Speaker 1: All right, it's Monday in the Tri State. All hell is breaking loose. The average American is in for the great American who is still in parts unknown. Let's look at what's transpiring. First, we got opening day on Thursday, and we've got a lot of Reds players already on the injured list. I don't know how that's going to play out as this season begins in earnest on Thursday. And then, of course we have what has transpired over the weekend. Xavier apparently now looking for a new basketball coach again because Sean Miller apparently is leaving Xavier again. And at Washington's ec the hilarity never ends. It really doesn't. Trump's in the courts try to get his deportations reinvigorated, despite the fact that a judge out there decided last week, now you did this thing too fast. Now told you to turn the plane around, even though the judge didn't even know how much fuel was left in the plane. Could have ordered that thing turned around and they might not have had enough gasoline to make it back to mainland. Nevertheless, that judge now is given away to a three judge appeals panel that will ultimately decide something I think that winds up with the Supreme Court. I think it winds up with the Supreme Court. Meanwhile, the Dems are in disarray. Andy Basheer is vetoing bills left and right down in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, and tariffs are on the horizon, which may affect you, me and everybody else that's walking around. So when all hell breaks out, we want to bring somebody in that knows how to pick up the pieces and put them all together again. One of the finest political minds of our times, someone who was out in the Great Plains, someone who sees both the Left Coast and the East Coast and what happens here in the heartland of America, right out there in the wheat fields of Kansas. He's our good buddy, Dan Snell, And Dan, how are you on this glorious Monday.
Speaker 2: Well, fantastic ken brew to be with you. You know, listening your introduction is better than Tony Robbins or zig Ziggler or everybody combined.
Speaker 3: So thank you for those kind words.
Speaker 1: All right, I want to get everything to that I just laid out. I want to get to that with you. But I have a pressing question that I need to ask you that has been bothering me since late last night. Did you watch the Colorado State Maryland game last night?
Speaker 2: I did not watch it, but you gotta love that America loves the Cinderella story. I did not watch it.
Speaker 1: Though, three point six seconds to go, Colorado State has just taken the lead by one. Here comes Maryland after a time out. The ball is in Derek Queen's hands. He drives to the bucket, lays it up, and in Maryland wins. I don't know how anybody could have seen that video and not known that Derek Queen took three steps. He took three steps, don How is that not traveling? Is that not? I mean, we now, why don't we just have people just walk from half court to the basket? How is that not traveling?
Speaker 2: I know you have always loved and called for more traveling calls in the basketball court. Well, you're going to have to go back upon further review and check that out, and let you know. I can't believe I didn't see that or hear about it.
Speaker 1: Dan is one of the finest basketball officials in America, and I'm just telling you, if that wasn't traveling last night, then I have no idea what traveling is. But nevertheless, the mainstream media is not talking about it. Social media is just a blaze with this topic. I'm sure there's some explanation, but as someone who has studied the game of basketball attempted to play it, I don't know how that wasn't traveling. But nevertheless, it stands in Maryland is moving on?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 1: All right, let's get to this. Trump's in the courts. He's trying to get his deportation thing out of the courts. He wants trend to dale rogwip culprits out of this country. I think most people do, most sound people think that these are not good people. Anybody that's committed a crime, either in this country or abroad and is here in this country illegally has to go. But I think Trump is missing a chance here. I think his administration's missing a chance here.
Speaker 2: Dan.
Speaker 1: If you'll recall Post nine to eleven, the Supremes ruled and they said terrorists, regardless of where they are and what they've done, they are subject to the American court system. So the Supremes have already ruled on this. I don't think Trump wins this thing. In court. Why would he not go to the legislative route. He's got the House, he's got the Senate. You could pass a bill that would tighten up all of this stuff and make Tom Holman's job a lot easier. Why is he going to court route as opposed to the legislation route.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that's his go to style, is to take everything to court or threaten the sue or sue someone, and then that's becoming verse. Unfortunately, it seems like more challenges have come to Trump's Anything he does gets challenge. If he if he has a McDonald's cheeseburger, somebody's going to challenge him in court, it seems these days. And we do need judicial review, and we do need a process that we take a look at. How can a judge at some small, you know, district or some small geographic area have a ruling that impacts the President of the United States, the most powerful man in the world. I understand due process, but in this case, I think everyone in America understands the what and the why of what Donald Trump was trying to do to send these bad ombres as he would call them bad ombres out of the country. And you know, It's just that's the tough thing is that President Trump's doing so many good things. But you know when you call somebody a lunatic, it stirs people up, especially a judge, And then you get a Spring Court Justice Robert saying, hey, we're not all luned yet, so stop talking about impeaching people.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think Robert should have kept his mouth shut. I think, you know, if this case ever gets in front of him, then you've got serious questions about his ability to rule in an impartial manner. I just think in things like this, Roberts need and any of those guys and women that sit on the Supreme Courts just need to shut up about this stuff. But nevertheless, you're right, this Boseburg character doesn't like Trump, has had illegal history with him, appears to be overstepping his grounds. I said last week when I was on this radio station. You know, they're about six hundred and seventy five of these guys walking around in these black robes at these district coords. If every one of them decided they were going to weigh in on a particular thing that Trump is trying to do or what this country is trying to do domestically, or foreign from a foreign aspect, we'd be paralyzed, nothing would be able to happen. So we've got we've got an issue, And I agree with you where it is a lawsuit, though, has to start somewhere. It's got to start in some court. But I think there's got to be a trigger mechanism so that these lower court judges don't have the power that they have right now, and that it can get to something like it's going to now sooner than later. Look, Washington, Trump is never going to get a favorable ruling out of any court in Washington, DC. The city is ninety two percent Democrat. But my point being is you kind of like take these guys out of where they are, put them back in their lane, and get this where it should go logically, which is quicker to this appeal board and then onto the Supreme Court. I think that's what you're saying as well.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, we should almost have like a minor league or a JV team or something for the Supreme Court. And they're in Washington where there's perhaps a governing or ruling body of judges that they're the only ones. So you don't get you don't get a party at the Democrats in this case, judge hunting, whether you know. Sometimes they go out to California and get a judge that will rule something in California that has to do with the whole nation. So they just go shopping for judges that are of like mind. And it would be better if we had one body almost like the you know, the minor League for the Supreme Court that might help America make decisions on some of these things rather than creating this brew haha that we have right now.
Speaker 1: I'm and to play off that, I'm looking at the Democrats. Since November, the Democrats are in disarray. They have no leader. I think that's the greatest disservice that Joe Biden did to his party, and that, you know, because he was incapable of governing and it was a cabal that ran basically Washington, d C. During his time. It's left the entire Democrat Party leaderless, wide open vacuum. But I would go back as far as the waning day of the Obama administration as the last time the Democrats stood for anything, because after that, the only thing you've heard from them is stop Trump, Orange Man bad, We hate Trump. Trump likes this get Trump, Get Musk. Musk likes Trump, Get Musk and Trump. That's all you hear. Jasmine Crockett AOC. There are a couple of nitwits. They are the loudest voices in that party right now. There's nothing from any kind of creative standpoint, any kind of leadership standpoint, that's coming from that party. So as bad as Trump is getting it in the courts, it's even worse, I think in the mind of the American public for what the Democrats are doing right now. They're at a less than a thirty percent approval rate right now, Dan, and they keep singing the same songs that got them whacked in November. I don't know what's going on with that party, but it looks like it's on life support right now. What about you, Yeah.
Speaker 2: The Democratic Party's lost right now. Don't have a leaders that's standing up and that people are rallying around.
Speaker 4: And you know, you nailed at Obama.
Speaker 2: Actually, one of the reasons he was successful, and prior to him, Bill Clinton, because Bill Clinton was somewhat of a centrist, he kind of moved to the center, and Obama because he was the first, you know, African American president. He kind of moved to the center. And I think the Democrats have lost their way and they have to realize that the American the Ken Bruce, the Dan Snells, and most Americans, seventy percent of America wants to just have the place we call home be made better. And we're in the center and we don't like the far extreme left and the far extreme right. We want somebody to be where most people are. And they have to find someone. I'm not sure, you know, I say with a smile. And I heard you mentioned about Andy Bisheer. I once thought he might be a decent candidate. I don't know, but the Democrats need to find somebody different than attack Trump because just as people are tired so tired of that, you know, and you and I've always talked about Trump needs to pivot himself because the midterms are coming up, and sometimes he gets himself in trouble with his words and behavior and rhetoric, and so it's going to be interesting you and I'll be talking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but what's going to.
Speaker 1: Happen in oh yeah, well, I mean if if, if, if the Republicans don't hold the House. First thing that Democrats are going to do, because this is all they know. They're they're they're just they're they're just blinded by their ideologies. They're going to impeach Trump and that will have that scenario that played out five six years ago. We're going to have it all over again. Or they're going to bring impeachment charges with Trump and then that'll paralyze the House, and then that'll paralyze the Senate. Because that's all they know. They don't they don't have any ideas. You mentioned Andy Basher. Yet at one point I thought Vasher was a moderate. But in the last week, this dude veto to bill that would ban gender affirming care through Medicaid VITA. He vetoed it. He vetoed a bill that would have beann dei in Kentucky public colleges and universities. These are hot button issues all over the country. In a state that Kentucky people say Kentucky's purple, Well, it's purple in the governor's office, but it's basically a red state. I just and by the way, both of those measures are going to get overridden because Kentucky's state legislature is overwhelmingly Republican. But my point is it even seems like a guy like Andy Basheer is falling into this trap. Where are the moderate voices? They're being strangled by Basher and his rulings. They're being strangled by Jasmin Krockett and AOC and Chuck Schumer. There have to be some moderate voices that understand that this country is best governed if it were a football field in between the forty yard lines, not far left and far right. Where are the moderate voices in the Democrat Party?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 2: Exactly, you know, with a smile, I say that perhaps the Democratic Party should just send out all copies of the winsome candidate.
Speaker 1: Guys out here selling his book. Absolutely, it's a group of how old is that book?
Speaker 2: It's now twenty ninety five years old?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 2: When you and I first began this great air connected goodness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're you're about ready for another one. I know you had another one, but you're ready for another one after that. So you need to keep having the right. I'll get you all. I'll get your book sold for you. But the fact of the matter is is I don't see the Democrats being a viable political force if they don't stop dying on these hills that America does not want them on in the first place, and until somebody that can think about that rationally talk to the American people about it and ignore the loud voices on the lunatic left until and half. I don't think that party is going forward very soon. I really don't. I'm not quite certain that Trump's going to get everything he wants, but he may keep the House in twenty twenty six, which keeps him out of impeachment, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we can hope for that. The interesting thing is, I think as a delay tactic, that's why we see all these legal challenges, in these court challenges and these judges challenging everything Trump does, because that just delays the progress when Trump has to fight what he's trying to do with some of his good ideas. You know, he is exceptional at come and throwing out ideas to get people to just think about it. You know, when he first talked about Canada, so many people thought, well.
