Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty Wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call. Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: It is five o'clock straight up this Monday morning. It's April seventh. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Ready to get your work week started. I don't know if you had a great weekend. I had a great weekend. We just wrapped up the Wiggle Waggle Walk for Pasadena Humane that was held yesterday at the Rose Bowl.
Speaker 4: My goodness, it was fun.
Speaker 1: It was so great to see I mean like that, like I had been saying the weather was going to be perfect, and it was, and there were, you know, thous of people and their pets out there. And right now, I have cats because I don't know how you guys are, but I have an apartment, so it's just not fair for me to try to have a dog right now, because I know myself well enough that I wouldn't be very good at taking him out on walks. And it made me really want dogs. And there was lots of teeny tiny dogs and big old dogs. We'll tell you about it, but it was a fabulous day. And before we do anything else, I just want to say thank you to the people who came out joined the Wiggle Waggle nope, the wake Up Call Wigglers and came out to support it. What a great day. It was so fun to meet a bunch of you guys and stuff.
Speaker 4: So loved it.
Speaker 1: We'll tell you more about it and how we are on fundraising and all that stuff coming up in just a little bit. Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call. A soccer coach has been questioned about the disappearance and death of a thirteen year old boy from the San Fernando Valley. Police and court records show the coach has also been arrested on an unrelated actual assault charge.
Speaker 4: From last year.
Speaker 1: The boy's body was found in a ditch in a wooded area off a road in Oxnard.
Speaker 4: Last week.
Speaker 1: A wayward whale that had been swimming around Long Beach Beach Wow, I'm a klempt On a Monday morning, A wayward whale that had been swimming around Long Beach Harbor and.
Speaker 4: Captivated crowds has died.
Speaker 1: Experts say the whale had appeared to be healthy, it just wouldn't leave the harbor, but it was discovered dead yesterday. Necropsy will be done to try to figure out why the winky mail Minky whale died.
Speaker 4: It's going to be one of those kind of mornings. Just so you know.
Speaker 1: President Trump says he is not backing down on tariffs unless countries even out their trade with the US. On board Air Force one yesterday, Trump said he doesn't want global markets to fall and wasn't worried about the massive sell off on Wall Street last week. He said, in his words, sometimes you have to take medicine to fix something. Also, a head on Wake Up Call kfi's White House correspondent John Decker, who's on, who's calling the White House as tariffs take hold. We're going to talk to him a little bit later. A judge says, bring him back. ABC's Stephen Portnoy's going to tell us about the deported Salvadoran who the White House admits was mistakenly swept up at an Ice raid and sent to prison, an Ilshalvador.
Speaker 4: And you may have seen him.
Speaker 1: The adorable dog buzzing around in a mini cyber truck while Swaggy is in hot water for a stunt on baseball's opening day at Dodger Stadium. Let's start with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom.
Speaker 4: The family of a thirteen.
Speaker 1: Year old boy from the valley found dead and Oxnard says the coach the team went to visit before he died has been arrested on a separate sexual assault charge. That case is from February of last year. The boy's mom says her son had gone to the coach's house in Lancaster to help paint the team's soccer jerseys, but never made it home. His body was found last week in a ditch off a road in a wooded area. Several women and kids have been hurt by a minivan that plowed into a crowd in downtown Laka. If i's Daniel Martindale says it happened yesterday near Santee Alley in the Fashion District.
Speaker 5: Video from a witness shows a damaged minivan stopped on a sidewalk under a collapsed patio. The six adults and three children who were injured are in fair condition. Seven of the nine victims were taken to hospitals for treatment.
Speaker 1: Investigators they're trying to figure out what led up to the crash. At least a dozen current and former UCLA students are among three hundred in the US who have had their visas revoked by the FEDS.
Speaker 6: So far, more than three dozen students across the UC campuses, including Berkeley, Davis, Irvine, San Diego, and UCLA have all been affected. At least six students at Stanford have also lost their visas. Official say students were notified after routine federal database checks. The government has not explained the terminations, but the actions occur following several high profile cases of pro Palestinian scholars being detained by the federal government. Andrew Caravella KFI News.
Speaker 1: School say they're offering legal aid for international students submit growing uncertainty. The World Series winning LA Dodgers are visiting the White House today. They're doing it while the team is in DC for a three game series against the Washington Nationals. Shortstop Mookie Betts stild reporters Friday he'd be joining the team today after he decided not to join the Boston Red Sox on a visit in twenty eighteen, during Trump's first term. The Dodgers last visited the White House as World Series champions in twenty twenty one. You can catch all the Dodger games on our sister station, klac AM five seventy. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Geordana Miller. Geordana, Israel continues its assault in Gaza. What's the latest in the southern city of Rafa.
