Speaker 1: This episode may contain content of a graphic nature, including descriptions of physical and sexual violence against adults, children, and animals. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: Hi everyone, I'm Tanya and I'm Tleah and we are Crimes and Consequences, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 3: Hey Shannon, Hey Tanya. How are you doing?
Speaker 2: I am doing great? How are you?
Speaker 3: I am doing pretty good.
Speaker 4: I was on YouTube this afternoon and going over some life.
Speaker 3: Choices I've made in these fifty four years.
Speaker 4: And I thought, you know what, I may have missed my calling on becoming a watercolor artist.
Speaker 3: I fucking love watching those water colors. I just want to pull out my paints. Everything else be damned. I'm painting, and you know, so I got to bring myself down. Yea, what do you do that? How is your day?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: It was good, busy at my new job. And you know, I have also been questioning every life choice ever made in my life. So it's been a it's been a depressing week, but quite heavy.
Speaker 3: Quite a heavy week, it is.
Speaker 2: I told you it's not like I have a bad life, because I don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly, you know, just some choices.
Speaker 4: I shake an angry fist at the sky about you.
Speaker 2: Know, and I'm sure some of our listeners can relate.
Speaker 3: So absolutely, you're a good company.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're we're in a good company. But if you want to do a watercolor, I'd be happy to buy your first I'll be your first commission.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you, you're inspiring me. I think it's not really good. Something in the pinks.
Speaker 2: Yes, Oh, she got what she.
Speaker 3: Got for us.
Speaker 2: Today, I have the Lulu Lemon murders today. Have you ever heard of the Lulu Lemon murders?
Speaker 3: I have not.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, this is one you all need to buckle up for. So and so. Yeah, you're in for quit the gruesome story. So first, I'm going to tell you about a woman named Jana Trexel Murray. She was born in Wichita, Kansas, November twenty second, nineteen eighty. So she is a Sagittarius.
Speaker 3: Ooh she is.
Speaker 2: And she was born to her very loving family. Soon after her birth, the Murray family moved to Houston, Texas. Gina had two older brothers named Hugh and Dirk. They were both married at the time of our story. He was married to a woman named Kate, and Dirk was married to a woman named April, and they had two boys together, Kasey and Jay. So she was an Ean. Yeah. The Murray parents, Jana's parents, they were David and Phyllis. They were just unbelievably proud of their three children and and you know they love their grandchildren. I mean, they were just a really tight knit family.
Speaker 3: Nice. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Jana's dad, David, was a special operations person who did two tours in Vietnam. And in the Murray family there was a strong sense of right versus wrong, all American values right quote unquote.
Speaker 3: Sure, and the military very black and white.
Speaker 2: Right. Jana being the youngest and the only girl, she really was the glue that held this family together. Her brothers and their wives loved her so much. As she's growing up and making a life for herself, the Murray family is seeing her thrive and they're really excited. So when Jana started college, she studied at Saint Louis University in Madrid, Spain for two years, before finishing her bachelor's degree at George Washington University in Washington, d C. In two thousand and three. See, that's another life choice I didn't make with studying abroad.
Speaker 4: So I exactly gotta scribble that one offer good.
Speaker 3: For your lifetime column.
Speaker 2: Good for you, Jana, I know, good for you. So during her undergraduate years, Jana also did a semester at c and I don't know what that entails, but it sounds fun, right does. And after graduation, Jana started working for a company called Halliburton, where she was a market rep for five years. We've all heard Halliburton, right, oh yeah. With a love of learning and goals to accomplish, Jana decided to continue her education at John Hopkins University. That's quite prestigious.
Speaker 3: I'm so impressive with education. I love that. I love it time. Everywhere she went, if she wanted it, she went after her.
Speaker 2: She went after it. She was working toward earning a dual master's in communication and a master's in Business administration. She left her job at Halliburton to focus on school and decided to take a part time job as a sales team leader at a local Lululemon store. This job really allowed her to feed her passions of dance, travel, and animals. She was also extensively involved in volunteering with various different groups and organizations, and working at Lululemon gave her networking opportunities and just like a positive energy around the work place. You know. I guess it was a really good place to work.
