Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is sponsored by LA Care Health Plan, providing affordable healthcare insurance to millions of Angelinos for over twenty five years. And now your voice for Dodger Talking like that, David Basse.
Speaker 2: We are live at Dodgers Stadium after the Dodgers defeat the race by a final score of three to one and take two out of three from Tampa Bay as they continue this All American League homestand welcome the Dodger Talk. David Vase say with you at eight six six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy. We will hear from Gavin Stone, we will hear from Key k Hernandez.
Speaker 3: We will hear from Hunter Faducca.
Speaker 2: But first I want to keep you updated on what's going on in the standings. The Dodgers continue to fight off the Diamondbacks and padres the Pie. The Diamondbacks today swept the Boston Red Sox, were down four to nothing early and they came back to win the game. So the Diamondbacks remained three games back of the Dodgers and just now in San Diego.
Speaker 3: This took place two to oh.
Speaker 4: Pitch from Diaz Jackson swings hats it in the air, deep the right field.
Speaker 3: He has done it again. Unbelievable.
Speaker 4: Jackson Merrill with his second walk off home run of the year, and the Padres come all the way back and beat the Mets three to two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that just took place about three minutes ago. On the Padres Radio network, Jesse Agler and the great Tony Gwyn Junior on the call. Jackson Merrill, who has a very strong case to be the National League Rookie of the Year, walks it off for San Diego against j. D.
Speaker 3: Martinez and the Mets.
Speaker 2: So San Diego is fourn and a half games back of the Dodgers in the NL West. The Diamondbacks three games back, winning six in a row now, and the Dodgers are winning at a very high clip themselves. But these two teams are just not going away. And it just seems like next week's four game series between the Dodgers and Diamondbacks is certainly going to set the tone down the stretch of the season. Eight six, six, nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. All right, Let's get to Gavin Stone. Where would the Dodgers be without Gavin Stone?
Speaker 3: This season?
Speaker 2: Yoshi Yamamoto has had an injury plague season. He hasn't pitched in a few months. Tyler Glass now has been on and off the IL a couple of different times. When he's out there, he's fantastic, but he's on the IL and he's not going to pitch against the Diamondbacks next weekend.
Speaker 3: Neither is Yamamoto.
Speaker 2: But Gavin Stone think of about his season coming into spring training, Nobody was talking about Gavin Stone, and then all of a sudden there was some buzz on the backfields that you know what, he may be in competition with Emi Sheen to win the fifth spot in the rotation. But trust me, if Emmi Sheen was healthy, Gavin Stone would not have been on the opening day roster. Instead, she and got hurt in the middle of spring training eventually would have to have Tommy John surgery. Gavin Stone makes the Dodgers opening day roster and he hasn't looked back. Twenty four starts, including today, one hundred and thirty five and a third innings including today, a record of eleven and five with an ERA of three point thirty three. After going seven innings and allowing just a solo home run to his former teammate, Johnny de Luca. Gavin Stone has been the anchor of this staff only because not only has he been out there every fifth or sixth day, but he also has been really good. And I know, you know, he had a two or three start stretch there where he wasn't as good as he's been all season long. But people act like he's a five or six year veteran that he's expected to be great every single time out there. And I know he has that expectation, but the reality is he's pitching more innings than he ever has in his professional career and here he is bouncing back. Not to mention, he has a complete game shutout this season. So I think we all need to take some inventory and some perspective on what Gavin Stone is doing for the Dodgers. I mean, without him, how many guys have been healthy from start to finish?
Speaker 3: Not much?
Speaker 2: Eight six, six, nine, eight, seven, two, five seventy. Let's go downstairs to the Dodger Clubhouse to hear the from the anchor of the staff. Rookie right hander Gavin Stone.
Speaker 5: Just mixing aus three fastball, find the right times for certain pitches, and Fetti did a good job calling the game gotten to throw out to him a lot, you know, in the minors, and so for him to get it, come up here and share that moment with him was awesome.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Well, I mean just when you think about the time you guys have spend, whether it's with Oka, see time during spring training, how special is it to be able to share this and also to have a really impressive performance of each other.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's awesome. He's one of my best friends in this organization, has been for a while, so you know, just to just to be a part of his special days is pretty cool.
Speaker 8: Two questions, what's your maturity been like when you give up a big hit like you gave up to the home run to de Luca to resettle in and refocus and also obviously you know DeLuca pretty well.
