Speaker 1: He's depride of Norwich, Connecticut and an adopted son of Salt Lake City. After forty years with the Utah Jazz, There's no one better to talk some hoops. Richard Smitty Smith is back on the Drive on ESPN seven hundred.
Speaker 2: Richard Smitty Smith is back on the Drive on ESPN seven hundred live in studio. Smitty, Happy Tuesday, my friend, how are you, sir?
Speaker 3: Man? I am doing a good space. I had a good weekend. I had had the opportunity to uh to play a little golf, starting a long weekend on Friday with an all star foursome that included you right at the top of the chart and and Tim Howells and Wesley Ruff. That was a fun That was a fun day for me. And then of course the rest of my weekend went downhill. Because when you start right at the top of the mountain and you're hanging out with like the Mount Rushmore of Salt Lake City sports scene, and then you have nowhere to go but downhill. That's what That's what it was like for me.
Speaker 2: The Mount Rushmore of the Salt Lake City sports see me, Tim and west Ralph, you.
Speaker 3: Get well, hey, hey, you guys are right there. You guys are right there, right there. They're still they're still carving it. Sure it's still going on now. I imagine somehow, you know, soon President Trump will fit in there somewhere, because apparently he wants to be in all the all the stuff.
Speaker 2: But sure, sure, yeah, sure, well it was it was a pleasure.
Speaker 4: Thank you for the invite.
Speaker 3: Oh hey, Spence, you you are playing well for all of our listeners who here you talk about golfer going out hack or whatever you you are. You have a very nice swing and you can really tag the ball when you get a hold of it. Now, I like that. And I think it was sixteen at Bonneville. We were in the middle of the fairway and you had a nice I don't know what it was, one eighty or something and to the green and you hit it and the thing just took off. Yeah, and none of us knew where it went, and we just saw it fly over the over the trap and over the trees and over the next box and then it disappeared. And we looked at each other like that ball must have gone like two twenty thirty yards or something. I don't know where it went, but sir, I turned I turned to you, Spence. I don't think you hear it. Heard me when I said, Spence, they moved the green. It's over here. It's over here. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And at part five too, I blew it. I blew it so I put it over the green had to drop. Uh was able to get up and down, which was nice. But great to see Tim outse. I haven't seen him in a long time.
Speaker 3: Tim is Tim is a very good golfer. He's been playing all his life. And and Tim, you know, he really gives back. You know, he's been involved for a lot of years with the first T program here and here in Utah that that helps young kids get involved with the game of golf and and and exposing them to the to the game early on. And and Tim's been a big proponent of that and and the ahead of that for for for a while as well. And and uh it's still acted in that. And it was good to to hang out with him on the golf course.
Speaker 2: And for our listeners that may not be familiar, Tim was the general manager of the Jazz for a few years.
Speaker 3: The decade of the ninety Yeah, yeah, yeah, he was there for ten years, ten years ninety to two thousand and during the so called hey Day and and you know, and and when the Jazz finished their run and had won more games than anybody in the NBA during that ten year run, Tim called the meeting and said, boys, that's that's all I can do. And uh, you know, it's up to you. I'm out of here, and walked out the back door. And then I'm only team I'm teasing Tim on the air. But he he did a great job for us, for the for the organization all those years he was involved. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So shout out to sim Alison. Of course, Wes Rough Hall of Famer Wes R.
Speaker 3: Okay, right, Wes is gonna is gonna push back and tell you I was I was honored by the Hall of Fame. I was not inducted into the Hall of Fame. He's gonna you know, it's like, but but a great honor for him and way overdue in my in my opinion, knowing what Wes has done in the local sports scene forever as well as especially with the with the game of golf for so long. But you know that that that kind of reminds me that that the semantics in the language spence is a little bit like when you and I play golf, I know that there's you taught me a great phrase to use along with my buddy Chris Lino, who told me this a couple of years ago, said when he when he's walking to the cart off the green, and he said, there's a difference when the guy tells you I got a five, or he says to you, I'll take a five, and I know that's that's uh that in the same vein spence, I know you you walk off a lot of greens and just yell over and I'll take a four. I'll take it for I.
Speaker 2: Feel like I keep my score with integrity. But at times I'll I'll take a generous drive to maybe give myself a part.
Speaker 4: But who were.
Speaker 3: Supposed to do? Nicholas was one of the one of the obviously maybe probably the greatest golf ever and he's I heard him say time and time again over the years and interviews when people ask him for advice or about the game of golf, he says, people forget that that first and foremost, it's supposed to be a fun game that you go out and you enjoy it with friends and family or new friends or whoever. And you have fun with it. And people who get all wrapped up in what their score is or what the technicalities are when they're playing a fun round, you know, on on a Saturday morning, or losing sight of what it's supposed to be all about. You know, yeah, and it's one of the great people to be reminded of that lesson about right. We had a great time on Friday. We did fun to hang out with you guys. Thank you, no, thank you for the invite. Last thing on this and then we'll move on. Was one thing really changed my.
