Speaker 1: God channeling is dinner clerk, get them the dives.
Speaker 2: Bat's the cat backhand sign.
Speaker 3: Dustin off that gold glove said, you won my spot.
Speaker 1: Come and get it. Want to take your shot.
Speaker 4: We're waiting for you.
Speaker 1: THENK You're looking real hot. Come and get it.
Speaker 5: We're here.
Speaker 4: The road comes through La.
Speaker 1: Come get it.
Speaker 5: If you won't it, I got it.
Speaker 1: Do you think you can beat this team in a series?
Speaker 5: Got it?
Speaker 2: Bist overall best in class Padres fans can line up to kiss our top ring.
Speaker 5: You gotta do what I do if you want my spot.
Speaker 6: Welcome to Dodgers on Tech. Now your host walking you up to first pitch, Tim Kas.
Speaker 1: Everybody, and welcome into Morongo Casino Dodgers Neck your official Dodgers pregame show. You're world champion Dodgers forty seven and thirty one on the season, first place atop the at L West after taking two or three from the Giants last weekend, then three of four from the Padres. Today, the Dodgers wrap up their ten game homestand as they take on the Washington Nationals and try to get the series win. Show, Hey O, Tony on the mound. First pitch from Dodger Stadium is coming up at one ten. Between then and now, we got a lot to get to here. I'm a Wrongo Casino Dodgers on deck. You're gonna hear from Dodger manager Dave Roberts coming up in about twenty minutes. We'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup. David Vasse, our Dodger insider, will join us throughout the hour. He'll go one on one with Clayton Kershaw. That's coming up in forty five minutes. Kershaw just eight strikeouts away from three thousand in his Hall of Fame career. We've got your Dodgers magical moments. Certainly, we'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup. Kirsten Watson will join us from sports in at LA. That in just a few minutes we head out to the Gallpin Motors broadcast. But on this beautiful Sunday afternoon, we be in here from Tim Neffett and Rick Monday. Well, last night, Dustin May and the Dodgers got done in by the long ball. Yeah, Dustin May started well three score settings, but then in the fourth, back to back Jacks James Wood, Luis Garcia Junior Nationals grabbed the two to nothing lead in the fifth. The Dodgers offense finally got something going against that starter Jake Irvin. Thanks to Andy.
Speaker 7: Pie has glad your listening, no matter where you happen to be, around the country, around the world for that matter. Andy pie has swings and hits a deep drive to left. This ball is back and god Handy Piez attacks the first pitch and hits his sixteenth home run of the season.
Speaker 5: Dodgers on the board.
Speaker 7: It is two to one. A majestic fly ball, light tower power for Andy Pies as he just continues to pile up numbers.
Speaker 1: Andy Piz with the bomb, sixteen home runs on the season for Pi Haz. Dodgers down two to one. In the sixth, the Nationals another home run off Dustin May Nathaniel Lowe a solo home run. Dodgers down three to one. In the bottom of the inning, though the Dodgers got that run thanks still Will Smith and.
Speaker 7: Here comes the pitch, swung on and drilled to center and deeep, this ball heading back to the wall.
Speaker 4: This Paul is done.
Speaker 7: Home run Will Smith dead center field. That's his ninth of the season and it is three to two.
Speaker 1: Will Smith goes deep with that bomb. That's the top tier play of the game, brought to you by Arco Quality, top tier gas for less. Dustin May went the sixth Indians to give it up. The three runs all solo shots. Jack Dryer got the seventh. He can up a two run home run to CJ. Abrams. Nationals had a five to two lead in the eighth. Nathaniel Low again with his second home run of the ninth. NAT's a six to two lead. The attack on another on a caber Luissak fly. Nationals led seven to two going to the ninth inning. Ta Oscar Hernandez a solo home run in the bottom of the ninth, his fourteenth of the season, but that was it. The Washington Nationals, one of the worst teams in baseball, tie in a season high with five home runs as they beat the Dodgers last night seven to three. The Nationals won a road game for the first time this month. It's June twenty second, and they got their first winning the month on the road yesterday. They're two to twelve in their last fourteen games overall for the Dodgers. Today, a chance to end this homestand on a winning note. Take this series from the Washington Nationals show, Hey otawy on the mound, first pitch at one ten and with more we head out to Dodgers Stadium in the Gallpin Motors broadcast booth as we say hello, good afternoon to Tim Neffett and Rick Monday.
Speaker 7: Guys, Thanks town, pleasant day here at Dodgers Stadium as the long home stand wraps up in this long stretch of games, twenty three and twenty four days will come to an end before the Dodgers get a day off for a travel day. Tomorrow Dodgers and Nationals Game three. This is the rubber game. Last night, the Nationals put seven runs on the board and the Dodgers only three in winning Game two. But mo last night was unusual in a way. There were seven home runs hit in the ball game. In the Mets Phillies game yesterday, the Mets had seven solo homers and it was the only day in Major League history where there were seven solo homers hit in two games on the same day.