Speaker 4: That's.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable, but they really think about it and how it would impact them, and how just because we're so used to the world map being exactly as it was. Hey, the Louisiana purchase was once made, people probably thought that was a folly, and so who knows what could happen and in Greenland and Canada. But what happens is when you will challenge him with all these courtroom battles, and it delays, and they're trying to maybe delay till they can get to the midterms.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: But it is like a basketball game, and you got both teams strategizing, but Trump Trump has got the fans are mostly in the stands cheering for Donald Trump. We're gonna see what happens in our months ahead.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, And I guarantee you if you were on the court last night officiating that Colorado State Maryland game, you Dan Snell, who never saw a violation he didn't like, you, would have blown that guy steps traveling Colorado State plays on Maryland's on a bus home. Well that's a topic for another day. I'm sure you look at that and dissect it and everything and make a full reports of the NCAA. But for your time here, Dan, we appreciate it. Stay well. I always say this. We need to hear your voice.
Speaker 4: It's always great to be with you.
Speaker 2: Can you stay wins my friend?
Speaker 1: All right? All right, there he is Dan Snell, author of The Winsome Way, the winsome candidate who doesn't want to be winsome in this day and age, And sure as Avy University is that way too. Maybe Chris Mack is coming back. Maybe they're going to have another another homecoming for Chris Mack. I walked down that path with Sean Miller. Sean Miller saw the first thing that came down the pike that looked better, and Austin Leavista baby. But nevertheless, maybe it's Chris Mack.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It'd be nice to have a Mac attack here again. It is twelve twenty four News Radio seven hundred w WELW thirty six News Radio seven hundred w WELW. Welcome back the average American in for the great American. Sean Never is apparently leaving Xavier again. Xavior fan is mad. I'm sorry, who didn't see this coming? Miller did it once before, do it once? Chances are you'll do it again. Ask any jilted wife. Xavier through Miller a lifeline three years ago. Remember Miller was radioactive. You know the story one of his assistant coaches where Miller had landed after leaving Xavier. That was the first time he left Xavier anyway. One of his assistant coaches got collared in a play for pay scandal, another in an academic scandal, and then the University of Arizona, where he had landed, finally canned Miller. Xavier took him back. Cheated on spouses. Always think it'll be better with a little counseling. You know, a Xavier fan feels like a cheated spouse today. He should not. It's not Miller, it's college athletics. Don't hate the player, hate the game. Miller is taking the money and running. You would have too. You've never taken a job because it paid more money, or the new company you're running to would make it easier for you to do your job. You're either stupid or lying. It's done every day. College Athletics is just catching up. Miller is going to make more money at Texas, but it's the money his players there will make that's the issue. The last stats we got about Xavier's name, image, and likeness and what they haul in came to about one million dollars one million total, about one hundred and fifty Xavier athletes split the pot. Those numbers were from two years ago in Austin, Texas, Longhorn players split about fifteen and a half mil same time two years ago, two schools, fourteen and a half million dollar difference. In today's NCAA, money buys players, players win championships. That's why Xavier is looking for a new head coach. Coaches are motivated by two things and two things only, championship, opportunity and money. Sean Miller is like any other coach. He got it better in Texas on both fronts. And don't scream about loyalty. I heard all about loyalty this morning. Don't scream about loyalty everywhere. Loyalty is dying, layoffs, twenty year company guy fired, customer service indifference. There's a reason why the big boss man really leaves the c suite these days. It doesn't matter what team Reds, Bengals, uc ZAB, doesn't matter what player. You will always care more about them than they will care about you. Teams and players may be your passion, but to them it's just a job.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: The American Psychological Association says up to forty percent of marriages and because of infidelity, fifty percent of all marriages and period in divorce, No increases to sixty percent in second marriages. The numbers don't lie. Xavier should have seen it coming. Don't hate the player, hate the game. But what is Sean Miller allegedly running zoo? And how good is it? Standing by is one of the top experts on NIL name image and likeness and why it now runs college athletics more so than any coach and any athletic director, and a large reason why you see coaches jumping here there and players everywhere. He's our good buddy from the app my NIL pay Brett Chapman, how are you on this glorious day? Ken?
Speaker 3: It is so great to be back.
Speaker 5: And that was an incredible introduction about NIL.
Speaker 3: I love hearing it.
Speaker 1: It's true though, that's what's going on. The transfer portal opens to if your coach has left, you're trying, or your coach has been fired, you're trying to scramble and get somebody to replace him because teams need to be rebuilt. Players now have this ability to move from team to team. But how much better will it be for Sean Miller?
Speaker 5: Who?
Speaker 1: And again these there are numbers from two years ago, so I don't know what twenty twenty four numbers are but by and large, Xavier's collective made about a million dollars. That's not a lot of money for a lot of athletes. What is it like now in Texas?
Speaker 5: Well, I can tell you my information is probably close to that eight old is that the starting lineup of Texas for basketball is about two million dollars.
Speaker 3: So wow.
Speaker 5: But here's the funny part, right, didn't Javier just beat Texas eighty six to eighty Yeah.
Speaker 3: Their entigher nil pot is less.
Speaker 5: Than what the starting lineup was making and they beat them. Yeah, yeah, So I mean where it's going Ken is unfortunately is you said it right? It's being very financial focused, right, and a team like Texas they of course and I say of course, but you know, they're one of the larger universities in the country. They have a huge, wealthy alumni network, you know, fortune, five hundred CIOs, oil, gas tech, millions of dollars flowing into their collective and into the Obviously football and basketball are their big programs, so they have millions of dollars. In Xavier, although a strong regional basketball school, basketball focused to a no football program.
Speaker 3: To compete with, they just can't compete against a school like that.
Speaker 5: And that's not just for players, unfortunately, that's also for coaches. What we're seeing with the cheating husband Scott.
Speaker 1: Miller, you know, And all you have to do really is look at this year's NCAA tournament. Nil is catching up. It is you know, the days of the quaint stories of you know that fourteen seed. You always know that fourteen seed is going to beat that what would it be? The three seed. It's always going to happen, Just wait for it. It's not. There's a reason why I think seven maybe seven SEC schools are in the NCAA Sweet sixteen. There's a reason why all four number one seeds are still there, all four number two's, all four number threes, all four number they're all still there. And why are they there Because they've got money and money buys players. And you know the days of the mid majors or the days of that second tier school and the Big ten or the SEC or the AC seed, they are gone. It's sailed. And you know, people that want to go back to where it was, it's never going back there to that place.
Speaker 6: Is.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 5: And I think another important part isn't just the money they get paid, you know, from the school which is coming isn't there yet, or the collective. It's also the marketing and branding. So think of it this way, Right, you go to Texas, you have more access than national media, major TV games, endorsement potential, you're a big name, right, you can you can shinner rate your you can increase your personal brand.
Speaker 3: Right. So that that has also a really big part of it.
Speaker 5: And I'll say, having been in the space, that is where a lot of the where a lot of the business sits is in the marketing aspect and the branding aspect of it. There's a million of those guys out there trying to convince these kids that they can brand themselves and they can market themselves.
Speaker 3: And if you're if they're.
Speaker 5: Talking to one of these guys and say, hey, I've got a good opportunity at Texas or Xavier, what do you think the guy's going to say. He's going to say, go to Texas. And that's part of the problem, right, is that not just the money, but you've also got all the influence of branding and the social media aspects. They're encouraging the kids to go where they can get more exposure sure.
Speaker 1: And because let's again be real, the NBA for most of the players that you're watching here during this field of sixty eight is not a realistic goal. It's like anything else, only the best go to the best. There's a finite number of teams. So in essence, college basketball for most of these players is their NBA. Make the money, earn the brand, make money off the brand for as long as you can. And that's what's going on here. And look, I watch coaches in this town come and go, they leave at the drop of the hat. I don't get upset when a player decides, you know what, I can get it better somewhere else. You know what that does? That just puts more pressure on the coach who's always had the ability to come and go at his pleasure. So I don't I have no sympathy for these coaches, nor do I have any sympathy for these universities that can't afford to keep a coach. You want to play the game, pony up the money, and it's a it's a it's a it's a war of attrition. A lot of these basketball only schools, like Xavier, like Georgetown, they're going to find it increasingly difficult to generate the kind of nil money that major state schools like Texas can generate. And it's just going to be the way of the world. You'll learn either to lower your expectations or hope that somehow, some way, once every fifteen or twenty years, you're going to sneak in and win something. But that that's the direction all of this is going, is it not?
Speaker 3: It is? And I think that there's a very important thing.
Speaker 5: I think we talked about this the last time I was on, which is the House versus ncaa settlement right that would allow the schools to pay twenty two million dollars a year to athletes. Now, keeping mind today so that everyone understands, the collectives are funded by donors.
Speaker 3: So yeah, if you're a.
Speaker 5: Smaller school, you probably don't have the same amount of wealthy donors as a larger school ass But the universities here in the future will be able to pay out of their endowments for athletics.
Speaker 3: So it actually gets shifted back.
Speaker 5: Right now, Xavier can kind of be like, well, you know we're not out of that. Well, we have nothing to do with it, right, that's on our donors, right, well, in a year or so, it's going to be on that like, hey, why didn't you take twenty million dollars out of your endowment and pump it towards sports. You can point the finger back at then, But here's what I would say. I would say, Look, dude, if I was a university like Xavier, I would take my twenty million dollars. I would buy the best basketball team money can buy for twenty million dollars, and I would win the national championship because I'm pretty sure you can go a long way with twenty million dollars with some young kids. You win the championship, and then guess what, you rebuilt the credibility, and now you've got the brand, and now everyone wants to play there because you're a final fourteen.
Speaker 3: You can do that with twenty million dollars.
Speaker 5: But guess what, I'm pretty sure the academics that run any university, especially.
Speaker 3: Xavier, probably aren't that focused on sports to spend that money on winning a championship.
Speaker 1: No, I know that, but it's interesting. Interesting you mentioned that I went to Ohio University, which is a smaller state school here in Ohio, great academically in several fields, other fields, it could stand some improvement. But they had a school president back in the early part of the two thousands. His name was doctor Roderick McDavid, and he figured out quickly that the front porch to any university is athletics, and that you could have the greatest school of chemistry, or you could have the greatest school of osteopathic medicine, or you could have the greatest school of journalism. That's all well and good. There's a lot of those out there, But if no one knows about it, then what is it? But if you have a good football team and he built one with a legendary coach, and you have a basketball team that can win games on the national stage, and he had one that did the you know, one of the Sweet sixteen a few years ago, and that had never happened there in decades, you'll get eyeballs, and who knows, there could be some kid or his parents sitting there watching that game. What is Ohio?
Speaker 3: You know? What is that?
Speaker 1: Where is that? It's where?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 3: What is it known?
Speaker 1: And if you just get ten students that you had no shot at getting to come there and go to your school and pay tuition and then do something dynamic with that education. After they're there, you can't buy anything better. But to get there, you've got to have a calling card. And he realized it was athletics. And that's not a bad idea. I don't I don't run I don't purport to run any any university, nor do I want to. But what gets you your most eyeballs and what gets you your most bang for the buck in an where you can actually go out and buy it, not recruited and hope. It's college athletics. It's the way of the world, Brent.