Speaker 2: Approach to the game where one of the really good players I play with, and he said, if you want to improve, you go to the range. If you want to improve, you go hit balls. If you want to improve, you take a lesson. If you want to improve, you grab somebody that can help you understand your swing. We're out here to have a good time. We're not out there like during the round because you can drive yourself crazy with every single minute adjustment you feel like you have to make while you're playing, But then you lose sight of the fact that we're outside for four hours in the sunshine having a good time.
Speaker 3: Spence, you know, me and you know my game, and you know it's it's it's really in the gutter most of the time when I'm standing around over the ball, and all of a sudden, I have eight different things I'm thinking about. I already know that I'm defeated. I already know that I'm only gonna maybe take care of two of those eight things on this swing, you know. And and when when that happens, you know you're you know you're in trouble when you're when you're trying to outthink yourself for sure.
Speaker 2: All right, well, let's do let's do the jazz stuff this segment. Then we'll save the NBA playoff stuff for our second segment. Smid, he's live with us for an hour.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: June twenty fifth is right around the corner. Yeah, so weeks away from the NBA Draft. Uh, I will be anchoring our coverage with you and Gordy. Can't wait for it. That's gonna be awesome. We're gonna have a good time. What as somebody that were you know, was in these rooms for basically four decades? What what what's the process like right now? Is weeks before the draft, we're here and so it's kind of go time. What's what's happening to prepare for this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so now Spence uh the the the NBA personnel. The last few weeks, they've gotten through the UH the NBA Pre Draft Camp, which is a couple of weeks ago in Chicago. Following that, then there were a bunch of what we call agent workouts, most of them centered in two areas in Chicago while they're at the pre draft camp. Right after that, some agents would organize some individual workouts for for their their players, their their draft eligible players, and then almost all of that group get on separate flights and fly to the LA area. And then they spend last week about a four or five day period prior to the Memorial Day weekend getting going to agent workouts in Thousand Oaks, in Santa Monica, in Huntington Beach, and in various places on north of LA And they're all in different gyms, and you always they're coordinating with each other about you know, who's gonna have a workout at ten in the morning and with their five guys and all the all the people from the teams want to be there, and so they don't want to miss the workout for a guy who's who's working out in another gym, and so the agent says, well, we'll do ours at one o'clock. So all you guys at the ten o'clock workout in Santa Monica can then jump in your car and get on the four oh five and drive up the Thousand Oaks and get to the gym in time for the one o'clock workout there. And then some of you got to come back to U. C. L A. At four o'clock for the workout that one one agency is going to have with their three guys. And I mean it's really it's really a jumble, and sometimes you have to divide your forces because you have a lot of guys from your organization that are there watching the workouts, maybe conducting some interviews at hotels, sometimes right there at the gym, you know, on the side of the gym, while guys are walking out of the gym. It really becomes a hodgepodge sometimes depending on who's available and who you want to talk to and who you want to reach out to. And then you're also working with the agents at that time about guys they represent who you may have an interest in bringing to your market for a more full scale workout with your coaches in tow running the workouts and being able to do interviews and and and do a player profiles and and those kinds of things. And so they've got all that stuff, all that so called travel stuff is in the bank. So now they're starting to invite players uh to their to their their home market. So the Jazz are working on scheduling guys to come in for workouts. They're working with other teams, so they're calling their their counterparts in Denver and Phoenix and and Sacramento and Golden State. Hey, you bringing in the kid from Rutgers on Thursday. Can you send them here on Friday so we can get a look at them and that kind of thing. So you're coordinating with the teams as well as coordinating with the agents. So there's a lot of moving parts. For a lot of years, our point man on that was Walt Perrin, who is our vice president player personnel for a long time, and and Walt was always going crazy this time of year, mixing and matching and moving all the chess pieces around and and and it never works out the way you want to because a guy always drops out, or a guy missed a flight, or a guy twisted his ankle yesterday in Denver and now he can't work out for you today. And so she got all those moving parts going on. And then add on top of that, you've now got also a contingency that's going to go over to Treviso, Italy in the next week to watch European guys do the same thing that was done in Chicago here at the NBA pre Draft camp. So the European pre draft camp will be held in Treviso, which is just outside of Venice, Italy, and a lot of guys trying and draw the long straw so they can get a trip over Italy for a week to watch some of the Italian players and get some good food, you know, in the early June before they're really cranking out the draft, which, as you mentioned, is the last week of June.