Speaker 2: See, every time you come to the ballpark, you never know what you're going to see, including in this series. I mean, keep in mind the Nashvill's five home runs yesterday, and yet when they came into town, of the thirty teams in baseball, they were twenty second on the list in home runs that were hit well. They hit three in Game one, they hit five last night. So a club that is not known for the long bowl has certainly delivered it here in the first two games of this series.
Speaker 7: In La show hey Otani on the hill. Today he'll also lead off. So again you come to the ballpark, you see things you don't normally see. The starting pitcher leading off for the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The other part too, is Tascar Hernanez not in the lineup. That was pre planned. Will Smith not in the lineup that was pre planned also by Dave Roberts, the Dodger manager. And if we look back to last night, kind of a strange outy for Dustin May. Six innings, three runs on the five hits. All three runs were on the solo home runs. But here's the thing that I thought was weird. He had thirty eight swings that were taken against him in those six innings. There were only six swings and misses, and that numbered itself.
Speaker 5: The Nationals.
Speaker 2: They were just about on everything that he threw.
Speaker 7: So today the Dodger offense tries to get something in gear hitting into a day off. Otani, relatively speaking, has been slumping. He's got just two home runs in his last eighteen games. A slugging percentage has dropped fifty points since the beginning of the month. Mookie Betts has gone two for nine this series, eight for his last fifty that's a one sixty average. Freddy Freeman's been struggling fourteen for his last seventy one in nineteen games this month. That's one ninety seven. So Otani, Betts and Freeman hoping to get going there. They're slumping at the same time. Maybe they'll get hot at the same time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you look at the bottom line at Galton, Rushing is going to do the catching today. He'll bannen the nine spot. Michael is again in left field. Interesting, you look at Conforto, you think, well, the right hander, the left handed matchup. He being a left handed batter, but it's the right handed breaking stuff that has given him problems over the last couple of years. And they're going to be facing a guy and Michael Soroco who has allowed a very low batting average against in particular, not only the curveball, but also the slider.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he'll throw the slur occasionally. The mixture of the curve and the slider too. As far as the Nationals go, we are witnessing this year the emergence of a potential star in baseball James Wood. Last night a four hundred and fifty one foot blast just to the right of the batter's eye in center field. Twenty one home runs on the year for the youngster. He has been dynamic for the national.
Speaker 2: He's fun to watch and the more and more we see of him. I mentioned last night he appears to have a very slow heartbeat, doesn't rush into situations, and in fact, the heartbeat appears to be so slow. And made a comment to you earlier today he comes to the home plate like he just woke up for a minute. Afternoon, nap. I mean, it's just calm, cool and collective. He does not expand the strike zone, at least what we've seen so far. We're hearing he does on the breaking balls, but we'll find out here this afternoon.
Speaker 7: Michael Soroka show, Hey O'tani with Ben Casparius expected to follow Nationals and the Dodgers Game three, the rubber game of this three game set.
Speaker 1: Coming up, Tim, All right, thank you guys, as we count you down to first pitch. Dodger fans, get that game day meal on. Hey, it's lunchtime Shaky's Pizza Parlor right now. Order your Shaky's Pizza, chicken and mojos at Shakys dot com. All right, coming up here on Moroco Casino Dodgers on deck. As we lead you up to show Hey, O'tani's appearance on the mound, You'll hear from the manager Dave Roberts. You'll hear from David Vatsea. You will hear from Clayton Kershaw. We'll dive deeper into this pitch matchup. So much still to come up next. You're O Tani. Rewind and we'll visit with sports in LA's heirston Watson, thanks for being with us as we lead you up to Dodgers and Nationals show, Hey Otani on the mound, first pitch of one ten. I'm Tim Kass, the world champion lost angelas Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 6: Well, this is Morongo Casino Dodgers on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 1: It's the Dodgers and the Nationals on this Sunday afternoon show, Hey Otani on the mound making his second start in a Dodger uniform. First pitch coming up at one ten.
Speaker 5: This is the Otani rewide.
Speaker 1: Well, it's been a quiet week in a homestead for show Hey Otani, who is on the mound today, showy Otani over four last night at the plate with two strikeouts the last seven days, showy Otani hitting two sixty nine, zero home runs, only one extra base hit and he has struck out eleven times. So showy Otani looking to get it done and back on track at the plate and on the mounta today. First pitch coming up at one ten.
Speaker 6: This is Kirston's Corner with Kirston Watson.
