Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: I said this to the beginning of the show.
Speaker 3: For those of you just now joining us, Thursday is the new Friday here when it comes to Coffee and Company, the vibes are feeling like Friday. Maybe it's because we got football tonight. A lotter than Life is here. I mean, that's probably be a tough day at work tomorrow if you're somebody that goes to a Lotter than Life tonight. But you know what, John's gonna do it. He's gonna be there to see Slipknot tonight and Offspring and who's the other one?
Speaker 4: Five Finger Death Punch.
Speaker 3: That's right, five Finger Death Punch. That's a good name for a band. It is good stuff. So it is Coffee and Company. We are fueled by Thornton's a Thursday afternoon, but again vibes very Friday like, which is how I like it. We've got some NFL football and night. We'll talk a little more about that matchup later on, just because I want to let you guys know what the play is with underdog fantasy, and you can decide what you want to do. I'm just letting you know that on Monday we cashed in on underdog fantasy, so let's keep that momentum rolling, all right.
Speaker 2: Louisville Notre Dame.
Speaker 3: The line has moved since the show started, according to sports to Draftking Sportsbook, it's now Louisville plus seven. It was Louisville plus six and a half. I think so Notre Dame is deserving to be the favorite, There's no doubt about it. I mean, they're at home and their Notre Dame, and yes, they did lose to Northern Illinois and that loss aged poorly, but they did go in and beat Texas A and M at their place. Now we'll see how well that win ages for them down the line. But in our conversation earlier, if you guys missed it, we brought in one of the Notre Dame beat writers who I thought was very informative, just kind of given some perspective from that side of it, Tyler Horka, who is a beat writer for Blue Andgold dot Com. You know, this Notre Dame is in a weird spot because they usually don't have a Northern Illinois type loss on their resume at this point in the year, and any loss to anybody is going to eliminate them from the playoff for sure. I think they've already got themselves in a tough spot. But now they've got a Louisville team that, on paper is a top fifteen team. I'm not ready to say that I know that for sure that they're a top they are a top fifteen team. But either way, this is one of the more challenging games for Notre Dame the rest of the way, and they've got no room Forrayer. So you could certainly since this is a big, big test for Marcus Freeman. Not that you know this is going to decide if he's the guy for Notre Dame or not, but Notre Dame being out of the playoff conversation before we get to October would not be a good look for him in year three, speaking a good look in Ken Spencer, he's joining us here on a Thursday afternoon.
Speaker 2: Ken, how are we doing, brother, dude?
Speaker 5: What a segue?
Speaker 2: You like that? You like that?
Speaker 3: I just pulled that one out of the back pocket. I just it just it came naturally. So we saw Louisville play a real team last week no offense to Austin p and and Jacksonville State, but they were playing an ACC FO who has certainly shown under brit Key to be, if anything, a solid team.
Speaker 2: What did you make of the game itself?
Speaker 3: And I guess more than anything, what did you learn about Louisville when we saw them play, you know, an ACC caliber team for the first time?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean honestly, like I didn't, you know, I don't know how everybody kind of looked at that game, but but but I felt we will played pretty well that game, you know, like overall, like I think when you play against tougher teams, right, Like, you know, one of the things that I liked was it was not easy Like Tyler Shuck when when he got to his fifth step, he had to get off his mark a lot, and so he wasn't just able to kind of stay in there and he and he had to escape the pocket and make some things happen both with his legs. And I love his decision making process, to be honest with you, Like, I just think that he tries to make it pretty boring as far as like he's just gonna find an open guy and then you know, he's he's totally willing to take shots, as we saw with the long touchdown to Jacory Brooks, even with the past interference. So you know, I like, I liked all of that stuff because you know, look in the acc and when you play tougher teams, it's not going to be so easy for your offensive line just to protect you all day. And it's not going to be easy for the offensive line just to open up gaping holes against you know, pretty good teams, and so like that was that was kind of what we saw, like right, like, they're not just going to be able to run for days and they're gonna have to work for.
Speaker 5: A little bit.
