Speaker 1: You're listenings KFI AM six forty the Bill Handles show on demand on the iHeartRadio app Good Morning on a Wednesday, December fourth, hump Day. Also, we're collecting phone calls, not only money for Pastathon, which is still out there. I go to KFIAM six forty dot com slash Pastathon. But we have a new segment that we've tried a couple of times and it seems to be a lot of fun and it's we're calling it. Ask Handle anything and I will answer those questions.
Speaker 2: For the most part.
Speaker 1: You know, FCC violations, no procedures, iHeart no and too personal no, although I've answered a few that I was absolutely humiliated with last week. So if you want to ask me a question and I will answer it, here's what you do during the show.
Speaker 2: Go to the iHeart app. It's for you.
Speaker 1: If you haven't don't downloaded yet, Go to the KFI page because it's during the show. At the top of the right hand corner on the KFI page will be a micro phone. Just click onto the mic record your question. You have fifteen seconds to record a question and Neil and Ann will select the questions that I will answer and I do not know what they are. I have no idea, and I hear them for the first time as you do, and then I will spontaneously answer the question without even thinking. I might add because in case you haven't guessed it yet, I do a lot of spouting without thinking, as Neil and and will tell you.
Speaker 2: My mouth runs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my mouth runs far quicker than does my brain. And so that's always a lot of fun. It's the third go round on that.
Speaker 2: We'll see how that goes.
Speaker 1: All right, this is a story out of CNN cnn dot com, so take consider where it came from. And it's a story about Mark Zuckerberg, who at one point was dissolution with politics.
Speaker 2: He at once promoted and he was just over it.
Speaker 1: Now let's just say he is trying to smooth over his relationship with Donald Trump that has not been particularly good.
Speaker 2: And now it's being reported that Zuck Sucker calls Zuck.
Speaker 1: For short, I calls him Zuck is angling for an active role in shaping tech policy in the new administration, basically setting himself up to work directly with the president who recently threatened to jail.
Speaker 2: Him for life.
Speaker 1: Okay, and that gets interesting, and his rival, working with his rival Musk Elon Musk, who challenged him to a cage match. I mean this gets really interesting to say the least. Now, does he have much of a choice, Well, a cage match, not so necessarily, but he doesn't have much choice but to lay it on and lay it on thick with Donald Trump, as most of not only political characters do, especially the Republicans. I mean you, the sucking up to Trump is beyond anything I've ever seen. He can destroy a political career with one post on True Social. There was a keep in mind, think of now, how big is meta? Is Meta as a company? Right, I'll tell you how big. It's a one point five trillion dollar company. Trump says something on True Social, nailing it and the stock drops like a rock.
Speaker 2: Does it come back?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Probably?
Speaker 1: But Trump has the ability to kill a career if someone is a Republican with one post, he can destroy business with one posts. I don't think we've ever seen such power in a non president, in a non sitting president, he can do that. So what are you going to see? Sucking up on a level that is almost impossible to even understand. Well, you can understand it, but it's almost beyond credulity, because Trump is going to be a president that we have never seen before. He is as much a strong man as we've ever had. It's gonna be a tough row to hoe or hoe to row or hoes dealing with it. I've ever quite gotten that completely. So you're gonna see CEOs like Zuckerberg and Microsoft CEOs and all of them sucking up.
Speaker 2: And the other thing is, not only do they.
Speaker 1: Have to suck up the Trump, they have to suck up to Elon Musk because Musk is now Trump's best friend. So all of a sudden, the executives who heretofore, you know, stayed out of politics, right, not so much anymore. And now you're seeing the concept of you bend the knee or you pray, no one notices if you say nothing. And how do we know, well how many companies are backtracking on diversity equity inclusion programs, a Trump staple. Last week, Walmart said it's ending its employee training programs designed to promote racial equity, equity out and evaluate funding for pride events. Now, a lot of people are saying, and I tend to agree that these diversity, the pro gay rights not that I'm not in favor of them, but it has gone way too far.
Speaker 2: It has. It's a pendulum, it really is.
Speaker 1: When you look at the Black Lives Matter and the anti police movement after after the murder of George Floyd, it you could see the pendulum swung too far. Now are you hearing defund the police? Are you hearing disband the police?
Speaker 2: You are not.
