Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Depictions Media Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Policy and Rights the show US welcomer Policy that Human Joys. Hey, welcome back to Policy and Rights here in Depictions Media. I'm your host, Michael Clogs. And well, let's talk about Aaron and uh, well, okay, let's be honest. I Atolo committee was not the most friendly of leaders. Shall we say that? Yes, he did h rule with the iron fists, and yes he did strip away the rights of women and those who were not Muslim in in Iran. Yeah, he did did do all those things. I do remember when he first came into power and over I guess it was about forty years ago that I remember him taking us hostages. And I do remember those hostages eventually being freed and meeting one or two of those hostages along the way and hearing some of the stories that they had to tell. And while they I totally accused the United States of planting a lot of CIA agents in Iran at the time, and that was the reason why he held them hostage for so long. It was to get them to admit to their crimes against the country. That yes, he did do do all of those things, and yes, Iran probably is better off on the human rights scale without him being there. But I'm going to say this that that is not the reason why Donald Trump and Nyanhu decided to attack Iran and to launch the air strikes that that are going on right now in the Middle East. That is not the reason why they they did all that. The reason why they did all that, and we're we're going to get down to the brass tacks of it all is the fact that Iran is one of those countries that lies outside of the World Bank, which means that their oil supplies are out of the control of the United States and Donald Trump won't have that. There is the reason why he went after Venezuela and capturing their leader. It had nothing at all to do with any type of drugs or the safety of the United States people. It had everything to do with him wanting to control the oil and the price of the oil. As a result, Guitar warned and has since said, that the Middle East oil production has slowed down to a halt. And many of you who are listening to this, either in the United States or Canada, are looking at your car and how much it costs to fill your fuel tank in that car right now because of this war, Unlike when a Vladimir Putin attacked the Ukraine, where many are not saying that it is in illegal action and or that it is a war of aggression. They are not saying any of those things because one it is the United States and Israel, and that they are saying many different things. But we're going to get down to what's happening, what the political standings are in Canada, and what Mark Karney is saying, the direction Canada is going to take at this particular time in regards to the Middle East. In This statement was made in Tokyo by the Prime Minister Mark Karney, as he told Canada he has not received requests from Persian golf states for military aid and don't necessarily anticipate those requests. While concluding his three country tour, the Chief of Defense General Jenny Carrigan said on Thursday, the golf partners may require to fence and support amid the Iran conflict sparked by the United States and Israel airstrikes he initially supported but later questioned for breaching international law, and an Angus repoll found Canadians are divided forty eight forty eight percent opposal and thirty five percent supportive.
Speaker 3: While.
Speaker 2: The loyal Acts were oh sorry. Lloyd Axworthy, former of Foreign Minister and Liberal MP Will Grieves criticized Carney's stance as contradictory of parliament return will return next week and scrutinize the new Democrats plan, and Mark Carney reiterates Canada's priority is protecting and evacuating citizens while talks continue with the golf leaders and mister Carney is wrapping up a ten day three country visit as he seeks to expand markets while downplaying separate talks with the US and Mexico on the United States Mexico Canada agreement review analysis made managing with Donald Trump shapes his approach. So mister Carney is kind of is kind of downplaying, Uh, what is what is happening in the Middle East at the moment. We'll have to sit and see how the government is is going to respond to events that are happening in uh, the Middle East, especially against Iran. But to public opinion, well, the poll is is voicing opposition to the to Canadian involvement or government's current posture. Compared to the thirty five percent who remains supportive. The prominent voices are some action does need to be taken, but public opinion is is something needs needs to UH to be done and to to support what is what is actually happening to Aaron that more needs to more needs to be scrutinized to to hold a and more needs to be scrutinized to hold a solid opinion or a solid stance for Canada to take in the Middle East at this time. So Carnie's kind of sitting on uh A. Politically, he is sitting on between two groups of people who haven't haven't what seem to haven't. Canada has not completely made up its mind as to both politically and publicly as to a stance it should be taken. But Canada in the past has always been in support of well, let's support human rights and let's help ensure that that at Lasta's civilians are kept safe while the fighting is going on, and those evacuations will continue as they try to keep people safe, especially Canadian citizens and who are currently in the Middle East right now, as they keep them safe and bring them home. So why don't we listen to what mister Kearney said at the beginning of those strikes from a few days ago. And we're going to listen to also to what Anita Anon had to say about the Middle East and what is going on over there and what Canada's response could hossibly be.