Speaker 3: Nice culture, good culture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Lululemon franchise really spoke to her personally, and she planned to apply to the Lululemon corporate office in Vancouver, British Columbia. I didn't know based either. She was going to apply there after graduation, after she got her dual master's degree. So while Lululemon was originally a part time gig for Jana, she fell in love with the company and ended up dedicating all her studies toward the company and wrote her thesis about Lululemon.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably for her business administration degree.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Although Jana had finished her thesis, she continued to work at the store because she loved it, and by the end of it, she went from part time to truly part of the Lululemon family right, all while juggling her master's program and working at the Lulu Stupid or not, but yeah. Jana was also in a long distance relationship with her boyfriend. His name was Fraser Bosel, who was also a student at Washington State. Jana and Fraser had been together for a long time and they were starting to plan a future together. Fraser had actually asked David and Phyllis if he could have Jana's hand in marriage after they both graduated.
Speaker 3: Wow. I know.
Speaker 2: Her relationship with Fraser was also part of the reason she wanted to work in Vancouver. Fraser was living in Washington at the time. The state Washington State, not Washington, DC, so she would be in the corporate office was close and Fraser's living in Washington, so you know, it's kind of ideal, right. Jana was described as the girl who was incredibly ambitious and willing to approach change had on. What she didn't know was that her life, unfortunately, was about to tragically change and all of her goals and dreams would come crashing down.
Speaker 3: Oh boy.
Speaker 2: So on March eleventh, twenty eleven, Jana was working the closing shift at the Lululemons store in Bethesda, Maryland with her coworker, twenty eight year old Brittany Norwood. Jana was a very trusted store employee and was the only person working that night who had a key to the store. Seemingly, the night ended normally and both women went home safely However, the next morning, March twelfth, store manager Rachel arrived at eight am to reopen the store for the day, and when she arrived, she noticed the front door of the store was unlocked, which was very unusual, and Rachel figured, well, maybe Jana just forgot to lock it the night before. So Rachel goes into the store and she notices that something's wrong. There was a mannequin that was laying on the floor, clothes had been thrown about, and some clothing wracks had been tipped over. So Rachel immediately thought the store had been robbed, and she quickly exited the building. You know, she was planning to run to the nearby Apple store. It was right next door to the Lululemon in the Strip mall, and that's where she was going to call the police from. But that day, Apple was releasing the iPad two.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, and.
Speaker 2: The line was already growing long outside of the store. People lined up to her on that new iPad, and one of the people in the line noticed Rachel because she was frantic, and that person jumped out of line to check on her, and after explaining what she had seen in the store, the person from the line his name was Ryan. He offered to walk her back into the store and check things out for her so that she would feel comfortable to start her day, you know, in the store.
Speaker 3: And yeah, the police arrived, right.
Speaker 2: You know, after all, if it's just a robbery, there's nobody it's just merchandise it's being stolen or from the cash register, like, there won't be there, shouldn't be anybody like a criminal still there.
Speaker 3: Hopefully not right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And in fact, if you go to Lululemon, they have a policy that if someone comes in and steals, they just let the person walk with whatever and they report it to the corporation and police only if necessary. Oh my god, I'm not encouraging anybody to steal anything, but.
Speaker 3: What are we going to Lululemons?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if they still have this policy, but at.
Speaker 3: The time, sure, yes.
Speaker 2: Rachel agreed with Ryan, and so the two of them headed back into the Lululemon store. The further they went into the store, the more damage. Though. They noticed the cash register had been opened and emptied, along with the safe that was inside the store. At this point, Ryan and Rachel they're convinced that this is just a robbery. It just has all the telltale signs.
