Speaker 1: Hey guys, Hey guys, and welcome to what episode are we on?
Speaker 2: Twenty seven, twenties seven of a Strange Thing podcast. I'm Mike and I'm sick, sick Austin sick Austin, and we are your host in the Strangers episode. Yeah, Austin's got a head cold.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he doesn't have the COVID I got tested. It's not COVID, So COVID. You guys can put your headphones back on. I'm not going to infect you.
Speaker 2: Yep. He's just got some kind of get a little extra nasal. That made you sound a little different. You're resonating different. Yeah, it sounds stuffy, but hey, which is kind of good because this topic has to do with stuffing envelopes? What? Yeah, because what are we going to be talking about?
Speaker 1: And this topic also makes me sick.
Speaker 2: It makes you sick, hey, or get you in trouble? Yeah right, It's got me in trouble for many, many years. Yeah. So what is their topic? V Day? No, not VD Valentine's Day. Oh Valentine's Day. I thought you were talking venereal disease, I said, day. It has a lot in common, Yeah, a lot of venereal diseases get transmitted on this day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, on this topic, venereal diseases like Valentine's Day come.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, or you know, in ancient times this was kind of a super spreader day for types of venereal disease, super spread of super spreader. But anyway, we're getting ahead of ourselves. So, yeah, today we're going to be talking about Valentine's Day. And there are a lot of strange things that surround Valentine's Day, and we thought, hey, let's do a one off here before we go to our next big series on a cool topic.
Speaker 1: And if I if I'm thinking right, which I might not be because of the night quill and stuff, this topic might kind of tie into our next topic.
Speaker 2: I think we will get there. I think it actually ties in very naturally. Yes, totally. But we don't want to get ahead of ourselves, no, sir, So I thought to start out with it might be kind of nice for us just to talk a little bit about maybe some of our own experiences with Valentine's Day. Perfect yea, does that sound good? Yeah, sounds good.
Speaker 1: It's amiliating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just remember, so Valentine's Day when you think about it, back when you were a little kid and you would go to school and you'd have to fill out like thirty or forty Valentine's to give away to all your friends in your classroom, because you do the Valentine swap and you had to be nice and you give it to all the people in your class and then you'd make Valentine's boxes, and sometimes that was even like part of the fun of it was.
Speaker 1: That was my favorite part for sure.
Speaker 2: And sometimes it even had like contests to see you could create the coolest Valentine's box?
Speaker 1: Are you coming up with the story I'm thinking of right now?
Speaker 2: Well, no, I know that story because I helped you with it, But I'm just remembering as a kid, it was quite exciting. Yeah, and then back then it wasn't quite as politically correct as it is nowadays. So sometimes you would not give people you didn't like Valentine even though you were supposed to suck yeah or something. Or if you didn't like somebody, you might even write something nasty in the Valentine tim like I hate your guts or whatever, you know, because this.
Speaker 1: Is even like a cough drop instead of a candy with their Valentine.
Speaker 2: Right, because you know, back in like the early seventies when I was in like elementary starting almost ready to go to junior high. I mean, you didn't worry about that stuff. It was not an issue. But anyway, that was always fun. And then like sometimes if a girl liked you, or you liked a girl, or you had, you know, at a little romantic interest in somebody, slip a little polaroid in the No, not a polaroid, but you give them like a little candy bar, maybe a sucker or stick a gum or something in the in the Valentine's And if you got candy, that was like a big deal. Yeah, I was like, oh, I love you, and it was sweet. I remember one Valentine's celebration in school, and this was when I was in fourth grade, and a girl gave me a Valentine and it was a little slip of paper and it said do you like me? Yes or no? And then there was do you want to kiss after school? Yes or no? And that was like my first kiss, and it was like we both closed our eyes, our lips touched for like a millisecond, and we both were so embarrassed that we just turned around the walk the.
Speaker 1: Other way, that's fourth grade.
Speaker 2: So I mean, that's my Valentine's story.
Speaker 1: Nice, but your mine's in fifth grade. I think, oh, you have a fifth grade, founth grade story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is involve kissing. No, I think maybe I know what this involves.
Speaker 1: Yeah you do. So we built our own boxes, and to me at that age, I liked building stuff and connects and legos were like my favorite thing. And we had those connects that came with I think it was for like a Ferris wheel, but it came with like a little motor just had a like a stability spot and like a driver spot. I think I just kind of came to you with, like what if we made a conveyor belt that had this motor kind of driving it? And you're like, yeah, that'd be sweet. So so you kind of helped me put together this pretty basic box. But then it had a conveyor belt with some vinyl like upholstery material we had.
Speaker 2: From our motor home.
Speaker 1: I th made the convey and we made the conveyor belt out of that, and it just spun real slow and you can go forward or backward. And yeah, I won that contest for sure.
Speaker 2: And then at might so people would put their Valentine on it and then they turned it on and then the conveyor would take it dump in.
Speaker 1: The box and then klunk and fall in the box, kind of industrial looking.
Speaker 2: I remember that that was fun.
Speaker 1: And at my like junior high graduation, my teacher, you know, when he's given me my little diploma thing or whatever they give you in junior high before you go into high school, I remember him saying, like, and Austin made a Valentine's Day box with a conveyor belt on it that actually worked. Yeah, that was pretty pretty awesome.