Speaker 1: A few years ago, it was woke, woke, woke. That's disappearing. I don't even know how really know how to pronounce woke or define woke. I guess sort of, we know it when we see It's like Justice Potter during the early the early pornography cases in the seventies where First Amendment rights were decided in favor basically of pornography, and Justice Potter wrote in one of the decisions, the majority decisions advocating First Amendment rights. You know, I can't really define pornography, but I know it when I see it, and I think the same thing goes.
Speaker 2: I think when it comes to diversity programs that woke. At what point do they go too far?
Speaker 1: I really don't know, but uh, I know it when I see it, and I think that's what's going on? All right, I want to switch over to some of the nominees again. I want to spend a little bit of time talking about Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: I'm having a great time talking about that.
Speaker 1: I'm being more fair. You have to admit I'm coming down. I'm now coming back to reality and taught or Yeah. No, I was pretty anti Trump. I'm not a big fan now. But what I do is I took his statements as gospel, right, and I didn't. I really didn't think his statements were gospel. And I'm now looking at it and trying to analyzeing.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's let's get real. We've got four years coming up.
Speaker 1: Well, one of these segments that I want to do that is still kind of nuts is coming up in that At the bottom of the hour, we'll go to doctor Jim Katy.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: It's a hum day, all right. What are we looking at?
Speaker 1: Oh, Pastathon, let's talk about that for a moment.
Speaker 2: A report.
Speaker 1: As of ten pm last night, the numbers were Pastathon, we had raised nine hundred and forty five thousand dollars about one hundred thousand dollars over where we were same time last year, and about eighty thousand pounds of pasta and sauce, so that's forty tons. We hit fifty tons last year, so we're a little behind on that, but I haad of last year in terms of money. And you can still get involved if you would please. You can go to any Smart and Final store and at checkout just go ahead and put some money on the table.
Speaker 2: Or you can donate pasta and sauce.
Speaker 1: You'll see a video of me filling up a shopping cart, going through the checkout, and of course then having all the pasta sauce return to the shells.
Speaker 2: But the video looks great, doesn't it. And you can go.
Speaker 1: To any Wendy's five dollars donation or more a coupon book for a lot more than five bucks, and or go to the website and you can do that, and that's Pastathon. Our pastathon website is kfiam six forty dot com slash pastathon.
Speaker 2: And that's this of ten.
Speaker 1: O'clock last night, and I don't want to wake up Michelle to get the last numbers.
Speaker 2: Michelle worked twenty hours yesterday to putting this thing together and running it.
Speaker 1: So Michelle does that every year. Okay, real quickly, and I wish I had more time. But this has to do with another cabinet pick. Now you know that Matt Gates is gone, Pete Hegswith is probably going to be gone as Defense secretary. And now we have a pick of Tulci Gabbard who has been picked as head of National Intelligence.
Speaker 2: And she is not going to make it either.
Speaker 1: Oversight of eighteen intelligence agencies, no, oversight of coordination between US intelligence communities.
Speaker 2: And foreign governments.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: What has been the.
Speaker 1: Response in Washington among the security people. We're not happy with it. No, it's a bad choice. How about this one? Utter panic is what's going on? One of the things that Trump is doing and I don't know, really know the motivation is He's throwing people up there for cabinet position, for Senate confirmation, needed positions that are just insane. It's all a question of loyalty. I mean, what's her experience. She is Fox News contributor. She ran for Congress in Hawaii, lost, an Iraq war veteran, a very well decorated one, a staunch critic of US foreign policy. Yeah, was a surrogate for Bernie Sanders twenty sixteen presidential campaign and then switched sides and became a staunch, staunch Megaite and Trump's supporter. And she just wants the United States to get out of everything we do internationally. She formally joined the Republican Party, was a Trump rallies, offering praise for his diplomacy. America first, get out of any involvement with foreign foreign interests, but not.
Speaker 2: Just get out.
Speaker 1: She has said publicly that the invasion of Ukraine is Joe Biden's fault. He starred the invasion. Putin is innocent. He was simply defending his interests. Now there's a little bit more of that, and that's the push that Ukraine wanted to join NATO. The United States was not pushing for that, and therefore Putin, in response to that, invaded Ukraine and Joe Biden somehow is to blame.
Speaker 2: She's close to Vladimir Putin.
