Speaker 1: Check Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly podcast. Catch the show Monday through Fudday, ten am to noon on Check.
Speaker 3: I think you're gonna want to hear this.
Speaker 2: Your local sports coverage lives here.
Speaker 4: Two nothing, It's Alva not so fast coho breath with Don Taylor. I say that the winner of the draft lottery should be the winner of a two man.
Speaker 5: Loosh and Rick Dolly Wall I had a cherry tree, Little Ricky. I used to go up that tree and just sit there for hours and bunch on those Jerry years.
Speaker 2: Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 4: Ten o'clock, get downtown Vancouver. We're in the Paul Carson studio. Thanks for tuning in, folks. It's Donnie and Dolly the team on Check. Don Taylor along with Rick Dollingwall. Ryan Henderson is our producer. He's the man at the controls, our director. The voice of God is Derek Wong.
Speaker 5: How are you lovely? Couldn't be better?
Speaker 4: You know, sometimes when we do the show the night before and I know there was a Stanley Cup playoff game last night, but you wonder, what are we going to talk about? Because let's be honest, that game last night. It was dull and that's I'm the first one to back the National Hockey League in the Stanley Cup playoffs, but Carolina sucked the life out of that building and the Montreal Canadians for nothing. Final they're up three games to one. Just a record setting amount of shots for the Montreal Canadians in a negative way. We hope to talk to about that more a little bit later, but let's focus on the Vancouver Canucks and just an update on Many Maholtra and the Canucks pursuit of him as their next head coach. What's the latest in terms of contract negotiations.
Speaker 5: He's not out. They haven't said he's out. The negotiations. What do they start Monday? Look don money in term or what are the two biggest hurdles? You've done a ton of negotiations. We have, both of us have. And what's always the problem? Money in term?
Speaker 4: My problem is that I'm not that good.
Speaker 5: Well, that's why you had an agent. You know, we had agents who did that. Thanks to paying Rutherford, Elvin and Foot next year not to work. The Canucks didn't pay much for the GM job. And it's hard to believe they're going to give much money to a rookie.
Speaker 4: GM rookie head coach, rookie's.
Speaker 5: Sorry, head coach. Manny doesn't have to rush into this. He's got one year left in Abbey. He can go back to Abby if he wants and become a UFA in twelve months. Does he want to be the lowest paid coach in the NHL. I don't think so, but he should take a look Manny and Donnie. I'm going to bring this up on to Travis Green. When he got the Canucks, drop didn't get a lot of money. When he left town, he was making three point five million. When Travis went back to Ottawa, he didn't get a ton of money. But what's his next deal going to look like? That's the way you got a if you're a rookie coach, the opportunity to coach in the NHL, do well and hit it, nail it on.
Speaker 4: That confidence in yourself and even though it's a low number, he can lead to bigger and better things.
Speaker 5: Travis Green is evidence that.
Speaker 4: You know you think Manny's making a mistake.
Speaker 5: No, I don't. I didn't say that. I think Manny's doing what's best for Mannie and he should and He should also be concerned that this hockey club fired a coach last a couple of weeks ago who was one year into a three year deal. This hockey club is on there the cup.
Speaker 4: The club can't operate like that. That's just done.
Speaker 5: You can't. If you're Manny Malhulter, you're asking these guys, why are you guys firing coaches every year? I would have questions, don I would have big time questions.
Speaker 4: So, well, where does that lead to? You?
Speaker 6: Have?
Speaker 4: You got other options?
Speaker 5: Look, either they cut a deal or they don't. You know what, I know how that works. But I mean, if I'm Manny, I'm doing that.
Speaker 4: But why is he Why would he get upset at that?
Speaker 5: Wouldn't you? Well, no, I would coach in five years.
Speaker 4: No, I wouldn't because the fact that you've let go of all those coaches is open up up a door for him. But I wouldn't be upset. I'd be like, great, I'll take that job. I mean, you know again, term money, it has to be worked out. But they're firing coaches left and right. It seems they're if you know, well they do they have new people in charge. It seems they have a new direction, maybe a little bit more patience. I'm okay like that. Look to me that the worry has to be for the Canucks and their fans, because I think they can sell many mahultra. I think that the customers want that. The fan base wants many mahultra. They want that decision. The worry would be Lisa looking for a coach. The Kings are law for a coach. Are they going to lose many malultra.
Speaker 5: Well, they got to give permission first.
Speaker 4: Look.
Speaker 5: The bottom line is they've been talking negotiating for a while. There's no deal. So you got to ask yourself why. Usually the reasons are money in term of course, they got to.
Speaker 4: Figure it out.
Speaker 5: They can always the case with the exhaustation and he's got an agent, and all these guys got agents now, and they you know, some of them are tough negotiators.
Speaker 4: Okay, we want to hawk and a little bit of a left turn here. We want to talk about CFL football and a new television agreement. We'll do that in a second, but I also want to mention that Canada has defeated the States at the World Hockey Championships in Switzerland. Final score for nothing City Crosby finally finally got a goal, nine assist going, and I believe it was an empty edter. Bottom line, he scores, He's been outstanding on a line with Maclin Celebrini, so four nothing final. I saw the big story out of that game. The big story is what happened in the first period. Did you see this? Evan Bouchard left the game. We got the video there we go. Left the game early, taking a hit to the head from Ryan Lindgren of The States place for the Seattle Kraken and Lindgren as you would expect, what's he thinking here? Right under the chin five minute major and was ejected. Evan Bouchard was out cold. This was really frightening to watch, not only the hit but the apter math. It was clear he was in He was in some sort of distress, at a lot of distress on the ice. We understand that, you know, he's okay now, but this is awful. In a couple of this is where I go with this. Obviously, it's awful. You worry about Evan Bouchard and his health. First of all, you know, you see hits to the head and you say to yourself, how can this happen again. But it happens again and again and again. And I know things happened in a split second, but five minute major ejection. What's he thinking. The other thing that I go to is when you see something like this, this is a star defenseman for the Evans and Oilers, and I go here and it's not right. But I am a hockey fan. I just wonder about NHL participation in events like this. And you know, I know they're they're committed to the Olympics, in the World Cup and the World Championships and all that, but is it worth it to send your star players when you see when you see something like that, That's where I go and look at look at Kevin Fial at the Olympics as well, in case.
Speaker 5: You don't think they could have used him. Of course they could have. Yeah, they had troubles scoring goals big time.
Speaker 4: So for nothink Canada. Canada goes onto the semi.
Speaker 5: Finals, absolutely okay.
Speaker 4: And then also the checks want today and the Philipronics critical.
Speaker 5: Philip Roonic, who everybody in Vancouver wants traded, who is still on the radar to be named the new captain of the Canucks. Look at this bullet. Come on, he's on the list on whether you like it or not?
Speaker 4: How long is that list?
Speaker 5: Well it's not lost.
Speaker 4: They lost by the way for one.
Speaker 5: Anyways, Watch what a bullet? What a bullet by Heronic? Make him captain?
Speaker 4: Well okay, so good with the media.
Speaker 5: Did Rutherford not say he's on a short list to be named captain? Look at that bully shot right now? An advisory's still with the team. But what a bullet by Ironic there.
Speaker 4: Future captain of the whether you like it or not. Okay, you think he's going to be God if he's that's your representative that he's bitchy like he can't have that. I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: He's a good pro on and off the ice. He brings all. He plays a ton of hockey. He's always on the ice. Yeah, and you think he's a bad captain because he's a bad interview.
Speaker 4: He's not stop it, stop it. Part of the job is dealing with the media. I know that people don't hear that. In the Canucks front office.
Speaker 5: I care less. I need him in the dress care less, remember the media. I need him to be a good dressing room guy who guides the young kids along and and and do you ever hear anything bad about heronic I do? What's that other than the bad interview with Jeff Patterson? One interview and you're all over the guy.
Speaker 4: You don't back your brethren. Unbelievable kind of a teammater. You wouldn't be a captain. Okay, CFL, let's get this is big, big news, and it goes beyond what happens on the on the playing surface. Stuart Johnson, Commissioner of the Canadian Football League, Man, this guy does not mess around. The rule changes, the playoff format changes, and now this the CFLs announced a series of new groundbreaking media agreements with Bell Media. You love those guys, Rick Do Zone or as you call it, Dozen and YouTube TSN is. This starts in twenty twenty seven. TSN gets sixty games, six playoff games, and the Great Cup. The Zone will air Saturday night games starting at four o'clock Pacific, and also a Saturday night playoff game in each of the first two rounds. Remember things change in twenty twenty seven. And then on top of that, you've got YouTube which will come up with live preseason games, enhanced coverage, the documentary. There's all sorts of tentacles to this agreement. So money six years, five hundred million dollars for the Canadian Football League. That's nine million dollars per team per year if our calculations are correct, and there's some question about that. So they go from fifty million a year to eighty four million. That's arounded. I've got sixty percent increase something like that again my math, sixty percent increase from the last deal with TSN. But five hundred million over six years for the Canadian Football League. Look, and Stuart's going to join us. Stuart Johnson, Can I try the CFL at eleven fifteen. You can criticize him, you can. You can criticize the decisions that he's made, the playoff format, the rule changes. Maybe you could even criticize this deal. Although five hundred million, half a billion over six years sounds pretty good to me. But he's not sitting on his hands. No, he's just waiting for the season to start. He's getting deals done well.
Speaker 5: And one of the he came from TSN, so one of the big reasons for hiring him his commissioner Don was that he knows television. He knows television, he knows how to cut big deals.
Speaker 4: See. And you know what I like about this is that I just assumed that. And we'll get into the streaming aspect of it in a second. I just assumed, because he came from TSN, he sert an executive at TSN for for a long time, I just assumed the new deal would just be all TSN. But they're branching out the CFLs is branching out with streaming with YouTube and also sticking with TSCN to some extent.
Speaker 5: And you can say what you want about the CFL, but they deliver big numbers for TSN and the summer done in the summertime, especially when hockey's not there, it's a big component for TSN to get through the summer. And this is massive money for the CFL done. And what's going to happen is the salary cap is going to go up because the players are going to say, hey, look at the money coming in. And so now you can go out and get more American pleasant problem, a pleasant problem. You can pay players more. The league's going to get better because you're paying more. Go down to the South, get some guys that used to play in the NFL, get them up here. Pay a little bit more. It's all good.
