Speaker 1: Imagine the place where you can escape for a day, get immersed in a world of rooms, inspiration, and expertise, where you can lay in luxury accommodation, and kids can Fees from ninety five sets. Tickets are free to everyone and include all the attractions you've just imagined a day out at the kia Ikia the Wonderful every Day.
Speaker 2: Hi, iologize, Hi Ali Ward here it's me so first off, I want to apologize to the many thousands of you who think that this episode is about gelato, because it's just straight up not. It's not about gelato at all. Jelottos in Greek means laughter, jelare in Latin means to freeze or congeal, two different things in origins. But that doesn't mean that you can't eat gelato while you're listening. I can't see you, you can not on a ham. You can lick your tile grout listening to this. It doesn't mean I'm just glad you're here. Hey, Okay, let's get creepy first, shall we. Your reviews help ologies stay up kicking ass in the science charts, and I appreciate them so much. It's so great to look at the science charts and see ologies up there in like the top twenty five. Just little us making this podcast guys. Also, I frequently write and research all alone wearing no pants, and your reviews make my day. I read every single one each week. I like to read you one that just tickled me. More on tickling later. God's getting creepier and creepier every second, so I get others drunk. Okay, says thank you Ali Ward for showing the world that these usually academic nerds are fun, funny, interesting besides smart. This show makes me wish I was anologist so that Ali would ask me dumb questions. Hey, Ali, if you ever need to chat with a distiller, I will happily meet you in the lobby of an airport hotel. Actually, I think that there are some ologies related to distillery, So holler, so rate and review. I see all of your names, and I think, hey, thanks name. So spread the word. You can tell a friend or two about the show. You can become a patron on Patreon. You can hit up ologiesmerch dot com if you ever want to wear a logical love on your human body. So onto the episode. Now. Gelatology was a huge factor in my developing an obsession with ologies. I remember seeing it on this big list of like various different fields of study. It was wedged between, like, guess strology, which is the stomach, and I think gemology, which was episode five goll Lissen and y'all. But I saw the study of laughter and I was like, who does that? Who are these people? What are their lives? Who are they? So I started researching and reaching out for people to interview. And last year I started looking and this ologist was at the top of my list, and I got in touch with the university. I explained that this was a podcast, it didn't exist yet it would and I promise I'm not a terrorist or anything, and could I come and meet him? And after a year of email tag a year, you guys, a year, I was in my car on my way to Loma Linda, California, which is a dusty academic town in the Inland Empire, and I was ushered to a basement lab for an interview. Now, shockingly and hilariously, this Jellatologist may be one of the most serious subjects I've ever sat down with, which I love. I know this is an episode about humor, but it gets intense and kind of dark, but also inspiring. This is like not a party clown in a lab coat. He is not the Michael Scott equivalent of your family physician. His ologist is all business. In his words, he says he's the guy who's serious about laughter, and he is. It's wonderful. In the last three episodes of Ologies, we heard from a herpetologist who was telling me all about snake butts and an ichthyologist who was musing about fish getting it on, and they were both hilarious. And then this episode about laughter is one of the more factual ones, which is great. This chat was surprising in a lot of ways. He's an immunologist, a psychologist, and because his life's work is about how laughter affects the endocrine and immune system, he is a gelatologist. Now, in this episode, you'll learn why things are funnier in a packed theater, how a joke works broadly, why stress is maybe literally killing you, nobing deal, and some interesting science behind roast jokes. So, in the doc's words, make time to get off your work, mery, garround for a bit and gorge on some gelatology with doctor Lee Burke. I'll get some levels on.
Speaker 3: You on two, three, four five.
Speaker 2: How long have you been at this university?
Speaker 3: I started in nineteen seventy one. Here, yes, nineteen seventy one.
Speaker 2: Forty seven years, you guys, forty seven years. He started in laboratory medicine and immunology. He was working on transplants for infants. And he holds degrees in psychology, sociology, clinical laboratory science, Masters, and a PhD in clinical preventative care. So the things you can do to stop I'm getting stick in the first place, other than just washing your hands obsessively.
Speaker 3: But to be involved in psychoneuroimmunology, you have to be very eclectic.
Speaker 2: So how many degrees do you have? I'll give you a minute. Five five degrees?
Speaker 3: Five degrees. So I started in psychology. I was going to go into clinical psych and I decided, nah, it doesn't have all the answers because there's more to wellness or staying well, which was my passion, than just the psychological theoretical component. So that's why I decided to step into the heavier sciences, if you please.
Speaker 2: And now, in nineteen seventy one, I imagine that science didn't necessarily look at the mind and the body as super connected or did they.
Speaker 3: No, there was no real appreciation for mind body connection in late sixties or early seventies, and when it came to light, the medical community didn't know what to do with this bizarre thing of a connection between mind and body. You have to remember the historical context of the separation had to do with four hundred and fifty years or so ago with de car and that there was a split when there was interest of integrating mind and spirit into medicine. There was great chastisement that don't you ever attempt to do that?