Speaker 2: So as I got older and I met your mom and we were engaged, we had our first Valentine together. And you know, I was poor. I was a college student. I didn't have any money, and so my big idea was, hey, we'll get together and you know, maybe I'll buy us a pizza. I think we'll watch a movie or something like that in my apartment.
Speaker 1: And the original Netflix and Jill, I guess it's called like Blockbuster and Chill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a VHS tape night rental. So your mom comes up and is Valentine's Day and she has like all these gifts that are wrapped and they're like, you know, heart shape, and and I think she bought me a pair of pants, and I sure you know all this stuff, and mom still gives me Valentine's Day, I know, right, I you know, I'm just like, oh, I just got you a pizza. Then I'm gonna eat part of And it didn't go over very well.
Speaker 1: Was she mad? She?
Speaker 2: I think she felt bad. I don't know if she was mad, but she felt bad. And then I got kind of upset because I didn't have any money, right, so I was a double jerk, and so I went out for a drive and to cool down, and I ended up going to buy youner like hot Tomali's and Junior Mints with my last two dollars. An And anyway, we worked it out, and you know, at thirty six years later, we're still going strong, even though I have almost always failed completely in the Valentine's department, which kind of makes me wonder about the whole profiteering racket commercialization of Valentine's Day, the corporate holiday. Yeah, brow, you know that Valentine's Day is the number one seller of cards. Yeah, except for one Christmas Christmas Birthday. Christmas is the number one holiday for giving cards. Valentine's Day is number two.
Speaker 1: Whoa funeral, So that's a pointless piece of trivia. But anyway, it is kind of like a consumer driven holiday. They're like candies come out in heart shapes and it's huge flowers. I mean, could you imagine owning like a flower shop or an edible arrangements or whatever around the Valentine's Day you'd be.
Speaker 2: I'm sure for like flower shops. It is probably the biggest holiday of the year as far.
Speaker 1: As one season where you get, you know, just a big dump of just people pouring in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure Valentine's Day is the biggest. And you know they start setting this up right after the Christmas season, right you start finding all the valentine stuff coming in. So do you do you have a favorite kind of Valentine's Day candy?
Speaker 1: Just any reeses that's like seasonal, like you know, a Reese's peanut butter cups, Okay, but if you get like a Santa shaped REases or a heart shaped rases or an Easter bunny, those are better. Yeah, so that would be my favorite. Mom likes those little chalk like uh, those.
Speaker 2: Little Valentine's candies that have the little sayings on them or little words it says like you are too cool or like hug me. Yes. And they're different kinds. One kind she doesn't like and one kind she does. But I don't buy him anymore. I let her buy him because I can't make a mistake. Yeah, yeah, it's a good move. Yeah.
Speaker 1: If you're gonna complain, you're gonna do it yourself.
Speaker 2: So, you know, you think about Valentine's Day. What are some of the weird traditions that surround Valentine's Day. Let's just start it locally. What are the things that people do right now around us and around Valentine's Day?
Speaker 1: I think a weird one for a lot of people because it's like the love holiday. So people when they're single on Oh, I have those wraps about Valentine's Day. You should post those good people who are single on Valentine's Day. They end up, you know, having like a little single parties. Yeah, and if they kind of like wallow and self pity or they celebrate their freedom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, usually it's the former. If they're wanting for a relationship or wanting out or maybe just got out of a relationship that they didn't want, or maybe sad because they're out of a relationship that they really want.
Speaker 1: I bet you there's a spike on Spotify of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what else, what do people do? They go out for dinner, right, you know, expensive dinner, so they spend a lot of money on food. And it's always about telling somebody that you love them. It's a love thing, you know. Microp be a good one to play after this. Okay, so maybe getting back to what we were talking about. Yeah that was rough. So yeah, it's always about, you know, making sure that you're letting somebody know that you have a potential love interest in them, right, or you do have a love interest already in them. It's not typically something where you're like saying, hey, you're a pretty nice guy, thanks for your business. I'm going to give you a Valentine. Yeah. I don't see businesses doing that.
Speaker 1: Weird.
Speaker 2: That would be weird. That's under your profession.
Speaker 1: I guess maybe there's a little more of those in Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, if you're a call girl or something like that, be So it all kind of comes down to love love of something, And honestly, it's it's not like a love like I love my kid, But usually it's kind of focused in on romantic love.
Speaker 1: Isn't there like three kinds of love in the Greek Yeah?
Speaker 2: Actually, I think there's like six different words that they use for love in the Greek Greek language, you know, well I know because I looked it up. Yeah. So, like, like the one that probably is most akin to Valentine's Day is eros heros erotic love, you know, sexual passion. Then they have philia, which is deep friendship okay, and then you have lutus, which is playful love ye the side hustle. I guess when you have a gape, which is a broad category of love for your fellow man and people like bros. And then pragma, which is a longstanding love that it's just gonna last forever like a dog. Yeah. Yeah, I guess probably they had that kind of love. Yeah. And then the last one is a felucia, oh, felicia, no felucia or felucia yeah, or love of the self ooh. Yeah. And I'm not trying to make a social commentary on this at all, but I think that's the kind of love that a lot of people in this world right now have for themselves.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people could say bye Felicia.
