Speaker 1: Salisbury did okay, let's do this Sewn Salisbury.
Speaker 2: To usc Troupes, longtime friend Shawn Salisbury.
Speaker 1: Dan Matthews, this is the Sean Salisbury show.
Speaker 3: One two curveball bounced softly up the middle charging Paine. Heatfield scholves a second for one Rogers the first. That's to score at six to four to three double play to get fromper out of trouble. Now the pitch and Paenia Rockets went deep to left, going back on it as Collins on the warning track looking up.
Speaker 4: And that ball is gone.
Speaker 5: Just did clear the fence. A three run hold ron for Jeremy Payna and the Astros lead at six to one. Painia's fifth of the season to two round ball for the right side of base hit.
Speaker 3: Payina scores al two. A big turn at second, but we'll stop there. East Sack Parades with an RBI single, third time he's reached today, seven to one. Astros first pitch a guyner DZ and he linesys over the leap of Capra down the left field line. Our two Bay scores right behind him is Parades. He scores as well. A two run double for Yiner and the Astros lead is nine to one, the kick in the one too, and that's lifted to left pretty deep. Dubond racing back as a play makes the catch on the jog on the warning track, and that is the ball game. The Houston Astros pour it on in Milwaukee as they defeat the Brewers nine to one to finish off their six game road trip on a positive note.
Speaker 4: Hi remember us, you know us?
Speaker 6: Well, normally we start about fifteen minutes earlier than we just did.
Speaker 4: But we are here. Now.
Speaker 6: You know, technology, sometimes it just happens. But thanks to Tripoli back behind the scenes, able to get us back here. So U no, no, no, I'm not Tripley's fault was the reason that we got back.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I don't know. I don't know necessarily whose fault it was, but who's counting? Yeah, But I just said I didn't know because when you walked in, you started saying, I can't believe triple he screwed this whole thing. Those words never once came out of my mouse. SA false. I'm saying Tripley would never do that. He's been on the show and never miss a beat. And here you are, bus tossed a him. It's the weirdest thing I've ever heard. You know that is that is textbook projection? Where were weird? You just all of a sudden thought it was, you know what, triple E. Better re introduce him to it. It sounded a little bit like, uh, maybe racist, Like I said that that never happened. It was his textbook projection. Walks out, frustrated, We're not is it one of those that's true? That's got to be triple hiss fault? I said, no, man, triple he doesn't miss I rejected. I rejected on premise alone. I want that to be on the record. I don't know, what do you think, dog? I mean, Dan's fairly you know what, what do we six weeks eight some weeks? So yeah, I think we're six weeks in TRIPLEY. I don't know, man, I don't know if he knows the landscape, the culture you and I got in this show. But hey, I think sounded a little it was sounded weird. Yeah, it was kind of sounded weird that he blamed it on you, but hinting at it, is that what you're getting? What am I doing? Like I said, I rechecked the premise alone.
Speaker 6: But anyway, counselor all right, I'll tell you guys what so we will go ahead take our normal what would be our first break of the show. We'll come back, we'll start to show off in earnest and technical issues.
Speaker 4: What can we do? So good work by you two like in earnest really nice nice Saint Thomas kind of get ready for college.
Speaker 6: Word, that's it. That's a college preparatory for a reason. That education really paid off. What can we say? So anyway, is the Sean Salisbury Show Sports Talk seven to ninety. We'll continue next.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 1: This is the Sean Salisbury Show.
Speaker 4: Load them up and get a comfortable where you're hammering him from the start and you got a big lead paying his home run. So yeah, man, we were begging for when you got both the same day, when you got yeah, great pitching performance, but win two to one or three to one, right, and now you got or you lose a game where it's seven to one or it's three to two, and maybe win one that one comfortable, aggressive, hell of a pitching performance by Fromber. That's what's maddening. You'll get that one and then you'll get one. It's like the Dow Jones part of it. But dynamic, precise performance by him that exploded and you got yourself will win and it was much needed. Need to say, I'm talking about the explosion of it and from er to go out at the same time. That's how the team I think we expected to look.
Speaker 6: If you really wanted to do the nitpicking part of it, this game kind of had everything. I mean because it had the good which was that where you know, you get the three run homer from Jeremy Pania and then you get the three runs there in the top of the ninth inning, but I mean you get the fifth inning, I mean is a prime example of that of you get the couple of runs. I mean, Zach Decenzo, what is it about this guy? Like I almost feel like, you know, because I've said when he does good things, my name for him is Enzo to Zenzo. You know, he just did that. That seems like it's a good name for him. But like something along the lines of like you know, the lizard or the snake or something like that. And where I'm going with this is his slides. I mean, this guy just has a way. I mean, remember you had that slide against Toronto about a week ago where you know, it looks like he's gonna be dead to rights at the plate, and somehow he just miraculously, you know, just exactly knows where to put the oven mitt like right there to the big body, to the back part of home plate to avoid the tag.
Speaker 4: And I'm just like, how the hell did you do that?
Speaker 6: And yesterday I'm thinking because number one, it was not only where it looked like the third baseman made a hell of a play at the plate. But I mean, you know, just you look back at the replay and it's a good job by Joe Spot and his staff to see that of saying, oh, no, no, no, he got in there, he's safe.
Speaker 4: And I was almost wondering.
Speaker 6: I was like, are they going to try to do the call stands and all of that just because they called him out? But I mean, it looked definitive enough. And sure enough they came back and they put the palms down and said two nothing astros, all.
Speaker 4: Right, are you? Which was a in the momentum starts to switch. I'm a big in game momentum guy, not a game to game momentum guy, right. Sure. The confidence that goes with it, that's that's the other part of it. Did you just mention the Astros in really good base running? Maybe maybe not a guy that bats the second right now, but everybody else sure good, it's smart, high eye Q the base running right. I'm just I kid, but yeah, and how big that body is is still you know what I'm saying, is he that's just that's that's my size doing what he does, nimble and can move and versatile. Kids, he's going to be a great player. Yeah. I think he just said to me he's got a makeup right, and he's physically imposing as well to to somebody else. And if they if they put it this way, if the performance matches the physical presence, nearing for a hell of a player. So, but that was that was a big win against a I think it's a good you know, if he ever does Milwaukee. Maybe it's the size of the market just doesn't get talked about. But they're always and it's a division as well. Yeah, I mean, but they're always around, sure, sure, always are.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 6: I mean I think a big part of that is I mean, what twenty eighteen they made an LCS but aside from that, they really haven't had much they I'll.
Speaker 4: Tell you what it's been and they've had more success, but it's been Toronto Blue jayish Yeah yeah, good, you know, bats and sure, phenomenal arms, that's right there. It's phenomenal arms where you're like every year we go in thinking, okay, this team's that. This is another after they when when Hater was there and they had all those monster young arms all the way starting guys pumping at one hundred ninety eight through the entire line, right, I mean going back to full stack Prince Fielder and Braun those teams. Yeah, that's exactly right. So then you start to roll forward and you know with the yellich is now they've had some really good talented arms and players roll through that and they're still there. So the kind of reminds me in that, you know, I always want to think Milwaukee Brews is an American League team because when I was growing up, they were right. But you just the Toronto were expectations and then sometimes we'll say, okay, we're going to temper them, and then they end up winning a division, hangar or making the playoffs. So they're they're kind of that's that feel where talented, you expect more and they'll hang around all the time, but then they just don't quite close it out.
Speaker 6: Well, I think it's also it's regional bias, as you mentioned that. You know, you mentioned the the blue Jays first, and then I said the Padres is the blue Jays, obviously they're overshadowed by the Yankees and the Red Sox that you know, the Pods, Yeah, Padres, Dodgers, maybe even you can throw the Giants in there too, But.
Speaker 4: You can throw Milwaukee into the weather Cubs and that's yeah, yeah, so but you're able to salvage a game in the series.
Speaker 6: But you know, like I said too, I mean this game had everything in that same fifth inning where then you get Brendan Rodgers to score on a wild pitch to make it three nothing.
Speaker 4: But then you get the dreaded bases loaded.
Speaker 6: Two outs, and you get with two outs to load the bases, a couple of walks and got that apt batch. Just it it angered me so much watching it live, where you get Yaner Diaz coming up there, the first pitch almost hits him and he swings at it and fouls it off, and I'm like, you just.
Speaker 4: Had two guys walk on five pitches to take to take the pitch.
Speaker 1: Then go.
Speaker 4: The frustration, and that just goes back into paying attention, especially a guy in his situation who's a catcher. You're thinking understanding the situational part of a game, even though you're at the plate, like you would call it if you were behind the plate bingo. Yeah, like a guy that. You try to get a guy to throw a strike. And what have we heard.
Speaker 6: About him all throughout this road trip? I mean, the Astros haven't been winning, but he and Jake Myers have been seeing the ball well and hit the ball wall right.
Speaker 4: So if you're doing the first part, you're seeing the ball well, shouldn't you recognize that ball's about to hit you? Yea, and the guys just walk, so don't swing right. Make it's well, it goes back to the Hey, what would your little league coach say? And when you're an on deck circle, make him throw your strike? Yeah, make it take it, throws your strike, you know, and you did, or you do the ninth hitter who was afraid to go to the plate and you're talking, Hey, it's okay, it's the balls there to swing it. Otherwise, if you don't like it, don't swing at it. Crouch down low in your stances and hope that the eighth grade pitcher can't hitch out. But in truth, yeah, you walk up prepared for that situation, and it was just because it was little league yoush of Hey, yeah, you know, make sure make sure he pintre throws your strike and walking around like a bugs bunny cartoon where keep walking if they're not going to throw strikes. But you know, I think that's part of the process. But you'll overlook that you're right. And this is the time when a game like that is when Joe spot can when I say, criticize this team because they just come off a big win, right and score a lot of runs as suppose if they'd got their brains beating in the game. It's like, well, okay, I don't need a browbeat them. So that's the time he brings up Okay, Jiner, let's think about the game situation Boom. Good coaching time when you where you can get their ear because they just had a good game. But you can coach them harder then because their their mind's not cluttered with oh gosh, we lost a game and we lost five or six or six or seven. So I would imagine you take advantage of that, But there's always something to find that's not what you want. But I'll take I'll take those kind of almal damn near double digits all the time. You give us that you don't even need all that give that this team go get on a run if they start swinging a bat like that.
Speaker 6: I was going to say, I mean, you put up nine runs, you feel good about your chances. I mean we you know, mentioned the record splits of when they score three or more runs, then they're what eleven and three, and then when they don't, their record is a little bit more shunder.
Speaker 4: Five hundred, right, yeah, by by a fairly decent amount. I mean, I think by the stat you read.
Speaker 7: So.
Speaker 4: Yeah, moral of the story is, put put up four runs, you got a chance to win it all. And when you get a pitching performance like that, that's when Frommer's at his best. You're going to get ground balls and you're going to get a very few guys on base other than a couple walks. That's that's how he went five five guys what he walked two or three but struck out his you know, he's still worthy of to nine ten strikeouts when he's got stuff like that. But seven innings, did his gig and got run support. That'll win a lot of games.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 6: Plus, I mean, we saw a few more baseballs on the ground, which it's like, if you're talking about that's from that's a problem.
Speaker 4: If the balls down like that and you're getting ground ball after ground ball and double play opportunities, that's who he.
Speaker 6: Is, for sure, for sure, So the astro is able to wine. Yesterday the Fred van Vliet deadline for the team option with the Rockets. It's been pushed back to next month. In the Texans resigned defensive tackle fully fought Akosi, speaking of fromber mean, let's talk about just how good that guy was yesterday and exactly what you needed out of him.
Speaker 4: We'll do that here. It is a Shawn Salisbury show, Sports Talk seven ninety Hey, Jbarn Barbecue, J bar M Barbecue. My guy's down there at twenty two oh one Leland Street. If you like a facility that's clean and got indoor outdoor entertainment, you can sit out there in a cool breeze at night, it's gonna get hot. You go back inside, do what you want, but you know, drink specials, food specials, bring your dog. Good always good events going on. So that's outdoor indoor you get doesn't matter if it's one of those days, man, there's gonna be a lot of people. It rolls through smoothly and quickly. They've got it mapped out and to perfection at Jbarn Barbecue. And then when you walk through the line, it's the best food. It's the best barbecue in the town. And so you would drive far and wide if you were me, and I would, and I do. Compare to where I live tw eat a jbar and barbecue, great customer service, great food. You get all the great food specials as well. You get the Joe A Spot of plate. You can get the Kelvin Samson plate there there, so you get the kind of hall of Fame menu, a hall of Fame wall. But they do great work over there. You don't need to have the sporting event at Toyota Center at the ballpark to want to go to Jbarm. That to me stands out the great food and reasons you drive well a long way to taste the best food around with a great atmosphere and great customer service, and the price is right. It's Jbar m Barbecue twenty two oh one Leler Street. No reservations needed. There are guys, they're my guys, and they're barbecues off the charts. Jbarm Barbecue dot Com.
Speaker 1: And we're the Shawn Salisbury Show continued. Do we need it with them?
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know. I'm just trying to get believe good songwriters. They are all right, and they do a lot of good collapse they do, you know, so I'll give them credit for that. Energet They bring some good energy as much I can say who got the bar in Nashville because they didn't have I was going to say that went south like that sound like a bad marriage. Who gets the family piano here? You know? And they had it all. I mean, everybody loved them. I mean I'm talking about yeah, their peeps. It it was good. It was good summertime bubble gum country music there to to us now what the Beg's were to us in the seventies, and then the Begs became classic. Oh my gosh, they were bubble gum then. Yeah. So it's like, you know, in the moment, you don't appreciate it. Later you do more than you can even imagine. Yes, but Ophelia Ophelia. Yeah, but I uh, you know Florida Georgia liked the breakups, man egos, politics, uh huh. I think that was part of the case. That was what they Yeah, and then then didn't you know you've got people you know, battling, no what, just but the comeback, if you'll make the comeback, it gets a good pr MoU make the comeback, you probably make double the money.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, like we saw it a few years ago with Motley Crue where they played their last show in twenty fifteen, I think. And then The Dirt, the biopic that wasn't a full on documentary, it was just you know, other people acting as them, and and that came out and that had people listening to Kickstart my Heart and everything again. So then finally Nikki and everybody were like, well, guys, and be honest here, there's some money to be made here if we want to do this. So they were like, yeah, yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 4: Best friends. Just sometimes that intensity'll give you even a better concert because you're like, you know, he's a little rage at it when you're talking about that, and you know there's just such a motley crew.
Speaker 6: What correct me up about it because I went and saw him play and they played here in Houston too. I do remember that. But like where people, Oh, Vince can't hit the high notes anymore. He's not twenty five anymore. That's why he reached puberty. So yeah, you can't go. He can't take his voice there anymore. Again, go, so you do have the female backup singers who will kind of like fill that in a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's okay, And that's fine, that's okay, you got it. Hey, you've got to play the hand dog.
Speaker 6: And when I and when we went and saw him, Mick Mars, who's like eighty now, so you see him up there playing the guitar, well, I mean yeah, I mean he just he looks like a grandpa up there, and he's just you know, he's got the tattoos everything.
Speaker 4: That's it. Let him shred that's it. There's no age limit on shredding. I wouldn't think so, okay. I mean I think the only age limit is the one that you put on yourself in that regard. Not good, I'm too old.
Speaker 6: Yeah, maybe it's Gary v who knows, you know, we saw him on TV yesterday. Maybe maybe that's something he'd say, or or even is it Tony Robbins.
Speaker 4: Would would even be him, could be all real tall. He's got a set of choppers on him. Sure does. Oh yeah, I don't know. It's like the family guys a picture of him up there. They asked who it is to say, well, that's either mister ed Or or Tony Robbins.
Speaker 6: And he put a He put a curse on Jack Black too. You know, I always love that, Jason Alexander, What did you do with my friend?
Speaker 4: Jack Black? Made him see the inner beauty in people? He does have some veneers, now he doesn't. He's veneered out, okay, but he's still motivational. That's all I care. That's it. I can see through the teeth, but yeah he can't. So but in truth, Dan, this, I don't know where we went with this rock and roll babet being break up? Yeah? You know he gets you in your fields hollow? Are you more of the did you like the dark haired hall?
Speaker 7: Is?
Speaker 4: He no hauls the blonde? Right? It's right the other way right? Think so I'd have to look it up. Who made you? Who bricked you up a little more? I mean when you checked about who made which? Neither? But I just really enjoyed their music. I mean when you looked at him, you said, man, watch one of those guys were there. You know, one's got the bust stache of the the blake jacket of the has got the feathered parted down the middle. But it's pretty much like one of those like, what what's your type?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Probably lot to the tables both. So would you take after take a right? When you check said, let me figure out what he and they're hitting the good bar A good good look at that duet. But then you said, well which one off it makes you hoardy? Yeah, which was like I said, I would probably say neither, And I'm actually gonna go ahead and take this step further.