Speaker 4: I think the most interesting aspect of this, though, is the situation with the zone, because I know how much trouble you have with streaming.
Speaker 5: I hate this well.
Speaker 4: The Zone. It's a big player in the world of sports media right now. Champions League NFL, there's an NHL component, boxing, PGA, pretty much pretty much everything. This will allow the CFL to air its product if streaming you know where. Streaming is available to over two hundred countries outside the US and Canada. It's it's it seems to be the wave of the future. Hate it and the present.
Speaker 5: Hate it now. Listen to me, horrible idea to put twenty one cer. No one supports the CFL more than you and I. In this market, I will not be paying I okay, listen to me. We live in a very expensive city. I'm really worried. The Canucks have gone there. Now, lines have gone there, now, the white Caps have gone there. Where is this heading in two, four, six, eight, ten years done? Are we going to be paying four hundred bucks a month to watch our local teams? I don't know if the White CAP's going to be here, but this is ridiculous. A family of four. Right now, the dollar is stretching. You know what, whether your kids are in sports, are in there in university, every penny counts now because we live in a very expensive city, the dollar is stretching and stretching and stretching. Look, I already paid for TSN and Sports Net. I'm not paying anymore. I'm not paying anymore. These guys can go on and shot. There's twenty one games up you know where. I'm not going to pay for this.
Speaker 4: And I'm so you don't watch the You don't watch the Canucks game on Amazon?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 5: I no, I get the Amazon game. I'll tell I'm not telling you how I get the Amazon game. But not just done. Listen, I'm not paying. And nobody supports the CFL more than you and I. We went to Empire Stadium, watch the Eskimo's Warm Moon.
Speaker 4: You can well, there's there's an amount of there's a mount of an amount of risk to that, to this. I get this, But are they supposed to turn down this money?
Speaker 5: They're not supposed to turn But don't expect me to pay. I'm not going to pay. It's not a penny comes out of my bocket for these guys.
Speaker 4: Is it because you don't want to pay or because you can't figure out how to access streaming.
Speaker 5: No, just they're a little both. First of all, don why the hell am I paying for TSN and sports Net?
Speaker 4: And then more on.
Speaker 5: Top of that, why like why like I I mean, family budgets are going through the roof and cable internet all this well, you know, people are cutting out the what's the ground line?
Speaker 4: The phone?
Speaker 5: Everyone's just got sells now. But Donnie, it's it's just if you keep adding twenty twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: Times, what bothers me a boat streaming?
Speaker 5: I'm not doing it.
Speaker 4: And Ryan, you can chime in here. I know we're we're shirt on time here, but you can chime in here for a second. You you, if you subscribe to the zone, what will you be paying per month if you're interested in the CFL games come twenty twenty seven, and we don't know what the price will be, you know, come a year or two from now.
Speaker 7: That's that's the thing. Today's today's cost is twenty five bucks a month.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so there's those in the extra charge per game twenty five bucks a month.
Speaker 7: Twenty five bucks a month, and there's pros and cons and one of the pros is in Canada.
Speaker 8: The Zone is the hub for the NFL, NFL, if.
Speaker 7: You're an if you're if you don't have cable, and especially for people that the favorite team is in the Seahawks. Like my brother's a massive Indianapolis Colts fan. The only way he can watch Colts games for the most part is through the Zone. So if you have the Zone now, you're also gonna get the CFL. And that's a that's a nice promotional vehicle for the CFL.
Speaker 4: No doubts, league, boxing, golf, some NHL content as well. If they were going just about the CFL, if they were.
Speaker 7: Going to some unknown or if they were launching their own streamer or something, I'd be even more correct.
Speaker 4: I just get upset with that mL I know it's changed, but that Apple deal with with MLS where and this still bothers me with streaming, how it's changed. It was supposed to be let's say, ten dollars a month and that was it. But now it's like all of a sudden, I'm watching a movie or I'm watching a sporting and there's ads I wasn't supposed to be the case, or I'm paying extra for that movie or for for that. Sports supposed to be like that. No, it's changed. It's supposed to be better than cable and like financially speaking, and it's not. I'm sorry, it's not. Especially if you add it all up, you get get Apple, if you get the Zone, if you've got cable on top of that, which most sport sports fans do.
Speaker 5: There you go, why should I? So that's one hundred and eight box we got to break? But that is ridiculous. So the white Caps want you to pay extra to watch extra. The Canucks want you to pay extra, Like where the hell are we heading?
Speaker 4: Where? Where are we going here? Like in you got to ask Patrick? You get upset Stuart Johnson. I'm getting mixed up with Patrick. Patrick Johnson had a very good article in the Province today.
Speaker 5: Or talk about your buddy Heronic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, shipping him to the San Jose future captain of the Sharks. Okay, here's what's coming up on the showcase. The hand signals, I get it, we got to break DTMZ is it just me? Coming up in the eleven o'clock hour, John Shannon mister Television, he'll talk about the CFL deal and about the Stanley Cup playoffs. Of course, Big Ryan the Twitter guy coming up later this hour and up next from the Athletic and he's got a forward who are centered and not not who you think not named Gavin McKenna who he prefers over caleab Maholtre Wow. Okay, so I heard him on six fifty today Thomas Drants from the Athletic. Next Donny Dello the team on.
Speaker 2: Check Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 6: The team is supported by Abelauctions dotz A Closing your Business we can help.
Speaker 4: Able Auction specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner.
Speaker 5: Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 4: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold, Please email sales at able Auctions dot ca. A that's sales at a b l E Auctions dot ca. It's Thursday and all today's guests, including Thomas Drant, standing by and brought to you by the Vancouver Canadian celebrating anniversary seventy five Seas in the middle of a homestand against Eugene. Tomorrow's Saturday and Sunday first pitch one oh five, first five hundred kids twelve and under. On Sunday they get a seized jersey.
Speaker 5: Can you pull off?
Speaker 4: For tickets and info visit mii LB dot com Slash Vancouver just before we bring and Thomas Drantz from the Athletics some just awful news man. The sports world around these parts around Canada has been hit hard lately. This is so strange. Yeah, this is from the NHL Alumni Association, devastated to share that Claude Lemieux has passed away at the age of sixty. Born in Buckingham, Quebec, Claude was selected by the Montreal Canadians round two of the eighty three NHL at Your Draft. He went on to win a const My Trophy and three Stanley Cups with the three different teams, the Haves, the Devils and the Avalanche. Ricky brought in the torch just the other day at the Bell Center and he looked great. Sixty years old. My Lord God bless him. Claude Lemieux leaving us a tough transition and transition. We're going to make it. Thomas Drantz joins us from the Athletic Thomas, are you sir?
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's terrible news. I mean, man, you had to love the way Lemiue competed as a player. You know, some of my earliest memories were just absolutely yelling at my television, mad at the guy, because you know, the ninety six as that just steamrolled the Canucks in the playoffs, and Lemiu had been a big.
Speaker 3: Part of it.
Speaker 9: I loved his game, like, I just loved watching him play as a competitor, obviously at a long career post hockey too, and it was cool to see him in the jersey.
Speaker 4: Like just this week, Yeah, looking great talking yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 9: Rest in peace, man, like rest in peace to an absolute legend, like honestly one of the purest competitors winners played, played the game exactly the way. You know, you hate him when your team's playing against him, you love him when he's on your team, Like just the the absolute picture of what I like when I watch hockey, and he sort of epitomized I agree.
Speaker 4: And you're being on there, Thomas. You you hated him, but you wanted him on your team. Yeah, Brad Musham would be in that category as well. Sixty years old puppy and he leaves us. Okay, another tough transition. I heard you on six fifty Radio today, excellent hit as always. You were going on about Sweden's Vigo Bjorke, and it sounded to me like if he was there at number three, tell me if I'm wrong, Vigo Buorke. It's from another show. I believe that that phrase, But tell me if I'm wrong, Vigo Bjork is there. Caleb Maholtro is there. It sounded like you would take Vigo Bjork.
Speaker 9: I think there's an argument to take Vigo Bjorke ahead of iver Stenberg. Now, look, I want to contextualize this, gentleman. I've been I've been crunching the numbers, and I've been watching the tape, and I've been putting together a series which your viewers can go check out. At the Athletic started making the case for everybody, making the case for iber Stenberg.
Speaker 3: It's a very impressive case.
Speaker 9: Making the case for Kayla Malhotra also a wildly impressive case, by the way, a really good prospect. Making the case for the defenseman at the top of the class. I really like Carls out of Prince George, western Canadian kid. He really stood out to me when I was watching the video of him just mashing guys and looking at the data and talking to scouts around the business. Tomorrow I'm going around the B York piece, and I'd liked Byork's game from early on in this process, but this was the first time, over the course of the last ten days that I'd really sat down and done the deep dive, and the takeaway that I have from Byork is like I'd sort of liked him as a guy who I thought would be undervalued in this class. I think it's more than that. I think this guy's got a legit prodigy level profile. I mean, we're talking about a guy who, you know, at sixteen in the j twenty, which is sort of the Swedish version of the CHL, was leading.
Speaker 3: Scorer ever ever.
