Speaker 1: Most people, if you ask them to confirm, would agree that health is in fact one of the most important things in their lives, perhaps the most important. And by now many of you would already know that maintaining a good lifestyle, eating well and exercising regularly is crucial for being healthy. In fact, preventing yourself from getting health problems, doctors say, is much better than trying to treat them.
Speaker 2: Definitely, prevention is always better than cures, So that has been the suggestion by doctors. And of course all these lifestyle changes that we do talk about is towards preventing any serious ailment.
Speaker 1: That's the Indian expresses Anonadat, who covers health for the paper, and she tells us that besides our lifestyle, another key aspect of what they call preventative health is regularly going to the doctor, which for a lot of people can be a fairly anxious experience.
Speaker 2: Yes, a lot of people might hesitate to go to a doctor. In fact, most people tend to go to a doctor only when they have some health problem or something that's bothering them, So routinely going for a health checkup.
Speaker 3: Is not something that a lot of people do.
Speaker 2: However, what doctors tell me is that there is an increasing trend, especially after the pandemic, people have become more serious about remaining healthy rather than you know, going to the doctor when they have any ailment or any problem. So more and more people are getting preventative health checkups and going to doctors for a visit without any condition.
Speaker 1: And an apart from the fact that you can probably catch something in time, one would imagine that it probably also saves a lot of money, right.
Speaker 2: It does, yes, So I will take the example of say cancer you detected early, treatment would be much easier. You wouldn't need you know, second line therapies and difficult surgeries, so the cost of treatment goes down. I took cancer because that's like quite an extreme example, but that's true of most conditions. Even for say diabetes, you would require lower doors of medicines. You can start your lifestyle intervention quick enough, and in fact, in some people who are early on or people who are pre diabetic, it can actually reverse. So detecting early of course makes you healthy, yes, but also brings down your cost of treatment and cost of disease that you would experience through the life.
Speaker 1: So listeners, in this episode, we are taking a break from our usual programming to bring you a complete guide on what to keep in mind when going for a health checkup based on your age, sex and lifestyle. Hi, I'm Chushang Bargin and you're listening to three Things the Indian Express News show, so Anona. When we talk about regular health checkups, at what age do doctors recommend you start doing them?
Speaker 2: So typically doctors would say that at around the age of thirty years you start getting certain screening done. But more and more over the last decade or so, doctors are now noticing a lot of heart attacks and stuff.
Speaker 3: And young men.
Speaker 2: So even at the age of about twenty five or so, people are experiencing heart attacks, which means they also are likely to have other conditions that lead to heart attacks, like hypertension or diabetes. All these diseases are happening at a younger age now, which is why doctors suggests, at least for men, that you start getting screened at about twenty five, you start doing it.
Speaker 3: Women can relate a little bit.
Speaker 2: More, but at around the age of thirty, I think people should start getting their regular health checkups done.
Speaker 1: And should people have a goal in mind, You know, while getting a health checkup. Is there an end goal so to say?
Speaker 3: So, there is no end goal per se.
Speaker 2: It doesn't have to be that we have to have a certain number on a test.
Speaker 3: That is not the goal.
Speaker 2: The goal is that you keep a record of how your health has been for years together, so in case when you have a condition, your doctor knows exactly what has been going on in your body. And also it's a way to sort of keep yourself in check. You would know that, okay, my sugar is going up, so then you would take steps accordingly and you would intervene early. So it's also like keeping in mind what is going on. But no, there shouldn't be an end goal that, okay, all my numbers have to be perfect.
Speaker 3: This is not a report.
Speaker 1: Card, okay. So if you're a man, you started twenty five. If you're a woman, you started thirty. So what should a typical health check up for these ages look like?
Speaker 2: So there are three key tests that you have to get. One is of course checking your blood pressure. The second is checking your blood glucose levels, and you can do an HbA one C to see how they have been over say a three month period. Then the other thing is checking your cholesterol levels. So these three because these are risk factors for several other diseases. It can lead to a heart attack, it can lead to long term chronic heart diseases, it can lead to a stroke. So it's risk factor for a host of diseases. So these three are the key tests that you should get and that would keep you informed about how your whole system is doing.
Speaker 1: Also, when we talk about these three tests, what kind of importance do they have in the Indian context?
Speaker 2: These tests are extremely important, especially in India, Like I mentioned, we get heart attacks and hypertension as well. We get it a decade younger than our Western counterparts. So you know, we would see people very young at you know, twenty five getting heart attacks. And if you get a heart attack at twenty five, you are much more likely to die than if you get a heart attack at say fifty, And there are signs behind it. That's because by fifty you develop these you know, different blood vessels in your heart that could carry the blood even if there is a lockage in one particular vessel.
