Speaker 1: This is Dan Caplis and welcome to today's online podcast edition of The Dan Caplis Show. Please be sure to give us a five star rating if you'd be so kind, and to subscribe, download and listen to the show every single day on your favorite podcast platform.
Speaker 2: I'm Christy Burton Brown and for Dan today.
Speaker 3: If you haven't heard, California had a new law take effect this week. It was signed last year by Democrat Governor Gavin Newsom, and the law controls local governments, which I guess is not surprising for California, who likes to control anything and everything they can get their hands on. But it specifically bans local governments from requiring IDs to vote. A very wide ranging law that would say no city, no county, no municipality that has its own election can have a different view than the state on this. So the state went in and banned any voter ID requirements whatsoever. Troubling law, I think the Gavin Newsom path and that just came into effect this week. But also interesting when you take in context the fact that Nevada had a similar law on their ballot in this last November as their voter statewide on a ballot measure whether or not they would like to impose voter ID requirements, and over seventy percent of Nevada and said yes. Now, this law also had voter ID requirements even for those who vote by mail. It required them, I believe, to submit a driver's license or social security number that could then be confirmed. So Nevada is a mixed voting state. You can vote in person or you can vote mail in ballot. Colorado, of course, is an all mail in ballot state. So that would actually be a way that Colorado could impose voter ID requirements, something we haven't done, but a lot of people on both sides of the aisle think we should because it makes our elections even more secure, or I should say, gives people confidence that they are secure, which in many cases is what people want to need. Ornea always has to lead the nation in the opposite direction, this time banning any local government from imposing any form of voter ID. In other news, Mike Johnson has been reelected Speaker of the House. Now, many people thought it might take a couple of ballots for this to get done, and in fact, when it came down to it, when the vote was happening on the floor. It did actually look like it was going to a second ballot. Some of the main reporters that cover all the happenings in Congress actually had even tweeted out that a second ballot was happening, and then suddenly it didn't, and he was a reelected speaker on the first ballot. What actually happened is he had lost enough Republican votes initially to not be re elected on the first ballot. I believe he had lost five votes, but two of those people got a call from President elect Donald Trump flipped their votes before the tally was called, and he was then re elected speaker. I'm going to play a clip that Mike Johnson had said, of course all the news surrounding him on his way into the Capitol today, and here was his take on what was going to happen.
Speaker 2: Next part of the process.
Speaker 4: But I expect that we'll get it done.
Speaker 5: What about what has Trump done to help you here in.
Speaker 6: This after well you've seen his statement simul time, get these posolate members.
Speaker 2: How many members as he spoken in this point to day, I don't know how we hope, So we hope, so would you grind.
Speaker 3: From so basically, Mike Johnson's take was, we're getting it done. He said he was in there for the long haul. He also basically said, you know, maybe Trump's going to help us out, maybe he's not, but he believed he'd had the votes, counted the votes, and obviously, either way he got it done. Even Marjorie Taylor Green, who has been an interesting ally of this speaker, sometimes speaking out in his favor, sometimes pushing on him from the other direction, had released a video the night before the vote saying, Hey, Republicans, we have to come together. We have to actually have a working Congress and get this done. I found it funny that a number of the Democrat representatives also went on TV, which of course everyone does before speakers vote, claiming that the people wanted Hakeem Jeffries and that's who should actually be elected speaker. And one of them, Democrat Representative Clark, specifically said, we have heard lay and clearly from the American people. They want good public schools to send their children to and to make sure we're continuing to have clean air and clean water in this country. And apparently she added all that up to somehow indicate that they wanted Hikeem Jeffries to be Speaker, even though the popular vote across the nation elected Republicans in the House, in the Senate, and in the presidency.
