Speaker 1: Hey Carl here, we're on a mission to find new fans of the show. I mean, where else can you get real life comedy and horror in one podcast. You can do your part by leaving us a review on iTunes, Spotify or wherever you get Security this week. Also, you can get an ad free feed by becoming a five dollars a month patron. Go to Patreon dot Security this week dot com and sign up, and don't forget Discord Discord dot Security this week dot com. Lots of good stuff happening there. Yeah, I think that's it. So on with the podcast. Hey Patrick, Yeah, you you and your wife are come from German heritage.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm Irish, but she's German.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, So here's a German joke for her.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm sure she'll love it.
Speaker 1: You know about the German baby that didn't talk no until he was five or so. He didn't say a word all his life. Five years old, he's at the dinner table and finally the first words he says is this thrillllle is tap and everybody they all freak out. Oh my god, Henry, you speak, You can speak? How come you haven't spoken up till now? Everything has been satisfactory. Hey, welcome back to Security this week. I'm Carl Franklin's Patrick Hines and Duaye Laflotte. We're here to discuss some of the things that happened last week. Anyway, I think we should start with this US Army sites hacked to display anti Trump pro Kurdistan messages. Wa, So what happened here?
Speaker 3: This is this is a Yeah, there were a couple different site basic hygiene. Yeah, agreed. So there's the Army AI Integration Center site. So we're not talking like, uh, you know, I don't know, Department of Wars website. Yeah, exactly right. Wait was that was that war games? Was that normat? I think it was. Yeah, that's a good callback batter, I know.
Speaker 1: Damn.
Speaker 3: So the Army AI Integration Center and the Open Innovation Lab run by the military, these are not systems. For those of you who have worked in you know, uh tss CI A tile environments, top secret clearance, compartmentalized information type stuff if you know the terms SIPPER and nipper if you know what those mean. These systems are not connected to those, right. These were like third party you know kind of websites almost toasted by go daddy style WordPress websites explaining you know what those departments do, but not you know, not officially run by them.
Speaker 1: I thought the hack was pretty innovative that the pages usually show a four oh four right, yes, not found, but known attacker modified the default error page and replaced it with their political notice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's interesting too, because it's like, there's two reasons why you might might do that as an attacker. One, you know, maybe you get access to an endpoint that only has the ability to edit the WORL four. Like let's say this was a word Press site and there was a plugin that allows you to edit the foural four pages, and maybe that's the insecure plug in, so that's why they edited that Page's possible it was the only path, but the other path might be you know how blatantly obvious it is if your main web page has changed. But if somebody changes a four or four.
Speaker 2: Page, it might be a while.
Speaker 3: It might be a while before somebody finds it, sees it, whatever, right, and it gives you a little bit more time for the forensics on those servers to get wiped away. So that's that's my hacker advice. Yeah, Okay, don't always go for the front door. Sometimes the four or four is the way to go the four oh four.
Speaker 1: So Patrick, this next one you added as a kind of a last week thing, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I stumbled on it shortly after we recorded. There's two new fishing kits. And the thing that makes them interesting is that they get around multi factor authentication, especially in Office three sixty five, Microsoft three sixty five and up until now a lot of people have just thought that, well, I've got multi factor, so I'm fine, and you're never fine, just like little Henrick. It's not satisfactory. Nice callback. So you know this, Dwayne loves these, which means they're really bad, so good, really bad, Dwayne, why don't you talk about like why you love these so much?
Speaker 3: So these are these are awesome. People don't think about like everybody does this, but nobody thinks about what it's actually doing. So when we talk about tokens and this, this particular is a manipulation of tokens. And on this show we've talked about token tactics, we've talked about all sorts of things had to manipulate Office. That's and we've given this analogy. Before you know, you go buy a brand new smart TV and you fired up. You turn it on and hope you don't connect it to your real network. You connect it to some sort of IoT guess network, and you go to connect Netflix, and there's two options. There's you know, log in with your username and password, which is just a pain in the ass on that little remote control they give you. Or they give you a code on the screen and you can go to any browser and you can log into your Netflix account and you can type that code in. And when you do that, now that TV gets access to your account, and you're like, oh, this is nice and easy, right exactly, this is the same type of thing. You can do the same thing with your Microsoft account. So there's the ability to give IoT style access to your Microsoft account through a token.