Speaker 6: There's no there's there's there's no probably in there. I'm just gonna go with neither.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I appreciate your music, but but why the world do you always tell me you were used to be attracted to part of down the middle feathered on the sides when that would happened to that? Why why don't you listen? Don't cheat the peeps? What you doubt me? During the break about man that hall guy with the feathered and party.
Speaker 6: Hey, what did Rocky people change? Actually, it wasn't rock that said that. It was a tweeter that said that. The John the box there there you go. You know, things change marks. Yeah, who that give people the reference? A lot of people don't know.
Speaker 4: Oh oh, our audience knows. Your tweeter is Festy Blues. There you go. James CON's son, Scott Scotty Kahn. Yeah, a little hawaifi. Oh guy, yeah he was, he was Dan O's right, it's correct. There you go. Of course, I just wanted to make sure, like if it was a Haul or Oats that you were you know, there they got you. You know, they moved your needle. That didn't sound right. They backed that up a little bit, moved the needle. I mean, if it works for you. Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 6: I'm not gonna They're both still alive, right, yeah, they're both still alive. And then I want to say, Darryl Hall just played here. I think Daryl Hall is the Blonde.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 6: I'd have to look it up, but he just played here. We gave away tickets. It was like a month ago.
Speaker 4: Then it just doesn't sound the same Hall without Oats. Now you know what I'm saying you have to have you have to have a little bit of that crooning ladies and gentlemen, Gladys Knight right without without pips. I was going to say, where the pips, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 8: Our girls silly called in and said Hall is the blonde one.
Speaker 4: There you go, yeah, Darryl Hall, right right, yeah, yeah. It was the Oats that probably, I think Oats breacked me up a little bit.
Speaker 6: I think what the issue was was, you know that you finally had Oates was like.
Speaker 4: Why is he always first?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Why does he first? And also like I think Hall sits in front of the pig. Isn't Oats the one standing up the time? Yeah? What?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 4: Are a complete buzzkill for Oates? I mean, yeah, Oates, I mean I can understand they probably call him otz probably. I mean I can understand his argument a little bit more than I could, like, say, like if the Heartbreakers had gone up to Tom Petty and been like, hey, why isn't that the Heartbreakers and Tom Petty because you're not the star of the show, because I'm Tom frigger Petty. Right, It's like I told you that this story. I think I've shared it on here of David Hasselhoff. I think we know who David hasse They do they do? They love, they love the Hoff.
Speaker 6: Then he became Mitch Buchanan on Baywatch, but that he wasn't very happy with this compensation with NBC when he was doing Night Writer. So his agent went to Brandon Tartakoff, who was the head of the studio, and was like, hey, my my clients, you know, feels like he's being underpaid. He's he's prepared to walk if you guys don't meet his demands. And Tartakoff looked at his client, or looked at his agent, and said, tell your client, star of the show is the car and if he still wants to be employed, he'll be on set tomorrow morning at eight am.
Speaker 4: And where was David Hasseloff right next to Kit on set at eight am, wearing the leather jacket ready to get inside Kit's right? Who do you think was who do you think pulled more Hasselhoff or enter prime? Pam Anderson?
Speaker 6: Oh Man, Well, I mean we've got you know, we've got the film on on Pam And I'm not saying that to be fun. We literally have the tape I'd go with the Hoff. You think Hoff pulled bar in Pam, Yeah, because of me. Hey, I know he's maybe hot. And Germans loved David Hasselhof.
Speaker 4: They do. I got to remind you that I'm gonna say Pam Anderson probably pulled more than hassel Off.
Speaker 6: I mean, she seemed pretty monagamous though she stayed with Tommy all those years.
Speaker 4: You know, I didn't say this is just all It's not did she go out and actually hoe out? I just said who can pull? Who pulls more? If they were if they were wanted to pull, who pulls more? Oh, that's that's not yeah said, that's not who was a bigger hole? Wanted to know. It's we always play the game of who pulls more? Meaning if they walked into a bar and he said, okay, i'll see you later on, who would pull more? Oh, Pammy Anderson. Yeah, it's not. You know, it's not about what their marital status. It's like if they were if they were pulling, who would pull more when they walked in?
Speaker 8: Our guys Scott called in. He said that Oates was a total leech. He said that Darryl Hall wrote all of this or most of the songs, so.
Speaker 4: He glombed on Darryl Hall. Hall's the whole king of the show. You're just here. Yeah, Oates is just a warm body. That's it. Just armonize and shut up that. He basically said, the breaking news hit the sounder. Hall did it all. That's it the shirt tomorrow, Hall did it all, and we'll have Oats over there like me like or or on Haul's back. You're back to the championship, yad man. I wonder what Oats's response to that is, Hey, you gotta know your role and play your role. I didn't know that about Ots was he was a real locker room cancer, that guy was. That's that's that's what we found we we now found out this. But this is such a buzzkill to me. A caller tells us that Oates is a leech. It was Robinson wanting as much as Batman, it was Luigi wanting as much as Mario Man. That's a taiale. As old as time cuts me deep, he was the one I thought I might have pulled the hot card. But let me get back to Hall. Okay, let me go back to Hall. I'm investigate Hall though.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, he's he's the glue guy happened. But you know, Oates, you just didn't really understand that. What can we do? We can we You can only help yourself. We can't help you.
Speaker 4: Look what a hal elks haul at Oates song led to? Yeah, and we figured out that Oates is a leech. This show rolls, this show rules unbelieves were off the charts. Hey, you know that Oates was a leech. That's great. We get the DOSSI on. I love it. I love it. I don't even have to watch the behind the music. I just got it right there.
Speaker 6: Anyway, let's get back into diastros conversation if you want seven one three two one two five seven ninety. Once again that seven one three two one two five seven ninety.
Speaker 1: He wasn't good.
Speaker 4: He was something else. We'll talk about it right here. Sean Salisbury show.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 1: This is this Seawan Salisbury show.
Speaker 4: He is uh. I think kind of an understated talent too, don't you? Oh?
Speaker 6: Very yeah, because I mean I think most people remember him for his more recent stuff of tears in Heaven, you know, because obviously for you know, an awful so emotional.
Speaker 4: I mean that's too, that's too real. Yeah, that's too real. No, what I'm saying is meaning that that's story is not made out of just making something like that guy that that was well too close to home for anybody.
Speaker 6: I mean especially too. I mean there's people out there who know that feeling.
Speaker 4: Absolutely sad, very so. But I can't imagine how you wrote the song.
Speaker 6: Well, I think that was part of the how you performed it, right, that's part of the therapy of it. Yeah, I mean it's kind of a way of like you to be able to, hey, this is this is me working through my grief right here and letting them know that I still think about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that's but the emotion to be just to get through, you know, with the three minutes or four minutes of the song tough to be on a on a more lighter note, the Thunder because I'm going to Vegas. Can I still get your season tickets? That can borrow them from the Thunder down Under? Could? I You've mentioned Thunder and I thought, oh man, I'm still gonna let me have his season tickets for one show. Yeah. I was tricked in the paper to a p s L for that one after.
Speaker 6: You know, Blue Man Group, you know, I'd only gone for so long.
Speaker 4: Tell the truth, you had that one in Blue Man group tricked you into, but it wasn't thundered out or you got I thought you well, you told me you used to have like in row ten, and then you decided you got to move up.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they gave me the options, so I went with it. And you know, I'll come from so I can go appreciate. I don't hate. I'm just I'm just making it because.
Speaker 4: I got my buddy from you. I gotta go got my buddy Vinnie from Jersey Shore on me too. Yeah. I mean season tickets, yeah, you know like Lakers Fenway Park right here at dyk In Park, little hockey, So maybe we Detroit wherever we want, Chicago maybe maybe even you know Buffalo Sabers right right have that. But then my favorite season ticket that we always talk about is your your thunder down under that. But those are I can't wait to youze them. I mean the way you tell I mean, I don't know how you. I mean, you've followed them around more than Bill's that guy again or actually no they're Australian. There's that guy again. But how selfish you've been with those tickets. Did how many times can you go? You got merch everything, send it numerous times if you want to go. Man, just to ask please, I wanna get out there. Don't give me all The lady wants to go see it. I know really wants to go see It's about more of my golf buddies. Yeah, it's like three years I've been asking for a ticket. You're like, no, dude, I go. I'm there all the time. I'm like, dad, share some thundered down under. You say, well I did. I moved my seats up to the first row. Hang out. You're said, that's one of the that's a that's a precious season. It's like the Masters. Well, I'll tell you I have a thundered down priceless about once they start playing, everybody's working for the weekend. You want to talk about how that theater goes into a frenzy. I mean you know, I mean you got you got season tickets. I can't wait to be frenzied. Man. I'll report back to you. Do we get free food down there and stuff? Or do we gotta go if you want to eat there? Yeah, especially in the first row.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was gonna say maybe maybe eat before you get your seats, get your seats and enjoy the show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but great, thanks for your I really appreciate your You're such a giver. Dad. Hey, you got to give the people what they want. And if people want, are they expensive? Uh no, they didn't send me back too much. Yeah, a couple of hundred thousand a year show. But hey, who's count right? You know you love that. I don't. I don't get into another man's wallet. Man, you know, tickets. Yeah, I'm with you, man, But thanks, I appreciate it. I'm looking forward to going and seeing it.
Speaker 6: Hopefully, get get some get some good eats out there, some good drink, you know, maybe maybe a couple of table games there, and then go see Thunder down Under.
Speaker 4: Is it's a good trick? Is it worth going twice? Or sh I just go once? I think once you've seen it once. I think I think you've seen it enough. You know, speak for yourself to that's it. That's it. You know, some some have their vices. What can we say? Well, I don't hate you for it? No, no, how could you?
Speaker 6: Anyway, Well, we'll get into some astros discussion here and also be able to squeeze in some of the other things that are on the topic list here today. So we've got all of that right here at seven o'clock hour on the Sean Salisbury Show coming up next day.
Speaker 4: Sort of pro painters, my guys, sort of you know, I was leaving my home this morning and I thought, you know what I think I'm it's about time for a little exterior not even redo places they haven't even touched yet, although they've done interior. Next here at my home as a customer first, just a little touch up some things I need to get done. Curt of pro Dale, if you're listening, I know you do need to make that appointment, so on, get your guys out there, listen. Sort of pro painters. Each and every sort of pro business is individually owned and operated. It's sort ofpro dot com for your free estimate now, whether it's the interior X tier of your home. But don't stop there. You know you want to change the color and they think, oh man, this pops with discouch. Still know what paint, the brand of paint, the style to make it look the way you want it to. Even though if you're a di wire, doesn't it always help somebody who's a little more expert at it to direct us. And that's why curt of Pro should be doing it right. But don't stop just at your home. What about your business. You want to enhance the look, you want people to come in and when it's inviting that curb appeal matters with the paint job just as as much as does, if not more, with the flowers in your front yard. And sort of pro well, let's give them their flowers. There's nobody better. I will not call anybody else to paint anything outside a cert of Pro and that's because their customer service and they care, they're local, they are timely, they will get it done and treat your home like it's it's their home. That's how efficient they are. Love them interior exterior. It's expensive down a home in a business, so protected with the quality painting assert of Pro Painters, it's sort of propainters. Surtterpro dot com for your free estimate, it's sort of pro painters that's painting happy, and it's sort of with the.
Speaker 1: Cea ch iHeart radio station.
Speaker 4: And the Rocket.
Speaker 9: Sports Talk seven ninety your Home for your Home teams.
Speaker 10: From the Parsons Imagine Next Studios, Salisbury.
Speaker 1: Salisbury, Houston. Okay, let's do this Sewn Salisbury.
Speaker 2: To usc Troup, longtime friend, Shawn Salisbury.
Speaker 1: Dan matthewscuse. This is the Sean Salisbury Show.
Speaker 6: The Astros nine to one winners over the Brewers, salvage a game in that series off today, Rockets pushing back their deadline for a team option on Fred van Vleet to June twenty ninth, and the Texans bringing back their top run stuffer defensive tackle fully fought a Cassi back on a deal se one three, two and two five seven ninety the number two get in the front Sean. I hadn't really had a chance to get much into that this morning, but I threw it out on Twitter yesterday, where I've numerous times used the hashtag good Fromber, and it's like, hey, we need good Fromber today.
Speaker 4: That's what we need. Good Frommer's what thirty million dollar pitcher. Good Fromber will get you paid. Yes, absolutely, good Frommer gives you a chance to win games. He's getting ground balls, maybe a couple of miss swings, you know, all of those things. That's that's good Fromber. Yep, he was great Fromber yesterday. Ye gives hashtag great farmer and the fromber that John Smoltz thinks is as good as there is in baseball. And the problem is John also loves the right hander that comes after. And John's pretty I don't want to say critical, but but I I the best in the bit and why wouldn't he be?
Speaker 6: It's the old I know how to do it, so of course, don't you think I know what I'm well?
Speaker 4: He also knows how to do it as a starter and a closer, and the approach of mechanics is a golfer and a pitcher the broadcast new studies every team and everything and a freak show fanatic on preparation, and he knows how to teach it in short period stints in between pitches. Right, So he loves him, I mean obviously. And heck, if Smoltzy was the guy giving us the you know, making the final vote on the one two you want your lineup for your lefty righty, I got news for you. There ain't three teams rolling by without him missioning this team when they're at the best. He thinks both of them are frontline aces, right, and that's saying something. But the guy you saw yesterday is the guy that that's the maddening part of it for me when I see it, I've now got the ten carrot diamond rings sitting in front of me man or whatever, you know, the pot of gold, right, and then I'll see the other side of him, And that's the side that makes you go pay one hundred and fifty bucks an hour to lay on somebody's couch and say, talk me through it. This guy's so good. How we're the lapses And I'm not talking about the one. Hey, you roll into Fenway, the winds blowing out, you get a few pitches up, and before you know it, you're down twelve to one because they're having one of those days. And they're pretty good, right. Who doesn't have that. Nolan Ryan will have one, Bob Gibson will have one, Randy Johnson'll have one. But by the third ending you're like, dude, you just still have it today. Well, okay, those happen. It's the frequency of the the extremes. Right now, he'll eat innings regardless, but the extremes of and you know when his emotions get a little sideways, right, And if you ever were to match the emotion with the fluid wind up and the strikes and keep the ball where he's thought to where he wants if that would have met that poison comm when he pitches it first, you feel really calm because you think, least the ball stand in the ballpark, right, And so there's that calm if is if that part of his emotion when he throws a bad pitch, Okay, he gave up home run, it's all right, and just gets right back into it. When those two if they ever come together, or I can take it. I mean, there's some guys that you can look at and say, Okay, that guy, just the way he goes about his business, you know, oh, give give him a little bit of a hundred browns of that part of it, right, and because that farmer's not far off from it. But it's those little things that I think mess you know best. It's not even the big thing. It's not like somebody hit two grand slams off. It's a little stupid stuff, and it's like, and I can raise my hand of that in a different way. I had a time and I went to it and I don't know why dan it hit like in the early middle of my career, right, maybe even early. Is that all the things you know you do and you can do, and then all of a sudden you go into a little slump where you're like not pulling the trigger, squeezing it too hard and as a quarterback saying, there's no difference. So you're pared by analytics, right, and you're overthinking everything and I couldn't. There's a period of time where it was like, you throw a bad ball and the old the guy a week ago, it's a call. You know, we get the yips too, right, like a putter. The guy a week ago would have said, I don't I'm throwing a second one, because I've always had a little bit of a gun slinger approach to playing shocker, right. So but then that then it got the point of going over there, mulling it over. How'd you miss that curl route that you'd make the throw in your sleep, And then the next time there's a flat route and bloom, you'd open too far and yanke it into the ground or miss a little high, or the guy catches it but it's a little behind him, so it's a catching attack instead of catching a run for a first down. Now we're hunting, and so you go through those things and it's like, man and I let those fester as opposed to moving on and the cheesiest you know what's bigger, the windshield or the rear view mirror, the windshields to look through. That didn't get over him fast enough for a stint of time, and then you wake up one day and say, this isn't happen anymore. I got to go back to being me and you hopefully do right. But that's him that if he just would get out of his own way and whatever that is. You have two cy young candidates on this team, legitimate I'm talking about lights out in the you have. I'm not comparing him in their careers, but you have the same high I was gonna say, Heisman, you have the same cy young feelings you had with Verlander and Cole on the same staff that either one could win it any year they pitched. Sure, they're not there yet with the length of their careers, but you get my point right, and you have that, and if you get that from fromber everything else becomes easy for the rest of the start. I'm just convinced he is such a key to this because you're running him out there. I mean is you see this stuff for me yesterday? You can't RESI the dangling carrot of gosh, this guy's so good. And that's going to come a problem when they decide if they don't know, if they're sitting on the fence. That's what they're gonna have to deal with in these negotiations. Is he worth it? Is he school? Is he that guy where he's a dominant left hander in baseball? And can he sustain it? That's what they know he can. Can he sustain it? It's the big deal. Well, it's also I.
