Speaker 1: Meredith Lynch. Welcome back to Drunkish. It's Meredith from Oddly Specific.
Speaker 2: How are you.
Speaker 1: You were one of my first guests on this podcast. You were in my first four oh gee, and I had a blast. I'm so glad it got a lot of uh got a lot of hits. Downloads.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know. The kids are calling it on the podcast these days, dreams. I think it's downloads still for podcasts, Yeah, I think. So how's your podcast going? You know, peaks and valleys, baby peaks and valleys. But you know what, a lot of exciting things in the past. You know, it's funny. I wonder if you could relate to this. The other day, I said something is coming down the pike and I was like, is that just a Massachusetts thing? Do you remember the mass Pike from when you were He SAIDs of course, because you were like out in that part of the state too, where the mass Pike is like the big thing that comes through.
Speaker 1: Yes, coming down to the pike. I think that's that is still a saying. I think people that don't live near a pike would still say that.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right. I was just like, I'm not seeing a lot of pikes these days. I was I'm sure, I think you've got kids going back to school tomorrow, which feels fucking insane because I'm pretty sure it's fourth of July weekend, Like what what the fuck is this August tenth? They go to school? What happened?
Speaker 1: Okay, So what I wanted to talk to you about, because we've already heard listen if you don't if you want to hear more about Mara the story, which is great, just go back, and I mean, I haven't had that many episodes. I think there's like twenty eight at this point episodes.
Speaker 2: Which is not bad. But go back. Un emeritiths good. Yeah, check it out. She was either one, two, three, or four. She was in my first floor. Anyway, you can hear her whole story. It's really great. How long have you been sober exactly at this point now it's been three years. Three years. That's amazing. Good for you. Now you are very versed in the world of reality TV. You do.
Speaker 1: You have a big TikTok following, and you oftentimes comment on people in the world of television, but also just in what would you say, like just kind even social media.
Speaker 2: Social media culture internet culture. I mean, I think celebrity culture is dying, Like I think that. You know, did you watch Love Island? I didn't, but my kids did. I know some of the names. Well, let me tell ya, that is a show for girls like me, girls who used to make their barbies be slutty because all they do is just make random people make out on that show, kid, did your kids show you that? Oh they loved it? Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I fucking loved it. But yes, I love commenting on culture and pop culture. And I've always like, I remember the first time I saw The Real World Miami. I was like, I was like fucking locked in. I was on summer vacation. My family had gone to the beach, and I like through a temper tantrum and was like, I'm not going in today. I'm staying at the house, Like wow, what a delight of a kid. And I watched a like, you know, marathon of the Real World Miami. I wasn't allowed to watch MTV, so that's actually part of why I kicked them out of the house. And I just remember being fascinated by it. So yeah, I've always loved reality TV, and I you know, I think it's changed a lot over the years. I missed the good old days of reality TV, and I felt a little more like real quote unquote, But yeah, I love it and I comment on it on TikTok and I ail into the Void and I have a lot of fun with it. Well.
Speaker 1: One of the things that I've been thinking about lately because I think when you are sober, or maybe even trying to get sober, you might watch it with a different eye. I know that, and it's hard because I don't want to come off as judgmental, even though I feel very judgmental sometimes, like when I watch Housewives, particularly watching The Valley recently. I don't know if you you know have seen do you watch The Valley at all?
Speaker 2: So I watched the first season of the Valley because I was doing some recapping, but I haven't seen it. But all I know is I don't like Jack's right, we don't like Jacks.
Speaker 1: Jax is a you know, he's a pretty serious addict who spends a lot of time telling everybody that he's not actually addicted to alcohol and drugs. He's just addicted to anger. Anger is his problem, not alcohol and drugs.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: But there's a lot of blaming each other, like Jax is blaming Danny for like you're an alcoholic, and everybody calls out each other's problem drinking. Which, sure, yeah, there are a lot of problem drinkers on reality TV. But what I'm kind of interested in is what came first, Like are these people all addicts and alcoholics or does reality TV encourage drinking so much that some people that might be on the brink?
