Speaker 1: Trying to find myself and be happy. I'm being serious about that. I want to be beholden to no one at this moment, you know do I got lonely, of course, but I got cats.
Speaker 2: With with I show You're going ruin in be except with similar free pursuing it.
Speaker 3: Hold out shaw shame through the sewer? Kid? Now what chilling that think? Eagle?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: We doing it?
Speaker 2: Do your clock on the dot. Got a habit for my house or don't? That is how it started getting credit. Shows that enough multiply like a rabbit. Tune in so out break it up beat the habit.
Speaker 5: I hang out with our friends, rocking on the radio, my own boys gas me.
Speaker 3: Talking on the radio. It's time to do this WS again. Oh by.
Speaker 6: Christine up.
Speaker 3: All up my radio.
Speaker 5: Yeah alone. Welcome everybody on a Tuesday. This is the Ben and Skin Show ninety seven point one The Eagle. I'm Ben Rogers, joined by Jeff skin Wade.
Speaker 1: Eh.
Speaker 5: How's your back? Uh it's a little bit better, It's good. How was it look to you like the way I'm moving yesterday? You were not moving?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I'm worried about you every time. I just it in my seat I made that face. Yeah, you know you're about that look, got that look. I just don't know why they named Grimace that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: He just seemed like such a He was just a blob of purple Barney. Yeah, very similar to Barney. What oh could have been a she? Also joining us now with that commentary is Kevin kt Turner, the Pride and joy of only Texas.
Speaker 3: My pronouns are he him? But Grimas's pronouns I believe are he?
Speaker 7: She?
Speaker 3: Hmmm? Oh so he lives in the multisex. Thanks, so, yeah, all right, that's how you like to fantasize about it.
Speaker 5: Also joining us from Oatmeal Pizza, popular local Nirvana cover band, and she holds down nights here on the Eagle Christina Little Baby corn Bread Ray.
Speaker 6: Hi guys.
Speaker 7: You know it's funny Skin had to soar back after a weekend without kids, you know, came back with a sorer.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: So you're saying we need to get over there to see if we smash some headboards. Dude, there's not a single headboard left in my house, you know what I mean, because we went with a different look asthetically.
Speaker 3: Yeah, rid of the head boards.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Christina, you missed an opportunity to change your band's name to Oakmont Pizza in honor of the US Open. That'd have been great. Just this past weekend, they do a gig golf jokes golf. I do not hear enough golf jokes in my life, do you not. That's very sarcastic. That's oh my gosh, she's been sarcastic. That's about par for the course. We have the Benetskin Way Back Machine. We're gonna get it cranked up today. And actually I think we're going to go back. It's not even been in skin. We're gonna go back. Look at OJ right, of course, because thirty one years thirty one years ago today was the OJ Chase in honor of Jet. I need to ask you if you can grab this Ziggy audio. I didn't ask for this before the show, and I apologize. This is Ziggy when we were playing Fortnite and he how do you describe that audio? It was an ecstatic moment where his emotions climaxed while he was watching you. Okay, so we're playing Fortnite. He's on my team and there was one guy left and I'm the worst player in my team, and so all I had to do was kill one guy for our team to win. All my other teammates were dead, and so they were telling me, and you remember Shooter mcswagen had the crazy yeah, and so they're like, he's over there, he's over there, Go get him, Go get him.
Speaker 3: And then when I got him, it was there was a moment of ultimate satisfaction.
Speaker 5: Yeah, dude. In particular for Ziggy. Yeah, he had to immediately go clean his hands because his controller was dirty.
Speaker 3: One, okay, just good a shot. No way.
Speaker 4: More on Shooter. He's gotta shoddy. He's over here.
Speaker 5: So we had Ziggy, were you trying to celebrate? But there was kids asleep? And he was like no.
Speaker 3: I'm like, well, how does that make sense that you're going that's his normal sound of the highest form of joy?
Speaker 5: All right, Well that was a long time ago. I don't play Fortnite now. I play Call of Duty. Oh yeah, god God. I play war Zone. I play version five of COD I played the Witch. I played war Zone casual.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: In casual mode, there's supposed to be bots, so it's supposed to be a little bit easier. It's just little robots ring around that are easy to kill. No shame in my game, I don't care. I'll kill a butt. But I played with some guys who are really really good Doctor Pepper Hickson, Yep, and Cole. Those man right, always whipping up a fantastic mixer feast every Christmas time.
Speaker 3: Cole actually served on a nuclear submarine.
Speaker 5: That was his job. He was in the military, and so he was. He's spent his entire career, so he's seen a crazy ivan. So he probably has seen a crazy.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: And so you know he actually is military. He's not in the military now. But and so anyways, we're playing this game and we stumbled across something the other night, and thank god Hickson got audio it because now I'm going to bring you guys new audio with me. We stumbled across a guy. What you're going to hear is a little bit of chaos. Always sounds like chaos when you're listening to a video game that you couldn't see, So you'll hear all the shooting and all the top sucking and stuff. Initially, our team kills a guy, hell yeah, and then we move over to a tent. All four of us are in a tent and we kill another guy. And when we kill that guy, there's this thing called proximity colms, so you can hear the person you kill, you can hear what they're saying to their team. Nice, so we can hear what this guy is saying as we kill him.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 5: And he is communicating back to his team, and clearly he is pretending to be in the military. Okay, okay, because I wanted to listen the way that he ends his correspondence.
Speaker 3: Right on first killed, he said, don't do it, guys, don't do it now.
Speaker 7: Well, guys.
Speaker 3: Over, did you hear what he said? Four guys by the tent over? He said over?
Speaker 5: He is communicating with his team, and you have to assume that each person on that team is going, all right, I'm gonna run over here to this bystation over.
Speaker 3: I think there's a guy up on top of that building over. This is why I support legalized prostitution. You know what I'm saying. I don't want that. You know what I'm saying. That guy needs to have an outlet.
Speaker 6: I think, so, Ben, you don't know who this person is.
Speaker 5: So it's a stranger that we killed in the game. He was communicating back to his team, but he punctuated each communication like the military would on a walkie talking by saying over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, over.
Speaker 7: I think this is a famous streamer because we've watched videos of this guy pop in and.
Speaker 6: He does the boy like he's a famous guy.
Speaker 7: He says over and he talks like he's actually in.
Speaker 5: I would love it on the show, But all we do now is say over on everything. We say, Hey, I gotta take a break, Grab a glass water over under.
Speaker 7: My favorite is clear Cooms. Michael said, out a lot, Hey, clear Coms, clear.
Speaker 3: Coms, clear Cobs, clear Combs.
Speaker 5: They can hear what I'm saying, so clear coms it.
Speaker 3: It kind of just reminds me of the time we played Dungeons and Dragons with Travis Frederick.
Speaker 5: Frederick turned into a dwarf all of this. So that's fun. All right, We are off and running. Coming up next. What are some things you're tracking? Skin over?
Speaker 3: Coming up next?
Speaker 5: Ben Kyrie Irving did what thirty one years ago today that that oj you know situation happened where he tried to get away.
Speaker 3: What was it?
Speaker 5: The he's in the bronco, he's evading police, he's threatening to harm himself and just the chaos that ensued that thirty one years ago. Today, we'll crank up the wayback machine and take a listen to some of that audio coming up here in just about ten minutes.
