Speaker 1: Here's your channeline first one forecast star with the heat advisory which is in effect on chill eight pm because it's going to be a very hot day to day. It'll be humid today, it'll be ninety one for a high today overnight lowes seventy four with clear sky, mostly sunny, heat, humidity again tomorrow a lot of it. Afternoon showers and storms also a possibility tomorrow ninety two for the hight seventy five overnight with clowns and fati on Sunday as well, chance of afternoon showers and.
Speaker 2: A high up night eighty Right now, time for trafficks. Probably you see how Triumphank Center, you see health. You'll find comprehensive care that's so personal it makes your best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care for better outcome. So expect more at you sehelp dot com North Bend seventy five that slows just event through the cut, sap pound seventy five doing fine out of the Machlan slows just a bit at the brand Spence northbound four seventy one. Problem for you this morning under five minutes from two seventy five to town Chuck ingram on fifty five KRE see the station.
Speaker 1: Hey, twenty nine fifty five KCD talk station, Bryan Timas, youre wishing everybody very happy Friday. I hope you had some plans for the weekend to put a smile on your face. And let us suggest maybe if you've got a young person in your home, that maybe they don't go to college and incurt two hundred thousand dollars in student loans and come out with a degree in art or something that there is no employment opportunity there. That's a foolish exercise. How about a career opportunity rather than four years in college. How about earning while you learn, get a job in the trades, and apparently there are a lot of jobs out there. Welcome Brian Miller. He is with the Northern Kentucky or sorry, the Building Industry Association of Northern Kentucky. You can find him online at builders NKY dot com. Brian, welcome to the program. Good to have you on today.
Speaker 3: More of my friend Howry on this fine Friday.
Speaker 1: I'm doing great, and you know I'm a convert for what you're pushing here, which is a career opportunity in the trades and the important operative word in that is career. You can earn a good living in the trades. This isn't something you know, This isn't like going to work in the McDonald's. You can actually raise a family and uh and and and buy a home. Well maybe not in this housing market, but you can actually afford to live and enjoy life while working in the trades.
Speaker 3: Yeah. This this housing market is another call in I think. But as far as the trades go, you know, just it's it's a it's an outstanding opportunity. Unlike so many decades before. You know, we're seeing a big shift with this latest generation generation Z. They're really making a press into the end of the trades. And and they're really the hands on generation. And you know when they when they when they look at at the trades, they're talking about things like coming to electrician, plumber and HVAC installer, carpenters, welders, masons, people that work on facilities. And we're looking at wages just straight out of the trade school that are really getting to the level of about you the mid fifties all the way up to around ninety thousand dollars. And if you're talking about taking those skills to the next level. You know, we can talk about that, but we're really talking about leveling up in the way of potential income in a very short amount of time. And so we're seeing folks that come through the nsy Billion Institute, which I know that we're here to talk about plus this Generation Z trend, but you know, we're seeing folks that are we just get around the interviews as and videos of some of our students and graduates. We're seeing twenty two year olds, twenty three year olds buying their first home, buying their first vehicles, investing in their future wealth and going back to what the American dream used to look like for your fifty years ago.
Speaker 1: And you know, and doing rewarding work. Brian, I have. I am a dabbler, you know, jack of all trades, master of none. But I owned a really old house when we lived in Oak Park, Illinois, one hundred and twenty five year old home, and it needed a lot of work, and my wife and I at the time didn't have the resources to hire people out to do all this work. So I learned back then, you go to the library and you get a book, you figure out how to do you know, a plaster and lathe work would work. Actually made some of my own furniture, teaching myself how to do it. But the nice thing about it, and the only reason I bring that up, is because when you walk into a room like the bathroom that I remodeled, I learned how to lay tile, you walk in, there's a sense of pride. You created something that is going to be there and outlast you. And that's the kind of thing that I've heard from people in the trades all the time. I hung that high iron on that skyscraper I helped build, to do the masonry work on that building. I mean, everywhere you go, you've got something to show for the work that you've done.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. You know, a lot of our instructors are actually graduated program and they're current trades people, and a lot, you know, we have information this report were just released about how they're beginning to age or have been agent quite some time. And you talk to these folks and they tell you what the sense of pride and a little glint of a tier in the corner of their eye, how they drive pass structures. All the time, I watch people going to work, watch families kiss the loved ones, goodbye as they go to work in the morning or come home in the afternoon and say, I had a hand in building that I was in that room. I made that happen. That kid sits at that desk in their bedroom. You know I installed that trim carp dere or that that company that's going in and clocking in every day. If it worn't for me, that structure wasn't going to end up being there. So yeah, they has a great sense of pride and a great opportunity. And you know, on top of that, I don't know if any other industry in this country where company ownership and company management has got an open gate the way it does now in the construction industry.