Speaker 1: And this is something that seems so counterintuitive because you know, one would imagine that if you're older, you're more at risk and if you're young, you know you should be able to take it.
Speaker 2: Yes, and which is why we need to say that you know, it is essential that you get your checkups done even when you're young, because if you get a heart attack at a young age, you're much more likely to die. So it is counter intuitive, but at a older age you do have these other blood vessels that can save your heart muscles even if one of them gets blocked.
Speaker 3: Which you do not have as a younger person.
Speaker 2: So you know, if one vessel gets blocked, it's blocked and your heart muscle dies, so you're much more likely to die in such a heart attack.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've got a blood glucose levels, we've got a blood pressure, we've got a cholesterol What other things should one be looking at?
Speaker 3: Other than that?
Speaker 2: The doctors recommend that you could get all your the basic blood tests, which if you go to any of the you know, testing centers or hospital, they have a list of tests that you can get in a single.
Speaker 1: That draw and is that CBC. Basically CBC.
Speaker 2: You can also do like KFT LFT to know how your liver is functioning. So all of these tests are not as necessary as I mentioned the three key tests, but these are something that you can do to again keep a track of how your organ systems are behaving and in case you have a problem later on, then these can be referred to.
Speaker 1: And we shouldn't stereotype young people, but a lot of young people do develop certain bad habits. I mean there is eating poorly, but also smoking and drinking can start at an early age. Is there any particular thing that especially those who smoke and drink should keep in mind while getting these tests?
Speaker 2: So the left, for example, would tell you how your liver is doing based on how much you are drinking. And one of the again big problems that we're seeing in India, again a decade earlier than the Western counterparts, is the non alcohol fatty liver disease, which is essentially you getting fat around your liver, but that's not happening because of your drinking habit. And then there is of course alcoholic fatty liver disease, where you get the fat because of drinking. Now people might think, okay, it's just fat, why is it important. It's because that fat actually leads to a lot of inflammation in the liver and so it becomes carred and once it's carred, it doesn't do its function properly, which means you start losing bits of your liver and you would end up in a bad state and could even require a transplant. And also if your liver gets injured, you're much more likely to get than liver cancer.
Speaker 1: And right now we're basically talking about both men and women. But are there any specific things that young women should include as part of their health cut.
Speaker 3: Cups, definitely.
Speaker 2: So now, of course there's a lot of talk about HPV vaccination, but when I was growing up, it wasn't as common.
Speaker 3: I do not have a SVV vaccination done.
Speaker 2: So for women who haven't been vaccinated, it is very important that they get pap smear tests done. This will detect any pre cancerous lesions that they might have and it has been shown to reduce the mortality due to cervical cancer. And cervical cancer is very common, so it's the second most common cancer among women in India.
Speaker 1: And again something related to young people, you know, those who are sexually active, especially those who might have had multiple partners, anything they should look.
Speaker 2: Out for, I mean, getting tested for sexually transmitted diseases is very important and of course being safe while doing any activity, so they have to take protective measures other than that. Of course, there's a panel that you would get at any of the testing centers. They would offer an STD panel. That's good enough if you get it done, I mean, depending on how sexually active you are. But I guess once a year should be good for that too.
Speaker 1: And what about the other checkups we are talking about. Are we basically looking at getting them done annually?
Speaker 2: Yes, So people have different recommendations for different conditions. So let's start again with cancer. If you have a family history of different cancers, then you would require more frequent checkups than somebody who doesn't. So say, if you get mammography. Mammography is usually recommended at the age of forty to about sixty nine, you would do an annual checkup if you are at risk of getting breast cancer.
Speaker 3: But if you don't have family.
Speaker 2: History, et cetera, so you can do that at about say two years or five years gap you can do that. So then there's cervical cancer. So for cervical cancer pap smear tests that is recommended, say about once in three years, and that again you have to keep doing till about the age of fifty or sixty years, which is when you have the highest risk of getting cervical cancer, and the rest of the tests. Of course, that would be good if you do it annually.
Speaker 1: Okay, So right now we are talking about people between the ages of twenty five and thirty thirty five maybe, But when do things change? What is the next age group we should be looking at? When other tests are also required?
Speaker 2: So, like I mentioned three key tests, as soon as you're like, say twenty five to thirty year old, forty five is when you would start being more serious about it. You would start getting the other tests a little bit, you have to add on those tests if you haven't been doing it. And then at about that age you would also start looking for say prostate cancer in men. Fifty is usually when you would say fifty plus you would do prostate cancer tests.