Speaker 6: And you know what they did, and they made some they made some plays that were the plays that you don't count on going into a game, and sometimes you've got to be willing to do that and take the chance. I like them, and they're aggressive mindset in some of those areas. So yeah, I thought I thought overall, like I thought it was a pretty good performance by them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think Georgia Tech under brin Key, they've done a good job of just letting team keeping teams from playing a clean game. You know, Louisville I think did a pretty good job, but it you know, at making plays, and you're right, that's the best way to describe it, because some people have said fluke luck. But yeah, it's just place you don't count on with a special team's touchdown in a defensive touchdown. But I think teams that are locked in they're gonna make you pay for those mistakes. And they certainly didn't have the right coverage on the on the field goal kick, and obviously I don't know what their quarterback was thinking on that on that play. But yeah, I kind of still feel I feel like Louisville right now the team that I thought they had. I feel content that they still can can be that team. But I think this's gonna be a much different test against Notre Dame. How much do you factor in the lost in Northern Illinois, because clearly it's an upset, but that those things do happen, and I think it's a much different situation if Notre Dame didn't have that win against Texas A and M.
Speaker 2: Like, I think they should be favored here Notre Dame.
Speaker 3: They are at home, But I kind of feel like this is where you really learn which Notre Dame team They've got right because they're winning the they're winning the opener, still impressive, but that lost inn IU did not age well for them.
Speaker 6: No, look, I thought, you know with that at that Texas A and M game, and maybe some of this is is Notre Dame's defense. Like I just was, like, this is one of the worst offenses I've ever seen in my life when I was watching that Notre Dame Texas A and M game that night, and so and then they lose Northern Illinois, then they go beat the breaks off of Purdue and then obviously Miami of Ohio last week. No, I think that this this game this week will tell you everything you need to know about Notre Dame. And you know, like you know how you learn about teams what Notre Dame is.
Speaker 5: You'll see this week they're at home, you know. I haven't.
Speaker 6: I saw the forecast yesterday. I don't think it's supposed to be bad in South Bend, like I think it's supposed to be pretty decent, maybe cloudy, Maybe that's maybe that's changed with with Helene. I don't know if it's supposed to get up there or not. But you know, one of the things that that I would say kind of coming into this thing. And this may be just a gut feeling. I kind of feel like Louisvill's a bad matchup for very day. And maybe it's because yeah, and I and I just that's like a gut feeling, and so you know, maybe it's just because of the way Louisville plays, and I feel like the way Notre Dame plays, I feel like Louisville may be a bad matchup for them, and and so this kind.
Speaker 5: Of plays into the cards favor a little bit.
Speaker 6: Probably can't even completely articulate why I feel that's the case.
Speaker 5: It's just by the games that.
Speaker 6: I've watched from both teams. Like I'm like, man at this Louisville team and some of the athletes they got some of the spots it could give Notre Dame fits, I mean, and it also helps you know, when you have a guy like Tyler Shuck in my opinion, and maybe you know something changes or whatever, like he just you know, and the best way I can describe it, I feel like sometimes he plays boring football, like he goes back there and he just finds the open guy, and that's and that's the person who gets the ball, like and and and if you're an offensive coordinator, if you're a fan of that team, god, you love to watch that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's sometimes guys who don't have maybe the best arm, and he's got a good arm, I believe, but you know, keeping it simple and not you know, you know, just making the simple play. I think some guys don't have the ability to fight off the urge to try to make something spectacular happen. And he's been able to make some special plays up to this point. But yeah, Tyler Shuck is just and I can't really articulate why I feel so good about him at quarterback. I mean, his numbers have been good and he looks good, but there's just there's something about his confidence that I think is really going to rub off on this offense.
Speaker 2: And you know.
Speaker 3: He's been a pretty good quarterback that his entire career just has not been able to stay healthy. And right now he is and he'll be relied on for sure on Saturday. I'm gonna sound like such a homer here, Kent, but I think it's a bad matchup for Louis because I think Jeff browms and a lot better coach than Marcus Freeman. Doesn't mean Louisville is guaranteed to win, but I think the match up here, the matchup advantage when it comes to coaches x's and o's, I'd give it to Jeff. And these are games where you know he thrives. I mean, he wins these kind of games. Not to say he's never lost one, but more more often than not, he's gonna have his guys ready to play. I think they'll be ready to play on Saturday. But I'm just curious in your coverage of the team when it comes to Jeff's pres conference and whatnot, Like he hasn't come out and said it. In fact, he's been as boring as he has he ever has been, as far as just saying what he's supposed to say as they get set for this matchup. But I get the sense with the Catholic connection. Obviously he was recruited by Notre Dame. Brian was as well. He talked about that a little bit earlier this week. He'd never come out and say it, but I think he's really embraced. I mean, he's taken Louisville up there to South Bend to play the Irish and they've been there before, but not with him as the head coach. I think this is this game is probably the biggest game for him up to this point as far as just what's on the line.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, the funny thing about it is too is And I was actually getting ready to say this, yes, Jeff is no for the most part, you know, he won't give you any bulletin board material or he won't you know, like he tries to say pretty even keel, but this is one of those games this week. And he did it at the end of his press conference news conference on Monday, like he let you know that this was a big game for the program.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 6: To go up there and to have the opportunity to win this game. You know, so many coaches they don't, they don't come off of this and just say it's just the next game on our schedule. It's the biggest game because it's our our next game. That's that's what most say, you know, constantly, and by the way, like I get it. But he also like at the end, he was like, no, if we can go up there and get a win, this is huge for our program.
