Speaker 1: Get ready.
Speaker 2: Okay, So a couple of minutes after eight pm December twenty six of twenty twenty five, allegedly according to that thing we call a calendar, and somehow I managed to get myself live tonight. My voice is not strong, neither am I, but what the hell here I am? I was going to try and do last night, but it didn't work out too well, and I got one response that I saw and one I saw after time elapsed when I could have went live, but I couldn't get myself together to go live last night. So better I didn't because it was just going to be phone calls and most people probably didn't expect me to be there anyhow. Hopefully you guys are enjoying the Christmas stuff, which is going to gradually go away over the next couple of days, but it's still there on the live stream, and this show will be added to it and all that. But we're live on Friday, day after Christmas. Right, still the twenty sixth, Yeah, it is still the twenty sixth day?
Speaker 1: Boxing?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What's that is?
Speaker 1: Boxing day?
Speaker 2: Boxing Day?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Right? What is that Canada? In boxing? Boxing Day in Canada?
Speaker 1: No, well, I think I don't know if they do it in Canada, I know they do it in Britain. It's the day that they open up all of the charitable boxes for the year. Can they find out how much they took in? Can they give it out?
Speaker 2: Really? You know, I never paid attention to this. I have no idea. I thought Boxing Day had something to do with boxing up gifts. I really had no idea. Never paid a caen.
Speaker 1: It is boxing and gifts kind of sort.
Speaker 2: Of Okay, Well, anyway, be Pete, my co host is with me and you can be two three one nine five two seven five zero one six. That's the number to call. Uh. I did hear from somebody while we in the in the between last time we got together and now for the Friday show that we didn't hear from for a little while there, and that was Chris Graves. So he's still alive. And that's the thing. I mean. I was sitting there saying, I have no idea what happened to him. I guess Chris might have been a little unhappy because Danny might have said that he thought Chris might have been deranged. But whatever, that's what Chris relayed to me on X But he was apparently in the hospital. And aren't we all having a good year? I'm waiting for twenty twenty five to go away? What about you be Pete?
Speaker 1: Oh, well, yeah, so twenty this has been an interesting year, you know, because especially with me and and work retiring, I mean, it's been a big change. So yeah, I'm glad to see twenty five. Con you flipped that last month. Un let's get all of something new.
Speaker 2: Beginning of the year was a whole different situation for you, right, You were still working at.
Speaker 1: The beginning of the year, right, Yeah, I didn't retire until April. Well, you know, and it was but it was you know, travel, travel, travel, travel, and the job I was on was going to pieces by the end of January, and by the end of February, I was up in the mountains looking at disaster relief.
Speaker 2: Well you had. You know. I just recently got into an accident I'm not talking about but believe me, that's why I'm having such a hard time doing shows. And I've been wanting to improve that, but I just haven't been able to. Honestly, either physically I'm unable to on certain days or other days I've had obligations and then I'm not able to get to the microphone on time, so I haven't actually done my show much. Kind of took the Christmas week off like a lot of people do. Didn't even mean to do that. But you had like an accident right before, didn't you, like, because there was a problem. This whole thing started when you got like a whole bunch of wire tangled up in your truck.
Speaker 1: I think you told us, Yeah, I had a I had a power line drop on me. Someone up ahead in a bunch of vehicles. There was a bunch of box trucks, truck trailers, equipment on these mountains, thin mountain road, and because of the ice storms that they had had hit about a week week and a half before, and damage from the storm, of course, power line was hanging low, and somebody clipped it, and there was a dump truck in front of me, and then all of a sudden, they swerved into the left hand lane like they were dive bombing, and I look up and I got four hundred foot of power line coming right down on top of me. Right that was in March. Yeah, that was in March, man.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, look between that and a couple of people connected to the show Dying, you'd almost think that the universe is out to get us all. You know. I don't know Man's right, but it was weird when it happened.
Speaker 1: I mean, it was a pure accident, and the safety people with corporations and insurance companies will always argue there is no such thing as accident. Well, yeah there is, and I rode through it, so screwled. But after that, I got to think, you know, I'm spending all my time on the road because you know, there were some times where I wasn't able to do Friday nights right because of working on the hours that I was working during that time.
Speaker 2: Right, you were working crazy, And I said, forget it's yeah.
Speaker 1: It's just not worth it anymore. Let's just sit back and say screw this.
Speaker 2: Well, let me let me ask you.
Speaker 1: I want to drop a power line on my ass. I can do that at home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, let me ask you something, because you said something pretty fascinating there to me, there's no such thing as an accident. I would tend to agree with that, is that everything is predictable so long as you have all the insight you need, you know, like, in other words, almost anything that's an accident is predictable. There's almost always a way to find something that could have gone better. You know, had we been better informed. You know, if somebody was keeping an eye on that particular piece of power line, that would have never happened. Right, So there's always a way to avoid these things, and you can see it start to happen. I mean, very few things are completely instantaneous, you know what I mean. Like, there's almost always a way to see things coming. So for there never to be an accident, from a certain point of view, that would be true. But the impossibility is to be informed on all things at all times, right, I mean, or do you not see where I'm going with that?
Speaker 1: No? I see where you're going. And I understand. We used to in the industry. We used to have these arguments all the time when we had safety meetings, and somebody brought up the point You're out there beating the bushes trying to find a right away marker, and you happen to move past a bush that has a wasp's nest in it, and you don't see it, and you don't touch the bush, and suddenly you get stung by a wasp? Is that a true accident, and of course the safety guys, oh no, you know, you should have had proper equipment. And it's like, okay, well, you had all your personal safety equipment on, you went walking through there. You didn't do anything to cause the situation. But a wasp decides to light your butt up? How could you have prevented that? Well, and we'd never come to an answer. What do you prevent a wasp a beasting?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, here you go. You could have prevented it by avoiding it, right, if you would have known it was there. But you have a job to do. You can only focus on so much at a time. You know the old expression you can't cover all bases, right, Like, in other words, it is possible to catch every ball that's hitting into a field in baseball. As long as it's in the field to play, it can be caught. It's just that simple. It can be caught. It can be stopped, right, but you have to be in the right place at the right time. You have to anticipate, or you have to you know what I'm saying. So in other words, it's like saying, well, gee, if somebody had paid attention, or there had been a way to detect the wasp or whatever it could have been done. But you only have so much time as one human being or even a team to cover so many things. Even again, in the baseball analogy, yeah, you got nine people on the field, but they can't be in all spots at all times, you know, And they can't cover all spots at all times. That's kind of the point of the game. No, so, you know, but in life, that's the truth of it, right, because if somebody had taken the time and very very carefully examined every square inch, they would have seen the wasp desk. So an insurance, but.
Speaker 1: Let's put it in the ballpark. I got one for you. Batters up, bat, pitch comes across the plate, He smacks it, knocks the snot out of it, and the bat breaks.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Is that preventable when it hits the pitcher?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it is preventable. It's just he has to ask quick enough reflexes.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Again, picture's laid out. Wait a minute, the picture is laid out full stretch. After throwing the pitch, he hits it, piece of broken bat immediately flies towards the pitcher and if it hits him, now was that preventable. The only way to prevent it, it would be to put up a shield. Well, see, there's a difference, and you can't play the game well right.
Speaker 2: But there's a difference between a reasonable accident, right or but everything is avoidable. In other words, it potentially everything is avoidable if that picture is you know, trained well enough to step off and move it, because there are plenty of people that are ready to move upon release and have quick reactions. I mean, I've seen some pictures catch some stuff. You know, it's coming off with a bat at one hundred and sixteen miles an hour. They stick out of glove, they grab it like it's nothing. I've seen that happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, but still a piece of broken bat. You never know, maybe not the picture, maybe his first baseman, who knows. But what I'm saying is there are true accidents out there. They can't be avoided. It's just a freak of nature that they hit.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: See, it's difficult to it, but not according to the insurance guys. The insurance guys say there are no such thing as accidents.
Speaker 2: We see, I say there are, But see, it may be a high difficulty to avoid that accident. Okay, it may be extremely hard to avoid the accident, but it doesn't mean it's not avoidable. You see, if he had reacted just right and spun just the right way, you could have spun out of the way to bat. You know what I mean. It's just a matter of what is reasonable to avoid and what is not reasonable to avoid. You see what I'm saying. It's a matter reasonable as opposed to you know, can it be avoided all to avoided? Right?
Speaker 1: I don't know that everything can be avoided. You know, you got a ball traveling it's say one hundred miles an hour. It's a fastball. That bat hits it, it breaks equal reaction is going to be one hundred mile an hour piece of bat flying off? And what is it forty five feet to the pitcher's my own? Yep, you know that's traveling pretty damn fast. I think it's kind of hard to avoid, hard to avoid, and you could avoid it by not playing the game. But then you don't play the game.
Speaker 2: Well there's that. Or a pitcher can learn to land. You know, they tried to teach us in Little League to land so that you could field the ball, so you could be ready to field, not to fall down. You know, they tried for maximum velocity with a lot of these guys, and it doesn't matter how you land.
Speaker 1: But you know, but the that is coming back at you just as fast as you threw that ball.
Speaker 2: Well maybe faster even, I don't know. The point is, though, it's still avoidable. It's just difficult to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, just yeah. You've been the safety guy and I'll be the employee you're writing up.
Speaker 2: But you see what I'm saying. I'm not saying that it's not reasonable or that I wouldn't judge something. Okay, that was kind of like not your fault. See, now there's a difference between ascribing fault and saying something couldn't be avoided. You know what I mean. If you got something coming at you one hundred and some miles an hour, you get hit by it, I can't really fault you because you know, reaction time is difficult. It's like trying to avoid a bullet, you know.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's what killed me on this It got clipped. That wire got clipped at the far end. It was like three hundred feet away from me in front of me, right, and this dump truck is in front of me and all this other traffic, and I didn't notice what was happening until the dump truck in front of me suddenly dove into the left lane, even with oncoming traffic. He locked them up and just dive bombed into the opposite lane. And when I look up, boom, I got wires coming down on top of me that fast. I mean, there's really no way to react.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just like the WASP. It's just like the wasp. Though. You know, if observation was better, right, if observation was improved somehow, you could have avoided that. And so could that guy have avoided the dump trunk, could have avoid you see what I mean if observation, Well.
Speaker 1: Unless I've got well, unless I've got something coming directly at me in my lane, I am not diving into the opposite lane of traffic behind a dump truck.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Look, for all I know, he's getting ready to wipe out a bus full of orphans, and I don't want to be behind him.
Speaker 2: Right, No, it's reasonable for you to not to get hit by that thing. It's a reasonable occurrence. But the idea that you know, yeah, all accidents are preventable, that's true, but it would require something, you know, it could be extraordinary what it requires to avoid that accident.
Speaker 1: But I mean it takes something like that, and you think about you know, I'm putting in what I'd had an average of thirty hours home a week for the past month and a half and you know, five years before that. So you know, it's little things like that that makes you think it's time to sit back and watch my grass grow.
Speaker 2: And there's a cost value judgment there, you know, like what is Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: It's well worth. Its the best decision I made.