Speaker 3: Yes. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Rachel headed to the back room, where she found shattered glass and a total disaster of merchandise. But what really alarmed her was that she found blood, and a lot of it. Looking further, there was a trail of blood that looked like someone had been dragged across the floor, and there were two sets of bloody footprints of different sizes. Upon this discovery, Rachel and Ryan literally ran back to the front of the store and immediately called the police. Rachel didn't feel comfortable going back into the store, but Ryan was concerned that maybe someone was there that needed help, so he went back inside on his own to investigate further. He went over to where the trail of blood was and he followed it further to the back of the store, and that's where he found a battered woman laying face down in a pool of blood with a rope tied around her neck. He knew right away that this woman was dead, of course, he was probably panicked, a little flustered whatever, and in shock when he heard a faint moaning sound coming from the employee bathroom. After what he just saw, Ryan wasn't completely sure he wanted to follow the sound, but he did. He braved it, and in the bathroom he found Britney bound at the ankles and wrists, arms above her head, covered in blood and barely breathing. This sent him running again to the sidewalk out front to tell Rachel what he found and say she needed to call nine one one again and raw immediate medical attention, not just the police.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So, on the phone with nine one one the second time, Rachel frantically said that one person seemed dead but the other was breathing, and you know someone had tied up this woman, right, So, Brittany was covered in cuts all along her arms and legs. She had a large wound on her forehead, and there was a Lululemon shirt wrapped around her neck. The cratch of her leggings had a huge hole torn in them, leading police to believe that she'd been sexually assaulted. At the time, Brittany wasn't responding to like questions and stuff. She seemed to go in and out of consciousness. Ana, however, was the one that didn't and her body was just absolutely battered. An autopsy would later reveal that Jana had been stabbed at least get this three hundred and thirty one times.
Speaker 4: That is fucking diabolical, Right, that is unnecessary.
Speaker 2: Right, you know how long? I mean not that I've done it, but do you know how long it must have taken to stab her three hundred and thirty one times?
Speaker 4: I mean that is something that Yeah, usually I hear goes with crimes of passion. You gotta hate that motherfucker and go bind and rage.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: If that's not this, then it's this is overkilled sick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so sick. So it was clear that her death wasn't quick and that it was a slow and brutal attack. Police found various items around the store that were most likely used in the attack. They found a bloody hangar, a rock, wrenches, a hammer, a knife, and they found a peg that was normally used to stand the mannequins, like maybe like in the back of them or something. The police believed that these items were used to attack the women. With Brittany being alive, she was rushed to the hospital for medical treatment. She only ended up needing a few stitches, and they did do a rape kit at the hospital. Police were grateful that most of her wounds were superficial because for Jana, they now have this brutal murderer, whoever did this to her on the loose, and you know, they need to apprehend this person as soon as possible, and maybe Brittany can help them identify who did this as soon as she was able. Brittany told police what happened that night. She said it was like any other closing shift. She had only been hired six months prior, so she was relatively new to the store. After the final customer left around nine pm, she and Jana locked up the store and they started their closing duties. They counted the cash straw, they straightened things up, and they got everything ready for the next morning. All the women left together and Brittany watched Jana get into her car before Brittany walked over to the train station. When Brittany got to the train station, she realized she forgot her metro pass in the store and she wouldn't be able to get home. Since Jana was the only one with the key and Britney's knew she had to call the few contacts she had of other coworkers to see if they had Jana's number. She called her, you know, she gets it, and she calls Jana to ask if she could meet her back in the store so that she could get her metro pass. Being the awesome human being that she was, Jane, of course you know that she was going to meet her. It'd just be a few minutes, and then they met back at the store. Brittany recalled that Jana told her she had actually left her laptop at the store, so she really didn't mind turning around because she was going to grab that instead of having the store The next day, when Jaya arrived back at the store, Brittany said that she unlocked the door and the two women went inside, closing the door behind them but not locking it. Brittany told the police that while Jana grabbed her laptop right away, she couldn't find her metro pass where she thought it was, and Jana started to help her search for it. During their search, Brittany and Jana were ambushed by two men in black ski masks. Brittany recalled that a bigger man grabbed Jana and hit her over the head, knocking her to the floor. A smaller man grabbed her and dragged her by her hair to the employee bathroom and Brittany told police that this is the last time she actually saw Jana. The smaller man eventually brought her to the registers and the safe and forced her to open them and put all the cash into a black backpack that he had. Brittany was then taken to the back room, where she was zip tied and tortured by the smaller man. Brittany recalled the man holding her by the hair with a knife to her throat, threatening to slit her throat. Brittany told the police that the man raped her and was very careful to not inflict any wounds that would kill her, but have her begging for him to stop, so he don't you know, he's probably like slicing her and stuff like.