Speaker 9: He's the most productive sixteen year old ever in that league, and second place is twenty four points behind him. Twenty four points behind him, even if you go on a point per game basis, Even if you go on a point per game basis, he's number one ever, and it's by a huge margin, only him, William Nilander, and this six foot two center Milan Sunstrom, who will talk about more twelve months from now, gentlemen, especially given that he's from warren Skoldsvik, the hometown of Hendrik and Daniel Sedin. They're the only three guys who've ever been over a point and a half per game in that league at sixteen, and he's number one by a mile over those other two guys. He played pro hockey in Sweden at the age of sixteen. He played one game, which also is wildly impressive, especially given that you know he's under five point ten and he scored a goal. He scored a goal in his one game against professionals men at the age of sixteen. This season, at seventeen, he plays in the SHL, which is the top Swedish profession league. It's very rare, like the list of centers that play Sahl hockey at the age of seventeen is is short, you know, like in the early nineties we're talking Peter Forsberg, we're talking Nicolas Sunstrom. Late nineties we're talking Hendrik Sadeen. Last fifteen years we're talking Mika's Banajad. We're talking Leo Carlson, Marco Casper, like we're talking, you know, the best of the best, yoel Eric Sinek. Right, it's only like ten guys on the list that even do it, that even do it, and this guy outproduced all of them except for the guys from the early ninties. Like this guy had you know, eighteen points in forty eight games. His role expanded as the year went along. He ended up playing twenty minutes a night and being point per game in the playoffs. He's the most productive seventeen year old SAHL centerman this century, this century, and by a lot, by a lot, Like he's much better at the SAHL level as a seventeen year old than Edrick Sidein was. This is again prodigy level stuff. This is crazy and the way gentlemen after that. After that, so he gets called up. They plays the whole season in the SHL. Then they send him back to the j twenty, back to his sort of junior level team after they're eliminated in the playoffs. And the junior level team without him was like mid They were fourth in the league. They ground out a first round series win. It's the best of three. So in five games against Moto they don't lose again, three straight sweeps. He has twenty points and nine games against his peers, twenty points and nine games and they only allow twelve goals against. They win all nine games against the three best teams in j twenty, he's just air dropped back to his peer group and single handedly wins a championship. Now he's playing at the Worlds and he's playing eighteen minutes against NHL players.
Speaker 3: He's winning face offs against.
Speaker 9: Ryan O'Reilly, he's coming out of board battles against Mark Schifley with the pawk.
Speaker 3: He's almost point per game. He's got six points in seven games.
Speaker 9: He's playing fifteen to sixteen minutes a night for the senior men's national team in Sweden. And so before this you could say credibly like, well, you know, he's five nine and a half and he's not an elite skater. How's it gonna work against Stanchel players. It's like, well, I'll tell you how it's gonna work against Stanchill players. This guy always has the puck. He always find ways to produce. He's a right handed centerman who's already capable of winning draws. Like what box doesn't this guy check. You want a competitor, he's got it. You want a defensive difference maker, complete game, he's got it. You want a faceoff winner, he's got it. You want a right handed centerman, he's got it. You want a scoring profile that jumps off the page, He's got it. And by the way, seven months younger than Stenberg is. Like, I've talked at length about Stenberg's historic SHL season well when he was seventeen, like when he was the age b York was this past season, Byorke was way more productive at the same level in the same league. So for to take Stenberg, like, I'd probably rate Stenberg higher personally, but I think there's a conversation to be had. I think we're sleeping on this guy. This profile, to me, is very much in the mix for the best non McKenna profile in this draft class, and I kind of hadn't realized it until I really dove into it all. I just came away being like, you know, because again I'm making the case for these guys, what's the case to take this guy at third?
Speaker 3: Overall? What's the case?
Speaker 9: I made the case for every guy, and this was the one that I found the most compelling, maybe even more so than I verse Tenver.
Speaker 5: There is a case to be made for Manny Maholtro to be the next head coach of the Canucks. They started negotiating early this week. It's Thursday, still no deal. What's going on there?
Speaker 9: Well, negotiation, right, was what was in the air earlier this week. Rick, as you touched on on this program. I'm not surprised, not surprised by that at all. We've talked about this at length. Right, Malhotra is not just a top candidate here, He's a top candidate period. You talked about profiles, Right, Every team in the NHL wants top American league head coach. Guy who's won a championship at that level. Guy with significant experience in the NHL both as a player and and on a coaching staff, which he has across seven years on Travis Green's staff in Vancouver and then.
Speaker 3: Sheldon Keeps in Toronto.
Speaker 9: You want a good communicator, a guy who has close relationships with players. How about a guy who can develop young players and isn't afraid to play them. This is what every team in the NHL wants. This is what Manny Mahotra offers. I'm not surprised that it's taking a little bit of time. I would have hoped that it would get done this week, but you've still got Monday before most of Canucks brass heads to Buffalo for the NHL Draft combine, I suppose I don't think the twins are going, So I guess.
Speaker 3: Have I frozen there?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 3: Yeah, anymore, froze there.
Speaker 9: I froze there, looking like a Karen or something, right like, looking like I was about to ask you for the manager.
Speaker 3: Anyway, anyway, so you still have time to get this done.
Speaker 9: But yeah, I think the longer this drags out, the more questions will have about, you know, like is this a financial issue, because because I don't think we think it's an evaluation issue, right, we think that we think the commands of very high on Malatrap.
Speaker 3: They should be. He's clearly the right fit for the job. We'll see when they get it done.
Speaker 4: Froze froze there like a Karen beauty Wow.
Speaker 5: Wow wow and wow. Uh one other question. Uh, we're we're all being uh, we're all concentrating on Manny the draft. What about July first? They got some money to play with, you know, like you know, like you know, Ryan's out there talking agents and yeah, you know he's talking agents right now and looking for you know, side speed and skill, but good teammates, looking let's go quiet. I'm going to be interested to see what they spend on July first, how much they spend, because I think it's going to be significant.
Speaker 3: Really, I hope it is. I think it should be.
Speaker 9: The So, okay, there's there's a lot to pack here, and I'll try to do it as straight manus straightforward a fashions.
Speaker 4: Just don't freeze like Karen. Don't freeze like Karen.
Speaker 3: I will try not to freeze. It's like a Karen. Okay.
Speaker 9: So the cap is going up, right, And so in the past ten years, every dollar you spent in free agency was a dollar that you couldn't use to like get a player for free on the trade market, right, I mean the Oliver b York Strand for two mid round picks type trade. Right, eighty percent of the league was available for free and all you.
Speaker 3: Had to have was cap space.
Speaker 9: So when you spent cap space on July one, it was a problem, right, It was inefficient, it was suboptimal for teams. Now the CAP's going to go up and there's no one in free agency right, which means that talent is going to concentrate and there's going to be more cap space. Teams are going to have more cap space than good ways to use it on players worth the cap space.
Speaker 3: Okay, and so for a team like the.
Speaker 9: Vancouver Canucks, who are the thirty seven team in the league, the least talented team in the league, this is a problem because you do not want teams to be able to keep their players. You want cap pressure to cause teams to have to make hard decisions with their players, like the Tampa Bay Lightning did when the Vancouver Canucks traded for JT.
Speaker 3: Miller, for example.
Speaker 9: Without that, talent won't flow around the league, and that is bad for you, the thirty second place team. I think the Vancouver Canucks should wade into free agency and throw around silly amounts of money. I think they should be trying to send a message to every Nick Schmaltz and Poler in Anaheim, and who is the gentleman who just signed in Columbus, Charlie Coyle, send a message like, oh, maybe I shouldn't take this team friendly deal before I hear what the crazies in Vancouver might offer me like I literally think they need to send a lightning bolt around the league. And the way that I'd love to see it done is you go to high character guys, size, speed, skill and marketable, marketable on a in trades. My list would be like Colton Sistans, right handed center in Vegas, Michael McCarron, right handed center in Minnesota. How about Beck Mallenstein, local kid, good guy, super fast, skater.
Speaker 3: Physical, hits hard, everything you'd want.
Speaker 9: And I'd look at the right handed defenders, your radishes, your truba's, all those guys, and I would love to see the Canucks make huge money offers.
Speaker 3: I'm talking like six million a year for Michael McCarran, but for two years, two years, other teams are going to be offering him what two and a half times five? Okay, that's ten million total.
Speaker 9: I'm offering you twelve over two right, six million times two only an eight team no trade, right, like a limited no trade, very small so that I can borrow him for eighteen months. Get a character, physical, face off, winning guy, Insulate young players, teach everyone how to be a pro, do the media thing, Embrace being in Vancouver and then in eighteen months will retain half of the deal and trade three million dollar Michael mccairn after we've juiced his production for eighteen months. Right, you create assets, you help the environment, and you create this crazy financial incentive where other teams are going to have pressure to keep up, which is going to be a critical route for Vancouver to sort of win the next five to seven years in the NHL. Like this is a high revenue team in an intense Canadian market. As the cap goes up, what your hope is is that some of those teams where you can get into the Lower Bowl for thirty five bucks to watch a Stanley Cup contender are going to struggle to keep up and pay salaries in one hundred and fifty million dollar upper limit world. Create the incentive, create the environment where teams are going to be willing to give you really good players because they can't afford them, especially if you're spending a lot of time drafting young players who are more cost controlled.
Speaker 3: Right like that, that's the way that five.
Speaker 9: Years from now, I think the Canucks can begin to position themselves to come out of this rebuild with rocket boots. Its on, right and become one of the like catapult up the league standing. So that's what I want to see the Canucks do. I want to see them laid into free agency and spend even though there's not great players around. And I want to see them be very scrupulous about limiting term and keeping the ability of the flexibility in place to.
Speaker 3: Auction those guys off. That's my plan.
Speaker 9: I know it's a week July one, gentlemen, I would say this is the most important July one in the history of the Vancouver Connucks.
Speaker 4: Right. I almost froze like a Karen when you said the Knucks should span on July one, because we all know there's not a great history there. But it makes sense with the two year terms. By the way, before they let you go, you can use this Rick. Did you know this Milan Sunstrim, who Thomas just talked about, grandson of Patrick Sunstrom. Put that in your pipe and smoking.
Speaker 5: Patrick Sunstrom, number seventeen. Great in the eighties for the Canucks.
Speaker 4: Great. Great.
Speaker 5: You wouldn't know that you're twenty years old anyways, Patrick.
Speaker 3: Sir Patrick Sunstrom, he was traded to New Jersey.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Greg Adams and Kirk McClain, I know you're telling me about Patrick Sunstrom. I grew up watching the guy was great, one of the best Swedes in Cannuck's history.
