Speaker 1: Check Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly podcast. Catch the show Monday through Fudday, ten am to noon on Check.
Speaker 1: I think you're gonna want to hear this.
Speaker 2: Your local sports coverage lives here.
Speaker 3: Two nothing.
Speaker 2: It's Alva not so fast Coho breath with John Taylor.
Speaker 3: I say that the winner of the draft lottery should be the winner of a two man loose.
Speaker 4: And Rick Dolly Wall I had a cherry tree a little Ricky. I used to go up that tree and just sit there for hours and bunch on New Cherry Years.
Speaker 2: Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 3: Ten o'clock in downtown. That Gover Bronther Paul Carson Studio. Thanks for tuning in, folks. It's Donnie and Dolly the team on Check. Don Taylor, along with Rick Dollywall. Ryan Henderson is our producer. He is the man at the controls our director. The voice of God is Derek Wong.
Speaker 4: How are you Lovely?
Speaker 3: Switzerland over Canada two to one last night or yesterday last night? The game shuttered at noon yesterday at BC Place. Canada will now play South Africa Sunday in Los Angeles in the round thirty two. Canada advanced. That's the good news. There is some negative news. We'll talk about that a little bit later. Meanwhile, as the press conference Ryan's still going on, it is still going so Canucks GM. Ryan Johnson is meeting with the media ahead of the start of the NHL Draft tomorrow in Buffalo, and as you would expect, he's tackling several subjects. Let's start first of all with his thoughts, Ryan Johnson's thoughts. So this is curtesy'son from Thomas Drantz. Thomas Drantz, our friend from the athletic He's going to join us on the show tomorrow. First of all, Many Mahultra, and this is taking a long time coaching staff, and only his coaching staff, but the coaching staff in Abbotsford, Yes, where Ryan Johnson and Manny Maultra have left. They have to fill vacancies there as at least coaching wise. We got that tweet from Thomas.
Speaker 4: Dress do the honors there, Rick, all right, So Ryan Johnson on filling out Manny Malta's coaching staff. Hope to have something by early next week. Also, Assistant GM Richard Seeley's on his way to hiring a new head coach in Abbsbord. And so they're starting to move, Donnie, They're starting to move because you know why, you know, what's early next week the prospects camp. You know, it'd be nice to have a coaching staff in place be checking out the prospects.
Speaker 3: Thank you, likely to be playing some of them would be likely to be playing in Abbotsford, thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 3: It is taking a while, but you get the idea that this group takes a measured approach to everything, and I don't have a problem with that.
Speaker 4: They are very, very patient. Unlike some on Twitter, They're going to do it at their pace.
Speaker 3: Either that or there's a lot of people saying no to them.
Speaker 4: Possibility. Okay.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, one of the big concerns with the Canucks and every Canadian team in the National Hockey League is with you know, players, most recently Brady Kuchuk American players leaving seemingly left and right for teams in the USA. Ryan had this to say, again courtesy Thomas Drants, are we paying him today? I think maybe we should courtesy Thomas Grants. On the situation with American players and Canadian teams and the National Hockey League, Rick.
Speaker 4: So this is what Ryan Johnson had to say as an organization and to talk about it. Is it something that would make us shy away from drafting a player because of his nationality. Not at this point. Why this is important is because there is a very good possibility the Vancouver Canucks may defense may draft American defenseman Chase Reied tomorrow at the number three spot. So this is the reason why this quote is very important.
Speaker 3: Well, and plus, you've got a lot of American players on the on the team and like going forward, and do you do you acquire American players in the future knowing that they might bolt at the first opportunity. I mean, that's out there.
Speaker 4: Well, and Donnie, they got another high drafted American defenseman, z Buuyam who this summer could sign for seven or eight years. So there's a lot of Americans on Vancouver to discuss about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and again I've said this before on the show, but American players, unlike Russians and Czechs and Swedes and Finns, the only nationality that has that, you know, option of playing in their home country in.
Speaker 4: The National Hockey League.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess you could go to the Cave if you're Russian or the Swedish league if you're you're Swedish, But in terms of playing for a national Hockey league team in their homeland, it's.
Speaker 4: Or the US and that that's it.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's it's it's become it's seemingly becomes trend and of course, of course it's it's a concern.
Speaker 1: Okay, the other I've got a new one. Okay, we should get to now we're going.
Speaker 3: To talk about moving back in the draft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's save that one because the main talking point this week has been Philip Ronic thank you, right, and so Thomas, you got this one. Derek Thomas just tweeted this one out moments ago. Ryan was asked if he's approached veteran players with no moves and no trade clauses. Quote not at this point, specifically ironic. The second part adds that they're doing due diligence and if something develops, that's when they'll approach Canucks players.
Speaker 3: Didn't say no, Wow, didn't say no. What we said not at this.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, which means.
Speaker 3: Maybe somewhere in the near future he will.
Speaker 4: Ask but was it specifically asked the question? Have you asked herosas specifically ronic, so he said not at this point. So it's a possibility still, But as how can you trade him? But nobody seems like nobody seems to think that he's available John Shannon yesterday there was another insider he's not available. Cannucks want to keep him. They need a veteran, they need a captain. There's nothing to signify that he's out.
Speaker 3: They can't trade him. He's going to be their captain, isn't he?
Speaker 4: Rick, Yes, yes, there's a very good possibility he's going to be their captain, is right? Though sarcastic.
Speaker 3: There's no way Philip pron is going to be the captain of that hockey team. No way, no chance. I think I have a total respect for him as a hockey player.
Speaker 1: Rick, right, I haven't. I haven't heard a reporter and say that he's available.
Speaker 4: He's not.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen a single report that yeah, they're thinking about trading him.
Speaker 3: Well then, so things can't come out of the blue. They do all the time.
Speaker 1: I know we're just hearing scuttle butt the at least at the very least about every other player.
Speaker 3: Well, look nothing, if if he is available and you're looking to him, load them you want that news to get out there.
Speaker 4: I will.
Speaker 3: I will say that because you want, you want leverage, you want competition for him, right, you want you want as sweet as sweet a package as possible, And the only way you're going to get that is if multiple teams are interested.
Speaker 4: But it look not at this point. That's that's his quote. That's just quote.
Speaker 3: They are open to this, and of course that's the situation. They're in rebuilding. Thirty second, overall, they have to be open to pretty much everything.
Speaker 4: They should be open everything except the young guys. But you do hear Besser's name, you do hear Petterson's and debrusques. But one team told me they have not heard heronic's name. So it's jiving with all what the insiders are saying. It's just not out there. Done. His name's not out there. Fine.
Speaker 1: He also, I don't know how quickly you can put this one up, Derek. Again, we're kind of deal them with things technically. But Drantz added a quote from Ryan that said, we're in a rebuild, but it's not a selloff. Get as young as you can and get your teeth kicked in, then think things will naturally happen. We want to instantly players, not just with good players, but great people. It's not about strip it down as fast as you can. That was in connection to the asking about the no moves. And I think a lot of people talking about, well, why aren't you why have you already traded Patterson Besser Heronic Debraska, like, what's going on?
Speaker 3: Well, first say you want to get the best you'll pifiers. But secondly, we talked about this a lot, and I'll go back and I talked about this earlier in the week. How people have told us that. In the note, Trevor Lennon said this, you don't want to lose every night eight to eight one. It's demoralizing. Players are going to be want or going to young players even are gonna want out as soon as possible. If you're gonna lose games, you want at least be competitive. Lose three to two, four to two, you know, win the odd game and go from there. But you can't lose eight two. It's also very bad for business.
Speaker 4: You can't lose nine to one. And Ryan, you attacked me yesterday when I said the Canucks have four defensemen under twenty three and they need veterans to insulate around them. And Ryan Johnson just admitted, because that's what's happening. You can't have six defensemen in Vancouver under the age of twenty three. You can, but sure get.
Speaker 3: A great deal for Ronic, but you gotta go for it.
Speaker 4: Great. You're also much like I said, Yes, you're just confirmed. There's all I said. Just also the.
Speaker 1: Notion though of trading veterans and bringing in other veterans.
Speaker 4: But they want some prospects. They want some prospects.
Speaker 1: No, I'm saying though, in free agency whatever, you overpay for another veteran type, but he doesn't have the cachet of Heronic. You cash in on Heronic and bring.
Speaker 3: In a profile training Heroonic.
Speaker 4: I want futures.
Speaker 3: Yes, you get through free.
Speaker 4: But if you trade Ironic, you're not getting a twenty three minute defenseman back. They figured that out. Okay, Okay, let let's move on because he you gonna bring you sit there now, you're you create this giant discussion. Yeah. Well, and you're the one who's on me about keeping on time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and right now we are. But if you keep going on about this, we're not going.
Speaker 4: To be Well.
Speaker 3: No, I had to stop you guys before things got carried away here more in the World Cup. Coming up later, Paul Dolan's going to join us this Alfonso Davies decoy controversy. Paul's going to address that. We recorded an interview with him. He had some really interesting things to say about how Canada may have caught a strange way kind of break yesterday, not a strange way South Africa, but with the upset. Okay, more on that later. Meanwhile, here's what else is coming up on the show. We'll introduce the Walding Dog poll questions soon. DTMZ is it just me? In the eleven o'clock hour, Just after eleven o'clock, Dolly's going to join us Paul Dolan on the World Cup Big Ride quitter Guy later this hour. Ray Ferraro from ESPN, He's going to join his bottom in the hour and up next from the Montreal Canadians. Speaking of trades, the Canucks might make Brendan Gallagher.
Speaker 4: He's going to join us.
Speaker 3: Looking to move on from Montreal after playing just three postseason games during the ABS postseason drive. Brendan's next, Thanks so much for tuning in, Donnie Delight the team on check.
Speaker 2: Donnie and Dollie. The team is supported by able Auctions dot Ca. Closing your Business we can help.
Speaker 3: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets.
Speaker 4: Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 3: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold, Please email sales at able auctions dot ca.
Speaker 4: That's sales at ab l E Auctions dot ca.
