Speaker 1: One on one point three Katie w B where Fallon and Colt. You know, our show is going to be a little bit different today, but I think it's really really great. Colt and I are very open about mental health. And you may not be aware of this, but May kicks off mental health Awareness Month.
Speaker 2: Yes it does. So we're here to uh to learn, to share for sure.
Speaker 1: And we're if you're like, where are you? We're broadcasting live from Children's Minnesota. We're at their Saint Paul location, and this is this is new to me. I think you know, we've done morning show live broadcasts for Children's. We've talked about the amazing work they do with families and with children with cancer, but I was unaware of the mental health program they offer children's and so this has been educational for me and I'm sure I'm gonna learn even more throughout the days. We have experts, doctors and various people join us on the show.
Speaker 2: And I have two little kiddo's and it's it's going to know that there is there's resources out there in case you know something's happening like anxiety, depression, you know, different conditions, there is a place to go and.
Speaker 1: That is here, yeah, and we it is also give to Kids Day, so we are hoping you will make a donation as we hang out here. We're gonna do, like you know, some normal show things in the mix obviously, but the website you'll go to is Children's mn dot org slash gift. I'm gonna kick it off myself here in a minute by making a donation.
Speaker 2: Huge one too. You were telling me, I was you show many amount? I was like, dude, really, how do you have three million?
Speaker 1: Huge is subjective huges to everyone is a little bit different, but the mental health care provided here is tailored to each child's unique needs and concerns. So they just really do have the full range of mental health care for kids and teens, which we'll be diving into more throughout the show. But like I said, we also will be mixing in some of the unhinged things that we do, and so that's gonna happen when we come back. I have an unbelievable story of the day that the headline alone. I was like, well, I don't even know if I can read this, but we're gonna.
Speaker 2: We're gonna do it. Okay, if you're in the middle of a road range incident. This might you might this thing might be far.
Speaker 3: It's too far.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say it go to no. If you're doing this, don't recommend. Okay, So we have that and a thousand dollars in less than ten minutes. Own if you win, you could donate a little bit.
Speaker 3: Awesome, thank you. It's the unbelievable story of the day. On one oh one.
Speaker 1: Point three kd w ME we're broadcasting live from Children's We're at the same publication actually today and we are raising money for Give to Kids Day. We're supporting the mental health program they offer here at Children's Minnesota. We got a little update where it's sixty seven hundred dollars, so we definitely need your help. That's a great start. I mean we we really want to raise a ton of money. So if you get a chance, maybe you're on your phone right now, you're on a work computer, you can go to Children's MN dot org slash give now. Transitioning from that into this, I literally send the gold. I go maybe should we even do this story?
Speaker 3: I don't know what it is.
Speaker 2: I think it's too good to pass up.
Speaker 1: Really an unbelievable story of the day. And I was hot in my tracks when I read the headline of this one. So we've all been a part of like a road rage situation, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, put you more than others. We know that.
Speaker 4: I mean, you're gonna come for me on that.
Speaker 3: I just I would say I'm an aggressive driver, and that's fine. That's fine.
Speaker 1: So I don't even know exactly what happened in this situation, just the fact that there was road rage happening and a woman. There's a clip of this on TMC if you like really need to see it, let me tell you what I did not. I did not watch the video. I'm sure Colts is quickly fizzling right now.
Speaker 5: Though.
Speaker 3: It was like she she gets out of her car, she runs around with the other car.
Speaker 1: She gets, she gets by the hood, she drives her pants, and she goes to the bathroom the car.
Speaker 3: Like that's not it. That's not a quick process.
Speaker 1: That's usually I mean, is the person just sitting there and watching this whole like they're probably in disputs, like I can't believe this is happening in my car right now?
Speaker 2: You can make it happen in a pinch, like if you had to, if you ran out the word usage. Okay, now here's the thing. What was it like?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 2: So she runs out, she gets on and then like a right, yeah, that's solid. She had a locked and load.
Speaker 1: That's oh they're now they've dubbed this woman. I guess this must be the location Delco. They've dubbed her on social media the Delco pooper.
Speaker 2: She should have went with Delco downpur But it's good, it's all right.
Speaker 3: You really should be hired.
Speaker 2: Did she's just running around? Do you get arrested for that? Or do you get you get a pass because it's awesome, or like, well.
Speaker 3: I can tell you this.
Speaker 1: She seemed giddy as she walked away, and the victim just like honks at her while she's doing it. She's like, oh my god, what's happening. Oh my gosh, she's really happening. So she starts honking like to try to make her stop, and she.
Speaker 3: Doesn't at all.
Speaker 2: So now you're in the other car, right, yeah, wild if you have a dash can that's.
Speaker 3: Crazy, that is I don't want Do you.
Speaker 2: Go right to the car wash or do you just go home?
Speaker 1: No, you call the police, you take photos, you sit in disbelief, you call friends you FaceTime and you're like, well, I don't is this really what happens?
Speaker 2: I'm going to a car wash. If I can't find one, I'm driving to the nearest rain storm. I don't even care.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're driving there immediately.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's what we call the Unbelievable Story of the day.
Speaker 1: Cult and why I also questioned, is this the day to do this story? Well?
Speaker 2: Why would we not do this story? Can you fill me in again? What'll we what's that? What's going on? We're we're doing it live from Children's Minnesota.
Speaker 1: Okay, we are, and we are raising money. We're going to talk about that a little bit more. We're actually gonna have one of the doctors join us to talk about the mental health program here at Children's or Give to Kids Day. We're going to come back, though, we have the pop Culture Minute coming up. So much is going around with this Bill bel Check interview that it's the pop.
Speaker 7: Culture Minute with Fellon and Cult on one on one point three.
Speaker 1: K d w B, brought to you by Ova, Lacy and Lenz. Today we're doing the pop Culture Minute. We're live from Children's Minnesota and Saint Paul and it's because May kicks off Mental Health Awareness Month, and uh, you know they were like, hey, you know, we have this amazing mental health program here. We love support and it is Give to Kids Day, so we're raising money to help them. So if you are thinking about kind of the things that I think we think about daily, Colt I both have kids. This program starts for children age of six. My daughter is going to be six in September. And you know that's wild to me.
Speaker 2: When I was growing up, like I don't you don't really talk about emotions too much. So now it is crazy, like she's starting school and there's even like little things where the other day she ran up so many of the parts. She's like, Hi, I'm Rammy, and the kid was like, good for you, and then ran away. I'm like, ah, dude, that cuts. And then she's like, why doesn't he like me? So there's like these little things you're trying to figure out and you're.
Speaker 1: In and you maybe you look, we're only equipped so much as parents, right, and that's our professionals come in to help out.
Speaker 3: We're actually going to talk to a doctor.
Speaker 1: She's the doctor of Believe of the outpatient program.
Speaker 3: You're at Children's Minnesota.
Speaker 1: So I'm looking forward to talking to her and just I'm honestly asking me a ton of questions and maybe don't even feel personal, like I'm asking to prepare for my life. But I think that hopefully it'll be something that helps you. And when you're thinking about donating today, because this is such a great cause, just know that when you do, you're providing a full range of mental health services to children and to teens.
Speaker 3: And we have links up.
Speaker 1: You can go to our Instagram pages Ballin and cult if that makes it easier, but it is Children's mn dot org slash and give to make things a little easier for you to help out today. Everyone's been talking about this interview. Did you see the interview with Bill Belcheck and his girlfriend.
Speaker 2: I've seen a little bit about it, but now.
Speaker 1: Okay, So he's basically in his seventies, she's like twenty four. So that's the biggest issue. People think the age gap is insane. So he's doing an interview and one thing they will never talk about is how they met. So people, of course assume they met while he was married. So the interviewer asks, how did you guys meet? And she pops up from behind a table and she's like, we're not talking about that, and so everyone's like going in, what is she doing?
Speaker 3: Why she had Bill? Are you okay? Blake?
Speaker 8: Twice?
Speaker 1: They're doing that situation well his former players.
Speaker 3: I guess they have a podcast. Fun fact, don't listen.
Speaker 2: I've seen this before, Edelman, what did you say?
Speaker 3: They said?
Speaker 8: This?
Speaker 3: Isn't that weird?
Speaker 1: It's being blown out of her poor Usually she's kind of acting as the PR person. The PR person is typically like a publicist is going to be there and they will interfere with a line of questions.