Speaker 3: That, Oh right.
Speaker 2: Brittany then said when he was done with her, he left her alone in the back room for a while, and when he came back, Brittany recalled that he sexually assaulted her again with a wooden storehannger.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Brittany then told the police that during her attack, she heard violent and horrible screams coming from Jana in the other room. Eventually, the screams went silent, and both men carried Brittany to the other room where Jana was. At this point, Brittany wasn't sure if Jana was alive, and she told police that the two men told her she was lucky that she got the better version of the attack because she was more fun to fuck, is what she said.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, yeah, it's disgusting pigs.
Speaker 2: Right During her recount of the night to police, Brittany was absolutely distraught and she felt like this was all her fault because she was the one to call Jana and ask her to come back to the store so she could get her metro pass. Right after hearing Britney's story, the police were immediately getting to work to try and gather any information they could about these two masked men. Lucky for them, the Apple store that was located just next door had CCTV cameras that pointed at the Lululemon storefront. Apple was the only store on the strip that had cameras pointed there, so they were lucky. H On the security footage from Apple, they did find two white men who were dressed in all black with beanies on that walked past the store around the time Brittany claimed they were attacked. Not only did Apple provide the CCTV footage, but four employees that were working that night basically heard the entire thing at the Apple store.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: The three employees and one secure regard stated that they started hearing screaming coming from the store like two women were fighting. They heard one woman saying, please talk to me, don't do this, talk to me, what's going on. The arguing was followed by wails, screaming, and crying until they heard a woman say, God, help me, Please help me. Unfortunately, the Apple employees didn't call the police at night, a choice that could have changed Jana's.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: I don't even under I was just thinking, how do you fucking hear someone begging?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Hi, I'm over here.
Speaker 4: At the Apple store and I'm hearing the next door someone's screaming right right, easy, peasy, lemon squeezy.
Speaker 2: I can't tell you how many stories we've done where people see something, hear something, and don't call the police. And I always think I would call the police, right like I think I would.
Speaker 3: I would hope I think I would. When I hear it, I for her life.
Speaker 2: I think if I was in the next store next to it and I was at the time, fucking I'm calling the police right exactly, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 2: One store employee actually said the screaming was so loud it sounded like whoever was screaming was actually in the Apple store and not next door.
Speaker 3: And still no call.
Speaker 2: It's still no call. No After all that noise, the store employees reported that then they heard some grunting sounds and it sounded like something big was being dragged or moved across the store. The Apple store manager told police that they felt like it was just some drama and it was none of their business.
Speaker 4: Maybe, I don't know, ye cowards will say something of that lane.
Speaker 3: Oh, I thought they were play acting. I thought it was some Shakespeare in the park, my bad.
Speaker 2: At the fucking Lululemon. Yet exactly. Not one of them who was working at Apple that night felt like they needed to least go check on whoever was there despite everything they heard through the walls. Oh, it's just unbelievable. Police were also able to use the store security system records to know when the alarm had been armed and disarmed. It was armed at nine forty five when the women first left the store, and then disarmed at ten five pm, assuming that this is when Brittany and Jana returned to the store to get the Metro pass and laptop. With a timeline coming into place, police were now starting to focus on Jana's car. Brittany had recalled it Jana parked in front of the store, but the next morning, Jana's car was nowhere to be found. Police were now thinking that the two masked men must have likely stolen Jana's car after the attack. Luckily for police, Jana had Texas plates and being in DC, it was most likely going to be you know, maybe easy to spotter. Yeah, there's like millions of people, but I don't know. Her car had actually been spotted the night of the murder. Around mid night, a few blocks from the store, a police officer drove past the parked vehicle and said the lights were on inside and there was one passenger. Two hours later, around two am, that same police officer drove by Jana's car again, and this time there was no light on and no passenger inside. Jana's car was still parked in that same spot, and police were able to take it in as evidence. Right while waiting for fingerprints, DNA and any other evidence, they could collect from the car. Police focused on finding the two men from the Apple CCTV footage. Although they did have them on video, the angle wasn't that great and even though it showed them, you really couldn't be a lot of information from it, right. A detective decided that he was going to do a stakeout on the storefront, hoping that the two men would return to the scene, and they did. Believe wow, When he saw two men he thought may have been the attackers, he walked up to them, showed them a photo of the CCTV footage and ask them if he recognized them. Both the men immediately told the detective that the guys in the picture were them and that they worked at a restaurant a few blocks away from Lululemon. The men often walk together because they lived in the same direction. They were wearing all black because that was the uniform in the restaurant. Okay, so detectives were able to quickly verify their alibi. None of the evidence that they had was now adding up, and detectives were starting to realize that maybe some of the details Britney told them wasn't adding up right. What was really getting at them was that Jana's attack was so much more brutal than Britney's. Yes, like stabbed three hundred and thirty one times and Britney's not stabbed once.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Brittany has a whole bunch of superficial razor blade or knife blade cuts that maybe Purel will sting.