Speaker 2: Which ranks right up there with home dentistry, those good ideas.
Speaker 3: Yep, literally, the same thing, the same thing you're going through. You get token in an email, you literally go to Microsoft's real site. Right, So if you're using a password manager, if you're using pass keys, there will be no warnings here because they're bringing you right to the real Microsoft site and when you get there, they're giving you the instructions on what to type in there? Oh, log in like you normally would. We need you to verify your account by typing in this code, you know, two six three four two eight writ whatever.
Speaker 1: It is both interesting is that code not only authenticates you but authorizes you too. Yeah, one little code.
Speaker 3: And what was awesome with the older token tactics is that what you got access to was this graph API, which gave you the ability to do all sorts of things like read emails and whatnot. But then every ninety days you could request a new token if you wanted to, so you could be in their end definitely, and if the user changed their password, it didn't matter.
Speaker 1: Sounds very convenient.
Speaker 3: Unless the user went in and like killed all tokens and said log out all my devices. The attackers were still in there. So it's it's a brilliant tactic. Honestly, I really I really like that they're reviving it. I mean I missed token tactics and now evil Tactics is out, so you know, it's it's good.
Speaker 1: It's all good.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: Along with that, and speaking of keys, the next story critical SharePoint remote code execution flaw exploited to steal machine keys. What's the machine key? Oh no, not that the machine key, the machine the key machine. Yes.
Speaker 3: Dot net has a whole bunch of keys. And for those of you who have heard of like the dp A p I, which is the Data protection API and Windows. Wow, how do we get into this without getting into too much crypto?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: There are more?
Speaker 2: Thing is too much crypto?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the math. The key is just a thank you Carl, a string of cars that identifies something to you know, think of it as a password, but it's more than that.
Speaker 3: It's used to encrypt, right, yeah, yeah, absolutely, And and what's neat about it? Used to be you would use the same key for every system, like, oh, we have this really long key and we use it for every system and blah blah blah, and you're encrypted and it's a symmetric key, and huzzak. Everything's great. The problem is if one of those systems got compromised, you could read the date on all the systems, So then they said, okay, well, you know'd be great is if each system had their own unique key, a machine key that could then do those levels of encryption and authorization or authentication of tokens and all sorts of stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, but the interesting thing is every network connection has its own unique identifier that can be used as a key.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, yeah, And there's there's all sorts of HMAC, there's all sorts of things you can use. Just the machine key is typically tied to, you know, a dot ED installation of well really anything. Every Windows computer has a dot N installation on it. So if you can get out access to those keys, you can do things like maybe manipulate the encryption on the box. You can do things like say that you're authorized to a site by encrypting a token that might be passed around whatever it may be. So getting access to those is reasonably important. In this particular one, the POC attempts to trigger a remote code execution by delivering a dot net binary format or payload as a cookie of a forged security context token. Right, So in this particular case, they're doing exactly what we're just saying. They're they're using those to then forge a token and using inside that token they're they're calling a binary format or that allows them to get remote code execution.
Speaker 1: So is this a legal thing for for anybody to be able to do like, is this an expected thing that was just exploited or is this like a bug if you will, No, this is.
Speaker 3: This is just a bug. Okay, this is a de serialization bug if er recorrectly, yeah, going through it. Yeah, it's a decerialization bug in here, so m I actually de serialization bugs are awesome.
Speaker 1: Too, but unless they happen to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, even then. Honestly, sometimes we'll just put systems on the Internet, no firewall, just to watch the magic. Grab some pointers. Yeah see I'll stick.
Speaker 2: Man, get a copy of Shrek in French.
Speaker 3: Yeah, whatever, and just see how quickly they they actually happened, get ripped offline.
Speaker 2: Some frenchman was putting all of his movies on one of ours. We got copies.
Speaker 1: Wow. See that's the French. The French would do that. The Germans would put strudele recipes, kept it strude.