Speaker 2: Shouldn't it be like it is weird that you can't even say where you met though? Right right?
Speaker 1: But Nicki Glazer comments on that post and she goes one hundred percent this she's acting as this publicist. Publicists do this during interviews. People are out for blood. But Bill's daughter in law respond to Nicky and says, publicists act in a professional manner and don't quote unquote storm Offset delaying an interview.
Speaker 3: Seems like the family not a big fan of hers either.
Speaker 2: I mean, how could you? But you know clearly what her prerogative is. I mean, it's like.
Speaker 3: It's a pretty obvious.
Speaker 1: One of those things that I used to like care about a little bit was the met Gala, And isn't it interesting? I feel like in the world today, I do not care about what celebrities that are rich are wearing to an event that I don't really completely understand what the event is, to be fair, And they're saying Rihanna, you know, she's always one of the queens of the Red carpet. They're saying she's going to premiere a baby bump for a third baby, which is a wild name to just say about a woman this day and age, Like, why are we still doing that?
Speaker 2: But maybe she did that the halftime show too, remember that, that's why she displayed it.
Speaker 3: She did, she did. I saw this yesterday.
Speaker 1: I followed him Kardashian on Instagram and I saw it was just a post her son of his.
Speaker 3: It was up his YouTube channel and.
Speaker 1: It had just his name and and everyone. It was so funny because you could tell it was something she would never post. It would not fit. Like he got a hold of her phone and people were in the comments going, hey, Saint honey, can you grab mommy's credit card? And posted next and stuff. So it was confirmed that he posted this. He's nine years old. He hijacked her Instagram to promote his new YouTube channel to three hundred and fifty seven million followers.
Speaker 2: Do the Kardashian kids are always doing that stuff? Who's the one that always goes on Instagram live and outs all their information?
Speaker 3: Used to be Courtney's son? Oh yeah, yeah, maybe he took a step.
Speaker 8: Back from social media.
Speaker 1: I didn't like it anymore, but yeah, pretty funny this one. I'm looking forward to the four season feel good, be good there. Yeah, the four seasons is now streaming on Netflix. Tina fey Rotten stars and this says Steve Grell, Will Fortake, and you might be thinking, oh, the looks. She said, it's not going to be like their normal wacky, funny kind of comedy.
Speaker 2: No, but it looks awesome.
Speaker 3: But there will be funny moments and it looks good. And it's based on an older movie.
Speaker 1: It's like this friend group gets together once every season for a vacation.
Speaker 2: And now the premise and now they're like in their forties and fifties, right, and it's like they're like, are we even friends anymore? We don't even do anything.
Speaker 1: We hang out, which is truly the question you have because they're I mean, people do coming in out of your life, but having you, like you graduated high school after a few years, you're like, am I still friends on my high school?
Speaker 3: I don't know? Do you have anything in common anymore?
Speaker 1: That is your pop culture minute on Katie.
Speaker 3: It's one on one point three katiewb. We are Fallent and Cult.
Speaker 1: We're broadcasting live today from Children's Minnesota and a lot going on here, but the main thing is we are trying to do a few things. We're trying to build awareness about the mental health program they offer here. We're trying to raise money for that, and I think there isn't a single person who doesn't. Isn't surrounded by people who I feel like are becoming more and more comfortable talking about their mental health, acknowledging they may need to find resources for their own mental health. I mean, cult, my both we have gone to therapy over this, and the program here benefits children. I mean, I was so surprised when I found out this program can start at six years old. As a mom who has a daughter who's about to turn six in September, and we have doctor Striker joining us today. She is the medical director of inpatient Psychiatry.
Speaker 3: Welcome to our show. Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 9: I have to say this is a highlight I've listened to Katie's my whole life.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm really excited to be here.
Speaker 1: Okay, perfect, Well, we're excited to have you and hear about all the amazing things that you guys offer here. So first of all, I mean, can you tell us a little bit about yourself and about the impatient mental health program here, because I think you know, when we think of Children's, we all know of the amazing work that they do for children and their families and when it comes to cancer, but I was unaware even myself of the mental health program that they offer.
Speaker 9: Absolutely, I'm a Minnesotan. I trained in other places, but was so excited to come back. And when Children's decided they were going to open an inpatient mental health unit, I was the first one in line to be here. I'm really proud of this unit and just to kind of give people a taste of what inpatient mental health is. People are staying here, so people go to programming during the day, they sleep in the beds overnight. Most kids are here about three to seven days. And really our goal is to get people better enough that they can go back to regular life and with all the supports around them.
Speaker 1: We were talking about this earlier and this is and this is the you allow six year olds and which is the youngest anywhere, so parents don't have to travel to other states or far away cities. They can be right here in the Twin Cities, close to home. But that really struck a chord that you have patients in here as young as six years old.
Speaker 9: It's not very frequent, but yes, every once in a while we do get a six, seven, eight year old. And one of the really great things about our program is that all patients have a private room and there's another bed in there for parents to.
Speaker 4: Fuel to spend the night.
Speaker 9: Okay, so given that we are pediatric hospital, it's kids and families first, and that's like from the minute they step in the door.
Speaker 4: We love having parents stay over.
Speaker 9: We get to interact with them more, We get to really get a sense of how things are going between the parent and child and do coaching and just help everybody kind of manage everything better.
Speaker 2: And if you do go to Children's mn dot org slash gift today and you do donate, How are the funds Race today helping Children's Minnesota.
Speaker 4: Well, I have to say we love our donors.
Speaker 9: We really try to think about you know, insurance and reimbursement rates just are going down and down, and that pays for the basics, right, It pays for the hospital, stay in the hospital room, the food, seeing the doctor. But so much of our program is not about that. It's about how do we help kids become resilient and functional and so things that donor money has gone to is an outdoor space for kids to get fresh air and plan outside. It's gone to yoga and move mindfully programs. It goes to things like you know, therapy pets and plant therapy and all of those extras that kids can take outside of here as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you're just turning on your radio, we're talking talking to doctor Striker. She is the medical director of in patient psychiatry here at Children's Minnesota. And we're gonna take a little quick quick break and we're gonna come back and talk more to her and learn a little bit more about the inpatient the services they offer here at Children's and also hopefully inspire you to donate some of your money to help out this amazing one. On one point three, Katie W b with Fallon and Cult. We're live from Children's Minnesota today. We're in Saint Paul and we're lucky enough to doctor Striker joining us. She's the medical director of impatient Psychiatry. So we were just talking about some of the services you offer and what some of the funds we're raising.
Speaker 3: Today will go help.
Speaker 1: Just at a deeper level as a parent, maybe someone's listening right now, or maybe a grandma as they want to pass us along, or however that may be.
Speaker 3: How can kids and families take care of their mental health?
Speaker 1: I feel like we a lot of us, we look at the different things in life, right, I think the top thing we look at we look at social media and how that is affecting our lives.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I look at that.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I'm addicted to my phone, and my husband and I go back and forth like we're not letting our daughter get a phone until she's fifteen or sixteen, and I really hope we stick to that, right, But there's some direct correlation there. So what can kids and families do to take care of their mental health? I love that question.
Speaker 9: We talk so much about medication and therapy are a very small part of taking care of your mental health. The number one thing I believe in a structure and routine. We've all been on those beach vacations where after four days you start getting antsy. Yes, and it's because we haven't like set a routine for ourselves. So like kind of a standard wake up time, a standard bedtime, getting out and doing something, getting fresh air, vitamin D, all of those good things for my own kids. I also have a six year old, and I have some step kids that are older. Their phones are out of their room at nine point thirty. I really believe in limited screen time and sleep is the most important thing. So we do not have phones, tablets, computers, any TVs in kids rooms because they have to sleep at night.
Speaker 1: My step son, he's seventeen, he just got I can't remember what it's called, but it's he ordered the mail for himself where it limits how long you can be on your phone.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: And because he even acknowledged, he's like, he'll come upstairs. He's like, I just scrolled on TikTok for ninety straight minutes. I don't know where the time, Like Dylan, I've done that too, but he was like, you know, he was able to look at that and say this is I'm not being productive, this isn't good for me, absolutely, and put a.
Speaker 4: Block on that.
Speaker 3: But not everyone has that.
Speaker 1: So that's where I love that role of Like phones are out of the room in the evening.
Speaker 9: And there's so many parents on the unit where it's like when we say that, it's such a surprise, like it's never occurred to them that they have the ability as the parent to say that to their child.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, I do this with my kids.