Speaker 4: Okay, good morning everyone, look forward to taking your questions in a moment, but just in advance, I'd like to address three points in particular. First, the evolving situation in the Middle East. Secondly, I'll touch briefly on our meetings in India, and then finally the work ahead here over the next forty eight hours in Australia. And I would like to maybe observe right at the start already thank Premier, our Prime Minister alban Asi and the Australian people for the warm welcome and affording us so much time for our important discussions. Okay, to turn to the situation in the Middle East, and I'll begin in French. The Canada considered the Lyran come the source principal Dwance, stabilit A, the terror o Mayan Orion, the regime. He say, man datare on assassin a plug the civil Canadian he calls a demon. Sus France at the million person, my orion a ya a prey pluw the vent town, the negotiation fl diplomatic lyran too je bar de mont tele some program nuclear need me that says activity no SMA the Canada such the pill hotwn necessity imperative, the neutraliza said grab men as polemond the Canada is solid There la popular i yen the sa long courage luke conte s regime oppressive, U vision, the d'ute the alarm nuclear ache some regime the continue then pe security international basket the Canada sound active mound on the mond tells kill a song that town passive man levan the mont Telken sweater use a DOCTM set position count recur vascular confleet x u l you note it in out example ale check the lord international margraye. They doesn't need a resolution. They can't say the security the nacion you need lutra emphatic gab the lagon's international and energy atomic a in succession the sanction a the resolution diplomatic lea manas nucleaieren that is uni a israel on algi sons amplique nacion u NI NI consulte les lier e com prie. The Canada only circumstance, who owns some new Metna fast and confleet kiss town rapid a de man nas kiss a grave paul a vis de civil The Canada rare film could be so lie lesdois anternational new condom, no man called de seville a Zanfe structures, Civilla, trabert lemoyan orion new too les party, econ prix list asineer Israel, the respecting, the logage mountain National, the Canada appel and deeses Galard rappids ostidit a pre a contribute, the set objective, the reuss lucion, the set crease nessess it in angagement and father dun solution, politic global, the dialogue diplomatic all for every take, the confree set down a sagraveville in sound it protege, the tot parties, sant gage a true ve des a called Dora or met prolifer, nucleer e les three mis terrorists, the Canada continojas de prividges at the poshevik epi qui partege ceviu in epapti uconfi. Canada has long seen Iran as the principal source of instability and terror in the Middle East. The regime and its proxies have murdered hundreds, including Canadian civilians, and caused untold suffering for millions of people in the Middle East and beyond. Despite more than two decades of negotiations and diplomatic efforts, Iran has not dismantled its nuclear program nor halted its enrichment activities. Canada has long supported the imperative of neutralizing this grave global threat. Canada stands with the Iranian people in their long and courageous struggle against the regime's oppressive rule, which is why we support efforts to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon and to prevent its regime from further threatening international peace and security, because Canada is taking the world as it is, not passively waiting for a world we wish to be. We do, however, take this position with regret because the current conflict is another example of the failure of the international order. Despite decades of UN Security Council resolutions, the tireless work of the International Atomic Energy Agency, and the succession of sanctions and diplomatic frameworks, Iran's nuclear threat remains, and now the United States and Israel have acted without engaging the United Nations or consulting allies, including Canada. So where to from here? With a rapidly spreading conflict and growing threats to civilian life, Canada reaffirms that inner national law binds all belligerents. We condemned the strikes carried out by Iran on civilians and civilian infrastructure across the Middle East, and we implore all parties, including the United States and Israel, to respect the rules of international engagement. Canada calls for a rapid de escalation of hostilities and is prepared to assist in achieving this goal. Resolution of this crisis will require commitment to a broader political solution, and diplomatic engagement is essential to avoid a wider and deeper conflict. Innocent civilians must be protected, and all parties must commit to finding enduring agreements to both nuclear proliferation and terrorist extremism. Canada will pursue this approach with like minded countries and participants in the conflict, and now briefly allow me to return to our work in this region. Du Mumbai, New deli ou je Rencentree Le Premiminies Modi Ensemble, New honou Velent Elison RelA Canada a Land. As outlined in our joint statement, Canada and India are forging a new strategic partnership in energy, in talent, in innovation and artificial intelligence. Foundational to this partnership is the new comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement, which we aim to conclude this year. We're working fast and already seeing strong results. In India, we secured over five billion dollars in commercial agreements, agreements that will deepen cooperation between Canadian and Indian businesses, attract investment into our communities, and help double two way trade over seventy billion dollars by twenty thirty. The Government of India and Camico's two point six billion dollar uranium supply agreement will support India's civil nuclear energy program and our shared commitment to clean, reliable baseload power. We also launched Canada Indian Talent and Innovation Strategy, backed by thirteen educational partnerships between our leading universities. During my visit. In addition to ministerial and official level meetings, there has been more engagement between the Canadian and the Indian governments over the course of less than the past year than in total over the past two decades. This is a reflection of the world we face today and the ambitions of both our nations to build and diversify. Elco nur ju les grand a Vegli Grand PRIs sences montel neu rous serrent the pazz prosch Ceceete mission, key news men on Australis Pele Premier visit Pilatre de Pamierie Canada, non soupi de pui pre de venta, Paul Marque Summont, Ampaul Don Don Canada Lasli giloneo Decipte invites de main O Palomont at Canberra in the coming two days. We will focus on forging new partnerships in investment, defense, security, critical minerals and artificial intelligence. Australia is a natural partner for Canada in these areas and many many more areas that will deliver enormous benefits to both our peoples. I very much look forward to today's meetings with business, to meeting with Prime Minister Albanese and his cabinet tomorrow in Canberra, and now I look forward to your questions. Thank you very much, Thank you, Prime Minister.