Speaker 3: But right now it's time for this juicys. God, every stay on the top in the shove before we get to some movie news that would is gonna get Ben going and get him all bricked up over there our hell, Remember we deal r Kelly update last week, told you the Nazis were coming after him in the jail, and so he was saying, well, he's now doubling down on his claim that his life is engraved danger in prison. He's now claiming, through his lawyer, who sounds like a Jerry Jones lawyer, Bo Brindley, that he has been left bed ridden in a hospital after someone from the solitary confinement staff instructed him to take additional medication to what he was already taking, and that he almost had an overdose and he fainted and fell on the floor, crawled to the door of the jail cell and then lost consciousness and nearly died. Jerry Junior, get Bob Brinley on the phone, so you know whatever, we'll see we'll see member Kelly give follow up, quick follow up. You know what this reminds me of?
Speaker 5: Are you guys familiar with the i'l be sure story in regards to Diddy. No, I'll be sure as a legendary R and B guy from mining Ben's high school years into the nineties, huge famous sex symbol, all this stuff. He says that he was working with Diddy and then got sideways with him and Diddy poisoned him, and then he had a stroke and almost died, and so it wasn't it. It wasn't until all this stuff came out. Then now he's like, I'll be sure vindicated. So it's like kind of but I haven't heard any of it involved in the trial, but I'll be sure. Got real, like you could follow it on Instagram. He got real real sick, was in the hospital and he was claiming that Diddy poisoned him.
Speaker 3: So this is big for sly Stone and Brian Wilson because if Mark Kelly goes next, yeah, as the next famous musician. And always remember remember that that week in twenty twenty five when we lost three music icons sly Stone, Brian Wilson and the guy who wrote the remix to Ignition, So who are the guys that your ignition sucks? You need to time.
Speaker 5: His passing and Diddy's passing and then one other is there another CD person? Yeah, like somebody because if r Kelly's rather than have one guy who's got a CD background tainting the other two on their way into the Pearly gates, you don't want, you know, you want a grouping of three guys who've done some terrible things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they've all done a lot of drugs, so we're good there. It's just I think it's the it's the urination here. Yeah, it really takes it way worse, and maybe a couple other things.
Speaker 5: Really the Urination remix, that's a great drop where you go it's the urination and she goes, yeah, let's get been revved up here.
Speaker 3: So there was been a bit of a scuttle bit about Top Gun three. Yeah, I felt like what Top Gun Maverick could be kind of maybe maybe it went off the you could ride off into the sunset. But then they're like, well, top Gun three, there's no more mission impossibles to make. Yeah, right, And the movie insiders are like, oh it sounds this sounds like it's gonna be bad. The script doesn't sound good. Well, they've changed up the script, and here's what the director says. He says this.
Speaker 5: Wait wait, wait is it the same director who did the last one and just did Mission Impossible?
Speaker 3: The guy that I met?
Speaker 5: Did McCrory do the guy that no one cared about talking to? Wait, Christopher McCrory did Top Gun?
Speaker 3: Mavericke? Yeah, oh that's cool. Okay, guy named Kasinski because he did the movie. Kasinski did F one. Huh he did more on F one. I saw F one last night. We'll get to the dats on that at four forty. I love the idea of the Union Bomber doing all these action flicks. Uh no, so this guy is a different guy. And here's what Kasinski said. That the idea, the reason that he's excited about this is it feels like a new challenge and the idea behind Top Gun three is so ambitious, and that's what's exciting them to do, even though they've all acknowledged the perfect way to go out was Top Gun Maverick.
Speaker 5: Okay, so Tom Cruise, actually, since he does his own stunts, he does go to Mars.
Speaker 3: It has to be a space thing or underwater. That's the only what you just did underwater? He did underwater. Okay, he stops there. He stops the volcano from exploding with ludicrous and they fly into space in a car. They gotta fly the plane into the volcano.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 5: Ben Stiller is the one who stops the volcanoes in Scorcher Scorcher series.
Speaker 3: I never saw Scorches.
Speaker 5: You never saw Scorcher. H huh, you didn't see it. I'll send you the trailer for it. He was in the there were several of them. I think there was like five Scorcher movies.
Speaker 3: Are you serious? You guys didn't see these, never even heard of it? I do you guys haven't seen I'll send you the movies. I'll send you the trailers for him. Yeah. All the stuff our chain is getting tugged on right now. Okay, tug either way. Top gun Maverick good ninety nine percent, audience score, ninety six critics score. Stay tuned later in the show because Christina saw the latest Kasinski Zinsky gig f one last night with Brad Pitt. We'll get the full review and a bit.
Speaker 5: F one kill one Merry one can't wait. Ben and Skin Show ninety seven point one. The Eagle looking forward to Christina Baby Cornbread k Ray Ray Ray's review of F one, the new Brad Pitt movie. It's not coming out for a couple of weeks, but she saw it. She'll have the review for you coming up here at four thirty or so. But right now it's time for this.
Speaker 3: It's time to go into the biting schedule. Warburg, June seventeenth, nineteen ninety four was a crazy day for a lot of different reasons. There's a whole documentary on this. I think it's on Netflix now, but it was an ESPN thirty for thirty years ago. It's fantastic and it's really good. But there's a lot of things that happened on that day that, you know, get overshadowed by the fact that the OJ Chase happened on this day. One of them was the Nicks rockets. Yeah. So, like, here's the first thing I gonna say, is that earlier than that, that day, in the daytime, the first ever World Cup ever held in America kicked off at Chicago at Soldierville. I don't think I remembered that.
Speaker 5: I mean I remember all that happening, But I remember it being the same day.
Speaker 3: And we have not hosted a World Cup since then. We will be doing that in three hundred and fifty nine days.
Speaker 5: Okay, So, which famous former athlete is going to commit a murder and ruin the next World Cup?
Speaker 3: Who's the OJ of now? Right? Antonio Brown, Emmitt Smith Day, I'm kidding. I was just thinking of running backs who are really good? Who's running backers that's acting as in the media. Oh, Marshawn, Come on, man, I think we should just stop while we're at move on, casey yep? I like to move on?
Speaker 6: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: So then also happy that day, the New York Rangers are celebrating the Conley Cup parade with Wayne Gretzky. They're having a big time out there, World Cup, Stanley Cup.
Speaker 8: Bro.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, at Oakmont, where the US Open was this week with our winner JJ spawn, Arnold Palmer is crying and waving goodbye to everyone on Sunday afternoon because it's his final US Open. He retired during OJ Kilton the US Open at sixty five, you got to qualify, and he was qualify clearly. So he was sixty four years old. It was his final US Open. He's just standing there drinking a tea and lemonade. So you have all these things happening. And then we get to game five, Nixon rockets and I remember being on my couch, you know, and it breaks in. This is a father's day too, right, And it breaks in? Was this, Yes on NBC? It breaks in because it's NBC is a huge network, and here we go, which, by the way, if NBA is going to NBC, like NBC will have the finals next year, right, I think, so, so what if something happens, they have to break in. They are a news network. They're a major news network like UESPN had to break into anything, right, Like I remember being a kid being when Saturday Night Live got broken into because Princess Diana died, and I'm like, who cares show me my sketches? Like NBC's got to do that. MAVs are in the finals, game seven and someone gets shot. We got to zoom in, and they've got a bit of a quagmire on their hands.
Speaker 5: Well they can they also, though they have so many networks, they can say if you want to watch this, turnover to blah.
Speaker 3: Blah, go download Peacock right, But the OJ yoga. Do you guys remember any of this when it was going down Sunday night when you guys are probably hanging out night we.
Speaker 5: Went to we went and performed that we had a rap show though, Oh wow, yeah in the West End that I think that one Ben was in Deep Elm and I think, for whatever reason, there was something happening at Bomb Factory because I remember Cole Chris freestyling and actually rhyming about the chase.
Speaker 3: I can actually look it up on my setlist FM who was playing at the Bomb Factory June seventeenth, nineteen ninety four. Do it. There's no guarantee that we're going to come up with what we need here, but I can look it up. I can at least try. Is that all of me? I mean, like you, I guess you guys were you weren't have phones? You can just text someone what's going on? No, we were like twenty three years old, probably six. That was confused.