Speaker 9: I highly encourage people to take charge like they are the adult and they need to make sure their kids' mental health is good.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: You know, we're talking about the impatient program here at Children's. What do you think it is that really differentiates you from others your program here?
Speaker 9: So we are the only in patient mental health unit here that is within a pediatric hospital and that doesn't have adult services, and that really allows us to focus on kids and kids first and families first. So that's where we have those private rooms and parents can stay over. I don't really know if any other places in the Minnesota for sure. There's very few in the country that allow parents to spend the night, and I think it's really important kids don't feel abandoned by their parents.
Speaker 4: Parents are part of the treatment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it can be scary and it's like going through that step in that process and you're like I don't want to do it alone, or like, oh, you know, so it's great that you have that option.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, and as a parent too, I'm like, I would be stressed out the whole time. I want to be with my daughter and see what's going on and be there for her to support.
Speaker 9: And parents can see our faces, right, they can meet us and then feel more trusting about what's.
Speaker 4: Happening on the unit.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, well, this this program is so important and obviously we are here talking about it because we also want to raise a little bit of money. It is Kid's Day where we're broadcasting live from Children's Minnesota, and your donations make a huge difference. We talked about that a little while ago, but you can donate right now. We have links posted on our socials Balon and cult or KATIEWB, but also it is Children's m n dot org slash give today. Thank you so much, Thank you so much forcing me for all. One oh one point three KATIEWB with Fallon and Cold. We're broadcasting live from Children's Minnesota. It's Give to Kids Day. We're supporting the mental health program here and just a heads up, all donations made today, they're gonna be matched, so you know you're doubling the impact when you support. I just dropped on. I made my donation at Children's m n dot org. We're gonna come back. Cold, of course, has chaos going on in his neighborhood. Ten out of ten assume that he is the root cause of that.
Speaker 2: I don't know. This is like on the news. This is like I saw it on TikTok. This is all over the place. Dude, something is going down.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, if it's an Land on an e bike, it's you.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's a little dramatic. Okay, it's a homeowner, you think, Okay.
Speaker 1: One oh one point three KATIEWB with Fallon and Cold, broadcasting live from Children's of Minnesota.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we're really hoping you can raise money.
Speaker 1: We're gonna get an update here soon and uh hopefully we raised a little money. They are matching donations today, So when you make a donation, even if it's like five dollars.
Speaker 3: Boom, already ten dollars.
Speaker 1: So we would really really love if you go to Children's mn dot org slash GiB. We're gonna be talking to professionals and doctors all throughout the show this afternoon. It's a little bit different of a show to just get you some information because that is so important when we're.
Speaker 3: Dealing with mental health.
Speaker 1: But a totally different topic right now, Cold is claiming his neighborhood's being dramatic.
Speaker 2: Okay, I saw a TikTok video come up and I was like, wait a minute, that looks like my alleyway.
Speaker 3: What's happening tiktoko and viral from your alleyway?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was like, wait a minute, hold on, so that I look, here's the situation. And as as a homeowner, I'm a renter, so I'm not trapped in with my neighbors. Like there's a way out, right, there's.
Speaker 3: A way out if you own a home. By the way, you can sell your house and move.
Speaker 2: But yes, go on a little easier though. Okay, here's a situation. There's a neighbor and their kids played basketball. This basketball who they playing the driveway. I saw it, saw their direct neighbor is like, hey, I don't want to look out my window and see your kids playing basketball. She tried to get a restraining order on the kids and the family to keep them away from her window. But you gotta remember, in Saint Louis Park, you're basically you reach your hand out, you're touching a house.
Speaker 1: Neighbor for sure. Jenny from The Morning Show also lives in Saint Louis Park. When she jumps ropes her neighbors, it sounds like she's jumping rope in a living room, but there's no there's no.
Speaker 3: Insulation in these houses in Saint Louis Park.
Speaker 2: Forgot about that. My neighbor crazy. My neighbor one time I was working out on the treadmill in the basement and he was like, dude, you gotta stop like a hammer and are doing construction. And I was like, you mean my feet, my footsteps on a treadmill. Is that what we're talking about?
Speaker 1: I know, of course, not a way to work, and that he works out, Please move on.
Speaker 3: So what's the deal? So free to thet kids hoop it.
Speaker 2: So they took it to the judge and the judge is like, yeah, I'm not gonna give it a restraining order. Children playing basketball in their driveway. So now she's trying to sue the family for like this distress or like, I don't know, I don't think it's gonna go anywhere.
Speaker 3: Basketball like one am if so I actually know there is.
Speaker 2: It's just like an eight year old and the ten year old brothers and they're just like standing there chilling.
Speaker 4: She doesn't like these kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kid person, And I get it, Like if you listen, if you're not a kid person, it could be really annoyed. But at the same time, you can't.
Speaker 3: You got to you gotta go move somewhere with a little bit more land.
Speaker 2: I guess why everybody's like, why aren't kids outside anymore?
Speaker 1: I don't know, because they're getting be straining or a place against someone who do go to play basketball.
Speaker 3: That's Saint Louis Park is so dramatic right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I don't know, we'll see what plays out.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't really want this woman on my bad side, so I'm a little a little nervous reporting on this.
Speaker 3: She sounds like a woman who can make things happen.
Speaker 2: It is Saint Louis Park's fault though, because my kids when they try to talk to my neighbor, they'll be like, hey, he's not talking to me. I'm like, she's just trying to talk to him for twenty minutes. You got so he just wants to be in his backyard leave me alone.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, thank you cult for that.
Speaker 1: I thought it was going to be some weird story about a guy on an e bike and it was going to be about you.
Speaker 2: Let's be honest.
Speaker 1: So all right, we're going to come back. We have more guests joining us. We are broadcasting live from Children's Minnesota today.
Speaker 3: It is a big day. It's Give to Kids Day.
Speaker 1: So if you are unlike this one woman we referenced in Saint Louis Park, you do care about kids, you'd like to help them out and the mental health program they have here at Children's, you can go to children'smen dot org, slash give and donations are being matched today. But we're gonna get you more information about their mental health program when we come back on kd WB. Today's trending with Fellan and Cold on one on one point three kd WB. Okay, we are broadcasting live from Children's Minnesota, and we're gonna get an update here in a little bit for how much we've raised. They are matching donations stays. You can go to Children's MN dot org slash give and it is Give to Kids Day and we are trying to help out. We're raising awareness about their mental health program, raising funds for that.
Speaker 3: So we'll be diving more.
Speaker 1: Into that throughout the show. All Right, a little bit of trending for you.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: They say, if you want to know if someone is lying, there is one word that immediately is a dead giveaway someone isn't telling the truth. This is on a recent diary of a CEO podcast. They said, when someone says never, it's a sign their line never is an extreme. Extremes are a dead giveaway all the time. I know you say to me, you're like, I would never leave you at.
Speaker 2: Days ago.
Speaker 1: I would never like take my family and move to a different state and abandon you.
Speaker 2: I would never say you're crazy behind your back. That's not a thing I.
Speaker 1: Deserve that one. I can give you a pass on. Let's see, it's May. Obviously, Mental Health Awareness Month kicks off today. That's why we're here at Children's but other things going on in May.
Speaker 3: No mo may.
Speaker 1: So it's a movement that's supposed to help your yard and the bees. So you're not supposed to know your month for the entire or the line for the entire month.
Speaker 2: Yes, I tried this last year and then my neighbor was like, you know, one of the reasons why I moved into this neighborhood is because everybody just takes care of their yard and it's just nice. And I was like, dude, and I will in jum. I was like, I'm doing it for the bees.
Speaker 3: Dude, Yeah, mind your business. You don't have an hoa. You're fine. That can't get on you. I do.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you my ajoy will probably have a ruler in my yard measuring murmur. Also, no meat may. That's another thing. I don't know that I'm going to make it on that one. No meat may dot organ or on that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no.
Speaker 1: Guess what I've eaten today. All I've had today so far is an almond croissant. So I'm sticking to it. I'm doing well with no meat may.
Speaker 2: It's kind of a flex.
Speaker 7: You're fasting fasting by eating like an eight hundred calorie to.
Speaker 3: Start my day.
Speaker 2: That was like the only thing you had. So I don't know, I is this So.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, when you've told me the past you were fasting, is this how you.
Speaker 3: Are doing fast? I mean technically a thousand calories.
