Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and kost E HD two Los Angeles, Orange.
Speaker 3: County O.
Speaker 1: KFI Radio.
Speaker 3: This is Mission Control Houston.
Speaker 4: Please call station for a voice check.
Speaker 5: Station.
Speaker 6: This is Amy King with kfi's wake up Call. How do you hear me?
Speaker 3: I can hear you loud and clear. And it's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 7: I've landed and his name is Amy k.
Speaker 3: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 8: This is.
Speaker 1: It is five o'clock, straight up, good morning. I'm Amy King.
Speaker 9: This is your wake up call for Thursday, May twenty ninth. As you get up today, still feeling like is it Tuesday?
Speaker 6: Is it Wednesday?
Speaker 9: Still behind thanks to the short work week, But that's okay. It just means we're closer to the weekend. Looks like it's gonna be a pretty nice one. I'm gonna get a little hot.
Speaker 6: But not not not horrible hot.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And of course we've got May Gray hanging around exactly.
Speaker 6: That's what it is like. You're waiting for it to burn off.
Speaker 9: It's just that weird, hazy kind of whatever that at least at my house, yesterday, it didn't completely burn off, which let me curl up on the couch and dive deeper into Handmaid's Tale. I told you that I watched the season and the series finale and wanted to go back and watch the first episode, and then went, oh, I'll watch the second episode. I'm in season two now, no, no, yeah, and it's season one. I think was the best one. Oh yeah, yeah, oh yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. Familiar, and there's so much that I forgot because I think the first one came out like five years ago or something crazy, so there's so much.
Speaker 6: I was like, oh yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 9: So it's kind of fun to rewatch it, especially when you have a bad memory like I do.
Speaker 6: Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call.
Speaker 9: The largest shopping complex and Pacific Palisades, plans to reopen in twenty twenty six. Officials made the announcement yesterday. Palisades Village is owned by billionaire developer Rick Caruso. The union representing more than thirty thousand grocery workers in SoCal planning a strike authorization vote next week. Workers at Ralph's, Albertson's, Vaughn's, and Pavilions claimed the grocers have surveilled members campaigning for a new contract, interrogated employees, and retaliated against union activity. A federal trade court has blocked President Trump's tariffs. Trump says he has the power to act because the country's trade deficits amount to a national emergency, but the three judge court found the nineteen seventy seven International Emergency Economic Powers Act does not authorize the use of tariffs. We're going to dig a little deeper into that with ABC Stephen Portnoy. He's going to join us at five fifty to tell us what that ruling means and then what's next. Always fascinated with prison escapes, I am authorities are now looking for the so called Devil of the Ozarks. ABC's Crime and Terror analyst Brad Garrett's going to join us in just a couple of minutes to tell us who he is, what he did, why he did it, and where he could be hiding. Israel has taken out the leader of Hamas in Gaza. ABC's Jordonna Miller is going to tell us why that could actually complicate hopes of a ceasefire in Gaza. Sleep of course, very important if you just can't get enough because of noise pollution. Who's responsible, Well, we're going to tell you at bottom of the hour, but a guy Hollywood who is suing because he can't get a good night's sleep.
Speaker 6: Really interesting story.
Speaker 9: Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The largest shopping complex in Pacific Palisades, has committed to reopening in twenty twenty six. Billionaire Rick Caruso, who owns Palisades Village, made the announcement yesterday.
Speaker 10: I am not a patient guy.
Speaker 4: I don't want to be waiting around years for this to get reborn.
Speaker 3: I want the community to come back.
Speaker 9: The shopping complex has been closed since the wildfire in January. Caruso says improvements will be made without using city money. He plans to use his own money to improve sidewalks, lighting, and landscaping in the area. Officials at several high schools in Orange County say they're upset over the transgender athlete policy in California.
Speaker 11: We wanted to register our concern with CIOF regarding their policies which allowed that to up to the transgender athlete compete at the same level.
Speaker 9: Doctor Mary Scott with Orange Lutheran High and others sent a letter to the California Interscholastic Federation or CIA, weeks ago asking the organization to ban biological males from competing in girls' sports.
Speaker 11: I would love for them to find an opportunity to compete. I just think it's a distinct advantage to have a genetic makeup of a male competing in a female competition.
Speaker 9: The White House has gotten involved in the DOJ is investigating where the California's law that allows transgender athletes to compete in girls high school sports violates the federal Civil Rights law. A seventh grader at the Merman's School in bel Air is one of nine spellers still standing at the Script's National Spelling Bee. Oliver Halcat advanced to today's finals by correctly spelling five words and also answering two vocabulary questions yesterday, a speller from Los Angeles County has never won the bee. A couple of the words that he spelled gob gobbe, I don't even know if I'm pronouncing it right. Polymorphism mashlum a alite sure and op opi he OPI Hi.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I wouldn't do well with a vocabulary part either. Let's see if you're going to do well as you head out the door and hit the roads this morning. Good morning, Will, Cole Schreiber.
Speaker 3: Good morning. Now, we have some slow spots.
Speaker 2: One of the slowest would be in the northbound side of the five right before Valley View crash in lanes there. There's also something northbound side of the five before Rosecrans.
Speaker 3: These might be one and the same.