Speaker 1: Hey Keiron now joins this to buy cars for kids. Ready to donate your old car? Call eight seven seven Cars for Kids right now, friendly agent standing by to take your donation. That's Cars with the K to donate your car today. We've gotten so used to saying happy Curse Shaw Day over the last eighteen years, Kirsten Watson. Now we get to say happy show Heyo Tani Day.
Speaker 8: Literally, it's crazy to think that this time has finally come, so he's going to be taking down his second start of the season. And of course right now we have to remind ourselves he is still building up, so these aren't going to be traditional starts. In his last outing he only threw one inning. The pitch tout did get a little bit up. He was able to limit the damage just to one run.
Speaker 9: But today there's still kind of that question.
Speaker 8: Mark as to what things are actually going to look like. Is he is it going to one inning of work? Is it going to be two innings of work? It really just depends on the efficiency. Dave Roberts did say today that he does believe that, you know, the stuff's going to be the command is going to be a little bit stronger. He does suspect like the efficiency will be there today. So it could be one inning of work, it could be two innings of work. We've seen him, whether it's been in a sim game, kind of get up to that forty four pitch count range. So there is there are some my guess quote unquote, like bullets in there for him.
Speaker 9: It's just a matter.
Speaker 8: Of of course, how demanding the inning of work is. Things like that, the pitch count so we'll see what happens, but it sounds like we'll be in that one to two inning range for him today and.
Speaker 1: When Showy exit stage left, it'll be Ben Casparrius to come in for the bulk innings. And Ben has been really good in whatever role he's been asked to do.
Speaker 9: He really has and right now there you know, we're kind of seeing it.
Speaker 8: Today's game is you've got two starters who are essentially building up, but due to some of the injuries, to the rotation to the bullpen, you now have two starters who are building up at the big league level. So for Ben, he's just very much like whatever's been asked of me, I will do, even coming out of I guess two.
Speaker 9: Outings to go. Now we were told that he'd be stepping in as a starter.
Speaker 8: That was before show he decided that he would rather be throwing in big league games and in sim games to kind of with his build up.
Speaker 9: So for Ben, I mean, he has built up a.
Speaker 8: Bit more than Showhead, but right now they're just continuing with that progression.
Speaker 9: So in his last one what he nearly got through four innings of work.
Speaker 8: So we'll just kind of see where the game is at what the needs are.
Speaker 9: But right now it's just seeing the two of those guys build up truly as starters.
Speaker 8: And then seeing what is needed, especially I Ben as things go down the line.
Speaker 1: Looking at the lineup today for the Dodgers, Dalton Rush and behind the plate in the outfield left right, Michael CONFORDO, Hey, Song, Kim and Andy Pott has no ta Oscar.
Speaker 9: No ta Oscar. And look, if you remind ourselves, is that the team is not to go on the road. They're going through Colorado.
Speaker 8: Which is not always easy on the body. So Dave Roberts really just wanted to give ta Oscar two days off with the off day tomorrow, so for him, just a routine just a routine day. Obviously we saw last night which is kind of the top of the order, a little bit limited offensively. We know that Freddy Freeman's and going through some struggles, and even for Tay, I mean for him to kind of getting back to where he wants to be since coming off the il with that leg injury or grain injury. So he is someone who he feels like things are coming together we call a home run late in the game, he of course will be available off.
Speaker 9: The bench, but the routine off day for him today.
Speaker 1: Kirsten, we appreciate it. Can't wait to see it in studio on Sports net l Live pre and post. We appreciate it, Kirsten. Coming up here on Wrongo Casino Dodgers on Deck, we'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup with show Hey Otani on the Mount. David bats goes one on one with Clayton Kershop. But up next, well here for the manager himself, Dave Roberts. That's next. As we lead you up to Dodgers and Nationals on this Sunday afternoon, First bitch at one ten. I'm Tim Kasey's the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 6: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 5: On your home for the blue all season long.
Speaker 1: Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck continues on this Sunday afternoon, as we lead you up to first pitch Dodger and Nationals Moraguo Casino Resort and spat a Grand Slam for good times, Show Hey Otani on the Mount, First pitcher, one ten minutes.
Speaker 5: It's the LA Dodgers Injury Report.
Speaker 1: Presented by UCLA Healthy official medical partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Tony Gonsolin on the sixty day IL with the right elbow swords. Tyler Glass now on the I L with the shoulder inflammation. He is in Triple A Oklahoma City today making a start in a rehab appearance. Blake Snell on the IL. Luis Garcia on the IL. Rookie Sasaki is throwing it on flat ground. He's on the sixty day IL with the right shoulder impingchment. Blake trying it on the IL, working his way back from right forum tightness. Bruce dark graderol haven't heard his name in a while, been on this IL all season long with the right shoulder injury. All right, we head back out to Dodger Stadium check in with the Dodgers skipper any Dave.
