms of your your mental and emotional wellbeing. So those organizational relationships and making sure those relationships ships are constructive and positive, it's really really important. And that's what that book is about.
Speaker 2: I think for me, if we're to conclude what I what I really will put from this is that rejection is redirection. I really love that, you know it rejection takes the form I mean, sometimes I get really offended when the bus driver doesn't stop at the bus stop for me. I have to be really honest. If I'm there and I'm running to the bus and I'm not being and I can't see the reason for him to be driving off, I'm right there. Why are you driving off? You know, we're all in this together. But he may have his own agenda, he may have time keeping and all that to worry about. And I'm like, I'm very, very upset about this. But when you think about it, maybe like you said, this is this is an opportunity to sit back down and talk to the person who's come next to me.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's not.
Speaker 2: It's an opportunity to do something else, or I've just missed out on disaster. Because God's timing is in everything. So you know, it's about how we look at things. It's about perspective, and that for me is what I will take away from the discussion today. And like we said at the top, these conversations need to happen, need to happen regularly. If you've missed any of the series, then you know you can find it on speak and this will also be available on Spreaker and Alison, I'm not sure if you're taking you're taking new clients or whatever, but we can also make the information available two persons as how they can get in touch with you and also how they can get your books. If anybody wants an information and contact the station and will be sure to pass that information along. But yes, that for me is the crux of this matter. God has a plan for us all, and we need not see rejection as the end all. It may be God redirecting us. It could even be him telling us, all right, it's time to step step up our game. You didn't get this job because you didn't fit the criteria, you didn't have the right skill sets. Go and study something, Go on and get yourself better so the next time you can, you'll be the one that we picked out of the lineup. So let's not always think of it as negative. In fact, let's never think of it as negative. It's God. It's got aligning our steps. He's directing our path.
Speaker 3: I think you know the scripture that says all things work together for good for those who love God and those who are called according to His purpose, really comes to fall here, because you know, I can tell you of several occasions where I've been passed over at work for a promotion, or I've been made redundant, and I've only been thankful for those open men. All things do work together for good for those who love God and those who are called according to His purpose.
Speaker 2: And you don't if you have final words and then if you could just close us out.
Speaker 1: Well I was just going to say that, but that's a perfect one, I guess, you know, to recognize that, you know, God is in control, and sometimes we just have to we have to believe that. Sometimes we're just not going to see You're not going to see it, to be honest, but that's where our trust and faith in God has to come into play, as she said, to know that, you know, he's got under control, he's got the best for us, and sometimes that has just given us a bit of a reality check, he said, to say, you know, okay, we've got to step back, we've got to reflect, we've got to look and actually, as you said, rejection can be redirectioned. So yeah, definitely want to thank you Allison for bringing those insights to us. As always, it's been quite interesting and it gives me a lot of food for thought, because again, sometimes it's about how we approach things and how we respond to things, and actually looking at things in a different way can shape how we're then going to move forward as well in a more positive way. So yes, thank you very much for today's session for having me. Thank you, thank you always welcome, and of course I haven't. I was thinking, no, I haven't said it, but I'm going to say, there'll always be a part two to three.
Speaker 2: Yes, when the book is out. When the book is out, said, you've got to come back and just give us a bit more deep dive on the topic. And yeah, we're looking forward already.
Speaker 1: Okay. So yeah, so we've come to that time. It's been goodness. How time flies, as we say, but how time flies. We were having great conversation and really interesting topics. So thank you for joining us on Talking Point Didons again next week with another interesting topic that we'll be discussing. So I'm going to say good night, enjoy the rest of the evening and enjoy the rest of the enjoy the week it's to come. So let's pray the close and then we'll say good night. Father God, I want to thank you for this opportunity, dear Lord, to discuss a topic that impacts so many people. Dear Lord, Dear Lord, is very easy sometimes to feel the rejection of situations that happen to us and things around us. But Dear Lord, I want to pray you that we can be reminded of how much you love us, how much you care for us, and how much you have got everything in control, and that you want the best for us. Dear Lord, there are so many promises within the Bible, in your word that tell us exactly that, Dear Lord, and I'm praying that whoever's listening to our show today that well, they will delve into that and recognize that actually, you have got everything control, and there are so many ways that you can show us that. Even though we may feel rejected, it may just be a redirection, and there's always alternatives. There's always other ways to overcome, and Dear Lord, you want the best for us, then may be a better way. I thank you, Dear Lord, for Allison and the role that she plays in supporting people and to helping them to make differences and change in their life. Dear Lord, and I pray that we as well can be those people to other people. We can support others, we can help others, and we can help people draw closer to you. I thank you for blessing us with this platform, Dear Lord, and I pray that those who are listening will be blessed. I thank you for hearing and answering our prayers. Dear Lord, and thank you for being such an awesome God and loving us so much and caring for us and know that you have the best for us. Thank you for this day, dear Lord, and the week that we're about to start. I pray, Dear Lord that it'd be a blessed one and that we can come again for another conversation. Thank you to Lord for here in our prayers. Amen.
Speaker 2: Amen, thank you, andles. Thank you Alison once more, Thank you for taking the time out again to join us, and we look forward to speaking to you on another program.
Speaker 1: All right, take good care, bye players.
Speaker 2: Bye by Adventist Radio, London.
Speaker 1: Inspiration for the song