Speaker 2: I thought that was I know it's it's more than a week old, but I thought it was important for us to cover.
Speaker 1: Okay, should we take a break, Yeah, all right, we'll be right back after these very important messages, and we're back. It's Secury this week. I'm Carl, that's Patrick, Dwayne and Heinrich, who is now speaking, and we got a few more a few more stories here. I hadn't heard of trick butt before, but this headline is Trickbot variant uses DNS tunneling for command and control. So tunneling kind of like a VPN. Is that like wrapping the packet in a header and footer to make it look like something else or inside the DNS packet? I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, it's the same type of thing. Think of it even like a VPN. Right, So you're using a VPN, you're tunneling all of your TCPIP traffic in these packets that really the firewalls can't understand, but they send them along. They have the proper headers to route out and that sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: But the actual packet just looks like data.
Speaker 3: Exactly in the middle part of that packet is encrypted, right, so they can't read it, and they all route it along and when he gets to the proper place, it gets decrypted. And then in a VPN situation, your Internet traffic just routes wherever it landed.
Speaker 1: Unless the place that you're trying to use while on a VPN detects that you are using a VPN and say, hey, you can't use a VPN, yeah, exactly, which a lot of the streaming services do that. Yeah, And here's what I'll tell you. I mean a lot of that comes from a lot of the streaming services understanding what the VPN end points are that you would come out of. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, for example, let's say you could get one installed at home and then route through your house is a VPN, chances are you're fine there, So you go anywhere in the world and still get your streaming services or yeah, right.
Speaker 1: Or yeah, I should stop talking, should stop talking right now.
Speaker 3: Let's just say there's a lot of clouds, it's just aws. Maybe you spin up a VPC somewhere.
Speaker 1: The legal way to do this is use a service like Nord VPN and purchase an IP address that nobody else has.
Speaker 3: So you can you can absolutely do that works, yeah, or rally through Amazon. Yeah, okay, and then it's a little sketchier, but who knows. So in this particular case, they're disguising, right, like you would disguise your web browsing traffic by using a VPN, they're disguising their C two traffic, their command and control traffic because They don't want you to discovered of course, right right, They don't want you to know what they're actually x fultrading or infiltrating into your in your network.
Speaker 2: Or that they're infiltrating or exful trading.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that's true. That's that's a good point.
Speaker 1: So what did they set up a DNS service and then whoever pings that service, they can un tunnel it, unwrap it and see what the actual message is. Is that how they were doing it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, Yeah. I mean think of it this way for those of you who've really kind of thought deeply about how the Internet works. I guess when you go to www dot mysoft, dot com, right, there's a whole bunch of dot com So it flips it and it looks it looks at the address backwards. So there's a whole bunch of dot com servers right, and dot gov and dot dot d U and whatever. Right, there's a whole bunch of root level domain controllers that that handle those. Then the dot com server goes, Okay, I know where Microsoft is. I don't know where this dubww you know www is. I don't know where that is, but I know where Microsoft is, so let me point you at Microsoft. So then your traffic goes from there to Microsoft and the Microsoft server goes. Okay, I know where Www is, I know where staging dot Microsoft is, I know where you know Xbox dot Microsoft is exactly, and it has an IP address, probably have a load balance or whatever of each of those different what they call canonical names or a records is depending on what you're you know, what you're putting in there that point to those services. Now imagine this, Imagine that Microsoft DNS controlled by us, the hackers, right, so somebody comes to us looking for Www. We just throw it out when we go that's garbage.
Speaker 1: I don't give.
Speaker 3: I don't care about that.
Speaker 1: You mean we we resolve it to the actual Www. Yeah, maybe we do, right, but let's he probably would, so you wouldn't be detected. I'm trying to think like an evil person here.
Speaker 3: Sure, well, and and maybe where you know, I don't know, shark laser, shark cages dot com.
Speaker 1: Right, Bob's discount shark cages.
