Speaker 1: You know that feeling your computer screen just freezes up, and then this weird pop up appears, looks like it's from Window Security, but it's demanding a bitcoin to unlock your files.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that immediate panic.
Speaker 1: It's a horrible feeling exactly. And while that fear of your own PC getting hit is totally valid, what if I told you that's just well the tip of a much much bigger digital iceberg.
Speaker 2: That's right, Malware today isn't just about one machine. It's targeting whole networks, servers, stealing really personal data.
Speaker 1: It's evolve into a massive industry, right, especially with ransomware. The stakes are incredibly.
Speaker 2: High, millions sometimes billions involved.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive. This is where we take expert sources, cut through the noise and pull out the key insights to get you informed fast.
Speaker 2: And today we're diving into the let's say, fascinating and sometimes pretty terrifying world of Windows malware.
Speaker 1: Yeah, our mission here is really for you, the curious learner. We want to demystify these threats, give you the knowledge not just to defend you, but also crucially how to spot them and get rid of them if they do strike and our.
Speaker 2: Main guide for this is a really solid source Windows Virus and Malware Troubleshooting by Microsoft MVPs Andrew Bettany and Mike Halsey.
Speaker 1: So we're going to dig into some surprising history, look at the threats we face right now, and get beyond those scary headlines to you know, practical understanding and actual solutions. Ready to jump in.
Speaker 2: Let's do it. What's really interesting when you look back is where computer viruses actually started. It might surprise you not Windows then, No, not initially the very earliest ones, believe it or not, for Apple two and macintos systems. They'd write themselves onto the boots sector of floppy discs.
Speaker 1: Floppy discs wow, so every time you use the disc.
Speaker 2: And go it executed. Sneaky stuff even back then.
Speaker 1: But then came the IBM PC and MS DOSS and personal computer started popping up everywhere, especially in businesses, and.
Speaker 2: That's when things really took off. Virus wise. They were tiny programs back then, often doing well, almost quaint things.
Speaker 1: Like that story about the virus playing Yankee Doodle Dandy every day at five pm on an old Olive EDDYPC back in ninety one. Seems almost terming.
Speaker 2: Now agrease simpler times, definitely, but things escalated pretty fast. The Morris worm late eighty eight. That was a real turning point. The first Internet virus.
Speaker 1: Essentially written by a student, wasn't it yeah.
Speaker 2: Cornell grad student. It wasn't actually meant to be harmful to see how big the Internet was. But a mistake in the code, oh yeah, it turned it infectious, became a denial of service attack by accident, basically took down thousands of computers. Huge cleanup job.
Speaker 1: And we've seen some incredibly destructive ones since. Stuck snit for instance, targeting Iran's nuclear program that was huge, news, huge.
Speaker 2: And code read back in two thousand and one. That thing was infecting what over three hundred thousand computers a day, defacing websites, launching attacks. It really felt like the Wild West.
Speaker 1: Online, It really did. And this is where we see that big shift you mentioned earlier, right, the motivation change.
Speaker 2: Exactly stop being about just getting famous or proving you could do it, and became curely about money, cold hard cash.
Speaker 1: Enter the bots and ransomware.
Speaker 2: Precisely, bots are like these hidden agents. They can infect thousands, millions of computers. And just sit there waiting waiting for what for instructions, Control of these botnets get sold on the dark web. They use them for well, all sorts of things, key logging, to steal your passwords, creating backdoors into systems, launching massive DDUS attacks to crash websites.
Speaker 1: DDAs distributed denial of service that's where they flood a site with traffic.
Speaker 2: That's the one overwhelm it completely.
Speaker 1: And then ransomware that's the one that really gives people nightmares, individuals and businesses alike.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, Imagine all your files, your photos, your documents just locked up encrypted and you get this demand for bitcoin to maybe get them back.
Speaker 1: And businesses are paying.
Speaker 2: Sources say yes, hundreds of millions are made this way every year. Universities, hospitals, big companies, even government agencies. They often pay quietly because the cost of downtime is even higher.
Speaker 1: It's a horrible calculation to have to make, it really is.