Speaker 4: Do you think questions for Dave?
Speaker 5: Dave? Can you just describe Dave?
Speaker 4: Can you talk about the pressure in.
Speaker 6: The dugouts with Dave Roberts, Oh, Tommy making his second start today, is they're a little bit more normalcy?
Speaker 4: What to expect him this type of situation?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think that certainly the anticipation is kind of you know, we've done that the first one came out of it fine. Today, I think it'll be a lot more as you said, normally excited to see him, though the baseball expected to be a lot more you know, you know, efficient, better pitch making. But yeah, we'll see. But I'm not sure if it's gonna be one or two innings, but yeah, it's gonna be a fun day.
Speaker 4: Whatever your bumpers are.
Speaker 11: Without revealing too much, is there any room to be convinced for him to do more or.
Speaker 5: If he feels great?
Speaker 4: Or are you sticking to hard and fast rules here?
Speaker 10: I think right now it's more hard and fast, and then you know, as we kind of build more of a foundation, then we'll there'll be some latitude. But yeah, was.
Speaker 11: There any consideration about not having him that lead off today?
Speaker 10: You know I asked him before his last start and he said that he's completely fine with hitting lead off, doesn't want to change, and so I think right now we'll stay status quo. But you know, coming out of this one, he could say maybe you know, it might make more sense to you know, hit second or third or fourth, but right now will remain status quo.
Speaker 1: I you said last time to the swing, is there more issue for him last week or so bad? Have you seen any signs of fatigue.
Speaker 12: Or different now that he's kind of rammed.
Speaker 1: Up the Jane Games.
Speaker 10: I have not seen signs of fatigue. I think, like all hitters, when you start chasing outside the strike zone, it's hard to have consistent success. I don't think that's a fatigue thing. And so but we'll manage it. And I think I can only take him at his word, and the swing speed and all the stuff we sort of track is still in line. So I think that we're still gathering. But again, like I've said, once we ramp up more, it might be a different conversation.
Speaker 1: All right, there's a manager, Dave Roberts, talking a lot about show here. Tani still a batting lead off tonight. How far will he go in his outing today? And what is in store for him moving forward? When we continue here on Dodgers on Deck, we move forward as we check in with David Bassey. Lead you out to First Bitch Dodgers National start number two in the Dodger uniform. First show, Hey, Otani, that starts at one ten. I'm Tim Kats's the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio.
Speaker 6: Network as we were saying yes' is Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 1: Dodgers National final game of this three game set, Dodgers going for the series win, final game of this ten game homestand after taking two or three from the Giants, three or four from the Padres, looking to take two of three from Washington, and they got show Hey Otani on the mount, first pitch coming up at one.
Speaker 6: Ten, joining Tim Cats on Dodgers on Tech.
Speaker 4: I accept everybody for who they are.
Speaker 5: This is Dodger insider.
Speaker 1: David David now joins us on this Sunday before show Hey Otani second outing in a Dodger uniform, and David certainly is still a buzz anytime he takes the mound. We saw it on Monday night against the Padres. Here he is in his second start. What do we expect? Maybe different today than what we saw on Monday night, length, more pitches, What do we expect?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I would say, as the Dodgers laid this out when they announced that he was gonna finish his rehab in major league games, that he would have a progression like he would if he was on a rehab stint in Oklahoma City, so that first start was one inning. He threw twenty eight pitches. That's not something the Dodgers want to see again. They would like probably to get Otani through three innings today. And I don't believe it was a coincidence that Ben Casparius went out to throw a bullpen session after show Hao Tani through his bullpen session yesterday. So it feels like Ben Casparius, at least for the time being, is kind of linked to show Heotani. So I would expect to see casparraus at some point today.
Speaker 1: Dave Roberts, smart pror the front office talked about it. It's gonna be one start a week, David for Showyotani. We saw him on Monday. They didn't want him going to Colorado, right and having to pitch at the high altitude at Corus. Feels that's why they make sure the decision to have him start today on this Sunday.
Speaker 11: That's what I thought, and that's what I was kind of gleaning from what Dave Roberts was saying, and with the Dodgers making that decision to have Otani pitch today in a day game. Nonetheless, after playing last night, is better than having him pitch at Corsefield the day after and off day. I mean, how many times have we heard it just from guys that play part time. It's such a big adjustment to play at the Mile High City. So this is the right move, and you know, obviously it's going to be another exciting day. I would expect to sell out on this Sunday afternoon at Dodgers Stadium just so they could see show he Otani be that two way player. So yeah, I feel like the Dodgers weighed the different options, and let's not forget Otani also is a major part of this decision making process. So to me, it always made sense to have it today rather than him if he is if we're going under the guys of him being in a rehab mode, course Field is not the place you want to have a rehab start, definitely.