Speaker 5: Mamom beginning the question.
Speaker 4: Beckenzi greg Global News.
Speaker 6: Prime Minister, are you confident that the Indian government is no longer involved in extortions, threats and violence in Canada?
Speaker 4: Well, the first thing to say is that our approach to foreign interference, to transnational repression, to extortion, the crime of extortion in all cases is one of vigilance and engagement. Vigilance In terms of tightening the legal framework in Canada, I won't go into all the details. I think you're familiar with the six laws that are still before Parliament and the Senate, which will make a major difference to the powers of sentencing, the bail regime, and tightening our asylum system, tightening our borders, all of which will help address these issues first point. The second element of vigilance, of course, is adequate resources for law enforcement, thousand more RCMP order, a thousand more border service agents, coordination at multiple levels of government, reinforcing resources for our security our various security agencies as well. The third element of vigilance is deploying actively our intelligence services and the highest levels of government being informed on a regular basis in terms of in terms of developments. We've also were in the process structurally of appointing the Foreign Interference Commissioner. We proposed an individual who was the former electoral officer British Columbia. We're consulting with the opposition parties to move forward on that. So all of those are structural. Then it comes to a question of engagement and engagement. To engage, you have to be able to talk to countries, countries where there have been issues, and to raise issues, including at the highest levels, to ensure that the cooperation is there, whether it's extortion or some other form of cross border criminal activity or security risks.
Speaker 7: UH.
Speaker 4: That is what we have done from the moment that we re established a dialogue at the leader level with India, almost immediately we had meetings with our national security advisors. They've been followed up on multiple occasions. We've re established national security cooperation, We've re established defense, we're re establishing defense cooperation and sharing of information. And in the meetings of ministers, including the Foreign Minister UH, these issues have been raised. They've been frank discussions and including in my meetings with Prime Minister Mode, including in Delhi two days ago. Thank you. See Saint kist kis La Post Canada see the de methol vigilance long edge man Oski concern the vigilance, saying John the project, the us man, the projects concern the liberty Christian they they they the sentencing or they claim grab the RONFORCEE, the j r A, the RONFORCEE those agents frontage gill a f On the d j F T cell He uh Osky concern made say necessity, Sufi sence Sir m Town devoir On gage Man, the Governor, the conc the scurity national It's like this, DEPU come on small the relations on land, the Canada, for example, the pusure the they conco the security Nationale uh DVOI, the co operation, the the la defranse, the police e pdvoie, the conversation ut France uh all diminist a lhll the Premier minist the conversation the primum minist modil to two Sellardi Ilia the Joe.
Speaker 1: Yes Media Canada Excu govern Our plant.
Speaker 8: Mill resorts.
Speaker 4: And uh plant I maintain saying Kris do new Vic the governor and or golf can Prix the conversation to the one man miss Olague Premier point dis Man, same question, same christ the LA security, the situation rest the more the situation, the more to uh that while in repert Grande Dechelle, the uh the company n he h uh may out Nibo siki importancy in Jess Glacio the last situation actually don't. Y'll see. Next question Steve.
Speaker 9: Steve Chase with the Globe Mail, I want to ask you about Hearty sing nature h. Are you concerned about the report and the Globe Mail this week that showed the Canadian authorities gathered up evidence showing that Indian officials in their Vancouver consulate were assisting by providing information that helped with the assassination of mister Ninjer.
Speaker 4: And I want to ask you about.
Speaker 9: Your predecessor said there was credible allegations of a link between the Indian government and Canada.
Speaker 4: Do you agree with that assessment? And finally, what are you thinking? Could you the full quotation that you're using, I think you've cut it off.
Speaker 9: Your predecessor, yes, said in that was the comments that there were credible allegations of a link between the government of Canada, a government of India and the death of mister Ninjer.
Speaker 4: Do you agree with that assessment?
Speaker 8: And finally, what is the government doing to hold India accountable? For the death of mister Nijer.
Speaker 4: So all of those questions fall under let me, all those questions fall under the same rubric, which is there is a process underway to this is a criminal procedure. It's a process underway, and my job at this point with respect to that process is to make sure that I do not say anything that prejudices the prospect of justice being served. So in that context, I can't comment on the specific aspect those three aspects of your question, and I hope you'll appreciate that what is important here is that justice is served and that the immense resources that are put in place in order to ensure that justice is served run there of course. Nice thanks Nction.
