Speaker 1: Welcome everyone to Hobby Hotline, episode three hundred and ninety three. We are once again the interactive call in show that you can participate if you want to. I threw that link right in the chat. If anyone wants to join in and talk with us directly on screen, you are always welcome. I've got a couple of great co panelists here with me, Orlando a Collector's Dream. Hello Orlando.
Speaker 2: Hey John, good to be back.
Speaker 1: Then. Oh yeah, the kid with as well, Welcome.
Speaker 3: What's up John? What's up everybody? Only a month out from the Nationals getting close that.
Speaker 1: People are starting to get national fever, aren't they? And I have a feeling those folks that you know might be saying, oh, I'm burned out on going to the National I might start to get foamo here eventually. But yeah that we've already got a few folks here in the chat are slowly rolling in. It's early for us those on the West Coast like myself, but we got Stukes Good morning from Minnesota. We got Mad City Brew, We've got Upstate sports cards, yank Bee card, Steve from Tucson. I was actually in Phoenix this week for work. But it is hot down there. I am. I am happy to get off the plane in Portland and it's like, oh, I can go outside and not just in starts sweating. Good morning from sunny Cape Cod We've got upstate sports cards Albany. Is that New Jersey? New York? It was a typo. I thought all it would be in New York, but uh, we have got someone who is experiencing tonight in Tokyo. Welcome from the other side of the world. So all right, before we get rolling into the topics, you guys got anything you want to bring up? First, I have to bring up a big shout out to my boy THEO. I'm sure if you're watching this you've probably seen it. He's got thousands of views wrapped up on the video where he put I quit on the thumbnail, and what he did was quit his day job and went full time in the hobby. So big congrats to THEO for following his dream and seeking happiness over the corporate grind. So congratulations to THEO, who is working for Collector Investor Auctions, which might be a sponsor for a program on this channel when we do our Sunday closing shows. We've got one coming up July twelfth because their auction did just open up again for July. So lots of good stuff in their auctions every time. And well, the thing that's great about them is that feel like they hit every price point for any level of collector. So you've got your big comma stuff at the front end of the auction, but then they've got just depth all the way through for you know, bargain collectors, you know, and everything in between. So yeah, okay, Orlando.
Speaker 2: You got any Yeah, definitely auction. I just send some cards on Monday. Unfortunately they didn't get there in time for this auction, but they'll be there in the August auction. But they're a great auction house. It's the one I've been. This will be my fifth time sending cards over there, and you know, I especially love that they pay you immediately because they sell them. But yeah, what I've got going is I'll be at a card show next week. You know, I attend card shows pretty much every month, maybe twice a month. There aren't as many here in South Florida as there are in other places, but I do try to go to all of them. And I've got a new podcast that's coming out actually today. We recorded it yesterday with Sammy Thunder and it pertained to card shows. It's called Card Show Culture, and we recorded it yesterday. I'm going to post it today after we do this hobby hotline, so we'd be able to look out for that, and it'll also be some of it will also appear on the Sports Card Clubhouse. So Sammy and I are thinking of doing it once a month. We both do a lot of card shows, just going to talk a little bit about what's happening out there at the card shows. And it's crazy already that we're having the National again, and he's like yesterday that we were at Strongsville, you know, and oh yeah, it kind of seems like yesterday that Brody was a kid, and Brody's.
Speaker 4: Not a kid anymore.
Speaker 2: So I'm flive. So back to you, Brody, what do you got going on?
Speaker 3: I'm so excited for the National, but I think as well, something good to mention is to shout out my man Tim at signatures for soldiers he's doing. Obviously, we're close to July fourth, and he's not going to be getting as much that he would be during the summer. So if you want to look at his Twitter is he's on District, He's on eBay.
Speaker 5: Maybe go look at the stuff.
Speaker 3: He's got great organization there, see if you can donate.
Speaker 1: So well, that's a great lead in. Because I got the schedule out or ready to go. I'm going to be notifying all the folks who are going to be hosting shows on the upcoming hobby Polooza number seven. This is going to be starting Friday, July seventeenth, all day Saturday the eighteenth, all day Sunday the nineteenth, and throughout the show we're going to be asking for donations from signatures for Soldiers. The main point of the event is a fundraiser for them. We were able to give them eighty five hundred dollars last year around hobby Palooza. So the goal for this year is let's hit that ten K. That's a magic number. We want to want to try to hit that one this year, and I think we can do it. We have got a ton of great people lined up. I know there's many out you out there who might not have been able to get a chance. We only had twenty nine spots to fill and there's so many awesome creators in the community. But it should be a great event again for those three days. But once again, if you didn't hear that, mark your calendars July seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth. So starting Friday evening, the first show is going to be seven pm Eastern four Pacific, and once again leading things off for us as a host was going to be silver Jackafi and they always put together a great show and all kinds of you know, you think of one of the big creators in our little hobby space and they're going to be a part of this, So it should be a fun event. And just back on your you know linkage with Sammy Thunder Orlando's. To me, it's very synergistic because you guys started almost around the same time. You guys both blew up as far as channels with doing exactly what you're talking with, walking through shows and giving us great looks at you know, the folks like me on the West Coast that have a dearth of card shows. I get to see and be jealous of you guys over to the East Coast what you have access to on a regular basis. So yeah, to your show.