Speaker 2: Any amount of time after you eat is technically fasting. So I mean you're sitting a non NonStop cycle of fasting if you think about it that way.
Speaker 3: So you do have an angle on everything. Yeah, would you say you never not fast?
Speaker 2: I mean I could probably gaslate you into thinking that.
Speaker 1: Okay while I was using the never situation. Okay, well that is your trending. We are going to come back. We're going to talk to hot Let me pull this up because I want to make sure I get the information right. We're going to talk to Sarah Jerstad when we come back.
Speaker 8: She is the.
Speaker 1: PhD LP child psychologist here at Children's Minnesota, and we're going to learn a lot from her. We're going to talk about the different topics and aspects of different things that children are facing.
Speaker 3: Here at Children's.
Speaker 1: Also ways that we as parents can identify it and.
Speaker 3: Help out with that one.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm super interested in that.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: I'm two younger kids, so.
Speaker 1: I'm still raising funds at Children's MNT dot org slash give one on one point three, KATIEWB. We're fallin and cult. We're broadcasting live from Children's Minnesota today. We're out in Saint Paul and we are just surrounded by such impressive people. And you've actually worked here for almost I was looking at this almost twenty years, which is crazy.
Speaker 3: I we want to welcome to the show, Sarah.
Speaker 1: Jerstad So PhD LP Child Psychologists. You have an amazing and I'm sure very difficult job.
Speaker 10: I love my job and the challenges are something that I relish. So I've worked here for as you said, almost twenty years. I've worked with kids and families and I still do every day, basically helping with all kinds of mental health problems, everything from.
Speaker 4: Depression and anxiety to just.
Speaker 10: Dealing and coping with chronic illness, to any kinds of adjustments that happen in life. And you guys know there can be tons of adjustments when you're a kid and a teenager.
Speaker 2: Have you seen throughout the years parents being more open to like, Okay, maybe we do need some resources and there are people who can help us. Have you seen an uptake within your past like five years out of those twenty.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, what you're referring to is stigma. When I first started this career, and even when I think about when I was a teenager, there was so much stigma with mental illness, and a lot of times as a young person, you know, I think adults would just say, just just handle it, you know, you can just deal with it. And now there is such a recognition that mental health is real and that these concerns are something that need to be dealt with and addressed.
Speaker 1: So a lot of the time you hear, Okay, well, is it that more people are experiencing it or is it that we're acknowledging it more?
Speaker 3: Now, what do you think it is. I think it's a combination.
Speaker 10: So to the point of acknowledging it, we have become more open and aware of these mental health concerns and we're accepting that this is something many people go through and need treatment for. But in the past fifteen years, if you look at the data, mental health concerns with kids and teenagers has steadily increased. So since about twenty ten twenty eleven, we've seen those numbers go up, and there was a specific uptick then during COVID and just after COVID, which you guys can imagine was a stressful time.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, your eyes lighted at your home, you're not interacting with people, You're spending a lot more time on your devices, which we know there are correlations there.
Speaker 3: Of course.
Speaker 1: Can you tell us about the mental health crisis that is happening both nationwide and here in Minnesota.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so the numbers look similar in Minnesota and nationwide, and some of the things that we've seen, we've seen increase in depression and anxiety and in suicidal ideation.
Speaker 3: We've seen it across.
Speaker 10: The board, but that uptick is higher in girls, particularly in the areas of depression.
Speaker 2: So that's a.
Speaker 10: Concern that we have noted and that we pay attention to.
Speaker 1: If you're turning on your radio and you're one who we're talking to, we're talking to Sarah Juristaid. She's a child psychologist here at Children's Minnesota, and we're really here to mostly raise awareness about their mental health program they have here, but also to raise some money. And I want to get into We're going to take a quick break, but I want to come back and I want to talk to you about things that we can look for, things that we can do as parents, family support systems to uh maybe look for signs ways we can help in addition to the programs you offer.
Speaker 3: So what did that?
Speaker 1: We come back and hopefully get a little donation action from you. One on one point three katiewb with Fallon and Colt. We are live from Children to Minnesota. It is Give to Kids' Day. We are trying to raise money to help support the mental health program here.
Speaker 3: I really hope that.
Speaker 1: A you're learning a little bit today, whether or not you have a kid that would use these programs, it's it's good information. As a cult. My are both parents. I have a seventeen year old step son. I have a five year old daughter cult five and three year.
Speaker 2: Old yeah five almost four. So yeah, you know, these are conversations where, especially as they get into school, there's emotions and you're not there like how mitigate and they're trying to figure out like, oh why do I feel this way or whatever. It's a scary step to take, you know, when you just release them out to the world.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely so, we have with us. Sarah Jerstad, PhD LP. She's a child psychologists here and we were just talking to her, and I said, before we went to break, when we come back, I want I talk about, like, as a parent, as a part of the support community around the kids, what are some things that we can look for in our kids.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's such a great question because as parents you start to wonder what's normal and what's abnormal. A teenager hanging out in their room all day online, A lot of parents would say, Okay, I think that's what teenagers do. But one of the things as a parent you really want to do is look at how has my team been behaving and is something different. So if this is a kid who's been involved in sports or activities or with friends and all of a sudden you see them isolating more, it's a signal you know, you know your kid's the best, and it's a signal that something is going on. And then it's time to probably talk to them, not with the pressure of you know, something is really wrong, but just I'm here to listen and is everything okay?
Speaker 4: Opening up that conversation, and.
Speaker 3: I know a lot of kids are going to be like nothing, you know, nothing's.
Speaker 10: Wrong, standard teenage response.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when one thing that and I don't know how you'll feel about this.
Speaker 3: So this is what my husband has always said.
Speaker 1: He's found he's been able to get have the best conversations and get the most out of his son in the car.
Speaker 3: And there's something a strategy for taking boks, Yes.
Speaker 1: Something about they don't have to make direct eye contact, and I don't know they have. They're there, they're isolated together. It's like that's where the best conversations happen.
Speaker 10: You take the opportunities that you have in front of you to talk to your kid. You don't want to make it a big sit down because immediately kids feel pressured.
Speaker 4: They're so sensitive to that.
Speaker 10: But getting in the car or just if you regularly do things, you regularly take them to somewhere, you regularly have dinner, that's where open conversation can happen. And as a parent, it's really healthy to model your own feelings.
Speaker 4: If you've had a hard day.
Speaker 10: Or if you're feeling stressed about something, to openly talk about it. It really kind of opens up the door to your teenager or a young child to recognize it's actually okay to talk about things that are hard or stressful.
Speaker 2: I found that as I go when I go to therapy, like every Tuesday, I'll be like, all right, I gotta go. I have an appointment for myself and they're like, what are you talking about? And I'm like, well, it's kind of like a doctor a little bit, like I'm going to get a check up. And they're like, so on your brain. It's your brain, bro, if you have brain surgery. And I was like, kind of a little bit. I'm just talking about how I feel and what's going on in my life. So I can, you know, be the best version of me.
Speaker 3: What a great example for your kids.
Speaker 10: Yeah, to show them that it's healthy to take care of your mental health, to talk to someone and to get support, and for young kids to see that, then it's just normalizes it as time goes on.
Speaker 1: If you're just turning on your radio, we're talking to Sarah jer said, she's a child psychologist here at Children's Minnesota. We are in the final weeks of the school or my son Steffun just took the act.
Speaker 3: There, the tests happening.
Speaker 1: There's the pressure of finals of graduation. How can students manage that?
Speaker 10: Yeah, the pressure of school can be really difficult, and when kids feel anxious sometimes their tenants is to just put it off right, Maybe I'll just watch some YouTube or go play a video game, or.
Speaker 4: Just do something else.
Speaker 10: But when that happens for a long time, then a pile up occurs and there's overwhelming that can actually lead to pretty significant anxiety. So if parents can kind of help them check in structure time, you know, getting their assignments done on more of a regular basis, that is going to relieve that ultimate anxiety and that pile up at the end. Another thing that kids face at the end of the year is maybe, especially if you're a junior or senior, what am I going to do next?
Speaker 3: What's happening?
Speaker 10: And you know, adults have a little bit of that perspective to recognize this. You don't have to make a decision for the rest of your life right now, even though.
Speaker 4: As a kid it feels like it just does.
Speaker 10: And so to kind of say the journey is fun and awesome and to let your kids know the direction they go. If it's one way and then another, that's okay. You know you're with them in that process.