Speaker 1: And this age group forty to fifty, I suppose that's when you're also at the highest risk for kidney diseases, diabetes, heart diseases.
Speaker 2: So this is the age where you would see these diseases the most, but you know, the damage happens much earlier. It is when it you know, this is the age when it manifests, so if you have kept a tab of your health, you would already know how you are doing, so it won't necessarily drastically change during this age group. But yes, we do see a lot of heart attacks, stroke, a lot of cancers as well happening in this age group.
Speaker 1: And what about after fifty when we're talking about say fifty to sixty five for example.
Speaker 2: So like I mentioned, for men, you have to do prostate cancer screening. For women you have to start doing heart checkups because once they hit their menopause, their risk of heart attacks is similar to men because estrogen plays a protective role, and untill they're menstruating, there's a little bit more protection that they have than men. They can still have heart attacks. It's not that they can't have a heart attack. At thirty, it's much less likely than a man. But once they hit menopause, that's when their protective effect of the hormones go away, so you are as likely to get heart attack. So that is something that women have to keep in mind.
Speaker 1: And the screening for breast cancer continue at this age.
Speaker 2: So for breast cancer you would screen it till about sixty nine years of age. Mammography works better when your breast issues become loose, so you would do it at about I mean, of course you should start doing it at forty, especially if you are a high risk patient, but in this age group you would get better results, and you have to again for I think doctors recommend that you do it once in five years if you're not at high risk, and it should continue in this age group as well. Another very important test that you have to look at during this age group is your bone density test, because a lot of people start suffering from osteoporosis, which is thinning of your bone and which makes you prone to breakages. So if you fall, you can snap your bones pretty easily.
Speaker 1: And one thing is that initially it starts out pretty painless, right, so it's tough to even detect.
Speaker 2: Yes it is, I mean, you wouldn't realize that you have a problem till a lot of your bone has already been damaged. And once the bonus damaged, it's not growing back. So if you have osteoarthritis, you might need like knee implants and stuff later on in life. And of course you can't completely prevent that, but you can take steps to reduce bone density loss and that is something that the tests can preempt during this age group.
Speaker 1: And now let's talk about senior citizens, those above the age of sixty five. What are the things that they should keep in mind because this is the age group you know that is vulnerable to a lot of different diseases.
Speaker 2: Yes, so in the elderly, of course, you'll have the risk of all the diseases that we talked about so far.
Speaker 3: You would have heart attack strokes.
Speaker 2: In fact, chronic heart conditions would increase by this age. You would have osteoarthritis that you have to deal with. This is also an age group where you would start seeing a lot of dementia, Alzheimer's. These Again, it's not a very definitive test, right Like, it has to be detected by family members who recognize that you know, there's a problem in your cognition, and then they take you to the doctor. So this is something that you know, geriatric clinics should screen for. And that's why it is important that you're in touch with your doctor through this age group. So you get screened for any cognitive impairment that you have. Again, you get screened for all the bone related issues because the risk of faults go up a lot.
Speaker 3: In the elderly.
Speaker 2: You are faced with muscle loss, so you're losing strength which will keep you stable, so you're much more likely to fall and also break your bones when you fall.
Speaker 3: So there's a lot of hip fractures that you see.
Speaker 2: And you know, the surprising thing is if you have a hip fracture, your risk of mortality goes up, surprisingly.
Speaker 1: Right, because a lot of people after they get a hip fracture, they get bed ridden.
Speaker 2: Yes, so they would remain in bed and then of course that would lead to a lot of conditions. And with elderly people, the problem is they have several conditions together, so managing it becomes difficult. You have to create a perfect balance of the medicines, of the kind of lifestyle that they're following, the kind of food that they are having, and anything changes.
Speaker 3: And it all goes for a toss.
Speaker 2: So it's very essential that the elderly actually go to geriatric clinics and you know, keep screening things, keep check on whether all their conditions are managed, whether you know the blood glucose levels are in control, whether you know cholesterol levels are in control, because it's very easy for everything to go wrong, right and.
Speaker 1: This is also the age when your vision and you're hearing deteriorates, and so a lot of geriatric clinics they also take care of that.
Speaker 3: Yes, so geriatric clinics.
Speaker 2: I will talk about one specifically at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences in Delhi. They have center for Geriatric Care and they do a bunch of tests as soon as anybody comes to them, which would include, you know, looking at whether people are able to balance themselves and if they have, say balance issues, that could be loss of muscles. It could be because of your vision, it could be because of your hearing, because hearing also is your.