Speaker 2: It's kind of hard to tell, but that's listed as an overturned vehicle. I'm thinking that crash is the same as the other one five northbound before Rosecrans. We also have problems up to the north in the new Hall Pass five northbound right around the old road. Three vehicles involved in a crash there. We also have issues I fifteen northbound in Main Street. That's an accident in lanes and it is just closed on the fourteen northbound between Avenue L and Avenue F.
Speaker 3: That's for cal transwer.
Speaker 2: It will reopen at six o'clock with Southern California's most accurate traffic reports.
Speaker 3: I Will, Cole Schreverer, thank you, Will.
Speaker 9: Let's say good morning now to ABC's Crime and Terror analyst Brad Garrett Brad. We just talked a couple of weeks ago about the escape of those ten guys in New Orleans, and now we've got another high profile prison escape, this guy called the Devil of the Ozarks. Tell us about him. Hello, Brad not working, Okay, Well, we're going to try to get Brad back. Shoot, I really want to talk about this because this guy, I know they've caught. I think they've caught eight of the ten in New Orleans.
Speaker 6: But this guy.
Speaker 9: Was a school teacher in Rogers, Arkansas, and then he became the police chief, and then they found out later that he raped a couple of people, and then now he's broken out of prison. So we're going to try to get Brad back. But while we're waiting, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Secretary of State Marco Rubio says the US will begin revoking visas of some Chinese students, in his words, including those with connections to the Chinese Communist Party or studying in critical fields. In the twenty twenty three twenty four school year, more than two hundred and seventy thousand international students were from China. That's about a quarter of all foreign students in the US. A federal court in New York has blocked President Trump's tariffs.
Speaker 12: It's a sweeping opinion from a three judge panel of the New York based US Court of International Trade. President Trump has invoked emergency powers to impose his global tariffs, but the judges say his orders quote exceed any authority granted to the president under the law that he cited.
Speaker 9: ABC Stephen Portnoy says the judge has ruled the constitution squarely gives Congress the power to set taxes on imports. The Trump administration has appealed and could ultimately take the case to the Supreme Court. Republican Congressman Mike Flood says he supports the president's trade policy.
Speaker 2: First administration of Donald Trump, he used terrassd very successfully to help us, especially Nebraska farmers and ranchers, with trade deals with Canada, Mexico, and China.
Speaker 3: We're in this thing now. He's doing what he knows how to do. This is going to come together.
Speaker 9: He says, now is not the time to pull back, but that the process is going to have to play out in court. Elon Musk has announced his scheduled departure from the Trump administration after leading the Department of Government Efficiency, or DOGE. ABC's Perry Russem says Musk posted about his decision.
Speaker 13: On X, Musk saying the DOZE mission will only strengthen over time as it becomes a way of life throughout the government. But it comes after a Musk publicly criticized trumps so called Big Beautiful Spending Bill for not doing enough to cut spending.
Speaker 9: As a special government employee, Musk was limited to a one hundred and thirty day appointment. That's a limit that could hit as early as Friday. The Department of Health and Human Services is canceling a contract with Moderna to create a bird flu vaccine.
Speaker 8: A contract with the drugmaker worth five hundred ninety million dollars was announced before President Trump took office to develop a vaccine against the bird flu, which normally infects birds but has also spread to humans. Maderna said Wednesday an early trial of its vaccine in about three hundred adults showed a rapid and durable immune response. HHS said, however, that after a rigorous review, they concluded that continued investment in the vaccine was not scientifically or ethically justifiable, Mark Ronner KFI News.
Speaker 9: Harvard University has agreed to give up some of the earliest photos of slaves. Harvard reached a settlement with a woman from Connecticut who says she's a descendant of two of the slaves shown in the one hundred seventy five year old pictures. One hundred and seventy five years didn't know that photos went back that far. The photos are being moved to the International African American Museum in Charleston, South Carolina. Actor and director Kevin Costner's being sued by a stunt double over what's been called a violent, unscripted, unscheduled rape scene.
Speaker 10: Devin Lobella is a stunt double and Costner's film series Horizon.
Speaker 3: Another man I met was on his way to kill everyone in that house. Hee might as well have been walking up to get the mail for all bothered him.
Speaker 10: She claimed she was unexpectedly required to be in a sexual violence scene that left her with severe emotional distress. Labella, the stunt double for actress Ella Hunt in the film, claims she was not told that Hunt refused to do the scene and walked off the set. She's suing for unspecified damages, an apology, and a requirement that the defendants undergo anti sexual harassment and violence training. Jim Roup KFI News.
Speaker 6: The original Chucky actor Ed Gail has died.
Speaker 3: Her warn Chuckie Want to Play.
Speaker 14: TMC reports he passed away in hospice Tuesday in Los Angeles. Gaale played the iconic killer doll Chucky in nineteen eighty eighth Child Play and also appeared to two other films in the franchise. Gail also had roles in numerous other movies and TV shows, including Howard the Duck, Spaceballs, and Baywatch. In a social media posts, as niece said her uncle has taken his final bow and is now headlining in the Afterlife Mark Mayfield KFI News.
Speaker 6: Ed Gail was sixty one, Spaceballs and Howard the Duck. All Right.
Speaker 9: TikTok video with hundreds of thousands of views glorifies the health benefits of water based cooking.