Speaker 2: Bye Felicia. No, I love Felicia, which is myself myself. Yeah, because I mean, just look what's going on. If people really cared about other people, I don't think half the crap that's going on would be going on. But anyway, this isn't about politics or or even morality. This is about love. This is about Valentines. Love love. Yeah, okay, we talked a little bit about what we do here in the United States. We give each other cards and we have other tradition going at the dinner chocolate chocolate.
Speaker 1: You know what really chaps my biscuits? What those heart shaped boxes and they got the assorted chocolates inside, and that's something you might get from like a realty company or.
Speaker 2: So, yes, that's true. They're very like yeah they're nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you just kind of like hand them out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you buy a bunch of it.
Speaker 1: You got kind of a lacy wrap around. And anyway, I hate it when there's no like key or what kin is this gonna be like a chocolate with like a dark chocolate inside or like some kind of like newgat going to bite into this with like some kind of like whiskey Maraschino cherry.
Speaker 2: It just goes to the show. We do a lot of strange things in the United States to celebrate Valentine's Day, right, But we aren't the only ones, right. People all over the world celebrate Valentine's Day in very weird and strange ways. One case in point, let's go to the Philippines.
Speaker 1: Good place to start.
Speaker 2: The Philippines is famous on Valentine's Day for having mass weddings, so it wouldn't be weird. So you fly to the Philippines so you can get married with like six thousand other couples in a mass wedding ceremony.
Speaker 1: That'd be kind of weird.
Speaker 2: I mean, part of the fun is well, in the United States, part of the fun is like putting everything together for the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the briders. I was like, this is my day. I've been dreaming about this since I was twelve. Through that, But if you're a parent of a bride or groom and you've had experience putting a wedding together for them, then you might be thinking, man, I wish I would have known about the Philippines.
Speaker 2: I'd given a like one hundred bucks and say, go away.
Speaker 1: Go to the Philippines, enjoy your honeymoon slash.
Speaker 2: Barriage with six thousand other people. I'll get you. I'll give you five hundred bucks, I'll buy your airplane tickets to the Philippines, and there you go. Yeah, they never come back. Yeah, you never know what happens in the Philippines.
Speaker 1: What happens in the Philippines.
Speaker 2: Days in the Philippins. You were gonna say that, Yeah, he sent me up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, both Set and Spike.
Speaker 2: There are other things that happen around the world that are really strange of Valentine's Day. So, like in the Czech Republic, people go around and they kiss hundred cherry blosses.
Speaker 1: It's like like kind of like a mistletoe that's kind of like a mistletoe, but in under cherry blossoms.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting. Supposedly, the only thing I've read is that it gives the couple's good luck for their coming marriage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's not like you see somebody under a cherry broth blossom, cherry brothel, cherry brossam. The cherry brothel sounds like a legit bill. You see somebody under your cherry bosom, brom whatever happens. It's not like you see somebody under a cherry blossom and you go kiss them. It's like you, as a couple make it a point to go under the cherry blossoming kiss.
Speaker 2: And that's an interesting thing. So February fourteenth historically, and we're gonna start talking about the deep history of Valentine's Day, but the February fourteenth is kind of one of those days where it's known as kind of the beginning of spring. So that's the day that the birds get together and they mate in some traditions. So yeah, cherry blossoms would fit right in with.
Speaker 1: That new life. Cherry's getting blossomed everywhere.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and it took me a minute. That's a good one. Just one minute. Yeah, that's what she said. Okay, we've recovered. Okay, let's let's jump on a plane. Let's go over to Wales. So over in Wales they do something even more kind of strange.
Speaker 1: Wales celebrate Valentine's Day.
Speaker 2: Well, they beach themselves.
Speaker 1: Okay, hang out with.
Speaker 2: Beaches in Wales. In Wales, they have a tradition on Valentine's Day they pay homage to their patron Saint who is Saint dwin Win Dwin Win. Yeah, And so what they do is they exchange wooden spoons spoons, yeah, finally carved wooden spoons.
Speaker 1: Finally carved wooden spoons.
Speaker 2: They spoon each other.
Speaker 1: So unlike the people of the Czech Republic, they stop at spooning yeah yeah, right, no, yeah, and Czech Republic people they just keep going okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: So that's a strange thing that they do in else. I mean, I think that's kind of cool. I have some pictures of those spoons. I'm gonna put them up on the website because they're kind of cool.
Speaker 1: That makes you think of those random older people often had, like a giant wooden spoon and a giant wooden force.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe that's why. Maybe I never thought of that.
Speaker 1: I doubt it. But so what was that the dwin when he was the patrons the patron.
Speaker 2: Saint of lovers, Yeah, the Welsh patron Saint of lovers.
Speaker 1: I wonder what miracle you have to perform.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure, but it probably has something to do with something rising from the dead.
Speaker 1: WHOA.
Speaker 2: You just gotta be careful. You don't want to confuse Dwin Win with the patron saint of the Fiagra.