Speaker 6: That was four. I had no idea it was.
Speaker 5: It was insane, man, because you had been watching it unfold all afternoon like it you know, it started earlier in the day, and then also it was happening in California, So it was still daylight there when it was dark here.
Speaker 3: But okay, so the murder happened, not the murder happened days before. Have you not? Have you watched any of these documentaries. I've just watched the big one on that day. Oh my god, I've watched so many documentaries on this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the the and there's different aspects of it. If the one you're talking about, the thirty for thirty was the first one, it's really more about how that's the advent of twenty four hour media coverage. Yeah, I mean this OJ case pretty much turned the what is it?
Speaker 3: Court TV? Into a viable product. This was it.
Speaker 5: It's just a different era, but it there's no there's no internet, so it just dominated everything on every network. And so there was days leading up to it where there was chatter about what was going on. You're like, oh, j no, way, that's weird. And then suddenly the chase is happening. This is the anniversary of the chase, right, Yes, Yeah, that's when everything went sideways. What do you mean sideways? Because there were days just now everyone's just tracking it. Yeah, there were days leading up to it. You we're like, wait, OJ's involved. What I don't know, man, this doesn't come on. And then when the police went to go get him, and he went on the Bronco chase that's where everyone's watching TV because he's saying he's going to commit suicide. He's got Ac in the back seat going I'm with OJ. He's got a gun to his head. And the way it all unfolded because it was on the heels of all the racial tension and everything, and it was like they were like, la PD was terrified of making a mistake. Yeah, and so the they were it was they were really worried about PR and so OJ's lure is like, he's going to turn himself in. It was Kardashian, right, Yeah, he's going to turn himself in, and which was unprecedent. If there's a warrning out for you for murder, they go get your ass. They're like, no, no, no, he's going to turn himself in. Yeah, And then he didn't. He just got it went on this chase instead of turned himself in, because that's what an innocent man does.
Speaker 3: Yeah. June seventeenth, nineteen ninety fourth, the bomb factory in Dallas was the counting Crows, not on the August and everything after tour? What a what a tour?
Speaker 4: There?
Speaker 3: Zero chance I remember there was some bar or something.
Speaker 5: There's some club in the West End that was doing stuff that we did stuff, and I thought we were there.
Speaker 3: Rockle Bowl might have been Numb might have been Bronco Bowl. Was Oak Cliff? Uh? There was a West End place and I can't was it Woodies? I think it was. Yeah, okay, maybe Woodies that night. Can you look that up? I'm looking it up. Yeah, I'm getting was on at the Woodies sports Bar. It's like Menace Greg Gory. Yeah, yeah, those were the day. What a day though, thirty one years ago. Maybe we'll hear some more in the today game. Cool.
Speaker 5: All right, there you have it. That is the way back machine. Coming up next in a news quickie, harmless conspiracy theories.
Speaker 3: Let's take a look at some up neck give me that news quickie. Let's think about this. I've kind of been sitting on this for about a week or so. Something I found. It's kind of it's an article. It's about some harmless conspiracy theories of our time. Uh huh. Because there's a world where there were some really dangerous conspiracy theories, clearly, but about some harmless ones, and I thought this is kind of fun.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: One of them that they discussed this article was how Starbucks baristas were told to sometimes misspelled customers names so that they would post the photo on social media. Oh their Starbucks cup.
Speaker 5: So you know that's not a conspiracy theory, that's a marketing ploy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Barney, but they called me Barry, you know, and yeah, there's the cup. It's interesting play smart and harmless, smart market Yeah, that's harmless, right, it's not her anybody Paul McCartney's dead.
Speaker 5: No, don't say that. That's not breaking news. It didn't hurt anybody though, But that was the idea. Like look at the album art, the way they're walking across that crowd, their barefoot Yeah you never knew that Paul McCartney died.
Speaker 9: Thing.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, there's a whole the cover of Abbey Road with that Abbey Road. What's the one where they're walking across.
Speaker 7: Abbey Road and that's the whole, Like I am the Wolrus song too is involved in that conspiracy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's why he is he barefoot?
Speaker 5: So but now it's like that couldn't exist in this day and age, because like, oh, I just saw him at a Starbucks.
Speaker 3: But it's it's the fake. He's been stuck with that forever. You can hear him anywhere you go. You just hear someone who makes sense. Another one is that Big Bread paid toaster manufacturers to put in a setting that's too high so that people would burn the toast and then they get to sell more bread. Unbelievable. I don't buy that one one. It seems a little far fetched. But why do you need the toaster to have that setting that's too high where you put it in and it already burns.
Speaker 5: They view the tools to make your own toast right now. I think you do it that way in case the bread is still a little frozen.
Speaker 3: Wait frozen bread free? Yeah, you're deeth on it. Speaking of Frozen, another harmless conspiracy theory, The reason Disney came out with a movie called Frozen is so that when you google Disney Frozen, it doesn't show Walt Disney anymore. It doesn't bring up the story of Walt Disney being And of course the story of Ted Williams Frozen Head comes into play here. Ya tunic cans all a wild story but it's true and Walt Disney was a Nazi. Wait really is that real? Internet bro? Oh, the Internet said that. Okay, just look it up.
Speaker 6: Don't ruin my childhood please.
Speaker 5: You're talking about the conspiracy. The conspiracy, right, that's hespiracy that's out there.
Speaker 3: It wouldn't be harmless to him. It was harmful for his family or their brand. It's or the guy that we know named Andrew Disney. Yeah, yeah, poor guy. Yeah, another harmless conspiracy theory. Christina, we have to go to you as the expert on this one. Women's pants pockets are significantly smaller than men's pants pockets to encourage women to buy handbags and purses.
Speaker 7: They are smaller. Some don't even have pockets, which is just mind blowing to me. Like why, like even back pockets. I have a pair of pants with no back pockets, so that couldn't make sense.
Speaker 3: I don't know, kat, You wear those rocky mountains with no pockets in the most two? Yeah, that can't find them anymore. Skin You said women don't need pockets because men make all the money. Yeah, what are they gonna put in there? Christina? Legally I'm not allowed to ask you how big are the pockets. Oh my god, one.
Speaker 5: At you who was commenting on her jeans and how they fit her that day in the elevator.
Speaker 3: One day, I was asking if that was a new trend, the high jeans.
Speaker 6: And you're right, it is, did you right at the beginning of it too?
Speaker 5: It was we were sitting there in silence, and all of a sudden, he goes, you like those jeans?
Speaker 6: He was, He was right, that was a new trend.
Speaker 7: Uh, these are cargo pants somewhere right now, so they have all kinds of pockets.
Speaker 6: So screw whoever thought of that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, we need pockets, you sexist bastard.
Speaker 3: Now this one's a free Star Wars nerds, so I'm just gonna let you have this one. Here we go. Darth jar Jar George arbre right. Darth jar Jar was planned and hinted at in The Phantom Menace, but the sheer amount of hatred for the character made George Lewis back down. Who is George Lewis? George Lucas? Yeah, I said George Lucas, Okay, didn't I It's gonna have a hard cut sound. Well I've been trying not to say the hard sound anymore. On the air, right as you never know, right, Yeah, SCC won't let me be. It's the implications. I don't give a fu. Oh god, that should be the name of a place. I don't give a fu. Yeah, surely it is. They don't give it out. Yeah you gotta buy, Oh god, I love you know what's excuse me? The Ramen Ramin's dope, but fuzz got too much crap in there.
Speaker 7: There's like, no, it's delicious stuff, and there's only when it's cold outside.
Speaker 3: Yeah, true, not a summer food, summer ramens. Not thinking about that today.
