Speaker 1: You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: SAMPI AM six forty live Screaming and HD everywhere on the iHeartRadio app Dean Sharp The House Whisper Live every Saturday and Sunday morning.
Speaker 3: Hey, follow us on social media? Do you know? We only do the good kind of social media, the uplifting, informative and inspiring kind. On Instagram, TikTok, Facebook x, all of it at Home with Dean, Home with Dean, same handle, all across the board. And of course this very program is also the House Whisper podcast that you can listen to anytime, anywhere on demand, hundreds of episodes, all searchable by topic your Home Improvement reference Library. All right, I got one piece of very important business to get out of the way here. That is this. You know what's happening a week from tomorrow. A week from tomorrow, not tomorrow Sunday, but next Sunday, Sunday, November twenty fourth. It's the House Whisper Holiday Home Show, a live audience event that we're hosting right at the helpful Honda Lounge at iHeart Studios in Burbank. And you are invited. So this is the final weekend. This is the final weekend to enter to win a seat at that show. Critical that you get off the stick. Get on the stick, get on the get off the can, get on I don't even okay whatever, get off whatever you're on, and get on to this. This is the this is the weekend. You've got to get that done this weekend to enter to win a seat at the show. And you do it simply by going to our Facebook or Instagram page and you will find pinned right at the top of our stream the Holiday Home Show post, and all you have to do is leave a comment saying I'd like to be on the show, and you're entered. Boom, You're good. You're good to go. Okay. Also, Tina wanted me to let everybody know who has already entered that we've already begun notifying individuals and you should check your messages on Facebook and Instagram because if we have notified you that you have by randomly been selected to win a seat, you only have until the end of the Monday morning, first thing Monday morning, so you only have to the end of Sunday to notify us and confirm it. Otherwise we're gonna give that seat to somebody else. So check your messages on Facebook and Instagram and if you haven't entered, you still have time. And so there you go. Home with Dean on Facebook and Instagram. It's going to be a great show, going to be a great show. Got some KFI friends popping by. It's always a great time just to spending time with our live studio audience. And somebody, somebody there is going to win a seven and a half foot tall incomparably beautiful, fully decorated Christmas tree from Al Dick Home, who is our sponsor for the show. It's going to be a great time. So home with Dean, get it done, Get it done, all right, let's we got time for a call, of course we do. Let's go to the phones. Anna welcome home.
Speaker 4: Yes, oh, good morning, Dean, thank you for taking my call. I have a reset plug in one of my bathrooms and I noticed the night light wasn't working, and and checking out the plug, it has a red light flashing. And also I couldn't I couldn't push any of the tests or the reset but on that plug. So what's going on with that? I? You know, I did go to the electrical box, and I thought, well, maybe I'll just switch that plug back and forth and maybe that'll cure or whatever's going on. But it didn't.
Speaker 3: Okay, Anna, you are so smart about this, you're so well informed about this, all right. So it's a GFI or that's my abbreviation, that's what we use in the industry. It's a GFCI. It's a ground fault interrupt circuit breaker. Those plugs, right, that's where they have little buttons on them. They're there. They're required by code to be in bathrooms and kitchens and anywhere that we've got electrical anywhere in close proximity to sources of water or liquid. And unlike a breaker at the panel, breakers at the panel they pop when there's some kind of you know, short circuit in the house. But breakers pop at a much higher voltage voltage level than GFI plugs, And the breakers at the panel not really designed to save anybody's life from electrocution. They're designed to save the house from catching on fire, okay. And that's why a more sensitive breaker is required in the plug itself, and that's the GFI outlet, and that's why it has the little test and reset button on it, right, so you can test one. It'll pop, the red light comes on, you press the reset button and you'll hear it click and the green light comes back on and you're good to go. Okay. In your case, you went and tried the breaker, that would be one of my pieces of advice if you hadn't done it. But it's not. It's just that the red light is on. But the red light is flashing correct, Yes, yes, okay, so Anna, that simply means this that that that receptacle is done. They do wear out even if you don't reset them. A lot there's a mechanism inside. Not a lot of people realize this, but but GFI plugs will eventually wear out. And so when a red light is flashing on the plug, there's something wrong with it. And if you can't reset it, then that's sure is shooting. It is time to replace that plug. It's not the house, it's not the breaker, and there's no major problem. It just means that that little plug needs to be replaced.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, And it's just the simplest thing to do.
Speaker 3: It is it is rare. I mean, if you're handy, If you're handy, then you just go through the property. You know, First of all, you make sure that the breaker is off so that there's no energy coming through those wires whatsoever. And then you got the new plug, you got the old plug, You pull the old plug out. I love to tell people to take a picture with their phones of where the wires are attached to the existing plug before you undo it all, so you don't lose track of which side goes where. Take a picture both sides. You undo the two wires that are going into it, put those into the new plug, put it back in the wall. You're good to go.