Speaker 3: Only one question your thoughts on him getting you on that at bat.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he put a good swing on it. I just throw it over the plate and he put a good swing on it. That's it. But yeah, just after you give up a home run like that, you just got to refocus and get back on.
Speaker 3: His own.
Speaker 6: Heel. You probably it was a second win a little bit this season, just sort of relying I know you sort of talk about anger mechanics back in line with the last three have obviously been.
Speaker 3: A lot better than the month before that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I think that's just credit to Mark and the guys that we have around the clubhouse. They do a great job with video and stuff and seeing certain things and so you know, trusting them and my delivery and fine tuning just things throughout the season. It's been a big help.
Speaker 2: There is Gavin Stone on sports Net LA, and uh, obviously a guy that is still humble and hungry, as the great Jim Harbaugh would say down there in El Segundo with the Chargers. So Gavin Stone, despite not getting the win pitch well enough to allow the Dodgers to win this game today, they did it with two home runs, a solo shot by keik A Hernandez in the fifth inning and a go ahead two run home run by Mookie Betts after show. Hao Tani was hit on the left left wrist forearm area X race came back negative. By the way, Otani should be okay. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Like I said, I think we all should understand how much Gavin Stone has meant to this team, and what an unexpected revelation he has been this year. As far as getting this opportunity, obviously he would have got it at some point in time in the season with all the injuries to their rotation, but from start to finish, Gavin Stone has been the most reliable Dodger starter this year with an eleven and five record, has the most starts of any Dodger starter twenty four, and he is right behind or now has passed Tyler Glass Now for the most innings pitched this season with one hundred and thirty five eight six, six eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 3: Let's go out to Mark in Monrovia. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 9: How you doing, Mark, I'm fantastic, Happy Sunday, Happy Dodger win.
Speaker 3: Felis Domingo. Mark, thank you so much.
Speaker 9: You're awesome. I was wondering why Jason Hayward got df baide and I was talking to a friend of mine, big Dodger fan, and he was like, they'll be right back once they spend the roster for the playoffs, They'll be right back. Pa has They're coming right back.
Speaker 2: Right Hayward is not coming back. Mark, whenever a team tweets out an official thank you to that player. Once you're let go, I feel like the door is closed on him coming back. And just talking to Andrew Freeman and Brandon Gomes and just understanding the roster. They they made this decision because they did not have a spot for him.
Speaker 3: He's not coming back.
Speaker 9: Let me talk to you about tagging up from first base.
Speaker 3: I was, how does that relate today? Does that relate to today?
Speaker 9: Watching the game today? And I forget who was on second, but the cat I think it was Mookie to tag up the third and there was somebody on perst and I was, I didn't like I said, I didn't see the angle of where the ball was hitting everything. But it's not illegal to tag up from first.
Speaker 3: Right, it's not.
Speaker 2: And it was Freddy Freeman that was at first base, so he obviously just didn't feel it was a strong throw and he probably wasn't going to make it, so he and Freddy's one of the best base runners instincts wise, there is on the team. So yeah, that was not a spot for him to go from first to second, but from a fly ball to right field a lot harder of a throw to get a runner like Mookie Betts going second to third.
Speaker 9: I appreciate your time, David, have a great afternoon.
Speaker 2: Hey, Mark, thank you so much. I'm smart. I can answer baseball questions like that. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. A side note as it selfishly relates to me and Gavin Stone. I got Gavin Stone in in a fantasy football league that was started by Adrian Gonzalez and Justin Turner six or seven years ago. It's turned into a bigger league, and we had somebody dropped out because they don't have the heart to be in the same fantasy league as I am, so there was an extra spot. I got Gavin Stone in the league, who fancies himself as a very good fantasy football player, so his confidence is going to be riding high at eight o'clock tonight when we draft our fantasy football team. So I better watch out for Gavin Stone, who's feeling good after a start like today. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Rays three to one. Let's go out to Claremont. Daniel, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 10: Hi, Daniel, Hey Dave, thanks for getting me on. You know, boy, you're sure all right about Gavin Stone. You know where would this team be without him? All those inningencies put up this year, and he's coming back around looking like he was early in the season. And yeah, I hope he makes it really tough for them to keep him off the playoff roster or keep him out the starting in rotation off the playoff roster.