Speaker 2: So I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: Which people she's listening to, but it's not the majority of the American people, and that was confirmed by the vote in Congress that re elected Mike Johnson as Speaker. I think a lot of people question Mike Johnson's abilities and wonder sometimes why he loses votes, say on the Continuing Resolution, had to remake that deal before the end of the year. My opinion is that he actually knows what he's doing the entire time, that he has a strategy, that he knows he's going to lose specific votes but needs to take them anyway, and that he actually has the end goal in sight the entire time. I think he's very smart. Used to be an attorney for Alliance Defending Freedom. That's an excellent organization that defends constitutional rights, religious liberty, equal protection, pro life, pro family policies across the nation. They've won many victories at the US Supreme Court, and Mike Johnson used to be an attorney working for them. In addition to a number of other things he's done in his career, but they don't hire people who aren't extremely smart and strategic. I think Mike Johnson definitely fits the bill, and sometimes even the things that appear to be losses for him, I think are actually strategic losses that lead toward a win in the end. If you have different thoughts or seated to cerently, you can always call in during the show eight five to five four zero five eight two five five. I'm Christy Burton Brown in for Dan Kaplis today. Another interesting happening after the vote. Chip Roy, Congressman Chip Roy kind of loves to, I don't know, get himself and the indius and have his own thoughts and opinions. Many respect him for his extremely conservative viewpoint and the way he pushes on Congress to actually deliver for the American people, to cut the budget and.
Speaker 2: To actually keep their word. A lot of good things that he does.
Speaker 3: But he sent a letter and was only able to get ten other Congressmen to sign onto it with him, So I'm not really sure how effective this is going to be. But they signed a letter saying that members in the House should work at least as hard as the Senate. During the first portion of President Trump's second term in office, and that for the first ten weeks they should all.
Speaker 2: Work five days a week.
Speaker 3: If you weren't aware, Congress typically meets three days a week on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. They meet Mondays and Fridays as needed. Sometimes there's committee meetings that happen on either or both of those days. Certainly a lot of talks and negotiations and all of those things that go on among the leadership on those days. But your average congressman is in DC for votes on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. So chip Roy thinks that should change, and that they should show up five days a week, just like the Senate to get it done.
Speaker 2: I would have a.
Speaker 3: Different argument if his goal is to be more effective. I think instead, perhaps some of their colleagues should limit the number of speeches they give on the House floor. Perhaps they should limit some of the theatrics in committee, and perhaps they should actually do the work to get the right bills passed and do the right negotiations behind the scenes. I personally find it somewhat interesting that it's chip Roy calling for Congress to do more work when he's been one of the main congressmen to actually delay the work of the House when Kevin McCarthy was in charge, and when Mike Johnson has been in charge, And however you may feel about Kevin McCarthy specifically, or even Mike Johnson as Speaker of the House, it's always very interesting to be when someone who has been one of the biggest delayers out there is now saying, oh, now, I think we should show up more days to get work done. Well, I think there's other ways to get more work done, and it would probably be called not doing some of these delay tactics and not enjoying listening to yourself talk so much on the House floor. You know, I think there's a whole lot of speeches that happen that don't necessarily need to happen. If you want to speak out on an issue that resonates with your district, you're representing your district. Maybe you should spend more time in district talking to your people instead of giving a speech on the House floor that almost no one hears.
Speaker 2: But anyway, I'm.
Speaker 3: Not so sure his letter is going to get that far. One of funny thing that happened before the speaker vote Jim Jordan, who most people know who he has a congressman from Ohio who's been out to Colorado to speak at Lincoln Day Dinners friends with Congresswoman Lauren Bobert. He actually had to correct the media today. They were all up in arms over a tweet from Representative Bob Good saying that he was not going to vote for Mike Johnson as speaker. And so of course the media is like, oh, maybe he's not going to get the votes, maybe he can't, you know, bring this home. And Jim Jordan had to say, Bob Good is no longer a congressman. The media literally said to him, are you sure that he's not a congressman? Can you double check that? And he said he lost his primary last June. He's definitely not a congressman anymore. So his opinion on Mike Johnson as speaker actually has a relevant to the discussion. So always fun when the media has to be corrected. You're on the Dankpla Show. I'm Christy Burton Brown. When we come back, I'm go we give you an update on the Jeffco Public school situation with a chief of schools being fired for possession of child pornography.
Speaker 2: Keep it here on the Dan Kapla Show.
Speaker 7: And now back to the Dan Kapla Show podcast.
Speaker 3: As an update, if you were listening to the show oh yesterday, you might have heard that the Chief of schools in Jefferson County Public Schools was terminated by the district roughly a month ago when there was an active investigation into him by the Jefferson County Sheriff's office, but the Jeffico Public Schools had not updated parents on what was going on. And it's particularly due to the long string of arrests by employees of the Jefferson County Public Schools, including a school counselor a social worker, a number of whom were arrested for sexual assault on a child by a person in a position of trust. This happened at least five times last year in Jefferson County Public Schools. Parents were obviously concerned when the chief of schools, who is in charge of a lot of the employees, was terminated with no explanation. Yesterday, County in Maryland, their Sheriff's office released to details that David Weize, who was the chief of schools, had killed himself and committed suicide in Maryland over the holidays, and so the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department released a statement on that and then today or actually, you know what, I think it actually happened yesterday.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at the email right now.