Speaker 1: David is brought to by the two twenty five four one to fifty from California's best selling truck brand. It's time to see a Ford in a new light, take advantage of employee pricing through the end of June, David, last time we saw shoeo Atani pitch, he raced to the dugout put on his batting armor. What did you notice that first time around? Going into the second start today.
Speaker 11: I didn't notice a guy that was rushing. He obviously was looking for the bat boy to hand him his hat and his glove, and then they were able to bring up his batting helmet, his elbow guarden batting gloves up to the top step of the dugout. But if you remember, I reported talking to Brian Gorman, who was a thirty year Major league umpire and now supervisor for Major League Baseball, and I asked him, how is that going to work out with the pitch clock, and he said, it will be similar to a catcher leading off the inning after the last out of the previous inning. So a guy that has to put on his catcher gear or take off his catcher gear get it's a lot more leeway coming up to the plate than other players would. And that's what O'tani got. The umpires understand the situation. They're not going to start the clock immediately. And I remember looking at the clock there was over a minute before he walked up to the plate, so there was plenty of time between innings for him to come off the mound, cool down and also put on his batting gloves and elbow and batting helmet and get ready for the at bat. Also a funny thing that I saw Bob Garan with a towel wiping his forehead. Tim, So Bob Garran will be there like a corner man in boxing, ready to go.
Speaker 1: Love it, David, appreciate it. What check back in with you in just a little bit. Coming up here on Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck will dive deeper into this Sunday pitching matchup up next, soh your Dodgers Magical Moment. It's a Dodgers in Nationals. First pitch at one ten. I'm Tim Kates's the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 6: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunters game on your.
Speaker 5: Home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 1: It's the Dodgers and the Washington Nationals on this Sunday afternoon show. Hey O, Tanyo on the mountain. First pitch coming up at one ten.
Speaker 10: Dog.
Speaker 4: Dog who wants Hot?
Speaker 6: It's time for the Hawfe Magical Moment. It's Magical presented by Hawby Hot Dogs.
Speaker 1: We go back to August twenty third, nineteen eighty nine. How many of you were alive back then? I was Colin he was not. Dodgers taking on the Montreal Expos, who have become the Washington Nationals. On this day, the game would go twenty two indies between the Dodgers and Expos in Montreal until Rick Dempsey would give the Dodgers a lead.
Speaker 3: Dempsey hits a long shot till that field and the Dodgers break the scoreless tie. They lead one to nothing on Depsey's home run. Rick Depsey gives the Los Angeles Dodgers a one to nothing leading off the twenty second inning.
Speaker 1: Dave van Horn on the call as Rick Dempsey hits a home run in the top of the twenties second to help the Dodgers win in twenty two innings. They beat the Expos on this day in August twenty third, nineteen eighty nine in Montreal, one to nothing, one of the longest games in franchise history. This Hofey Magical moment brought to you by Hafty hot Dogs, Hafey so Cow's local Treasure for nearly one hundred years. Haffy hot Dogs Local and so great. When we continue here on Dodgers on Deck, we will check you out well. Rick Monday and DVD lead jumps the First Pitch Show. Hey Otani on the mound, I'm Tim Kasey's the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 6: This is Marongo Casino, Dodgers on Deck on your home for the Blue All season Long Dodgers National Show. Hey oh, Tommy makes his second start at Dodging uniform. Mike's Soroka. Yeah, you actually pitched for the Nationals first bitch coming number one ten and now joined by David Massey. Here's La Dodgers broadcaster and World Series champion Dodger Rick Monday.
Speaker 11: Rick Monday, you know all about playing center field at Dodgers Stadium in day games. Hey, Song Kim in center today for the Dodgers. What are the challenges that we fail to recognize?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be very honest and upfront. I've talked about this a couple of different times. I used to hope in day games it would be overcast because it's difficult to pick up the baseball in relationship looking into the stands day games, and then you don't really see the ball coming off the bat exceptionally high early in the ball game. Now too, Yesterday the longest day of the year, so the shadows may not have any effect in this afternoons game, but it is difficult in center field. And as you and I are talking, you know, Kim was just taking some fly balls in center field trying to get the contrast. It's difficult with depth perception sometimes in day games when you have a cloudless sky, so again I used to hope they would be overcast, and.
Speaker 11: When you played center field, the seat colors were a little bit different and darker.
Speaker 5: So and the other part too, is years ago.
Speaker 2: Remember there were the dugout boxes right so there was not a solid background right behind home plate. There were the seats that were that were lower than the field itself, so it was difficult to see. And even the back wall of the dugout seats were kind of well light colored, if you will, not really dark colored, or where there was not really a great contrast.
