Speaker 1: Org, brought to you by the US Force Service and the AD Council.
Speaker 2: Breaking news coming in from Bet three sixty five, where every nail biting, overtime win, breakaway, pick six, three point shot, underdog win, buzzer beater, shout out, walk off, and absolutely every play.
Speaker 1: In between is amazing.
Speaker 2: From football to basketball and hockey to baseball. Whatever the moment, it's never ordinary. At Bet three sixty five, Gambling Problem Call one eight hundred Gambler eighteen plus only must be physically located in Kentucky.
Speaker 1: Portions of the following program were prerecorded.
Speaker 3: He rips into the hot sports issues of the day the way I writ been to a big old bag of barbecue chips, fast, furious, and without mercy. Coffee and Company with Nick Coffee today at three on Sports Talk seven nine Day. It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled my Thorntins on Sports Talk seven nine Day, Pauly crap.
Speaker 1: If I don't know who the hell we think when we are get off our show.
Speaker 3: Idiots, the kids are playing or trail off and your countries are screwing it up.
Speaker 2: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inn Murals.
Speaker 3: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 4: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 4: Here's Nick Coffee?
Speaker 5: All right, Happy hump Day, Welcome in coffee and company, fuel by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety Nick Coffee, that is me. Appreciate you hanging out. We're taking you up until six o'clock. So sit back, relax, make yourself at home. I say we because I'm not alone. The one and only radio Rick Ryder is alongside today. Rick, you mind me asking a question? I should have given you a heads up, but that's ok.
Speaker 1: He old? Are you don't mind me asking your age?
Speaker 6: I'm seventy two years old.
Speaker 5: Seventy two years old. When did you get into this world that we call broadcasting radio? Well?
Speaker 6: Actually, I got my first job right out of high school. I got a job at a radio station here, working fill in and part time. And they called me up right after they hired me. A week after hiring me, and they said, we got somebody going on vacation next week. Can you come in every day and do afternoon drive? And at that time I was going to college and I had a couple of classes in the afternoon.
Speaker 1: So it was.
Speaker 6: But it was between two things, going to class, like I was supposed to or skip PLU, skip class for a week and be on the radio. So I chose skip class for a week and be on the radio.
Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 5: I assume a lot of people would probably have done the same thing. But uh, you know, you've been you've been with me on the air here, here and there for for many years now, and people hear you on KSR as well, and somebody I thought to myself, I'm gonna rememb to bring this up next time we've got Rick in producing the show, because somebody said that you have the best radio voice they've ever heard, and I thought, you know what, he's got the smooth tones, he's he's a he's a pioneer in the radio industry. So we're talking that's gotta be. Is that fifty ish years ago?
Speaker 6: Yeah, something like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, goodness, gracious, we've got a legend with us today and we're happy as always when he's here.
Speaker 1: So like they're saying, radio Nick, that's right.
Speaker 5: That's right, good stuff. So we're with you until six o'clock. So again, sit back, relax, make yourself at home. I have no guest schedule today, so feel free to give us a call. Five h two, five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number. It is Game day Louisville and UTEP. And yes, these are the kind of games that I try not to complain about them being on the schedule, you know, especially not on the show, because I know it's nothing you can control, and I get that there's there's and I don't want to say certain fans. I think every fan enjoys watching their team play, but obviously, you know you want to see your team, maybe not tested, but you want to know going into a game that you or playing somebody that if you beat them and you look good doing it, there's something you can really take from that. And UTEP is not one of those teams.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: They're not Duke, they're not All Missed. They're not West Virginia, they're not Oklahoma, they're not Indiana, they're not Tennessee. But they should be, you know, put it this way, they're probably Winthrop area, if you know what I mean, Like they're better than Bellerman, they're better than Morehead State, probably around the Winthrop level, but a little bit better. And you got to keep in mind, Louisville now is not the same team they were when they played these kind of opponents previously. You don't have Cason Pryor anymore. Korin Johnson only played a couple of games before you lost him for the season, and Trey Ora same thing. He's not played I think since maybe the Tennessee game. So you know, I'm hoping that Louisville's able to come out tonight and win and not make us sweat it out to where we're worried about suffering really the first bad loss, because that's what this would be. So I'm actually a little more excited for this game than I usually would be, because you know, you need to win. You've lost three in a row and they haven't been to bad teams. But you know, when you play these kind of teams before you get into conference play, you better win because if not, I mean, it would be a big black eye on your resume. And it's really tough to even project what Louisville's resume is going to be like when we you know, when we get towards the end of February, close to March, I mean, I don't think anybody truly knows and I get why there are many that aren't as optimistic about this team maybe being a bubble team tournament type team, just because of how things have gone thus far. And it's not really anybody thinking that, you know, I know that the excuses are not what anybody wants to hear, and you're not gonna hear from Pat Kelsey because he's gonna make sure these guys don't give themselves excuses, don't feel sorry for themselves. They're going to continue to go out there and try to win games, regardless of who's on the schedule, and do whatever they've got to do to try to compete and win.