Speaker 3: So on January second, the superintendent and board president finally released an email to parents in the district. But the way they explain it, I think is very concerning for any parents who are concerned about the priorities of this district when it comes to the.
Speaker 2: Protection of children.
Speaker 3: So they say, dear jeff Co staff and families, we learned yesterday of the passing of Jeffco's former Chief of Schools, David Wice, who he terminated last month.
Speaker 2: And here's the part you shoulday attention to.
Speaker 3: As soon as we learned of an active investigation into a personal legal issue by the Jefferson County Sheriff's office, and they go on to write more, but no explanation to parents of what this personal legal issue was. I can understand that a sheriff's department might ask the school to be cautious in the information it provides, and often you're not allowed to give a whole lot of details when there's an active investigation going on.
Speaker 2: I get that.
Speaker 3: But when you are putting out an email because there already is information out there that parents are able to see on social media, and you are in charge of this, You're the board chair of the school district, you're the superintendent of the school district, and you want to call the possession of child sexual assault material also called child pornography as a personal legal issue that he was being investigated for. I think that right there shows any parent who has a child in the Jefferson County School District the priorities and concerns of the leadership of that district. And if I were a parent who lived in that district personally, I would be very, very concerned with the way they're handling the situation, especially again when you consider all of the arrests that have happened in Jefferson County schools last year for the exact same reason. Every single arrest that I'm aware of in the Corral. Republic Radio detailed this in an article yesterday, was for sexual assault on a child by a person in position of trust, or, in the case of the chief of public schools, possession of child sexual assault material. So Jefferson County Public Schools has a whole lot to deal with right now, and I think top of their list should be being transparent with parents so they can actually figure out how to protect children and what the world is going on with employees in that district who are committing these crimes against children over and over again.
Speaker 2: Another bit of news.
Speaker 3: Since the legislative session is about to start next Wednesday, it will be in full swing. Tom Sullivan, he is a senator from a Rapahoe County known to be against gun rights pro gun control. He has set Supposedly, this has not been confirmed. I've not seen a copy of the bill, but it is being reported that he is going to bring back the assault weapons ban under a different name, and specifically.
Speaker 2: It's going to be a very long bill.
Speaker 3: I think ban control restrict a whole lot of things related to firearms. But he wants to ban firearms that accept detachable magazines. So if you have a gun that accepts those kind of magazines that you could use, he wants to ban all forms of that. That's the report the kind of bill he is expected to drop. He moved from the House to the Senate recently, so the Senate's a little harder to get that kind of legislation out of But while the Democrats were held back from having a super majority in the Senate, and while the super majority in the House was removed in November's election, they still have a definite majority control the House, the Senate, and the Governor's office. If an assault weapons ban of any form is able to get through the two houses, I'm very curious to see what Governor Polis would do with this. He's been very cagy, i would say about his take on assault assault weapons bans in the past, made a variety of statements, But when Elizabeth EPP's, a representative from Denver who lost her primary last year, ran the assault weapons ban during her term in office, it appeared the guner Poles did not support that version. But it also seemed like, based on his statements, that he might be open to other versions of assault weapons bans.
Speaker 2: So we'll see where this goes.
Speaker 3: I have no doubt that there are organizations in the state like Rocky Mountain Gun Owners and the Colorado Shooting Association who would be very willing to take these kind of laws to.
Speaker 2: Court if they pass. So plenty of.
Speaker 3: Things to watch out for in the next legislative session, like another thing that's important for people to watch out for is more attacks on charter schools. Last session, we saw a bill called a Charter School Accountability Act, And as someone who's evaluated a lot of laws and policy, and I'm a constitue lawyer as well, I definitely suggest you don't ever just take a bill title at its audit face value. They can set whatever bill title they want. I mean, sure, it has to be relevant to the subject of the bill, but they could absolutely make a bias title that's framed in the way they want to present it to the media and to people. So when we looked last year at the Charter School Accountability Act, it was very clear that it was not about accountability for charter schools.