Speaker 5: This is a huge game for us. Like, I like the fact that he kind of lays it out there a little.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, it's because it's because he is somebody who's been here around here for so long. His grandfather played here obviously, you know, so he's somebody who came to Louisville before it was you know.
Speaker 2: Cool for guys to do it.
Speaker 3: So I think he it's just one of those one of those reminders that this is different. Jeff's one of those guys that he can give you something really know, whether coach came just because of his story and I know exactly what you're talking about. Most coaches would not say that, but for him it is kind of personal because part I mean, well, the football is part of him.
Speaker 6: Well, and you know we remember the game you know last year that were here. You know, there's there's a ton you know, the games are here between the old one Notre Name. There's a ton of Notre Dame fans.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because of this.
Speaker 6: This is you know, the Catholic here and everywhere and surrounded places.
Speaker 5: You know, it's that's.
Speaker 6: That's a Marquee brand. And if you could go and you can go beat a Marquee brand, it helps your brand. It raises you up, and you know it gets more eyeballs in you so are on you.
Speaker 1: So no.
Speaker 6: I think that the fact that he recognizes that and he'll and he'll convey that to his team throughout the course of this week. I can imagine that the pregame speech on Saturday afternoon is going to be pretty fiery because it does need something, it does beat a little bit more to it.
Speaker 3: Ken Spencer WJS eleven is our guest joining us here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Mark Stoups and his team heading down to Oxford to take on Lane Kiffin and Ole Miss. As they are number six in the country, certainly off to a great start, but they've not really been challenged yet. Before we get to Ole Miss specifically, I mean Kentucky, I think you can make the case they're a pretty tough team to figure out too, right. They look really good at a game that they didn't get to finish against a bad Southern Miss team. Then they get hammered by South Carolina, played Georgia really close, and then really just took care of business, played well against an inferior opponent. I mean, if I was a Kentucky fan, I wouldn't have a clue what to expect here. I think they'll be competitive because they are a much bigger test than what anything Ole Miss is seen up to this point. But just kind of your thoughts on this Kentucky team as they hope to avoid zero to three, but certainly a tall task winning down there at Ole Miss.
Speaker 6: No. I mean, look Oxford's you know they Layne Kiffin has made that a tough place to play, and you know that's a really good team.
Speaker 5: They play ultra fast.
Speaker 6: You know, Kentucky hasn't faced anybody so far this year in the stratosphere of how you know, Old Miss likes to play, and you know they've they've had a little bit of success at times. I mean it's not like, you know, Old this just puts up forty against them, I don't think, but you know, trying to slow them down, you know a touch and being competitive in these games. I think all their games with all this have been pretty close. But but Lane Kiffin, you know, went out the transfer portal and recruited.
Speaker 5: He's got a heck of a roster.
Speaker 6: And I just think that, like you know, when you look at Kentucky and these up tempo teams under March Stoops, specially the last couple of years. They've had a really hard time trying to slow these guys down. You know, And I because I look at ole Miss and I look at Tennessee, you know, the last couple of years for the with the balls and and those those super up tempo teams has given Stoops and and Brad White and and that team fits. So I guess I'm more anxious to see, you know, or or interested to see what Kentucky looks like offensively, because you know, against the inferior teams they've they've actually looked pretty good. And and and against uh Ohio this past week, I thought the passing game looked a lot better. The running game has been pretty consistent, But can you do it against the team for the SEC.
Speaker 5: This is kind of one of those those.