Speaker 3: You know, how you walk out, you balance yourself.
Speaker 2: So all of that is screened for as soon as you go into the clinic.
Speaker 1: And the other thing to keep in mind about this age group are the vaccinations that they can benefit from, like the flu shot and the shingles vaccine that you recently wrote about.
Speaker 3: Actually so again in the elderly. Two things.
Speaker 2: One is they are at a higher risk of getting the infection and getting a very severe disease when they get an infection. Two, they are already suffering from, like I mentioned, a lot of comorbidities so again, as we saw with COVID, if you have these comorbidities, you're much more likely to die of an infection. So there is a lot of infections that we see in the elderly and infections that kill them as well. For example, let's take a very simple infection like urinary tract infection. It's a big problem in the elderly. You know, once they get it, it's extremely difficult to treat and in fact, people have to get hospitalized to take care of it.
Speaker 3: So infections are a big challenge.
Speaker 1: But uts, for example, are very common in younger women as well. But why is it harder to treat them in the elderly.
Speaker 2: The antibiotics just don't seem to work as well, and you know, especially if you are in a hospital, then again you have the risk of getting other infections while there, so it just becomes very difficult to treat. And the immune system is not the same as it was when you're thirty. So all of these things come together to make it very difficult to treat infections in the elderly, and that's why it's better to prevent the infection, and there are several vaccines that are recommended for elderly. One is of course the flu shot which comes every year, and that reduces the risk of the seasonal influenza.
Speaker 1: And the risk of hospitalization as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, so this is not about preventing of course, it is about preventing the infection, but it's mainly about stopping them from getting a severe disease, getting hospitalized and dying off the condition. So you get influenza vaccine. There's also neumococcal vaccine that can be given to prevent.
Speaker 3: Pneumonia in the elderly.
Speaker 2: Then there is this shingles vaccine which has I mean it has existed before, but recently there was a new vaccine that has entered the market, so now there is more evidence to show that apart from shingles, which is a recurrence of the infection that causes chicken pox, so the second time around, it's a painful rash over one.
Speaker 3: Side of your body. Of course, this vaccine prevents.
Speaker 2: That, but also there's now some evidence to show that it reduces the risk of dementia. It protects the heart somewhat about so there was a study from South Korea recently which showed that it protects the heart for up to eight years after vaccination. So because you're already suffering from a lot of conditions, these vaccines also help in preventing the infection and keeping you healthy from these other conditions as well.
Speaker 1: And we were talking about vision in relation to the elderly, but how often should younger people go to an eye doctor?
Speaker 2: So that would depend on how good your eye is, do you have power, do you have certain conditions, because some people would have I mean, dry eye is something that's become very common now because of the use of computers and screens.
Speaker 3: Essentially, then once you get.
Speaker 2: Slightly older, you would also have conditions like glaucoma and cataract that would happen. So again these are conditions which you have to keep an eye on. So it suggested about once in two years you should definitely go to an eye doctor to get it checked.
Speaker 1: And the other thing we haven't talked about is our oral health. Now, there is this old adage that you know, you should visit the dentist every six months, and recently that has been questioned. So how often should one go to the dentist.
Speaker 2: Again, that would depend on the condition of your teeth and whether you have certain problems that you're already suffering from. If you have problems, you would have to go more frequently to ensure that there is no deterioration in your condition. But in general, for a healthy individual, you can go like once a year or once in two years, and that should be fine.
Speaker 1: And we are talking about all these health checkups and now a lot of places end up recommending these whole body CT scans and MRIs for screening cancer. Should one get those done?
Speaker 3: No, not at all.
Speaker 2: These are highly specialized tests and you should do it only when your doctor recommends it, and the doctor would wreck commend if they are suspecting something.
Speaker 3: Blindly doing a test does not.
Speaker 2: Help because it's likely to throw up stuff which may not be important at all, which may not be affecting you at all, but now you know that there is something, and you'd be worried about it for no reason. In fact, there has been an ongoing discussion about, you know, whether or not to remove certain tumors or cancers which have been spotted on a pet city. Now the problem is that cancer might not I mean, I don't want to say cancer because people get scared whenever.
Speaker 3: We say cancer.
Speaker 2: But some tumors are actually not growing and it would take years for it to grow and cause you any problem, and you might just be healthy and you might not need any kind of intervention for those tumors. But now that you've seen it, you can't do anything about it. So that's a challenge. So going in blindly does not help. It should be recommended by your doctor. Again, depending on the kind of symptoms you're experiencing and whether that whatever is there in your body is actually causing you any trouble.
