Speaker 1: Welcome to a new week of the Morning show here at SDH. John here you there, thanks for dropping by. And it's a standard Monday. Yes, it's a Columbus day for some and for state offices, although it was kind of weird. And I don't know if it's the same where you are, but this is probably going to be somewhat opening kickoffish. But garbage is being picked up today, and I was trying to figure it out, you know, here at Office HD Morning, Alex, if it was going to happen or not, considering it's a state holiday here in the State of Georgia and some folks are working, some folks aren't. Things get pushed back, things don't get pushed back. You kind of forget you need to check if things need to be pushed back, that kind of a thing. And so, as it turns out, after checking out last night, very late last night, that there was going to be garbage pickup today, or at least, let's put it this way on the website that is attached to Office HD's locality, there was no for a double negative. There was no negative connotation about the garbage pickup. So all of a sudden, you know, you're running around the house. It's like, okay, you got to rush to get everything in the curb. Everything's on the curb, and so nothing's happened yet. So but no, I was going by what the what the website said, and sure enough, I'm guessing that there's going to be some kind of garbage pickup today. But happy Columbus Day, happy and happy banking holiday. And reminder that this is also a recognition of indigenous persons. So you know how me specifically and how how I am when it comes to the indigenous thoughts here in the in the North America anyway, So happy Monday, Happy, happy Columbus Day, happy banking holiday, and uh, may we always remember those that were here long before we were. So all right, Monday is Monday. You know, it's kind of what it is traditionally, and morning David. So with it being what it is, first off, it's opening kickoff time, brought to us buy our friends at Kickoff Coffee and Kickoff Coffeeco dot com. That's your QR code for those of you who are hanging out and watching us and accessing us. However you were doing so large device are small, and you hit that QR code and then what you do is that gets you into Kickoff Coffee. You start your day with Kickoff Coffee and Kickoff Coffeeco dot com. Don't forget to use the code soccer down here, Sean. When you use your when you hit the QR code and then use the code soccer down here fifteen, it gives you fifteen percent off when you check out, and then they in turn take ten percent reinvested into youth games, youth initiatives. Very very cool stuff from our friends at Kickoff Coffee and Kickoff Coffeeco dot Com. Abe Gordon is gonna be coming up in short order. Abe always bats lead off. He's our Ricky Henderson on the show, and so Abe is he's gonna bat lead off, and he always slings for the fences. And the only thing missing for Abe is like one of these you know, so maybe if I took the QR code away, it's like one of these you know, you swing and you just kind of sit there and you look at it. You know, you got all of it, and you just kind of getting ready to go around the basis. So Abe's gonna be lead off and we're going to talk about whatever's on his mind. From the weekend kind of lead into it Land United in the Purple teams. This is getting into the final, the final final, the final regular season weekend of Major League Soccer, So we'll get we won't get into senior superlatives yet for it Land United, but we'll kind of lean into that a little bit when it comes to it Landy United, Eastern Conference, Major League Soccer. Anything else on Abe's mind, then we'll get you through the news of the morning, and there is a couple of things, specifically AFCON related that you know, some folks go to certain lengths to try to win competitions and this might be next level. But we'll get into AFCON and we'll get into the other news of the morning. At ten o'clock, Bart Keeler is going to join us from the soccer for USPOD. We're going to talk about the men's national team and what happened with the beginning of the reship Putchattino era, and then after that it's going to be kind of an elongated reffing down here. And what I mean by that is this there is a concern I guess we'll phrase it that way for the time being. So there's something going on in the college game and with refereeing, and so technically this will be an extension of reffing down here at ten thirty, specifically focusing on the college game. And there was an incident this weekend that Jason was front and center to that we're going to discuss and it leads itself to a larger discussion about warning signs and stuff that needs to be really adjusted in the college game. So we're going to get into that at ten thirty after Bart. So it's going to be Abe News of the Morning, get you through all of that. Bard at ten extended reffing down here at ten thirty talking about the college game and just kind of if it's something that you didn't know, we had another incident involving it this weekend, and so it's an issue that we wanted to kind of put out here this morning just to make you aware of it and kind of maybe put up a yellow card or a red flag or something whatever your favorite color is going to be early in the morning, and we'll talk about that there. So it has to do with roughing down here in the college game, and we're going to have that as a longer discussion at ten thirty because there are a couple of pieces of tape that need to be played, and they're extended. They're long versions, but it's worth it. So we'll get into that discussion at ten thirty. Okay, so kind of opening kickoffee, there's your QR code once again, opening kickoff QR code for our friends at Kickoff Coffee and Kickoff Coffeeco dot Com. Hit that QR code. Use the code soccer down here fifteen when you check out the intern take ten percent reinvested youth games. Youth Initiative is very very cool stuff for my friends at Kickoff Coffee and Kickoff Coffeeco dot Com. Okay, it's that time we got to Ricky Henderson. Eight gardeners here.
Speaker 2: What is up?
Speaker 1: You got the you got the high Leo Franco kind of batting stance going here? You ready to go? Man?
Speaker 3: I I used to switch batting stances up year by year. Uh just I mean sometimes I would go Ryan Klesco and I'd be wide open. Sometimes I'd close it up a little more. I kind of was a little bit like Ricky Henderson. I didn't really use my power a ton in in Little league and youth ball. But I mean just know that if I was on first, I may as well have been on third, like I was going. I mean, I was taken second, and as soon as you overthrow the bag, I'm taking third.
Speaker 4: So I was aggressive on the basis.
Speaker 1: M color me shocked. Nothing like thathing like, yeah, yeah, I was. I was the same way I was, you know, lefty batter, and so I would be like I was the third, fourth or fifth in the order, and so I was the I was the kid that actually had the foresight. Because I don't know if this ever happened to you, but this is very opening kickoff you by the way. I don't know if when you were in Little League, there was always that team that had the overage kids and they like paid the league off so they could have the overage kids so they could win the league. And so this was like probably you know, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, you always had that team that was paying off the league, and then you'd have like the thirteen fourteen, fifteen year old kids that were playing in the U twelve and they tried to win the league. So I was the kid that would go to the super fast batting cage knowing that that team was coming up and I was going to have a fifteen year old throwing at me, and I would be the only guy on my team to get a hit or much less contact with the ball because I'm the super fast batting cage is in preparation. That's how hard tore I was. When I was in middle school getting ready to play baseball.
Speaker 3: I spent the whole season of Little League just bunting. What like, like just bunting, what like?
Speaker 4: Just bunting?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I heard, I'd like, what right.
Speaker 3: Down, just boo, right down the third base line. I'd reach every time. I was incredibly fast. They would never throw me out. I think I batted like nine to ninety three that year.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: And like I said, like, if I'm on first, I'm I'm I may as well be on third. And so I just I would just take first base on a perfect bunt. I mean I could put it right between the grass and the foul line. I mean, I was, I was, I put it right on the path, and uh, even when the third baseman knew it was coming.
Speaker 4: Just too good, man, It's too good.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: So the speed of the pitcher never really was a problem because I was just bunting one year.
Speaker 4: So it's like a.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's that is a revelation. I mean I was I was a guy that would swing and I'd probably hit like three ninety seven or something. I was never a bunter, but I would always be the first guy to piss folks off. Man, always button and bat in nine ninety three, I only did.
Speaker 4: It one year.
Speaker 3: I only did it one year. The next year, I let off the first game with like an over the fence home run, and then everyone's like, why the fuck were you butting last year?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Man, I got on base, man, what do you want from me? I got on base?
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Oh that's fantastic. All right, so opening kickoff? Other question, how are you when it comes to Mondays? Because this morning, I mean I went to bed after watching that hyper painful American football game last night where I finally got to see what I need in my fantasy game tonight to try to get a win, and then everything was fine. Watched the wrap up show, but then my body is like up and running at like five five thirty just for no good reason. It's like it's up at like one thirty, three thirty and five thirty and it's ready to go on a Monday. It doesn't matter how much sleep you do or don't. Get bodies just like, yeah, all right, time to go.
Speaker 4: It kind of depends on the day.
Speaker 3: Now, yesterday I had a headache all day from a lack of sleep over the weekend. So like Sunday night, last night, I went to bed pretty early. I took some bio emblems sleeping or whoever, whatever thing I got there that's got melotonin and magnesium and all sorts of other nonsense. So I popped one of those and I went to bed. I was asleep by like nine p thirty. I pretty much slept all the way through till till seven am. Wow, And then I kind of just laid there for ten minutes till my alarm went off.
Speaker 4: But normally I'm.
Speaker 3: I'm okay because and I didn't do it this morning because I know I'm I'm going out for a run later today. But normally, like the first thing I do in the morning is like put the harness on Chipper the pup, and go for a run. So like, even if I kind of wake up struggling a little bit, like three miles kind of gets your body pumping, especially now as we get to hey at seven am and it's still kind of cold outside, like that'll that'll wake you up. So I'm pretty good in the mornings, I'm I'm. My issue was like the midday, like I'm the rare like early bird and night owl. Wow that like that like chunk of time between like two thirty and like six thirty. Though, that's the toughest part of the day for me because the sports haven't really started on TV.
Speaker 4: Yet.
Speaker 3: But uh, you know, if I'm into a show, maybe that's that's why I spend that time. But yeah, that's what I get in trouble.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean for me, it's usually about four thirty or five o'clock when I start to kind of fade and I've got to put either push through it or just sit there and not do anything because I know that my productivity would go in the dumper. But yeah, I'm comparing notes on Mondays for everybody in the twitch pitch and ABE and everybody that comes by this morning. So that's opening Kickoff brought to us buy our friends at Kickoff Coffee and Kickoff Coffeeco dot com. All Right, it is the last week of the regular season in Major League Soccer, and it's math it's math down here basically, as we get closer to Friday and Saturday where Atlanta United goes to Middle Florida takes on the Purple Team, and there's got to be some work there that's got to get done. There's some math that's got to get figured out. If Atlanta United's going to get into be the nine and to go on the road, they could be the aid if things fall a certain way. Where are you and the conversations that you've had outside of ninety two nine, just casual and otherwise on social media, where are you when it comes to this weekend? Where are those that you interact with coming into this weekend facing the Purple team in the last week of the regular season.
Speaker 3: I'll be honest, I'm more worried about Atlanta United getting the own result that's necessary than the other teams. Like I think if Atlani United can get to three points they need, it will fall to them like they got. You know, obviously, it's it was huge that you're playing for two spots and not one spot, and so to me, it's more about Lanti United and taking care of their own business. And look last week they did take care of their own business. But there have been what three or four games before that where they had an opportunity to put themselves in better position by handling what was in front of them, not scoreboard watching, and they didn't do it. Now they looked out because for three straight weeks now they've had results for large most part go in their favor. There's been a result here or there that made it slightly different, but you know, four or five results that same weekend that kind of played in their advantage. So it's been more about themselves and finding the right opportunity to get points, and they've kind of kicked the can down the road. I know, I had called it point procrastination just kind of stayed alive in terms of their playoff hunt. But it's been more about them not finding their own points than about other teams, you know, hurting them in the playoff free So I feel pretty good about the other games that we're keeping attention to, but to me, it's about ORLANDI United, Like they've got to find a way to get their three points, and at that point if they gave in, great, If they don't get in, because the other results don't fall away, you can't look at the other teams and what happened. You had so many opportunities in this last month of you know, mid September into now here mid in late October. You had opportunities to get points and for whatever reason, couldn't do it. So nobody else to blame but yourselves. And that's kind of the microcosm going into this final game. You've got to do it yourselves. You know, it's kind of you know, forget you, Joe bu I'll do it myself. It's kind of it's kind of along those lines, like it's it's time to just, you know, face the facts, look in the mirror, and go find three points.
