Speaker 1: Vogue magazine put out an article that suggested maybe jen X people born between nineteen sixty five and nineteen eighty might be the coolest generation and got it all right, heck you, that's what I say too.
Speaker 2: I believe the article is written by a millennial too. Yes it was, yeah, and we'll get into that in just a second. But I hope you guys checked out our social media. There was a video that I posted from a woman that I met. Her name is Aaron, and I had a separate It was a business lunch with her, and she had told me a great story about listening to JB and I when she was a little girl and growing up, and so after the lunch, I asked her to retell the story and it was pretty cool, very cool. She was a girl that had a tough childhood and from the time she was eleven, you know, all the way for many years after, she would get up early in the morning and walk to school hours before school started and sit outside of school waiting for school to start and listen to us.
Speaker 1: And she was like, you guys were like a family. And it was just a kind of a cool video. And I was as I watched it and as she told the story, I was like, this, that makes it all worth it, you know what I mean? You can connect with one person like that, And we were comforting to her and she j she said, you guys were the only normal thing in my life, Like I knew that my family was going to be there on the radio and listen to you guys.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it makes me want to give her a hug.
Speaker 4: I was just annoyed that you didn't, Tiger, because I wanted to follow her. She's adorable, she is, and it was a sweet story and I just wanted to connect.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I'll find her. I'll get her Instagram for you, JB, and I'll find out that the stalking began, yes exactly.
Speaker 4: No, I just thought it was sweet, like she just she's there there, she was telling you the story, and they're just there was something in her face and her expression. I go, oh, I just adore And at the end, you were like, can I give you a hug or something like that?
Speaker 5: Right, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's it.
Speaker 4: And I think everyone who watched that video wanted to give her a hug, and we didn't even know why.
Speaker 1: Right exactly, You're right, something about the way her voice was and the way she looked and she told the story, and uh, it was.
Speaker 5: It was touching. Put it that way, very very touching.
Speaker 1: So you can find that on our Instagram at JB Sandy ATX. You can also find it on our Facebook page search the JB and Sandy Morning Show, and Aaron, if you're out there listening, that that story that you shared made it worth it, you know, because it's you know, the early hours are tough, you know what I mean, And so doing that it was glad.
Speaker 5: It's just like I was watching it as kind of a radio nerd.
Speaker 1: I was like, that's how you connect with listeners right there. You don't connect with listeners by doing wacky prank phone calls. Second, Yeah, that type of thing. It's never been our style, and it's we've often JB. Would you agree been misunderstood on our approach to doing this because we never did the things that everyone else was doing.
Speaker 4: Those are all fine and entertaining, but you can get those kind of things in your life anywhere.
Speaker 5: Right exactly.
Speaker 1: And I don't think you build a connection with another person that way, you know what I mean. Anyway, So let's talk about an article in Vogue that was basically said Generation X might be the coolest generation. She said, despite being over shadowed by debates about Gen Z and millennials.
Speaker 5: So the girl that wrote it, her name is Daisy Jones and Tricia. You are right.
Speaker 1: She is a millennial and writes for Vogue. But she makes a lot of good points about gen X. I'm a guess about ninety nine percent of our audience listening right now is Jena. Yeah, I think so, born between sixty five and nineteen eighty. The cultural impact that she points out that gen X shaped nineteen nineties culture with the music, the films, and the literature that came out in nineteen nineties. The style and the attitude of Gen X's the fashion, she says, a carefree, slacker vibe, contrast with modern trends like skincare obsession. Because in the eighties and the eighties and the nineties, gen X we were like just doing what we wanted, right, it was we weren't following Were we following trends?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean I think we were a little bit. It kind of depends on different what age you were. Yeah, but they were cool trends compared to some of the weird stuff that is trendy these days. You know, when you get the trends from TikTok and social media, you know what I mean. Yeah, it's a different kind of of trends. I feel like that we followed.
Speaker 1: She also points out in this article again this is an author from Vogue magazine saying that, you know, Gen X was probably the coolest, which I think we would all agree because we are that. But she talks about the icons of Gen x X and Jenek put out a lot of icons.
Speaker 5: Madonna, Michael Jackson, Prince.
Speaker 1: Edbie Murphy, Tom Cruise, Debbie Harry. It goes on and on, John Hughes, Wow, Robert Dowdy Junior, John, Johnny Depp, I mean, Axel Rose. It goes on and on of the quote unquote icons that come from from Generation X.
Speaker 5: But I always thought, go ahead, Jim, I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: No, I just say one of the I think, and I'm not gonna say one's better than the other. It's always different. But one of the things that I think about being a Gen X or that we're so fortunate is we got to grow up analog and then go fully digital, meaning we didn't have the Internet. Our kids grew up fully digital. Yeah, we grew up on analogy. We're the last generation to be analog, where you go out and play until the sun goes down.
Speaker 2: And you didn't always know what your other friends were doing, what you were getting left out of exactly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it didn't matter.
Speaker 2: Right, you didn't care because you were playing with the people who were right in front of you. Our daughter, they all track each other. Let me give you know where everyone is it every moment.
Speaker 5: I give you a great example of that.
Speaker 1: So on Saturday, Landry and I went up to the middle school track for a running workout and we're there and all of a sudden, her friend Miley shows up and she was like, She's like, oh yeah, I saw on the find my app that you guys were here at the track, so I thought I'd come work out with you.