Speaker 4: All right, use that Thomas, and we'll talk to you next week. Gentlemen, you met Thomas Drants from the Athletic. That was a big deal, that that deal Patrick Sunstrom, Milan Suntrium. I guess he's an eligible drafts next year. Said, but remember that deal was one of Pat Quinn's first best traits. Greg Adams two Warriors for pastrom had an eight point game. Yeah, with with the Devils, but it was a great deal for Vancouver. Okay, our thanks to Thomas Strants to break and then we'll deal with the poll question next. Doney Delay the team ont Jack Looking for the ultimate Vancouver Island getaway. Head to beautiful Parksville and experience the Bayside ocean front resort, where every stay feels like a vacation you'll never forget. From sunrise walks on the beach to sunsets on the patio. Bayside puts you steps from the sand with ocean views in every direction, Splashing the indoor and outdoor pools, hit the fitness center, then relax with a hand crafted cocky at the ocean Front Restaurant and Lounge. Whether it's date night, a family trip, or a corporate event, Bayside is your perfect year round escape book Your getaway now at two five zero, two four eight eight triple three. Your island adventure starts here. Wattling Dog pole question. It has to do. What led us to this pole question was the CFL announcing a series of new groundbreaking media agreements with Bell Media, streaming service, design and YouTube starts in twenty twenty seven, six years, five hundred million dollars for the Canadian Football League, nine million dollars a year per team experience. One of Victoria's iconic destinations. We're talking about the Wattling Dog. Our Waddling Dog sleep zip stock up all on one legendary spot. Come sit and stay at the Dog today.
Speaker 5: Rick Ryan got her up. The Watling Dog pop pole question. How do you watch the majority of your sports? Look at this cable is leading the way at sixty two percent, but streamings is up there thirty eight percent. And there you go, and the BC lines a new deal. Donny, twenty one games for the CFL are going to be on a dazen or whatever that it's just streeting the zone. I don't know, well it spelled the Dazen. I don't know why how do you get to zone out of Dazen? But anyways, Donnie, it's got to stop. It's got to stop. It's not going to say, here's the thing. Do you see the white Caps ever release their their numbers on TV?
Speaker 4: No? Do you know why?
Speaker 5: Because they're crap. They're crap, Donnie, their crap. That's why they don't release their numbers on Apple. Nobody is watching the white Caps on Apple. Take it to the bank. Nobody will watch the CFL on the zone.
Speaker 4: But listen. But so you turn down that money.
Speaker 5: I never said that I have an option to watch on TSN, which I will do the majority the game's ninety.
Speaker 4: We don't have an option though on Saturday.
Speaker 5: Nights, and I will if it's the lines aren't playing, I don't care. But if the lines are playing, I'll try and figure out how to get the game.
Speaker 4: But setup just stop, dog, I will know.
Speaker 5: I will try and figure out how to watch the Lions if they're on this at zone, but I'll let me. I'll figure I might have to go to a buddy's house, a buddy's friend's house.
Speaker 4: The how cheap what you're talking about, I'm not it's not about it. You're not about Your job is to stay up to date in the world of sports. You can't. And it's not just about the CFL or NFL games on the zone. It's the way of the future with it.
Speaker 5: The way the future is me sitting on my couch and not paying extra for all these stupid sports. I shouldn't have to pay extra.
Speaker 4: I'm paying. It is frustrating because I will I will say this. It is frustrating because we pay so much for cable, thank you, and then you gotta pay cable Slash Internet, and then you got.
Speaker 5: To pay for Netflix, and then you gotta pay for this. You don't have to pay for that. Okay, okay, fine, I'm just saying I don't need my TV cable bill to be two three four hundred bucks a month. So what would ridiculous.
Speaker 4: We're going to have Stuart Johnson on the show when your your advice, I'm gonna tell him. Your advice to him would be don't take the deal. I never said that.
Speaker 5: My advice to him is make sure it's a low low number that you got to pay to pay to play or pay to watch.
Speaker 4: If it look.
Speaker 5: Twenty one games? Actually, what would.
Speaker 4: Your reaction be if you found out there was a five hundred million dollar deal on the table for the CFL, which you know, a year after year needs help financially and they said no because people like Rick Dollywall don't want to. I think it's because you can't figure how to operate.
Speaker 5: Okay, So now we're at the Lions, Canucks make you pay what on Amazon? Amazon? White Caps make you pay on Apple? So the white Caps, Lions and the Canucks are going to make you pay a watch ridiculous? This is this is one hundred and.
Speaker 4: Eight dollars a month if you got all of them, if you got the Zone, sports Net plus TSN, Apple TV and Amazon Product Watch has NHL.
Speaker 5: I'm paying for SPORTSN, TSN. I don't want to pay and I will not pay for the other three. I'm not going to pay for it. I know I'm not going to pay for it. And if I do have to go, I'll go to a buddy's house or we go.
Speaker 4: Okay, this early is it just me? Or if is it just me? This is an onside or if it can afford an electric merced then he can afford to pay for streaming services that provide sports content and Rick can shop around instead of going to save On.
Speaker 5: For overpriced I only go to save On for one reason. It's two and a half minutes away. Otherwise I wouldn't go to save On. I only go to save On because it's two and a half minutes away. It's an easy in and out Donnie Safeways about twenty thirty No, not twenty thirty five, ten minutes away convenience.
Speaker 4: It is for Look, I'm in the business. I have to watch like if I'm not at the games.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's right, that's right. But I'm not. You're not gonna get me.
Speaker 4: It'll be interesting to see what the what the numbers are. CFL television numbers are very good. I mean that's wise. They wouldn't demand this kind of money or command this kind of money.
Speaker 5: And it's not being about cheapness.
Speaker 4: It's not about cheapness. About cheap No, it's not cheapness. And you can't figure out the technology. I mean, if I get figure it out, anybody can. Where are we Ryan?
Speaker 8: It's interesting you're talking about the cheapness.
Speaker 4: Yeah exactly. Oh I'm cheap.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but you're you're you're not in this scenario because you actually have bucked up for these other things. Oh yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 4: It's my job. Your job is to I don't know what like come on. Well he also he said you're gonna watch it, So I I got if I have to, I'll go to a buddy's house or I'll go to well the bars. Why should you the bars will have it? Why bars? Why should your buddy pay?
Speaker 5: Will? The bars have to be honest.
Speaker 8: That's one of the big things that these plays.
Speaker 4: The bars have his own No, not all.
Speaker 7: No, that's one of the things a lot of these places are running into because now you're you're seeing this uptick in streaming. A bar doesn't necessarily have an Apple TV that's hooked up to all their TVs they can just throw on.
Speaker 5: Or maybe they don't have any smart TV.
Speaker 4: They don't have an Internet.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but you have to, okay, that smart TV has to mirror in the entire establishment. It's not one TV like you would have at home. And so some of these places are running into issues that you know, they the older one.
Speaker 4: I think by the time twenty seven rolls around, twenty twenty seven rolls around. They did.
Speaker 8: But okay, but that business has to be but that business has to added.
Speaker 5: If they're called streaming.
Speaker 4: Service, I'm gonna get people to help out establishments like that.
Speaker 7: You're gonna add that to their costs and then we're just gonna pay more for our burgers and beers.
Speaker 4: But you know what, like you know, to Rick's point, like it was supposed to. This is supposed to be better. Things are supposed to improve as time goes on. I'm not so sure this is the case. Having said that, what's the CFL gonna do. Here's five million dollars over.
Speaker 5: But they're not getting five hundred million for the twenty one games. Don No, I know it's part.
Speaker 4: It's a total total.
Speaker 5: Don't say that they're getting the OWNE is giving them five hundred million. They're not.
Speaker 4: They're obviously giving them significant something something.
Speaker 7: To put it this way, Bell Media, ain't we know that they're not they're not. They're not making up the majority.
Speaker 5: Of that the good old days when we just watched on CBC and BCTV and that was it. And you know what, now these guys one game a week on game a week and we're happy we get our CFL on CBC. Now these guys are they just want They just want money, the owners of the white Caps, Lions and Canucks. So you gotta pay extra, you know what.
Speaker 4: I want to go on on on, Save the white Caps, Save the Lions. And you won't even buck up for you know, you don't buck up for tickets. I know that. And you don't even you don't buck up to watch games.
Speaker 5: You go to the game.
Speaker 4: Next time you complain about you gotta go. You gotta go out and support the line.
Speaker 5: All those people out there that Donnie and I in the eighties, don't don't pay extra for the subscription, don't do it, don't do it.
Speaker 4: When Patrick Sanstrom was lighting it up for the.
Speaker 5: Connuncent on BC TV Game of the Week.
Speaker 4: Okay, I've got to read we're so far behind here, Ryan, you're not keeping us on time here. June third Able Auctions will sell the contents of a dollar store wholesaler. June fourth Able will sell a Colowna brewery and a North Vancouver brewery, including brewce systems, tanks, filtration and canning equipment. For information on these auctions and many more auctions. Go to able Auctions dot see it to get your business assets sold an auction and you're building emptied Email sales at able Auctions dot CA, sales at a b l E Auctions dot c A. Stuart Johnson and commission of the CFL. You got to hold his feet to the fire.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna tell him I'm not eleven.
Speaker 4: Fifteen or so, John Shan on top of the hour upnext, Big Ride, Donny Dolly, the team on check, three foot hot Dogs, postgame fireworks, Friday noonters and the future Toronto Blue Jays right in your backyard. Catch a Vancouver Canadians game this summer as they celebrate seventy five years at nat Bailey Stadium. For tickets, promotions and more information, visit Canadians Baseball dot com or call six oh four eight seven to two, five two, three to two. Today. We were actually just contacted by the CFL before the show started regarding this television deal and streaming deal news, and they wanted again. Stuart Johnson commissioned the CFL on our show again eleven fifteen, John Shannon in our next segment, but right now, Big Rye.
Speaker 7: Just quickly we were talking about the streamers and bars in the previous segment, and somebody pointed out and they made a good point. The zone is probably exempt from that because of the NFL. A lot of the bars might have to zone. Do they have all of them? Do they have Apple TV for the caps for instance?
Speaker 8: I'm not so sure.
Speaker 4: Ran Like I didn't say this in the previous segment, but for you to come across as an expert on bars when you've never had an alcoholic drinking your eye, that is something else.
Speaker 7: I'm not saying I'm an expert, but I read an article recently Awful Announcing or The Athletic, but they were talking about that problem, that being a massive problem for a lot of you.
Speaker 4: Ever gone to the streets, down to the dirt into a bar to check things out? Have you in the last thirty years?
Speaker 5: No bos on the ground?
Speaker 4: Ask anybody at the Mountain Shadow in Okay.
