Speaker 1: It's nice eyes. I'm telling you Ezy Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Yes indeed, yes, indeed, we are talking about the tariffs. And we just had a really good hour. I thought a great hour of Professor Greg Styler. Uh. He teaches at the Questions the Questrom School of Business at Boston University, and he explained things, and he went to the two car the healers today to basically do his homework. I just sent him a text and said he he deserved an A plus tonight. He was a great guest. We will have him back sooner rather than later. And I just thought that the call that the Questions were good. Let me just say, folks, when I know many of you wait for quite a time, and you know some of you want to you know you're a little nervous, just get right to the point, particularly if you have a question for a guest, because I bring the guest on so that we can talk to people at that level again, business school professors, editorial writers at the Globe, United States attorney lawyers, and they and the ones I pick are people who I know want to talk with you. We don't have Elizabeth Warren on the shows. He turned down many invitations. She wouldn't want to take phone calls, she wouldn't want to talk to you. But I think it's great when we can have people on, whatever their background, but particularly people who have extraordinary jobs. You know. And again we used to have Marty Walsh and Tom Anino on. Mayor who doesn't seem to have that desire, which is fine, she doesn't have to come on the show. We know that Senator Warren very rarely well has never been on the show, never been on the show. Senator Markey will come on occasionally. We can have some fun with him. Steve Lynch comes on a lot, Seth Molten will come on, Laurie Trehan will come on. I hope to get Jake Auchincloss on again and get him to take some phone calls, because that's the service that we can provide. You don't abuse it. You know. Josh Kraft was on tonight. You got a question, ask a question, if you want to make a kind comment, make a kind comment. He's not coming on to be abused or be asked trek questions and everybody feels that they got to somehow. You know. Again, I just employ you to understand that it's not easy, particularly in the eight to midnight hour, to get people of that stature to come on to show. Many of them work their entire day. I mean Jim Roosevelt from on Social Security the other night, extraordinary guests. Please value those guests because and I'm gone, whatever that is, Whoever succeeds me won't be won't be providing you with guests like that. Trust me on that. And if you if you don't understand what I'm saying, then you're not as as perceptive as I think most of you are. So now it is open lines on the Trump tariffs, your thought, your perspective. I'll try to have a conversation with you. Let's go to David in Dorchester. David, you have held on through the news. Appreciate your patience. You're next on Nightside.
Speaker 3: I just want to know will that effect travel, what theffect you know right uh self come from? Like electricity coming from Canada?
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, I could will Yes, we get we get some hydro electric power, uh that that comes to us from Quebec. I don't know that that we get it throughout the entire year, but I think it's one of the sources. Yeah, anything that comes in from any foreign country will have the potential of having a tariff impost on it, and that cost is going to be passed on to you and me, whether it's a car that's made overseas. What the Trump administration is hoping that some of these countries that have been making money off of us, as it were, by overcharging us on tariffs, that that they may turn around and say, no, mass let's let's go to five percent tariffs, reciprocal five percent for you, five percent of US and in best case scenario, no, no tariffs. I mean, everybody would love to see free trade, but that's not been what we've been dealing with. Now. I think President Trump has taken a huge gamble, David, and this could this could cost him, you know, his the success of his presidency. It might work, work, it might not work. We'll have to see how it goes. What do you what's your thoughts? Last point?
Speaker 3: My thought is right the way Trump is thinking, because other countries will turn around and charging us over charge of us. Yeah, I think Trump, you know, I think Trump is probably on the right track on doing say anything to him.
Speaker 2: Well, he certainly has has put a stake in the ground and we'll see how it how it works out. I'm going to watch when I go to the grocery store, and I I'm gonna I want to make sure that companies who produce products in this country, who therefore are not paying tariffs, don't try to take advantage of this situation, if you know what I'm saying. Yeah, I mean, and we will out companies on this program. If all of a sudden, I see that there's some company that has raised their prices because they think they can just raise their prices, we'll talk about it on Night Side, I promise you.
Speaker 4: Sure, right, my friend, I appreciate you call, David.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much for calling. You took the time to call. Thank you much. We'll talk again. Call anytime.
Speaker 5: All right, good night, great night, Okay, good night.
Speaker 2: I'm going to keep going here. Let's get everybody, and John is in handover. John, You're next on nightside. Welcome. Well, if John isn't there, we'll put him on hold. Rob please put him on hold and we'll take a break. We'll take a break and we'll try him on the other side of this break. Here on Nightside. My name's Dan Ray. This is Nightside. The only line open is six one seven.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on w BZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Folks, for those of you who are new to Nightside, we have what's called a ten second delay. What that means is that callers who try to say some bad words and the radio, uh, we have ten seconds in which Rob can kill those words. So if Rob puts you on the line and says to you, okay, we're gonna put you on hold, you'll be ready, and he tells you to turn the radio down, turn the radio down. We've had a couple of callers who you can tell I say hello, Hello, welcome to Nightside, and they're listening to the radio, and they don't hear me. They're not listening on the phone. They think that they're going to talk to me through the radio. So let's try with John, who I believe might have been listening to the radio. But we'll try him again. John, Welcome, you're next on Nightside.
Speaker 4: I'm here. I had you on mute.
Speaker 5: Sorry about that, Dan, Yeah, that can happen too.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's another thing people shouldn't do. Listen on the radio. Uh, listen, listen on the phone. It's as simple as that go ahead.
Speaker 5: John, Hey, so I think then he's a master deal maker and we kind of voted for this, you know, and it's an investment in the future of the country.
Speaker 4: He said.
Speaker 5: You know, he's gonna do this on April third. So any intelligent moneyman move their positions last week so they could rebuy this week at the new low.