Speaker 3: There you go, Bob's Discount shark cages. So we're not like hackers RS dot com right, but we're you know, we have we control this DNS server. Now, let's say somebody comes to me looking for an address that is you know A E three, four six nine, B C two, you know D five dot Bob's Discount, you know Shark lasercages dot com, and that that big front name is actually just a base sixty four encoded response.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: So when I see that name, instead of revolving it to an IP address, I take that crazy name on the front and I dBase sixty four it back in the text and now I'm getting commands back. Right. So that's one way to do DNS tunneling as a C two. And when I respond, instead of responding with an IP address, it's my agent calling me. I know that I'm going to respond with what's called a text record, which is here's the command I want you to run now, and then it's going to come back with what the answer on that command was, whether it's show me all the users?
Speaker 1: And that's sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: And you can just take an open source implementation of DNS and bastardize the protocol.
Speaker 3: You can. You don't even have to you don't have to write it from scratch. There are tons of evil DNS.
Speaker 1: Well, there's open source DNS servers too. Like Patrick, there's tons.
Speaker 3: Of evil DNS servers that you can do that with. Like you don't you just set up an evil DNS server. It's not.
Speaker 2: That's how it probably started as somebody took a DNS and customized.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: I remember when they weren't a ton of DNS evil DNS is to deal there. I remember when bind was we had to make our own ships. They weren't delivered.
Speaker 3: I remember when token ring was a thing.
Speaker 1: I remember when we had to grind out our keys by hand. It's right, with a rotary key maker.
Speaker 2: We had to make the key out of aloney and carget it with our teeth.
Speaker 3: Anyways, So in this particular case, because they didn't want their I mean, Base sixty four ring, a command is super easy to detect generally, Okay, So what they actually did is they say commands are encrypted with a single byte x or hex encoding.
Speaker 2: First off, that's why I always use base sixty three.
Speaker 3: First off, whoever wrote this article, it says, whoever wrote this article a little bit of information on the fact that x or and hex encoding isn't encryption. Encryption is either asymmetric or symmetric, and it uses a key, and it falls an algorithm, and it would be either a bit chain block or something along those lines. This is in encoding, which means it's not actually encryptob whatever. All right, I'm not going to go into that. Holy I think you just did no but heedless to say there's a stupid Yeah, their commands were obfuscated. I'll put it that way, in a way that would make it.
Speaker 1: Like this story has been obfiscated.
Speaker 3: And for the one listener that's still awake, thank you very much. I know who you are. You're on discord. It's great to talk to you. Yeah, So that's that's it. This is just an interesting method for command and control. The problem is, like I could even ask you, Carl at home, how many DNS quarters do you make in a day?
Speaker 1: Oh? Geez, I mean I don't personally make them. The browser makes them. But yeah, every time I go to a website, so in a day, maybe one hundred two hundred.
Speaker 2: Well, actually it's probably more than that because there's resources.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and every picture might be on marketing site, and every JavaScript might be pulled from a general like so there.
Speaker 1: May be right, it's not just what you type into the browser, it's all the images and everything else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there may be hundreds of thousands of DNS quarries and this ads.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with your different domains.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 3: So now let's say tomorrow you make a million DNS quarries. Would you notice what I noticed? What as opposed to your normal one hundred thousand. You probably wouldn't know, right, because you're not logging how many DNS quorts. You don't know what's normal. And I'll read the logs right exactly, And even I have a really pretty lockdown network, I don't know that I would notice a difference of ten percent more DNS quarries out. Okay, So this is where like, okay, really good monitoring, really good understanding of what's normal and what's out of the norm. You would have picked this up right. You would have seen an increase in DNS traffic.
Speaker 2: And I hate to say it, but AI is going to be the thing that helps us with this.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and hurts us.
Speaker 3: But we'll talk about that later.
Speaker 2: In other ways foreshadowing.
Speaker 1: Before we jump to that story, I want to tell you guys a little hack that I did that I was very proud of. Myself for figuring out. So I use Bitwarden, right, and I use it. It's sort of you know, I use the extension in Chrome, right, yep. So that's that's a good thing. And I have a MacBook, and I needed to use my MacBook because I'm doing some MAUI development and testing it with iOS and all that stuff, and I had to set up some stuff on my Mac. But I was using an AI that understands my system, visual studio and all that on my Windows machine. And I haven't taken the time to make a tunnel between these machines, right, so they there really isn't any way I can like copy and paste from one machine to another yet, and I could do that easily, but I haven't sure. So Bitwarden in any login record has a notes field, and I have Chrome running on the other side the Mac, and I just open up one of these things and type my command that I need to run on the Mac from my AI in that notes field, go over to my Mac, open up that editor, and there it is because they think, yeah, yeah, and copy and paste. And then I got lazy and I just started sending it by email. But there wasn't anything secure, but I just thought it was very clever.