Speaker 4: The video shows simmering pots of veggies, noodles, and meats, with a caption that says, you started water based cooking and now your skin is clear, your stomach is thriving, and you recover from illness overnight. Other videos talk about how water based cooking methods like blanching, steaming, or poaching can help wind back Father Time like a gastronomic Benjamin Button. Critics countered with this is every day in Asian cultures that go as far back as five thousand BC and congratulations, gen Z, you've discovered soup.
Speaker 3: Michael Krozer, KFI News.
Speaker 9: Oh, the Dodgers take on the Yankees at Dodger Stadium. First pitch goes out at seven o'clock. You can listen to all the Dodger games tonight and or not tonight but tomorrow night and all season long on AM five seventy LA Sports, and stream all the Dodgers games in HD on the iHeartRadio app. The keyword AM five seventy LA Sports brought to you by Navian High Efficiency water heaters, boilers and the new NPF hydro Furnace. Learn more at navianinc.
Speaker 6: Dot com.
Speaker 9: When we come back, Israel has taken out the leader of Hamas in Gaza, We're gonna be joined by ABC's Jordannah Miller to tell us why that could complicate any hopes of a ceasefire in Gaza. Five point fifteen now on the wake up call's supposed.
Speaker 6: To be playing commercials right now. We're having some issues.
Speaker 3: It was a nice calming moment, though.
Speaker 6: It was a nice calming moment. Hey, guess who's up already? The birds.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so I was watching Sonny and Gizmo yesterday, Conor just give me a single signal whenever I can do whatever, and they they've gone out onto the farther reaches of the of the nest, so they're out of the actual nest and out onto the branches. And then the people who are making comments and the people at Friends of Big Bear Valley are watching everything and they're like, okay, so Sonny is out on the front porch. Now I'm like, what the heck does that mean? Well, that means that there's a branch that is out from the actual nest.
Speaker 3: It's really small too, Well, it's a twig.
Speaker 6: It appears to be a twig.
Speaker 9: But remember these eagles have you know, like five or six foot wingspans, so it's probably you know, like at least as thick as your arm.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think it's bigger than it looks.
Speaker 9: And then there's also a place called the attic, which is just a higher branch that's above the nest. So they're like, oh, Sonny is out on the attic. Well, one of them, I think it was Sonny because she's she's or he's older. We don't know if it's a boy or girl, is like four days ahead of the younger one, and was flappin' and hoppin' and just flapping in At one point was flapping and had its wings extended and just like well, letting the breeze carry it or you know, blow against it. And I was like, he's gonna jump. He's gonna jump. He's gonna jump, because they were in the official fledging time and it could happen any second.
Speaker 6: But we don't know when.
Speaker 3: We'll probably not at night, right, probably not at night.
Speaker 9: But now it's daylight and one of them's in the bowl of the nest, and then the other one is out flapping on the front porch, flapping and like really really far out as far out as you can go. It's probably I would say at least six or seven feet off the nest.
Speaker 6: So it's really fun to watch.
Speaker 9: And as we were talking about yesterday, you know, like at first there was almost like one hundred thousand people when they first hatched, and then the numbers watching on YouTube sort of dwindled, and yesterday I was watching and it was up again to like sixty thousand. Like people are really just waiting for waiting for the big moment. Yep, it's kind of it's freaky. It's sad, it'd be sad about it. I am. I'm gonna have to go to EA meetings Eagles Anonymous because I'm telling you, they just they're they. I've become very attached, and I don't think I'm the only one. But it's it's a beautiful thing. It's on YouTube. We can go to the Friends of Big Bear Valley website and take a look at that.
Speaker 6: Are we still in like no mode?
Speaker 7: Yeah, for some reason the board isn't cooperating. Okay, we can't play spots and we can't get guests, and so we can't.
Speaker 6: Get Jordana on the film or on the on the phone either.
Speaker 3: Well, you can't do anything.
Speaker 6: We can't do anything.
Speaker 3: No, like we had Brad.
Speaker 6: I know when we wait to him, he couldn't hear programming. Okay, okay, so let's talk about spelling me again for a second.
Speaker 3: Did you watch it? I didn't. Can't just talk about it? Did you watch it?
Speaker 9: I didn't because I was I told you I got sucked in the Handmaid's Tale and I'm just binging it right now.
Speaker 7: Well, one of them is way more exciting, I'll say. And it's not Handmaid's Tale, it really is, but it's fun. Well, spelling Bee is so much fun. Okay, Well, the finals are today. There's nine spellers left and guess who one of them? Miss Your phone is ringing, by the way, we think it's Jordanna. We're not going to be able to talk to you. Okay, we can't eat, we can't bring up with the phone either. An epic technological fail. It's a beautiful thing.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 9: So anyway, there's nine spellers. It started with a couple hundred and they've been eliminating. So now today is the finals and uh Oliver Halkat he's the kid from Merman School in bel Air, Brentwood, h And he's the one that's left. We had four or five from southern California, but they are got eliminated yesterday. And they are pretty impressive when you think about it, because like the Aolite, it's a e O l I g h T I don't mean, I don't know, I don't know. There's mashlum and these are words that I've never even heard of, gobby.
Speaker 6: Or go b g o b b e uh opaheh or op he o p i h I.