Speaker 7: Well, we saw Israel put out new evacuation orders last night for central Gaza, and that was after Hamas claimed a strike on southern Israel that included ten rockets. Five were shot down, five landed in open areas.
Speaker 8: There were a few people with.
Speaker 7: Mild injuries and some buildings and cars damaged, but nothing major. But it does show that Hamas still has capabilities to strike up to twenty miles twenty five miles from its border. Those were long range rockets that were fired, and so the back and forth is continuing. We're going to see the Israeli Prime Minister meet face to face with President Trump today in Washington, a kind of ad hoc meeting, if you will, that was planned really at the last minute. It was born out of a phone call that the Prime Minister had with Trump from Hungary to talk about the tariffs. Right amid all the countries, Israel has a seventeen percent tariff according to the White House, and so Nitanie is coming to talk about that, and of course to talk about Gaza, the stalled ceasefire talks ran and even Turkey's new role in Syria. So a lot on the agenda, and I think what comes out of this meeting with Natanielle, specifically in regards to tariffs, may set the tone for other foreign leaders who we know have been calling the White House and who want to try to negotiate with the President.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've been talking and it's going to be an interesting at least few weeks to see how the world reacts to those tariffs. You mentioned that Turkey's got a new rule in Syria.
Speaker 7: What's that, Well, Turkey, according to the Israelis, Turkey has been in Syria. On the ground, we're you know, looking at various military sites that either were once part of the Syrian regime under Bashah Assad or were part of the Russia of Russia's military build up in Syria, for example, the T four base, and apparent you know, israel Is uninterested in Turkey setting up any kind of military forces in Syria. And we saw the Israelis carry out very aggressive bombing campaigns across Syria in the last week, including at that T four base, and then officials coming out and saying this was a message to Turkey not to get involved in Syria, right, not to align itself with the new leader of Syria, which the Israelis say is just an Islamist you know, in a tie and a suit. But nobody who is really willing to accept Israel's presence in the region, right, So it puts the United States in a difficult position because Turkey, of course is part of NATO, and Turkey has often flirted between the West and the Russia Iranian access. So this is a new development, and certainly the Prime Minister is going to ask for Trump's help in preventing Turkey from any kind of presence in Syria.
Speaker 1: Okay, And then last week we got word that Hamas had said it was ready to release all the hostages as long as that Israel would leave the strip.
Speaker 4: Has Israel responded to that offering.
Speaker 7: Well, it's essentially kind of a false proposal. Even though Hamas said, yes, you know, we'll give you all the we'll give you everyone every you know, all of the hostages back. There's twenty four that are alive and over thirty bodies. Hamas is unwilling to step aside and relinquish control of the Gaza Strip. And so it's not enough to say we'll give you all the hostages back, and if you just leave the strip and just leave us alone in the Gaza Strip, now we can just declare the war over.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 7: I mean, Israel and the United States and much of the West has a serious interest in making sure that Hamas does not retain control of the Gaza Strip. And so, you know, it's kind of like putting a deal on the table that you know that the person in front of you is going to reject just for the sake of saying, hey, we're putting you know, it's like putting one piece of the pie on the table, right, Okay.
Speaker 4: So that wasn't any major night or anything like that.
Speaker 8: No, it's not a real no.
Speaker 4: Okay. And are they still talking or is it everything just stalled?
Speaker 7: Well, things are stalled, and I think you know, this meeting that Nataniel is going to have with Trump could get things moving. Again, right, Witkoff is going to be at the meeting. Steve Witkoff, the Midie stamvoy, and Ron Dermer, the Israeli who's really now heading the negotiating team, he'll be He's flying to Washington as well. So we a some movement on that. It's clear the President wants another deal, and I think the Israelis want to get out anyone they can that's still alive before a larger operation because they know the Israelis know the MOSS is not going to turn over every hostage. It's the only card they have, right, so they're trying to optimize how many people they can get out now before they have to go in. And unfortunately, you know the hostages that may be left there, it's Russian roulette. Who will survive?
Speaker 1: All right, ABC's Jerdona Miller. Thanks for bringing us up to date.
Speaker 4: We'll be talking to you soon, Tuxon.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Talk of a recession is heating up as Trump administration tariffs take effect. JP Morgan is now raising the odds of a recession this year to sixty percent. Former Treasury Secretary Larry Summers's inflation is going up because tariffs are making prices higher.
Speaker 9: Loss to the economy is like if all oil price is doubled. Ever seen anything like this before?