Speaker 7: Morning, Prime Minister's monthany Taylor National Post. You have outlined what steps Canada is doing to protect citizens from foreign interference and in transnational repression. But a lot of confusion exists, including within your own cabinet, about what Canada thinks India is doing. So I'm hoping that you can clarify in a yes or no way do you agree with your own government official yes or no, who suggested India is no longer actively interfering in Canada's democratic process, and that Indian agents are no longer involved in murders and extortions within Canada.
Speaker 4: Yes or no, Well, I'm not sure that's an exact quote.
Speaker 2: That is what he suggested.
Speaker 4: That's not a quote.
Speaker 6: I can read the quote.
Speaker 4: I think. Well, we can debate whether you had a discussion that was not for quotation. But if you want to read a quote from something that's not for quotation, these are the words I would use in this important I would not use those words, okay first point. Secondly, our approach, as I said in response to the first question, is one of the apologies of the second question, as one of vigilance and engagement, and we have made progress. But regardless of the progress that has been made, one should it is our responsibility to have both aspects. First and foremost, to be vigilant, Okay, vigilant in terms of tightening the laws, vigilant ensuring that we have the right resources at the security level, at the police level, in terms of the coordination, vigilant ensuring that those resources are active, Vigilant in ensuring that we are using all sources of intelligence to direct resources to protect Canadians. And then alongside that, to be engaged with countries so that if there, when, if and when there are issues or even a sense of issues, that we are raising them. Engagement at the level of national security and engagement at the level of defense, engagement at the level of police, engagement at the political level, all of those and if you look at the record, if I may just finish on this of this government in less than a year, six major crime bills, many of which address specifically these issues. Thousands of new resources being put in the RCMP and border security, huge technical resources also being put in place. That's an odd way to put it, but physical resources in terms of surveillance and re engagement, including at the national security level and the political level, so that we can address these issues actually in other words today and perspectively, so that prevention is there as well as redress. Thank you.
Speaker 5: Next question Amigilbeman CTV News. I still have not heard a clear answer as to whether you believe India is still actively involved in foreign interference And if you would not use those words of the government official, will there be consequences for that official.
Speaker 4: There will not be consequences for those official. Look, there are are in terms of vigilance and monitoring which we do actively, on which I receive regular briefings. There are aspects of those briefings that I can share in public, and I'm not going to I'm not going to betray them. I will tell you that there is progress on these issues, and that progress is a product, in my judgment, it's a product of the resources we're putting in. It's a product of the clarity of our position. We will not tolerate foreign interference transnational repression by anyone, and I stress by anyone. There's a wide range of countries who make these efforts from time to time, and we will call it out and we will engage with it in a way that is as effective as possible to protect Canadians. And that's what we're doing.
Speaker 8: Next question Alex Baling All of the Toronto Star.
Speaker 10: In your Davos speech, you said that one of Canada's principles and the principal aspects of our foreign policy is the prohibition of the use of force.
Speaker 8: That's not consistent with the UN Charter.
Speaker 10: Now you're saying, albeit regretfully, we've supported this action despite the lack.
Speaker 8: Of engagement with the United Nations.
Speaker 10: So it seems like there's a potential or it seems like there is a contradiction in those two things.
Speaker 8: So can you explain how we arrive at that position.
Speaker 4: Well, there's a few things, Alex. What I also said in the Davos speech and said today, and this is course, we take the world as it is, not as we wish it to be. We're not going to passively wait for the world as we wish it would be. We would like international law to always in everywhere be respected. Cada's intention, Candida's policy itself, is to always in everywhere respect international law. So that's the first point. Secondly, I will observe and I will take up. I would take up, and it's not fair to your colleagues, but I would take up all the remaining time in this press conference. Times ten. If I went through the serial violations of international law by the Islamic Republic of Iran over decades, over decades, and all the efforts under the international system to contain those using international frameworks and international laws, it is a failure of the international system that this country repeatedly violated international law, terrorized an entire region and through extension, the world, including the murder of Canadians. Let's not forget that repression of women, the murder of fifteen thousand of their citizens within the past few weeks for protest now brings us to the question though, which I think is in your question of the current situation and it's perspective relative to international law. And look, the first thing I'll say it with respect to that, it's for the United States and Israel to make the case and for whether or not that is the case, and it's for others more expert than me, non lawyered, certainly non international lawyer, who are more expert to make that determination. And that said, well, Canada was not asked to participate. You know that we were not informed in advance. We were not asked to participate. Prima facia. It appears that these actions are inconsistent with international law, so we would not have been in a position earlier this week or the weekend. I guess to take a judgment that met our standards. If we had been asked to participate, we weren't. We have made that formal judgment. It's for others to make those judgments. As I said, Alex, we were dealing with the world as it is. So in the contextxt of what's happened, what's been begun. We support the efforts to end the Iranian nuclear program, and it's decades long process, regimes, decade long process of state sponsored terrorism. But we remind the international law binds. It binds, particularly with respect to civilian, civilian and infrastructure, and it binds all parties, should bind all parties. We call for a de escalation. We're prepared to assist in that. Thank you premium see sepool is Israel, the the the fellow prov se los Ludois Antona department point uh clad the Canada not by its the monde passion to the mont luc me uh so don a situation actually sletter Barclayer, Lisa consistent lad and me if if if before her the Canada her pon pon uh don a situation actually well the moon came Camille. He don't suk context uh liser fo daddy lo program nuclear d ran he the capacity, the promot gay let terrorism at travel. See.