Speaker 3: It is Thursday, and all of today's guests, including Brennan Gallagher standing by brought to buy the Vancouver Canadians celebrating their seventy fifth anniversary season. Caesar currently on the road in Hillsboro. They returned to the NAT next Tuesday. That's June thirtieth for another Rick pay attention seventy five cent Hot Dog Night. For tickets and info, visit MiLB dot com. Slash Vancouver Brandon Gallagher x Vancouver Giant NHL right winger just completed his fourteenth NHL season, thirty four years old. All those seasons Rick with the Montreal Canadians, one more year left on his six year contract. Seventy seven games, twenty three points this past season, three playoff games, one goal. Brendan joins US now, Brendan, thanks for doing this their.
Speaker 4: How are you?
Speaker 5: I'm doing fantastic. How are you guys doing very well?
Speaker 4: Are you enjoying the World Cup? Are you watching awesome?
Speaker 6: Of course, of course it's been awesome obviously following Canada and make sure you watch those games. But it seems like, you know, the venues have been great, the superstars performing, so it's been it's been a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: Okay, so let's talk some hockey if you don't mind. You you said at the Habs locker.
Speaker 3: Room clean out, it's pretty clear I'll be moving on here after fourteen seasons. What's it like living with that kind of uncertainty?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, obviously, you know, as you know, playing as long as I have, you kind of understand the business of it as well.
Speaker 7: And you know, it wasn't something.
Speaker 6: That just dawned on me that day, you know, as the season progressed, it was something that was probably being made.
Speaker 5: Clear to me.
Speaker 6: And yeah, and had some tough conversations with my wife and family and you know, these were just part of the business and stuff that was going to happen, so we had time to deal with it. And now I think we're we're all just excited for the next opportunity and what's next wherever that may be.
Speaker 3: What a career you've had. But how difficult was it to be part of perhaps terrific playoff run, but spending so much time of watching instead of playing that was that.
Speaker 5: Was the toughest part.
Speaker 6: You know obviously, uh you know, seeing what the guys are going through and you know, really feeling like that you can help and you can contribute, you know, just just not having the opportunity, so you're trying to do what you can.
Speaker 5: But you know, it was it was just tough.
Speaker 6: It was tough, as you know, as someone that's been doing it as long as I have, there's you know, they're just areas where you know, you felt like you could contribute and not being able to was was a little frustrating, a little difficult, and at the same time you feel for the guys going through it and battling as hard as they did because they really put their bodies on the line, and that was you know, a very very exciting run to the city here as well.
Speaker 3: What kind of emotions did you go through, Brandon, Like, I mean, you know, you read articles, is you being treated fairly by Martell Saint Louis? But what what were the what were the emotions you went through?
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was a.
Speaker 5: Little bit everything, a little bit of everything.
Speaker 6: You know, you're you're disappointed, You're upset, you're you're frustrated, you know, a little bit everything. So you feel those just like anyone else. But at the same time, you know, I also can look back and be so incredibly proud of my time here in Montreal and so thankful for.
Speaker 5: Everything and every opportunity that I've had.
Speaker 6: And I don't have a single bad thing to say about the organization day I was drafted, you know, the Mulson family and uh, you know every coach and GM that I've been teammates obviously that I've had over the years. I I have no negative words to express. It's just nothing but but positivity. And then you know, not many people get to play in the city for as long as I did. And then you know, at the same time, I can be excited about what's next, and that's that's kind of where I'm at now.
Speaker 4: Hey, Brendan, you mentioned Vancouver in your year end news conference. I love to end up in Vancouver. We all know why. But but what would it mean to you to end up here in the Lower Mainland with the Canucks.
Speaker 6: I mean, there's just so much, there's so much that goes into that that would be good for for me and my family. Obviously, you know, my wife is Is is pregnant right now. By the time next season starts, we're gonna have we're gonna have two little ones under too, So that's you know, having family around is something that you know, I have to think about when making this decision. But on top of that, I grew up in Vancouver. I know what that city's like. When the team's team's winning and the team's doing well, it's it's such a you know, a special place, you know, I uh and for the majority of the last you know, a couple of decades, that team has been been a very good team, and I know how special the city it is. So you know, obviously, just just knowing that, you know, and obviously growing up in the area, it would uh, you know, it would be nice. But like I said it, there's so much that goes into it. There's uh, you know, you can be interested, but you need someone to be interested back. So for me, it's just kind of waiting to see where where the next opportunity is and wherever that may land.
Speaker 4: Your dad runs uh, one of the best academies anywhere. You have a young family at the forefront of all your decisions right now, it is family, is it not brandan?
Speaker 5: Of course, I mean that's number one.
Speaker 6: You know, anyone who's had kids understands that as soon as as soon as you're you're a parent and a husband, you know, those those have to be your top priorities.
Speaker 5: And that's as much as.
Speaker 6: We love the game and as much as we love everything that goes into it, and you know, it's just it's it's just not as important. And then after you take care of your family, you know, you can find yourself in a position where you're still able to be happy and play the game that we love. But you know, certainly, like I mentioned, you know, I have a I have an obligation as as a as a father and as a as a husband to do what's right for my family as well.
Speaker 4: You're leaving one of the best young teams in the NHL. If you come to Vancouver it's a rebuild. You went through a rebuild in Montreal. How could you help here with that experience?
Speaker 5: Well, I just think one of the most important things is culture. You see real bill.
Speaker 4: As that go well.
Speaker 5: You see them that you know that seemed to take forever.
Speaker 6: You have to have the right people around and culture something from day one you need you can't lose.
Speaker 5: You need to have it.
Speaker 6: I mean, these are young players that are going to grow up and be the cornerstone in your franchise for hopefully a decade longer, and you want them to understand.
Speaker 5: From a young age, you know, the right way to do things.
Speaker 6: And that was something that I was so fortunate about as a young player here in Montreal.
Speaker 5: I came in and the group of guys that we had was was so good to me and taught me so much.
Speaker 6: And you know, there's there's some players around the league that just don't have that. If you want, if you want to rebuild or a retool or whatever you want to call it, to go well, and you know, culture is just the number one thing that you have to prioritize.
Speaker 3: Brandon thirty four years old, how much gas is left in the tank in your opinion.
Speaker 6: No, I still I still feel as confident as ever that I can still play this game. I mean it's you know, obviously you see the kids come up there, there's talented as ever.
Speaker 5: But you know, I'd given the opportunity here.
Speaker 6: It's just, you know, I just feel more confident, you know, in your experience and your understanding of the league and different areas to have success and contribute.
Speaker 5: And yeah, you know I'm not done yet.
Speaker 4: I know that.
Speaker 6: I'm just I just need to put myself in a position where you know, that opportunity is given.
Speaker 5: And yeah, I'm not worried about the rest of.
Speaker 3: Well, how much has it changed, Brandon, you broke in in twenty eleven. How much has the skill level increased, especially with the kids through the years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's I mean it's it's a different game.
Speaker 6: It's uh, there's there's things that are easier about there's things that are a little less difficult. I always like tell guys, you know, when you were when you're playing a back to back going out west through California, you were kind of lucky to get a point. You know, the physicality that those teams to bring, especially knowing that the physicality isn't quite where it was, but the speed is much higher and the you know, the the skill level of the talent every player coming up is. You know, it's just at a different level than it was when I was breaking into the league. You know, the game hasn't evolved and adapted, and that's one of the things that I've appreciated most most about, you know, playing in you know, a couple of different eras is you understand that and uh, and you learn from it and as a player able to kind of challenge yourself and adapt as well.
Speaker 3: What are your off season plans?
Speaker 6: Well, right now, I'm I'll be a Montreal for most of it, so you know, I've been I've been working out and I'm gonna get back on the ice here next week and taking care of things.
Speaker 5: So we're you know, giving birth here very soon. That's gonna be uh, you know, once we.
Speaker 6: Take care of that, figure out you know, where I'm gonna be playing, it'll be uh, you know, something that we can kind of adapt to make some changes. But for the most part, it's just that you know, be around the family, enjoy it. You know, in the mornings, take care of what I need to do to be ready.
Speaker 4: Hey Brendan, your history in Vancouver, doesn't you know, just go back a couple of years Vancouver Giants. You're one of the best alumni. You keep tabs with the Giants, I know you do. Ron Toygo and those guys. These that team still means a lot to you.
Speaker 6: Of course, of course I think that. I think everyone who moves on you take pride and where you came from.
Speaker 5: And you always like to follow it.
Speaker 6: And you know, we got a couple of WESTERNLYU guys on the team, and you always when you're you know, if the Giants were playing Saskatoon, me and Doccer would be, you know, talking about you know, it's just one of those things where you never forget where you came from.
Speaker 5: And I'm very proud of be a Giant.
Speaker 4: That was.
Speaker 5: I'm just I'm so thankful.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't be anywhere where I am today without everyone in my in my past, and the Giants were a huge part of that. And getting the chance to spend four years with such a good junior organization that again, I know a lot of people get that opportunity was it was so good for me. You see all the pros that come through the organization just.
Speaker 4: Not a flute. You know.
Speaker 6: It happens for a reason and they do things right around there. And yeah, as an alumni, we're very.
Speaker 5: Proud of that.
Speaker 3: Okay, get back to working out there, Brandon, and I'm not talking about hockey. I'm talking about preparing for two little ones under the age of two into the gym, buddy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you got any advice, I'll tell you.
Speaker 3: Hey, listen, it is all a blur. I have three Rick Scott two. I have blurs because I can't remember anything it all. It all went by so quickly.
Speaker 4: Enjoy it. But it's up.
Speaker 5: We're looking forward to we'll see how we do.
Speaker 6: You know, everyone always says it's not like the first, but you know, I hope it's exact same because I know what I'm doing with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, all the best, Brandon, and we'll see what happens in the offseason with your career. Thanks so much, buddy, appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Gus. You bet.
Speaker 3: Brandon Gallagher of the Montreal Canadians one more year left in his contract AAV of six point five. Is there any do we Ryan, was any chance Ryan Johnson met Man there's a lot of Ryans around met with the media today as we talked about it in our first segment. Any chance he hit the subject of Brandon Gallagher at all?
Speaker 1: I haven't seen anything posted, and unfortunately, that's kind of all I'm going on right now. So I don't know if he's been asked about that or not.