Speaker 4: Okay, Now, apparently that bathroom connects also to a second bathroom, so I have an issue with the plugs in that second bathroom. So is there anything else that needs to be done?
Speaker 3: Probably not, Yeah, probably not. If you've got two bathrooms close to each other, or back to back with each other, something like that. Quite often that circuit gets run and it's one GFI controlling all the plugs everywhere. So if you got a bad one, then everything else is down temporarily. Once you fix that plug by replacing it, everything else should pop back on. You should be good to go. Anna, Thank you so much for your call, and thanks for listening to the show. And you know, if you don't want to handle it yourself, that's a quick handyman or electrical thing for an electrician to do. But you know, handy people can get in there. Just got to make sure the powers off. That's all I'm saying. That's the only worry that you've got to make sure the power is off and take your time with it. All right, y'all, more of your calls when we return your home with Dean Sharp the House Whisper. Say fine, Dean Sharp, the house Whisper at your service. Thanks for joining us on the program. We are taking calls. I want to go back to the phone. Let's talk to Lindy. Hey, Lindy, welcome home.
Speaker 5: Good thank you, Good morning, Dean. I've been listening to your show since it aired first day, the Story of your Home, and you're awesome.
Speaker 3: Oh I'm sorry. I'm sorry you've had to be listening that long. I've gotten a little better, I hope as.
Speaker 4: We go on.
Speaker 5: No, you're great, You're great. I have a basic, boring based house and I want to paint my bedroom and I don't know how to pick color or how many walls to do. If all, I just don't have any idea.
Speaker 3: Okay, well what color do you like?
Speaker 5: Well? I like the rose colors, and I think that's where I want to go.
Speaker 3: All right, So you're so, you're in the family, you already you already know kind of where you're leaning when when we walk into your bedroom. Okay, there are two perspectives here. This can be for you when you're in bed, or it can be for you as a presentation for your bedroom. So the reason I'm saying that is because I'm well, you've listened to the show for years now, you know that I'm not a fan of taking a a bold, exciting color and just wrapping it on all the walls in a room, because all of a sudden you're living, you know, in a rose cave, and that's not fun for anybody. Okay, So the question is feature wall. And feature walls are fantastic, right because they stand in contrast to the other walls. They draw attention to themselves. They're beautiful, they're a lot, but they're not too much. And so the typical way that we would do a feature wall would be presentationally is take a look at what are we looking at when we walk in the door to the bedroom, and where do we want to look now? Usually the bed is the star of the bedroom. And this is why more often than not, maybe eight times out of ten, maybe nine times out of ten, the feature wall is behind the bed. It's the bed and the headboard, and then there's the feature wall color framing the bed that the bed is anchor in. This your favorite color for this room, and then the rest of the walls are just doing what they're doing, playing a supporting role. Sometimes a client will say, oh, well, but you know, when I'm in my bed, I want to see that color. And so we're like, all right, well, then what's the wall that we're looking at when we're in bed, And then we consider whether that's the feature wall, But nine times out of ten it is. It's usually about no, I just want to walk in. I don't care what colors I'm looking at once I'm in bed. I want to walk into my room and I just wanted to just really kind of shine. And so this is probably a situation where we're going to pick your favorite color of a rose, and we're going to treat the wall that is behind the bed.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, that yeah, that sounds perfect.
Speaker 3: And then then what that does is it gives you an opportunity. The opportunity is then okay, once this row is on the wall, and we can do this from either direction. What I'm about to say. Once the rose is on the wall, then accessories like you know, bedspreads or throw pillows on the bed can be in the same tone. They can be corresponding to that rose. Now not everything. I don't want the whole bed rose on rows and rows and rows because then again, now we're getting back to the whole thing. There's too much of it. But if we've got the bed with you know, a a well, I'll give our bedroom as an example. Tina's got it set up where we've got this big, this this deep blue on the wall behind our bed, and then our our comforter and main pillows are something else, kind of what would you call it, like a silvery beige and pattern. There's like a flooral that, but the the accent pillows are boom that blue. The accent pillars are corresponding with the wall, and the whole thing is just lovely. And I walk into my bedroom and I just I look up from my busyness and I think, oh, I like this, and uh, and that's what you're after on.