Speaker 1: But like we, I think everybody.
Speaker 5: Realizes this is your first year in a new era that was clearly needed in a major way, and who knows how good this team really would be at full strength, But I think we saw enough to feel like they could easily be a tournament team at full strength. I mean, maybe they could end up being a you know, top twenty caliber team at full strength. I mean, it's tough to say, and we'll really never know because obviously you had injuries that happened early. But it just feels like Louisville basketball has been through a lot over the years. I mean, they haven't made a tournament in what two last time they made the tournament was twenty nineteen, so five years ago. They haven't made the second weekend in ten years. Think about that. The last time Louisville basketball made it to the second weekend. This season here is the ten year anniversary for that. And there's been a lot of nonsense going on, right, Coaches getting fired, scandals, I mean, it's been you know, NCAA sanctions. I mean, it's just been. Man, it's been awful. You know, I had to say that, but it kind of has. Right, You've had to deal with that really has nothing to do with your team's just losing games. You're dealing with stuff that's just, you know, nonsense. So you've had all that going on, and yet now here you are, where you've turned the page a new era. Pat Kelsey as your head coach. He put a team together that who knows if they were good enough to be, you know, a real contender, but I think he did put a team together that you feel like would be fun to watch and would surely make the tournament. And now they've got this bad luck of injuries to where it's just you know, it sucks, it can it can certainly make you feel defeated. But I'm gonna sound corny here, but it's just it's just it's just how I feel. I think we're going to continue as a fan base to be motivated, and you know, I don't maybe motivated it's not the right word, because our motivation we don't we don't actually play, We have no impact on what happens in the game and whatnot. But I just think these guys are going to continue to play hard. I think they're going to steal a game or two that maybe they aren't supposed to win. I hope, and I do believe that they can avoid losses to teams like you see tonight on the schedule in uten and there's gonna be a lot of bad teams you play in the ACC, and I think, despite being shorthanded, they're going to continue to be able to win those games because you know, the mindset of the guy leading this whole thing right now is really really important.
Speaker 1: I mean it always is.
Speaker 5: I not to go back to the previous regime, but you know, I think I've always known this, but a real reminder for me during the Kenny Pain era is that a coach is a leader. You can lead in different ways. You can coach with different styles, like you're there's a lot of different ways to do it, and there's different ways to do it and be successful. But I don't think there was any bit of me. Kenny wasn't a leader, And you know, we learned that the hard way. He probably learned that the hard way. But Pat Kelsey is a leader, and I think a really good one. And you can say it's corny and it's it's certainly not something that's going to win you ball games, right. His energy, his enthusiasm is optimism. Like you can have all that, but if you can't coach, you don't have good players, you don't have a good strategy, then like none of it matters. But I feel like it will matter as far as getting the most out of this current team this season, because look, they are who they are. They're not They're not getting Prior back this year. They're not getting They're not getting Corn Johnson back. Trey Ora will see it. Sounds like he's still a few weeks away, and I hope that he comes back. But we are in a world now to where if the half the season's already gone and you've lost a handful of games, maybe he just decides, yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna sit out the rest of the year. I mean, I'm not saying, you know, it's still that weird area to where like I don't know if like that's insulting the young man. Maybe he's just chomping at the bit to get out there and play. But like players now have the ability to kind of, you know, sit out and get an extra year. I mean, that's exactly what Colin Lacey did on the football side. So there's been some talk of him adding some kind of an international player during the semester break, but I mean, I don't have any info as far as if that's for sure gonna happen, and whoever it would be, I have a hard time thinking they would make, you know, a huge impact. It would probably be somebody that just gives you another body. So I kind of feel like it's played out up to this point to where, you know, the things that Pat Kelsey showed us the day he got here and introduced himself to all of us in his press conference and really won it in a major way. I think those things are really really important as far as again getting the most out of this current situation. And we'll see what happens tonight. I expect this team to come out and play well, be ready to play, and hopefully they take care of business and win this game without making us have to worry a whole lot about it as far as if you know, if it's in doubt. But I still think that the way they came out and played against Duke Man, they would have really been easy to go through the motions a Sunday at six o'clock against one of the best teams in the country. You've already lost two in a row, you got blown out the game before. Confidence couldn't have been high when they just missed open shot after open shot against Ole Miss. But they came out, they still played with confidence. They clearly recalibrated some things offensively as far as what they want to do. And I you know, I know what I sound like, sound like, you know, a loser, a guy who loves moral victories. But I'm just being honest and transparent with you. I think that there was some positives from that game, and tonight I'm hoping they can carry that over despite it being a loss that they suffered against Duke. And you also got to keep in mind this the last time this this group's gonna get some real repetition against a real team before they play Kentucky on Saturday. And I said this yesterday, why not say it once more? I still there's I've not it.
