Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine hileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property, and for this week of June second, we are kicking off.
Speaker 3: A new watch.
Speaker 2: It is Duster on HBO Max, starring lost own Josh Holloway and.
Speaker 1: His sloppy hair and his hair and his much older face his mind.
Speaker 2: Told her face in his seventies, garb Oh.
Speaker 1: It is super groovy, it's far out, it's uh, you know, takes me back to the days of my youth.
Speaker 2: So the basic backstory here this is an eight episode series. I believe we watched the first two and we will watch the subsequent ones one week at a time.
Speaker 3: Right, So we watched.
Speaker 2: Number one Baltimore Changes Everything and number two Suspicious Minds. And at first I was like, oh, there's not a lot of parenting in these and then you really I realized. Well, in the first episode, the FBI agent who is one of the leads, called her mom because she was frustrated, and her mom like, there you go always, you always figure it out.
Speaker 3: And then fair enough she.
Speaker 2: Had she had a flash of insight. Yes, And then we have one guy trying to avenge his brother, somebody else trying to avenge their father. We have a stepmother issues, yes, so we.
Speaker 1: Have him driving a young child around much too fast. Don't bring your niece, slash whatever on crime things with you because then the the you know, the kid's gonna want a snack, and in the getting of a snack, the clerk at the place who you're getting the.
Speaker 3: Heart to human heart.
Speaker 1: Heart from to deliver for something else is going to remember that kid, and that's how they're going to find you. So do not parenting tip. Do not bring young children with you on your nefarious criminal dealings. And if you do, bring some cinnamon chips with you, right, having to have a little picnic basket in the back full of treats.
Speaker 3: Parents come prepared.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, this is a basic parenting move. Now he is her sensibly her uncle, although my husband was of the opinion that it was really his daughter. And if there was a clue of that, I missed it. But sure, yeah, I'm not outside the roma possibility in the the girl is pregnant now, so yeah, maybe the girl's mother. Yeah, yes, I remember her when she was a cheerleader on the Disney Channel. I'm ana calling a girl. I'm sorry, no offense.
Speaker 2: Well, I just didn't want her to be confused with the child that's right in the car. But yeah, there's a part where she's she's talking to Sawyer, you know, his name is Jim on this show, and she's like, this is why she can't know, So that I.
Speaker 1: Believe that was it. That's what my husband heard, and I did not picked up. It does seem as though just all sorts of possible dishonesties and cover ups.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's quite the tangles, so tangled. I barely got in.
Speaker 2: I glossed over much of the the setup, which is that there's this brand new FBI agent, a black woman named Nina Hayes who comes to the Phoenix Bureau or Phoenix office of the Bureau at her own request, and they were like, we're not doing this because you asked for it, but sure you can go. So she's there because she wants to take down this crime boss guy. And Sawyer Jim is a driver.
Speaker 3: For this crime boss dude.
Speaker 2: So but she figures out that she can get him working for her, right, so that is her plan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she is from Baltimore, and so does he nickname her Baltimore or do other people.
Speaker 2: Call her that he calls her that he's.
Speaker 1: Into the nicknames in this this is basically Sawyer sent back in time from the island and you know, given a whole nother identity. But it looks the same except that his face is considerably and I know there's some of the reviews of it have said that it doesn't make sense what age is he supposed to be because it's the seventies and if he was in Vietnam, it would have been not long ago enough for him to look as old as he does. So is he supposed to be his actual Josh Halla away age or is he supposed to be a different age, in which case more makeup? Please? What is exactly? And I think it's one of those you have to let art flow over you man, just just lay back and enjoy the grooby vibes and don't ask questions. And you know, it's fun to see recognizable people popping up, like Corbyn Burnson is his dad? And yes, Patrick Warburton was the guy in the second episode Sunglasses. Yes, and the weird creepy cop who's blackmailing Jim is Don't a Loge. I don't know if you've seen seen him in anything, but I would never have recognized him. I read a review that said an unrecognizable Don't a Lope character, and I'm like, like, why, Yes, it is unrecognizable. I looked up it up and I am dB and sure enough he's there. And so they've you know, pulled in a lot of.
Speaker 2: And I couldn't figure out what I remembered. The actor who plays Ninah Rachel Hilson, she it was on This is Us. She played the young version of the wife of Sterling K. Brown's character in Flashbacks.
Speaker 1: If you Will everybody's here, been in something somewhere. Gaelo Grady is the bad stepmom and lots of faces. It's a good it's a big IMDb show.
Speaker 3: Who is this?
Speaker 1: I recognize that person?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah? And you know who plays so there was an agent before before Nina who was you know, working on this case and who is mysteriously no longer there.
Speaker 3: And she goes to.
Speaker 2: See his wife and his wife is played by Adrian Barbo.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Who Then they have some young twinkie playing right party? Yep, Oh my gosh, I did not realize that.
Speaker 2: Yeah that found on IMTB.
