Speaker 1: Fed up with the everyday grind, tired out by the dull routine, you want to get away from it at all.
Speaker 2: We offer you.
Speaker 3: Escape Escape Transcribe to free you from the four walls of today for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 1: You are alone in the jungle with three men. You know that one of them is a desperate criminal whom you've come to arrest, but you don't know which one. You have to find him before he can save himself by killing you.
Speaker 3: Today we escape from reality into the depths of a tropical jungle in a tantalizing search for a murder. As L. G. Blackman told it in his famous story Red Wine.
Speaker 4: The rusty little tramp freighter bumped against the rickety wharf, and I dropped from the rail under the planking for the first time, felt the humid heat. Roll out of the jungle. This was Tanjongg Samar, sweltering half forgotten last out post on the rubber coast of Borneo. I crossed the beach and walked up the path of crushed shells leading to a low bungalow at the edge of the jungle. The freighter would lie at the wharf for four hours plenty of time for me to get the thing over with and be back aboard. When she sailed, I was expecting trouble, of course, but no real danger. I'd done jobs like this before, or at least I thought this would be the same. I thought so on until I stepped up on the porch and met her. Kurt Controller, the tan Junk Sama District.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm here, Kert the Controller. What does that I can do for you?
Speaker 4: My name's Paul Vernier, mister Kurt. I have a letter of introduction here from the Governor General.
Speaker 5: Mister from the United States.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the governor promised me your cooperation.
Speaker 5: So I see cooperation is good. But he does not say cooperation in what.
Speaker 4: I've come here after? A killer, mister Kurt.
Speaker 5: Oh diyas maybe headhunters.
Speaker 4: No, this one's a civilized killer. An American wanted in San Francisco for murdering his wife. His name is Jerome Steaks.
Speaker 5: I see, I won't just sit down, mister, won't you call? He died in Jeff King Head.
Speaker 6: I brang right away.
Speaker 5: Coffee in a moment.
Speaker 4: Nice of you, but maybe I better pick this guy up first. I'd hate to miss the boat and have to lay over five days.
Speaker 5: You're acquainted with this Steaks, mister, No, I've never seen him, and you have photographs right, not no fingerprints.
Speaker 4: Now, this happened two years ago. Until next month we had it listed as a double suicide. What are you driving at, mister Kurk.
Speaker 5: Simply this. There's no one in my district by the name of Steaks.
Speaker 4: Now, he wouldn't be using his own name. Of course. There is an American here though, three.
Speaker 5: Of them, mister Vania, employed as foreman on the Kota Rubber plantation here Tanjong Sama.
Speaker 4: According to my information, Steaks came here from Batavia about six months ago.
Speaker 5: They all arrived six months ago on the same board. The quota company is just going back into operation.
Speaker 4: You understand, I see well. According to people who have seen him, Jerome Steaks as a man about thirty five years old, of medium heights, light build, pale complexion, with black hair and mustache.
Speaker 5: Amazing. Any one of these men might fit that description, except that all are clean shaven and heavily tanned from the tropical sun. Furthermore, mister, all three of the men have lied blonde hair.
Speaker 7: Julie Shi, Jeff Fete good.
Speaker 5: War too, Cups one. I won't bring your baggage up from the war. For mister Finigiel, it appears to your business may take a little longer than four hours.
Speaker 4: I'm certain of the information I got in, but Tavia, I know the man's here.
Speaker 5: Then the problem resolved itself into a matter of identification.
Speaker 4: And I always talk with the three of them. Are to do that?
Speaker 5: I doubt that, mister finigil The swarms here at Tanjung summer are infested with fever cream. It is always hot like now, and the jungles back they are swarm with crites crist a deadly little snake no longer than your four arms. There you are, and in the rivers they are crocodiles. So men rarely come here unless they are running away from something, trying to lose their past. I think you'll find all three men have manufactured stories, so I always want to choose.
Speaker 4: Well, sometimes a man can be identified by his personality.
Speaker 5: And the personality of this man, Sneaks is it's something out of the ordinary, or.