Speaker 4: I have to.
Speaker 5: I've had to just randomly kind of remind myself when I think about this weekend. You know, when I think about this weekend, I'm not you know, I'm to the point now where at my age, I'm like, all right, I'm gonna try to remember. I know my wife has probably told me some things we're gonna be doing. She's probably made plans and arrangements for me, but I don't really remember before I ask her, and then she gets on me for not listening to her. I'm gonna try to remember what it is. So then I go through you know, what I know is going on this weekend, And twice in the last couple of days, I've had to think, Okay, yeah, I guess it is the Louisville Kentucky game, but like, it doesn't feel like it in any way.
Speaker 1: It is earlier than he usually is.
Speaker 5: But you know, I just I wish Louisville would be at full strength here because in look, Kentucky's not a full strength either. They're gonna be without Kirk Crisa for a while. Lamont Butler didn't play against Gonzaga. I would imagine he'll probably be back for the Louisville game. But the rivalry is renewed with both programs having new coaches that, as far as the offseason, did a really good job at getting their fans excited about this new chapter for both Louisville basketball and Kentucky basketball. I just you know, I know Louisville's not even close to being the team that that we we knew that was built, right, the team that was assembled to go out here and get off get this Pat Kelsey air off to a good start. But hey, maybe maybe you know, I guess crazier things have happened. All right again, it's coffee and Company, and we are feel about Thornton's here on a Sports Talk seven ninety. Don't forget. You can take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeart Radio app. Listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com and if you want to be a part of the show today, you can do it again. We don't have any guest scheduled, so give us a call five way two five seven one seventy nine hundred.
Speaker 1: That is the number to call in.
Speaker 5: You can also text in on the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line BABO two six by three zero seven ninety. Questions, complaints, complements, insults, whatever you've got, feel free to shoot them our way. The Bill Belichick stuff is happened in folks. I know it was a big topic yesterday, just as far as knowing that there were reports that it was I guess close to being finalized, and then you didn't really get any kind of final confirmation that it was happening.
Speaker 1: And now you've got I mean.
Speaker 5: It would be there'd be a lot of retraction if in fact this is not real. But inside Carolina, it's an outlet that's covered Carolina for a long time. They've got over one hundred and forty thousand followers on Twitter. I believe they are a part of the on three Sports network. I believe they are the ones who I think today are are putting it out. They're putting their name on it. As they say, and letting you know that Bill Belichick, they're finalizing the deal and he is going to be North Carolina's new head coach. And I don't want to regurgitate and give you the same opinions thoughts that I had yesterday. But here we are twenty four hours later, and I still don't understand how this makes sense. I mean, the only thing that I can can see from the Belichick side that would make it make sense is that he just wants to get a gig at the college level, have a little bit of success, show that he can still despite you know, not in my in my opinion, I don't see I think he is the most unattractive candidate you could ever find as far as just somebody that you know is eager and ready to succeed in this new world of college football. I mean, he's clearly a Hall of Fame coach. He was phenomenal with with with the Patriots, like we all know that, but like, how does that translate to where you're going to be really good in college? So, like, you know, the only thing that makes sense is that he brings his son to be the DC and then whenever Belichick moves on maybe either go back to the NFL or to you know, retire because he's in his seventies. Maybe, you know, maybe at that point, you know, that to me would at least make it make sense as to why he was so wanting this job at North Carolina. But from the Carolina side, other than saying, you're hiring a legend, what is.
Speaker 1: The benefit here?
Speaker 5: I mean again, I know he's been phenomenal as a coach, but I just feel like the current college football player out there that wants to talk in IL that knows they don't really have to take you being a jerk, right, they can they can leave. I mean, if you're going to be in a hole and do the you know, break him down then build them up, players can decide, yeah, I don't really want to do that. I don't have to do that anymore. I know that's the old school way instead of you know, this process of you breaking me down and really just coaching me up and challenging me. I don't really want to do that because I can leave, I can hit the portal like I just don't. I just think the compatibility right now with Belichick in the new world of college football is just it just makes no sense for this move, but it's happening, and I mean it gives the ACC I guess some notoriety like it gives the ACC some attention, meaning you know, now you now know people are going to be tuned in more so than they probably would be if it wasn't Bill Belichick getting this job because people want to see how it's gonna work, you know, how he's gonna do. I mean, imagine like four years ago telling somebody that Bill Belichick will be coaching the North Carolina football program. And imagine telling somebody four or five years ago that Dion Sanders would be at Colorado and have you know the Highestman Trophy winner on his roster. I guess he hasn't won it yet, but he probably will. So it's happening. Belichick is uh is gonna be the North Carolina football coach, and I still just don't quite get it. All right, some other things we'll get into today. We now know what Tyler Shuck's going to do, and as expected, he's not going to play in the bowl game, and I think that makes total sense.