Speaker 2: I want to know what.
Speaker 1: I just want to delve into that because like, and you know what we can start with is Leah.
Speaker 2: I think it's McSweeney, right, sure, yeah, Liam McSweeney. Yeah, from New York Housewives. So she was pretty famously sober when she started the show. She struggles with bipolar and she was sober. Now she lost her Sobriet before the season actually started. I'm pretty sure now she says.
Speaker 1: Now that she felt that she was going to have to drink because that was the whole culture of the show. So now it's on her that she decided to drink. But she's also saying that there was a lot of pressure to like do coke, and I wonder, here's the thing. A lot of these women on these shows are older women. And when I say older, I mean my age. They're my age women whose bodies probably can't be drinking that much, right.
Speaker 2: But sure like how we process alcohol changes as we get older, which is part of what drove me to say, I don't know if I want to keep drinking. You know, it's so interesting that you say that is a chicken or is it chicken her egg? With someone like Leah McSweeney, who knew already that she had an alcohol problem, I have to say that that. I don't want to say that it's her fault, but to me, it feels uniquely her when it's like, I know I already have this problem, and now I'm putting myself in an environment and I'm not staying away from things that might trigger me, and I think it's with her. I have to be honest. I think it's one of those things where like the show didn't really work out for her and now it's a little Monday morning quarterback going on. Okay, and I agree with that, But if I'm to play Devil's advocate to that, although I do agree with that, go right ahead. Why should she have to lose her so? Okay?
Speaker 1: Why are these shows? Why is alcohol such a main focus of the show. So you have these people that are all accusing each other of having drinking problems. One thing that stood out that you didn't see this season on The Valley was that Jasmine and her fiance now Melissa Okay, are very angry at Danny who Danny Zuko, Danny Zuko, No, I'm thinking of Danny from Greece, Danny whatever.
Speaker 2: Danny.
Speaker 1: They're upset with him because he acted inappropriately at a party, right, So now they want they're having a meetup so that Danny can apologize.
Speaker 2: But where do they have the meetup?
Speaker 1: At a brewery and what happens Jasmine orders herself a drink and Melissa orders a drink and then they sit there and accuse him of being an alcoholic. And these are people that also drink. So I'm thinking, why should Leah have to have to not go on a show to not be triggered, Like, why is drinking such a big part of it? Seems really unhealthy.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think one of one of the things that I've always found really fascinating about these shows is the behind the scenes. And one of the things that I've always heard consistently and I've heard this across the board with other reality shows as well. I mean not you know, not to I remember this from Adam talking about being on The Apprentice, is that everything would take longer than you anticipated it to take, Like, hey, guys, we're gonna bring you all here, and then it would take like two and a half hours. You'd be like, we could have gone there in like thirty minutes, right, So I've heard that with other reality shows, and Housewife sounds like it's exactly the same. They will talk about the fact that like if it's a party, they'll say, oh, you know, we're gonna drive you this way, and then they'll drive them the other way and they'll have alcohol in the car, right, Or they'll say, you know, it's gonna start at three pm, and then no one will show up until five pm because that's the time that the ladies all got and that automatically ends up like making people just on edge, making people like pissed off already, right things are running late. So my theory has always been it's like the combination of let's get them kind of in a pissy mood and then we'll just fucking pound them with alcohol and watch what happens. Literally, watch what happens. I think it's both those things. I think they want to get them to the edge and then and it's like you finally get to the place, all right, I'll have a drink, I'll take the edge off, I'll have whatever. And then I think it's also too. I think it's one of those things where they give them probably unlimited alcohol and not unlimited food.