Speaker 2: There, you go. So as long as you're happy with the decision. And that's the thing. Look, you got out of the situation in one piece, which is usually the important thing. But not to the accident guy, you know.
Speaker 1: Scruit company. Yeah, see, that was the thing there was really and that's what the insurance company was ticked off about. It is they didn't have anybody to blame it on. The They didn't have they didn't have a license number of whoever clipped that wire. Oh you know, and it totally This was a brand new truck and when those wires when they dropped, they hit the truck, well two of them hit the truck right below the grill where the bumper is, and there's a gap in there on the new chevies, and it just threaded its way. It's like you put took a piece of dental floss and put it in the gap at the bumper and pulled it all the way to the back of the truck.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's how bad it was. It tore up everything. It's amazing. And it locked. The other one got locked around a back axle. It looped over the wheel twice while I was still moving trying to stop. Oh so I was locked. I couldn't pull forward, I couldn't pull backwards.
Speaker 2: Right. All I keep thinking of is how people get tangled up in razor wire, you know, and uh and and oh yeah, you know it's like that. Anyway, Look, you can join this conversation at three one nine five two seven five zero one six. It looks like we're broadcasting out there live and everything. I don't know. I'm not looking in the chat room. Are you in the chat room?
Speaker 1: I was, but I was looking at and yeah, I'm the only one in there right now. I was looking at the what boxing day actually was a description.
Speaker 2: Oh cool, you can do that, I'll tell you. I was looking at old TV clips. You know, there's a lot of old TV like vhs that people recorded that they transferred over to YouTube, and that was like, you know, the viral rage a few years ago is you know, local TV that people were showing and now it's you know, boring to everybody. But I was looking back at some local TV on YouTube and it was pretty wild.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I found some stuff, really interesting things that were happening in the late eighties that appeared to be again happening forty years later. So you know, I might do a little show on that coming up soon, because you know, the recurrent themes, the things that never seemed to get fixed, and the arguments we came to seem to keep having forty years later. That's two generations, you know. I mean, it's the same argument that we're having. I was looking at daytime TV and even nighttime TV in New York City and coming out of a Channel nine, especially in New York, which was wild. That's where Morton Downey Junior came from, if you remember that guy, And there was also a guy named Richard Bay, and there was a few other ones Wally George.
Speaker 1: Remember I remember Richard Bay, right, he.
Speaker 2: Got popular for a minute. That was during that time when everybody pretty much stole building on a Phil donohue's format and uh and ran with it and did it their own way. And that's how we got Oprah and that's how we got Jerry Springer eventually.
Speaker 1: But there was at started where Chicago. Yeah didn't she start on a local Chicago station?
Speaker 2: Right? Right? But remember Haraldo took the format and ran with it. You know that audience and now we're gonna have the audience ask questions and uh, you know again, Oprah did it, Richard Bay did it? Uh? Ricky Lake? Remember Ricky Lake?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I mean I'm just saying, you.
Speaker 1: Know, it's funny you had you had two styles too, really that that worked out of it. You had you had the Phil Donahue and the people, and you know Oprah eventually worked into that when she went national. You had that style. Did you have the Morton Downey Junior and the Haraldo's that kind of veered off to the Jerry Springer side of things. Yep, it's it's it's really weird though, you know, the and it was it was a dichotomy you either one or the other. You're either serious or you were Jerry Springer.
Speaker 2: Well, i'll tell you another funny thing is you remember our Senio Hall, Right, he was big for a second, like as the Uh, this is the new generations in the nineties, right, the nineties is the new generation. And this is our version of like you know Johnny Carson, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's where yeah, that's where Bill Clinton, you know, got famous playing the saxophone.
Speaker 2: Bill Clinton won a lot of voters playing the saxophone. I include myself in that because I remember seeing that, you know, live and going Okay, that's different but very But the truth is uh, and I voted for him. I told you this and one of the things, look, what do you want me to do? It's first time I got a chance to vote. That's what I did. Anyway. Uh. It was weird though, because really I like the Libertarian Party of that that presidential cycle more than anything, but their presidential candidate was excuse me at dog, So you know it was like Bill Clinton. Okay, anyhow, forget all that. What I noted was, you know that whole like Ursineo's audience used to bark, they were all right, well you know that really originated with Morton Downey Junior, the audience doing that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, Morton. You know, I'm surprised that he didn't last longer than he did.
Speaker 2: You need to look back at these tapes, you know what, I'll send you a link because you'll realize why he didn't last. Oh.
Speaker 1: His shows were pure chaos.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, it was one trick pony.
Speaker 1: Yeah and yeah. Everything would eventually evolve into him standing up and having this you know, a shouting match with the camera.
Speaker 2: Well, he would just smoke a cigarette, run around, scream that all the liberals were what they call what do you call him, pablum puking liberals, right, pablum puking liberals that do nothing. And he you know, he's and I'm a conservative and I'll tell you what, no, no, no no, And he told everybody off. And that was pretty much a show. You know, he got people on that were definitely going to argue with each other, you know, putting up like the Klan and the uh the Congress for Racial Equality, right, the core guys remember the and oh yeah, you know, and stuff like that. But he's also the first guy to show Ron Paul to the whole country, uh, and other weird stuff, right, Plus he'd have people debating. Yeah, yeah, good.
Speaker 1: Thinking about Haroaldo didn't he wasn't he the one that had the the Communists, the Nazis and was it the Klan? Who was it he had on that show where he got hit with the chair in the nose?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had like the I.
Speaker 1: Know it was the clan and somebody, right, it was.
Speaker 2: A neo Nazi that like turned around And that's that's the funny thing, is like, Okay, so Heraldo's picking up steam and Morton Downey's starting to peter out already, because again, like I said, he's a one trick pony. If you get tired of people just screaming at each other on the show, I mean you're done with Morton Downey, right, And uh so Heraldo gets this whole thing where the studio erupts and uh, you know Morton Downy had had a fight between was it Roy Ennis and uh and the guy who was running one of the white supremacist groups and Roy Innis ended up choking him on stage in front of the audience. Metzger, Yeah, that's it. And uh and then Heraldo has a whole studio break out into like a barroom blitz and he gets his chair broken by it broke, you know, he gets his nose broken by a chair and all that. Then Morton Downey Junior. Now the funniest part about this everybody forgets this is Morton Downey Junior goes into an airport and fakes an attack on himself that the neo Nazis attacked him and spraying.
Speaker 1: Remember that, I remember that. Yeah, oh man, that's a lot. That's a while back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But it's because he was starting to fall in the ratings and these other shows were beating him because they had more outrageous stuff and it was just done better, you know. And plus you weren't. I mean, Moore was an ugly looking guy too, big old huge mole on the side of his face and frigging and he's smoking and blowing his smoke in everybody's face, right, Plus he was one of these guys that like, you know, was like attacking, like you know, like AIDS is a punishment from God kind of thing and and all that. Even though he had his brother on the show who had AIDS, and he was like, yeah, well, you know, I didn't want to talk to you, and I hated you because you were gay anyway, but now I'm having you on because you have aids and people got weird about that. And he just was not going to fit going forward into the nineties. There was no way that they were going to keep him popular on TV, you know. But anyhow, all this craziness is going on, he's losing in the ratings, and then he goes into an airport path. No crap, this is what they found out later, and he claims that these neo Nazis, his skinheads beat him up and sprayed him. Uh spade printed a swastik on his face.
Speaker 1: Remember that, Yeah, I remember that?
Speaker 2: Oh ye god. And it was all because Arroldo had his nose broken by the neo Nazis. And then they found out he faked it and everything else, and then they found out he was like, you know, abusive to people and like you know, doing weird things like that Limo company that was always sponsoring his show in the Earth, he would like like piss and containers in the limo and just leave him in there for the Limo guy to clean out. His weird stuff like that he was doing, and and then he just he thought he was huge.
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 2: He was at one of the WrestleMania's Morton Downey Jr. Did you remember that. Yeah, they put him in Piper's pit.
Speaker 1: Talk about it, you know, but you think about it though, the publicity that they were getting back then and some of the avenues that professional wrestling was going in. Morton Townty Junior. Hell, he was a perfect ZiT.
Speaker 2: No, he fit a lot better. I mean they did a lot better going on that, you know, dealing with him. They're going on the Richard Belt.
Speaker 1: Didn't use him more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too. But again, his popularity just as fast as it, you know, it kind of skyrocketed out of nowhere from doing just a local show on uh. And that's the funny thing. Channel nine was not part of a major network. It was an independent TV station and it's it's a weird station because it's actually in New Jersey in Secaucus.
Speaker 1: But I was going to ask you, yeah, back do you remember back during nine to eleven, Yeah, there was a local access station and I don't know if it was in Jersey or do you York. They used to have guys on that would debate, you know, but they didn't have a report out by that time, but they would debate things going on. Stuff that was you know, we were seeing on the internet, but they actually would sat down and have debates over it. I cannot remember. I spent many an hour watching those things, and they used to be on YouTube, but I can't find them. I'm wondering if they got taken down during the Great Purge, but because it was nine to eleven, probably, but I would spend hours watching those things and some of the obscure stuff that they were coming up with on it. Do you remember those.
Speaker 2: Of in that area, Well, yeah, there was a couple of channels that did stuff like that, and they were only for the local area. One was called New York one, and that was supposedly Channel I think that's yeah, good, I.
Speaker 1: Think that's the one I was watching clips from.
Speaker 2: Well, probably that, and then if you saw one from New Jersey, it's this weird anomaly in New Jersey called Channel eight and Channel eight's kind of like in Atlanta.
Speaker 4: Channel Yeah.
Speaker 1: Channel eight wasn't that the one that would have like regular programming during the day, but at nighttime they would kick over to like small local access stuff.
Speaker 2: No, No, there was lots of local access in Jersey and New York. But Channel eight was was basically just known as a news channel and then sometimes they ran like you know, the Beverly Hillbillies on there or whatever. But aside from that.
Speaker 1: I remember one channel that up until about I think up until about six o'clock, they would end with a news their local kind of news breakdown, and then it would go to strictly local access stuff out of some back studio in all in the building. But they would sit down and have debates, discussions and like table talk and crap like that. Well, that reminds me of it would only switch after about seven o'clock at night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that reminds me of something called New Jersey Network, which used to do that, and they had just a low rent kind of Yeah, they were like an overgrown access TV. See. Access TV is just one of these things that your local cable companies used to have, right in a lot of different.