Speaker 7: So we're talking a lot about the CFL today. John Gruden, this is outstanding. Yesterday, Derek show the photo first. Yesterday they teased this. So the Lions sent John a package. He posted a video opening another package and in that video he had this BC Lions shirt on. So this morning, John dropped his video. He does this on a social media is Twitter camp. By the way, his Twitter cant is barstool Gruden, where he gets these packages from card collectors, teams, whatever, and he opens them up and then he talks about the swag and the.
Speaker 8: People that have so today seven and a half minute long video.
Speaker 7: I wish they could run the whole thing because it's fabulous. This is a snippet, though, of the video Gruden posted this morning of him opening up his PC Lions gear.
Speaker 10: But this team, the British Columbia Lions. Look at that head coach Buck Pierce. Buck Pierce played quarterback in the CFL a long time.
Speaker 3: I remember him at.
Speaker 11: New Mexico State. He played with BC, played with Winnipeg. He also calls the plays for the BC Lions.
Speaker 3: Look at this.
Speaker 11: You know who the quarterback of this team is, Nathan Rourke. I mean this guy with the hell of a player at Alio.
Speaker 10: You he threw for fifty two last year, ran for about six hundred.
Speaker 11: You like that right now?
Speaker 3: That's really cool.
Speaker 10: Six great cups, thirteen titles in the division.
Speaker 11: Man, check that out. That's called tradition.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 11: Leo the freaking Lion. That's their mascot. Look at this gear.
Speaker 4: You like this gear?
Speaker 11: You talk about Nathan Rourke. You know who else played quarterback here?
Speaker 3: Huh?
Speaker 11: Condredge Holloway my good friend for a year. I look back. Joe Capp, Joe Capp.
Speaker 10: Remember him in the longest yard, former head coach and Cal played for the Vikings.
Speaker 11: He led the league four years in a freaking row.
Speaker 4: And he goes on and on. It's very good and maybe.
Speaker 7: He looked up the Lions and memorized all this stuff before.
Speaker 8: I'm not sure. It's fantastic.
Speaker 4: Condridge Halloway was a big, big deal. Oh yeah, well and one year with the Lions, as he mentioned, and Jill Capp was a big oh yeah yeah. He would know those names for sure.
Speaker 7: And look at and gruden Is and I mean disrespect. He's a football nerd. It wouldn't surprise me if he knew all about Nathan Rourke and Buck Peers and all this. Nathan I Nathan had a really good college career, and of course the story with his brother as well, Curtis. But just fabulous again, if you have time today later today, seven and a half minutes is he's rifling through all this gear, but he's just going on on and on them with the Lions.
Speaker 5: Really great stuff.
Speaker 4: When you talk to NFL people about the CFL, one thing that amazes you is, well, one thing that gets driven home is how small the football world is. Yeah, they know so many people. Of course they do. You know, there's so many Americans who come up to play in the Canadian Football League. The connections are many. It really really hits them. They have I I've always said this, I think that people have more respect for the CFL, maybe even more than Canadian football fans are people involved in the NFL because they respect the great athletes up here and they know Joe Thaisman raves about the CFL and his time in Toronto. Doug Doug Flutey, are you kidding me? Getting choked up?
Speaker 5: It's banana, But listen, Doug Flutey. Does he do what he does if he doesn't come up to Canada first?
Speaker 4: No? No, well, actually it was in the NFL first. You have to come up to the CFL, back to the NIM.
Speaker 7: More recent I mean, I talk all the time about Cam wake tam Way, caamwake Man like he was a stud, an absolute stud in state.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Bobo Billivic found him at a camp outside of Maryland. He went to the wrong camp. Bob brought him back and Cam Wake you don't think he tells people. I love the CFL for sure.
Speaker 7: Up next, somebody to us that loves the CFL. John Shannon, he loves the CFL. And Stuart Johnson commissioned to the CFL.
Speaker 4: We know is mister television. He can talk about the CFL, streamlin about the national likely playoffs in the passing of Claude.
Speaker 8: Yeah, shocking stuff. We'll talk to Shannon next eleven fifteen. Stuart Johnson. It's Donnie Dolly the team on Check.
Speaker 4: Hey everyone, it's Donnie and Dolly and we're looking to partner with your company.
Speaker 5: We have several packages and price points to fit your budget and spread the word about your company on the show, in our podcast and on social media.
Speaker 4: We'd love to get involved with your company. Called two five oh eight, eight oh twenty two eighty two or email advertise at Checkmedia dot ca A Thursday and Oliver Guests Today brought to you by our friends out at nat Bailey the Vancouver Canadians celebrating anniversary seventy five. For tickets and info visit MiLB dot com slash Vancouver. Just before we get to John Shannon from the one hundred Percent Hockey podcast on Canucks. If you haven't heard man, what's shocking news today? Can roll the video here if you don't mind. Derek Claude Lemieux Montreal Canadians. Great. We just saw him what two three days ago at the Bell Center carrying out the torch for the Montreal Canadians ahead of Game three against the Carolina Hurricanes. Four times said three times, four times Stanley Cups champion wanted a couple of times with the Devils also cost my trophy winner back in ninety four to ninety five with the Devils. Sixty years old passes away unexpectedly. Again, we just saw him. Look, he looked great there, sixty years old carrying the torch and now he's now he's left us as we bring in John Shannon, John, thanks for doing this, sir. How are you And was your reaction to Claude Lemus passing.
Speaker 12: The same that you had, Donnie? I mean, he looked like the powerful Claude Lemieu that we saw so many years ago. Is you know it was nineteen eighty six when he came in and became a factor for Canadians and winning their Stanley Cup against the Calgary Flames, and then was a huge factor for Montreal and New Jersey and quite frankly wherever he played, because he was a winner, pure and simple. This guy knew how to win. He didn't necessarily become a fan favorite in lots of cities, but he had that drive to be the best and that's why he was so good. In his name is on the Stanley Cup four times.
Speaker 4: Yeah, these old school stat lines for him eighty one points in ninety two to ninety three, which I believe was a career high. One hundred and fifty five penalty minutes. You don't see that much much anymore.
Speaker 12: John, No, he and let's face it, he was.
Speaker 3: He was that.
Speaker 12: He was that disturber that a lot of teams wanted to have. He was like Ken Linzman in so many ways and could stir things up and create, you know, opportunities on the ice for his team to take advantage. He played to the edge most of the games. Sometimes he played over the edge, but he was certainly somebody that the teams he played for they valued what he brought beyond goals and.
Speaker 5: Assists ninety six, Colorado and Detroit, The Brawl. He was writing The Miser Chris Draper, the Shot, Andy Boy. He was right in the middle of it. CFL TV deal. What did you think of it? It's big box, it's good stuff all except for the streaming aspect of it. But anyways, all of a sudden, but I just said, other than the streaming aspect. Uh, your thoughts on the CFL deal.
Speaker 12: I think in this day and age, the numbers that they're talking about, you know, the five hundred million over six years, I think, in this day and age, it's amazing that the CFL was able to do this, whether it's conventional television, conventional cable TV like Bell and TSN and his own And by the way, Rick, do you, by the way, do you subscribe to the Athletic No?
Speaker 5: So, why why? Why?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 5: Why why would I join?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 12: Because you're I mean, you have grants on all the time. He's an athletic writer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I but I don't need it. I don't need it. I don't want it. I don't want to pay for it.
Speaker 4: I do this show you every day? You need it?
Speaker 12: No, I know this is the way our this is the way our business is going. This is the way our business is going.
Speaker 5: But I don't have to like it, John, I don't have to like it, John.
Speaker 12: Oh no, no, no. But here's the thing. You know, that twenty five game package that's going to be on the Zone is going to mean more jobs in our industry. There's going to be more opportunities for people to earn livings. I think that's good enough. I mean, I've been a subscriber to athleticsince Stay one because I wanted to help employ people. I believe in how the business is going. Do I don't like it, but I believe in giving back into the industry. I think it's important to give back into the industry because it is our life, it is our business, and that's important. And you know, the the zone situation is better. Your your poll is interesting, was it sixty two percent?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Said yeah.
Speaker 12: I guarantee you that those sixty two percent are over the age of forty, and I bet you that the thirty eight percent are under the age of thirty. And that's where young people are going to watch their cord cutters. They have never had cable in their life, and I think it's a brilliant move to try to reach a younger, more vibrant audience, because you know, we're you know, we're not sitting at home in our grandfather's basement watching cable TV anymore. And the kids aren't doing that, and they have to find a way to get to them. And that's exactly what this his own package will do.
Speaker 5: Okay, but where is this? In eight nine years? Is your watching sports bill going to be eight hundred a month?
Speaker 4: John?
Speaker 11: Like?
Speaker 5: Where does it end?
Speaker 12: Probably it probably, it probably won't be eight hundred dollars a month, but it's going to be more. It's discretionary, Rick, it's just do you go to movies? No?
Speaker 4: What do you do?
Speaker 5: Why I sit at home? Best seat in the house, John, is that I'm not twenty one anymore.
Speaker 12: But here, here's the deal. You have relied on the season ticket holder and and and corporate partners and corporate sponsors for your entertainment. Why don't you have to pay.
Speaker 8: Part of that?
Speaker 5: You don't have It's an option. It's an option in life. It's an option. I don't have to have Netflix, but I do have Netflix. And Ryan Walter. Ryan Walter told me.
Speaker 12: A minute, so you would rather you'd rather watch that Michael Jackson documentary.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh, don't ask that.
Speaker 12: Then watch the b then watch then watch the BC Lions.
Speaker 5: But the Netflix is a family decision. I'm not the only one consuming it. The BC Lions on the dazen Or design that is a singular. You have to like the league and the team.
Speaker 4: But it's not Rick. You also get the NFL, you get the NHL, you get Champions League.
Speaker 5: Look, I'm stuck in the John, John, I'm stuck in the eighties. I'll never get out of the eighties. That's the bottom line.
Speaker 12: By the way, Sunstream was the second best suite prior to the twins that played for the Canucks.
Speaker 5: Thomas absolutely, Thomas Gredeen was number one. Absolute smil Gardeen, Fraser and I don't need the zone and I don't need the Zone to tell me that Thomas Gredeen was the best week.