Speaker 2: So who was de Karte? I'm sorry, I'm glad you asked me to ask Google because I could not remember. I had no idea. So French born and Dutch lived mathematician and philosopher. He wrote about something called dualism, which is the mind and body being separate, made of separate types of matter. You know, the mental can exist outside of the body, but the body cannot think. So this philosophy kind of jives with a lot of religions that claim that immortal souls occupy this independent realm of existence, distinct from the rest of the physical world. Nowadays, we're like not so much but this whole situation gloriously has a Wikipedia page called the mind body problem, which sounds very dramatic and or like it would have something to do with the mind wanting to eat peanut butter pancakes, but the body is like, could you not.
Speaker 3: So the separation of dualism took place. Back then we had medicine dealings with the somatic or the body, and at that time they all powerful entity was the Church, which dealt with the mind and the spirit. So medicine was told to keep its hands off and stay with the body and the mind and the spirit would stay with whatever they meant by mind at that time would stay with the venue of the church. And not until probably the mid nineteen hundreds did we start to reintroduce the fact that there was a component that medicine wasn't dealing with, and that was what do we do the mind? Because the patient that got sick and had mental illness, as most of us remember, was thrown in the room and the door was locked, and we called them messana asylum, and we had it was not part of the venue of medicine of knowing what to do with patients either in helping to keep them well, or in trying to treat them relative to the aspect of the mind.
Speaker 2: How did you get interested in studying humor and its effects on the brain, because there's not many people out there doing that.
Speaker 3: I feel like, yeah, a great question. How did I get started with looking at humor? I was always intrigued with the ancient wisdom, of the ancient biblical wisdom actually of mary heart does good like a medicine in the Old Testament of the Bible.
Speaker 2: So when doctor Burke said mary heart, I thought he was talking about either very heart from entertainment tonight or like biblical Mary. I was all confused. So I looked it up and it's Mary as in cheerful, which makes way more sense. The whole quote is a mary heart does good like medicine, but a broken spirit dries the bones. Honestly, I'm now realizing that for centuries when old timey people needed to pick me up, like you know, all of your seven children just perished of dip theirry or whatever. You crack open the Bible instead of looking on Instagram for those lifestyle accounts that sometimes post inspirational quotes by Beyonce. So whatever gets you pumped, man, The.
Speaker 3: Statement of a merry heart does good like a medicine, but a broken spirit will drise the bone. Nothing could be more modern in interpretation of the field of psycho neeuroimmunology than that that statement that I was intrigued with the positive aspect, knowing that there was this communication between brain, neuroandercin hormones and the immune system. What was going on relative to positive behaviors of keeping one well, of staying away from disease? So I got really interested from those perspectives.
Speaker 2: What is a laugh? What is happening in the brain and the body?
Speaker 3: A laugh is the physical expression of something that triggers the brain to say that this is really funny enough to provide some sort of overt expulsion of air.
Speaker 2: I laughed. Why did I just laugh? Maybe because I didn't expect such a technical answer. But what happened physically to my face and my lungs? So a researcher named Robert Provine found that fifteen muscles in your face contract, and your respiratory system gets jacked up by your epiglottis, which is that throat flappy thing half closing your air passage. So your air intake occurs irregularly and it makes you gasp. But not everyone who enjoys humor l'sl or.
Speaker 3: In some cases, with some individuals, not an expulsion of air or a laugh or a sound that one hears from the other person. We found the latter out to be true when we were doing some early pilot studies and one of our subjects was he happened to be pathologist, not targeting pathologist, but I'm just saying this was a pathologist that was somewhat passive and not overt and we hooked him up with the needle in the arm and we said, now here and watch this humor video that you like and laugh. So we took blood from him every fifteen minutes through an hour's period of time to see what was happening with some of his stress hormones. And we thought we hadn't really just blown the experiment because all we got out of him were snickers and a little giggle, but nothing that would be considered a laugh. And we thought this was just a waste of time.
Speaker 2: What was he watching?
Speaker 3: He was watching a Abbot and Costello video. We asked him how he enjoyed was this funny or did you enjoy oh? He thought it was a scream, although there was no overt evidence that. So one doesn't have to be falling on the floor laughing if you please, as we typically will think in fits of laughter. Yet the hormone response, that is, the decrease in the detrimental stress hormones, was just as significant as one who was laughing overtly or out loud. So well, we learned a lot by what.
Speaker 2: Laughter is or isn't and what triggers a laugh. Is it something that is surprising? Is it something that is ironic? Why typically do we laugh?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: There, gosh, it's a question I can't answer. There are a number of different theories about laughter or what is humorous that causes one to laugh.
