Speaker 1: And here we are with the Daily Minnesota Goodbye. It is our after the show podcast. If you're a new, first time listener, thank you very much. You've been here for the Begift since the beginning. Love you, thanks for being here. And we basically let you do the writing. If you write an email and that brings up a topic and we talk about it and have fun with it, you get a staff writer sticker. We've sent out probably a thousand staff writer stickers over the last couple of years. But if you write one in you never got a staff writer sticker. Send in an email, We read it and we will put your GAT address in there and we'll mail you one. Here comes an email from Nicole. Just want to share with you that today I was listening to the podcast too Hot Takes where they read read it am I the asshole stories, and we've had those two on our show before. The first topic they discussed was a man writing in about his girlfriend who expressed she wasn't happy with her engagement ring that he made for her. That led the host to bring up the Dave Ryan Show episode where the woman called in and says she didn't want the heirloom ring that her boyfriend proposed with remember that, Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: I do, I remember that.
Speaker 3: I'm sure, Hi, it's a hard memory, but yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: He was very proud of it, but he gave it to her and she's like, I don't want to use your ring style, I want a new ring. I just thought it was cool you guys were mentioned on their pod and wanted to share that it happened at the sixteen thirty two mark. Thank you Nicole that there. We are fans of them as they listen to the show, So thank you. Shout out to your whole team, Dave America's dad, Jenny, the one who really runs the show, Bailey the fun, quirky person that everybody needs in their life. And Vaunt the bitch. K I kid Vaunt who is Vont? And again I kid Vont really does balance the whole team with his talent. Please, I beg you please make a reel of Bailey's random noises from Nicole.
Speaker 2: I have them. I have a bunch of them, like saved in my phone. It's just going back into the audio and actually like pulling it and then editing it together.
Speaker 1: My favorite random noise that Bailey makes is not so much a random like eg or ug or whatever. It's the when Bailey falls down the stairs, Yes, which came about spontaneously a few weeks ago, and since you did it once a week or so, I request Bailey please fall down the stairs.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm okay that that that that when you came up with that?
Speaker 1: Was that like totally like bucket that off the top of your.
Speaker 2: Never done it before in my life until I came up with it on the spot.
Speaker 1: Amazing, Dave.
Speaker 3: When you were off last week and I think Bailly, was it mixtape game we were playing or what was it where you said squish you Oh yeah, it was flew Oh yeah, she flew off a roller coaster. And then she said and squish, And I go, that's interesting that that's the noise you would make if you fly off a roller poster roller coaster to your death.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I want to swat in a cute way. Squish. That is it?
Speaker 1: That is adorable, squish. It reminds me of random fun fact. So Neil de grass Tyson was talking about the movie Top Gun Maverick and how Tom Cruise ejects from the jet fighter at like seven thousand miles an hour and he's just fine and how Nilda grass Tyson says, he would be like a bug on a windshield. Yes, and he would not have survived that. And I know it's the whole suspension of disbelief because when you watch a show, it's like they would never do that. I was talking to somebody who works at the gym and we were talking about how whenever they watch workout movies that or movies where there's working out. Oh, I know what it was. You can tell when somebody's like in a gym movie and they're working out with a styrofoam kettlebell because there there's two it's way too easy to lift, or when somebody is lifting bar bells that are made out of foam. Sure for the movie, they're like, there's no grunting, there's no bending of the bar, there's no exertion.
Speaker 2: They're having like a full conversation as they're lifting, right, And I said, I.
Speaker 1: Get the same way when I watch a radio of movie that has a radio theme to it, Like there was one with Mel Gibson. It was called Late Night. It was terrible, and Mel Gibson worked at a talk show as a talk show host in the middle of the night and he had his staff of about thirty people and one person that answered the phone, one that pushed the buttons, one that was the producer, one was his manager. One is like, no, anybody who's working an all night talk show hot, even if they're Howard Stern. They got a crew of maybe I don't know, six people something like that. Yeah, so what if you're listening to the show whatever profession you do, when you see it portrayed in a movie, do you go, that's not how they do it. ID Tons of nurses and doctors.
Speaker 2: Do that for sure. The I mean I did like a lot of theater stuff in my life, and the TV show Smash their second season is like, how to get this play onto Broadway? And it's so easy. It's just like, oh, I'm just gonna write a musical, and then now I'm nominated for Tony, Like, oh my god. It of me insane watching that show because I was like, there's no way that it would be this easy to do any of this stuff. They didn't even workshop this musical, and here it is winning a Tony a bunch of bullcorn.
Speaker 1: But I think it's all about the suspension of disbelief.