Speaker 12: But I'll tell you what, though, if we went back to your world where you had Bernie and John doing games on Wednesdays, you had a Hockey Night on Saturday, you'd be so pissed off on that Tuesday game at the Coliseum that wasn't on television.
Speaker 4: We were so happy to get that five o'clock game on Saturday night.
Speaker 5: We were every three months.
Speaker 4: We were happy to get one Canuck game a week.
Speaker 12: That's any way, Donnie, Donnie, the contract called for four Canuck games a year.
Speaker 4: Was it that many?
Speaker 5: It was four?
Speaker 12: And I knew that was because the only reason I knew that on Hockey Day was because I got to produce them. Yeah, I mean I get I got to come home four times a year to produce Canut games at five o'clock.
Speaker 4: Can you imagine? Well, Rick wants to go back to that.
Speaker 5: I'm done. I'm not gonna stream. I don't want to stream, and I will never stream. Bottom line anyways.
Speaker 12: But you have, but you have, you have Netflix.
Speaker 5: But that's a family decision. Everybody watches it. The sports are different, your kids aren't. The sports are different. I got nobody in the house watch the CFL other than me. So that's my decision. Crave I don't know, No, I don't know. I don't got Crave. I don't have Crave. Why would I have Crave?
Speaker 4: It's kind of a catch all, pretty good product.
Speaker 5: I'm just an old I'm John. I'm an old fashioned guy, and I I'm really having problems with What do you do?
Speaker 4: What are you just listening again to the radio and that's it?
Speaker 5: Hey, I would I would love to listen to Jim Robson on the radio like I did in the eighties. It was the greatest thing ever, right, But now technology we got a new world and guess what, I'm having a tough time with it.
Speaker 12: In the moment, the moment that Canuck game is not televised next year for some reason or another.
Speaker 4: He'll stand.
Speaker 12: You would have a you would have a fit. You would have a fit. Rick, I mean, it's unbelievable. You know, I can't believe.
Speaker 3: How old are you?
Speaker 5: How old are you? I'm getting up there. I'm not a spring chicken and I'm not twenty one anymore.
Speaker 4: Or are you?
Speaker 12: Are you fifty yet?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well you're younger than John.
Speaker 5: I'm over fifty. I'm over fifty five.
Speaker 12: It is My point is I'm going to be seventy next month.
Speaker 4: Yeah, get over it. I'm having I'm having John, you made the best point. And Rick, you go on and on about our business and how it's dying. It seems to be any support people in our business. John's bang on.
Speaker 5: Okay, So walk up so so I hold that all that where's the where's the zone, where's the zone? Gonna do the CFL game America in in the US?
Speaker 4: What where? Where?
Speaker 5: Where's the talent? Where's their studio?
Speaker 12: Oh No, it's gonna be all it's uh, it's all gonna be Canadian.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: I didn't know that. I didn't know that. I don't know know.
Speaker 12: That's that's the thing is that this is like they you know, I for the most part, I think Amazon is about ninety percent Canadian of the people they have hired to work on their hockey package. I mean, and you should ask Stewart this. This is a good question for Stu.
Speaker 4: Yeah, market the.
Speaker 12: Production that's going to be done for his own will it be Canadian? Because that's he would understand and appreciate that as much as anybody that's you know, fifty to sixty new jobs, uh doing doing football across the country.
Speaker 4: Rick doesn't care not say that. John, We're way over time here. But this has been great, great conversation. We didn't even get into what happened last night in Montreal. Next week we'll talk Stanley Cup playoffs. John, Thanks for this.
Speaker 12: Say hello to Stewart for me.
Speaker 4: You bet. Stuart Johnson coming up a CFL commissioner. There you go. That's that's all we have time to talk about right now. Stewart's next donnye delaitre. Thanks to John, Donny, Dela the team.
Speaker 2: Check Donnie and Dollie.
Speaker 6: The team is supported by Ableauctions dot ca A Closing your Business we can help.
Speaker 4: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner.
Speaker 5: Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 4: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold, Please email at able auctions dot ca. That's Sales n A, b l E Auctions dot ca A Thursday n AS Bench and all of our guests today includes Stuart Johnson, CFL Commissioner, standing by brought to you by the Vancouver Canadian CEAS in the middle of a home stand against Eugene Rick Tomorrow Saturday and Sunday, first pitch one oh five pm at the NAT First five hundred kids twelve an under on Sunday. Get a Seize Jersey For free tickets info visit mi LB dot com. Slash Vancouver. CFL today announcing a new media deal involving TSN, Dezone and YouTube are reported six year deal starting in twenty twenty seven worth five hundred million dollars. This is on top of Stuart's rule changes and scheduling alteration and Stuart joins us now Stuart Johnson's CFL commissioner. Thanks for doing this, sir, How are you How do you have time to do this interview? Aren't you planning tomorre moves more bold moves?
Speaker 1: You know I would never miss this one. I went home, I got change, put a suit back on, so take this interview. I'm pleased to be here.
Speaker 4: Well, you got us beat with the suit. I'll tell you that it might be obvious Stewart, and maybe it comes down to dollars and cents, But why does this deal make sense for the Canadian Football League? Well?
Speaker 1: I think this is a transformational change that's going to happen with the CFL. You know, first up, we couldn't be more pleased to be renewing with our friends at Bell Media, who've probably been the single greatest supporter of the CFL over the last forty years in terms of a partner, and having them come back and be the home of a great Cup for another six years after this, I think is fantastic. They've got the they are one of the most powerful domestic media companies and they're going to drive our storytelling, our game forward here in Canada. And now we can welcome on board to Zone to Zone, the global sports entertainment leader with some of the best platform that is out there, and incredible distribution across every single device and a new way of telling stories. So more voices talking about the CFL. And of course we were so happy to talk about our new partnership with YouTube that's going to have even more content flowing through the biggest video platform in the world, and having them tie their name and their marketing efforts to the CFL. I think it's just great for the entire CFL community.
Speaker 4: Stuy, what do you say to people like my partner here, Rick, who aren't comfortable dealing with and or paying for them new fangled streaming services.
Speaker 1: Why I think you should say, Hey, what's the best way for me to consume the best sport on the planet? And we've got a domestic partner that's already proven out how well they can tell those stories, and de Zone is going to come in and prove that same thing out there. This is the way the future of of sports in the ecosystem of media. And we have now got two distinct voices telling CFL stories, both of them on outstanding platforms. And now also we have the biggest sports platform in the world, taking CFL content to over two hundred countries. It couldn't be more exciting, Stuart.
Speaker 5: We also live in one of the most expensive countries in the world and the dollar is stretching for families more and more and more. The White Caps are on Apple out here, and their numbers are not great on Apple. Is there a little bit of a concern Stuart, that everyone's not going to jump to Dezone?
Speaker 1: I think when de Zone comes out with their new production, they're going to use the backbone of a production house that produces over one hundred thousand events a year to the Canadian front end of that production and show us exactly how they plan to tell our stories. I think that's going to be incredibly exciting and people are going to appreciate that.
Speaker 5: The new TV deal. Talk about the salary cap now it's expected to go up a Stewart. That's got to be great because you're going to have more talent. You can the more players, more money, more talent. I mean, this is going to be a good effect all the way around.
Speaker 1: Well, look, we're thrilled where we landed from a financial perspective. I think I've talked to you guys before. You've asked me what I was looking for and what the league was looking for in our next media deal, and we said, look, we've got to optimize against three things. We want to maximize our revenue, we want to have a broad reach, and we want to be able to find new audiences. And I think this combination of Bell Media, Dezone and YouTube as a premier partner, I think that accomplishes all three of those things. And from a revenue perspective, we aren't confirming any numbers, we haven't spoken publicly about any numbers. I will say that it is a significant increase from where we stand today in terms of overall dollars, and that of course is going to have a wonderful flow through impact and also allow more investment into this league.
Speaker 4: Talking with Stuart Johnson of the Canadian Football League. This is the first time we've had you on in a long time, Stuart, and we apologize for that. But the new playoffs structure, we haven't talked to you about that. Eight of nine teams are going to be making the playoffs. What's the thinking there, because a lot of people are going saying, well, back in we used to make fun of the NHL when sixteen of twenty one teams made the playoffs, what about this?
Speaker 1: I think there's lots of perspectives you can have on playoffs. Let's start. Let's start with the point of view that playoffs are the most important and the highest games of consequence in any league. And we have the Great Cup, the single greatest championship in this country, and our current playoffs structure allows for a team to get there by winning one game, and I think so a lot of different viewpoints. A lot would say that's not really an effective playoffs system.
Speaker 4: Anyway.
Speaker 1: What I love about this is it rewards. It rewards your record in the regular season. If you don't come in the top two in each division, you're going to have a long road to try and get to the Great Cup and win it. It's introducing basically a playing round and that I think is going to be great for there at the end of the regular season as teams battle out to host playoff games. The host of a playoff game over the last five years as one eighty percent of those games. Every game is going to matter and we're going to have more exciting playoffs. We're even going to have the opportunity for a rematch in the playoffs. So I'm really looking forward to how this is going to play out. I think it's very exciting.
Speaker 5: Is Stuart, We got an issue with our soccer team, the white Caps might leave town, BC Place issue, revenue issue. What about the BC Lions and BC Place And are you overall happy with the growth of Lions the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I saw something about John Bruden, Yeah, opening up the BC line merchandise. He seemed really into it. And when we've got John Bruden who is so powerfully speaking about the greatness of the CFL and and particularly the BC Lions, I think that's a good step forward. Look, I've talked to ownership with Amar at the Lions as well as Dwayne and that that front office. They're excited about this upcoming season. They're excited to play at you know, in Colowna, but also back back home at BC Place, and you know, we're looking at a very strong future together.
Speaker 4: And very quickly, if you don't mind, Stuart, first of all, and I think you touched on this, will does Zone be using Canadian broadcasting talent?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they are looking to hire a Canadian broadcasting talent. I'm going to let them speak to their overall philosophy. You can bring them on and where they'd love to. You know, they're the head of the Zonne here in Canada, has roots in Alberta and Saskatchewan. When we first got started talking about a potential partnership, those early conversations were about watermelons on heads of that she remembers throwing up in front with her family. So they've got a great connection to this league and I know that they're going to have voices that are going to resonate with see a band.