Speaker 9: And then polymorphism I've at least heard that, I have no idea what it means, but polymorphism p O l y m O r F p h I s M. And then along with spelling, they had to quickly uh or and correctly identify vocabulary words too, so they have to know what they mean. I would think that studying for that you just all you do is just read the dictionary.
Speaker 3: Instead of going out playing soccer.
Speaker 6: Read the dictionary. You read the dictionary.
Speaker 9: Or you could use the new AOL that rich Damiro was telling us about yesterday, where you put your notes into the AI and then it spits back a podcast for you.
Speaker 6: That might be a way to study who knows, who knows?
Speaker 9: Hey coming up in about fifteen minutes, of course, could be shorter than that.
Speaker 7: We're still dead on the board. I will let you know as soon as anything happens. Our engineers are running around and what I heard is not good is when an engineer leaves and says this is weird, this.
Speaker 9: Is weird, and walked out of the room, ran ran out of the room. Okay, So that means he's going to like Engineering Central. There's this huge room in the middle of the building. It's got all the servers and all that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is getting worked on. I wait in there once. It's very like every station has a box of some sort in there, and it's just creepy. Okay.
Speaker 6: So you want to make your brain fry if you think about that we have.
Speaker 9: It's a big room full of electronics about AI because they keep talking about how much power AI takes and how these servers. It probably looks like something out of the movies, like these massive warehouses just filled with servers. Yeah, and you got to keep them going and you got to keep them cool, which probably takes even more energy.
Speaker 3: All needs air conditioning, heavy air conditioning, yep.
Speaker 9: Or they should just build them in Alaska. Hey, I think they're building them like Texas.
Speaker 6: Is that ridiculous?
Speaker 3: Yes, where it's warm?
Speaker 9: Uh huh okay, uh five point twenty two on your wake up call. Ooh, here's something can you tell we're scrambling. I've got some newsy stuff, but I want to, you know, pepper it in with some other fun stuff. I mean, since we're we're in this together, I hope your alarm went off and is working, unlike our radio station, which is broken.
Speaker 3: We didn't pay the bill.
Speaker 6: That's probably what it was. I already didn't pay the bill. Gosh darn it.
Speaker 9: Okay, you know that I recently went traveling, had a blast, got to go, so just had the most amazing time. Got to go to Paris and to London, and I'd never been there before. I'd've been to London for like six hours just on a quick little stopover thing, but had never been to Paris or spent any time in Europe. So he saved up a lot and got to go, and it was absolutely amazing. And then I was I saw a story earlier this week. I don't know if you saw it about a guy who's like twenty nine years old. He quit his job, cashed in his four oh one K, and decided to sail across the ocean and he went, yeah, from I think it was at southern California and he went to Hawaii and it took him almost a month, and he took his pet cat with him, which, yes.
Speaker 3: Sailing with pix Phoenix. I don't know, I've seen it.
Speaker 9: Yes, I don't know how I feel about the cat having to go along, because if anything happened, I mean, you know, the cat's kind of dead in the water literally. But anyway, so anyway he did that, he just went, you know what I'm going to do it I have to go explore the world.
Speaker 6: So good on him.
Speaker 9: But how much money would you have to have in the bank to cuss to really feel comfortable quitting your job and going and traveling the world? Of course, somebody has done a survey about this. Here's the new magic number. Two hundred eighty seven, seven hundred and thirty one dollars. That's the average amount that Americans say they need in the bank before they'd feel comfortable leaving their current life behind to go and explore the world. The survey was done by Talker Research. They asked two thousand people what it would take to make their travel dreams of reality. And the other thing that's kind of interesting is that different generations have different ideas about the cost of so called freedom. So gen z Ers would take that leap, quit their jobs and just go travel the world for two hundred eleven thousand dollars in the bank. Baby boomers want a more substantial cushion, which makes sense because they have more life experience and they know that stuff costs a lot, So three hundred and thirty five thousand is what they would they would consider trading their current lifestyle in for a world of adventure. Some people are ready to take the leap right away, even on a tighter budget. One in six Americans, or eighteen percent, say they'd packed their bags with less than fifty thousand dollars available.
Speaker 6: Wow, I don't think that would you know?
Speaker 15: That would like?
Speaker 9: Well, it depends on how you travel, because we spent we did. We splurged a little bit on our trip, but we stayed within budget. But that fifty thousand would only last us about ten weeks.
Speaker 2: See, when I was young, young, I thought, ah, ten, I have ten grand I'm disappearing for six months?
Speaker 3: Probably not.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 9: The survey found that seventeen percent of Americans would not leave their current life behind for any amount of money. For these folks, the comforts of home and their established routines matter more than the allure of a far off destination.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 9: After traveling it was just like it was fun to be out of the routine, yes, and not have the same stuff and be able to do different things and see different things and not water the plants.
Speaker 6: I mean I missed the cats.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean I had somebody to take care of the animals. So I guess that would be the hardest part for me, would be leaving the pets behind it. And I would imagine if you have family, leaving the kids behind might be kind of hard to do for any length of time. I guess you could take them. But other than that, I would I would welcome the freedom and the spontaneity of that. About eighteen percent say they would try to slow travel, which means they would spend several months in each location instead of just going from one place to another, which I think would be totally cool too, Like you could go there really immerse yourself in the culture. You'd have to learn the language, obviously, and then go and go to the next place. But I was wondering too, like, if you did that, could you just go and not work or would you have to find work? And how would you find work? Do you have to get a visa to work.