Speaker 4: And you know, if.
Speaker 3: The one thing that you were looking at, potentially result wise, was that there was an opportunity that Orlando City would not have anything to play for Nashville, who was eliminated, couldn't help you out and take points from NYCFC, and so Orlando City they've got to fight for their seating and their positioning in the standings, and so they're gonna be going after it too, and to an extent that might help you, right, It might open some things up that maybe wouldn't have been open. But obviously there's the other side that they're looking to score and potentially could threaten you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this could be one where since both teams are chasing after something, you could have it where the governor has been pulled out of the golf cart and you're gonna end up with ninety minutes of like you know, looking at the US Open and one of these kind of things with Folly's back and forth. The way things stand out, everybody's up to thirty three matches. We had the two matches this past weekend, the makeups, and in the Eastern Conference, Columbus pretty much just wiped the floor with New England four nil the final there and Matan had a hat trick. Jason has been very, very high on Alexandra Maton. So right now, Miami's locked into the one, Columbus is locked into the two, Cincinnati's locked into the three. So those three teams they can just kind of sit there and do whatever the heck they want when it comes to the last game with the regular season, Miami is chasing after a points record, so their lineup might be a little different than say Columbus or Cincinnati coming up this weekend. Orlando. As you say, right now, they are in the last home advantage spot. They are right now two points clear in the four. But once again NYC is going to be breathing down their neck because they're at fifty. That's the situation that is staring at Orlando. But then you end up with that trickle down. NYC's at fifty, Charlotte's at forty eight, Red Bulls at forty seven. So Red Bulls with a win and some help, could get to to you know, they could get to six because they would lose the tiebreaker with NYC because of straight wins fourteen to twelve. At that point, Charlotte could get up to five. You know, that math is there for that DC and Montreal and Toronto who is out because they're done. Philly's at thirty seven, Atlanta's at thirty seven, DC, Montreal at forty four, teams two spots, one win, separating a boatload of folks. Everybody else is out the door, and that's the Eastern Conference. It will be interesting watching. But I think to your point, this could be a game where, you know, if Orlando plays for a point, then they could be boring everybody to tears. But there's a danger in playing for just a point, because then that point can turn into zero points just as quickly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you kind of lost me pretty early on in running through that, which.
Speaker 4: Is and that's a good thing and a bad thing.
Speaker 3: And I don't mean to disrespectfully, but like that's why I'm just focused on this game. And like, obviously, if you're a player, if you're Rob Valentino, you can't even try and look at the permutations and all that stuff.
Speaker 4: You just got to deal with yourselves. But you're right.
Speaker 3: The other thing about Orlando City in this one is it also might be like a modified push for points, right, Like they may try and be like, all right, let's see what we can get in the first forty five, maybe sixty, but we do have this other season that we need to approach with the right mindset. Maybe we pull back. And so it also might be a situation where if you can either have a lead into the sixtieth or seventieth minute, maybe even be in position for one point, that Orlando City kind of pulls off. And they also will be schoolboard watching and seeing what the teams around them will doing. So I don't think Atlanta United can get caught scoreboard watching and seeing how they need to or don't need to change their style of play.
Speaker 4: Orlando City will, though.
Speaker 3: And I think there is a situation where they they might kind of step off the gas the back third of this match, and if you're in the right position situation for Atlanta United, it may not be to your advantage the first forty five minutes, the first sixty minutes with Orlando pushing, but they might pull off. And so there's also an opportunity that you could play that game right where you play them even and then as they dial it down and prepare themselves for their own playoff race, maybe you could take advantage in the last twenty thirty minutes. So it's going to be very interesting from that perspective to see how Orlando City does choose to manage this match. There's also I mean, look, they've got to be incredibly careful with any soft tissue, muscle injuries, stuff like that, So calf, groin, hamstring, quad, anything minor that maybe you would see guys try and fight through that. Maybe you would risk something that Atlanta United will have to do, risk those sorts of injuries to get the max points. Orlando City would would certainly play a little bit more careful there. They'd certainly rather give up whatever seeding they have than to exacerbate any injuries ahead of the playoffs. So there are certainly some benefits of this situation, but again it's just about Atlanta United finding the opportunities. And you say, this is what maybe is exciting. But at the same time, John, we haven't seen anything carry over game to game or any sort of momentum or discussion like that. But Atlanta United came out last time with energy right from the start, and they looked really good in the first half. They did not score in the first half, but they looked really good. And you obviously need to get out on the front foot and look aggressive early, look like you're into the game a little bit. Don't play yourselves into it, like be into it when the first whistle goes. I thought they did that very well last week. It showed up in the stats and eventually in the second half showed up on the scoreboard as well.
Speaker 1: So then what are you looking at just from a lineup perspective? I guess where are your concerns and or questions when it comes to the starting eleven, And how would you if we're playing football manager, how would you line things up.
Speaker 3: Well, obviously, I think despite what Ronald Hernandez did, you certainly are bringing Brooks Lennon back into the starting lineup. U.
Speaker 4: I think that's obvious.
Speaker 3: I'm probably keeping most Scara right from the start up on that left side, uh toront with Saba and then Uh, if Tra is good to go, I would I would run him out there as well, and and and continue. I know Rios has been very good, but I do like the most Scare Tiray dynamic up front. Two guys who are very fast. They could both dribble a little bit, but but the speed just has to be contained. And so that's how I would probably start out there, and then you got your regular stuff.
Speaker 4: Uh in the midfield.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess there's maybe a discussion what you're doing. I would keep Moyaba on the bench. I think Jay Fortune has been outstanding there and you run him with with schleish and and Moran Chuck in the midfield and and and go about it that way. But there's gonna come a time where you have to get reckless in this game, and so I think you have to make your eleven man lineup set with the idea that you might have to make these certain switches at some point in the game, And so could you end up seeing Tira and Rios combined up top with this or that? And where does everyone else play into that? Could you eventually go to just three in the back instead of the four man back. I mean, there's all sorts of considerations Valentino has to think about ahead of time before you get desperate in real time, and then those adjustments have to be planned as necessary. So it is going to be interesting to see who he has, Like, would it surprised me if Luke Brennan And I don't even know if he's available after his stop with the youth national team, if they're if he's going to be bad, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him off the bench and in a situation where you need a goal late, like you just bring Brennan in, you bring Rios in, and you just you just try and overload, and to the detriment of like Stea Gregorson and Derek Williams, you're like, hey, you guys are on your own back there. We're just gonna do what we can and put eight in the box here. Pretty much the rest of the game, So it will be interesting to see both from the starting eleven but also from who's available, you know, off the bench and kind of those considerations that you have to consider ahead of time before and hope you don't actually have to face that situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, it's a there's a there's a key to being in the rhythm of the game from the absolute beginning and then getting the advantage and then trying to sit on it as best you can, but making sure that if the game turns chaotic that at least you can you can control your version of the chaos and hopefully turn the other folks chaos into even more chaos with what you can do.
Speaker 3: It always concerns me is the other aspect to that, where let's say you do score a first half goal, and maybe you are sixty minutes in and you're like, all right, let's go a little bit more defensive, let's try and hold onto this lead, and and maybe you bring in Dax McCarty to try and hold on. Maybe you bring in Luis a brom to try and hold on, and then you give up a goal, right, and then you can see, like that's the one thing that's always scared me is making the defensive substitution, and then you find yourself with all these defensive guys in the game, but now you actually have to go find that goal again. That's the one that always concerns me. So look, you're gonna get nitpicked. However it works out, if you're Rob Valentino and it doesn't play, I would not make defensive substitutions if you're holding a lead. I would still, you know, play smart, play intelligent, but don't try and short it up too early. I'm not saying don't make the moves, but don't do it in the sixty fifth minute. Don't do it in the seventieth minute. If you want to make that move, maybe a little closer to eighty eighty five.
Speaker 4: I think you could play that game.
Speaker 3: But don't give yourself a situation where you've got to find a goal with fifteen to twenty twenty five minutes left and you don't have the subs available.
Speaker 4: To do it.
Speaker 1: Because what's better than a one goalie to two goalie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll take four or five if they have.
Speaker 1: It right there with you, brother, all right, So broadcast plans it's an odd kick at six o'clock. Apparently, yeah, you know the broadcast plans yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we're going live as always an hour before the game. It's going to be myself. I'll be with Joe Patrick on this one. So five o'clock starts the five Stripes countdown, and as always, we'll have a full reaction to the full time report after the game. Hopefully we're talking about who we're matching up with in the first round of the playoffs. But you know, if we have to discuss, that's it for the season. Here's why, here's what happened, and what is this offseason going to look like.
Speaker 4: We'll have that.
Speaker 3: Tough discussion as well, but hopefully we're looking towards the extension of the Atlanta United season. But yes, early game Decision Day. All the Eastern Conference games kicking off at six o'clock Eastern, including the one right there at Inter and Coast Stadium, terrible name. That's all right, But we'll have coverage for you leading up to an hour before kickoff, so we'll be ready and we might even sneak in a little bit of college football updates just to keep everyone, you know, abreast of the situations across the landscape.
Speaker 1: Yeah, DKR, I think The get in price at DKR this week right now is three hundred and sixty one dollars for some game involving Georgia and Texas. As always, my friend, great to have you bat and lead off with us every single week, and we will catch up with you. Actually, we will be listening to you on the weekend. We'll catch up with you same time next week. Post mortem. One way or the other, we'll see you.
Speaker 4: Assume my friend sounds good, John, Thanks always.