Speaker 1: For reals though, I did a little research on this saint dwin win win win win win, and she was a Welsh female saint and she fell in love with a guy and he returned the feelings, and she basically prayed that God would take away this desire so she can continue with her fantatholic duties. Yeah, and apparently while she was asleep or while she was awake and in distress in the woods, an angel came to her with a sweet potion that would kind of erase all of her memories of her this lover love interest that she had in her life. And then God gave her three wishes, and one wish was that her lover's thoughts and feelings for her would be kind of like sooth and no more, and that God would fulfill the hopes and dreams of true lovers. And then the last wish that she would never marry. And all of those came true and that's why she's a saint.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, weird, that's very very unselfish, very non American. Yeah, very non American.
Speaker 1: Not the saint of Viagra.
Speaker 2: No, no, no confusion there. Well, on that happy note, let's go over to Denmark or Norway. They do something kind of interesting there. So they get their love interest an anonymous card and then they fill it out and then they sign it with dot and there is one dot for each letter of the person's name signing it. And then the person that receives it has to guess who gave them the card, and if they guess correctly, then they get a chocolate East Egg.
Speaker 1: If they chocolate Easter egg, Yeah, they get tying into holidays.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess so yeah, weird. Well, you know, Easter is close by and it's like spring and new birth and all that, you love, all of that kind of thing. If they don't guess right, then they have to buy a chocolate Easter Egg and give it to the person to say they're sorry.
Speaker 1: Oh so they kind of know or they find out later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they find out. Yeah, after they guess. Apparently they find out if they're correct. If they're correct, they get the East Egg. If they are wrong, they have to buy that person in the East Egg to say I'm sorry. Okay, let's do one more. These are kind of fun. Let's get on our love plane or love boat and let's cruise on a over to South Africa. So in South Africa, apparently it's not a lot about getting cards or receiving cards. There, they do something else. They actually write the name of somebody they care about or they have feelings for or want to be romantic with, and they attach it, pin it to their sleeve and then they walk around literally with the name of that person that they love their heart on their sleeve. Crazy, that's correct. The whole idea is that now it's public and it's out there, and so now if the person who his name is written on the sleeve returns that love, well, then maybe they will have a chance at a long relationship.
Speaker 1: It's like the original Tinder app Yeah, exactly, wipe right one year.
Speaker 2: As well and then or if they swipe left, then you you tear the heart off your sleeve and go home crying. Yeah. So apparently they call this in South Africa Luprekelia forli, which is really interesting because this is the ancient name for a Roman festival that a lot of people believe is the actual start of what we now call the Holiday of Valentines. Yeah, ancient, so I think we should go there next. Let's go ancient, go Greek let's go back.
Speaker 1: Let's go Roman in Rome. When in Rome do what Romans do, but probably use protection.
Speaker 2: Yeah, lots and lots of protection. So let's travel down the Roman road a little bit.
Speaker 1: I think we could pick any road.
Speaker 2: Lead to Rome, that's what they say. So in ancient Rome they practiced this festival called Lupercalia, and basically what it was is the celebration for the founders of Rome, which were Romulus and Remus and the she wolf that saved them. She wolf. Yeah, yeah, yeah. So the story goes that the ancient king Emilius, or maybe it's however you say it, he orders the execution of his twin nephews, Romulus and Remus, Okay, and the reason is because their mother was unfaithful. Oh yeah, so not a good deal. He's going to have these young baby twin boys thrown into the river. So on the way down, the servant has pity on them and he makes a basket and he sets them adrift in the.
Speaker 1: Type of rivers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very similar to the Moses story. So they float down the river and then the basket gets caught up in the roots of a tree, and then a she wolf comes and the she wolf takes Romulus and Remus out of the basket and nurtures them as her own cubs. Kind of wolf. Yeah, yeah, very bitch. Yeah, well maybe she was probably was nice. She was a nice bitch. Yeah. And so just to.
Speaker 1: Clarify, I mean like female dogs.
Speaker 2: I know, but you still like the shock element the word shock factor. Yeah. So anyway back to the story. After the she wolf takes care of Romulus and Remus, she basically and saves their life. And as they get older, they venture out and eventually go back and they killed the king that sentenced them to death. And after they're done with all that, they go back to the den where they were nurtured and they name it the lupercal Lupercow. That's the founding of Rome, but it's also the name of this festival. So in honor of that, these priests, later on, the Luprici priest would basically have this festival. It was bloody, it was gross, I mean, it was sexually charged. It was this kind of crazy naked semi naked ordeal. So what they would do is they would take some goats, at least one, and they would take a dog, at least one dog, and they would have animal sacrifices. No, no, no, So they go to this cave area, this den area. They would go in there and they would kill and sacrifice the goats and the dog, and then they would splatter blood on their naked bodies. And then they'd run through the town and apparently they would cut the hides of the goats into strips and as they and then they would drench them in the blood of the animal. And then as they ran through the streets, they would look for women and they would whip them with these strips of goat hide. Goat blood, goat blood hide. Wow, and the women it was a sign of being blessed. So the women would actually want to be whipped with this bloody hide, and some of them would actually bear themselves so that they could be whipped with these things while they're naked. Interesting. Yeah, it was a crazy ugly the party. Yeah, I mean, this is a kind of vile, ugly, gross stuff. And so this festival would take place. They'd have this big feast and then after to the sacrifice, they'd have the feast and all the whipping that had already taken place. Then they would meet and a lot of times this was all done like unclothed. Later on in Roman history it became more civilized and they would wear clothes and instead of being whipped nakedly, they'd get whipped on their hands, and the priests would be more chaste. Yeah, I know, it's a I mean, you read it some of the stuff, you're like, really, this really happened. Yeah. So then after the feast, they would basically have this giant lottery. It was like a meat market for humans. So what they would do is they would put their names in a jar and then the men would draw name of a woman and vice versa, and they would hook up with these people for the duration of the festival. So basically it's like this is going to be your sex partner for the rest of the festival. Crazy, and so that would take place, and then a lot of times couples sometimes would actually stay together that full year until the next festival, and then they'd switch or maybe even fall in love and stay together perpetually.