Speaker 1: Wow, excellent, what a fun thing because I was thinking Adrian Barbo feels about it being a being a youngster in this thing. But oh good, I am so glad. Good for her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she said, sure, you can do that, as long as you give me a part.
Speaker 1: Yes, And Greg Grunberg, briefly of Lost, turns up in a thankless role of the Captain. I guess who has to keep telling her no, stop doing these things.
Speaker 3: Oh that's who that guy is.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, yes, the boss.
Speaker 3: But we have been have we seen him? I'm lost yet?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's the pilot.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, he's.
Speaker 1: On for like about thirty seconds. He killed by a monster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thrown up in the tree. Yeah, okay, gotcha.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gosh, this is his flashbag. He was working in the FBI for a long time and then he became a pilot. Can't look out for that. But yeah, it's a lot, got a lot going on. Yeah, and interesting to see all the different actors and you know, it's it's gonna be I can see here and going forward it's going to be a heavily Hey it's that guy cast. Yes, So that's always fun, right. I enjoy that. I enjoy that because I am dB is a thing that exists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you didn't have IM before that, it would be extremely annoying.
Speaker 1: Yes, So let us all just give a moment.
Speaker 3: Say thank you. I AMDB.
Speaker 1: Thank you, I am dB. I'm so glad you're here. Yes, And you know, just just sort of like I do often wi shazam, just like you know, the internet and cell phones have a lot to answer for, lots of bad things, lots of ills of society boo, but they got it right a few times. And let's celebrate the things that make our lives easier. That we don't have to go that guy, that guy, who's that guy? Do you recognize that guy who was that guy in? That guy was in something and now we can look up so lots of that guys in this this thing. Absolutely, you know, shady, questionable dealings and scandals that run deep, lots of people you can't trust.
Speaker 3: All the way to Washington, d C.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, it's it's they're going to be against her every minute. But I do like the fact that they gave her a backstory other than just I am super ambitious and I'm taking this hard case and I'm going to be that she has a personal connection to It works out very well, right, So, but yikes, seems like maybe you've got idea to just move someplace else and just leave all the stumpine. Lots of bad stuff going on, And how did that guy not get killed? The un loge somehow survives getting shot a whole bunch of times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, many times.
Speaker 1: With extreme prejudice. It's not like they just were kind of trying to scare him. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But although with sunglasses supposed to be blind.
Speaker 1: Maybe so, maybe so, or maybe just the thickness of the glasses made it difficult to aim, but it looked to me like he was aiming right at his head. Yeah, and that he should have been. But you know, you know, big bads die hard, so he's going to be around to make trouble. I guess lots of trouble. Trouble everywhere, right, seventies were trouble. Just look at the clothes. Oh my gosh, I keep forgetting this is like a period piece. And then they will throw in something like Adrian Barbo talking about how so much she wants to be in mod and I'm like, oh, yeah, right, a long time ago. And oh, that's so funny that that's her. I missed that when I was doing my hay that guy so he just didn't look like her to me at all, But now I see it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also really I enjoy the credits. The opening credits with like toy cars racing in the desert.
Speaker 3: I thought that was cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was well done.
Speaker 3: What else?
Speaker 1: I mean?
Speaker 3: The stepmother.
Speaker 1: Awful?
Speaker 2: And because the dad is kind of sweet.
Speaker 1: You know, I mean, yes, definitely.
Speaker 2: He's trying to be there for his son in a weird way, and she is trying to stop him.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed the In the second episode, you get a lot more of the father son with.
Speaker 3: Jim and his dad.
Speaker 1: So I enjoyed there at the beginning of the second episode, just like Max throwing in, Oh hey, by the way, it's cable enjoy this bear boob. Yeah, for no reason whatsoever, just as we can.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I feel like, are they going to basically start every episode of him waking up in someone else's bed?
Speaker 3: Could well be that's.
Speaker 1: Just their fun little cast and call out for ladies who would like to show off.
Speaker 2: One one body part, one.
Speaker 1: Body part, one naked body part. Yeah, but really take their clothes when they're in the show. Leave them only address.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but let's see.
Speaker 1: You know, I was noticing they were. This could kind of be a parenting tip if you have like some sensitive thing to talk about something would be bad for other people to hear about something you're kind of trying to keep secret. Maybe a personal discussion with your kid about something or about some friends or other people. Maybe don't have it in a dust at like full voice. You know. The two FBI agents are our two heroes, are just sitting there in a diner talking about these dangerous people and what they're going to do, and it's like, should not be you know, maybe a booth in the back at least would be a little more circumspect, because this is they've they've painted this guy as such a big bad that he's going to know everything. He's connected everywhere. There's not like a henchman in the next booth. There's not like a waitress who's on the take. You guys, guys, take care of yourselves. We like you. Her little partner who I'm afraid she's going to get in trouble is the what was it what is his name?
Speaker 3: One?