Speaker 3: That is correct, and it's not.
Speaker 5: And the thing that you said in the open, which I thought was very silly, is it ain't changing, right, It's only.
Speaker 3: Going to get worse, and it's only going to be more focused on money. And but there is an opportunity there.
Speaker 5: It's all about what is the school motive and goals and what do they want to get out of it. But I agree with you with your example, and you can use sports to a gain awareness for university. I grew up in the mid nineties in the Detroit area and I know all about Xavier basketball. They had some really good teams when I was growing up they really did, and that's how I know I wouldn't know Xavier otherwise. I know Xavier because they had good basketball teams and I had them.
Speaker 3: In my bracket when I was in high school.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so yeah, it's kind of You're writing creates a lot of awareness around around the school.
Speaker 1: Brent Chapmans, our guest. My nil pay is his app where you can literally sit on your couch and watch an athletic event, and if you see an athlete, any athlete, any d one school, anywhere, and you say, well, WHOA that was good or maybe a Jeralma monor hey that was great, score a touchdown, We're up. You have the ability, then, through his app, to make a payment to that player. The player has the option whether or not to accept it, but you have a chance to become active in this hole nil Okay, Brent, what do we tell Xavier fans today besides either pay up and get in the game or suck it up and just understand that it's never going to be the way you want it to be. What do you tell Xavier fans at this point?
Speaker 3: You know, I definitely am not a defeat this person. I'm a half a glass, half hole guy.
Speaker 5: So I would say, anticipate the way you can, right if it's twenty dollars to your collective or going on my nil pay and shooting the guy twenty bucks thirty bucks. Participate in the way that you can to support the kids. And let the university know too how you feel, because very quickly they're going to have the opportunity to do something.
Speaker 3: About it directly. They don't right now.
Speaker 5: But they will be able to within the next year or two. So I think that's important for Xavier fans. I've got a question for you, Ken though, before I take off, which is, how does your bracket look?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: You had to go there? Huh you had to go there? Well, look, I still have a shot. I still have a shot. I got duke winning, I have duke winning at all. So I'm still there. I'm still there. But I got buzzed by some overreach. I bought into the Akron you know narrative. Akron a hell of a year here. I bought into that narrative, and I thought, okay, well, obviously that didn't work out. I didn't get sucked into the North Carolina narrative. I knew that wasn't going to happen, and I had Marquette and I probably got you know, yeah, I think that ruined a lot of people's brackets. But I got, I got Duke. I got Duke. They're still alive. I don't know if they get past Arizona here in the next round, and if they do, I'm I'm not sure what happens after that. But I got Duke in the next round, so we'll see. I don't know how's yours.
Speaker 3: I got an outside shot I got.
Speaker 5: I got Duke in Florida plus Michigan in Kentucky, so Michigan and Kentucky make it to the final fart.
Speaker 3: I might actually have a shot to win it. But I will tell you the funny part.
Speaker 5: We're in one of these bracket challenges, you know, with like two three hundred people, and my wife is currently in second place.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I can't remember the last watched the college Best.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry for you.
Speaker 3: So I just love this. I love this part about this year.
Speaker 5: You can literally know nothing about college basketball and be the second bracket.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she has Michigan State winning at.
Speaker 1: All, So we'll see. Oh, oh well they get they get Old Miss next, and then they may they'll probably well, they will get the Michigan A and M winner. I I'm not sorry, No, they get Yeah, they get old miss next and then they'll get right the Michigan Auburn winner. So yeah, that I don't it a shot? Yeah's a shot, all right, Brent, you stay well. Thanks for the insight. We appreciate it. Yeah, take care, Ken, I have a good one man, Yes, Sir Brent Chapman. Anybody who didn't see this coming Xavier simply wasn't paying attention to twelve fifty four. Got a lot coming up on the show today. Coming up at one oh six, I'm going to talk to the man who shot Osama Bin Laden part of that Sealed Team six shot Osama bin Lauden. Coming up at one o six, two o six. Marriage and stress and how one couple figured it out despite the fact that the stress in their marriage is probably non paralleled. On seven hundred WTLW all right, seven hundred WLWT welcome back. It is one o seven here in the Greater Cincinnati area, counting down to a number of things this week, not the least of which Opening Day Thursday at Great American Ballpark. Weather is improving, and that's the way we like it. It's amazing to think back, but it will be in twenty twenty six, twenty five years since the greatest attack on this country when a band of thugs, a very small band of thugs, pulled off what we now referred to as nine to eleven and close to three thousand people lost their lives on that day, nine eleven, two thousand and one. It took almost ten years to hunt down and bring to justice the man who was the mastermind behind the nine to eleven attacks, and that of course, was Osama bin Laden. And it took the most elite fighting force that's out there, the most specially trained fighting force that is out there, to bring Osama bin Laden to his death and to his justice. And it is an honor to welcome into seven hundred wylw the man who was Senior Chief Special Warfare Operator, a Navy Sealed Team six leader. Highly decorated. He was with Sealed Team two, Sealed Team four, and eight years with the legendary Sealed Team six. It is an honor to welcome in Rob O'Neill. Rob, how are you on this glorious day?
Speaker 6: Good afternoon, Thanks for having me. I'm having a great day. It's a Monday, but it's a good one.
Speaker 1: Okay, Oh no, fine, great, Yeah. The first question is an innocuous one. Have you ever been to Cincinnati?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Of course.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's the best chili in the world. And here's here's a little story for you too. Two guys that went on the bin lottenrad with me were from Cincinnati. Before the bin Lotten Raid, we were in Iraq with no TV, no air conditioning.
Speaker 3: We're just there.
Speaker 6: I actually learned every word to the Cincinnati Bengals fights on the Bengal Grause. We'd sit there in a one hundred degree heat then, so I wanted to teach me because that was so uplifting. So we just sing out of nowhere. When Morale was in the dumping it was too hot, we just started saying the bango. I know to this day still it's my daughters.
Speaker 1: There you go, there you go. You were So it took almost ten years to get ben Laden. He got May second, two thousand and eleven is one it happened. I've read enough to know and understand enough to know that the training for that mission began long before May of twenty eleven. How far in advance did you Seal Team six be begin training for that mission.
Speaker 6: It was about two weeks before we were confirmed that we were gonna go after Bin Laden, but we'd actually been preparing for it before because we went immediately to war after nine to eleven. And just what we learned in combat in Afghanistan first, then Iraq, then all over you know, to include Yemen and Somalia, the Indian Ocean. We just got really good at what we were doing. We got really good at fighting the enemy and how to exploit it. And what that means is we just got better at keeping it simple. We stopped complicating everything. And if, like someone asked me before, how do you clear a compound.
Speaker 4: As big as the Laddens?
Speaker 6: And I just said, well, if the guy in front of me goes left, I go right, and then we just do that over and over and over and we I mean we just mentioned football, what like, there are certain times in life where it doesn't matter how you got here.
Speaker 4: You're just here.
Speaker 6: And that happened at the Bin Laden raid when a helicopter crashed. But when I talked to football teams, I tell them, guys, it doesn't matter why it's second and fifteen, It just is Stop arguing about it.
Speaker 4: What we have in common is time is ticking. What are you gonna do about it? Do it now?
Speaker 6: So it's just a simplicity. Don't don't talk yourself into a butt kicken. Don't over complicate life. It'll get hard enough on its own. Just master the basics.
Speaker 1: So you're basically a young man when all this is going on, you're in your early twenties.
Speaker 4: Correct when on that when I was in my early thirties, because I was.
Speaker 6: It took I mean, you know, if people talk about getting into bin Laden's room and shooting him and all that stuff, it's not like I was flown there out of high school. Like it took me personally fifteen and a half years to get to that spot of training and sweat and blood and selection courses, all the stuff and getting with the find and I'll be an honored to be pick on the pick, to be on the finest team I think ever assembled. But we were ready for it at that point when I mean, when they told us the first time they told us what it was, they said, the reason you guys are here is it as close as we've ever been to Osama bin Laden, And there was no cheering.
Speaker 4: You know, we're professionals. We all just said cool, we're going now.
Speaker 1: We're ready, yeah, and okay, So so help me through it. Because there were two black Hawk helicopters, one of which, as you mentioned, clipped I think one of the compound walls and kind of went down sideways. Were you on that chopper or the other one?
Speaker 6: No, I was on the other one, and I didn't even know it crashed until I got into bin Laden's house. And what had actually happened was it was a little bit warmer than we anticipated, a few degrees celsius.
Speaker 4: And the walls were different the mud walls we.
Speaker 6: Were training on chain link fences, so there was a weird updraft and you'd have to ask a pilot because I'm not smart enough.
Speaker 1: To be a pilot.
Speaker 6: But the pilot decided he couldn't hover, and if he said, a more inexperienced pilot would have tried to power it up.
Speaker 4: That would have rolled and killed everybody.
Speaker 6: But the pilot, in the blink of it, I decided if he turned it and put the tail on the wall, he could pin the nose of the helicopter in the dirt and it might save everyone's life, which it did.
Speaker 4: But that pilot is a hero.
Speaker 6: Oh and he just decided it to put it down on the ground and then that it is what it isn't The guys immediately got out and started fighting, and like I said, I didn't even know it crashed until because they put us off on the wrong spot, because our pilot realized if they can't hover, we can't. However, I was supposed to go to the rooftop of bin Lad's house with my team, but he just put us off outside the twenty foot walls and we had to figure out a way to get in. But again we were just very experienced at what we can do, and we we did figure it out eventually. But even the sniper that we dropped off on my helicopter, his job was to run around the entire compound with the dog outside the walls, and he got to the point where the tail the helicopter with the pilot pin and he could see it on the X here. He came over the radio and said, guys inside beyond alert. They're definitely ready for us. They have a training mockup of our super secret helicopter in their front yard. And there was a pause and the ground force commander came over the radio and goes, no, jackass, that's ours.
Speaker 4: We crashed and the.
Speaker 6: Sniper did a good thing, and he literally came over the radio and said, yeah, that makes a lot more sense than what I was just saying, Harry.
Speaker 1: Hung You know I do. What I don't under is my next trip on a black Hawk will be my first. Don't those things make noise? How big was this compound? If this isn't Pakistan, right, so how big is this compound? And why wouldn't you inside hear them?
Speaker 4: Well, they probably hurt him.
Speaker 6: They were a little quieter, they these were The President of the United States didn't know about these helicopters until a few months prior to this.
Speaker 4: These were super secret.
Speaker 6: These were self This is stuff they tell me I shouldn't talk about, but again I don't know much about it.
Speaker 4: The technology, as know, they were a little.
Speaker 6: Quieter and the radar couldn't see them, and you know, training with them, it's like, well, I'm glad the Aliens who invented these are on our side because this is ridiculous.