Speaker 2: I'm a little jealous. Of course, he's got shows every weekend, but yeah, Sammy and I our channels are very very similar. We do card shows and we show cards, and we started around the same time. We've been doing YouTube now for almost five years, and we actually collaboration. We're both hitting two thousand subscribers at the same time, so I remember that we did that and had gave away some prizes on that, and you know, now we're both over four thousand subscribers. And again it's been almost five years, and we both were inducted into the YouTube Hall of Fame the same year also, so it.
Speaker 1: Was been on a parallel course with him up in the Northeast and you down in Florida.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Sammy and I have become really good friends because of all of that, and of course, you know, we see each other we go to the big shows. But I think it was a great idea. Sammy came up with it and said, you know, there aren't any podcast out there on card shows and what's actually happening at shows, So you know, he said, hey, let's do it. I said, we're gonna do it. So we're gonna do once a month, and you know, who knows, if it becomes popular, maybe we'll do even even more often. We'll see how it goes.
Speaker 1: All right, Yeah, sounds good. Speaking of shows, now let's get into the topic of what is coming only one month away. It's starting to be the buzz across many conversations on channels, the national is coming. We what it's one month and what two days would be the start of it now? So it seems to be on fire again as we can see. Let me show my screen real quick. Here we go, boom. It's already sold out for the VIP packages, So those of you out there, if you don't have your tickets, you might want to buy that five day early entry pass now before those sell out as well, because I do remember last year they sold out before the show as well. So, but is there any stopping this train of the hobby right now of just being on fire? And what are your thoughts, Orlando.
Speaker 2: No, they'll stopping it now. I think it's supposedly they say that this is going to be the biggest show ever. I think the biggest has been back when they had that Anaheim show, and this is supposed to be the biggest one. I mean, yeah, those VIP tickets have been sold out for a while and the five day early access if you don't get your tickets this week, you may miss out, because I remember last year they did sell out. And if you've got to go with the daily.
Speaker 1: Passes, it takes a while to get in the building every day.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, if you remember, John, the line was seemed like it was over a mile long outside, you know, and they had to literally go outside and put the wristbands on people out there because the line went all the way way out into the street, and it took those guys just over an hour just to get in. So you don't want to do the daily pass unless you're only gonna go there one day. But if you're gonna be there more than, you know, two or three days, you got to get the five day, the early pass and get in before all those crowds. If not, you're gonna be stuck out there in the heat and the crowd for long long to the hall.
Speaker 1: All right, it looks like we're on the big screens at the sports card shop. So hello, everyone's shopping at the sports card shop.
Speaker 5: But this is gonna be the biggest show. I'm so excited for it.
Speaker 3: I love that the upstairs is gonna be bigger because I think all of us that went upstairs last year. Knew that that was not the best design ever, but it's I mean, it's the buzz every year, and I'm really excited for it. I can't wait to see everybody. I think that's the best part about the nationals, being able to see all the people were talking to here and YouTube channels on Twitter, on Instagram.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of the upstairs, I did also pull up the interactive map and let me zoom in. It looks like the upstairs is now not a second class citizen anymore. So it appears to be much better when they've actually got you know, corporate things upstairs and real aisles. So I'm looking forward to that being a usable space as opposed to the nightmare it was last year, so you could once it got past the early morning, you could not squeeze hardly past those aisles without colliding with everyone, So that as much much better. I mean, you've got eBay has booths up there, so it's definitely going to be laid out better.
Speaker 5: Yeah's TikTok doing up there?