Speaker 1: But now I'm curious.
Speaker 5: It's Okay, who's gonna be your quarterback in this game specifically, because.
Speaker 1: If in fact, you.
Speaker 5: Lose more quarterbacks to the portal, I mean you've already lost Brady Allen. Like, I just feel like if Pierce Clarkson is ever gonna show us something, and I don't want to act like he's shown us that he can't play, but he just hasn't. You know, he's never been the starter because there's been guys that have been ahead of him. So this may be, you know, I mean, who knows, maybe this is like the only game he ever starts here at quarterback because they're going to bring in somebody in fact that that's somebody's on campus now if it ends up being Miller Moss who's visiting the USC transfer so we can certainly get into that. Also, we've got a breakdown of the amount of money that the NIL collectives across the country has brought in in the year twenty twenty four, which of course is about to come to an end before too long. And we'll tell you where Louisville, Kentucky, Indiana came in as far as how much money their collectives have been able to round up. Also, Mark Stoops, I don't know the specifics, but i'll certainly try to get it. But I saw that he's had he's having offseason surgery. I don't think it's anything serious, but man, the responses the comment section of these posts about his surgery, Like, man, it's just another reminder that that fan base hates this guy right now. And I say right now specifically because I think they do appreciate what he did, but they want him gone in a major way. And it just is a reminder that this thing has a much much more like it's much more likely for this thing with Stoops and Lexington to end really ugly than it does for him to like go out on a positive note. I mean, he's gonna have the opportunity because he's not going anywhere. They're not firing him. But man, I just don't know what they're gonna end up doing to get fans energized for football next season. I would imagine by the time you go through the summer and you see the roster, like, fans are always gonna want to be excited. So maybe that alone gets some momentum. But I don't, you know, I know I've said this multiple times in the last few months, but I feel like each time I say it once more it's just gotten worse where I feel like the noise from this Kentucky fan base as far as what they think about their football coach and their football program right now, I mean it's it's not good, and it's been louder than it's ever been. So we can certainly get into that, and we got a lot of other things we can get into today. I'm gonna mix it up, have some fun, and you guys can be a part of the show as mentioned five way two, five seven to one, seventy nine hundred. That's the number if you want to give us a call and we'll take you up till six o'clock. So hang out with us right here. It's coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 4: Now back to coffee and company fuel my Thorntens on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 5: I just had a double check. The game tonight Louisville and UTEP is going to be on the ACC Network Extra, which means you will need to have some type of device to watch it, meaning if you just rely on your box that you get from Spectrum or like Direct TV or I guess I mean, I now consider it like the old school way of watching of watching like TV. I mean, I guess it's not like ancient. In fact, there's probably a lot of people that still rely on a cable box or something like that. But yeah, you just need to. But if you have any kind of like plan, rather it be Spectrum or YouTube TV lot, you know, Hulu Live, whatever, it is something that gives you access to watch ESPN, all you got to do is just go to the ESPN app rather that be on your iPad, your phone, your smart TV, your Roku, your fire stick, your laptop, whatever, and just log in with your TV provider and you'll be good to go. Now, this UTEP team, you know, we talked about them a little bit yesterday. They're not you know, they're not. They're not some real threat as far. Let me back up a second, because, like Louisville's so thin, their margin for air is very small to where like if they don't play well, they could lose to just about anybody, including this team tonight. But they are off to a decent start. Meaning this UTEP team, they're six and two, no real notable wins, and their losses have not been great losses. But this is their first challenge against a team of this caliber. And trust me, I'm not saying that because Louisville's some elite team, but Louisville is a power for team and this is the first time UTEP's played one of those opponents. So one thing to keep in mind about this UTEP team is they are really good at turning you over. In fact, they're the number one team in the country when it comes to forcing turnovers at twenty eight percent. So Louisville I feel like it has been a little more turnover prone lately than you know you'd want, uh, And sometimes they're gonna have turnovers because of just the way they play as far as style, meaning they're going to live with some mistakes they're gonna or they're gonna live with some some gambling on defense, and they're gonna live with a turnover here and there that's just caused by maybe frantic pace, but because they want to play that style and they think, they hope that that it'll even out to where not only even out, but it'll be worth it in the end if you can get the game played at your at your pace. But now you can't really do that with the lack of bodies that you have, and in recent games Louisvill's had some careless turnovers that I don't really think I'm chalking up to style of play or I mean, it's just kind of being careless with the ball. I mean, I think they had a lot more turnovers than Duke had, and I think they had a lot more turnovers than ole Mis had, which you know is not ideal, but I think it's just a product of you know, their their current situation. I mean, for Louisville to to to succeed with Pat Kelsey's system and philosophy, yeah, you'll live with some turnovers, but like you would hope that the opponent is going to not be as comfortable in that style, but therefore they're going to turn it over a lot more than you, and that just hasn't happened in recent games. Now you've probably got guys handling the ball more so than they are used to, just because again the lack of options you have when it comes when it comes to depth. So currently, let me just double check here real quick on the let's go to draft Kings. I was looking at FanDuel earlier. I think it was like fourteen and a half, and I imagine it's probably somewhere similar to there.