Speaker 3: Okay, I mentioned the name Ryan, and I've said this before on the show, but I remember at the end of his career when he was with the Montreal Canadians and he ended up joining the Vancouver Canucks. Ryan Walter, Ryan Walter, Ryan, Ryan Walter. His last a couple of seasons I believe great was he with the banker of a Canucks Burnaby guy and it was a fit back then. He helped a lot of young players back then, including Trevor.
Speaker 4: Lind They're working on it, Donnie. They're talking them on John, trying to get a deal done.
Speaker 3: Okay, I want to hit the pole now, Ryan, We got time, We got time only? Yeah, all right, watling dog pole question Away we go experienced one of Victoria's iconic destinations, catch the World Cup at the Dog with Canada games shown live and loud and all twenty two TVs with full sound. Come sit and stay at the Walling Dog in Victoria today, Rick, Ryan get her up the watling Dog.
Speaker 4: Pop pole question, what is your reaction to the Canucks lack of trade activity so far this week? Look at this? Sixty one percent disappointed, but forty percent saying, hey, good, look at this. Glad they're patient, and Ryan Johnson again said this morning, we're gonna be patient. This isn't a marathon wherein you're one of a rebuild. Like if people want to Fluria trades just for the hell of a Fluria trades, it ain't gonna happen. These guys and the Sadeine twins and Ryan are not built like that to just make a trade to appease a bunch of guys on social media. If a trade makes sense, they'll make it. If it doesn't make sense, they won't make it. You got to make a trade for the right reasons, not the wrong reasons.
Speaker 1: By the way, these the live results of the poll right now are fifty to fifty.
Speaker 4: Fifty to fifty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so it's it's close.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, you know.
Speaker 3: I again, they seem to be a group that are going to take a measured approach. Yes, I'm okay with that. I have to miss Alex Tuck deal. I mean it's EP forty eight year in fact eight years, ten point five and you can argue that. And again, this is a very good hockey player sixty six points last year, but he's thirty years old, ten point five av.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's the it's the Adrian camp A deal in LA. That's the comparable. They got them money. Sure, that doesn't mean it's right, though, Hey, somebody thought it was right because they paid them that.
Speaker 3: Okay, well we're used to that in Vancouver. Washington's top six, top nine forwards, like you saw this all over Turtius today, comparing a lot to you know, Florida's as to who's got the best if you want to call it, top nine forwards in the National Hockey League. Okay, a break and up next from Espan our friend Ray Ferraro, He's next, Toney thet.
Speaker 4: A new era is underway and RBC is proud to be the newest partner of your Vancouver Canucks, says we write this next chapter. Starting next season, RBC clients they will get exclusive access to private entrances in game perks and enhanced experiences at all home games, bringing you closer to the Canucks experiences you love the most. Stay tuned for more details out of the twenty twenty six twenty twenty seven home opener, proudly presented by RBC. Your ideas happened here at RBC.
Speaker 3: Looking for the ultimate at Vancouver Island getaway, Head to beautiful Parksville and experience the Bayside ocean Front Resort, where every stay feels like a vacation you'll never forget. From sunrise walks on the beach to sunsets on the patio, Bayside puts you steps from the sand with ocean views in every direction, Splashing the indoor and outdoor pools, hit the fitness center, then relax with a hand crafted cocktail at the ocean front restaurant and lounge. Whether it's date night, a family trip, or a corporate event, Bayside is your perfect year round escape. Book your getaway now at two five zero, two four eight eight triple three.
Speaker 4: Your Island adventure starts here.
Speaker 3: Remember that dead electric leaf blower in the garage, still hoping it'll come back to life.
Speaker 4: Ope I see is PC's recycling program for battery powered and electric outdoor power equipment.
Speaker 3: Just like other electronics, electric lawn and garden equipment can also be recycled when it reaches the.
Speaker 4: End of its u Old electric yard duels don't have to end up in the landfill. If you're an electric outdoor power equipment cappy fixed, it could be recycled.
Speaker 3: Whether it's a leaf blower, trimmer, or lawnmower. Many can be recycled for free in BC. Visit opeic dot Ca to find a depot near you and recycle responsibly.
Speaker 4: That's OPEC dot CA. Haven't heard that for a while.
Speaker 9: Oh.
Speaker 3: All today's guests, including Ray Ferraro, standing by, brought to you by the Vancouver Canadians celebrating Anniversary seventy five. For tickets at info, visit MIILB dot com, Slash Vancouver a day away from the NHL Entry Draft, and we're joined now by Ray Ferraro, BC Sports Hall of Famer, NHL on ESPN. Ray, thanks for doing this, sir.
Speaker 4: How are you?
Speaker 8: I'm good? Actually I got a bonus today. I'm talking to Ryan just offline there and he said, hey, you know they can see you, but you can't see that perfect and never never have I gotten better news. That's awesome.
Speaker 4: Come on, and we understand.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna tell I know you're a hockey crazy family, you're also a soccer crazy family.
Speaker 4: How much are you enjoying the World Cup?
Speaker 8: Unbelievable? I just I love it. You know what, there's a couple of things I like. Certainly it brings pride right to you know. When I see people walking around yesterday with their Canada shirts on, just kind of walking around through the day, I'm like, man, it's just it's so good to see people proud and like people are happy. It's almost like the Olympics, right, It's like, remember that everybody's trying to win, but the competition felt different. It was like it's all nationalistic pride, and the fans that are here are having a great time. We see the like the Scots and the Norwegians and the the people from the Netherlands are just having like amazing times, and I'm like, it's just awesome. We've got we've got our TV on literally from noon to ten every day, and we're now we're a little sour that the games are doubling up because we miss games, right, So yesterday we're watching we think it's the important game. We're watching Korea and and and then we're then South Africa. But prior to that, we were watching the checks and we're like, wait a minute, we're watching the wrong game maybe, and so so fun to like change over. We just we love it. It's it's awesome. I'm so happy it's gone the way it had, like the attendants and the marches. And we went to the Katar game and we were in the march. The kids wanted to go. So we get into the building. It's five thousand degrees walking there, and I said, the came, I go, this was awesome. I'm not so sure I need to chew on that red smoke again.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: So, but it was so fun, right it was. It was great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And well you get a chance to do it again.
Speaker 3: And as good as the games are, the shots of the crowd and the fans and the marches fabulous.
Speaker 4: But I'm switching to hockey rate if you don't mind.
Speaker 3: We had just had Brendan Gallagher on the show just moments ago. He was great, much much like yourself. Would he be a fit with the Vancouver Cannucks might be a bit of a stretch. But that story's out there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So when when Brendan got drafted, of course, you know he's a little bit younger than Landin's but I knew him through the hockey community here, and you know, he was a couple of years behind, like Marty Jones and Landon's group, you know, all those guys of that age. And he gets drafted and I'm on the radio in Montreal and he was just about to get called up, and I told Mitch Melnick, who's a legendary radio guy in Montreal, he's awesome. I go, you guys will love this kid. I can't even begin to tell you how much you're going to love him. And he's like, really, he's a sixth round pick. And I'm like, I'm telling you, just watch him for two weeks and that'll And of course they just fell in love with him in Montreal. As far as coming here, it depends on what else transfires. I think he is a fit because one of the focuses has been about building a culture and a team, and like, look what Caroline has done. I don't think Carolina had the best players, they had the best team, Like they built something that was going in step by step direction was in one way. It wasn't all over the map. And I think Galley would be as someone that the younger guys can look at and go, yeah, he's not what he used to be. But that guy lays his hail on the line all the time, and it's in the gym. It's the stuff we don't see. It's not just the game. And you can say, well, what does that all matter? I wish I could give you a reason why it does, except it does when the guy you have enough people doing it the right way long enough, I think it becomes a legit factor in building your team.
Speaker 4: Hey, Ray, do you have a problem if the Canucks strap Caleb Maulter annoying the father as the head coach. Where's your thought process on that? For me?
Speaker 8: I don't, mainly because I think in some places or in some cases, it would be an issue. I think each case would be incredibly different because of the dynamic between what the father and the son would do. If they think Caleb's the right guy, they should take him. And the reason is, in most cases, players will outlast coaches. Yes, and so if you're making the decision for today because you're worried about how an eighteen year old gets along with his dad. I think you're I think you're looking at this all upside down because Manny. First of all, Manny is a special guy. He's different. He is He's just he's different. You guys have talked to him enough, and we've seen him the way. You know, he was a top scorer, he was a high end prospect. His career went through, uh, you know, through the mud, and he had to reinvent himself as this tenacious, two way, dependable, responsible player, and so he had to accept that he had to grow and change. And there are a bunch of buzzwords to it, guys, but he's just different. And I don't and I do think that if Caleb's drafted at three, it's not like he's coming here in September. There's time for Manny to get his feet on the ground as they as all of them grow into this process. Henrick and Daniel and RJ and you know, the new assist, the GMS and you know and the coach and whatever the staff is going to look like. Caleb's going to be off doing his thing, and that's up to the player development guys to to help with that. That's got nothing to do with Manny, and I think that separation gives them a little bit of a cushion for Manny to be comfortable in implementing the system of play and the system of culture that he wants.
Speaker 4: Ray so much talk in Vancouver about Philip Ronick. People want him gone, people want him to wave. But Ray, you can't have six young defensemen on the Canucks blue line. You need some veterans there to insulate them and guide them along. What's your thoughts on ironic.