Speaker 1: Locations, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: But Jersey had, well, Jersey and New York had like some overgrown access TV stuff that was kind of like way more popular than it should have been. Usually it would have been like you know, you see it, like it would be this obscure in New Jersey. Maybe you saw this show in Tom's River, and then you go over to the next county and that same channel would give you totally different shows, and people would actually pay to go on there and do whatever they wanted on the TV station, you know what I mean. So again, in the days before YouTube or whatever, like let's just say you got these guys who wanted to just talk Battlestar Galactica, right, you know, they want to talk about the nineteen seventies TV show, and they would have a half hour TV show on these public access things, you know, or somebody would come out and go, Okay, we're gonna just film me working in my garden, you know, and they would call it like a gardening show or whatever, and they would just be you know, some lady that you know went down there and paid two hundred bucks or whatever to have a weekly show. But there were access channels like that in a bunch of different counties in Jersey and New York had had a huge couple of them, And one of them is too funny because it kind of got taken over by the pornography. Because what happened is there was like a couple of TV shows on this public access thing, and the guys who ran like you know, porno shops started by all the time, so they were doing TV shows on porno like come down to you know Jerry's House of Video or whatever, and we have you know, newdie boots, and we have and we have sex toys and all this stuff. So they started advertising that stuff like at chapter ten o'clock at night. But also these guys started to buy TV shows. So then they would buy a TV show and they'd go get a sponsor, so it would be like, you know, Jerry's Jerry's House of Video brought to you by Adam and Eve Video Productions, you know, so like a pornography thing would sponsor them. And then you know, in the age of the big phone lines, remember the nine seven six phone lines and all that, call up and you can talk to you know this or that, or call up and get a psychic or whatever. And there were hundreds of different kinds the one nine hundred numbers remember those.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So obviously.
Speaker 2: The porno shop would go get nine hundred numbers that were all sex line. So by the time they were done with it, it was like from ten o'clock to four in the morning was like all guys who bought time on there for porno, you know, porno shops, and sometimes they would show like weird like softcore porn and then just run commercials because they would make money with it, you know, because they'd go and buy the show for two hundred bucks and then they'd sell five hundred dollars worth advertising. And that grew into a whole channel.
Speaker 1: How times have changed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that grew into a whole channel called Channel J. And one of the most famous things like the guy who ran Screw magazine had like a two hour block on there, and I think the guy who ran Palco yeah, right, and back in the days when Robin was remember when Rob Low had a sex tape. I mean like you know, legitimately somebody had to run around and hand out bhs's to get your sex tape around all sell them, right, So this guy was running an ad where all he did is sell Rob Loos sex tape and UH and the Go Gos as a bonus, the band the Go Gos like being sexually abusive to UH male Groupees. And he had a videotape that was like two hours of this. He just sold that like on one of his whole hours. That's all.
Speaker 1: It was the act. Wait a minute, Wait a minute, the actual Go Gos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the Go Gos like you know, wait.
Speaker 1: A minute, wait at the Go Gos being sexually abusive towards men.
Speaker 2: Get toward male groupies, like groupies that like, oh I love the Go Gos, and they'd be like, yeah, come on backstage, and then they'd you know, humiliate them and pr Go Gos.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the actual no no no no, no no, I say that the Carlisle is not peeing on somebody in a studio in the hack and sack.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to tell you this was a real thing. They actually had this, you know, hidden video of the Go Gos abusing multiple male groupies. It's no, I'm not kidding.
Speaker 1: Is this still out there?
Speaker 2: And the Robo sex tape, I don't know. I never bought one, but yeah they did that. And uh, like I said, I don't know how they got away with selling the Roblo sex tape, but I have to ask.
Speaker 1: I'll have to send a message and ask Nature Boy about that. If it's out there, he would know about.
Speaker 2: It, I bet you. But if he can't find it, I swear to you it existed. Uh and and I know it existedly.
Speaker 1: Oh the actual go Gos sim domming on their fanboys, kay.
Speaker 2: And it was like it was like a bonus feature to the Roblo sex tape that I mean, they probably suit him. But it was at least a year in the mid nineties that I saw that commercial on there. Every night, they it ran like almost like clockwork. You could turn it on at like well whatever time it was, like twelve thirty, and it would be on where they'd run like a three minute commercial at least, and they keep running it like they would just run you know, other crap in between, you know, what's going on in the uh in the sex business. Here's a you know. And oh and there was another show they had with a guy who just uh oh no, no, no, not a guy, a girl. Her name was Robin Oh my god, Robin something or other. She was like this old, way too old to be stripping stripper. And she did a talk show. So in between her little talk show guests which she would have on for five minutes, and they were like weird, like semi local celebrities and stuff. Robin Bird, that's what her name was. Robin Bird, and like I say, she was like a stripper, but she looked like she was about fifty, So she'd still be dressed in her like, you know, stripper gear, but she wouldn't be stripping. And what she would do is she would feature local strippers. So, okay, you know, miss Melody Candy is going to be at the Pleasure Palace on the nineteenth. Here's a little sample, and they would have the girl strip on camera, you know, go all the way down to the skin and go you want to see more, go over to the Pleasure Palace between the nineteenth and the twenty first or whatever. And then she would intersplice it with like a quick five minute interview. Like there were guys with like you know, these six man football teams or whatever locally you know where they get uniforms. They have like a league or like the adult men's Baseball League, the over thirty Baseball League or whatever. So she'd like interview a team of guys from one of those, you know, talk to them and they'd be like, oh, you got a strip for us, Robin, And she's like, you know, like fifty and they're like, yeah, you got a strip for us, baby, And oh no, I couldn't here. Let's go to this stripper and then she cut away to another stripper. And yeah, that was a whole other either half hour hour long show. And that one actually got kind of famous because she got a couple of like, you know, decent famous guests, like Howard Stern. I think he even did her show. Yeah, wow, yeah, I mean it was weird and like, oh, Bob GUCCIONI, she got him. The guy who did a Penthouse magazine, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: He was also the publisher of Omni magazine, which was a very good magazine. I really enjoyed that one. It was all sci fi and it was just amazing. I mean you wouldn't you wouldn't associate it with him because he was, you know, publishing Penthouse, but it was. It was a great read. If you can find any old copies of it.
Speaker 2: Well, it's just like the guy who published Hustler. He published a lot of other stuff too, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there for a while though, Larry Flynn just stuck with Hustler. That was his money maker.
Speaker 2: That's what made money. And then when he got put in the wheelchair, what were we going to do?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: Uh, you know, because they shot him somebody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but I think he really got famous over the Jerry Fallwell flap.
Speaker 2: See that made a lot of people's careers, right, the big old you know, and a bunch of lawyers. Yeah, and that's in the days of weird stuff like you know, everybody for what about Jessica Hahn remember her as a character? I mean, you know, she was the victim there of Jim Jim Baker, right, oh yeah, and Tammy Faye up until a few years ago, I think is still out there with like some new preacher husband.
Speaker 1: No, she passed away, Oh did she? Yeah, Tammy Fay died. Now Jim Baker's back out there selling survival meals in a bucket. Oh, I mixed it with a little bit of salvation on top.
Speaker 2: Well, I mixed it up. I was thinking of that. I was going to bring up meals in a bucket next because apparently they didn't do that. Well, there's people sewing them over.
Speaker 1: Let's see Tammy Faye Baker, Let's see when she kicked off.
Speaker 2: See, I had it back forget I thought Jim died and Tammy Fay was still alive. I had it backwards.
Speaker 1: Two thousand and seven.
Speaker 2: I'm just thinking back though, thinking back over all this stuff and just saying to myself, you know, we had no Internet, and yet we pulled off this crazy like trash subculture, you know, even without an Internet. Because people say, oh, you know the junk culture is because of the Internet. I don't think so. I think that, you know, the trash.
Speaker 1: And started it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well maybe cable started maybe, but then again a lot of stuff happened without it. I'm just saying, I think no matter what technology you have, the the the greasy stuff is going to find a way, you know what I mean, Like nature finds a way. You know, what's what's greasy, sallacious and like dirty. It's just it's going to find a way to creep it just is, you know. So we're out of the days when people actually have magazines, you know, but you know, and and also people used to wait for like a half hour for one dirty picture to load on their computers. You know, the technology will improve eventually, but no matter what technology you have, people find a way to pass around there. You know. Basis most what do you call that altogether? Just trashy behavior. I don't know what to put the whole category in what do you think?
Speaker 1: Hmm, I don't know. I think on that one something that would be all encompassing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's got to be a term for it though, right, like just the the trashy, the worst part, the worst byproducts of American culture all folded into one, whether it's you know, Elvis is still alive or you know, or bat Boy or you know, I've been I was impregnated, I an alien, you know, combined with Jerry Springer, combined with the Roblo sex tape and the go gos abusing male fans. I mean, if you just put it all in one bucket, what would it be? You know?
Speaker 5: Oh god, no, the demoralization, yeah, Americas, the degradation, the the d it's something the dehumanization.
Speaker 2: No, not really, because it is human. It's the it's degradations like degradation, but not quite there's a better word.
Speaker 1: But see, I mean you think of you think of other things that came out like that. I mean, look at the Kardashians. How big the Kardashians have gotten in the cult of personality and where did they come from? There was you know, a slight they were kids of a famous lawyer. But where they got their fame was a sex tape, was a rapper, then it was played by their mom and produced into what you see now as the Kardashians. It all started with a sex tape.
Speaker 2: Right, But see there you go, there's the complete boomerang. Right, you start with the OJ murder, right, the OJ murder case. And this is how we even know who the hell Robert Kardashian is, right.
Speaker 1: And yeah, and without him, you'd have never known who the hell Kim Kardashian was, right, so.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't have cared. But now you care because somebody puts out a sex tape and that boomerangs all the way around to just absolute gobblegum garbage culture because you know, it's not two salacious except you know what the rumors that she keeps having, you know, ass adjustments, you know with plastic surgery, so plastic surgery disaster and a sex tape. And the next thing you know is you got a billion dollar empire, right, and every relative she has now makes money, and you know, and that's been a weird, all encompassing world. I mean, that's actually encompassed Kanye West, right, famous athletes or semi famous athletes and supposed rappers. You know, raycon has a whole headphone company now right, whatever his name is, Ray You know what I'm saying, Like all the businesses and things that were spun off of it, it's like the spinoff that won't stop the OJ murders, the Star.
Speaker 1: That's a good way to describe it.
Speaker 2: You know, the spinoff that won't stop all beginning with you know, the Nicole said the Brown Simpson murder, right, the Nicole Brown Robinald Goldman murder. Excuse me, and that spins off into eventually the spinoff that won't stop the Kardashian junk culture. I mean, it's just and it's a whole thing unto itself. You can't argue, you know, a massive, massive media industry. And also that gives us, by the way, the spinoffs that won't stop. Everybody forgets again, Caitlyn Jenner, you wouldn't. I've never got Bruce Jenner turned it into a woman. Although you know there were people talking about that for years, you know that like long before Caitlyn Jenner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the word was out there, and then every now and then you'd see this little Bruce Sheenner was seen coming from a spa such as such, suddenly he's got long hair and suddenly he's got boobed.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It's that was that was probably the worst kept secret before the big reveal.
Speaker 2: Well, even before.
Speaker 1: The past I'll say the past twenty years.
Speaker 2: Right, and even before the boob's and the long hair, if you remember, people were making jokes saying, something's up with Bruce Jenner because he looks like I don't know if he was taking the hormones ahead of time, but people were saying, like, Bruce Jenner now looks like a woman. Even family Guy you ever see the family guy joke?
Speaker 1: No, not a family guy fan?