Speaker 1: On DraftKings. Here, yeah, Louisville tonight they are favored by where is it? Where is it? Well, here we go.
Speaker 5: Louisville favored by fourteen and a half on both FanDuel and DraftKings. So Ken Palm projects this, as I believe right at about fourteen. In fact, I think it might be exactly fourteen points. As far as what the projected score is tonight, thirteen sixty five to seventy eight is the projected score according to Ken all right, it's Coffee and Company. We are feel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety BABO two five seventy nine hundred is the number if you want to give us a call, And if you want to text in BABO two six five three zero seven ninety, that is the L and N Federal Credit Union text line. So again, five seven one seventy nine hundred. If you want to give us a call, text line is FIBO two six five three zero seven ninety. This text says, Nick, what could you see tonight that'll make you feel better about the Kentucky game on on Saturday?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: Well, of course a win and I don't want to give you a I mean, that's a good question, it's a fair question, and I feel like I'm buying some time here as I give you somewhat of a cop out answer. But you know, they could play poorly tonight and barely get by, and that doesn't mean that they won't be able to maybe put together a decent or a good game against Kentucky and make a lot of shots. So because Louisville, I mean, and everybody's dependent upon being able to make shots, right, I mean, I mean, if you're a really, really good defensively and that's really just your calling card is you don't even get you'd be fine if you win the game ten to eight, then maybe making shots is not as important. But even though Louisville has had to change some things a little bit, Pat Kelsey's had to probably make some adjustments he doesn't want to make, but it's just what he has.
Speaker 1: To do given the injuries that they have.
Speaker 5: You know, you're still gonna be able to for Louisville to beat really, I don't want to say anybody, but for Louisville to beat good teams like the team they play on Saturday at Reparena, Kentucky. There's really not a scenario that I can see where they end up winning or even really giving themselves a chance to win late if they're not shooting the ball decently to good from three. And obviously they got off to an eight, and they made eight of their first eleven threes against Duke, and that was a big factor. So I could tell you that, yeah, man, if they really continue to shoot it really if they shoot it really well tonight, and let's say they make seven of their first ten threes, just like you know, similar to what they did against Duke, that would be awesome.
Speaker 1: I guess that would be encouraging.
Speaker 5: But like I would know that that doesn't mean you're gonna be able to do it on Saturday when you go to Rupp Arena to play your first true road game in an atmosphere that's going to be probably pretty pretty rowdy. I mean, that is one thing that his kind of you know, I don't want to act like Louisville can't go in there and compete. I mean I hope that they do, and I hope that they can, you know, maybe find a way to win. If you can go play with Duke, for thirty minutes competitively, maybe you can find a way to get yourself late in that game with a chance to win it. I mean, you are going to be at their place. You weren't at Duke, you were at the whenever you played them the other night, and you know you didn't end up winning. You lost by eleven points. So you know, here's what here here, here, I'm scrambling to try to give you an answer that's not such a cop out. Here's my answer, and I'll read the question once again. What could you see tonight that'll make you feel better about the Kentucky game? More reps for Kahani Russ if Rus is getting more minutes than he got the other night because he played the minutes of everybody, and I just don't think that that's I mean that it wasn't as if he played five minutes and everybody else played twenty five or more. But I just don't know. And I'm not even saying you got to start him. You can bring him and Edwards off the bench, and I have no issue with it. But I think there really is no reason why Russ is not up there with everybody else as far as minutes played. Because I think one, he's got some ability, Like I just don't know what the downside is if you're Pat Kelsey at this point, and he may be able to give me an answer, and I just don't know it because I'm not in practice, and clearly I don't know as much about basketball as he does, but I just don't really know what the The clear benefit in doing it is that he'll get better and better and he's got a lot of talent, and you're going to be able to really get him some seasoning to where he's not maybe looking or playing or looking you know in any way, maybe you don't even think about him being a freshman when you get to late January if he's getting a lot of minutes now. So I thought he took advantage of the minutes that he got against Duke, and I saw some signs of what he can bring to the table. And it wasn't just in that game, but you know, he had a pretty solid night against Duke, and I feel like, you know, he is somebody that is not going to completely make you realize that you don't have Cason Pryor, but I feel like he could fill that void maybe even you know, substantially if you know, if he gets more reps. Like, I'm trying to think of things that Cason is really really good at that we know Prior can't do. I mean, let's be honest. I mean, I'm sorry, things that Cason can do that we know Rus can't do. I mean, I think Russ is a better three point shooter, to be honest with you, I mean, certainly is as far as percentages, He's not maybe as long, but I think he's a really good athlete. I don't think he's good as good as a ball handlers as Prior, and he's probably I mean, he's not as good of a rim protector, but I think he's got some energy, he's got some versatility. So if he has a double double to night and has the best game of his young career, I mean, I'm not gonna sit here and tell you that that means I'm gonna predict Louisville beats Kentucky on Saturday. But I just feel like if Louisville's going to be a team that can find themselves on the bubble with a potential chance to sneak into the tournament later on this year, I just have a hard time seeing that result not be due to him getting more run and being a bigger piece to what you're