Speaker 11: I've been assured by outfield coach Edino Ebel that hey, sung Kim will be wearing his sunglasses and not having him on his hat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know you don't like that.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, for a couple of reasons. It tells me, Hey, you probably have a real good contract with a sunglasses company, or b you don't trust your teammates to leave them on the bench. Maybe somebody takes them, hey, Rick.
Speaker 11: Speaking of playing defense in a day game at Dodgers Stadium, Justin Turner told me this when he played third that everybody talks about how tough it is to see fly balls. He said, it was really difficult to see ground balls at third base.
Speaker 2: Also in spring turning sometimes because not all the ballparks have a dark cover. If you will around the seats at field level, it can be very, very difficult. The other part, too, is people don't understand. The closer you get to the field, the better understanding you have is the speed of this game is played. The farther away you are from the field, it appears that the game is much lower. Talking about velocity of the baseball, you get close, and I mean so just down in the field during manic practice, it's amazing how hard the ball gets hit. I mean you have an instant to basically react.
Speaker 5: And also just.
Speaker 11: Sitting by the dugout in games, Rick, I can understand when you and others talk about how the game may get too fast for certain players or coaches. The game is faster when you're even just sitting that near to the.
Speaker 2: Field, and especially when the competition gets at its best, for example, late in the games, if you're behind by a run or a head by a run, and every bald that's thrown, every swing that has made, and every catch that you're trying to make, it gets magnified even more. And then it gets magnified as you progress during the season. And that's why I say all the time. Postseason play is a totally different animal. And that's where you really have to tell yourself, mentally, emotionally slow the game down. You're really telling yourself to slow down, but you'd like to say, look, let's slow the game down.
Speaker 4: How many times did you have to tell yourself that?
Speaker 2: A few? A quick story Moury Wills. I've told his story twice. Moury Wills playing shortstop and it was against the Cincinnati Reds and Frank Robinson was the hitter. More is it shortstop? It was a game. I don't remember which year it was, but it was a game that Maria said they needed to win, and the bases were loaded. Here's Frank Robinson. He's at shortstop Maria's and he says the game was getting ahead of him. He called time out so he could tie his shoe. He goes, there was nothing wrong with my shoelaces, but that was his way of being able to take a moment slow the game down. And then I asked him, so, what was the results? He says, Thank goodness, he hit the ball to somebody else.
Speaker 11: Sometimes that's the best answer. Rick, thanks a lot for sharing all that. We'll see how Kim and O'tawi do today. Oh that'll be fine, all right, I love it. Another win for the Dodgers. We'll send it back to you in the studio.
Speaker 1: Tim, all right, thanks a lot of DV. Thanks a lot, Mo. As the Dodgers get ready to take on the Washington Nationals, that's the game plan. What's your game plan, Dodger fans? How about starting your future at a California community college. Financial aid's available to help you with tuition, books, Yeah, sometimes even the rent. It's time to take that next big step. Ball classes are right around the lasses. Give bill quickly. You so a roll today and I can go to college dot com. Still to come here on Dodgers on deck. We'll get you a preview this pitching matchup. Rick, We'll be back with Tim Neffertt. They got those keys to the game with shoe A O'tani on the Mount. Up next, so we go high and tight with Clayton Kershaw Dodgers Nationals. First pitch of one ten. I'm Tim Katson's the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 6: As we were saying yes, is Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 1: It's the Dodgers and the Washington Nationals, final game of this three game series, final game of this homestand show Hey Otani on the Mount Dodgers Baseball's proximy. Then she hand crafted sushi. We got it for lunch today, Colinye and I here in studio. I picked up a mango crunchy dragon roll. I got a spicy two in a roll. Colin wanted the salmon roll, but not gonna do that today. They got poke bowls as well, if you like those. They got platters for any part of that you're going to find ze. She knear the deli counter at Ralph's So easy to find, so simple to pick up. It's made fresh on site daily by professionally trained sushi chefs. Saw the guys and gals today or at the Ralps and Burbank on point of vistas, then she handcrafted sushi, always fast, fresh and easy.
Speaker 6: And now what will likely be vast fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 1: It's an engagement of endearment.
Speaker 5: This this high and tight.
Speaker 11: When a future Hall of Famer is only eight strikeouts away from three thousand in his career, you gotta get dressed up.
Speaker 4: And I'm dressed up for this guy.
Speaker 11: Clayton Kershaw on Sunday, Thanks a lot for the time, and yeah, you look great too.
Speaker 12: Yeah, thanks for thanks for wearing the three piece today, David, you look great.
Speaker 4: You look great. How does it feel being just eight strikeouts away?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 11: I know Freddy reminds you how close you're getting every start, but do you have to fight chasing those eight.