Speaker 2: They say most laughter isn't about humor necessarily, it's about relationships between people, which I think is really interesting. One theory is called the relief theory, and Freud said that laughter releases tension and something called psychic energy, which maybe one reason why it's seen as healing, or why laughter can be used as a coping mechanism when someone is upset or angry or sad. And this happens to my sister. I have never seen anyone else have this happen to you so much? But in times when she's been really shocked or scared, she gets the giggles. It boggles us all, and to her she's like, I can't, I don't know, I'm laughing. Apparently it's a way of releasing tension. So another theory is that humans are just biologically wired to laugh as communal relief wants, danger passes. This was so interesting to me. So a joke creates this inconsistency. And if we can figure out the riddle, this brain riddle, and realize that the surprise isn't dangerous, we laugh because we're relieved, so we have to get a little bit scared and then we go okay. Never it's fine. So in general, something is funny when we expect one thing and then the punchline causes us to abruptly shift our understanding of the whole situation, and then we snore and hiccup and expel air or fart or whatever. Okay, but what makes us rot f mL emma laughing are on the ground.
Speaker 3: One The best definition that I think we that I have to date, would be that there we stumble on an incongruity of what is and what we stumble into. So it's that incongruity of what you are anticipating is going to be that does not occur. It causes you to trip on yourself, so to speak, mentally, and as a consequence, you laugh. Beyond that, I still don't know how we can describe it any better.
Speaker 2: Do you laugh a lot in your daily life?
Speaker 3: That's a good question. I probably or don't overtly laugh a lot, because I'm one of the indicators of who doctor Lee Burke is is that he's the guy that's serious about laughter. And essentially that's true. But I enjoy humor just incessantly. I grab it as much as I can, and I will sit and watch humor on places like YouTube constantly. Really yeah, and that's done intentionally because now I'm going to step a little bit into the whole world of lifestyle medicine, where I firmly believe that one needs to get off the merry go round periodically because you want to break the cycle of the distress hormones, which as we proceed through our daily life, we exacerbate or ramp up the distress response. That's which is detrimental both immiologically.
Speaker 2: I got to ask what YouTube videos.
Speaker 3: I watch a lot of Carol Burnett Show.
Speaker 2: So there's a pair of comedic actors from the Carol Burnett Show that he really loves, Tim Conway and Harvey Korman. I looked it up.
Speaker 3: They do a dental scene going to do an extraction on his colleague on the show, and it's probably one of the funniest videos I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Conway and Corman performed this legendary sketch involves a very bad dentist and one of them. Corman could not control his laughter during shooting the scene, and apparently at one point he had a little bit of an accident and he went himself. But it's that legendary a comedy scene.
Speaker 5: Well, doctor, please please get this get this tooth out of my mom out. Let's see if we're gonna pull her out, we'll have to have those pulley things, please, and let's see pinchy things and the little picky things there, didn't you picky pully.
Speaker 2: Doctor Burke says he'll put on videos like this in the middle of the day if he needs like a little boost, you know, for you, it might mean falling down a rabbit hole of Twitter memes or researching you know, a pig getting a massage from a cat, which, if you have a chance to, you should look that one up. So stressful day you fired up?
Speaker 3: Oh I I watch several times in the day. I'll just stop and just turn something on.
Speaker 2: Was there a moment in your career where you realized you wanted to take a turn and study the effects of laughter on the immune system. Was there a moment where you thought, Aha, I'm going to be the guy that does this.
Speaker 3: The way that came about deciding to take a look at laughter was more by accident than by design. I think Albert Einstein said, if we had all the answers, we wouldn't call it research, or if we knew what we were doing, we wouldn't call it research.
Speaker 2: So in nineteen eighty eight, doctor Burke was researching exercise, and I hope it was like gnarly leotard clad, jazzer sized stuff and the effects of that on the brain, and they were finding a correlation with laughter.
Speaker 3: And indeed that is the case. We were playing around with laughter because we found prime to that that moderate exercise could literally enhance the production of something called beta endorphin, and we would put individuals on treadmills and put it what we call ivy angio catheters in there at a cubital vein, that's the vein that you have your blood drawn. We saw that, indeed, andendorphins would increase differently in individuals that work physically fit condition versus those that were not. And that was sort of a historic finding at that time. But what intrigued me was that people were saying at least one individual by the name of Norman Cousins who was saying that he would laugh and get pain free sleep from watching his Laurel and Hardy videos or movies at that time, because this is a gentleman who had a disease called angulosingspongelitis, this autoimmune disease.
Speaker 2: So that's a type of arthritis that can cause wicked back pain and normal. Cousins was he was a writer, a journalist, he was a world peace activist, and he'd get these massive bouts of pain and he'd watch Laurel and Hardy via projector. This is like in the seventies before BCRs, which were these things that were like you too, but they weighed fifty pounds. Side note Laurel and Hardy was a comedy duo from the nineteen thirties. So that's kind of the equivalent of people now like watching Carol burnetfadios or your grandchildren watching Tim and Eric in a space capsule, which we will definitely have in forty years. Anyway, Norman Cousins cool dude in a lot of pain watching old comedies.