Speaker 6: Mean, there's a couple of different things that will get him to have his flare ups out there. Maybe it's a borderline pitch that was called a ball, and sometimes that sends him behind the mound where he tries to compose himself and you're like, oh, I hope we still get the dominant guy when he gets back up on the rubber.
Speaker 4: And then the other one was how fitting is it?
Speaker 6: It seems like every single one of his starts he has one of those tappers up the third base line about halfway up, and it's just like, ah, that's what kind of like, you know, it annoys them, you know it like he either throws it away swinging tapper.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then sometimes he'll grab it and wheel and throw it into right down down the right field line. But then yesterday he gets that, he gets that ball, fires off the mound and throws him out and they, you know, go to replay and still call him out. And I'm just like, you know what, I can't think of a better way to end today. Like as soon as that happened, I was like, seven innings, he's done, get him out right right and then and he did his thing, and he did his thing all all seven innings. So impressive. That guy makes you that guy, that guy right there says man paying before he hits free, you know, of course, but that's gonna be a decision they're gonna have to make. They if that's the guy you get ninety percent of the time or eighty percent of time, he's gonna make thirty million bucks.
Speaker 6: He's gonna I mean, it's one of those you know, difficult that you hear, you know, front offices talk about all the time pitches like that, and we get the majority of that for.
Speaker 4: The rest of the way. Put it this way, regardless of what happens here, somebody is going to throw a huge load at him because he's a lefty. The huge load. Yeah, let me back that up. Throw a huge load of cash at him. What do you mean cash or something? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, back it up, bron I was talking about. Back up that Brinks truck right to get paid at the back. He's gonna get the bag, right, He's going to get a big bag, whether it's here somewhere else. Even if he doesn't pitch cy young basement, if he pitches just decent the rest of the year, he's getting paid because he's a lefty. And you've seen flashes of more than flashes of oh my gosh, brilliance. So he's getting paid. The question is how much and where you want to make it to the show?
Speaker 6: Start throwing left handed or if you are left handed, start pitching.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and keep the ball down yep. And when he does that, you don't even have to throw. Now, if you're one hundred and five and you're Randy Johnson or Undtherd three that God bless you could throw strikes.
Speaker 6: Be that guy now, But I want to heads put the bat away. You want to make forty million dollars a year, do you want to try to hit a home run Every once in a while. I know another club you can cut a home run out if you want to hit a home run and yeah, or head on over to the driving range, pick up a seven iron and start beating balls.
Speaker 4: There you go. That didn't sound right either. We better get to break Now I'm backing up. You're going to get the load of cash and now we're beating balls on the range. There you go, there you go. Unbelievable.
Speaker 6: All right, this is a segment that I almost kind of feel like we can just call we found another idiot because this is Yeah, it's on a daily basis. Trust me, We've got plenty of them. It's right here. Sean Salisbury show.
Speaker 4: Sort of pro painters sort of with a C, sort ofpro dot com for your free estimate. Each and every sort of pro business is individually owned and operated. You want to dress up your home, give it a new fresh look for the spring. They can help you pick out the paint local and they're timely, and they'll treat your home the way it's supposed to be, like it's their own when it comes to making it look good. Don't just stop at the home. What about the business as well. Interior X. Here you've got a group that's going to do it right and a company that cares. As a guy who is a customer of sort of pro I'm so glad I chose them over my DIY because it looks great. And if there was anything wrong they had to come back and fix it. They didn't have to. That's how efficient they were. It's sort of with the Sea sort of pro painters. Listen, it's expensive to own a home and a business. Why not make it look better. It's a pretty simple concept, right, and they can help. And twenty five hundred dollars or more spent on a paint job at your home. Twenty five hundred dollars did you spend that or more? You get ten percent discount between now and May fifteenth. Spend twenty five one hundred and more on your home the paint job Interior Xterior get a ten percent discount between now and May fifteenth. Don't miss out on that great sale. It is curt of pro painters, sort of with the Sea, curt of pro painters. That's painting happy.
Speaker 1: The Jean Salsbury Show continues.
Speaker 9: All right, Sean, what are you hearing out there now this sALS URIs takeout sells brief takeout on the Sean Salisbury Show.
Speaker 6: It is a Sean Salisbury Show, Sports Talks seven ninety Astros, nine to one winners.
Speaker 4: Yesterday with the Brewers in Milwaukee.
Speaker 6: They're off today, Fred van Vliet and the team option deadline was supposed to be tomorrow. They're pushing it back to later next month. And fully fought a Cassi back to Texans on a one year deal. All Right, Sean, As I mentioned before, we stepped aside momentarily that we could pretty much call the steakeout now today's version of someone's an idiot, because I mean, we seriously get it every single day, and in this case today an international idiot because dateline here we go to the Philippines and this was a story through the Daily Mail. A twenty nine year old hops over in enclosure at a zoo attempting to take a photo with what he thought, at least to what his words were, was a fake alligator. He hops over the fence, gets in and there's a little pond right there and he decides, all right, I'm gonna take out my phone.
Speaker 4: I don't know if he goes vertical. I don't know if he goes horizontal.
Speaker 6: But then, you know, thinking to himself, all right, hey, you know, I'm gonna take a nice little selfie of me and the fake alligator. The alligator was not fake. The alligator then decided, Hey, that arm you got right there? Right or left, I don't really care. Kind of hungry. They fed me a little light today.
Speaker 4: Well, guess what you're new. He's no longer hungry. Oh, he is no longer hungry. That's the alligator just decided. This was in the Philippines. I was going to say, you were going to say Florida. You wanted to say Florida, but that probably will be some people.
Speaker 6: But the second best odds was Louisiana, Mississippi seems to kind of float under the radar for that.
Speaker 4: I got him right around my crib. I am we got him here too. Yeah, they're everywhere, So I uh, that's not real smart. But I guess that lesson learned. I would have think so I would have very much the hard way. Or I guess with his arm, I mean his arm is still intact. You still got the arm.
Speaker 6: But the alligator then decided, because what I have to believe the alligator was trying to do because people think, you know, oh, alligators they swallow people whole. Eventually, I think they get there. But what they do is they try to grab you, drown you, and then start to go to work.
Speaker 4: On It's the smartness of them. They're gonna They're gonna take the easy battle, right you, squishing and squirming and fighting back. But here's the other part of all of this, is there stupid people out there.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, yeah, that's that's a given on it. Fifty stitches is what he got. He's lucky, that's all I was gonna say. Yeah, and you think that's one of those two, either the nurse or the doctor whoever stitching them up that you know, if you've ever been to the doctor, like when I was dipping and I used to go to the dentist and I'd have the dental hygienist, you need to quit dipping.
Speaker 4: I'm not trying to be a mother to you.
Speaker 6: And I'm like, well, then how about we just clean the teeth and then we can just keep it moving here?
Speaker 4: You know, Yeah, this is one of those when they go in there they're stitching up saying you know what probably. Yeah, don't do this again. If you learn a lesson, you're lucky. It's fifty stitches and we're not putting a fake arm on you a different leg.
Speaker 6: Or or even you know. It seems like he needs in his life. He needs a John Dutton. Remember when Jamie gets hurt, like either on a bull or I.
Speaker 4: Forget what he what it was bull riding. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, Jamie got hurt bull riding and Dutton tells him learn the rope.
Speaker 4: I'm not paying for this twice, right, that's exactly right. Now, he chewed his ass out? What did he What did was that when he was in the hospital bed. Yeah, he was went in there and visited him, said boom boom boom, got it, Just don't do it again. Yeah.
Speaker 6: And then Jamie of course tried to get on the Bucking Bronco got hurt again, and that's when John said, you're going to the four sixes. I have no use for you here anymore. Then he became a man, He became a cowboy. They turned him into the real thing.
Speaker 4: That's it. Where's that real ranch exists? Where is it that shared his ranch in real life?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I don't think it's far from San Saba, but the hell San Saba. It's like northwest Texas. Okay, so on the way from here longer? Oh no, like what you said, West Texas? Yeah, northwest okay. So yeah, hey, we're headed towards the Lubbock and then that route mid Midland Odessa. Gotcha out there in true oil. Yeah, I mean it's the rolling plains, it's all of that. So they're out there. But that, yeah, that's exactly right. So lesson learned in your fortune. Fifty stitches. It'll make for a good story, but the second time that that happens, it probably won't end in fifty stitches if you're an idiot. Here's the thing that I can't get out of my head. Here is because you know this was a human doing this. That happens all the time, and.
Speaker 6: That part doesn't shock me, right, but it's We've been to Houston Zoo for example, right, I've been there numerous times as a kid.
Speaker 4: All all of that.
Speaker 6: When whenever you have a fake animal, are they ever in the enclosure? No, they're right there near the enclosure. Like if it was a fake alligator, well then it's right there. And if you're really so hard up to get a picture with an alligator. Do what me and the missus did when we went down to South Florida. We did this off to her and then they bring one of the tape mouth shut little baby alligators.
Speaker 4: You get a picture with it. It's in truth, in no rush to get the picture. I mean if if you do and somebody's got one with it, but then with the mouth shut, it's like, well that takes away the excitement, right, So let's see if I can get the picture in before I get my shoulder chewed off off. Yeah. I just there's a little common sense. I mean, there's a lot of things people do for memories. I can file that one in my mind. I don't need the picture to show it.
Speaker 6: I can get the selfie behind the enclosure.
Speaker 4: Sure, there you go. You know if somebody, hey, look at your thumb's pointing back at the in the enclosure, hints they're in there for a reason. Yeah, that one you mean? Yeah, okay, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's that's that's where can get I don't I don't have to have the lifelike experience right there. I don't need to be sometimes a lifelike lifelike experience isn't what you want. My little brother, we were living in Arizona and we had lived out in the country. When I say the country in Arizona was out. We had a couple acres, right, we have horses and pigs and chickens and on a farm. And there's a hand there are people everywhere, you know, every couple of acres. And one had some like monkeys on their farm. You know, they had they had a farm, but they also hadn't close monkeys. Awesome, and my little brother, dude, we went up there close. You know, they'd let you go around and look around.
Speaker 4: And another neighbor had like fifty stray dogs that kept trying to eat your chicken. So you can imagine what that was like having around with my old man and and so go and you're looking over there. You know, they got kind of a mini little mini little zoo right farm monkeys. My little brother it was like five or six time stuck his uh, got his head too close, turned around, the monkey grabbed him by the back of the hair. Dude, And I'm telling you now there was you wouldn't fire would to have happened to finally let him go That monkey and you know when they get you in your grid there there are they can be mean. And I right there and he was, and I mean he screaming and yelled, and you're you're trying to get away with the harder you try to pull, waiting for somebody to come out. And I'm telling you that monkey was not letting go. Finally they came. I got I mean chunk of hair. Thank good as the kids small, but I'm telling you the fear factory there might have been even the fear that hurt worse of the pulligue of the hair, because there's only so far you could pull it here that the cage right, and my brother's going crazy, and the morals is there's always that I'm not going to quite get as close to the cage because they're too athletic and they moved too quick. And then they're looking at you while they're doing it, like test me. You know what I'm saying. You don't want to hurt the animal, but you're like, you're you're scalping my kid. You know that's that's the monkey or the chimpost, not my kid. It was my kid brother. But yeah, you're you're scalping my brother here he's going crazy and up and said, you're backing away like my hair involved. But that's what we all had full heads of hair. That's that's the ape telling you I'm your boss. Yeah, I'm your boss, and they look at you and Daria. It was crazy and he never got close to a cage with the monkeys in it again, but Lesson learned at an early age.
Speaker 6: I mean it's like, you know, if you watched the Joe Exotic on on Netflix. I mean one of the ladies had their arms bitten off. Yeah, and then I mean he gets attacked a few times.
Speaker 4: Probably probably that's they're then they're too athletics to make Tiger. What are you doing? Yeah, stay out of the lions that guy.
Speaker 6: Man, it's just the amount of red neckedness that was in that documentary, like Bunny.
Speaker 4: Bounds, there's no question about it. By the way, to our small business owners out there, Good week, isn't it National small business owners? I believe so all of them out there across and we we deal with a lot of them here, So shoutouts to just our love for them because they make it go. They're they're not getting shop small business, they're not getting shoutouts or shoutouts. They're not getting selfies.
Speaker 6: Another s word with with with what they believe are fake alligators and enclosures.
Speaker 4: No thes and they got something else said yeah to our small business owners and those involved, thank you man, love you guys.
Speaker 6: That's like when we did that thing in South Florida. It was funny of the guy. You know, if you ever were chased by an alligator, they tell you to run zig zag, he goes. Honestly, just once it gets close to just step aside, they'll run right by you. And I was like, I don't think I want to find that out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that's because at some point in time to practice it, you, I mean to get to see it, I actually have to practice it. Yeah. So if you practice it in one false step and you don't have a heel, that that's that that takes you to a whole new a whole new part process of you know, an Achilles injury. Not willing to risk it, brother, thank you, that's for real secret. Now, if I can get on his back and do that, we can try that. But I'm not going to wrestle with him. I'm going to leave that to somebody else. Who's a far dumber than me. I was going to say leave leave it, leave it too well. I mean I would say leave it to Steve Irwin. But yeah, too soon, too soon. Yeah, sorry, that's he's like, you got kids, you know, kids are off limits. Steve Irwin's off limits. Yeah, okay.
Speaker 6: I apologize to the crocodile hunter, his family and all the fans, and I give big ups to thank you. Look right, yeah, the big up, big ups to Steve. We see you up there, buddy, there you go, thank you. I like how your eyes went up there with some respect. Absolutely, absolutely you could go out. You can go over the line sometimes with Irwin. We're not treading there. Stay on this side, Dan, I try, I try.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 6: Coming up next, this guy's epic night had him feeling a lot of regrets about it.
Speaker 4: We'll talk about it here. Sean Salisbury show Jbarn Barbecue j M Barbecue, twenty two oh one Leland Street. So what do you when you think about a restaurant? Well, a few things coming to mind. Obviously location and they got a good one great parking lot, which is nice. You say, Sean, what's a big deal about a park lot?
Speaker 11: Go there?
Speaker 4: And see what the big deal is. You know, when it gets crowded a place to park, it's awesome, all right, Then why else do you go there? Well, customer service has to be good. It's a no brainer. Hoffe in the group greets you when you come in, and you'll feel like it's one of those barbecue places in your own backyard where you're entertaining. And he got the indoor in the outdoor. So the entertainment value of bringing your dogs on a Saturday. They have music going, they have certain events going on, drink specialist, food special it's all there. And then, of course what's as important as any can your food carry itself without worrying about location and worrying about having a baseball game across the street. And Jbarm Barbecue can got great menu, great sides. Go in there once and then once you go in there, you're gonna say, Okay, I may live an hour and a half away, I came to watch the Astros player, or now I don't need the Astros. I'm gonna drive because when my kids or family come to town, they've got to go to Jbarm. And that's the way I feel. And the very first time I walked in there. After I'd finished eating and dealt with Jbarn Barbecue, I realized, this is the best barbecue spot entertainment wise, food wise, and customer service in this city. Pop on in there. You do not need reservations. It's twenty two oh one Leland. It's jbar M Barbecue. Nobody better spend a little Saturday in there, get a little breakfast, taco boom, grab yourself some of the great great barbecue. Jbarn Barbecue dot com. Jbarm Barbecue dot com.
Speaker 1: We're bat there. But the Sean Salisbury Show continued.
Speaker 4: I mean it was. You gotta be awfully thick skinned, right, very much. I mean, it's real and the but it's also a roast at times, and you've got to be so thick skinned because family is not off limits at a roast. No, that's what I'm saying, you know what I mean. So, I mean, you could be the most sensitive over something that happened a week ago, like a divorce or you're separated, and they will hey man, somebody else banging you.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying. There will be They're relentless, and it's all Listen, the truth is it's all in good fun. The one thing we don't think about enough in a roast is the collateral damage to the other family if they're you know what I'm saying. If a kid's ten and they will what do they do with the dad ball? That could become a problem. But you know, anybody who's had that success, we all have the mahoney moments where it's like, Sean, you idiot, or you're laughing, just stupid moments when you were in the tenth grade with your four buddies. They all remember that time you run around your box, you know, stupid stuff right, and you make mistake, but they don't forget. I'll always remember the roast part of it. So I think they're cool as hell. But man, sometimes you're like, gosh, like, what's the comedian of the female's name? Yeah, I mean, I all in with it and zero zero regard for any the bodies that are strewed all over.