Speaker 2: I do not know.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, what is TikTok's involvement with the sports card hobby at this point? That is weird? Like even Fanatics has a smaller booth upstairs in addition to the big one they have downstairs.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I heard a lot of people do sell card to talk. Now I don't have TikTok, but that's kind of what I've heard. So that's gotta be something they want to promote a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Oh, here's a question pre national commercial. Where is the West Coast card show commercial? It's coming up before the national I think what it amounts to is that the majority of our community is Midwest and Northeast based, is what it amounts to. I mean, that's even the prevalence of If you look at that card show map website, dang, the little pins are just like everywhere in the Midway, like Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York. It's insane how many pins are on that map for card shows in those states. But they are spreading everywhere. I mean, we've got the front Row Show is starting to do regular quarterly shows at our large convention center as opposed to the dying pathetic mall that we were getting little tiny card shows at. So unfortunately they are more than half pokemon, but it is what it is. So but that looks to night, you know, any other thoughts on the whole card show front, and you know, beyond just the National, how crazy it is getting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's definitely getting crazy. We'll see last year there weren't as many Pokemon dealers at the National as there are in regular card shows, where you know, you've got fifty to sixty seventy of the show is poke them on. But I hear there's going to be more Pokemon and you know maybe in the second floor. You know last year that place huge up up in the second floor, but it was all crammed in section, So hopefully they'll expand all that out, and that's where probably a lot of the newer deaders located. Because the way they do the National, the kind of the people have been to the longest get to pick their spot and pick their booth and those get in and then the ones that the new guys there get whatever's left over. So that's probably going to be the second floor guys. And I would imagine the Pokemon are going to be more up there. But it looks like they're going to have bigger aisles, which is great because upstairs before, I mean you couldn't fit two people in one Aisle, so hopefully it'll get better. But yeah, I'm expecting to be the biggest national ever based on all the hype and everything that's going on, and it's going to be just the area where all the corporates are going to be. That's going to be crazy. If you saw last year, it was loud.
Speaker 3: And I think it'll be interesting with the second floor from that map, like that almost looks like its own show, Like that's crazy. I think you might even see it at the regular show. Maybe it'll be a little less crowded down there because you've got a lot of people going up there, especially like you said, if it's a lot of Pokemon people, there might be a lot of people up there instead of downstairs. But again, I mean, it's the biggest show of the year and I can't wait.
Speaker 1: Oh. I mean, we've got people commenting all over the place that there's just tons of shows like popping up in where they live here with what was it? I saw one comment saying, okay, see as three to four options every weekend right here, So I mean, it doesn't it seems like this is just becoming a more mainstream hobby.
Speaker 5: Is that?
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know. You know, being someone who in the junk wacks era, I was finishing high school when you know, the bottom fell out of the thing before, so I left because I was going to be going to college. And you know, Orlando, you were around. I mean, was it was it because all the kids fled before or was it you know what happened between the was the spread different then as far as kids versus or.
Speaker 2: You know, it was different but very similar. I mean what happened was you know, back in the eighties and nineties, I was doing card shows as a dealer, and you know, that was the junk wax era. But you know, we didn't know that unk wax era. When we were in the junk wax era, people were actually thinking that they would buy cases of these you know, eighty seven tops cards and save them and that that would pay for your college education. So you know, we didn't know how much overproduction there was going on at the time because of course we didn't have YouTube, we didn't have any social media and stuff, so it was very speculative at the time. A lot of people got into the hobby and then eventually people realize that, hey, you know what these cards are being way overproduced, and I think, you know, it's it's a similar to what's happening today in the Pokemon where everybody's getting into Pokemon and buying a lot of these you know, boxes and unopened boxes in this and they don't realize that last year they produced one billion to be one billion Pokemon. So you see all these people that are coming in where you know, the same thing back in the day, you know PSA Now, I think seventy percent of their cards being graded are Pokemon cards. You know, they literally open a pack of cards and they submit almost every card is the PSA to get you know graded, And back in those days, that's kind of what what you thought. You thought all the cards were going to be worth money. And then eventually, you know, you know, reality sat in. People that came in as investor typee they kind of got out of the hobby. And that's what happened back back in those days. You had the big bunch of people coming in, but then you had a bunch of people going out once they realize that that it wasn't an investment. So it's kind of similar to what's happening today, and you see all these new all the new money that's coming in through the market right now. But you know, most of the stuff, especially a lot of the modern right now, you know, it's not going to be worth what people think, you know, years from now. I mean, think about all the Zion cards and stuff that were graded and all those type of cards that a lot of them are are worthless right now. They're not worth the slab that the slab is worth more than the card itself. So you know, that's what that's what's what I see happening. It's a good thing, I think, because a lot of people are getting in and a lot of people are going to stay in the hobby, but you're going to have people eventually are going to be leaving the hobby because they either get disappointed or because it just wasn't you know. They're not collectors per se, they're more because of the investment, uh part of the hobby opinion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so as far as okay, see Bill, yeah the question. I am fifty two, so I was a ninety two high school graduate, and so on that front, I mean, when I was doing it, it was like in the eighties, all the kids in your class, you were the odd kid if you didn't collect sports cards. So that's where I'm wondering now in this new generation, like Brody, are you the odd one because you do? Or is there is it become popular with the younger kids.
Speaker 3: It's definitely getting popular. I'd say it's pretty split like it used to be, like I was the only now I think it. You know, it depends on who you're hating out with. But I there's there's the chase factor. And I was just talking about this with my friends and my dad the other day. You know, and those eighty Tops packs there's nothing worth anything, But in twenty years, you know, there might not be anything from a Tops Chrome set that's worth much. But I guarantee you that Paul Schemes one on one with his debut patch is still gonna.