Speaker 12: Bus It's taken a little while, It's taken a little longer than I thought, but uh no, you know, I'm really just trying to pitch. You know, at the end of the day, this wrikeouts are supposed to happen and Uh, they'll just come when they come. But it is getting closer. You're starting to feel it a little bit more. And uh, you know, I try not to pay too much attention to it, but you know, I am thankful. My teammates are excited for me, and Freddie especially keeps reminding me. So it's, uh, that is that is cool. I mean it shows that they care and they want me to, you know, do something cool like that. So I do appreciate that.
Speaker 4: That's cool.
Speaker 11: You hear about hitters when they're on the doorstep of five hundred, they kind of go into a little prolonged slump trying to hit that home run.
Speaker 4: Is it different for a picture Well, I think.
Speaker 12: So you got more opportunities to strike people out, you know, I think, uh, you know, you only get four maybe five at bats of game, So that that that's a little more understandable. You know, I shouldn't I shouldn't go on a strikeout drought that bad. You know, we are going to Colorado next, but make make make get it through that one and then see where we are.
Speaker 11: Skip Schumacher was your first ever strikeout here at Dodger Stadium. How often did you remind them of that, and how often do you still remind him?
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's great. You know, I get to uh, I get to that for the rest of my life with Skip, So that's awesome. And it's just kind of cool that, you know, I got to play with Skip and get to know him, and he really is one of the best. So it's a it's a cool strikeout to have, and yeah, I remind him all the time.
Speaker 4: That's great.
Speaker 11: Showey Otani's on the mound today, second time with the Dodgers. You're always top step watching every game, but is it different on days like today.
Speaker 12: Well, it's just amazing, Like that crowd for the first game, it was like it was like a golf match, Like it was like we were back in Japan. You know how quiet it was because they're just watching so intently, and it was so quiet that first sitting just watching show. Hey, like you saw everybody on their feet, like with their cameras, and it really is just kind of like a spectacle, you know. And so you know, eventually we'll get used to him being back on the mound and being out there every however many times he pitches, but you know, the first couple of times is pretty impressive. Because you know, we've seen him as this for so long. Now as the best hitter in the game and now potentially being one of the best pitchers in the game is just I mean, it's kind of amazing to see on a day and day out.
Speaker 11: Basis were you checking out his preparation before a pitching start.
Speaker 12: It's kind of yeah, like just everything he has to do, Like I was, you know, day game. You know, if you're pitching a day game, the starter leaves early, and I'm like, well, he's got in that bat here in the eighth inn. You know, you can't leave, and so you know just what all it goes into and all the different things that he has to do to get ready. It's I'm not envious of him, for sure.
Speaker 11: Hey, I remember a pitcher when pitchers used to hit, hitting a big home run against the Giants an opening day back in twenty thirteen, So don't sleep on kersh on what he can do.
Speaker 12: That's right, Yeah, I mean, show are very similar in the box, very similar back in the day.
Speaker 11: Hey, you've seen a lot over the course of your eighteen years with the Dodgers. You've had flare ups with different teams. Parado, Para Diamondbacks Granky versus Quintin with the Padres.
Speaker 4: What did you make of.
Speaker 11: What took place during that four game series against the Padres.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just kind of blame it on the schedule.
Speaker 12: You know, you play seven games ten days, and you know there's hit by pitches that are a little bit more on the forefront of people's minds just because you know it's happened so recently. So at the end of the day, you know it's it's probably fair on both sides. You know, like that tempers boiled over. They didn't like Tatis getting hit. We obviously didn't like show Hey getting hit. So it's just kind of one of those things as part of the game. It happened a lot more back in the day, and you know, both teams handled it and hopefully it's you know, over and done with come August.
Speaker 11: There was a period of time in thirteen and fourteen the Cardinals' pitching staff seemed to be throwing inside with no regard and whether or not they would hit any Dodgers. What what is the unwritten rules about pitching inside?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean you have to pitch inside, you know, I think if you hit the same guy on purpose or on accident multiple times. You have a right to get upset, especially when he's one of your superstars. So I understand that side of it for sure. And you know, if you're going to retaliate and it's going to be on purpose like that, you're going to get suspended. And that's that's just the way baseball is. That way he goes.
Speaker 11: Where does it rank as far as it seems like you guys take on all comers over the eighteen years you've been here, I don't know.
Speaker 4: There wasn't a lot.
Speaker 12: I think that was more you know, Shilty and Doc getting after it a little bit, which I appreciate, you know, they're both protecting their guys. So I think the players it was a little bit more of like a staring contest, you know, which is probably probably good.
Speaker 5: We don't need anything.
Speaker 12: But Diamondback one was pretty wild. Yeah, I think that was you know, I remember Big Mac having you know, Matt Williams over there and Kirk Gibbs, all those guys, So that was that.
Speaker 4: One was real.