Speaker 4: But they were just really, really, really good helicopters.
Speaker 6: But again, because the Pakistani intelligence was hiding bid Laden there. He must have assumed it was just Pakistani forces coming to get him or bring him out and put them somewhere else, because I mean, they put up a little bit of a fight, but I'd be amazed there were no bombs in every room to blow us all up, and there wasn't a bigger like. People ask me why wasn't there more Al Kaita fighters, and I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, well, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I mean, all I could tell you is we didn't call ahead and say we were coming out, but they weren't ready. I mean, not that that would have matter, because we crushed these guys, but but they, you know, they had a little bit of defense. But we, you know, we were very prepared, very professional. We all, I mean every guy on that mission had at least four hundred real war missions under their belt. So it was a I mean, we're still on the right guys. Don't get me wrong. I didn't want twenty more fighters there, but we handled the ones we ran into, and it was we turned something potentially catastrophic into something great just because of our preparation to get there. Not a perfect plan, which the perfect plan did last for three seconds, which is normal in life, you know, yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, I mean and you mentioned the combat missions. You were a veteran of hundreds of combat missions. Yeah, decorated, as I mentioned, leading into the two Silver stars, four Bronze Stars, various Navy and Marine Corps accommodation medals, and so I mean you were, you were highly decorated. But as you know, well know, you go into any mission, there is the likelihood that you're not coming back from that mission. So it really didn't matter, I guess to you whether it was going after Osama bin Laden or a regular Tuesday when you're out on patrol, there's a good chance that you weren't coming back. How did you handle that uncertainty?
Speaker 6: Well, I mean the thing is, too is a bullet only needs to be right once, and if you get hit, it could end everything that's important, to everything you think matters.
Speaker 4: So you can end. If he gets shot, it could just be over.
Speaker 6: And this one in particular, you know, we had a ninety minute flight in on helicopters that we didn't know if they worked, and we can get shot down and this house should blow up and there's gonna be a gunfight. We're not gonna have enough fuel. This could go a number of different ways. It's a one way mission. We accepted that, but we talked about it so you know, if we I had a guy even say don't don't before he went, he said, don't take this the wrong way, because I'm going one hundred percent going, I just need to say it out loud.
Speaker 4: If we know we're gonna die tonight, why are we going?
Speaker 6: Which is fair? And we had that conversation and we decided we're not going for the fame. We're obviously not getting the reward, but we're going after bin loaden tonight for the first Americans that were forced to fight out KaiA toe to Toada to the death, and those are the passengers on United flight ninety three. You know, we're going after bin loaden tonight for the single mom who dropped their kids off at elementary school on a beautiful Tuesday morning and then an hour later she jump to her death out of a skyscraper. Because that's a better alternative right now than whatever's going on inside.
Speaker 4: And then we'll never know she was, you know she was.
Speaker 6: They were supposed to do that, and those passengers weren't supposed to fight. We are supposed to fight, and that is why we're going.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you get inside the compound and you make your way to the compound, tell me about getting inside the actual building where ben Laden is. I mean, I'm sure the door wasn't open, and they had a butler that said, yes, he's upstairs. How do you get us to that part?
Speaker 6: I saw a funny a funny meme that had a thing from Midlin's ring camera that said, oh, someone's here, brb, some kidding. They know my first team from the crash helicopter had already gotten in. There had already been a gunfight. One of my guys had shot two terrors through the exterior windows before he was in, and they must have kicked the door hit it with a sledgeham or something, but it was already open and they were already clearing it by the time I got in. So I was on the first floor watching my guys, and I kind of just went into a side room. That's where one of the other dudes told me their helicopter crashed. And I was just impressed that because I'm looking for bombs now this place should blow up. He's gonna martyr everyone. But I was looking at my guys who were working ahead of me, because I'm in a position I have the best seat on the most important, modern, most important mission modern history. So I'm watching my guys and I was just proud of them because they know damn well they can blow up at any moment, but that's not stopping them. They're not afraid, and they're not speeding up. They're they're using our tactics. And the way, the best way to describe our tactics are slow as smooth and smooth as fast. So if you want to be fast, slow down, you know. And I'm watching them do it. And the woman who found bin Laden, the CIA agent who was depicted in zero dor thirty, said that I don't know what it looks like inside, but there will be stairwells and the first.
Speaker 4: One you will run into Khalid bin Laden, and that's his twenty year old son. He will be armed.
Speaker 6: And she said, so here's how cool she was. He said, if you can ace him, you get a shot at the big guy. That was cool, and we ran into him. The guys in front of me took carry him, so we went up to the second floor. He's dead on the stairs and then I was about eight guys back in line. Everyone except the first guy started going left and right to clear the unknowns, the different rooms, stuff like that. So it's down to two of us going from the second floor to the third floor, and that's where we know bin Laden is. So there's one guy in front of me and he's pointing his gun up the stairs and these stairs lead to a curtain like a door, but it was just a curtain and he could see people moving back and forth.
Speaker 1: So it's down to me.
Speaker 6: My job is to control his shoulder so that when we have and look for other guys that we're gonna bring. His job is to look forward so he doesn't need to look at me. But once I squeeze, it's time to go. And he just started saying, hey, we gotta go, we gotta get up, we gotta go. Come on now, because he's thinking those are suicide bombers. But we can beat him if we go right now. We can't hesitate. And I remember looking at him and literally he was brave.
Speaker 4: I wasn't.
Speaker 6: I'm thinking, Okay, ben Line's up there and I'm gonna blow up, but I'm just tired of thinking about it. It wasn't bravery at all. It's like, let's just go. So I squeezed him and he went up and he went to that curtain and he moved it, and he sort of tackled these two people that he assumed were suicide bombers, like he didn't know he thought they were. So he jumped on a grenade that didn't go off, which how he doesn't have a medal of honor is beyond me. But because he went left, I went right because of our tactics. And right in front of me, three feet away, standing on two feet was the Sauna b Lunn and his wife Lamal was in front of her him and he had his arms on her shoulders, and I remember thinking, I was I didn't think he would.
Speaker 4: Be as skinny as he was.
Speaker 6: He was taller than I thought, and his beard was sort of gray. But that's his nose, that's him. He's not surrendering. I've seen that picture a thousand times. He's a suicide bomber. I got to take him out, and the way you deal with the suicide bombers to shoot him in the face. So I did twice at about three feet away, and then he fell down. I shot him one more time, and then because his wife is in front of me and we're the good guys. Now it's time to move her out of the way because other seals will be coming in. I don't want it to be a crossfire. And that's when I looked down and saw his two year old son. And this is the humanity of stuff like this. I'm a father and I'm looking at his two year old son. And my first thought was, this kid has nothing to do with this. He should not have seen this. So I'm moving them out of the way, and I tune around. I can hear bin Laden exhaling.
Speaker 4: I can.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's an ugly side. I can see what it looks like. It gets shot in the head three times at close range. And I'm kind of looking at him, and one of my friends comes up to me. He kind of gets controlling me and says, hey, are you good? And I said I am, But what do we do now? And we laughed and he said, now we find the computers. Bro, if we do this every night, hundreds of times, you've done this, come on And I said, you're right, I'm back, Oh my god. And his words to me were, yeah, you just killed Osama Bin laden and your life just changed.
Speaker 4: Now get to work.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, And so at that point you get the body out. They don't want him to become a martyr, they don't want to leave him behind. You got to get the body out. You got to throw the body on the helicopter and get back to base or I guess to the aircraft carrier, right, because that's where it was a thing at sea, right.
Speaker 6: Well, we had to call another helicopter in because we have to blow the one that crash up. So we have to call and no one realizes this too, is that that's more Army pilots and another Army helicopter and more Navy seals. So the heroes on that mission, the Army and Seal Team six, actually rescued Seal Team six on the Bin Laden raid.
Speaker 4: No one ever talks about that. I'm amazed.
Speaker 6: But so that's the one we got to get out of. So we turned the body to the first team that Krash gave them our initial helicopter. This one came in to get us, and then we're leaving. And this is the coolest part of the mission because we just we got his body. Now we're leieving the Pakistani's no we're here, and they're definitely gonna try to shoot us down with a jet that we sold them, and a jet against the helicopter is a bad fight. But if we can live for ninety minutes, we get fifty years. I get to see my kids again. But worrying about a missile shooting me down, Isy're gonna stop it, So I'm not gonna worry about it. So I just start on my stopwatch and I'm waiting for ninety minutes. If I get ninety minutes across that border, across the border into Afghanistan, we live. And I look down at my watch, It's like I spent ten minutes. I spent twenty minutes. The sniper sitting next to me is the guy who rescued Richard Phillips from Smallly Pirates. Like, this is how small this team is. I looked thirty minutes. Now it's spend forty fifty minutes. Now it's spent fifty minutes. Got to get to ninety seventy minutes. Then I start thinking you just mentioned baseball. I started thinking about a baseball game, top of the seventh watching a no hitter, like I don't want to jinx this I don't want to say anything, but it's been eighty minutes.
Speaker 4: Got to get to ninety.
Speaker 6: Then I love sports analogies because it doesn't matter how you got some even a pro golfer, you had a team with you, right, So I love sports analogies. I started thinking about the greatest sporting event in American history in nineteen eighty Lake Placid, when Team USA Hockey was playing the greatest hockey team ever assembled, the Russians, the professional Russian team. We've never lost since the fifties or something like that. And you have this group of college kids have no business being on the ice, but now they're winning. And it's three to four in the third period. You hear the crowd ten nine ftill nervous, you know, six five, And then the pilot came over the radio.
Speaker 4: This is going through my head.
Speaker 6: Then the pilot comes over the radio at eighty five minutes into a ninety minute flight, and he said, very calmly, all right, gentlemen, for the first time in your lives, you're gonna be happy to hear this.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Afghanistan.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, wow, yep.
Speaker 6: So we fly him down, We bring him to Jalalabad to show Admiral mccraven, who was running the mission officer I've.
Speaker 4: Ever worked for.
Speaker 6: And then we showed it to the showed the body to the woman who found him, and she was she she that was the only thing he did in life was find him.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 6: She gave up her life, no husband, no kids, seven days a week for years to find him. And we walked her over to his body, and I thought it would have.
Speaker 4: Been cool enough, this could have ended it.
Speaker 6: I pointed to his body and I said to her, is that your guy? And she looked at for second, pated me on the back. He goes, well, I get I guess I'm out of an expletive job.
Speaker 4: And she just left. That was so cool.
Speaker 6: And then we flew him up to Bagram and we had to we had to show the agency it was here. And then the professional photographer and a professional scientist doing DNA confirmed and I'm standing above.
Speaker 4: I'm standing at the feet of been lawn. He's laying right here. I hear President Obama. He's on TV. We're watching this.
Speaker 6: I'm eating a breakfast sandwich and he says, tonight I can report to the American people and to the world the United States conducted an operation to kill Osama bin Lan, the leader of al Qaeda. I hear the President say, oh Sama bin Laden. I look at Osama bin Laden eating a breakfast sandwich, and I thought, how in the world did I get here from Butte Montana. And then we turned him over to the army. They flew him out to the carrier. I didn't see him get dumped in the water. That's the story we got. And we literally flew from there to Virginia Beach when we were home sixteen hours later.