Speaker 5: Be worth one hundred of thousands of dollars. And that's the difference that I see.
Speaker 3: Is it a junk parallel era, Yeah, I mean there's eighty plus hundreds parallels in every set. But I think some of these cards, especially Fanatics, I mean Fanatics has the like, the resources and the money for so much stuff that I think this is this train will keep going. It'll be interesting to see how many people hop off.
Speaker 1: We have actually got a call in on our call in show here from the other side of the world. We have got Carl from OZ. Welcome to Hobby Hotline.
Speaker 4: Good morning, gentlemen.
Speaker 1: Hey, good evening to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's good, it is. Indeed, it's one twenty four. I am I'm sitting up in bed. I've just locked my cat out of the bedroom. She's bogging at me. Just wanted to join in this. This is quite fun. I love this and I yell you. You're talking earlier, John, Sorry, you're talking earlier about being jelous about the lack of couch shows anything. Seriously, you got rebell. Not this year. I'm not going to the National. This year's found that overwhelming. Last year for me, I loved it. It was great fun. But now I'm I'm I'm locked into Strongsville next year. That's that's the next big one for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's got to be tough for you. It's a two day traveling to get to the National.
Speaker 4: It can be Orlando, yes, it can. Indeed. I'm coming over again, coming over to the States late October and hoping to catch up with a few people. My my son in law is running in the New York Marathon, so I'm going to be over for that, but that's that'll be the next time I'm over there.
Speaker 2: Coral tell us about the hobby. That's how it's like over there. And are there card shows over there?
Speaker 4: There are, but they're they're they're overwhelmed by Pokemon, I have to say, and which which tends to deter me. What I've found is that there is a significant interest in basketball and soccer, uh English football Australians sports. We have our local football league is called the AFL Australian Football League. Its cards are very popular locally, obviously not internationally. Cricket's very popular, but Pokemon has just swamped card shows generally, which, as I say, makes it less than totally attractive for me. There was a guy came out from the States to a big show in Sydney a few weeks ago. I can't remember his name, but he did a good video on the show up there, and I think there's a few additional shows in Sydney compared to Melbourne.
Speaker 2: And where are you? What city are you in?
Speaker 4: I'm in Melbourne, WHI she's down the southern part of the country on the east coast, still southeast coast. Melbourne's the second largest city in Australia, soon to be the largest. We're catching up to Sydney population wide. Sydney's got about five and a half million. We've got about five In Australia. The population has concentrated significantly on the coast. There's hardly any population in the interior. In terms of numerically, there's very large cattle ranchers and what you guys would good ranchers like there's I think there's one in I think it's in Western Australia. That's the size of Belgium or something like that. I mean, the acreage of some of these places are staggering, but there's pretty poor, poor country in terms of utility in the ground. But I'm getting jealous about not being out of course, but you know, you can't, you can't do absolutely everything. And I JT has invited me to be the umpire in one of his one of his shows in the next few weeks. So I had arrived yesterday a National League umpire's hat and I've bought a whistle to bring catch bring people into line, and I intend to have the tiebreaker questions based on Australian here so just to pivot up participants. Happened to me if.
Speaker 1: Anyone referring to JT's Vintage Card Round and has a new show called pre War Card Clash, which is basically, uh, admittedly a rip showcase showdown completely war.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, as I say, it's a complete rip off, that's it. I don't think. I don't think Mike and Chris mind that much.
Speaker 1: They got their blessing, Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 3: I think you've got a lot of card shops down there too, not that many.
Speaker 4: There's more and more coming on, but again it's it's all Pokemon based primarily, and they usually have a smattering of modern sports. I have very very little, very little into mean, I would would not I would not keep them, keep them profitable, that's for sure, because it's just hardly anything there. But unfortunately by are A A and c I A options have got me somewhat hooked at the moment, so we will have limited funds, no idea.
Speaker 1: Closing show. There's a stack of Carl from OZ wins.
Speaker 4: Well they one day for the next few months, John, because I do have to sign for shrugs.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, Brody, Carl was asking where you're from. Yeah, talk about this. Tell us about the card shows in your area. What are what are they and how are they doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm actually only about thirty five forty minutes from Rosemont from the convention centers.
Speaker 5: They usually do.
Speaker 3: A couple, usually do two smaller ones there called the Chicago Sports Spectacular, and I think it's usually in the upstairs part that they're using for the National It's a pretty decent show. A lot of autographed guests there as well too. And then recently, in like the past year year and a half, there's a lot of just random shows and small towns popping up.
Speaker 5: A lot of Pokemon too.