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, like ten years before the Caitlyn Jenner thing was out there, right, guy turns around and does this joke where they do cutaways and Stewie's supposed to be doing a USO show, right, you know, like for the troops over in Iraq or something, and he goes and now, boys, I want to show you what you're fighting for. America's an American hero, Bruce Jenner. And Bruce Jenner comes out and does like a nineteen forty striptease like he's a woman, but he's still dressed in his track uniform and all that, and Brian looks at him and goes after the cutaway. He goes, but but Stuwie, that makes no sense. Bruce Jenner is a man, and Stuie goes, No, Brian, He's actually a woman, a beautiful, powerful woman. And that was the joke like a decade before he saw Gitln Jenner on there, because it was kind of this, you know, just sort of weirdly muttered thing out there. Bruce Jenner looks feminine? Why does Bruce Jenner look feminine? He was the track star. He was a wheaties guy, right, He was actually a big star at one point, you know, just for being an olympian. What was it the seventies, right or was it the eighties?
Speaker 1: With eighties? I think, see Bruce did he have his big dcataloon.
Speaker 2: Bruce Jenner is in that weird pocket of like nineteen seventy five to nineteen eighty five where you're not really sure sure where to put him. In my mind anyway, but.
Speaker 1: Now see this, I hate this. You go and you search for Bruce Jenner and you end up getting Kitlyn Jenner. I don't want Caitlyn Jenner. I want Bruce Jenner.
Speaker 2: Well, look, I'll take that argument as soon as somebody can explain to me where the cutoff is, because nobody's got the cutoff. I know, there you go, double on Tondra, but nobody's got the cutoff.
Speaker 1: Sea Stones seventy sixth Summer Olympics.
Speaker 2: Okay, there you go. And then we what did we do? We boycotted eighty four? Was it eighty four the boycott or was it a no? Eighty was the miracle on ice? So it had to be eighty four? Right?
Speaker 1: When was Carter in?
Speaker 2: What Carter would have been eighty still? Yeah, eighty four, so Carter, I don't know. We got to look at that. When did we boycott the Olympics? Remember there was a boycott and we didn't we didn't go.
Speaker 1: H hold on, Yeah, it was during Carter. Let's see, Reagan was in what till eighty and then we had Bush.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, Reagan comes, Okay, Reagan's.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, Reagan's after Carter. I wanted the hell? Am I thinking right?
Speaker 2: Reagan is elected in nineteen eighty, but he doesn't take office until eighty one. Ronald Reagan, and then he remains in there till nineteen eighty nine. Then he leaves office and in eighty nine that's when Bush takes over.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, let's see US Olympic boycotts. See what comes up?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I know we boycotted one of those years because there was a whole bunch of stuff printed and then people were like, now what do we do with our raw rah? You know Usa?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was it was you were right, it was in eighty It was in eighty because it was in Moscow.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Amy's thinking that was I was thinking that was that was Carter.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, nineteen eighty is cardinal. Nineteen eighty is still Carter.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: See that's the election year they elected its right, in November of eighty but anything else Remember the election A happens in November almost at the end of the year, and b technically Reagan doesn't take office until eighty one, even though he's elected in eighty right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there were sixteen countries that took advantage of that, and it was because of the Soviet invasion in Afghanistan in December of seventy nine. Yeah, so that was still Carter.
Speaker 2: Right. So in eighty four we have the miracle on ice. Then that's the eighty four where we beat the.
Speaker 1: Russian because the Soviet Union wasn't then the eighty four they boycotted the eighty four Olympics because we bought boycotted the eighty Olympics.
Speaker 2: Well, figure out when the miracle on ice was, because now I'm having trouble with this. It had to be in there.
Speaker 1: That was the Winter Games of seventy six, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: I don't think it was that early because that would be a big Yeah. Let's look that up because that can't be See here we go, we're going back and forth in our memory and you never know.
Speaker 1: That was the Winter Olympics in eighty.
Speaker 2: Okay, Winter Olympics in eighty So back then they were.
Speaker 1: They had the Summer Games in the Winter Games at different times, right or no, they had That was the the first time they started having them in the same year, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think so, So what happens is Okay, Lake Placid and it was uh and I remember it was Lake Placid. That's nineteen eighty all right, So what happens is we have the boycott of the Summer Games.
Speaker 1: Right, we boycotted? Oh god, let's see, Yeah, we boycotted the Summer Games because they were in Russia. Okay, So what they did is they boycotted the eighty four Games in Los Angeles Summer Games. The Winter Games in nineteen eighty is when you had the miracle on ice.
Speaker 2: Right, because they were going to have okay, now I just looked it up because they were going to have it in Moscow the Summer Games. That's why. Yeah, Okay, so they boycotted it in eighty. But then we went back and did we did the Winter Olympics, and that's when you get the miracle on ice. We did this team beating the Russians.
Speaker 1: All right, We did the eighty and then when the eighty four Summer Games came around in LA that's when the Soviet and just said we're not we're boycotting it because you guys screwed us over back in Summer Games of the thing.
Speaker 2: Right. In fairness, look, in nineteen eighty I was busy with a lot of things, and I was eight years old, So I mean, you know, just saying my memory is just vague on this because it wasn't my main focus in life. You know what am I gonna say? But interesting nonetheless, Now why did we get on this?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Right, So I was trying to figure out when when Jenner was big, and apparently he did well in seventy six, so you know, he's already like on the Wheaties box and all that stuff when I'm a little kid, and Bruce Jenner was a star just for being a track star. And then he was kind of like not noticeable for a long time, you know. I mean I think they gave him some TV show roles stuff like that, you know, typical what they do, like they did with Mary lou Rettin and I think she was big at it game, I mean yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they put him on. I think ABC Sports had him as a sportscaster for a while, you know, a couple of years, right, right.
Speaker 2: Because these kind of things would happen to guys who didn't have like a professional sport to go into, because there's no professional decathlon, you know.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so they would use him at the track and field meats and the you know, the US or is it the US Nationals and things like that, and he'd always be the guest announcer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, give him that, give him the wat the Wheati's box, was always the big deal. Right, every athlete wants to be on a Wheaty's box, or at least used to be. So you got the Wheaty's box, and then of course they give him the McDonald's commercial. Right, These are like McDonald's commercial, your own shoe, you know, a sneaker, right, and in a Wheat's box. And that was like your your big prizes for no matter what kind of athlete you were, right, any kind of athlete, if you're the best at the best, then you should get the following three things. A McDonald's commercial, your own sneakers, and your face and your image on a Wheat's box.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I mean that's a given.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Bruce Jenner was one of those guys, you know, like Michael Jordan would later on get that. Right. So the best of the best, just not in the sport anybody pays to go see, which is you know, did the Cavlon So it's not a pro sport, but the best of the best nonetheless, right, I mean the professional swimmer, what was it, was it, Greg Luganis or whatever? It won a whole bunch of medals. Right.
Speaker 1: No, you're thinking, well, cogainis. Yeah, he was a gold medalist. He's the one that hit his head on the diamond board, right, he was gay. That was his big thing.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: The one that won all the medals was Mark Spitz. Spitz until this guy a few years ago, the big huge guys swimming, but yes, this was the one that Yeah, it was Mark Spitz. I think it was seven gold medals, Martl.
Speaker 2: Smitz seven gold medals, okay. Is and we do have a caller and we're in talking about Olympic Games for some reason and uh oh, Bruce Jenner, that's what brought us into it. But I'm telling you today it was a long time. Joe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, before you do that, though, you mentioned you mentioned the sneaker deals. Who was the first documented celebrity sneaker contract.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it was Jordan that was for you, that was the first gigantic one. But Chuck Taylor is ja wait wait, Chuck Taylor is the first guy I know with a.
Speaker 1: Sneaker You got it there, Chuck Taylor in nineteen thirty four, or right, the Chuck Taylor All Stars from Converse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Converse All Star But the first one that was, like you know, Mega million.
Speaker 1: Nineteen thirty four. I mean, that's well, I would think Chuck Taylor. May if I don't know who's I'll see if we can figure out who sold more shoes in today's dollars.
Speaker 2: I don't know. In today's dollars, probably Jordan, but in volumes of shoes, it has to be Chuck Taylor, because, I mean, for Christ's sake, the converse.
Speaker 1: I was raised in Chuck Taylor's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean for a long time. As a matter of fact, they went from being like the high end shoe to the cheapest possible shoe, back to the high end shoe again like three times. I mean, you know, you're talking about a shoe that's been around.
Speaker 1: That's funny. When I was in kid. When I was a kid, they were expensive. When I went in army, you could buy him for next to nothing. And then when I get out of the army, suddenly they're fifty bucks a pair, sixty bucks pair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I'm saying. They've gone in and out of style. Like I remember when I was a little kid, they were cheap. They were still cheap when I was a little kid, and then I got into like, you know, the around like say the grunge era of stuff, like in the nineties, and you know, Kurt Cobain's wearing him because he can afford him, you know what I mean. They had astronomical Chuck Taylor like special issues.
Speaker 1: You know it was I bought, yeah, I know, I bought a pair for my girlfriend's dog in Switzerland. I ordered them, had them delivered here, and then picked them up here before I went back over. And I spent one hundred I think it was like one hundred and forty five bucks with tax or custom pair of Chuck Taylor's right.
Speaker 2: See. And today, at a certain point, Chuck Cheelers were the equivalent of like say a twenty dollars shoe today.
Speaker 1: You know, they were cheaper than that. Oh yeah, one time they were you know, twelve bucks a.
Speaker 2: Pair, right, right. They were practically like what did we used to go no name sneakers. We used to call skippies, right, That's what we called them. You know some brand you never heard of, or some you know, like made in Czechoslovakia or some nonsense, or made in some country that doesn't exist anymore. That's the funniest one. Sometimes you could get shoes made you know, like in a Marshal's or something. It's like, what country does this say it's from? Oh, that place doesn't even exist anymore. Literally that would happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yugoslavia. Where the hell is that?
Speaker 2: Yugoslavia. It was worse than Yugoslavia, though, I swear I saw countries on shoe brands that I never heard of at all, Like when did this place exist? And it's like, well, it was actually this republic that split up in a congo, you know, and made shoes for like six months. Here they are, and you know, and somebody imported them. But it was crazy anyways. Skippies is what we used to call the shoes that really weren't named brand. And nowadays, you know, there's lots of name brands, but for a little while there it was all dominated by certain stuff and not Nike. The first guy to propose that Michael Jordan's shoe deal with Nike, they thought he was nuts. They were like, this makes no sense. This hardly anybody knows that this guy is. Besides that he's not going to sell shoes, you know what I'm saying. And they became like an iconic thing, sneakers, which is weird. Anyways, we got this caller, so I wanted to get to him. You ready for that now or you got some more stuff you want to throw in on this?
Speaker 1: Nor bring them on it is.
Speaker 2: Listen, we're taking weird trips down the the what should we call this the the We're off roading in the in the land of American culture and going through some of the dark and ugly unpaved roads. How about that. That's what we're doing tonight so far. That sounds fair, of course, of course, all right, so let's get to our first caller. It looks like it's Danny from California. I think. Let's hope everything works good, Danny. How you doing, Danny?
Speaker 3: Good evening. I'm doing just fine, and it's and we're getting that feedback again.