Speaker 2: It was about shutting charter schools down.
Speaker 3: In fact, one of the main sponsors of the bill, Lisa Cutter, went around and said that the goal of this bill was to create the beginning of the end of charter schools in Colorado. Now, Colorado has the second highest charter school population in the entire nation. We have a long history of bipartisan support for charter schools school choice options for families across our state. But the Teacher's Union likes to jump into the mix and mess around with it every so often and try to take away options from parents. So they would love nothing more than to create the beginning of the end for charter schools here in Colorado. We really need to be on the watch for bills like this. Thankfully, this bill got killed in committee last year. There was a bipartisan opposition to the bill. But again, when you look into the details, you look at the states that the Democrat reps on the House Education Committee made, it wasn't a definite support for charter schools or school choice. They just thought this particular version of the bill needed work and they weren't going to go for it. I do think there's a very good piece of news in who the Democrats chose to elect as the Senate president this year.
Speaker 2: James Coleman as Senate President.
Speaker 3: He actually is a supporter of school choice, and it probably would be hard to get a bill like this flat out attacking charter schools and trying to close them down through the Senate with James Coleman as the president. Now, as we've seen with Governor Polis all the time, you can have a particular position as a Democrat if you want to that's opposed to the majority of your party, but then often and your party tries to hold you in line and make you vote with their majority, whether or not it's your personal position. We've seen Governor Polis cave numerous times on that, and then sometimes we see him vetoing bills that his party really wanted. So I think we'll see where Senator Coleman comes down on it.
Speaker 2: I have in the past.
Speaker 3: I've spoken at an event with him on the topic of school choice, and he is a strong supporter. Has run a nonprofit organization helping to get more school choice options into Colorado community.
Speaker 2: So I would expect him to be a strong supporter of that.
Speaker 3: But we will have to watch and see, as with everything else in the legislative session in Colorado, I'm Christy Burton Brown. You're here on the DANKPLA Show. When we come back from the break, we're going to welcome newly elected state.
Speaker 2: Representative Jarvis Caldwell.
Speaker 3: Who is bringing what I think is one of the most important bills of the next session to stop violent and repeat criminals from getting back out on the streets immediately after they're arrested.
Speaker 2: Keep you right here, on the Dankpla Show.
Speaker 7: And now back to the Dankaplas Show podcast.
Speaker 2: We have a great guest with us for this segment.
Speaker 3: Newly elected State Representative Jarvis Caldwell, representing Colorado Springs, is bringing what I think is one of the most important bills of this session. I'm going to bring him into the Dan Caplis Show. Now, welcome to the show, Representative Caldwell.
Speaker 4: And Christy, thanks so much for having me on.
Speaker 3: Absolutely and I know you've worked on a lot of good issues over the years in various capacities and now you get to do it at the State House representing Colorado Springs. And so I'd love for our listeners to hear about your bill banning pr bonds and maybe you could explain what those are exactly for violent and repeat criminals.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, so just to get your listeners some context here. Governor pull Us has said repeatedly that he wants when he leaves office for Colorado to be a top ten safe state. And the reality of said is is one of the number three most dangerous state right now, and we rank in the top five for a lot of things. You don't want to be ranked in the top five. Four whether that's carsift, whether that's property crime, I think we're number two nationally, whether that's cocaine use, bank robbery. I mean, we're just completely on the other end of the spectrum here. And so one of those issues we're ranked number ace nationally and violent crime, which is extremely disturbing and everybody should be concerned about that. And so what we're seeing right now with current Colorado law is that repeat violent offenders can get arrested for committing a violent crime and just bond themselves out basically. I mean you think of it as cashless veil when you think of the PR bonds, which stands for personal Recognizance bond. They get arrested and they basically sign a piece of paper saying, you know, yes, I won't commit any more crimes before my court date.
Speaker 4: And I'll show up to my court date. So they're getting arrested.
Speaker 6: For a violent crime. Remember this is a violent crime. This is not getting arrested for jaywalking. This is doing something against someone else, getting arrested for it, and then just bailing themselves out with no kind of bail whatsoever. And so what my bill is going to do is it's going to stay that that if you've been convicted of a violent crime in the last two years, or you are currently pending two or more violent crime charges, you cannot get a PR bond. Now, constitutionally, we have to have some level of bond, So it's going to set it at seventy five hundred dollars, which is pretty steep, but I think also reasonable. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And that's actually an interesting point that you bring up what level you would set that bond at, because I've been told by law enforcement officials across the state that when PR bonds aren't allowed some of the judges, we'll just get around it by granting one to two dollars bonds.