Speaker 1: There we go. That's a Abe. Abe has smashed the home run, or at least he's bunted, and he's made its way all the way to third. He's gonna get ready to be knocked in by the easy single by me back in the second here. Always great to catch up with with Abe at nine two nine the game and at Abe Gordon and Abe is going to go and become properly hydrated and so he can get in his day work and his roadwork and all the other kind of work that he does. Okay, all right, so let's say hi everybody this morning and get you into the news of the day. Morning Alex, Morning, David and David. Yes, David said he had an exciting day out at GSU and ODU last night, and yes, that is one of the two games that we are going to discuss. So David knows the situation that we're going to be discussing in ten thirty and beyond in refing down here extended morning Dell. Dell is optimistic about the USA man, like I said, we will discuss that specifically with Bart Keeler coming up in a half an hour and David yet they went to Vart the GSU game to award a PK. Like I said, We'll get into this situation and discuss another incident in the Sun Belt conference that happened late last month that should be sending off some kind of alarm. Bell raised eyebrow, what have you about the college game? Like I said, we'll get into it. The one thing I am not going to do is, and I did this on purpose, I'm not going to mention official officials names. I'm not I don't know who they were. I don't want to know who they were. It's a larger issue that we're going to get into around ten thirty morning. Abby, Yeah, rod Well, let's see, So David says, Rod KRW the greatest stance ever I mean Rod was Rod had the bat back here, the handle of the bat was facing the picture. You had Rod Carew, you had Julio Franco. Let's see, I'm trying to think of other good batting stances. I mean, you know, if you liked Rod Cruz and Pete Rose was kind of an offshoot to that. You know, you had Willie Stargel and Joe Morgan with the timing mechanisms that they had with the elbow drops and making sure that they were ready to go. So Abby's jealous that I got to go see Elo. When the tickets went on tour and I checked the date, I literally had to cross reference everything. So yeah, last week was two dates with the Boss Lake Street Dive recommended, and that was Thursday at the Eastern, and they finished their twenty twenty four tour with three dates at the Eastern. They used to play Starbar, which was interesting to hear Rachel say that, and then Elo when jeff Lynn said it was going to be done, that's it, We're doing it and this is it. I was like, yeah, we got to dive in on that. And so literally I was cross referencing schedules and things like that to see if it could be something, it could be done. Great show went for like an hour forty five with one toweling off break, and you had like fourteen or fifteen thousand people singing falsetto choruses. It was pretty funny. But now it was a great concert, great light show, and it was very very cool to see ELO. And for me it was kind of a circular moment because it was the New World Record tour at the Omni was the first concert I've ever saw, so years later seeing Jeff Lynn on his last tour performing ELO music and as jeff Lynn's ELO is how it's being phrased, So seeing that to wrap things up for him, seeing them in nineteen seventy seven for the first time, very very cool. Yeah, a little bit of baseball down here, nothing wrong with that. Yeah, yeah, Alex, Yeah, Abe, but Abe got us into Abe got us into the swear jar early and yeah, Abby, I'm right there with you. I kind of need a nap about four, but I pushed through and yep, Elanny Knight should have taken care of business early. Should be a busy off season for Garth. Abby says, should be pleasantly surprised if they move forward, Abby and the discussion. H Yeah, Wade Boggs did have a stance, absolutely true. Enter and Co seems to be okay, so from what we understand, and this was a concerned that others had raised on the two D eighty character app as well, Enter and Co seems to be okay, Enter and okay. So so far right now, everything's cool and the stadium in Middle Florida is oki dokie. Let's see. Abby. Yeah, he does well. He needs to the needs not to have the heavy touch. I mean, the ideas are there and you can see them, but the touch is missing. And that's something I think that Edwin needs to work on. Michael, I think is back from vacation, back on this side of the of the Atlantic. Good morning, Michael. Morning pars and David cecil Cooper of the Brewers. That's a good pull, Abby, major Jewish holiday. Yes, that is true and she couldn't do Eelo And yeah, Wade bogs definitely had a stance, So yeah, bring in your baseball stances anybody else that was there on your mind. As we kind of got into baseball this morning with Abe as he was batt and lead off and kind of carried the joke a little further. Okay, we'll get into Like I said, we'll get into the numbers with Art and some of the quotes after the match with Bart when he comes in at the top of the hour, so News of the morning and this was this is just flat out odd. But I can't say that when it comes to international competition. I'm surprised Nigeria players. And this is Chris Bascom at The Guardian, the Sorry, the Telegraph, among other places. So wilfrid In Dede, who plays at Lester, claims he and his Nigerian teammates are quote being held hostage at a Libyan airport after an AFCAN qualifier turned into a diplomatic incident, and this is Bascomb's wording. Libya complained that they received poor treatment when the teams met in Nigeria last Friday, where Nigeria won one nil. So Libya is now being accused of retaliating by sabotaging Nigeria's travel arrangement ahead of the scheduled return match tomorrow night local time. Nigeria said their charter flight was supposed to land in ben Ghazi, but was instead diverted by the Libyan government to al Abrock. I don't know the I don't know my Libyan geography, but we'll get into that in a sec. Upon landing, the players said they were prevented from leaving the airport, which is four hours away from the original destination, and have been denied food and somewhere to sleep. The Nigerian players took to social media to express their disgust that they will refuse to play in Tuesday's fixture in protest. Indeed, he said quote, this is not football, very embarrassing, hostage to a national team, disgrace and so they There are pictures of the Nigerian squad sleeping in airports and things like that that's on social media. Victor Osimhan, who is not part of the squad, called on the confederation to take robust action against Libya for their inhumane the word that he used conduct Oh seen him on Instagram quote, I'm disappointed by the unfair treatment my brothers and coaches are facing at the Libya airport. Actions like this go against the spirit of sportsmanship. My support is with my team and I know they'll stay strong despite these obstacles. I call on CALF to intervene as my teammates and officials are still stranded at the airport in Libya. This is uncalled for and in humanely. Stand together stronger than ever. Captain William trucet Ekong called on his country's politicians to help the footballers, before announcing the team would finally be leaving the airport after having their plane refueled. Quote. We've called for the iron Nigerian government to intervene and rescue us. As the captain. Together with the team, we've decided that we will not play this game. CALF should look at the report and what is happening here. Even if they decide to allow this kind of behavior, let them have the points. Later posted on x power of social media, apparently our plane is being fueled as we speak and we should be leaving to Nigeria shortly. Thanks for everyone's support. I reiterate we would never treat a guest nation for a game in this way. Mistakes happened, to lay happened, but never on purpose. Libya registered their own complaints but for the first meeting of the Nations in u Yo, Nigeria last week. Although the Nigeria Football Federation denied ill treatment, Libya captain Faisal Albadry said the team was subjected to numerous delays upon arriving in Nigeria and were denied adequate security. In response to the NFF argued that the Libyan Football Federation had not accurately had not adequately liaised regarding their changing travel arrangements and arrival times. Quote, the NFF Assistant director emmanuel A Bunmi said, I spoke to the General Secretary of the LFF at length on Monday, October seven, and he never hinted that his team would be arriving on Tuesday. So yeah, you got that with Afkhan going on, and so that was it's part and parcel to everything. And then Leek Carsley. Remember the discussion that we were getting into with Carsley as to whether or not he applied for the head coaching gig in England. Thought he did, went publicans said I hope to be coach of the U twenty ones and so then he just had another bizarre presser. He did not give any clarity over his future, despite claiming the permanent manager should be quote a world class coach who has won trophies and admitting that that is not yet him. England beat Finland. Yesterday in Helsinki Telegraph reported Saturday, sources in and around the England setup are convinced he does not want the permanent job, preferring to continue working on his craft at this stage of his coaching career. Carsly told ITV quote, this job deserves a world class coach who has won trophies, and I'm still on the path to that. But car claimed he had definitely not publicly ruled himself out of the running with his comments to ITV and said, quote, like I say, it's important that I do the best that I can. It's a privilege to do this job. I feel well trusted. It's a great job and you know, whoever gets it will be fully deserving. I tried to make it as clear as I could. Sidebar onen't really clear, continuing my remit was for three camps. The point I was trying to make is that it's one of the top jobs in the world. I'm not a part of the process, but it deserves a top coach. The players we have available, we've got a real chance of winning. That was the point I was making. This is a world class job, one that is up there with the best jobs in football and whoever gets it's going to be of a high level. It's a privilege to do this job. I'm really well trusted. That's why it was so tough to lose the other night. Asked if he wants to be a part of the FA process to a point a full time manager once his interim period ends, Carsley said, I speak to the technical Director of FA, John McDermott every day. We spend a lot of time together. I definitely don't think it's something I should be involved with. My role is quite clear, and I've got two titles at the minute, interim senior manager and you twenty one head coach. I'm really lucky with the support I get at the FA from all of the people that work above me. Very lucky with the bosses I've got. I feel well supported and privileged to be in this position to be able to coach the senior team en quote. He refused to directly answer whether or not he wants the permanent job, and asked why he would not quote. I'm definitely reluctant because in the past, when I've done this caretaker or interim role, I've gone so far down the I don't want the job I've actually not done the job. It was one of the things I spoke about when I was asked to take temporary charge. It's important that I keep an open mind because in that case that I'm not being reckless with my decisions. Continuing later, I can definitely understand why you would be frustrated by it, meaning the lack of clarity. Definitely, I can understand that because clarity is what everyone's looking for in the process. It was really clear in terms of the three camps. I'm not someone that's constantly saying to John McDermott, can I have an update? Can I have an update? Because the job is difficult enough as it currently So yeah, I'm quite comfortable in that respect. But yeah, I can understand why you'd be frustrated. So do you or don't you? And Carsley's like, I got three camps if I'm If, But if I'm Lee Carsley and I want the gig and I'm confident enough in myself to have a conversation with myself and go self, do we want to be in charge of the of the England national team? Do we want to be in charge of the three Lions? I guess this is where we need to bring Jessica Charman in the conversation. If you're confident in yourself, shouldn't you sit there and say, yeah, I want the gig, And I'm going to prove in these three camps that I want the gig. If at the end of these three camps that I'm part of the discussion, but I don't end up being the guy that they choose, and I'll go back to being the head coach of the U twenty one and I'll continue to ply our trade there and we'll win trophies there. To me, it just seems that Lee Carsley, I don't know if he can't make up his mind, doesn't want to make up his mind, doesn't want to continue, doesn't want to talk about it. But it's like, look, if you're confident in yourself, say it. If you're confident in yourself as a U twenty one, say that. It's like he's saying he's saying one side, and then he's saying the other side, and then it's like he's saying both things, but then he's saying nothing. If that makes any sense. England beat Finland three to one, by the way, and so we'll get into math with Bart, and there's some things that we do need to discuss involving the men's national team, like folks that will not be around for the second friendly. And we talked about points and things like that. We'll let Bart do some math and see if we can figure it out. And uh yeah, it's like you look at what Lee Carsley is saying and then you're like, mm hmm. I mean literally it is. It is just a yeah, yea and apparently, and and you know that everybody's going to be asked about it. Pep Guardiola was asked about it, and so of course Pep saying what he says, but not really saying anything. Everybody's like, oh, Pep's interested, Sure, Sure, Pep's interested. He's not gonna say he's not not I don't want it. But Pep Guardiola when he was asked, he's the equivalent of anything's possible. Matt Law and Jason Burke, by the way at the Telegraph add this to the mix. The FA has not yet formally interviewed any of the leading candidates to become the next permanent England manager, more than two months after the closing date for applications. What does that say prompting questions over the process to appoint Garrett's Southgate's permanent successor, which the FA insists is robust, ongoing and must remain confidential. Yet apparently you have yet to formally interview anyone. FA is not giving any updates on their progress. Telegraph has been told that none of the external favorites have been formally interviewed. Eddie how Graham, Potter, Thomas tookewill all heavily linked. Manchester City's PEP Guardiella remains a dream long term candidate, with some believing the FA would be prepared to wait for PEP if he gave it any encouragement. The FA has been accused of dragging their feet. Some candidates have been sounded out, either directly or indirectly. Checks have been made on individuals. It's claimed that formal interviews have not yet taken place. The FA closing date for applications was August the second, So then the question is is the FA kind of hoping that Carsly will play himself or coach himself into the gig because he definitely would be financially viable. No word on whether or not a tenured professorship would help out in bringing