Speaker 1: No, it is six oh five here at Kentucky and his Morning News Coffee and Company Nick Coffee with You News Radio eight forty whas So this morning I had an audience of one outside the studio. There's a picnic table that's set up here outside for those who have not seen the set up here that we have at four Street Live the you've got put it this way. We are in what used to be the bar that was called Tango. So I'm pretty sure the first experience I had using a real id going out two bars at the age of twenty one. Probably a place that I spent more often than others in a much different time in my life obviously, was right here where I come to work every day, which is kind of weird if you think about it. But and by the way, still just one toilet here, which those who work here under and the issue with that rick you got to you gotta get with me, right, We've got State of the Ark studios here, We've got a phenomenal set up, but one toilet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's wrong with this picture? It's it's what's crazy again? Here?
Speaker 1: I am thinking it's it's wild to think we only have one toilet for the people who work here. This used to be a bar where people were in. I mean you couldn't move in here. And there was one toilet in one year old right, which led and then you know, more often than not, this is probably going to be gross to some people, but it's true. Somebody would pass out in the bathroom, which would leave one of the two. Uh, you were unable to use it because somebody was laying down in the bathroom. So you know, I missed the old building because I think we had like, uh six or seven stalls in the men's restroom yep, and we had we had other private bathrooms too, and we had so much space, so much space. Yeah, I uh that that that was me. I'm trying to think of how long they were in that spot. It was a really, really, really long time.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And sometimes it's been a while since I've done it, but for the first few years whenever I was well, actually, I guess we haven't been here that long. But on two occasions, Rick, I was driving into work on sixty five North and just I guess on autopilot and I would get off at the waters and go towards go towards our old studios and then realize, oh, I I got to turn around now.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think I did that once right after we moved down here.
Speaker 1: Ye, it's an it's a nice setup and we've got so right outside of this window. This is the only studio we have here that you can see right out of. And it's on the second level. Here there's a little picnic table which folks who work in the area they can come out and enjoy their lunch. And this morning somebody was hanging out on the on the on the picnic table here and they ended up I guess falling asleep, which I looked over and had to remind myself, Nick, you as a broadcaster, didn't put them to sleep. They were they were already looking to try to catch some sleep and then they've gone away. So it did remind me one of the first one of the first radio shows I did many many years ago, was whenever I was doing one hour per week on a smaller station here in the market. That gave me the opportunity, and they I had a consistent producer, but he was at times he wasn't able to be there. So they've been bringing somebody who was who's available to come in and help out. And I remember it was like my second time ever being live on the radio by myself, with really no other resource other than just me yapping. And I looked over through the window and the producer had fallen asleep, and I thought, I thought, Okay, I must not be doing very good. If I can't keep one listener who's with me here on the show awake, then maybe maybe that's a sign. But you know, look at me now, many many years later, I'm still able to do it and certainly still.
Speaker 2: Living the dream, as they say.
Speaker 1: But anyways, what I want to get to coming up here in just a few minutes, after we get a check of the traffic. Bobby Ellis will get us caught up on the roadways, we'll get the latest forecast from Matt Melosavich. But the crime that involves the violent crime I should say that involves juveniles children here in Louisville. It just seems to be at an all time I'm high, but surprisingly it's not. In fact, it's actually down compared to last year, which I find that to be almost unbelievable. But again I guess that's a pleasant surprise. But that even feels gross to say because any of these violent crimes involving juvenile juveniles. Rather it be than being the perpetrator or the victims sometimes both.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's not something to brag about that it's down, but it isn't quite as bad as is I guess. And again here I am doing mental gymnastics upstairs, because I don't want to act like, okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thing's okay.