Speaker 3: The fuck out of. But yeah, you still gets through life. Right.
Speaker 2: It was, you know, just unusual how different they were treated. Right, So let me tell you a little bit about Brittany Norwood. Okay, Brittany was born and raised in Washington State to a huge family. She was one of nine children, and her father ran a small business. The Norwood family didn't have much, but all of their children had goals and dreams. Brittany played soccer growing up, and she was being recruited all across America to play college soccer. She was apparently really good nice. She ended up signing with Stonybrook College to play college soccer on a scholarship, and this was her big break. She was able to move across the country and follow her dreams. Her college soccer career quickly ended when she left Stonybrook in two thousand and three after being accused of stealing from many different people, including teammates and roommates.
Speaker 3: Oh boy. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Brittany was even accused of stealing from random people on CA campus. While charges were never filed, this destroyed her soccer career and her educational pursuits. She was kicked off the team, she lost her scholarship, and she was thrown out of school. Wow, yeah, that's what happens. Fuck around to find out that's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll keep you in. Don't touch other people's things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, just don't don't steal shit?
Speaker 3: Right by that? Sound like a bitch here? Don't touch other people's shit, right? I mean?
Speaker 2: Good God? Any time to do some soul searching. Britney moved to Washington, d C, where she was able to be close to two of her sisters. Upon arriving in DC, Brittany got a job at the Willard Intercontinental Hotel and started to rebuild her life. She was successful at this job. She started at the front desk, but was soon promoted to VIP guest services. While it was a great job, she was feeling lost because this wasn't what she pictured for herself. She was probably also you know, questioning her life choices.
Speaker 3: Sure, sure, Brittany always.
Speaker 2: Had a dream of becoming a personal trainer. She was dedicated to her own physical fitness and the whole world of fitness in general. In her spare time, she was attending various workout classes and hoping to be able to immerse herself in that community, you know, in.
Speaker 3: Her news of that culture.
Speaker 2: Of that passion was what led Brittany to getting a job at Lululemon at the Georgetown store in twenty ten. In early twenty eleven, Brittany transferred to the Bethesda location of Lululemon, and she was almost a perfect salesperson. She was fit, outgoing and people were drawn to her. She really sold the Lululemon brand, you know, looks and all like.
Speaker 3: She's a perfect wocking model of it for sure.
Speaker 2: At the time of her transfer, it was only supposed to be temporary. Brittany was to expand her horizons and wanted to get a new job at a fitness center near the store. That was all before the night of March eleventh, twenty eleven, when Brittany seemed to have snapped. With this feeling that Brittany was possibly involved in the murder, police decided that they needed to look at the case from the start again. The first thing they noticed was that the supposed attackers didn't bring any of their own weapons. All the weapons used in the attack were things that were found in the store. Not only that, but if they didn't bring any weapons, how did they plan to get into the store. It was clear that the suspected robbery was supposed to happen after the store was closed. Also, you know, I mean, how are they going to get in if they didn't bring anything?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Also, it's typical that after robbers get the job done, they leave the scene as soon as possible to lessen the chances of them getting caught. Right. According to Britney's story, emptying the registers in the safe was one of the first things they did. But then they started this attack on.