Speaker 3: Big yeah, I think to see that they've not scored a touchdown yet an SEC play against Georgia and against South Carolina, I'd say that those two defenses are certainly a factor in that. But knowing that you're going to have to score to keep up because of what Ole Miss is going to do offensively, not an ideal recipe for this. For this Kentucky team. But if in fact they you know, they they end up getting getting housed here, maybe they lose it by a few touchdowns. You know, wouldn't be a humongous shock. It wouldn't be about Kentucky falling apart nationally. It would be just a good look for Ole Miss because they look like they are positioned to potentially make the playoff. But you got to wonder, if Kentucky starts zero and three in the SEC, they still have to play Texas, which is the number one team in the country. Right now, they know there are games out there on their schedule moving forward that that they can win, and they should win. I mean, Auburn's a win, they should get, Florida's a win. They should get Bandy certainly, and they probably will. But I just I feel like this will be an unusual spot for Stoops, this this early in the year, to have this many losses piling up, and again, two of them will be against top six teams. But regardless of who it is, I think that kind of a start it can mess with your psyche as a team.
Speaker 6: Well, and and that that's the reason why the South Carolina game is always going to be the highlight of the season, the fact that they just lost, they lost the game, you know, and then the fact that the manner in which they lost the game, because that game right there puts them behind the eight ball, you know, when you're playing the Georgia's and the Old Myths and the Tennessee's and the Texas and now the locals of the world at the last game of the season, right like, you know, you don't have a ton of room prayer. So the games that you need to get, you need to go get them. And so that's why the South Carolina game, that's why, you know, like you're right if and it's just set. I think the spreads what seventeens in this game right now, So like you know, yeah, if you lose by a couple of touchdowns, they have to be they really really need to be competitive in this game.
Speaker 5: And see what that happens.
Speaker 6: You know it's in there because you know they they took Georgia to the wire, and so if you're competitive in this game, then then you can still get some positive momentum going. And then you have that stretch where you kind of need to clean house against you know, Vanderbilt, Florida and Auburn if you can, which is crazy to say you need to need a house against it and name Florida and Auburn. But that's where we are in the Year of Our Lord, twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: This this Hurricane Helene. Uh, she's impacted some local high school games here in the area where a lot of schools have decided to move it up to tonight. I could be wrong, and I'm not not trying to put you in a bad spot here on live radio, but that's got to be a pain in the ass for you guys, right.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, look, when you're in the news industry, you react to the news.
Speaker 2: That's true. What I mean, Well, I said, that's a that's a pro's answer right there, Kent.
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, we just we.
Speaker 6: Just got to roll with the punches and you do the best job you can. I mean, yeah, we have a we have a bunch of games. Like but I can tell you now, like we're slated right now. We're gonna we're gonna get out there and get as many as we can tonight. I think we're going to try to get about six of them, you know, tonight, and then turn around and and make sure we got the ring. You're good to go and do it to get the bar night. So yeah, you just kind of plan accordingly, you know, honestly, we've got a great team here, and everybody's just kind of all right, hey, what do we need?
Speaker 5: All right, let's do it.
Speaker 3: So you couldn't have answered that any better. You could have answered any better.
Speaker 6: All Right.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna pile on because I don't know what we could say that would that would shift it in the different in a different direction. But like, what are we doing with the Bengals here?
Speaker 2: Like this is this.
Speaker 3: Is not an ideal start by any means? Can can this be salvaged? I mean, they've had slow starts before, and they actually should have beat two really good teams, well, they should have beat one really good team, the Chiefs. At least we think the Chiefs are good. I'm not sure who the hell is good in the NFL this year, to be honest with you, But where do the Bengals go from here?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 6: It's okay, So I'm I'm now I'm gonna talk. I'm not going to talk as immediate person. Now, I'm gonna talk as a fan.
Speaker 2: I like it laid out.
Speaker 5: It's over, It's over. It's over season.
Speaker 2: It's over.
Speaker 6: Yeah, dude, it's come on.
Speaker 5: When's the last time you've seen a.
Speaker 6: Team like rally from oh to three and go into the playoffs and and and make noise. It's the Washington Commanders didn't punt nick.
Speaker 2: That's so.
Speaker 6: I have a So I have a good friend of mine who I grew up with, who lives in San Diego, is a is a Navy judge out there, lives in San Diego, and we.
Speaker 5: Always texturing games.
Speaker 6: And so I was I was off work on on Monday night because I worked the game on Saturday, so I actually got to sit down and watch it and hang out a little bit, smoke some nice chicken wings, like we were. We were ready, right And I think about midway through the first quarter, I just texted, I said, no way, they're one of this game. None.
Speaker 5: I was already done. I already knew it was over.
Speaker 2: It's a weird game.