Speaker 2: Hard for me to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So if you are a teacher, or a heavy equipment operator or a martial arts expert or whatever, and you watch a movie and you go, uh uh, that's not how they do it, get your phone out right now while you're thinking about it and send us an email to Ryan's show at KATWB dot com. That'll be a fun topic. Okay, thanks for putting a smile on my face. This is from Janelle and making me laugh out loud in public places when I'm listening on my headphones. So, my mom just had the eyelid surgery early today and is recovering beautifully. I found it funny you were all talking about it because I'd never heard of it before. My mom never really thought she had issues, but she says she can already tell she can see much better and is ready to sign my dad up to get his done. Dad doesn't have much to say about that. One of these past episodes, Day was talking about going on a walk and only saying hi to women if they looked like they were going to say hi first. That made me think about Bailey and her walking for miles and miles. I wanted to ask Bailey if she says hi to everyone you encounter on your walks.
Speaker 2: I don't usually say hi. I usually smile at them, though, so I will look up do the like closed mouth like it's a beautiful day kind of smile. And I'd say the majority of the people do not smile back at me, but when they do smile back at me, it feels lovely.
Speaker 1: So I enjoy that kind of the same thing. I mean, when I see a guy on a run, I almost always wave because he's not going to feel threatened by me. But I've become so aware and a little bit sensitive about being an older guy and creeping out young women. And I'm not kidding. I don't want to be creepy. Like when I get my caribou every morning, I usually make men nimmal conversation with the girl at the window because I don't want to bother her. I don't want to be like, oh, God, here comes that guy in the black car again. God. So I'm just minimal, like thank you, have a great day. And I might answer the trivia question. But sometimes I don't even answer the trivia question because I don't want to be a pain in the ass.
Speaker 2: Oh I don't think you would be a pain in the ass at all. I'd rather be like, the only thing that would make it weird, like if you were on a walk is if all you did was stare at me, like in the eyeballs coming up to me, stared and stared. But like if you if you just did that like I'm I'm just a nice old guy on a walk kind of smile, then I would be like, oh, what a nice old guy on a walk.
Speaker 3: I do feel like it really depends on the location that you're walking in, because I would not be like saying anything or honestly probably looking at anyone. At the Lakes and Uptown share in my own neighborhood, I like smile at everyone I walk past because it's just like very minimal people. I cross paths, okay, Whereas like you're usually when I go, it's like seven at night everywhere, oh to everything, So I just don't say and you can't you can't say, yeah, it's busy.
Speaker 2: Then I'm not smiling at everyone. But I I mean, I walk around the lakes in Uptown, but I walk on the neighborhood side, so I don't usually pass a lot of people. But if they have a dog, I just look at the dog. And I smile.
Speaker 3: I do the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I look at the dog and I smile like the dog dog.
Speaker 1: They say, Bailey seems like she would give a jolly hello to anybody and everybody that might even might even strike up a conversation and make friends along the way. Man, she is just a hoot. She is like a female Forrest Gump.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's a compliment.
Speaker 1: Well it must be, because she says you are a hoop. Yeah, Okay, enough babbling from me, all right. From staff writer Janelle Dave, I do have.
Speaker 2: A thing about your eyelid surgery from my mother. She said that one, it's hereditary because my dad got it done, but so my uncle got it done, my aunt got it done, and two of my cousins both had it done. And then my aunt said the surgery made her world so much brighter because she could see a whole lot better.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's why you've been so cranky lately.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have I been cranky lately?
Speaker 2: Crabby powder time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And Susan did tell me the other day. I'm going to tell you the truth, because you know, on this part of the podcast, we tell you things. We don't always get to talk about in the show, even though on the show we talk about almost everything. I don't think that I've been crabby lately organically, but I've been easier to set off sure. For example, on Tuesday, we had a day and I didn't get to go home, and I found myself like sitting in my car killing time because we went from the show to I had a dermatologist appointment, but no time to go home before I went to Mall of America. So I went to Mall of America. We did our fun thing over there, and then I didn't have time to go home before Ukulele Club, so I sat in my car and killed time at Mall of America. Then I drove to Ukulele Club, and when we do get out of there about eight o'clock or so. We had a great time. And then I got home and I was so tired, but I hadn't been home since five point thirty that morning. So yesterday it was Wednesday, and I had the gym and then I got home and Susan said, Carson wants to call at two o'clock because he wants to talk to us about something, and I'm like, it's one o'clock now that means I get home, I got to kill an hour before I take a nap. And I was like, God, damn it. I said, I love Carson, but I am tired of sitting and killing time. I just want to take a nap. And she said, you need to calm down, you need to get over it. And I'm like, and if Susan she's pretty tolerant of me. Yeah, but when she notices that I'm like a little too on edge, she'll tell me about it.