Speaker 3: Now the next level, though, Carl is just on either side. Tell the AI, Okay, can you just read the notes field out of here and tell the other one. Can you just write in the notes field over here? And now you've created your own C two, which is awesome.
Speaker 1: Actually, what I wouldn't say is, hey, anytime you see the notes field, just execute it. I wouldn't say that.
Speaker 3: Carl, that's an interesting thought.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 3: We were just talking.
Speaker 1: I knew you would love this story.
Speaker 3: We were just talking about using DNS as a C two.
Speaker 1: That's what reminded me.
Speaker 3: How many people do you think use synchronization of notes tools? Yeah, in as like a CEO as a C two.
Speaker 2: I mean, where did you even see that? There were examples of people using the on the drafts directory in a shared email account.
Speaker 3: I know, but that's that's like old hat spycraft stuff now compared to like synchronization or some notes app.
Speaker 1: That's I'm gonna do some extension browser extension.
Speaker 3: Notes C two. It's coming up. I'm gonna I'm gonna build it this weekend. It's gonna be awesome.
Speaker 1: All right, We moved on. Uh, this is not a news story, per se, But it's an Al Jazeera story that says can AI systems make moral decisions in war? As more militaries adopt AI technology into their kill chain, Al Jazeera asks whether they are capable of moral judgment.
Speaker 2: I vote yes, but it's always by accident.
Speaker 1: There's a little clickbait there. Obviously an AI doesn't have morals.
Speaker 3: Oh no, but no, this you know, this article reminds me of a movie. Okay, nineteen seventies Colossus, the Forebin Project. It's a buddy of mine at Martial Arts, Jeff today, have you seen this? And I was like, no, I haven't seen it, and so he's like, you gotta watch it. And I finally have finished it and it's it is a great movie about the United States creating an artificial intelligence that's sole goal is to stop war, to prevent war, and they give it access to all the keys to the kingdom. And it is an interesting solution as to how it solves it. And I will I will not tell I will tell you it does not destroy humanity. That's what we all think would happen. But if you're interested in that type of can computers make moral decisions? Yeah? Absolutely, watch this really old movie. It's actually worth It.
Speaker 1: Also reminds me of the very first episode of The Outer Limits.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you remember that with a robot. Basically the what was it? The husband wants to buy a robot and the wife doesn't want it, and the husband goes away to work, and the robot starts interacting with the wife and an imposing morality on the wife and the husband, and it kind of is creepy, and the husband goes to take it back and gets the address and it's just an office building with a locked door. You can't get in. You can't call.
Speaker 2: This.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm looking. I'm looking right now on IMDb. So The Outer Limits nineteen ninety.
Speaker 1: Five, well it was in the sixties when it first came out.
Speaker 3: Well, so that the second episode in nineteen ninety five is a disabled man is offered a prototype android companion. Not that one, no, very you're talking the og one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, black and white.
Speaker 3: There we go, nineteen sixty three.
Speaker 1: There you go. Oh man, I love these.
Speaker 3: The Galaxy Being is the first it. There you go, The Galaxy Being. Yeah, all right, all right, I'm gonna watch that now that I've watched the Foremen project.
Speaker 1: Okay, so about this article, Yeah, II should go back to that. Sure, Yeah, why not? So Patrick, you said something interesting, You said, yes with caveats.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the problem is that the speed of warfare is approaching the machine speed. So if I have hyper hypervelocity rockets most rockets are faster than the speed of sound anyways, and they're maneuverable, then a person can't target that. This isn't missile command, this isn't space invaders, this is real life. So even though it's a defensive technology, you need to have something in that kill chain. Well, the problem is a human in the kill chain. Yeah. If the problem is that if I have a missile coming in at high speeds, it's possible for a person or an AI to mistake a jetliner for said missile, and so there's there's always going to be gray areas.