Speaker 2: And it's important to remember malware isn't just a Windows problem. It's everywhere Android, iOS, mac os.
Speaker 1: But Windows is the main focus for today's deep dive just because it's so widely used.
Speaker 2: Right though, it's worth noting those newer ARM based Windows ten systems, they are generally a bit less susceptible, more modern architecture, but not immune, not totally immune, no, because they can still run older legacy Windows code, and that's often what malware targets.
Speaker 1: And looking forward, the Internet of Things IoT, that's a whole new frontier, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It is smart fridges, cameras, dermostats. A lot of these devices have pretty weak security out of the box, default passwords, things.
Speaker 1: Like that, so they become an easy way into your network.
Speaker 2: Potentially, yes, a gateway for attackers to get to your more important devices like your PC or your phone.
Speaker 1: So if operating systems like Windows are getting more secure all the time, why are we still seeing so many infections? What's the gap?
Speaker 2: That's a great question. Historically, Yeah, older OS versions like early Windows, had real security flaws. Malware could just run sometimes automatically.
Speaker 1: That's why Mac and Unix always felt safer back then, less admin writes by default, that was a big.
Speaker 2: Part of it. Yes, but modern Windows, say from Vista onwards, really up the game. Features like user count control, UAC, secure mood. They made a huge difference.
Speaker 1: So the attackers changed tactics they had to.
Speaker 2: They shifted focus from just exploiting technical bugs in the OS to exploiting well leus human psychology. How so, malware started dressing up as something harmless or useful or even.
Speaker 1: Fun like what give me an example.
Speaker 2: Think about needing a special video codec to watch something online, or downloading a pirated app that promises all the features for free, or maybe even something that looks like a Windows update, but you got it from some random website.
Speaker 1: Ah okay. So it relies on tricking the user.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and this is where you become the weakest link. Potentially. People are busy, they're tired, maybe just curious. You click allow on a security prompt without really reading it, or.
Speaker 1: You grant admin rights just to make that annoying pop up go away or get that cat video to play right.
Speaker 2: And the scary thing is one person granting those rights can open the door for malware to spread across an entire company network, accessing shared files and resources.
Speaker 1: So the defense isn't just technical anymore.
Speaker 2: Not solely. No, The two biggest defenses are one technically preventing users from just running any old code or installing random software, and two maybe even more important education training people on what's safe to click and what definitely isn't.
Speaker 1: It really makes you stop and think, doesn't it. How often do we really read those prompts before clicking yes or install. It's a habit we probably all.
Speaker 2: Need to work on definitely.
Speaker 1: Now, we've been using the term malware as a catch all, but there are different types, right, What are the main distinctions we should understand?
Speaker 2: You're right, it's an umbrella term. Malware covers a lot of ground. The key types often different in how they spread or what they.
Speaker 1: Do, Like viruses versus worms. What's the difference there.
Speaker 2: It's mainly about propagation, how they get around. A virus needs help to spread, like attaching itself to a file that you then share, maybe on a USB stick or email attachment, physical contact.
Speaker 1: Almost like a biological virus pretty much.
Speaker 2: A worm, on the other hand, is designed to spread by itself across a network. It burrows from one computer to another, replicating as it goes, without needing you to actively share a file.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's how they spread. What about what they actually do once they're inside? Let's talk about the ones that steal information.
Speaker 2: Spyware spyware does exactly what it says on the tin. It spies on you, gathers information about what you do online maybe offline too, often includes a keylogger.
Speaker 1: Keylogger records everything I type.
Speaker 2: YEP, passwords, bank details, private messages, then sends it all back to whoever created the spyware. Pretty nasty stuff.
Speaker 1: And adwere that sounds less harmful?
Speaker 2: Generally? Yes, AdWords mostly about showing you unwanted ads usually pop ups annoying, but rarely a direct threat, unlike unless it comes bundled with something else, like a keylogger hidden inside. So even seemingly harmless adware can be risky.
Speaker 1: Okay, got it? What about trojans trojan horses?