Speaker 1: I must be too hot.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'll try and turn it down for you a little. But I did turn down a volume a little earlier before we tested it, and i'm testing it with you, so sorry about that. If I'm not doing a good job, Let's see maybe if I put the input books down any better? How about that.
Speaker 3: A little bit. I'm just having a little feet back there. But yeah, we've Merry.
Speaker 1: Christmas to all.
Speaker 3: I hope. Oh are you feeling better?
Speaker 1: Chuck?
Speaker 2: I am not in great shape, to be honest with you. I could not make it last night at all. And I don't want to describe everything that's going on, but I'm having a I'm having issues with more than just a back injury at this point, and I don't even know how to describe at all. And they can't seem to sort it out quickly because everything is appointments and hurry up and wait, you know, so I'm waiting to get word on what's actually going on, but I got problems. Like last night, for instance, I was throwing up when I didn't expect to be throwing up. And it's not because I got a virus. You know, there's something damaged in my gun.
Speaker 3: Did you get a concussion or concussion or something you got Okay.
Speaker 2: No concussion, that was November already, you know what I mean. I'm struggling with this now for two months hurt, and honestly, I'm not getting I'm not getting treatment or attention very quickly, and I'm trying to keep quiet because there's investigations and lawyers and all kinds of things. You know, so I'm not, but I'm I'm a wreck, to be honest with you. I'm just trying to keep my mouth and they tell you don't even I had to sign a special thing about not sharing on social media what's happening. So that's why it's so vague.
Speaker 3: Okay, you know, Okay, Well I'll change the subject if you want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I appreciate.
Speaker 3: I heard you talking about the Chuck Taylor's my my. My wife's got several pairs. She loves them, she loves them, and I wore them as a as a kid. In fact, when I played basketball in junior high, was the head conber uh all Stars of the High Tops with the ankles because I need the ankles support playing basketball.
Speaker 2: So yeah, did they You know, when I was a kid, they didn't make I don't take anything other than the high Tops. And it was only later in my adulthood that I started to see. Now maybe they existed before that, but they were all black. They were all that black nylon. It was you know, black, and they were the black and white shoes. They had the white tip and it.
Speaker 3: Was either it was either black or white. They didn't have now, they haven't had multi colors because my wife's good, she's she bought some green ones when she was in Chicago. She loves them.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I've seen every color. And as a matter of fact, I think there's a way you can like custom order like different different fabric, but like if you wanted to get plaid or like something that looks like a Scottish kilt, you could get a pair of Chucks made like had a Scottish kilt material. So you know, it's wild now, But at one point, I don't even remember the white ones. People tell me the white ones existed, but what I remember seeing they is just the black ones only, you know. And I also don't remember ever seeing low tops, you know, like they were all the high top sneaker and I liked them, that's for sure. And I was happy with them when they were cheap, and quite frankly, I think they were made better when they were cheap, which was a weird reversal for me. It was like they actually were more sturty. I had a pair of Chucks from the time I was thirteen to the time I was like twenty three, Like I had the same pair of Chucks that I didn't wear all the time I wore boots and other stuff, but I had the same pair of Chucks that I didn't wear out for ten years, you know, not again, not wearing them every day and probably just wearing them a couple of times a week. But literally, though, those are my go to shoes, and I wore them all the way the hell out, you know. They didn't just like one day crack after a year or two and be done or suddenly have holes in them. I had to wear those down. But somebody else I knew got a pair and like, you know, blew them out in a month. And it's not like they were in a star athlete or anything, just walking around. He just blew them out. And I'm like, how the hell do I have a pair that lasts for ten years and you get one and it doesn't last you know, a quarter of a year. But I've seen it happen, and I don't know. I don't know how they're made today, if they're like in good standing, or if they're back to boutique or are they back to cheap Where do you know where they're at now?
Speaker 3: I think they look similar everybody I know that they wear them. There's a guy I see it mass every Sunday. He's got his Chuck taylors on and he seems like he's been wearing the same pair for over decades. So it just I remember as a kid they held up pretty good. I was pretty hard on shoes to begin with. So well, yeah, a little throwback, and then then the Jordans came in, and they're still popular. Of the Jordans, I mean people pay a fortune for him.
Speaker 2: That's still pretty wild though, would be Pete doug Up. That's the first, like you know, player shoe deal, and that was done in the thirties.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, if you think about it, I mean they existed. Okay, so you're not one hundred years old, Danny, So they existed when you were a kid. Nope, you know what I mean. Michael, Yeah, Michael Jordan didn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was a little kid bottom.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, So I mean they existed when you were a little kid. But Michael Jordan didn't exist as as Michael Jordan yet, so you know that it was way ahead of him. And think about it, I mean, was there anybody else's name on a sneaker? I don't remember anybody else's name before that, so it makes perfect sense. But all the way back to you know, just after the depression, Chuck Taylor gets a sneaker deal obviously not worth the big money that Jordan gets, or I mean, I guess every athlete gets a sneaker deal now, you know, like I was saying, you get these three accomplishments as a modern athlete, you get the wheaties box, the shoes, and a McDonald's commercial almost always. And I remember that trend beginning with Mary lou rettin Believe It or Not, and and a Bruce Jenner, which you know are a similar time period to me, because you know, seventy sixty before it's not that biggest fan. But I mean think about that. That's like the weird sort of like cultural reward in America. If you're the best of the best athlete, whether you're a swimmer or a baseball player, whatever, you know, you get that. And then if there's a professional sport for you, you go pro. But other than that, you know, as an amateur athlete, that's you, that's your goal, the wheaties box, the McDonald's commercial, and the sneaker deal one way or another, right, right, So I don't know maybe I'm boiling it down too simple, but it just seems interesting to me. And again, I was thinking about these retro things from the late eighties and watching those old talk shows, which got me onto it. And that's how we ended up on you know, the spin off, that the never ending spin off of the Kardashians, which begins with the you know, the OJ murder trial. If you think about it, you know, and it's still giving, including going in weird directions like Caitlyn Jenner, you know, because would we care so much about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the funny thing is about the OJ trial is that, you know, Robert Kardashian was his lawyer before the trial. He wasn't part of the dream team. He could kind of stepped back once OJ got his big team in place. Well he was really, you know, he had really just that small little sliver of association with OJ Simpson was enough that when his daughter got caught banging on a tape with Ray J, suddenly everybody knows who she is.
Speaker 2: But you got to look back at that a little better at BP, because he was there on the dream team the whole time. Kardashian, he was there, He just wasn't he got pushed out of the lead by Johnny Cochran, but he was there from before they even arrested OJ. If you remember the Bronco chase was you know, Bob Kardashian had to come out to the cameras and go, look, we don't know where OJ is, right, and he's going we were going to take him over to surrender to the police, and he's gone. We don't know where he went.
Speaker 1: And the next thing, yeah, because they think that the Kardashian they think is the one that got rid of the suitcase for OJ, you know, when he came back off the plane.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You ever see that what is it called an American Story or whatever? It's like eight parts on the OJ Trial. You ever see that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It was John Travolta plays Robert Kardashian. Really, yeah, it's it's pretty interesting. But I watched that thing, you know, from start to finish pretty much because I was doing office work at the time and it was kind of dead because I was doing a lot of international calls, so I had to be manning the phones like at weird hours, and so during the day though, I'd get paperwork done and I'd have the OJ Trial on you know, all day because that was like all day coverage and it was gabble to gabble, and you know, this is why we know names like Judge lance Edo, you know, and Marcia Clark want to change her hairdo and everything. It's crazy to think about how many years ago that is.
Speaker 1: I wonder, I wonder how much money Ojay actually spent on all those damn lawyers. Oh well, you know they were charged in a thousand or more an hour.
Speaker 2: Well it's in the millions. But I don't think anybody's ever really calculated all of what he spent because remember, he had to hire the guy who is now, you know, a cornerstone of the the Innocence Project or whatever there. I forget his name now, was it Sheck?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Barry Shack, Barry Sheck, right.
Speaker 2: So he had to hire Barry Sheck. He had to hire Johnny Cochran. Johnny Cochran was not cheap. Bob Kardashian was still billing and uh, you know the whole way through, And there were other guys that were part of that group. There was like a oh man, there's a bunch of side characters. But how many lawyers were sitting at that table? Every day, six seven.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, I was just looking at the list. The total Dream team was about ten lawyers.
Speaker 2: Here you go, but six or seven got to sit at the same it'd be like three or po.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, a lot of the other ones were in the office. It says here that O. J. Simpson's defense team, known as the Dream Team, cost him and estimated fifty thousand dollars a day during his trial, totaling around thirteen million over the course.
Speaker 2: Well that doesn't even seem right because fifty thousand would be one hundred thousand for two days, right, So that would be one and a half million a month. And you know that there was pre trial stuff. And how long did the trial last, you know what.
Speaker 1: I'm saying, went from the end of January October.
Speaker 2: Okay, So okay, maybe it is only thirteen Well no, it can't be thirteen million. You have to be closer to twenty. I'll tell you why. Because look, if you figure that, okay, if you go with that correct piece of money there, fifty thousand a day, right, that means that you have to do that. Okay. So if you if you put it together and you make two days worth one hundred thousand you got to do two days fifteen times every month, so you got to have fifteen times one hundred thousand. Okay, that's one and a half million, right, per month. And if you imagine that there was pre trial stuff that went on for a while, and you say that there was twelve months, even, well that's eighteen Well now this is eighteen million.
Speaker 1: Well no, because you think about it. From beginning of February to October is what nine months? So you figure what you said per month, Yeah, about six million, and then you take the other four or nine million, and then the other four about thirteen. Yeah, but you said it was nine million for such and such and the duration left was half that, So yeah, about another four and a half. So push you up there at thirteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that doesn't include any of the pre trial work though. See that's just the trial.
Speaker 1: Well now I'm just talking the trial itself. Just thirteen million is what Business Insider and these other places are estimating. Yeah, for just the trial.
Speaker 2: But you know how it is with lawyers. Look, the work that they do slides into the trial, right, and you go ahead and try and separate their bills. Even they give you itemized bills. It's insane, you know, because you're making a call on a certain date, whether it's before or after the hearing, it's a follow up on the hearing, or it's in preparation for the hearing, or they're charging you to write, you know, the letters and make the phone calls ahead of time. Like every time these guys called them in jail, they were billing them, right, and they were doing that before the trial. They had to talk to them before the trial, so they had to charge them to go and sit down with them at the jail. You see what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, he's lucky they weren't charging him. Like what Fanny Willis's boyfriend down here in Georgia for one hundred and sixty hours a week. Yeah, there's only one hundred and sixty eight hours in the week.
Speaker 2: Well who the who knows, you know, because overlap and maybe it's more than one worker, right, because suddenly it's like, well, my paralegal did six hours on the same day that I did eighteen hours.
Speaker 1: So therefore, right, I had a lawyer. I had a lawyer explain it to me. He says, if I'm on a case and I think about that case for five minutes, I bill for ten minutes, he says. If I'm sitting there shaving and it just crosses my mind, he says, that's ten minutes. He says, So yeah, conceivably you could have a thirty hour day billing even though there's twenty four hours in the day.