Speaker 1: But is that on them for not eating? You have a lot of these women. Okay, now I'm thinking in my brain, I'm thinking about real housewives. So now I'm going to think about Real Housewives of Orange County where there is a lot of alcoholism and some DUIs among these ladies. But then you have a say, a cast member like a Heather Debro who drinks, always orders a drink along with everybody else. She's miss espresso martinis. But I've never seen her drunk on the show.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, she's never drunk on this show because she is in control enough. You know, she just doesn't She just I don't think she needs to be. I think that's her superpower, is that she's the I actually think that's a very smart tactic, is to be the one that doesn't get drunk, But.
Speaker 1: So how do you how do you manage that? Because here I'm going to read you, I'm going to read you. I made a list of all of the Real Housewives or people on those type of shows who have had DUI's uh, and there are quite a few. Karen Huger Huger from Atlanta had has had four DU's Sonia Morgan d u I at least one, she might have had two. Shannon Badour d u I, Kim Richards d u I, lu Anne Uh. You know some of these people have also been arrested.
Speaker 2: P K.
Speaker 1: Dreed's husband, Gina Kirschenheider famously had a DUI. Now she doesn't drink. Brandy Glanville, Mary's Soul Patten uh. And I believe there's more. Those are the ones that I got to before I before I got on with you. Now, that's a lot of d UIs from just Real Housewives franchise. And then you watch these people like Shannon Badour who got very drunk crashed her car with her dog in it.
Speaker 2: That was the biggest crime to me is that Archie was in the car. I know, I know, But then we.
Speaker 1: Watched for the rest of the season, Shannon continue to drink and make excuses and listen and nobody, I guess, nobody would have a leg to stand on to really be Like I mean, Tamar called her an alcoholic, but like, come on, Tamera, you shouldn't be judging anybody.
Speaker 2: But you know, no, I don't know that this.
Speaker 1: Is taken seriously enough and I feel like people could get hurt. It's also just kind of a bad example because I don't think any normal person can drink as much as they drink and not get drunk and get to uys.
Speaker 2: Well. I think the part of it too is that no one is really ever on house lives because their life is just going so well, you know what I mean, Like I would I would argue one of the rare exceptions where and you know, she's kind of come and go. But I think of like the fact that my nemesis Rachel Zoe will now be going on Housewives. I mean, the Rachel Zoe of two thousand and seven would be horrified to know that she was on Real Housewives. Right, she has taken a tumble and I'm sure we'll see more of it play out, and if any housewives are listening, yes, I have the screenshots, but like, no one's life is going that well. So I think it's like you take these combinations of you know, putting them in situations that are not great to begin with, like wipe alcohol out of it. Then you guzzle they guzzle alcohol and also too, like you know, Shannon is fighting with the ex boyfriend and all the you know, that was like what was going on behind the scenes. And I mean I don't think that David Badore was a prize either, No, but I remember even that first season, just like I remember her. She always had the great I think it was Grey Goose vodka but with the newman's own lemonade, which, by the way, in my drinking days, fucking sign the bitch up because that sounds great, okay that and like a tumbler glass with like a healthy amount of ice. Oh delicious, right, But I remember thinking, like there's a lot of alcohol already flowing in this house, and that didn't come because of Bravo. That was you know what I mean, Like they were both already drinking every night. And so I think that they know that the best way to make the show operate is to create drama, and the best way to do that is to get people drunk. But I will also argue that these like women, they have free will, and you know, if to Liam McSweeney's point, it's like, I mean, yeah, I think you were put in tough situations. But I also have seen people on these shows who don't drink. There are people who now are sober on these shows. Well, this is interesting to me, Like Kyle Uh got sober. She stopped drinking, and I'm not going to say that she's sober, which is another thing I kind of want to bring up with you in a moment, California sober that some people like listen if you want to, Like, I have no problem with people smoking weed. I've smoked weed, I've done edibles, you know, all that good stuff. Yeah, but my thought process on it is like, if you're doing it every day, like and I know a lot of people who are doing it like every day every day, I'm a little concerned. And maybe that's just like that's where I think. I'm like, I am like truly my father's daughter, I'm like, you can't be smoking dope every day, like like I literally sound like like I mean, I just that's where and also too I think there's a lot of people who are sober and then like they're just like fucking high as fuck all the time. And that's yeah, I guess I just get It's like I feel like, oh, I wish I could do that, But listen, the problem is if I did smoke pot, I would smoke it every day. So I guess some people might know each other themselves better. And I mean, I guess it just comes down to like how often are you Also, like I remember reading about how bad it is for your lungs like to smoke it.