Speaker 2: Right? These disguise themselves as legitimate software, could be anything a Kodak, a browser plug in. Maybe that powered app we mentioned looks fine on the outside, took inside it's carrying a hidden, malicious payload. Once you install the useful thing, the nasty bit gets installed too.
Speaker 1: And it was technically a Greek horse, not trojan you mentioned well grease Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pedantic point, But the principle of deception is identical.
Speaker 1: Deception is key, and that leads us to bots right, creating these botnets exactly.
Speaker 2: Bots infect machines, thousands, sometimes millions of them and turn them into a kind of zombie army, a botnet.
Speaker 3: And these botnets are used for often for those D Days attacks we talked about flooding websites, but they almost always have keyloggers and back doors built into for stealing data or taking remote control.
Speaker 2: Microsoft and law enforcement have actually had some success taking down major bot nets, which is good news.
Speaker 1: That is good news. Now, root kits and bootkits some particularly nasty.
Speaker 2: They are. They dig in really deep, hiding in the boot partitions of your hard drive. Basically, they load before your operating system.
Speaker 1: Even starts, so they're hidden from normal security software.
Speaker 2: Often, yes, they can gain complete control of the system while staying invisible. That's why things like Intel's Secure boot are so important.
Speaker 1: Secure boot checks the digital signatures during startup right.
Speaker 2: It verifies the firmware and the OS itself before loading. If something's been tampered with, like by a bootkit, it ideally shouldn't start.
Speaker 1: But you mentioned that can be an issue for older OT's like Windows seven or Linux.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't always support secure boot natively without some configuration changes, so some users might disable it, which unfortunately opens the door for these kinds of attacks.
Speaker 1: Back Doors are they separate things or part of these other malware types.
Speaker 2: Often part of others. A backdoor is just what it sounds like, a hidden way for someone to get remote access and control your PC later bypassing all the normal security checks, give them access to your files, your network.
Speaker 1: Okay. And finally, ransomware the big one, the.
Speaker 2: Most unpleasant, definitely and often the most financially damaging. It encrypts your files, documents, photos, videos.
Speaker 1: Everything, scrambles theme completely, makes.
Speaker 2: Them totally inaccessible. Sometimes it encrypts the entire disc or the file directory system itself, the master list of where everything is then pops up the demand for bitcoin for the decryption key.
Speaker 1: And because we SINNC everything to the cloud now it.
Speaker 2: Can spread fast, encrypt files on your network drives, even in your cloud storage if it sinks fast enough. And as we said, organizations often pay up.
Speaker 1: Why do they pay just the cost of recovery?
Speaker 2: Often yeah, downtime, data loss. It can be catastrophic. The criminals know this. They price the ransom accordingly high, but maybe just low enough to make paying seem like the lesser evil.
Speaker 1: But paying doesn't always guarantee you get your files back right or that it's over exactly.
Speaker 2: Sometimes the decryption key doesn't work, or worse, the key itself contains another piece of malware. It's a truly vicious cycle.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's a pretty grim picture of the threats. How do we actually start defending ourselves? What's the approach?
Speaker 2: The core concept is defense in depth, think layers, not just one big wall, right, because even the best single solution, say just an antivirus, can potentially be lie passed. You need multiple layers of protection that back each other up. Redundancy is key.
Speaker 1: And Microsoft has built a lot of these layers directly into Windows, now, haven't.
Speaker 2: They They really have, Especially in Windows seven, eight point one to ten. You've got the Security Center or Security of Maintenance in Windows ten that's your main dashboard.
Speaker 1: The traffic light system green, amber, red, YEP.
Speaker 2: Gives you a quick visual check. Green is good, Amber means check something, Red means there's a problem. Like your anti viruses offer out of date.
Speaker 1: And User Account control UAC. You mentioned that earlier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, UAC is like your first line of defense against unauthorized changes when something tries to install software or change system settings, UAC pops up that prompt in a secure environment.
Speaker 1: Secure environment, what does that mean?
Speaker 2: It means the rest of the desktop is dimmed and inactive, so malware can't like hijack your mouse quick and approve itself. It's designed to make you consciously interact with the prompt.
Speaker 1: Clever and the built in firewall.