Speaker 2: I mean, a lot of countries will not let you stay for very long unless you have either proof that you can completely support yourself with money already in the bank, or that you have a job sponsored of some sort.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so, okay, luxury isn't off the table. There are a lot of respondents say they would take it the high end way.
Speaker 6: That's how that's how I would do it.
Speaker 9: Seventeen percent want to splurge on fancy hotels and resorts, but twelve percent said they would use their travel budget to volunteer or give back to communities, which is also another interesting thing. We went to Africa and we did it kind of the five star way, and we went and stayed in nice hotels and then went out on safari and stuff. And then I've got a friend who's going there and she's like, oh, I'm going to go there and help build houses.
Speaker 6: And I'm like, okay, well.
Speaker 11: Good for you.
Speaker 9: I think it's wonderful. I think it's wonderful, but that like, that's not the way that I want to travel. So anyway, if you've got an extra two hundred and eighty seven, seven hundred and thirty one dollars. You just may want to take the leap, quit your job and head out. Yeah, I would like to take the leap to moving on to the next segment, but we are still in case you're just joining us and getting your day started. We're having some technical difficulties. So we were going to talk to Brad Garrett ABC about the guy who escaped from prison and he's called the Devil of the Ozarks. Really bad character, but I bet it would make a really good.
Speaker 3: Movie show Ozark. He's character from that show.
Speaker 2: This guy ex police chief, fool the guards, knows how guards act, fooled the guards into letting him out, letting him out.
Speaker 9: You know, yeah, didn't he dress up like a guard or something like that. And then there were he was the small town's first police chief. There's like four hundred people in the town, and so they kind of voted it in. But then they found out that he was responsible for some rapes and some murders before. And now he's serving time and now he's just out and he's been out and who knows where he might be, and then the guy's in a Louisiana.
Speaker 6: I'm still I'm just amazed.
Speaker 9: That all ten of those guys broke out by busting out a wall behind a toilet. They had some help from the inside, but they've caught eight of them. I just don't see how they think long term they can just disappear, especially with how technology and everything, and because they have people helping them. Eventually we're going to figure out who is you know, who's helping them. Okay, we got really good news for you. We're going to come back in just a minute. We're going to give you some more news. Let you know what's been going on while you were sleeping, and we're gonna get you some traffic because apparently we're up and running again. Sort of Yeah, we're not up and running sort of again.
Speaker 7: There's a workarounds. I would play commercials. Oh okay, other than that, no, okay, Well, we're going to be back. We've got lots more information. We're still hoping to talk to ABC Stephen Portnoy at the top of the hour. That's, you know, twenty minutes from now. We might have everything fixed by that.
Speaker 6: Otherwise, we're just.
Speaker 9: Going to fill you up with news. Let you know what happened while you were asleep. Glad you're getting your day started with us. Hope it's running a little more smoothly than it is here. But we're gonna to continue to go and try to piece things together and hopefully we're gonna get fixed. We're still hoping that we're going to get to talk to ABC Stephen Portnoy in a few minutes because this a court, a three judge court, has decided that Trump can't impose those tariffs. He's got sweeping tariffs as you know, that have been making the stock markets dive and rise and you know, just a huge roller coaster ride, and now they're saying, Nope, you don't have the authority to do that. So I wanted to talk to Stephen to find out, you know, well, who does have the authority and how is it supposed to do? And of course the term administration is already appealing, so we'll see what happens with that.
Speaker 6: But, like I said, hoping that we'll get to talk to him.
Speaker 9: Let's let's talk about some more of what's going on on wake Up Call and what we're following in the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A former stylists for both Sean Combs and his ex girlfriend Cassie Ventura say he thought Cassie was going to hurt herself when she ran off after a bad argument meant with the mogul, the rap mogul. Deonte national jurors in his sex trafficking trial in New York that he didn't report Comb's violence to police because he was afraid of retaliation. The trial continues today. Governor Newsom has proposed ending a program that increased juror pay in California from fifteen to one hundred dollars a day. The program was supposed to help juries better represent their communities, but after eight months some communities started opting out because of Newsom's budget cuts. Ending the program could save the state more than twenty seven million dollars. A runaway laborator retriever is alive and well thanks to a fast responding Weymo vehicle. Home surveillance video in Santa Monica shows the self driving car slam on the brakes, stopping just short of hitting the eight year old lab who had gotten out of his yard. Weimo says its vehicles have three types of sensors to give them a three dimensional view of their surroundings. We're going to is she on the phone. Now, Oh, well, you know what, we are having lots of technical difficulties, but we are able to talk to Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho. We got to business. Lots of things to get in your business. So let's say good morning.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 6: That's why you are, That's why you can hear me.
Speaker 4: You are.
Speaker 9: We always wonder what happens, what happens if all the computers go down and all the boards go down. Well apparently it has, but we're still gonna We're gonna muddle through, and thank goodness we have you to talk to. Because there's lots of stuff on the business front. So let's dive right into it. First of all, the Texas legislature, and this effects us in California is debating a bill to provide about one and a half billion dollars over ten years to try to lure film, TV and video game makers to Texas, which is a big thing in LA because we're trying to fight to keep.