Speaker 5: Oh good, thank you. Now I'm want to head out to Benjamin Moore.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Oh and by the way, let me just remind you and everybody else, when you're doing paint colors, uh, go the go to the store, look at the swatches, and you know, buy three or four samples in different tones that you think might be a winner. But get them home and spread those out as large as possible on the wall in question. Because the reason why people you know, they'll they'll get a little color chip and they'll think, oh, that's the right one, and then they buy two gallons of paint and they come home and they paint it on the wall and they're like, it doesn't look the same. What is wrong with them? There's nothing wrong with them. There's nothing wrong with the paint. Paint changes. Color. Color is a is a movable, flexible thing, and so it isn't just about oh, this color looks great in the store. It has to be the right color for the light in that room, on that wall, at that location. That's when you know you've got the right color. And the only way that you know is to spread those samples out large swatches on the wall because the more of the paint there is, the color changes as well. So big big sample swatches on the wall, on the wall in question, so you can make the best decision.
Speaker 5: Excellent. Thank you. And just as an aside, you sounded as if you had been on the show forever on your very first day, So just to say you are awesome.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you, Lindy. Thank you so much. Kind Pete. Why are people so nice? All right, Lindy, Lindy should come to the Holiday show. Lindy, you should sign up to come to the Holiday show. You just should. Okay, So go to our website, Instagram, Facebook, Home with Dean, find the holiday post and say hey, it's me Lindy. You should all right, y'all?
Speaker 5: Am?
Speaker 3: I running late, yeah, because because you know, a caller was complimenting me, so I had to take the time to feel good.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI AM six forty, can.
Speaker 3: If I AM six forty live streaming in HD everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. You are Home with Dean Sharp the house whisper thanks for joining us on the program. We are taking some calls right now. I went long in the last segment, so this one's gonna be a little shorter, but we got time for one here. Let's dive in and talk to Vince. Hey, Vince, welcome home.
Speaker 6: Hey good yeah, yeah, y'all do it.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 6: I got three six inch tam lights in my kitchen. The one over the kitchen sak where it's just fine. A couple of weeks ago, the furthest one just burned out, and then the one in the middle kind of comes on a little bit. Is that full power, and then shuts off after a couple hours. And then I turn off all the lights for five or six hours, come home, turn them back on. The middle one works fine the kitchen lay orgs, but the other one wouldn't work. So I finally got enough money to go buy some six inch replacements. I go and I put it in and it's got that you know, a little orange clip slide in, the orange clip turned back on. The power was on for five seconds before it went pop and skin of the electrical smell brought it back because I thought it was a defective unit. Got another one, came home, same thing.
Speaker 3: What the heck? What the heck's going on there?
Speaker 6: All right, I got pretty screwed over by this house.
Speaker 3: But the wiring to these cans, this is you know, you know that you've got the right voltage. We're not running to twenty to these things, right.
Speaker 6: It's eats exactly exactly. Yeah, everything's good. Everybody's coming out one because the other one's working. They're all in the same circuit. The thing is is all the wall outlets and all the lights are on the same fues. It's a sixty m box and then there's like four or five things like the fridge, the stove, and they have a separate circuit. And that's about it.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, well that shouldn't be. I mean, if we're overloading the breaker, then the breaker will pop. So I'm not really concerned that they're on the same circuit. I'm concerned that something's going on with the recessed can housing itself. There are various housings out there, and sometimes when people are buying them, like at a big box store or whatever, sometimes you don't notice me. Maybe you got a low voltage a transformer version or something, and then high voltage is blowing it out. So do you know the brand of the housing, and are you using that brand appropriate trim in other words, the little led you know, the plug in because sometimes you can't cross brands with those either because of the nature of voltage that's going into them.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, I bought the house in twenty one and never had any issues with them. I mean when I pulled them out, it's all Slovenia. But the Sylvania replacements are like one hundred and eighty bucks per late, so I went with the twenty five dollars option, and yeah, maybe that is the issue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it doesn't. That's not to say that that you act absolutely have to get the Sylvania, but you got to check the specs on the Sylvania to make sure whatever those specs are, to make sure that whatever you're plugging in there is up with the same specifications. Otherwise, if you're putting essentially what is a low voltage fixture into a high voltage output, then yeah, you're gonna blow them. They're just gonna blow. And it sounds like that's what happened.
