Speaker 1: It's so great to be here with Jack Flaherty off the streets of Olive Avenue and Burbank to pitching for the Dodgers. Thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 2: Appreciating always, always absolutely going to be here.
Speaker 1: Hey, had to get you before we go to Saint Louis. You know, they're all chomping at the bit for some Jack Flerty back in the Loo.
Speaker 2: You know, it'll be good to go back there first time. Spent a lot of years there, a lot of good memories, a lot of good people, you know, looking forward to it, but looking forward us winning some ball games too.
Speaker 1: Jack. I was thinking back to twenty eighteen when you were bursting onto the scene, Walker Buehler was bursting onto the scene. You guys faced off against each other twice. Everybody was billing it Flerity versus Bueller the future. How surreal is it or ironic that you're now teammates with him?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we've talked about it. It's it's kind of funny you look back on, you know, in twenty eighteen facing off against each other, those were two of the funnest matchups I've ever had, just going against him, and you know, we had gotten to know each other a little bit prior to that, and you know, those starts was a lot of fun, and you know, it's it's good to be his teammate now and be able to kind of work alongside him.
Speaker 1: What's the feeling you're getting from him, the sense you're getting from him in anticipation of tonight's start.
Speaker 2: He's ready to go. He's he's been looking forward to it. He's been anticipating it. You know who he is, just from knowing him for years and watching him the way he goes about it, way he goes and competes. You know, he's been kind of trapping out the bit.
Speaker 1: Talking to Clayton Kershaw, he's been impressed by you. What's it mean to you to know that a guy like him you were winning your high school championship in twenty thirteen when he was at the height of his powers. Also being teammates with him and him appreciating your love for the game of baseball.
Speaker 2: Kind of crazy, a little bit surreal to hear that. You know, I've been lucky enough to have had conversations with him in the past, you know, prior to being teammates with him, and then you know, be able to be here and watch the way he just that he goes about his business. Way he goes about his work is you know, it's second and none. It's it's fun to see and you know, just to have have those moments and you know, be able to talk over some things and you know, go go over a couple of different things has been just uh, you know, a pleasure and you know, complete learning experience.
Speaker 1: You being back with the Dodgers, it's gone really well the first two starts. How have you been able to just control everything and still have the poise on the mound to deliver you.
Speaker 2: Know, at the end of the day, it comes down to trying to win games. And that's that's what we're all here for, is what we're here to do. You know, we want to enjoy it and and enjoy every second that we get in the in the downtime and enjoy that the second way cross the lines and uh, you know that that's where that's where the game starts and where we have to just go out and compete. So it's been a lot of compartmentalizing and you know, holding down feelings and whatnot and enjoying those and the times after starts, but uh, it's just also been a lot of fun. You got a great group of guys here and great staff. Everything is just you know, it's it's been. Uh, it's so far, so good, and just hope to continue it.
Speaker 1: You told me that you went out to watch Tyler glass now throw his bullpen. What makes you do that? What's the motivation? What do you feel like? Are you trying to pick up something or are you just loving the game?
Speaker 2: I mean ironic, it just goes back to the days in Saint Louis. It's just what we were taught to do. It's how it was with uh with Wayno and uh, you know it was go go watch your starters pens and and be a group, be a cohesive unit. And uh you know that's part of that's part of it was just took out and do that. So it was you know, whenever you get a chance. Sometimes schedules don't always line up, but whenever you get a chance to to go out and watch a guy's pen and just you know, kind of watch them work. And because we spend so much time with each other, whether it's on the bench or uh, you know, just our schedules are different than everybody else's and that we know exactly when we're playing. You spend a lot of time and you just bounce ideas off each other. You talk ball and uh, you know when you know what somebody, when you can watch them and know what they're you know, referring to when they say something, it's it's a little bit easier to make those conversations.
Speaker 1: That's so cool to hear because everybody has this perception that being a starting pitcher, you're on an island, you're by yourself, you're an individual. But to hear it that way, it makes it seem like it's more of a cohesive thing.
Speaker 2: That's what you want it to be. You want it to be a unit, and you want everybody to feed off of each other, and you just want everybody want to start to the next every you know, day to day, Uh, because we all we all get it. We've all had good starts, we've had bad starts. We've had those ones that are in between that are kind of gah, you're not sure how to feel about it, and uh, you just try to make it as much of a little unit within this within this team, andever you want everybody in of itself to work together and and and and be a cohesive you know unit. And then as you know, starters, you want to be able to to take care of each other.
Speaker 1: All Right, before I let you go, I'm sure mom's watching. How has mom taking all this in? And with you being a dodger and now you know two start saying, going on to your third tomorrow.
Speaker 2: She's been good. Mom's mom. You know, it's been uh, it's been fun seeing her a little bit more just just kind of being back home. But yeah, it's mom's mom. Maybe some home meals, a couple more of those, for sure.
Speaker 1: Thanks a lot, Jack, appreciate your time and always great to see you.
Speaker 2: Absolutely thank you.
Speaker 1: There he is the man straight from the eight one eight, the great Jack Flaherty