Speaker 8: Well, if somebody blows them away with a with a trade, well then you make the trade. If it's a lukewarm offer, then you hang. Because here's the thing I when I hear this stuff, guys, I almost kind of laugh because, on one hand, we talk about at the length of what a rebuild is like, it's not going to be fast and so, but now you got to you gotta trade Heronic because we could get another you know, a high draft pick or whatever the bounty would be for him. It doesn't have to be today. This is this is a longer road than we're just in the the infancy of it. It's way easier to offload players than it is to bring them in right to get the players you want to come out on the other side of the rebuild with with Heronic. If there's no deal that you know that the Canucks have to take, why wouldn't you wait and towards the deadline. It doesn't have to be in July and August, in September, it could be in March. It could be at next draft. If the right bounty is there, you make the deal. As far as the young d if they were able to get that deal and Heronic is the player that they move out, you can find not as good, but you can find players to play one in two years to start to insulate some of these younger kids. Because you're right, Rick, I mean you you could. You could play six young guys out there. They'd get their teeth kicked in. That's it because I just watched, you know, from five feet away. I just watched the Stanley Cup final. Yeah, you tell me the young guys playing in that thing. Zero. There are men. They've been through it, they've been bounced around, they've all had their ups and downs in their career, and then all of a sudden they're players. They're like real players. I'll give you a perfect example, this guy I couldn't believe how well he played with Shane gostis Bear in the final. He's on his like his fourth team, and you know you can't you can't get there in a hurry. We'd all love it to happen. Every team would love it to happen. So I think Carolina's got an amazing, amazing team. I think Rod Brinda Moore is as good as anybody that coaches the game. And it took them eight years, and how many times did you say that's a really good team and they lost again. It takes more time than people might think, and you can still do everything right and still not win.
Speaker 4: Uh right.
Speaker 3: Connor McDavid said he and Leon drysidele pushed to get Mike him a particular push to get Mike Babcock at Edmonton. Let's go back a bit to when you were playing. Would you want would you want to play for Mike Babcock?
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, well at my as a twenty eight year old, no, I think he would have crushed me like Mike is. Mike is smart, He is a a really good tactician. He is an absolute steamroller and if you're in the way, he's going right over Toppy. I've we've heard all of these stories about players that didn't like playing for Mike, and for various reasons, whether it's Johann Franzen or I mean, my comment or cracks me up with this when he talks about Babs. But but it's player after player. Daniel Winnick was out recently. You know, I've heard enough stories from Land and then his short time there about this too. I don't hear a lot of guys saying, yeah, you know what, I love playing for Babs. I think he's great. I hear you hear that about John Tortorella. You hear that about Peter Laviolette, you hear about that about Bruce Cassidy. These guys are hard asses, and you don't hear that about Mike and what So my concern is not that it has to be a group hug at the end of every practice. But my concern, if I have any, would be when he left in Toronto, when he got fired, they were a mess and that and that's not about what happened in Columbus. That's a whole other thing for somebody else to dig into. I'm talking from the hockey perspective. The way that coaches have to talk and speak and communicate to young players. Now I hear this stuff, you know. I listened to Connor's interview and actually, I guys, I was quite impressed. I was like, man, he is just way well, he's mature. He's like he's on it. Like I. The word accountability in Connor McDavid should never be in the same sentence in my opinion, that guy, what more does he need to be accountable for? When they lost in Game seven, you know, two years ago, the people come out, I'm reading all over will he ever win? Did he do enough to win? He had forty three points? Well, everybody's talking what a great playoff Marner had. He had twenty nine. He lapped the field. He had forty three points. Connor's not gonna be. Connor's not gonna have a problem. Like Babs can bark up and down as much as he want. That guy plays his ass off. I played against Mike Babcock forty years ago. He wasn't a great player. And unless they can figure out how to fill the holes of the team, it's not gonna be. It's it's not gonna it'll matter a little bit, but it won't matter what they're looking at. They're looking at a bar that's pretty high and to climb over it is a minuscule difference. Can his system make the goalie better, because that's a problem. I do think they'll be a better defensive team. Like how is How's Evan Bouchard gonna respond to this? I don't know, but I don't think Leon and Connor are going to be the problem. Are gonna have problems with him? Because those guys are brilliant players, but some of the other guys. And I bring up Bouchard because he can as we've seen, he can go up and down like the tides. There's gonna be some challenges there for sure.
Speaker 4: Okay, you mentioned forty years ago playing Babcock. Quickly, if it's possible forty four years ago, kid from Trail, I'm going to make you do this again.
Speaker 3: I think I do it every year. In nineteen eighty two, my gosh, it seems like yesterday for me. What do you remember about the day you were drafted by the Hartford Waiters. You're all you're at the draft, aren't you, And there was a big party and then know what happened?
Speaker 8: Yeah, first of all, there were no draft parties back then. The start with number two. I was crushed, disappointed, couldn't believe that I went so late. I went the fifth round there were I led the BC Junior League in scoring by fifty points and I was the fourth player picked out of the league that year, and like I was, I stayed home from school. I thought I was. There was some chatter that I would be like kind of a second round pick, and I'm not lying here. I kept calling the radio station and trail, which was cjat calling and saying, hey, it's Ray Ferraro's my name been called yet? And the guy would go through whatever he was looking at and go nope. End of the second round. And then after a while I stopped calling and I get a call and the guy goes, hey, You've been drafted fifth round by Hartford. And I think he thought that was good news. And I was like, yeah, thanks, and I hung up, and my mom was there, you know, dad was at work, and she goes, what happened? I said, effing Hartford? And I went upstairs into my room and sat there for a bit and then I'm like, well, I got drafted in the NHL. And I was such a big deal to the Whalers. They called a week later, yes, and told me that I got drafted. So, you know, but in that draft I got to say. They drafted Kevin Dineen in the third round, Alfie Samuelson in the fourth round, and I went in the fifth round. And so it turned out to be a really good draft.
Speaker 4: But I was not.
Speaker 8: I was not happy. I was crushed. And as it turned out, Hell, could it have been any better? I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it all worked out, Cgat at Trail, Rick, you worked there, didn't you? You worked everywhere.
Speaker 4: I went to Trail for an interview ray and I did a game in Kamiko Arena, beautiful ring.
Speaker 8: But you didn't get the gig. Right, that's a b I b up.
Speaker 4: That's nineteen eighty nine. I'm sure you had something to do with it. Listen. Rick was drafted in the seventh round. I went in the ninety ninth round.
Speaker 8: Yes, could you do me one favorite?
Speaker 4: Rick?
Speaker 8: I want you to if you could mention the coach's name in Kitchener again, wasn't it in Kitchener? Or who won the Memorial Cup? What's that guy's name again?
Speaker 4: Finished that I got it righty here. Don't stretch with the name, you know, but it's.
Speaker 8: The last name that came out in four in one sentence, came on three different ways. It was my favorite part of the last month.
Speaker 4: Where the hell is it? I got here? Who's soho? So? No, it's a h hoko a hoko? Not even close, that's not a hoko. Somewhere are your buddies with the guy? Do you know him? Ray? Like? What the hell? No?
Speaker 8: No, but I can read.
Speaker 4: Ray.
Speaker 3: He's gonna pull a groin if he does that.
Speaker 4: You know me, Ray, I put your names left, right and center, you know.
Speaker 8: And you get good support from Donnie there.
Speaker 3: The old days with Pratt.
Speaker 4: You see you see a coat? Okay, keep trying. Yeah, join us in about a year, Ray read Ferraro. As long as I get Ferraro, that's all the matters.
Speaker 8: Yes, I appreciate that. Thank you.
Speaker 4: Thanks Ray. Have a great summer.
Speaker 8: You guys have a great summer. I hope the draft weekends. Thexlighting man. They's sure, but a lot of stuff going on, isn't there in Uh, there'll be plenty before this is all finished.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll get everything we need to know from Cgat.
Speaker 2: Thanks Ray, that's yes, Tony, thank you.
Speaker 4: Okay, you bet right.
Speaker 3: From esp We are way over, time over.
Speaker 4: We'll take a break.
Speaker 3: We'll do some business later, Big Ryan. Next, Donnie Deller the team lund Jack.
Speaker 4: Looking for one of Victoria's most iconic stays. The award winning Waddling Dog has been welcoming guests and their dogs for over thirty years. Ten minutes from the airport and the ferry, their room blend vented charm with modern comfort, making it the perfect home base for your island adventures. Your trip isn't complete without a stop at the legendary Waddling Dog. Pop twenty taps, wald Wall TVs every Canucks game and UFC pay per view, plus an extensive daily happy hour, and before you go, stuck up at their cold beer wine store, hundreds of local and imported options, class exclusive Donnie and Dolly merchandise. The Dog isn't just a hotel, It's a destination. Come sentence day, Big Ryan Twitter guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot happening, a ton happening, including locally here with another hockey team, the Vancouver Giants guys, confirming something that had been rumored and reported on. Rick had this a while ago. Michael Dick returning to the Vancouver Giants organization as head coach and GM. That's HL Calder Cup champion Michael Dick. He's returning to the organization, if you don't know. Previously served as as Giants head coach from twenty eighteen through twenty twenty three, then departed the organization and like I mentioned, wins the Calder Cup with the Marleys a couple weeks ago, and now he's coming back here as GM and head coach of the.
Speaker 3: Yeah, keeping in mind the first time around he didn't have the GM title right exactly.
Speaker 4: So they've gone through too many coaches. I was just gonna say Rick lat a few years, this guy's gonna bring some stabilities, a great dub guy. And uh, this is a really really good move by the Giants, really good move from Lethbridge.
Speaker 1: And so there was a lot of thoughts Hurrican, he coached the Hurricane wanted to come back out this way. So it makes a lot of sense. So Michael Dick back with the Vancouver Giants. Okay, moving on, Jesse marsh slight update on Alfonso Davies this morning. Okay, this is from James Duffy. A good pal from TSN. This is jesse Marsh's comment. Alfonso Davies came to him before the game yesterday and said he wanted to play, but he hadn't hit the physical benchmarks necessary, so the team did not want to risk it. And I should mention I don't have this for Derek unfortunately. But moments ago Ben Steiner from Sports Illustrated we've had Ben on the show as well. He's covering the national team. He posted on Twitter that Alfonso Davies is running alone this morning with his independent trainer. He has not done so in recent training sessions where he's been running actually uh And Jesse Marsh added on to this from duty saying that the use of a decoy was worthwhile. But so again it's getting muddy to me, like, so was he a decoy or he wasn't fit to play?
Speaker 4: Which one?
Speaker 1: Which one is it? Because because before the match he was available, postmatch he was a decoy and today he's not healthy but he's playing Sunday.
Speaker 3: It was it was undoubtedly both. It wasn't fit to play, but they said he might be available, and so it was both.
Speaker 1: I guess, I guess I don't know.
Speaker 4: Why call if he's not gonna play. Why cough up a roster spot for this guy?