Speaker 2: Windows Firewall is actually very effective. A lot of companies still use third party ones, maybe for centralized management, but the built in one, especially the Advanced firewall, gives you really granular control over which app supports and services can communicate.
Speaker 1: What about the Malicious Software Removal Tool MSRT? Is that the main antivirus?
Speaker 2: No think if MSRT is an extra cleanup tool. It targets specific, really widespread major threats. Microsoft updates it every month through Windows Update. It runs quietly in the background usually, but you can download and run it manually if you suspect something nasty got through.
Speaker 1: And Windows Update itself is crucial for security.
Speaker 2: Absolutely essential, not just for features, but for patching vulnerabilities that malware exploits. Windows ten make security and stability updates mandatory for this reason.
Speaker 1: Though you can delay some updates. In pro and enterprise versions, you.
Speaker 2: Can defer the big feature updates for a while. Yeah yeah, but those critical security patches they come through regardless, which is important.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk about protecting the startup process. That seems like a really vulnerable time.
Speaker 2: BitLocker BitLocker drive encryption is fantastic, especially on laptops available in pro and enterprise editions. It encrypts your entire.
Speaker 1: Hard drive, so if someone steals my laptop, they can't just pull out.
Speaker 2: The hard drive and read your data. Even when the PC is signed out, the drive stays locked. It's like a digital safe for your data at rest.
Speaker 1: Really important and secure boot. We touched on that regarding.
Speaker 2: Bootcuts right developed by Intel mandatory since Windows A point one on new PCs. It's that digital bouncer at the door checks the signatures of the firmware and the OS before.
Speaker 1: They load, preventing unauthorized code from running early on.
Speaker 2: Exactly stops malware trying to sneak in before Windows are your anti virus is even up and running again. Can sometimes need disabling for older ocs or Linux, which is a trade off.
Speaker 1: After secure boot, there's trusted boot yes.
Speaker 2: In Windows eight point one to ten, Trusted Boot takes over once secure boot is done. It checks the integrity of the actual Windows kernel, the core system, files, drivers, everything as it loads.
Speaker 1: And if it finds something modified.
Speaker 2: It'll try to repair it automatically. It's another layer ensuring the OS hasn't been tampered with before you get to your desktop.
Speaker 1: And early launch anti malware.
Speaker 2: Elim ELAM is crucial to It lets your anti virus driver load very early in the boot process before potentially malicious drivers can. It establishes this chain of trust.
Speaker 1: So it checks drivers against a list.
Speaker 2: Basically, yeah, if a driver isn't digitally signed and trusted, ELAM can prevent it from loading, stopping a common way malware tries to hook into the system.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's boot security. What about active protection While Windows is running smart Screen?
Speaker 2: Windows smart Screen is an online reputation service. When you download a file or visit a website, it checks it against Microsoft's constantly updated lists of known malicious sites and files.
Speaker 1: Sounds useful. Any downsides?
Speaker 2: Well, the warnings can sometimes be a bit vague, users might just click through them, and unfortunately, it can sometimes be disabled fairly easily. In browser settings or Windows Settings without triggering a UAC prompt.
Speaker 1: Right. And then there's the main antivirus itself, Windows Defender or Security Essentials on Windows seven.
Speaker 2: Yes, Microsoft's free build in anti virus. It used to be seen as just basic, but honestly has become quite robust and deeply integrated into Windows ten and eleven.
Speaker 1: So it's good enough for most people.
Speaker 2: For baseline protection. Absolutely, it's lightweight, always on. Many businesses still opt for third party solutions for more advanced features or central management, but Defender is a solid foundation.
Speaker 1: And Defender offline for really tough infections.
Speaker 2: That's a really powerful tool built into Windows ten settings, or you can create a bootable USB for other versions. It reboots your PC into a special clean environment outside of Windows to.
Speaker 1: Scan before the malware can load.
Speaker 2: Exactly, especially good for rootkits that hide from regular scans. It scans the drive before the main OS and any resident malware has a chance to interfere.
Speaker 1: What about app containers you mentioned those briefly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is more about how modern Windows store apps work. They run these isolated containers. Think of them like mini virtual machines with their own protected storage and memory.