Speaker 5: I thought we were gonna have a big outdoor meeting today in the heat, and I had a hot coffee with me.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I need to stop driving, giuse your ice coffee. There goes some harmless conspiracy theories.
Speaker 5: Less Harmless segment is brought to you by our friends at Twisted Root, the Magical Burger Company. They have it on luck. They got vibe, you know what I'm saying. They got vibe, They got style. They also got funny burger names. I'll give you an example. Tree Hugger, D's Nuts, Lowrider. These are all names of incredible Twisted Root burgers. And that's not all because Ben, you can build your own burger, yes, chef, you can build your own burger, put whatever you want on it, which I mean you're talking about one of the best burger joints in the entire state, Twisted Root locations all around Dallas Fort Worth. And just know if you go in to have one of these exceptional burgers from the Twisted Root Burger Company, if you mentioned Ben.
Speaker 3: And Skin, you also get ten percent off.
Speaker 5: Yes chef, yes, chef, Yeah, go full meat Picasso in this thing. Design your own, get the Ben and Skin discount, and do it with our friends Twisted Root Burger Company.
Speaker 3: But right now it's time for this.
Speaker 10: Now escol around the sports KTD twins as all the sports.
Speaker 3: Yes, Coco cock, Coo cuckoo. So what's Cooper Flying doing in town? Just hanging out as you running some wind sprints?
Speaker 5: He's getting intel on the culture of the team. Yeah, I saw that he was gonna have a dinner with Nico and other members of the Maverick front office.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, is that right?
Speaker 5: So Finley will be there and maybe maybe old Matt McCarty.
Speaker 3: Standard pre draft interview bs because you know we're going to take him. So it's a little different.
Speaker 5: Maybe Rick welts, but if he if he Matt and says that if he didn't like the Mavericks too bad, he could go I'm coming, I'm going back to college and call I'll be back next year. I don't think he can pull out, and I can. I mean, we're can't. You can't pull now they pull out. Now we're barreling towards the baby at this point. But there haven't players who have manipulated where they've gone. I mean sure, there's no question the elephant in the room is going to be He's got every right to ask them what happened with Luca and old Nico has to say, is Luke at it and go to Duke. We have Kyrie Irving, we have Derek Lively, the second, we have you. We're we're building everything in the model of Skryzhevski. Yeah, and there's a rumor they're trying to get one more first round pick. Maybe they're trying to get the other Duke get that's going to be in the lottery.
Speaker 3: They all lottery because how many first round guys they have?
Speaker 5: Just okay, the lottery, dude, Yeah, that center I'm blanking on his name.
Speaker 3: That's stupid. Athletic is considered mid to late lottery.
Speaker 5: Okay, but what do you think they'd be looking for to get moved back into if they wanted another.
Speaker 3: Pick, playmaker of some kind. Well, what about that Florida guard. I think he's the second round pick. I could be wrong.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you know it's it's if you look at how aggressive they've been on draft day since Nico has been here. I mean they they moved up to get Jaden Hardy, they moved up to get Derek Lively. The second they added Omax, They've they've gotten after it on draft day, just like Kevin Costner.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, he didn't get after it. It was a questionable process, but he got old. Jennifer Garner Man. His movie sucks, Horizon. It sucks so bad. To watch a little bit of it the other day.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna I'm gonna jump in on the third one when it comes on. It's bad because I want him go later in the timeline. Third one's gonna get made.
Speaker 3: I don't think it is either interesting. So Game five was last night? Could you watch it? I watched it kind of had like side attention on it. We were watching TV. I'm like, you know, watching some shows, then slat over the little TV just kind of have an eye on it, and then when it got to ninety five ninety three, my focus was over there. Did you put the hose in shows last night?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 4: Not really.
Speaker 3: I don't know what that means. Yep, but I really thought the Pacers were going to do it last night because they've just been doing it, and then they absolutely did not do it.
Speaker 5: Did I hear this correctly? Haliburton did not record a madefield goal. He got hurt four points. Yeah, Oh, he got hurt, So he missed a bunch of the game. Yeah, and he just and when he played he wasn't He has some sort of strain And that's the big story going in.
Speaker 3: I mean, it feels like it's over. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Again, it was a lot like Game one, except the Pacers one that they had a bunch of turnovers. Man, they had the best third quarter TJ. McConnell could possibly roll out and it got tight. But yeah, So one of the things I was going in, I was thinking about going into the series is how much of a badass is Jalen Williams or is he overrated? Is he just an All Star because he was the second best player on the best team, far and away the best team? I think he answered in this series and especially last night.
Speaker 3: He good. Do you have forty last night? Yeah? He good? The twelfth player, Yeah, he's really good.
Speaker 5: And uh I think Shay now has ten consecutive thirty point home playoff games.
Speaker 3: Think about that. Not getting it done in game four is it'll No, They'll take it to their grave.
Speaker 5: I want to their graves. I hate Okase. I want them to win. I just if where it impacts the Mavericks. I think it helps the Mavericks at OKC is not as hungry next year. I thought about that last night. I thought about you saying that you know what they could do after winning this title, then trade for Giannis or Kevin d Think about that, think about adding that to the mix. Would Johnnys want to do that? He saw what happened to Katie. Katy got scorched for going to Golden State. Man, it sounds like Yannas ain't leaving Milwaukee. It sounds like he has not sos for that. Hope he stays there. I do too, stay there forever? Yeah, jerks, that thing because I'm all Orlando all the time. Hell yeah, that's my East Coast team, that's my Eastern Conference team.
Speaker 3: I love Jamal Mosley. They traded for t Rex the other day.
Speaker 5: Did y'all see that video of Jamal Moseley and Desmond Baine dapping. No, so that's a video of the Magic put out and mos Because we've talked about this, Moses friends with everybody in the league.
Speaker 3: Everybody adores him.
Speaker 5: He dapts Desmond Bine so hard that Kevin Durant retweeted it and said the dap heard in Memphis. It's kind of saying, hey, look at all this love Memphis. Anyways, I'm excited about the Magic. I love their team already, but they're going to be good, especially if Kyrie's got everyone listening to Luke Bryan in the locker room. I might just need to be a Magic fan.
Speaker 3: And you're you're.
Speaker 5: Mainly a MAVs guy, but you do look like a guy who dabbles in the magic I do. Man, I'm gonna chase butting your type, all right. Coming up next, Christina is gonna give us a movie review. Christina, what movie are you gonna tell us about? And how do you want to tease this?
Speaker 4: F one?
Speaker 6: The movie with Brad pitt.
Speaker 3: The Stick, the Giant, Tickle, the movies.
Speaker 7: So last night I got to see a pre screening of the new Formula one movie with Brad Pitts just called F one. But before I get into the movie, I have to tell you all the guy next to me. So this is a press screening, it's packed, right, so we're forced to sit by strangers, sit by a stranger. Gross, And as soon as the lights go out, this guy next to me takes his shoes off, oh and foot up on his knee facing me.
Speaker 3: Oh god, And I just.
Speaker 6: Look at it.
Speaker 7: I'm like, and I throw my hands up. I don't say anything, and I lean over to Mike.
Speaker 6: I'm like, this guy just took his and shoes off.
Speaker 3: Was it Evan Grant?
Speaker 6: No, it was. It wasn't Evan Grant. But that's disgusting.
Speaker 3: I agree. But if these movies you're going to be two hours and forty minutes long, get ready for some shoes to Is that how long this thing?
Speaker 6: It was two and a half.
Speaker 3: All right, sounds like it was good.
Speaker 7: Okay, let me say okay, So yes, it was two and a half, but it's action packed the whole time. It goes pretty like there's no slow moments in this fel felt like two hours and twenty two minutes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if somebody, you know.