Speaker 2: Which is pretty much the same thing as a PR bond. So I'm glad that you have a little.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, and what kind of you know, this incentive is that for a riki violent criminal. You know, we've got to turn things around in the state. It's interesting someone had posted earlier today about u HAUL said that we're one of the states that are actually losing citizens, and I had commented that, you know, I was campaigning, I was going around door knocking. I would see realtor signs in people's front yard and I would say to them, you know, are you.
Speaker 4: Coming or going?
Speaker 6: Are are you buying the house or are you selling the house? And almost always they said, this is my house, I'm selling it and I'm leaving Colorado. And when I would ask them, well, why is that, it's usually cost of living and crime, and crime is something that we can address that there's not going to be a big cost to it, because right now we all know that we're in a budget crisis, which I have opinions on that as well, but this is a bill that it's not going to most likely it's not going to carry any kind of physical notes. So this is something we can get done and it's not going to cost state.
Speaker 3: Anything absolutely, and we'll keep our communities safer. We're talking with Representative Jarvis Caldwell, who is a newly elected state representative representing an area of Colorado Springs. He'll start the legislative session on Wednesday along with all the rest of the legislators. But so I agree with you that it's been very clear from voters if you look at the ballot in November, that they want criminal justice measures that keep communities safe, that are pro law enforcement to pass. And when the legislature isn't willing to do it. The people will do it for themselves. But I am curious with this particular bill. I know State Rep. Gave Evans, who's now Congressman, had run a similar bill last year. It had gotten some Democrat support, but not enough to get out of committee. So how are you feeling about your bill when it comes to bipartisan support?
Speaker 4: Absolutely so, Yes.
Speaker 6: Congressman gave Evans originally ran this still earlier this year. Like you said, it had some support from Democrats that got killed in Judiciary Committee, which I imagine is where it's going to go back to.
Speaker 4: I am going to be a member of.
Speaker 6: The Judiciary Committee, so I'm going to try to use those Yeah, thank you. I'm going to try to use those relationships on the Judiciary Committee to try to win some people over. And I appreciate that you brought up the point about the invalid initiatives that just passed recently, because that is a signal from the people of Colorado that they want to support our law enforcement and they want to clean up our streets, and so that's going to be a huge issue that I'm pushing there. As far as the bipartisan support. So Representative Shandon Bert, a Democrat, was on that bill which Congressman gave Evans earlier this year. She has signed back up on this bill. She is one of the prime sponsors. I have a Republican and the Senate signed on Senator Byron Pelton, and I'm working to secure a Democrat on that side. But the big thing I want to push here and the idea that I want to push to heered listeners. If you've been around the legislature at all, you know that if Governor Polis wants something passed, it's going to get passed, right, whether it goes to Judiciary and those are some tuck on crime members on there or not. If he wants it passed, it will get passed, even if it has to get assigned to a different.
Speaker 4: Committee to make sure it passes.
Speaker 6: So I think we really need a pressure the governor as well as the members on the Judiciary committee if that's where the bill ends up, to pass this bill. And as I told the governor's people when I met with him a few weeks ago, but the governor has two years left on his term, so yeah, he's got two years to turn things around. And all was straight up with these people, and I said, we all know it's the worst cut secret at the capital that the governor has higher ambitions one day most likely.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so you know, here's.
Speaker 6: His chance to try to turn things around in his last two years and be able to telt that one day when he pursues something different.
Speaker 2: Well exactly.
Speaker 3: And I do think that's a huge piece of what he's missing is the crime side. He hasn't done a whole lot other than say, in his State of this date addresses that his goal is to move Colorado to the tenth one of the top ten most safe estates in the nation, and as you pointed out, we are extremely far from that right now. So yeah, it'll be interesting to see if he actually gets behind these kind of bills, especially seeing the verdict from the people on last year's ballot.
Speaker 6: Right, that's exactly right. I mean, the people have spoken. When they have a chance to do this, when they have a chance to vote on cracking down on crime, they do it overwhelmingly. You know what, Let's let's save a BALLID initiative and r hit all the money and time and resources that go into getting a balid initiive pack let's just do it from a legislature.