Speaker 1: Excellent point. Entrepreneurial opportunities abound. Now you learn your HVAC trade work and going through the Endswiler Building Institute, you can earn while you learn. We'll talk about the details on this. We'll take a break in a second. You can break it down a little bit more thoroughly, Brian, But you can quit wherever you are and start your own business. Once you got the skills that's needed, you could become your own employer. And what a great thing that is. For the entrepreneurally minded kids out there or folks out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've got this that they wan't a generation Z. They are some smart folks. And it's not just the old trades, you know, just nothing technology laced. The younger people are really bringing technology on the job site with them and so this is stuff that AI can't take away. But you know, we're seeing a lot of gen zs. They are actually teaming up right out of our school and they have found out the secret that Hey, if I really want to do well in this world, and I really want to provide for my family and for myself and my loved ones, I can team up with a group of other trade professionals. We can build up a company and to a point where it is a marketable sale, we can sell it. We can go back and do that again two or three times. And you're talking about an open paycheck for what the rest of the world looks like for you. So, you know, just there's just such a lack of these of these of these of these companies out there, and we you know, one of the things that's been driving up the price of homes is lack of homes. But are the causes of that as we got the lack of builders aren't just full builders, but we're talking about people that are in the trades period. So we have minished our supply of trades people to a point where that demand curve has gone up so high that the wages are spiking, and it's just an amazing opportunity for folks. It just the last five years and the trades that we teach it. We'll get into here in a little bit, but we're looking at somewhere between its sixteen up to around a twenty seven percent increase in the last five years, and just these wages alone. So you know, a plumber back about you know, five years ago, eight years ago that was making fifty to fifty one thousand dollars, they're getting close to seventy thousand dollars now.
Speaker 1: Career opportunity.
Speaker 3: Pause.
Speaker 1: We'll pause, will bring Brian Miller back to talk a little bit more about the ends while or building institute. But something I'm more I'm more excited about and really think is just a really cool thing is the Covington Academy of Heritage Trades. More with Brian Miller from the Building Industry of Northern Kentucky again online at builders nky dot com. Pause for a moment, we'll be right back. Fifty five KRC John and I with a work ask heat advisory until eight pm. It's going up in ninety one to day with very humid conditions. Oh night, it's going to be clear. It's going to drop to seventy four. It'll be sticky and hot Tomorrow, going up in ninety two degrees and maybe some showers in the afternoon. Thouds of a night down to seventy five, and Sunday is going to be mostly flatty day again, a possible shower in the afternoon and a high of ninety eighty one degrees. Right now, let's get a traffic update.
Speaker 2: From the U see out Traffic Center.
Speaker 1: You see Health.
Speaker 2: You'll find comprehensive care that's so personal it makes your best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care for better outcomes. Expect more at uc health dot com. Highway traffic continues to look good. No major problems to deal with. That includes de lays. It's going to be a different story on seventy five a little bit later on.
Speaker 1: Tonight, they're going to walk off one late day eight o'clock.
Speaker 2: Both North and southbound seventy five, then two after eleven o'clock between the highway.
Speaker 1: On the latter Chuck Ingram Month.
Speaker 2: Fifty five KRZ the talk station.