Speaker 1: Matter of fact, during the twenty twenty presidential campaign, she was a favorite of the Russian propaganda machine. A month into her run, there were twenty Gabbard related stories on three major Moscow based English language website. She used her platform to, in fact promote Russian interests, unflitching support for the Israel campaign in Gaza, which allowed us are going to say you betcha. And Western leaders have failed to defeat this threat because they refuse to acknowledge it must be defeated ideologically and militarily. I think the United States has said that backing up Israel on that one. The issue with the United States has was with Israel is the humanitarian aid and the utter destruction of every building in Gaza, which, by the way, I'm fine with. The problem is national security and doesn't believe, does not believe in any of our security apparatus, the national security agencies. The Pentagon has one, certainly, you've.
Speaker 2: Got the national security agencies in and.
Speaker 1: Of themselves all have There're seventeen agencies that deal with national security.
Speaker 2: She has said they are all part of the deep state.
Speaker 1: And they must be either making a part or completely redone with loyalists. I gotta tell you if I think she's gonna have a hard time in the Senate in the confirmation.
Speaker 2: Now, there will be people.
Speaker 1: There are Republicans out there who have said public it does not matter who Trump nominates, doesn't matter whatever his choice is.
Speaker 2: We are backing, we are.
Speaker 1: Voting for that person, no matter what. We don't even need Senate hearings. Let's just vote right now. Yes, yes, yes. If Charles Manson were alive and he was named attorney general, there are Republican there are Republican members, the Senate would go. I am not going to argue with President Trump's choice. It is his choice, and it is a Senate's job to confirm his choice, not to investigate, not to vote well, to vote, certainly, not to vet. It is to confirm. The Senate is simply an arm of the presidency.
Speaker 2: It's insane. It's insane. Okay that one.
Speaker 1: By the way, for those of you that are Trump supporters who scream at me, refute this one.
Speaker 2: Okay, that one.
Speaker 1: I want you to say, Oh, you're absolutely wrong. She is qualified. Matt Gates is qualified. We want people who have no experience as long as they're ideologically correct. Coming up, doctor Jim Keiney, who is well. I'll tell you his credentials. I always do to try to impress you. We have a couple of segments with Jim, and a lot of it has to.
Speaker 2: Do with fat. I love talking about fat brain decay. Alzheimer's. I love talking about that too. We'll be back.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: As We and the program on Wednesday, and we do it every Wednesday with doctor Jim Keeney. Jim is the chief medical officer for Dignity Dignity Saint Mary Medical Center in Long Beach and a board certified er.
Speaker 2: Doc Jim, Good morning, Good morning, Bill.
Speaker 1: Okay, we have some good news and we have some bad news. Let's start with let me see if I can make.
Speaker 2: The good news bad news. You know, I just I can't on this one. A non opioid pain killer.
Speaker 1: Now hopefully it is completely addictive and it will half kill you or is that not the case?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean we don't know yet, right. So the theory is this is not a narcotic. Narcotics work by altering you know, chemicals in your brain and they actually create kind of a feedback where you enjoy that feeling, and so that's what kind of is addicting. It impacts the brain. This new substance is called souzetra gene is an investigational you know medicine right now, oral pain reliever and it inhibits the sodium channels that transmit nerve impulses before the brain, like at the peripheral nerves and in the spinal cord, and so that theoretically should stop that addictive nature that's created in the brain, but it also blocks pain, So we don't know how effective it is. It's supposed to be comparable to oral opioids like you know, hydro codone or you know vicodin, norco those type of medications, but we'll see if this is.
Speaker 1: If it does pan out, this becomes a blockbuster, This becomes along the lines of viagra, along the lines of the opioids where Purdue you know, created OxyContin and just I mean it was just billions and billions of dollars.
Speaker 2: I assume I'm right on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, you know, of course, those of us who've been in the field for a while, we always have this reservation, right because about twenty years ago there was an inhaled pain reliever called penthros and that one is also not a narcotic, and we thought this was going to be the greatest thing ever. It works immediately, it's you know, in Australia, it's currently used by ambulances and like sports teams where if you have an injury and you need relief right away, the stuff works. It's known as green Whistle. I don't know where it got that name, but it also it seemed to at the higher doses we were using twenty years ago, cause liver damage, kidney damage, and so the FDA banned it in the United States, but they've altered the formulation and they've used it at lower doses and in Australia they're using it. So you know, you know, again, was that the opioid industry, the pharmaceutical industry blocking this thing or was it really that dangerous back then and now it's been improved. There's a lot of ways. Is that something like this can get tripped up before it gets to the patients.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in terms of drug clearances, the FDA and Australia has its equivalent of the FDA, and it's I'm assuming Australia provides world class medicine, just the first world medical country.