Speaker 6: And it's you know, it's anytime there's a celebrity roast, you know that Jeff Jeff Ross is going to be involved in it. And as soon as they introduced him, I was like, of course, it's like, that's what this guy does he's like the celebrity roaster. I guess I don't know, but anyway, and he's priceless too with it.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, no, I mean, look, you know, you know you're laying you stay in it. Well.
Speaker 6: Tom Brady was recently on the Logan Paul Impulsive podcast and he said he actually regretted doing the roast, saying, when you're in the moment in that theater that night at the Forum, it was electric, it was crazy, we got done, everybody was on cloud nine. Then I that's the moment that I think I will never forget, and then I will never forget when I talked to my kids the next day, and I felt a steak go through my heart, understandably saying that he felt like a blank up as a parent afterwards, which it's like, I mean.
Speaker 4: That's that's the collateral damage I'm talking.
Speaker 6: Sure, I understand that, but I mean it's also though, like I mean, some of his kids are not necessarily old enough, Like I feel like.
Speaker 4: His oldest twelve or something. Well, it's got to be his first child with Bridget moynihan, with Mohan, Yeah, I mean I think like their first child, Like, no, I want to say, like it's in college now, like to was he wanted to Bungeon? Uh, he was with her.
Speaker 6: I'd have to look it up, but I mean the majority, so the majority of his kids are with her.
Speaker 4: But and the majority of his other kid's life he was with Jaselle Bungeon and you know fathering from you know with I think that the child spends a lot of time with His oldest son is seventeen. Okay, so that's that's that's he and Bridget moynihan from you know the the What's the Blue what's the movie with Tom Seller? This show with Tom Selleck? What do we call oh blue Blood blue Bloods. It's a great show. Yeah, and she's you know the d A, now the DA she was mediated, so she's the boss. But she's on there. So that's there. So they have a teenage kid who was roast was two years ago or so something like that. I think it was about these two years ago. So you got to think of fifteen, you're in that fragile mole. You just are. And I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. I'm just I'm trying to take okay when you're saying it, you got to know it's your daddy's famous, but think about it. If that kid's fifteen at the time, the other ones are ten, eight, seven, whatever. I think two or three other kids that are younger kids are ruthless at school. Oh sure, and that's what you could be doing. You think you're doing great parenting because you missed one or somebody brings up something from your past that you've never explained to your ten year old and then they hear it at school because their dad told the mom, and the mom's talking to kid and everybody kind and not saying it's it's fair. But when you're that kind of celebrity, you put it out, even if it could be something really stupid, dan or so something that you like. But then you got to think of Giselle Bungeon, regardless of why they she made whoever knows, because she I'm sure got her things too. And is she having another baby with her trainer? Is that she having a baby. Isn't she pregnant with his kid?
Speaker 11: Now?
Speaker 4: I don't know, I think so, I thought so so. Whoever, the reasons why they got divorce isn't what I'm talking about, but the fact that somebody is sitting home watching it's not like us. It would take it with a grain of salt. That's the fragile age of fifteen year olds, right. And I don't know if it bothered him or not, but my guess is when Tom said that, it's like when you go back and you're sitting by yourself rewatching it. It's funny at the expense of you. But then you got to think, well, it's kind of self serving because now if you're outside the relationship, now it's not that funny, sure for a kid. And then you got to go back to explain and he started, Then you start to go through that self doubt, like there raise my kids, right that I miss and everybody's gonna miss on certain things about raising your kid. And I don't think it's that serious from our vantage point. But remember the reason he said it. Is it something about it triggered and bothered him, or he wouldn't have said I regret doing it all the laughs and stuff. So there's something deep seated on this that I'm not a psychologist, but you wouldn't say that if the lasts were fun and he got in the moment all the hype. But it's I always say, like when I tell kids about social media quarterbacks, and I'll say it every clinic I've ever done, or every camp I've ever been, or a parent, if your mom or your grandma, you'd be ashamed to let them see it. Don't hit send. That may save you a lifetime of regret, or may save you a scholarship. Don't hit send. And that send is a like button because somebody was holding a beer at twelve and joking around or holding you know, I'm talking about all those things, the appearance of being around it. Those people will your scholar. They will not touch you. So there's that there's that part of it that you know, don't don't hit that button. And in this when you're sitting alone, you're going those kids and they're ruthless. So I don't know why, but I do get why he'd say, you know what, after seeing then you go on social media and see all the com shack gosh, this can be misconstrued. And that's the unfortunate part about it. I don't think he's bothered for him. I think it's part of the perception of what comes out from a comedian being a comedian doing their job.
Speaker 6: I feel like, though, like once they you know, they get into their twenties that it is kind of going to be family fodder of like, you know, dad, don't forget I know this about you.
Speaker 4: Here's what happens. Yeah, you take it from a guy who experienced it a different way. Okay, but similar If you know what I mean, I got you. So you go through it. There's that period of like damn, hurt and all those and then as they get older they realize and then they start they start realizing, oh, I understand what it's like to be a dad or to be you know, to be married or divorced or today. Then you start to see it and they're grown enough to handle it and say, you know, I'm a grown adult too. I went to college, right right. They said they roll through that, but at that fragile age, there is that period. I'm I assure you Tom's apologizing at times or trying to miss you know how we tread lightly when you're dealing with your kids on this, because whether it's kids or X, peace is important and it's the collateral damage. The grown adults can handle it. It's the collateral damage for kids that may be the problem. You always want them to think as your priority that they are the priority and they should be so I would imagine he's going through that. See, even the greatest quarterback of all time has insecurities and fears and bothered because it paints it different and sometimes perception to the person that's feeling it, it's reality, even though it may not be to the outside world. But it's just the age thing. If you're thirty and you're pissed at Tom, get over it. You deal It's not your life, you're as you're not the you know, the family counselor or the rest of it. They'll deal with it. But then on the other side, I get Wyatt because to everybody on the outside he led the life of perfection, supermodel him, married kids, all the money, superstar. But even he had those of you come home and you don't want to talk to your wife. You know, everybody goes through it, and then when it's painted as some of these great comedians can. You got to be careful what you sign on for. Man. I'm just glad that because I mean, I think Bill was what Jordan then I'm just glad that Jordan didn't try to hijack and be like, oh yeah, I remember this would have been like, you don't even know the guy. You don't even know the guy off the stage.
Speaker 6: Now, I know some people are gonna say, well, neither did Tony Hinchcliff or Nicky Glazier. They're comedians, they're professionals, they're funny. You are neither of those things.
Speaker 4: So I just laugh at who are you talking about, Jordan Nuts, Oh yeah, yeah, I just for me, I can imagine. I can't imagine what it's like to have to live that life that everything you do is microscope everything you do, Jordan Brady Woods, you can't live this more successful you are, the less freedom and piece you have. Yeah, I get it, I know, I know. Listen nobody. So I'm sorry for a guy who's you get what I'm saying. Sure that there's still got to be that would it be cool just to walk into a movie theater not have to stop? And for those guys I'm talking about, there's got to be some parts that there is a price to be paid to be that good, well by sacrifices for family as well.
Speaker 6: You got the money by disguise. You don't get one of those mission impossible, man, Can.
Speaker 4: You imagine have to walk out of your thing every single time. Like that's my point is just when you and I can go out, nobody cares. They walk it. It's like it's an ordeal. I would imagine just to go, I gotta rent out the theater to watch a movie, right the Jason stathamsay, I mean, are you kidding?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 4: But the fact is you at the buddy to buy the theater. So if you're one of those guys, but there you can get. You get the price that that piece and that every everything your kids do, Oh you're so and so's dad and the pressure that has to be on them. Yeah, not easy, and kids are really they're ruthless. Yep, at that age for sure. For sure, we all went through it. It made us the It made us the people we are today. Carl, see you right there.
Speaker 6: We'll get you in on the conversation if you want to join in seven one three two one two five seven ninety seven one three two one two five seven ninety Dana Brown joining us nine thirty This Morning Today Here on a Thursday edition of The Shawn Stalisbury Show.
Speaker 9: Let the Celebration start war Sean Salisbury on Sports Talk seven ninety Carl, good morning man.
Speaker 12: That was a great monkey story. Tell Sean, because they bite two they're strong. But uh, they gave you a good experience. They didn't have glass on the cages or nothing.
Speaker 13: Little kids on our field trip went up to the page and the monkey bit the top of zero.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there you go. There you good story.
Speaker 13: But anyway, I called about how I think they're taking the human factor needs to be put back into to the NFL. Uh, you know on these guys, because look at Brady on nine pick sixth round and you know what his report was on the combine von weak arm and no athleticism.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how that turnout? Right? How that turnout? Yeah? It turned out pretty good for him.
Speaker 7: We go, Yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 4: We go old school.
Speaker 7: And you remember a guy named Steve Largin.
Speaker 12: I don't know if you remember that Wi.
Speaker 4: He was my teammate my rookie year. So yes, I know him. Well, well let me.
Speaker 13: Tell you you know him about the history Charlotte.
Speaker 7: He couldn't even hardly run a.
Speaker 13: Five flat forty bum Phillips cut him from the Oilers. In fact, get to an Allers training camp. Bum said to everybody, he goes, Hey, that was the biggest mistake they ever made. Getting rid of that little you know what, and.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you something about him. Still still the best route runner I've ever been around, Largin, still the very best.
Speaker 13: Yes, Oh, I'm just giving y'all. You know, I think they need to put the human factor in and stop relying on statistical things.
Speaker 7: And you know there's some guys.
Speaker 12: When I played football years ago, they couldn't practice for the gang, but on game day made them guys look like superstars, you know. But anyway, I'm just giving y'all that human factor. I think we need it back. And a great report about that monkey Shan.
Speaker 4: I appreciate you, Carl, thank you. And yeah, that human factor. I think a lot of us crave that, don't you. What's the scout's eye here? Dana Brown talked about all the time, But I mean, which made them It's become And I don't want to say easier. It's become because there's so much information. But maybe that's not easier. Maybe with too much information, it's too clouded at times for for anybody in a leadership position in sports, right, so much information to go through. You don't want to lose the human touch, but you need the information to at least give you because if a decision it's been made and it's eighty percent of the time, or in investing, if I told you eighty five percent of the time you're winning, You're you're gonna you're gonna get ROI what would you do? You'd be have a propensity to say, I'll lean there. Right, it's the same thing here.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean it just it kind of clears up the picture a little bit because I mean, numbers, it's not subjective. It is what it is, right, and it's it's those are that's evidence right, facts?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 6: So I mean you know when you have those, I mean that kind of feeds into it. But I mean the best to do it. They're the ones that are able to take all of that information and then come to some sort of an educated guest.
Speaker 4: There's no perfect player, and you know what else about that day? And it's also when you turn your back on that particular plan, not saying fully when you turn your back on the number says because you've got a guy on the mound and Hunter Brown's been through a bad inning in the six, but they say this guy hits three seventy against him, But the two previous at bats or three previous at bats, he's struck him out. So while the overall numbers say tying to get him out because the guy that's up next to bray you has struck him out four straight times. But then there's that feeling when you're on the top step, it's like, you know what he's going good in this particular game. This guy's pitching on his way through it and then goes and strikes him out. There is that feeling of sometimes you've got to discount a number, and that's where the field part comes in. But it's just avity. Now what you do with the evidence of the facts is on you. But the human element still comes into and the best your exect, the best coaches all around know their players and know their personnel, but they also understand the numbers. And when every now and again, we're all, i think, in sports and maybe in life, programmed to think that we're smarter than the numbers. And you make those decisions based on emotion sometimes just as long as it's not one of those desperate emotional moves.
Speaker 6: Or people tell you not to take a quarterback because you know, no Ohio State quarterback has ever done well, or oh yeah, that s two tests, it didn't do so well on it. I think Nick Cassirio is pretty fine with ignoring both of those talking points.
Speaker 4: My favorite thing is when somebody says you've had like three different coaches or coaches, and they say, don't draft the receiver from that school or a quarterback from that school because well, in the past they haven't been very good. Well, it's not the same coach, it's a different coach or a different coordinator, and it's a different player. Well because because somebody else struggled, I can't draft Sam Darnold, or because Ohio State fields hasn't turned out to be a great pro yet. But CJ. Stroutt, So I'm holding CJ. Stroud back because the guy who was at Georgia transfert Ohio State. I shouldn't to me each a. You got to compartmentalize or you're going to miss out on a lot of great players. And Ohio State only had like four undred guys drafted this draft. Yeah, CJ. Stroud was not Craig Crenzel. I think you got a chance that the one was a really good college player the other was both.
Speaker 6: You think that Craig Crenszell woke up today thinking he was going to catch a stray.
Speaker 4: I don't think, Yeah, why who in the world? Why why are you attacking? And in the process, didn't you say I hate Craig, Craig Kensel, Craig Krenzel And uh you think he woke up today? Why the stray from you? It's just you know, CJ. Stroud's better. What do you want me to say? So, I'm Crensull, nothing personal. I think Crensill probably probably listening was the like like he as a guy, like he's a guy, didn't like his players quarterback. Yeah, crens didn't deserve that. I actual this morning wanted he's got a ring? Yeah he damn right. That's much more than all. He woke up this morning, probably grabbed some coffee, maybe got the kids to school, headed over to his job, probably you know, probably running a finance company or something. He just he just got a text. You know, hey, this guy in Houston is yeah, man time and Crenzell's probably it's oh yeah, I'm listening, because he probably listens every morning. Yeah all right. Radio Yeah, precede iHeart Radio preset one Sean Salisbury show here on sports Talk seven ninety all that, but I would think think that Crensill probably his feelings are hurt this morning. Dah amazing. And then to tell me you hate him before you said that he wasn't a good NFL quarterbacks. Weird man. Sometimes my emotions get the best triple a, Yep, you guessed it, Yeah, you guessed it, or two for two per day to say it triple you know, same page. It's okay, Dan, hang on there, buddy. All Right, Crenzel's day has just changed because of you, and you know, try to leave people better than you found. All Right, I'm sorry. Eight clock hour is coming up.
Speaker 6: Let's get in a little bit of Texans because I think you told us everything without telling us anything.
Speaker 4: We'll discuss that here KB Houston.
Speaker 9: A HD two Houston, an iHeart radio station, the Astros, the Rockets, Rockets Beast before your home for your home teams. This is Sports Talk seven ninety from the parts since the match.
Speaker 10: Next studios, listen, Salisburysbury.
Speaker 4: House did okay, Let's do this.
Speaker 1: Sewn Salisbury.
Speaker 2: Salisbury to usc Troup's longtime friend Shawn Salisbury.
Speaker 1: Dan Matthews us. This is the Sewan Salisbury Show. It is a Sean Salisbury show.
Speaker 6: Sports SOX seven to ninety eight o'clock hour is here. Dana Brown coming up in about an hour and a half here for his weekly visit. Astros winning yesterday nine to one over the Brewers. The Rockets pushing back their deadline for a team option on Fred Van Vliet to later next month. In Texans resigning defensive tackle. Fully fought Acasi to a deal. But the Texans were a pretty wide receiver heavy in the draft, and we'll have a lot of new faces there on the field when they get out there for OTA's in mini camp here in about a week, which I think, actually, Sean, we're less than a week away from the schedule release in the NFL, So that means that I guess what May fifteenth, So a week from today, Oh, we're gonna be wall to wall every bit we're going. We're going Game one all the way to Game eighteen seventeen.
Speaker 4: However they play sure we are, Yeah, absolutely. Let me ask you, are you one of those guys who you don't want to do the list, you don't want to do the mount rushmore? You know all that you know actually is the weakest game games that's the one, you know. Yeah, well, I'd like to see if somebody gets hurt in training camp before I make a prediction on their season. Oh, they're going thirteen to four. Man, yeah, oh man, And then all of a sudden, Oh and Lamar pulls a ham he's gonna be seven weeks now, tell me they're still fourteen A for us, I waited to make my bet phone lines, what's your prediction? Exactly? One three two one two. We will not be doing that. And the mount rushmore of draft picks on the day after the draft. Yeah, is with uh now was up sitting here getting lost in the caught up and all the hype of the draft picks. Oh, with the schedule and all that. I you know, are you one of those guys that set your not talks about it? But do you like sit and watch everything? Do you go? Will you watch all that the schedule release because you want to book your flight and do all that like some you're not throwing a you're not throwing a schedule release party. No, okay, no, I'll get it. I'll look at it really quick. Hey, how many Sunday nights, Wednesday, Thursday Monday night game home games? Like a Christmas game something like that. That's that's about it. Even as a player, that's what I do. I'm not not really who we playing because I know I knew six of the games you were looking. Are we playing green Bay in late December? I'm not getting green Bay out a night game knowing you're going to be freezing your resets off, right? Yeah? Are we on Thanksgiving? Those who say, oh, we got three Monday nights, cool, It's gonna be a fun year. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I gotta tell you, I'm not getting tight pants about the week one opener at home against the Jags, because that's not rocking me up.