Speaker 2: Well, the way it was explained to me by the musician shark lawyers I hired is, you know, if we do five minutes worth of work, we're not going to sit here. Billing you by the minute doesn't work that way. So the second that we start work, that's an automatic half hour. So you know, if I worked on it for ten minutes, or if I worked on a twenty nine minutes, you still getting charged for the half hour. Now, ten minutes after I finish my ten minute job, I start another ten minute job. That's another half hour, you see, So within the course of thirty minutes, I could have gotten charged for an hour just like that. That's how you double up an hour. How'es that sound to you?
Speaker 1: Fuck them? Yeah, that's why I hate lawyers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the lawyers are great people, aren't they Just saying, you know, I'm going to come up with a creative way to explain to you that you actually owe me more money, and I'm being generous by charging you for an hour and a half hour's work even though I only did twenty minutes. So realistically, you get charged for an hour's worth of work when a guy does twenty minutes worth a job. Hmm, something doesn't sound question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, are you going to be doing Aaron tonight?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, cool?
Speaker 2: Yes, Aaron is. The only trouble we had is a couple of weeks go when he suddenly pulled up on me. But otherwise he usually tells me ahead of time, Hey I'm going to be there or not, and usually I get him here he's available. So tonight they said they'll be ready to roll. Why what time is it? A we run out of time ready?
Speaker 3: Nah?
Speaker 1: No, it's about seventeen after nine, is all. I just wanted to check, and that way I know to keep an eye on the clock. We have a tendency to sometimes run late, especially if Jimmy calls it.
Speaker 2: I look, I definitely am bad for getting blind on the clock and everything else. So Danny, what else is on your mind? Though? I love when you bring up different things, you can always twist into a new direction. We don't have to stay on here, universe. Go ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've got a lot. I mean, I can either go dark or light.
Speaker 1: And I think since we're.
Speaker 3: Still in the Holy season, maybe a little bit of multi faith religion talk. How does that sound?
Speaker 2: Hey? Anything to get me out of the darkness that I'm in. Personally, I'm all for it. What do you think be perfect? Should we go? Well, I want to ask B Pete? Should we go h should we go multi faith religious talk here? What do you think of that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? In fact, if we do that, I can quickly bring in exactly what Boxing Day is because it's tied to the second day of Christmas today.
Speaker 2: Perfect. Okay, So did you hear the beginning where we were like going, gee, I don't know anything about I seem to remember I learned something about Boxing Day, but I've somehow forgotten it. So B Pete's like, yeah, it's Boxing Day, and I totally slipped my mind and I went, you know, I can't even remember what that's actually for. You want them to get into that first, or you want to go into your direction.
Speaker 3: No, No, let's let's let's let's let's have BP that direction and then we'll well I'll see if I can bounce off of that, because I've heard of that. I know a little bit, but I may have a completely different, different knowledge than bpe has. So there you got a few peak first.
Speaker 2: And I'm not recalling. So Professor B. Pete's gonna tell us about Boxing Day. Go ahead, bet Pete. Maybe we'll take a break after a little religious moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good, yeah, because we'll get into multicultures too. This is Boxing Day, also known as Offering Day. So you were correct, you know it was, you know, offering to help the poor. It's a holiday celebrated on the twenty sixth of December, the day after Christmas. Boxing Day was once a day to donate gifts to those in need, but it has evolved to become part of the Christmas festivities. It originated in the United Kingdom and is celebrated in several Commonwealth nations. Uh so we're looking at what, Canada, Australia, wherever else?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I knew it was something in Canada, Badge of the Road. Yeah. Sorry. That I could remember is that it had there was something done in Canada, but I couldn't remember much about it. Go Go ahead, good, great, and it works.
Speaker 1: Like everything that happens in Europe, they attach a bank holiday to it or a public holiday, and it may take place on the twenty seventh or twenty eighth, but they jiggle it up so it always falls during a weekday. You know, was point of having a bank holiday if you can't close down? It says to Yeah, they ensure it falls on a weekday and it is usually concurrent with the Christian festival of Saint Stephen's Day. Now, Saint Stephen's Day, I didn't realize was this big, but it says in parts of Europe such as East Spain, Catalonia, Valencia and the Ballaric Islands, the Czech Republic, Germany, Austria, Hungary, the Netherlands, Italy, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Croatia, Denmark, Finland, Catholic Romania, Sweden, Belgium, Norway, Latvia and the Republic of Ireland all celebrates Saint Stephen's Day and that's considered the second day of Christmas. So there you go. That's Boxing Day.
Speaker 2: All right, So that is Boxing Day and you have something to add to that, Danny, or you want to go in a different.
Speaker 3: Direction, Yeah, a little bit. Yeah, I was aware that Saint Stephen, it was the twenty six was Saint Stephen. You know that he's was the first martyr in the Book of Acts. He was the first martyr of the Church. So that's his celebration as Saint Stephen.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I've heard of boxing because I've had friends that are from Canada and they, you know, they would always make like a comment that this is when we rebox the gifts that we don't want or something from the past and rebox it. But I didn't that. I didn't know the origin was from England. So I learned something. But one of the things that Cal was thinking about this season, well, go ahead, what.
Speaker 1: Is it you bring that up? Have you ever honest, be honest, now, have you ever regifted a gift?
Speaker 2: Hm? Absolutely, I know, Yeah I have. You know, you have no choice if you have something that you know is of value, right, it's valuable, but it has no value to you, like you're never gonna there is no like if somebody gave me, I don't know, a spaghetti making machine, a spaghetti machine and this this happened, all right.
Speaker 1: You mentioned that the Irin gifted a breadmaking machine.
Speaker 2: But there you go. See these these food making machines. For some of us, it's like it might make sense in your head, but I am never going to use a spaghett A noodle making machine. It's just not gonna happen. So it's gonna sit there. And what am I gonna do with it?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: I know it's got value, People sell them. People get into this, they get into making their own stuff. They make cool things even, right, But that's not going to be me or anybody in my house. What am I supposed to do with the thing? Well, it's got value to it? Now, do you just go out and sell it? You know? What's better to sell it or to regift it? I don't know. I feel better regifting it than selling it, you know what I mean. It's not just I mean some people I think do it to be cheap, and that's just all they're about. It's like, let me just make sure I don't spend any money, which you know is usually the people that have plenty of money. That's probably why they have plenty of money, because they don't spend it. But the thing is, you know, it's not because I don't want to spend the money. It's because I'm looking at something going, this is going to go to waste sitting here with me. You know, It's exactly. It's got some value, but I can't do anything with it. So give it to somebody who might, right, I mean yes or no? B Pete.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. That's why I got rid of the bread making machine. I used to bread all the time and a relative, Oh, I'll give him this, And when I open it up, it's like, you know, I make I make six loaves of the time. Why am I going to waste my time with this little machine that does it all and I still have to clean up a bunch of mess. This is crazy. I'll give it to somebody else, see now.
Speaker 2: Okay, And that's another weird thing with people that judge other people when they they they give gifts, or they're you know, or they go out to look for something, you know, people giving things. I'll tell you why I got weird on this. I put out a post recently saying, and this is true, me and Frankie are going to start a card collection. Okay. And the thing is, I've had baseball cards several times. I've had a couple other collectible cards. I collected magic the Gathering cards for a bit Okay, I've said this on the show, you guys know, but I don't have any of my collections anymore, none of them. Right. So my son who's eleven, is kind of like maybe wanting to get into cards, and he wants to like buy selling trade cards, okay, And I'm like, okay, well what kind of card do you want? He has no idea what kind of card he wants. So I don't know if this kid wants baseball cards or he wants to collect, you know, a Pokemon or I don't know, you know, And what the hell am I supposed to collect alongside of them? Well, I mean, I have my preferences, but and I wouldn't mess with the magic cards again because I don't want to play. No point in collecting them if I'm not going to play. But I could see collecting baseball cards, especially because you know, I see that there's kind of a past five six years, there's been a bit of a move like online, people making channels and stuff even out of their baseball cards and opening packs and showing things, and I don't know, it's a weird sort of community thing, and I could see getting into and that would actually probably get me back into watching baseball, right, so I could see recollecting baseball cards. But given the fact that I've already had collections I enjoyed and have no idea how to begin again with no money. I said online because I suggested this to a couple of people that you know, me and Frankie are going to make card collections. They said, well, there's always free cards around and I said, okay, well free cards from where? And they said, well, you know, you can write to places, and sometimes there are people that are collectors that want to give away cards to get somebody's Like Frankie started. I said, okay, well what do you mean like and he's like, you know, companies, individual people. He said, sometimes even if you just go to the flea market and you talk to a card guy for a minute, he might give you some of his junk just to get the kids started. And I said what kind is he said, well, it could be anything. And like you said, every card guy ends up with stuff that you know, they don't want, So they end up with like you know, Batman trading cards and they don't want them, but somehow they ended up with them. They might be happy to have you clean out a box or two or take home a box or two where their crap and that might be the card that Frankie wants because you don't know, you know, he might be into it. And they make collectible cards for everything, and I mean literally everything. If you think about it, anything of interest where there's people or things, there's probably a collectible card that covers it. Even recently, the Tops Baseball Company, you know, Tops card company, Tops Gum Company, really got backed the license to do WWE cards, so they're doing wrestling cards again right now. Some of this stuff is high end, boutique whatever, but there's also an era of overproduction where there's just so much crap out there nobody cares about it, and you know, and literally there's like, you know, a whole bunch of videos online and people writing stories about you know, being given a thousand cards or ten thousand cards or buying them for five bucks or whatever. So I put out a post on Twitter and Facebook saying, hey, look, if anybody has an idea where I get some free cards, let me know because I'd like to just you know, give him to Frankie see what it is he likes. And you know, so the first guy that I was talking to in the first place, gave me a thing to fill out. It's called Baseball Buddies or something, and supposedly if you write to them and you just you know, sign up for their newsletter, they'll happily send you some free cards. Supposedly, and apparently there's other offers like that for every kind of card collecting out there. So I don't have the ability to gather and I tried to search to find it. I don't see it. But I'm being told by people in general that you know, almost any you know, football, baseball, basketball, whatever, boxing, garbage pail kids, it doesn't matter. There's almost always either a community or a company or a manufacturer that gives away cards. So I in general put out that post ask does anybody know hook me up with the information basically, and I had people get mad at me, a couple of them like saying, like, you know, it's Christmas and you're asking for free cards. I said, I mean asking where it is that everybody gets them from, because I have no idea where to find them. It's an honest thing. I'll write to whoever or tell me where it is. I can, you know, make my request or whatever. But most people's stories I'm starting to gather revolve around them just sort of being lucky, being in the right place at the right time. And it's usually a face to face thing. However, there are other people out there online who make you know, videos and posts not my personal messages, who tell stories of you know, running into it on Facebook marketplace and buying it for super cheap, or showing up to buy something else, and somebody else goes, hey, look, also take these with you and turns around and gives them a box of cards that happen to have a Babe Ruth card in it, you know, And they don't know, they don't care. It was their great grandfathers, it was their moms, it was whatever or stuff they find in a junk drawer. You know. Somebody says, please buy my junk drawer full of crap, give me ten bucks. I'll be happy, and they walk away with, you know, a handful of baseball cards that are worth half of fortune. I'm not looking to walk away with half a fortune. I was just looking for how do I start to even physically get cards in this kid's hands so he can like discern and say, you know what, I like this and don't like this. I don't know if he's going to wind up, you know, collecting basketball cards, which would be one of the least interesting things in the world to me. But but if he does that and I simultaneously collect something with him, you know, eventually, when I have some extra money, I'll go buy some packs or something and you know, see if I can get myself started a little bit. And then i'll just you know, trade and acquire on the cheap. And once I get you know, healthy again, we'll go to the flea market. That's a good place to look for stuff, and we'll be on the lookout for broad sales and all. Like what people do I think in this hobby. But some people got mad at me, like I'm asking for free stuff on Christmas, and I'm like, well, first of all, there's a million people online asking for pre stuff on Christmas. But secondly, all I was asking for was the information. So you know, I mean, obviously, if somebody wants to donate some cards to Frankie, I'll be more than happy whatever they are, as long as they're not porno or something stupid, which they make those two. By the way, you know, there's cards for strippers and Playboy models and literally porno actresses. I mean not just collectible, not not just playing cards, which, by the way, come to think of it as the only cards I actually own right now is my Aces of Spades. I have an Ace of Spades collection and a handful of other odd playing cards, which I would gladly start to even trade for some of the you know, some baseball, some old junk baseball. I'll give you some decks of playing cards, or I'll give you some of my doubles of my Aces of Spades. I'm not going to break up that collection, but because I'm going to keep that. But that's the only card collection I have. I used to have a fairly extensive collection of all New York Mets cards, and my favorite players, mainly Nolan Ryan. Expect to recollect that, but gladly I would if it's available, or I find it, or I stumble across it. And I certainly if I started collecting baseball cards, I would start to hang on to the New York Mets as much as I could, just to kind of rebuild that collection, you know, little nostalgia rebuilds that. I wouldn't be the first guy to do that, but I don't know what Frankie wants. I don't know if he's gonna want Yu gi Oh cards or you know, or cards or the presidents of the United States. I mean literally, you can't think of something that involves people doing any activity that doesn't have collectible cards. And you know what, I challenge b Pete and Danny right now, actually, and then we'll move on from this subject, go back to the religious topic. But I'll challenge you, guys, do you want to take a break and give you time to think about this, because I want you to try and come up with a couple of things that you think don't have collectible cards, Like, don't look it up, just try to come up with, say two three things that you think don't have collectible cards attached to it. Activities that involve people. Here you go, that would be the only generalized category. You try and find me a couple of things you know, outside of ridiculous. Well, actually, no, you don't have to go out and forget about the outside of ridiculous. Any activity that involves people that doesn't have a collectible card that you could focus on. You see if you can come up with two or three examples both of you. What do you think of that you want to take that challenge during the break or you want to do it now? Bpete, what do you think?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm doing now because I can't think of anything that doesn't have cards attached to it in some form or manner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't either, but maybe Danny can You want to do it now, Danny, or you want to take a break.