Speaker 1: Well, so what if you're just eating a gummy that? I mean, what if we're getting really judgy? Listen, that's too much sugar.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I mean, I just I listen. I guess like life is fucking hard. And if you're if rug of choice is alcohol and then you start smoking weed and you are the relationships in your life are no longer falling apart, and you're able to work and you're able to do all of these things and you have you know. But I think that one of the things that I think, like five or ten years from now we'll be talking about is like just the amount of people that I know who like get really high and then drive, Yes, I am, Oh my god. When I was in high school, I one time had to drive high and I drove. First of all, I drove drunk all the time. Pretty good drunk driver. I don't recommend it.
Speaker 1: One of the reasons I quit drinking so that I would never have to drive drunk again. But I'm just saying I drove drunk a lot of times with nothing happening. The one time that I remember getting high and then I had to drive because something something happened where I knew I shouldn't be driving high, but I was like I had the car, whatever it was, I was stuck having to drive, and I remember being like, oh god, I feel like I'm driving in the air, like I thought I was driving like a spaceship and I was having like a little experience where I'm like I'm kind of floating like above the road. And then I realized I was on a one way street going the wrong way.
Speaker 2: Okay, to be fair, though, that sounds fucking sick. So I really can't blame you, like if that is what you guys are experiencing when you drive high, like I can't like, fine, you know what. No, But I also I don't know how much these women are doing things that are not alcohol too, because I've heard there's a lot of pills going on, and you know, I think pills are very different than like doing an edible. But I guess like my thought process is, like it sounds like being on Housewives is pretty fucking miserable, and it just makes you want to fucking drink, Like it doesn't sound like it's fun. And I'm sure you get to these places. You go to go to this dinner, right and it's like, oh god, everybody's like an hour late and I'm waiting, and so you just start drinking. And I feel like this used to happen to me sometimes. I don't know if this is happening to you. I would like all of a sudden realize that I had drank more than I thought I had, and like, you know, whether I was like at a dinner or I don't know, just you know, I remember when canned wine came out, like I didn't realize that I was consuming like two and a half glasses of wine drinking one can like I was drinking it like it was beers. And I remember being at a party ones and being like, I am fucked up what happened? Like, and that I think probably like not even the awareness of like when you go out to dinner and it's you and your husband and you go I think, I'll have two drinks when you're at one of these things and it lasts for hours and they just keep eating you drinks. I mean, I think that if I was on Real Housewives the way when I was drinking, I mean, I always tended to if there was any situation where there was like free flowing alcohol, I was very excited about it, Like and if I would if I went to sushi with my husband, I was the one going, Okay, let's get a large sake and a large beer. Like even if my husband was like we could just have like a small beer, I'd be like, what why would we do that? They make large ones? Like this is like maybe the appetizers now, I'm like, uh, why wouldn't we get spinach, nardo, totoke tip and fried Ravioli's like, yeah, you stop drinking. That's the other thing that people don't realize is like you do sort of like replace food sometimes with some of these things, right, And yeah, I mean I mean, as somebody who is sober and has been for quite a while, do you feel like, what do you feel like it's been in terms of the timeline, Has it gotten worse, has it gotten better in terms of drinking on things like Housewives? Like do I feel like I think it's gotten worse for people?
Speaker 1: I think it's I think it's way more prevalent. I think it's far too acceptable until it's not, and then I think we turn on people, myself included. I'm calling myself out for being like, oh my gosh, like why is Shannon getting a dui and then continuing to drink in every scene that she's in?
