Speaker 1: So, Michael, look, you and I have been shouting from the rooftops for months about literally the exact same thing. The Republicans are not beating the Democrats. The Democrats are beating themselves. And just as momentum should be building for the midterms, the rise and dominance of the Democratic Socialists of America the DSA, they have handed the GOP literally the greatest political gift imaginable on a silver platter. Question I need to ask you, why is the party allowing its loudest, most polarizing fringe to hijack the steering wheel when the stakes could not be higher.
Speaker 2: I think part of the reason is a CNN poll which came out this past weekend and showed that a third of Democrats regard themselves as Democratic Socialists. So you can't say it's this really tiny group that ought to be stomped out by the remainder of the party. It's a significant number of Rats who are now regarding themselves as such. I've been waiting for a Sister Soldija kind of moment to take place where Aram Emmanuel or a Josh Shapiro lays down the law and says, much like James Carvo and much like Bill Maher just did you know mar saying he'd sooner vote for Sarah Palin. I've been waiting for one of the presidential prospects for twenty twenty eight to do that, and they haven't. They haven't, And I think that they're concerned frankly a about the size and B that this is where passion resides and in the nominating contest. These are the people who are going to come out, So why piss them off at this stage?
Speaker 1: Right, except for the fact that during general elections you tend not to see these far left or the far right fringes. Yes, they may show up, but the majority, and I call us the tired majority. We constitute now like fifty six fifty seven percent of the country. They're not going on these fringe.
Speaker 2: We're gonna find out a lot tomorrow, right, because tomorrow you've got this Michigan race. It looks like Abdul l Sayed is going to win the race for the Democratic nod at a time when he's polling double digits ahead of his Democratic opponent, but he's also behind by double digits against Mike Rodgers.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of time on the clock.
Speaker 2: You know who knows what happens that that ball bounces like a football in different directions. It seemingly is going to be an example of winning the battle and losing the war. And there are a number of instances like this. But you know, the odds are also nevertheless on the side of Democrats to retake the House, the Senate. I don't know, it comes down to Michigan, it comes down to Maine. It seems unlikely to me. But assuming Democrats have a big year, and assuming that there are a handful of Democratic socialists who win, I think a sense of false bravado could come out of the midterms for Democrats. And now they'll say, hey, let's roll with all this passion and go even further left for the twenty twenty eight presidential.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's gonna be a big failure. Look, you know what, you brought up his name, and I want to talk about him for a second, James Carville, because he just said that he's openly threatening to walk away from the Democratic Party entirely as I did. It figures like Hassan Piker become its defining voice, and I'm seeing it firsthand, literally right here in New York City, with Democratic socialists like Zoron Mamdani. When these lifelong, battle tested party loyalists like a James Carville are ready to turn in their key cards, isn't that proof that the brand has hit a tipping point? And where does the mainstream majority actually draw the line?
Speaker 2: It has hit a tipping point at least with Carville's demo of the Democratic Party. But as you know, the younger you slide on that scale, the more acceptance there is of demoocratic socialism. We could be witnessing a generational change on these issues. And you know what I see unifying many of the Democratic Socialists is a run against the status quo. Frankly, in the same way that the Tea Party activists gained their traction.
Speaker 3: Which gave rise.
Speaker 2: I think to Maga, there's actually a lot of discontent with the establishment that they have in common.
Speaker 1: Yeah, except look what happened with the Tea Party. They failed. They failed miserably. Yeah, they were a force for a very short period of time. Because when you start talking about free this and free that, free grothery, free transportation, and then they can't deliver on it, well, that brings people to a reckoning that I don't know maybe their ideology just doesn't work.
Speaker 3: Michael.
Speaker 2: The Democratic Socialists had a gathering in Chicago last week, and to the extent the sessions and information about them were publicly available, I read the agenda items. What jumped out for me was a conversation that they were planning on organizing in which they were using the word You couldn't.
Speaker 3: Make this stuff up.
Speaker 2: They were using the word comrade to refer to one another. It's written for, you know, a Republican campaign commercial. It's got to be music to the ears of the Trump white House. And with a literally one billion dollar advantage over Democrats for the midterm, I suspect you're going to be hearing a lot of that comrade talk now, by the way, you always do every two or four years, you hear the opponents paint one another as far left, far right.
Speaker 3: But this time the word.