Speaker 16: Them here exactly. Texas seems like it's coming for Hollywood. Also, New York has been rising in the film industry. Same goes for Georgia. So they're just targeting all of these But there is a condition here. And this is the interesting part of it all. Texas also wants to police the content of the movies and the show is getting made, so that's a big difference. This is where Hollywood can help, so productions that want a grant can't portray the state in a negative light, and judgment calls are up to a film commissioner that's appointed by the governor.
Speaker 6: Well that sounds a little bit like censorship, doesn't it.
Speaker 16: It seems to be, but you know what, there's they're trying in every way to be able to bring the entertainment industry to Texas. And in a couple of ways, the president has been trying to He met with John Voight, you know, the actor, and he's trying to get more tax incentives for the film and TV production. So this is something that you know, there's money available and people want it, but Texas is trying to come up with different ways to be able to get people here.
Speaker 9: It is really interesting when I mentioned and censorship, you think about like when we have big movies go over to say China, and then China pushes back against it and says, you know what, that does not paint us in a positive light, and so they'll make them or some of the movie makers will actually make changes to the movie to accommodate that. It's kind of interesting to see that Texas might be trying the same thing.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 16: So the bill, when you dig a little closer into it, it's going to offer special grants for productions that promote family values, use historic sites, and promote workforce development. But the family values, that's an interesting point there. There's also similar offerings for faith based projects, rural filming, and productions with a certain percentage of military veterans involved.
Speaker 9: Okay, Tinder, we all know it's a hookup site, but they don't like that.
Speaker 16: Yeah, so gen Z seems to be ghosting Tinder. That changed the dating game for millennials. By younger folks pretty much, it's a bit of accessible. I think we all think it's a bit of accessible. So if they're looking for love, they're just not swiping right. So here's the problem. The reputation is it's a place for hookups. Everybody has talked about that. So the Wall Street Journal is reporting that Tinder's team is trying to create low pressure ways for people to meet. So one example, Tinder has been testing a double dating feature in Europe where users can team up with friends and match with other pairs for dates. So that's going to be rolling out globally this summer, so a lot of people are going to be looking for that at least to get some changes. But you know, the dating game has changed over time and what worked for each generation.
Speaker 6: You know, gen X, it was the bar culture.
Speaker 16: We saw the rise and apps, and now younger folks are looking for different ways to be able to just have that emotional connection with somebody.
Speaker 6: They say, when.
Speaker 16: Tinder was going through some of the information that they were finding, they said, you know, it's not about numbers, it's about the quality of the type of meetings that people are having right now, and that's the big difference with gen Z.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Okay, so a little trip to Victoria's Secret or maybe you want to you know, buy something because you got a special date come on up or something you might maybe you left out on Tinder, But that's going to be an issue because Victoria's Secrets having just like caf I, having some technical difficulties.
Speaker 16: Yeah, so if you want to buy a little something today, you definitely can't do it online. So the retailers website. If you go to it, it's still down due to what it calls a security incident. It actually has something big that pops up if you bring it up that says they're working on it, and it has been offline for a number of days. They said this actually started over the weekend in certain cases, right after their Memorial Day sales. So sources tell us some employees have been locked out of their email accounts and Victoria's Secret has halted customer care operations and some distribution center operations. However, they say the stores remain open, but it is a problem if you go in there. They said some store services aren't available either when you walk in the door. So they say that the recovery is going to take a while. They really haven't disclosed what the extent of this incident is, but the fact that they're not able to get any online sales, which is a big bulk of the sales that they do. This is going to be a problem for them and going to definitely be an issue coming up when it comes to their earnings. Reports that Wall Street's going to be watching.
Speaker 9: Okay, and speaking of potential problems, I always get very nervous when I hear about new partnerships, and we've got United in Jet Blue teaming up.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 16: So this is something that Jet Blue has been trying for ways to be able to grow its business. It's basically focused mostly on the East Coast. They went through some failed mergers and failed partnerships and they've been blocked by the Justice Department. But today United and Jet Blue says they're teaming up. They're agreeing to a partnership that will allow travelers to use loyalty points and book flights across the two carriers. So they're calling it the Blue Sky Alliance. It's not a merger, definitely want to point that out. But the agreement is subject to regulatory reviews, so it may not end up happening, but some elements of the venture can begin as early as the swall Jeff Blue and United they're going to continue to manage and price their flights independently, and they're also going to launch a bunch of new routes. It's actually going to be a big deal here. We've been watching in New York because you can't fly out of JFK, which is our major airport here, out of United. You have to go to Newark Airport, and the other day I was driving to Philadelphia and it took me three hours to get to drive from my house to Newark Airport. So if there was something closer for a lot of New Yorkers, a lot of people would be happy. But unfortunately, you have a lot more of us traveling to you.
Speaker 6: Guys. You might want to not get not get us all on a flight and send it all over to you.
Speaker 9: Absolutely stay where you are, No, just kidding. Okay, what are we expecting in the stock market today? Because we had that big up day and then we had a down day. What are we looking for today?