Speaker 3: The couple I've been to recently, i'd say probably like sixty seventy percent Pokemon. But yeah, it's pretty crazy because a lot of these towns are really small, but.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of people there. It's crazy to see how many people are going to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think that's happening here too. We had a small show and really a small little I guess you call her a town, even though we're here in Fort Lauderdale area in Cooper City, which you know, it's it's kind of a real small, you know, area, and they did their first card show in Cooper City here recent and stookes from it was here, you know, in the area. He was staying in Best Palm and we met up at the show and I got to tell you, you know, it was at one of these veteran halls type where it's pretty small, but it was packed. It was the first show there, and it was like crazy packed, all of the full of the dealers and you could barely walk on, you know, in the halls, I mean during the aisles, and I did a video. I couldn't believe it. For the first show there. It was packed and really a small little city and you wouldn't expect that much out of that. So I think that, yeah, not only are the shows coming up in the big areas here like Miami and Fort Lauderdale, but you see small shows coming up in places like Cooper City, which is kind of a little little town. So I'm seeing more shows opening in places where you would have never expect to have shows at all.
Speaker 4: And Orlando, the people attending them and that primarily young people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, a lot of young people, a lot of modern a couple of vintage dealers, but the majority, again, the majority were modern and Pokemon cards is what you see in these shows. And and this the guy the promoter was kind of a new promoter who had never seen before, so I think this was probably his first show. And he was a fairly young guy. So at a lot of shows coming A.
Speaker 4: Couple of vintage dealers were thy busy.
Speaker 2: Yes, they were busy. The whole show was busy. You know, everybody was selling them. The dealers that I spoke to, everybody looked like they were having a good.
Speaker 4: Show, good interesting.
Speaker 2: And it was just a one day show. It went a two day show.
Speaker 1: All right, yep, all right? Can we talk about backpacks at shows? What's our opinion? I wear one nine sign percent of the time, and I hate it because I'm bumping and getting bumped. It's because those card shows are so popular and are packed full of people.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean, for me, Phil, I have a small backpack that I carry with me when I go to the National, when I go to Strongsville, you know, when I go to the local shows, I don't I'll bring it, but I have a like I wouldn't even consider it a backpack. It's it was a little thing they gave away at a Disney World. So it's kind of like a little that I got a Disney World cruise. When I went to a Disney cruise, it's a small little backpack that I just kind of carry with me. But those big backpacks are terrible, especially they cram them with boxes and boxes stuff. I mean, you're just bumping into people constantly with that. So I try to bring just a small, you know thing. It's bigger than a fanny pack, but it's smaller than a regular backpack. But you got to have something to carry your cards and you know, and when I go to the National or a bigger show, I usually bring some cards who sell or trade too, So I gotta have something to carry it with. Yeah, more like a satchel.
Speaker 1: Type satchel for your satchel exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, are you taking much to the National Landa to try.
Speaker 2: I'm going to take some. Yeah, I've sent some cards to CIA, but I'm also going to take some cards. Not necessarily am I going to trade or sell them if I don't have to, But if I find something I really want, then you know, I'll have some trade bait with me just in case. But you know, the stuff that i'm looking to sell, I'm trying to sell it before the national send it over to CIA and get rid of that. Or I always contact the doll they're going to be there, you know, like a Garrett or stuff like that from ball park memories, and you know, let him know what I've got and if he's interested, then I'll bring some of that stuff. But for the most part, I'll bring some cards that if I have to sell, I will, but you know, it's gonna be stuff that if I if I don't sell it, I don't trade it. You know. If I don't find anything I really want, I'm good. But if I need some cash, it's always good to bring some trade bait.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think it depends too on what you're looking to buy.
Speaker 3: I mean, some people go and buy cases of stuff for you know, five boxes or something kind of carry it, you know, and if you're like you said, if you're bringing stuff to trade, then sell you gotta put it somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right. It was a slow hobby news week, so scraping around for something. Did see the fact that a article came out this week in ESPN, which you know, when they're gonna talk sports, they're generally probably months behind our conversations generally so, but the fact that it's might get that many eyeballs being on that major of a site still makes it intriguing. And that is this article here, Uh there we go. Could box breaking be considered gambling or lottery? Is there any chance that the sports card industry is ever going to get any kind of regulation? I personally, I don't think we're a big enough fish to matter still, But any thoughts, uh, Orlando.