Speaker 11: We'll have time for two more questions after this one, j B.
Speaker 1: To ask your CBC News good morning for the minister.
Speaker 4: How are you good? Will take three just so there's not a rebellion behind. That's a good idea.
Speaker 3: What was President trump reaction to you awarding the airstrikesn.
Speaker 4: I Ran I haven't spoken to the President.
Speaker 12: What does that say about your relationship President?
Speaker 4: I don't think it says anything, to be honest, Americans, Look, we take a position. Just let me just make a clear point. We took a position not asking for something. We took a position because we view the nuclear threat and the export of terrorism of Iran over decades as one of the gravest threats to international peace and security, and the Americans in the Israeli haven't taken this action in that limited sense. We supported that aspect. That is not a blank check. That is not us participating, That is not us asking for something in exchange for that. None of that is true. That is just a straight up position. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Next question, Prime Minister Brian Plat from Bloomberg the what we know so far as the Iran Supreme Leader has been killed, many other senior officials have been killed. Do you have a position on what replaces that in Iran? What kind of regime comes next? Do you want to see a wholesale regime change here or stability more important?
Speaker 4: Well, look, we have long wanted for decades and continue to this hour, that the will of the Iranian people is respected and that a government consistent with the will of the Iranian people comes in place. How that would come about, I don't have I mean, it's an exceptionally complex situation. I'm not inserting a warring into conflict that others started.
Speaker 5: Catherine too, Hello, Prime Minister, thank you for your time.
Speaker 13: I wonder if you can just help us better understand Canada's position about what is happening at this moment.
Speaker 1: There's been a call for a ceasefire. We heard from your ministers.
Speaker 13: Is Canada explicitly asking the United States and Israel to stop as well, making those cases to their officials, and also the United States has made a call for the people of the on to rise up. What is Canada's position on.
Speaker 4: The well, I'll just refer to my answer to the previous question on the second and with respect to the first, any cessation of hostilities, you call it a ceasefire or cessation of hostilities, full de escalation. It takes all sides in order to do that, As I said in my comments in our judgment, that will take a broader diplomatic effort that broader diplomatic effort will very much have to involve the countries in the Middle East that have been attacked now by Iran, their civilian infrastructure, their civilians have been attacked, and certainly that has been They've been successful largely in defending themselves. Some of the missiles have gotten through, but the intent has been widespread civilian casualties and damage to civilian infrastructure to those countries, many of whom are our close allies of Canada, need to be involved in any amatic solution, thank you New York Times.
Speaker 12: Has Canada seen any evidence of the imminent danger the president cited for launching the attack on the weekend, and should anyone take any confidence in his view that this will be over in a matter of weeks?
Speaker 4: Well, I, you know, I I'm on intelligence. I can't share intelligence that we've received. It's not appropriate, particularly within broader intelligence circles that we may have received from others. So I can't comment on that aspect.
Speaker 12: I've got one last question, and the and the and the timing the president's you know, president's forecast that this will all be done in a matter of weeks.
Speaker 4: I won't speculate on it. I what I would say is that in our view that the efforts should begin now to de escalate the situation. And and Ian, as I reference to my previous answer, that needs to involve broader parties than just the United States, Israel and Arrant. We'll do a last question to Elia Eliot couldn't have financial times. Do you see this war as a war of choice or a war of necessity?
Speaker 12: In particular, we had the President saying that the nuclear program was obliterated early this year.
Speaker 8: Now you're saying it was an imminent threat.
Speaker 4: So we're trying to I wasn't saying I didn't say a minute threat. Well, is it a threat or it wasn't a threat? Iran having a nuclear bomb is a massive threat. It would be the biggest threat. This is again, okay, let's be realistic. This is a regime that is the biggest exporter of terror in the world, that has four decades terrorized the Middle East, that is killed scores of Canadians, murdered scores of Canadians, tens of thousands of its own citizens, repressed women in its It has sought persistently and you will remember the JCPOA and all other efforts is sought persistently to obtain nuclear weapons. Nobody has a civil nuclear program that's buried a mile beneath the desert, So that is a threat. The exact timing of it, exact aspect of it. I'm not privy to all the information in terms of that. I would remind Elia that Canada was not consulted on these hostilities. We're not part of it. We're taking things from the position that they are today with the actual end in terms of the desirability of eliminating that nuclear threat and the capacity and exports state terror that we support. But we remind all the belligerents of their responsibilities tex civilians to protect civilian infrastructure, not target civilian infrastructure, and we call for de escalation of the conflict.