Speaker 3: Well, eight players didn't play.
Speaker 4: I mean, if he wasn't, point is he's the best player on the team. And you know I I I just don't get this, this whole thing. What's the big deal? It is a big deal. Doney's her.
Speaker 1: It's super.
Speaker 4: He tells he's ready. Yeah, he's closed, he's ready.
Speaker 3: He said he was shopping him as a decoy. That's fine, Okay, everybody gets so upset about this, but the timeline of things they dressed twenty four players had done the timeline of things. Marsh he's playing in the tournament, not playing in the opener. He's playing in the tournament. Okay, we're three through game. Three through three games.
Speaker 4: He's not healthy. He was available against Keep telling everyone he's a possibility. He's explaining it. He's saying he's a d You're getting Canadian hopes up high. You don't think in the Switzerland game there were fans going put him in, put him in, put him in, put him in. So they're down to nothing, put him in.
Speaker 1: It's becoming a distraction. To be honest with you, it is. It's because of what he's doing too.
Speaker 4: If he had just said, think that's why they lost the game yesterday.
Speaker 3: No, they lost the game because they were they were They were not very good at the start of the first half the second that's why they're if you know, they should have had a hydration break at the start of both halves were better after the hydration nailed that.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, that's why.
Speaker 3: They lost the game. I think they were nervous at the start. I mean, understandably so, but I mean.
Speaker 1: But to Rick's point, though, if you're a Canadian fan, you're sitting in BC place yesterday they go down one nil, you look and you're going, uh is he?
Speaker 4: Is he warming not healthy?
Speaker 3: Then Dolan's gonna tell us right now that he did not he he when they decided to go to their substitutes, and you have players running back and forth on the sidelines, uh near the near the dugo, he wasn't one of them. He didn't take the warm up. It was clear he wasn't gonna play. So he said he was a decoy. You know, he's trying to.
Speaker 4: Get into the heads of the Swiss.
Speaker 3: It didn't work, but at least he tried. I don't think there's any big mystery here, Like, I don't know, it doesn't nobody's getting so upset about it. And I think it's kind of obvious with the situation he's not healthy. You want him to play and snap his hamstring again and he's not gonna be available later.
Speaker 1: No, but be clear, it's not been clear.
Speaker 4: There's no fans deserve that.
Speaker 1: Like Christen Polisitic has not been playing for the USA, he got injured in their first match. They've been giving their fans like they're kind of being screwed around. He's he's fit, he's a deco.
Speaker 3: Would have to be the dumbest person in the world to not realize why he's not playing.
Speaker 4: He's not healthy. No, so tell everybody, don't dress them, don't tell people there's fifteen minutes tis.
Speaker 3: It's it's not the best way of going about things. But he's using he's using the decoy ploy that it didn't work. Look a million times on the shows that I've done through the years, you will have coaches say that the margin between winning and losing in most teams is razor thin and if you could just use the littlest thing to try to get an edge, And again this didn't work.
Speaker 4: You try it. So he tried it.
Speaker 3: He used the decoy, you know, ploy, I'll use that word again, and it didn't work.
Speaker 4: He's hurt.
Speaker 1: Now he's apparently available, apparently available for Sunday. We'll see.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is just sometimes people heal. So I don't think that.
Speaker 3: So you're saying, are you are you saying that he was okay yesterday.
Speaker 4: I'm saying that the coach is giving hope to Canadian fans and there's no hope that that's also false, it's lying, But alright.
Speaker 3: So you want to help out Switzerland high you know, look, he's heard he's not gonna plays before thinking about probably you give.
Speaker 4: It a shot.
Speaker 1: But you're not seeing how like all of this doesn't add up to what before the tournament. He's playing in the tournament. He's not starting, he hasn't played in the tournament. We're heading a game four.
Speaker 4: This was just this just in. He's not a doctor, Jesse Marsh. He's probably hopeful that what's going on, he knows what's going on. He's probably hopeful that he was going to play on the.
Speaker 1: Start of the hurt again, has he really readed himself?
Speaker 4: Maybe?
Speaker 1: Is that a possibility.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: And also I'm sorry, and you know people are gonna say it's on the media care about this. He refused to talk to the media esterday. That you didn't talk his entire time your man, and I guess they can say he's hurt, but he's not hurt. He's available for the match. So if you're available for the match, my opinion, you should be able to talk to the meaning he's out.
Speaker 4: In Vancouver downtown to doing the pit stops in North Fan, West Bend and functions he's been doing period. You can be all over Vancouver walking around and doing the appearances, you can talk to the media. That's a bad look.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I agree with the media. And you know this is his old stomping ground.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Surprised he hasn't talked, But that's the biggest issue, of course, is that he's hurt and he can't play.
Speaker 1: I don't know the whole thing.
Speaker 4: Tell us that don't trust No, he just said he used him as a decoy.
Speaker 3: He tried that clearly didn't work.
Speaker 4: Move on. I don't know.
Speaker 1: The whole thing is weird.
Speaker 4: It' here more.
Speaker 1: We gotta break and we and Dolan's gonna get more today. Here Dolan's gonna explain some more about it, including the Bayern Munich angle to this whole as well. On the other side, our World Cup correspondent Paul Dolan is next to Donny Dolly, the team on Check.
Speaker 3: Hey everyone, it's Donnie and Dolly and we're looking to partner with your company.
Speaker 4: We have several packages and price points to fit your budget and spread the word about your company on the show, in our podcast and on social media.
Speaker 3: We'd love to get involved with your company called two five oh eight, eight oh twenty two eighty two or email advertise at checkmedia dot Ca.
Speaker 4: Thursday and as match in all in.
Speaker 3: Today's guests, including Paul Dolan, standing by the talk World Cup brought to you by the Vancouver Canadian celebrating anniversary seventy five. See is currently on the road in Hillsboro. That's an Oregon by the way. They returned to the NAT next Tuesday, June thirtieth for another seventy five Hot Dog Night. For tickets and info, visit MiLB dot com. Slash Vancouver Canada loses two to one to Switzerland yesterday at BC Place and here to talk about that in all matters World Cup. Paul Dohen, thanks for doing this, sir.
Speaker 4: How are you verry good? How are you doing very well?
Speaker 3: Let's get right into it here we mentioned Switzerland beating Canada two to one. Do you have a problem with Jesse Marsh using Alphonso Davies as a decoy against Switzerland, because a lot of people are upset about this.
Speaker 10: Paul, Yeah, I don't have a problem. I just wondered why you did it. I don't think it was necessary. I don't think it tricked the Swiss. I think the Swiss spent zero point five seconds thinking about what if Alphonso Davies came in.
Speaker 7: I mean, most of.
Speaker 10: The technical staffs these days they do a thorough background search on every single player they'll face. But the bottom line is they planned their game how they want to play, and that's first and four most in what they do. So the fact that Alfonso Davies might come on for ten minutes, because we knew it'd be no more than that, even if it was to come on, I don't think it was even necessary to bring him up. But you know, Jesse has a way of maybe trying to get in the heads of opposition teams or whatever it might be.
Speaker 7: So I don't think it's a really big deal.
Speaker 10: Frankly, I just don't think he needed to do it because I don't think it had any effect one way or the other.
Speaker 4: Any idea.
Speaker 3: What's going on with Alfonso Davies Paul? Is he still injured? Is Byron Munich getting in the way? What have you heard?
Speaker 4: What do you think?
Speaker 10: It's hard to know about being on the ground in the camp speaking to the medical staff. I mean, really they're the only ones that know. But when you see I don't want to say the body language, but the lack of activity on the sideline during the games warming up, I mean, he was never a consideration. He doesn't even warm up with the rest of the team to any real great degree while the game's going on. So I knew he wasn't going to be a sub based on that. If you were going to use him at any time to win the group, you probably would have.
Speaker 7: Thrown him on in the last ten minutes.
Speaker 10: But at the same time, that's just where he is, no game minutes, recovering from an injury for what is it seven weeks now, Jacob Schaffelberg is your better option there, So maybe saving them for and I say them meaning him and moys bomb Beido for the knockout round now knowing that they were already through and in the lighted day the next day, as upset as I was, just because I felt there was such a good opportunity to continue to play in Vancouver and what it would mean to Canada and this city and of the team.
Speaker 7: I would have thought playing at home.
Speaker 10: You know, the actual draw and this is not a disrespect to South Africa, but playing a sixtieth ranked team in South Africa on neutral ground instead of Korea in front of sixty thousand Koreans in LA. They've got a good draw and in fact, it might even be better than the draw that they would have got if that had they won the group, because I think at some point Switzerland could have played Belgium and that's ill the possibility or a team like that. So we'll see how it all unfolds. But they've got a good path right now. So as disappointed as I was yesterday to not at least get the draw out, a game that you would.
Speaker 7: Have hoped Canada, as a host nation with a program on the up and up, would have gotten, you have to be realistic too. Four of their five best players are out injured, and it's just been one after the other. So I like the way that they responded having gone down a goal. I like the way that they pushed. I love the goal.
Speaker 10: I think it might be the goal of the tournaments are that Canada scored, and that endeavor and that desire to get the result late was promising, I think.
Speaker 4: But Paul, the difference of playing Sunday as opposed to you know, playing that home July second, is huge, and you just mentioned four or five guys hurt. It would have been nice to have that extra few days off.
Speaker 10: It would have rigged. But you know what, South Africa's in the same boat. In fact, South Africa has three hours least rest because they played last night after the Canada game. Both travel the same distance. La is an easy one from here. La is an easy one from where they played in Mexico and Monterey. So I just think that evens out. I think that obviously, if Canada had the extra week over a team that was coming in as a third place team into Vancouver, they would have had a bigger spread. I see what you're saying there, but I feel like the Canadian team, with the depth they've got, even without those top players, should be the favorite going into this game. And now, again like the Guitar game, there's a little bit of pressure on them, even though they've made this incredible stage to get to the knockouts. I feel that Canada goes in as a favorite and you would hope that they would win this game.
Speaker 4: Okay, what do you know about the South African team? Like that? You know from one I'm seeing, Oh, this is going to be easy. It's never easy. You know, we're on to the next round. What do you know about the South Africans?