Speaker 2: I think they've tried to have some you know, we've had a few lawsuits by there, but it's not gonna happen. You know, the government's too busy trying to get their act together. So I cannot see any regulation coming down as far as breakers and things like that. I think, you know, the hobby is going to have to police ourselves. We're the ones that are going to have to, you know, look at these bad guys, you know, and we warn another you know, our own community or YouTube community or or publications are going to have to do our own plumbs down to you know, the bad guys or stuff that's happening. Like you know, recently, a UPS worker was literally stealing cards right from the post office and stuff like that. And those are things that we need to make people aware of. But as far as the government coming down, unless it's some huge thing, which you know there was. I mean I heard that there was one guy that was doing healthcare fraud and when they went to investigate, they had bought millions of dollars of cards and fancy cars and houses with the money that they ripped off the government. So the FBI did get involved in that and they found you know, cards, mantle to mantles and leaf jackies or a bunch of those he had bought the funds that they stole. But other than that, I don't see the government involved in any any regular at all. I think it's gonna be up to us and up to some of the companies like Whatnot, because a lot of it have to be happening and whatnot. I think they need to get involved and crack down on it. But what's happening now we're looking at eBay Live. We're competing against whatnot and eBay live more strict and they're the ones that are actually picking up certain people breakers that they want on their site instead of a whatnot who's taking whoever wants to come in and do it does it good or bad? You know it's it's it's gonna be up to us to police our hobby and let everyone know what's happening and who the bad guys are, who the good guys are my opinion, I have decided.
Speaker 1: Sorry, go ahead, Carl.
Speaker 4: I know what I was going to say was I found e Bay auction quite good to deal with the I've made this complaint numerous times before. The only problem I have with eBay is the horrendously expensive shipping costs, particularly to get to hear any. A single card that I buy that cost twenty bucks is going to cost me more than twenty bucks to get here, which I can't control obviously. And as you're undoubtedly where eBay basically banned, you're having direct negotiations with the seller. So unless you can work out nefarious ways of in code telling you and telling them you want to talk to them directly, it's fairly difficult. And in fact, ninety nine percent of them, if they realize that you want to talk to them directly, they will talk to you. But it's a bit tricky. But the other thing I was just going to mention, someone just put up a question asking me whether I was going to be going to the NFL game that's going to be played in Melbourne in September, and I most definitely am it's it's at the Cricket Ground in Melbourne. That's the largest part of me. The largest stadium we've got here holds just on one hundred thousand. And I'm a member of the club that runs that. And in saying I'm a member of the club that runs it, the club has one hundred thousand exclusive club at all and the NFL gave club members are first crack at tickets. You still have to buy them. But yeah, definitely going to that. That's going to be on our date September the eleventh, so it'll be the tenth you audate, which will be a Thursday, I think over there. No, it's getting a lot of buzz, a lot of.
Speaker 3: Football game's going down there and expanding internationally.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we had how long ago with it. It was about twelve ten or twelve years ago. The Dodgers and the Diamondbacks had their opening series in the baseball the Sydney Cricket Ground and my son and I went to that and it was hugely successful as well. I mean Australians will go to any international sport that comes. We are somewhat of sport's nut country. Now rugby is big over there. You have a rugby, there's a rugby. There's two forms of rugby Orlando, there's union, which traditionally came out of the public what we call public but win in fact private school system in England back in the nineteenth century. Union is considered gentleman's rugby rugby league which grew out of and it's a very similar game to rugby union. Not quite as brutish, I have to say, because reunion's pretty rough physically. But rugby league grew out of the mining towns in northern England originally and came to Australia in the late nineties. And rugby is extremely popular in the Northern States, Queensland and New South Wales. Not so much in Melbourne because Australian rules football grew out of a hybrid of rugby and soccer in Melbourne during the gold Rush period in the eighteen fifties, and even now, crazily Melbourne has this I'm trying to think. I think there's seventeen teams in our Australian Football League and it's a national but twelve of those teams are based in Melbourne, so it's incredibly It's still incredibly local in Melbourne but gets massive crowds. I mean every weekend at the cricket ground there's eighty thousand of the game. It doesn't matter who's playing. And they have games starting similar to what you guys have with your football now Thursday night, Friday night, Saturday, Saturday afternoon Saturday night. And because there's teams now, there's two Australian Football League teams in Sydney, two in Brisbane, two in Adelaide, two in Perth, and twelve or thirteen in Melbourne. And there's a new one about to begin. It'll be the nineteenth team based in Tasmania, the island state below us. It's very popular in the Northern States, Atlanta particularly.
Speaker 2: I know you mentioned basketball is popular over there. Do you think that bringing American football to Australia will help the American football cards?
Speaker 4: Yes, doubt of it. I know you collect that football cards, Yep, yep again vintage. I love the nineteenth and fifties US football cards. I think they're just pieces of art to be honest, But funnily enough, one of my grandsons, whose dad is the one running in the New York Marathon. He long story. He one played for an American football under sixteen team in his local city, Geelong, which is the nearest big city to Melbourne, and they actually won the National underage Gridiron Championship. He played in the Victorian team, and let me say, it's a fairly low level of entry in terms of quality of the game. But of course he was delighted to win. And I had said to him months before that if they won the tournament, I'd take him to the US on a American football tour. So literally as he walked off the ground, he said, when are we going to the States? And we did that last October November, went to games at Texas A and M Cowboys games. He has a great, great trip. But he answered your question, it's definitely they'll be. There'll be a boosting American football for sure.