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: This guy might be one of the first two starters in the playoffs playoffs.
Speaker 11: He just might be.
Speaker 10: If he's pitching like this, he just might be. You wouldn't be too surprised if you saw him there. And I also wanted to say, hey, don't forget about Mookie Betts.
Speaker 9: You know, as deep as.
Speaker 10: This team is, you know, it's almost crazy to think that he could be forgotten.
Speaker 9: But this guy does it all.
Speaker 10: He plays all over the field, he's good on the bass pass, he's a leader, and he comes up with big hits man and he's going to be the difference. When Luky Betts plays well, this team wins. And it's really great to see how well he've been playing in the last few weeks. I just hope they keep it up. I am a little concerned about the finger. You know, what's going on with Freddy there? Do we have any insight? But I don't know if he's got a hit since the whole finger incident happened.
Speaker 9: Other than that he.
Speaker 2: Hasn't had a hit since Jason Hayward was designated for assignment. But that's a different story, all right. Thank you for the phone call, Daniel. Eight six six seven seventy is the phone number. I don't know what's going on with Freddy, but he did not look like himself during this three game series at the plate against the Rays. But it happens sometimes even the great ones go through a mini slump. What makes them great is that they don't extend it thirty at bats. They minimize those slumps. And Freddie's definitely a feel hitter, like most guys are. And if you don't have the feel in the batter's box, as Eric Carross once explained to me on a bus right from the stadium to the airport, it's a lonely feeling because you never know when you're going to step in that batter's box and get that feel again. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number, and nobody has forgotten about Mookie Batts. He has been hitting at a three point fifty clip with runners in scoring position, and Otani was not in scoring position, but he came up with the biggest hit of the game, go ahead, two run home run in the eighth inning to give the Dodgers a three to one win. To be set up for all that, key K a Hernandez helped him out as well. He tied or gave the Dodgers an early one nothing lead in the fifth inning with a home run to lead it off, and also in the top of the fifth inning, he made a big time catch in center field. Only his Keyk a Hernandez got his first start in center field for the first time since Jackie Robinson Day April fifteenth, was the last time key K a Hernandez got a start in center field. It's only his sixth start of the year out there in center after playing the majority of the year and especially the last three or four months at third base. So for him to make a run saving catch off of Ben Jorvitt that was a huge play. The fifth inning belonged to key a Hernandez and he's on sports and at LA.
Speaker 12: So going into the game, obviously those are late pitching change for them because Shane Vass got sick, so you know that not a lot of information. And on on Lopez, he threw the ball really well. Uh, he's got a really funky throw. So the first of bat it was, you know, trying to get as much informations as I could, and luckily for me, he threw me every pitch, so I kind of had an idea of where pitches needed to start and things like that. So second of bat, I kind of leading off that inning, coming off Sony short inning, I was trying to come out aggressive. He gave me a good pitch of first pitch, fall it off and then either me ball and you know, he kind of gave me the same pitch but a little little bit higher, so a little better to hit. And you know I was on time and I was able to, you know, put the barrel to the ball.
Speaker 7: My birthday was yesterday. It just so happened also to be Kobe Bryant's birthday. We know why you were number eight in this uniform. Now it was Kobe bryant Jersey day. His family was here. How special was it just to have a performance like today and have that moment in front of them.