Speaker 1: He says, this gives people less spending power. British carmaker Jaguar land Rover is suspending shipments to the US because of the tariffs. Other carmakers in Europe say they may do the same. Former Jaguar land Rover worker Richard Shuttleworth says a lot of their trade is with the US. They're all going to be a lot of jobs lost if they don't get it sorted. The US carmaker says its paws on shipments will stay in place for a month while it assesses the effects of a twenty five percent tariff. Rising rivers and flooding have worsened across the South and Midwest, threatening communities already damaged by days of rain and storms that have killed at least eighteen people from Texas to Ohio. Utilities have been scrambling to shut power and gas off, and cities have been giving out sandbags to protect homes and businesses. Forecasters warned that flooding could go on for days, especially in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama. Ukraine is planning to send a delegation to Washington, d C. Next week for talks on a new draft of a proposed mineral deal with the US. Talks installed earlier this year after a contentious oval awful oval office meeting between Presidents Trump and Zelenski in February, the two US Senators from New York, Kirsten Gillibrand and Chuck Schumer, are calling on the Trump administration to keep all staffing for the World Trade Center Health Program.
Speaker 9: They are messing around with this program, this sacred, vital program, and we say enough.
Speaker 1: There are reports that employees in the program got notices on Friday saying they could lose their jobs. The program provides health services to nine to eleven first responders and survivors who are sick with nine to eleven related illnesses. The head of the World Trade Center Health Program has been let go, but Long Island Republican Congressman Andrew Garbarino says doctor John Hower was re hired last week. A new study shows having a strong willed mindset can increase your life expectancy.
Speaker 4: Ooh, I'm going to live forever.
Speaker 1: Research by Parens shows having a touch of tenacity or even stubbornness, can actually be an asset to help you live longer. The study says stubbornness doesn't necessarily mean refusing to change, but rather it can mean being resilient in the long term. Hundreds of La County Sheriff's deputies have boycotted the annual Baker to Vegas Challenge cup relay. They say it's in protest to what they call the wrongful conviction of fellow deputy Trevor Kirk. Kirk was found guilty in February of using excessive force on a woman who was robbing a grocery store in Lancaster. Stock futures not looking good as we head into the trading week, following the worst two days on Wall Street since the pandemic. The markets have been tumbling over concerns that President Trump has ignited a global trade war with his new tariffs. Friend's national championship in college basketball will be decided tonight in San Antonio, when the Florida Gators take on Houston in the women's NCAA final. Ukont dominated South Carolina eighty two fifty nine last night to win the women's championship title. At six oh five, it's Handled on the news, and Handle is back from Italy. Can't wait to find out all those things that he hasn't been telling you over the last three weeks.
Speaker 4: Let's say good.
Speaker 1: Morning now to ABC's White House correspond not ABC's kfi's white House correspondent, John Decker. You know, John, I did it like for a week without calling you ABC's correspondent, So got to give me a little credit.
Speaker 4: But I will warn you.
Speaker 9: My bold habits die hard, die hard.
Speaker 2: And I'm going to fall back on.
Speaker 1: I'm going to fall back on that. My mouth is not working today. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I exercised yesterday and my brain's like going, what you don't exercise? So anyway, let's get down to business. So we had a terrible two days on the stock market. We did, Yeah, lots of people talking about recession and are we expecting another dive today?
Speaker 9: Well, stock futures Adalla stock futures point to that, and other financial markets around the world also point to that. Whether you're looking at indices from China, from other indices in Asia or also in Europe or London, We'll have to wait and see. As you point out down days as it relates to the US financial markets both Thursday and Friday, on paper at least six trillion dollars in losses just over those two days. But the President, Amy, he does not show any signs of backing down related to his trade tariffs policy. He believes that it's in the good long term interest of the United States.
Speaker 2: He believes it will lead to a.
Speaker 9: Return of manufacturing jobs to the United States. Wall Street obviously does not look at it that in the same manner. But the President, you know, today he'll be talking about trade terriffs with a foreign counterpart, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the White House. They'll be a joint press conference this afternoon. Amy, Typically they just talk about security, but this particular visit, they're also talking about trade.
Speaker 1: Okay, And apparently Netanyaho isn't the only one who's coming knock in.
Speaker 9: Who are you referring to specifically when you say that, Well.
Speaker 1: That Trump yesterday was saying that, and some of his advisors too are saying that they've gotten calls from like fifty countries about the tariffs.
Speaker 9: Oh yes, yeah, I've heard that number. I've always skeptical or cynical when I hear list this perfect round number of fifty. You know, it's not forty nine, it's not thirty five, it's not thirty six, it's fifty. But in any case, that's what certain advisors to the president are saying as it relates to the Israeli Prime minister. Seventeen percent tariffs. That's what Israel is now facing as it relates to President Trump's trade tariffs policy. But so far, despite all of those outreach conversations that, according to the White House, have been going on, there has been no reversal, no downgrade as it relates to the trade tariff the numbers that the President has put out there for each individual country.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then when it comes to Israel, right before the tariffs went into effect, I know that Israel had said, okay, we'll drop all our tariffs. But now they're still facing seventeen percent. And didn't Trump say we want you guys to drop your tariffs and then will drop our tariffs.