Speaker 3: I'm in the same boat. I can't think everything seas to have cards, and I have a little experience, not that I'm really a card collector, but they have grandchildren that are into cards and going shopping form I found out the pokemon is damn near impossible to get and found out what was my daughter informed? Because a whole bunch of grown men like to buy them up and hoard them as soon as they come out because they know they have some value to them. So are POGs They easy to find?
Speaker 1: Remember POGs?
Speaker 2: Well, see, POGs are a toy. I know they were a collectible toy, but they're a toy. I wouldn't categorize them as collectible cards, but I know they still exist. They don't have anywhere near the popularity or value they once did you know what I mean. They're kind of like beanie babies, you know what I mean. They still have some value, but yeah, nothing like what it was, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: But I look at beanie babies like bitcoin. You know, if you corner the market on beanie babies, they suddenly become worthless.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing about this, right, is that the cards are even funnier than that. Because I was gonna say, just think of any activity that isn't like outrageous or rediculous or illegal, and you know what, that's not true either, because there are collectible cards for murderers, you know, serial killer cards.
Speaker 1: That I've heard of, that.
Speaker 2: There's unsolved murder case cards. There is Most Wanted cards out there, which they actually usually put on playing card decks but become collectible where somebody's most wanted. And I don't mean just like the national one. I mean I I have a deck or had a deck literally and have the ass spades out of it from somewhere in Connecticut where they took a county and printed their fifty two most Wanted Criminals wanted posters on the cards. Okay. In other words, there's literally a collectible card for everything, anything, you can imagine.
Speaker 1: And yes, yeah, remember back during the Iraq War, they had cards out with uh certain people on them. Who was the who was the ass was Saddam the as spades, but.
Speaker 2: Ended on which kind of deck you got. There was one that officially went through the military, okay, like military people only could get a hold of them, like some general printed them up to start with. Those had the fifty two most wanted the people you wanted to kill in Iraq, okay, And those cards had Saddam Hussein is the Ace of Spades. Now there are other versions of Iraq War decks out there, and I happen to have a couple of different ones myself, and another version of them has George W. Bush as the Ace of Spades okay, and Dick Dick Cheney is also high up in there somehow too. And yeah, so you know depending you got colon pals got a card in that set, all kinds of stuff like that. Yeah, husaying is whosaying and oh I know what it was, husseyin and his two sons on the fifty two most wanted. That's what made the news because it was like, you know, when you when you get these guys, we're supposed to kill them all, Like the idea is to kill all fifty two of these key people. And one of them was named Chemical Ali. Remember they were calling the one character Chemical Ali. They were maintainer.
Speaker 1: It was in charge of the weapons, the mass destruction program.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So but that was playing cards. But on top of playing cards, there's also been a collection for Desert Storm. There's been a collection for you know, different wars. There are Vietnam Retro you know, conflict photo photo collectible cards. See it's like a baseball card as opposed to a playing card. But the Iraq wars, both of them had both collectibles and playing cards. So I'm just saying there's like literally nothing you can think of that I can't find some way or other, you know what I mean. Politics has a variety of cards. Some candidates have their own decks, you know, vote Bush Vote I have a vote Hillary vote Bush, and several vote Trump cards and my Asis page collections, you know, just stuff like that. But those are being made. I have one for JFK also because they made one during the Kennedy campaign in sixty and then there's a couple of you know, like ones that are meant to you know, be a flashback to it or whatever homage to the original deck. But you know, politicians make them, local companies make them to promote their companies. Playing cards, but collectible cards where you know, it's like a baseball card where you've got to figure on it and some sort of story or stats on the back. Some of those military cards you get a sniper and it tells you how many official kills they have, stuff like this. But they do that from everything from soldiers and firefighters in your local area. Like that's another thing is you'll see localized ones where it's like to raise money for the volunteer fire department, they release their own collectible cards. Cops in New Jersey tried to improve their uh there standing with the public and with the fact that the kids hated them in different neighborhoods by making a card out of each of the policemen so you could collect the sergeant and you know, and the commander of the watch, and you know, the chief of police had a special card. You know, this kind of thing. Literally, this is done all over the place. So I mean, I can't find a single thing in my mind there would be an activity that involves people that doesn't have a collectible card, and apparently you guys can't think of one either.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, there's a huge commercial bis War two.
Speaker 3: Nazis in the country of Germany may not find those.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, well there are Nazi trading cards.
Speaker 3: That's what I thought.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't sell I don't. I probably you go to prison for thirty years if you sold them in Germany. Are are you having trouble hear Are you having trouble hearing Danny?
Speaker 6: B Pete by the way, Oh yeah, I mean that's I try to I try to jump in when I hear a gap, and if I don't hear him, then I'll start talking and then eventually he'll start popping through a couple of words.
Speaker 1: So I really have no way of knowing who's got the mic.
Speaker 2: Okay, in real time, here's what's happening. You're you're on it. I don't know what it is. We got to figure this out with you because you're you're on a delay. You're hearing a gap. Oh really? Yeah, because well not you, Danny, You're not on the delay. But B Pete is not hearing you in real Yeah. B Pete is not hearing you in real time, and so he starts talking, is he actually yeah, he's on a regular phone and somehow you Yeah, so it's a relay not in real time between you two. So it's a real issue.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I'm not hearing. Apparently it's something in the the what is this jitsu or whatever it is you're using, it's you know, I hear delay with you as well. Yeah, so some kind of maybe I should call in I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, we'll experiment with it next week because we're actually running down to the last twenty minutes here, and I wanted to give Danny a chance to fill in because we went off on a tear and I wound up side you know, side roading here with the cards. But anyway, I don't know why people are mad at me for that. I think it's stupid and quite frankly, all I'm saying is just point me to the stuff. I'm not even asking anybody for anything except you know, tell me where I can sign up or how I can get in on all these giveaways everybody tells me about. Because I mean I literally had four or five people say to me, like, you know, you don't even have to pay. You can get him started for nothing, because people give away cards everywhere, and I'm like, okay, show me where everywhere is, you know what I mean, just to get him started at least, and I'll figure out my own collection as I go. Maybe somebody will be nice to give him baseball cards he doesn't want, or maybe he'll like baseball. We can collect them literally together. But either way, I wanted to do this activity with him, and I'm just thinking that we'll get actually much better selection of things if people from all over to place give us different ideas. And here's another thing. Some things are available in certain countries and they're either well not necessarily not available in the US, but nobody knows about them in the US. You know, Like I said, I guarantee you there's people in other countries that don't know that local police departments have literally put out like upper deck, you know, quality trading cards of their local cops. I guarantee you. You know, somebody in I don't know, let's pick a place Switzerland has no idea that that happens in America, So I assume the inverse is true. Also, there's probably stuff on you know, god knows what in other countries that I have no idea about. You know, maybe in Iran they collect the pictures of the moms and you know, the different iatolas. I don't know, who knows, you know, and in other places, maybe you get your head cut off because you're not allowed to make pictures of people. I don't know whatever, But I guarantee you there's collectible cards in other countries and who knows. So I'm just saying I just want to make that announcement on here too. If anybody knows about where to get you know, free cards or whatever, let me know, because I'll be more than happy to go send the email or you know, or apply for sign up for a newsletter or whatever it is, and you know, get him some free cards to get started with. At least they have something to look at, or if you know about a place that does it, because apparently there are card exchanges and things out there now, Like there's something called what not I think they call it. You ever heard of that bepete? What not?
Speaker 1: No, that's a new one on me.