Speaker 1: So if one gets infected, it can't easily.
Speaker 2: Spread precisely, it's sandboxed. Makes those apps much more resilient to malware compared to traditional desktop applications.
Speaker 1: And even the PC architecture matters thirty two bit versus sixty four.
Speaker 2: Bit it does pretty much. All modern PCs are sixty four bit now, and that's generally more secure. Why Mainly because sixty four bit Windows requires hardware and software drivers to be digitally signed.
Speaker 1: Ah that driver signing thing again, yep.
Speaker 2: Unsigned drivers are a classic way for malware to get deep system access, and sixty four bit Windows largely closes that door. Plus sixty four bit supports virtualization features better, which underpins some security tech.
Speaker 1: Okay, last point on defense, restricting file access. This sounds critical for ransomware.
Speaker 2: Absolutely critical, But it's tricky, especially with cloud backups.
Speaker 1: Why tricky? Aren't cloud backups good?
Speaker 2: They are? But think about how ransomware works. It encrypts your files instantly, and your cloud backup software it's designed to sync changes instantly too.
Speaker 1: Oh no, so it backs up the encrypted files often.
Speaker 2: Yes, Overwriting your good copies in the cloud with the useless encrypted versions happens frighteningly. Fast.
Speaker 1: So how do you protect your files in this instant sinc world? Is there a reliable way?
Speaker 2: The source strongly suggests the button approach, though not perfect, is maintaining a periodic completely offline backup a separate external hard drive that you can act back up to and then disconnect.
Speaker 1: Completely, the digital equivalent of putting valuables in a separate safe.
Speaker 2: Exactly that, Because yeah, Murphy's low says, the ransomware will hit just before your next backup is due, but having that offline copy is still your best insurance against total data loss.
Speaker 1: Makes sense? Okay, let's shift gears. How do we actually recognize when an attack might be happening? What are the signs?
Speaker 2: Well, Windows PCs are still the biggest target right backwards compatibility users often running as admin, open networking, just this sheer number of users, Yeah, it makes them attractive.
Speaker 1: And the symptoms what should you look out for?
Speaker 2: The common ones are pretty noticeable. Usually your PC suddenly gets really slow, lots of unexplained disk activity or network traffic.
Speaker 1: You don't recognize files not opening or opening strangely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or weird pop ups. Maybe your desktop background changes unexpectedly, freaking crashes or hangs. Basically, your computer just starts acting weird, not behaving like it normally does.
Speaker 1: Okay, and the source mentioned three main types of viruses that cause these infections.
Speaker 2: Broadly speaking, yes, file infectors, boots sector viruses or root kits, and macroviruses.
Speaker 1: File infectors attached to other files.
Speaker 2: Right, They latch onto executables like dot ex files. Antivirus often catches these by looking for their known signature, a unique pattern in their code. Remember that fake scanty example, a fake antivirus program.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the ones that pop up fake warnings and demand money exactly.
Speaker 2: They'd scare you into paying, sometimes even block legitimate programs from running. Classic file infector.
Speaker 1: Tactic and root kits and boot sector viruses. We know they're hard to detect, very.
Speaker 2: Hard because they load so early, hiding from Windows and security software. Their payloads can be nasty backdoors for remote access packet sniffers to steal data traveling over your network, turning your PC in too part of the DAS botnet.
Speaker 1: This is where that nuke it from orbit quote feels appropriate.
Speaker 2: Agrees pretty much captures the feeling. Yeah, Removing them cleanly it can be incredibly difficult. Sometimes a full wipe and reinstall is the only guaranteed way.
Speaker 1: And macroviruses I thought they'd died out.
Speaker 2: They did declined for a while after about two thousand. Macros were originally for automating tasks in office docs, but they've made a comeback. Modern ones use powerful code like VBA.
Speaker 1: Or JavaScript, so they hide in word docks or Excel sheets exactly.
Speaker 2: Microsoft puts warnings up now when you open a dock with macros, but social engineering tricking you into clicking enable content is still effective. Once enabled, they can infect your office templates, so every new document you create gets infected too.