Speaker 2: But I was.
Speaker 1: I was like, man, I'm tired. I just got done to the gym. It's one o'clock. I want to immediately lay down and take a nap, but no, I had to wait until and when Carson said he's going to call it two, that means about two thirty. So I waited up until Carson called, and you know it was great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I would have just fallen asleep until he called, like wake me up when he calls.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, that's actually what I I was, like, really tired after the gym yesterday, and Andrew and I had plans to go play pick a ball with some friends at two, and it was like one twenty or something, so I just like lay down the coach and like was like just shake me away, and I was like kind of in and out of sleep for like twenty minutes. So we had to leave because obviously that wasn't time to like really like settle in for now in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that that's one thing that it said, such a great napping day today, and then you're gonna go have like dinner with a friend of mine, Ben from Toastmasters, and that's knowing. I don't know, somewhere near Ridgedale mall. Okay, we don't know yet. Okay, we might go to not Crave. If you say the Wild Caire, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go to go there. I was gonna. I thought you were going to say cheesecake factory, Like please don't.
Speaker 3: I think we will sit outside factory.
Speaker 2: Do you not like it? I just think it's a bit much. It's a bit much.
Speaker 1: What do you mean? A bit much?
Speaker 2: Their menu is fifteen pages long.
Speaker 3: That's that is annoying. That's weird, Like, oh my god, how do I make a decision?
Speaker 2: Everything has at least a thousand calories, not eight thousand calori, but.
Speaker 3: So does every restaurant food.
Speaker 2: And it's just a bit much. It's a bit much, Okay.
Speaker 1: I understand that the overwhelming menus are good and bad. Sometimes you go and the menu has got like fifteen pages and you're like, I have no idea, So you go back and you get the buffalo chicken wrap because you don't want to look at everything. I there was something I was gonna say, but it slipped my mind, and I'm not sure. What I was going to say is that I've been really trying to eat healthier, a lot healthier. Because I even had Susan. She was making a Walgreens run yesterday and I said, well, you pick me up some protein why powder ooh? And she's like what, Because I've heard that after you do a hard workout, you need protein to build thol's muscles. And so somebody said, well, hard boiled eggs are great, but a better way is protein way powder and mix it with anything cold, like a doctor pepper. I'm kidding, No, I don't know about that. And that's it. Do you do any protein supplements, Jenny Well, I used to.
Speaker 3: Do my mooie every single morning for like years, and then I got so sick of that. So I still do this peanut butter protein powder and my yogurt usually you guys see me eat it like almost every day, So I do that. I do have protein powder, but I don't know. Protein powder doesn't really fit in with the way that I have nutrition right now, So it just depends because I used to put it in with smoothies, but there's too much sugar in like the smoothies that I was making, So then that doesn't really work. And I don't want just protein powder, and you don't really just blend it in water.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do what I do because I don't. I don't drink it to enjoy it. I drink it to get it out of the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh I would at least make us or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they are still protein powder is still pretty high in calories.
Speaker 1: So you gotta have to pay attention to that too. That's what I've heard is you got to look at the label and make sure it's not got a lot of added sugars and things like that, so you buy the one with the minimal ingredients. So all right, hey y'all, Hey it's Janita again. She wrote yesterday about how she gave her son, I think, a brow and said sweep up these crumbs and he held it like he was I don't know, like he'd never seen a broom before sick. I think, Hi, hey, sick. Yeah, she said, thanks for helping me understand. I'm not a bad parent. I just need to make mister lazy pants learn how to do things around the house more and stop yelling mom. Can you help me now onto some random shit that just gets on my nerves? And I would like your guys opinion if it gets on yours or if I am the new Black Karen, as my friends call me number one every now and again. I want to get my big wait hold on. I want to get my big back on and make myself a big fat blt. Go to the grocery store look for the nicest tomatoes I could find. And as I'm looking for I'm like to squeeze him to make sure they're not squishy, because I frequently found they are. I'm not squeezing the hell out of them, just a little gentle squeeze to check the firmness. Then I get some Yahoo that's standing next to me, staring as if I fucking licked my hand and touched the goddamn tomato. I love your language. It's very colorful, and I appreciate it. My thing is, once you get your tomatoes and take them home, you gotta wash them off regardless. Don't stare at me as I'm doing something wrong. I want a blt, not a bl squishy tea. Oh I love this? Am I wrong for getting upset of the yahoo next to me? When you go to the store and pick a produce, don't you squeeze him to check them for firmness? Or is it just me? Love? Y'all keep doing what you're doing. I may have another random tomorrow. Lol. I give the tomatoes a little toin of token squeeze, but I don't really pick you know, if it looks brat No, not really.