Speaker 2: So when it comes to individual workouts, the way teams handle these workouts, and you know, it was always one of my favorite things to sit back and watch. I can remember before Jeff Van Gundhy was the head coach of the Knicks and was pat Riley's assistant. He was the you know, he was the honorary chest passer for these young kids. They'd come in and I remember, I think it was ninety two when the Knicks had a late first round pick.
Speaker 4: They used it on Hubert Davis.
Speaker 2: But they worked out Doug Christy and Robert or together, and I was courtside watching the whole thing. I just thought it was the coolest thing, you know, watching these things kind of transpire. What are you looking for if you put yourself in the seat of the Utah Jazz. First of all, as a team with the top five pick, you have doors opened all over the place. Agents want to talk to you, Players want to work out for you because you have a top five pick. So I would imagine that opens up avenues and doors that the Jazz wouldn't have if they were only at twenty one. Right, So you have a top five pick, people will answer your phone call, they want to talk to you. What are you trying to accomplish throughout the process of these individual workouts, some player.
Speaker 4: Interviews, What are you trying to find out?
Speaker 3: Most of it's spence. It really has to do with getting to know the individual player and also doing any follow up in terms of physical uh testing him, making sure he doesn't have a bad knee or you heard that he played during the season with with a sore back. You want to, you know, want to check on those things with your medical staff while the they're in town here. They all go through medical testing in Chicago, so every team gets the exact same reports out of Chicago pre draft camp for all thirty guys. They put it in a big, big binder. You would have a meeting with all of your decision makers, with all your your people within your organization, usually about a week before the draft, and you and you sit down for a whole evening with your doctors and you go through every player page by page. You start with the a's and you go all the way through disease, and you go through how is this guy in Chicago. Yeah, he's okay, he's he's an orange, he's a red flag depending on how his physical came out. But when he comes in your market, if there was something, there was a question, then you have a chance to follow up on that kind of thing. The workout itself is probably the last thing on the priority scale of things that you do, because you've been watching him play all year. You watch them in Chicago with the other guys. The workout you may have. There are specific rules to the workout in your market, So for example, you cannot work out more than six guys at one time. So the perfect workout is when you have six guys who were all playing similar positions and all who are are projected to be in a similar space of the draft. Because now you can you can kind of look at apples to apples and see how they play against each other. But it's always you're always couch that with, you know, with a degree of aiguity, because you're not sure, you know, if if what you see good bad in the middle in a workout is really who the guy is and and and those are the things that really temper you know, your what you come away with on those Uh you know, we've had uh, we had Carlos Boozer, who's who was you know, obviously had a terrific career and had great years for the Jazz, came in for his first workout with us and and was not very good at all the second round. Yeah, but but but we we get him in the interview and we say, hey, uh, Carlos, how was how'd you feel out there in the court. It looked like you a little sluggish you were you didn't work you know, it didn't quite what we were expecting, you know, And and he said, well, yeah, I know. I apologize. I am probably because I don't have a lot of energy today. And we said, is there a reason for that and you know, or something we should know? And he goes, well, I don't know. I haven't eaten in twenty four hours, and and we said, when wha you haven't eaten in twenty four hours? What do you mean? Goes well, I got up yesterday morning and Durham and I had to get the flight and I don't have I don't have a credit card, so I don't have any money. And when we traveled with Duke on the road for our games, we were we were supplied food by by the team, but we're always told that we couldn't we couldn't order any room service because they weren't allowed to pay for that. And so so I got here in the hotel and I didn't have a credit card, I don't have any money, so I haven't we go what are you talking about? You know? And and so we actually had him come back for another workout like two weeks later, you know, and Kevin O'Connor told him, look, Carlos, you're going to Golden State tomorrow for another workout. You're going to you make sure you eat properly, you do all the tuff, and look, if you ever have a problem, here's my credit card number. You just keep it in your wallet and charge it to me. He goes, don't don't be doing that. You're you're you're playing with your career. And Carlos was just being honest, you know, with the prom. You know, I don't have any money, so I'm not you know, that's you know, that's just a situation, you know. And so and then you flip the other end and you have guys like Donovan Mitchell who had a nice a couple of years at Louisville, nothing spectacular, nothing on the All American level or anything like that, and he came in and doesn't work out for us, and and we're going, okay, all right, hold on, was this like just happened to be his day or is that something we didn't see at Louisville for whatever the reason, or are we what we're seeing is that really, you know, to be believed or so you're you're measuring all those things, and it's always all over the scale.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Uh, Rudy came in and Rudy had did his workout three days before the draft, and Rudy had been sick in the Chicago pre draft camp, so he did not perform very well. So a lot of teams, you know, were skeptical about who he was because he was coming from France and he played on the lower division team there and maybe he's just seven one, and you know, it just happens to be tall, but isn't that good or whatever it is. And he came in and and for us anyway, you know, really showed that he could move or could run and move his hips and we thought there was something there and and you know, but even then, he still slid to twenty seven in the draft, you know, And so these things go all over the scale. You have to have a One of the things you really need in your room as a team is to have some guys who have been through that process, you know, many times, and understand what it is and don't get caught up and the things that don't look really really look bad or the things that look really good and don't get swayed either way. But you have, you know, some kind of experience doing that kind of thing. Obviously the Jazz do with with Danny Ainge and guys like Bart Taylor who had been through that for you know, ten fifteen years now and and have a good handle on those kind of things. So that's that's the stuff you're looking for when you get them in, you know, for a for an on site workout and trying to figure out, you know, mostly who is this guy and is he someone that we want to seriously consider adding to our group.