Speaker 3: No punts, I mean zero times and had no turnovers and still lost, Like that's just an odd recipe to not come out on the winning end.
Speaker 6: It was because because because here's the thing, and and they're a little beat up right now. But it uh in the front of their defense man. If you don't have a stout defensive line, you've got no chance in the NFL. And Sheldon Rankins was hurt last you know, last week. BJ Hill was hurt last week. Sam Hubbard hasn't been the same. Trey Hendrickson is a good pass rusher, but what's.
Speaker 5: He like on everything else?
Speaker 6: Like, if you don't have a good front in the NFL, you've got no chance.
Speaker 5: And that's what happened.
Speaker 6: Washington just pushed him around and and and.
Speaker 5: Literally I was I was watching.
Speaker 6: Jayden Daniels play, and I said, you know, he reminds me almost like the cross between Joe Montana and Randall Cunningham back there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was a special man. I did not see that coming.
Speaker 6: Because he was just making like so easy play. But like all of his passes, it almost felt like you it was like death by a thousand cuts, you know what I mean, Like it wasn't he wasn't getting you know, huge chunk of yardage and and all of that stuff. But he was getting first downs, and he was moving the sticks, and he was doing his thing with his legs and they couldn't keep him in the pocket. And then he went and made plays on the outside the pocket, and I was like, man, he's just kind of that. Their offense is just kind of touring with him and if and if Washington's gonna do that and it's gonna be tough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean if this probably makes you not feel better, But right now, I mean, who can feel great about where they are?
Speaker 2: The Bills.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know there's some team like the Chiefs haven't lost yet, but they could easily have a couple of losses. And if you didn't know that they have a bunch of Super Bowls in the last decade, you wouldn't look at him and say that they're the best team. So again, I'm sure didn't make you feel better because your team struggling and you know, Monday wasn't great. But like, I think this is one of the most unusual first few weeks of the NFL I can remember, as far as just you know, not only not knowing who's good, but just some really really, I mean, this is something I mentioned earlier that I swear I wouldn't believe it if I didn't have somebody, if I didn't if I didn't see where it came from from a legitimate like a legitimate statistical website that covers this kind of stuff. The favorites in week three can't the biggest favorites all of them not only didn't cover, they all lost outright. Bengals, Niners, Bucks, Browns, and Raiders were all six point favorites are higher and they all lost out right. I Mean, that's that that that's that's just weird.
Speaker 6: Well, and look, I don't feel great about a ton of teams in the AFC, just kind of just kind of looking at it, like if we're just if we're just kind of looking at the at the AFC, but you know, yeah, yeah, like the Chiefs have been in dog fights, but that's just kind of what they are. Like they you know, especially in the regular season, they've learned like when when when they can turn it on, and sometimes that happens in games with them, right, like like, yeah, we've kind of been sleepwalking.
Speaker 3: But now it's kind of And that's a good skill to have, is to be able to do that and still find a way to win.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Buffalo, I think has looked really good. I honestly think that that game this week Buffalo and the Ravens is going to be huge, probably bigger for Baltimore, to be honest with you, because it's it's at home.
Speaker 5: I think the Ravens have looked pretty good. They just they just lost a couple of.
Speaker 6: Games, one to it, you know, to a Raiders seat that they shouldn't have. And so yeah, there's there's not a lot of great teams out there, particularly in the in the AFC. I mean, the Steelers are undefeated and I just kind of feel like they're just kind of scraping by. Yeah, you know what, if you do and if you put enough on you gain some confidence.
Speaker 3: Yep, no doubt about it. Ken, I appreciate you making time for us here on a Thursday afternoon. Always enjoyed the conversation. Have a good evening, have a good weekend. We'll talk soon.
Speaker 6: Brother.
Speaker 5: Hey, brother, stay dry over the next few days.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna try.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna try my best, but looks like it's gonna be tough with Helene on the way.
Speaker 2: Take care.
Speaker 3: That's Ken Spencer from w h AS eleven. Always appreciate him making time for us. He's uh, he's right. When it comes to the Ravens and the Bills, that's a huge game and uh, the Ravens need it, not only to go to two and two to get that bad taste out of their mouth from the oh and two start, but you know, I think they could sort of feel, they could feel pretty content knowing, hey, yeah, we got off to a tough start. Let one game just get away from us with the Ravens lost at Kansas City. But now we just not off the hottest team and we start fresh here at two and two. So easier said than done, because I think the Bills have looked clearly like the best team in the league right now. Quick break, We'll come back on the other side. Keep this thing rolling along. It's coffee and company fuel by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety was this wash it all away because of the rain coming or just.