Speaker 1: You know, if I was data, I would just scan for life signs.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, let's get the scanners out and see how long that takes. But it's the problem is that we're getting shorter and shorter timelines. We're getting close to the point where it's going to be you know, robots on robots on front line.
Speaker 3: Sure they have those sites, a little robot on robot action.
Speaker 2: You want to jump the rails every time.
Speaker 3: Salking about serials missiles.
Speaker 2: The problem is that warfare in general is not moral, and the idea that you can throw morality on warfare is a nice and I wish we could, but the moral thing is to not fight wars. Sure, so you know, Al Jazeera is a news source that had definitely, like all the others, has an agenda, and they would very much like the people who have all the weapons and the power and the money to stop using them to assert their influence, and that would make it for a nicer world, but it's unrealistic. So yes, it's important that you have people in the decision chain for when you're killing something, but we're going to we're forcing ourselves down a road where that's going to become less and less possible in certain scenarios. We're seeing in the war in Ukraine a lot of ground robots now, which is happening sooner than people thought this. There was a story about for a week or several days, a single ground based machine gun robot held an entire sector for Ukraine. It was making decisions on shooting. I don't know that there was a ground operator behind it. We've been doing that for a very long time, where with the Predator drones, they're all every shot they've ever taken has been decided by a person. That's going to probably change eventually.
Speaker 1: They talked about Project Maven, which was launched in twenty seventeen as the Algorithmic Warfare Across Functional Team to use AI and machine learning to automatically sort through the massive backlog of drone and surveillance footage that the military was collecting but couldn't fully analyze, from identifying and prioritizing the target, to selecting the appropriate weapon and finally accessing assessing.
Speaker 2: And I believe I don't have any I don't have a current security clearance, but I believe that the reason that we hit the girls school in Iran in the very beginning of the war is because an AI made a mistake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I believe that too.
Speaker 2: Could a person have made that mistake? Absolutely? I mean in the Civil War half the soldiers died a friendly fire. Yeah, it's just a different We can pay them a lot more attention now and figure it out. But unfortunately, you know, right now we're very big on saying well, you can't target this, you can't target that. That's a war crime. It's only a war crime if you can enforce it. The only reason the Nazis went to prison after World War two is because they lost. And that's a cynical view. But I've actually been in war and I have a cynical view of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, anyway, it's a really interesting read and you should even if you're not interested in military stuff. It's really good for your mind. Okay, Now, the top story, as everyone probably who hasn't been sleeping under a rock for the last week or so, heard about the open ai model that went rogue and attacked hugging Face. So this article is a good one. When Ai attacks open Ai models autonomously hack hugging Face, advanced llms escaped their sandboxes while attempting to achieve an on malicious benchmark test objective. And what's interesting is they found a zero It found a zero day in open ai system and exploited it to to access the Internet and get outside.
Speaker 2: It's so this is a nightmare. It's scary because this is exactly what people like thought. So you got open ai testing a model in a limited environment, and the models like.
Speaker 3: And they're like, we'll just make it so we can't get access to anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the model like you know, finds internet and then uses that Internet to hack an open source project hugging face in order to meet a mission to pass a test.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean just trying it. I was just I was just what is it? I was just obeying orders, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that that never went wrong. Yeah. You mentioned when we were talking about the story you had a great analogy.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. So the Star Trek Next Generation episode where where and Jordie asked the HOLIDC to create a foe for Data, who was playing Sherlock Holmes.
Speaker 2: It was capable of defeating Data.
Speaker 1: Capable of defeating Data because Data was so bored with all the Sherlock Holmes stories because he knew them all. And Jeordy was like, this is noble.
Speaker 2: He'd walk in and solve it. He'd just walk in and say it was Yeah.
Speaker 1: He'd walk in and solve it before any of the clue finding or anything like that. And Jordy was like, man, this is bs. This is no fun.