Speaker 5: If somebody forces their dirty sock on you, and that it's a you're free to just start farting on them, right, Yeah, you can actually fish it out and just set it on top of their foot if you want.
Speaker 7: I mean, I don't know what the right action is to do in that situation, but I, you know.
Speaker 3: Try to say something.
Speaker 6: I ignored it. I don't know. I leaned closer to Mike.
Speaker 3: I just like he took his shoe off.
Speaker 5: Yes, you say, hey, put your shoe back on, or move to another seat.
Speaker 3: I would.
Speaker 5: I just come on, Ernie, why are you doing that to Ernie? But I that's why I wear adult diapers. Yeah, it's not that I have to have him, but it's for convenience. And then finally when you need you know, turd warfare. Yeah, because then you you just fill that diaper up and you just sit there and bake in your own stink and make him live in it. And now if he goes off and goes and puts his shoes on, he moves to a different seat. Then you go to the family bathroom and change your diaper. Yeah, that's a good plan.
Speaker 3: It's fantastic.
Speaker 5: Okay, let me ask you this though, Why wouldn't you do this? Why wouldn't you pull out your phone and start recording? Go, you're not gonna believe this, Internet and all the people on my radio show, this person right here took their shoe off in a theater.
Speaker 3: Here's what they look like. Not a jerk. Well it's not a jerk. The jerk is a guy that took his shoe off. Yeah.
Speaker 7: It's a pre screening, so we weren't allowed to have our phones out.
Speaker 3: Oh that's why he did it.
Speaker 7: So yeah, I would have been kicked out, and I really wanted to see this movie.
Speaker 5: Well, while you're getting kicked out and say no, put my phone away, just make that guy put his shoe back on.
Speaker 6: Yeah, anyway, I.
Speaker 3: Can't sid did that? I start?
Speaker 7: So the movie I started out kind of in a bad movie because his guy with his stinky foot right in my face, but horrible.
Speaker 6: The movie starts.
Speaker 7: There's I don't want to give away what song starts, but it put me back in a really really good mood. As soon as the movie starts Foreigner, I didn't say anything. I didn't say anything. And so the guy I mentioned this earlier, the guy that directed this film is the same guy that directed Top Gun Maverick. And it is literally the same storyline, same everything, except it's Brad Pitt and it's with.
Speaker 6: F one Formula one. I'm not kidding.
Speaker 3: So a better actor and the same story, then you're gonna love this movie.
Speaker 7: It's no, it's it's fun, it's easy to follow along. There were a few moments. I don't consider myself like a Formula one snob, but I've you know, I've been lucky enough to go to some races and I watch it every weekend.
Speaker 3: I can you're the only person I know that's been to a Formula one race.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's it's awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So there were a few things that happened in the movie that irritated me because I'm like, there is no way that they would let this happen in an actual Formula in race. And then after story is like Christina, it's a.
Speaker 6: Movie, like what do you.
Speaker 7: Want some indie film on Formula one where they're just talking the whole time.
Speaker 6: No, you don't.
Speaker 7: You need action, suspension of belief, you need drama.
Speaker 6: And really it's all.
Speaker 7: And so we saw it in Imax and it was incredible because they have like there's some points where it's like you're in the car. You feel like you're in the car because they have it, you know, on the track and you feel like you're going two hundred miles an hour and you can hear all the cars going by you and everything. And so I really it's really a fun movie. And Brad Pitt takes his shirt off.
Speaker 6: A lot and he's still has abs somehow.
Speaker 3: How old is he sixty? Right? Does he go to sixty one?
Speaker 6: Sixty? He looks incredible?
Speaker 5: Does he go full Tyler Durdon? That'd be cool if the Tyler Durdon character.
Speaker 7: No, but there's there is one scene where he's like lying shirtless on a couch and I'm like, I wouldn't mind that poster.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeahja your bardam this movie.
Speaker 7: Sounds Yes, yes, he is the owner. Do you want the premise? The premise is out there.
Speaker 5: Did he have one of those guns it's just like a pipe gun that kills cals?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 3: Is he a Spanish team owner.
Speaker 7: Yes, okay, so he's the owner of this team that is doing poorly an F one, and so he goes he finds Brad Pitt, who was a Formula one driver over a decade ago. Course, and somehow he's just allowed to come back in and start driving again and try to save the team and also try to help out the other rookie driver that's on the team, because Formula one there's two drivers.
Speaker 5: And let me guess, he's cocky and he's a wild card, and you know he can't be tamed.
Speaker 7: Gotta watch the moviescan to find out. But what's another fun thing about this is so in Formula one you have a teammate, but you're still like racing against that teammate, like each person wants to win, but you also have to try to be a team together.
Speaker 6: So there's that anyway, So I really liked it. This is good. It's a good fun movie.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow, I've got a list is the twenty eight best auto racing movies, including a John Travolta movie that gets zero percent. Oh oh, oh, it's a boat racing movie. Tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Okay, he's a boat racer in the let's do this right now. So we have this, so there's twenty eight of them. I will set the higher lower bar for the Kenny Rogers Movie six Pack. I'll set it at number nine auto racing movies. It's an auto racing movie, Kevin. So I'll set the Kenny Rogers Movie six Pack at nineteen. I think it's also got Diane Cannon in it. Oh my god, I'll say it comes in at number nineteen. Let's go watch that tonight. I'll take you to an Imax and we'll watch it.
Speaker 3: All right, There you have it.
Speaker 5: There is a badass movie review from Pristina k Raid Little Baby corn Bread ray f one with Brad Pitt.
Speaker 3: All right, Yeah, I find some stuff like this sometimes and sometimes it's not good, but sometimes it is. Because I was reading to this and I was triggered by a few of these things. Top ten things that stress people out the most.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, hold on, everybody, think what your number one thing is because these are common things, right.
Speaker 3: Because it's get your heart racing a little bit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, write down what you think, just for you, what is the most common thing that happens that stresses you out? And we'll see if it's on the list. Maybe we have the same thing.
Speaker 3: Right, that's part of the fun.
Speaker 7: Okay, thanks for narrating all that one you're writing.
Speaker 3: Okay, good, Okay, it's a good drop.
Speaker 6: It's filling the silence.
Speaker 3: Number four part of the complete Yeah. Number ten, when they see someone that they don't want to talk to. Oh god, yeah, sorry, ururettes kicked in.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't know that that stresses me out, but maybe it is stress. It certainly can cause anxiety, right, and that's all part of that emotion.
Speaker 7: It is more anxiety. I just don't like going out. I don't like talking to people in general, you know. And so when I go out and I see people, I'm like, yeah, I don't really want to I want to have a conversation.
Speaker 5: My wife is screwed because my wife is so introverted. Yeah, now Ben knows this, like and y'all know this. Y'all know my wife, if she knows you, she enjoys hanging out, but like, she does not want to be anywhere. And I'm I have no inhibitions on that sort of thing at all. I'll go talk to just about anybody. It's fine, we'll figure it out. And she is stuck with me, and it's just such it's so bad for her.
Speaker 3: It's so bad for her because she she has to interact with people all the time just because she's with me.
Speaker 7: It's like draining, like pop will drain your energy and your emotions and everything.
Speaker 6: So I totally understand her.
Speaker 3: So good.
Speaker 5: I feel like I got lucky and that being a part of my personality that I don't have to deal with that because I know so many people.
Speaker 3: That do Number nine, A knock on the front door when you're not prepared for guests. Yeah, okay, so good. Excuse me. Yeah, I'm the same way.
Speaker 5: And I immediately think of the Wolf of Wall Street, where you know his dad is mad that someone's calling, and it's the same principle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my dad used to be the same way.