Speaker 4: Man. That's that's that's that's not getting me going it is. The only reason now is because I can't wait to see all the press conferences this year, for for for Liam Liam Cohen, the head coach. I can't wait to see his press conference.
Speaker 6: They got, they got, they got a building over there, don't they, Not only him, but also the GM. Now they're hoping that the cheese factor kicks in as much as Nick Sirianni's did and they go on and win Super Bowls, right, true, But I think the roster is a little different.
Speaker 4: So yeah, you'll you'll tune in just for those to see. Oh man, guess what, uh Liam Cohn is going to say something really dumb. I mean you or do some cheese. He did anything dumb. He just got into the Duvall enthusiasm and we're going to get their ass kicks by the Texans. Look, bad organizations continue to be bad organizations for a reason. It's not coach. It doesn't start at the bottom, it starts at the top. Uh huh yeah yeah, so yeah, the bond villain hopefully, well we'll see with a new GM and a new coach doesn't go in a differ you know what I'm talking about. With the GM's little soliloquy he went on at the beginning of the Travis Henry press conference right regularly where it was just like, did you like rehearse this in the mirror or something, or like did somebody look it over and be like, man, that's an impassioned speech. That's really good. Yeah, go with that, Travis Henry. No, the Travis Henry.
Speaker 6: Though, Oh I say, Travis Hendry, I'm sorry, Travis Travis hen right, Oh yeah I saw it. Yeah, yeah, soliloquy. You mean it was like two and a half minutes. He is everything that's right with football. It's like, how about you just do the GM thing of Hey, everybody, thanks for coming. We're here to announce the obviously draft pick of Travis Hunter. Really excited about Travis, you know, really looking forward to what he can do in a JAG's UNI.
Speaker 4: Any questions. That's that's how you hear him turn it out right, Yeah, but we'll see. But he's he's exactly right, Travis Hunters everything you want football play, Yeah, I.
Speaker 6: Can sure as I'll tell you that. Not everybody's Jeff Luno. It always still cracks me up to this day when they did the press conference with Verlander. We're here to officially announced the acquisition of Justin Verlander, who I think it already pitched and in Astro's UNI. So it's like, I don't really understand why we have to do this, but you you do, you man, Yeah you go. Oh, you know, everybody wants to put on the coat and the tie and have the jersey put on them and all of that. Do the grip and grin photo with the GM the.
Speaker 4: Owner, take a babies, Yeah, there you go, and then go get us a world chairs and he's beating them and us to celebrate.
Speaker 6: He paid off on that, Yeah, that more than once. But Tank Dell, it looks like he's not. I mean, I've said it numerous times. We've talked about it. This isn't you know, breaking any news here. He's not playing in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: I don't think any I don't know anybody that would have expected it. And even if it was a miracle comeback and he was ready in December, you don't play him. You just don't that. That's not just your blown out knee. It's not a torn ligament in the ankle. It's not a shoulder separation or you know, pulled biceps muscle where it tears away from the bow. You know that's not this was it was gruesome, and it was put it this way. If you get him at one hundred percent the following year in the office, like like at this time next year that he's going one hundred percent, be grateful and then get him back because and that kid's been through some adversity now two injuries, playing good football in both. Was having a hell of a game in that game and has to overcome that there's not gonna be a whole lot that you can run by him. That is not that he hasn't hit his football rock bottom because of these injuries, and God blessed him on his comeback, but we shouldn't even encourage that. There's no way you should be counting on him. Hints why they drafted somebody early, Hints why you go out and get Christian Kirk. You're protecting your Yeah, a couple guys exactly, but but the you're you know and Dan. One thing we talked about, you're either going to get lineman or receivers. And I told JOm Greedy and when they draft re Set, I had no problem with it because you they're looking and understand that weapons. You got to be able to separate and win and it can't just be Nico Collins. So they've approached it, and they approach it with the very thought that that that you're not going to get tanked del back till the twenty twenty six season, sadly enough, but you know what it'll make for one hell of a come back.
Speaker 6: Well, they went into this offseason too with exactly that of you go through a season and you had to sign, you know, three different quarterbacks and one of those guys had to start for you and it just didn't go well for you because, well, you had a guy off a couch that was going to be leading your offense and you don't want that to happen. So what do you do the following offseason? You trade, you sign, you draft, you do all those different types of things, so then the coach doesn't have to head into that situation.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 6: That was the charge of this front office and Tamiko Ryans in the offseason of saying, hey, look, nothing against John Metchi, nothing against Xavier Hutchinson. I can't play those guys and expect to win meaningful football, and you can play him.
Speaker 4: And I think we're still waiting for another level with MATCHI and I understand that Hall pass what he's been through as well, but it's probably a moo. It's time next year. It's time for him to get back doing his thing like he did at Alabama, and hopefully you will. But you're always, like I said, it's a GM. Your number one job is to get your coach players, but you're always looking for the ne best guy. You just have to for the right reasons. And as a player, you're always working to prevent that from happening, so you don't get replaced, and then you maximize what you're doing, and Tank Dell will be strapped with some This is it's not even just the physical part. Well, for that's one thing. It's the mental grind of when you hit those scar tissues and when you hit them and you got to break through them. That's the that's I guarantee you because physically those guys, these guys bounce back quick. It's amazing. But good doctors, some hard work and positive I know it sounds cheesy, but that's what's going to take to get through it. Take it from a guy who's shreded his knee twice, but this was a far more gruesome injury than I had. So you have to go out and protect yourself. It's nothing against Tank Dell and it's nothing against Mechi. If you're smart, you go out and get five six good ones, right, and then say, can I win with any of these guys? But you know who the number one is? And there's that that's a blatant. Now, these two young guys and any Christian Kirk who's a veteran now in this offense, Christian Kirk should have eighty five ninety catches. He really should be nice, I mean just and he because he's going to get more free reign than a guy that plays outside and is a big physical monster. You're not letting that guy beat you. So you got another veteran. It's gonna be fun to see how they implement this offense this year. It absolutely will be Nick Cayley's first year on the job. It will be interesting to see what wrinkles he is able to throw out there. All right, coming out a little bit about you know, mentioned the Fred van Vliet deadline. I almost wonder if they're telling us something without actually telling us it. We will talk about it here. It is a Sean Salisbury Show, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 9: Let the celebration start more Sean Salisbury a Sean Salisbury Show.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Brandon, Good morning.
Speaker 2: How about the astros?
Speaker 4: How about him? Did you not call it yesterday? Did you not call it? I told you were putting positive vibes out there pitching with Farmber and your game. That's it? You did? Dog gone righty? Did he called it? Said? Hey, they're gonna win, and then I'm gonna come in studio and make make me a coffee. That's what that was his call yesterday, memory by you all the way through the dog on right, Brandon, good call, baby.
Speaker 11: Because.
Speaker 2: Mom's my mom's I'm gonna wats.
Speaker 9: I'm gonna way to that smart.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well we'll plant it, no problem. We got all summer. We got the coffee. I'll bring the donuts. It would be a good time. Do you like ham sandwiches Brandon? Brandon, Yes, okay? Do you? What do you tell me what you like on your hamsounch? Dan wants to know because he's gonna make you want too when he brings your coffee.
Speaker 11: Ham.
Speaker 4: Do you like ham and cheese, mayonnaise, mustard? What do you put on a ham soounch?
Speaker 2: Cheese?
Speaker 4: Just ham? Plain? No, no, no, no no condiments, just playing. You like a hot or cold?
Speaker 2: I like it?
Speaker 9: I like it hot?
Speaker 4: Okay, I can do that. Some like it hot DM. So we got you all right, Just making sure I make toasted sandwiches all the time. They're delicious. Bring it here, micro wave it up. Yeah, there you go, there you go. You sure.
Speaker 2: Astros off today and we're off.
Speaker 9: And we're back at it tomorrow.
Speaker 6: Yes, they are back home. They played well at home this year, Brandon, it's a little bit different. It's the opposite of a couple of years ago. Love to see it, dude. He was awesome yesterday.
Speaker 4: He was.
Speaker 6: He was great frommer Brandon. That's that's who we need to see. That's the guy right there. We need that guy a lot more.
Speaker 1: How many strikeouts did he had?
Speaker 4: Seven?
Speaker 6: Yeah, he had seven strikeouts yesterday and he only gave up three hits.
Speaker 4: It's a good day.
Speaker 11: He had a good day.
Speaker 6: Yes he did, Yes, he did. And it was nice to see the bats get it going too. So we know the formula, Brandon. The guys just have to do it.
Speaker 4: It's first pitch of seven.
Speaker 6: Tomorrow night, yes, seven ten Friday night, fireworks too, So a lot.
Speaker 2: Of fun and I'll be at the game.
Speaker 4: Okay, cool, nice, Not tomorrow but Saturday.
Speaker 6: Okay, all right, there you go. Yeah, you get the six ten on Saturday. So that's that's good. That's good.
Speaker 4: You'll have a lot of fun.
Speaker 6: Well, it's it's usually six o'clock on on Saturday, so it's it's pretty much the same time as always.
Speaker 2: There you go the.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 6: All right, all right, man, we'll hear from your buddy. Well, we'll talk to you soon. Okay, all right, all right, see Brandon, So gonna go the game on Saturday. I mean, I don't think they have toasted ham and cheese sandwiches there at uh at dyke in Park. I mean maybe it's something you know, you could could get with the powers that be next year, you know, of anybody there inside the building, the you know, the oligarchy that is the the ownership group of you know, the is that even does that even fit? Like I hear people throw out that word all the time, and I'm like, what does that even mean? Like I don't get it, Like they're just really rich people, So I don't you just call him really rich people?
Speaker 4: Well that yeah, I'm assuming you're talking about oligarchy. Nice way to weave that in. Yeah, right, Uh just hear that all the time, and I'm like, what does it. There's one guy who's there's one guy who's been mentioned to it since nineteen sixty he's been trying to stop the oligarchy. He's got the sign in front of him. It's the same thing, and he hasn't changed the sign in fifty years either. The guy just to go, I mean, he knows how to pronounce it. He obviously knows what it means, and he's he's tired of the few of the men dominating everything. Right, that's he's tired of the oligarch he's trying to prevent it. The problem with Bernardo Sanders is he hasn't been able to prevent it for a long time, so he might want to use a different theme when he goes after presidency. That he's been fighting all garky since he was born. According to him, but you play the speech from nineteen sixty eight and it'll be the same speech now, his number one go to You got his voice back. I can't do his voice nor what I want to. But no, no, we're not doing it. Well, let me ask you, Bernie, how how wealthy were you before you got into the office and how well I'm not talking about that. This is about you. I thought you wanted to talk about oligarchies. Are you part of it? I am, I'm not one of the up one percent? Well, what about the four mansions you have? Bertie? Again, we're not talking about this. Oh that's right. You mean you're in seventy and in eighty and in ninety and in two thousand, and twenty. You're still fixing the oligarchy word though. Wait'll weave it in Dan. Yeah, hey, man, you're tired. You're just tired of all the oligarchs.
Speaker 6: I'm sure somebody's probably on Twitter going to throw out what the true definition is. But I mean, until this, it's like, oh, you're really rich, you have really big boats in the meadow Iterranean and all of this.
Speaker 4: What he doesn't want is he doesn't want just to give you an idea what oligarchy. He doesn't want ninety percent of the money. I'm willing to find it run like to be an oligarch. Yeah, yeah, what whatuld the ninety percent of the money being controlled by ten percent of the peaks. That's basically what he's fighting out. Yeah, he's got plenty of money of himself, but you got to fight the oligarchs, man, it's Oligarchy's just the thing. I love the word. Keep believing it in nice job by. You just got to find a way.
Speaker 6: He's just got to find a way, you know, for people, you know, Yeah, get get really good at something and then they'll they'll pay you for it.
Speaker 4: All right, mister movie quote guy, Oh and analyze this, Come on, what are you new here? Thank you? You didn't even let me ask the friggid question. Yeah, I mean I have a movie. I love movies, but it comes to movie quotes, you're the frigging man. You just huddled up. I mean you could recite, you know, back in You're like, like you said, we'll go back. I'll say seven brides for seven brothers, and you'll have a saying and that's like was like nineteen sixty two. Yeah, he tried to run that two point play I did where you know, going back to thequarterback. The quarterback, well, not only not even that where it's even much more simple, where you spread it out a little bit and then you think that the middle of the field's gonna be wide open so you can just run back in. No, I add my inside lineback. The entire time about this, I cut you down at the five. You're talking about like the three yard line. We go four wides with empty the backfield, run him in motion. You're a counting on the linebacker to run with him. Yeah, and he doesn't. So they're playing zone and now you're running quarterback draw the most Yeah, as if the biggest, and you got Josh Allen at quarterback or Lamar Jackson. Hey, we're on the three. Let's go empty, motion the back out and go three step, put your foot in the ground and run quarterback draw. As if that's not the most blatant obvious, I got a great idea run quarterback draw from empty with the back in the backfield, and at the snap, have the end go cut somebody like he's in maximum protection even though it's not max because he got four wides, and then make your throat. Yeah. Just a novel concept down there, But I digress. But back to it. I was actually going to ask you when I say you, yeah, yeah, analyze this, Yeah, you analyze that too, or just this. Yeah. So the moral of this story is the fact that you weaved in oligarchy. I don't disappoint try not to at least, I mean really really, maybe somebody some my my past.
Speaker 6: Like it's funny, like you know, people who like criticize you. It used to bother me when.
Speaker 4: I've been criticized before a few times, a few times, but now let it bother you, Dan, Yeah, please trust me. If you've you'll you'll be a lot better. I mean, I'm better, happier if you don't let those guys.
Speaker 6: One of the things that helps you mentally on Twitter is, uh, you know you want to call me a moron, but you don't follow me.
Speaker 4: Guess what I got news for you. I ain't gonna see. It's even worse. It's the one who calls you a moron who does follow you. Yeah, that's why I'm saying, Wait a minute. You hate what I say, and I'm the moron, but you're dumb enough to wake up in the morning and look what I said on Twitter.
Speaker 6: Hey you're a moron. But hey, what about the Texans linebacker situation?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Exactly. My favorite is I'm unfollowing you. Well this sense. This is the first time I knew you were actually following me. Man, what can I do to save this?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 4: You are unfollowing me because I said I think that, uh Cincinnati beats Pittsburgh this week. Oh, I'm unfollowing you. How dare you tell me Joe burw is a good quarter here? A moron? Okay, right, great, you're unfollowing me. I'll see you in a week because you'll be back. So yeah, the unfollowed threats My favorite. Hey, I can't believe you said what do you know nothing, but you can sure tell me what your seventh grade high school or your seventh grade junior high tape looked like. So that's my favorite. But that's my friend. You sucked. I remember that interception. Yeah, I remember it all too well, man, I remember all the interceptions. I don't remember the touchdowns, but I got through it. Saw the guy catch it. Yeah, and I chased him down, but I tackled him in the end zone for its pick six. Yeah, I know exactly what it looked like. And then I'll say, no problem, you're exactly right. Man, boy, that game was miserable and yeah, sure you cost me money. I apologize, by the way, I know I sucked. I don't apologize. That's your fault, it's their fault. Who then my favorite is and I apologize with a smiley face, right laughing, But then it's my favorite is.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 4: Do me a favor, though, man, because I'm trying to up my game. Could you send me your high school tape so I can evaluate all those stuffs you took. And i'd ever hear back from when I asked that, and it's all I do it. It's not mean because they're right. They can have their opinion. You're right, but you don't need to tell me when I sucked, because I exactly know when I sucked. But my favorite is, hey, what do you know? Not much? The truth. I don't know a lot, maybe a little bit about the position, but I just want to know so we can study this together. Grab your tape and walk me through your decisions when you're in tenth grade swiftly, Pennsylvania or third grade Swiftly. And I never really get a response back after that, but just check it in. Yeah, I was curious. I'd be like me, you know, That's why I always tell me and joking, I said, well, you teaching me about football is the equivalent of me going to Elon Musk and teaching him how to make money.