Speaker 1: Boy Rob O'Neill, Robert O'Neill is our guest. His book is a New York Times bestseller, The Operator Firing the Shots that killed Osama Bin Laden and My years as a Navy Seal Team Warrior. Your life is a man changed, as you mentioned immediately after you put three into ben Laden. You're a marked man. Obviously there are people that want to see you personally dead because of that. So tell me about your life today, precautions you have to take or are you the kind of guy that says, listen, I'm just going to live my life. I did what I needed to do, and I'm not going to let anybody bother me.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, precautions should be there and everybody should be prepared for anything, and that's just that my role right now. I mean, I don't discuss the security.
Speaker 4: I haven't play. I have a lot in place.
Speaker 6: I know how to handle myself, so I'm not you know, I can take care of myself and my family, So I'm It's one of those things you don't want to get complacent just because these people don't only need to.
Speaker 4: Be right once.
Speaker 6: But yeah, I'm a target, but so is every other American and it would be a lot easier if they can get weapons into this country, which they have, by the way, over an open border for the past four years. They would much rather go to Times Square and kill a bunch of people that just try to find me because.
Speaker 4: I'm a hard target.
Speaker 6: But a lot of people out there have their head in the sand and don't realize that just because you're not at war with someone doesn't mean they're not at war with you.
Speaker 4: So I mean, yeah, I mean, but I see, I bet.
Speaker 6: I was forced at a young age to get completely immersed in what I call reality, and there's not a lot of that going on, especially in this country with the political landscape. So I mean, I live my life but on that too though you know a lot of political fighting that's only on the internet when you get outside, even in other countries. Because my favorite saying is it's a large planet, but it's a small world. Believe it or not, most people are actually really good. Most people just want to including in combat zones, they just want to get on with their lives and razor kid like the rest of us.
Speaker 4: So I mean, you know, don't get complacent.
Speaker 6: But either there are threats, but for the majority of my life that most you know, people are just great. If you're angry at social media, put your phone down and go outside and talk to people. Go to a deli, get a sandwich, Go get some chili at highlight.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, just keep there, live your life. Understand that, you know, you could either live your life in fear or you can live your life the way we were meant to live our lives. But that doesn't mean you have to be stupid about it when you live it, I think is what you're saying. You're forty eight years old. Forty eight years old, now, right, what are you doing now?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Besides talking about.
Speaker 4: Well, this is the best part of my life right now. We're having a bless Yeah.
Speaker 6: I host a podcast to the same name, called The Operator, and I just I'm not calling myself an operator. I'm giving you my description of my life as an operator. And I want to hear your life is an operator and being an operator. If you're doing anything to help your family or your community, or your church or your schools, you're an operator.
Speaker 4: So I like to hear from people.
Speaker 3: So I do that.
Speaker 6: And my book The Operator, I saw on my website and I sign a lot for people because we have fun with it. Like I don't use an auto pen, then I don't use plateless. I take uh, whatever you want signed in the book is there's an inscription part and I have put what people want. It's just fun because people like it's just awesome. It's it's not always a military theme or motivation.
Speaker 4: I got one the other day. It's my favorite.
Speaker 6: Some dude bought my book for his buddy as a birthday present and he had me signed Dear Jeff, you kill it selling mattresses like I killed the Loud.
Speaker 4: We have fun with me, so we have fun with that.
Speaker 1: That's great. Hey, Rob O'Neil, this has been a trip, man, I would tell but we can do anything. Yeah, no, I believe me. I'm I'm gonna hang on to your number and and next time I'll play the Bengals theme song for you, just to uh, you know, just to get your back in the mood for everything. How about that?
Speaker 4: I can you played? You played the Bengo Girl anytime you have.
Speaker 1: A fire up?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: I love that song. About time the bout time for a super Bowl.
Speaker 1: I'm just hey, you're telling us, you're telling us stay well and we'll we'll visit down the road.
Speaker 4: Thank you, outstand, Thanks for having me have a great day.
Speaker 1: You bet, I don't know what you've done in life. That's what he's done. One nine News Radio seven hundred w WELW. You know, I thought our crowd was incredible.
Speaker 7: You know, I certainly tried to do the best that I could to share with our crowd how important they are to our success, especially down the stretch. We now have four home games left, and you know tonight Tonight's crowd and yukont crowd or man, it just it doesn't get any better anywhere in college basketball than how that feels.
Speaker 1: Oh hello, quiet, and I'm I'm broadcasting God, got your boy, said, got your boy? I am got your boy.
Speaker 8: Another one, another one goes, and another one will come into town, and they'll go and they'll come. And what's I mean everybody getting upside?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean how many times does it happen?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: Look at you see?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean when you see I mean, what's Jones three and done? Yeah? Brian Kelly three and done? Yep, Tommy t Well probably couldn't get out of there quick enough, went to the Senate right exactly. And then Fickle what was fickle? He was three four and done? Yeah, it's it's and it's going to be even worse now because you can you can literally buy players, and the more money you have to buy better players, the more chance you're going to have to win, which will keep the the alumni off your rear end and also give you a chance to win a national championship. Correct, So what's going to happen here is you're going to have about forty schools maybe if you maybe thirty five, and they're going to be the top of the sports spectrum and everybody else after that. And it may not be every SEC school or every Big twelve school, it's going to be the Kreme de la creme. That's where all this is going.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: And if I'm saying here, you know what fool me wants, shame on me, fool me twice, shame on you, or vice versa. However, that coast, they had to know it was coming. You have to know what you deal. As they said at twelve o'clock today. You know what every single jilted wife, every single cheated on white thinks. It gets a little bit better with more counseling. It doesn't. You're gonna leave. You're gonna leave just the way it is. So I don't know, ken Brew, I mean, I guess it's Chris Mack.
Speaker 4: What do you think.
Speaker 1: I don't you know, I don't know what direction to go. I mean, yeah, I would think if it's offered to Chris Mack, he would come back, but Mack left them. I mean, loyalty in this country is dead. It died a long time ago.
Speaker 8: Well, like you said, it's now, it's it's nil money leading the way now. It's not whether or not your coach has won two or three national championships or ha has had success like a Sean Miller during the season end in the postseason.
Speaker 1: Now, it's like how much how much do you have? Every single basketball only school is at a decided disadvantage now because, right, football drives the bus. Football drives the dollars, and if you don't have football, it's going to be very difficult to generate ANIL money. The last number I saw on Xavier's ANDIL money was from two years ago. It was one million dollars total. Two years ago at Texas same time, you know, it was fifteen and a half million dollars. And I'm sure, Baw do you compete. Yeah, I'm sure both of those numbers have come up since then, right, But it's if you're a basketball only school, generating ANIL money to compete with a large in state school is going to be very, very difficult. Ken bruthe is stood reporters a proud service.
Speaker 8: Every local temp star heating and air conditioning dealers tapstar quality. You can feel in Cincinnati called Sheldon Bron at Bron Heating at five three three eighty five seventy seven sixty five sparks ro there you go, Roxy, wake her up. So Sean Miller leaves for the second time in his career. He's going off to the Long Horns, replacing Rodney Terry. And uh, let's see, I guess uh the Channel five says there was an executive chartered jet that brought in Chris Mack late last night to the Cincinnati area.
Speaker 1: Well, they got to hire somebody because the transfer portal opened today, correct. I think if that well, obviously, if Chris Mack is off of the job, he's going to take.
Speaker 3: It, right.
Speaker 1: I mean, he gets his home right exactly right. Yeah, And you know he had a taste of the big time at Louisville, and you know, I think what he realized is what I realized when you when I went to Washington, d C. It's it's just the size of the pot in the poker game. It's still a poker game. Correct. But you know, like you know what's Saint John's did this year is going to be very difficult. You know, you gotta have football because that football drives the nil Bus.
Speaker 8: NCAA tournament update ken Brew brought to you by ACR, Gun, Eyed Pools and Spas call today Swim This year, Carl Frankie's running a special.
Speaker 1: Of course.
Speaker 8: The Kentucky Wildcats are into Sweet sixteen for the billionth time the Pope and uh, let's see, the Wildcats will face Tennessee, Tennessee at Lucas Oil Stadium Friday night, Indianapolis at seven forty.
Speaker 1: Going to be a barbecue special.
Speaker 8: I mean, you got Purdue playing it and against against in in Indianapolis, you got good.
Speaker 1: I bet you.
Speaker 8: There's people there already. Oh, they never went home, probably lined up. They haven't been home.
Speaker 1: Said.
Speaker 8: The Bearcats are getting ready to take on De Paul a week from tomorrow in college basketball Crown Tournament.
Speaker 1: How many players are going to be left to play? I don't know. The portal open today. They could lose three four players. Correct Red's update.
Speaker 8: Speaking of closing things out, the Reds that closed out spring training with a big win over those Guardians, uh to twelve seventeen and one who's healthy.
Speaker 1: They don't have steer, No.
Speaker 8: Alexis das is out with that hamstring inflammation whatever that means.
Speaker 1: I mean, they got a number of guys that may not answer the bell for them, right, so the other guy too. I mean you, here's what I think. Does anybody here what I think I think?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 1: Okay, here's what I think I think. If this team doesn't stay healthy, it's chances of being good are exponentially worse because they can't afford injury. Now, a steers an injury that you know is gonna be tough for them to navigate. Yep, A shoulder impingement. I hate those. I don't even know what it is. It's what a nerve. It's like a pinch nerve. Yeah, I have one of those in my neck cloth. I'm still suffering the consequences.
Speaker 8: Ouch, okay, in the consequence all right, and has saved me a call to Doc Hollywood. Let's see the Reds are in action tomorrow night in the gym city or they will play an exhibition game against the Dayton Dragons. Wow, that would be a big deal. I hope they'll be packed. It's sold out and ready to go. Six forty I think a game time or something six o'clock or something.
Speaker 1: Hopefully it won't be as cold tomorrow night as it was last night. That's actually a problem.
Speaker 8: Let's see Bengals update brought to you by Good Spirits and Party Town, thirteen convenient locations in northern Kentucky.
Speaker 1: One month from today, ken Brew, they're going to start drinking if they don't get some guards.
Speaker 8: One month from today, the National Football League Draft takes place, is it cleef?
Speaker 1: Green Bay? I'm sorry Green Bay? Okay? And then Bengals picked seventeenth. Yeah, they have who draft picks? Well they take they have six draft picks. They need two guards. They need at least one more linebacker probably, and they need at least one more safety and probably two safeties.
Speaker 8: See the University of Illinois Lucas Byrd, a LaSalle graduate, won an NCAA wrestling championship over the weekend at one hundred and thirty three pound class.
Speaker 1: So congratulations that young man.
Speaker 8: And then the United States women's national soccer team coming back to the Queens City this summer.