Speaker 1: All Right, it's feeling like we are topic light this week, so I am thinking let's just pass it around the horn of what we got upcoming, and this just close things out rather than drag it out. So yep, Orlando, what's up next on deck for you?
Speaker 2: Well, I'll be going to a local card show next weekend, the for Lauderdale Card Show. But I think the main thing going on with me is what I what I talked about earlier is my podcast. I'm very excited to do that podcast with Sammy Thunder and Card Card Show Culture, and I'll be uploading the video today, so be on the lookout for that. But that should be fun. And just you know, getting ready for the National, you know, looking at my cards and seeing which cards I'm looking to take over there and what cards do I really love and what cars like. You know, I'm still working on consolate dating my collection some I have so many cards, you know, over so many years of collecting, that I'm getting to a point that really I need to focus some cards that I've always wanted, never been able to get or never to afford, and use some of my card capital to obtain some of those cards at the National. So that's what I'm working on, and I just can't wait to see everybody there. I know Hobby Hotline is going to have a dinner that they have every year. Unfortunately I think that's on a Saturday night. I think it is. I probably won't be able to attend that, but I'll be at the National Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, and I'll be leaving maybe their Saturday morning, but my flight leaves Saturday night.
Speaker 1: Well, I think John Newman was talking then he's getting a stage time for a hobby hotline even so that'd be interesting.
Speaker 2: If he invites me on, I'll be on and tell me about that yet, but I'm ready to go. Last time I was in the audience did that. I'll always be there to watch my so called teammates be there.
Speaker 1: Brody, how about you.
Speaker 3: I'm doing the smart thing and trying to save some money up for the Nationals. So I mean, if there's a card shop that or a card show that pops up, I'll go, but not lounded much.
Speaker 5: Gotta save up for the big show.
Speaker 3: But stay tuned on my socials for I'll be posting a ton at the National and different booths to check out and events happening.
Speaker 1: All right, and.
Speaker 2: Can we find you on the socials?
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm Brody TK on X and Brody the Kid one on Instagram.
Speaker 4: You're not on YouTube.
Speaker 5: I do have a YouTube page. It's Brody the Kid on YouTube as well.
Speaker 4: OKAYR Well, I'll subscribe as soon as I get off, I had a couple of questions for you all and I regarding the Semi thunder collaboration. What is that going to be hosted off your channel? Or he's how does that? How do we found it? Exactly?
Speaker 2: We're going to post on both of our champ all right, we'll be on the Lookout and we do a you know, it's about an hour show, and then we did a fifteen minute kind of an after show which we continue the conversation, and that'll be on the Sports on the Sports Call sports Car Clubhouse. All right, that'll be probably a fifteen to twenty minute kind of after show type thing of the hangover. Yeah, and you, Carl, what do you got going on?
Speaker 4: Quite so, as I said, I'm going to try and pull with regards to buying between now and next April, I would like to give a very bridge shoutout, but I'm trying to find an economical price. Well, one thing certainly won't be an economical price. I would love to get hold of a ticket to what was the Tommy Burns Jack Johnson fight at Raskas Bay and Sydney backing I think nine hundred and eight or nine and ten it's it's seemingly almost unobtainable, which which is not totally surprising. And and the other one that I'm trying to chase is the Babe Dietrixton cards considered Goudy card. I can't remember now sports sports teams, that's the one. Yeah, but again one does have certain budgetary constraints, so I just have to manage that. But other than that, fairly quiet time. Our football season is about half over. The team I follow in it as on the edge of the playoffs, having had a terrible start of the season. Funnily enough, the finals will start in Melbourne literally the day after the NFL game in Melbourne, so they'll be working twenty four hours after the NFL game to reconfigure the stadium. But other than that, quiet time will land it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Carl you channel, I thank you, simplical Carl from OZ.
Speaker 4: It's funny. My kids, who are both adults, they were somewhat amused when I said I was going to start this channel, and they said, oh, how often are you going to do it? And I said, oh, about once, maybe twice a week. And I think I've just repelled that, John, I think I've just recorded my seventy fifth video in the last five months, so I think I've been a bit obsessive. I've forward posted a few for the next few weeks, primarily on things that I've picked up, and I try and I'm going to try and vary this apart from anything else. I think a lot of people perhaps take the approach to people showing what they've picked up all the time as simply showing off, and I don't want to. I sincerely don't want to come across that way. The problem I have is that I get so excited about some of the stuff that I get I like to display it, particularly that mister Murphy card that you so kindly Orlando let me have a free crackout at the auction two or three weeks ago. We've got to do a video about that guy too, because he's an amazing character.