Speaker 4: A forman and a rubber plantation. Yes, I doubt if all three of these men can be aristocrats. And in a sense, well that's what Steaks is a cosmopolity. He's lived all around the world, always associating with top society. He's a lover of fine foods and wine. Speaks French and German fluently. He's a come bon vivant, a man of perfect taste in clothes and manners.
Speaker 5: And a murderer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the murderer.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Well, when the three men returns this evening, I should be most happy to introduce you to them, though it's quite probable they are aware of your identity already. My houseboy there told me you were a detective before you stepped off the wharf.
Speaker 4: I see so. In other words, the murderer probably knows who I am and what I'm here for, but I haven't the slightest idea who he is exactly.
Speaker 5: It's quite an interesting thought, isn't it a more?
Speaker 2: Mister, mister Faniel, I should like you to.
Speaker 5: Meet mister Doran.
Speaker 8: I am mister.
Speaker 5: This is mister William Mettin.
Speaker 7: My name is Prayer, glad to meet you same here.
Speaker 4: Mister Praile might as well.
Speaker 7: Drop the mister. We don't use it much around here. I'm Prayer. That's Duran, It's Wilmedini. And if it's all the same to you, sure.
Speaker 4: Praille, Why not?
Speaker 5: Hi, you gentlemen, will excuse me. I have a number of things to do. Will you bring mister Vannier to my bungalow for dinner? We'll celebrate having a guest in tan junkson.
Speaker 6: Uh her Kurt tells me all three of you are Americans. I know whether I'm still one or that men of the States in seven years.
Speaker 4: Seven years, I think you're an old timer here, No, not here Australia.
Speaker 9: Don't get them started, Ban He'll spend two hours telling you how he lost his shirt trying to raise sheep. Now, man, if I had either money or sense, I wouldn't have come to the stinking hole.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't say you fellas had it too rough. Noticing those empty bottles there on the shelf, what do you mean for there, Hm, Paul my Son nineteen thirty six. That's a good champagne. You boys are living like Conda sirrs.
Speaker 9: Oh no, no, you're overrating us. Many those empty bottles already here when we came. Oh just never got around of throwing him out, Prairie.
Speaker 6: Here's the only kind of syr in the bench he can tell you anything you want to know about wines, yeah, or about anything.
Speaker 7: Uh, dry up just because a guy happens to know a little more and somebody else. There's no reason to keep riding them all the time.
Speaker 8: We should n't you some way to make ice?
Speaker 6: Getting plenty fed up with warm beer day in and day out.
Speaker 4: Here, that would get pretty tiresome. I think I'd switch to Champartane or Sable or something. Come again, Well, I didn't necessarily mean those in particular, but quite a number of wines is even better warm than the hot children.
Speaker 8: Now you're in the wrong place, Jim. We wouldn't know what to do with him. If we had him.
Speaker 6: This is strictly a beer and gin crowd.
Speaker 9: Well, it'd be no kick on that if we had some ice to go with it. Oh what I wouldn't give for a cold, frosty bottle.
Speaker 7: A relax when you won with dang, you're making me thirsty. How about some music music?
Speaker 4: There's one of you play some instruments.
Speaker 6: Sure, prayer, he's terrific. I'm that phonograph over there in the corner. Only trouble is he thinks three o'clock in the morning is the greatest song ever written.
Speaker 4: Well, I can see that that would lead to quite an argument, Iran, particularly if you're a lover of the classics.
Speaker 6: No, I don't go for that long hair stuff. But I would like to hear a fast number once in a while. It's less than ten years old.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you ought to see this collection prail drive up here from Batavia, strictly from the gay nineties.
Speaker 4: Prayer You don't buy any chance? Have a number called young Meruti set my own?
Speaker 1: Ah, some Italian opera.
Speaker 4: Oh no, no, it's French.
Speaker 6: Well, come on, bray, I'll translate it for us.
Speaker 8: You claim to be an expert on the French language.
Speaker 7: Oh it's worded kind of funny, like poetry.
Speaker 8: Ah sure, sure.
Speaker 7: And a last word though, uh maison that means house.
Speaker 4: I know that it's too bad. I thought maybe Jerome Steaks might translate it. It refers to him. Of course, what are you talking about? The sentence reads, there is a murderer in this house.
Speaker 6: Huh, Well, so you're finally coming out of me open.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we heard you were a detective, Bronnie.