Speaker 1: Via one man weapon family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really weird. You read this stuff and you kind of feel dirty, like you want to go and take a bath or something. Because so later on things kind of got not quite as wild in that luper Kla festival, but it still took place on February fourteenth. They wanted to be blessed by the gods for plentifulness in the year to come and getting it on and getting it on, you know, to be fertile and all that kind.
Speaker 1: Of stuff, and probably kind of like, what if we tried to hook up this guy with this girl. Yeah, probably had a little of that going on in it.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean the whole drawing names and stuff. They were probably trying to like, wouldn't it be great?
Speaker 2: Like if you were like a total gomer and you just you were ugly and and you never had a chance at a girl, but that one time a year where you got to put your name in there and get drawn by lottery and hook up and maybe that one time you get lucky, you get the most beautiful woman.
Speaker 1: Darla Johanson freaking sweet in the whole city.
Speaker 2: Oh it's terrible, but that's what took place as far as the festival goes. I mean, I guess the earliest history of that is actually like sixth century BC, So I mean this is really really an old thing, and this carried on this festival was really popular through Roman times, and then later when the Roman Empire kind of had spread out, they were very very protective of the festival. Then when Christianity came on the scene in the second century, there was a lot of persecution and there was a lot of people that were converting to Christianity, and they were like saying, hey, wait, these festivals are pagan, they're bad, bad stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's about Saint.
Speaker 2: Dwywin. No, I don't think she was around them. We're like two hundred AD. Yeah, yeah, we were not there yet. So this is before Constantine, you know, made Christianity and Catholicism the official religion of Rome. Right prior to that, the Christians were like, you know, they getting majorly hurt by the emperors of Rome because they would There was a lot of persecution. They were being killed and martyr left and right. So it was during this time second third century a d that we find the origination of two and maybe even three different stories that kind of chronicle the life of the person that we now recognize as Saint Valentine, who is the patron saint of Saint Valentine's Day. So the story goes that a Catholic priest by the name of Valentine, and while he's there, the judge over his trial has a daughter who is stricken with blindness, and so he goes to Valentine because he knows Valentine's a Christian, and he says, hey, you know, I will do anything you want if you can heal my daughter, and so he does. He basically prays for the girl and she is healed. And so this judge follows what Saint Valentine says and he removes all the idols and stuff from his house and he becomes a Christian. Then the emperor finds out about it, glorious. The second is that who was I think Emperor Claudius finds out about it, and he ends up executing Saint Valentine. He chops off his head, so that's how he's martyred. So that's one of the stories. And then there's a second story that's very similar to that. I think it's a boy and that one, but they're both healed of blindness, and a lot of you know, scholars think that they're probably the same story that just got kind of change from the body of Saint Valentine's buried along this road and then later they build a shrine over it. In that story and another version of that same story, he actually Valentine falls in love with the daughter of the judge and he prays for her. She's healed, and then he ends up being martyred by Emperor Quadius. But on the night before he is martyred, before it's heads chopped off, he sends this daughter whose name was Julia, I believe a letter and he says, from your Valentine, okay, And so that's like something that's always on, like the modern Valentine's that you get now from your Valentine.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So that's kind of how the origins of Valentine's Day started, where you have this festival, ancient Roman festival called Lupercalia. During that festival you have these martyrdoms of these guys named Valentine and the stories that go along with it that by the time you get to the fifth century, you have this Pope Galacius the First who totally eliminated the practice of Lupercalia and turns it into this this Saint Valentine's Day, and so from then on it became kind of a symbol of love. Oh okay, yeah, and I don't think originally it had anything to do with like sex or romance other than the Roman pagan festival behind it, which was all about sex and fertility.
Speaker 1: It was probably one of those very stereotypical pagan manipulations where they just kind of tie it in to fit something else real quick. They're like, oh, you guys are having a Christmas party. That's when Jesus was born. Now, you know, like it kind of like this kind of like makes something that might be around the time period kind of fit into what the world's doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally. I think that's exactly right. I think you have this new power centered in this religious belief system that's gaining in popularity, and you have this emperor Constantine who comes in and makes Christianity the official religion of the whole Roman Empire, and so all these pagan things have to go away because they're evil, they're bad. So what they do is they start replacing those pagan festivals with religious ones. Yeah, what a better way to do it. We got two.