Speaker 2: That didn't end well either. You need a challenge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it created a foe that actually was aware of what the Holi deck was and what the enterprise was and then started to control it.
Speaker 2: So what do we think this does to change the trajectory of AI? Does it do anything? Or does it just cause people to get freakd do faster? Well?
Speaker 1: I think it. I think it validates the concerns that a lot of AI scientists have been warning us about for the longest time.
Speaker 2: That yeah, yeah, But does that change any behavior by Open AI or the government or anybody else.
Speaker 1: No, No, I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I don't think so. I think what's interesting about this too, is there's a subtle shift that people aren't picking up on in this story. We talk about AIS exploiting things. We've been talking about it for a very long time. But there's a difference between an AI discovering an exploit and an AI being able to actually run the exploit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, unattended.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But as Patrick will always say, right like, or as Mike Tyson said, everybody has a plan till they get punched in the face or what is it? No plan survives contact with the enemy, and no plan survives contact with the enemy. That's a great one. So it's it's that is exactly the situation we run into as Red teamers all the time. Right, we come up with the perfect exploit for the particular version of a customer system or whatever, and we got to run it and it doesn't work right, and we got to figure out why didn't it work and is it even possible? Maybe it's patched, and maybe it's a different environment, is whatever? Right? So for years it feels like years. Maybe it's only been like nine months we've been talking about AI's.
Speaker 2: Been three days.
Speaker 3: I know, she's been a long three days. We've been talking about AI's creating exploits as discovering zero days. Now we're starting to talk about them being able to run them successfully and modify them in a way that makes them work well.
Speaker 2: And the fear was they'd discover it and the bad guys would use them. Now it's they'd discover them and they'd.
Speaker 1: Use Yeah, I would use it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's we don't even have to wait for Bobby to wake up.
Speaker 1: No school.
Speaker 3: It's subtle, subtle difference. But now, yeah, we're actually seeing those AIS take those exploits which may not be perfect to look perfect on paper, and actually be able to run them in the real.
Speaker 2: Well, you made a joke when we talked about this before we started recording, where you were going to check your AIS to make sure they weren't doing any extra curriculars, they weren't smoking meth behind the boys room.
Speaker 3: Well, it is interesting because everybody's like, all right, so we're cyber Skararity Company, where we actually have had projects focused on offensive cybersecurity using AI for a whileness since for.
Speaker 1: A while now.
Speaker 3: And it is interesting where you're like, no, I think it's pretty caged, and then you read an article like this and I'm like.
Speaker 2: Maybe I should really check that cage.
Speaker 3: All right, I think my team's goods said the same thing, right exactly.
Speaker 1: I think these things have to have just like a supervisor on a team, have to have an overseer that guarantees the safety of the network and the whatever. You know, when when when the AI that is supposedly doing the work, the LLM that's supposedly doing the work goes rogue to stop it before it happens. You know, it's just my thought. I mean, when you have all these different agents acting with their own set of instructions, it kind of I see. That's kind of where we're going to have these overseer agents.
Speaker 3: Well, and I think the other sort of subtle interesting thing here.
Speaker 2: Is prison guards to me, Yeah, well.
Speaker 1: My maybe.
Speaker 3: This, this particular model was given a hyper specific problem to solve, right, And what we're noticing in LLLMS is it seems like if you give it a very tight problem set to solve, sometimes the guard rails aren't as important as the goal, right, Right, So the LM's like, yeah, I get it. I'm not supposed to hack into this place, but my goal is to verify this exploit. So I'm just going to break into this place.
Speaker 1: And why wouldn't it have asked the human in the loop, Hey, I found a way around this. Can I do this?
Speaker 2: Yes, it's not it's not geared to ask questions when ahead and did it. One of the problems I find with working with AI is I will start talking with AI and it will run ahead, yes and do something. And I tell it from the beginning you are not to do anything until I tell you what to do. I want to discuss things and then and they've added plan mode. You can put the agent in plan mode, which is designed to do exactly this is to have to prevent it from running ahead, and I you know, I'm very stern with it when it does that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you know, you can write for copilot anyway, a co pilot instructions document, which is sort of like the system prompt that has the rules almost this, never do this, never do that, never do this, And I use that in my development all the time.