Speaker 3: He was able to sleep after laughing for about twenty minutes or thirty minutes at a time and sleep for about three to four hours without any pain. So that was a trigger that I wonder what was happening with the stress hormones, and that's when we started pursuing the studies of looking at what stress hormones were affected or the term that we use this modulated as a result of watching and enjoying mirthful laughter humor videos. And when we started that journey, somehow the word got out. We were then contacted by the CBS sixty minutes who wanted to come in video what we were doing. And my first response is were no, thank you, because I was a terrifying endeavor to invite CBS sixty minutes to come in the door.
Speaker 2: So sixty minutes comes and the interview goes well, and in short people are like what hey.
Speaker 3: So as a result of that scenario, we decided that this was serious business and we started to pursue it.
Speaker 2: So then Norman cousins Laurel and Hardy Watcher with the back vean, hits up doctor Burke for a hangout and doctor Burke is like, Yo, come to my lap, let's chat. Norman's like, how can we get more serious about this research on laughter? Doctor Burke was like, well, research costs money, unfortunately, so you know, bummer dude, and.
Speaker 3: He said how much? Well, I've never been asked the question of how much money I wanted to do research, so that that caught me off guard, and I thought, well, if I ask too much, I'll sound foolish, and if I ask too little, I'll sound foolish. So I basically gave him a sum of money, and without question, the next words in his mouth were out of his mouth were whould I write the check to? And that was that was our beginning.
Speaker 2: Well, so why does laughing help? Okay, Well, laughter can help lower what are called detrimental stress hormones like cortisol and adrenaline. That does a few things.
Speaker 3: So if we release cortisol on a chronic basis, we will suppress our immune systems, so we are immune compromised, that's the word. So that's the detrimental effect of chronic stress or one of the mechanisms. So through nineteen eighty nine we indeed stumbled on the study, not stumbled, but we produced the study of medical students showing that we could lower detrimental stress hormones while watching a video, a humor video, and it was very real. And then through the nineteen nineties we continued the journey, presenting different aspects of the immune system that were modulated, changed, or affected. And the key finding at the end of the nineteen hundreds was that we published the culmination paper, included most all of the data in that paper, and I think the year two thousand and one as a consequence. One of the things that Norman Cousins was always intrigued and wanted to say was the fact that laughter could benefit the immune system by increasing natural killer cell activity on natural killer cells or immune cells that affect the immune system in that they go after virally infected cells and they go after specific cancer cells. Very very real. Actually, we can prognostically in women who have breast cancer. There's a type of in laboratory medicine, the type of testing for natural killer cell activity, and it showed that it was very effective in increasing natural killer cells to kill the cancer cells. Not that it's panaceic, but it's again part of the totality of lifestyle, lifestyle medicine and choices that we make whether we want to be happy or not happy makes a difference.
Speaker 2: Is that a choice? Do you think? Do you in your research? How much have you discovered yourself that happiness is a choice or behaviors that increase happiness rather are an important choice to make.
Speaker 3: I cannot happiness. To be happy, one has to pursue happiness. Sounds strange, it sounds maybe selfish, but it's not. Can I become physically fit by sitting in this chair wishing to become physically fit?
Speaker 2: Probably not?
Speaker 3: Probably not.
Speaker 2: I'm no doctor.
Speaker 3: Okay, no, you really can't. So there is a criteria of certain behavior that you have to do. I have to get up off the chair, and I have to move, and I have to exercise to become physically fit. I have so much aerobic exercise, so much anaerobic exercise to become physically fit or cardiovascually fit. Well, the same thing is I think very true relative to being happy. One has to pursue those things in life with an obviously rationale and reason that makes them happy. One of the things that we're finding out that makes us happy is when we make others happy. So there is a whole science of happiness. Berkeley has an incredible program called The Greater.
Speaker 2: Good and yes, I covered them in another episode. For more on this, you can listen to the episode titled grateful Ology is Not a Real Word, in which a very grumpy Alley Ward tries to science herself into a better mood. What is that? What do you need in your brain to be happy? Do you need certain kind of data waves? Gamma waves?
Speaker 3: It's a change or modulation in the type of brain frequency. It would be somewhat similar to what one wishes to attain when one reaches a true state of meditation. Mindfulness. Meditation and long term meditation are now well recognized to be associated with a frequency that hereto four was not recognized as even existing, and that's called the gamma frequency. And the gamma frequency is a frequency that ranges in the range of twenty five to thirty to forty hertz. It's like a radio dial.