Speaker 7: I didn't like.
Speaker 10: Them in the first game against Mexico, but you're at a stadio as Teca.
Speaker 7: You're playing a so called good Mexican team.
Speaker 10: Although I have to say that Mexico I thought really struggled in that game until they had the man advantage, But they came through that game, played the next game without a couple of key players, and then they beat Korea last night, and that's.
Speaker 7: A big result.
Speaker 10: I have to say that Koreas not look good and in hindsight, you wonder, oh, would Canada be better off playing Korea? Just the way they're playing right now, but they've got explosive forwards on the counter. If Canada is aggressive and wants to dominate the ball near the opponent penalty area, as I think they'll look to do, they could get caught out. And I didn't love the way that Canada defended and the open space is defensively yesterday, I really didn't like that second goal, didn't like the first goal. And in both cases it was our defense getting caught out by long balls forward that they just couldn't contend with.
Speaker 7: So that to me is the biggest danger from them.
Speaker 3: Okay, before I let you go, Paul, back to the Alfonso Davies situation, I think you know more about soccer than I do, and more than Rick as well. It's close, but I think you know, I think you know more. Is it a thing for a club like Byron Munich to get in the way of player usage by national teams? Does that happen?
Speaker 10: I think it does, Donnie, Honestly, I think it does sometimes more so during a regular season. They can have no effect in a World Cup. They've actually got someone from Barron Munich working with Alfonso Davies in Vancouver, so there is a link there. I trust that the Canadian team, knowing that they need him if he's at his peak and can give them a positive effect, will use him and have the right to do that, no matter what Barron Munich has to say about it. But I also feel that they won't use him until they think he will have that positive effect. And I think they're in close touch with that medical department on both sides of Canada and Bron Munich, and they will do the right thing.
Speaker 7: And a World Cup that won't be.
Speaker 4: Blocked above and beyond is always Paul, all right, thanks for this, appreciate it.
Speaker 7: We'll see you next time.
Speaker 4: You bet it.
Speaker 3: Paul Dolan, Donnie and Dolly World Cup soccer analysts. Of course, he was in goal for Canada at the nineteen eighty six World Cup and you know, just listening to that closely, it's clear that he agrees with the men and that he has no problem with Jesse Marsh using the decoy ploy when it comes to Alfonso.
Speaker 4: Davies is hurt. Keep sticking to that.
Speaker 3: Okay, Canada versus South Africa on Sunday down in Los Angeles at the World Cup and duly made the point there. Matchup wise, look it would be so special for them to have another match at BC plays. I'm not going to play another game in Canada no matter what happens. It would have been so special. But matchup wise, this might have worked out better for them because of the South African upset of South Korea. Why nothing down to La they go to play and they thought for sure they were going to play South South Korea. But it's going to be uh, South Africa. You don't want to get overly confident.
Speaker 4: You don't want to over confident. I mean South Africa's ranked sixtieth in the world. The Canada's ranked thirtieth. So there you go. Yeah, and it's not gonna be I.
Speaker 3: Think the key to victory on Sunday is to use Alfonso Davies as a decoy again and then everything should work out unlike a yesterday. Okay, let me do some business and then we'll throw to break on Friday. Our title sponsor so happy to have them. Aboard Able Auctions will sell industrial equipment including two Sandvik drill rigs, two John Deere three hundred and fifty g excavators, fifteen large moving trucks, lawn equipment, storage containers, large metal sheds, golf carts, many, They're all over the place here. Many excavators, work trucks and a lot more. Everything from drill rigs to prefabricated metal buildings, all sold to the highest bidder this Friday Friday could not get better this auction plus the NHL draft. I know Rick, you're excited about both first all on this industrial auction. Go to able auctions dot ca it to get your industrial equipment sold at auction. Email Sales Able Auctions dot CA. Sales at a b l E Auctions dot c A We'll update the wadling doog pull question next Don and telling the team.
Speaker 2: Check Dollie and Dollie. The team is supported by able Auctions dot CA. Closing your business we can help.
Speaker 3: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business.
Speaker 4: And sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories, or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 3: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email sales at able Auctions dot CA. Do's sales at a b l E Auctions dot CA.
Speaker 4: Bottling Dog poll question.
Speaker 3: The Ryan Johnson press conference, by the way, has ended as the Canucks look ahead to tomorrow's NHL entry draft, and we'll have more information from that press conference in a bit here. Meanwhile, experience one of Victoria's iconic destinations. We're talking the dog.
Speaker 4: Catch the World.
Speaker 3: Cup at the Dog with the Waddling Dog. With Canada game shown live and loud on all twenty two TVs with full sound. Come sit and stay at the Waddling Dog today. I'm sure they'll also be uh checking out the draft tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Oh big time. That's the place to be in Victoria, the Waddling Dog. Ryan, get it up the Waddling Dog pop poll question. It is concerning the Canucks. What is your reaction to Vancouver's late lack of trade activity so far this week? Look, the fifty three percent say glad, they're patient, forty seven percent say disappointed. Vancouver's got seven no moves dog, one of the high clubs in the National Hockey League with no moves. So Rutherford Nelvin left the Canucks not only in thirty second place, but they left them with seven no moves. Unless you're in that seat and trying to make a move. It's tough. It's very hard. These guys, these players are these excuses. Dono giving you the goods. These guys and agents, they work hard to get no moves. They got young families, they don't want to move, the families, all this stuff, it all plays into it, so it's not easy. Also, the last time I checked the Knucks, maybe Rick.
Speaker 3: Things change though the circumstances of the club hold on a set here, the circumstances change. People sign no move clauses when a team seems to be on the verge of doing really well and then things like last season happened and people change their mind.
Speaker 4: He's got to convince guys he hasn't gone to them because there's no trade that's made them happy. But if he does, there's a possibility. He goes to a guy with the no move and the guy says.
Speaker 3: No, of course, I want to say, I get that, but it's not like it's impossible, right, you've seen it before.
Speaker 4: JT. Miller.
Speaker 3: Okay, Meanwhile, you had some information about we talk a lot about well, we had Brandon Gallagher on the show just just moments ago about a veteran player who could help spark things for the Kannucks, be a leader in the room, that sort of thing.
Speaker 4: And another name is popped up. You talk about getting a guy that puts some buzz in the building, You talk about it all the time. It would not surprise me if the Canuck's that interest in Ryan Lomberg. Who could be a UFA if he hits it July first. He's not big, he's fast, he works incredibly hard, lots of energies, spark plug pest culture center, just won a Stanley Cup fan favorite everywhere he goes. So just you know, last two seasons in Calgary, last two seasons in Calgary. If he hits the market, that's a guy that the Canucks should take a look at. In terms of what you said, put some buzz in the building. Who's the last guy that puts some buzz in the building in Vancouver. It's it's been a while. Trampkin Nikia Trampkin, Yes, and then he left town because of the smell of the chief and chalk stuff. He didn't like it. He didn't like the chief and chalk stuff.
Speaker 3: Well that my first thought is, and this is they look also to play in the National Hockey is amazing and what a great athlete you have to be.
Speaker 4: All the respect in the world.
Speaker 3: But zadorof O, Yes, of course, buzz in the building of the right the Keta was.
Speaker 4: Great, especially in the playoffs. He held those oilers accountable on many nights. But a guy like a Triumpkan or zador Off, those guys were trees, those six four six, five sixty six. Lombering is not big, Gallagher's not big, but they bring that mentality of working hard and passed and all that. You know, they're just fun players to watch. They're thirty one years old.
Speaker 3: Ryan Lamberg, But I say earlier in the show, Ryan has got to be the number one name in the National Hockey League. Ryan, there are a million ryants right, there's one one right to the.
Speaker 4: Right of us.
Speaker 3: As a matter of fact, you've got some business and then some more connuct.
Speaker 4: News hold on a sick look at this. A new era is underway and RBC is proud to be the newest partner in Vancouver Canucks as we write this next chapter. Starting next season, RBC clients will get exclusive access to private entrances, in game, perks, and enhanced experiences at all home games, bringing you closer to the Canucks experiences you love the most. Stay tuned for more details ahead of the twenty twenty six twenty twenty seven home opener, proudly presented by RBC. Your ideas happened here at RBC.
Speaker 3: Connucks will be wearing the blue and gold RBC patch this Jerseys next season, much like the Montreal Canadians. So if Brendan Gallagher goes from Montreal to Vancouver, the patch on his uniform will state will stay the same. Okay, no one cares about that, Yeah, except Brick and I. Ryan Johnson press conference earlier today. It started at nine thirty. It's concluded as you would expect at Rodgers Arena, and they're looking ahead the reporters and Ryan Johnson to tomorrows or the start of the NHL Draft tomorrow in Buffalo. This is one quote.
Speaker 4: We don't have.
Speaker 3: Any video at this point, but one quote we have courtesy our friend Thomas Drantz. Will be on the show tomorrow from the Athletic and this is a one item we didn't get to Rick.
Speaker 4: So Ryan Johnson on whether the club may move up the board. There's been a lot of movement and a lot of about the board, about the board, so Ryan said, there's been a lot of movement, a lot of teams looking to move back. I think it would take a lot for me to move out of number three. We love being in that spot. And if it goes like this McKenna and then Stenberg, then the Canucks got to pick between Maholter and Red is the feeling, and if you're okay with father's son the combo, then then pick Maholter.
Speaker 3: And Ferraro is for people missed that interview.
Speaker 4: And if you're not okay with the if you have a problem with the father son combo and Vancouver, then you can take Chase Reid sixty three? What are you talking about? What do you mean?
Speaker 3: Wouldn't people have also a problem with drafting a talented American defenseman And look, nothing against somebody's nationality, but their recent trend is American players bolting Canadian teams, right.
Speaker 4: And Ryan did mention today that the Canucks have thought about that, you know, should we draft an American high The Canucks do have a high drafted American on their team, Ze Buoyam, who's up for a contract this summer, maybe seven or eight years, So there you go. Okay.
Speaker 3: Also, I should mention that the last I think I've got this right. The last time a team moved back in the first round significantly two thousand and eight, and that was We're going way back here, almost twenty years. Islanders traded number five overall to the Leafs for picks seven, sixty eight and an nine second rounder. And with that fifth pick, the Leaves took.