Speaker 2: Socialist is being accepted by a number of the Democrats, and I just don't think that a majority of Americans are ready.
Speaker 3: To be accepting of that.
Speaker 2: They need a Frank Lunz, They need someone on the Democratic side of the aisle to come up with an you know, it's like death tax instead of estate tax. You need a different way to brand this, and you've got to cut loose the defund elements.
Speaker 3: You've got to.
Speaker 2: Cut loose the idea of abolishing the Senate. There are aspects of it I think you can sell as a throwback to the New Deal, but not not calling it socialism.
Speaker 1: Yeah not. Meanwhile, that sort of brings me to what I was saying before. Where I stand today because I myself have officially shed the party label and I identify as an independent. You know, and we've been on the shows together. As a son of a Holocaust survivor, I could not stay anchored to a ship that keeps steering toward the extreme margins social mar Conash Listen, you and yourself have carved out a career evaluating the political landscape from a postpartisan vantage point. Where do you sit in this current realignment? And do you think that moderate, common sense voters are being forced into political homelessness? Oh?
Speaker 3: Come on, you're preaching to the choir.
Speaker 2: You are speaking to the lead plaintiff in a currently pending legal action in the Commonwealth Court of Pennsylvania seeking to open Pennsylvania's closed primaries. My state, your state, and Florida are the big three among about sixteen. It depends on your definition. But we are pure closed primary states. And you know, Mayor Mondani I see says that he's quite content. I think those were his words with keeping New York a closed primary system. The way to water down the fringes is to accentuate the middle and let more people vote.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, look, Mamdani, by the way, his favorability numbers right now are well below fifty percent. And I have a funny feeling that the more that this stupidity that comes out of his mouth, the more that I'm telling you he's going to be and find himself less and less favorable on a daily basis because the things that he says they're just not possible to be done.
Speaker 2: You know the thing there, there's the category of the things that he says that Frankly, I never thought we're going to take flight. But some of the actions, I'm ninety miles away, you're there and you're caught up in it. But the idea of doxing wealthy people docs who you think, who you think have a pieeditare, I think that's just outrageous.
Speaker 3: I mean, that might really some hardcore eat rich stuff.
Speaker 1: When I called you the other day, and I said to you, I was one of the first people to get that letter from the Department of Finance telling me that I'm going to owe an additional like fifty thousand dollars because my primary residence is a piere de taire, right, because you got to say, it's snooty when you're paying that kind of money. I don't have a second home. It is the place that I have lived. I have filed my IT two one, that's the city resident tax for that at that apartment address for thirty years. Give her take write something like that twenty seven years. But I've been living in New York City paying that IT to A one tax since nineteen ninety two, and yet they don't even cross reference. This is called sloppiness. This is called mamdani. And you know what it's really They're asking me. In order to prove, to prove to them that it's not a pied deterre, I have to give them my name, my address, my cell number, my email, my social Security number. They want my driver's license, my tax return, and if I own the property in an LLC or a trust, they want those documents too.
Speaker 2: That's some pretty authoritarian stuff. For a democratic socialist. It makes no sense from a financial standpoint either, because you're going to drive people right out of that city.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they don't believe. So, you know, I want to ask you this as well. When you take a stand against the fall left, the mob doesn't offer debate, They come for your throat. Now me, I get targeted constantly, especially now by the far left activists who act like screaming into their social media void is an actual political strategy. Are you taking the same heat from the radical wing on your end? And why has noisy online rage replaced genuine coalition building in modern politics?
Speaker 2: Well, I get it from both ends, and that's what that's the metric by which I evaluate having had a pretty good show. I'm not deliberately, I'm not deliberately looking to antagonize anybody.
Speaker 3: But I think the answer is this.
Speaker 2: I think that the audience has become so accustomed to people who speak for a living or right for a living, the pundit class being all doctrinaire left, all doctrinaire right, that when there's someone with nuance, which frankly is reflective of a majority of Americans, I happen to think most Americans are a mixed bag. Maybe they're fiscally conservative and socially more progressive or liberal, but that's not the way it gets portrayed on TV. And the moment that you step out of one of those ideological silos, you become roadkill. The only part that offends me is the part that they tag someone who's not doctrinaire as lacking opinions or lacking, you know, some type of a stake in this game. I have plenty of opinions, they're just not fake opinions to get me on TV.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: You know, I've been this left of center my entire life. I am as you just described. I am a fiscal conservative and a social moderate. I've always been that. All of a sudden now because I'm not saying vile things about the president, because I have now ended this eight year feud with the president that we're I don't know, we call each other back as friends. Now that all of a sudden I'm a trader. The attacks on my religion, the attacks on me personally, the vile manner that they text me, they email, meet, they make phone calls to me. You know, it's it to me. I don't I've never seen this sort of vitriolic hatred directed at an individual. Again from both sides. The far magna, they'll never like me. The far left now absolutely despises me, and they refuse to acknowledge that my political positions have not changed.