Speaker 12: I mean it was great. Of course, hit a homer two days ago on his birthday and didn't get in the game last night at MoMA Day, but you know, to do it in front of the Brian family here today pretty special. And you know, when these days are happening and I'm were a number eight, I feel like not a lot of bad things can not A lot of things can go wrong, so uh, you know I I was able to You know, I'll just enjoy the moment and put a good swin number.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: There is Keiky Hernandez number eight for the Dodgers, coming up big in the fifth inning with a great catch in center field and also a solo home run to give the Dodgers an early one nothing lead in the bottom half of that inning. Eight six, six, nine, seven, two five seventy is the phone number. We have two lines open. Like I say, Dodger win day. If you have not been able to get in before. Win days are usually the best days. Because last night the sky was swallowing, the ceiling was coming in, and that was the most horrible loss the Dodgers have had all season long, but then today they come back and get a great starting pitching performance from Gavin Stone seven innings, seven strikeouts, a solo home run allowed to Johnny DeLuca, and the Dodgers get the win and maintain their lead in the NLST over the Arizona Diamondbacks and San Diego Padres, who both won coming from behind, the Padres coming from behind being down to nothing late, the Diamondbacks coming back from a four to nothing early deficit at Fenway Park to beat the Red Sox and sweep that series out there in Boston. So for the Dodgers, those two teams are not going anywhere. It feels like they're going to be there until the final week of the season. And I cannot understate, I can't overstate the importance of that game, those those four games in Arizona coming up next week, that's going to be a big four game series in the Desert between the Dodgers and Diamondbacks. And with Arizona, Arizona only down three games, I don't see them going back down further by the time the Dodgers get there. It's going to be a huge four games swings series between the Dodgers and d Backs, and it feels like a lot of times when the Dodgers are at Chase Field, it becomes a Dodger home game. So they would welcome the support from all the Dodger fans on Labor Day weekend. Now, I mentioned last night we had a full border calls where it was the worst loss of the season, one of the worst losses of the year. I'm not gonna say it was a good loss. No loss is good, but some are more digestible than others, and that was a disappointing loss last night. But we had calls about why Kopek and the eighth, Why Phillips in the ninth, Why was Joe Kelly in there in the tenth? Well, let's start from the tenth inning back number one. It's pretty evident Dave Roberts is trying to give Daniel Hudson a few extra days here to regroup because the strikeout rate is down to about seven percent. He hasn't been as sharp as we have seen him all year long. He's thirty six years old. The Dodgers need him to be fresh for the stretch run. So if there was any time that Dave Roberts was going to use Daniel Hudson. It wasn't last night in the tenth inning, it was going to be today in the ninth inning, in.
Speaker 3: A safe situation.
Speaker 2: Instead, he stayed away from him, and he wanted to stay away from him last night. But with Kelly in a little bit of trouble, he had to get somebody up, and unfortunately that was Daniel Hudson. Now, as far as why Dave Roberts chose Kopek in the eighth and Evan Phillips in the ninth, the groupings of hitters in the eighth, yes, bottom of the order, but Kopek has been much better with facing left handers, and Dave Roberts was expecting Kevin Cash to pinch hit for one of his writings with a left handed hitter. They did not, So it worked out, I guess in Kopek's favor. Even though he still was not as sharp on back to back days loading the bases, he got out of it by only giving up one run. Now, my argument last night was all of you that wanted Copek in the ninth, well he couldn't even get out of the eighth and facing the bottom of the order clean, So why would you argue that he would have done better in the ninth against the heart of the order pitching on back to back days. And that's the reason why Evan Phillips was out there in the ninth facing all right handed hitters because he has not been as effective against lefties recently. So there you have it from Dave Roberts and me giving my editorial to the information he gave me. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Rays three to one. Let's go out to Marco in Ocean Side. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 11: Marco, Hey, Daves, take of the take of my call. She's wanted to give it to say again, big shout out to Gavin on his wonderful performance tonight. Great to see first time seem in person. I love to see it, and also want to give a big shout out to the rookie catcher. I think it was a Fadua.
Speaker 2: You better know that name. Put some respect on that name, Hunter Fiducia.
Speaker 11: Absolutely, we'll do. Wonderful performance. You know, for being a rookie would know the difference. Great performance tonight. The last thing, Dave, I love what the Dodgers do here with the the Bryant family, wonderful moment, what to do and to show the respect there with everyone. I saw plenty of wet, wet eyes today. You know, lots of lots of tears today. Kobe's dear to everyone's heard. So I love what very class back, what the Dodgers do, and it's always.
Speaker 2: Good to celebrate Kobe. Marco, for sure, I know how much he means to the city. The Dodgers understand how much he means to the city, and honestly, Marco Uh. The image I will have of Kobe Bryant at Dodgers Stadium was when Yasiel Puig hit that Grand Slam in the seventh thing of Game three or Game four of the twenty eighteen World Series, and Kobe sitting behind home plate with Vanessa and the kids raising his hands and victory and Puig looking back at him. Because Puigue loved Kobe as much as all of you guys, and he wanted his validation and approval as badly as anybody else. And to me, that's the lasting image of Kobe at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 11: Absolutely, Dave, I appreciate you sharing that great game today.