Speaker 2: Let me follow up about the Donovan workout because it's one of these chapters in jazz history, in jazz lore that has a lot of tales surrounding it, right, And I can remember I was with the Teams radio station at the time, and you started hearing things after the workout where the reports were Dennis Dennis Lindsay, who was running the team at the time, basically told everybody you do not whisper a word about what we just saw, and if you do, you will lose your job. I don't know if it was that dramatic, but and then it's interesting because Summer League this year will be up at the Huntsman Center as they're renovating Delta Center and the last time Summer League was at the Delta Centers when Donovan went head to head against Jason Tatum and gave it to him, And that's when everybody's like, wait, wait a second, because Tatum. I mean, I'm not taking a victory lap. I thought Tatum was the best player in that draft, all due respect to Markel Folks who went number one and couldn't stay healthy and had some weird stuff happen. Unfortunately, that's part of the NBA journey sometimes. And when I watched Donovan just I remember he slapped the floor and he picked Tatum's pocket, went down and dunked it with Forst and started doing things that I didn't know he could do. What was it about that workout that motivated Dennis to be so adamant, like we just found something special here that maybe we didn't know that we were going to find.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, First of all, I would respond just to the notion that Dennis may have said something, you know, nobody speak about this or I don't really if that ever happened. I wasn't in the room, Kah during that time, because look, we were at that time, we were picking twenty four that year. In the draft and during the workout, film study, you know, internal discussion, conversations with other guys we knew around the league who you might have seen him more and knew a little bit more about him. And as we did all of our background work and all that kind of stuff, he became a player we were interested in. But we also felt like, you know, enough other teams are going to see what we see and he's not going to get to us. But okay, we like him to some extent. Okay, we put him up on the wall and our board and whatever. And then Dennis was able to do his magic on draft night, you know, and be able to move up to thirteen. And because we are everything we had, we all of our research showed that he probably wasn't going to get past fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, something like that. So you know, sometimes those things happen and they fall in your lap. Now, you know, will we the only team that you like Donovan Mitchell will be the only ones who saw, you know, what he might be able to know. And that's that that narrative is is just it's just not true. You know, a lot of teams liked him. A lot of teams had some concerns about why he didn't play that way when he was at Louisville. You can, you know, look at a lot of different things, whatever, and and and some of it really Spence just goes to the fact that you know, he has you know what what I would I determine now looking back on it, he just has more of an NBA type game in him than you're allowed to show in college. And we see guys who can do that from time to time. You know. As far as the process itself, you know, we're we're we're always looking for different guys who can try and add to your group. You know, it's everything you have upon on the board, everything that you're looking at, Everything is monitored, is recorded in terms of what teams you've talked to. If you're trying to move you know, I know the Jazz are picking five and twenty one at the moment. Those are the picks they have. We always would be careful about saying, you know, the picks we have at the moment are these because you never know if you're gonna move up, you're gonna move back, we're gonna move out of the draft depending on all all kinds of things that can be going on. Of course, this year for the Jazz, you know, they're in a situation where where everything, in my opinion, is in play. There is nothing that's not you know, either discussable or something where you say, yeah that we're just not gonna do that kind of a thing because they don't have a team that's in a position, you know, to to to act like that. So there they'll have everything open. Everything's i would think is in play as far as moving and trading and and trying to compile picks and whatever, blah blah blah. And that's gonna be the interesting part for this next month is all the all the stuff that might be going on leading up to draft day.
Speaker 2: All right, before we catch a break, let's move over to this draft and give me your thoughts on on this. So you know, when you look at who the Jazz have on their roster, and in a way, this always concerned me with Donovan and Mike as a starting backcourt, even though they're both awesome and obviously they've both gone on to play well elsewhere. You know, we'll use Oklahoma City as an example because they're just kind of the shining stars of now, you know, Lou Dort six five two twenty, Alex Caruso six five, I feel like he's bigger than that.