in any of the big names or help out in having Carsly secure. The gig never viewed the permanent job as his to lose, while the FA has never veered from the fact that Carsly has been given three international breaks as interim head coach. Source told The Telegraph, Oh, we keep hearing about a process, but what's actually happening. Why has nobody been interviewed? What have the FA been doing for the past two months. They will hide behind the fact that it's confidential, but they haven't formally interviewed anybody of any note. The FA believes that in appointing Carsley they laid out their timeline having to provide public updates, and now they're questioning the role of John McDermott, the FA technical director, the one that we were talking about, where Carsley was saying and saying, well, why don't have a conversation with John go Well, John am I? John am I not? So it's chaos with the FA. So the FA has no clue, or they may if they do have a clue, then they're certainly not letting the rest of us know about the clue that they have when it comes to bringing in a successor, or are they bringing in a successor. Carsly fears losing focus if he talks about the England Gig frankly, legitimately, frankly, if I'm asked about it, I'm sitting there, and if I'm confident in myself, I'm sitting there saying, yeah, I'm coaching. I'm coaching my ass off because i want my country to succeed. And if it ends up at the end of the day that I'm a part of this discussion that they view that my body of work is worthy of being considered considered for the top spot, in addition to all the other names that have been mentioned publicly or have not been mentioned and have only been mentioned privately within the walls of the FA. I'd like to be a part of that discussion, and I'm hoping that these three camps will make me a part of that discussion. That's what Lee Carsley needs to say here. If he's confident in himself, the best way to accomplish something is bank on yourself. Lee Carsley apparently is be hoping that somebody steals the pin number of somebody else's credit card and he gets to use that going forward. I don't know, but it's just it seems too overly chaotic and Carsley wants to say things and not say things and not lose focus. Man the ultimate focus. If you don't want to lose focus, then focus on winning. Sit there and say, yeah, we're gonna do our damn just to represent our country as best we can. And if it ends up at the end of the day that while I'm confident in myself and the abilities of of me and my staff to move the England the England team forward as best we can when it comes to European competition, if at the end of the day the England FA feels that they need to go in a different direction, that ultimately is their choice. But I'm confident in myself and all of and all of our collective abilities here to give the best representation of the Three Lions in international football as we I would love to be considered at the end of these three windows for the gig if they feel that I'm worthy. Not hard, Not hard, It is not hard, sir. And basically what Pep Guardilla told international to the Italian television on Jetempo che Fa leaving city not true. Haven't decided yet and it's not even true that I will be the next England coach if I if I had decided, I would say it. I don't know either anything can happen. So basically what you have is an entire country running off of that quote on Italian television about interest or not interest or anything of that sort. When it comes to the England gig. Joel Matchett, by the way, has confirmed his retirement at the age of thirty three. So let's see Guardian Telegraph, let's see what's going on with the Independent. Yeah, yeah, Derek Parky said it best. It's not coming home at this rate. It definitely is not coming home. And apparently Jack Grealish revealed a five hundred pound bet with Alexander arnoldver an England free kick and he lost that bet. Gabriel Martinelli injury concern for Arsenal as they get ready for their trip to Bournemouth. I'm sure that Bart's ears were burning as we were discussing that. But Kayosaka ruled out of England's match against Finland, so that was a part of the discussion as well. And Ronald Cooman, mad about Van Dyck being banned, got two yellow cards in three minutes late in the second half of the Netherlands won one draw with Hungary in the Nations League and so now you will not call up a replacement for the suspended captain ahead of the vital trip to Germany today. Left perplexed by the sending off in the Nation's League game. So you have all kind of fun and interesting things that are going on here. Wouldn't be international football if it wasn't. So that's the rundown of everything in European football, going too juice boxes and the other activity after ten thirties we get you ready for what to watch, where to watch it, how to watch it, that kind of stuff. But gossip that is there leading into today. Arsenal confident Williams Saliba will remain at the Emirates despite interest from Real Madrid. You've a could move for dominant Calvert Lewin out of contract in the summer. United approach Stuttgart manager at Sebastian Huns to replace Eric Tenhag over the summer, but he turned him down. Manchester United still with a chance of recruiting Thomas Tukel despite him being linked to the England Gig. Brazil keeper Ederson says he had an offer to leave Manchester City in the summer talks with Pep Guardi yellow or key to him staying with the Premier League club. Arsenal's Nathan butler O Yadesi being tracked by Barusia Munchin Gladbach. German center back Marvin Friedrich could leave Barusian Munchen Gladbach in January. That's from Florine Plettenberg. Arsenal joined Spurs in the race to sign twenty two year old attacking midfielder Georgie Sudakov from shak Tardanietsk. Barcelona, Arsenal and Newcastle are all interested in signing Leroy Sane from Bayern Munich. So that's what you're staring at when it comes to all of the activity. Yeah, how is he perplexed? Yeah? Yeah, I don't know. Forropes is asking how is he perplexed? I don't know. Abbey with a public service announcement cob Energy Center tomorrow night meaning Tuesday traffic, traffic and traffic. So if you don't need to be in that particular area of Dobbins, the cop Energy Center, et cetera, then don't tomorrow afternoon and stuff. Yeah, Derek, definitely, it's not coming home yeah, I don't know why he's perplexed. So oh, by the way, before Bart comes in to join us, voting has closed, but we're going to be keeping an eye on our Friends of the Football Content Awards and thanks to everyone who participated in the voting. It is fifty percent of the vote for the fan side of things, fifty percent from the judges side of things for us as we were running up against all of the other heavyweights around the planet in the best media Organization category organization with an S broadcaster rights holder category, going up against a lot of heavyweights. Thanks to everybody who voted for us in this process. Dinner time yesterday was the deadline. No word on if they're going to trim the field and announce like finalist finalists because it was ten of us and then the vote was going to determine the fifty percent part. I don't know if the judges are going to be voting, or they were supposed to have voted in the same timeframe, or if they got to look at the numbers from the fan vote and go ooh, let's take a peek at this and see what's going on there morning Sharif. So thanks to everybody who voted, participated, watched, might have maybe put up a bot or two just to continue voting from different IP addresses. Stack the deck. We cannot thank you enough for getting out your slingshot and grabbing some stones and trying to sit there and look at the rest of the planet. Because when you are going up against Prime ITVY, Talk Sport, ESPNFC, our friends at goloss On network belated Happy birthday, Poppy Miller, when you're going up against all of that, you know, I mean, the BBC is just it's crazy to think about that kind of stuff. But the public vote finished yesterday at dinner time, and so that's fifty percent is done. I don't know if we get another fifty percent, we get to go to finalist finalists before we have to figure out if we're traveling to London or not. As the Boss says that if you're if you're a finalist, you're going don't know if we're going to get told or if it's just an announcement that gets made. Hey, you've you know on the twentieth Hey, by the way, you're a finalist. No, it's kind of hard to fly out on the twentieth of November for something on the twenty first. Anyway, all right, our number two it is ten o'clock, and so ten o'clock on a Monday means that we bring in Bart Keeler from the Soccer for US Pod two episodes Shy of one hundred and Bart, is it true that that the coal rush uniforms for West Virginia are going to be thrown out with the sofas and just burned at the stake? There he goes.
Speaker 2: You know, I saw a tweet from a w fan account, very popular one, and I like what they say, like all the time, but mentioned that wearing the coal rush uniform and putting out that type of performance is not representative of the state. And as much as I love the state of West Virginia, I have to say, actually it is kind of very representative. Trying to celebrate coal and then falling flat on your face is pretty representative of the state of West Virginia. They should move on from coal. Respect all the coal miners. You have a hard and dangerous job. But there are other things to celebrate about the great state of West Virginia, and natural beauty being one of those that, by the way, Cole ruins a lot of But you know, hey, windmills are the problem, not strip mining where you take off an entire top of a.
Speaker 1: Mountain, correct, I know, yes, yes, absolutely, But no, I thought they looked Falcons.
Speaker 2: One on Sunday, John, That's what I'm focusing on. Tech one at UGA. That's a great win for them. Auburn didn't have to cause your household any internal stress today.
Speaker 1: Well either did Florida State.
Speaker 2: By the way, you're right, You're right. You got to watch opposing fans, you know, go through the consternation of being a football fan this weekend.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is absolutely true, and we talked about it on the OSG side of things. With the other elements and things that went on, we were all either looking at everybody else and not worrying about our bye week and wondering how we could still be fifteenth in the Conference of seventeen schools. But there there was a moment, and there was a moment in US soccer where it was officially official. First off, was was Q two even full? You know, I don't think it was officially full. It was close. They announced the night before the game they had basically like what they needed two thousand tickets to be sold wow, which you know is disheartening because Q two is only a stadium of just over twenty thousand.
Speaker 2: So the fact that they weren't able to m yeah, attended, well, they announced attends at twenty two thirty nine, so I guess it was a full house. Congratulations or it was.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I would hope that, you know, US soccer would have been able to sell out the match of the first Yeah, the first match of its new head coach, the best, biggest head coach of its history. But you know, oh well, apparently they did sell out. Good for them. It took them all until the day of the game.
Speaker 1: Yes, so we end up with a win for the United States. And the way that John Arnold at all phrased it was this, It was that Pochettino's US M and T passed the vibe check. How long will the good times roll? He says. Soccer is about physical ability and skill, plus the collective understanding of how best to work together to score goals keep the other team scoring on you. But especially at the international level, vibes enter the equation too, whether it's frustration with a certain coach's style of play, anger at recent results, or even national moods spilling into the sporting sphere. What's going on around a team often has a big effect on a team's form, even when it seems to perre in the ability and skills sector. That may even be more true in the Concacaff region, where the depth of any given national team is unlikely to match that of counterparts in UEFA or Connoble. My friends at the World of Concacaff podcast say that Concacaff is a vibes based economy.
Speaker 2: Cocacaff is a vibes based economy. That that is a fact.
Speaker 1: While hiring Mursio Pochettino or Jesse Marshall, havieror Gira is designed to take advantage of a coach's experience at the highest levels of the club game, they're also intended to change the vibes. No one would argue the vibes were good at the end of Greg Burholter's tenure leading to the US men's national team, and no one will argue there anything but good. One game into the Pochattino era, after a two nail victory over Panama, what say you, Bart Keeler.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that for starters, you got to win over Panama, which under the Burholter tenure was kind of this bugaboo team, right, I mean, Panama beat US in World Cup qualifying down there, they proved to be a problem for US in Gold Cups, you know, knocked us out of the last of the twenty twenty three Gold Cup. That was a lot of math beat us obviously in Cocoa America for you know, and there are some extenuating circumstances around them. You remember that loss in World Cup qualifying. We had Josse's artist starting, which is a recipe for disturb for anyone. You then lost in that Gold Cup in twenty twenty three because you know, Panama doesn't have a B squad, they have their A squad and the US was playing somewhere between a D and a B squad. And then obviously with the Copa America result, it was because you had you know.
Speaker 1: A.
Speaker 2: Red card by Tim Wahab for being you know, a little dumb. But you know, this was a This was definitely not a first choice lineup from the US, right, not just with the injuries that we knew of coming into camp, but then the players that were selected were probably not the first choice for a lot of people that would be picking a team, and there are obvious reasons for that. I'm sure we will have a question about. And so the fact that you won is good because that as a reversal from what you've seen in recent history. But also John apparently saw one watching the broadcast Panama had scored a goal on the US in at least five straight games.
Speaker 1: Wow, and so.
Speaker 2: You got to shut out and that was the hallmark of the burd To Halter Tenter. So the tenure, so I was told by his supporters, is that, oh, his defensive scheme is very good. We don't give up a whole lot of goals. Again, Panama seemed to be the team that figured out how to Panama and Canada where the two teams that figured out how to score goals against the US consistently. And a lot of that is looking at what we saw. The difference between Saturday and what we saw a difference between you know, the last few games of the Burholter era was I think two things. One was just an intentionality to the play more frequently, okay, And then I don't want to say intensity because I don't think that's like a fair metric to use. It's a little that's a little too vibesy, but you could just tell that there was a understanding of the severity of Hey, I'm playing for the national team. We got to go win. Was it perfect? By no stretch?