Speaker 2: Let's talk brain waves real quick. This is crazy and cool. If you're into brains, which I think we all are, we have them. Isn't it weird that right now your brain is thinking about your brain, and my brain is thinking about your brain, thinking about your brain, and now your brain is thinking about my brain, thinking about your brain, thinking about your brain. Okay, so brain waves are essentially these synchronized electrical pulses. They're from these masses of neurons. They're all chatting with each other, and these waves come in different frequencies depending on your level of chill. Gonna run through them super quick. Delta is a deep sleep wave. It's like deep dreamless sleep. Transcendental meditators get into delta waves. Awareness is pretty detached. Beta waves light meditation sleeping waves. These are present during light sleep, including rem sleep, which is also known as dreamtown. Alpha waves is a deep relaxation wave, so usually your eyes are closed when you're daydreaming or doing like casual light meditation. Beta waves are like your everyday awake consciousness. That's when you're alert you're using logic, you're using your brain. You need these to function, but it can also cause a lot of stress and anxiety. Gamma is somewhat newly discovered and it's the fastest frequency. Scientists think gamma waves are associated with these like bursts of insight.
Speaker 3: Well, the benefit of the gamma frequency is that, indeed it is a freak. And see that in neuroscience we now associate with what we call neural synchronization, neural meaning nerves synchronizing or talking to each other. Well, that's that's that's a real effective brain if the brain is talking to itself, and indeed that is the case with gamma frequency. The other intriguing aspects of gamma frequency as a result of the synchronization is that it's a frequency associated with the highest level for cognitive processing, for thinking, for being functional. Well, that's associated with the complete opposite of a depressed state. But the reality of gamma frequency being extremely beneficial, So we see the antithesis of depression relative to enhancing gamma frequency. Out there are other modalities that enhance gamma frequency. It's not just laughter. It is enhanced, as we have studied in our research shows it's enhanced with a high antioxidant food consumption. That is, foods that are extremely high in antioxidants, and I'm talking in the range of maybe fifty three fifty six thousand micromolls per one hundred grams. Wait what that mean much for your listeners, But the reality is that it's in the range of the top foods or spices that exist in the world as we know today. So apparently the antioxidants are doing something in brain that causes the induction of the gama frequency.
Speaker 2: And another substance, super high intoxidants seventy percent cacao or greater chocolate, This can elicit the induction of gamma frequency in the brain. So eat it whatever you're good, doctor's orders.
Speaker 3: We also have seen it with a high antioxygen concentration of various nuts, walnuts, pecans, vistachues. So this is missus essentially brand new research.
Speaker 2: This bodes well for the turtle industry. Chocolate nut turtles, So mirthful, laughter, nuts, chocolate, exercise, all good things for your brain and your immune system. So hop on a treadmill, eat a turtle, not a real turtle, a chocolate turtle, and watch comedians wet themselves.
Speaker 3: So we are now starting to call all of these kinds of lifestyle behave years a term called you stress metaphors U stress eu for the two letters eu come from the Greek, which mean good stress, good stress, you stress. It's not a word that I coined, A word coined by doctor Hans Celier, who is the father of the stress adaptation syndrome and discovered the detrimental folks of stress. But before he died, he realized that all stress was not bad, that there was something called good stress, and he termed it you stress.
Speaker 2: Doctor Hans Celier, by the way, was a badass. He was a Hungarian who spoke eight languages. He would wake up at five am every morning to swim and then he'd ride his bike six miles to work, and he kind of discovered stress. He would see patients who just looked like garbage, and a lot of them were under a lot of strain. So in fact, when he coined the word, he's like, oh, it's called stress. He did the English wasn't his first language, and he said he regrets using stress and wishes he would have called it strain because that's more accurate. But now we say stress in like all the languages pretty much, Oh except in Chinese, where I found out it's called crisis and it's depicted by two characters put together, one for danger and one for opportunity, which is so painfully accurate. Have you ever heard the theory or the just the general assumption that a lot of comedians are depressed people? What do you think about that? Is that self medication?
Speaker 3: Then a lot of them lived very long lives.
Speaker 2: Doctor Burke pointed out that George Burns lived to be pretty old. He died at the age of one hundred. And I looked up George Burns plus depression, but all the articles capitalized the D and depression, and then I realized they meant oh, as in the Great Depression, because George Burns was born in the eighteen hundreds, y'all before comedians free based crack cocaine and set themselves on fire with high proof rum. And I'm looking at you, Richard Pryor. I did a little more digging, and this study was published in a cardiac journal in twenty sixteen, and it examined the lives of almost five hundred people, including two hundred stand up comedians, around one hundred comedy actors around two hundred dramatic actors, so the average age of death for stand up comedians was shorter at around sixty seven years. The dramatic actors lived three or four years longer. So they think that stand up comedians well, First off, they're more likely to die from car accidents, from suicide, and from drug misadventures. Also, stand ups tend to pull late nights, you know, in venues, they do a lot of travel. But also the majority of comedians tend to have a few personality traits in common. They have higher than average to very well above average intelligence, and some studies have laid high intelligence to depression you and some ulosum, but humor can also decrease the social distance between people and Patton Oswald and said in a CNN documentary that a lot of comedians are people that are very introverted, very shy, very sensitive to humiliation. So the only way to combat that is to go to the one place where you're stripped bear in his words. And there's a British comedy researcher Gordon Clarridge who said that comedy may partly be a form of self medication. So it's important to note too that those who make comedy may not always be the same people who benefit from it. You know, watching a stand up special at home is decidedly less stressful on your body in your mind than like working on new material for two years, or selling a stand up special, recording it in front of a thousand people and then hoping it rates well so you get another one again. I'm not a doctor, but watching comedy much less stressful than making it. So Comedians sometimes they get a little wild, but much.