Speaker 2: Like how does she not know? But of course, and that's it's ridiculous for.
Speaker 1: Me to say as somebody who is recovering from alcoholism, I think it's just kind of triggering to watch it and you feel bad, but then you also go But this environment has got to be hard to be in when everybody's drinking and you're the only one. And maybe because I wonder if Kyle Richards is not actually an alcoholic, so it was easier for her, she chose to like not drink. She didn't like the effects of alcohol on her and she didn't like that. She felt like she was dealing with some emotional whatever her thing is.
Speaker 2: She is not.
Speaker 1: Saying that she's an alcoholic, she's just saying that she chooses not to.
Speaker 2: Drink, right. And also too, to me, it's interesting what a big deal that is to everybody, Like, yeah, I mean, I just I have so many friends now who don't drink. And it's not necessarily that they're alcoholics. Some of them, it's that they you know, have you know, they are alcoholics and they've gotten so whatever. But I have so many friends who don't drink anymore. And so to me, the fact that it's like a recurring storyline that a I don't know, fifty five year old woman decided she didn't want to drink alcohol anymore, I'm like, that's fucking news. Like I just disagree. But in the world of housewives, that is. And I think one of the things that bothers me about that is like it kind of reduces women to just like this idea of like, oh, you either drink or you don't drink. It's like such a personality trade of yours.
Speaker 1: Yes, But I feel like that's kind of in the world or do you think it's just in pop culture.
Speaker 2: I think it's odd. I think people feel if they quit drinking. People who are sober curious or whatever. A big recurring theme for people is like what am I going to tell people?
Speaker 1: And why are we living in? Why is society such that it is a big deal to be a person who doesn't drink that people are so curious about it?
Speaker 2: Really, you know you don't drink, an I think you're right. You're right, No, I agree, And I do feel like sometimes I feel like I was at a birthday party the other night and everybody was drinking, and that's totally no one was being everything was fine. But finally, like I think, like a few after like the third time of being offered something, I just was like, oh, I don't drink, And then I feel like I have to do my whole fucking explanation. Then I have to be like, Okay, time out party. So here's the deal. I'm not an alcoholic, even though I'm married to one he's been sober for seventeen years. Also, if you want to drink, that's okay, but I don't really want you to get like absolutely drunk, and like I have to take care of you. But even when I was drinking, I wouldn't want to do that. Like it's just like I have this like fucking speel that I have to do to make and I don't know if it necessarily is this, but like that I feel I have to do to make other people feel comfortable. Right, maybe I do it, but I do think that like when you tell people you don't drink, it does bring up their own relationship with alcohol. Yeah, for sure, and that's not your fault. But I think that's what's happening with Kyle on house That's why like her not drinking is like I mean, they treat that like the biggest fucking deal in the world when.
Speaker 1: Half of them have had a problem with alcohol or seem like drinking is problematic for them, like a Suddon or like I mean, you know, that's kind of a thing on there is, Like especially the ones that are kind of judging her for not drinking are people who maybe shouldn't drink, And the ones that don't care, like a Garcel, are not people that you've ever seen like drunken out of control at an event.
Speaker 2: Who do you think is the most successful housewife of all time? And you can say my enemy. But like, who do you think long term has has had like material success, Like is a successful person in life or is it successful as a housewife? Like what do you mean successful in life? Successful in life?
Speaker 1: I mean I feel like Kyle is pretty successful in life. I mean she was the co owner of a massive real estate business. Mm hmm, I guess also Bethany.
Speaker 2: Bethany, Like I would say Bethany, Heather Dubrow, Kyle, Nini, those to me sort of from each Teresa Giudice to some degree, I would say, even though she's had her issues, I think, you know, has taken a lot of stuff and spun it into success. Those are all people when I think of them on The Housewives, I don't think of them as sloppy, drunk messes.