Speaker 1: It was perfect?
Speaker 2: Right it was. There were there were errant passes everywhere. There were obviously players who didn't live up to the moment at many times, some players who, unfortunately, I think, failed to capitalize on the opportunity they had from you know, being able to start over players who were injured or being held out due to rest. But overall, the team as a collective got a too new well when at home in the first game of the punchtoon era. And that's that's the positive.
Speaker 1: Eunice Mussa scores in the forty ninth through Cardo Peppy scores at ninety plus four.
Speaker 2: That's what does he scores in Austin.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is true, just asking I'm as verites about that too from his time at FCD. Uh sealed. The victory ended USA's four game winless streak player ratings or player ratings. And this is where we tear apart what Soccer America likes to do on a match by match basis, Matt Turner had a six. Early in the second half. Turner stops Panama's first good chance with the diving save, jumped up to block the close range shot off the rebound, so Matt Turner with a six in net. For the United States defenders, Anthony Robinson gets a five, Mark McKenzie gets a five, Joe Scally gets a five. Tim Reen gets a six. Sparked the attack on the first goal with a long ball down the wing to Robinson, Reem and Mark McKenzie blocked several shots by those kind of le and mostly distributed safely, although mackenzie gifted Panama ball deep in the US half in a free kick at to the edge of the area. In the eighty seventh, Kinsey was beaten to the ball by a guarda Farina who hit wide from seven yards out. So five's basically across the board except for Tim Reim, who looks like he sparked an attack. Therefore he got a plus one there and got a six.
Speaker 2: I think that's a little unfair to Jedi, who did I think a much better job in a slightly more advanced role. I know formations aren't a real thing, but it was like an unbalanced four three three four three, where like Jedi and Musa were technically in the same plane, but like Musa was a little bit higher than Jedi. Like it was like they were a little bit on a seesaw. But I thought Jedi was better than a five. I don't think anyone else did anything worth noting from the defensive standpoint, And I again, I think mackenzie is one of those guys who did not take advantage a chance to put a good foot forward for the manager. I know, again, you get the shutout, but a lot of times he committed fouls or got beat to a ball and it just wasn't He continues to be this a story of unfulfilled promise from Mark McKenzie where you watch him and you go, this guy could be really good, and then when it comes time to actually test him, he kind of doesn't always pass the test, or if he does, it's like at best to see and you know, that's disappointing when Tim Brim seems to be the most competent center back in your center back pool right now and he's you know, eighty seven years old.
Speaker 1: Yes, midfielders Eunice Mussa Aiden Morris, Shall, Nikabusio, and Musa gets a seven. I'm guessing because you still get the goal. I was going to say, ooh, you got the goal, so therefore you get a you get a plus, you get a blue star.
Speaker 2: Attacked like they called him a midfielder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, uh imprecision contributed to the USA failure to turn possession into scoring threats. In the first half, forged forward more than usual, storm through the penalty area to finish Poliitic's low cross for the first US goal to Pochettino Era Unice gets Unice. Mussi gets a seven. I'm guessing because he scored. Bucio got a five, Aiden Morris got a six.
Speaker 2: That's a little harsh for Bussio. I would have given both he and Morris a sixth. I thought they were both like above average. I thought Morris had some turnovers that were not great. But I think the issue here is and we'll get to the next guy, as you had Aaronson also in this midfield kind of Amiba and outside of Musa. Right, none of those three guys, Busio, Morris, Aronson have proven to be a real driver for the US men's national team. Right, there are a lot of guys who are really good passengers, right. They might be your shotgun rider, great navigation, might be the backseat writer, great at distributing snacks, but they're not the guy driving you to the destination. And you know, I think you can trust Moosa to gets you there. But most of the other guys haven't proven that with the national team, and they didn't prove anything to that extent. But that's not a bad thing. They proved competent, and I think that's kind of the positive. Is okay, Well, if you add them with a McKenzie, right, or McKinney, excuse me, if you add them with Wes McKinney. If you add them maybe with Goo Rena who comes back healthy. You know, if they're a piece of the midfield, great, But all three of those together, those guys just it didn't really work all that well.
Speaker 1: Forwards Josh Sergeant, Brendan Aaronson, and Christian Polisic. Policic gets a seven. Brendan Aronson gets a five. Josh Sergeant was stripped to the ball when Bucio found him at the top of the penalty are your prime chance came in the forty second Busio fed a eight yards out, Sergeant ski the ball over the crossbar. I think it landed dk R and Sergeant did better with his.
Speaker 2: The race course there.
Speaker 1: John yeah, out by the airport, did better with his first shot of the second half, forcing his save with a seventeen yard shot. The our friends at Soccer America, and it was woy Tala who authored the piece, gave him a three.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: That's like, that's like being in the That's like being in the backseat of the car and opening up the cooler and realizing that on the drive that you didn't hit the ziplock bag correctly and all the sandwiches because they were on top of ice, got all mushy. That would be a three for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think a three is worth is what he deserved. But I don't think he was close to average. Let's put it that way. I would have put him at a five or four maybe, But you know, I think this is the struggle with Josh Sergeant is the dude hasn't scored in like ten years for the national team. It feels like, yeah, and despite everyone thinking he is the guy who should be starting. I mean even with Baligan, people are like, well, I don't know, Sergeant, he just continues to get chances and doesn't get anything from him, you know, And we've talked about this ad nauseum onto my podcast that you know, strikers need to be more involved with this national team. They don't score enough, they don't get involved enough.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: He did have nineteen total touches, five in the penalty area. That's good, right, that's a decent number. But at the end of the day, what are we doing with those opportunities? And when you not only miss your one good chance but never find yourself in other good chances. I think his next best chance was like a corner kick or across the goal that the goalkeeper punched away, right, he just happened to be close to it. Oh yeah, Look, strikers rely on service. Strikers rely on other players around them to get them the ball. But it's also your job as a striker to put yourself in better positions to receive the ball and then play the ball off of you. And I think Sergeant just continues to not be able to do that for one reason or the other. It doesn't help when the other guy scores, by the way.
Speaker 1: No, no, And I'd love to know who it was in the State of Texas Chamber of Commerce or the city of Austin didn't get together with the schedule makers and have folks understand that when you have a Formula One race the same weekend as Georgia, Texas, that might be great for the economy, but when you're trying to find places to stay and trying to actually function in that town, that ain't the best thing to do. No.
Speaker 2: By a family tried to go up to Austin this year for the Georgia Texas game, and my parents are even going to RV it, so, you know, not looking at that, but even flights into an out of Austin or crazy Austin. By the way, talk about a city that needs a revamp of their airport, Bergs Airport itself is nice. Yeah, that needs to be about three times bigger.
Speaker 1: Yeah it does.
Speaker 2: Wait, I know they're building a new terminal, but holy crap. You know it's when Columbus, Ohio has a bigger airport than you do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Columbus has a better soccer team in Major League Soccer, but that's another discussion entirely. Uh subs Tanner, Tessaman and Christopher Lung got fives, Hodgi Wright and Malick Tilman got six's. Peppy as a sub got a seven. Alexandaehouse got our incomplete because of the lack of minutes victory into the four game winless streak, USA's longest since twenty two, and it went winless for five, one loss and four draws. USA had lost their two previous games to Panama two won it last Summer's Copa and in a shootout after a one to one draw the twenty three World Cup. That is where we are when it comes to your subs and everybody who played in the two nil one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, first off, I forgot that the US played. Thank you for reminding me that. Oh yeah he did. I guess he was secondly on the field when the goals scored, So good for him, you know. I think overall, like I said, this was a team that performed slightly better than average. The win itself is just the positive here because as you just ran through, not only did we have a long losing streak or winless streak, I should say we've also only won like one match since last March, right or since this March right that the Bolivia match. Okay, great, you beat Bolivia, I don't know, They're not a good soccer team. John, So you know when you had lost to Columbia so badly, Yes, you tied Brazil, you still don't win. Sure you can beat Bolivia, and then you know you losed Panama on away Canada New Zealand, Like that was a skid you needed to break out of. Now the problem is as we turned the page to Mexico. I mean Mexico has their own issues right now. I mean they've lost to who they play severe Valencia or one of those Lalliga teams I think was playing a first choice land up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they are they are in fact part issue US.
Speaker 2: You are correct, Yeah, yeah, they they they gave up a two goal lead and ended up tying to to Not great from LG. But for the US, look, you get the gwin. That is that is the positive because again you you do need the positive reinforcement of the work that Poch put in for this week that said, if you expected a lot of grand changes and immediate you know, flips of the switch, that wasn't gonna happen because Paccino and Berhalter are not that far apart, right, They're their coaching style there, U excuse me, they're playing style the philosophies about how the game is played. What we did see I think is multiple times throughout the match Pochettino urging the team to just play a little bit quicker and move the ball a little bit better. And that was something that you know, we had fallen into a lull under the Burholter tenure in the second you know, era two point zero Burholter is the horseshoe passed. I mean it looked very pinatea ballish right where there was a lot of passing with no actual intent to do anything with it. And in this match, you know, you could see Pochettino signaling to try to do something with the ball because you know that the goal. I don't know if you know this, John, the goal of soccer, the sport is to put the ball in the opponent's net. That's that's the whole point, right, do that more times than they do it to you, huh. And in order to do that, it does help to have the ball on their opponent's half and maybe close to their goal on occasion. So that is I think the one thing that I saw a difference of there was also some more central combo play rather than just get it wide and cross it in, which was another problem with the Burholter strategy at the end. And so from those two things right there, it did look better. And again against the team in Panama that had been a problem for this program for a while now.
Speaker 1: All right, so ropes with a question who had the best look Saturday? You liked that Bussia was playing.
Speaker 2: Uh who had the best look? Peppy because he scored and Sergeant didn't. And now Peppy is going home, which I'm a little upset about.
Speaker 1: And that's the That's the next thing I want to get into topic wise, but we keep going.
Speaker 2: No, I thought bousy again, I thought all those midfielders, to me, outside of Aaronson, proved that they are able to play in the midfield with other players who are better than them. But as a combo that midfield was not superb and it's not going to get better on It's Tuesday, so that's concerning.
Speaker 1: Abby was surprised to hear about that. The player said it was the first time that they'd had a US M and T practice. It was two hours in the time that they had been on the national team, and Abby's like, really they never had a practice it was two hours long.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I mean I think that's kind of a I don't maybe two hours is probably the most you'll get in a club training session, but like when you get to the national teams, you have to remember, you get in on a Monday, and you play that Friday or Saturday, right sometimes Thursday. Yeah, so you don't have a whole lot of actual training time, and you certainly then don't have a whole lot of recovery time. And that's the thing that I think, you know, people don't want to factor in a look if you think all they're doing is going out there and kicking a ball for two hours, which one is not what happens. You're not kicking a ball and doing soccer for two hours. You're doing a whole lot of things within the two hours on the field. Right from what I also could infer from a lot of these is yes, it was intense, and yes there was a lot of training going on during the two hour training time. It seemed like Pochettino was also stopping and explaining, maybe not fully, but like pulling players aside and having conversations. So I think it was more of a two hour installation session and two hour how do I also say this because all these coaches have their own types of training exercises too, right, And so I mean that quote came out what on Tuesday. I think maybe we're not.
Speaker 1: Running, you're not running around for a full two hours, but.