Speaker 3: Like most of us who work for a living, get stressed from our work and have consequence as a result of the work. And by the way, that's the reason you'd get off the merry. Go round periodically and reset your set point with the use of laughter or music that moves your soul, or some form of appropriate meditation. Just watch the crystals, don't hit your head.
Speaker 2: What about laughing yoga? Does that count as mirthful laughter? Because mirthful laughter is organic laughter, right, not psychotic laughter.
Speaker 3: There's a controversy of whether laughter yoga is the same as intrinsic oriented good laughter yoga is I don't believe it's the same thing as an intrinsic experience.
Speaker 2: Are you ready for some questions from listeners? Sure, yeah, there's so many, but I'm going to go through the best ones quickly. We won't ask all of them. There's no way I can ask you.
Speaker 3: All of them.
Speaker 2: But before we take questions from you, our beloved listeners, going to take a quick break for sponsors of the show. Sponsors. Why sponsors? You know what they do? They help us give money to different charities every week. So if you want to know where Ologies gives our money, you can go to aliwar dot com and look for the tab Ologies gives back. There's like one hundred and fifty different charities that we've given to already, with more every single week. So if you need a place to go, donate a little bit of money but you're not sure where to go. Those are all picked biologists who work in those fields, and this ad break allows us to give a ton of money to them. So thanks for listening and thank sponsors.
Speaker 1: Imagine the place where you can escape for a day, get immersed in a world of rooms, inspiration and expertise where you can lazy luxury accommodation. Thank kids, cam fees from ninety five sets, take yourself free to everyone and include all the attractions you've just imagined in the day out at the KaiA, the kia, the wonderful every day.
Speaker 2: Okay, your questions Okay, So these first questions come from my Patreon subscribers. So Priscilla wants to know does a smile have the same effect on the body as a laugh.
Speaker 3: There is some evidence that a smile elicits a similar response, because for some individuals a smile is equivalent to a laugh because they're not as overt as others are. There is a benefit, just a little adjective here, there is a benefit of seeing somebody smile because we have in brain what we call mere neurons I'm sorry, maror neurons is where we replicate that which we see. And if that sounds strange, it's not so strange in the sense that as we are walking down on a hallway and we see somebody laughing at the other end of the hallway, as a group of people, we have no idea what the context is, yet we will start to smile in response. So a smile does, by virtue of conditioning or creatures of conditioning, indeed, canonlyicity beneficial response.
Speaker 2: Rachel wants to know why do some people me, she says, cry when we laugh really hard.
Speaker 3: I think it's it's just part of the package. Yeah, just you are just overflow, tears will roll down the eyes. I mean, one can get into whether it's a sense of eyes cleansing himself. If it's funny, it's good and enjoy it, cry whatever.
Speaker 2: That's a great lot of Katie wants to know. Is laughing something that's developed in us biologically or is the origin social She says, it seems like we can't control it, but she does doesn't know what the evolutionary advantage of laughter would be. Great question, Katie Anderson.
Speaker 3: We are programmed to laugh, We are born to laugh. And have you ever seen a three to four month old child giggle and smile and laugh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're giggle there's meaty giggle boxes.
Speaker 3: Where did they learn that?
Speaker 2: So it's innate?
Speaker 3: Sure, Yet they can't speak one word. So the brain is programmed to have laughter, to utilize laughter. Yet we don't do that in our society. In fact, when we go to school. I grew up in Canada and I spent the first eighteen years of my life in Canadian school British system. If you please and education was serious, and teacher told me so, don't, don't fool around in class, and she would waggle her finger at me. Get serious. Life is serious, so we are we socialize ourselves by removing that that that reality of being programmed or innately born with with with the utilization of laughter. After all, laughter is a good medicine. We're told then to get serious about life, and we do. Then we pay the price for it.
Speaker 2: Laughter isn't something that's conditioned. Rather, the lack of laughter is conditioned more.
Speaker 3: So, Yeah, we're we're deconditioned if to remove laughter as part of being human. Yet we go home in the evenings and look for the best sitcom that we can, which is a whole nother discussion of the sitcoms that are on television today versus do they really represent appropriate humor? Right?