Speaker 14: Thanks for being here today, everyone, Banjouis to Lemon. I'd like to begin by expressing my sincere gratitude to our Global Affairs team at the Emergency Watch Response Center the eWRC. Here they have been working around the clock to help Canadians in the region, providing information to keep them safe. These are difficult times, these are volatile times, yet the eWRC team shows up every crisis with dedication. So thank you so much for your tireless work. Je the commancee perre merquill s Sermont, notre aced ferment dial Canada or santre de seriance, danta.
Speaker 15: Version entrave jour renui poor de les Canadian, don la regio l four le fromacion, don nus dispossan pur le garde and securite nevercribucu.
Speaker 14: Of the one hundred and six thousand Canadians in the region, two thousand and thirty fives have contacted Global Affairs Camp for assistance with egress. I want to speak directly now to Canadians in the Middle East Golf region. Your government is with you, We are working hard for you, and we are arranging off for you to leave the region. I'm here today to explain what those are. Your safety and your well being are our top priority. Our government has developed options for Canadians seeking to leave the region. These options are threefold. One a limited number of chartered flights. Two block booking of seats on commercial flights. Three ground transportations certain cases where it is safe. This morning for them consured that seventy five people departed from Beirute on a commercial flight with seats that we reserved. Another two hundred seats happened over the next three days. Four people who wish to leave Beirute. As you can see behind me. More than one hundred thousand people across fifteen affected countries have registered with Global Affairs in order to receive the most up to date information pertaining to the country they are in. S Matin, Pare Fantis, Was sant Cans, Canadian on p i Quite Bereut, Sirrinvois, commercial Avect, Siege Reserve, Pa lu Gudar Mont Pole, Canadian Umaultre de sansierge on Ete Reserve, Poor Letrois Pochin Jour. As of this morning, more than two thousand people requited the government assistance to leave the region. We send information about assistance being offered two registered Canadians directly. I will now summarize the government's response in the five countries with the most request for assistance from Canadians, comprising almost eighty cent of all requests. The countries are United Arab Emirates, Cutter, Lebanon, Israel, and Iran, starting first with the UAE. For the UAE, as of this morning, eleven hundred and seventy one Canadians have requested assistance in leaving out of a total of nearly thirty thousand registered Canadians in the UAE. Airspace in the UAE is only partially open and limited commercial flights are available. This afternoon, I directed my officials to enter into contracts to charter flight four Canadians. This charter is contingent upon receipting the necessary approval from to use their airspace, which we have all read requested and I personally am involved in these requests at a diplomatic level. Flights will be available on a cost recovery basis to Canadians and the number of flights will be to demand. Moving now to block bookings, we are also working with the airlines to block book seats on commercial flights that would be reserved for Canadians to confirm and book themselves, lev the cool Coup and Enlon.
Speaker 1: La Germans.
Speaker 2: To le.
Speaker 14: Moving now to the third type of arrangements that we are putting into place, land transportation. The same time, we are engaging land transportation options to bring Canadians to neighboring airports offering more commercial options. Moving now to Cutter In Cutter two hundred and thirty seven, Canadians have requested assistance in leaving out of nine thousand, three hundred and forty two registered Canadians. Airspace in Cutter is closed and there are currently no options to fly in or out. Cutter. Airlines is arranging bus transportation for two hundred Canadians with existing tickets to an airport in Saudi Arabia for a flight out from there. We are engaging ground transportation for other Canadians also wishing to leave quickly. I do want to point out that any ground transportation carries risk transport Canadian quits utrois de place monarre comparte de risk, and that such a hotel while missiles are flying overhead is terrifying. It is, however, often the safer option. While we have no indication of roads being targeted by Iranian missiles, when they are intercepted overhead, debris can fall on the road below. Canadians should, no matter which country they are in, only travel when it is safe to do so and follow local vice.
Speaker 1: Turning now to Lebanon.
Speaker 14: In Lebanon, approximately one hundred and sixty four Canadians have asked for assistants in departing out of over twenty three thousand people who have registered with our Rocca system. As mentioned, seventy fuck people were on a commercial flight this morning using seats that were set aside for Canadians to reserve themselves. Two hundred more such seats are available over the course of the next three days. Turning now to Israel, ninety three Canadians have requested assistance in departing out of over six thousand Canadians who have registered with our ROCCA system. Airspace there remains closed and flights are not an option for the moment. The government of Israel is operating a bus service to Egypt where passengers can arrange onwards travel to airports that are open.
Speaker 1: And operating normally.
Speaker 14: This service is working well and Canadians are being permitted with the details so that they can avail themselves of it. Laspasgen de mar fermee poortles moment a le val nous san pasin of Sion, the gubin land dirayel of service do tobus veres ligette a les passage pere organize la suit the la voyage verdes aeropas quissot uvar a function nomal man.
Speaker 1: Turning now and tATu iran Of.