doing. So that would be my answer, and I hope it, you know, I hope it's not as much of a cop out as I intend as far as it sounded initially. Or back to the text line Bobo two six five three zero seven ninety again, it's the Llenn Federal Credit Union text line. Members get more at Ellen and Federal Credit Union. You can learn more and open your account today at lnfcu dot com. This text says, Nick, why would Shuck not play in the bowl game? He's not going to be an early draft pick. What's the risk he could get hurt and nobody would claim that he didn't get drafted because of the injury. These guys always opt out of bowl games as if they're going to be drafted on the first day, and that's not realistic for most of them, including Shuck. So I mean, I've got a couple examples for you. So you're right about Shuck in the NFL draft. He's not somebody that is you know, is going to be drafted early. I mean, he may not get drafted at all. I think he's got a chance to maybe be a late draft pick, or maybe you know, get an opportunity in somebody's training camp to potentially make a roster, make a practice squad something like that. I mean, if Jack Plumber can be a practice squad guy for the Panthers, I think Tyler Shuck would certainly be a practice squad guy, maybe even you know, a backup for somebody. I mean, I think he's got a lot of ability, and he showed that at Louisville this year, more than he did at any of his other stops at Texas Tech or at Oregon. So I can't speak for Tyler Shuck because I you know, I have no clue what his mindset is. But and for those just now joining us, he did put out a statement today on Twitter similar to what we saw from Jacorey Brooks yesterday. In fact, i'll read early quickly here for you. It says football has taken me on an incredible journey from Chandler Arizona, to Oregon, to Texas Tech, and finally here in Louisville. I'm thankful to each program for giving me the opportunity to grow as a player and a person, shaping who I am both on and off the field. I've learned so much about the resilience during this journey and the growth I've experienced along the way as a true reflection of the incredible support system I've had around me. I'm especially grateful to the Louisville community for embracing me this year, and to coach Jeff Brohm and coach Brian Brohm for their guidance and belief in me. I also want to thank the athletic Trainers, strengthening, conditioning staff, and equipment team for their tireless work and support. To my teammates, friends and family, thank you for always having my back and making all of this worth it. To my wife Jordan, thank you for being my rock, supporting me, and making countless sacrifices along the way. After much thought, I've decided to not participate in the Sun Bowl and declare for the twenty twenty five NFL Draft. I'm excited for what lies ahead, and I'm beyond thankful for everyone who has been a part of my journey. So that was his statement earlier today. I did not in any way expect him to play in the bowl game. But to answer your question, what's the risk, it's really about risk reward. If he plays really well on the Sun Bowl against what Washington, is that going to change anything about his draft stock?
Speaker 1: I would say no.
Speaker 5: In fact, because of what these bowl games have become, you'd likely have people claiming that, you know, he's only he's only getting this kind of love be or he put up those numbers because it was Washington's second string. Like, I just think because of what the bowl games have become, if NFL teams are looking at you, they're gonna analyze every little thing. They're gonna know everything about you. But if there's one film that they may not put a whole lot of emphasis in, it might be the bowl game whenever, you know, it just doesn't really seem like a real game. So you know, what's he really have to gain? And some would say, well, going and playing for his team. Yeah, but he also could get hurt, and yes, getting hurt wouldn't be the reason that he's not drafted in the first few rounds. But if you're not healthy when you've got the opportunity coming out of college to go show NFL teams what you can do, I mean you you'll never get that opportunity again if you get hurt and you can't go through the combine or just workouts that kind of stuff. You know, the next time around, you're just your you're damaged goods. So I just think it's just that the risk is not worth the reward. And because of who he is, I think he's somebody that is probably viewed in a He's probably in a big pool of quarterbacks that the NFL has some interest in, but they really don't know exactly how it'll translate. They want to see some So if he can't show what he can do among all those other quarterbacks that are probably in that same level, like that could make it to where he never gets an opportunity. Now, he may never play a snap in the NFL and and may have nothing to do with anybody getting hurt, but like or he could get hurt and not have the chance to show what he can do and then always wonder, Okay, man, if I was healthy whenever the combine happened, maybe that would have changed my life. So I'll give you an example. Cole Hikatini, I'm sure you guys remember him was a really really good tight end for Louisville. Was a Juco guy. I believe he was the tight end for the twenty sixteenth team that obviously Lamar Jackson won the Heisman and one of his top targets was Colelagattini. And Cole ended up getting hurt in that bowl game against LSU, and he was one of the best tight ends in the country statistically and was somebody on the radar of the NFL. Well, he got hurt in that bowl game, never got to work out. So what happened, he didn't get drafted. He ends up you know, getting healthy later science as an undrafted free agent and you know, ended up going right on the injured reserve list. So if he didn't get hurt in the bowl game, would he have been drafted, Would he have been a guy that's still playing in the NFL today? Probably not, But there's no doubt in my mind that his best chance to really find himself in a position to be drafted would have been to be healthy at that time. And whenever the NFL is looking at you and they know, hey, let's go check this guy out. Like it's such a competitive thing to get a spot in professional sports in the NFL and BA in Major League Baseball, and if you are you know your your your timeline is is altered because of an injury, Like it's there's no scenario that it's going to benefit you.