Speaker 3: All right, Marco, thanks for the phone call. Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Rays three to one, and he mentioned Hunter Fiducca, who made us major first ever Major league start, catching Gavin Stone today. He did a great job. And Gavin Stone's saying there, they are really tight. One of the closest friends he has in the organization is catcher Hunter Fiducca. And we had a chance to catch up with the rookie catcher after his first major league start, and it was Gavin Stone Hunter Fiducca day and Gavin Stone through a great game seven innings and his old buddy Hunter Fiducca making his first major league start.
Speaker 3: Today caught him.
Speaker 2: What was it like today to experience just how great Gavin Stone has been, not only today.
Speaker 3: But all year.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was awesome. He threw a hell of a game. It was fun working with him. Atmosphere was unbelievable. You know, it's it's crazy to put in words, but it was. It was a great day, dream come true and it was awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how did you control all those emotions behind the plate to be able to be a steady guy.
Speaker 6: Me and Gav did a lot of you know, work on these guys, watch their swing, did a lot of scouting and stuff.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 6: Coming into it felt comfortable. You know. I called him before, so I knew what works for him, like what gets him gone.
Speaker 3: And he threw a hell of a game.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: I loved how he established the inside part of the plate at the beginning of this, in the very first inning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he did a great job.
Speaker 6: He was locating five pitch as well, had a game plan going into it. He attacked the zone and it worked out.
Speaker 2: How about your first major league hit? It came in the bottom of the seventh inning. Not a cheapie, that was a solid hit, Fiducca.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'll take it. Good to get the first one out of the way. You know, it's it's a crazy moment for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, any more of these to come. Thanks a lot for stopping.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 2: There he is Hunter Fiducca who caught today's game and had a great pitcher catcher relationship with Gavin Stone. They were in sync from the very first pitch, and I love how Gavin Stone established the inner part of the plate right away and making one of the hottest race hitters, a little uncomfortable by moving his feet Junior Caminero. Rick Monday mentioned that during the broadcast as well, and Hunter Fiducca and Gavin Stone had a great day, with Stone going seven innings with seven strikeouts and Fiducca collecting his first major league hit in the seventh inning. Unfortunately, he was doubled off on a fly ball to right field. Agura's Johnny de Luca caught it, but he dropped it on the transfer. The umpires on the field called it a catch, and Fiducca was looking at De Luca instead of what the umpires called it a rookie mistake on the basis, but obviously he will learn from it. And that's the reason why the Dodgers continued to win and continue to develop young players. They don't throw them all out there at the same time, because if you did, you would have too many rookie mistakes in the same game. And that's why some of these teams that have too many rookies playing at the same time obviously go through more growing pains than a veteran team like the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: All Right, we're going to.
Speaker 2: Take a time out here on Dodger Talk live from Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 3: When we come back, more of your phone.
Speaker 2: Calls, plus you will hear from Tony Gonsolin, remember him. He was at Dodgers Stadium today and he was pitching. We will let you hear from the Catman when we continue. After the Dodgers beat the Rays three to one on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 14: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com, hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Basse.
Speaker 1: Bookie Betts herst pitch swinging, high flight ball.
Speaker 3: What field did you Booky?
Speaker 4: Pooky Betts makes it hurt a two run home run to break the tie and the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Leaded three to one.
Speaker 2: Booky made it hurt so good in the bottom of the eighth inning, eighty eight, right in his wheel house and he did not miss it.
Speaker 3: The one two punch of show.
Speaker 13: Hey.
Speaker 2: O Tani and Mookie Bets deliver in the eighth inning. O'tani gets on base, Mookie Betts hits the go ahead two run home run to give the Dodgers the three to one win. David Vasse live at Dodgers Stadium. We have phone lines open at eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy and Daniels Jewelers is the official sponsor of the Trip around the Diamond. Stop by any Daniel's location and say home run for your free team bracelet and fifty dollars gift card toward any purchase of ninety nine dollars or more. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Like I mentioned, Mooki Betts with runners in scoring position this season has been outstanding, one of the best as far as in those situations when he was leading off before he got injured, and he continues to be that guy hitting behind O'tani and getting a lot of opportunities.
Speaker 3: Mooki this year.