Speaker 5: Yeah. That's different world. Yeah right, Wow, that was my mind was blown.
Speaker 4: When we were that age, we we ended up at the same place because there was leftover construction.
Speaker 5: Would yes, we all up there. Oh we can build stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were fairal we were just Jamie, you're you're right. We experienced the world way differently than the millennials.
Speaker 4: The gen z's did you had to You had to entertain yourself right every single day.
Speaker 2: I don't think that our bodies are built to wake up and instantly know all of the horrible, terrible things that are going on around the world, all of the bad things that happened in your city while you were asleep. All that does is just produce so much more anxiety, and then it makes parents parent differently than when our parents would be like, do not come back in this house until it's dark outside.
Speaker 4: Yeah, national news becomes local news in the modern world. So when we were growing up the town over, children could be disappearing right and left, and you didn't know, You.
Speaker 2: Had no idea, you had no clue, So your day right, so your parents didn't lock you in the house.
Speaker 4: It still now there could be something happening across the states over and it puts the fear in you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I don't think we're supposed to know, you know what I mean by that.
Speaker 3: Brains are meant to on all of that stress and information.
Speaker 1: I did see a really interesting interview with this woman that pointed out that you can literally trace back the helicopter parenting, the over protective parenting, trace it right back to the movie Stranger Danger.
Speaker 5: Which was the.
Speaker 1: Walsh Yes yep, and he said you can literally go back to win. That movie aired on network television as the day that The Helicopter Parent was born. And kids stopped playing outside because you were afraid that I'm super afraid that they were gonna be kidnapped, which I.
Speaker 5: Mean, that's a fear, of course, every the odd odds.
Speaker 2: Are also, though, don't you remember when you were sent outside and you couldn't come back in like you're you'd be out doing stuff, not getting in trouble.
Speaker 3: You had some friend.
Speaker 2: Who'd be like, let's go do this that you knew you weren't supposed to do, and you have to rely on yourself to go over in your brain, what would happen if my mom finds out?
Speaker 3: What are my consequences? Am I willing to? Like you had to make the decision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Now kids aren't allowed to play outside by themselves, so the bad kid doesn't have a chance to put you in a position to have to decide am I.
Speaker 5: Going to be good? Am I going to There's no Chris McCormick anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no kids to get you in trouble.
Speaker 2: Because your parents are right there and tracking you at all times.
Speaker 4: Do you sometimes think about how many times, growing up as a kid of the seventies you evaded death?
Speaker 5: Oh oh yeah, bazillion times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so many times.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's so many, many times.
Speaker 4: Oh, and then even as a teenager, just the way I live, like, I can't believe we're still here, Like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's amazing we're alive. Yeah, I mean, anyone can say that.
Speaker 4: It's funny because you talk about helicopter parents and I'm like, my daughter's twenty three, and I remember saying to this when.
Speaker 5: She was twenty.
Speaker 4: I would go, I would say to my daughter, I go, my parents didn't know where I was. At your age, we might have gone a month or more without talking, like while I was in school and just off doing things like where I was.
Speaker 1: Hey, dude, they had to on television, had to put up a message at ten o'clock every night asking parents if they knew where their children were.
Speaker 5: Literally, literally, it's ten o'clock, do you know where your children are? That's how out of touch they were to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that had to be reminded to see if your kids were at home. Remarkable, But I will I'll say, gen X got it right, I think, yeah, definitely, we're fortunate, don't you think?
Speaker 4: No? When I think, when I also think about it, like not only did we get to grow up analog, which was super cool, but we were also prior to our generation. You you went to school and you got a job with a company and you worked there until you retired. Yeah, we were the first to go f that. Yes, and just like or I'll work for myself, like it just we were the first to just do that, just to and it was still that way. We were right on the cusp because when you know, all my friends were graduating college, like, oh I got an offer from such and such, you know accounting firm, and that's where they're going to work in del a d. But then we started going, wait a minute, why do I want to work for the man? I don't want to work for the man. And then grunge music came along and it was a big f you to everything.
Speaker 1: It was just do you remember, like compared to not everyone's building I use all these like that like Local Lost and Company Poppy. They just built up and I believe sold for a bazillion dollars to Koda. Yeah, yeah, it's a soda that has a probiotic in it, you know, And they built it up and they saw it. That's everyone's goal now when they build a business, to build it up and sell it to the big guy. Yeah, we called you a sellout if you did that, right right, We were.
Speaker 5: Like, what you're gonna sell out to the man?
Speaker 2: Done all this work and build it up, and now you're gonna get rid of it? Well full point now is the money?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: Remember how mad we got when when certain songs got used by Pepsi or somebody.
Speaker 5: Two songs and Pepsi what sell out?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Oh it was Apple, That's what it was with you two. It was like that's when they saw.
Speaker 4: My daughter was so mad about that that it automatically put it on her device.
Speaker 5: Oh people are still mad?
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, definitely right anyway, gen X, in our opinion, they got it right.
Speaker 5: Thanks for listening to the podcast edition of the show.
Speaker 1: Check us out every morning on the radio as well six until ten on Austin's eighty station one oh three point one and streaming on the iHeartRadio app.