Speaker 7: You're after some killer. You've never seen him. Steaks, you figure one of us, is it?
Speaker 4: That's right?
Speaker 7: Prail and the guy you're after's woman Ding.
Speaker 4: Are you crazy?
Speaker 7: Whoever heard of anybody with a name like Wilma Ding unless they made it up?
Speaker 2: Up? Nothing?
Speaker 1: I got a passport to prove it.
Speaker 5: What are you trying to do?
Speaker 4: Prail?
Speaker 7: Turn attention away from yourself. I got nothing to hire you to you a durant.
Speaker 6: You can leave me out of this right now. There's plenty of people in Australia who can tell you who I am.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, oh, there's nobody in tan Jiang Samar who can tell me for certain who any of you are. One of you is a murderer, and by the time the boat gets back here, I'll know which one. Either I'm going to take your own steaks back to San Francisco, or I'm going to kill him trying to you can count it? Well, what do you say We go on over to Kurt's bungalow and have dinner.
Speaker 5: That's Wilmating's room there. Doraan sleeps here and pray long down at the end. And this is the guest room, or at least the only guest room that's usable at present.
Speaker 4: Looks all right, Well.
Speaker 5: It's yours for the time you're here. Step in there?
Speaker 4: Or do all of these rooms open out under the porch?
Speaker 5: Yes, the veranda as we call it here.
Speaker 4: And there's no way to lock this store unfortunately.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 5: Anyway, the windows are covered only by mosquito netting. It makes another interesting situation, does it not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I suppose interesting is.
Speaker 5: The word for it. Most likely all these gentlemen are acting to a great error, that's an extent, which of course makes your problem exceedingly difficult.
Speaker 4: That's right, mister Kurt. You did say a man rarely came here unless he wanted to lose his past.
Speaker 5: Yet yoh, yeah, that is true. But then I'm only a servant of the government and happy little choice what I'm saying. No, Well, good night, mister Peniel Kirk. I trust you'll have a very comfortable night.
Speaker 4: I thank you. I sat there for a long time after Kurt left, trying to figure things out getting nowhere. This was born here though the common lantern on the table at my elbow threw a blaze of white light into every corner of the room. Outside that light lay the dark verandah, and beyond that the jungle. Gradually, the night breeze brought the smell of the jungle into the room, as rich and as exotic as the scent of taboo, fragrant as midnight orchid, as disturbing as the scent of danger. Or maybe maybe it was danger itself. I was smelling A heavy knife, missed my throat by two inches, thudd it into the bamboo partition and stuck their quivering. I doused the later and one sweet, dropped down on the floor and slid my thirty eight out of its holster. I could hear nothing but the rustle of palm thatch along the eaves, low creeks from the pilings underneath the bungalow, the soft night sounds from the jungle. Finally, I slipped my shoes off, pulled the knife out of the wall and dropped it in my pocket, moved to the door, and stepped quietly out onto the verandah. It was empty. Across the railing, the fringe of undergrowth was dappled in silver moonlight.
Speaker 5: Nothing moved.
Speaker 4: I paused quickly at the three doors, and from each heard the sound of snoring. One of the men was faking, but which one. I'd reached the end of the porch when my eye caught a slight movement in the banana clump a few yards from the steps. Some one was hiding there and moved swiftly, holding the gun ready. Came within a few feet before I could make out his shape, in a red and white saran, complete with dark tumbled curls and a flower behind one ear.
Speaker 10: It was a girl, at least one the gun. You are going to shoot menuh?
Speaker 4: I relax, Honny. I was looking for somebody else.
Speaker 10: And now you have found Milana. So you are disappointed?
Speaker 4: Well, I look, did you see anybody moving around up there on the veranda while agoch only you?
Speaker 10: Twe? I became frightened and ran to hide right away. I should not be here at night. I mean, let us talk of something else. Uh all right, Nollana twe? Do you like Milana barette?
Speaker 4: Definitely?
Speaker 10: Why do we not go somewhere else along the beach? Perhaps you would like that?
Speaker 5: Mister is too serious minded for such things.
Speaker 4: Never mister Kirk to join us, watcher.