Speaker 1: It's going to hurt you.
Speaker 5: So you know, for those saying, well, hey, same thing could have happened against Kentucky, why would he play in that game, Well, it's different, Like that's a I mean, that's that's you're not You're They're not going to view the Bowl game substantially different one way or the other. So like him getting hurt against Kentucky, it still would have led to the same thing, right, him probably not being healthy.
Speaker 1: But like that's it's just different. It's a real game.
Speaker 5: So I don't you know, it's it's weird, right, It's it's it's these games have for years now kind of felt like, you know, what are we doing here? Are these really worth worth having? And they are because they make a lot of money. As long as they keep putting these things on TV and millions of people keep watching, they're gonna they're still gonna be Bowl games even if third string players getting all the reps. But you know, I get why players decide not to to go out there and and you know, spend another month practicing and that's another part of it. The timeline here, like if this was a game this week, then maybe he play. But you know, you're talking about the end of the end of December, and you know you'd still be around and practicing, knowing that it's only for one game that really won't change a lot for you. Or you can just go ahead and shut it down. At the college level, find your agent, get you know, get in, you know, start training right away for the NFL Combine, hoping the course that you get an invite.
Speaker 1: So, I mean, I understand why.
Speaker 5: It just feels like there's still people that feel like these guys are quitters and they should always play if there's a game, and I get it, but I also get it from their perspective as well. All right, quick break on the other side or a quick break, we'll come back on the other side and keep this thing rolling along. We'll get back to the text line.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if you guys have seen this.
Speaker 5: I feel like this story is not getting as much attention as it typically would because of what happened earlier this week where they identified the alleged healthcare CEO killer. But there's this guy from Wisconsin who abandoned his family, faked his death, fled the you know, fled the country to go to some other random country, and he's now back in custody. And I feel like as we round out the twenty twenty four calendar year, this guy absolutely is in strong contention for the a whole of the year. Like what a scumbag and what he did and what he put his family through, like is one of the worst things I've ever I've ever seen. And if you guys haven't heard the story, it's it's it's wild and we'll talk about it on the other side, along with a lot of other things.
Speaker 1: We'll keep this thing rolling along. It's coffee and Company.
Speaker 5: We are feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven nine.
Speaker 4: Now back to coffee and Companye my thorntins on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 1: I could be totally wrong here, but I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't feel like it used to be just to give in that every weekday Louisville and Kentucky and basketball were always going to play on the same night. I mean, there's you know, there's really, I guess, really two days that have a lot of regular regular season college basketball games and it's usually Tuesday and Wednesday. Monday is kind of rare, but you times can get the big Monday game for the ACC. Thursday is really rare. Thursday is usually a big night for women's college basketball or the smaller mid major programs. Friday is is kind of rare. Sunday happens a little later in the season. But I feel like for the last two or three years, every every weeknight, these two teams end up playing on the same night for the most part. So I didn't even realize it until just a moment ago. Kentucky plays Colgate tonight, and man, I didn't know that Colegate was so bad this year. And trust me, that's not a mean but Kentucky's having a.
Speaker 1: Hell of a year.
Speaker 5: Colgate could be the Colgate that usually is good, that wins the Patriot League regularly, and they would still probably cruise. But I mean, I'm somebody that knows this stuff because it's just useless information that I obtain when I'm trying to figure out if I'm trying to figure out who I want to bet on in college basketball, I do a lot of future bets when it comes to conference champions and I feel like Colgate was once again looked like the team that should be winning the Patriot League. I think they brought back like their whole team, and they were kind of good last year. Yeah, twenty five and ten last year overall sixteen and two in league play. And maybe they've got an injury. I don't know what's going on, but they're terrible this year. There's two and eight on the season, So I would imagine if if Mark Pope wants to make sure that his guys are more healthy for the rivalry game on Saturday, he'll be able to do that by holding out Well, Kirk Chris is out for a while, and Lamont Butler didn't play against Gonzaga I don't believe, so they probably won't need him to night. Maybe this is the night that the Travis Perry gets a lot of run for Kentucky. I mean, they could probably play anybody on their on their roster, I mean even walk On's and probably not not not have much trouble tonight. But yeah, they play at seven o'clock and the ken Prom projected score here is ninety to sixty two, which wouldn't be shocked if it's even.