Speaker 3: Absolutely well.
Speaker 1: I want to thank you so much for joining us and talking with us today. We are raising money for Children's Minnesota, especially for their mental health programs. You know, today May first kicks off Mental Health Awareness Month. It's all year round, but you know they give months to certain things.
Speaker 3: So if you want to make a donation, you can.
Speaker 1: You can go to Salin and colts on to one oh one point three KDWB broadcasting live from Children's Minnesota, kicking off Mental Health Awareness Month and trying to raise some money.
Speaker 3: While we're out here, we're going to have doctor G. G. Chawla joining.
Speaker 1: She's the vice president chief of General Pediatrics here. I know we're going to talk to her about all the type of services they have, how they're making it more accessible to families. We're going to talk to her in about five minutes on KDDA. It's one on one point three KATIEWB with Fallon and Cult broadcasting live from Children's Minnesota. We're out in Saint Paul today for a very very important Today it's Give to Kids Day and just a heads up, we are raising money but also awareness for their mental health program and donations are being matched today. No pressure, but I say this would be a pretty good day to make a donation at Children's MN dot org slash give I don't know how we lined all these amazing guests up today if you will to talk about the program, but we have doctor gg Tala joining US vice President in chief of General Pediatrics. So a pretty big role you have here and I want to dive in immediately. Have you tell people a little bit about yourself and your role here at Children's Minnesota.
Speaker 4: Well, thanks so much for having me here.
Speaker 5: I'm super excited about it, and you know, my role really started decades ago. My family's very first home was on the Children's campus. Wow, and so I grew I'm part of the fabric, kind of grew up here, did all my medical school and training, and then was really fortunate about twenty five years ago to start my career at Children's Minnesota.
Speaker 3: Well, I know that Children's Minnesota.
Speaker 1: They obviously we're talking about the mental health program. Maybe you can lean to that a little bit, kind of explain what are the services that you provide, the types of different services.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're really excited about our mental health continuum for kids here at Children's. You know, prior to really launching our effort, we did some investigation, right, Yeah, we talked to our stakeholders internally who take care of kids. We talked to our community and really understood what it was that they were looking for, what the gaps were, as we really honed what our continuum services would be, so we offer the full spectrum for pediatric care.
Speaker 4: We're really proud of that.
Speaker 5: It starts all the way from integrated behavioral health, which our therapists who work right in our primary care clinics embed at the hip with our clinicians to make sure that even talking about mental health topics is easy and comfortable for patients and for staff alike, all the way through to more standalone services for therapy embed into our specialty clinics, so when you come to see your cancer doctor, you also have a therapist available for you. Then to two more advanced care that's really needed for specialized services like kids with autism, kids who have eating disorders, and then kids who have more acute mental health concerns or crises where we need to really devote specific and extra time focused on their mental health at partial hospitalization or day treatment programs, and even in patient mental health.
Speaker 1: I love what you said about making people more comfortable and how they talk about it, because you know, we talk about it on our show frequently from celebrities who are you know, maybe they're going into treatment. We talk about it with our own personal lives, going to therapy and addressing things, and I find myself being nervous to say the wrong thing, to to approach it the wrong way. And so it's so important to help people who are in the support systems around kids know how to talk about it and be there for their kids, but also, like you said, the people actually in the hospital to be able to address this and approach it properly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I think everybody's got their story.
Speaker 5: You know. Mental health care is whole body care, right all the way from preventative care to the little things that if we address early enough, don't escalate, don't become big or lifelong problems, especially when we're talking about kids. Preventative care or giving kids the tools and the families tools really early on can make a whole lifetime of difference.
Speaker 1: If you're turning on your radio and you're like, Okay, what exactly am I missing?
Speaker 3: What's going on here?
Speaker 1: We're at Children's Minnesota today and we are talking to doctor gg Tawa, Vice President in chief of General Pediatrics here, and really the goal is to do all the program they have, but also so maybe just give you a little bit of information for your own life, things that you're dealing with with your kids or how to approach different things, and know that there are resources right here.
Speaker 3: In our community.
Speaker 1: And your money today, like a donation that you make is going to be doubled. It helps with others dealing with this, maybe it will benefit you one day. You can go to Children's MN dot org slash GiB but we're gonna come back. We're gonna speak one on one point three katiewb with Fallon and Cult and joining us as doctor Gig Taula here from Children's Minnesota. We are broadcasting live. We're actually the Saint Paul location. For many reasons.
Speaker 3: May kicks off.
Speaker 1: Mental health awareness month. That's a big one. It's Give to Kids Day. So we put this all together, like let's raise some money while we're out here, raise some awareness about the mental health program they offer and help fund this. So I know, Colt, you you've been waiting to ask some questions and I didn't let you at all last time.
Speaker 2: So here we go. Yeah, like I don't know, I didn't have like structure growing up as a child, like I didn't have like anybody to look to to like, Okay, this is how you're supposed to like raise a family. So I'm kind of just in here, winging it with my five year old and my four soon to be four year old. And my question is, like, if let's say, like a question, I have some questions and some concerns, and I'm like unsure if I'm fit to be able to help them by my own. What are some of the unique things you do here at Children's that can kind of like give me a little bit of confidence of like, Okay, this is the right step I need to take. This is where I need to bring up for these resources.
Speaker 5: Well, that's a great question to start, and you know, I think it's a lot of the same type of questions that families have. You know, there is no great playbook for how to you know, what's the best parenting advice and what's the greatest technique here and there? Because it really is unique and individualized. There's books out there about, you know, how to raise children to do X, Y and Z, but making it personal is really the most important part. So for me, the answer to that would be an established trusted relationship first with a primary care provider who can bring in integrated behavioral health professionals, which are therapists that might help guide you as a parent when you're trying to make the right.
Speaker 4: Choice should I should I do?
Speaker 5: Should I try to, you know, temper this child who's got really a lot of emotional dysregulation in this way? Should I do it with a reward system? Or how should I approach it? It really becomes very useful to kind of walk it through in a highly unique way with our integrated behavioral health therapists.
Speaker 2: And do you find it challenging for some parents? Like there's almost like an ego thing like I'm doing I should be able to figure out how to do this on my own. And I just know because I have two daughters and they're completely different. So it's like, all right, you're not ones acting this way, the others acting this way, so I'm perfect, must not be any I'm doing there. It's totally different personality. True, So is there like a step where parents kind of have to like kind of know like it's not what I'm doing, but this is just like the necessary thing for my kid?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I think, Boy, when when a parent really feels how challenging it can be. You know, between different children too, that's like some of the most vulnerable time, and it just it can eat away at you to not feel like you're perfect or you don't have the right answer for one child compared to the other child. You know, I think the first thing to really make sure that parents know is that they should not be alone. They should not ever feel alone in that moment, especially culturally. You know, we've got a lot of ego built up on what parenting looks like and making our kids feel really successful.
Speaker 4: But it really does take a village. I mean, that's exactly what it is.
Speaker 5: And we've created a little bit of society where we've siloed ourselves instead of leaning into that community and extended family support. But think about you know, your healthcare provider, Children's Minnesota, and other teammates as being part of that village.
Speaker 1: I know, one thing that stops a lot of families is they don't feel that they have the resources or the funds. Things are not accessible to every family. How is it different with Children's Minnesota. How are you making programs like this more accessible?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I think it's a really good point healthcare is complicated, Yes it is. Yes, healthcare can even be a little bit broken, and that's you know. One example is this concept of integrated behavioral health. So in the past, we used to identify kids and families who really needed extra support from a therapy standpoint, and we would give them a referral right right, and that type of referral that means you, as a parent who's already feeling overwhelmed, have to now figure out how to get a hold of somebody in network and do all of these things to get your child that next needed step.
Speaker 4: And that all on.
Speaker 5: Its own, you've got at least fifty percent of families that do not make the step right just because of the hurdle. That's what integrated behavioral health does, is it takes away at least.
Speaker 4: One of the hurdles.
Speaker 5: When we're in the room and you're telling me about how difficult your child is with this type of behavior, we're going to pull in a therapist right then and there, make sure that we establish how easy it is to access right there in the clinic that you've already been coming to, and start to take care of services there. And if we can't, then we're going to partner with the community for where should your child go next, and make that handoff so that it's easier, it feels safer, and it's not just up to the parent to do it exactly.