Speaker 4: Shay six'. Seven even a, guy, uh even a guy.
Speaker 2: Like Cason wallace who's six three sixty, four plays a lot bigger than. That jalen is six,' nine, you Know So kendrick williams is. Six seven so on, The Perimeter oklahoma city has tremendous size. And length and, you know you saw last night they Just Put anthony edwards.
Speaker 4: In jail he had nowhere.
Speaker 2: To go and when you look at the jazz roster, Right, NOW clarkson i don't know if he's part of the, future plans but he's.
Speaker 4: Six three They list isaiah at.
Speaker 2: SIX three i don't know that he's, Sixty three kante, sixty three, Sixty Four colin sexton. Sixty three like the majority of their guards aren't necessarily big, and long like the Wings from minnesota Outside of mike and the Wings For. Oklahoma CITY and i, feel like, you know it's easy, to, Say well danny likes length because He drafted Tatum.
Speaker 4: And brown everybody, likes length and that's what.
Speaker 2: You need so when you look at some of the prospects available Where the jazz could, be drafting and we don't know what's.
Speaker 4: Gonna Happen as.
Speaker 2: Bailey is six seven six Eight vj edgecomb, sixty five The fears kid, Is Small, trey johnson, you know six or. Six five there are some big wings available with some length and. Some size dylan's not going to get. To them dylan would, Be great dylan six, 'y five but he's probably probably gonna be off the. BOARDED two i think they need more length than athleticism on. THE perimeter i Feel like Larry and walker are the only two Players where i'd feel, Confident, like okay we've got, those two and then everybody else has a tremendous question marks in, my opinion WHAT sort i know you said everything's on, the table but, at five What'sh your jazz Fans hope as far as best case That the jazz could walk, away.
Speaker 3: WITH well i would think that a number the guys that are going to. BE there i think if they ended up, picking five there may be a couple of surprises that happened at three. AND four i think one and two are probably. Locked in whether it's those Two teams Dallas And san antonio take take the flag kid And the, harper kid or if, they they, you know for, some reason make a trade of, some sort, you know and a lot of. The, scuttle butup, you know as you get closer to, the draft is GOING to, i think is gonna start getting some steam Behind what yiannis's Situations in milwaukee and what's gonna happen, with that because those, would be, to me would be very. Interesting discussions if You're in Dallas Or san antonio and, you know and Somebody from milwaukee calls you, and, says hey you got, a minute, you know because for, you yeah and, so uh anything could happen in that regard and that in. Those slots but then, you know when you get, to, three, four five there's some discussion about who these guys could be and and what teams are gonna need and and, you know look at a team Like. The jazz if they don't do, anything else and if they just stay at five and they end up picking a guy, at five they're they're really, their responsibility in, my opinion is to pick the guy whoever they think is the best talent and has the best chance.
Speaker 4: Of succeeding regardless.
Speaker 3: Doing, well yeah because because they. Need players they they they're badly there at the bottom looking up and so, you know you can't be going for. A while we need a. Point guard so we'll just take whoever the. Point guard and, you know, you know if if you determine that some other guy uh at another position is going to be a. Better player now that that's always in a in a an assessment, you make that's always an evaluation of guys in. Your room that's always, you know ends up being, you know when all when all the, dust settles the guy who's your decision maker in this case For, the, jazz UH it's i Believe It's danny ainge has the. Final word, you, know, he'll uh he'll make an assessment based on everybody's input and how everybody has, has seen uh seen these guys and determine what would be the make the most sense For the jazz in terms of adding skill and talent to. Their base what position? Is that who knows is That the, fears kid who you know may have a good career as as a. Point guard is That the johnson Kid, from texas who's who's a flat out score and has, good size, you know has has a pro game and a, pro body uh to go with it at, that part at that point is that somebody like the Kid From duke nipple who's who measured u shorter than than everybody thought he Was in chicago but is a true playmaker out on the floor with, the ball is really a. Smart guy so do you need do you want a guy like that to add to? Your mix because as we're seeing with these teams that are still alive in, the playoffs they all have guys that fit in round pegs into, round holes meaning they put team a. Team Together Right Shay gilders alexander is an M V, p okay the home grown kid is not far behind in terms of just how he affects, the game what he brings on. The floor but now you're talking about two key contributors to, their team where guys who are not even drafted In lou Dort, And caruso and so you have to figure out as an organization who the big, guys are who those guys are going, to be, you know. Going forward but then you also have to plug in those holes somewhere along the line with guys that you determined can add to your group and fit in and be part of that puzzle you're trying to. Put together that's what makes doing this such a difficult task, for teams and That's. Why spence you see some organizations they're just always spinning their wheels and can never get any traction because they don't have the patience to be able to put a few pieces together and then wait till the next cycle and put another, piece together and then wait for the next cycle and try and see what they're doing long term and. Big picture and that's that's. The Situation the jazz are in, right now.