Speaker 14: The almost three thousand Canadians in Iran who have registered, seventy four have requested assistance in leaving. Unfortunately, we have no ability to arrange ground transportation in Iran as we do not have diplomatic relations with Iran and we have declared they are g as a terrorists entity under Canadian law. We have, however, stationed additional consular officials in neighboring countries Armenia, Azerbaijan, Irial Jordan, Turkia and Turkmenistan who can meet Canadians who cross the border and assist them with visa requirement and with arranging onward travel. Please only attempt to drive to the border when it is safe to do so. The situation throughout the region remains volatile and unpredictable. That is, we have a team here at DHAK working twenty four to seven to provide updates to Canadians who.
Speaker 1: Have resked with our ROCUS system.
Speaker 14: We strongly encourage Canadians abroad to continue registering with system to receive mission rapidly. Lasita lajh De stables a fluid in keep ec Canada, keepravai Van Capre Survan Capres.
Speaker 1: Contact the twenties see.
Speaker 14: Watch and Response Center at six one three ninety nine six eight eight eight five or so OS at International dot GC dot ca A. I also remained in close contact with my parts across the Middle East, the Gulf Region and our partners in the G seven to help advance diplomatic efforts aimed at de escalation and stability. About two hours ago, I concluded a call with in the United Kingdom, for example Pole, where we discuss the current situation, the necessary response, and most importantly, how to co op to ensure that we will work together at ours.
Speaker 1: Terms.
Speaker 14: Specifically, we have agreed to assist one another in terms of extending access capacity on our respective travel arrangements to citizens of our countries. We will continue to provide updates as the situation evolves.
Speaker 1: Thank you Mercy miglet.
Speaker 11: Hi everyone, if you can please see your name and outlet.
Speaker 16: We've got time will be one question, one follow up. We'll start with the folks in the room.
Speaker 4: Number of people online.
Speaker 1: Thank you, the Charter, kill A Son Pravis.
Speaker 14: New Fas Killiave, the ball cy a O, the Avoir Level Concern don A Prussian jup pre sus le contra dub at place a Travai madnock new persant on Manton ultra poor leo avetle, blocked bookings, donk Ilia desirad se a se ilias.
Speaker 1: If you can, if you can just repeat.
Speaker 14: The key upshot of this update is that we have three specific options that we are sourcing for Canadians. One is chartered flights, two is blocked bookings. Three is land transportation. The availability of those options will largely depend on the particular country, for example, if airspace is open or not, and for example, if we are able to travel or advise travel over land. And so oh I provided details as to how we are proceeding in each specific country you mentioned the UAE and in that particular country.
Speaker 4: M M.
Speaker 7: M h.
Speaker 14: Nadian a prosian mass cilia de le par example the ktar la rabi Saudi saba atron o o see measure with pressler la situation a prevalatil a pre fluid sabadi a quilla de michele this attack, don't let's pass arian, don't notre conseil a present port a sacellle massage parnatro system courial par example, the two ski on Registria that natro system meju votre continue the the missa come chaur petre sieur Lamedia sociale whu on Tarsan may No travagant van catre parcett jour, parson man Sursa, pascue present portant paul Canadian Canadian scela resin paula care tourney e c O Canada spasa that Premier Minisola and Arali Pascal Andoira E. C. Donalds and Frantre c Vaca le necessity, le necessity Canadian Canadians.
Speaker 16: See duty turning with TTV News most h non. You mentioned that Canada is working with other countries trying to coordinate. Can you give me a sense of how that works? Is it will other countries free up seats, will we free up seats? And we hear that other nations are able to get their citizens out of Oman, but we are not.
Speaker 1: Able to do so.
Speaker 2: Why is that so right now?
Speaker 14: In answer to the first part of your question, my specific conversations with the Foreign ministers of Australia and the United Kingdom are based on this reciprocal offer that we have to each other to assist citizens with travel arrangements. If there are space, there is space on their flights or their other forms of transportation. And this, in fact is reciprocal work that we put in place routinely with other like minded countries and is quite commonplace.
Speaker 1: So, in other words, the.
Speaker 14: Way it works is if they're a space on their planes and their Canadians who want to leave the region, then they will offer that spit up and we will do the same. So, for example, in the flight that we had blocked book today leaving from Beirut, we blocked book seventy five seats for Canadians. Not all of them were filled by Canadians because we didn't have the full compliment who wanted to leave at the time, and so we were able to offer those seats up. And those countries are doing the exact same thing with us.
Speaker 16: You mentioned that it is safer in a hotel than on the roads, and that you have not had any indication that the Iranians are bombing roads. Do you have any assurances from the US or Israel that they are also not bombing roads, in particular since in Iran many people are trying to flee via cars.
Speaker 1: To be clear, the.