Speaker 4: Let's do our job.
Speaker 6: We can have this thing passed and it'll be done here in a couple of months, and we can start cracking down on violent crime.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and I think the fact that you're focusing on violent and repeat criminals should be a no brainer for any elected official to want to keep those people off the streets. And you know, if they pay bond, they can still get off, but.
Speaker 2: At least they're hearing.
Speaker 3: You know, they have to have to stand in front of a judge and they have to be held accountable instead of just let out on the street immediately after being arrested.
Speaker 2: Giant problem in Colorado.
Speaker 3: If you live anywhere in the state, or you talk to any law enforcement and represent a call. Well, I know, I'm a little bit putting on the spot right here. We have one minute left. I'm curious. You said you had thoughts on the budget shortfall. Do you want to could you share a few of them in a minute?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 6: So the bottom line is is we keep hearing that. You know, the governor says it's six hundred million dollars budget deficay. Our JBC people are a Republicans they're saying it's more like one point three one point four billion dollars. Just I want the listeners and the people have called rather. Keep in mind, it's a one billion or however much shortfall from a record high budget, right from a forty two billion dollar budget.
Speaker 4: So while it is a.
Speaker 6: Deficit, it's a deficit from a record high budget. And so what I'm doing with other Republicans, we're putting together a list of what we feel is wasteful spending, kind of like Ran Paul does with his Best of this Year in December. And so whenever we want a public safety build to pass, like securing our schools more or helping our police officers, when we're told that there's no money for that, we're going to push forward a list and say, okay.
Speaker 4: Well what about all these?
Speaker 6: A budget is a replection.
Speaker 4: Of your priorities.
Speaker 6: Yes, it's a replection of your priorities and your commitments to constituents.
Speaker 4: So where are your priorities?
Speaker 2: Love it?
Speaker 3: That's an excellent question to ask any elected official, where are your priorities?
Speaker 2: And then make sure they can prove it out.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: We have to take a break on The Dankapa Show but Representative called, well, well, loved having you here.
Speaker 2: I hope you come back and talk to us during the session.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, thanks so much for having me. Christy.
Speaker 3: All right, that was Representative Jarvis Caldwell. I'm Christy Burton Brown here on the Dan Kapla Show.
Speaker 7: You're listening to the Dan Kaplis Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Dan Kaplis Now. I'm Christy Burton Brown and for Dan.
Speaker 3: Today, the US Surgeon General is coming out with a new warning today, claiming that alcohol is the third leading cause of cancer now behind tobacco and obesity. I on to play a clip for you, but the Surgeon General is basically recommending that they're actually have warning labels placed on alcohol products.
Speaker 2: Now, which would be a huge, huge change. But here you go, all.
Speaker 8: Right, the US Surgeon General is sounding the alarm about the link between alcohol and increased cancer risk in a new advisory. He's linking alcohol consumption to seven of cancer and is calling for warning labels on alcoholic beverages just like the ones you see on cigarettes. Stenen's Meg Trell is joining us now with the details. This is quite something. I'm very curious to hear. What these links are.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Sarah, I mean, this is the direction that the scientific research has been headed for some time. We've increasingly been hearing that no amount of alcohol is really recommended for your health, and that really goes against the suggestions we've been hearing since the nineties that maybe alcohol, at least in moderation, maybe red wine, maybe it's good for you. Increasingly that's been going in the opposite direction, and so today the US Surgeon General is issuing this advisory, noting that alcohol is the third leading preventable cause of cancer in the United States, after tobacco and obesity.