Speaker 1: Sneaky, and it comes back to that human factor again. Email and the Internet are just delivery mechanism.
Speaker 2: Precisely, they carry the malware, but it needs you to click the link, open the attachment, enable the macro. That's the activation step.
Speaker 1: And the scams are getting better, more convincing.
Speaker 2: Definitely better wording using graphics from real companies, PDFs that look legit but have hidden executables. It's much harder to spot the fakes. Sometimes your vigilance is often the last line of defense.
Speaker 1: So even with all this protection, why do so many PCs still get infected every year more than half.
Speaker 2: You said, it's a frustrating reality. Several reasons. Sometimes the antivirus just isn't running, or it's way out of date. It's that constant cat and mouse game. New malware variants appere daily. Security software has to catch.
Speaker 1: Up old unpatched applications, big.
Speaker 2: Vulnerability, incorrect security configurations, and sometimes weirdly, having multiple antivirus programs installed can cause conflicts and actually leave you less protected than having one good one running properly.
Speaker 1: And the motivation is now profit, not fame.
Speaker 2: Overwhelmingly profit. Yeah. So malware is designed to be stealthy. It uses rootkit techniques to hide and might try to disable your security software, and its main goal is usually stealing data, your identity or holding your system hostage for ransom.
Speaker 1: And if it gets onto a network, its goals.
Speaker 2: Are usually to establish backdoors for later access, spread to other machines on the network, and potentially gain remote control for launching wider attacks or stealing more data.
Speaker 1: Are there specific Windows networking features that are often exploited?
Speaker 2: Yeah, vulnerabilities can exist if things aren't locked down properly. File sharing protocols like SMB network printers, those hidden administrative shares. They can all be potential entry points if not secured.
Speaker 1: Which is why network level security is becoming more important.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, having dedicated appliances or services scanning traffic before it even hits individual PCEs adds a really valuable layer. Security as a service is a growing area.
Speaker 1: So the ideal is both network protection and endpoint protection on each device.
Speaker 2: That's the gold standard. Yes, defense and depth again, cover the perimeter and protect the individual nodes.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk about where attacks come from. Moster external right, the vast majority?
Speaker 2: Yeah, over eighty percent in some reports, things like direct attacks on firewalls, DDS attacks, the usual email viruses and ransomware, spear phishing and targeted hacking of specific applications.
Speaker 1: Firewall attacks and didos Are they just trying to break in or is there more to it?
Speaker 2: Sometimes it's a brute force attempt to find a way. In other times didos is used as a distraction, a smoke screen, flood the target with traffic to tie up their security team while the real attack, maybe data theft, happens elsewhere. Remember that rustock botnet two point four million infected PCs just pumping out spam and potentially launching attacks huge scale, and.
Speaker 1: Email attacks still work depressingly well.
Speaker 2: They do because they target people. Attackers use tricks like encrypting or compressing malware attachments to try and sneak past scanners. We mentioned crypto Locker extorted thirty million dollars. That shows how effective ransomware via email can be.
Speaker 1: How do you even spot ransomware?
Speaker 2: Sometimes often it announces itself pretty loudly with a ransom note pop up, but you might also see specific files, It creates changes to your system registry keys, or sometimes it even changes your desktop wallpaper to the ransom demand, like that p clock two example in.
Speaker 1: The source and spearfishing.
Speaker 2: That sounds more targeted, much more target it. It's not generic spam. They use information about you, maybe from your LinkedIn profile, company, website, social media, to craft a personalized, highly believable email or message designed to trick you specifically, much harder to spot.
Speaker 1: Then there's hacking specific applications like the talk talk brooch that.
Speaker 2: Was a huge one. Yeah twenty fifteen, a teenager used a basic skal injection attack because talk talk had an outdated database component on their website, cost them around seventy five million dollars in fines in recovery.
Speaker 1: Wow. So it highlights the need to check everything, not just the OS.
Speaker 2: Everything all your applications, especially webfacing ones, and critically ensuring any third party services or contractors you use meet your security standards. Remember the FriendFinder network leak hundreds of millions of accounts exposed. Application security is vital.