Speaker 5: Thank you. Lana go to the bungalore at once?
Speaker 10: Yes, min yes, I go, I go immediately.
Speaker 5: She just no business being not alone at night. But Stephanie, is something wrong with your room? It's not comfortable?
Speaker 4: It was until this flew in through the window. A knife, Yeah, a throwing knife. Never said before?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah, it's one of the collections. Turns a bungalow to see Americans saw them at tid that's every evening and wager on the results. I believe mister Doran taught the other two.
Speaker 4: What about you, mister Kurt, do you have a bet with it?
Speaker 5: Would be too easy? Watch I learned to throw a knife in Java many years ago.
Speaker 4: And Nlana, I suppose she's an expert at it too.
Speaker 5: Milana knows nothing of knife her greatest accomplishment. Instead of making friends too easily.
Speaker 4: I see, just who is she anyway? Does she live here?
Speaker 5: Yeah, she lives here. She is my wife, your wife, exactly my wife. Good night, mister Vania.
Speaker 3: In just a moment, we will return to escape, but first coming to you in succession, Spike Jones, Jack Benny, and Amos and Andy bring you ninety non stop minutes of superlative joy every Sunday night. When you hear them among CBS's ten great Sunday Night shows, The Spike Jones Show and Amos and I heard over most of these same CBS stations, and Jack Benny comes to you over them all, and now with our star Jeff Chandler, we returned to the second act of escape and red wine.
Speaker 4: When I finally turned in that night, I didn't make the mistake of lighting the lantern again. Being a target once in an evening was enough, and dressed in the dark, pushed the bed up to block the door, propped a chair against the window sill, and lay down on the floor. I kept trying to fit some theory together to account for the things that had happened. When I drifted off to sleep, I was no nearer any answer than before I woke up with the first light of dawn. For a full minute was ready to predict a peaceful day. Then I turned my head slightly and saw it on the flow against the wall, eighteen inches from my left handed, its eyes open and unmoving, lay a kright first cousin to the cobra, the deadliest snake in borneo. Cold sweat broke out on my forehead ran into the corners of my eyes. Not daring to make any sudden move, I slid my right hand slowly up behind me and found my gun under the pillow. The snake moved slightly I froze for one long minute. Carefully, I brought the gun over until I had the ugly head centered above the foresight. Then I did curt in here.
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 4: Sure, Kik, come on in. I I had an early morning visited there on the floor.
Speaker 5: Kright, did he bite you?
Speaker 8: Ah snake? That's funny?
Speaker 4: What's I cried? Wilma Ding just killed one here in my room?
Speaker 7: Well, there's plenty of my around, but I never heard of one crawling into a room before.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure it did crawl in. I've got an idea it may have been dropped in through the mosquito netting there at the window, eh By home by a guy named Jerome Steaks. Have you hear, um Duran, Why don't you pick up Wilma Ding?
Speaker 7: He's your man?
Speaker 1: Oh sure sure.
Speaker 9: I always carry a couple of snakes around my pocket, just for luck.
Speaker 4: What I want to know is who carries this around in their pocket for luck?
Speaker 7: It's one of our nice in the living room. We throw them at a target.
Speaker 4: Yeah I know.
Speaker 6: Last night I was the target and prails your boy. He's an expert, wins every time we play.
Speaker 7: Try up durands.
Speaker 4: All of you so nobody knows anything about these accidents. They just happened. Here's a warning to whichever one of you is steaks the next time, you better cover yourself. I'm through being a clay pigeon from now on. It's going to be a lot tougher, a whole lot tougher. That day passed. The next I got exactly nowhere. Things didn't fit, didn't add up. I saw Nilana several times, but had no chance to speak to her. When her Kurt was with me, she'd pass without a glance. But if I was alone, she'd manage a quick, provocative smile that sent shivers down my spine. By the fourth day, the tension among us had grown almost unbearable. The steamer was due the next evening on its return trip to Batavia. I needed a break of some kind, had to have one. Well, it came at dusk when I dropped into my room to change for dinner. One it is I, Milana, Nelana, What the devil are you doing here.
Speaker 10: To see you? One? Does that make you unhappy?