Speaker 3: Both Yeah, this timeline is all stinky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this really wasn't adding up to police, And there was more. The bloody footprints in the store were a big question mark. There were two different sets of footprints found at the scene, one men's size fourteen that was actually a rebock, and the other footprint was a much smaller woman's size. If there were really two attackers, there would have been three sets of footprints men and then Britney's since she was still alive. At the scene, one men's size fourteen shoe was found, and police assumed that maybe the attacker ditched it at the store before leaving, but the store manager, Rachel, debunked this theory immediately by telling police that the shoe was property of the store and they allowed customers to use it when trying on clothes to complete the look. Okay, yes, they got shoes there, you can try on.
Speaker 3: That is so crazy.
Speaker 2: Nice they have men's clothing at Lululemon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you want to complete the all sall. Yeah, we got some shoes you wear that you can't have lies. Yeah, you're gonna need a shoe.
Speaker 2: What was even more odd was that it appeared that the bigger bloody shoeprints were exactly on top of the smaller shoeprints. Either the attackers were quite literally following the exact same path, or these larger prints were meant to try and cover up the smaller ones.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: Going even further, the gash on Brittany's forehead didn't make sense. Why would the attacker aim for the middle of her forehead and not the side of her head. What made more sense with that injury is if Brittany was on top of Jana stabbing her, that she could have accidentally hit herself in the forehead right. Additionally, Britney told police that the zip ties that were used to tire up came from one of the men's backpacks when they actually belonged the store. Like that, She said the robbers brought the ball.
Speaker 3: From their own supplies that did not exist. Yes.
Speaker 2: Furthermore, the zip ties on her hands had teeth marks, indicating they were tightened up by teeth and not hands, which is something Brittany would have to do if she was tying herself up. Yes, the biggest discrepancy was simply the difference between the two attacks. All of Britney's injuries were superficial, and her rate kit revealed nothing. Brittany told police that the attackers had told her they knew her address and they were using Rachel slurs against her. Brittany painted the picture that she was potentially the original target, but it was clear the attack on Jana was personal like USA. This led police to believe that maybe Brittany was involved with the attackers and it was a robbery. Gone wrong. It wasn't until later in the investigation that Rachel, the store manager, told police that they were actually having problems with Brittany in the workplace. It seemed that she and Jana didn't really get along, and not only Jana, but other employees had problems with right well, they were suspicious that Brittany was stealing from the store and other coworkers. These suspicions went so far as there was actually a meeting held with store owners and managers to come up with a plan to attempt to prevent this. The protocol at the store was that whenever an employee brought a bag to work and was leaving after their shift, the manager at the store at the time would check their bag to make sure that no one paid items were in their bag.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So this was not only for Brittany, but it was just, you know, regular protocol for all employees.
Speaker 4: So it wasn't well common practice. I remember working at some shop, same thing. If you're working with makeup, little things, big things, things that can be hidden, you know, right, I don't know, plushy legans that can easily roll up and hide in up part of your purse.
Speaker 2: Right, right, Yeah, they're not bulky at.
Speaker 3: All, Oh gosh, not at all.
Speaker 2: The day before the murder March tenth, twenty eleven, Jana went to do a routine bag check on Brittany before she left, and Brittany told Jana that another employee had already checked her bag. When Jana double checked with that employee, they said that they didn't actually check her bag. So Jana reported this to Rachel that you know, she was pretty sure Britney stole another pair of leggings, and now police are like, is this.
Speaker 3: Her motive against Jana.
Speaker 2: By March eighteenth, twenty eleven, Brittany was arrested for the murder. When police brought her in for interrogation, Brittany added more details to her story and it just was not adding up even more, police decided to take a more personal route and bring in Brittany's brother, Chris and sister Marissa. When the siblings were all inside the interrogation room, police ran through all the evidence they had against Brittany, and Marissa completely broke down, having to leave the room to attempt to calm herself. Yeah, police left Brittany alone in the room with her brother Chris, and Chris asked Brittany to tell him the truth so that they could get this worked out, to which Brittany replied she didn't want to talk about it there, So this personal approach.