Speaker 6: It's like, you know, back when the college coaches used to have call in shows, because now it's all social media, you know, just very very controlled questions. And I remember once a guy called in the Mark Rick show, you know, complained about the way they were doing things, criticized him, and Rick finished it off of going, you know, but it sounds like you've coached a lot of football games, so you know, you seem to know what you're doing.
Speaker 4: I always do that, so I'll say, hey, man, you know what, I defer to your expertise. I have zero ideas right what you do, but please, we all need to know on this on this thread because it'll help us get better. But in truth, when somebody would there are some who call and say, Sean Man this and I'd say, you're exactly right. I did suck. And they're pointing out the obvious. And I like them because we have a lot of those people that can teach me a lot about sports and football and baseball and basketball. So I usually get them all the love they need, even when they don't give love back. But that's okay, that's all right. I look, not everyone's gonna love you. But the truth is I love when they point out, like I'll get pointed out a lot of times. The football game I played in college, my first start sophomore year at SC, We're on the road in Florida. Go back and look at the numbers, and we had Don mos Bar, Bruce Matthews, we were loading all Americans. We were driving down and winning. The clock went out. That crowd in Florida, Wilbur Marshall had a day. It was the best defensive performance that I've ever seen with my own eyes in person, and it was me taking the wrath of it. He played the best football game I'd ever see a defensive player, and maybe just still to this day, it's as good as I've ever seen. And so you get an old school Florida fantais, say, Sean, and remember this, I said, Do I remember National television Keith Jackson, Frank Broyles and my coach Robinson. After my first start, I'm sitting down against the wall. My parents were there, and he says, he showed me, so it's going to get better. So I was like distraught because but dude, Wilbur Marshall and he went on to a great career. It was and I can raise my hand and say I was a part of having one of the greatest performances I ever saw. He had like twenty two tackles, three three and a half or four and a half sacks. He looked like a man playing against a bunch of boys. And we were pretty good. Dude. We went on to win six or seven in a row and were topped. I mean were they. He was unbelievable. So I know what that feeling feels like of a guy taking over and dominating you. Man all too well. It's I get reminded about that on social media often. I say, you are one hundred percent correct. Yeah, it's not good to be on the short end of that one. Oh but you look back now and you can smirk at it, saying, man, I appreciate it a part of something. You watch it and then you realize why. He went on to have a great career in Chicago and a great player, no doubt in Washington, no doubt.
Speaker 6: All right, the decision to push things back with Fred, I think it tells a story.
Speaker 4: We'll talk about it here. It is a Shawn Salisbury Show Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: The Shawn Salisbury Show continued.
Speaker 4: He was I saw him in concert and it was like, it's pretty magical the way he performed. Man, that was Yeah, that one cut. That one cut really deep. So it's funny.
Speaker 6: I was actually sitting at a bar once and somebody next to me somehow the conversation got on the Prince and they said that, Yeah, one of my co workers when it was their first day, you know, it was, hey, tell us a little bit something about you. Tell us a fun fact, and her fun fact was that she went to middle school with Prince and she goes and believe it or not, he actually was a really good basketball player from the Chappelle Show bit right, they did Charlie Charlie Murphy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he uh and he loved his sports and afterwards he starved us pancakes. There you go. He uh, big man? Is that the Rick James Wow classic? He was? Yeah, that one hurt man, didn't it?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Shocking. Yeah, we're talking about Prince right, not as much Rick James. Yeah, but super freak Yeah he was. He was something else. Great performer, yes, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 6: We still get to listen to him from time to time to to keep his memory alive for sure. Coming up here less than an hour Astros GM, Dana Brown gonna join us up. But just real quick here on the Rockets, just because this came down yesterday. I mean, you know, as we get deeper into the offseason, obviously when there's things to talk about, we'll talk about them. But i mean, you know, aside from that, the season's over, so it's just you just you just move on from it. And the team was supposed to have a deadline of tomorrow on Fred van Vliet to pick up his team option. They've pushed it back a month because they would owe him Sean about forty five million dollars next season. My guess is the decision to move it back is, let's extend this thing because you're no longer in the market where you have to pay Fred van Vliet forty five million dollars. And I mean, he'll get his money one way or another. But I just think that the Rockets look at it and say, we're no longer in the desperation phase of trying to build this thing up because where they were, you had to you had to overpay for him, You had to overpay for Dylan Brooks. You're now in a position as a team where you've built up your roster. You feel good about your roster. You feel even better if number five is still here. But you also don't feel even better pay million dollars.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so what do you think the delay is? What to see if you can work out a deal, but long term extension, a long term extension, but somehow, some way you want to extend it so it hurts less. I mean, what where you gonna He's still going to get paid if you keep him. Yeah, because like unlike football, that's how he's theirs, right. But he's not getting forty five million dollars from my kids. No oh No, I love having him here. I think he's a really good settler, meaning he can keep you, settle in, and come up with some big games. I do. I like having I think he's got a winning attitude and culture about him. And you saw in this series that he can go out there and take over a game too. You don't want him to have to be that guy regularly. Does that make sense? Absolutely? But I don't see forty five million either. The question is how do you do it to where forty five minut I mean, how do you go about this? And the extension to say he gets it? This year we're extending and he's going to take a major pay cutter. Is he going to tell you? Mean, what do you going to do? It's not like I mean you ultimate him him. What do you what are you gonna do?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 6: I think you ultimatum. I mean there's a mutual interest for both your side and also for him to come back. He said as much the other night that he wants to stay here. He wants to be here.
Speaker 4: At what price? At what price does he draw the line and say, I can't go lower than this? Thirty five? I mean that's that even might be high, that's still a lot of money. Yeah, I mean that's reserve for usually reserve for your.
Speaker 6: That guy, well not only that guy, but also that guy that you know, A down night for them will be twenty points.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know, man, that's like I said, I love having him, but that's an awful expensive price tag between thirty five and forty five, men's an awful expensive price tag unless you're it seems you know, we have to go through the contracts. It seems like those are reserved for well, the bruns and the tatums, the Nikola Jokic's of the like I said, this is a really good player, and I think he's a really good culture guy do and he knows how to win. He's proven it. But that's uh, why else would you extend this if it wasn't and talks to how we're going to structure this to get him to still be here where he can be a guy because he's still really good in our building face.
Speaker 6: Well, you extend him because I mean for everything you just said, you know what he means to this team, doubt, but you also you like him, you love him.
Speaker 4: You don't love him for forty five million dollars, but he's still in, you know, in a phase of his career where you know that you don't want to say twenty two million. I mean you're not you know what I'm saying. Yeah, you don't get my point, right, guy, Right, that's exactly right. If you're going to do that, you just let him, you just you just say it's better for you to move on. But yeah, it's it's going to be interesting. But the DELA has to be in my opinion, how are we going to work to keep him? But make it fiduciary, fudutiary responsible.
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 4: Ah, there's those words again. I mean, you know, look at you. I mean I bring in m's master's program, I bring I bring dilemnized you in fiduciary as well. Why wouldn't we? Isn't that? Isn't this? Isn't this what this is all about? Sure? Little for sure finances and some coin. You know, it's good, it's good to throw out the words every one, So every now and then you got to keep keep people honest and especially to you got to do it in a genuine way, Like even if you mispronounce or you can tell that there was a hint of hesitation, then people will just roll with it. What did you just like look that up in a thasaurus somewhere or something. Yeah, but I didn't. Yeah, it's a I use the term regularly with when I come I talk trasan wealth, which I'll do here shortly. How about that? Yeah, how about that as biscuit. See you want to weigh in well. Also, if you want to get in on the Fred van Vleet conversation, please feel free seven one, three, two and two five seven ninety also too, before we get to Dana Brown here in about forty five minutes. Uh, there are worse places if you're going to go through hell, and this would probably qualify. We will talk about it here Sean Salisbury show. Hey, guys, Trajan Wels Fiduciary Advisors. They're committed to working collaboratively with you. Yep, that's another good word. Huh when it comes to your wealth management plan. They know one size doesn't always fit all. They just doesn't. So contact Tration Wealth today and discuss strategies to weather the current storm that goes on. You just got to be able to weather it and when it's going good as well, right, and that's the way you want to. Trasian Wealth understands the concerns that arise during times of some volatility on the market that you have a good wealth advisor that's a fiduciary that is obligated to your portfolio. They also understand the importance of portfolios focused on capital preservation, growth and low cost investment options so you can get in and stay in for the long haul and prevent all that stuff from making you come out of retirement when the time comes, you want to discuss options to mitigate those risks, and Tration Wealth can do that. How would peace of mind in your investment portfolio feel knowing when you go into retirement the only way you come out of retirement to work is if you want to. It's tras Wealth Entrusted Financial Fiduciary three four six three seven one thirty three thirty for your free review three four six three seven one thirty three thirty for that free review. All these years you've put in, wouldn't it be a bummer not to stand shoulder to shoulder with somebody you can trust that can guide you along the way and give you that peace of mind that you so deserve. Well, Trasan Wealth is worth a phone call and you can find out for yourself. Trasianwealth dot Com Trajanwealth dot Com Advisory services offered through tradan Wealth LLC and SEC Registered Investment advisor paid advertisement.
Speaker 2: Why You're back.
Speaker 1: This is the Sean Salisbury Show.
Speaker 4: Get back at it, biscuit.
Speaker 11: Good morning, Hey, top of it morning, my brothers man. Good good dialogue going.
Speaker 4: On this morning, Dan and Sean.
Speaker 11: A Hey, Dan, he's got you bring up the Holy guard man to one. I'll tell you one that this irks me more than the one percent man is the saddest scenes in the Pharisee, Dan going Biblical.
Speaker 4: I like you, Yeah, absolutely, I.
Speaker 11: Can get with a man that's you know, if he's a businessman, he's detailing. He all about money, making money. But these people who say they doing things in the name of Jesus and doing everything contrary them, the ones that I have probably that that's yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah. The hypotrits, we're we're gonna leave names out, but the names not be we we we we know the names right exactly. By the way, I like to I want one of their three private planes too, but they're free. Hey, we have no tax on them, but they're free. But hey, appreciate you man. Thanks, Yeah, a.
Speaker 11: Thousand dollars some angels to help you out.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: By by, by the way, on that free flight, could you be a good one and send the blessing to drive me and fly me and my friends to Pebble Beach so we can all go play on that thing too, because you know what, we want to do, some spiritual golfing. That's the way the Good Lord would want to be. Damn right. I want to see that cypress tree out there. You damn right, I'm there. Let's go that that might be and would you say, oligark, that might be that that that that picture shows up of that of the group. Okay, you and I both know that. That's right.
Speaker 11: Yeahs and plants pad of all over the place. John Ain't nobody had a better roster than Prince.
Speaker 4: Dude.
Speaker 7: Come on, now, Celia, roster.
Speaker 4: What's nine and a half weeks? Agol Kim Basinger really? Oh he had Kim bay Singer. You damn right, I know that in the list. Don't stop there. Okay, some of the names you'll know, and some of the names you won't start. Listen the Dicaprios and and Bradley Cooper's or whoever the tom I got news for you. They're sitting in the cheap seats. When it comes to Prince, I could PROMI as shoot that interesting. Don't let don't let the diminutive size and the fact that he's you know, all over the state. I got news for you that man. When he walked into a room, everything stopped. It was E. F. Hutton and his roster. Matter of fact, he's cutting tens. Okay, now, can't make this roster. That's yeah, Oh, Biscuit ain't lying about that now. And he's just naming the names that you do know. Yeah, he he You know what, he had a lot of guys. He had a lot of them on injured reserve. Okay, you talk about that, his barn was full of whatever he wanted. Good he could still pull him and he's in a grave. That's that's how good Prince was My masket? Am I right? Biscuit? It's no doubt, no doubt, you brought a.
Speaker 11: Wilblm Marshall sounded did you play it? Because it made me think, so did you play against.
Speaker 4: Uh, Hugh, Yeah, I did, But but he was before me. But he was he was like he was like, uh, probably late seventy. He was more, you know, a little like just before Marino, got a little bit of Marino. So he was in the league. He was in the league, but he'd already been in what four or five? Well he had to be what biscuit seventy eight something like that when he came out, So yeah, he was in the league. Yes, yes, yes, yeah, yep.
Speaker 11: But Hugh green Man went back in the date minut dude, was he coming like third or something?
Speaker 4: Yeah? He he was in the day. Yeah. He the two the two best the guys you think, oh my gosh, who who You're like Hugh Green because the modern part and Leroy Selmyn was that guy too at Oklahoma, but he went on to a phenomenal NFL career too. But Hugh Green was a yeah. On Saturdays, you were when you do the highlights, everybody was talking about all the great players, and then you never went through a highlight on the National Guy college games without Hugh Green's name being mentioned. Talking about a disruptor in college guy was unbelievable. Talking about him quite regularly. Biscuit knows Hugh Green was that guy when he came out of school. Yeah. It was nasty, no doubt.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 11: And and with the rocket is uh name. I think the van Fleet deal forty million, that's way too much. What what do you think the Rockers are willing to paint is? Do you think it's the numbers right at thirty? Maybe for three years or two years or well what you think is going to be the sweet spot? Now I'll hang up with this.
Speaker 6: They appreciate it. I mean it's definitely gonna trend more towards thirty. I mean again, you know when you did it, it was a we need to add adults to this team, we need to add veterans, and you know, we also know that if we're going to add those guys that are worthwhile, well then the overpays got to happen.
Speaker 4: What if I said between ninety and ninety five for three years, yeah, that that should get it done. I would think so, because I don't think you're getting that anywhere else. No, And that's that's still hefty. And he's at the stage of his career with that, I think it's fair. But you know, two or three years stretch it out that the thirty thirty one million a year, that's stout fair. Yeah, he's say thirty two million in the final year if he's still playing for it. Treat the guy right, you show you're showing me care and yeah you get it done. Absolutely fair. Yeah, for sure, he's not gonna he's not going to miss a me. No, you'll be fine. Pay rent mortgage, know, yeh be all right, it'll be good. He'll be good.
Speaker 6: Dana Brown coming up in about thirty minutes here. But uh yeah, training camp worse places to have it. I can think of them. We'll talk about it here. Sean Salisbury Show.
Speaker 9: Kb E Houston, k t V HD two Houston, an iHeartRadio station.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's a rocketra.
Speaker 9: This is Sports Talk seven ninety, your home for your home.
Speaker 10: Teams from the Parsons that match in next studios.
Speaker 4: This is Blumber from the Astros broadcast team. Right now, your shot at one thousand dollars on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 14: Just enter this nationwide keyword at Sports seven ninety dot com bank b A n K Bank Enter it now at Sports seven ninety dot com.
Speaker 9: Sawfrey Houston, Okay, let's do this on Salisbury.
Speaker 2: Usc true longtime friend Shawn Salisbury.
Speaker 1: Dan matthewscuse, this is the Sean Salisbury show.
Speaker 6: Rockets pushing back their deadline to extend or just decide to give the team option to Fred van Vliet. That would be actually more operative one the team option to June twenty ninth and Texans resigned defensive tackle fully fought a Cassi to a deal. Sean, you went through ot as you went through mini camp, you went through training camp. I mean, training camp is not what it used to be. I mean, you know, I hear the stories from you from from our good buddy Greg Cook, Indie, you know when he was here, you know, just tell us stories like Indy. Indy was actually the guy that had told us and Indy hopefully I'm not letting too much out of the bag here, but had told us a story about how hard training camps were, that huge gatorade bottles would be needed in the dorms because you'd be so tired that you couldn't even get out of your bunk. That you're like, okay, well, yes, so I'll go ahead and use the gatorade bottle. So you don't have those days anymore. You don't have the two days you don't have you know, the you're you're at it for two padded practices and then you're right back at the following day.