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, he's great.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's very sweet, and I want her to take good care of him because she's getting him in all sorts of trouble. That's not really his trouble, except that he would like to be respected at bi agent. Also, yeah, they had that nice little conversation at the end of the second episode, but all sorts of problems. Other parenting tips, you know, interesting that even families of dangerous, scary gangsters have sibling rivalry. Might think that if you are the kind of dad this guy is, that your kids would be afraid of you and that they would just they would either stick together out of that fear or they would, you know, not make trouble for you. But nope, brother and sister are going at it. Sister's doing scary things. The kid, can you just give somebody a heart transplant? Like in a basement. Isn't there like immune immunotherapy drugs that need to be taken, Well, I suppose you could steal those. He looks fine. He's just laying there in his bedroom, ntering with his sister.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and her whole thing is yep. And uh.
Speaker 1: You know one thing that I would like to share. Nina did this, and I would advise this not to be done. From a parenting point of view, tell your kids. Don't do push ups with your hands on the floor of a parking garage and then touch up your hair with same hands. Bring some wet wipes with you if you if you feel like you must do push ups right, you know, also know that kids will remember things that happened and will look for revenge. Nina's dad may feel that he covered up well what was going on and that she never knew anything about it. But kids are noticing right when something's off, and if things go south, they will come, you know, they will go through school and through FBI training and all of that to come back and make trouble. So ask them to go into the other don't bring them to work with you if you think you're gonna have some trouble. Uh, spare them the revenge, right. Ditto brothers getting blown up. Yeah, don't tell your kids details of your crime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a there's a lot of don't do it care.
Speaker 1: Right, but there was also Uh when the when her partner is talking about, you know, the things that he's he's good at but nobody appreciates. That's a difficult thing when your kid has strengths that do not match his particular time in life or his particular circle or uh, you know time in history.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, if only things were different, this would be really great. But you gotta find you something else, buddy. Yeah, yeah, I've had that feeling. So help your child find something. Either strengthen those things and find an outlet for them, right, or see if you can steer them into something or more appreciable and less likely to get you killed than being in the FBI, right, and being the guy in the FBI who says, but I can do all these things, and I will use those to help somebody that you don't approve of, and we'll just both get shot somewhere. Yeah, I'm worried about them. I'm worried about him in particular, because I'm pretty sure she's not going to get shot a partner. I'm pretty sure that Nina's not going to get shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you're you're worried about the partner.
Speaker 1: I'm worried about the partner.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Don't go on IMDb if you want to.
Speaker 1: Yes, I don't want to count how many episodes.
Speaker 3: You Yeah, yeah, so I wouldn't recommend that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh well I don't want to be right about that, but they certainly are setting it up up.
Speaker 2: Right, So I would say this is enjoyable little uh you know, there is there's some gruesomeness.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Leaving aside the human heart and getting sprayed in the eye with blood during that during that surgery, there was a lot of other grisliness, and I imagine that will continue.
Speaker 3: But yes, it's a fun watch.
Speaker 1: Constant sense of foreboding and dread, like what whatever ideot is they can go wrong is going to go wrong and there will be blood. Yes, but and you know, and every white man is evil. So except for Jim and his dad, every every white my man in the FBI.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah they're not.
Speaker 2: I mean Greg Grunberg is, he's on the on the fence like he can be sweet.
Speaker 1: Telling her to stop doing what she's doing. So he's covering up whatever is needing to be covered up, right, But then when.
Speaker 2: She she goes to him and says that she's got him to be her informant, he's impressed.
Speaker 1: M Okay, maybe I missed that part. All I saw was him telling her stop doing what you're doing. Yeah, or I'm going to send.
Speaker 3: You back and you're going to Butte.
Speaker 1: Yes. I bet there's trouble in Butte. I bet if you were an enterprising person looking for evil, you could mind it in Butte.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: But she is looking for one particular.
Speaker 1: She has a personal steak, she does. I think they frowned on personal stakes probably, but so she got to keep it on the deal. Now that she's told somebody, the person that she tells is going to be immediately at risk. Yeah yeah, never mind, right, Well, well we'll see so future episode. Yes, maybe he just went off to another series. Maybe that's it. They sent them in another case.
Speaker 3: Let's hope.
Speaker 2: Well, so next Wednesday we will continue with episode three, the title of which seems to be a say secret. It is going to drop on.
Speaker 3: The day. It's going to drop tonight.
Speaker 2: As of this recording, but I cannot find anywhere on the internet the name of this.
Speaker 1: Episode, So that's weird. Wouldn't it have dropped? It drops Thursday night?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Huh, Yeah, it's still episode one.
Speaker 3: One three, So we'll let you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess we could.
Speaker 3: Well, we'll put it in the show notes.
Speaker 2: Yes, we'll know by then, so we'll be back for that, and we'll also see you here tomorrow for our weekly Roundabout roundup.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcast Guests, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash shop slash mamitude. But you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years,