Speaker 4: And for the five finger death punch that's going to happen tonight. It louder than life.
Speaker 3: I was thinking, like, maybe you know they have a dual meeting that eighty song blaming on the rain, but that would not that would not.
Speaker 2: Vibe with the music festival that's going on. So yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Don't I don't want, I don't want the weather to be terrible the next two days.
Speaker 4: But I've had so much sunshine over the last month. It's like this is Mother Nature's revenge. As we've said before with different things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm already starting to think about, like, you know what we're gonna end up doing tomorrow with with with my daughter, because I you know, wouldn't be shocked if they do in TI, which I mean, why don't they just call it like a weather day, like like no on schools what you're saying, I would never claim to know what goes into making these decisions. And I mean, I'm just I mean, I'm just an idiot sharing an opinion that is uninformed when it comes to this kind of stuff. But NTI cannot be something that is beneficial for anybody involved. And I'm not talking parents, I'm talking kids now Again, If you just do it a day or two because of a storm or whatnot, like you know whatever, that's harmless. But I just think even using it as like something you can do is giving it more value than.
Speaker 2: It actually has, if that makes sense at all. So just my thoughts.
Speaker 3: But again, I'm sure they've they've got a lot of research and studies that have shown them that you know, in TI is worth doing if it's only a few days a year because of weather and whatnot. But anyways, I just i'm as we come back from break, I'm already I'm already stressed and thinking about you know, how we You know, it's.
Speaker 4: Not like it's my fault. I told you my wife's opinion before we came back from break.
Speaker 2: You did.
Speaker 3: But also I got a text from one of my buddies who says that he initially had said that he didn't think that it would be they would do it, and then now he's saying, yeah, it looks like they may.
Speaker 2: So we'll see fingers crossed. Nobody cares.
Speaker 3: But you know, speaking of nobody cares, although I will say, I'm I'm actually surprised how many of you care about my car situation. And maybe you just you know, think it's funny that I've been completely bent over by AutoZone and you know, they didn't even take me out to dinner first. They actually took my money, robbed me, broke my car, bit me over. In a week goes by, I'm complaining and they're just like, no, you're gonna take it because we're not doing anything. I mean, they haven't said that, but I did, get a voicemail during that last segment not for AutoZone from the dealership. My car will be ready to be picked up tomorrow at three thirty. Look at that, which I can't pick it up at three thirty, so hopefully I can make some accommodations.
Speaker 2: Maybe they'll let let my wife go get it or something like that.
Speaker 4: But it was just swim to get it in the storm.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's a whole other thing. Like maybe they're, hey, we're closing up the service department today because of this brain and wind, so you can come get your car, you know, in next week, unless you know, unless mother Nature helene herself, she just hits us with some wind that you know, puts that thing out of its misery. And by the way, I'll continue to defend my car because like, this wasn't my car's fault, This was an idiot's fault, and I do it. I don't like name calling, but like there's really no I mean, I don't even think the people who for three hours had my battery on backwards would take issue with me calling them an idiot for doing that. Like I think they probably agree that they're they're idiots. But anyways, so let me be clear. If ole Miss has a rowdy atmosphere tomorrow or Saturday, I should say when they take on Kentucky, and it's like a talking point, like wow, ole Miss came ready to play in front of their biggest crowd ever and they you know, they they broke a record for attendance. Not don't really how you do that? How can you break a record for attendance when you when you don't, That's what I don't understand.
Speaker 2: Either you sold out or you didn't like.
Speaker 4: I guess maybe they squeeze a few extra on the standing room sections or something.
Speaker 3: So they did set a stadium record last week when they played Georgia Southern, And now they've got Kentucky coming into town, and you know, their fan base online is very, very fired up at at Matt Jones because of his comments about and which are not controversial, Like it's not necessarily two things here. One, it's not really the overall point. It's just the things he said while making the point. I think triggered ole Miss fans honestly, because they probably know it's true, Like nobody would say that Old Miss pre the last couple of years has been like one of the top seven eight toughest places to play in the SEC. I mean, they don't have that big of a fan base compared like they're at a disadvantage in the SEC like andful of other schools because there's way more fans in Mississippi that are Mississippi State fans and old miss fans. They don't have a football tradition like a lot of the other schools in that league. Now, again there's other schools similar to them, but you know, they're number six in the country right now. They're looked at as a legitimate team that could win the SEC. I mean, I don't know if they're going to be able to do it. Getting past Georgia and Texas is going to be a tall task. But you know, they're really good this year and they got a really good coach, which is why they now have like record breaking crowds like they just did last week.