Speaker 3: So there's some sort my understanding.
Speaker 9: You know, that's that's the word of reciprocal. You know, that's what that word means. But the President has not done that. Interesting that you mentioned that, Amy, because over the weekend, a big advisor to President Trump, that's Elon Musk, he put out there on social media. Wouldn't it be great to just have no trade tariffs in place for both the US and the European Union, so there would be essentially a free trade agreement between the EU in the US. But there's no sign of the President taking up Elon Musk on that piece of advice.
Speaker 1: And I wonder if the whole free trade thing could actually happen, because, like you know, Trump says he loves to use tariffs to try to, you know, kind of muscle other countries and stuff. So what's the likelihood that we would just say, Okay, guys, we're going to just trade. There's no tariffs anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I don't think that there's likelihood of that, because what the President wants is he wants to improve the trade and balance that exists right now with the US and most of the rest of the world. The US has a trade surplus as it relates to certain countries, and believe it or not, with Great Britain, with Australia, but not with many countries, and zones around the world, not with China, not with the European Union, and the President believes that because of that trade and balance that exists, the only way to get to the point where there potentially could be a trade surplus that the US has is through this trade tariff's policy. So I think he's sticking with it despite the fact that financial markets do not like it. And you have some I guess you can call them titans of Wall Street weighing in Jamie Diamond, who heads up City Group. In addition to that Bill Ackman, who runs a huge hedge fund and was a huge backer of President Trump, both urging the President to put on pause this tariff's policy. But again the President, despite that advice coming from some of those Wall Street advisors, the President sticking with it.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay if I's White House correspondent John Decker, thanks for the info.
Speaker 9: Thanks Amy, bybye, all right, talk to you soon.
Speaker 1: Friends and family have been mourning the deaths of four young people killed in a crash in Santa Anna. A vigil was held last night. This girl says the teens were fun to hang out with.
Speaker 4: They were always there first, and like we're always there for each other and like I wish I could have spent more time with them, like before they left.
Speaker 1: Thanks. Police say the eighteen year old driver was apparently speeding late Saturday night, missed a turn and smashed into a tree. News brought to you by Simper Solaris. Scientists at UC Riverside say they've found that pregnant women who vape menthol flavored e cigarettes run a higher risk of affecting their baby's development. Researcher chap Non Etamadi tells KFI menthol in the blood of pregnant women can stunt the cell growth of their embryo, and that can be deadly.
Speaker 5: It can cause the disk off the cells, so that's why the m real grew smaller, because the cells will die.
Speaker 1: The researchers say the use of esigs by pregnant women should be discouraged until the effects on their embryos of flavor chemicals like menthol are fully understood. Uncle Sam won't be paying for anti obesity drugs anytime soon. ABC's Rena roy says the Trump administration's Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services has chosen not to finalize a rule proposed by the Biden administration to cover the cost of the drugs.
Speaker 3: Miscoverage could have helped many people.
Speaker 6: With about one hundred and fifty million Americans enrolled in Medicaid Medicare, millions.
Speaker 3: Of them have been diagnosed with obesity.
Speaker 1: She says those drugs can cost more than one thousand dollars a month. The baseball thrown for the final out of the twenty twenty four World Series has sold at auction for four hundred and fourteen thousand dollars.
Speaker 5: Wall swung out for a strikeout was thrown by pitcher Walker Bueller to catcher Will Smith last October thirty, sealing the world title for the Dodgers over the New York Yankees. It was auctioned by Smith and his wife Kara through their Catching Hope Foundation in partnership with the Bueller Family Foundation and the Dodgers Organization.
Speaker 1: Kafi's Daniel Martindale says the money will support wildfire relief efforts in La Good News, a car full of mostly teenagers has crashed into a tree in Santa Anna, killing four of the six people in it. Santa Ana police say the car was speeding when it crashed late Saturday night. Three of the people got thrown from the car. Two are in the hospital, one is in critical condition. Police say they believe that drugs or alcohol could have been a factor. Three hundred international student visas have been terminated by the Trump administration. UCLA Chancellor Chancellor Julio Frank says the decision impacts at least a half dozen current and a half dozen former UCLA students. The federal government hasn't said why the visas were terminated. The baseball thrown for the final out of the twenty twenty four World Series has been sold at auction four hundred and fourteen thousand dollars. The ball was thrown by pitcher Walker Bueller to catcher Will Smith on October thirtieth. The proceeds from the auction are going to go to LA wildfire relief. We're just minutes away from Handle on the news this morning. Handle is back. Thousands turned out in La to protest the president's policies. Handle's going to talk about that and so much more. Right now, let's say good morning to ABC's Stephen Portnoy.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Stephen.