Speaker 1: Interesting. You're so right, You're so right. Like Bethany, Yeah, never really see her drunker out of control.
Speaker 2: She made the money off of alcohol. But she's interesting. Yeah, not that I don't think she drinks, But I'm just saying it's like she was never like her Heather, Teresa, and it was Nini. They always kept it together because they knew they were playing the long game of this show and if you want to fuck up on these shows, it's like, to me, one of the biggest recks. And I think one of the saddest cases is like a Sonia or a Shannon Badoor and agree always alcohol being the bottom line, And you know, I think like chicken or the egg. I don't know. It's kind of like when you have like a friend who ends up in like a really bad relationship, but you're like, yeah, they were always kind of a fucking pain in the ass themselves. So it's like it's more it's less chicken in the egg and more perfect storm, more like they meet their match. Well, I'm going to read you a couple of some sober celebrities, which I think is really interesting, and you stop me if I get to somebody who's like surprising to you, and I love On these lists sometimes they name people who just don't drink, not who got some. Joe Biden, like he's a tea toddler. Also he's like ninety five. I'm glad he's not drinking. But have you ever seen that man take it to a bowl of ice cream? Okay, so, Elton John, we all know this. Elton John, like sponsors, guys, did you watch the Billy Joel documentary by the way, No should I? It was really good. I really really liked it.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's a thing where Elton John basically got really pissed at Billy Joel. Later in their career they started touring together and Elton John was like, oh, hell no, you're an alcoholic, like you need help, And then Billy Joel got real pissed at Elton John judging him.
Speaker 2: But I'm on Elton John's side. Okay, Rumor Willis, did you know that? No? But that tracks does it? Okay?
Speaker 1: In twenty Monny, she celebrated four years of sobriety.
Speaker 2: Awesome. If your formative years were around Ashton Kutcher, it's gonna fuck you out. You're true true? Okay?
Speaker 1: Oh should I a twain? But she's just a teetotaler, so screw her and Tyler the creator. Okay, zach Efron, did you know this one.
Speaker 2: Went to?
Speaker 1: You have been twenty thirteen? Been sober ever since?
Speaker 2: Mm? Oh, you're not? When I see it. I don't know if I'm sure about that. I don't know how sure I am about that. Okay. Tyra Banks, Oh no, Tyra Banks is just a teetotaler and no scream, right, and you know what, she's a control freak. And I say that with love. She's a control freak. So she doesn't drink. That's smart. That's like Kim Kardashian doesn't doesn't drink a lot, and that's the same thing. It's that locked in control Heather Debro style. Okay, okay. It's just interesting though that Heather debro.
Speaker 1: Is constantly drinking the espresso martinis but not getting drunk.
Speaker 2: She takes I bet she. I bet she nurses that damn thing the whole night. Yep.
Speaker 1: Anne probably does like a bunch of cocaine.
Speaker 2: I hope.
Speaker 1: So, Okay, Kristin Davis, did you know that Sex and the City she's sober like she's aa girl. Yes, many many years.