Speaker 2: Whatnots kind of like a trading platform apparently for like card people, so they're different, like you know, influencers and stuff on there who like they do different drawings and games and things to try and encourage people. And again, at the end of the day, it's all about people going, look what I have in my collection and trading with other people, like, hey, I've got all these from nineteen eighty nine, or you know, does somebody have the elusive nineteen sixty three Fleer cards Because one year in nineteen sixty three Fleer made cards baseball cards, and then they got sued and went away, and then they didn't come back again until nineteen eighty one. You know, hard to find stuff. If somebody has some of these Fleer cards, well maybe I have a Mickey Manno, I'm willing to give up, you know. And that's another weird thing is that you have the whole grading system and these guys talk about it, so it's like an online community of people to trade baseball cards with or not just baseball. I keep saying baseball because that's what I did first. But I mean in the first cards I ever got where somebody's junk. I picked up stuff literally off the street. And then there was an older kid who was like, I have so many doubles of this other crap here, take them and here take up my beat up cards because he's a beat up and I don't want them. And I took those and started a baseball card collection. And I did that a few times. But as a little kid, that's how I got into it. It's just other people's junk had value to me. So I was kind of looking to do that. And plus he's kind of interested in the idea of being able to like if he gets a massive collection, he'd like to go set up a flea market table. He's eleven, And you know what, I encourage the idea of go ahead, buy, sell, trade, learn how things work, learn how to wheel and deal with people. And this is a little different social interaction, but whatever, I kind of think it's a good, solid idea. But anyway, here I am. So if anybody knows about where to get cards of any kind from that, I could expose the kid to the card collecting. You know, possibilities in the universe. Why not, There's many worse things I could be doing to look to educate the kid about or to expose them to. I think, and before anybody asks, yes, indeed, all the pornographic stuff you could possibly imagine is covered in collectible trading cards as well. You know, everything from like tame things like swimsuit models all the way to yep, hardcore whatever, and you know cards that are based on sexual positions and the funky stuff. There is stuff from like the nineteen seventies, which is hilarious because you know, find the genitals among the hair is usually the game there, but you know, and stuff like that, and you see like, you know, white guys with afros on there. I mean, all kinds of funky stuff in the nineteen seventies, porno cards, but you know, they exist all that. And also, oh, Asians, there's lots of like Asian women collectible cards. I don't even know these women are, but apparently they're famous for something or other and they're naked. I don't know why. And you know, the language on the card is Korean or Japanese or Vietnamese or whatever, so I can't recognize that language at all. I have no idea what they are. I just know that these are naked Asian women, you know. So everything from that to the collectible card games is available. But anyway, Yeah, anybody who has information about that, feel free to share it with me, and I will gladly report on it, talk about it in hell. Who knows, maybe Frankie could start his own little podcast off of it. You know, here's my adventures in collecting cards with my dad. I don't know. I don't think that's a bad idea. It could show you a lot of interesting things and glimpses into you know, other Americans and interacting with them. How about that good wholesome, clean fun if you ask me. But I'm a jerk as usual anyway, I wasted a lot of time on this. I'm sorry, Danny, No, I don't think you're jerk.
Speaker 3: I think I think that's great. Anything to do with your family or child or a young person, you know, especially a father's son relationship, that's great. I'm I'm I'm I'm happy. I think that's that's not being a jerk, it's being a good father.
Speaker 2: I think it's And I also think it's a good relatable it's it's a good relatable way to interact right where you don't have you know, the problems and who's going to socially What social judgment could you actually have against me for saying, you know what, I want my kid to collect baseball cards. I mean, you know, welcome, Welcome back, Beaver's dad, where you've been, right, I mean, it's a throwback of everything, you know, and I don't know. These were some of the very few and far between positive things in our culture. I thought at one time you could share something like that with, you know, with a mentor adult, a father figure of sorts. And you know, some people had dads, and some people had uncles, and some people had older brothers. But either way, it was a good way of relating to somebody on a mutual ground where you had a shared interest. And who knows, maybe that grows into us watching I mean, God knows, I'm picking out of the air ice hockey together. Maybe he gets into hockey because he likes I don't know, you know. And I've got into baseball, you know, not just because my dad watched a couple of games with me when I was very tiny. I have fond memories of that, but that only really connects to the fact that I ended up with baseball cards and then I turned on a TV. And I've told that story several times, where you know, I went back and forth on two channels. I saw the Mets and the Yankees play, and I preferred the Mets because I'm stupid, you know. Well, really it's because they didn't have a designated hitter. Now everybody does, but they didn't have a designated hitter, and just me making sense of the game, I liked that better. I thought it had more integrity. So I wanted to watch the Mets. And also they had a guy on the team with the two l's and an E at the end of his name, and I said, hey, look that guy's got a Scilian name like mine. And so yeah, it was just that simple in a six year old's brain. Sorry, but look, it's an Italian. Look it's baseball. It's just like the guys on my cards. And you know, so I'm still watching the Mets off and on. But I watched it for a long long time, all the way into the nineties, so, you know, twenty years I spent on something because baseball cards and a couple other fragmented things that happened, and I think that was probably one of the more you know, culturally acceptable things that I went through in my childhood. So I don't think it's a negative thing at all. I can't find negativity in it, you know, except, of course, there's always a corrupt corporation trying to you know, whip people and and and suck the life out of them through through whatever they can, because you know, believe me, there's corruption even in the baseball card collecting world. You know, TOPS is kind of a really a messed up corporation who takes advantage of its customers and screws people out of money and licensing and everything else. But you know, if you can put that aside and just partake in the activity, eh, not so bad, you know what I'm saying, Like, judge me for that, go ahead. But anyway, sorry, Danny, again, these are my weird thoughts, and that's what happens.
Speaker 3: I think that's great. I have some grand well, my son like collecting cards. He liked basketball, football, and when I was a child I collected. Man, I'm now really tempted to go look for my box my baseball cards I got to hit. I get cards from the early seventies, you know, you see, I just some of them are real valuable.
Speaker 1: Isn't that hilarious?
Speaker 3: Second Christmas basketball cards?
Speaker 2: Danny, let me just pause you for a second, because isn't that amazing? I bring this up right, and then you have a nostalgic reaction, which I think people have to a lot of things. But you have a nostalgic reaction, excuse me, And you just connected to what it was I was talking about because I vaguely talked about, you know, the general sort of story of me getting into it as a child. You went back to that. You got an emotional response literally okay, to that thing. And this is the organic nostalgia, the one that they don't manufacture. This is actually just related from one person to another. Right probably when we're done with the shows tonight, I'm gonna get ads for baseball card companies. But you know, my YouTube and whatnot. But the thing is, our brains are designed to pick up on this stuff. And look what happens. He went through a nicer time in his life. He's thinking back to spending time with his kids, and he's like, and I'm almost tempted to go ahead and physically reconnect with this thing. See there's something to that, that physical reconnection with something, or that physical connection to an object, which isn't about necessarily material things, but the material thing being like a gateway into something that's much larger. That emotional response, that mentality that emotional you know time period that you know this is literally the lever that make America great again works on. It's just that, you know, does it work on something that's organic, legitimate or is it manufactured and manipulated. That's the question. But what you and I just had there this reaction that you have where you're like, I'm tempted to go find what I still keep as a grown man decades later, I still do these things and I'm tempted to go get them and reconnect with them physically right now, just based on the suggestion through me telling you know, a story. And I'm not trying to get you to go reconnect or anything. It's just I'm telling a story and you did the natural thing and organically connected to it. I just wanted to point that out as you're going and please continue. You were collecting in the seventies, and I was at the tail end of the seventies. Like I said, I'm six years old, so that's nineteen seventy eight, and that means that I was picking up cards in nineteen seventy nine and eighty. That's where my collecting began. And I did that all the way through until I became homeless in the mid nineties, right, So, I mean, you know that's something I maintained for many, many years. I lost that collection, uh you know, ex wife and all. And then I got another collection that had to be abandoned later for similar reasons. But I had two collections that I that I painstakingly put together for years and years and lost them both. And still I have this urge in this idea that I'd like to reconnect to this thing that I keep losing, you know. So in this time, I think it's even better because I get to do it with my son, which I didn't get to do with the first son because you know, he didn't really grow up in my house or anything. He wasn't right there. But this opportunity I'm trying to take with it. And you were saying that your son got into card collecting. Now did you bring him to it? How did you do that?
Speaker 3: Yep? Oh he did, he did it himself. He was at Anna mm hmmm. Uh.
Speaker 2: This sucks.
Speaker 1: To the late.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, this sucks because you're you're you broke up all over the place. And now I'm looking at and now I'm looking at the damn clock and I'm no, no, no, no, it's not your fault. But not only is that you breaking up everywhere, But I'm looking at the clock. I're almost at a time. Damn. I was too long winded and I didn't even go to a break this whole time. I suck at this. I really do when I'm not myself. I'm sorry everybody. Oh man, look, Danny, I apologize that I talk too much when you were on.
Speaker 3: No Worries.
Speaker 2: But look, take this opportunity now before I start talking again. Uh, to give yourself a final word here, because I got aaron to start up in only a few minutes here on ocelly dot com radio. So please take your time to do a final sweep if you will.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, let me let me hopefully I'm not breaking up. But here's the deal. I mean, the baseball and baseball cards go back to me, you know, in the sixties, because I remember being six years old, I wanted to go play my first baseball game and my father, I remember he got tickets. It was Days versus the Oriyals or Worlds and were the world champions. My father gave up those tickets to go watch me play baseball. My grandfather bought me my first SMIT when I was six years old. We shared the same birthday, and I started collecting cards in the seventies just because other kids are doing it, and always that a connection to baseball, and my son got into My grandkids are into cards. One ers into Pokemon, when is into basketball cards. And I still hold on to an old collection that I put away and I don't see for a decade or once in a while hold out and look at it. So I think that's great. I think that's a good thing to ball with your father. And you know, my favorite all time movies The Field of Dreams, and I'm always going to be ball like a baby when he's at the end of the movie when he's playing catch.
Speaker 2: What's his dad?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Right? No, that's and that's an amazing thing. It's one of these things that we could retain as positivity right from this cultural mess that we were talking about earlier and the degradation or downgrading of American culture. We could gather up some of those good, old original pieces that weren't so bad. You know, it's just a possibility. Anyways, be Pete, anything you want to throw in before we're all done here, because The Age of Transitions begins at ten pm Eastern on Ocelli Radio Live. So up to you be Pete with the delay, can you hear me?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Be Pete. You weren't hearing me? Were you? Okay? Well be Pete if you know on hearing anything at all. Yeah, if you got a final word you want to throw in because the Age of Transitions begins at ten pm Eastern on Ocelli Radio. We got to figure out this delay issue with you, but I want to give you a final word because we're done pretty much.
Speaker 1: So go ahead, well see everybody now next week. God Oltchelli dot com. Hit the donate button, go sport your local food bank. People are still having issues out there. Other than that, we'll see you next week.
Speaker 2: And I do appreciate any and all support that does come in. Appreciate that if you hit the donate button Atocelli dot Com, it'll go right into use. It's not like I don't need everything every day at this point, and I'm not having a good time at home, but I'm keeping my comments to myself. But some days I'm sorry. I haven't been able to get to the microphone, and I'm hoping to change that. As we get into the new year, which, by the way, we're going to have that New Year's Special broadcast four hours long coming up this week on the thirty first, the best I know with Uncle's New Year's Evolution. So I hope everybody calls in, joins in, and does all that. Appreciate you guys up to this point with my last minute here, and I'm sorry that we you know, I over talked here. I didn't intend to, but we covered a lot of ground, actually, and I'm glad that Danny called in at least, and hopefully more of you will join us in the near future, because that's what makes it interesting.
Speaker 3: But