Speaker 3: That's when you get those specialized tests.
Speaker 1: But you know, what's the harm if someone does want to get that tumor removed, even if it's not growing, they might not want that thing inside.
Speaker 2: Them because any kind of surgery that you do, you're undergoing, you're under anesthesia, you would have a cut, you would have to suture that. So that's a trauma for the body. And why do it when you don't need it and it comes with a lot of risks. No surgery is without its risks, So you know, you can be that one in like a million complication and that can happen, So why do it unless it's absolutely necessary?
Speaker 1: And and a lot of people get these home tests done right, especially when it comes to blood work. Now you can receive the reports and usually they provide a healthy range. Right now, Obviously, if something is off, you would go to the doctor. But what if everything is right, should you still go to the doctor.
Speaker 3: Yes, you should definitely go to a doctor.
Speaker 2: So when I say that you should have preventative health screening, I mean it's tests plus going to a doctor who would actually look at those tests, who would look at how you're living your life, what all is going on in your life, and make a diagnosis based on that. Yes, you can check your numbers against the parameters given, but they might see something that you cannot, because you know, years of training, they've seen so many cases. So here I would cite an example of this. One doctor told me about a case where a man in his say forties. The only problem in his test parameters was a slightly lower hemoglobin count, and it wasn't too low. It was like nine or ten, which is within the normal range. But usually men do not have a very low hemoglobin count. And combined with weight loss and other lifestyle changes that he'd seen in that patient, he just asked that patient to get a colonoscopy and turned out he didn't have colon cancer, so.
Speaker 3: You will miss that. That's why there's an expert there.
Speaker 1: And you know, a couple of tests that we didn't talk about. One is your serum calcium and victimin D test, iron test, and your thyroid profile. How important are these ones?
Speaker 2: So these are some things that you would see in the normal blood panel that you get done. Thyroid test is important again because we have a lot of people who live with hypothyroidism and that's a problem.
Speaker 3: You would need medication for that.
Speaker 2: But usually in that case, you start feeling certain, you know, like you will feel lethargic, you'll start putting on weight, so you do have a trigger to you know, get tested. Then we talk about serum calcium. That's again something that has to do with your bone health. It would tell you how you're doing there. But one test that you raise which is very important is the vitamin D levels, which is low for I think everybody who gets the test done, I mean everybody gets a result of flow vitamin and you would be recommended vita mean you get those shots or you even get tablets, et cetera.
Speaker 3: But there is an ongoing.
Speaker 2: You know, debate in there because some people say that these levels were decided based on a not very good data at that point, and B also most of it was based on you know, Western populations, not Indian population. We do not know what a good vitamin D level is for Indian population. So there are doctors who would say that there is an impact on say your blood glucose levels, there's an impact on your bone health. You know, vitamin D does a lot of these processes in the body, but there is no consensus on how much is the good amount that you need to keep you know, these other conditions at bay.
Speaker 3: So there's that ongoing debate about it.
Speaker 2: But for now, if it's not harming, I would say it's okay, you can take the vitamin D supplements.
Speaker 1: And no, no, no. We've been talking about the benefits of getting a health checkup done, but what are its limitations? What are the things that a health checkup can't do for you?
Speaker 2: So one of the big questions is that, okay, now you know the numbers, then what and then what is the same In any case, you have to manage your life cell that's the recommendation after most of these numbers. So your cholesterol level is high, you have to exercise, you have to eat right your BP is high, same, you have to reduce your salt intake perhaps if your sugar is high. Yes, you have to avoid you know, the sweet foods, certain other fruits, et cetera. And exercise and you know, make these lifestyle changes. So yes, most of the time the intervention remains the same, but it is just a way to keep a check on what is going on in your body, which is why you do these preventive checkups. And of course you know, to pick up certain things that might be going wrong. But well, in most cases it's all right, and that's the limitation. People do not want to get tested because yes, everything is fine, but it's a record of your health and it is important to keep checking it for that once that it would not be normal.
Speaker 1: You were listening to Three Things by the Indian Express. Today's show was written and produced by me Shashang Bargov and was edited and mixed by Srieshbawar. If you like the show, then do subscribe to us wherever you get your podcasts. You can also recommend the show to someone you think we'll like it, share it with a friend or someone in your family. It's the best way for people to get to know about us, You can tweet us at Express Podcasts and write to us at Podcasts at Indian express dot com