Speaker 2: With runners in scoring position has an ops of over one thousand and his batting average is three fifty four. And this Otani Mookie Betts won two new batting order seems to be working out pretty well because if Otani doesn't deliver, then all of a sudden, the opposing pitcher has to deal with Mookie Betts. Like Rich love Lady did, and I will say this, just to be fair, when the Dodgers and Phillies hooked up and the Dodgers kind of back down to Nick Casteanos and Matt Strom, I will say this. I love that Max Munsey screamed back at rich love Lady after he was the second batter to get hit by a pitch in that eighth inning. Otani, of course was the first one, but Munsey also got hit and he took exception with it. And it's not like love Lady was trying to hit Otani or Munsey. But what players have issues with is when pittures like rich Lovelady, who have only thrown twenty one innings this year, cannot command the end inside pitch and they throw inside and really don't care if they're going to hit you or not. That's what Max Munsey was upset about. If you can't command the inside pitch, don't throw it there. And that's why Munsey was screaming at him. And somebody has to. You can't allow your best hitter to get hit by a pitch after Mookie Bets just missed six weeks, and you can't allow Max Munsey to get hit without saying something after he just came back after missing three months.
Speaker 3: I love that Monsey bark.
Speaker 2: Back at love Lady, because that shows the Dodgers are not going to accept that, at least certain players are not going to accept that.
Speaker 3: Let's go out to Pico Rivera. Lorraine. You're on Dodger Talk. Hi Lorraine.
Speaker 4: Hi David.
Speaker 13: You talked about Freddy a little bit ago. And I don't think that he's not hitting because they defade his best friend. He's way too much of a pro. My concern is that fractured finger. The Dodger's gonna give him any time off before that big weekend series with Arizona.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what.
Speaker 2: And I did not say that's the reason why he's not hitting, but he has not looked good in this series. I said that he just doesn't seem to have the feel in the batter's box. And I was trying to see whether or not Freddy puts some extra gaze or tape on his bat to try to rest that right middle finger on it. So maybe it doesn't put as much pressure on that middle finger, but from what I could tell from here, he has not. But hopefully he gets that feel back in the batter's box by the time the Dodgers go to Arizona. And you're right, Lorraine, he's too much of a pro to just sulk for three or four or five or six games. It's just a bad timing that all of this is happening at the same time. And let's not forget you know, the Freeman's are still helping little Max get through his physical therapy.
Speaker 3: So Freddie's had.
Speaker 2: A lot going on the last week and certainly the last month of his life.
Speaker 3: All right, thanks, yeah, I think we.
Speaker 2: I feel like we all just take for granted that all of a sudden, little Max Freeman is back to normal. He's on his way, he's taking physical therapy, but there's still a lot of attention and care that needs to be given to little Max. Not to mention, Freddie and Chelsea have two other kids they have to give attention to and take care of.
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure Freddie was not, you know, feeling great, and he said as much, which we heard last night about Hayward being designated for assignment. But look, he has a lot going on, and he's human, he's not a robot. And a lot of times we all just expect these guys to go out there, shut up and play, shut up and hit the baseball. Who cares what's going on in your personal life. Who cares if you have a microfracture in your right middle finger. That's not how it works, even for the great ones. But Freddy. Freddy is one of the best hitters of his generation and the reason why he's one of the best hitters of his generation. Even if he doesn't go good for three or four or even six game stretch, he minimizes it. He finds different ways to help the team win with his defense, with his base running, and he certainly will be there when it matters the most. Let's go out to Alex, who is at Dodger Stadium. Hi, Alex, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 9: Hey Misa, how are you?
Speaker 3: Ah, you can't say that, just call me David.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir?
Speaker 3: All right, Alex, what do you got?
Speaker 11: I just wanted to see how sure hay Pen was doing. I actually got hit by that pitch.
Speaker 3: He looked to be fine.
Speaker 2: He was stealing the dugout looking at the iPad, and that's when the trainer said, Hey, we want to take a look at the X rays and Dave Roberts said after the game. It was nega, so he did not seem to be in any extended period of pain like Mookie Bets, who obviously was down on the ground for a long time and we all knew that he broke something there. So luckily, Otani has the padding on the top of his batting gloves and he has a lot of armor on that front elbow, so he's well protected.
Speaker 3: But it seemed like he got him where he had no padding.
Speaker 11: But he's okay, yeah, yeah, thanks.
Speaker 7: One more question, why do you think the Dodgers sat Gavin Lux today?