Speaker 4: And very quickly, what's your next move Stewart. Yeah, you've made some bold ones Like I said, oh.
Speaker 1: Look, I'm just gonna put my feet up on my desk and relax, and that won't be the case I'm just too excited.
Speaker 4: We have luck.
Speaker 1: We have the right ownership group, the right partners, the reach to just grow momentum and overall grow this league. And I'm so energized by that looking forward to where this season which gets started and I cannot wait till next Thursday, but also running through and outstanding twenty six and then into twenty seven with all the new things that are going on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, real changes, scheduling alterations, the TV deal and you put on a suit for us. It doesn't get better for that, Stuart, thanks so much.
Speaker 1: You're very welcome. Thank you you.
Speaker 4: Bet CFL chirister Stewart Johnson. And by the way, the BC Lions play their final preseason game Friday in Winnipeg.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, it's pretty slick.
Speaker 4: Did he did he convince you that's a good thing.
Speaker 5: Time will tell. We'll see the numbers.
Speaker 4: How do they do?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 4: You've got some business.
Speaker 5: Absolutely look at this, no question about it. BC's number one sports member. Billy and Gaming shop Pastime Sports. Check out the largest selection of sports the autographed Dynoms, trading cards collectible games in Western Canada. Look at this twenty twenty six World Cup apparel.
Speaker 4: Cards Now available.
Speaker 5: If you can't visit them in store, you can shop their massive collection featuring cards from any era online at pastime Sports dot C.
Speaker 4: Laptop.
Speaker 7: Yeah, in front of the laptop, Jonathan, I'm the Karamaki sigin Puck g Roy Simon signed card card.
Speaker 4: Oh the day.
Speaker 8: Sergio Momesso in the Cannocks flying skate uniform.
Speaker 4: Former Montreal Canadian. He was a broadcaster as well.
Speaker 5: I loved Mamesa in the playoffs in ninety four he was great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, scored a big goal against the Leafs.
Speaker 5: The grit that against.
Speaker 4: The Leafs in the Western Conference final. Back in the playoff type Guy, Okay, We're good, Ryan Yep. DTMZ next our thanks to Stuart Johnson, Donny Dolly, the team on Check.
Speaker 5: It's eleven thirty two on a Thursday morning. It is Donnie and Dolly on Check TV. Now time for DTMZ, brought to you by the world famous Whisler Golf Club. Go see big l out there. Great track, Great track.
Speaker 4: DTMZ brought to you by they are all Pulverard design. Whistler Golf Club inviting golfers to stay up today with Phase two of their golf course renovation on Instagram at Whistler Golf. Look at the work there due and just a reminder, the golf shop and driving ranger will remain open this summer. Okay, we went over in our last couple of the interviews, so let's just do this for a DTMZ. Canada winning at the World Ice Hockey Championships over in Switzerland for nothing over the Americans. Devastating hit suffered by Evan Bouchard in the first period, Ryan Lindgren of the crack and laying him out. He got thrown thrown out of the game. That was tough to watch. Sidney Crosby gets his first goal after grabbing nine assists. I think it was non assist. But also Rick Sweden is playing. That was a quarterfinal game for the Canadians, by the way, significant in that they advanced and that remember last year they lost in the quarterfinals. They were up set by Denmark. But Sweden has a one nothing lead over Switzerland early on. Who's got the goal.
Speaker 5: Linus Carlson of the Vancouver Canucks. He is having a great world. Boy, that guy could hit twenty goals next year. Done with the Canucks, I won't be surprised.
Speaker 4: And one of the people who assisted on his goal. Yep, he's on the Canucks payroll. Oliver Ekman Larson.
Speaker 5: Oh, Canucks are paying a lot of people not to work next year.
Speaker 4: Not just what does that upset you so much?
Speaker 5: I don't like what do you think it's normal? You think every team in the NHL has got five people that are paying the.
Speaker 4: Worst person in the world. It's not. As you've proven throughout the show, You're not the one paying the money.
Speaker 5: I got people support me, Russ and Victoria. You know who you are. Russ says, I'm with you one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: And there's just four hundred people who go Dollywall buck up and John Shannon. Shannon made the good point. You go on and on about our industry is in flux right now, it's struggling, and you won't support.
Speaker 5: I just got nothing to do with the people. No, stop it.
Speaker 4: And that was a good point. Admit it. Okay, let's get right to birthdays.
Speaker 5: Donny, let's go right, get up the sponsor, let's go. This is our Birthdays, brought to you by Pork Chop Louis Butcher Shop ed Casino in Pincher Creek, Alberta. This guy was an eighth ron pick of the Maple Leafs way back in nineteen seventy five. Duel eight seventy five Maple Leafs eight thrown dual citizenship Canada and the US. His father there a year again seventy how many times I gotta say in nineteen seventy five eight thron leaves. His father Larry and his uncle Johnny played for the Red Wings in the fifties. He only played one hundred and seventy seven games in the NHL, went to Europe, won a Swiss League title with Davos in nineteen eighty three. He would retire get into coaching, replace Jim Schanfeld in Washington is head coach in nineteen ninety six. Year in ninety six Washington head coach. He ended up in San Jose after the Sharks fired Darryl Sutter replaced Wilson Ron Wilson. Ron Wilson, good call.
Speaker 4: Now there are two Ron Wilson's that played in the NHL. You sure you got I.
Speaker 5: Got the right. The Vancouver Canucks assistant coach under Bob McCammon, Pat quinn as.
Speaker 4: Fine to deal with.
Speaker 5: So he was great. He was great. He didn't have a good run in Toronto at the end there. But then he coached the Americans at the Olympics.
Speaker 4: All right, this guy, boy? Do I remember him?
Speaker 5: On drafted center May won two Stanley Cups with the Flyers in the nineteen seventies. Would also coach a team to a Stanley Cup title in Junior B. He beat out Phil Esposito of the Sarnia Legionnaires for the league scoring time.
Speaker 4: He played for Sarnia.
Speaker 5: No, he played for the other team at field played for Sarnia. He won the Junior High Okay, just listen. Late in the seventy two season, traded to Philadelphia for Jean pop Man, who was the brother of Dennis Dennis. He retired following the seventy sixth season at the age of thirty four. Became the Flyers assistant coach under Fred Cheryl coach Sue Saint Marie Greyhounds to the Memorial Cup.
Speaker 4: Is it Terry Crisp?
Speaker 5: Yes, it is Terry Crisp who coached the Flames to the.
Speaker 4: Number one with Terry Crisp should be what did you I read his book? Well, hey, coch that's that's the number. That's not a clue. I'm telling you I read it well. He was the coach of the Flames when they won the Stanley Cup. But I remember as a kid he was one of the only other players in the NHL from Bobby or his hometown Perry Sound, Ontario. Perry Sound, Ontario, and there's probably others.
Speaker 5: And when he tells the story of Brett Hall and in the American League, they did not get along. Really good story. All right, let's change sports here. Known for practicing until his fingers bled widely, consider one of the greatest guards in basketball.
Speaker 4: History, Brian Adams. Brian Adams played the guitar until his fingers bled. Remember that cuts like a knife. You should know that summer of sixty nine. Why would I know that because you talk to me about how that's a signature and it's not.
Speaker 5: Cuts like a Knight knife, cuts like a knife, is Brian Adams signs Sean just so wrong. Anyway, go have a great video too by Brian.
Speaker 4: The first time I've agreed with you today.
Speaker 5: He played calls basketball for West Virginia Mountaineers, led them to the Jerry West.
Speaker 4: I knew it.
Speaker 5: The logo, the logo the Mountaineers, Jerry West Boy, Was he ever great?
Speaker 4: Four Times?
Speaker 8: Is a documentary coming out on him?
Speaker 4: Well, hold on the series and I'm looking forward to that. But that series winning time, I enjoyed it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the depiction of.
Speaker 4: Him wasn't great for him Showtime Lakers.
Speaker 5: He was all him and even after Kobe and I loved Kobe and Shaq, Kobe and Shack was him too?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 5: This player played six years in the World Hockey Association, sixteen years in the NHL. Named the Western Hockey Association All Star Team three times, won the Apple Ques Hockey wh WHJ, won the af Go Cup twice, three time runner up for the North Trophy, made the Stanley Cup Finals three times as a player, NHL record twenty eight shorthanded goals by defenseman. Played on the nineteen seventy two US Olympic team as a sixteen year old. Never done.
Speaker 4: But Mark Howe, Markow, I.
Speaker 5: Knew as soon as I said that, I knew You're gonna get it.
Speaker 4: Mark cow Boy?
Speaker 5: Was he good? Boy?
Speaker 4: Was he good? You know? How how informed we are now? Are you finished?
Speaker 5: By the way, I'm gone?
Speaker 4: How informed we are now about prospects? I remember my brother's screaming at me. I was downstairs until come up and watch the television. Toronto Marlboro's were on TV playing in the Memorial Cup and Gordy House, two sons were playing for the Toronto Marboroughs. It was and I didn't I didn't even know it right. You don't care about you don't care. You just you don't care. Look less interested if you try.
Speaker 5: And Brian Adam's best song was cut like a Knife, and don't even get that's.
Speaker 4: Not the conversation.
Speaker 7: The conversation is it's a signature song and that is cuts like a knife.
Speaker 4: No, it's not, Yes, it is. You're arguing with Rick.
Speaker 8: If you ask ten people on the street, give me one Brian Adams.
Speaker 7: Song that's like a knight, Cuts like a night. At least nine out of ten Cuts like a knife. So good, We're good, Yeah, Roling Gift Rick Okay, sixty five years old. He's got to help play us out April eighty nine and the album The Raw and the Cook. This is Roland and Fine Young Countibals number one in Canada in the US with good thing a check, turn it up to eleven on a BC Thursday Morning.
Speaker 4: Is it just me? Next?
Speaker 13: The BC Construction Safety Alliance is a not for profit association that makes safety simpler by providing health and safety services and programs to more than fifty seven thousand construction employers and two hundred and twenty thousand workers across the province. We want to bring the BCCSA safety message directly to your job site. Book a free visit from the BCCSA Safety on Tour Mobile Trailer Safety on Tours instructor guides your workers through a series of dynamics safety demonstrations, from the effectiveness of fall arrest systems to the power of proper head protection. At now to book a memorable safety on Tour experience at Safety Ontour dot Ca.