Speaker 1: Ken Brew.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, they're going to face the Republic of Ireland at t QL Stadium on June twenty ninth.
Speaker 1: Oh, the Irish will be out in four.
Speaker 8: It's the third matchup played by the US women's national team at the stadium since it open in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: I'll want some World Cup tune ups Men's World Cup tune ups here.
Speaker 8: It's still unclear whether but where they'll be part of the match day roster. But of course Cincinnati natives Rose Level and Aubrey Kingsbury both have played on the national team. Of course level from Mount Notre Dame. Kingsbury is Saint Ursula Grad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know what we were We were in the running for World Cup matches right right, the Men's World Cup matches. Correct. We didn't get any. No, and now we're being to all, well, maybe they'll use TQL as a training side or something. I want if we can't get a World Cup match. I guess there's some World Cup college. I don't know what it is. That there's something that's coming here, but it's not the World Cup. Correct. Why don't we get like some friendlies leading up to the World Cup, like the United States against England. Do you realize what that place would be like if the US plate or Argentina or Brazil. Oh, that place would be crazy.
Speaker 9: Oh.
Speaker 1: I want something like that. I'd have to double it. They'd have to double the attendance as a consolation prize. I want the US men's team leading up to the World Cup doing tune up matches against these teams, and then then when the Women's World Cup comes back to the United States. I want Women's World Cup matches here in Cincinnati, you know, dang it. As as my uncle Fred used to say, dang it, we just ought to make it happen. And then he passed out. Well, well, hopefully they'll make it happen. There can brew. You never know if you listen. If you don't plan a seed, a flower won't grow. That's that's correct. What else you got said? That's about it. I went to the Cyclones game yesterday. Yeah, a big overtime win. Huh yeah, big overtime the k Wings nine thousand, six hundred plus, how about that?
Speaker 4: Very nice?
Speaker 1: Nine thousand were there to get Bluey's picture. But other than that, you was, no, it was some guy that it wasn't blue It was some guy a costume. No, I mean you should have you know, you and the wife. But there you're Gon put up on the mantle at home, right next to that picture with uh. What other photos you have? Well, some of the some of the rock stars that you've been hanging out with. Well I got some of those two. But yeah, you know, I had some grandson that wanted to go see Bluey okay, and he saw him. He said, I said, you want your picture taken with him? And he said no, I said, that's great. Plus, the line to get your picture taken with blue probably all down there against the wall, all the way around passed Bluey, and halfway back the other way. When I left that game after the after they want, they were still in line, still halfway around the area to get get their picture taken with some dude in the costume.
Speaker 3: So I saw.
Speaker 1: I tried to get what would prevent me or you or anybody from getting the costume of somebody that's really popular with the kids, and like going out in the middle of your street and charging like a dollars to get your your autograph from the costume.
Speaker 8: Get a van and you get a van. A couple of guys get a van and you in the back. And now all of a sudden there's blue walking down the middle of the street. People go crazy, But it's me in a costume. Now, now, this was free film like Santa Claus. This was free yesterday. You had to buy a ticket to the hockey game.
Speaker 1: It was free. That's good. But there was like one guy as Bluey, and that's all the kids were there to see. I'll figure this is great. I went and watched the hockey game. It was It was phenomenal. It was a two one win and overtime, Yeah, one and overtime. Mister Uh, let's see was u? His name is Uh? I don't know any of these people.
Speaker 8: Chazz Sharp, chas want a breakaway, mister sharp on a breakaway and overtime wins it.
Speaker 1: They haven't won a lot of games this year, but they haven't. That was good too. But I was just thinking, you know, you could, Who's to say who's somebody is?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Who's to say it's who's good? Who's mister Red Lakes, It's White's, who's Rosy? Red?
Speaker 3: Go?
Speaker 1: You know who's who's mister Red? Who's who they? Who's Gary the Lion of FC. I'm just saying you can get a costume and be anybody in this day. What about the blue Blob? I don't know what that is, but I don't think I you're putting that thing on. Anyways, Say get us out of the Stewge Report. You'll be back here in a few minutes and we can talk more about this nonsense.
Speaker 8: Ken Brew and honor of just a few days until it starts to count in Major League Baseball. With the Reds and the Giants on Thursday, we leave you with the immortal words of the stud report.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the whole town's batty about sitting Sonnati was a lot of tea, a lot of team.
Speaker 1: Who's singing this song?
Speaker 4: Thin?
Speaker 1: It's Gary Jason and the lady blah. I don't know who this is.
Speaker 9: How they scream, how they scream, how they scream singing? Keep bonn routing everry and they'll do that best to keep bon winny.
Speaker 1: This could be the legendary tell you all, I.
Speaker 9: Vincennati.
Speaker 1: Well, you know music, you ought to know this guy who?
Speaker 3: Yes, you know what?
Speaker 1: I think this song is like over one hundred years old. If I'm not mistaken, it's over. So were we we just you know what?
Speaker 8: I think it was yesterday or Saturday. We just had the station's birthday. What is it one hundred and three? Get yeah, one hundred and twenty three or something like that. Well, Larry Vincent might have sang that song on this radio station. How about that right before the Doris Show.
Speaker 4: You might have had that or the Twilight Zone.
Speaker 1: You never know, say you never know? That's true? Sega, I gotta go because I've got a I've got You're a you're a Navy seal. Sandwich. I had the guy that shot as sun.
Speaker 3: I know that.
Speaker 1: I'm honored to follow that guy. Well, now now I got another Navy seal and his wife coming up, because they can save your marriage. So I said, they can do everything. They can do everything. Yeah, absolutely. Seven hundred w WELW to eight is the current time in the Greater Cincinnati area two o eight and good afternoon. It's the average American and for the great American on this glorious Monday. Ah, we've seen the sun today, which leads to one to think maybe we'll see it on Thursday when we really need to see the sun. Hopefully it warms up. Hopefully we're not just being hold that to make us feel better until we get to Thursday. Because I've been down there with the flurries flying around my head. I don't want any part of that, not at all. Fifty percent of marriages into divorce. It's a fact. It's just not me making things up to tell you something that makes you feel bad. It is marriages in this day and age have a fifty to fifty shot of working. Infidelity, sexual or financial or whatever is a leading cause of why there are other stressors of course, in marriage, kids, raising kids, not agreeing on how to do that, maybe too much time outside the home, maybe one or the other spouse travels too much. There are a lot of things that can lead to divorce. But only about half the marriages in this country work anymore. Now, factor in the military and the number gets even higher, between sixty to seventy percent of military marriages and in divorce. And there's a lot of reasons for it, the same reasons why it would exist in a non military family, but certainly there are other things as well. Separation from spouse. Maybe you're off on a thirteen month mission, maybe you're station somewhere that's far away from where your wife is living. All kinds of things can can bring stressors into a military marriage. Now, factor in combat, and factor in the stress of knowing that, regardless of what the mission is or where you're staying, there is the threat every single day that you may not come home or you may not be around for the rest of that marriage, for the rest of that spouse's life. And that leads me to my next guest, actually two guests I have had Jay Redmond Jason Redmond on my show many times. He is a decorated Navy seal, and together he and his wife have written a book. Now to understand Jay Redmond, you have to understand this, go back seventeen years. It's two thousand and seven. He's on patrol when his particular patrol was ambushed by a machine gunter's nest in Iraq. A lot of the people that were on patrol with him were killed. He was not, but he was shot several times, including through the face, requiring thirty seven thirty seven surgeries, twelve hundred stitches, and grueling years of rehab, all while his wife, Erica, was living at home and raising their three children. Yet their marriage survived. He came home, it was work, but their marriage survived. And Eric and Jason began thinking, well, wait a minute, why did it work under the most extreme circumstances for us, when just everyday people can't make a marriage work. When we had all of this going on, we made it work. Maybe what happened to us, maybe how we worked our way through it might be able to help someone else out. And so they've written a book. It's called marriage, it's called I'm Sorry, it's called Mission Invincible. Marriage, a battle tested Guide to an Enduring Relationship. It has just come out, and Jason and Erica are out on the Left Coast today and we have managed to track them down to talk about not only this book, but also how they kept things together what it looked like Jason was not going to be around much longer. So let's welcome him in. Jason and Erica, Welcome to the seven hundred w welw. How are you on this glorious Monday.
Speaker 10: Good morning, Thanks for having us.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you're been doing great. I'm glad you're both here. I really am, because I think this is as much about Jason and what he went through and Erica and what you went through. Just give us a little background on your relationship. Where did you meet, how did you meet, and how long did you know each other before you actually got married. Erica, I'll let you handle it.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 11: We were I'm originally from Louisville, Kentucky and not far from you guys right now, and he was actually training out at Fort Knox and we met.
Speaker 10: We had the long.
Speaker 11: Distance relationship for about a year and a half two years before I moved to Virginia Beach and we got married.
Speaker 1: Well, that's cool and and and uh, Jason, was it love at first sight?
Speaker 10: It was love at first sight, although in typical mail fast and I messed it up at some point. I tell some of those stories in the book. I got I got cold bed, I got commitment issues, and I broke up with Erica and and she made me work very hard to win her back, which actually I think made our marriage stronger. And uh, and then the other component of that was I told Erica, this is very difficult job to be married into, being in the military of special and special operations. But because of that, except this strong foundation for the future. We were very intentional and deliberate about how we were going to approach our marriage and we just continue to build on that through you know, now we've been together twenty six years, married twenty four and we wanted to share that with other people.
Speaker 1: So you were in training to become a Navy seal, which is intense training. These are these are the elite of our enforces. There's no question about that. You're in training for this. How long were you stateside before you had to ship off to Iraq? Did you have time to get to know each other, establish the marriage and what not Erica.
Speaker 11: We did, so he was actually already a seal at that point, but he was working in a training working in a workup, and we were very fortunate that when we got married, he actually was home doing training and actually went to school. So it really did give us a couple of years to really have that good foundation before he went to both Iraq and Afghanistan. And while we did write this book, you know, with with the military, with our protector community, fire fire law enforcement in mind, I still think that there is so there's practical applications and tips that really can be you know, I'm hoping that people are.
Speaker 3: Inspired by our story saying.
Speaker 11: If they could do this, then we can apply these things to our relationships, and this really can go beyond just just our special community.
Speaker 1: Sure, because when a spouse is a firefighter, and when a spouse is a police officer, when they say goodbye to their husband or their wife when they leave to go and do their job each day, there's no guarantee they're coming home. It's it's it could spin on a dime in most of those professions, just as it did with with with Jason, and it's countless others that served in uniform across halfway across the world. So really and truly, if you're the spouse of a first responder, if you're a spouse of a military person, we know the divorce rate is high in both instances. This might be a great blueprint to keep these not only these marriages together, but keep these friendships together. And Jason, I think anybody that's deployed halfway around the world and you've got somebody at home waiting for you, the one thing you want to do is make sure that those people that are left behind are taken care of and have as much piece of mind, peace of mind as possible.