Speaker 4: It just it's it's it's changed quite a bit. Well we practiced, we could practice three days in a row, four days in a row, and two days in full gear. Now, as a quarterback, I'm not going to sit here and say I went through it and need it or anybody else. Now you drop back. You're exhausted, but in a different way. Usually it's the mental exhaustion that kicks in because you're putting in. You know, you will wake up the first day of tray, especially when you're young, if you're a veteran, had been the system, it's a little different, right, But you show up a training camp and you're putting in, you know, first day, eight runs, seven passes, five formations, four motions, a apartridge in a pair tree and that's the morning. And then after your exhaustion, you go get a quick nap, have lunch, you're back at a meeting, and then you go back on the field. And now it's cumulative. Okay, what we did in the morning, now we're putting in the afternoon stuff and then we're going seven. I said, oh, now it's two minute drill and it's so it's mental exhaustion. But yeah, those guys and then you run and stay in shape and lose weight. But you can't practice two days in a row in pads now, let alone to practices in a row. So it's not like tougher. The rules are just different the rules. It's not the players that are softer. The rules have allowed them to be softer. When I say softer, meaning they don't practice as much training camps, what two and a half, three weeks maybe before you break camp. Heck, you get into the point now where if some are having it at home, they're just letting their guys stay home. We had to go check into dorms or a hotel, stayed out the whole time, six weeks, five weeks, depending on what it was. So and that's okay. I used to love going to training camp like with the fellows, and it was awesome, and I like the chess chess match and went into the preparation. Yeah, and then now take a defensive end or defensive lineman, an offensive lineman, and they're they're they're thump and you're not hitting the quarterback. But you know the cardio stuff and the mental exhaustion. But those guys are you're a corner, you're running all day, you're middle linebacker, and that was a time, dude, in practice you go live, you're taking on fullbacks in ISO and all these concussions we talked about during games, What about the time that constantly these guys in practice are helmet the helmet, meeting each other in the hole and seeing stars ten times of practice. It was different. It's different. They're working less, meaning less time and making more. And that's the way it's set up. I mean it's I don't have a problem with it. I actually think they miss out on some of the stuff we had we got to do, not the two days in pads. I get you got to preserve the players, but the simple fact of being around longer in the dorm stuff, I think you built relationships better. I actually miss I loved to go into training camp because all the all those challenges was fun. But yeah, day four, every guy I've ever met wants to quit, retire. Heuring Day four of two days, it's like, you know what, I'm gonna put my degree to work. I'm done. And that's what you'll say that when you go to the next morning, when they could for the morning practice, you I could get in a shower, you big beat and you go and say, I mean your arm's about to fall off, and let alone the head and the arms of all these linemen that are beating on each other. I just have my arm. It's about And you're like, you know that's okay. After this practice, I'm quitting. Yeah, I'm gonna go. So you get the end hit forces, you get a new energy. You got Oh, I'm retired, I'm done, and then you'll go practice. You'll take your ass back to the door, sleep or say go at the grind again. That's the mental and emotional grind is far more worse than anything. But they don't do it. It's different. I think they miss out on and I think that's why they're sloppy football. Our training camps were longer and you get to work on it. And once again, I don't care about the preseason games. I don't it's nice to win them. Denny Green always said, listen, if we're going to play them, whether it's the second or third ringers, we're playing them to win them. You're just not playing at the expense of losing Randy Moss to an ankle, are right, but yeah, play them to win them. But our practices is where you knew you were going to make a team because they were physical and they were nasty, and you got after it, and they were highly competitive and Blitz pick up all those things and fist fights are flying on a daily basis. But that's where you make the team. If you don't get a chance to show your stuff in the preseason, if you're the third guy and you can't get through it, you can't get out of huddle and line up. You may have all the take talent in the world, but practice three, you're running a post when we call a corner because you didn't stay in your playbook the night before. And they say, well, games matter more, not in the preseason getting ten snaps. It's all the stuff leading up that gives you those ten STAPs. If you don't bypass your ass, you won't see you won't get a sniff of it.
Speaker 6: Oh it's awesome, I mean it's lessons learned from the past. I mean, if you want these guys to be able to play as many years as possible, and you also too, you want a quality of life when you're done. I mean, how many guys do you see walk away from the game early because they're like I just I want to be able to be in the sixties and not feel like I'm nineties.
Speaker 4: And they can because backup quarterbacks making eight million bucks. Yeah, kickers making five million a year, they're all valuable. I'm not said, I'm not diminishing them, but yes, so it allows you to, if you're smart, make a whole bunch of money quick and play seven years instead of fifteen. And that's when that's when you listen. When you know, when it really becomes work that you like, I've dread the off season training, that's probably the time to walk away because that Patty started and you start thinking about and when I open this business, and you could do both, but you know when your mind starts to say I wish I was put on a coat and tie and talking behind the mike as opposed to get my ass ready to play, that most players know, and then you're used to have to hang on to play a couple extra years because you get some extra money at the end of a career. Right, Oh yeah, guys can walk away now earlier because their priority shift and they don't want to when they're seventy. Wonder how in the world they're going to get their third knee replacement. Well you can really only have two. But you get what I'm saying though.
Speaker 6: And in mini camp was probably even more of like you're kind of like, we're just kind of getting a taste of this, but it's not really even.
Speaker 4: Yet, you know, Dan, I didn't we didn't have OTAs. You had off season program where voluntary, which to me always met mandatory show up and you'll go out and throw Volunteer coaches wouldn't be out there, but you go and throwing routes to large it and those guys because they of their staying in the off season going home for a little while so year around the facility. As I said yesterday, but we didn't have ots. We had off season program, which is voluntary. You had too many You had a rookie minute camp that the perimeter people, quarterbacks, veterans would show up to, and then we had the veteran Mini camp, and then you may had one more but that that was the chance you had. You had three days and those three or four days are the week that you had for the mini camp was to get yourself ready. So they had it in their eye. I like the way this guy spins it, or this guy runs routes. So when you got back in pads actually came on, then they were looking at you a little different than the stretching line because you, oh, kid, we can get him out of the hudle a as a rookie quarterback or running back who has been in our playbook. Just we're putting in just a little bit of installation and they can handle it mentally. That's really what you're looking for. And then up close to see a guy running routes and compared to large it, you know, and learning from him. So yeah, that's where you didn't have all these OTAs to make a long impression. You had to make a quick impression. So when you got to training camp, they were looking at you different in pads and giving you that run in pads you want. Imagine six quarterbacks in camp, can't get them all work, so you better catch their eyes somehow some way. Now, off season program OTA's lasts longer but the voluntary, then you get the mandatory and then you go to training camp and in truth, you know, they know who ninety two percent of their roster is going to be before training camp starts.
Speaker 6: When it comes to mini camp, how would it suit you to go to Maui for mini camp? That's what the Rams are doing. I freaking love it. Why wouldn't you.
Speaker 4: It's a little team building, it's a little fun after you get off the field go you know what it is. It's the Pro Bowl early or late should we say, but before you go in season, it's one of those let's go there, let's train, you get some sand training. But then afterwards we get to go out on the beach and you get to go deep sea fishing and you get to play golf. Why wouldn't you do that? What a cool thing to fly everybody in and have them go there. It's a camaraderie thing, Sean mcvagh. They get that team building. You're not going there. They'll put it this way. It ain't going to be an over business trip. You may have mini camp there, but there's also there there is a method the McVeigh and the Rams madness to make sure their players know they care about them. Who doesn't want to train in Hawaii.
Speaker 6: So if you're the Texans, I mean, you know, close to Mexico, you could either go the Gulf side of the Yucatan or you could go over to Cago and say, hey, let's let's do mini camps.
Speaker 4: Why why wouldn't you, Why wouldn't you so reward players. Imagine families say well, let's go over there too, and maybe you stay in extra week because now as they creep into June, they're going to get that June to early July, that five to six week for coaches as well. Coach will take a lot of June off and this is let's get them ready, have another mini camp and then take that off and go. It's just it's a hey man, these guys care about us, and we're doing it in Hawaii. And don't kid yourself, Sean McVay didn't mind being in Hawaii too at that time of year. It's kind of a it's kind of the double whammie, right. I told you the story I think I told on I can't when you go on them, I can't remember. I told you the story about David Craig the first time I saw him was on the Seattle my first minute camp. I ever tell that story on So I get drafted, I mean, with the drafts over, I go to mini camp and I'm standing there talking. I thought, I told you this and maybe I didn't. To a rookie wide receiver on the field, I said, I'm beating that guy out, David Craig, who got six foot tall. I think a jersey hanging down below his elbows, pants don't fit right, and I'm thinking, and during warm up, I'm you know, throwing a little harder to impress, thinking, I got this first mini camp when you walk off, you go have dinner the night before, and the next day you're on the field, right, yeah, and so you're trying to make an impression on all these veterans six five too that I'm gonna rip it. Well, he's still so we're going through it. I'm thinking, I'm beating him out. There's no way this is the David Craig that's strowing for all these yards and he in a largent, you know, legendary. And I told him I'd looked at Earl winfil and I said, I'm beating that guy out. And Earl said let's go because he was a rookie rookie wide receiver. And by the time we got to about an hour and thirty minutes into practice, we started seven seven and team and I'm watching David Craig. The ball doesn't hit the ground. He's dropping back, throwing post and post corners. I'm like, there's no way that ball's complete boom And it was like he was handing it off thirty yards down the field. Yeah, and by the time we got halfway through team and you get a couple snaps, right. I went back to Earl Winfield and I said, one day, but I'm not beating him out, because dude, he was. It was so he geared up right, he was like, and the looks are to see. I'm telling you, dude's six foot and a half six to one, and the uniform fit like a seventh grader that's trying to wear a varsity uniform. And we are laughing at and I'm thinking, I'm gonna bury this guy when it comes to flow. And I learned right then and there. I mean i'd learned beforehand, but that physical stuff, which is great becaulse I thought farther hard, sure, but when we got into a huddle and got out of the huddle boom boom boo boom boom boom, And I'm like, oh okay. And he went to Milton College. It turned into a junior high school. That's when I realized these guys are And I played at SC with all these great all Americas, great players, but even the NFL is just it. And you realize, man, those this quarterback, Yeah, he's went and he was smart as hell, man, that dude. And and so I thought, okay, now I'm in. Now, Now I know what it's gonna take, because now you're to the point where the mental is going to outlast the physical. He usually does, but those many can. I miss him. I miss as much as anything in my career. I miss the sitting around and the laughter with the fellas. And I promise you, as i'm saying, we all hear this. The cheese part of it. Oh yeah, I'd rather be back for the stories. And I'm telling you now, dude, I'd change turn in all the money from your NFL career to give me ten more years of that of just the stories and and what I do over again with the fellaw not much, because I asked a lot of questions around the guys I did. I wanted to learn, but I had fun with him. I just you go back and say, what would you do now? If you go back and still to this day, more than that check getting in when you're at your high point and making money, the stupidity, I miss more than anything, and you'll never you can never get that setting again once you're done, unless you're even as a coach. You don't because you're not down in locker room with selfish. Right, you're a little older and more mature. But man, I missed that more name when when athletes tell you that they're not joking, most of us would have done it for free. We just wouldn't let anybody know because we don't want to do it for free. But you would. It was it was am I love. I missed that competitive. I miss that fight competitive where you had to you had nothing, You were an undrafted free agent and you had to fight your ass off to make that team. I'll never forget my rookie year and what it was like. I hope the guys that go enjoy the journey because when it's over and it gets going to go fast, and if you're fortunate. I was fortunate to play ten years m M. Most of them will be out of league in five or less. So I hope they enjoy the hell out of it because it is something that you look back and say, what would I have done different? Don't ask what if? Just make sure you know what you did.
Speaker 6: Locker room and the road trips. That's those are the memories you likely carrying. Yeah, no, you can't replace it either. I mean you you just hit it right on the head. So those are the things that come to mind. College football. Could the savior be in front of us? We will discuss it here. It is a Sean Salisbury show. Hey, guys, men's tea clinic. Optimization wellness, Optimize your wellness. We can say it all we want, but when are you going to realize? And I listen, I went through it. They've been in business now eleven year, celebrating their eleventh anniversary and it's impressive. And you don't last that long in Dallas and Houston if you're not doing the right thing and changing lives and hey, who hasn't all been Will you start something?
Speaker 4: You say? Okay, man, testosterones back to normal aside for four or six when I said, man, why am I feeling well? Stay at it. And if you're one of those guys, whether it's sexual wellness, whether it's you know, you're mama and you aren't happy because you're just a little sluggish and you're irritable and you're not performing at the level that you maximize in your weekend Warriorship. Men's Tea Clinic can help optimization wellness with a great team. Five convenient locations here. Listen first, some it's it's you know and you say saved lives. What does that mean? It means that they changed enough where it saved them from falling into a deeper brain fog. Check your testosterone. Go in and draw a little blood. It's non invasive. By the end of the day you'll have your results and now you can start to normalize and lower gear is in any place you have to be again. So if you've struggled in twenty four, don't let it be the case in twenty five. And if you've struggled the first quarter, there's still time get it right. Invest in yourself, which means get to Men's T Clinic Optimization wellness at it's best Men's T Clinic Dot com Men's t clinic dot com.
Speaker 1: This is the Sean Salisbury show, sales grease.
Speaker 4: That's utiful.
Speaker 6: beIN reports that President Trump is going to have a Commission on College Sports, and on three's Peter Nikos Nakos however you say his name, has confirmed that another co chair is expected to be a well known college booster to go along with the primary co chair Saban.
Speaker 4: So let's can we speculate on the name. Have they speculated on the second name? Not? Not yet? It's a famous college coach or a former Uh it's a well known college athletics booster. Oh booster. Well, let's think about boosters that are popular. Phil Knight big time?
Speaker 6: Uh, the man who is his uh ambassador to Italy.
Speaker 4: Now tell for Tita, I'll come back to d C. Okay, what about Oklahoma State? He's no longer with us, I know, but that I'm talking about the Oklahoma State. But his money, that that presence from that university. Yeah, yeah, he passed away. What has it been two years? Three years? Now? It's yeah, why am I losing? Boone Pickens? Exactly?
Speaker 7: He?
Speaker 4: Uh the money for I mean, that's big booster money. So who takes on that role a right point. He's probably been passed away longer than that. But you know we called we played that game of how long ago? And you say three years and it was like this, right, God, what that long? But yes, I'm trying to think around about night obviously jumps to the forefront tilman Fertita here, And there's probably names that we're not mentioning that we know that are big. And I'm trying to think across the country names and when you say their name, like, oh, and by the way, who is it? So yeah, interesting, But if Saban's on it, you know where we're headed. We're going to try to do everything we can to regulate this in a different way and stay in between the lines. And I rarely like getting government involved in anything outside of government, let alone in government. I don't really want them meddling in this. You want to exactly, I do not like it. But when you say Saban in college football, I'm willing to listen because I know he has the betterment of the place, especially since he's not even coaching now anymore. But that's the reason he left, the betterment of of getting kids paid. But make sure that we're not so out of hand that you're forcing coaches to leave and players to do it. So I think it's good. And whoever that big contributor is is, you know, as far as a big alumni and a big you know, one of those guys who's on the board and you know, gives money and is a powerful position if we can get it changed for the better where both sides win, because right now and the one that's not winning, the fan doesn't win. The fan doesn't win, you don't have the you know, who's my team? What are we doing? And now? And it even with all these rule changes and nil and transfer portal, I almost feel like you can cheat the system easier. Now does that make sense that that, oh it's not hand to hand cash? But really it isn't. Isn't it really hand to hand cash?
Speaker 6: You get a guy that was supposed to go play at LSU and then all this time.
Speaker 4: Million to go to Michigan. That's hand to hand cash. But yeah, you create stuff for that right as an alumni and big money and and on some guys like Larry Ellison at Oracle with his wife, I think is a Michigan alone, right? Is it? What's twelve million? I mean? And we have a lum at every school that can afford to say, Oh, I can fut that myself. I'll make that an interest by the time the year's over. Right. So I don't know, but I'm always I don't care who's the president or when government's involved in it. I think, man, that's probably outside your lane. But we're gonna need some regulation when it comes to it, and if that will speed up the process as long as the decision makers get it. Whoever, those guys Aren'tking Nick Saban and whoever this big booster is.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean this all started probably about what fifteen years ago, where it's pay the players, pay the players.
Speaker 4: All right, well, how does that look? I don't know.
Speaker 6: It's like, okay, so you're just wanting to spend people's money, but you don't want to have a plan to doing it. Let me tell you what really rich people don't like to do. They don't like to just give away their money. Hence why they're really rich. Uh, And they will question everything. They got the most money and they will be the tightest with it, and they have question and hents. Like you said, they're pretty good decision makers. Hence how they got to this point.
Speaker 4: But you got to push the write buttons in this and hopefully the one thing about this is the hopefully lightning speed in which we can change it. But don't just change it so it's fallen downhill and everything goes to hell that way, But make sure it's a methodical change that hits properly so we're not back to the archaic ways of these kids not getting anything. But then we can't leap frog and get to the point where they're they're dictating everything that goes on. And the n C two A is no longer a factor in preventing this so far because they haven't stepped up. The n C DOUAA is just not even a factor whatsoever. It's as bad as governing bodies there is. And I want you to think about the IOC and others that that's bad boxing. And you think about that, and we got to the point where it's the worst, said me, exactly. And it's a tall boy to trust me. And that's and that's what they, you know, decided, might even be a growler. You know what.