Speaker 1: So we have a guy from Maryland who was deported and sent to an El Salvador in prison, but what happened on Friday that might change that.
Speaker 10: Well, I'm not sure that anything's starily going to change that, but let's talk about what happened on Friday. We're talking about the man Kilmar Abrego Garcia. He was from Al Salvador, came to this country some years ago, applied for asylum, and the immigration court at the time in twenty eighteen said, well, you know, they say you remember of MS thirteen.
Speaker 3: He denies it. We're not going to grant.
Speaker 10: You asylum, but because you say that you were subject to violence in El Salvador from another gang barrio eighteen, we will protect you from deportation to your home country. We will withhold you from removal. And that was six years ago. So the man has gotten married to an American citizen, he's had children all this and apparently he's not been in any trouble, no crimes alleged, but he's got swept off the streets last month and was sent to El Salvador, his native country, where the immigration court said he wouldn't be sent. The federal government's position is, oops, we made a mistake. It's an administrative error, but too bad, too sad, too late. Nothing can be done because he's now in the custody of the El Salvador and authorities in the prison where we sent him, and there's nothing we can do. The judge in this case in Maryland has viewed this as an utterly lawless situation, demanding answers from the government is to how this happened and why well. The administration has been loath to provide that information. And in fact, on Friday in the district court in Maryland, you had an attorney Erez Ruveny is his name, trying to represent the US government before the court.
Speaker 3: He said, quote, your.
Speaker 10: Honor, my answer to a lot of these questions is going to be frustrating, and I'm also frustrated that I have no answers for you on a lot of these questions about why this man was taken into custody and why he was sent off, and why the government's position now is that he can't be brought back.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 10: In response to that argument, on behalf of the US government, the Justice Department has sidelined this man put him on administrative leave, alleging that he has failed to zealously advocate for his client, and not just him, but also his supervisor in the Justice Department has been put on leave for failure to supervise a subordinate And now the question becomes, what now, What of kilmar Abrego Garcia and people who may be similarly situated. We're not talking about the alleged Venezuelan gang members, the alleged members of Trende Arragua, who the administrations say are the worst of the worst, who were never on the streets, but were in detention in US facilities and were sent by the US government to l Salvador and are now imprisoned there. If you caught sixty minutes last night, you saw the story of the young makeup artist who was, according to nobody involved and nobody but the federal government involved in Trende Aragua. And they've offered no evidence publicly to back up the argument except that, well, he had these tattoos and there was a crown, and apparently he was involved in beauty pageants and that's why he had the crown tattoo. Suffice it to say, the government's position is, we don't have to answer these questions, and how dare the judges ask there's a midnight deadline tonight that the judge in Maryland has set for the return of this kilmar Abrego Garcia. The federal government has gone to court in Richmond, Virginia, the appeals court above the district court, to say that the judge has no right to require this and there's no way we can comply because this man is now in the custody of a foreign government.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is I just beg so many questions and Stephen like, why couldn't they bring him back? I mean, they can go in and they can go hey, l Salvador, we gave you all these prisoners.
Speaker 4: We need this one back.
Speaker 3: The position of the government is we can't and we won't.
Speaker 4: Okay. And then here's another question. So he may have Oh.
Speaker 10: And by the way, oh yeah, why would we is part of the argument because yeah, isn't this a gang member?
Speaker 3: Well he says he's not.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what I was just going to ask you, is because he says he's not. Pam Bondy was saying that she there was ice interviews. They're saying he was involved with them as since thirteen. But like you said, if he was given that protection from deportation and he hasn't gotten in trouble, for six years, Like, how far back do they go? Maybe he saw the light got out of the gang.
Speaker 3: Well, if he was ever involved in it.
Speaker 10: In fact, remember that the long story this man involves his parents had a restaurant in l Salvador. According to the filing, he claims he was a victim of violence from the Barrio eighteen gang because of the involvement of the restaurant. I guess it was some sort of I don't know, protection racket. You can think of any kind of organized crime situation in El Salvador. And so he fled that country to come to this one, and I don't believe he did it legally. There's always a question about, well, did did he come to the country legally? There are a lot of these cases involved people who showed up at the border, in some cases with an appointment to claim asylum, but the asylum officer looked at them and said, up those that's a tattoo. We're gonna put you in the lock up while we hear your case. And because they made a determination based on how a person looks, or maybe what they a picture they saw on social media flashing a gang sign, or what they perceived to be a gang sign no real opportunity for a presentation of evidence other than the tattoo and the picture, and they say, up, that's it.
Speaker 3: In the case of this man of Brago Garcia.