Speaker 1: I mean you're exactly like you said, the parent is already feeling a lot. They're also working, they're raising kids. They it's probably not just the one kid, right, Usually there are others that they're taking care of, so that it's a lot on the parents. Amazing that you really help fill that gap for them and make life just a little bit easier during a really difficult time.
Speaker 3: We're at Children's Minnesota.
Speaker 1: We've been talking to doctor Gigi Taula here and I want to just say that these programs do become more available to families with more funding that we raise here today and today they are doubling donations. If you get a chance, maybe something touches you, maybe this is a program that's helped you and your family in the past. This is your time to donate. You can go to Children's mn dot org slash give Thank you so much, We appreciate your time.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me Today.
Speaker 3: It's the Pop Culture Minute with Balan and.
Speaker 4: Cult on one on one point three d w B.
Speaker 1: We're so distracted because Break is the dog here at Children's Minnesota. He's the best good boys, a little stuffy.
Speaker 3: He's going to the lane in his bed and they sit.
Speaker 1: They're actually going to get another dog soon, specifically for their mental health programs.
Speaker 2: Excited they're going to be best friends. I know, dude. They need a TV show, kind.
Speaker 3: Of a little bit you live camp, Live Cam.
Speaker 1: Oh, I watch it all the time. Just a couple of ideas. We're throwing out pressure. Obviously, we are raising money today and Children's of Minnesota.
Speaker 2: It's that could be a every we get rise gets a little treaty tre treat.
Speaker 3: Why would you deprive Rigs of a treat It's disrespectful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know it is being matched today, So you know you're doing good Bye Rigs. You're doing good by Children's Minnesota, their mental health program.
Speaker 3: It's all good stuff.
Speaker 1: You can donate now at Children's m n dot org slash give all.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Diving into our pop culture minute, as you know Nick Cannon twelve kids with six women, which is you know whatever. I don't it's in on my business, but I will say that he confirmed he did have his area ensured for ten million dollars.
Speaker 2: What does that even mean? I'm confused.
Speaker 1: Well, some celebrities will do it like it was like they used to say, like Jennifer Lopez had her butt insirt, but like you the best asset, so.
Speaker 2: If it goes away, happens to it?
Speaker 1: Yes, because that's where they're making their money or what.
Speaker 3: And he says this is his best best asset.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 1: But the funny part about it, he goes on the podcast he confirmed he did this, and then one of his baby mamas reposted and said, ha ha ha ha funny and he plans on seeing your child. It's been over a month, but good to know she'll get some of your money if anything happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the issue is like they have to go into it knowing that he's not going to be around right well, because at some point when you have twelve, it's like it's hard.
Speaker 1: To yeah, see you, mommy. I have a hard time being a great mom. I feel like I'm a one kid. So yeah, I don't know how Nick Knon's doing it with well, feels like he probably isn't.
Speaker 3: I don't know who am I to judge?
Speaker 2: Right, dude, Mike drop more.
Speaker 1: Moments come and play for the family of Bill Belichick. He remember did a fun little interview with CBS, and by the way, he's said since that he's like upset with the line of questioning was supposed to be just about his book, because the interviewer said, Hey, how did you guys meet to Bill in his seventies and his girlfriend in her twenties, And she's like, we're not talking about that.
Speaker 3: She like popped up out of nowhere, and everyone's like, oh my gosh, where's she come from?
Speaker 1: And CBS like, we actually specifically over and over again to his publisher, said we would be asking a variety of questions, and they approved it over and over again. So we were not out of line with our question at all. And there was no weird editing. So what are they even talking about? So they're standing firm and what they did.
Speaker 2: I think she's genius. I think she did this because she knew it blew up. I don't even know he had a book, and so she just said that.
Speaker 1: So well, I guess a couple of his previous players kind of went on their podcast to defend him and to sit down and they're like, you know, this is like normal to do when you have a couple sitting there, and she was kind of acting as publicists. Even Nicky Glazer commented on the podcast, posting, one hundred percent this she's acting as his publicist. Publicists do this during interviews all the time. People are out for blood. But his daughter in law commented to her and said, publicists act in a professional manner and don't storm offset delaying an interview.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's really no way around it. You gotta but again, maybe what they want for the publicity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, he's saying she didn't cross any lines, YadA, YadA, and then everyone else is going bill blink twice.
Speaker 2: Couldn't he just like not have like he does? He is it necessary for him to even have something like I don't know, it just feels.
Speaker 1: Are saying have a girlfriend. Well, most humans enjoy companionship.
Speaker 2: Well, he knows why she's there though, right, I mean, he's gotta think.
Speaker 3: I don't think.
Speaker 1: I don't think when older men are rich and they have very young girlfriends, I don't really think that big care that that might be the reason they're there. True, they're still there, you know what? I mean, they're like cool, So I don't think that that relate fathers. On it all, they're saying that Rihanna might surprise every one of the Matt Galler revealing she's pregnant again, which I think is a crazy thing to say.
Speaker 3: And let's see.
Speaker 1: Lord is dropping her new album, her fourth album, on June twenty seventh, and they say Chapel Rowan is looking to enter the acting arena. You're looking for something new to stream the four season show Tina Fey Road Stars and with Steve Carell, Will Forte and more. It's not broadcasting live from Children's Minnesota or Fallon and cult on one oh one point three k d WB. And everyone is aware of obviously mental health, right we're talking about it. We're more comfortable talking to our kids about it, our family and they offer an amazing program here at children So that's what we're here for. We're to raise more awareness about the program, to raise money at children'smn dot org slash give, and we're talking to the people that are a part of the program, like Krista Majeris, she is the child Life supervisor And I want to talk about now you you work with probably the most popular member of the staff, which absolutely, yes, hands down. So what I mean by that, I'll let you explain that, Christa. So who do you work with and explain a little bit more about the program you offer which is so amazing.
Speaker 11: Yes, So we started the medical dog program here at Children's Minnesota just over.
Speaker 4: Two years ago.
Speaker 3: And also it's still pretty new. Yes, yeah, it is so.
Speaker 11: Yes, we have Rigs our first medical doctor on staff.
Speaker 1: It's so hard to resist and we like we immediately everyone people by the way earlier came in, they didn't want to meet me and called Doug his Riggs here.
Speaker 3: I was like no, and they left, right, that's true.
Speaker 11: So, yes, Riggs is a four year old Lab golden mix. He came to us from Cando Canines, who helps train assistance animals, and he is the first dog in our medical doctor or medical dog program.
Speaker 3: What does he do? What is what is he? How does he help patients?
Speaker 11: Riggs is nominal and I say that his biggest gift is he is a connector. He really helps connect staff and our patients. Right, So a lot of our patients that come in, and specifically today we're talking about mental health and Riggs does interface with you know, patients that are here for acute mental health services and specifically within our eating disorders population and program, and you know there can be some stigma attached to some of those things, right, And Riggs he comes in no judgment. He is ready to connect with patients and kids where they're at, and he helps he helps us every day to do our jobs more easily as well.
Speaker 2: And you were actually telling us a little bit about there's a procedure you do with him, including nail polish if you want to jump into that. Let's talk about that, right right.
Speaker 11: So when I talk about connections, I'm talking about how sometimes kids in the healthcare environment can be slow to warm up, slow to talk, slow to connect with us or with their peers too, And so Riggs is just like that avenue for us, like maybe they don't want to talk to us right now, but they'll talk to him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, exactly.
Speaker 11: And maybe also he helps with those social connections amongst other kids too. So we were talking earlier about how just last week there were four patients in our eating disorders program and they were all had each a paw and we're painting his his nails all different colors, and yet they were interacting with each other too and connecting together, and it was just a really fun moment. And I think what's great about the program is it it can look on the outside like a lot of fluff and cuddles, right, but it's it's real work, and it's work that is based in what their medical goals and their treatment plan is.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, we're at Children's Minnesota talking about their mental health program and one of the big things is part of the you said it was called the medical Dog program, and we're talking about Rigs a little bit. We're gonna come back, We're gonna talk to Christa a little bit more about the program.
Speaker 3: And obviously we've posted photos and videos and Rigs.
Speaker 1: You can see those on social media Fallon and Cult also one oh one three KATWB on Instagram. We also have linked one oh one point three katiewb.
Speaker 3: With Fallon and Cult. And we have the Child.
Speaker 1: Life Supervisor here at Children's Minnesota joining us, Krista Majeris.