Speaker 6: What they decided at the beginning too, when all of this you know, was made available, was oh well, for the longest time. We've been depriving these guys of these chances and ladies, but we've been depriving the athlete. So these chances. So let's go ahead and turn the fire hose on. And then they ripped the nozzle off the you know, the the faucet right there, so it just kept flowing. And now all of a sudden you're just kind of looking at it and saying, Okay, now this has kind of gotten out of hand.
Speaker 4: Right now, you've got to go back and fix it. Who knew that was going to happen? Everybody, right, but did nothing about it? That's exactly right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So well see, I mean I would have to think that you're going to have ads, you know, college presidents. I mean, I would think the people, if you're going to do this, do it right. Have the people who know this on a day to day basis be the ones that are saying, all right, hey, this is what could make this better, this is how we improve this thing.
Speaker 4: And the negotiations are when both sides win. Sure, and that's what we got. We got to keep everything in mind, the kid, the parent, the n C two A, the school, the coaches along all that. You got to find a way, And there's a lot of smart people in the world. But it's amazing to me you can't sit around a conference room table and say, does this really look good? Is this really what's best for college football or basketball? And the answers no, So how do we make it best for the kid? But not so out of hand that the kids running college football when they can't quite run their own nose yet.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Well, Nick Saban said, it is this what we want college football to be? Well, now he's got a chance to be able to affect it. All Right, it's a Thursday, but it's still nine thirty. That's Dana Brown joining us here on the Sean Salisbury Show. That's coming up right here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and also coming up as storm season and you've probably been hit by some as John and Country Boys Roofing wants me to make sure you guys know, be careful be leiarus scams at this time where either they're gouging you money wise or telling you something you don't need. Just because you call somebody to come check your roof out doesn't mean your roof needs fixing. And if they're not certified and done right, you should make sure that those it doesn't mean small or big. It means make sure you do your due diligency. You're not getting taken because that wouldn't be a good thing, and writing and paying it all up front before they do any work, and all of a sudden you're wondering where your money went and the work's not done. That's not Country Boy's roofing. It's just a basically a public service announcement saying be careful at this time because John's not going to price gouge you. His team is awesome, between him and Zach and the other John and Connor, they've got a great team that's honest, certaintyed Shingle certified as well as installer of Atlas and obviously Texas Windstorm certified. All those things you need to hear to make sure they're legit Better Better Business Bureau new member, which I'm a proud member John, and I know he takes a lot of pride in that. But no price gouging. If you're a military first responder educator, that's one thy five hundred off the full roof when you get it, when you go through your estimate and get it fixed pre post or during a storm that gets you taken care of. And remember this, it doesn't matter it's storm season and they're not going to get rid of helping you when other's a price gouging. And if you're not one of those mentioned my name, you get a thousand dollars off the full roof. So there it is. It is Country Boy's Roofing and they'll help you navigate insurance claims anywhere in Houston, anywhere you need them, and they'll be there and do it loyal, honest, and again remember be careful of those out there that are in a money grab. It is country with a K, Boys with a Z, Countryboysroofing dot com, Countryboysroofing dot com.
Speaker 1: We're for the Shawn Salisbury Show continued.
Speaker 4: Uh, Dan, you've been in this a long time. When do you know during a season, like the identity of your team, when do you know that, Okay, that's who we are. What point should we start to feel that's who they are?
Speaker 7: I mean, we get a feel for what the team's identity is, you know, coming out of spring training, and it's just a matter of when the guys hit their stride, you really see it come to fruition. And so I mean we we feel like this team has a really good identity. It's just you know, we were waiting on that offense to really turn around. And so this this, this is a really good team.
Speaker 4: So when somebody asks if I were to say, right the second we ended spring train and say, Dana, what's the identity of the Astros, what would you have told me?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I would say, Look, we're going to have a nice combination of hitting and pitching, along with good defense and a good bullpen, and so that that's a recipe for winning a lot of games. And so once we get on all cylinders, you know, we're going to you know, we're going to be explosive. So you know, you know, just to be at five hundred right now. Look, we're grinding through it, you know, grinding through a few injuries as well, And so I think this team is going to be really good and they're gonna turn it around.
Speaker 4: Yeah. How close are you data in your mind the breakthrough? How close?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 7: You know, we have a few guys that are notorious for starting off slow. I think I think we're right on the brink of turning this thing around. I'm hoping that it's really starts this homestand we've been playing very well at home this year, and so you know we can get the breakout offense going. You know, I think you know that's when we're going to get the multiple games over five hundred. So you know that's the goal is to get this offense.
Speaker 4: Going, asked those GM data Brown for his weekly visit here on the Seawan Salisbury Show. Dan, I was able to sit down with Joe before you guys went to spring training, and what an engaging time it was. And we were talking about from a rookie manager. And I remember last year I asked you, is there a big learning curve for him? You say, no, he's been in baseball long enough. She should fit right in. Well, bingo and he and you know, you're going to learn along the way like a like a new player, but he'd been in baseball, so from year one to year two and asking him about, oh, yeah, there's a lot of growth that happens. Have you seen growth from Joe even though it's early in year two? Have you seen growth from a rookie year manager to now?
Speaker 7: Yeah? I mean I think you know you grow in that you know, you learn through your decision making process of you know, certain decisions that you have to make that you know, whether it's to you know, play this guy or you know not play this guy, pitch this guy or not bring this guy in. There's a learning curve, you know. Uh. You know, Joe's experience, though, will will help him to bypass a lot of the learning curve.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 7: And so you know, look, this guy has has been a good leader down in that clubhouse. He's been here for a long time. His presence is is well known, and he's got big respect down there, and so we look for big things.
Speaker 4: Teter Brown joined us for his weekly visit Dana with Lance mccollors. After his first start and then coming into somebody had asked me and I said, well, I want to see how he feels from start one to start two, coming back after you know, all the injuries and how he's feeling. So just kind of hanging around, what what what's the kind of the feel for him on the recovery process before he gets to make his second start.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 7: You know, it's all about how you feel after that start, and uh, you know, faithfully, Lance said, he feels good, and so that's a good thing. And so you know, uh, you know, I look forward to good things on his next start. I was very uh satisfied with his With his start, you know, he threw three and two third scoreless innings. Pitch count got up a little bit, uh, you know after especially after he hit that batter, but stuff looked pretty crisp. Uh, change up. It's really good. Fastball's coming out real good, uh, and the sliders working. So you know, look, he's he's working to get back to the old lancefer Colors. I think he's right there on the brink. And overall, he looked good, very satisfactory outing, and I expect good things to come out of him the rest of the way.
Speaker 4: Hey, and I'm gonna get back to your team and an overall baseball question because I want to seek your expertise on this or just your opinion. Do we need a salary cap in Major League Baseball?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Look, I can't get into you know, the thought process on you know what we need, you know, in terms of salary caps or anything like that. You know, very delicate situation. But you know, I would say, you know, it's working for some other uh sports, but ultimately, you know, we can't really we can't really get into that, you know, particularly at this junction.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there you go, and the rules are set. Got to deal with them and operate within him. Dana Brown for his weekly visit here on Sports Talk seven ninety All right, update on on yourd on and where we are and how he's feeling.
Speaker 7: Yeah, feeling a lot better.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 7: Look, ultimately, you know your lions had you know this, uh, you know before you know the you know, the muscle strain in the right hand. You know, these power hitters, man, you know, they swing big bats and sometimes you know, you know, their hands whill will get a little aggravated. The good thing is that we don't think this is going to be long. We jumped on it right away when he said he didn't feel good, and so you know, this muscle strain shouldn't you know, shouldn't take long at all. You know, hopefully we get him back here, you know, within the next week or so. But you know, I think look that was probably part of you know, what he was feeling and getting couldn't get through it, and this thing happens, and and so that the best thing is to let it heal, give him some time off and then get the real jord On on the other side of this injury. And so you know, but he's doing well. The pain is gone and we just have to let it, uh, just let it heal and rest.
Speaker 4: Hey, Dana, is just just to make sure we're clear. So when we're not giving out any wrong information, this in and you kept you're saying the muscle. So this is a soft tissue, not a structural issue with his hand.
Speaker 7: Correct, It's a muscle strain and so that's a good thing. So there's no ligaments or anything like that. Uh, just a soft tissue and we're always going to be fine. It's just gonna be a few days. I mean, you know for most people you know who are out there. You know, when you when you strain a muscle, you got you you really have to let it rest and once it heals, you're you're back to normal. And so, as I mentioned before, this guy swings a big bat. He's a big power hitter, and these things happen with with hitters from time to time.
Speaker 4: You the partial Jake Myers, we've talked about elite defender Dana and you know, the last couple two three years, if he's the center fielder for the most part and plays great defense, and he's had his struggles at the plate. So I'm just kind of curious with you guys, because you guys have held him in high regarden, rightfully, So I'm just curious about is this closer to the hitter that you expected when you evaluate him? And can he continue this? Can he be a two eighty two eighty five guy throughout the season applied with that elite defense.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think Jake moore a is a you know, two fifty to two to seventy guy. I will definitely take the two eighty he can give us. Yeah, if he can give us, if he can give us a two fifty to two to seventy average with a seven to fifty ops, that would be very welcome. And right now he's doing very well with the bat. Of course, he's great defensively, and you know, he's pretty much fulfilling his potential as a hitter right now and he's playing a little bit above that and that's great, you know, that's that that increases his h impact on the team. And so that's very welcoming u for us, of course, and so we hope he continues this to continue this hot streak, and he's been playing well for us, and you know, with that big game that he had, he pretty much carried us.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah.
Speaker 7: Sometimes you know, when your big boys go down, or if your big boys aren't hitting, you know, you need some of the guys, you know, at the bottom of the lineup to be able to pick you up a little bit. And Jake, you know, has been able to do that, and that's very welcoming and like, you know, getting the defense on top of that, that's a beautiful thing.
Speaker 4: Hey, Dan, is there anything different you you evaluate this? It's been a specialty years for years. Is there anything different about his approach at the plate or mechanically that we're seeing different from him than we have in the past.
Speaker 7: Yeah. I think what happens when these guys turn the corner like this, they bear down, they get good pitches to hit, they take the bad pitches, and they get in good hitting counts. He likes to hit, you know, he does damage early, and so I think, you know, he's getting his pitch and he's been driving it and doing well. And I think a big part of any major league success as a hitter, it's it's simple as hit good pictures, take bad pitches and sometimes the stuff at the major league level is so nasty that, you know, pictures starting to strike zone, you know, pictures fall out of the strike zone, and that that's the difficulty of hitting, and that's why we don't have a ton of great major league hitters. I mean, it's it's the toughest thing it's sports to do to hit a round object with a round object square and so, uh, you know, hitting could be very difficult, and I think that, you know, if we could simplify it, I think when we can turn this thing around too as well.
Speaker 4: Data with young players, whether it's a rookie or a guy who's you know, been in the minor leagues and getting his opportunity and is in the infancy of his career, Well, what's I don't know if tougher is the right word, but what's the way you approach it? Is it just individual like more, play them every day so they can fight through the stuff, or rest him more, and it's becomes a platoon, you know what I'm saying, when you're still trying to find themselves. What's the best way to do it at bats every day or let him sit and watch time play two rest to play to rest one. How's that approach or is it just an individual thing depending on the player.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think when these guys are young sort of they take camp Smith for example, you know, he's a young guy. He he hasn't played a ton of games you know, each year, and so you kind of have to gradually build him up to that and you know, you have to monitor that if he gets hot, you can kind of ride him a little bit, and so you know, you kind of have to ease your way into this. And you know, I think there's going to be a period, you know, right around that you know, one hundred and fifty at BATS or so. I think you're going to really see some explosiveness come. And I think he's showing us, you know, glimpse of coming attractions and that's the beauty of it. But you know, to make no mistake, I think camp Smith is going to be pretty good, you know, just using him as an example of, you know, right, and I think you're starting to see it some with the Cinzo you got some time last year. You're starting to get you know, into this thing a little bit more. And these young guys, I think these are going to be two you know, corner pillars for us down the stretch, you know, and and in the years to come, you know, you may have the Cinzo and left Camon right, and these are going to be two big pieces for us down the stretch. And these guys are learning on the job and they're going to be good. I mean, they both have power. They both can hit with power. You know. The defense is really you know coming. You know, camp Smith has been really good, right the Sinzo is getting better every day. And so sometimes these young guys you really have to bring them along gradually. You know, some young players they come in and they're like gangbusters right away, and the other players you have to bring along. And I think both these guys were bringing them along the right way, and we don't want to overwhelm them. And you're going to see some success, h for sure. And then they're starting to show it, Dana.
Speaker 4: And I'll leave you with this in two years. I've asked you this question a couple of times and you haven't missed on this yet. So i'll ask it with Descenzo five years from now. What position is he a regular at in base? Where do you see him with your talent evaluation? Where is his spot, whether it's on this to anywhere. I'm just saying, where's he going to be a regular at in his career? Position wise?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think it's going to be left field or or first base. You know, it would be my thought process from an evaluation standpoint. You know, Ut potentially those two positions, you know, depends on how it plays out. And you know, once once the bat comes, it's got a chance to be a pretty big one because he's got really good at the velocities in power. So uh but yeah, those two positions, Uh, it's where he may end up being a regular. I think he'll have some games where he can date and do some things like that as well. But those are the two positions I would I would project kind of.
Speaker 4: Nice having an outside linebacker with that kind of versatility and can run and hit. Hunt Dana, it's not a bad gig? Is it not a bad gig?
Speaker 7: Do what big do? That isn't in power?
Speaker 4: We'll take it any day of the week. Data good stuff, man. We'll look forward to talking to you next week, and we really appreciate your time as always.
Speaker 7: All right, let's turn it around Astro fans right now is coming home and we got a good chance to get on the run. So we're eighteen and eighteen thirty six then and got one hundred and twenty six to go.
Speaker 4: There you go appreciate it, but who's counting? Right there? You go data. Thanks, Ma, I appreciate it, look forward to it next week. He'll join us on Wednesday at nine thirty. We'll be right back. We'll finish it up, talk about what Dana said and some really good stuff in there. It is Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: This is the Sean Salisbury Show, Salsbury.
Speaker 4: That's beutiful third.
Speaker 6: So I'm guessing that about middle of next week he could come back, and it sounds like we're on track for that to maybe be a case.
Speaker 4: He said, it's progressing and as long as it's not bothering, and we'll see. It's always setbacks always concern me on soft tissue because at some point you got to tell you when it's structural, you know, you go either get it fixed and repaired or the structure part, well, how do you know? You know constant, you know, MRIs and the rest of it. But you can like a hamster, it's like tangible right right, The tangible part of a soft tissue, and so what do you do after a handful of days. You got to test it, right, So I'm always concerned, like when a guy comes off a hammy, like Steph Curry comes off Miss Game two, come off of hammy, how will the quick burst and the quick twitch happen? And I'm always concerned, Well, look, it could be a flare up. So in the soft tissue, that's what you got to guard against is and at some point you got to lead up to it because you just don't want to run him back and they say, oh, it feels good, and all of a sudden, first thing he takes it's the you know, it starts to linger. That's my only concern about soft tissue is the lingering and when it comes to your hand or the wrist area. Dude, when you're a big power hitter who, like you said, there's going to be strain and stress on it. So that's my concern better than structural. But you just got to guard against the lingering. And then truth Dan, at the end of this, if it's ten days and he's not ready to come back, that there'll be a reason for it. Now, I don't know how much it would be alarm, but the soft tissue. If you think he's healthy, take a couple extra days as the way I would. But I'm not a doctor. It just you don't want it to linger all year. We're in Game one hundred, one hundred and it's still still a problem. Yeah.
Speaker 6: And you know, with Cam Smith and Zach Dezenzo, I mean talking about those guys saying they could be corner pillars for the organization for years to come.
Speaker 4: That's what I see.
Speaker 7: I do.
Speaker 4: Now he mentioned first base, which he's built for that as well. But if he's versatile enough where you can still find that first basement and put that guy in the outfield, that's you just not not just cornerstone. Two corner outfielders that are that are really really freaking good man. For sure. I'm saying, big body, power guys that can hit the baseball and cover. I'm anxious to see both of their as they evolve. But if you're not excited about that, you know both of them. But we were talking to Senzo. If the like I said, if the performance matches the the bill and the physical prowess, you're in for a corner outfield is pretty nasty man, for sure.
Speaker 6: It's good to always have guys that you can count on, not only this season but down the road, and so far you've been able to count on both of those.
Speaker 4: I can't wait to see what it looks like this year and moving forward, no doubt about it.
Speaker 6: He Sean Salisbury, Triple, Emmanuel Elmore, Dan Matthews Here, The Matt Thomas Show with Ross coming up right here on your home of the Astros and the Rocket Sports Talk seven ninety. As for us, we'll talk to you in twenty hours right here,