Speaker 16: Yeah, so it's looking like an update. Stocks are looking at solid gains this morning. Well, first of all, a trade cord block President Trump's tariff. So anytime there's a blocking of tariffs, we do see the markets cheer a bit. We were much higher earlier. Today we're seeing a big rally now it's come off. DOUT futures are only up about forty points, but SMP futures they're up six tens of a percent. Another thing that we're watching too is Nvidia is seeing a nice pop in the pre market. The artificial intelligence chip giant it's big. Bell Weather delivered a solid forecast for sales this year. So this is good news for artificial intelligence because in Nvidia dominates in components that help run AI models. But it was a different story yesterday for stocks. They fell on reports that the Trump administration is moving to restrict the sale of chip design software to China, and the Doubt fell two hundred and forty five points. But one other story that we're watching for you today is model Hailly Bieber winning the Billionaire Beauty Club.
Speaker 3: She did it.
Speaker 16: She her beauty brand, which is called Road, was sold to Road that's her middle name, and it's been sold to Elf Beauty for a billion dollars. Road has grown rapidly since she launched it back in twenty twenty two. It has beauty skincare products. The big thing that it's known for is this peptide lip treatment. My daughter was actually talking about this yesterday when I said, oh, you know there, this sale actually happened. She's like, yeah, she's got this lip treatment, and then she was My daughter who's eleven, was explaining all of that. But it's supposed to like plump and moisturize your lips. This is what she was saying, but it just shows the power of influencers and celebrities. I mean, the fact that my eleven year old daughter knew about this just shows how much these celebrity brands have really come to fruition. Like look at Rihanna and her beauty brands, Kylie Jenner, Selena Gohman and her Rare Beauty. They all have now these successful labels. But again, a lot of it came from the social media and reaching out to people in order to be able to get them on.
Speaker 6: Okay, that's getting in your business.
Speaker 9: The extended version with Bloomberg's Courtney Dono because she's the only person we could talk to today.
Speaker 6: Courtney, thank you.
Speaker 16: So much, good luck today.
Speaker 6: Thank you Harry about that anything. They're going to be fine. As soon as handle gets here, they just leave us playling on wake up call. But it's all good. Thanks. We'll talk to you tomorrow, Okay, see you later, all right, Thanks Cortney.
Speaker 9: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Ice has been taking people into custody from courthouses in Northern California. Three people were taken into custody on Tuesday at the Sacramento Immigration Court in downtown and three from courthouse in San Francisco. Public defender Louis Reyes sal Savalza says it violates due process.
Speaker 15: It is unclear to us exactly who it is that they are targeting. Whoever they are targeting, These are people who are in court proceedings, already in immigration court, who are applying for relief in this country lawfully.
Speaker 9: Recent attentions have risen as President Trump intensifies deportations. A six four year old from Mexico may be deported despite her family saying she needs life saving care here.
Speaker 5: The girl has been called Sophia to protect her identity. She suffers from short bowel syndrome and spends fourteen hours a day hooked up to an IV feeding system. Attorney Rebecca Brown says her mother and Sophia came to the US legally on parole, but their protected status has been reversed by President Trump.
Speaker 9: All that Daisy wants is for her child to continue to receive the amazing care that Sofia is getting at Children's Hospital Los Angeles.
Speaker 5: The family is settled in Bakersfield, where Sofia is reportedly getting better, but the family says without the American medical team, Sofia could die within days. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 9: A thirty two year old therapist is pleaded not guilty to charges he molested an autistic boy in his home and Garden Grove. Prosecutors say Salvador Ariaga was working for Behavioral Health Works the time he's accused of molesting the boy in September during a session in the client's bedroom. A free mobile service that offers showers in hygiene products to homeless people in LA could be going away. Funding for the program, called the Shower of Hope, is not included in the cities revised nearly fourteen billion dollar budget. The program provided more than thirty seven thousand showers during the past year, about twenty three thousand of those in skid row. The program costs the city seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars a year. Metrolink is offering rides a new or a rider's rather a new way to stay updated on service alerts.
Speaker 17: Metrolink says the new tool creates a much needed way to let riters know about track changes, line closures and delays. Those who opt in will no longer need to search for updates through a variety of online channels or at stations, and will instead get the infocent directly to them. When signing up for Metrolink alerts, customers will be asked to customize how they prefer to get them, either by text, email, or both, which trains and stations they want in about, and days and times they would like to get the notifications. Deborah mark Koffi News. Some mother's been arrested for a drunk driving crash in Upland. She had her two kids in the car with her at the time.
Speaker 5: The woman crashed into a parked bright green colored jeep on Monday night. The Upland Police Department says she managed to crash into the brightest parked vehicle on the road. The woman suffered minor injuries, her two kids were not hurt. The mother is accused of DUI and child endangerment. The kids were released to a relative. Daniel Martindale KFI News.
Speaker 9: A mother bear and her cub have taken a dip in a backyard swimming pool in northern California. Video shows a playful little cub jumping into the pool in Auburn, Auburn the Mama bear coaxed it out of the water.
Speaker 6: Then must have thought, hey, a swim sounds like a good idea.