Speaker 3: You lose tomato. Come here, ah, I think you can. I mean I worked at a grocery store. You can squeeze produce all you want. There's nothing wrong with that. I even eat a grape out of the bag if you want. Whoa to make sure that they're good?
Speaker 2: I mean, I knock on the watermelons without knowing what it means. I'm just like that sounds good, sounds like there's watermelon in.
Speaker 1: There, supposed to make a certain noise like a thunk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think they all kind of make a thunk if you knock on something. I feel like the nature of knocking is very thunky.
Speaker 1: The nature of knocking is very thunky. I would agree with that. Yeah, Patrick writes in so nice to hear from you and chat with you. Oh oh, this is something different. He wants to buy some of my magic tricks. So yeah, and I will get back to that one separately.
Speaker 2: I want tomatoes. The first time, actually, you had a tomato forever ago that you just put salt and pepper on, and I was like, I've never seen that happen, and so you let me try it. It was delicious, and now I want to do that all the time.
Speaker 1: Tomatoes are really they're really good vegetable because they're flavorful like celery and carrots are kind of a boring vegetable because although they are probably healthy and full of whatever vitamin and fiber, they're kind of a bland.
Speaker 3: I like.
Speaker 1: Pea pods peapods likes, and I like broccoli heads a little bit, like I don't like cauliflower. Cauliflower has no taste, and what taste it does have is bad. But I found red peppers, not bell peppers. I don't like bell peppers, but the ones that look like a pepper like in the logo of Chili's. Yeah, I like those. They're good with little tommiky ray, little tiny bit, yeah, but not terribly spicy.
Speaker 2: Have you ever eaten ground cherries, either of you?
Speaker 1: What's a ground cherry?
Speaker 2: They they kind of look like tomatillo's but they're tinier and they are technically a weed, but they just you know, grow out of the ground like anything else. But I okay, I have some in my garden and I'm gonna bring some in for you guys.
Speaker 3: Sweet.
Speaker 2: They're yes, they kind of have the consistency of a cherry tomato, but they're a little bit smaller, and yes, they're kind of sweet. And we used to grow them. I mean they would grow accidentally when I worked the Kelly farm. And they're so good, and they just you don't even harvest them like normal. They just fall off and they're in these tiny little pods that when the pods dry out that you can eat the ground cherry on the insides. Delicious, delicious.
Speaker 1: A guy named Nick writes in, and this is our last email for it Today's Minnesota Goodbye. Wanted to touch on the classes you wish you were taught. I put this on Facebook. We talked about it briefly, what classes do you think should be taught in schools? And it was everything from car repair to cooking, sewing, doing laundry, and finances and credit cards and things like that. Says I wanted to touch on the classes you wish you were taught. I thought you'd show you some of the classes offered at our local school. Now, keep in mind we're a rural school that's K twelve and one building within average ray size of thirty to thirty five kids per grade. Some of the class descriptions, but I will touch on ones offered, for example, personal economics, home improvement repair, freshwater ecology, and I love that car care, community service grade, outdoors, food preservation, and life skills. Now that's pretty cool that they offer those, because there's a lot of things that somebody wrote I think DM me last night or emailed and said their freshmen went off to college and they were the only kid on their floor that knew how to use a washer dryer. Wow, So another kid, mom or dad did laundry their entire childhood, and so they get there and they really have no idea, which seems so simple to me. You throw the clothes in. You might separate them out. Some kids do. Some kids don't. Put the colors over here, the towels over here, whatever. And you throw in an entire box, an entire box, have tied laundry detergent. Everybody knows the entire box.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's interesting. I mean I never used an entire box. Okay, maybe that's why my clothes aren't clean.
Speaker 1: Well, funny, you know how we always have trouble with the equipment. Apparently the computer box got full of data and so it cut us off right at the end of that story about laundry. So rather than take a chance that more will get cut off, we will continue tomorrow on the Minnesota Goodbye. And I'm cleaning out a bunch of files. I found one. I found a Dave's Dirt recording from twenty thirteen.
Speaker 2: That's cute and it is cute, Yes, cute.
Speaker 1: So we're going to wrap up in Minnesota Goodbye. Hey, write in and tell us I would love to hear about what you do professionally. And when you see it in a movie, you're like, ah, that's not how they do it. We don't do it that way. Send an email or about anything, or maybe Juanita, you was sending another rant about something with your colorful language. I loved it a lot. Send that into Ryanshow at KTIWB dot com. If you never had a staff writer sticker and you write in we use it, send your address in along with your email and we'll send you a staff writer sticker. Ryan Show at KADIWB dot com