Speaker 2: What is appropriate humor?
Speaker 3: Humor? Well, it's it's appropriate humor is when we can laugh at ourselves without mockery. And today's humor is your mother looks like a pig. So we are causing a sense of detriment and derogatory meaning to the sense of humor. So I'm supposed to find humor that is demeaning and derogatory as being now the new definition of humor. The question is not just the overt observation, but what is then the neuroscience or the psychological translation of that demeaning or derogatory pursue? Right?
Speaker 2: Does it cause as much you stress as humor that doesn't rely on another's kind of misery or taking down a peg?
Speaker 3: Well? Is that degradation now the new norm? So the question is if I'm laughing at somebody telling me a joke about my mother looking like a pig, and they find it absolutely hilarious, that doesn't fit with my biology.
Speaker 2: So remember, laughter follows this perceived threat found to be benign. So if an insult comic is to cutting that sense of like, oh, never mind, everything is fine, starts to be kind of threatened. And I couldn't find a lot of research on this. I did a lot of looking. But maybe if the jokes are at another's expense, the threat isn't imminent to you, So the laughter comes from having been spared the insult comics attention. I don't know, I myself get super uncomfy with insult comics and roasts because like, human beings are so fragile, and it just bums me out. But the late doctor William F. Frye, who was a Stanford psychiatrist. He was kind of the founder of modern gelutology, explained that laughing when someone trips, however, happens when we know that this situation didn't ultimately harm them. So watching someone stumble like over a pigeon and drop an ice cream might be funny because the ice cream was the only thing that was really harmed, you know. But if the person died in the fall and also killed a pigeon, it would be kind of outside the playframe and not funny. So we'd empathize with the harm, and the threat could no longer be benign unless you were a dick and you didn't care or like really invested in the ice cream, and that bummed you out. Thomas Pico asked, why do we laugh when we watch Slapstick? Why is watching someone slip on a banana peel funny like laughing at the three stooges causing each other pain? Is that funny? Should that be funny?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not sure that the pain is the issue of what's being funny. What is funny is the fact that we know that we have periodically slipped on something and we find that identity. They just take it to the extreme that we can identify with.
Speaker 2: When it's directed at the human experience or back at ourselves or a surprise factor, it has different benefits neurologically sure. Side note my own question, in a current current climate that seems high stress lately, do you feel that people are doing enough to kind of combat stress of the news cycle? Like, given that our new cycle is now twenty four hours, we're constantly getting alerts on our phone and things like that, do you think people are watching enough humor? Do you think it's a good balance these days?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: I think I don't think we were watching enough that which counter counters the detriment. Do we see society improving in its interaction with each other as a result of the enhancement of the technology and the communication with the media and the news as it is today?
Speaker 2: Right? Not so much? Perhaps here's a theory. It seems to be a depressing time lately, so let's laugh more.
Speaker 3: Then, what then is our our stop gap or how do we counter that? It's at a molecular level?
Speaker 2: I imagine yeah, that we don't I think we take stress for granted so much just it's something that we deal with. It's something that happens, and it's something that very much is in the mind, but it's not in the mind when you consider immunology and autoimmunity as well as effective.
Speaker 3: Every thought process, every thought process has biotranslation. There's no thought that either we create on ourselves or comes in to us that doesn't have biological translation. The question is, then, what is the consequence of that translation. It's like a fork in the road. You want it to benefit you or do you want is it going to be detrimental? So it depends what you're watching, listening to, and what you're doing.
Speaker 2: I have a few more questions. These are from people in your Facebook group. This question came up probably no fewer than six times. Why do we laugh when someone tickles us? And why can't we sickle ourselves?
Speaker 3: We haven't studied that yet.
Speaker 2: That's a next study.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't have an I don't have an answer for that.
Speaker 2: So this may not be doctor Burke's wheelhouse, but some evolutionary biologists think that we laugh when we're tickled because there's a part of the brain called the hypothalmus, and that tells us to laugh when we experience a light touch. It's the same part of us that says, hey, and painful sensation is coming. Someone goes for like a tickle zone, like your pits or your feet or your throat. They could be killing you with their hands, and laughing could have evolved as a defense mechanism to show that we're submissive to an aggressor and make the tension go away. You laugh at people's jokes and maybe they'll like you. They won't get peeved, and you perhaps giggle at tickles. Maybe your airways won't get crushed by someone. So thanks human brain. Now do other species of animals laugh? McKenna ask that.
Speaker 3: Well, they claim, he certainly the chimpanzees have a form of laughter. I even think there is one investigator who studies from the neuroscience standpoint that rats have a form of laughter and they can monitor the frequency and he's calling that laughter.
Speaker 2: Okay, go get your eyes on this National Geographic video about rat tickling.
Speaker 1: So here's the sound a rat makes if you tickle its back.