Speaker 2: But I just think it's.
Speaker 3: I've learned this before. I mean, I'm sure Matt knows this too. He's been doing this a long time. He's a smart guy. But they posted that clip and it just it people. It's not taking things out of context. People choose their own context when it comes to a tweet a clip that only has you know, thirty to sixty seconds of comments. You know, people hear things the way they want to hear it, They interpret it the way they want to interpret it, and Ole Miss, like it or not, has been able to determine that they should be offended because of Matt saying that it's not one of the toughest places to play now. He mentioned they get there late, you know, and I actual, let me see see never mind, it's not worth playing because you got some people will you know.
Speaker 2: We'll we'll they'll combust it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the people will combust when people have combusted and just called it, called it a life and ended it, ended their whole life. When I play Matt Jones sound on the show, which I don't do very often, but I think I did it once and I remember, like geez, like you guys realize he's on the station right anyways, I could just see it though, like they're gonna be he needs to just turn like he needs to not check his mentions because I'm sure right now it's nothing but Ole Miss fans letting him know, Oh, we're gonna be there, We're gonna be loud, and you know, you're gonna see just how how crazy this atmosphere is. And I kind of thought, you know, hey, it's just Twitter, and Twitter's gonna do what Twitter is gonna do. Like it's not that big of a deal. But a beat writer who works for the Clarion Ledger, part of the USA Today network, he is now he's now posted an article on the newspaper website that you know, that's a pretty I mean, it's like the Courier Journal of Mississippi. Ole miss is not a hard place to play, according to Kentucky radio host Matt Jones, like it, you know, I'll tell I'll defend him on this. It's what I said just a moment ago. Like if you really just consider what was said, even describing sort of why he felt that way about their stadium, it's not not only is it not controversial, it's not even like it's not even he's not even talking crap, like it's you know, I think that's just I think it's just honest. But it's a challenge to them because they now know that the perception of their home crowd, even Kentucky doesn't respect us when it comes to showing up and making a rowdy environment. So and look, the biggest factor in why they can why they'll have a huge crowd there Saturday, just like they did last Saturday, is because they're a lot better than they like ever been. Like I don't know the history of ole Miss football, but this has got to be one of the best teams at least right now ranked number six in the country, that they've had in a long long time, and they probably deep down know that they won't have Lane kivin for a long long time. I'm surprised that there are college football talking heads out there that are informed, you know, clearly much more than I am as far as like sourcing and reporting on the sport. But why in the world would Lane Kiffin stay at Old Miss and not go to Florida? Like Florida clearly has not had success since, you know, consistent success since.
Speaker 2: They had Spurrier and urban Meyer.
Speaker 3: So some could say, well, hey, it was those two guys, not anything Florida can provide, But I don't buy that.
Speaker 2: Like what Lane.
Speaker 3: Kiffin's been able to do at Ole Miss when it comes to utilizing anil and you know, recruiting at a high level, He's a hell of a coach, and he's probably got some high school kids transfers that have decided to commit there that wouldn't if it wouldn't be for him, But it's just not as sustainable at a place like Old Miss. This is a once in a lifetime I shouldn't say lifetime because again I don't know the history of All Miss. But this is a once in a I don't every twenty year thing that where they have a team that realistically feels like they could be national champion contenders at Florida if you really just do the same thing, utilize the bigger fan base that will help you raise a ton of money when it comes to nil and you've got more to offer, more to sell recruits and transfers, and it's Florida, Like I just why would he stay? Like it doesn't make any sense, Like he could he could go from having a you know, once in a decade, maybe even once every five years. Let's say he stays at Old Miss. I still don't think it's gonna be an annual thing where he can go out and build.
Speaker 2: A roster like this. You can do it every year at Florida, if you.
Speaker 3: If you've if you know, if you've got the resources, and I think they litill have, Like nobody's failed at Florida recently because of lack of resources, So I h I continue to hear people claim, well, I don't know, I think he's stay there. I'm like, why, I mean, and it's not like I think, you know Florida's you know, it's not like I'm defending Florida.
Speaker 2: I just don't.