Speaker 1: Martyrs take it away from the people, like, oh, you've been celebrating this, but now you can't. He's got to like you can celebrate it. But it's not about the wolf mother orgy.
Speaker 2: It's about it's about these two martyrs that died because they were faithful. So anyway, it becomes kind of this mixed kind of thing because a lot of people don't want to give up their ancient belief festivals and feasts, and it ends up being some kind of weird hybrid. And then so now you get into the thirteenth fourteenth century and people are handing out cards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it's better than whipping each other with bloody goat skin naked. I I guess, So what if you just did that randomly? Yeah, you know, instead of it instead of your junior high box. Oh my gosh, just the classrooms started with people with the bloody goats getting.
Speaker 2: Well, first you have to rip off all your clothes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hate to even think of that be hilarious though it would be disgusting.
Speaker 2: So there's another part of it that is kind of strange when you get into Roman mythology, and that is this little character that is on a lot of Valentine's cards and we call him Cupid. So the whole origin of Cupid is another kind of Roman mythology. Cupid is the god of Love. He's the son of the goddess of love, Venus Venus. Yeah, and so the Greek counterpart is Eos Eos and the mother is Aphrodite. Yeah, they kind of go together. Yeah. So we've got in our mind this kind of cupid image of this little chubby cherub who has a little bow, little arrow, and he runs around. He's all cute, mischievous.
Speaker 1: I kind of identify myself as Cupid, kind of chubby, kind of childish, runs around with a bow and arrow, and I pull back on my target and I loose my arrow strike and I strike at the heart of my target, and I love the way it tastes.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's just sick and wrong. It brings a terrible word picture to my mind.
Speaker 1: You can just camevlage a diaper and the fluttering of my weeds. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, the actual story of Cuban is quite a bit different than that. In the real story of Cupid or Eos, whichever you want to call him, is that there is this beautiful, beautiful woman named Psyche. I mean, she's the most beautiful woman on the planet. But she's not a goddess. Psyche. Yeah, she's not a goddess. She's human. In fact, she is so beautiful that she is kind of scorned by people because she's so intimidating because of her beauty. So the dad makes a deal that somehow that she's going to get married to this like serpent creature, and so yeah, he puts her up on a rock because the guy's bo's won't come around because she's just too dang beautiful, right, So he puts up on this rock, and the Aphrodite basically is concealing that this is actually a serpent that Psyche's gonna get married to because Aphrodite was jealous of Psyche's beauty.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Psyche is so beautiful that Aphrodite gets jealous because people are worshiping her beauty rather than her own.
Speaker 1: She's all up in Aphrodite Psyche.
Speaker 2: Right, right, So there's this like cat fight going on between the god and the mortal and so yeah, we do. So anyway, she sends Cupid, her son to pure Psyche with an arrow, so she will fall in love with the serpents. Interesting, but when Cupid sees her, he's so enamored with Psyche that heid he does, he does to the point that he pierces himself so that he falls in love with Psyche nice. The problem is mortals and gods can't mary right because one's immortal, one's not mortal, and that's just not a good thing to do. So what they do is they end up having this relationship where Cupid carries Psyche off to this palace and basically he loves her, but he never lets Psyche see so they like have this relationship, but she never can look upon him, and he makes her promise that she will never look upon him and see who he is. Weird because she thinks he's a serpent, right, she thinks she married a serpent, but really it's the god of love, Cupid. He's keeping it secret for the protection of themselves, so it's all good.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 2: Psyche ends up getting knocked up. She's pregnant and she wants but she doesn't know that. She thinks it's a serpent baby, and so she decides she's going to sneak a peek at at her husband one night, So she gets a lamp and she goes over and luminates and finds out will lo and behold, it's not a serpent, aid, it's the God of love. It's eos right, and oh my gosh, things happen. And anyway, some oil from the lamp falls on Cupid and he burns a little bit, not bad, just a little bit. He gets a little burned, and he gets mad. He feels like he's betrayed, and he runs off because she promised that she never would look, but she did. She cheated. He runs off, and of course, you know, Psyche is just totally totally discouraged and depressed by this whole deal. And she's pregnant. Yeah, yeah, she canna be a single moment. So she goes and she wants to find out is there any way that she can marry Cupid and Aphrodite or Venus with depending if your Roman and Greek Afridinas Afridinas. She comes up with this wicked plan that will make it so that Psyche will never be able to marry her son. And she comes up with these four challenges that she has to do that are impossible. One of my think is for Psyche, in order for Psyche to you know, get hooked back up again with Cupid, she has to do these four things. One of them was she had to sort different types of grains. Yeah, all the different seeds and grains into different piles, and it was like a bunch of it and it was impossible task. While the ants help her, and they helped sort all these rains out, and so she passed.
Speaker 1: The yeah yeah, going upon the animal friends.
Speaker 2: Exactly so that happens. I mean, almost all of these have like a Walt Disney princess kind of ye kind of tower. It's very similar. I mean it's all the same. Right. So the second one is she had to go get like the fleece from these mountain goats cool or mountain sheep or.
Speaker 1: Whatever it was with Cupid zero.