Speaker 2: The video goes on to note that the rats freaking love it. They seek out this gloved hand of the researcher for more tickling. They chase the hand around. It's kind of like a little tiny sewer dog with a long, snaky tail.
Speaker 3: If you've ever seen a dog that's panting somewhat and their tail's wagging. They claim that to be some form of laughter That.
Speaker 2: Would make sense be given our social relationship with them as a means of bonding or communicating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But to answer that question more specifically, one would have to look at what is brain doing okay and is it similar in response in their brain? I think most animals most have some sense of capability of laughter, if you please, or I want to call it laughter being associated with happiness or joyfulness.
Speaker 2: I have one one last question, but it's a two part of what is the hardest thing about your job or your least favorite thing about your job? It could be anything from like the vending machines in the cafeteria to research funding to having to iron shirts to the mysteries of gamma waves. I always am curious about what the most challenging thing is of the job or of life either. I would say the most challenged to think about about being a psycho neeuroimmunologist slash slash gelatologist.
Speaker 3: Not having a twenty fifth hour, not enough time?
Speaker 2: What would you do in that one hour?
Speaker 3: Albert Einstein said this real well on his deathbed. He said, I've.
Speaker 2: Only started so that you can't do it all. Yeah, that's a high thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I get asked by students. I asked the students, doctor Burke, you know so much? You know and it's it's the most humbling statement in the sense. My response is, no, I really don't. I thought I knew a lot yesterday and but I know less today.
Speaker 2: What is your favorite thing about what you do?
Speaker 3: Everything?
Speaker 2: Everything?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm pretty lucky. I'm lucky to be doing what I'm doing. I'm lucky to be. Don't ever, anybody in your audience, don't ever think because you're so diverse that it doesn't pay off. It certainly does, because you get to you get to see and think of different perspectives that you would never ever have the opportunity to do so. And I started, you know, with this degree, and this degree is I call it, and sociology and on or on. It was so diverse. It all came together when I stumbled into psycho or immunology and realized how everything was inter twined, interwoven, interrelated, and the reality of the consequence of anyone thought, either going for benefit or detriment, is very real and that's my choice.
Speaker 2: You are just a new hero of mine. So to learn more about doctor Burke and his work. The work of Burke, go to his website at doctor dash Lee dash Burke dot com and I post links and photos at Aliward dot com slash ologies for all the episodes. You can follow Ologies on Instagram or Twitter it's just at Ologies. You can join all the lovely ologyites at the Ologies podcast Facebook group. Great group of people and they always have really interesting links and insights into the episodes. You can follow me at Ali Ward Ali with one L on Twitter or Instagram, and or become a patron at patreon dot com slash ologies. I tell you what topics are coming up next. You get kind of some sneak information there and then your questions get asked to Theologists, so you can join for as little as twenty five cents an episode. Thank you to Stephen Ray Morris for all the edits on this episode, and to Shannon Feltis and Bonnie Dutch for their amazing work they do at ologiesmerch dot Com. I have tons of stuff up there that they've helped design and helped me manage, so head to that site you can browse the goods. Also, if you're near Portland on February twenty second and you want to meet the fantatologist from a few episodes back Cole and Perry, she's so great. The link for a special dinner with her in Portland on the twenty second of February is in the show notes, so you can click on that. Nick Thorburn did the music for Ologies, and if you like it, you should check out his band Island or his solo work Nick Diamond. He also did the serial theme music Is That Crazy. He's great and per usual. I always tell a secret at the end of the episode, and I, you know, I thought it would be interesting to hear what the hardest you guys have ever laughed? So I don't know, tagget Gelatology and let me know, But I want to hear what the hardest you guys have ever laughed is. I'll tell you mine. I think the hardest I've ever laughed was watching this video posted to YouTube by a user called food Plot. It's about a dog named Denver who eats Cat Treats. I just did a whole thing where I thought i'd watch it while recording, but it was too much drill cackling, so I just deleted it. But it's anyway, It's really good, Okay. Asks more people love questions, you know the drill.
Speaker 4: Urbye, Pacodermatology, mombiology, crypto zoology, lithology and zeminology, meteorology, bology, nathology. Serious.
Speaker 1: Imagine the place where you can escape for a day. Get immersed in a world of rooms, inspiration and expertise where you can lay in luxury, accommodation and kids cam Fees from ninety five sets. Tickets are free to everyone and include all the attractions you've just imagined. A day out at the Caia, the Kia, the wonderful every day.
Speaker 2: Get value you can't argue with at Tesco with their amazing club card prices. Serve up something special with our finest meal deal for two starring one main, two sides and dessert for only sixteen europe Like succulent board be approved Rushanger strip loin steaks with peppercorn butter, or delicious irous chicken parmesana served with creamy potato crotta and her mix of rape bow root vegetables and enjoy Goozillionaire or Soldier caramel cheesecake. Can't argue with that shop in store or online Tesco. Every little helps available the most stores, Prices varying Express