Speaker 2: How do they do it? And the FDA says no.
Speaker 3: So yeah, they I don't know, you know, there's different regulations, different ways that people look at things, and I think in our country it sounds like this particular drug anyway got banned early on, and the ability to reverse a band is a lot of you know, there's a headwind to that that you have to overcome, as opposed to maybe in a country in Australia where it wasn't banned and it was just not approved, then they were able to continue working with it, improve some efficacy and reduced impact on patients. So again, and with this other drug that we're and at the suzetro dene, you know, we don't know yet. Maybe that'll have some side effects as it comes out that are going to be unacceptable and people won't like. So we'll see. I mean, anytime a new drug, gump comes out again, I reserve judgment on it until we start seeing it in the population.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one of the stories about drugs being okay and the FDA in their version of the FDA in Europe allowed poldimide to be used right and pregnant women.
Speaker 2: I mean, there are still people around that have.
Speaker 1: These very shortened limbs where you know, I was about to make a horrible joke, by the way, I mean, do I go there, Neil and make a horrible joke about politimide victims. You know what. The minute you ask me is like one of my brothers saying, Hey, smell this. I want no part of it.
Speaker 2: Leave me out of this, all right, Jim, I'll tell you, you know what.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you the joke at the at the break, and you tell me if you're offended by that.
Speaker 2: Okay, that sounds good, Yeah it does Okay.
Speaker 1: And by the way, Pelinimide was okayed for use for I think it was a headache or a painkiller or whatever it was. And pregnant women who took it, the children were born deformed, severely deformed. And I think there was one person in the FDA that shut it down, one who said I'm not letting this in. And it saved a whole lot of people's well, a whole lot of deformed otherwise would be deformed kids not being deformed. Okay, we're gonna come back. I'm gonna tell Jim the joke, So keep me going with Jim. And then weight loss drugs they really be maybe a miracle drug, don't know. We'll finish it up with that and a couple other things with Jim Kinney.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Bill handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Looking at the store R Supreme Court diving into the issue of transgender rights. There's a challenge to Tennessee's ban on gender affirming care for minors, and the court is going to rule on that. Have no idea which way they're going to go. Also, ask handle anything. We're going to do that on Friday. And here's how you get involved. Where you can ask me any.
Speaker 2: Question you want personal not personal.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to answer certain things FCC violations, iHeart procedures violations or the policy, but pretty much everything else. And here's what you do. During the course of the show. You go to the iHeart app. You go to the KFI page. There's a microphone in the upper right hand corner. Click and simply ask the question. Neil and Ann will decide which questions I'm going to answer. I do that spontaneously. I do not know what the questions are you me, I hear it exactly at the same time, and then I get to answer those questions. And I don't want your opinion on politics. I don't care who you think you are or what you believe in.
Speaker 2: That's not what it's.
Speaker 1: About, all right, Back we go to doctor Jim Keeney where we have medical news every Wednesday. Jim, I'm looking at a story about waste weight loss drugs, and every single week it seems to be that they're doing more and more.
Speaker 2: To help people.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is beyond a magic bullet. This could actually be the kind of snake oil that they sold at the turn of the century or last century that cured everything. Except this may not be snake oil. Oh we know it's not snake oil. I mean it is Is it that good?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean last time we saw something like this was statins, where they seem to you know, they reduce your cholesterol, they reduce your chancel stroke, they reduce your chance of heart attack, and it just went on on on, and of course, you know, as we went on with those, we learn more about some side effects that might limit your use. But again also these you know, drugs that seem to treat multiple things. But yeah, so this has been I've heard whispers of this for a while now, and the studies are now starting to come out to confirm it, which is that these weight loss drugs that seem to reduce your cravings for food also seem to reduce cravings for other things. So I don't really know where this is going to end. Right now. They're saying that it reduces alcohol use because people are reporting that when they're on weight loss programs, but I bet you people are not reporting drug use in those settings. And I'm wondering if that's going to be the next thing, right that it reduces cravings for certain drugs in addition to alcohol. Who knows it might help you quit smoking. We'll see what happens in the future. But it does seem to you know, we have the satiety center in our brain where we feel satisfied, and I think that's the little trigger that tickles your brain when you use certain substances like alcohol, tobacco, or other drugs, and this seems to be impacting that that feedback center that makes you crave those things.