Speaker 2: No, what was crazy is that the herd would attack anybody that got closer and they would trample him to death and kill him. And so some goddess or some faerry or somebody tells her no, no, no, wait, and then just go pick up the wool that got stuck to the briars. So she collects all that and takes it and she passes that test. There was a third one in there, some I don't remember what it is, but the fourth one was where she has to go to hell and she has to get like this secret of beauty from this goddess of the underworld. So to do that, she has to cross No, no, it wasn't her starts of the pee, like I don't know my Greek mythology. We should talk about that sometimes sometimes all the strange gods. Yeah, but anyway, so she goes and she has to cross the river stick she gets money and somebody tells her to get take money with Tory the fairy Man. She goes across. She gets this box. She brings it back and it's supposedly this this beauty, the secret of this, this goddess's beauty of the underworld, and she's taking it to aphred Iity to earn the right to marry her son. But she decides she's going to peek inside the box. She wasn't supposed to look at it. But when she opens the box, it's like death or sleep is inside this and she falls asleep like sleeping beauty. She can't wake up, falls around. So as she's there, dead or sleeping and whatever she is, Cupid comes to her rest because boy he loves her, and then he realizes it's stupid that they couldn't be married just because she's mortal and easy mortal. He ends up saving her takes her to his father, who I think is Zeus or somebody like that, and and he mixes a potion of ambrosia and gives it to Psyche and she drinks it, and lo and behold, Psyche becomes immortal. She becomes a goddess. So then eos are Cupid and Psyche live happily ever after.
Speaker 1: Nice I was thinking she'd peek in there and it was a mirror and like a little sticker that said the beauty was within you all along.
Speaker 2: That would have been a better and then she could have triumphantly just marched up to keep and said, hey, you don't want all this fine.
Speaker 1: I think Cupid wanted all of it, but he couldn't have it because of weird legalistic.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, legalistic god religions. So anyway, that's the story of Cupid. I don't know how he he got all mixed up in the whole car thing, other than the romance. He's known as the god of Love that he pierces people with love and then they are destined.
Speaker 1: To be It's kind of like a cool little thing because you don't really know why. You see somebody and you're like, WHOA. But if you imagine like a little guy like shooting a little heart shaped arrow at you. And I think if Tom and Jerry kind.
Speaker 2: Of for some reason the cat in the mouth, Yeah, and he like.
Speaker 1: Sees the cute cat and then like it and then he's like into hearts and stuff. That's what I feel.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, that kind of happens to people, and sometimes it's what do they call unrequited love, where you fall in love with somebody that's never going to return that love, and some people live their whole life that way, and they will do tremendous acts of love for that person without even the hope or possibility of ever getting that love return to the right. I guess that's kind of the way we are with our children and things. It's unconditional. Just into the stand by Stephen King. Stephen King almost said Steven Spielberg. No, he does different, a little bit different.
Speaker 1: But there's a guy, Harold Louder, and he falls in love with Franny, one of the main characters, and Franny doesn't have the same love, but he's like kind of obsessed with her. That's what I thought of, Like he's obsessed and then he gets unobsessed pretty quick.
Speaker 2: She turns into a devil or something.
Speaker 1: No, a different lady gives him the biscuits.
Speaker 2: Oh, that'll do it. Yeah, he found a different biscuits, apply biscuits.
Speaker 1: See it. Well.
Speaker 2: One thing that's weird about this whole love thing is I don't really think that you get shot by an arrow and then you're hopelessly loved. I think there's infatuation and lust kind of acts more like a bow and arrow. You know, it hits you and you're like instantly like and you're almost doing stupid things because it's all passion driven. But I think real love is like something that you have to determine in your mind and your heart that you're going to follow and do regardless of whether it feels good or not. Sometimes you just do it and hopefully you get some of the other stuff too, But baseline is that it's totally something you have to work at and build.
Speaker 1: Love is the bow, the arrow is just the good stuff. I don't know, it's a really bad metaphor, it it is, I don't know, but it's intentional, Yeah, it is. I don't know if I've everthing so, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know if I ever felt like I got shot by Cuban now unless he shot me an arrow.
Speaker 1: Of lust lust, I don't want to hear about that.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you'll be walking when I was younger, this doesn't happen anymore because I only have eyes for my wife. Now he bails those eyes. Always says that. But no, you know, I remember, like in high school and stuff in you'd be walking through the halls and some girls walk by and it was like, man, you got shot with love booty. But it wasn't. It was like wow, and maybe it's hormones. Maybe maybe you were shot format that's what the tip of the arrow is.
Speaker 1: It's a hormone, the dumb orphins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy. Valentine's Day is weird holiday because the origins of it are so odd. Yeah, and then it was commercialized and so now it's not so much about what the ancient things were.
Speaker 1: It's about proving a point almost to somebody.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, if you don't do it, you're in trouble.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's true. And if you can't do it because you're single, then you're supposed to be sad and depressed.
Speaker 2: I wonder how many people go get counseling after Valentine's Day, right because of unmet expectations by themselves or somebody else. Yeah too. Well, and you watch all the movies around about Valentine's Day or love, and it's all about this romance stuff that like that's why there's a Hallmark channel. Yeah, there's like expectations of what love is supposed to look like.
Speaker 1: That's the channel pretty much founded off of greeting cards.