Speaker 5: Someone knocks the door and my wife, my mom's name was Ann, and my dad go and are.
Speaker 3: You expecting somebody? Is somebody expecting somebody? Who is this knocking on the door? Who is this? And by the time he gets the door, he's like, hello, how are you who?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: It acts so nice, it's it's amazing. I thought about this the other day.
Speaker 5: My dad was telling me a story of a guy that he knew Buddy has made a ton of money, like a ton of money selling cancer insurance policies door to door. That's a different era. There used to be a hole into of people that would go door to door and sell things and it worked. Encyclopedia's bottom vacuum cleaners, insure tupperware. Yes, people would just answer the door and let a stranger come in their house and give me a sales pitch.
Speaker 3: I mean that still happens to me. I feel like once a week.
Speaker 6: People knock on your door once a week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, roof roofers do that. Yeah. Now I've gotten to where if so, if I'm already outside, I will just kind of handle it like I'll see it and I'll just give them the the thing, you know, finger get out of here. Usually. You know what really works is now I've already partnered with a great roofing company like Pierce Ruf everything like that. You know, it's very incredible that's been to go too lately. But man, that this does stress me out, and I'm like, okay, I'm not getting that. I'm not answering the door. Okay, they don't get to look inside my house. Also, what I'll do is then I'll be up by the window looking out at them because they she's got the ring camera thing on her phone, but I'm watching them just to see have they gone away yet?
Speaker 10: Immute and you pretend no one's home. Act that's terrible way to out. I like to be terrible too, But uh, I do want to say. I don't want to just not get the door, because I think a lot of people before they rob a house will sending someone to the door to knock to see if someone's home.
Speaker 5: So I do want to let them know someone's home. But I'll just from you know, yelling distance, you know, near the door.
Speaker 3: Sorry, don't open the door for strangers. Have a great day, that's great.
Speaker 5: You know what you can do too, just to make it weird, answered the door with a gun, not pointed at them.
Speaker 3: Just hold a gun. Hey, what's going on with the rag? If you're it, I'm right people talking to them when they want silence. Uber's done a good job recently. A ride sharing companies have done a good job of giving you that option now where you can just click oh yeah, I want it quiet here. I don't want I don't want to talk now. Usually I don't mind whatever, but if you are in that like, hey, I kind of just want to like lay my head back for a second. You don't want to talk to them, you can like hit that option. I like that this option people are talking and you just don't want people talking to you. It's annoying. Number seven, when your old WiFi cuts out. We can't handle it. Oh, we can't handle it.
Speaker 5: I can't even handle a thing downloading anymore.
Speaker 3: Number One thing I think that'll make me lose my craft that I didn't write it down. It is that if we don't have fast internet going, what what are we even doing on this planet anymore? Agreed? Why isn't everything instant? Gosh, we're such jerks.
Speaker 6: Yeah, spoiled a holes. Many follow us.
Speaker 3: But if it's like, uh, the circle spinning, what I gotta do an update on my TV? Remember? Could you just change the channel?
Speaker 5: Every time I have thirty seconds before I join a Zoom, a Google meet, or a Microsoft meeting, I have to update the app.
Speaker 7: And I'm like, oh my god, dude, you know what's really bad. My Hulu and Netflix have done this within the past month at least twice, where it signs you out and you have to sign back in and type in your password and everything beating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I hate that so much.
Speaker 6: I almost don't even want to watch TV.
Speaker 3: I don't want to be around number six listening to someone chew loudly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm not a fan of that. But yet you like that? Was it called ms R? I don't really like that. What is that thing called? That's where they get the sound of everything?
Speaker 3: Ayr? Yeah, sound of someone salivating. Yeah, star, got to turn me on. Uh, phone calls when you're not expecting one's talk about earlier the door.
Speaker 6: Yeah, never answer.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I'm a bit of a cold caller. I'll cold call people. I will only answer it if it says spam risk.
Speaker 3: Uh, someone near them heavy breathing Number four. I just I don't know that it stresses me out, but maybe I guess so. I don't know that I've been around it in a long time. Yeah, we talk about riding the train to work, you know, or something you might have to deal with that.
Speaker 5: You're kind of looking over going, Hey man, there's everything okay there? And then he says, hey man, I stressed out when people talk to me, and I don't want it.
Speaker 3: That's why I'm breathing heavy, gotcha number three year alarm clock? Does that stress you out? I think the idea of waking up early and being late for something.
Speaker 7: Yeah, making sure it's actually on and your phone doesn't die.
Speaker 3: It's a little stressful.
Speaker 5: But if you just hear the sound of the alarm, like right now, you're just play your alarm, Yeah, it's stressful.
Speaker 3: Oh let's see.
Speaker 7: Has had someone's phone go off and it's your alarm like ring tone?
Speaker 6: Because it is. It's weird.
Speaker 7: I've been in the store and I've heard it, and it's like your body just reacts so bad to it.
Speaker 3: What is it like?
Speaker 7: So everyone's alarm has this different tone, right, but some people have that as their ring tone, like their normal ring tone. And I've heard it go off before and my body spazzes out.
Speaker 3: You're not.
Speaker 5: I don't think you're legally allowed to have it be the emergency alarm.
Speaker 3: System, right, don't let it be that one. The eas signal that one does get you. That does stress you out there, That will stress you out, which I guess is it's purpose. I can't you just said what my number one's dress thing is? What being late?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, nothing will will set me on edge. Then being late, I can't stand it. It drives me effing nuts.
Speaker 7: And that's when you hit all the red lights and all the traffic and you actually need to be somewhere.
Speaker 3: Yes, especially if you get in some sort of routine. You know how far it is from certain places home to work, home to wherever you gotta go. You kind of know how it's supposed to be. And then oh, okay, we're shut the street down today. It's amazing planned for that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's amazing when I was, Oh, why would you do that? I'm so stressed out now having such a good two s man.
Speaker 3: Then it just the coldness of it. It's just like, oh man, this sucks. Work calls, work calls.
Speaker 5: It is amazing that I was once a twenty two year old stoner that cared about nothing, and now I can't be late for anything without it.
Speaker 3: Driving me crazy. That's good. That's growth. Is it revolving? I'll stretch you out to get a growth. Number two text message alerts, number one, phone going off during a meeting, stuff like that. All right, what are we all write down in the back of our paper?
Speaker 5: Here, I wrote being late, being late, and it wasn't On the list, I wrote forgetting.
Speaker 6: To lock the door when I leave the house.
Speaker 9: Oh that's more anxiety, though, I wrote down danger, just danger, I voltage driving, driving and thinking about the future.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like you just spend a few minutes.
Speaker 5: Thinking about what your kids' lives are going to be like in twenty years and you're like, I don't I'm not having fun anymore. We're not going to see twenty years. Bro, escalate this war.
Speaker 3: My little like seven year old niece of the day just said, when are you going to be a dad? And I was like, well, it's irresponsible to bring kids into the earth things if you look at the future mine. Is anything wrong with the house? Just anything like, oh god, I got a fick something.
Speaker 5: Dude, I don't even I mean, I know this just sounds like dumb, bitch, bougie problem. But I just go out and I look at my pool and how much money I have to drop on it, and I just immediately want to die.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's just like so pain relatable. I'm like, why did we do this?
Speaker 5: Why did we put this thing, this money pit in our backyard? Idiots Like I can't wait to downsize right live in a house without a pool, live in a house without any room for my kids. Okay, but then you think about the future and realize your kids will never be able to buy a house.
Speaker 3: So how you get a down? So that was good, Kevin?
Speaker 5: All right, good stuff, Kevin. Ten little things that stress people out the most. Coming up next in the weekly Weekday Update, a deep dive in the quest to legalize gambling right here in Texas. Next, all right, it's the Bend and Skin Show ninety one point one the Eagle.