Speaker 4: No? But I doubt if her curtain think, what's the idea?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 10: He must not find out. That is why I hide here and wait for you.
Speaker 4: We may walk in here any moment.
Speaker 10: It is true to one. It is why I cannot stay now. But I wi something to ask you. It is true that you look for a man who has killed a woman in your United States. Yeah, that's right, A man who now names himself by another name. Yes, perhaps the same one who one night threw the knife at you.
Speaker 4: I think, so, do you know who it is?
Speaker 10: I saw the knife thrown to one I was outside.
Speaker 4: Maybe quiet.
Speaker 10: It is someone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's going into the living.
Speaker 10: But he will come here when he does not find you. I'm very frightened. One.
Speaker 4: I must go.
Speaker 10: There's no time now. Tonight, when everyone sleeps, wait by the tall palm at the edge of the clearing. I will come. Neilana has done foolish things to one, but tonight she will fix it all good. You come.
Speaker 4: I waited for a long time in the shadow by the palm tree, watched the moonlight sift down through the shaggy fronds. But two hours passed. She didn't come. Waiting there though, in the jungle night, plan began to form in my mind. A long shot, true enough, but one with possibilities. It needed luck to work, but I'd come to the point where I had to count on a little luck at any rate. I decided to stop the ball rolling the next morning after breakfast.
Speaker 8: Wait a minute, Venire, let's get this straight.
Speaker 4: I thought i'd put it straight enough to Anna. I said the hunts off, I'm pulling out on that boat tonight. You can, I'll relax.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but five days ago you were a cock eyed Sure it was one of us.
Speaker 8: I'll come the switch.
Speaker 4: Five days ago, Wilmerding, I didn't know you, guys. I was certain of the information I'd picked up in Betavia, and I'm not so certain of it now.
Speaker 7: What change your mind? A sweet disposition?
Speaker 4: No, exactly the opposite, Frail. Now, I doubt very much if any of you guys is who he claims to be. I wouldn't be so prized if Doran, Wilmerding and Prail are all phony names. But that's not my business. I came here after steeks. I've decided now I made a mistake, and that's that.
Speaker 9: Wait a minute, aren't you forgetting the fact that somebody tried to knock you off a couple of times?
Speaker 4: Well, let's just say the reason for that was a side issue, had nothing to do with steaks.
Speaker 7: Come in here, push us around for a week, and decide it was all a mistake.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, Prail, and look, I'm gonna try to make up for it. This evening, I'm throwing at dinner party at here Kurt's bungalow before the port leaves tonight. You're you're all invited.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's pretty decent, have you ever.
Speaker 4: I'll get some food and drinks from the Captain as soon as he docks. If you're as fed up with ry staffel and warm beer as I am, you'll be ready for change. Good goodness, it's all settled, and I can promise you at least two surprise dishes, maybe three if you can. Oh, here, Kurt, come on in.
Speaker 5: I was wondering if and if you had seen the landa this morning.
Speaker 4: Well, what's wrong here, Court.
Speaker 5: I'm rather concerned about time. She has not been home since early last night.
Speaker 4: I had a couple of ideas about that myself, ideas I wished I didn't have anyway. As soon as the rest of the bunch went about their business, I began my own search for Nelana. I didn't know the country, and it was nearly dusk before I found it then I said nothing about it to anyone, But sitting at the table that night, while the dinner party moved along, I was seeing everything through a haze of red, the same color as the red and the saran wrapped around the slim figure of a beautiful girl. I kept thinking how she'd never smile anymore, how she'd never walk in the moonlight again because somebody had cut her throat.
Speaker 7: I know a story along the same lines. I never heard that one before.
Speaker 8: Ah, what a dinner.
Speaker 6: Oh, after six months of rife stuff, I could go crazy about her.
Speaker 7: Yeah, when you throwing from are you already throw it?
Speaker 4: This is only the beginning beginning?
Speaker 7: Where can you go from here?
Speaker 4: Well? Right now? For instance, roast pheasant? All right, one, bring it.
Speaker 7: Over, shirt one right the way. I bring.
Speaker 4: A lot for me to put here for you to cove. Por no, no, I wonder if you'd mind carving it here.
Speaker 5: Curse not at all, mister, Yeah, I should be happy to place it here.