Speaker 2: That's probably how she kept the peace for so long on Sex and the City with everybody, because you know, like that was some fucking that was you know, her and Cynthia Nixon. We're just like in the trailers being like, can you believe this shit? There must have been so much serenity, prayer happening. God grant me the serenity. Yeah absolutely. Oh by the way, yeah, I think that fucking mel Robbins just ripped off the serenity prayer with the let them theory. Oh my god, they'll let them bugs me so much. I hate it. I just was listening to her on a podcast and I was like, this is this is dangerous. It doesn't mean anything anything. It's just like, I guess if you're a codependent or whatever and you're you know, that would be like a good mantra for if you're codependent and you're like, just let them do what they're gonna do. But even then, like, okay, so what does that mean exactly? Well, I'll tell you this. One of the things I found really interesting. And I know this is not what you invited me on the podcast, but I just this let them thing is driving me insane. So she was saying like a lot of her research that she a lot of the work that she does now because she's by the way, she's not like a Brene Brown, who is a you know, researcher PhD. She went like, she's a law she went to law school, which is great. She's like a former criminal prosecutor. I don't know, okay, yeah, but like still so she's like a lot of my research comes from this like such and such doctor and this guy is a child psychiatrist. So like when she's applying these theories of how to approach these things, a lot of what she says is like, you know, if the kid wants to play video games, let them play video games and whatever. But then she takes the concept and she applies it to adults, and I'm like, yeah, here's the thing. A lot of your stuff is like from a child psychiatrist, so it works on children. And then she's on the podcast with Kara Swisher being like, well, this is how you should approach the was Scott Galloway, and this is how to approach it with your mom using these techniques. I'm like, these are techniques for children, right, And by the way, I don't know that let them play video games is also the best approach even with kids. Well she's like like, these kids know that they're fucking up, and so like basically like just just let them and if you if you Basically her whole thing is like if you push a kid too hard, like they will never change. And I don't like totally disagree with that, but not every kid is like that. Some like there are things that for example, my mom used to threaten to take away my hair dryer, and guess what that worked for me. She'd be like, I'm gonna take away your hair dryer if you don't do your homework, and I'd be like, all right, here we go. Like she hadn't heard of mel Robbins saying let them, let them not do their homework. Oh anyway, I guess okay. Jada Pinkett, did you know that? She's sober? Like sober? Sober? Okay, a little bit of a control freak too, I think, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, she says that her quote in this article is drinking red wine for me was like drinking glasses of water. I think back on my life like I'm a walking miracle, no doubt about that.
Speaker 2: Okay, that sounds like a real that sounds like real sobriety, okay. Christina Ricci, did you know that? Yeah? You quit? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Naomi Campbell sober she and she says there were times I thought I wouldn't survive. I used to have a lot of problems, amongst others, I drank too much. Then she says she's not anonymous. I joined alcoholics anonymous to get sober. Lana del Rey sober. Leona Lewis sober. It's not me if I get to somebody interesting Lucy Hale, do you know that that I.
Speaker 2: Did know because I'm a big for an adult woman, I'm a big pretty little Liars fan, and I fuck with that, you know. And she was one of the people who, like I remember her being like, it's been a year and like, you know, I think what happens to a lot of people is they go into it and they're like, I'm gonna see where this is. In fact, a friend of mine just was saying this yesterday, like you know, he was like, I'm gonna try it out, and then it just kept going and going and going. And I think that's like one of the biggest things is that like once you get past like six or seven months too, there's a shift, even if you're not like somebody who really needs AA, but there's just like a shift after six or seven months without drinking. And I think with you at their comes and it's really good. It feels really good. Yeah. I mean for me, I'm definitely one of those people that even though I was pretty functional from the outside looking in, I didn't feel like I was functional at that point. But I think for me, I really needed you know, I was I hit a bottom. I hit a Oh god, this is horrible. I feel humiliated, like I can't drink again.
Speaker 1: But it was really I felt really sad about it and really like, I don't know how I'm going to do this. I mean, drinking is such a big part of my life, which is indicative of an alcohol problem. But also I think for me, by the time I hit a year, I was like, oh, okay, I get it. I get that, like why people do this? I get that this is achievable if I can be inspirational for anybody. It's not that it became so easy. It's just that new habits take time. So once you really get into the habit of not drinking and going to like an event and not having a drink in your head. But now I think it's even easier because there's so many non alcoholic options right especially.