Speaker 2: It is right, and you're probably going through the motions and understanding, Okay, this is this training exercise, this is what we want to do, this is what the mechanics of it, this is why we're doing it, this is how it applies in game. So I understand why that quote got a lot of Look, two hours is a very long time for a training session, especially at the national team level, where your recovery windows are shortened and your actual training availability is short and you just don't want to run guys ragged. I don't think we saw that on Saturday. But you know, I'm just saying that the two hour thing is a little overblown. I promise you most guys aren't. Most teams aren't out there actually training for two hours. You can ask I'm sure you can ask Jason when you guys have watches Atlanta United. You know, yes, it may be two hours, but it's not you're not playing a full game.
Speaker 1: Yank running around for a full two You're you're you're you're doing a lot of Yeah, you're like you're you're doing a lot of walking with like funny movements in it. You're getting you're getting instruction. Yeah, you're being told, okay, you need to move over, and then you walk over to that spot. It's there.
Speaker 2: There's the first ten to twenty minutes or like high knees, like you know what I'm saying, Like it's that kind of stuff handball.
Speaker 1: When I mentioned Jason hates so when I mentioned toe touchies and things like that, But I mean.
Speaker 2: Listen, dynamic stretching and activations and all these things they happen on the field.
Speaker 1: They don't.
Speaker 2: You don't just come show up and be like all right, I'm ready. I mean, like I said, we used to play handball in college half the time as a warm up because it was just like a fun way to like get your body moving right, and yeah, we'd play that for ten minutes and then start kicking the ball around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that reminds me. Separate sidebar, how is how has Leonora Ryan navigated Helene? How are things from what you know up campus.
Speaker 2: So I know campus and Hickory is was mostly fine. They lost power for obvious reasons, but Hickory itself was pretty good. Now, like every county that touches Kataba to the north and west, we're not good. I think maybe Alexander County was okay but probably should have been washed away. But like you had Wataga and Leonore that I look Watagaan called, well, that got a little bad obviously. Wataggan is where Boone is an app state. You talked to Lees McCray up in Avery County. Beautiful campus. Shout out to Kelly who's the women's team coach there. She was the assistant coach at l R and I saw her over the summer for an ODP event.
Speaker 1: We we are, by the way, catching up with Taylor Morton at some point early here in the week to get a Lee's McCray update.
Speaker 2: Good because they were much more effective than Hickory. The Ashville campus that opened, I think last week. We have a Ashville campus. Well, we have a office building in Ashville. I think it's probably the campus, but that has been reopened. But I don't know what class looks like right now. But Hickory itself has been pretty pretty good. The whole lean issues.
Speaker 1: Okay, because our friends at Hickory FC, if you are so inclined, they do have a fundraiser going for the eight to eight and Hickory.
Speaker 2: Has kind of turned into, to be quite honest, a good dumping point, loading point maybe if you will, for a lot of the relief efforts, because it's one if you don't know, there's an airport in Hickory, and Hickory itself is again pretty pretty okay. Again, they lost power, there were trees down, but nothing major for the flooding. The major river that Hickory is on the is the Cataba and it's one damned at Lake Hickory. And two it's a big river, so you know, it's not overflowing like a lot of the small streams and creeks in the highland the high country. So Hickory mostly okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's see. So I caught up with mcgierdano. They have relocated to Charlotte, I believe, and so that's where that's where soccer is. The other school the other programs on campus or at various other locations, but they have relocated. Others have relocated North to Fareham and Virginia. So yeah, we're going to catch up with We're gonna catch up with Taylor at Lee's McCrae hopefully early part of the week, and we'll get an update with what's going on up there. Okay, So back from the sidebar, we have players who were rostered that are not going to be a part of your Double Jeopardy game in Mexico coming up this week. Christian Polisic, who got the assist, returned to ac Milan for what was termed load management. I feel like I need some kind of ominous background reverb there. Fosse Fosse, Fosse Fosse, McKinney, Peppy, and Stephan returned to their teams with minor injuries. Peppy was the only player who played against Panama. Say that ten times fast. No players have been added to the squad. The twenty available for Tuesday's match Horror Vast Sheltie, Turner, Lund m Mackenzie, Reem, Jedi, Miles, Scally and Trusty defense Aaronson, Busio, Morris Musa, Tessaman Tillman in the midfield, and only four forwards Sergeant Vasquez, Hodgie Wright and Alex endhas.
Speaker 2: Which is concerning because, uh, where are wingers?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Does that means that Telman and Aaron Cent are out for the winger position especially? I don't know if I trust alex and dehas to start for a national team, let alone start in Mexico. But I do like the idea of Brandon Vasquez starting in Mexico and scoring against Mexico.
Speaker 1: You just like you, just like Irony, that's all.
Speaker 2: I like justice?
Speaker 1: Okay. Oh, so you have the former Major League Soccer player now playing in Liga MX who could have played for one national team and is playing for the national team that's going to be visiting on tomorrow. So so the the circular logic that seems to be attached here is the intriguing part of all of this. But you you like justice, sir? Okay?
Speaker 2: All right? I do you know? And I think again a chance here for some of these guys. I mean, Sindjas has vast guys, has at least done enough to convince me that he belongs in the discussion for the national team. Zendejas has been he needs to start proving himself. You know, it's not enough to just be friends with Christian politic. You do need to start actually performing on the field in order for us to trust you.
Speaker 1: Okay, what is your what what is your vibe? Since this is a ViBe's based economy, with your double with your double Jeopardy game, your double points match as you as you have it registered here in trying to move up the standings in conky CAF, what is your vibe heading into this match with Mexico.
Speaker 2: Well, look, I think the unfortunate reality is us is at a great disadvantage and facing the possibility of losing to Mexico for the first time and oh a long time since twenty nineteen, I think. So you don't love that, right, but you also understand all the circumstances around it. So if you lose, if you go down to Mexico and you lose, it's not great, right, but you also have a chance to at least get a draw. Mexico is not a very good team. They're you know, they had a very bad last match against a club team that again you know was not old boy boy. And you know now is the time where again you have a new head coach, so you already have the pressure of making yourself known to this new coach, earning that trust of the new coach and showing that you belong here. On top of that, you have a lot of guys who wouldn't normally be ginning opportunities to start, right. I mean, look, Tanner Testament, John Lucapusio are not close to starting pecking order in this national team. But with all the injuries and players who had to go home, now they're looking at being starters and how do they show up in a game that means a whole lot. I mean, it's the number one rivalry in North America for a number of reasons. And you know we have not played. We don't play on the road often in friendly, so we know this. And now you get a chance to play in Mexico in a friendly for the first time in twelve years.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: Last time you did it, you won, so if you want to continue to be part of history. And by the way, that that time that we went down there and won was not with a strong eleven or a strong squad either. I mean, brecksha was probably the best player on the team that that that squad, which yeah, Breckshay greatest player of all time I think in US, sir, But you know it's it definitely is. It's a good chance to prove that you belong, that you have what it takes to be part of the men's national team because part of being the men a part of being a part of the men's national team at this point in time is beating Mexico.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, no that is that is not open for a debate. No that I'm right there with the beat Mexico. You know, yeah, you got you gotta beat Mexico. All right, So, uh, thoughts plans all that kind of stuff, obviously with the match on Tuesday, sir, Let's see, So what are you up to Thursday morning?
Speaker 2: Well, I'll be in the office working is that I know? Come on, man, But Friday am at home?
Speaker 1: Okay, So then do you want to you want to come back on, you want to bet lead off on Friday ago, so we can put a bow on everything, all right. So this is what we call live scheduling. So Bart is going to look at Mexico, and so Bart's going to come on and bet lead off on Friday morning leading into beyond goals at nine thirty, and we'll discuss the vibes based economy that is attached to the US men's national team where you have drawn very well drawn photos pictures of Marsha Puchatina with the word believe underneath it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well look that's that's that's cool, right, Like I mean that, I think that speaks to the vibes around the too is there's just a lot of belief now that we have a coach that we believe.
Speaker 1: In vibes based economy.
Speaker 2: That's what rock CAF is a vibe based economy. And that's the thing. Right. The vibes are high for the US, They're not high for Mexico. Right, those vibes go get a win down in Mexico, and if you do that, John, you're looking at leaping Canada in the concor capp standings. I know we talked about this last week. If you get two wins this friendly window, you're for leaping Canada, like got to especially if you went in Mexico for sure. Yeah. The other thing is John, I mean, I don't know if you have talked about it, but real quick Nations League ground up if you will let me. I don't know if you talked about CONCACAFF Nations League.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Interesting matchups coming up on Tuesday, right, League A, you have the two teams that matter because top two teams qualify for the the quarter finals. Yes, League A, Group A Guatemala on seven points, Costa Rica after a draw, serenaon on five points. You know who play. Those two teams play each other on Tuesday. Then in Group B Jamaica on seven points Honduras on six points. Those two teams play each other on the final match day. So that is some exciting stuff in the CONCA CAF Nations League. Again, those teams that finish top top two in the groups make the quarterfinals, and we'll be one of the four opponents that the US could possibly be paired with. Whether we're ranked two or three, who knows.
Speaker 1: And yeah, so that for those of you that are the true sickos, you could probably catch all of this stuff on paramount Plus. We'll get into that you can. Yes see, there you go.
Speaker 2: Costa Rica host Guatemala and Jamaica host Honduras. So the favorites do get the host in the final match day. Costa Rica obviously with the draw and Surna on probably not a deal. They do have to beat you know, they do have to win at home against Guatemala, to win the group, but I think any result pretty much guarantees them as a path forward if I'm not mistaken. Yeah, yeah, surn I'm with A with four points, they would have to I guess, so Costa Rica. Yeah, you're in a little trouble there. You do have to win at home on the final match day to guarantee yourself a spot in the nation's corner finals because Surnam hosts Guyana.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm Guyana zero one and two. They've given me rules in three matches, So.
Speaker 2: Careful there, Costa Rica. Careful there. Talk about his program that's kind of spiraled recently well.
Speaker 1: But I also think that when Kayler Novice is no longer in his mid to late thirties and he is still again still a tremendous keeper. But obviously you want to look in other directions when it comes to Costa Rica and how you want to stack things as you age out in your in your mind. So I think that that would be intriguing. Yeah, yes, absolutely. Group B by the way, Jamaica Honduras, and you end up with Nicaragua playing French Guyana. So Nicaragua by the way, at four points, if they win, then they go to seven. Jamaica Honduras, Jamaica Honduras.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Nicoawa not out of the not out of it. But they do have to win.
Speaker 1: Gets yeah, got I got some, I got some work to do.
Speaker 2: So and then they have to not just win, but also hope that like you know, yeah, Jamaica Honduras TI there.
Speaker 1: Yeah and then but yeah, Jamaica Honduras tie. Then Nick, Nicaragua's out on goal difference because right now Honduras is at plus four and Nicaragua is at minus one. So for the true Sikos, uh, since you mentioned it, I'm going to league c oh well, where.
Speaker 2: Do we go?
Speaker 1: Barbados, Bahamas, US Virgin Islands, believee, Anguila, Turks and Caicos, St. Kittanivas Cayman's British Virgin Islands. That's the fun part.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Barbados run, but Barbados running it up. Also Saint Kitts and Belieze running it up. Good for them those teams that does matter, they get automatic Oh crap, I did promoted placements to the which notepad is the sign play in and around, I want to say for Gold Cup because we have a playing around, a preliminary around and a group stage for Gold Cup next summer, and we still don't even know if it's all sixteen CONCACAFF teams. John, that's true.