Speaker 1: Hey forty fifty five KRCD talk station from the Building Industry Association in Northern Kentucky. Brian Miller talking about jobs and career opportunities in the trades. Real quick, Brian, before we dive on into the Enswaller Institute and the other thing that I'm interested in, the Covington Academy of Heritage Trades. I just want to let you know one of my regular listeners, jeff he's in the machine tool business, owns his own business, Mark Contool. Shout out to the boys of Markcontool. Jeffrey says, thanks for plugging the trades again today. We need all the help we can get. Serious opportunities are waiting for those that are willing to get their hands a little dirty. So there's one guy in the business out there doubling down on what you're saying, Brian. There are lots of jobs out there, and some really good paying ones. So let's pivot over. So if you go to the builders nkys dot com site, you'll see a link to the Endswiler Building Institute, So let's start there and with that program involves and I see you have opportunities for high school students as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we do, and in Kentucky we've been expanding those. So the last two years we've had wonderful support by some legislators in our market, like this last session with Representative Kim Banta in the session before that with Senator Shelley Funky Promyer, a wonderful leaders. You know, we've been able to pass some bills which has been taking this dual credit concept that the part of the education has had for quite some time and shifting it over to the construction trade. So we are currently working with public schools and area technology centers and hopes to be able to solidify curriculum alignment where people that graduate from high school that are in these vocational programs are able to achieve dual credit and to our proprietary school, the ins our Ability Institute, and you get into the trade and get into a license trade even that much faster, so we already accelerate your career advancement as a recognized education provider with state government and the licensed trades will electric HVAC and plumbing. But this next step we'll be able to shave off another year. And what we've also been able to do is that on the job training hours you can now achieve those in high school too, So quite frankly, by the time that you come to our program in the license trades, you could be one year away from your licensure, which means an advancement of about twenty to thirty thousand dollars in your trades alone. And on the back end of that, we are going to start some value added classes because we know because college isn't right for everybody, but you can still pick up the skills that you can learn in college without all the electives. We will be providing some classes in estimating and project management. You want to talk about a level up. We talked about twenty to thirty thousand dollars increase in these trades just to get your license in those three trades alone, But if you're looking at becoming an estimator in the field, electrician can increase their pay by twenty to forty percent just by becoming an estimator, and if you've become a project manager, they can increase their pay from thirty percent to seventy percent. So we're talking about coming out with the license and the electric trades just under sixty thousand dollars. But if you get into project management, you're talking somewhere between seventy to one hundred and twenty thousand dollars. If you can run a crew and run into our project.
Speaker 1: Not too shabby. Wow blows the mind, it really does.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Now, let's use a hypothetical here. Let's say you're you know, you're in your forties and you're tired of being the producer for the fifty five carsy morning show. Is it too late for someone mid career life to maybe turn to the trades and learn this as a career opportunity or is it sort of designed to focus mostly on the on the younger people.
Speaker 3: Now? Absolutely not. Our average age of our of our adult enroll is about twenty four years old, and we're trying to make that younger. But we do have several people that are in career transitions, so they, you know, they've been the workaday world. They're like, I'm burned out by this. There's a lot of pressures. And then we see artificial intelligence making its inter roads in the white collar community folks that are choosing the trades because artificial intelligence can't fix your plumbing at two.