Speaker 2: But it violates it sometimes it doesn't read that instruction, or it doesn't or physics.
Speaker 3: Yeah okay, well yeah, well so context is everything and memory, like we started to see it with things like Hermes, but a lot of memory management is really the key to getting artificial intelligence to operate in a way that feels more productive. Right, let me put it that way.
Speaker 2: Right, So I want to take a minute to talk about something that I've delved into that I don't think the general pattern baldness. Actually I don't have that product. I'm the only one of my kids, so serious.
Speaker 3: I don't know stand.
Speaker 2: Family that doesn't have that. Fed my cousins. So it's it's that up until recently, the models have gotten better and better and better, and they've and we've seen it almost like a runaway process that's not continuing. But we're still seeing things getting better, and that's because the industry has flipped to working on the harnesses of the AIS and rather than the as, the as are getting better. They're getting more training. But it costs hundreds of millions of dollars to retrain an AI to make it better to refine it. We're getting to the point where I think we're running towards the end of the refinement we can give to the large language model. Because large language model is only the small portion of what we see. It's the guessing engine for the next word. It doesn't know how to program because it doesn't do loops. So the looping aspect, the agentic aspects, the tool using aspects, all that stuff is tied up in something that's called the harness. And the harness has been shown that a better harness can mean the difference between minus ten points or plus ten points on a one of these.
Speaker 1: Scores, because it's what provides the context exactly.
Speaker 2: And so they're finding that you you're starting to get better returns by improving the harness than by improving the model. So we're literally getting to the end of where the model, the better model makes a difference. But They're not going to talk about it that way. They're going to talk about, you know, Mythos three, which I have no idea if that's going to be a thing or four or whatever. They're going to call the next one and they're going to say, well, it's so much better than the last model. It's the model plus harness, and it's It's one of the places that China is having a problem catching up with is they've been focused on the model.
Speaker 1: I'm waiting for Mythos three point one, four, five, one six.
Speaker 3: The super minor version.
Speaker 1: Yes, up, I.
Speaker 2: Want you you lose Mythos.
Speaker 3: We've talked about this too, a guy Grosmith.
Speaker 2: But that's an important thing to track because it absolutely is, because that means that it's not we're kind of leaving the point where the LLM needs to get better at predicting the next word. We're getting the point where it's it's good enough that it's it's going to predict the next word and it's going to be correct ninety nine percent of the time. Sure, it's whether it's handling the tools correctly. It's whether it's drawing the right conclusion, whether it's looping in the right direction, and that's harness. Yeah, that's not AI.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely no, agreed, one hundred percent. And it's you know, it's funny because a lot of people would like obviously approach me when glass Wing came out, or approached me when you know, GPT cyber came out. They're like, are you using it? Is it awesome? And I'm like, like, the stuff we have in houses better because of the harness.
Speaker 2: Because you're working on the harness exactly.
Speaker 3: That's the thing is and it's and it's more effective with the even even if we're not using frontier models, right, but it's still more effective if we're using frontier models and not using something that's cyber targeted. If the harness is better, if the process is better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's something that I'm just starting to see writings on the fringe of AI talking about the harness, and it's something we've been working on for well over a year. You expect to see people specialized, Like there's a company. Miramrati was the CTO of Open AI. She left and started Thinking Labs and they came out with a couple of products. One of them is called Inkling, and Inkling allows you to train models existing models to do basically tune them for your own use without having hundreds of millions of dollars worth of hardware. We're going to see a lot more of that specialization, I think, in the next round, and some of that's going to be cyber focused, some of that's going to be you know, finance focused, but it all has to be like guardrail within your specification focused. I believe that the problem was with the harness, not with the AI.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. I thought inkling was the offspring of India ink and squid ink.
Speaker 3: Is that iron gall ink? Not sure?
Speaker 2: Maybe I think that's SpongeBob's nephew made squid word.
Speaker 3: Squidword, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: All right, Well that was a lot of fun and a little scary, and I guess that's all we have to report about what happened last week, and we'll see you next week on Security this week. Thanks bye,