Speaker 3: So if you're making New Year's resolution still, if you're a little bit behind and creating your list, maybe staying away from alcohol could be a good thing to add to your list. With this new warning, I'm curious when it comes to all the health and nutrition topics, if there's going to be a shift towards I don't know, healthier living, more nutrition encouraged by the government once Trump takes office, If Robert F. Kennedy Junior RFK is appointed as Health and Human Services Secretary, if the Senate decides to confirm him or not, you know, there's a lot of debate over some of his positions and whether he goes too far in some regards. Certainly I have issues with his stances on the life and abortion issue. However, I have also seen that President Trump is appointing pro life people to the positions that typically will deal with the abortion pill and planned parenthood funding and other issues like that. So presuming pro life people actually get to say in those areas, then I think RFK Junior's appointment is an interesting decision because it really would push the conversation towards real health. There's so many areas when you look at health and nutrition that Europe is so far ahead of the United States on, and companies that manufacture cereal and basic foods that we're all eating and feeding our kids on a daily basis are produced in a very different way in Europe and the United States, proving that these companies actually can create this food with fewer chemicals, fewer dies, and all these things that clearly lead to giant health risks for people. So this alcohol warning I found interesting actually coming from the Biden Administration's surgeon General, and as a reporter was indicating from CNN, research has been pointing in this direction for quite some time. But now finally it's just clearing everyone in the face. So the Surgeon General recommending that those warning labels actually get put on so that people know the risks when they are consuming alcohol. And I'm a big fan of people being aware of what they're doing. I think transparency accountability, whether it's from corporations, companies, whether it's from the government. Elected officials almost can never have enough transparency or accountability. People should be aware of the risks of what they're engaging in. And I'm all four people researching and figuring it out for themselves. But there's no reason that companies or the government shouldn't disclose known risks when they are putting something in front of people. That tends to make society better, when people have more information rather than less. I'm Christy Burton Brown. You're on the Dan Kapla show. You can call in anytime eight five to five four zero five eight two five five. Let's see. I think today some of the biggest news really was Mike Johnson getting reelected a speaker, not a huge surprise to a lot of people. He claimed he had the votes counted and he did. President Trump coming in at the end to call to Republicans who flipped their votes away from Johnson back to him before the tally was actually counted. But I'll play this other clip from Democrat Representative Clark claiming that she had really heard from the American people before the vote.
Speaker 5: Jeff Raes, yes to belt, Happy new year to you, and the Democrats are going to be at full strength at two point fifteen and committed to voting for Haking Jeffries First Speaker, because he has shown time and time again that he is committed to bringing the concerns the American people have to Congress and returning solutions to them. And we have heard loudly and clearly from the American people. They are concerned with the cost of living, whether that is housing or childcare, making sure that we have affordable groceries. They want good public schools to send their children to, and make sure that we are continuing to have clean air and clean water.
Speaker 2: In this country.
Speaker 5: Those are the issues we need to get to work on. Those are the issues that Haking Jeffries has been a leader on. That is why he'll have one hundred percent Democratic support today.
Speaker 8: Joining us now is Democratic conson We made.
Speaker 3: Hair repeat of that, but What's interesting about that clip is that if that is actually what Democrats have been focused on in the November election, maybe they would actually be in control of Congress right now and actually able to elect a speaker instead of having Mike Johnson, a Republican as speaker. Those issues that are representative Clark brought up, like affordability issues, education issues, are not the ones that Democrats were campaigning on. They were campaigning if you looked at Kamala Harris's campaign largely on abortion and largely on criticisms of President Trump and Republicans, not with new ideas on how to solve affordability and education and crime issues across the US. So that is exactly why we do not have Speaker hackem Jeffries and instead have Speaker Mike Johnson re elected today on a first ballot, which many people are saying is very very impressive, especially when you see how many ballots it took to actually elect him originally when there was that big fight over the speaker and how Kevin McCarthy was let go. Oh, one extra change was actually made in the rules, because they make a lot of rule changes when they real x speakers. Is that now instead of one Republican or Democrat being able to ask to remove the speaker and have a vote on it, and the party would be determined on who the speaker is. Democrats can't ask it for a Republican speaker. It actually got moved to nine members. Now you have to have nine people asking for a vote to remove the speaker. So a small change on that, but I think that's definitely better than one. I'm not sure how they arrived on nine, but one is definitely overkill and just delays the process of actually getting things done for the American people. If you stay tuned here on the Dan Kapla Show, I'm Christy Burton Brown and in the next hour I'm going to.
Speaker 2: Bring in State Senator Barbara Kirkmeyer, one of.
Speaker 3: The most powerful Republican senators at the Capitol, who sits on the Joint Budget Committee and can bring a lot of insight into the state's budget shortfall debates between Democrats and Republicans of exactly how big that shortfall is.
Speaker 2: Is it six hundred million or is it over a billion dollars?
Speaker 3: Senator Kirkmeyer will definitely shed light on that when she joins us at the top of the next hour, keep it here on the day and capital.
Speaker 6: The show