Speaker 1: I'm sure that there will probably be some guests, you know, you know probably actually you know what they'll probably do is they'll probably have Messi and Friends be a guest team in concor CAF. Lord, all right, so we will we will watch your social media's at the soccer at soccer for US PO D and at Bartamus Prime nineteen, especially on Tuesday with the US playing Mexico.
Speaker 2: Late night, ten thirty st. John, that is.
Speaker 1: At the Estadio a Crone exactly. Uh. And then you'll be back to bet lead off on Friday morning to talk about all of it in the vibes based economy that is conker Caf. Be well, my friend, and we're gonna do reffing down here once you clear the decks, because we got yeah, we've got some college stuff to talk about.
Speaker 2: And I saw Jason bemoaning college refereeing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it's what it is. It is stuff to do with that, and we have a couple of incidents to back up the thought, and so we want to advance the game forward, and so we're sending up this flare and proposing an alternative or at least a suggestion to help things out.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, we always like to solutions, not just.
Speaker 1: Yes yes, So we're gonna we're gonna do some solutions solving here with reffing down here for this week. Be good, my friend, and I know that you'll be listening, so feel free to have your comments in the Twitch pitch with everybody else as we go through reffing down here for the remainder.
Speaker 2: The only one side Atlanta United comment today. So I think I did all right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, don't think I didn't hear it either, brother, Don't don't think I didn't nowhere it was. I I heard it. I heard it kind of buzz past it. I saw what was going on. But yeah, so if you if you wish to uh multitask and actually try and work and at the same time listen to what we're going to talk about in.
Speaker 2: From the time my work started blocking Twitch on my on our network. So I can watch you on YouTube, ye, well you can, yeah, harder for the the they don't like all the comments that I leave.
Speaker 1: Well, but well then you can also watch on Twitter and leave comments.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I'm not logged into Twitter on my work computer either, so.
Speaker 1: That's okay on you. So that's how I all right, So then watch on YouTube and comment there. All right, we'll see you on Friday, by y'all. All right, that's Bart. And so Bart is going to listen to this next segment and it has to do with reffing down here, and it does have to do with a technically and actually it's two moments in the Sundalt Conference, one directly involving Jason that he we saw on the weekend and then another from late September, and so what we're going to do for those who missed it. Both of these are courtesy of our friends at ESPN Plus and the Sundal Conference. So yesterday there was a moment in the Georgia State match with Old Dominion and it is about two and a half minutes worth a tape. It's worth it to get the full listen. And this is from the broadcast, and so you might have to picture television because there are some references to video and what can be done here, But I will play this block. And then there's another incident that we need to get into from late September from James Madison and Old Dominion that we need to get into and it has to do with a couple of different things. So we'll go through both of these moments in both of these situations. So David, here's so we're gonna break this down. So David was there yesterday, he saw it, Jason called it, and so here's what happened late in the match. So, first off, Georgia State was down, Georgia State was down one nil. They came back to take a two to one lead with about two minutes to go. Then with about two minutes to go in the match, you end up with this incident slash moment as it happened once again courtesy of our friends at ESPN Plus and the Sundalk Conference. This is Jason's call from Georgia State in Old Dominion yesterday to run over top of the eighteen. Nothing called couple of deflections. Gotta get cleared now. Wilson tried to clear it.
Speaker 5: Old Dominion wants a handball and the referee is gonna go look at it.
Speaker 1: Brook Nelson was trying to clear it. Tucker was pushed over at the top of the eighteen at the start of the entire sequence. You can see Ed Joyce asking why don't you call the first one. We're getting to look at it now. Nelson tries to clear it's off the side of Diaz. That is not a handball. The fact that the referee is going to look at it. He didn't call it in live action. That's off of her back. That is not a handball. Replay is not supposed to be used to re referee situations. He waves it off. You could see it right there in that replay. He waved it off. He gets talked into going to look at it. They don't have our angles, as a reminder he in this one, they have what is commonly known as a coaching camera, So you're not gonna have the angle we just had. If this gets overturned because it was not called as a handball on the field, We'll try to give you a little bit of a simulation of what it could look like to the referee. But right now, it looks like he's trying to find something in it that's not there. You see the arm go up, and that can fool you. We showed you a very close up angle and you can see that it hits her side penalty is given. You might want to turn the crowd mikes down because I don't want to hear what Joyce has to say about that one, because I have a feeling I know what he has to say. This team cannot catch a break. In twenty twenty four, was a foul on Snea Tucker at the top of the eighteen that was not called, and then a handball is given. That is not a handball. Raya Kiowski goes to the spot for old dominion. One minute left on the clock. Kioski versus fos Kioski scores to two. Okay, first and foremost, that was the call. Secondarily, I hope Jada Fuss didn't hurt her left foot because she kicked the goalpost to the near side after the after the ball went through. So two to two at that point. So what you had was a center ref. And like I told you at the beginning of the show, I purposely left out any reference of the center re f. I did not track down the individual's name. I didn't want to look at the crew because that's not Germane. To the conversation, the names are not Germane. To the KNA, the call is and the activity is, so, here's what you had happened. You had no call of a handball live in play. So and on the ESPN Plus broadcast they go through and you see that the ball hits the Georgia State player basically under the arm and literally on your your lat, the big back muscle that you have side of the body, the intersection of the right right underneath the arm. It did not even touch the left arm, and so it hits. It hits the player right there on the edge where the LAT hooks around and connects to the front of the body. Then the referee is convinced to look at the incident, after calling, after after calling no call, after waving something off live, then somehow they are convinced to go and look at the call. And as Jason made the point on the air yesterday, at the venue, they have the coach's camera, you know, like the thing that kind of looks like a cell tower, And depending on which model you get, it's anywhere from say twelve to fifteen feet in the air, and it gives you the really wide all twenty two traditionally, depending on the individual and the home team as to how tight it is shot, how far up in the air, it is positioning and all that kind of stuff. So you had a referee who no called a handball situation live. They were talked into looking at the play and you look at it from the coaches camp, the spidio, the spider can that they have up top. Then after looking at the replay from that ALL twenty two, and I think I'm one hundred and twenty percent certain that the production crew at Georgia State, and by the way, they did a bang up job in lining everything up as to what was the alleged infraction and all that kind of stuff. They did a really good job of walking through the situation that was not what was viewed. What was viewed was the ALL twenty two coaches camp. Center f looks at that re referees his own call, sees that it's a penalty, goes to the spot, Old Dominion ties it it to and that eventually ends up being a two two draw. Now I'm going to take you back to September twenty ninth, and it was a game involving Old Dominion and James Madison. Old Dominion and James Madison, with twenty six minutes left on the clock, have a stoppage in play, and if I played this entire exchange, it would be about seven minutes. It is a seven minute delay. First and foremost that happened with James Madison and Old Dominion as the production crew at James Madison is following a throw in and as you're watching picture of the monitor in your mind's eye, activity is going from left to right. Throw in is paused for something that happened off camera, and it goes to once again review. But the review is once again not off of the television production camera, but off of the spider the spide of the coaches cam, the cell tower that you see if you go and watch a college soccer match. So Center Ref goes and tries to look at the play as it was shot on the coach's camera. After the initial review, Center Ref wanders over to James Madison because the foul was lined up to be on Old Dominion, and once again Old Dominion was down three to two. At this point they were down three to zero, came back to go to three to two, twenty six oh three left on the clock. Clock stops. So after the initial review off of the spider cam, Center Ref goes over to James Madison's coach and looked like he was about to make his decision. James Mann Madison's coach becomes very very demonstrative and see and tells the center f there's an elbow. And you can see in the description and you can see in the ESPN feed that you have the James Madison coaches and they're looking and they're trying to basically zipproo of the whole thing. They're going backward and they're trying to find the moment where they believe the infraction happened. James Madison's coach literally, as the center ref is walking to him to explain what he thought he saw, the James Madison coach is saying there was an elbow. So after the proposed and presumed initial decision, and the James Madison coach re emphasizes it was an elbow, and you see the James Madison coach literally wind up and take his elbow backward from the end zone camera on the TV production side that the center ref goes back to the coach's cam and then once again, after looking at it for minutes, and the old Dominion coaching staff comes over and is wondering what's going on, especially after center F appeared to have made a decision, then is basically convinced to go back by the historyonics of in the motions of the James Madison coach. He goes back to look at the spider cam video, then comes back after watching, after being encouraged what to look for, apparently saw what the James Madison coach encouraged him to look for, came out, gave the Old Dominion player a red card, and so Old Dominion down a goal is now officially down a player with twenty six minutes to go. This is a seven minute delay. In all of this seven minute delay and as I was looking at this yesterday, as I was looking at it yesterday, that was, you know, another incident inside the eighteen David. I know, I see you looking at stuff in the twitch pitch and we'll get to that in just a second. So short version made longer with James Madison and Old Dominion that James Madison infraction off camera from the TV production side. Center F goes looks at the spider cam, looked like he didn't see anything, wants to come over to the James Madison coach to explain himself. James Madison coach motions that there was an elbow center. F goes Back apparently saw it the second time after being encouraged to look for it by the James Madison coach. Old dominion player gets a yellow up, gets a red card, straight red, and then down three to two Old for the final twenty six minutes at James Madison is having to fight down a man. The conversation was overheard on the sideline. Savannah Wilkerson is your sideline reporter at James Madison. Here is her breakdown of what the conversation was between the two head coaches during this entire review. So here's what Savannah Wilkerson heard and reported to the booth after all of this discussion happened once again courtesy of our friends at the Sun Belton ESPN plus.
Speaker 6: Let's throw it back down to the field, Savannah, what did you see with all of that going on during the review.
Speaker 7: So the main reason that coach Hind was so upset is because Coach Walters is the one who made that call and she kept saying that you are not a ref. Coach Walters responded by saying, that's fine, but the ref just needs to see it. He can make his own decision, but he needs to see it. Coach Heine responded by saying, he had already made his decision. That's why she's so upset. And she said it was absolutely ridiculous and not fair and not right.
Speaker 1: So that was the play by play of Savannah Wilkerson, who was the sideline reporter for James Madison during this coming together for everything involving James Madison in Old Dominion. So once again, let me replay it for you. I'm gonna replay what Savannah Wilkerson said in her sideline reporting between the two head coaches one more time.
Speaker 6: Let's throw it back down to the field. Savannah, what did you see with all of that going on during the review?
Speaker 7: So the main reason that Coach Hine was so upset is because Coach Walters is the one who made that call, and she kept saying that you are not a ref. Coach Walters responded by saying, that's fine, but the ref just needs to see it. He can make his own decision, but he needs to see it. Coach Heine responded by saying he had already made his decision. That's why she's so upset. And she said it was absolutely ridiculous and not fair and not right.