Speaker 9: Because then she jumped in and swam around, showing her cub how it's done. Governor new Simpson's President Trump's tariffs are negatively impacting dock workers, warehouse employees, and local businesses. A Cow Matters report shows the court had seventeen ships canceled deliveries in May the Port of Los Angeles I'm speaking about. That's compared to twelve during the same time last year. Ten have already been canceled for June. The US Justice Department says it will investigate whether a California law allowing transgender athletes to compete on female sports teams violates the Title nine Civil Rights Law. A seventh grader at the Merman School in bel Airs one of nine spellers still standing in the script's National Spelling Bee in Maryland. Oliver Hawkett advanced to today's finals. A speller from La County has never won the bet. We're just minutes away from handle on the news, but we are very excited because we get to talk to ABC Stephen Portnoy this morning. Stephen We're so excited because we've been having technical issues and have been able to talk to anybody today, so.
Speaker 3: By what an hour?
Speaker 9: It's well, yeah, I feel bad for everybody who's listening to Wake Up call, but appreciate them hanging with us. But I've been talking about hopefully talking to you all morning. Because President Trump lost another round in court. This one could be a big one.
Speaker 12: What happened, Yeah, I mean, look, remember, tariffs are are part of the President's agenda here because he wants to accomplish a number of goals. He wants to rebalance trade in America's interest, he wants to exact concessions from foreign countries, he wants to boost domestic manufacturing, he wants to raise revenue. Well, the court in New York, the US Court of International Trade, which here's such disputes, came in and said, uh, sir, remember that clause in the Constitution that says that Congress shall lay and collect duties, taxes, imposts excises all that, not the President. And therefore you have claimed unbounded authority that you simply don't have under the law, that you've exceeded any authority granted to you under the law, and Therefore, all the tariffs, well most of the tariffs you've imposed since you took office, those will have to be taken off the books.
Speaker 11: Well.
Speaker 12: The administration obviously appealing this to the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, which is here in DC, a little known court that deals with the actions of federal agencies. The administration the small is asking the three judge panel in New York to pause its own order, saying that not doing so would cause a foreign policy disaster scenario, destroy a carefully negotiated agreement with China, shatter other negotiations now ongoing. Well, we'll see what happens, but you know, ultimately will be this appeal. It could wind up before the Supreme Court. And the question is whether the President of the United States himself has the power to declare an emergency and under a law that's fifty years old, say that he has the power to regulate trade and therefore impose tariffs, picking a number essentially at a thin air ten percent global baseline, and then this formula based on what he perceives as a trade in balance with respect to goods, not services. And this mathematical form that they invented without the people's representatives in Congress taking an up or down vote on any of it.
Speaker 9: Okay, So Stephen in if everybody kind of followed traditional letter of the law, didn't make emergency declarations and all that kind of stuff, if President Trump wanted to impose tariffs, he would have to go to Congress and ask them to put together a bill and pass the idea.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 12: I mean, look, we make a lot of the fact that Congress doesn't do much these days. But Congress can pass a law. Congress can pass alaw any time it chooses. It's just this is a particularly unpopular idea in Congress. It'd be very difficult to get a majority in the House and send it to back tax on imports to this country because a lot of Republicans and a lot of Democrats disagree with the idea. So the president simply says, well, I was elected, I campaigned on this, I won, and therefore I will. That's typically not how our system works, and sometimes courts have to remind the president of that.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 3: So what's next the appeal?
Speaker 12: Yep, we'll find out whether the three judge panel agrees with the President that there's a reason to pause disorder didn't seem to me in reading the opinion last night, that they're inclined to do it.
Speaker 3: But we'll see, all.
Speaker 9: Right, ABC, Stephen portnoy As always, thank you so much for helping us make sense of the sometimes very senseless things going on in DC. All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four our newsroom. People who work for La City council members will not be getting a pay increase that was promised.
Speaker 5: The Ely City Council has voted to council a scheduled four percent pay bump in June because of the city's dire financial condition. Council aids have been scheduled for three races next month, in December, and again next June. Mayor Bass also says she'll take a pay cut. Her office hasn't said how much, but a spokesman says workers in the office are for going their raises too. The city council was given first approval to a new budget, closing a billion dollar budget gap, leaving hundreds of workers facing layoffs. Final vote is scheduled for tomorrow. Michael Monks KFI.
Speaker 9: News California Energy Commission will take public comments on a proposed lithium battery storage facility in Orange County. If approved, the facility would be built near the five Freeway in San Juan Capistrano. It would collect excess energy from the grid and then, during peak demand, would discharge enough energy to power about one hundred thousand homes. Astronomers have discovered a new celestial object in the Milky Way.
Speaker 17: The object is emitting X rays around the same time it's shooting out radio waves. Located fifteen thousand light years away. Signed to say this object could be a star, pair of stars, or something else entirely. The findings were published yesterday in the journal Nature. NASA spotted the X ray emissions by chance last year while focusing on a super nova remnant or the remains of an exploded star.
Speaker 6: Deborah Mark KFI News. Yeah, all that stuff just makes my head explode.
Speaker 9: This is KFI and KOSTHD two Los Angeles, Orange County. I want to say thank you for hanging with us, and it today was a wonky little day because we were having some technical difficulties and it always is jarring to me when you throw your schedule off, and so hopefully we didn't mess your schedule up too Bad, Live from the KFI twenty four hour Newsroom, I'm Amy King.
Speaker 6: This has been your wake up Call.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to Wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear Wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and any time on demand on the iHeartRadio app