Speaker 1: Worse than that.
Speaker 5: All Right, real quick before we get to the top of the hour here. I don't know if this is something that that you. I mean, people who fake their death.
Speaker 1: One are.
Speaker 5: Awful people for the most part. Like if you have people who love you and care about you when you fake your death, like I can't I can't imagine there's any kind of of an of an excuse that would make it not make you an a hole. And this guy, I mean, he had an elaborate plan, but it backfired on him, so I will retract. I did say that this guy, as we are rounding out the twenty twenty four year, he's got a good resume here to potentially be the jerk of the year, but he didn't actually physically harm anybody, and there's a lot of people who did that, so.
Speaker 1: Maybe he could be in line for.
Speaker 5: The biggest jerk of the year that didn't actually cause any physical harm to anybody, because I mean, the I mean, it's just this one of those things that like doesn't seem real, but it is. So this guy in Wisconsin, he faked his own drowning, left his wife and three children, and they all just assumed that he had died, And that is not at all what had happened. What he did is he met a woman online and she's from Uzbekistan, and apparently he had an online relationship with this woman. Nobody knew anything about it, and this was his elaborate plan to run off and start a new life with her in Huzbekistan as he was going to stage his own death and that he and that he drowned. I'm reading here from Beloit Daily News up in Wisconsin. It says here that he returned. Yeah, he's He was believed to have been in Eastern Europe for a while now, but willingly returned to the United States after roughly four months and he is now in custody. So Ryan Borgward is his name. But he came back on his own terms because of his family. That's according to Green Lake County Sheriff Mark Putol. It says that we can stand here feeling relieved. That's what the sheriff told the local media there. But he landed on Tuesday and was being held at the county jail penning an afternoon court appearance. The sheriff said his office has recommended a number of charges, including obstruction. So he did end up confessing before he came back, but that he faked his death because of personnel personal matters.
Speaker 1: He told the sheriffs.
Speaker 5: Once they figured out that he did not in fact die and they knew where he was, they were able to investigate, they begged him to. You know, they made national news like, hey, we know you're not dead, we know where you are. Please call your family. They're relieved to know you're alive, but they miss you. I mean, I'm pretty sure that's what their message was in general. But he told he told the police once he did touch base with him. I guess when he was in Uzbekistan that in mid August, he traveled about fifty miles from his home and he went to a lake there was about fifty miles away where he overturned his kayak, dumped his phone, and then paddled an inflatable boat to shore, he said. He then, he said he picked that lake because it was the deepest in Wisconsin. After leaving the lake, he rode an electric bike seventy miles through the night to Madison, Wisconsin. From there, he said, he took a bus to Detroit, then boarded a bus to Canada and got on a plane. So apparently they did analysis of a laptop and it wasn't clear whose it was, but they it revealed a digital trail that shows he had planned a head to Europe and tried to mislead investigators. The laptop hard drive had been replaced and browsers had been cleared whenever he disappeared. Investigators down passport photos, inquiries about moving funds to foreign banks, and communication with this woman that he met from Muzekistan. They also discovered he also took out a three hundred and seventy five thousand dollars life insurance policy last January.
Speaker 1: So I mean, if you just want to.
Speaker 5: Get a divorce and move to Hisbekistan, like do that, Like, don't put your wife and gosh, your three children through. I mean two layers of just absolute grief that I hope to you know, nobody ever experiences.
Speaker 1: One.
Speaker 5: They thought you were dead, which that alone is traumatizing that dad's dead and he drowned. But also when they realize you're alive, then they have And I don't know how old his kids are doesn't say here, but maybe they're old enough to realize he just wanted us to think he was dead because he wanted to get away from us, and never see us again. Like what a jerk putting your your family through that, Like, just get a divorce, dude, Like it's you know, probably not and it's not ideal, but like it happens pretty often, unfortunately, and that's the right way to go about it, rather than what this jerk did.
Speaker 1: I mean, what a I mean, what a clown.
Speaker 5: I don't know if he'll end up actually doing any kind of real time here because I don't think I think the charges of and maybe he does do a little bit of time, but trust me, he won't be that long. And there'll be a Netflix documentary about this guy at some point. I'm sure there will be. All Right, quick break, we will come back on the other side to get the four o'clock hours started. We've got two hours to go. It is a gloomy, cold Wednesday edition of Coffee and Company, and hopefully he'll stick with us for these next two hours right here on Sports Talks.