Speaker 3: So we were talking about Rigs now. Riggs is a.
Speaker 1: Very important staff member here at Children's part of the Medical Dog program. First of all, we gotta give Riggs a shout out. If you want to give him a follow on Instagram. What's his handle? Riggs Underscore MD.
Speaker 4: A professional.
Speaker 3: Yes, please follow, Please do.
Speaker 1: If you were looking for some wholesome content in the world of social media, this is your answer.
Speaker 2: You just have like one of those like play doctor kids and if we've ran through some simulations like getting a shot and you have like a needle in his and you're just chilling, which.
Speaker 1: Is another tool you use to help kids here in the mental health program and throughout, like using Riggs as the example.
Speaker 11: Absolutely a lot of what he does is helping kids learn about the hospital environment and normalizing it for them, because that's the role of a childlife specialist and our medical Dog team is to help kids understand their healthcare experience and make it a little less scary. So if that means we can work with them through play, through art, through music, through Rigs a their dog, those are the avenues that we use, and we use the language of kids pay as well, and so using some of those medical play tools with rigs and patients just helps things to be a little less scary.
Speaker 1: Another amazing thing about children's here. We're here at the Saint Paul location, which is like your main area is child life and maybe you can explain what that is a little bit for you know, patients who come here for treatment. Absolutely, so our childlife, music therapy, a healing arts program here is part of the wrap around services that all patients receive. And the amazing thing is that it never shows up on their bill.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 4: And so that's why.
Speaker 11: We're raising money today is for those services so they're accessible for every patient that comes and so that we can help promote their child development even while they're here in the hospital, because no kid or family plans to be ill or injured, and so we really want to continue them on that correct path of development while they're here so that they can still be kids and understand the experience that they're having too, So teaching them about the hospital in ways that they can understand whether they're two or twelve or eighteen. And so we use a lot of different modalities, like I said, play music, art, all of the above.
Speaker 2: That's going to be a really cool experience just seeing like a kid come in like a little nervous and then like by the time they leave, you're like, oh, they're loving it. They're interested, they're aware of everything that's going on and.
Speaker 11: It's about building those coping skills, and that is really what mental health is about, too, is building those coping skills so that they can master some of those things that they're gonna come up against in life. Right, whether it's a healthcare experience or experience outside of the hospital, that they have those coping skills built in them that we help them develop here they can take forward into future medical experiences or life experiences.
Speaker 1: It's amazing, and you mentioned I mean, the reason we can keep this off the bill is because of the funds that we're raising today and they're being matched. So we would be so so so appreciative you could help out these amazing programs a Children's Minnesota. You go to Children's MN dot org slash give. Also, I know this a lot of companies also match your donation, so I guess you can double it up in that way as well, So check that out.
Speaker 3: I want to thank you so much. Christmas one on one.
Speaker 1: Point three KATIEWB with Balin and Cold we are broadcasting live from Children's Minnesota. Are actually at the same Fall location and it's a really big days Give to Kids to day and we're hoping to, like you know, get you some information on the health program they offer here. We're gonna be talking to experts throughout the show at learning a lot ourselves and also raising money for the program.
Speaker 3: Or need you more details? We come back on one on one point three kt W what normal or nope?
Speaker 2: On one point three KTWB normal or nope.
Speaker 1: I know someone who when they make a cold drink with ice cubes, they put the ice in first, where I do the drink first and then ice cubes.
Speaker 3: Normal or dope?
Speaker 2: I feel, Wait, do you think which one you put the ice in first? Because then you pour the water or whatever you're poorn in and then you know, like how much the laquld is supposed because then sometimes you throw the ice in it'say.
Speaker 3: Oh lashes, miscalculated splashes.
Speaker 1: So I would say I think the same thing, ice cubes first, then the drink.
Speaker 3: But a lot of the time I filled the cup.
Speaker 1: Of water, go over to the ice tray and then PLoP it in. It's it's rebellious.
Speaker 2: Well that's a flax hav and an ice tray. That's I don't have any ice in my house at all. Actually that's all ambient, dude.
Speaker 3: I couldn't live in a world without ice, it's just.
Speaker 2: All luke warms. Basically, just like.
Speaker 3: It's so European of you, it is so European normal.
Speaker 1: Or no washing bigger dishes in the bathtub because your kitchen is too small. I don't mean like pots and fans, but like cake and cupcake carriers and other huge kitchen items.
Speaker 2: So you take into the bathtub and then you actually, no, that's you're a psycho.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 1: Also, what are you doing with food? I wonder there you just like clogging your bathtub with cupcake?
Speaker 2: How are you in?
Speaker 3: Is your apartment? I'm not trying to judge you, but I'm worried.
Speaker 2: If you're in like an RV camper, that makes sense, But you know, how small is your.
Speaker 3: Doesn't make sense. I still don't see a world where I take my.
Speaker 2: Well if your sink is like super small, like get it, but like where.
Speaker 1: My mom uses her dishwasher for extra storage and just hand washes her dishes.
Speaker 2: But that feels like you could go anywhere else.
Speaker 3: Tell that storage because she has an apartment, doesn't have a junk, she doesn't have a lot of storage. She's living in a small apart in your garage she has.
Speaker 1: And I've I've acted. She made a flaw. She doesn't get to put anything else in my storage or my garage.
Speaker 3: I'm not kidding.
Speaker 1: She's so hot and heavy on Facebook marketplace like I got this for free.
Speaker 3: I'm like, how is that my problem? I don't want that my garage.
Speaker 2: Listen, your mom can bring she could, she can use my storage and by storage I mean just my basement. So that's what it is. So yeah, big mistake, dude. Death can come over anytime.
Speaker 3: Normal or no.
Speaker 1: Peeling a carrot and not wanting to dirty another utensil, so you just bite off the ends. You know you would You would normally chop off the end of a carrot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess you could be able with a strawberry too, right, I don't ever even thought about that if you're cutting up for your kid.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I can't subscribe to that.
Speaker 3: At some point in life, your child would like recall you know there, they would remember.
Speaker 1: Dad always just bit the top of my strawberry off, and they would I don't think they would like that memory.
Speaker 2: I had to stop doing it with grapes because I would like bite a grape in half in hand, and they recently were like, yeah, dude, I don't want.
Speaker 3: To I don't want to me the line somewhere yet.
Speaker 1: All right, So if you ever have a normal or nope, you can text us five three ninety two one KATIEWB one broadcasting live from Children's Today's Trending with Felon and Cold on one one. Okay, we are broadcasting live from Children's Minnesota, and we're gonna get an update here in a little bit for how much we've raised. Uh, they are matching donation stays. You can go to Children's men dot org, slash give and it is Give to Kids Day and we're trying to help out. We're raising awareness about their mental health program, raising funds for that. So we'll be diving more into that throughout the show. All Right, a little bit of trending for you.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 1: They say, if you want to know if someone is lying, there is one word that immediately is a dead giveaway someone isn't telling the truth.
Speaker 3: This is on a recent diary of a CEO podcast.
Speaker 1: They said, when someone says never, it's a sign they're lying.
Speaker 3: Never is an extreme. Extremes are a dead giveaway.
Speaker 2: All the time.
Speaker 3: I know you say to me, you're like, I would never leave.
Speaker 1: You at.
Speaker 2: Ago.
Speaker 1: I would never like take my family and move to a different state and abandon you.
Speaker 2: I would never say you're crazy behind your back.
Speaker 1: That's not a thing I deserve that one. I can give you a pass on. Let's see, it's May. Obviously, mental Health Awareness Month kicks off today. That's why we're here at Children's. But other things going on in May.
Speaker 3: No mo May.
Speaker 1: So it's a movement that's supposed to help your yard and the bees.
Speaker 3: So you're not supposed to know your month for the entire or the lawn for the entire month.
Speaker 2: Yes see. I tried this last year and then my neighbor was like, you know, one of the reasons why I moved into this neighborhood is because everybody just takes care of their yard and it's just nice.
Speaker 3: And I was like, dude, and I will in Jim.
Speaker 2: I was like, I'm doing it for the bees.
Speaker 3: Dude, Yeah, mind your business. You don't have an ho a. You're fine. They can't get on you.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you, my ajoy will probably have a ruler in my yard.
Speaker 1: Neighboring.
Speaker 3: Also, no meat May.
Speaker 1: That's another thing I don't know that I'm going to make it on that one no meat may dot organ.