Speaker 2: So on both my CNN show and my Serious XM program, I've talked at length about Anthony Fauci, the testimony Doctor Fauci before that Senate committee last week. The short version of my view is that I see law fair having been used against now President Trump during the course of the campaign. The four indictments, the Alvin Bragg conviction in particular, I think all were to the benefit of President Trump because it looked like and I think it made him, in some quarters, a sympathetic figure. Having said that, Having said that, in the same commentary, I put together this laundry list of all of those Trump opponents who've now been subject to some type of legal action from DJ or law enforcement at a different level. You know, James Comy and Jack Smith and Fannie Willis and Letitia James and Eric Swalwell and Adam Schiff, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. And so I don't embrace the law being used in either of those cases. But to your point, for laying it out both for and against Trump, forur and against all of those opponents, people went, you know, batshit on Saturday and then on radio because they just don't understand that someone is willing to be critical of both.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's that's what happened. Look, I was one of those people that law fair was not just instituted against once, but actually twice and ended up doing prison time for it. I actually wanted to talk about for a second party stewardship, or let's just say the lack thereof. I myself have been extremely critical of Ken Martin for a long time when he took over the DNC, which felt to me like swapping out I don't know one bumbling visionalist idiot in Jamie Harrison for another. How is it possible that a party that represents almost fifty million Americans cannot produce a single transformational leader with a clear, compelling vision to literally pull them out of the tailspin?
Speaker 3: I thought you were going to say something else.
Speaker 2: I thought you were going to say, how can a party in a midterm election where historically, I think only twice since World War Two and the midterms come every two years, every four years.
Speaker 3: Pardon me?
Speaker 2: How could they be so underwater financially? And what happened to the odutopsy. There's an interesting story today about how maybe there was and maybe there wasn't. The New York Post has it a missing chapter that talked about some of President Biden's issues. I think they're trying to hurd too many cats, you know, and parties don't strive to be the party of the big tent anymore. Maybe that's what the Democratic Party is.
Speaker 3: Is seeking to do.
Speaker 2: I just I see a situation where they could shoot themselves in the political foot because they yield too much power to individuals at too far and extreme. But time's gonna tell. We're gonna find out something tomorrow in Michigan. We're gonna find out more in Wisconsin. We'll see what happens in the midterm, and then what do what do the Rama Manuels and the Josh Shapiroes do as compared to the AOC and Rocanna and Bernie end of the party. I'm really interested to see how that plays out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you and me both, So Michael, answer me this double standard. If you go on television and you blast Donald Trump, You get showered with praise, viral clips, subscriber counts, media applause, yay, Smarcanish right. But the second you agree with him on even one logical policy, the cancel culture machine they ramp up to destroy you. How did we get to a point where agreeing on basic facts across the aisle is treated as treason? And more importantly, how does this atmosphere do anything but strangle free thought and damage the American democracy?
Speaker 2: Okay, methinks you're getting blasted from the left these days, which is why, which is why you're.
Speaker 3: Asking this question?
Speaker 2: And I guess I guess it's because they viewed you as being a kindred spirit and didn't recognize that you choose to be more independently minded. And there's sort of a blind trust that's anticipated these days. You've got to be one hundred percent on our team or you're not on our team.
Speaker 3: I reject that. I'll tell you something.
Speaker 2: One of the highest compliments ever paid to me was by Bill Maher, who when we were together when I did his show, said to me, you have no team, and I knew exactly how he meant it as a compliment that you.
Speaker 3: Don't feel the need to suit up in one.
Speaker 2: Jersey red or blue, and that's just not what the norm is in the media, and people have grown accustomed to, you know, it's like Pavlov's dog, always getting their reward on both ends of the spectrum, and the minute that they don't, they you know, they they want to toss you out as being a turncoat.