Speaker 2: In California, I think, And that's I mean, I guess that's part of it. Is like these women when they're drinking like this, it's like, you don't have to do this. Yeah, yeah, Eva Mendez, did you know that I did? Yeah? Calvin Harris, did you know that one. Roba Like, he doesn't feel like a real person to me. He feels like he was like made an AI or something. He's like an AI prototype. Oh what about Daniel Radcliffe? We love him? WHOA. Yeah, they were probably getting bombed on the Harry Potter set. That's probably what it is like. Those kids are probably getting fucked up every day, Like you know what I mean, Like they were like we only go to school for two and a half hours and then like fuck around already our asses off. Yeah, is there anybody you can think of off the top of your head that what was surprising to you? I mean, Blake Lively, did you know that? Oh? She just says that she not only does she not drink alcohol, she's never touched drugs. Yeah, she's off, He's she's a tea toddler or whatever. I don't Yeah, I'm not down with that. I don't. I don't get it. Also, she has a alcoholic beverage line. Yeah, that was a weird thing. Remember when j Low was married to Ben Affleck actually married to him recently, and he's a sober alcoholic. Maybe he was going back and forth, but he was definitely trying to be sober and she started an alcohol line, so that's what you do to be supportive to your husband. But she's a famous non drinker too, I know, so what's the point. Why would you do that? Why would you have to do that? She loves a check Like that's you know, I'm reading Gwyneth Paltrow's autoboy not autobiography, biography, uh, you know, authorized biography, and like one of the biggest, like my biggest takeaway so far is like just that girl loves to see a check hit out, Like and I think, like we underestimate how much people just love money. I love it me too. I don't have enough of it, never have, probably never will. But like so many of these people, when you're like, why would they do that, like Blake Lively with the alcohol line, it's like, because they just really love to see a check cash. Yeah, you know what, you shouldn't say that you're never gonna be rich. You have to manifest that shit, you know what. You're so right. Mel Robbins would say the exact same thing, or she'd be like, no, let them be broke. I won't allow you to be broke, Meredith. Let's promote the shit out of what you're doing. Okay, you got oddly specific. I do, and I have my TikTok and my Instagram and I m lynch that's how that's how you find her on the TikTok. What are we up to, followers wise? It's getting up there. I think I'm like three twenty two on Instagram. No TikTok on TikTok Okay, yeah, and and you know, having funnel all along the way after you after this comes out, it's going to be three twenty three. So oh listen, I can dream now what was I trying to say? It's going to be like three hundred and twenty three? Oh two? Is okay? All right, I'll listen. I'll take what I can get, okay. So what are we doing over on TikTok? You're doing like fun videos where you kind of get into arguments with some celebrities, point out stuff that needs to be pointed out. Yeah, I mean we did a lot around the Bezos wedding. I did get into a fight with Eva Longoria's sister. Oh really, yeah, you just I think he tell us about that real quick. Oh yeah, I think I think the reason that Evil Longoria did not attend the bezos wedding is because I called the shit out of her.
Speaker 1: Really, yes, so why did did our sister have a problem with that?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, they were not happy. I mean, here's the thing. You can't hang out with Jeff Bezos and then get on social media and be like I don't understand why Trump is the or not even Trump, but like why ice raids are happening. I'm like, well, I don't know. You could ask your friend who you were with over the weekend. So anyway, I just I had a few choice words for her, and she, like her sister, did not like that. But Lauren Bezos now Bezos has me blocked on social media.
Speaker 1: That is such a compliment. You must feel very important. I know, I was like, she'd like shut down your Amazon account.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Probably she didn't block me on my burner though, like she so I can still check her out, but she's kind of like there's nothing that interesting about her. But yeah, you know, I do a lot of like celebrity pop culture stuff and a little lifestyle and you know, just kind of across the board. It's been a it's been a quiet summer here at Team Lynch, but we are We're starting to you know, school starts tomorrow for uh at Stephanie's house, and I think also for me too. We're gonna get our asses back in gear.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, well it's been lovely and I just want you to be like a regular on this talking about this honor, just like you are on my other podcast for Crying Out Loud also Rose Prigs, a lot of I have a lot of podcasts. But anyway, thank you so much, Meredith. Go follow her and I will see you guys next week.
Speaker 2: Bye bye. It's going good.