Speaker 3: I would love for somebody to tell me why it would make sense for him to stay at Old Miss Florida. Maybe it's just because of what they did during my childhood with both Spurrier and and not Kiffin, but urban my like, it's one of the best jobs in the country. And I know people say this all the time. It got brought up when Louisville moved on from Patino and Mac it didn't work after a couple of years and then fell apart at the end, and then obviously Kenny Payne that like that makes the job not good.
Speaker 2: And I always go.
Speaker 3: Down a path here that with no return in sight, because it's really when you talk about what jobs are great, it really just depends on what you like, your preference, like what you really value as an individual it's all selective. So Louisville didn't lose resources because Mac didn't work out and Kenny Payne was a bum. Like So if you get a good coach, and that coach is able to utilize all the tools and they're good at their job, you can still win at a really high level.
Speaker 2: Therefore the job is a really good job, you know.
Speaker 3: I think that's that was Indiana's problem forever. I mean when they moved on from they got it wrong with Mike date Davis, and then with Creane it took a while and it never really broke through. And then they got it wrong with Archie Miller, and I don't know, I don't know if they got it wrong with Tom Crean, but it kind of run its course.
Speaker 4: You know, you had Kelvin Samson too, and that could be a whole different thing.
Speaker 3: Yes, So now you've got Mike Woodson and he's got to win this year. He's done so well with assembling his roster that he actually has made it to where he doesn't just need to win, he needs like he should be.
Speaker 2: They should be pretty damn good.
Speaker 3: If they're not, it'll give Indiana fans a chance to kind of look at you know, what are we doing here? But again, that'll be a sign to me that Indiana has always been a great job with great resources that any coach would love. It's just you haven't had the right guy that can utilize it. And sometimes it's about them just not being as good as you thought they were, or it's guys that really can't handle a big job like that, that they're not built to be that guy within that state, within that fan base, because you essentially have to be a politician. You're more probably more talked about than the governor of the state in Indiana when you're the basketball coach. All right, let's talk about Jefferson in the Hospital, shall we. You guys know they've got their big event coming up. Put it on your calendar if you haven't already, because I don't want you to forget and keep your pets in mind here because obviously you know that's what this is all about. They're doing an event coming up on October nineteenth. It's pints for paws and people at Jefferson Animal Hospital with the American Red Cross, or letting you know that your pets can donate blood just like you can if your pet or I'm sorry. If your dog is at least fifty pounds or your cat's at least ten pounds, they may qualify to be to be a pet blood donor, and every donation can save up to four to six lives. So they're going to be doing the blood work on site, like they'll demonstrate how this works. Therefore, you can be put at ease as far as you're worry and concern about your pets, because I would assume a lot of your pets probably haven't given blood before. But they'll show you how it's done, so you can feel, you can feel you know, you can feel good knowing your pet's gonna be okay. And at the end of the day, it's helping save pets lives. Don't you want Don't you want that? Who wouldn't want that? A sick sob would want that. So again it's Jeffs Animal Hospital. They're gonna have they're gonna have food, they're gonna have the American Red Cross there as I mentioned, where you can actually donate blood yourself as well, so everybody's welcome pets people. For more info go to FABO two or for more info go to Pet Bloodbank dot com. But you can call FABO two nine hundred pets again. It's Jeff's Animal Hospital quick Break. We'll come back and wrap this thing up. Sports Talk seven ninety. Don't forget guys underdog Fantasy, use the code NICK seven ninety. You get a free pick and you get bonus cash if you put some money in there. So tonight again, what I've decided to just I just kind of put one together earlier just to give you reference. I'm actually not gonna take two of these, but I do like Wandell Robinson over thirty three and a half or higher than three and a half thirty three and a half of receiving yards, and I I'm gonna go I'm gonna go higher on Dak's passing yards at two sixty and a half, although I don't love it. You know, the Cowboys are inconsistent and you know, usually not as good as they should be, but they've had good games with Dak even whenever they lose, he's been able to to you know, to play well. So I'm gonna take those two. And because I'm taking the the higher on passing yards, I'm gonna I'm gonna assume that a lot of those yards are gonna go to ceed Lambs, So that's mine. You guys can again, you can. I think there's a momentum here on my side. We were winners on Monday night. Let's hope that tomorrow when we come back for the show where we're saying the same thing, but it's underdog fantasy, use the code Nick seven ninety.
Speaker 2: All Right, we're out of here.
Speaker 3: You guys, enjoy your evening stage Rys best you can, and we'll talk to you tomorrow right here on Sports Talk seven ninety