Speaker 10: It was based on the testimony of a confidential inform Well, who is that person?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 10: And how trustworthy? Well, he's been trusted before. Trust who trust why? And the only argument from the administration is trust me, trust Trump and trust these people? How dare you question them? Well, traditionally in this country we have the ability to confront our accusers and that this evidence that the government has the burden of proof to prove that these people are telling the truth. In the case of this man, the only court, the immigration court that he stood before, said that he had something of a point. And yet he's wound up in prison in Al Salvador country where he's never been accused of committing a crime, sent there by this country who has not accused him of committing a crime either.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we have the midnight deadline tonight to see what happens.
Speaker 10: Next, and it becomes the increasing conflict between the executive and judicial branches over how much power the president has to pull people off the street.
Speaker 3: Now are they citizens of this country? No.
Speaker 10: But what the ACLU argues is if the president can invoke a wartime authority, as he did in the case of the Venezuela and alleged Venezuelan.
Speaker 3: Gang members, well then at what point is there any kind of check on the president's power.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing this is a battle that's going to continue for a long time.
Speaker 4: ABC.
Speaker 1: Stephen Portnoy, thank you so much for the information. As always, you help, you know, feel back the onion and give us the details that we don't always get.
Speaker 4: We appreciate it. You've bet all right.
Speaker 1: Time to get in your business now with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho, Courtney, let's talk about the markets.
Speaker 4: What the heck.
Speaker 8: It's day, so I know it's exhausting pretty much.
Speaker 7: Good morning.
Speaker 8: Investors are sending pretty much a queer message to Washington that the trade war is threatening to set up a recession. We have seen stocks recover a bit from deeper losses. We had JP Morgan CEO Jamie Diamond coming in weighing out weighing on tariffs, and in a letter to shareholders he said he is concerned, warning that the tariffs are likely to push up prices in the short term and risk a longer term damage to the economy. So he said, the quicker the issue of tariffs has resolved, the better, so the hope for resolution helping stocks come off earlier lose. But also traders have increased their expectations of the Fetter Reserve cutting interest rates this year, and they're looking at about five quarter point moves, So the pace of the selloff slowing down a bit. Taking look at DOWN futures, we're not down to south more than a thousand points like we were earlier. Today, we're only down eight hundred and forty Taking a look at S ANDP futures, that's down two point three percent. But stocks wrapping up Friday session had the worst two day plunge since the height of the pandemic.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. So we're expecting another down day at some point. According to people start saying, hey, now's the time for bargains and start buying stuff back.
Speaker 8: Yes, there are some people who are out there saying, all right, it's time to jump in. We've seen a pullback in the certain stocks that they are looking at. However, a lot of investors are saying a lot of the pros are saying there's to be a lot of volatility coming ahead, and you really have to hold onto your hats with that one thing that I would always advise, and especially in a time like this, like what we saw in the financial crisis and what we saw in the pandemic, now is the time to talk to your financial advisor, look at what your goals are coming up for the future, and then do an assessment. Because you can hear all these people rattling on all day on financial stations or giving their opinions in different news broadcasts, but your investments are personal to you, and that's why you need to be able to talk to your financial advisor to make sure that your goals are in line with what you have in your portfolio in your four to one k right now. So that is super important to think about. Okay, don't go with the crowd. Don't go with the crowd.
Speaker 4: Okay, make personal decisions. That's always good advice.
Speaker 1: Small business owners are reacting to the tariffs.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so, I mean, marks have wiped out trillions of dollars in market and market value, But there are millions of small businesses that sell through Amazon, Walmart, Facebook, and they don't have the market power. They don't have the profit margins to absorb all of these shocks when it comes to tariffs. So a lot of these small businesses, actually they provide about sixty percent of all products sold on Amazon, and it takes years to shift production to other factories. So that's why we're seeing more business owners starting to raise prices. And for consumers, you have to think about this. The average household is going to lose an estimated thirty eight hundred dollars in purchasing power as a result of the tariffs announced this year. That's coming from the budget lavint Yale.
Speaker 1: Okay, And like you mentioned, these are the small businesses, because I also was just watching the news shows yesterday and heard Kia, which is obviously a huge company, is saying, you know what, or maybe it was Honday, it was here, maybe it was Honday. They said, you know what, we think we can hold off on passing these prices along for about two months. But the small businesses don't have that luxury.
Speaker 8: No, and Ford and jeep maker Stilantis, they also they make chrystlers too. They're coming out and saying we're going to give discounts coming up. We're going to give the same discount as we give our employees. But again, they're big companies. They can handle something like that. But some small business owner who has a product developed in a foreign country, that's going to be really hard on them, and they have to figure out a way to be able to make it make a living pretty much.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we will be watching them, and we will talk to you and find out what happens in the stock market today. When we talk to you first thing tomorrow morning, it's Bloomberg's Courtney Donahoe in your business.
Speaker 8: Thanks Cortney, and definitely hang in there, everybody, Okay.