Speaker 2: About two hours away from tip Off, in indiana Where the knicks And the pacers are going to.
Speaker 4: Do battle we have some.
Speaker 2: Breaking News Aaron ne smith is available to play after spraining his ankle in. Game three we'll catch a, quick break we'll talk about that game tonight and we'll TALK Ok, c minnesota maybe do a Little more jazz off Time Allows richard smith live in studio for one more segment coming up on the other side right HERE on espn, seven hundred about one hour and fifteen minutes away tip off tonight at massive Game. In indiana nicks are going to try to lock it up at two. Games Apiece the pacers will try to take a three to one lead over the. Next Tonight aaron nesmith available to play after spraining his Ankle in. Game three he left for the, locker room did come back and finish off. The Game richard smith is live In, STUDIO smithy i wanted to get one more quick jazz thing IN because i haven't asked. You This walker kessler is, extension eligible so the date is. Coming up as far as, you know the decision To Extend walker kessler fourteen point six mil free agent whole That Got bobby march's notes in front.
Speaker 4: Of Me because bobby's. The, man yep it feels like a, no, BRAINER right I, MEAN walker.
Speaker 2: I feel like after a great, rookie year had a dip, year two but really played well well. YEAR three i would imagine this is a formality that they do Lock Up.
Speaker 3: Walker, Kessler, WELL spence i would agree with you in TERMS of i think he's a guy who you can actually have as one of your pieces of trying to build something. Going forward so that makes sense to me on, The surface but you have to look behind the scenes and you have to look at your whole organization and the whole team and as you're trying to build. It out and they don't have To Extend walker kessler. This year they can they can go another year on the last year what would be, next year his, fourth year the last year of his, rookie contract and then he would become restricted. Free, agent uh they can give him a, qualifying offer and, then uh they can wait. And See, because spence if if you're if you're not holding onto a guy who's helping you to get to a mountaintop that you're. Right, near okay if you're just still trying to build, your foundation there are a lot of moving parts and pieces that that that could change between now and. Next summer he could have a bad. Fourth, year uh he could, heaven forbid blow a knee out and have. Something happen so there's not an urgency On the jazz is part to. Extend him sometimes you want to do those things as a good faith measure and to show, the, player yeah hey we, want you and here we go and and so those are the decisions that you have, to make and those are the business decisions that you talk over with your group and your owner and then you're also you're talking with his his agent and and and trying to understand what all the ramifications are around uh extending him right away or waiting, on it or, you, know, explaining hey, you know we want to wait because next year we might have. More, money uh he might play himself into a. Better deal, you know there's a lot of that jockeying around and and uh negotiating behind. The scenes so there's a lot of ways That the jazz could. Play it but just for, our listeners for them to understand it in general business and and team, building Terms the jazz do not have to do anything. This summer if they choose, not to they can ride it out for, another year where then next summer they would still have uh the final say As with kessler being a restricted free agent in terms of whether they want to bring. Him, back now that's, what happened going back To The gordon, hayward scenario, you know And, the jazz, you know we're playing it out and then they offered him a, you know a deal that he wanted to go get, another offer which he did and he won that one and whatever and all that that kind. Of stuff but, you know so IN, the nba as long as you like a guy and as long as he's your guy going forward and you think he's a good part of, your future, the team no matter what, it does always has the control for minimum of the first seven years of the player's career because you have that restricted free agency tag on them where you can always match an offer that someone else would. Give him so you're also playing that game because, you, say well if we wait and next year he could earn some. More money but maybe next year we get, him cheaper or maybe next year, you know some team that has a whole bunch of money really loves him and they just throw, a big, you know wopping lowry market and type deal, at him and, you, go, whoa whoa we can't, do that you. Know whatever so there's a lot of a lot of dancing around behind closed doors that the team has to figure out is he going to be one of their guys that they want to make that kind of financial.
Speaker 2: Commitment too let me ask, you this since you brought Up the, hayward stuff there is a narrative that's been out there for a WHILE and i don't know that ever fully brought, into IT but i.
Speaker 4: DON'T know i have.
Speaker 2: No idea my whole assertion is The way gordon handled the exit And The player's. TRIBUNE article i feel like he wanted to sit at the cool kids lunch table in a, bigger MARKET and i feel like he wanted to go play for his.
Speaker 4: College coach but some.
Speaker 2: People believe as a result of the decision not to simply maxim as soon as he was up for it and give him what he wanted after the rookie deal was able to be extended and tell him to go bet on himself was one of the reasons.