Speaker 1: Okay, so external threats are huge, but what about attacks from inside?
Speaker 2: Internal threats are a serious and sometimes overlooked risk. Malicious activity from current or former employees, contractors, even visitors. It can be deliberate or purely.
Speaker 1: Accidental, accidental like how.
Speaker 2: The source puts it starkly, human error opens more doors to hackers than technical shortcomings. Insiders, intentionally or not, are involved in maybe a quarter of all attacks, accidentally clicking a fishing link, bringing in an infected USB drive from home, ignoring security procedures because they're inconvenient.
Speaker 1: It all comes back to people, it often does.
Speaker 2: And then there's deliberate social engineering from the inside or targeting insiders. It's like old school spycraft, manipulating people to gain access or information, like.
Speaker 1: Those WWII keep It under your Hat posters, same idea exactly.
Speaker 2: The same psychology. Common tactics today include pretexting, making up a believable story to get info, baiting, leaving infected USB drives, labeled salaries or something tempting, lying around, tailgating, just physically following someone through a secure door.
Speaker 1: And the Ashley Madison hack that was suspected to be internal.
Speaker 2: Strongly suspected yes, and the fallout was devastating because the data was so sensitive. Suicide ruined lives. This is a stark reminder that for businesses holding that kind of data, security has to be paramount almost to any cost because the risk is just too high.
Speaker 1: Okay, so defenses attacks. If the worst happens and you suspect an infection, what tools does Microsoft provide to help you fight back?
Speaker 2: Microsoft actually has a pretty good support ecodsystem. The first place to look is often the Malware Protection Center. It's their main online security portal. Lots of info, updates, downloads, and step by step troubleshooting guides.
Speaker 1: That sounds useful. What else?
Speaker 2: They publish the Microsoft Security Intelligence Report twice a year that gives you a really good overview of the latest threats and trends. Helps you understand what attackers are doing right now?
Speaker 1: Are there tools to check your systems configuration?
Speaker 2: Yes, the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer MBSA. It's free and it scans your system for common security misconfigurations like missing security patches or weak user account settings. Surprisingly useful and not many people know about it.
Speaker 1: And Windows Defender it self of course.
Speaker 2: Right you're built in antivirus, you can easily go into Windows Security Settings to check its status, make sure real time protection is on, see what threats it's found in quarantined, and manage any false positives where it flags a safe file by mistake.
Speaker 1: Beyond the built in stuff, Microsoft offers other tools.
Speaker 2: Yes. Alongside the well known third party options like AVG, Norton, Kasperski, et cetera. Microsoft has specific removal tools. We mentioned the Malicious Software Removal Tool MSRT already that monthly updater.
Speaker 1: For major threat delivered via Windows updates second Tuesday.
Speaker 2: That's the one. Then there's Windows Defender Offline, which we talked about booting outside Windows for deep scans crucial for rootkits.
Speaker 1: How do you launch that in Windows ten?
Speaker 2: It's usually right there in the Windows Security Settings under Virus and Threat Protection scan options, or you can create bootable media like a USB stick for.
Speaker 1: It any other scanners.
Speaker 2: There's the Microsoft Safety Scanner. It's a standalone tool you download. It's designed for one time, on demand scans and expires after ten days ensure you always get the latest definitions when you download it. Handy if you think your main antivirus might be compromised.
Speaker 1: And for big companies anything more advanced.
Speaker 2: For enterprises, there's the Diagnostics and Recovery tool set DART. It's part of a larger management pack. It includes offline tools for troubleshooting and malware hunting, though interestingly the latest DART ten doesn't bundle Defender anymore. They recommend using Defender offline separately now.
Speaker 1: And the really high end stuff using AI and cloud.
Speaker 2: That would be Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection or ATP now. Part of the broader Microsoft Defender suite for enterprises uses machine learning and massive cloud analytics, drawing data from billions of devices worldwide via Azure.
Speaker 1: To spot really advanced attacks.
Speaker 2: Exactly, things like zero day exploits or sophisticated targeted attacks like the Neodemium attack. It detected. It's about spotting subtle patterns and anomalies across a huge data set.