Speaker 3: Correct, Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 10: And a lot of that, you know, a lot of that is how do you run your marriage in the beginning, I mean marriage is marriage is hard. You're taking two different people and you're putting them together. And we talk about in the book you've got to learn to make it it's we not me, uh, And the foundation of that is a lot of communication. One of the biggest things that Eric and I talk about in the book is, hey, we at our combined dreams. That was a really critical thing there was we looked in the future. I knew that someday in the military would end and what did that look like. And I told they were coming to be twenty years in the seal teams and then after that we can decide where we go from there. But she also had her dreams. She was an entrepreneur. She was big into building a business and things along those line, along with running, you know, raising our kids. So there was a lot of communication always happened, and that flows throughout the entire book. And I think that's the foundation to help, especially if you're in a high risk, high stress job, to reduce that risk and have that shared those shared goals.
Speaker 1: You have three children in twenty oh seven, and Jason, you been on before with me, So just to refresh people, your patrol was ambushed by a machine gunner's nest in Iraq. You went through almost forty surgeries, countless other years of rehab. This is all transpiring in twenty oh seven, Erica. On the day that happened, you had absolutely no idea that that had happened to Jason, just tell me a little bit about handling that news, getting that news and how it not only tested you as a person, but also how that was a severe test of your marriage. Just tell me about all of that and how you handled that.
Speaker 10: Absolutely.
Speaker 11: So at the time, our kids were worth three, five and second grade, so they were they were all pretty young. Funny, we figured out that I was actually at his command when the firefight was happening, and I was at his command getting the redeployed, like them coming home briefing.
Speaker 10: So funny.
Speaker 11: They were like giving us, hey, either thing to look for stressors or different things you know, that we may encounter. And I was there just thinking, oh, you know, we're great, like we're going to adjust a fine. I was there for social hour and really just wanted to you know, the dates and the details of him coming home. So little did I know that that firefight was actually happening right at that time.
Speaker 1: And you know, I got that phone call.
Speaker 11: The next the next morning, so I was in scrambling saying, oh my goodness, what were those resources? What were all those things that they were you know that they were sharing with us the night before. But I really feel like we had had a chance to build that good foundation. We had good communication, we had trust, and you know, I think all of that was I think when adversity hit you, and in our case, it was battlefield injuries, but in so many other cases, it could be injury, it could be illness, it could be cancer. I just it's so important to have that strong foundation. And we were fortunate when adversity hit us, it actually made us, made us stronger and made us, you know, come out on the other side, you know, stronger. But if that foundation hadn't been there, it absolutely could have worked in the other way.
Speaker 1: Jason's a retired Navy lieutenant, eleven years as an enlisted Navy seal, ten years as a seal officer, awarded the Bronze Star and with Valor and the Purple Heart. Okay, so we go through in our daily lives trying to keep everything together, trying to keep finances together, trying to keep the family together, trying to keep our marriage together. And you've got some things in this book that really highlight how it's worked for you through so many different and trying times. As I look at it, the number one thing that seems to be a theme through the book is communication. That you have to talk to each other, that you have to know each other, that you have to know when someone is saying, when your spouse or your partner is saying something, what it means, and whether or not you need to jump in with advice or back off and just listen. But I think it all starts. It seems like with these marriages that succeed, it's with communication. Am I right about that?
Speaker 3: Jason Tenure spot on.
Speaker 10: I often talk about in special operations. Once, when I was in training, our commanding officer wanted us to design a new risk assessment tool. We had some complicated tools, and we designed this new tool that can be used very quickly. It's used across the seal teams.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 10: The number one thing, the top thing.
Speaker 3: Communication.
Speaker 10: It is what will make or break any mission and special operations. Our ability to communicate across the battle space and chaotic environments. Marriage is no different. Relationships are no different. You know, we're constantly dealing with all kinds of things. Can you nail their finances and jobs and life and kids? And you know where are we going on vacation? And we got holidays coming up? And you know, are we going to go out tonight or not? I mean, from the little things to the big things, communication is critical and we talk about that in the book. How for the most important thing is to start off making sure you're aligned on the big you know your values, where you're going. If you haven't done that in the beginning of your marriage, that starts to create some big challenges later down the road. If you get a few years down and you're like, wait, what do you mean every Christmas you want to be at your parents' house? Like, no, I don't do that. So that suddenly becomes these conflict points. Understanding that, working on that, and understanding that also it changes over time. We lay the books out in three sections. Mission, how do we establish that this is our mission? You know, our marriage, us together, you know, what is the foundation our unit, integrity, the culture of our mission if you will or are of our marriage. Number two is training. No different in the Seal Teams, we constantly trained and involved. You got to train in your marriage. What does that mean? Well, you're constantly going out, you're talking, You're making sure your goals and hopes and dreams and what you're working on finances, all that's aligned. And then number three is under conflict. You know, and the Seal Teams we train for those you know, God forbid moments that we get into the big firefights and when things go wrong, well, guess what happened to marriages too. So you have to train for those things, and you have to be ready for those things.
Speaker 3: And we lay all that out everybody.
Speaker 1: That I've told, by the way, were chatting with Jason and eric Are Redmond. Their book is just out Mission Invincible Marriage and how their marriage worked under perhaps the most stressful times you can ever imagine. Every time I talk to an author who does a book about his or herself, or they do something that happened in his or her life, they find out things along the way about themselves that they didn't know or didn't realize that were there maybe all along with they didn't they didn't realize it. So I'm wondering, Erica, did you discover anything about yourself or your marriage in writing this book Mission in Invincible Marriage?
Speaker 11: I mean absolutely, I mean I feel like we learned that the foundation we built really made us both readili and so whether it's you know, and I'd love to say that that his battlefield injuries was the worst thing that we had encountered, But a few years ago Jay was struggling with an illness that they couldn't figure out that.
Speaker 3: Was extremely difficult.
Speaker 11: We now are running multiple businesses together.
Speaker 3: That is extremely difficult.
Speaker 1: But I think that what we've learned is that.
Speaker 11: That foundation of trust and communication really made us a unit that that we we can be resilient and we really can conquer you know, any any adversity that comes our way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, by the way, what businesses are you running? Because I know that you were an entrepreneur?
Speaker 3: Was what what? What?
Speaker 1: What are you guys doing?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 11: We we not only Jay speaking across the country, but we also represent other additional inspirational speakers under Eagle Right Speakers Network.
Speaker 3: We recently launched.
Speaker 11: A office coworking being an event center here in our hometown of Chesapeake, Virginia, and Jay has several other He's working on a technology company that Look that can help veterans, and also involved in the whiskey seltzer business. So we've we've got a little bit of everything going on.
Speaker 1: That's some diverse that's some diverse interest. Look good luck with Look good luck with The book. It is just down on the last couple of days again. It's Mission Invincible Marriage, a battle tested guide to an enduring relationship. It is written by former Navy seal Jason Redmond, his wife Erica and it is a real insight into what happened with them and how it can help you and hopefully keeping your marriage together. Yeah, you're in Chesapeake, Virginia. But but Jays Jason Ohio, guy, right, you got to feel pretty good about the buck guys last year, right.
Speaker 10: Jason, Hey, man, we brought home the Mattie's so big shout out. I was super stoked about that. And hey, Bengals, you need me, you need to bring me back. I spoke for you guys in twenty ten.
Speaker 3: We were doing good. Everything looks good.
Speaker 10: Bring me back. We need a super Bowl for the Bengals, Joe Barrow called me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you could do that, man, you'll be a bestseller of the rest of your life. Both of you. Take care of good luck, good health, and thanks for sharing your story with us. We really appreciate it. Yeah, no, you bet, you bet again. The book is Mission Invincible Marriage, The battle Tested Guide to an Enduring Relationship, and it is just out this week. It is coming up on two twenty six News Radio seven hundred WOLW.
Speaker 7: One of the most difficult, if not the most difficult decision that I've ever made, and it's because of the people that are here.
Speaker 6: Oh hell, hello, byet, I'm skos.
Speaker 1: I'm broadcasting in So the other thing said that coaches do when they're introduced at a news conference at their new school, Yes, they always have someone because it's not them run out and buy a stripe tie that is the colors of the school they're joining. You think they run out and get it. I would think that the school would have like a like, you know, closets full of that stuff. Well, you would think, I don't know what's he going to do with all those Xavior colored ties that he has.
Speaker 8: What happens to those Well, I guess, uh, you know, auction them off for charity or something, or I don't know. I'm just saying, send him over to the send him over to the bookstore. Got dumb twice. Savior got dumbed twice by this guy. See what happens, ken Brew. I mean, it looks like it's going to be Chris Mack, but we'll wait and see. I guess so, well, we're all on hold with bait. It if not bad breath, no doubt about that. Yes, sir ken Brew, the Stude Reporters apron service of your local Teme Star heat He get air conditioning dealers, tame star quality, you cond feelings. It's an enny called Stacy Heating and Air Solutions. Five one, three, three six seven h E A T spots.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Roxy put the words right out of my mouth. Well let me put him back in.
Speaker 8: So it looks like that, of course of Sean Miller is off in the land of Longhorns, and looks like I likely that Chris Max is going to take the gig at ed Xavier.
Speaker 1: So we'll see what happens over the next few days. Now, I like Chris Mack. I always yes, you know, I'm I'm so. I've been around this place so long. I covered Chris Mack in high school?
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 1: How about that? I covered uh, Mick Cronin when he was in high school?
Speaker 2: Cover that?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 1: How about that number when Chris was a junior at a big knee brace, big knee brace. He played his junior year like on one leg. Wow, Mick Cronan Chris Mack. He goes to x If Chris, If Mick Cronin goes to Xavier, Victory Parkway may have a Herman in detour. True, I think that would be a seismic event. But now I remember Chris Mack. Chris Mack was a Chris Mack was a hard nosed defensive player in high school and really played great defense. Yep, really played great defense. But that's how long I've been around, seg bet, you know I'm older. I've been around so long. I've seen fishes go in business and go out of business. That's how long I've been around.
Speaker 8: NCAA Tournament FDA ken Brew brought to you by a c R. Gunn Eye, Pools and spas call today swim this year called frank Zibel. He's running a special Frankie Kentucky sweet sixteen again after being Illinois the Pope.
Speaker 1: The white smoke is rising from the Pope.
Speaker 8: The Wildcats will meet SEC rival Tennessee Friday night in Indianapolis. Around that game time around seven thirty five.
Speaker 1: Got seven SEC teams in the sweets. Correct. The best of the bunch, though, is Florida, no doubt about it.
Speaker 8: Bearcats are getting ready for that basketball at College Basketball Crown Tourney one week from tomorrow. Ken Brew in the afternoon April April, the first April Fool's joke there against the DePaul Blue Demons.
Speaker 1: How many of players that are involved in that tournament are still going to be with the teams that are involved in that tournament. Of course, the portal opened today. Will wait and see, we'll see Red's update.
Speaker 8: Of course, the Reds closed things out yesterday with a thirteen to two romp over the Guardians out west.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: The boys are back in town.