Speaker 4: Who they take, Luke Schen. Luke Chen who's thirty seven now and gonna be a ufa July first. Maybe he's somebody they bring in. They bring him in four insulate the young kids. I keep saying it, nobody listens.
Speaker 3: Well, they've brought him into Vancouver twice, so somebody's listening a third time. And by the way, the Islanders ended up I think trading that pick to Nashville at seven. Nashville pick Colin Wilson, and then the Islanders moved back again and took Josh Bailey at number nine. That's the last time I stand to be corrected. Here are great customers, will correct me if I'm wrong. Last time a team significantly moved back in the in the first round. It's been a long time. It doesn't always happen. We all remember ninety nine and the maneuvering Brian Burke did to get the sedines. So it does happen. Okay, you've got more business. Ryan doesn't want me to do this.
Speaker 4: We're going to do it, but let's do They're gonna go over his head. Yeah, even though he's the conductor, and we're gonna do this business. So the world has arrived in Vancrum. Is in a bad mood. I know he's in a bad mood. He's always in a bad mood. Pastime Sports has games you cover it. When it comes to jerseys, scarves, and other collectibles celebrating the beautiful game. There's never been a bigger time to show off your team colors. Led by Canada as a hoast country. You may also want to honor your favorites in Europe, South America, Asia or Africa. For more information at story locations, visit Pastime Sports Dotza.
Speaker 3: Canada, South Africa. Sunday in Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: Laptop front of the laptop World Cup hat, Christine Sinclair legendary card in the middle, over the show, Panini sticker cards on the far left, and Ken's telling me a reminder. They are moving quickly. But they've got those jerseys, they got the scarves, they got T shirts. Everything you need at the four locations for Pastime Sports Place and Online Pastime Sports dot Ya.
Speaker 3: Bayside Oceanfront Resort in Parksville in Box. No shortage of people who were upset that the Swiss were red yesterday, wanned as color Christal flag. The flags have the same color the Canadians with the white jerseys.
Speaker 4: So what's Canada wearing Sunday? I think they who picks it Ryan, FIFA or.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna guess the FIFA, because if i'm if I'm Canada, I guess in a way i am, I'm Canadian. But would you know I've wanted to wear the black, know the black uniforms again. Oh they did so well with them. No, I know they're not they're not as to me, they're not as nice as the Red ones or even even the white ones. But look what they did in them big win.
Speaker 4: There was a weak team to beat. Stop it the red Sunday. It's got to be red. It's got to be red.
Speaker 3: All right, Okay, We're good DTMC next Tony do have the team on Check three foot hot dogs, postgame fireworks, Friday noonters and the future Toronto Blue Jays right in your backyard. Catch a Vancouver Canadians game this summer as they celebrate seventy five years at nap Bailey Stadium. For tickets, promotions and more information, visit Canadians Baseball dot com or call six oh four eight, seven to two, five two, three to two.
Speaker 4: Today it's eleven thirty two on a Thursday morning. It is Donny and Dolly on Check TV. Now time for DTMZ, brought to you by the world famous Whistler Golf Club. Go see Big Al out there at Great Track. Great Track.
Speaker 3: The ETMZ, brought to you by the Arnold Palmer Design was the golf club where Phase three of their renovation underway. The golf course will reopen for play summer twenty twenty seven next year.
Speaker 4: For the latest updates.
Speaker 3: Follow them on Instagram at Whistler Golf and don't forget their pro shop and driving range are open during the summer. Maybe get some lessons from Big Al up their North American box office. This past weekend, Toy Story five, the fifth installment in that series, debuted at one hundred and sixty million dollars, easily setting a new franchise record and notching the biggest opening weekend of the year at theaters. Thirty one years after the original Toy Story, which didn't capture me, Toy Story five Forrester passed the previous series' best debut one hundred and twenty schmill for Toy Story four in twenty nineteen one hundred and fifty two million globally three hundred and twelve million overall. It's one of the most profitable franchises in Disney's history. Before Toy Story five launch, the movies had grossed more than three billion dollars, also pulling in billions from merchandising. Meanwhile, Disclosure Day Steven Spielberg second place, seventeen a million. That's a drop of sixty one percent. That's on Spielberg like third place after six weeks this obsession. I got to see it fourteen point two million dollars, but it costs like a million, less than a million to make. It's made three hundred and thirty three million. And again, my nephew, Jake Taylor, he told me, not only is it the best horror movie ever made, he thinks It's the best movie ever made, ever made. This is Dougie's son. Oh Dougie Sun Yeah, you know he can't be wrong.
Speaker 4: Dougie is a great I love Dougie.
Speaker 3: Birthdays twenty fifth.
Speaker 4: All right, you're good, Ryan Music. I can't do birthdays without music. Right there? And Birthdays brought to you by Donnie and Dallies, Backscratchers and Dental Flows Emporium ball Zach Alberta. All right, here we go. This guy was a seventh round pick in nineteen eighty two of the Blues. He won the Memorial Cup in nineteen eighty one, named the MVP in the OHL one hundred and seventy seven points. Are you kidding me? His brother, David was drafted by the Canucks in nineteen seventy. Remember of Calgary's Stanley Cup winning team in eighty nine won the Frank J. Selke Trophy. Gilmore, Oh, how'd you get that?
Speaker 3: I didn't realize he had a brother named David Gillmore.
Speaker 4: David Gilmore drafted. If you don't don't shake your head all of the said, lead guitarist for Pink Floyd. David Gilmore drafted by the Connucks in nineteen seventy his brother. He looked up to him. Don Jerry's favorite player of all time, one of the best seventh thront picks of the history of that from Kingston Right. Doug Gilmore, he played in Cornwall. I didn't say Cornwall, and that would have been the Cornwall team to play punch. I believe in the Memorial Cup.
Speaker 3: So always gosh, his brother had the stash.
Speaker 4: Hey, am I right? So you shook your head?
Speaker 3: You should know because I hadn't heard that. I didn't know he was his brother, but also lead guitarist Pink Floyd.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I get that. I know David Gilmore, do you I do? But that David Gilmore, the Gilmour spelled different. It's a different spelling of the name. Is an honor or, is it?
Speaker 1: No, it's the same.
Speaker 4: It's the same, okay, But anyways, Doug Gilmore's brother drafted by the Canucks in nineteen.
Speaker 3: S I learned something every day, every day, every day.
Speaker 4: Okay. This guy was a top ten pick for the Oiders in the twenty nineteen NHL draft right here, twenty nineteen top ten pick right here in Vancouver. After being drafted, he stayed in Sweden. He said, no, no, no, no, no no. I'm gonna stay there for my development. Played for Sweden at the World Juniors, and then twenty twenty one, played his first NHL game, got an assist due to a roster logjam, the Oilers win now mandate. He had a tough time getting nice time under j Woodcroft, the guy. You love Woodcroft, this Woodcrop that all the time. Then the Oilers ran into salary cap Eh Broberg, Oh how'd you get that? Wow? How did you not get.
Speaker 1: That salary cap? All that stuff off for sheet.
Speaker 3: I just think about how much I like Jay Woodcroft.
Speaker 4: You love him all.
Speaker 3: I kind of have a connection to Jay, very loosely to Woodcroft. Yeah, relative, No, a friend of a friend, A friend of a friend.
Speaker 4: Of a friend. Okay, let's move on here. This actor, this guy's good like he's one of my favorites. This actor and comedian has won five Golden Global Words, two Prime Time Emmys, hold On five Golden Globes, five Golden Globes, two Primetime Emmys. Half of the new wave pop Duociona Dancing. They were popular in the Philippines. I think that a top forty hit is he an actor or he's an actor and a comedian who started out in music. In twenty ten, he was included in Time Magazine's one hundred Most Influential People. Began stand up in the late nineteen nineties. He refused a reported four million for a single day of advertising, stating the money embarrassism. That's a two story. Google it if you don't believe me, I don't know who it is. Okay. His audio broadcasts were recognized in the Guiness World Records for becoming Guinas World Records, Guinness guin US. Okay, big do you always think? Okay? Stop Guinness Guinness World Records. Remember the show Guinness TV? It was? It was? There was a TV show againness Anyways, I remember the books too, the books and the TV show was great Alease believe it or not?
Speaker 3: Also a good book.
Speaker 4: Look bottom line. He had the most downloads on a podcast globally in two thousand and seven. He created the show Extras in two thousand and five, Ricky Gervay You got to be created The Office. Well, that was the big one, The Office ghost Town. When do you start with If I start with it, you're gonna get it. My job is to make your work for it, not handed you on his.
Speaker 3: Shoulder by starting it by saying, this is one of my favorites.
Speaker 4: I love Ricky Gervay. I just saw his last stand up on Netflix. It was great. Okay. This athlete drafted in both the NBA and Major League Baseball. Hey, Winfield, gotta stop it. He picked basketball and was a four year starter at Virginia Tech. Fifteenth overall picked by Utah in eighty six, picked up by Charlotte and the Expansion Draft. Ten years in Charlotte, came off the bench to provide instant offense. Great point shoot guy. He won the sixth Man of the Year award in nineteen ninety three. He was once Charlotte's all time statistical leader in points games played in three points.
Speaker 1: It's not Curry, is it?
Speaker 4: Yes? It is? Yeah, Del CURRYL Curry, Del Curry douna Raptors steps dad. He played three years, his last three years in Toronto. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think he's still a broadcaster in Charlotte. I think he was on there for a while.
Speaker 4: Yeah he was. You're right. You're right.
Speaker 3: Curry spent both I guess three years of.
Speaker 4: His childhood in Toronto.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're done. LaMelo ball traded today from the Hornets Minnesota.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yep. I heard that.
Speaker 3: It's in the Guinness Spooker Records.
Speaker 4: Oh stop, but it was a Floridian slip.
Speaker 3: George Michael oh born on this day in nineteen sixty three, and he and Andrew originally are going to play a May eighty four rick and the album Make It.
Speaker 4: Big, Make It Big. I had it. I had that album.
Speaker 3: This is Wham number one worldwide.
Speaker 4: Wake me up before you go go check.