Speaker 1: Very powerful, but what if none of the automatic tools work, say for a brand new zero day threat. Is manual removal ever an option?
Speaker 2: It's the absolute last resort. Extremely risky if you don't know exactly what you're doing, but sometimes necessary. The source walks through an example using a safe test virus from researchers at cqrt PL just illustrate the process.
Speaker 1: What's the very first step sounds critical?
Speaker 2: Isolate the PC immediately disconnected from the network, unplug the Ethernet cable, turn off Wi Fi, stop it spreading further, or calling home to its command server. Crucial first step.
Speaker 1: Then you have to find the actual malware process.
Speaker 2: Running right identify the running process. Task manager might not show it if it's well hidden. You typically use a more advanced tool like process explore from the CS internal suite Cause everything else to reduce noise. Then look for suspicious executables. Process explore can help you find where the file is located and how it's starting automatically, often via the registry.
Speaker 1: Once you find it, can you just kill the process.
Speaker 2: You try to deactivate the malware, but just kill it might not work. Malware often has washdog processes. That just restart the main one immediately.
Speaker 1: So what do you do?
Speaker 2: A trick is to try suspending the process first in process explorer. That freezes it without terminating it, which might prevent the watchdog from noticing right away. Then while it's suspended, you try kill process or kill process tree. You need to note down the file paths and any registry keys it's using.
Speaker 1: Then you check if it worked.
Speaker 2: Yep, test the results. Restart the PC, open process explore again. Did it come back? The test virus often does, maybe with a slightly different name, and it puts its startup entry back in the registry.
Speaker 1: So if it reappears, you need stronger medicine.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Retest the PC, this time maybe using auto runs. Another great sance Internal's tool auto runs shows everything set to start automatically. You look for unsigned entries, often highlighted pink, especially things loading with wind login. You can uncheck entries and auto runs to disable.
Speaker 1: Them, and then you delete the files.
Speaker 2: Finally, yeah, remove the malware. Go to the file locations you found like Windows temp maybe and delete the actual malware executables. Then you need to manually edit the registry to remove the startup entries. You found Auto runs helps identify these complex malware might have files in registry keys scattered all over, so it's meticulous.
Speaker 1: Work, and removing rootkits is even harder requires booting from Linux.
Speaker 2: Rootkit removal often does yes because they hide and protected boot partitions. You need to boot from a separate OS like a Linux Live CD or USB to even see those partitions and files. But messing around in there is incredibly risky. Playing delete the wrong file and Windows won't boot at all. Extreme caution needed.
Speaker 1: And really advanced users might use bcd eat it.
Speaker 2: For the truly brave. Yes, bcd eat it is a command line tool to edit the boot configuration database. You could potentially find and remove malicious boot entries, but again, one wrong command like delete on the wrong entry and your system is brecked. Definitely expert territory.
Speaker 1: So quite a journey. We've gone from floppy diss viruses to sophisticated ransomware, through layers of defense and into the weeds of manual removal. It seems clear modern Windows is much more secure.
Speaker 2: It absolutely is compared to older versions. The built in defenses are significant.
Speaker 1: Butt, and it's a big butt that protection relies on keeping things updated, not messing with default settings, and most importantly, user vigilance, being aware of what you're clicking.
Speaker 2: That's the crux of it, and it's vital to remember. This landscape changes constantly. Malware evolves, new tools appear, old ones fade, new threats emerge. You have to stay alert, keep systems patched, keep users trained.
Speaker 1: Because ultimately the biggest vulnerability often isn't the technology.
Speaker 2: It's the human element. Building that security awareness, that proactive culture, whether it's just for yourself or across a whole organization, that's probably your strongest long term defense.
Speaker 1: The source makes a chilling point. The next war will be fought online, and as hacking gets technically harder, maybe we'll the attackers focus more on physical access. That infected USB stick left in the parking lot becomes the way.
Speaker 2: In It forces us to think about security holistically, digital and physical.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, So the final thought for you listening is what steps will you take today, right now to start fortifying your own digital castle