Speaker 4: Is it just me? Brought to you by Opic Outdoor Power Equipment Institute of Canada. Did you know Rick, you can recycle electric? Well, you don't know, because, as today proves, you're like me, you're an old man. Oh did you know you can recycle electric lawn and guarden equipment for free? Opic operates a promise wide network of recycling depots to ensure old power equipment gets collected and recycled responsibly. Visit Opic dot Ca to get more info. That's Opic dot c A. Is it just me? Rick? You're taking a beating in the bayside inbox.
Speaker 5: No, I'm not because look at Russell Victoria. I agree with Rick about streaming. I don't want to subscribe to five different services to watch sports. I prefer cable TV. I like the guide option. I like the couch option. I like the fridge option. We are in the minority wreck Russ and Victoria. Russ gets it.
Speaker 4: Tan Beer.
Speaker 5: Is it just me?
Speaker 4: Or is Rick everything that's wrong with the CFL too old and not willing to evolve as a human being or a league. Streaming is the way to go, and that's from our buddy.
Speaker 5: No, it's not not for me, it's not And anybody over fifty, streaming is not the way.
Speaker 4: To go, don anybody over fifty, that's not Stu Johnson said, it's not the market, ding, I don't they value that market.
Speaker 5: But their games on the Zonne are gonna get young kids to watch. Come on, don, we've been through this. They get that MGM or what's that guy at the Great Cup Chris Burn.
Speaker 8: Kelly machine machine gun, Kelly machine gun?
Speaker 5: What do they call him? MGK MGK? They had him on?
Speaker 4: Did it?
Speaker 5: Did a result in fifty thousand new season ticket holders at every Canadian city.
Speaker 4: You just don't try. You just don't try it.
Speaker 5: Don stop it?
Speaker 4: Uh Jeeves from Surrey is just me. I love seeing Rick getting grilled and beaten by John Shannon today I just added the end beat.
Speaker 5: I did not get beaten by John Shann and I disagree with that.
Speaker 4: You do not support the broadcasting the media industry.
Speaker 5: I don't want fifty I don't want to be told fifty different ways that you got to watch fifty different teams fifty different ways.
Speaker 4: Let me read this one is from Pat and Whistler. We won't bother with his last name. Is it just me? But the Canucks need more Canadian toughness than sandpaper like Claude Lemieux, rest in peace to him. Canucks need to sign Reeves and re sign Douglas for people just tuning in. Claude Lemieux, a couple of days after carrying the torch out at the Bell Center before Game three, has passed away at the age of sixty.
Speaker 5: Just shocking like it we found out this morning, And what a great text Canucks could use. Three Claude musing the line of show every team playoffs games he played. He was a playoff performer. He did everything in the playoffs at every great playoff performer. Does very sad believe it or not. If you want to watch the BC Hockey League on their streaming service. Also, American is sixty dollars Canadian per month, Joan Nanaimo. It's everywhere. It's everywhere. It's American League, BC Hockey League, Western Hockey League, Donnie, it's everywhere.
Speaker 4: Well, I thought you'd support it because it's helping out to BHL. We care about that league, Martin and north Burnamy, is it just me? I predict the Montreal Canadians will come back and beat the Carolina Hurricanes. And I know why you're laughing because these last three games, and I am worried for the NHL. That game was dead last night or Carolina sucked the life out of that incredibly vibrant building, and I'm worried that the dead pock era is going to come back. They end up winning the Stanley Cup. It's the copycat league most leagues are. Our team's going to play the way the Carolina Hurricanes play. Elliott Friedman made a great point postgame last night. It looked like it looked like Carolina had eight people on the ice. Oh you know what I mean, they were just fan sali, They were just just everywhere. Montreal set a record for fewest shots over a three game span in an NHL playoff series ever.
Speaker 5: And they're also two and six at home. You talk about what the greatest place to play Hockey's Montreal? Well, why the hell done are they're two and six at home in the playoffs?
Speaker 4: Well, Carolina has something to do with that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so the Citine Twins, uh want a better relationship between the media and the Canucks. There's no chance they name heronic captain, which you want.
Speaker 4: See. That's another more proof that you were anti media. Look you want tell you want to make coronic who clearly hates the captain and you won't watch CFL games on his own.
Speaker 5: So how many captains in the NHL do you sit there and go, oh, you know he's not good with the media.
Speaker 4: Let's not make it a Canadian market. You need that, you need to communicate with your fan base.
Speaker 7: You do, well, don't I wouldn't assume, by the way, they don't need all that stuff with the captain. Under the last regime, we don't know the stance of Ryan Johnson and Henry and Danerson.
Speaker 4: You know, a captain.
Speaker 5: We don't know that.
Speaker 7: All that stuff about Heronic was when Rutherford was still here, which that's no longer the case.
Speaker 4: Uh is it just me? Unsigned? But guys, did you know Vigo Bjork, who Thomas Grantz talked about, brother of Wilson York, a fifth front pick of the Canucks in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the Canucks drafted him. So if they get view of Ugo of Yorke Donnie, they could have brothers.
Speaker 4: That's the gist of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then go get the ruck brothers out of assayers and then you got the twins and it's.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, it all works. Brother, and then draft Milan Sunstrom, grandson of Patrick suns Patrick.
Speaker 5: Next year one of the greatest Canucks suitets to ever play. What a wonderful thing that was greatest, one of the greatest Canucks tick one of the greatest Canucks. Patrick Sunstrom was.
Speaker 4: Align with him.
Speaker 5: What's what's his name too? Are you kidding me? Screekle Petri Scregel was great. Donnie oh man, was he fun to watch.
Speaker 4: In the days when you only watch games on BCTV and Hockey Night.
Speaker 5: And it was so simple and so nice and no streaming and no paying extra money.
Speaker 4: One game every two months. It was great. Okay, we gotta get going here. Okay, we'll wrap up the show in the poll question The Wadling Dog Poll Question Next Donnie Dolly the team on.
Speaker 5: Check looking for one of Victoria's most iconic stays. The award winning Waddling Dog has been welcoming guests and their dogs for over thirty years. Ten minutes from the airport and the ferry, their room blend vented charm with modern comfort, making it the perfect home base for your island adventures. Your trip isn't complete without a stop at the legendary Waddling Dog. Pop twenty taps Wald Towall TVs every Canucks game and UFC pay per view, plus an extensive daily happy hour, and before you go, stock up at their cold beer wine store, hundreds of local and imported options, plus exclusive Donnie and Dolly merchandise. The Dog isn't just a hotel, It's a destination. Come Sentence Day dog Pole, Rick Bry get her up the Wadling Dog Up Pop Pop question. How do you watch the majority of your sports cable is winning at sixty five percent, then come streaming at thirty six percent. So there you go. As we found out today, CFL games are going to streaming twenty one of them next year in the new TV deal.
Speaker 4: Yeah twenty twenty seven, the CFLs announced a series for people that Know and announced a series of new groundbreaking media deals with Bell Media, Dezone and YouTube starts in twenty twenty seven. Six years, five hundred million dollars, nine million dollars per team per year. Hard to turn that down, no matter what Rick dilling Wall thinks of streaming. We got pictures, photos, photos.
Speaker 5: Before we get to the photo quickly, I want to say something. Dean Baines made a donation Donny to the Canucks for kids. Find out b half for Donny and Dolly right, he does it every few weeks. Thank you Dean for doing that. That's above them, beyond Thank you de Right when we're going the overseas, we're going to Victoria, okay, and we got a photo featuring our good pal Moreno Oh love my tour of the team sales and Victoria Moreno is a joy to deal with. Finally got my Donnie and Dolly took that's a Ken in Chilliwak.
Speaker 8: And he said he picked up another T shirt as well.
Speaker 4: Do we have time to show what Marina has come up?
Speaker 5: Uh with the darn latest merch?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: We got two new quarters hips we mentioned yesterday and I've been told they've been dispatched to YouTube by the way, so they're coming here soon.
Speaker 8: Navy and oh Ray dispatched to YouTube.
Speaker 7: Oh okay, Morena sent them over here to the studio, not to the band.
Speaker 5: I'm not sending them everybody.
Speaker 4: That was the message. I I'm losing it.
Speaker 5: You are out of it. When's the new shipman getting in?
Speaker 8: And the boonty hat on the left there?
Speaker 5: What's it called the boot boonie?
Speaker 4: If John Gruden can wear a BC Lions helmet, yeah, Bono could wear this Johnny and Dolly Quarters. I mean they should send.
Speaker 7: A box over to the YouTube studios and see if they can open it up for us and do a video led Gruden today?
Speaker 4: What else you got?
Speaker 5: Thank you too?
Speaker 8: That was Ken and Chilliwack by the way, who sent us the photo.
Speaker 4: Appreciate it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was great. So Rick will pay for streaming, but he'll spend lots at the bar on Crown to watch the game for free. Stop being afraid of technology, Rick, Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike.
Speaker 4: I'm surprised you uh you're read that unsigned Is it just me? But Dolly is so wrong on the CFL. Just look at what Amar Doman is doing and look at the performers he has gotten for the concert series openers. The new target is twenty to fifty with families. They want new money. Very smart game plan. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. Rick.
Speaker 5: I'm with Don Die and Nanaimo.
Speaker 4: I'm with Rick.
Speaker 5: The commissioner must be a politician thinking we're all rich. No, Don, do you know what? So you good? God bless your Don. If you got five hundred bucks to watch every month five hundred different sports on streaming, God bless you.
Speaker 4: But you know who else has money problems? The CFL and turning down five hundred million dollars is probably didn't turn five.
Speaker 5: Stop saying that, you know that's not It's part.
Speaker 4: Of the deal. The Zone, the streaming service to Zone is part of the deal five hundred million dollars.
Speaker 5: The bulk of the five hundred million is TSN, not the zone.
Speaker 4: You know that. Thanks for tuning in, folks, God God bless Cloud, the meal On behalf of Ryan, Derek Rick, everybody here at Oh Boy in check. I'm done and you up to date the world of sports.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly Podcast. Be sure to follow us on Twitter at Donnie and Dolly for all the latest show content.