Speaker 3: On that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no, guess what I've eaten today. All I've had today so far is an almond croissant, So I'm sticking to it. I'm doing well with no meat may.
Speaker 2: It's kind of a flex.
Speaker 7: You're fasting, fasting by eating an eight hundred calorie criissant to start my day.
Speaker 2: That was like the only thing you had, So I don't know. I is this?
Speaker 1: So wait a minute, when you've told me the past you were fasting, is this how you were doing fast I mean technically a thousand calories.
Speaker 2: Any amount of time after you eat is technically fasting. So I mean you're sitting a non NonStop cycle of fasting if you think about it that way.
Speaker 3: So you do have an angle on everything. Yeah, would you say you never not fast?
Speaker 2: I mean I could probably gaslate you in the thinking that.
Speaker 1: Okay, while I was using the never still raising funds at Children's mnt dot org slash get Tomorrow is the day tickets go on sales. I'm giving you a heads up so you are ready for it. Wheel of Fortune Live is come to Treasure Island. You could be selected to play the game for your chance to win incredible prizes. When the iconic show rolls on into the island. It's Saturday and Sunday, so you have two chances October eighteenth and nineteenth, get something on the calendar and get to the island again. Tickets go on sale tomorrow at TI Casino dot com.
Speaker 3: Also, maybe like a little yacht rock.
Speaker 1: We've had some nice warmer weather on the Twin Cities and I always think of that like being out on the boat. Well, the smooth sounds of the seventies and eighties are coming with a little river band. You can dive into fifty years of yacht rock favorites when they come with the Happy Anniversary Tour to Treasure Island Friday.
Speaker 3: May ninth.
Speaker 1: Okay, all the entertainment is fantastic, but you know Treasure Island's also going to hook you up with great hotel and package options.
Speaker 3: They always do.
Speaker 1: They have fantastic dining of course, the great gaming floor, and I always mention the spot because I love a massage. Book it at TI Casino dot com one O one point three KDWB Withthallon and Colt. We've got the where we've hit over ten thousand.
Speaker 3: Dollars raised today. My Children's going to Settle.
Speaker 1: We're so excited we're here and we've been here all afternoon.
Speaker 3: A little bit different of a show.
Speaker 1: We mix in some normal stuff, but it's all to raise awareness for the mental health program at Children's and also to raise some money, as you heard in their doubling donations today. So when you make a donation, it's really really exciting because it doubles up and helps great programs, which like when we're going to talk about right now, we have a guest joining us, Natasha Stark. She is a music therapist here and Natasha, I feel like everyone talks about this all the time, like how special music is to every person. I mean, we see videos all the time of people hearing a song and it will it's almost like it takes one back to a different place and time. It truly is like the I think, the biggest connector that we as humans have. So I want to talk a little bit about the work you do here at Children's with music therapy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean you're right on, and music is the greatest connector, right and I get to see that every single day in my job.
Speaker 8: So I'm one of the music therapists.
Speaker 6: You're at Children's Minnesota, and I specifically work a lot with our mental health patients. So I'm down in our partial hospitalization program in Lakeville, and then I also spend time here at the Saint Paul Hospital.
Speaker 1: So if you're a patient at Childrize, what does that look like? When do you know you're going to work with someone and what is that relationship like?
Speaker 6: So it's a little different depending on if you're in the impatient or outpatient setting. So at our partial hospitalization program, I do groups four times a week down in Lakeville, and we also have music therapy services in Roseville as well. So those groups look like creating music, talking about music, listening to music, all with the goal of focusing on our mental health.
Speaker 8: And it could look like.
Speaker 6: An instrument lesson, but the goal isn't necessarily to actually learn the instrument. The goal is self esteem, self expression, coping skills, all those things that go into mental health treatment.
Speaker 1: Right, isn't an interesting you know we were talking about which another another of your coworkers, there's amazing Rigs.
Speaker 8: Yes, my favorite coworker.
Speaker 1: It's the things that you don't even realize that this is something that is helping this. It just seems like I'm interacting with an amazing dog today. I am listening to music that I love today, and you don't realize the way that that is helping you or your teen with mental health.
Speaker 3: It's crazy.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Absolutely. It might look like any other musical interaction. It might look like a jam session, it might look like karaoke. But because I'm a board certified music therapist, I have the skills to design these musical interventions in a way that meets those mental health goals.
Speaker 2: And what's it like? What does it feel like when you see, like, let's say a kid comes in for the first time, and then you go through this maybe it's like a couple weeks or whatever, and then you really see them start to build the confidence. What is that feeling like for you?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 6: I mean, it's the best feeling in the world. It's absolutely the reason why do what I do well.
Speaker 1: We are raising money today for Children's Minnesota. And if you're like, who are you talking to? We were just talking to Natasha Stark. She is a music therapist here at Children's and she rushed over here from the Minneapolis campus because we're at Saint Paul today to talk about this because it's so important to her and to so many our mental health and our kids mental health. T. One oh one point three katiewb with Fallon and Cole. We're talking to Natasha Stark because we are live at Children's Minnesota and we are talking about their mental health program they offer here, which Cole and I have learned a lot today also from various people who have joined us. And Natasha your specialty. You are the music one of the music therapists here. We're raising money right now. Donations are being doubled, which is fantastic. What does the money do to help programs like yours here at Children's.
Speaker 6: So music therapy, child life. These are services that don't show up in a patient's bill. They are not charged to insurance and a patient will never be charged to receive them. And that means that donations are so important in order to keep our work going. And know that if you are giving money to Children's Minnesota today, you are supporting a holistic version of health, not just the medical treatment, not just standard therapy, not just medications for a child or teen, but music are expression, right, those things that really make up a full person's health it's.
Speaker 1: Talking to so many different people at Children's today. Really, you really do see the teamwork that goes into it and how they look at each person as an individual and figure out what's best for them. So maybe it is coming to see you, but maybe it's going to see this person. Maybe it's doing this, and it's really so personalized in the way you commit to help families because the music therapy isn't just for the individual, like this is gonna be like a whole family thing, right.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, yeah, Family centered care is really important to all of the music therapists here. Involving families in all the musical interactions have is really important.
Speaker 3: And you have some favorite artists yourself, right, Oh I do?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Oh yes, yeah.
Speaker 8: Did somebody tell you that I'm a swiftie?
Speaker 3: You did?
Speaker 1: We guarantee that Swifty like some swifty action is going to be involved in some of these music there.
Speaker 3: I heard maybe Scissa as well.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I do love Sizza, so I yeah, personally my personal preferences.
Speaker 8: I love Taylor Swift.
Speaker 6: But the wonderful thing about doing music therapy is that I'm rarely to never choosing the music for these patients. They are telling me what kind of music they like, and then I'm figuring out how to use that music to help them.
Speaker 2: So you didn't like coming to this career and make everybody a little swifty like that, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, No, I don't think that would be very ethical in my role.
Speaker 8: I just don't bring it up unless they bring it up. I got focus on the patient, focus on the client.
Speaker 6: If the client wants Kendrick Lamar, We're gonna do Kendrick Lamar. I can make any music therapeutic.
Speaker 8: Oh that's amazing.
Speaker 3: I love to hear that.
Speaker 2: Now that that's been one of the most eye opening things since we've been here today is just when you think about like mental health can be like so heavy and negative, but everything that Children's here offers is just like so positive and so eye opening and it really helps like take that make the step into like bettering yourself just so easy with all the resources you have.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Absolutely, I mean that's the goal.
Speaker 3: Right, absolutely. And you can help that.
Speaker 1: You can help the patience, You can help families by donating to the amazing programs. They have their mental health program here at Children's again, it is Give to Kids Day. May kicked off mental health awareness months so that's what we're doing that today.
Speaker 3: By the way, even though it's.
Speaker 1: An every day, all year long thing, you can donate now at Children's mn dot org slash give Natasha.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for joining.
Speaker 1: Us, Thank you so much for having me, and if you've hung out with us this afternoon, we want to thank you so much for that. We really appreciate the donations. It doesn't stop now. We have the links posted on our social media pages and maybe you get home tonight you're on the couch scrolling, you can check that out and make a donation and it is doubled throughout this the whole day. So thank you so much to children for having us out here today and you for hanging out with us and listening. And maybe you know someone you can pass awa. We'll put this podcast up. You can pass it along to someone you know as well at the end of the day if you want to help them out with some resources as well.
Speaker 3: It's katiewb