Speaker 3: That's the best I can do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I get cold. If I just got called a turncoat. I'm f static because that's not the terms that they use. Now I hear question, Mike, last question, because finally I want to throw out the talking points and I want to get right to the raw, uncomfortable core of this entire political circus. So, Mike again, look at my track record when Congress called. I didn't hide behind legal contortions or plead the fifth one hundred and eleven times like doctor FOUCHI did. I showed up. I honored my legal subpoenas, and I gave direct answers under oath to every single question. And remember I did seven of those congressional hearings like thousands of questions. And recently, after an eight year feud, what I do, I reconciled with a friend of fifteen years. Mind you, again, as I said before, I have not changed a single one of my core principles. Where I agree, I agree. Where I disagree, I disagree just like you do. That's called being an adult. And yet again, the second that you step outside that partisan script, the media, the medium machine turns on you. So here's my final most explosive question and feel have we both been useful idiots in a rigged game where not the party actually wants resolution because keeping Americans terrified, furious, and forced into these I don't know, rigid partisan camps is the only way that both sides maintain their ratings, their money, and their control.
Speaker 2: I don't believe that the American people and I have dated. To back this up, I'll give you one citation. It's Morris Fiorina's book which is called Unstable Majorities, which he recently updated. There has not been a shift in the last fifty seventy five years in terms of where the American people stand. People are pretty much where they were on the size of the societal safety net, how we should defend the country, abortion or guns, just hasn't been a significant shift. More accepting, perhaps of same sex marriage. But with very few exceptions, we haven't had a dramatic shift. What we have had is party sorted. The parties have become much more doctrinaire in their leadership and so to the media, and they have this symbiotic relationship where they keep one another in power, largely in closed primary states like yours and mine, where they get to determine who will win by determining who's going to win the primary. So there's a financial incentive baked in to preclude the type of independence that you are now showing.
Speaker 1: That's the answer, you know, because again going back to now Ken Martin, and it was the same thing under Jamie Harrison. Yes, I heard from them almost on a daily basis. Actually, let me rephrase that I heard from them multiple times a day. But not with ads that would show a political point. Not with an ad that would talk about something that all Americans right now except for the uber wealthy, of concern about paying mortgages, groceries, gasoline affordability, etc. Now I would get the text message, and I know you get them to the text messages, the emails, Hey, Michael Smerconish just raised a million dollars wear behind him. Send eighteen dollars, twenty five dollars fifty I would get those three four times a day. That's all that. Like Ken Martins, you don't win elections off of how much money you raise. I tell you that there are people that make a ton of money off of it. But that's not where elections are won and lost. It's with an ideology and standing to principle. And you know what, I don't see that coming out of the Democratic Party. And I do truly believe that they are handing Republicans the greatest gift that any Republican can ask for, and that is to keep doing what they're doing, keep backing these Democratic socials like Graham Platner away from the Democratic Party as again, the son of a Holocaust survivor. I could not, I could not stomach watching people like Bernie Sanders, AOC or even like the Chuck Schmuck Schumers. Go ahead, raise this guy's hand as if he is the next coming of the Democratic Party.
Speaker 2: God, he should have been done. He should have been done with the tattoo. But you know, there are the antipathy and hatred of President Trump in some quarters. They're blind, They're just blind. They want a fighter. They want someone they perceive as being willing to knee him in the groin, and consequently they hung in for far too long with him, and I think cemented Susan Collins's position.
Speaker 3: That's what I think in that case.
Speaker 1: You know, we've actually watched them try to kick Trump many many times. They've tried to kneecap them, kick them in the nuts, whatever it might be. They've tried it. It hasn't worked. Maybe maybe it's time for them to take a different strategy. Maybe they should start concentrating again on the kitchen table issues that Americans are concerned about, instead of their platform being I hate Trump, Let's go after Trump. Let's win by being the anti Trump party.
Speaker 3: Well, I think work. It might work in the midterms.
Speaker 2: It might work in the midterms because passion is going to drive who comes out in an off presidential year election. It won't work in twenty twenty eight. There's going to be a lot to parse and analyze when this midterm is over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I plan on having you back at that point in time. We have a lot more to talk about.
Speaker 3: My friend.
Speaker 1: I thank you for joining me. Okay, you might know, you know Unleashed appreciate your brother. I will see you soon.