Speaker 11: That one was real, all right, Clayton, Thanks a lot for the time, and look forward to seeing you at chorus Field. Eight strikeouts away from joining Steve Carlton, C. C. Sabathia, and Randy Johnson as the only left handed pitchers in baseball history to have three thousand punchouts.
Speaker 12: That's a great list.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 1: That'd be cool.
Speaker 11: All right, there he goes, humble but hungry, the great Clayton Kershaw.
Speaker 1: All right, speaking of hungry, how about some Shaky's Pizza parlor that thank you, David, Thank you, Clayton. Dodgers Baseball is presented by Shaky's, Official Pizza partner of the Dodgers Audio Broadcast. When it's game day, it's group day and shakyas dot Com we're leading you up to first pitch Dodgers and Nationals show. Hey, Otani's on the man, will dive deep into this pitching matchup Next, don't go anywhere. I'm Tim Kats's the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 6: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunting game on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 1: Dodgers wrapping up this three game set with the Washington Nationals. Final game of this ten game homestand first pitch from the Ravine coming up at one ten and.
Speaker 6: Now before the Dodgers hit the dining. We look at the pitching matchup.
Speaker 1: For as hit by your Southern California Toyota dealers work hard and play hard in a New Tacoma with an I forced turbo charts engine. It's a truck built for the bold. See your Toyota dealer today. They make it easy. Mike Soroka on the mount, twenty seven year old right hander out of Canada. Eighth season on the Big leagues. Came up with the Braves White Sox last year. Now at Washington National You go bay Way. Back to twenty nineteen, he was a National League All Star All MLB Second Team in his breakout season for his second in the National League Rookie of the Year voting six in the Cy Young Award voting. He's had an up and down career since then, making his tenth start here in twenty twenty five last time out six innings, three runs, five hits, nine strikeouts and the loss of the Rockies. This is his third time facing the Dodgers in his career. Show Hey Otani on the mound for the Dodgers, thirty year old right hander making a second start here in twenty twenty five in a Dodger uniform. Monday, one inning against the Padres. We'll give up one run on two hits, a sack fly, twenty eight totals pitched. Maybe he'll build on that get to two innings. Today. He's facing the Nationals for the second time in his career. He faced him in twenty twenty three as an Angel seven score less, scoreless innings in a win. Show. Hey O Tany Mike's Aroca Dodgers Nationals. We're fifteen minutes away from fairst pitch keys to the game. Our next I'm sim Kase's World champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 6: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers.
Speaker 9: On tack.
Speaker 5: On your Home for the Blue all season long.
Speaker 1: Lead you up to Dodgers and Nationals on this Sunday afternoon show. Hey O Tani on the mound, First bitch coming up at one ten. The Dodgers with twenty nine wins at home this season, most in the major leagues. When the Boys in Blue play at home, it's important they have the right plan to protect their house. The same applies to your home. Always have a plan and follow fire safety tips. It's fireworks season fourth of July, right around the corner. So make sure you're practicing fireworks safety. Use safe insane fireworks at displayed the California State Fire Marshall Seal on it. Always read the directions and ensure fireworks are only lit by adults. Never ever use fireworks in your dry grass or other flammable materials. For more about these tips and to find out others, visit fire dot CA dot gov. We head back out to the booth.
Speaker 7: Tip never Rick Monday, guys, thanks to we count it down to the first pitcher today at Dodgers Stadium, final game of this home stand on a Sunday afternoon show. Hey, Otani will make his second start. He'll be the opener today. Last time out against the Padres went just an inning, but he threw twenty eight pitches, which typically is a two inning workload. Typically you'll see pitchers when they gear up go two innings, thirty pitches, three innings, forty five pitches. We'll see what is in store for Otani today, but he is the opener. Ben Casparius is expected to take the bulk of the innings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought, just looking at the performance also by Otani, you know he threw ninety eight ninety nine and had one pitch at one hundred. This is just a stepping stone for show Hey Otani to get back into the swing of things as far as stretching things out on the mound. And we'll find out also that transition after the time of the first inning, that transition from being a pitcher, put the glove down, grab the bat, come to home plate and lead things off.
Speaker 7: Michael Soroko will be facing Otani first in the bottom of the first inning, with the starter for the Nationals on a one year, nine million dollar deal with Washington, the former Atlanta Brave left. He's hitting two sixty seven against him at right handers only won seventy nine. So we'll see Soroka against Otani slash Casparius today as the Nationals take on the Dodgers in the rubber game of this three game sectim.
Speaker 1: All right, Dodger fans, get ready, Show Hey Otani takes a mound when we come back, Dodgers Nationals all about the postgame when this game is over. Reaction from show Hey, Dave Roberts of course, all the highlights as well. Enjoy it. This has been Morongo Casino, Dodgers on deck on the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network