Speaker 4: He left do you put any stock into?
Speaker 3: THAT now i don't KNOW that i understand what that. NARRATIVE was i think it was more Really knowing gordon the WAY that i. Know him just it's just my own. PERSONAL opinion i think when he had the opportunity to go play for his, college coach and had the opportunity to go play for a storied franchise Like, the celtics and was going into a good situation where they had a chance to win and all, THAT that i think that was too much of a pull. FOR him I think i do also think that again my, own opinion my own gut tells me that he was more comfortable playing here in this market because he's more Of A Salt lake city type guy off the floor than he Is a boston type guy off the. FLOOR there i mean, his personality he's a, quiet guy he's a. Family Guy Salt lake city really fit him to a t in terms of what uh he wants to be just in his life. In general AND so i was a little bit surprised when he Went to boston ONLY BECAUSE, i i, you know coming coming from that that read growing up there in that region of, THE country i knew that it wasn't something that that would really fit, his, personality uh outside of the basketball stuff and so the real life stuff as we. Call IT so i knew that would be a major adjustment for for for he and, his family his. Young family but, you KNOW but i think that, the poll again just, my opinion the poll to Play For brad stevens and Go to boston and do that was too much of a storybook thing. For him, and look he he ended up leaving at, That, time Uh the jazz had had the finance ability to pay. More money, you know he left in the neighborhood of forty million dollars on the table to Go. To boston That the jazz would have guaranteed him more because they could give him that fifth year that that other. Teams couldn't that's how the, rules, Work right and and he, chose to, you know leave that on the table. And go and, you know BUT again i think it was more of an emotional thing for him and on the personal side than it was a. Business Thing, all right a.
Speaker 2: Couple of minutes, left here so let's get to the playoffs that are going on. Right now before we get, to tonight LET'S Talk. Okc, minnesota okay see up three to one and Last. Night smittye first, of all, awesome game really fun, to watch high level. Shot making my Assertion is minnesota beats maybe every team in the league last night besides the one. They, played yeah and, You know ant's taking a lot of. Heat Today julius randall for the second, straight game. Just disappeared watched the game in the fourth quarter from the Bench After chris finch decided to go in a. Different direction all that's finding good and we Can. Talk Minnesota this minnesota that they hung forty one points in the fourth quarter on one of the best defenses in. Pro basketball, to me last night Was who. Okasee Is mark dagnoll was asked after, the game what you learned about your, team tonight and, he, said nothing it's who. WE are i thought last night was MORE about Okc the minnesota what's?
Speaker 3: Your, take YEAH well i Think, THEY yeah i think you're. EXACTLY right i think it was A great it was a great, horse race and it came down to the wire and, one team, you know got, you know beat the other team out by a nose to use. That analogy and You, know minnesota, you know they have a ball bounced, their way or they have a shot fall in, for them or they have a foul call that they should have been made that. Wasn't, made whatever, you know all those things that can happen in the. Tight game with under two minutes, to go a couple things go their way and it's two Two and randall has a bad Game and aunt has just a, pedestrian game and, everybody, goes, look see you see these guys are, for real, because look the two main guys were just, so so and they still won the game against the team that had the. BEST record, i mean that would be, the, Narrowest right so so you know it was it was a. Close game it was a fun game. To watch, YOU know i do think it's gonna be Hard for minnesota to to ratchet up now because now they're gonna in order to get out of the series and and move on to, The finals minnesota's gonna have to, be okay see three.
Speaker 4: Times in a row and twice.
Speaker 3: In, the building and that that's gonna be a. Tough arder but as we've seen early in, the playoffs that's why you play them because maybe somebody gets in early, foul trouble maybe somebody has, an injury something happens to affect the sway of what the momentum and what's. Going on you, never know somebody comes out of. The woodwork Like if minnesota pulled that Game, out spence you'd you'd be talking about how good they can play, against, okay see how well rounded, they are and that you had a Guy Like Nikhil, alexander walker, you know have a GAME like, va game have A tray man game, right right and so you'd be talking about that kind. Of thing and so the narrative always changes depending on when you get. Close games just, what happened and and, you know a bounce of a ball here and there, or whatever and the whole tone and what everybody's talking about changes from one thing to. The next and and when, you lose and it's a, tough game then you're looking at your main guys and trying to point the fingers, at them which is which is always the lazy way out in.
Speaker 2: My opinion so in about an hour and a half, in change we have tip off Of The pacers.
Speaker 4: Knicks game uh it is Two.
Speaker 2: On indiana and since YOU and i, last Spoke the knicks pulled the miraculous comeback off as they've done this year in the postseason a few. Different times and when they went down twenty in the, SECOND quarter i almost went and hit.