Speaker 1: At least nine people have been hurt when a mini van drove into a crowd in downtown LA. The LAPD says all nine were in fair condition after the crash. Three of them were under eighteen. The crash happen and yesterday afternoon near Santy Alley in the Fashion District. Please still investigating what led to the accident. It's the get everyone's been trying to get. Fox Premieres TMZ presents the Menendez Brothers The Prison Interview tonight. TMZ says the show will include conversations with Lyle and Eric Menendez from prison, as well as family members, their lawyer, and the detective who cracked the case. Tennis legend and now part owner of the Dodgers, Billy Jean King, will add another first to her list of accomplishments today when she becomes the first woman to receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in the Sports Entertainment category. Fellow Dodgers owner Magic Johnson will be on hand at the ceremony on Hollywood Boulevard. We're just minutes away from Handle. On the news this morning, Bill Handle returns Thousands turned out in LA to protest the president's policies. I'm sure that Bill's going to have a thing or two to say about that. Right now, let's say good morning to good morning.
Speaker 2: Hey, Hey, good morning guys.
Speaker 4: Good morning.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Swegerman, you and your dog Swagy have more than three million followers on ig on Instagram, So undoubtedly a lot of people already know about Swaggy. But tell us about you and Swaggy and what you guys have been doing all around southern California.
Speaker 2: You know, so right now, like we're just like our journey just basically started. You know, we've been doing the Internet for over ten years, but these last three months we found a passion where basically we're just trying to unite people to love each other, spread positivity, you know, because we're now we're living in a world where people are not happy, people are sad, people are going through stuff, people are trying to fight, argue, and you know, me, I'm not like too much involved in politics, but like I'm just trying to make everyone love each other and you know, spread positivity and just like make people smile, laugh, And that's what we've been doing these last three months. And okay, so like these last three weeks has been going to like insane, I don't know, okay.
Speaker 1: But tell us for people who are not familiar with you on Instagram what you and Swaggy specifically are doing.
Speaker 2: So basically we are the I'm pretty sure you guys probably send it on the internet with the guy that drives in the little toy car for seven year olds and is a husky and a guy with a mask with a flag, a Mexican flag, an American flag, Canadian flag. So we fly different types of flags and we just go to different places around the United States. And right now we've been doing California and he's just been going to different cities. Okay, go in love and making people smile.
Speaker 1: And you do make people smile if you watch the videos, I mean, people get you know, they get a kick out of seeing a little Swaggy and you driving around in the little cyber truck.
Speaker 4: It's adorable.
Speaker 1: But you had kind of a rough time on opening day at Dodger Stadium when you did that happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know sometimes you know, like you know, you could be very positive, you could like wake up every day like Okay, I'm gonna be happy. But some days, you know, there's times that it could be good days, bad days, and you know, fortunately that day was not the day. And you know, we're just going there to make everyone happy, made people smile. You know, we grew up here in Los Angeles and you know we're a big fan of the Dodgers, and you know, one of my dreams was to be to do first pitch for the Dodgers, but unfortunately we got banned at the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Say what did you do, Swagerman that you man that you got banned?
Speaker 2: So basic. So basically we just took a little toy car made for kids. Children like any seven year old could drive it. It drives five miles power. And once we arrived in the scene on the parking lot, we got basically followed chase. It was like a little mini police chase. I guess and you know, yes, and they basically stopped us, and you know, like, I feel like it was kind of like very unfair because they said that I was kicked out before, but I've never been there, and I actually just got some information from other people telling me that there's another person that's driving in a little seven year old car as well with a dog.
Speaker 1: Okay, so they're saying, why did they say that they removed you from the parking lot at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 2: But they basically they basically said, uh, from from our footage is that the security guard, the main person in charge of the property, he said that the reason why they decide to ban me from the Dodger Stadium is because I was not complying with the officer, and the officer was asking for my driver license and I was telling them that why do you want my driver license? And why am I being detained? I'm not doing anything wrong. If you have a reason for then I will give you my driver license. But unfortunately he just kept asking for my driver license. And all the fans were there and they were actually agreeing with me because they were saying, hey, is he free to go or is he being detained? And the officer just kept like trying to like ask for my driver license and I know my law.
Speaker 1: They didn't arrest you, they but they told you you had to leave, and so we.
Speaker 4: Saw the video.
Speaker 2: Actually, I actually I actually tried to leave and I told the officer, hey, officer, actually, like, can I just go to my car because our car was down the street. And I told her, hey, can we just leave? It's fine, I'll just leave, It's all good. But unfortunately they weren't letting me leave and they were just giving me a hard time. And they were telling me, hey, you know, I could impound your car because this is an unregistered car, so technically I could impound your car. And I was like, why would you guys impound this car. It's a seven year old car. Are you going to go to a seven year old and impound their car too?
Speaker 1: Okay, So Swigerman, let's let's just get real for one second.