Speaker 1: So the ref needs to see it was the convincing element by the James Madison coach. The ref needs to see it. That goes to influence, that goes to re refereeing and steering and a whole bunch of other things. So with those two instances in the sun Belt, one back on September twenty ninth, and the other one yesterday, David so David said, did the hand to call handball or the other coming together at the top of the eighteen. This was after the first incident. This was with about two minutes to go in the GSU match, and it was literally let go on the field, literally the well and the David. You don't recall the David didn't recall the gesture from the official. It didn't happen, did not happen live. The element and the incident did not happen live in the GSU game. So what you had in both of these instances is a center ref convinced to re referee a match yesterday at Georgia State ref didn't call it live, did not call the handball live, and it wasn't a handball period. It was not a handball, and for those of you that have ESPN plus, I would recommend going back and literally just go to the last two minutes. Let's start with four, because then it's the equalizer, and then you get to see the context and the incident. In James Madison and Old Dominion, I don't know how long replays are up traditionally, but I was still able to go back and access it back on September twenty ninth. The gesture from the field during live did not happen, So David, you were there, you didn't see it. You and everybody else. This goes to larger points. Both of these incidents lead to larger points that we wanted to kind of let you know about here. One it's about re refereeing, and that should not be in a position A referee should be confident enough, or at least, if you want to use the word stubborn, they should be locked into the idea of my call is my call, and I will not be convinced otherwise. Doesn't matter who it is unless it's another official. It was not an official in either case that had any that encouraged any re refereeing in the Georgia State game. It was called live, there was no handball call. Then convinced to go to a monitor and then from a camera angle and a rundown that was and just angles in general that were far worse than you could have gotten otherwise. You decide to re referee a call with a worse camera angle looking at something off of an iPad. In instance number one, instance number two, you have a call or you don't have a call. And the call happened in the ODU James Madison match off camera from the television production perspective, So center f goes off field. Nothing's happening. There was no call in the initial build up of the play. It was supposed to be just an ordinary throw. And with twenty six oh three encounting, you hear, you get a whistle, then you end up with a review. Then you believe. And like I said, I'm and I'm watching the JMU Old Dominion match over and you see, literally it looks like the center ref looks like he has something in mind, and it looks like he's about to go to the JMU coach. Then the JMU coach becomes more elevated in his emotion and said and with his right arm and elbow, it's like it was an elbow. So then the center ref, after being lobbied by the JMU coach, goes back to the monitor and I guess he saw it, saw something akin to it as he tried to ziprooder the thing, and then you end up with the straight red card for Old Dominion. And this is both Both of these calls were viewed from the spider cams from the coach cameras. They were not viewed from the television production aspect of it. In the Georgia State Old Dominion game, GSU's production crew, they were all over it, absolutely all over it. In James Madison and Old Dominion, the TV crew from James Madison didn't have it. It was off camera, so you're relying on the spider cam, the coaches camera, the all twenty two to give you something. So you had in one match worse angles and you re refereed something that you didn't call live in the ear In the earlier example, you go to the spider cam because TV didn't have it. You re referee a call after your initial thought was one thing. Then somehow center ref is talked into going back to look at the tape. Hey, no, you're looking for this. So it was seven minute delay in JMU and ODU and a call. Then both calls should not have been made. And so David, I think is going back and shuttling through ESPN plus as we're looking. So David clear and obvious questions, clearly, but not still made it. First he thought the ref was going to talk to the fourth and then he went to the baby monitor, who's a GSU goald a minute thirty four to go, PK awarded at a minute left, frantic and fund last five minutes behind the gold gssue camera crew certainly had a better angle and clearance off of a clearance off a teammate. So we had two instances of re refereeing that first and foremost should not happen period. Referee should be confident in their calls. Don't let anybody in the outside noise that's not wearing the same color jersey that you are force you into thinking something. No One wearing a logo of a participating team should talk you back into looking at something. But that's what happened in JAMU and O to you, someone with a logo talked to a center ref yesterday at Georgia State and was like, hey, you know you've got to look at this. Oh, okay, I think I'll look at it. I said, we don't know the thought processes of both of these officiating crews, but the bottom line is that two plays were re refereed, and you need to be confident in your own calls. And now to my other point. My other point is this, if you have television production cameras at an event, and we know that everything is streamed these days on ESPN Plus or Flow or whatever, make sure, and this should be a mandate, make sure that the review as it is being looked at by the officiating crew is the television production crew and that feed and not just the spider can. I would have both of them available downstairs. And this is the larger point other than re refereeing on the field with human beings, So re refereeing as human beings. Be confident in your own call. Don't let somebody with a logo that's not yours have you go back and look at something. Your call should be your call. The fact in the GSU game that you didn't call something live and got talked into re referring something looking at a monitor that was nowhere close to a handball, and you're looking at it from an angle that wasn't even the best available or the best shot. What should happen in these instances is this, and I would hope that this is something that has looked at going forward, that both video signals are available to that iPad, baby monitor, whatever you want to call it for center refs for review. So if TV in the old Dominion James Madison case, they didn't have it, so then you go to spider Camp to see if it's worth anything, worth any cat of a look. If it's there, then you can take a peek at it. If both of them have it, that you can defer to the television production signal, And all that should be is just running another video cable into that baby monitor and changing your input literally another video cable into the back of that monitor, or have another video HDMI cable available. You can swap it out and sit there and go, okay, a you unplug it, plug it back in, have someone from the production crew sit there and get it all squared away. Change an input function. That way, you've got spider Cam available on one input, TV production available on another, and if it just so happens that communication from the table goes back to the production, the production crew, Hey, centerf wants to see this, then the TV production can send a feed or in real time as it's being broadcast. If you can't send a separate feed, go back and have them look at what happened. Both video feeds need to be available for refereeing crews, and like I said, with as many games as they're being broadcasts now these days on streaming services and what have you, I would think that cameras might be easily accessible or easier accessible in these situations. Have both video feeds available and the other element, as David says, clear and obvious. I'd love to know how in each of these cases. The call on the Georgia State game was clear and obvious off of a spider can, and I'd love to know how the call in the James Madison Old Dominion game was clear and obvious off a spider cam. And if you don't don't have clear and obvious, then by the nature of video review, it's left alone. Video review is inconclusive. My call stands. So that's what we wanted to bring to the table this morning. Make sure and like I said, I don't think you can do anything this year, but I'm fairly certain, being the optimist that I am down the line, that there will be a moment in a game of import, whether it is in a conference tournament or a national tournament, on some level somewhere where you will have this kind of a situation. You hope you don't, but in this kind of a situation going forward, I would like to think that you could have just a separate input, just jam a separate input to a monitor, change your input function on the remote control so you can see spider cam and television production. And like I said, if it's only if it's done live on the air, because you can't route a separate video input to the VAR monitor that you would that would be going out over the air. Have the play by play announcers sit there and say, hey, center ref has requested that we show our angles of the play. Make sure that that is available to the center f because that makes the that makes it easier to monitor. So it's two points that we wanted to bring about here with the college game today. Re refereeing something live and the clear and obvious nature of VAR and only having the spider cam available to you. If it's not clear and obvious, which unless the this person shooting the spider cam is really good at what they're doing and you can see intentionality, then initial call stands leave it alone. Nothing like getting emails while you're doing a show. So that's what we wanted to bring up this morning to wrap up the show. Two instances of re referering live and the reviews with spider cams that need to be done in a more technically advanced manner. Have both the television production signal available and the spider cam available so you can compare and contrast off of separate inputs. And then if one doesn't have it and the other isn't clear and obvious, play should be left alone. But referees re refereing calls live after going to the monitor. Keep all of this in mind going forward. We'll be vigilant about it too, but we need to have both video signal options available in college soccer as best we can. And if it isn't clear and obvious, it's not clear and obvious, it can't be reversed. So the re refereeing of an idea stops in its tracks right there. Huh, So that was a longer version of reffing down here this morning, just letting you know about things that we're seeing and how things probably should change, but only for the betterment of the game. So, like I said, it just happened. There no all colleges that got it. Like the old big biggie six fouls before fouling out rules. I know I remember that too. But clear and obvious spider cam TV production cam availability and re refereeing something live, that's what we wanted to get into this morning. In the college game, be confident in your calls, and then let your initial call stand even if you're not confident in it. And don't let somebody in a logo sit there and say, hey, you've got to go look at this because XYZ. Unless that logo is the same color jersey that you are, and you're the one with the whistle and the book and the cards, your call is your call. But let the TV production signal be available to the baby monitor off a separate input. And if it has to be a separate monitor that you're running a video cable toward, then so be it. But it should be just as simple as changing an inputdinkdink, remote control. Okay, So that was where we wanted to go this morning with that. What to watch, where to watch it, how to watch it. Soccer on TV, College Soccer for Today, High Point and pit Acc Extra, Suffolk in BC on ACC Extra, Newman and Lesals on ESPN plus, Women BYU and Kansas State that is at eight o'clock tonight on ESPN Plus as well. So the soccer on the TV. Three games in the NWSL, you've got Nations League all that stuff. Nations League Group play on FS two at noon, Georgia, Albania, Belgium and Fence at two forty five, Fox Soccer Plus, Awser Baijan, Slovakia at noon, Ukraine Czech Republic at two forty five. Nations League play but on Paramount Plus. And that's where the rest of it is. Currasau, Grenada, Puerto Rico, Sint Martin at four, Saint Lucius, Saint Martin and Saint Martin at Sint Martin, but Saint Martin, he Haiti and Aruba at eight, Jamaica, Honduras, Dicaragua, French, Guiana, Trinidad, Tobago, Cuba all at So that's your rundown of everything to watch today. Thanks for hanging out with us. And I know that we go down roads sometimes that that are kind of long and windy. But at the same time, if the game's going to grow and we're all going to continue to enjoy it, reffing down here has to happen as a segment and just as kind of like an introduction, because if it's something that you might see down the line, you'll go, oh, yeah, I remember this, but probably something toward the postseason this year or next season. Having a separate video signal available to center refs, not just the Spider, can make sure they can see TV production as well. The whole re refereeing aspect is also well part of it too. But there you go. Thanks to Bart, thanks to Abe, and thanks to all of you. So here's what's going on this week tonight on Scarves and Spikes on the Monday edition. I know I'm going to be there trying to see if we can get Maddie or Jared or anybody else to come and hang out. So that's Scarves and Spikes, Scarves the Letter in Spikes on the YouTube channel starting at seven o'clock. Also this week, Tuesday is Tuesday Wednesday. Tyler Pilgrim does the return visit nine point fifteen. Hopefully we can catch up with Dylan Butler at ten and catch up with Marrion Crowder. We get to catch up with her about her show with Anna Whitty on the Uslide in the sec that's at ten thirty Thursday, it is getting You Ready for Everything happening on the weekend nine o'clock hours, Wide open, and it is Nino and Nico in the Power Hour at ten from ten to eleven oh five. And then some Friday, as you mentioned, Bark Keeler is going to join us to put a rap on USM and T for the week He'll be on at nine oh five. We catch up with our friends at Beyond Goals entering at nine thirty. Then then the ten o'clock hour, it's the free for all on the weekend, whip around patent pending for Mark cummingson Er. Hopefully rather than later, we'll we catch up with everybody Gets You Ready for the weekend, and Atlanta United and the Purple Team trying to figure out what PLAYFF positioning is going to be for the twenty twenty four season, because Saturday's decision day for the regular season in Major League Soccer. So for everybody here at SDH, I'm just John. Remember I'm with scarves and spikes. Tonight at seven to ten, we'll see if Maddie and Jared or anybody else wants to come and hang out with me and the SNS folks. So for everybody here at SDH, thanks for dropping by as you always do. Back at it again a little less than twenty two and we'll talk about stuff, and that's the official term. We got a lot of stuff to get into tomorrow. Get you ready for match day thirty four. Talk about stuff in the lower divisions, talk about what's going on Western North Carolina, all across the board, all the different places, and it's time to wrap it up and we go here until it's done. Play safe, everybody, mooch platyo. That's SDCH in the morning show for a Monday. We'll see they didn't