Speaker 14: Situation is volatile and unpredictable, and the assurances that you're referring to in your question are not ones that we are utilizing to guide any of this advice. The advice is to register with the ROCCA system so that we can tailor the advice to the particular country in which Canadians are finding themselves. This situation is changing by the hour. It's extremely volatile and as you can see from the map behind me, it covers a vast geographical region. And so again, sheltering in place is the general advice across the board, and if Canadians wish to leave, we are putting in place options for them to do so, and those options are tailored to the particular country and are based to some extent on whether that country has open air space by which flights can lead the region.
Speaker 1: Thank you him, Minister Jillian Piper with Global News.
Speaker 17: You mentioned that the government book seventy five seats blocked them off, but they weren't all filled by Canadians. How many of those seats were filled by Canadians.
Speaker 14: I'll have to get back to you the exact number. The vast majority of those were taken by Canadians. As I said, in Lebanon itself, we have had a number of Canadians indicating that they do want to leave the region.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to get the numbers for you.
Speaker 14: Again in terms of In terms of Lebanon, so one hundred and sixty four Canadians have asked for assistance in departing. Out of twenty three thousand, seven hundred and twenty eight people who have registered with our ROCA system in Lebanon, seventy five people were on a commercial flight. Most of those people were Canadians. Two hundred more seats are available over the course of the next three days. In other words, we are making sure that all Canadians who wish to leave have an option to do so, and can do so on a car cost recovery basis.
Speaker 17: Do you have any assurances from allies that airspace will remain open in countries where you're considering charter flights or where you're considering booking a block seats.
Speaker 14: So, as I said, the situation is volatile and is changing by the hour, And in some countries the airspace is open, in others it is partially open, and still others it is fully closed. And so our ROCA system is tailoring the advice to the particular viability of the airspace in the country under discussion. Again, this underlines the importance of the ROCA system and registering. We've seen an increase in our ROCA numbers, the reason being that the advice is tailored to specific countries and is changing.
Speaker 1: Frequently.
Speaker 6: Good Evening, Minister Sam Forster, Canadian Affairs. On February twentieth, your Parliamentary Secretary Rob Oliphant stated, and I'll quote Minister and end has been very clear that we do not support an American strike, very clear, and that is the Canadian position. We do not believe in non un sanctioned military action.
Speaker 2: We don't do that.
Speaker 6: On February twenty eighth, the day that this military incursion began, Prime Minister Kearney released a statement broadly in support of the strikes. Was mister Oliphant correct on February twentieth when he made those remarks, and if so, how do you explain that reverse?
Speaker 14: I was not aware that he made those remarks, And our position was confirmed by Prime Minister Carney in his remarks yesterday from Australia, as well as in the statement that he issued on Saturday and again yesterday.
Speaker 6: When was the last time you spoke with Secretary of State Marco Rubio and can you share anything about those conversations.
Speaker 2: I was in Mumbai.
Speaker 1: It was three thirty a m Mumbai time.
Speaker 14: A G seven phone call occurred and Secretary of Rubio and my other G seven counterparts were on the line.
Speaker 1: That faces Marco Rubio sete Mumbai.
Speaker 11: Last question, Sorry less Paci with the UH. There are Canadians in the Middle East who are desperate for Canada to be doing more. Your official say that it's it's more efficient to use commercial options, but our allies are setting chartered claims. Why can they do this?
Speaker 14: But actually I don't accept the frame of your question at all. We have two thousand and thirty five Canadians who have requested assistance out of one hundred and six thousand Canadians who have registered. In each of the countries in which Canadians are requesting help, we are providing chartered flights, block booking of seats on commercial airlines, or exploring land transportation. We've been at this four days to ensure that we have options in place for Canadians. We are also working with our allies to ensure that there's this reciprocal arrangement between countries. In addition, I have been working with a number of my counterparts it's in Middle East and Gulf countries to ensure that if Canadians wish to transfer over land, that our Surge officials from Global Affairs who are in place in those countries will be able to assist with the land crossings life in Turkmenistan and al Zarbaijan and Armenia and TURKEYA and I've spoken with each of the foreign ministers in those countries to ensure that they will allow our GAK officials to be in country and to help Canadians. Finally, in addition to the first two items I mentioned flights chartered in block bookings as well as land transportation, ensuring assistance at borders by having Surged GHAK support in place, I will also point to my continued conversations with my counterparts in the Gulf region in the Middle East, where I am specifically requesting that Canadians can lead their countries by any means possible. I spoke with the Foreign Minister of Oman, for example, yesterday regarding Oman airspace. I've also been in contact with my counterpart from the UAE on the same question. So the key point, and the summary of my answer is that we have a number of avenues that we are working hard to ensure that those two thousand and thirty five Canadians can indeed leave the region.
Speaker 1: Thank you for your question.
Speaker 18: I convinced of my sons that there were colors in the world back when I was yet and though everything was black and white, wrong was wrong and right was right.
Speaker 19: It was about that time I finally realized maybe my son was wrapped. Though old damn time, most of us were one. In a clearer time, yeah, things were block showread Depictions Media.
Speaker 2: Please contact us at depictions dot media for more information.