Speaker 2: True, yeah, yeah, exactly. The weird there's a conspiracy there.
Speaker 1: I'm sure if we do about that, we can do an episod good marketing.
Speaker 2: Strange TV cards.
Speaker 1: So we got a good background of Valentine's Day and everything's kind of working into this weird god versus this god and he does this thing so this person can become a god in Roman mythology, right, Roman and Greek, which kind of brings up all this weird stuff in Roman Greek Norse between was Cupid and Eos, they're connected, they're the same, They're the same in this little story and Aphrodite and Venus and who are they connected to? Who are they connected?
Speaker 2: You can pretty much take most of the pantheon of Greek, Norse, Roman, I mean all of them, and you can tie them together. Sometimes they don't fit exactly right. But you can almost draw lines across each one of the pantheons to the same players.
Speaker 1: Sometimes they're like a combination of two different ones. Yeah, yeah, or something. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's weird, isn't it. And they have a lot of the same themes. I mean, some of them are a little more human like, Like I think the Greek gods are much more human like in the way that they're you know, having motions, and they do naughty things. They cheat on each.
Speaker 1: Other, things like that, don't know, because like Norse gods do the same thing. They're they're always getting in little bouts like this brother hates this one, and this guy slept with this guy's wife and so that guy banished this guy.
Speaker 2: And it's all kinds of weird. That is really weird, and it's fascinating. And I think that's why you're saying this is because we're planning on doing a series of episodes on strange.
Speaker 1: Gods and god and goddesses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean they're gods.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, they're easier to look at.
Speaker 2: Ones, not all of them. I heard there's this one called Medusa, Medusa douce. She just one look turns this stone don't.
Speaker 1: But maybe that's a good thing.
Speaker 2: And I don't think so.
Speaker 1: But isn't she's supposed to be like glussful and you look at her.
Speaker 2: Maybe not.
Speaker 1: Maybe she sees herself. I don't know. Maybe we'll have to look it up and tell everybody about it on our podcast.
Speaker 2: Well, no, what happens is they whip out a mirror and she sees herself and turns herself to stuff.
Speaker 1: They just whip it out.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think it was planned. Maybe it was a shield. They have a shield and she saw a reflection of the shield.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Or no, maybe she was able to see where they were by looking at the reflection.
Speaker 1: Maybe Narcissus.
Speaker 2: And then there's this whole other tie with gods, with the eloheen gods that are in the Hebrew legends of like the Watchers and the fallen Ones. Yeah, it's very interesting. All of this stuff kind of ties together tie in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's crazy. Hercules Ands and Zeus and Odin and all those guys.
Speaker 2: We talked a little bit about the weird stuff, and I'm sorry that we're not very romantic or you know, if we sucked you in thinking about we're going to be all romantic and romantic stories and then we all we did.
Speaker 1: We're both married, so romance is pretty.
Speaker 2: Much on the window. If I put that in the podcast, you are dead. That's okay. Then she will when somebody tells.
Speaker 1: Her, parents will tell her about it.
Speaker 2: You hear what he said. Yeah, maybe maybe I won't do that unless you're mean, and then I will. Well, there are stories of like people doing incredibly romantic things on Valentine's Day. We can do that next year. Yeah, that'll be next year's Next year we'll go out of the weird and we'll talk about strange dudes who are totally whooped.
Speaker 1: Women did nice women can be whipped.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, awesome. On that happy note, I hope everybody has a great Valentine's Day, and then join us in for our next series on strange Gods. It should be fascinating. There's got to be tons of cool stuff there, yeah, drange stuff.
Speaker 1: And if you guys come up with some good Valentine's Day stories, maybe it'll be a good opportunity for you guys to reminisce on past Valentine's Days or make new memories, but maybe send them into us and we can touch on them like next year.
Speaker 2: And I would also say, if you do have a loved one that you would like to reach out to and express your love for, I mean, what a better day than February fourteenth? Historically you've got like all that historical background there.
Speaker 1: Just don't whip them with bloddy goat skin.
Speaker 2: No, don't do that, that's not your thing. But do the traditional thing. Do something untraditional, you know, just maybe walk up, give them a hug and say, man, I love you. Yeah, you never go wrong.
Speaker 1: Doing them unless you're married. Don't end it right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't you better get something better?
Speaker 1: Friends, some chocolate or like a reservation somewhere.
Speaker 2: Yes, there are stores everywhere with chok full kinds of weares and stuff that you can use to make your loved one feel special. I mean teddy bear and embrace the teddy Bears, you know, dudes kind of like buying lingerie and stuff for there oh self, Yeah, what do you gratifying?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, I'll go shopping for my wife or a Valentin to day and get her launderer, which really I want, or like buying her a TV for her birthday, yeah, or a mop for Christmas don't do that, all right, Well, let's let's close this out, buddy. I think people get the.
Speaker 1: Hit, ye ye, I think they get it.
Speaker 2: They get it.
Speaker 1: Valentine's Day kind of debauchery, makes with a little bit of Catholicism, ends in a little bit of weird Roman God stuff.
Speaker 2: You can get it on Valentine's Day.
Speaker 1: Okay, So join us next time, and hopefully I'm not sick. But join us next time for some cold drinks and some strange conversationss