Speaker 6: Actually, well that sounds bigger than the one I was freaking about because I thought I had a mice issue somewhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I mean, if you if you had a short, then the breaker would be popping and everything would just be going off. You're plugging in a trim into the existing housing and the trim is blowing, and that's because something is wrong with the matchup, the mating of the housing, what the housing wants and what it's giving to the trim. They're not aligning with each other, and as a result, it's blowing out there, Vince. So check the specs. If you open up and look on the inside of the housing itself without the trim in there, you should find a model number or some of the specifications. Take your phone, take picture of it, write it all down and make sure and then you could you could even go to the Sylvania website and find it, but write it all down and then take that information with you when you go to shop for the trims, whatever that case may be. Make sure that they're mating up properly. Just because the plugs were the plug adapter is a universal adapter. It's not a guarantee that every trim works with every kind of can in a voltage capacity. All right, Vince, thanks for the call, buddy, I appreciate it. When we return. More of it was this way when we bought it. Troubles with your house that you inherited from the previous owner, We're gonna fix them. Your home with Dean Sharp, The House Whisper, Damn I Dean Sharp, The House Whisper, Welcome Home. We are wrapping up Part two. There's gonna be a part three to it was this way when we bought it. We're gonna do part three and wrap up the whole three part series tomorrow on the Big Show from nine to noon. You're not going to want to miss it. Also, I want to remind you it's not too late right now to enter to win a seat at the House Whisper Holiday Home Show, which is happening next Sunday, not tomorrow, but next Sunday, November twenty fourth, right here at the iHeart Studios in Burbank. It's going to be a blast and you're going to want to be here. All you have to do is go to our Instagram and or Facebook and find the Holiday Home Show post and just leave a comment say hey, I want to join. I want to be there, and that enters you to win. It's not a guarantee, but it enters you to win. And we've already sent out a begun sending out notifications, So if you have previously entered, check your messages to make sure, because you only have until the end of the day Sunday to notify us that you want that seat. Otherwise we're going to give it to somebody else who wants it more. So just check it all out at Home with Dean on Facebook and Instagram. We would love to have you at the show. All right, just a couple of more minutes here, I'm going to talk about one thing that I was going to discuss concrete. I'm going to leave concrete hardscape for tomorrow. But here is a simple thing that everybody needs to know about. One of the ways that you are not stuck with the weirdness of let's say the front yard or the rear yard landscaping is to realize that you don't have to obey the old brick planter beds. You don't, Okay. One of the hardest things as a homeowner is to realize and really understand what is permanent and really tough to change about your home and what just looks permanent. Just because something has been sitting there for sixty years does not mean it's hard to change. It just means that everybody has accepted it for all of this time. And little brick planter beds are one of those things that we see all the time. Now, do I have anything against a little brick planter bed.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: Sometimes they're lovely and they're quaint, and they work just perfectly with the vibe that you want to produce in your front or backyard. However, more often than not, especially an older little brick planter bed, the brick is starting to break. Maybe a tree root is underneath it, maybe it has uplifted it, maybe it's falling apart, or maybe just maybe it's in a weird location that made sense to a time and an era fifty sixty seventy years ago when the house was built. But isn't the vibe that you want for your house. But you've been dealing with it ever since as if somehow that's the only place that you can plant things. And outside of it it has to be lawn because there's the brick planter bed. How are you gonna deal with it? Here's how you deal with it. You take it out. Little brick planter beds are just a little stack of bricks sitting on a relatively small and easy to negotiate. A bit of concrete that is down underneath the earth, and I'll just put it to you this way, a breaker bar and you know, sometimes a little jackhammer or a sledgehammer in most cases, right, in most cases, those things can be out of there in a couple of three hours before the end of the day if you really got serious about it, honestly, honestly speaking, and if there's some really really tough concrete down below the surface, leave it.
Speaker 6: Leave it.
Speaker 3: It's down below the surface. Who cares there's a roll of concrete down there. Just knock the bricks off. Free yourself of other people's lines that they have drawn onto your yard front and back as well. Just free yourself, free yourself from the rules. You do not have to obey what the previous owners have done in drawing the lines across your yard. And uh And I find that to be some of the most freeing advice for people, because they're like, oh, because I really really wanted to do this or that, or I really hate that brick planter, But doesn't it have to stay, because isn't it doing No, it's not doing anything. It's just defining a space. So take it away, take it away, clear the slate, clear the boards, and reim age in your yard the way you want it to be. And there you go. You do not have to weep or apologize that your yard was this way when we bought it. All right, I've got so much more. You know what, I think we'll start. You can hold me to this. I think we're going to start tomorrow's show, part three of this with another subject that is kind of falls into the same category designed by demolition, which is the best kind of thing you can do. I want to deal with too much concrete, hard space, heartscape around your home. We'll do that when we rejoin you tomorrow nine to noon, last day to enter the Holiday home show. And until then, you know what, there's a gorgeous day outside. Go out, enjoy this cool weather and get busy building yourself a beautiful life. We'll see tomorrow. This has been Home with Dean Sharp, the House Whisper. Tune into the live broadcast on KFI A M six forty every Saturday morning from six to eight Pacific time, and every Sunday morning from nine to noon Pacific time, or any time on demand on the iHeartRadio app.