Speaker 1: Only only ten miners have been killed in homicides this year, because any one of those happening is a tragic situation. But I do think it's important to note that maybe the noise in regards to how bad it's been lately, I don't think it's been exaggerated. I don't think it's I don't think it's fake news. It certainly is concerning, but maybe it's just a sign that we're now aware more so that man like, we shouldn't be turning on the news every day and seeing any violent crime. But that's not reality, that's not realistic. But the rate in which those stories featured children is just insane. But Paul Humphrey said something a few weeks ago and kind of reiterated it yesterday at a press conference and I think he spot on, and I'll admitted, hand up, it's something I hadn't really given a whole lot of thought to but he's absolutely right. So we'll get to that coming up here at about five minutes or so. But again your next check of some I will admit I was very surprised to see that youth crime here in Louisville as of right now in twenty twenty five is actually down compared to last year, and the headlines, the stories about juvenile crime has been has been a big talking point really just this I mean this summer specifically, but it is in fact down from a year ago. And I don't share those numbers to say, hey, everything's okay, but it did surprise me, and I'm sure it probably surprised some others as well. So so far in twenty twenty five, there have been ten homicide victims under eighteen that here in Louisville, which is a slight decrease from eleven at this time last year. So thirty three minors have been victims of non fatal shootings in twenty twenty five compared to forty four during the same period last year. That's a drop of eleven so overall the impact, there's twelvey were children a teen shot this year in total, which again that signs to potential progress. And I have no clue as to why it just seems like it's at an all time high. Maybe it's just because we're realizing just how I mean, these stories should never be normal, but when things happen rather consistently, and I think we're certainly at a time right now where myself, I can't speak for anybody but myself. If I wake up and get the day started and I'm looking at what news is out there locally, I mean, I'm not going to be surprised when I see that it's a that there's a story about a violent crime that involved a child, a juvenile, rather it be somebody that was the victim or the perpetrator and said crime. So these numbers are I guess encouraging that it's not as bad as it was a year ago, but still clearly this is something that we just need to do. We need, we need, and I say we like it's you know, collective effort from everybody. I'm sure somebody, maybe everybody out there can do something in some way, even if it's a tiny bit of help in the situation. I don't know what that is for each and every individual, but one thing that I think is rather obvious that just doesn't get set enough. Maybe I don't have my listening ears on, maybe I'm not listening to the right people. But this all starts with parents.
Speaker 2: I mean when it comes to.
Speaker 1: Preventing this, I mean, parents are the ones most responsible, right like, holding those accountable that that end up doing this, that's that's that's where the police come in and dealing with it after the fact.
Speaker 2: Is that's what that's that's their role.
Speaker 1: Now, obviously there's there's a lot of things that go into trying to prevent things from happening as far as just the community, but there's only so much that that they can do, meaning LMPD, law enforcement. So I mean, when you look at the enforcement, I mean, it's not enough. It it solutions have to begin at home. And he said something a couple of weeks ago, Chief Humphrey did that I just think is it's it's something that more I think should realize. Is is is the way that I mean, I'll just read you the quote. Ultimately, it is the parents in the community's responsibility to take care of this. That's what he said a couple of weeks ago. I'll further, I'll go further here in the quote, it sayce, you need to know where your kids are. If I had a mechanism to deal with parents, parents better, whose kids commit violent crowns or are caught in doing these type of crimes, I would prosecute parents all day long. Now you can't, he I mean, he knows they'll never that'll never be a reality. You'll never be able to do that at least. I don't see a scenario where you will. But I just think sometimes whenever you see these stories about crime that is violent involving children, people just say, well, l andpd's got to get this cleaned up, what's going on with this city. But the expectation should never be that they're responsible, Meaning LMPD is responsible for knowing where your kids are at all times, and if they're involved in criminal activity, they're not babysitters. I mean, blaming LMPD for a lot of things is valid. Right, They're not perfect, they'll tell you that. But when it comes to children that are early on in their life getting into a life of crime, that's because of the environment they're raised in and in their parents. And again, you could be great parents still have a kid that just ends up going down the wrong path. But clearly parents are a factor here. And I know everybody just wants to just whenever you have violent crime going on, you point the finger at LMPD and think, well, you know, they got to get this together.
Speaker 2: They got to clean the city up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they they're going to enforce things and they're gonna hold people accountable as best they can. But it starts at home. And that said, no brainer. That's really I don't mean, I don't see how anybody could dispute that. All right, let's get a quick update of trafficking weather. Also we'll get another another sports update coming your way with Scott Fitzgerald right here on New's Radio Way forty whas.
Speaker 2: Did you say free beer? John Shannon? I said, I said the two words that all men love to hear.
Speaker 1: Free Right, it's six thirty five, But when I hear free beer, it's five o'clock somewhere.
Speaker 2: Right. People still say that, Yes they do.