Speaker 4: Golf balls, I'm like i'm Not doing i'm not. WATCHING this i don't think.
Speaker 2: Enough was talked about as far as the way they closed the second quarter to get it. Within thirteen that doesn't. Sound awesome but when you're down twenty and all the momentums going the other way and you're able to get a couple of, threes here there are a couple stops, here there and just end the hap with a little bit, of confidence so you know you're. NOT dead i felt like that that. Wasn't nothing The knee smith injury changed. The game he's available to. Play tonight we'll see if he. Can go he did come back in and close. The game But When nie smith, went down it kind of changed the way that you know they Were. Guarding jalen jalen gets in foul trouble when you were in studio last week and when we're on the golf Course, ON friday i said, to You can tom find ten Minutes For? Landry shammitt can he find ten to fifteen minutes for A precious atua who did not get off the bench. Former You delon wright Got some ron played really. Good defense it's Weird see delon play with so little, confidence offensively like he wasn't looking to attack at all, on offense but did guard Well and shaman gave him some good run. As Well mitchell robinson in the, Starting Lineup josh hard to. THE bench I give josh a lot of credit for the way he played coming in off the bench with ten. Big rebounds he's as good of a REBOUNDING wing i think as there is in. The league no part of Me Believes new york is gonna win. The series that's Just where. I'm at we'll see what. Happens tonight pacers are a two point five. Point favorite so before we end our hit, this week your thoughts On the knicks come back and what do you think? Happens, tonight, YEAH well i think the first, of all for all of the talk all.
Speaker 3: Season long everybody has, the, teams themselves, the. Media everybody you're Talking, In, December january february about who is in the position to have home court advantage in the first round of, the playoffs and everybody's always that's always the. Talking Point the knicks so far are three and five at Home And Madison square garden in, the playoffs and they're six and one on. The road so what does? That mean who knows what? It means other teams get up to Play At Madison. Square Garden the knicks don't play as fluidly maybe or as easy because they got all those the expectations and everything on them that they're supposed to win when they're At the garden And The new york fans are gonna get them across the finish line or. Whatever whatever The mantra is and then they go on the road and, they play, you know whatever. They, do now they've had several games that they've won in the six and one road playoff run of theirs where it's been a one minute game and it's been whoever makes this shot or whoever gets, the stop or whoever makes a defensive play or whatever it's. Gonna be And the knicks have been able to do it several times in these playoffs to to, to uh to. Their credit and then the, Other night towns just went went on a heater, and uh, you know he had one of those three. POINT shots i thought he was just throwing up to hopefully get. A foul they didn't call, the file but he banked.
Speaker 1: It in.
Speaker 3: But, you, know okay so called banks. It, In, okay okay that's that's what's going on at.
Speaker 1: This.
Speaker 3: Moment okay and he felt it AND and I think indiana felt it a. Little. Bit uh, but again the. Same thing the ball bounces, one way the ball bounces the, other way a shot, goes in one of his shots doesn't fall or rims, out whatever, And uh indiana comes out and all of a sudden they're up to three, to, zero right and everybody's talking about Burying the knicks, and everything and now the, talk, is hey Can the knicks do it again and and even this series and get Back To? New york, YOU know, i, Say gee i'm looking at the playoffs, so Far and i'm looking at the record on the road. AND home i don't KNOW if i don't know If the knicks want to go. Back home maybe they they just want to keep saying on, THE road i mean the way. They're playing but it's, a fun entertaining series they, both Are and i'm, expecting nothing nothing less than. THAT tonight i think. IT'S uh i think it's fun. TO watch i think both teams really get, after it and both teams spends to your, earlier point have done things with their roster where it's not just, you know top draft picks that are that are pulling, the wagon it's other guys that they've brought in and pieced together to have a full team effect that that can help you.
Speaker 2: To win should, be, Fun smitty great to see you enjoy the. Game tonight we'll. Chat soon, thanks man. Appreciate it The Great richard smith, all right, coming up join me For The KYLE van neu. Golf tournament so join Me, On monday june the twenty third for the twenty twenty Five Van Ney Charity golf Challenger the Black Des a resort In Scenic. Saint george all the proceedings from this tournament go to benefit The Van Ney valor foundation that helps foster kids In The. Adoption foundations kyle was adopted as, an infant so this cause.
Speaker 4: Is very meaningful to him and.
Speaker 2: His family Starts, On sunday june the, twenty second with a welcome cocktail party at seven o'clock IN a Q. And A, on monday we get going at eight am with a check in and a Breakfast at club. Seventy three welcomes at eight, Forty five shotgun start, At nine awards are at. Two thirty lunch will be served on. The course Go To vanni golf twenty twenty five dot gifsmart dot com