Speaker 4: If the reality is it's adorable.
Speaker 1: You're driving around in the little cyber truck with your dog, who is a beautiful, beautiful dog. Is there concern though that you know that that could be dangerous because I drive around in Dodger in the Dodgers parking lot with my car and it's it's a sketchy parking lot.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, people coming and.
Speaker 1: Going and everything's not marked really great, Like, aren't you concerned maybe or maybe they're concerned that you could get hurt by a car that doesn't see you because you were in a little tiny car.
Speaker 2: So you know, like you know, you know, so you know, before we go to these places, you know, we always study and look at the places where we go to, and you know, nfortunately, we went in a time where there was a lot of pagestrians just walking and you know, usually where I was at was it was not as crazy as people think it was. I mean, it wasn't crazy at all. It was just pagestians just walking. And you know, I'm driving in a little car with two big flags, a Dodger's flag and a Mexican flag, and it's like twelve feet so you know, anyone could see a flag from far away. Because it stands out. But I would never put my dog in danger. I would never do that because I take her my dog and I love my dog.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Swegerman, is have you reached out to the Dodgers? Is there any chance you can get your lifelong band lifted or is that.
Speaker 2: Just still to be honest, like it just like you know, the video it went super viral on TikTok. You know, we have like almost seven eight million followers on TikTok, I believe, and you know, the video went viral, probably got like maybe over thirty million views. But unfortunately, like you know, we have not gotten no response from the Dodgers. You know, people have been saying, hey, we can help you get on bend, but you know, I just like I actually want to be able to attend the Dodgers stadium because, like you know, it doesn't feel the same watching the Dodgers in TV or at a somewhere, you know, it kind of hurts. And they didn't even give me a tamline. They just told me, hey, if you ever come back here, you will be arrested. And he told all the security guards that if I come back, I'll be arrested and I guess you know, it's just like the final days. But you know, you know, I'm in that stage in life where hey, if I'm not wanted, it is what it is. It's part of life. Not everywhere you go people are not going to want you there. So you know, I'm still going to be a Dodgers fan and I'm still going to support them, and I do not want anything bad like the Billy to goat what happened. I'm not sure you know the story about the Billy to goat? No, how about that story?
Speaker 4: No, I don't.
Speaker 1: But but just to stay on the Dodger story. Who knows, maybe maybe there will be a meeting in the minds and they can get that lifted or something.
Speaker 2: But and you can you actually get me on ban from the Dodger.
Speaker 1: Stadeck and I I'll ask my people.
Speaker 4: We'll see what we can do.
Speaker 1: Swaggerman, thank you so much for coming on and explaining your side of the story. And please give that Swaggy a big hug because that is one beautiful dog. And be safe out there. What's your ig and TikTok? So people can follow you if they want.
Speaker 2: You guys could just start s w a g R M A N. Or you could just look up Swaggy Wolf Dog on Google. You'll find them. I want to say thank you so much and it's very awesome talking to you.
Speaker 4: Well, it's great time I.
Speaker 2: Wake up early early today.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it really good.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you. Now you can get all kinds of stuff done today. Swaggerman and Swaggy, thanks so much.
Speaker 4: Good luck to you.
Speaker 1: I hope they lift that ban because you know, all your fans need to be together.
Speaker 2: Yeah all right, yeah, we need to stay together. Thank you.
Speaker 4: Take care. I love that. I love that.
Speaker 1: Okay, before we go, I want to mention really cool since we're talking about dogs and he had a beautiful dog named Swaggy Boy, did we see beautiful dogs yesterday at the Wiggle Waggle Walk. Just want to say a huge thank you to all of you who donated and of course the people who joined the wake up call wigglers. It was so great to see everybody face to face. We had the team together and you can go on our Instagram at Amy K King and at KFI AM six forty. We've got some great pictures of the walk and some great pictures of the dogs and the best news of all is that with your help, the KFI Wake Up Call Wigglers blew out our goal of ten thousand dollars. It's right now at like thirteen five hundred dollars, and so that's awesome. And overall for the event they raised more than three hundred fifty thousand dollars and that's all going to Pasadena Humane to continue their work to take care of animals, treat them, care for them, and get them ready for their forever homes. So thank you, thank you, thank you for participating in the Wiggle Waggle Walk. And maybe you'll join us next year if you weren't able to join us this year. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County Southland weather from KFI few areas of low clouds, mainly near the beaches, otherwise sunnys in the upper sixties at the beaches, low to mid seventies for Metro LA and Inlando c mid seventies to low eighties in the valley's ie and Anelot Valley about the same for tomorrow, and then warm it up as we get into the middle of the week. It's forty nine and Anaheim fifty one. Rodondo Beach fifty two in Claremont forty eight in Hollywood. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up Call, and if you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the i Heart Radio app.