Speaker 1: It's still a saying so well done, Thank you, as always, mister Shannon. Let's let's reset some things, folks. If you're just now joining us. Happy Thursday. Thursday is the new Friday. We're gonna speak it into existence. It is Kentucky in his morning News. Here Coffee and Company. I am Nick Coffee As. We take you up until nine o'clock. We'll hand it off to Tony and Dwight at that point. So we still got two and a half hours left with you, So don't go anywhere, take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at whas dot com. Keep in mind this weekend, if you're gonna be out and about and it could lead to you ending up near the Kennedy Bridge, you might want to do something that keeps you from being in that area because traffic could be a nightmare. Maybe it's maybe it ends up being just some minor delays in no real issue. If so, that would be I guess best case scenario. But there will be some major major roadwork being done starting at eight o'clock on Friday. So this is this is the area on I sixty five South and it's near Hospital Curve here. So yeah, it's gonna be from eight pm Friday to five am Monday and there's gonna be lane reduction that'll continue Monday through Wednesday, but it won't be it won't be as much as we're going to see just over the weekend. So the left three lanes of I sixty five South on the Kennedy Bridge will be closed really the majority of the weekend, starting at eight pm on Friday, and ramps from I sixty four East and West and I seventy one south I sixty five South those will be closed starting at seven pm Friday. So you're going to be rerouted if you're driving to I sixty four East, I sixty four West or I seventy one North to reconnect to I sixty five South. So this is this is some work that's been in the works for quite some time. They're going to replace expansion joints, which I don't know what that is, but it sounds important. If they tell me they need to replace expansion joints on a busy, busy roadway that a lot of people travel every day, I'm going to take their word for it and say, yeah, close it down as long as you need until you get that fixed. But again, whenever they've got to work, that means there's going to be some delays. But the question I had earlier, do this day and age if you are going out? And I would say that it's not a routine thing, but I could be wrong.
Speaker 2: That's why. That's why I present the question.
Speaker 1: And I guess you guys can share your thoughts on the talkback feature within the Hour radio if you'd like. But do you do you avoid doing something when you know this is going on? Like, for example, my father lives in Southern Indiana, and I actually end up getting over there to see him every now and then. But I was gonna, says, even when if I'm not going to see my old man, now feel bad because it's always been a thing. If I'm in Southern Indiana, I want to go see gonna go. I wanna go see my dad. But sometimes we just end up over there and enjoy the nice restaurants they have in the big for a bridge area, and I would probably, you know, I could easily find a way to get there through the second Street bridge and whatnot, but I would never think, Okay, well this is gonna be so bad. I'm gonna I'm gonna not go to Southern Indiana this weekend. And maybe that's just me being foolish, because I would be the one sitting in traffic, impatient and just mad at the world, and I could have avoided it had I just you know, realized, hey, this might not be a good time to go there. But I'm not sure if many people keep that in mind on the weekends. I think we are very lucky when it comes to traffic for the most part, because we are a big ish city, and certainly there are some things that take place where traffic is really bad, and I guess it's really it's all relative, meaning if you never hit traffic and then there's you know, a few weeks where there's some roadwork being done, some accidents that gets you caught up. I mean, to you, that's bad traffic. It's based off of what you've experienced. But all it takes is me to end up in a really big city and see that level of traffic and realize we got it pretty good for the most part. And if traffic is light or non existent, I feel like you can get pretty much anywhere you want in the Louisville metro area in a pretty quick amount of time. But again, this weekend, just keep in mind you're going to be some lane closures, and that could lead to you having a delay, or maybe it could lead to you making a calling an audible here as far as your plans, because you might want to avoid that area. And I remember as a young and before I really you know, had any life experience as far as getting up and going to work every day, and you know, being an adult, I remember thinking, why do they do this on the weekends, That's when everybody wants to get out and have fun. Well, now realize, yeah, it clearly people can stay home and enjoy themselves.
Speaker 2: People have to go to work.
Speaker 1: Right when it comes to the Monday through Friday nine to five grinds. So again, just be prepared, all right. What I want to get to coming up here on the other side is an email that I think it is an email basically notification within the Amazon Prime world. If you're a Prime member, which a lot of people are, they sent out something warning Prime members of scams out there, and it's good information for you to have, and I'll certainly share that with you if you don't know what I'm talking about. But this tells me just how good people are at scamming. Where Amazon realizes these guys are good enough to where if we don't warn our customers at this level and risk, of course, you know, maybe looking bad because there's a security threat, but they realize enough people will get got. And clearly the scamming world is a lucrative business and they seem to be getting better at it every day. But we'll get to that in a lot more as we move forward. It is Kentucky and is morning news here on News Radio eight forty WHA. If you are an Amazon Prime member, and let's be real, who is not. At this point, Amazon has just hit the panic button for all two hundred and twenty million of you, which that's our audience I believe two hundred and twenty million roughly average amount who listens to the show. So again, all of you Amazon Prime members, just be aware there's there's scammers out there and they're getting really, really, really good at what they do. So they have found a way to send you text messages, emails, even phone calls telling you your Prime account is suspended and you've or you've been overcharged for something, or there's some type of sketchy log in, and of course all you got to do is click that link and give them your info and they're gonna make it all go away.