Speaker 2: Well, it's a day game after a night game, and Chris Taylor has been activated off the injured list. It was a good chance against the lefty. The Dodgers have not seen to give Lux a day off. All right, Okay, Alex, thanks for the phone call. Appreciate you listening. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. And by giving Gavin Lux to day off, they've given him two days off essentially because he did not come in as a pinch hitter. And tomorrow the Dodgers have the day off before they take on the Orioles in a three game series. To close out this nine game homestand which is all American League teams. The Dodgers swept the Seattle Mariners and now I've taken two out of three from Tampa Bay. The Dodgers are twenty five and thirteen against the American League this season as they welcome in the Orioles to close out this homestand beginning on Tuesday night, the Dodgers are seventy eight and fifty three. They have the best record in baseball, but they have two teams right on their heels, the Diamondbacks, who are just three games back, and the Padres are four and a half games back. And if you look at the Orioles, they're coming to Dodger Stadium for the first time since July of twenty sixteen. Eight six six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. When we got to Dodgers Stadium this morning, we saw Tony Gonsolin and he was playing catch on flat ground. We saw Gonsoln in the Dodger dugout last night during the game, and Gonsoln has been at camel Back Ranch recovering from Tommy John surgery. Tomorrow will mark a year since the surgery, which was performed by the great doctor Neil Elatrosh, so you know, it was pristine and doctor Elatrosh was even out here watching Gonsolin throw, and we had a chance to catch up with Tony Gonsolin after he threw off the mound here at Dodger Stadium for the first time since undergoing Tommy John surgery.
Speaker 15: Definitely getting closer fron three lives now they've been, they've gone pretty good. Command isn't quite where I want it to be yet, although today it was pretty good. Maybe it's something about being back on that mound, but yeah, overall, just just working with the progress, you know, trying to take things as they come and manage everything, manage workload, manage you know, straining on the arm and being cognizant about all of that and just taking my time with it.
Speaker 2: If you want to hear our full conversation with Tony gonsoln you can find it on the iHeartRadio app When Isconsolin coming back, well, if he's throwing a three live batting practices, he's here at Dodgers Stadium. The Dodgers wanted to get all their technology on Gonsolin to see exactly where his stuff was. It was doctor Ela Trosh, Mark Pryor Connor McGinnis. And how about this Ron Porterfield, one of the great directors of player health in baseball, was even in La to watch Gonsolin throw. And Ron is based out there in Arizona. He helps to get these guys back on track. He's the best in baseball. And it was awesome to see Ron Porterfield here at Dodgers Stadium. Gonsolyn did mention in our conversation that he is nearing possible rehab games, which means he could be an option for the Dodgers come October if all goes well. So very interesting to see Tony Gonsolyn out here at Dodgers Stadium and throwing off the mound and also mentioning that he may be headed out on a rehab assignment shortly. Here all right, that'll do it for us on Dodger Talk today. Coming up tomorrow, we have off day Dodger Talk for you at seven o'clock. The Dodgers are off no game until Tuesday, but we do have a great show for you tomorrow night from seven to eight pm. Joe Kelly will join us and also Mike Soosha, The all time leading catcher in Dodger history will join us as well. Nobody has caught more games in Dodger history than Mike's Soosha and he will join us Tomorrow night from seven to eight pm on a five to seventy LA Sports and you can listen live on the iHeartRadio app. When the Dodgers get back in action on Tuesday Night against the Orioles, Jack Flaherty will be on the mound facing his former team. Remember last year Flerity was traded from the Cardinals to the Orioles, so will be facing Baltimore for the first time since leaving them last year. Morono Casino Dodgers on Deck begins at six o'clock with first pitch from Dodgers Stadium between the Dodgers and Baltimore Orioles at seven to ten. Thanks to Colin Yee back at our Burbank Studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium, and thanks to you for listening.
Speaker 3: In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Coming up at eight o'clock a big Fantasy football draft which includes Gavin Stone, who pitched great today seven innings, seven strikeouts, and allowed just a solo home run to Agura. Zone Johnny de Luca, I'm coming for you, Stone, I'm gonna give you more of a fight than the race did today during our fantasy draft. Be ready, same with you, Gonzo, be Ready, and everybody else once again. The final score today from Dodgers Stadium. The Dodgers defeat the Race three to one. Have a great rest of your Sunday.
Speaker 3: See you play