Speaker 3: Now today is Tuesday.
Speaker 5: On Thursday, we are going to be doing our show at the Omni Frisco Frisco PGA headquarters and we are very excited to be doing this because it's a big partnership with Roller Beer Works. That's the brewery that Ben and I are partners in up there in Salina, Texas, and we have big, big doings. It's gonna be so much fun. We're doing our show from three to six and the reason is is because Rollertown is a sponsor of the KPMG Women's PGA Championship. So we're gonna be broadcasting at the Top Golf Lounge this Thursday, three to six. If you are going to the tournament at all any day this entire weekend. You can go check out the Rollertown booth behind the fan zone, right behind whole number nine where they are all tournament long with our beer and all kinds of cool swag. And then of course you can find our beer at the ice House that's overlooking PGA Frisco.
Speaker 3: We love it out there. This place is so cool.
Speaker 5: It's a big epicenter of a huge event this weekend, and we're gonna be doing our show there from three to six. Now, if you don't have tickets yet and you want to get them, you can use the promo code Rollertown ten to get a ten percent discount on your tickets. But if you're going to the tournament, go and see us Top Golf Lounge three to six this Thursday. But right now it's time for this.
Speaker 8: And now it's time for Baance week Day Up Day featuring veteran news anchor kt fon tweets. Here are the important stories he's currently tracking from around the world.
Speaker 3: Okay, obviously it's June seventeenth, so a story that will be on the cover of Texas Monthly in July. It's a little weird that we'll be covering it now, but I got a little early access to this article and it was a big read and it was highly interesting, and it's about basically the quest I legalized gambling in Texas and how it has Let's say I taken a step back, oh, the last few months. Oh, let's start with how they had a big town hall meeting in March in Irving at the Irving Convention Center. And obviously, you know, resort space for the sands companies being discussed and all that stuff, and it's jammed with a bunch of people, but it's a bunch of angry North Texan people. We should also just remember that this is about a month after Luca was traded, Okay, so quite a bit of different time. There's no draft lottery to pull us out of the duldrums. If you're a sports fan, if you're neutral, you know you might not care. These people held signs that read don't vegas my Irving, and there were some flyers warning that predatory gambling breeds crime, failed marriages, and addiction. You've got a bunch of hardcore people who are like, I do not want gambling. I seriously think it's a mega sin you have that going on as well.
Speaker 5: So and let me just say, because I read a lot about this at the time, I was very interested in this because I was like, is this going to be the home of the next you know, Maverick's facility where they play their games and stuff. And there was one particular businessman council member in Irving. They zoned it in a way to where you can build a development with or without gambling. And all the people that were showing up and doing all the barking and freaking out and holding up the John three sixteen signs and all that, you know, they were saying what they were saying. But all the people on the council were like, are you guys idiots? We're Irving if we have a chance to pump money into this thing we're doing.
Speaker 3: This article is very eye opening with all that, Okay, this is this is good. So the town hall, the residents of Irving had brought their pitchforks, but whether they'd use them would depend on the performance of sans man in Texas. Andy A. Bude. He's a sixty something guy with stylish glasses. Andy Aboot is going to be the guy who's really trying to sell this to everyone works for Sands. Right, six weeks before the town hall. I'm just reading this paragraph. It's good. Six weeks before the town hall, they'd alienated the team's fan base in the most spectacular fashion by trading away Luca. Overseeing the wildly unpopular trade was like introducing oneself to Texas by peeing on the Alamo, just like Auzie, hey, we're here, what's whiz on the ALBUMO. I was like, man, that's a wild way to think about it. It's a good paragraph. So a Boode comes up, goes up on stage and he's gonna deliver his presentation and he's getting booed like crazy over the next two and a half hours. He starts to convince the crowd, like, you've got it all wrong. Sands is not the problem. Here's what's going on. Texas has the largest illegal gaming market. There's fifty three billion dollars in illicit gambling happening in Texans. In Texas, Texans are playing with slots on video terminals and convenience stores. They're placing illegal bets on their phones. He's like, it's unregulated and we're just wasting time. We could all be making money here if we would just accept it and then regulate it and get it legalized. He also said Texas was losing five billion a year to casinos in neighboring states. Yeah, probably makes sense.
Speaker 5: And honestly, Ben, it was probably a lot like the moose situation.
Speaker 3: They weren't booing him. They're saying, ah booo, it's just his name. Yeah, Now what you were saying about the city council members, here's one. Kyle Taylor said, this is a town that's always known as the ones who lost the Cowboys and lost the Byron Nelson. So he was like for it, but not everyone was. The crowd booed when he claimed that Sands was not a casino centric company but rather a tourism driver, he pivoted to blame shifting. What about ism, He said, quote, of course we have casinos, but you know what, you have sixty five thousand illegal slot machines in Texas today that no one's doing anything about. So that's his play. The evening goes on and he got sweatier and more combative. At one point, he accused the audience of being paid protesters, referencing the Oklahoma casinos which I don't think that's true, And the article that didn't seem like that's true. It says, in fact, though SANDS would sponsor supporters, hiring people to attend the commission meeting and Irving three days later, one recruit was offered two hundred and fifty dollars in free food and there's text messages they have is as a reminder you're there as a citizen, not on behalf of Echo Canyon Consulting, which is owned by say So. SAMs was paying people to go and support it, which this probably happy happens everywhere when there's like lobbyist involved. Yes, I would imagine would.
Speaker 6: That be illegal?
Speaker 3: I think it probably probably should. How are supposed to get to anything.
Speaker 6: Like fake support, fake booing?
Speaker 3: A boot said they had to be escorted out by the police every night, and it got bizarre and weird. It crossed the lines of decency. Others had a different takeaway. One person in Irving called it a total disaster. This is a twenty five year old city councilman, twenty five years old guy named Luis. He said for his side, he said it was amazing, it was a lot of fun. But he said by the end of it. The people were clapping in support of not supporting gambling, right, they were clapping to not support it, no, like we don't want it, because they were like enjoying that. It was a big riled up thing. Now, when we get back from a quick song, I'm going to tell you about a wild history. Did y'all know that there was a wild thing Irving happening with prostitution and gambling and it's now underground. I'll tell you about it in a minute. So we're discussing, you know, how this gambling in Texas could be legalized, but how it's kind of lost steam over the past few months. And some of those are from those meetings that happened in Irving. And another thing that happened there was a representative from Plano, a guy with the name of Matt Shaheen, and he publicly swore to kill gambling because he said that it links casinos to sex trafficking, which he's just being performative politics, it's what he's doing. Well, then the Addisons step in with the Political Action Committee and then they started doing a bunch of ads in his district, you know, saying that he was a moderate who voted against a bunch of good jobs, and that frustrated the Republicans a little bit. So even though Miriam Addilson is donating a lot of money, in fact more to Trump and Governor Abbott, she's also like one by one, like the company as a whole has a lot of political action committees who were dropping in money to run ads against guys who are trying to stop gambling from going through. It's highly interesting. But then there's a story in this This article kind of goes into the middle. It talks about this thing that happened in Irving. I did not know this, and I was just amazed. So there's a place in the nineteen thirties and forties called top O Hill Terrace, right.
Speaker 5: Okay, this is in the Yes, I'm telling you guys. Like the best thing about that book is that it's just a history of how politics, money and organized crime have been in this community and built it up since what like the nineteen twenties.
Speaker 6: Y basically twenty thirties. It's a great book.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So Topahoo Terras an illegal home for gambling, booze in prostitution, Vegas before Vegas. Some called it. Bonnie and Clyde went there Howard Hughes. What you have to realize though, is think about this.