Speaker 1: O'clock in the morning, No it can't. They actually did a South Park episode on that. It's fantastic, all right, Brian, Let's okay. So that's the ends Wild Billding Institute. All the information there again at the website builders nky dot com. Let's pivot over to something that's near and dear in my heart. This is the Covington Academy of Heritage Trade. Now, I mentioned before we had one hundred and twenty five year old home. But I have always been interested in architecture, and I have a profound appreciation for the skill and the and the the just the absolute amazing ability of old school craftsmen, what they were able to accomplish by way of woodwork and these historic homes. It's just to me, it's awe inspiring. That's as a trade that still exists through your Comington Academy of Heritage Trades.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, this is one of only a handful of opportunities like this in the entire country. And this is a wonderful project. It's a partnership, it's a public private partnership of the City of Covington. We also receive support for all of our trades, including the main Aswild Building Institute, the Kenton County government, several other resources, state government support. There's a lot of industry professionals that help us out. But getting into this, coming to thecavity of heritage trades, the City of Covington engaged a group called Place Economics and they did a study in northern Kentucky, specifically in the Covington area, our largest municipality, as to what is the state of historic architecture in the area, also just an inventory of older homes, what condition they're in, what are the major components in need of work, and so what we're looking to do as a partnership is to raise up this aging urban core infrastructure to be able to provide a quality housing for folks. Now, the study that was done by Economics also found out that if you are a trades person out there, if you work in the historic trades, you're looking to increase your pay by about nine percent. So there is a little bit of a level up there with regards to getting into this field. Now, it's a different field, right, so it's not looking at a set of blue prints and building something from the ground up. You have to be a specialist, and that's what this Academy is here to teach you to do, is to break down the barriers from somebody that works on the brand new build Greenshield environment to be able to transition over to the historic environment to understand it. Okay, if I'm going to get into that wall, what's behind it? For so ultimately that's really where the stumbling blocks are. And if we can help take those blocks out of the wall to transition people over to the historic trades, it's a profession. That's ultimately what the goal of the Academy is. So we can do that, we can build up the community. We can make sure that the urban core is just as healthy as a housing market as the new built suburban environment and serves because you know, every home is every home matters, and so yeah, everybody has to have a place in this, in this, in this, in this, in this world, and all markets, especially throughout Greater Cincinnati and of course in our corner of the world here in Northern Kentucky need to have a vibrant housing market in every pocket and in every corner. So that everybody and every income on strata can have a place to call home.
Speaker 1: Well, and from my perspective, Brian, they don't build them like they used to, and I mean they built them in the old days like they over built. I mean a know, soft two by fours in the walls of some of these older homes. But the program the coming to the academy trades. I'm looking at the list box cutters, historic masonry, historic carpentry work, plaster work which I mentioned before. It ain't drywall you're dealing with. It's plaster and lay than these historic homes. Historic painting work, stained in decorative glass, historic window restoration, weatherization along with wood floors. So those are the types of trades you learned old school methods which keeps the historic quality of the building going. I mean, then I imagine some of them. You suppose you could have a historic designated building, you have to comply with the original historic designs absolutely.
Speaker 3: I mean Covenson has several different historic overlay districts which are all unique to their subcommunities. So like Pieselberg, all these you know, mainstrews, all these different areas have all got their own characters years ago. The world was a lot smaller. We didn't get around that much and so you really have to learn how to conform to that historic code either you're in a historic zone or under a historic overlay, and you know, just an opportunity for you to not only you know, become a trade professional also increase your own home too. It just because it's called the Company Academy of Peri's Trades and not just open for the people that are inside the city of Kevington. We have folks from OTR all over the region that we love historic homes that are able to come out and benefit from these courses. So they run basically in a series of shops all year long. And if you want to find more information about that, that standalone website is Pritage Trade at Academy dot com. And to back up, that standalone website for the institute is Building Institute dot com. So we've got some great premier URLs out there that people can go check out. We've got a lot of data on there too, and this report we've recently released can also show you know, not just that nine percent uplift with a director working on historic structures, but if you want to take things to the next level, really driving your potential earning income will into the six figures.
Speaker 1: That's just a wonderful thing to hear. No college education, no leaving with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt and a class you had to sit through like music appreciation to get your degree. Brian Miller, keep Joe's trekers. What was that number again? I told just Trekker. Every time an opportunity like this comes on, Joe's got one foot out the door. Brian, Well, keep up the great work. I'll encourage my listeners go to my blog page fifty five KC dot com or they'll be able to hear this conversation. But also get the links that you mentioned and pursue a career. And if you're you have a young person in your world, steer them in this direction. I think they'll be very happy that they pursued the trades as opposed to a college education. Brian, keep up the great work. You can feel free to join the Morning Show anytime. If you got some updates or information on the trades, I'd love to have you back on.
Speaker 3: Also, my friend tell Jenn to strap on some steel tub before he had done over.
Speaker 1: I would but he already left the building. Thanks Brian. Great weekend. It's eight fifty right now, fifty five k SE Detok station, fifty five KRC. Thinking about buying