Speaker 3: Had worked nice.
Speaker 2: It was now believed that Brittany became aware that her coworkers were onto her stealing, and she knew that she was going to be fired soon if she was caught again. Brittany was likely called Jana to meet her back of the store so that they could discuss the accusations Jana told Rachel. But once the conversation wasn't reaching a resolution, it turned violent because remember those Apple employees that there was women like arguing.
Speaker 3: We sounded like two women screaming at each other.
Speaker 2: Yes, So, Brittany's defense attorney claimed that this was absolutely not a premeditated murder, but an undiagnosed mental disorder. He claimed that it was clear that no one in their sound mind could commit the atrocities that Brittany did that night. Okay, but they were committed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: It committed so much that she was able to make herself look like she was a victim. That sounds like a very clever and planned and and survivalistic mode of horrible lying and there there it is there. I don't get like how three hundred and thirty one stab wounds that sound like mental illness? Okay, yeah for sure, especially because they're not like lovers or something that would that crime of passion that is you know in such cases. But this is just straight up rage and hey, this is we all know it's from her childhood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, everything stems from your child.
Speaker 4: Everything stems is her stealing and what she was one of nine and nine. I don't have our stories of why we do what we do or why we think we're justified by circumstance.
Speaker 2: But exactly right, like yew. The trial lasted six days, and then Brittany was quickly sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole on January twenty seventh, twenty twelve. Brittany has never talked about what exactly happened that night between she and Jana right This trial and the entire situation was extremely difficult for Jana's family, the Murrays. This was especially because they originally felt horrible for Brittany, thinking that she too was a victim of this violent attack. After sentencing, Brittany gave a public apology to the Murray family in front of a packed courtroom. Brittany stated that prior to getting up there, she was unsure if she would even speak. Brittany told the courtroom and Jana's family that while she knows her statement will never take the pain away, she hopes that the family can one day find it in their hearts to forgive her. Brittany and her legal team were hoping that the judge would sentence her to life with the possibility of parole to give her some hope. But noop, no, no, Yeah. Judge Robert A. Greenberg said that after every single one of the three hundred and thirty one plus wounds she inflicted on Jana, she had an opportunity to think twice about what she was doing and stop, but she didn't. So. Judge Greenberg told Brittany that she was devious, in control in one hell of a liar.
Speaker 4: I agree, I agree, all three devious, one hell of a liar. Hmmm, I don't even really think. I don't believe she wants forgiveness. She just wants to be known that she said it. Yeah, that's what I don't Yeah, I don't really feel any kind of empathy or because if she's stealing and she doesn't care, and so she loses jobs, loses her scholarship, loses her athleticism, scholarship, everything, and so uh leper doesn't change its spots without a humongous miracle. And not that I don't believe in miracles, but it's really about the intent of the heart, you know, and I think her intent was very narcissistic.
Speaker 2: She suffered these consequences of you know, stealing shit from people at school, you know, like you said, lost your scholarship, lost her chance to finish her degree, be on the soccer team, do all this, and then she gets this job at Lululemon and she's doing the fucking same shit again.
Speaker 4: And then she's, yeah, so jealous of Jana because she is everything. She is knocking everything that is lands in her hands out of the park.
Speaker 2: Like she is going to school and like her life is on the right track. And yes, the manager.
Speaker 3: There her she's Lululemon.
Speaker 4: But you got someone like Brittany who's like me, me, me, It's got to be about me. I'm gonna I mean, how do you not get along with someone like Jane? That Jane sounds like some of the one that would be easy to get along with and inspiring.
Speaker 3: To be like Carrie, does she you hear what she gets done?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And don't tell me you didn't fucking plan it either. I don't for one second. Because she had the whole fucking ruse about the metro pass. She could have attacked Jana when they locked the door initially.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh exactly.
