Speaker 1: You know what's in store for you for the next half an our ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 2: Oh you'll never guess.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is the first in a new series of adventures with card down Here, John Pertwee, Betty Paul, Roger Snowton, the five Smith Brothers Standing Black, and the Orchestra, and of course that crazy couple Jimmy Jewel and Ben Worries. Since we last heard from our two heroes, they've moved into an apartment over a disused fire station, and our story begins there. One brisk morning in early autumn, Jimmy is cleaning his teeth the.
Speaker 3: World ball rather the wall, right, all right, all right, stop garding.
Speaker 2: That'll be quite another that noise, James, Oh, of course it will. That's no way. That is no way to say hello to the ladies and gentlemen. Of course, not if you're going to sing at all. If you're going to sing at all, I should sing a little song like this, Welcome to you all, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome ladies and gentlemen, Sweet day days and gentlemen, sweet ladies, gentlemen, who welcome to you all. Well, that's better out than in, isn't it. Well, I wish you'd come out of the bathroom, James. You know you've been there for hours. Yes, and tell me why you're getting all dressed up this morning. Oh, I don't like to tell you. Oh god, na Sha, go on tell Benny what I know. I know? Oh, yes, you will. I guessed it's it's something to do with Betty.
Speaker 4: You're so clever. Then go to the top of the class. She's calling around to see her this morning.
Speaker 2: You mean to say you asked a pretty young girl like Betty around to this dirty old fire station.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a birthday on Saturday, and I want to find out what she liked for the presents are there?
Speaker 2: Why don't you ask yourself? I can't.
Speaker 4: Then why not you ask her? Oh no, No, every time I see Betty I.
Speaker 2: Go all to pieces. You don't.
Speaker 4: I wish I was more the kind of man she admires. Really, I wish I would a film's turn. Oh it's not, Robert Taylor.
Speaker 2: Oh that's not all been wonderful being a film star, Taylor. Don't you realize that one day you're kissing Betty Grable, Lana Turner, Dollithan Moore. The next day you're just a has been. But brother, just look where you has been? Someone at the door, Betty, Betty, I'm going to say, no, you're not. I can't stand. I'm gonna catch waking. No, no, I'll go on catch me. Oh stop, listen. I wish you'd stop laughing about Jimmy. Well out the way they go gone on the door?
Speaker 1: Ben?
Speaker 2: Hello, then, oh, good, good morning, Betty.
Speaker 4: Hello, Jimmy, Hello, Betty.
Speaker 2: Won't you come come in? TM?
Speaker 5: Yes you are, and aren't you take.
Speaker 2: A seat, Betty Darling. I think Jimmy wants to ask you something.
Speaker 6: Really, Jimmy.
Speaker 4: Yes, you see, Betty, Saturdays your your birthday.
Speaker 2: At such a time, I feel that the time has.
Speaker 4: Come to be the right time for the time.
Speaker 2: What is the time? Ben, ten o'clock?
Speaker 4: Good gracious, No, bets made well? I feel i'd like betches, if you don't mind, Oh you.
Speaker 2: Tell me about Oh, don't be silly, you tell her well, I just want to.
Speaker 4: Tell you I'd like to give you a little present. Oh, Jimmy, chin, she.
Speaker 2: Called catch me a some knocking about. I don't want Betty to know I'm living with an idiot. Why not she knows that I'm living with walls shutter.
Speaker 1: Oh it's mensed off.
Speaker 6: He's rid of you, Jimmy, do you want to give me a present? But but my cousin Roderick pdge Bellows has brought me nearly everything I need.
Speaker 2: Roderick forge Bellows? What that wind bag?
Speaker 6: Oh you mustn't say that, Jimmy. He thinks a lot of me and is the most generous.
Speaker 2: Man I know. Yes, but surely there's something Jimmy could get for you. Betty.
Speaker 6: Well, that's one little thing, but it's much too expensive for Jimmy.