Speaker 6: One boy, I haven't had a roast pheasants since Australia. He used to shoot him all the time.
Speaker 7: Even a smells enough to drive you crazy, you said it.
Speaker 4: Pray, Oh you haven't seen anything, yet the pheasant is the main dish, so the two surprises go right along with it. Wong, bring it out.
Speaker 7: Shirt one, I bring rack a way.
Speaker 4: Not careful, don't drop it? Yeah, oh yeah, thanks. Well there you are. It's Chambertin vintage nineteen eleven, unquestionably the finest red wine that exists in the world today.
Speaker 8: Holy smoke, where'd you get it?
Speaker 4: I found out on the trip in the captain of the steam. I had a few bottles. Took a lot of talgging to get one out of him, but I'll open it one if you got the glasses Shirt one. Good. Oh, boys, you make it back to warm beer tomorrow. But you got the best tonight? How Wang show them a second surprise?
Speaker 7: One big bucket.
Speaker 9: Eyes ice real honesty, gosh, cracked ice or I haven't seen a chunk of ice for six months, so.
Speaker 4: I thought you'd go for that one, all right, Wang, serve the wine, William Wine. You know, it was pretty amazing to find nineteen eleven Chambertan on a little tramp freighter down here in the South Pacific. The stuff's so rare it's hard to get at any price anymore.
Speaker 8: Maybe so, but that ice is what gets me.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's it, Wang, dumb plenty in mind.
Speaker 3: I want to stop that.
Speaker 7: What the w.
Speaker 4: What's the matter, Wilmerding?
Speaker 5: Oh? What well?
Speaker 4: What I mean is that you mean you're well aware of the fact that ice kills the bouquet of Chamboutan. Isn't that it steaks?
Speaker 7: Steaks you mean, Wilburd.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, once a gomee, always a gourmet, a crook with enough sense to keep his hair dyed black for years so he could become a natural blund if he ever had to make a getaway, but not enough sense to keep still and let me roin a bottle of wine. Easy with those hands. Don't try reaching for a gun, Kurt, No, put down that night, govern here's copers.
Speaker 6: Kurt good Lord Kerchief killed him.
Speaker 5: And so you do not have a prisoner to take back with you, mister Vaniel. But I too found her body. I knew you had been there. I saw your footprints.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, good And she was she.
Speaker 5: Had been seeing wilmarthin. I had guessed that was one of them, and apparently she found out he was steaks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know that's what she was going to tell me. He didn't give her a chance.
Speaker 5: She was young, mister Vannier, foolish perhaps, but I loved her very much.
Speaker 7: Hey, look he knocked over the bottle of wine.
Speaker 4: It's pouring out all over the place.
Speaker 8: YEA, Rather what a mess here there?
Speaker 4: I am. It's quite a mess. Only one thing, though not all of it, is Red Wine.
Speaker 3: Escape is produced and directed by Norman McDonald. Today we have presented transcribed Red Wine by L. G. Blackman, adapted for radio by Morton Lewis and Less Crutchfield, with editorial supervision by John Duncle. Starred as Paul Vernier was Jeff Chandler with Barry Kroger's hair Curt Featured players were David Allis, Lou Krugman, Jack Krusian, and Lorette phil Brand. The special music was arranged and played by Ivan at Mars.
Speaker 1: Next week, you are flying over the lonely wastes of the Pacific, lost, torn by the fury of a typhoon, near gasoline running out, and the head of you is an adventure is so strange, so terrifying, that your mind cannot accept it.
Speaker 3: Next week we Escape with Nelson Bond's gripping story of a fantastic conquers Isle. Goodbye, then until this same time next week, when once again CBS offers you escape. Broadway is my beat, says Danny Clover, and he's proud of it. Tomorrow afternoon, over most of these same CBS stations, you'll hear the first of Danny's adventures. You'll hear how a real cop with a real purpose for running down a murder goes about his business, backed by the world's largest police department. Listen in as Danny declares, Broadway is my beat. Now, stay tuned for five minutes of the latest news, to be followed by let's pretend over most of these same CBS stations. This is Roy Rowin speaking for CBS the Columbia Broadcasting System