Speaker 2: And and you know instead of like making this story about you know, having to go back and oh can you let me back in the store, and you know all of this. So I'm thinking, like it had to be planned. What I just dying to know, like what she stabber with? What was there? But I mean, because I think weird shit. But yeah, if you're using all the ship in the store and it's at a point where you know you can attack Jana and Jena can't run away, I think you've probably like looked at the ship in the store maybe briefly, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh you know where to find stuff, right, you know?
Speaker 4: And fuck those Apple I mean, God bless them, but those Apple employees.
Speaker 3: I listen in to that shit.
Speaker 4: I have heard stuff and I know when I mean nothing to where I've needed to call the police.
Speaker 3: But I am an X nine one one operator, so.
Speaker 4: I kind of know I got a little edge, and as a human being, the edge of I think someone's gonna get hurt, right, the screaming is of at least get Like the screaming would have me something like that might happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and somebody, I mean if God know, please know, I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, God no, please no? And then dead silent.
Speaker 2: That would make me super suspicious, like maybe them fighting, you know, the screaming like maybe that wouldn't necessarily like like you said, like I don't know if I would feel like they were in danger, like yeah, but then when the screaming turned to somebody sounding like they're begging for their life, yeah, or begging for something to stop, that would really give me pause.
Speaker 4: I would just be like, yeah, you know, just do even a window check, like just come out and take a look, because something is fucking amiss.
Speaker 3: And you know they were all scared to leave, oh yeah for sure?
Speaker 2: Or not on the wall, Hey is everybody okay in there?
Speaker 3: If you would have scared the ship out of Brittany.
Speaker 4: Right, I would have been like, hey, guys, I think all the blood would have drained out of my body.
Speaker 3: Oh, I would just when not bring you to ye out of your mental but I'm.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, God bless Janea and our family, Brittany and hers. I mean, her life is gone. Her family sounds very supportive as a big family.
Speaker 2: Now, I know everyone these stories, it's not just the victims, like it's just no lateral damage of their families and exactly. You know, I think about we did that story about Jacob Wetterling a few weeks ago. Yeah, I think about like his parents actually stayed together and they even though I think they probably had a time where their marriage hit like a rough patch. I can only imagine the pain and suffering that they went through. And let alone every other family who's had you know, somebody, it can be generational damage. Yes, I just think about some of them. You know, some of these people had children, have children, and then their children grow up without a parent or maybe like mom kills dad or dad kills mom, and so now you have no parents and it's just.
Speaker 4: It's and then you're known as the you know, oh my mom killed my dad or my vice versa that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: Dad, it's just sad that, you.
Speaker 4: Know, just so how do you get out from under there.
Speaker 3: But then that's like the riddle of life, you know, exactly.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you Shannon for the Oh.
Speaker 3: Thank you for bringing this story. I'd never heard of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was a brutal one, like Jana really went through it. I feel bad. I feel really too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and probably even see how do you think in that culture of Lululemon, you do not see that kind of behavior coming?
Speaker 2: No, sure, you like to just remind everyone to hit subscribe, follow whatever app you're listening to. Yes, forgot to mention that at the beginning, but that's okay. And if you all are interested in hearing more episodes from Shannon and I and you just can't get enough and you want another episode every week, you can subscribe through the Apple app, or you can go to Patreon dot com, Slash Tea and Tea Crimes Crimes. Yeah, we do one extra episode a week if you subscribe to the top tier Apple. It's just one tier, so you do get all the episodes on Apple. Yes, and we have a website, Crimes and Consequences dot com. We have some merch and Shannon's going to be helping to get that caught up.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're on it, so bless your little heart. I would just like thank everyone again, and everyone seems very welcoming to Shannon.
Speaker 4: Yes, guys, I love you and I love just spending time with you, and I love spending time with Tanya. So you guys always give me an opportunity to do both.
Speaker 3: You fucking love it.
Speaker 2: I know we get to catch up before I do.
Speaker 4: I love it and bring Taro to the table, and some I just love knowing, like the little bits of the story.
Speaker 3: What was his sign? Yikes a libra whoa. We love you libras so right.
Speaker 4: But until next time, Tany, you take care and I love you and you too.
Speaker 3: You too.
Speaker 2: I'll see you next time.
Speaker 3: Bye, I'll see you. Bye.