Speaker 5: So when Ben and I were in high school, this is what's so weird about where we live now.
Speaker 3: Ben and I grew up in Richardson.
Speaker 5: When we grew up, when we graduated in eighty nine, Frisco was nothing but farmland.
Speaker 3: Like think about what Frisco is now. Six It was nothing but farmland.
Speaker 5: Yes, and actually, like McKinney, which is one giant strip mall now, same thing. Nothing like half of Plano was still farmland now all that's been developed. So when you talk about this, you have to realize there's the urban core of Dallas, but Irving was the country. Yeah, so you're talking about going to like a rural area and then out in the middle of that there would be some sort of a business that would be the front for it. Like it could be a it could be a restaurant or something or a hotel, and it's the front for gambling in prostitution.
Speaker 3: So downstairs, this place a plush room with roulette card tables, slots, booze, and women for hire. The police seldom raided, but when they did, they were ready because they had armed guards. In a watchtower and they'd sounded an alarm to alert the if the cops were coming. Yeah, and then they had basically as the cops were coming up a hill is a very long driveway too, so it took time for the cops to get up there. They could fold up the card tables and things like that, and then the guests would escape through underground tunnels dug into the hill.
Speaker 5: Pretty great, think about that. Everyone leave in the underground tunnel. The cops are coming.
Speaker 3: So now this casino is buried under our brick building of Arlington Baptist University. Yeah, which I didn't know Arlington Baptist University was a thing, but it's underneath that.
Speaker 5: So it's pretty crazy. And think I want you to think about this too. One hundred years is not that long ago. This is all within one hundred years of where we are now pretty much.
Speaker 3: So now we need to talk about a guy who had a big impact on where we stand today, because right now, thirty nine states have legalized wagering on sports. Texas and California are the biggest states by far who have held out New York Is already they're in now twelve Texas Major League franchises have joined forces with popular apps like badamgm FanDuel Draft, something called the Sports the Texas Sports Betting Alliance. All the teams are, the Rangers are in it right to think about how the Rangers are. The Rangers are in that. So just as in the old days, it's not hard to find ways around the law. It's very easy. You can go on Evada right now, get an account if you want. I don't like using it. I had a Blevada kept ten years ago. I don't mess with that. But you can do it like you can illegally bet if you want to. So that's a pretty good point. There's a been doing survey in the university from the University of Houston a couple of years ago. Seventy three percent of Texans support allowing destination resort casinos. Sixty percent support legal online betting on sports, and there's no difference of opinion between Republicans and Democrats. It might be the one thing that we can all agree on. But there's a fellow that they talked about in this article, and it was a guy who was a pastor from the first Baptist church in Fort Worth a long time ago, like nineteen oh nine, to nineteen fifty two. And I'm telling you in a second like why he's important to this story. But you need to know that there was a big day up in Frisco at the Star that happened Quoll. It sounds like recently that didn't see actual date on this. So all the people that were it was nineteen people in the house were going there, right down to Patry had representatives. Dan Patrick was there and there was just gonna go watch the cowboys practice at training camp. This is yeah, this is at the end of training camp last year, twenty twenty four. Right, So Jerry's hosting all these people and they're all hanging out. But dan Patrick brought Ed Young. Ed Young is eighty eight. He grew up sorry Houston's second Baptist church into a juggernaut eighty thousand members across six campuses. He had a TV show that was global. He counseled George W. Bush when he was a governor. He is a big opponent of gambling, and his presence at that hangout at the Star with Dan Patrick was enough to scare away a bunch of Senators from voting for legalizing gambling. Because there has been signs even Governor Abbott has said I think we should look into it, when in the past he's been like, hey, i'll know, because he's gotten a lot of money from Miriam Maddelson over the past couple of years to say things like that, and they kind of had their hopes of like maybe this will go through. And because Dan Patrick, but they all talked about him. They're like, he's so savvy. Jerry Jones is there, Jerry Jones wants gambling in Texas. Right, of course, they're all wooing, they're watching cowboys practicing. But Ed Young, who's eighty eight, terrified everybody. I don't even know that Ed Young's still alive now. Honestly, I really don't know that even got to that in the article. But that was crazy to me. And you know why, because they just told you he's in control of eighty thousand voters.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, that's why I was. Because he's rich. I don't understand.
Speaker 5: It's just it's and that's the thing is a lot of politicians can be swayed by new money. I really legitimately thought that marijuana and gambling would be legal in the next couple of years. But there's also really, really strong oil backed money that let's just call it religious money that keeps that thing at bay.
Speaker 3: So they said to watch the Cowich practice got autogressed from some of the players. Drew Pearson let one senator spouse try on his Super Bowl ring. That's a good thing over here, wining and dining the original eighty eight. But there's one big problem. Everything was going according to plan, which makes me thinking of Jerry and Miriam Maddison probably have talked before Zero dell I talk. Dan Patrick brought his pastor and that's the one thing. Another thing it says is at the twenty twenty five sessions, so this has been a couple months ago, they blanketed the airwaves with advertising for destination resorts. The word casino never used. Greg Abbott mentioned that he did not have a problem with online sports betting, but one lobbyist said in this article, sans's biggest problem is they have Las Vegas bully mentality. They think they can money whip everybody down here into submission, and it's just not going to be that easy. And the last session, do you know what came up recently the Texas lottery? Yeah, you know what? All that's about a distraction. It's a distraction. So no one's talking about legalizing sports gambling and it's easy to go. We can't even get our Texas lottery straight. How are we supposed to monetize this multi billion dollar thing? How are we going to have that organized? We can't even run the two billion dollar Texas lottery.
Speaker 5: And isn't it hypocritical to say you can have a lottery, but you can't bet on a hand of black jack?
Speaker 3: And it's the exact same thing. It is.
Speaker 5: There are games of chance, Yeah, they're games of change. I mean, it's the And there's a lot of people that will argue, like the majority of the people that buy lottery tickets are people that can't afford it because they it's hope. It represents hope for them. There's a lot of people that gamble that it represents hope for them. And so the whole idea of all of this, and again you're talking about you're talking about who has the biggest dollar, and so the idea that Vegas comes in here and thinks they can money whip everybody.
Speaker 3: They don't got the oil money.
Speaker 5: Texas was built on oil money, and especially if you look at these smaller rural communities where families became billionaires. Almost all of them represent like old traditional Christian values. Like I'm not even talking about new or modern Christian values. I'm talking about old style Bible study. And that is a very different mentality, especially here in Texas. Then what a lot of what I would just call your average Christian is pretty moderate in the way they view the world.
Speaker 3: The last paragraph of the article said, many capital insiders agree that the gambling cause has been set back years, perhaps a decade or more. Oh wow, Really that's a bleak outlook for the Sands company. But they see it another way. It means that legalization is just a matter of time.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 3: I thought we might be imminent when they bought the team, and after reading that article, I'm very clearly like, it's gonna be way past twenty thirty.
Speaker 5: It's gonna take it forever to get this past. Yeah, I mean they've shifted their focus again. They're building the resort no matter what. Yeah, they want the infrastruction. But here's the other thing. The old guard it do die, It absolutely do die. That's so interesting, man. And that's the cover story of the New Texas Mixas monthly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did July cover story heard here for the first time ever. A nice set.
Speaker 5: That's a amazing reporting by you to report on that report.
Speaker 3: I think I should get my maroney Ward what is it called? What do they give macaroni?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 5: Coming up next before we get to this, I'll never forget the time that Kevin looked Edward R. Murrow dead in his eye and he said to him DM me for socks and panty purchases. Oh no, and then he lost his reporting license. Christina is going to stick around and play some music right here on the Eagle.
Speaker 3: Here you going, well, I'm gonna get my sock back. Dude, A great summer lets You're answer