Speaker 1: And statins have become well, virtually everybody I know who's ever had a risk for heart cholesterol issues is taking statin.
Speaker 2: I'm certainly taking a statin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, they talked about creating a pill, especially in Europe. They were they were thinking about making this over the counter that was low dose asprian low dose beta blockers and low dose statin, so that people if they wanted to reduce their risk for heart attacks and stroke to just grab this and take it over the counter. But you know, that hasn't really taken on in the US. I don't know that it's really taken on in Europe. You know, it's really caught on in Europe. So, but but you're right, there's there's these kind of drugs just seem to have a life of their own.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: You know, I think you try and avoid taking medications when at all possible. Uh, and that's sometimes it's not possible. Or you know, you try and address these issues of heart attack, stroke and weight loss using more natural methods. But if that's not working for you, we do have options. And for a lot of people that's not working for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm thinking low dose aspirin and the state and all you have to do is add sidentophil, viagra, generic viagra, andnox monoxidant or monoxophill and you cover all the bases.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean we're a pill popping society and that definitely, you know, hits all the triggers.
Speaker 1: All right, talking about fat, we're going to end it with this belly fat. We've talked about belly fat not being particularly healthy for you.
Speaker 2: And now that goes on. This is exactly the.
Speaker 1: Opposite of the weight loss drugs, and that is belly fat now linked to brain decay and early signs of Alzheimer's.
Speaker 2: That's a tough one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So this is not just no belly fat, right. So we all have subcutaneous fat, and that's the primary fat that you see when you look at somebody who is overweight or even just a normal person, the smoothness of their skin is created by subcutaneous fat. That does cause the more fat you have under your skin and in your body, the more inflammation you have. But visceral fat, which is the fat that surrounds your organs, it's not the fat you're looking at. It's a little bit harder to detect. It does correlate. I mean, if you're overweight and you have a large waste circumference, you probably have a lot of visceral fat. But that fat is much more inflammatory. It's much more active hormonally, and it's much more disruptive to your metabolic system. So we know it creates inflammation. We think that it's the inflammation created by that visceral fat. It's also creating inflammation in the blood vessels at your brain, which lay down all these proteins that are precursors for Alzheimer's disease. And ultimately, now in this study they're showing becomes Alzheimer's disease. So you know that that's kind of the linkage. But it may be something else. It may be that that visceral fat is impacting your metabolic state or hormonally and that's creating the Alzheimer's. We don't know exactly what the link is, but there is an association there that if you have a high belly fat, you have a much higher risk of Alzheimer's.
Speaker 2: And how do you find out?
Speaker 1: I mean, as you said, looking at fat, If someone's fat, you just poke and your finger bows in. But you're talking about fat around the organs. Is it easy to determine?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: I mean from a medical standpoint, what doctors do is they look at your waiste circumference and they say, look, you've got to your waist is bigger than your shoulders. That's that's not a good ratio. So let's try and get that more in line. For research what they do as an MRI, and the MRI can show you know, different densities based on water content, typically will show you what things are. And then an MRI fat has no water in it and so it's very easy to see. And then they can use programs to calculate the total volume that they're seeing on the MRI of fat. And that's how they do it in research.
Speaker 1: All right, Jim, thank you always, great stuff.
Speaker 2: We'll catch you again next Wednesday. Take care.
Speaker 1: Hey all right, doctor Jim Keiney, chief medical Officer for Dignity Saint Mary Medical Center in Long Beach. I said, guys, we're done. Wednesday is done. We're back again tomorrow. Amy starts at five am, Neil and I join up at six and we go right till just about now. And so also a big thank you to Ann and Kono who is not here. Elmer, we have you for one more day, right, excellent, all right, let's do it.
Speaker 2: We're done. Goodbye. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 1: Catch My Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.