Speaker 2: They're gonna fix it for you. They're here to help you.
Speaker 1: But don't do that because that's where it could really turn into a bad situation for you. So Amazon says they shut down over fifty five thousand fishing websites last year and twelve thousand scam phone numbers. But it doesn't slow down these crooks. The emails look real. They've already got your name. Sometimes they have your zip code, and they're just trying to get you to take a bite. They want to reel you in. So if you get an Amazon message, don't tap anything. You're supposed to go directly to your account through the app or the website, check the message center, and that's where you will be notified of anything that is legitimately coming from Amazon. And I get so many spam texts and phone calls every day. I feel like it goes and it comes in waves. I don't remember a time where it was non existent for a while, but it's it. I've got like three four months where it's just terrible. And that's where I'm at right now, where I get NonStop messages and phone calls and I shouldn't say NonStop, but certainly multiple times a day, which any one time is annoying. But then there's sometimes where it's kind of minor. But nonetheless, I'm pretty sure one of them has been an Amazon thing, And I guess.
Speaker 2: I've never got a text.
Speaker 1: Message from Amazon ever before, so getting one, And I don't want to make it sound like I'm better at at sniffing something out that's a scam than other people, but maybe I am. I really don't know, But more often than not, like the messages, there's little bitty indicators that just tell me, yeah, that's not legit, like if the link is like not a legitimate Amazon link, or if the link is sent and you can't.
Speaker 2: Click on it.
Speaker 1: I think that's maybe maybe the iPhone fraud production stuff or something, because sometimes there'll be a link and you'd have to like actually copy set length and then open it in a browser on your phone for it to work, and that's usually a dead giveaway. If they're not letting you click on it, it could be it could be deemed a suspicious link. So what they all they want is your info. They can end up getting your I mean, if they can get your payment information, and they'll take anything they can get from your meeting. If they're unable to actually obtain the card numbers to start racking up fraudulent charges on your card, they'll then order stuff on Amazon and have it delivered to them. Actually happened to my sister, and I don't remember. I don't remember. I remember I grilled her about, hey, would you fall for this or you were you know, you can't sniff this stuff out. But I was just me giving my sister a hard time because look, sometimes it's really easy to get God. In fact, we had somebody that and this is this is where it really is starting to get scary. Is they can contact you rather it be through a phone call, a text message, or an email, and it's called spoofing. They can make it appear that they have a legitimate number. And I told this story not that long ago. There was somebody who was trying to scam us. When we were on vacation. I got a phone call that said that there was a suspicious charge to my debit card and they referenced a place that we had visited. But how they had that information, I don't know, But they were saying they were trying to get to get out in front of it and dispute this charge that they believed to be fraudulent.
Speaker 2: And they were right.
Speaker 1: They told me about a second charge at a store and I'm like, yeah, well, I'm thinking, oh, thank you, I'm very glad you called. And the number that they called from was the number of my bank. If I look at the back of my debit card, that phone number was there. So when they have the ability to do that, that's dangerous. But they asked enough questions and they wanted my login info and info that they should have, and it just seemed suspect. And my wife was able to determine that, yeah, this doesn't seem legit, and sure enough it wasn't. But my sister, I mean, she had got they got her login info to something and then we're able to access her email and they you know, she had a target account, a Cohle's account, and they just started purchasing stuff. I mean, And what's crazy is that obviously she you know, she had fraud protection. I think she was made whole in the grand scheme of things, even though it was just a real major inconvenience. But sometimes they're not able to get address verification to send, or they'll realize that the security is tight enough to where they're not going to ascend where they're putting in as far as the address. So she ended up getting like three free things that ended up being purchased that the scammers bought and they just couldn't get it sent where they wanted to send it. So anyways, peak careful. Amazon is not going to text you. Go to the message center within the Amazon Prime Account center and that's where you'll find out if you actually need to be notified of anything. All right, let's get a quick update of traffic in weather. Also we'll get another sports update with Scott, So don't go anywhere. Stick with us. It is Kentucky and this Morning News, Coffee and Company right here on news Radio eight forty whas