Speaker 2: He name it, just name it, that's all you can have it. I'll show Roderick fordge Bellows he's.
Speaker 4: Not the only man who knows how the treet to girl very well.
Speaker 6: Then I'd like the ring I've seen in the jewelers down the road. It she'll be a Jimmy, I can kiss.
Speaker 2: You for being so sweet.
Speaker 4: Help yourself, lord, Jimmy, where did you.
Speaker 6: Learn to kiss like that?
Speaker 2: Siphoning petrol?
Speaker 6: Well, I'm see him away now. Oh, thank you so much for promising to get me the ring.
Speaker 4: Jimmy, nothing, think nothing of nothing.
Speaker 2: But how shall I know which ring it is? Oh?
Speaker 6: You can't miss it in the middle window and a little velvet case, mark fifty pounds.
Speaker 2: It's along bench, you're help.
Speaker 6: Goodbye, Jimmy sweet sweet boy.
Speaker 2: Oh she called me a sweet sweet boy.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm going to get a ring and it's in the mid the window, and it's mark fifty pounds.
Speaker 3: It's mark fifty pounds.
Speaker 2: Ben what she said the ring with my mama, Mark fifty pounds. So that's what I thought, she said. But I haven't got fifty pounds. I'm gonna faint. Do you want to be caught? Yes? I think that court already. Well, if you don't get the ring for Betty, her cousin Roderick will.
Speaker 4: No, I've just got to get that fifty pounds, even if it means selling everything I possessed him, that would.
Speaker 2: Still leave you forty eight pounds ten shillings shorts. Hello, Maybe that's Betty Beck. Perhaps she left something behind. Foll on the door quickly.
Speaker 4: Then she might have called to say she was only joking about the ring.
Speaker 2: Okay, what's your mate? Oh well, well, well, well birth Defense is seeing you again.
Speaker 4: Yes, where have you been doing all these months?
Speaker 6: Working?
Speaker 5: No? No, no, only MUD's work. I've been doing the old currency lock you know aller on Now, no, no, that's sort of carrants.
Speaker 2: I mean the old doray me. Well this sounds very interested, mister burb. Did you did you do? Well?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yes, I say I did you did?
Speaker 2: First of all, I took me thirty.
Speaker 5: Five pounds in English money over to France. Yes, and I give me forty thousand French proles.
Speaker 2: Go on then, go on? Yes, and I took me frongs.
Speaker 5: I wur to warrant and I gave me ten thousand Dutch guilderies.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 5: He send took the guildess to Russia. Did you They gave me fifty thousand rubles?
Speaker 2: Did they?
Speaker 5: And it's the way only rule pols. You know what they gave me when I got back to England?
Speaker 2: Now what six months? Poor old Berby?
Speaker 5: Oh well, never want my mates. I've got a smashing job. Now you know I'm a smashing job.
Speaker 2: Now got a smashing job. What is it?
Speaker 5: I'm an agent, an agent, it's an agent?
Speaker 2: What a ten percenter?
Speaker 5: That's it? No? No, no, I'm an agent for the elk yourself football pools. I'm just calling around the eyes is to cat some new clients. That what I mean? How about how about you two boys having a besh.
Speaker 2: Oh no, Burpy, I'll never lucky with football pools.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, but listen, mates, only last week with one of my fear nothing for casts a bloke one fifty thousand, fifty thousand pounds, Yes.
Speaker 4: Dear, just think, well I can buy Betty with that man.
Speaker 5: All right, it's all right then someone is here paper. It's the jewel, yes, and I'll fill in your coop and for you.
Speaker 2: Right o, pass me the paper, Berpy, past me a pen, Jimmy it sure, that's fine, that's it.
Speaker 4: Now give me the fifty thousand pounds.
Speaker 5: Well, old mate, old, don't you going to send the coopment in first? What do you What do you want is your bankers?
Speaker 2: Well i'll take barklers and i'll take the middle and i'll be in Scotland before yeah.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no. When you're doing listen now, when you're doing