Speaker 8: They'll take on the Dragons, the Dayton Dragons in the Gym City tomorrow night. No, No, Tyler Stevens, He's gonna h Spencer Steeer is going to start the season on the I L along with the closer, Alexis Diaz.
Speaker 1: Tyler Stevenson. I don't think Alexis Diaz was in any danger of getting the closers role. No, I don't know. I mean we'll have to do the spring he had. I don't sure he heck, he was never hardly out there was he?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: No, but what he was it wasn't exactly whining. Correct.
Speaker 8: Bengals update brought to you my good Spirits, wine and party Town. Thirteen convenient locations in northern Kentucky. One month, one month ken Brew until the National Football League Draft.
Speaker 1: Man, I'll tell you what, I can't wait to get into the analysis of fifth round draft picks. That's what I'm living for. Bengals pick US seventeenth. Overall that day, seg when you want to get down and party, what spirits and liquor do you use?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 1: Probably Coca Cola and doctor pepper, Is that right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You don't drink no ever, No, not even maybe just on New Year's Eve. H No, I'm usually in bed. Not not even when you and Denise are celebrating an anniversary. Probably not.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: Oh, I was a little hesitation there. No, okay, so you're a teetotler. Yeah, okay, Well that's all right. That's fine.
Speaker 8: If I if they give me something that, you know, like Budweiser shirt or something, I'll wear it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Drugs, they got a they got a because of racing drunk SEG is probably not as good as a sober sig that I haven't tested it, but I'm sure it's probably the truth. Well that's what I'm That's what I'm about to go with right now.
Speaker 8: Soccer United States women's national team returning to the Queens City this summer, fresh off of winning that Olympic gold medal in Paris, The team will play a friendly match against the Republic of Ireland at TQL Stadium on June twenty ninth.
Speaker 1: We'll be the judge of that. Wait a minute, ken Brew, we have a special guest on his own show, seg Man. How are you? What are you doing here?
Speaker 12: I thought you had surgery or something. My first wife had surgery. It went well, and I'm here now.
Speaker 1: First wife, Yeah, what I.
Speaker 12: Tell her Every fifty years, I'll pick up another option. But I'm back, loud, proud and sassy with a bad attitude because of Sean Millers. Got me all that guy prostated himself like a seminary in at the cathedral in order to become the coach of Xavier. And the first chance he gets, boom, he's gone. It's got me all fired up. I don't feel good right now. My first wife's doing well. I got her home, got her position. I said, I'm going in talk to seg Man and the voice of the average man.
Speaker 1: I got a roast in the oven. I can leave now and you can sweep up till three o'clock.
Speaker 8: I don't know, ken Brew, he might as well. He might as well be a guest on his own show.
Speaker 1: That's a first.
Speaker 8: Well, good for you, so you picked up your wife's option. He picked up your wife's what what do you do now? A little surgery? Oh okay, Penny had the first lady had.
Speaker 1: A little searcher. Okay, okay, okay. And now she's doing well. And I said, I got to come in. I missed this.
Speaker 12: So head man onsence this morning at one o'clock in the morning, she's asking for she said, put me out. She will up and saw my fish. She said, what pills?
Speaker 3: What doc?
Speaker 1: Where are those pills? Give me some perkoset, take a couple of extra.
Speaker 12: But Ken, what do you think about Sean Miller like a seminarian prostating himself and saying, take me. I'm in trouble. Hey, three to four million dollars. First chance he gets, he's out of here. What do you think about that?
Speaker 1: Let me just tell you this, Xavier took him back cheated on spouses. Always think it will be better with a little counselor amen. I'll tell you this, Willie. That sounds like a local weather lady. But that's a different story. I will say this, and I've said it before, I'll say it again. Ding Dong. You will always care more about teams and players than they will ever care about you. Amen. Teams and players might be your passion, but to them it's only a job.
Speaker 12: Coding my according to my sources, in Austin six years, eight million dollars a year. Now, would you go work somewhere for like fifty million dollars? Wouldn't you be loyal to the school that got you out of the garbage dump and put you in the big chair and then that someoneould come?
Speaker 1: Wouldn't hell, No, I wouldn't go ken. Wouldn't you stay right here? Absolutely? I'd stay here fi ten million. I've chased money before. At the end of the rainbow, it's just money, that's right.
Speaker 12: Speaking Chase, if you've seen the vis of Jamar Chase and the great Number one in Miami and they're quarter million dollar Lamborghini's racing through the streets of Miami one and five, I think they were.
Speaker 8: I think they went to the NASCAR race down Off yesterday. Yeah, I think they think they finished fourth and fifth. The Bengals can't be happy money, time and.
Speaker 1: Money is always a bad combination. Will he time and money? They're young?
Speaker 12: They got between the three of them they have they have a half a billion dollars between the three of them.
Speaker 1: Look now that we're here, and this is kind of like, uh, yes, yes, I want to exactly every time you go to Florida, how much money do you come back with from the octagenarians you beat out of their retirement funds down there.
Speaker 12: The Great Bartosic and the Flying Tune as we play a dollar point game and five five ten, I've come back with an extra thirty six dollars and I feel like I feel like a big money, big money. They're changing the subjects by Sean milly Ga tour and segment told me there's a chance that Mick Crow and make coda zab no, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: You know what well Tate Baker did both years ago. Well, there'd be there would be a seismic hole on Victory Parkway that would prevent any Xavier fan from going there if shows up at But I got a source telling me it's not Chris Mack. What the can't say, can't say. I don't think it's Pat Kelsey. Could be Pete Gillen, Pete Gillen, Bob Stack, bad Mada. Bring him he's a butler, so bring him back. That's what Well, I'm just saying that'd be funny. Peterel has a coach in fifteen years, what neither Sean Miller? They keep losing. Wait a minute, I heard you say on this show that you allegedly host. By the way, thank you for filling in for me. Uh the uh that you think that Sean Miller's teams get better as the season goes on, And they do. Did I say that? You said that, so we must be a good coach. Oh, how'd they do in the last game? They played well, not good, They didn't do good in that game, but I mean they did get better as the season went on. The guy can coach. His loyalty is a you know, an issue, but they can coach.
Speaker 12: And the Illinois game, they were one hundred percent from the free throw line, Yeah, fifty percent from the field. They had one of their guards was eight for eight from threes, and they had forty rebounds.
Speaker 1: Now, how do you beat that team? ILLINOI then coughed it up against Kentucky. Yeah. Well, I mean the guy that gave you twenty two against Texas gave you I think two in that game against Illinois. And Zach Fremantle was a blank against Illinois. That's why that was well.
Speaker 12: I just I just have hope that maybe Sean Miller will reconsider before it's too late.
Speaker 1: Come home, honey, all is forgiven. It'll be much better with counseling. Come home.
Speaker 12: I had a choice of spending time on my first wife today or with you two, and I chose my first wife. But now she's home, resting from christ Hospital. She's doing well. Well, he just do a little cameo appearance here. I want to come in cameo commercials to do. I got ten thousand commercials.
Speaker 1: God never led a good illness to a loved one standing the way of making money. I know that's you're bought. A man's gotta be with his woman in need. I gotta, I gotta go because I gotta get Rocky in here, because I've got a couple of questions for him. Good.
Speaker 12: I'm glad segment. Please get us into then out of the Stude's Report.
Speaker 8: Will you and honor of yourself making a cameo surprise appearance this afternoon, Yes, thank you, ken Brew, You're welcome.
Speaker 1: We leave you. We leave you for the immortal words of the Stooge Report. A seven hundred WLW the climactic moment of the broadcast day is about to occur. Standing By to join me is a man whose loyalty is unbounded. Standing by to join me is a man whose money far out weighs his security. Standing by is a man who has never been bought. And so, except, of course, an NFL free agency, Let's bring in Rocket j Boyman, Rocky, how are you on this glorious Monday. I'm doing good.
Speaker 3: Ken.
Speaker 1: Is this a shot at at Sean Miller in his exodus? Yes, you said he never leave, and he left. You said on this radio station, he will never leave, and yet he leaves.
Speaker 4: It's funny.
Speaker 13: I mean there's countless soundbites of coaches talking about loyalty and playing for the you know, the the school and the alma mater and the all the players that came before them, and they're usually the first ones that are on the first ticket out.
Speaker 1: So I don't know if it's a I don't think it's Sean Miller.
Speaker 13: I think it's a product of the system, and I think it's unfortunate, but it's the way it is.
Speaker 1: You know what happened, You know what Sean said, and he left. Well, show me the money and show his players the money.
Speaker 13: I think that's even more so the fact is that they have what ten to fifteen times more NIL money than Xavier does.
Speaker 1: The last number we got out of Xavier on their NIL was two years ago and it was one million dollars total in Texas two years it was fifteen and a half million, and I'm sure that number has only gone up. I contend that it will be very difficult for a non football school to ever ever compete with large state schools when it comes to great talent football. Certainly football, they don't have football teams, but basketball football drives everything. Football drives allegiant football drives NIL, buys players, players, wins championships. And all of these basketball only schools are these mid these mid conference teams and pick a conference, any conference, big twelve sec acc they're going to They're never going to be able to compete. That's the way it's going in college athletics, and it's rockets never gone back.
Speaker 13: You're right, it's not going back because now the power schools, especially the top power schools, know that they have the abundance of money and they're not going to let that chip go because they know if they recruit and they have a couple of needs at a couple of positions, they can go out and pay top dollar for that. You know, that great player that's at a group of five conference. I mean, look at the MAC and football. I mean, they could never recruit four and five star players at an abundance, so they had to recruit a three star player and develop. And well, now that three star player gets developed for two years, lots of blood, sweat and tears go into that, and then they transferre to a to a power for conference.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, it happened to Ohio University last year with their quarterback, right that work? Yeah, yeah, and he winds up going to Indiana. Well, you know, fact of the matter is coaches have had free reign to do whatever the hell they wanted career wise forever. Now players have it. So my sneaking suspicion is when this is all said and done, that schools will wind up paying players more than they'll pay coaches, always getting six sixty million dollars for ten years whatever. I kind of think those days are over. I think the money is going to go to players, it's not going to go to coaches.
Speaker 13: I agree, and you know, all it takes is a rich donor or ten rich donors that want to say, look, we don't we don't care. We just want the best players. Every coach I talked to these days says, the players don't care about the facilities or the new weight rooms and all that.
Speaker 1: It's it's what's the number. That's that's how it's going to be. What's on the show today, rock What do you? What are you working on? What are you talking about? Why should I stay and raptured for the next three Well, first of all, Eddie is out, but uh again, Yeah I think he still works here. I'm not sure. But Mike Petralia, how about that? Trags is going to join me three to six.
Speaker 13: We're gonna open up the show talking to Little Xavier and Sean Miller and n Io and Portal and that whole thing.
Speaker 1: And it'll be fantastic because the worst thing that can happen in broadcasting is for Rocky Boyman to be left alone in a studio. Damn right, damn right, have a good show as seven hundred w welw