Speaker 1: Anyone who takes that approach and the comments negatively, I hope you are happier in the future, because clearly you're not happy right now because you're crapping on somebody who loves something and they're just excited to show it to the world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's true, that's true. That's true.
Speaker 2: So John, right now, yeah, a little.
Speaker 1: Bit while I'm o I can catch up with the chat at the same time. So here, thank you, good to see you again, John So. My channel, my personal channel's been dormant for about two months, but it's a lot of it's been busyness. One thing is organizing hobby puluse. Oh so I mentioned that earlier at the show July seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth. Starting at Friday night, the seventeenth, seven pm Eastern, and the Friday night is ended by Carlos so who knows when it ends. It will probably end Saturday morning the way those guys go. Uh. And then we're going to be all day Saturday, starting at ten am Eastern seven am on the West Coast for US, and what's.
Speaker 4: Happening site three am?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, sorry, Carl, I'll be the closing show Saturday night at ten pm Eastern is Sports Card Live. Jeremy Lee is once again simulcasting on this channel as well as his own, and then Sunday kicking off again ten am Sunday morning, and then the final show is going to be our normal four collectors live stream time slot starting at the ninety so yeah, twenty nine different show hosts overall.
Speaker 4: So what were those dikes again?
Speaker 1: Join July seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth.
Speaker 4: Okay, so got three weeks. Okay, And remember that streams.
Speaker 1: These are all live streams. I will have created playlists for each of the days so that if you just want to watch non stop all day long, you just fire up that playlist and they'll run the show to show to show as the day goes on.
Speaker 2: So remember that it's all frigniture for soldiers. That's what it's all about. Guys.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'll be great to see all the YouTube co creators on there. But the key is that we want to raise more than the eight thousand dollars that we raised last year, so you know, save a little bit of money before the National to donate signiture for soldiers. It's a great cause. And Brody anything else you need to say about that, because I know they're your friends.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, Tim's awesome. I like I said too. I would make sure you go on check out his eBay and follow him on X. He's always posting stuff on X and National too. If you see me, say.
Speaker 2: Hi, and he'll have a booth right at the National this year.
Speaker 4: He does not oh he does not this year, Okay, help can on don You will.
Speaker 1: Have all that information very clear. This year we're gone. I'm not working as an intermediary. I've had enough of trying to do that. I know it helps for doing real time, same day prize giveaways because then I know exactly who's done the charity and I can set up those wheels to spin, because the thing we do each time is every ten dollars you donate gets you a name on the wheel. And so there are various prizes. Once again, Scott from Reindeer Studios is generously offering his time to create a custom piece of artwork for the show. And there'll be various other prizes in the mix that are donated by some of our sponsors as well as just some folks in the community that generously want to throw a prize in the mix. And all that detail will be coming soon. I'm trying to put together the previews show as one of my four collectors released this week midweek, so so all that information should be compiled soon.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 1: Outside of that, I'm also hosting the live stream tomorrow that is nine Eastern. We've got just a group for a fun card showing of collectors. The theme for this is going to be where all picking our favorites or best or however they want to pick it. Card for each position major League player, you know, baseball. You know, it could be anywhere from a modern card to an old pre war card. I mean, I'm thinking about my picks. I've got a nineties card, an eighties card in the mix as well as going all the way back. So it should be a fun card showing. And then so like I said, it's my turn also for the pre record show, which I will be getting that information out this week as far as how the donations will work, as well as previewing a bit of who all the host lineup is and you know, giving at least the preliminary times before maybe people start to beg me to ask to switch. That's that's a lot of what I've been doing the last month is contacting all these people. You know, a few folks are on vacation, so then I bring in somebody else into the mix, and uh yeah, it's a bit of work organizing a twenty nine different hosts live stream over three days. So but it's all for a good cause and I hope you will all be donating generously for that. So that's all I've got for this week. So thank you once again to the chat it's you know, it's not a show without you interacting with us. It's always good fun. So thank you. We will be back next Saturday again for Hobby Hotline. So goodbye for now.
Speaker 4: Thanks for letting me on, John, thank you. Great to have you, Carl, thank you, thank you for listening to this episode of Hobby Hotline. I just want to remind everyone we are a live show every Saturday morning, eleven am eastern eight am Pacific on the four Collectors channel on YouTube.
Speaker 3: That's the number four, the word Collector's channel on YouTube.
Speaker 4: We hope to see many of you live on a future Saturday.
Speaker 3: We have a great interactive chat room and we always provide a link for anyone that wants to come on the show and chop it up with us.
Speaker 4: So that's a reminder. Every Saturday, eleven am eastern eight am Pacific, only four Collectors channel on YouTube. Hope to see you on the show.