Speaker 3: Pouring you a large glash of the nineteen eighties on a BC Thursday morning.
Speaker 9: The BC Construction Safety Alliance is a not for profit association that makes safety simpler by providing health and safety services and programs to more than fifty seven thousand construction employers and two hundred and twenty thousand workers across the province. We want to bring the BCCSA safety message directly to your job site. Book a free visit from the BCCSA Safety on Tour Mobile Trailer Safety on Tours instructor guides your workers through a series of dynamic safety demonstrations, from the effectiveness of fall arrest systems to the power of proper head protection. At Now to book a memorable Safety on Tour Experience at Safety on Time Word dot c A.
Speaker 4: Is it just me? I? Brought to you by O p e i C.
Speaker 3: Outdoor Power Equipment Institute of Canada. Did you know you can recycle electric lawn and garden equipment for free? O p e i C operates a province wide network of recycling depots to ensure old electric outdoor power equipment gets collected and recycled responsibly. Visit O p e i C dot ca A to get more info. That's O p e i C dot c A.
Speaker 4: Rick, all right, funny how Rick just mentioned Ryan Lomberg ran into him at the watch party at the Jackpool Plaza yesterday. He did mention how much he loves Vancouver as the city Michelle and so Surrey getting inside information on Ryan lumber He loves, he loves Vancouver.
Speaker 3: You're putting two and two together and two in Vancouver and here we are talking about him today possibly joining the Canucks. Is there something there? Go over come a little behind here?
Speaker 4: Okay, here we go. Chase Reed is now one hundred plus to go third overall the Vancouver NEMO. What does that mean? Is that a gambling thing? I'm not a gambler, give it to me a sorry plus one hundred? Ryan, what is plus one hundred? It's a betting thing. These guys, all these young kids, they bet. I bet you Neimo's young kid. I don't bet. But anyways, it looks like the odds, the odds are saying the Canucks are taking Chase Reed.
Speaker 3: The American defenseman mikel Vancouver is just me, but Brandon Gallagher a slam dunk to be brought to the Canucks. The first thing he said was the importance of character for a team during a rebuild, and he would bring that in space. It would be a really popular move. It would be a massive move because nobody's ever questioned his effort level and how he brings energy to a building.
Speaker 4: Great pro on and off the ice. He sets the template to practice, hardest working guy, first guy at the rink, last guy to leave the rink. Ending Gallagher is what you need for a dressing.
Speaker 3: Room, mitch On Gabriela, Is it just mirroor does Donnie look like he's drawing circles and lines in his notebook? What does this notebook look like at the end of the show. You've tweeted this out if you're not Ryan.
Speaker 1: At one point I tweeted out one of your rundowns.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm asticious doodler. Yeah, I spent most of my time in my life, not just on the show doodling.
Speaker 4: It's all I do. You and I both we doodle all the time during the show. What do you got? Doodling is good? I learned from you back in ten forty I watched you.
Speaker 3: If you want to learn about doodling, this is the show to watch.
Speaker 4: Not much else, no buzz like Heatl's first game Pablo Burray esque. So you're still getting the HEATL first game stuff big time.
Speaker 3: I'll stand by it. And there was I think one or two people over the last couple of years who have backed me up out of five thousand.
Speaker 4: Is it just me? Year after year after year after year.
Speaker 3: Caducks have never drafted first to overall, free agency or trades. Nothing huge ever happens fifty six years in the league, and we as fans can never get excited and look forward to anything pathetic that is unsigned. I'm going to disagree with him on free agency. Some pretty big things have happened, not all of them have worked out.
Speaker 4: Louis Rickson Louis Erickson was not a good signing. It was not a good signing. It was one of the bigger duds on July first.
Speaker 3: But you know what, it seems like nothing now when you look at some of the sellaries that are being thrown around. Alex tuckby the latest.
Speaker 4: Every team's got a back contract. Kids today have no idea how easy it is to get info. In the seventies, as a kid, I had to phone chn L and kabloops every evening to get the expos score Graldo. That's a great point. We didn't have in the seventies and eighties. All these kids laptops. It's just ridiculous, way better. Every time I see a kid on a cell phone or a laptop, I want to, you know, I want to. I want to scream, you're always on your cell phone. I only use the cell phone to text agents. That's it. It is better now, that's it.
Speaker 3: But for some bizarre reason, I miss the way it used to be, like getting the stats every Tuesday in the National Hockey because the time you got the whole package, it.
Speaker 4: Was a simpler way better Now simple, No, it's not better now. I know you're right, exactly different. They're taking the humanization away from humans. Now, you could fire people on Twitter. What what are you laughing at? Humans are still humans? Hold in a second. You can on your phone more than I'm on my phone for work. Okay, that's it. But you can fire people on your cell phone. You can break up with someone on the cell phone. They're taking away human interactions and that's bad. You think it's good breaking up with someone versus face to face.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I'm not going to get into any details there, Bobby from Poco, is it just me? I agree with Rick and I guess Ryan. Regarding Alfonso Davies. You don't say he will play if you know he wouldn't dress, well, he did dress. Literally, an entire country was waiting for the seventieth minute to see Phonsie come in and tie the game. Jesse Marsh let the country down in this incident. All due respect to Bobby, who's a regular contributor to our show.
Speaker 4: Bobby's a good guy. He's a good guy. I'm sure.
Speaker 3: I'm sure he is. But I mean, I just don't know what the mystery is. Alfonso Davies is injured, Okay, Oh he's so, he's in and so Jesse Marsh gave the decoy strategy a shot. It didn't work out. I mean, was he supposed to play?
Speaker 4: Is he interest? Is he going to player or not? There's no clarity. I'm sorry about twenty four people on the roster last night. They dressed so it's okay. I mean it's not okay. They lost and you'd love him to play, but he's I don't know what the mystery is. He's hurt to trade with Montreal being the works for Gallagher and a pick or two for debrsk RP and White Rock. I think Montreal and Vancouver are talking. Debrask Gallagher's names come up. I wonder if Peterson's names come up with Montreal as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, okay, we're good a break. We'll wrap up the show the pull question. Next, Tony tell you the team on check. Remember that dead electric leaf blower in the garage, still hoping it'll come back to life.
Speaker 4: Ope? I see is PC's recycling program for battery powered and electric outdoor power equipment.
Speaker 3: Just like other electronics, electric lawn and garden equipment can also be recycled when it reaches the end of its useful life.
Speaker 4: All the electric yard tools don't have to end up in the landfill. If you're electric outdoor power equipment can't be fixed, it could be recycled.
Speaker 3: Whether it's a leaf blower, trimmer, or lawnmower, many can be recycled for free in BC. Visit opeic dot Ca to find a depot near you and recycle responsibly.
Speaker 4: That's ope I se dot CA. A new era is underway and RBC is proud to be the newest partner of your Vancouver Canucks, says we write this next chapter. Starting next season, RBC clients they will get exclusive access to private entrances, in game perks, and enhanced experiences at all home games, bringing you closer to the Canucks experiences you love the most. Stay tuned for more details. Out of the twenty twenty six twenty twenty seven home opener, proudly presented by RBC, Your ideas happened here at RBC Doc Pole Rick Ryan get her Up the Waddling Dog Up poll question, what is your reaction to the Canucks lack of trade activity as so far this week? Look at this. Fifty three percent say glad their patient bought, forty seven percent say disappointed. They want some shaking and baking, some deals done.
Speaker 3: And one piece of news out of the pre draft media. A vail with Ryan Johnson today the coaching staff for Manny Mahultra and the Abbots for coaching staff Ryan Johnson saying something to the effective within a week, within the next few.
Speaker 4: Days, we're gonna hear something. Yeah, because the development camps next week in Abbitsbord, A lot of the young kids are coming from the draft and you want the coaches set for those kids. That's a big reason.
Speaker 3: Why do you have pictures? Photos?
Speaker 4: Information? What do you got Ryan? Where we're going?
Speaker 1: We got a photo here. I think it's a birthday shout out.
Speaker 4: Uh no, but it's a picture. Longtime listener and Canuck fan Doug Vitt from Burnaby celebrates the sixtieth birthday. The photo is Doug wearing his Donnie and Dolly hat at the Woodland Park Zoo with his granddaughter Rena. Look at that, So you tell us where the Woodland Uh? Because I've heard you mentioned the zoo is you have gone? No? I have'm't gone.
Speaker 3: No, it's just before you get to Seattle. You take it right, you've been there yet?
Speaker 4: Rhyme? No?
Speaker 3: Because yeah, it's it's it's it's really. I mean again, it's a zoo and you're gonna see things there that you just won't see in our country. They have everything, giraffes, bears, lions.
Speaker 4: You name it.
Speaker 3: We've got breathing live it's it's. Uh, it's kind of strange because is it big, Like well, it's tucked into a neighborhood. But yeah, it's it's big. I remember going down there twice in two weeks with.
Speaker 1: The kids, the Greater Vancouver Zoo. We've been going there a lot, Yeah, one and all do a little running around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna say this, with all due respect, I'm not so sure it's in the league. Are they a sponsor by chance? In the league of Woodland Park Zoo. But it's different content down there. We go to the zoo and Max likes the jungle, the kids like.
Speaker 4: All the group. It's a nice sue. It's a nice kids would like it.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 3: Nothing else have we done?
Speaker 4: Is the show over? Why do you hear music? No? Okay, he does been out for the show. Okay, let me get this something Troy Surrey piece. Whatever salary the Canucks might have Ty Sorry, p Seri Troy. Whatever salary the Canucks might have to eat to move on PD is a small price to pay to eliminate any potential culture killing indifference. So I don't think p. Suri Troy is a big fan of eleven point six. Here you go. Okay, that's it.
Speaker 3: Draft dat tomorrow. Connek's picking third overall last time I checked. Any Anyway, we'll talk about it a whole lot during tomorrow show.
Speaker 4: Thanks so much for watching, folks.
Speaker 3: On behalf of Ryan, Derek Rick, everybody here at Oh Boy and Check. I'm Donnie.
Speaker 4: You're up to dat in the world of sports.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly podcast. Be sure to follow us on Twitter at Donnie and Dolly for all the latest show content.