Speaker 2: You know, well, I wish I had done that. I wish I wish I was an intelligent money man. Did you do that?
Speaker 5: If I had money, I would have done it.
Speaker 2: Okay, But I.
Speaker 5: Think the forty seven in his circle is smarter and more successful than most of the politicians they're going to deal with. And then you know, there's going to be pain after you put tariffs on. It's temporary, but it's an investment. And what's the goal. It's the better the country. And if we don't feel it right away, you know, people who have kids the next generation, if this is a more independent country, things are going to be cheaper and you're going to get back to that quality of life that this country is known for. We don't have it anymore.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you. I just think it's I'm not taking a position here. I'm just telling you I think it's a tremendous gamble. And either this will solidify Donald Trump as a transformational president, he would he would be in the category of a Roosevelt or a Reagan in the sense that Reagan came to office and said, the Soviet Empire, the Soviet Union is an evil empire. We got to take him out. He spent a lot of money building up our defense forces after the Vietnam uh and and the hostage that Jimmy hostage situation, Jimmy Carter Dell with and guess what, he broke the back of the Soviet Union and the wall came down. Franklin Roosevelt came in during the Great Depression and he put in place a number of government programs which have served people for almost one hundred years, including Social Security, amongst others. And so he was transformational. If this works for Trump, he's transfer transformational. If it doesn't work, he's in the in the Presidential Hall of Shame as a failed president.
Speaker 5: And he wants to be remembered as the transformational guy. And he's the one of the few people I have faith in. And like you know, there's a lot of valid reasons for people who are older than me to dislike him from like the whole draft dodging and then you know other things, but from you know, my point of view. I'm forty years old. I never really felt represented by either party. And when he stepped forward and Republicans and Democrats both hated him, I was like, oh, that's my guy.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, let me tell you, you represent a group of people in your age group. Look, traditionally people your age tend to vote a little more Democratic, and and older people voted Republican. That kind of got flipped on its head. Donald Trump has made tremendous intro inroads into folks who have been you know, when I say folks, I'm talking about people in the category. He had more Black support, he had more Hispanic support. The so called gender gap was less than what the posters realized. And he had a lot more people in their in their twenties and in their thirties and in their early forties like you who decided to give him a chance. Look, he we only have one president at a time. Anyone who was rooting against him is rooting against the United States. Anyone who was rooting against Joe Biden when he was in offices rooting against the United States, and I want every president to be successful. But maybe that's just me.
Speaker 5: I completely agree. Thanks a lot, Dan, You have a good night.
Speaker 2: You too, John. Is this your first time calling or no?
Speaker 5: No, we'll talk a few times. I'm the tower climber who worked on the Bezy Tower a few times.
Speaker 4: I have a daughter company.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, I thought a bunch you the other day to see that guy. He was on a tower somewhere in the South Shore and I think a tree limb came down and broke his arm. No, they had they got him down safely, but he was in a position and no they You know, look, got to admire what with guys like you, do you have more more guts?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: And uh that's early I do. I wouldn't do it at my and I wouldn't do it when I was your aide. So thanks for what you do. Appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Thanks, thank you, Lucky, Thanks good night.
Speaker 2: Let's keep rolling here. We got we got Paul in Pennsylvania. Paul, welcome back. Next to night'st How are you right?
Speaker 6: Dan?
Speaker 4: Really really great last sable with the professor that was really good stuff.
Speaker 2: Well it was crazy because because he just told the truth and and there was there was no political veneer over it. So I thought it was an hour in which I got a better sense of tariffs, and I hope everyone else did.
Speaker 4: Well. I hope everything works out what the President Trump wants to do. I know, on the news it seems like a lot of newscasters are doing the chicken little you know, the sky is folly. Oh yeah, they're hyping, they're hyping things up. I hope it works out. You might always. I always a question about the whole thing. Is all people know in life is in terms of their own experience, And what I mean by that is he wants to bring manufacturing jobs back today States. They haven't been here in a long time. And I don't know how true this is, but back in the nineteen eighties, I guess it was when the Jetmeese car companies started patting plants in the United States. They supposedly did a study of the American worker. I don't know if you ever heard about that study, Dad, but supposedly, like on Monday, the worker was work from the weekends. Tuesday they worked, Wednesday, they were sort of like was some day Thursday, they sort of slacked off, and then Friday they were all hyped up for the weekend and they didn't do much. And whether that's short, I don't know. But you know, you're sure they weren't talking.
Speaker 2: Let me let me ask you this. Were they talking about private sector workers or government workers?
Speaker 4: Oh, now you're comment of workers, and that's a whole different, that's the whole different, breedy cats.
Speaker 2: Well, here's the thing there, here's what I remember about that time. Okay. Uh, the auto industry was devastated because there was a trend in this country to buy foreign cars. I tended to buy Vovals because I felt Vovals was safer cars. I am now thinking, I have an eleven year old Voval. I got to buy a car at some point in the in the notistic future, I'm for the first time really going to look at American made cars and find that find the best American made car. And uh, and that's that's where I'm gonna go, because I'm I I think it's time to support the American worker who lives in Michigan and has a family and is is trying to educate their kids and and and get and get their life going.
Speaker 4: So well, I agree, Dan, and I like to see that, but I like to see all the President Trump's plans that turn out good for everybody and like that. Well woman then called it and said she wanted for President Biden was just supporting President Trump. I have one for President Trump and opened his plans to work out because U you know, we have to protect the especially people that work in like the vital and crucial sectors of our country that have to do a national defense and things. We can't be relighting in other countries all the time. We have to eveil the pharmaceutical industry. We have to start making these in the United States.
Speaker 2: Well, look, I think that Trump. I'm going to give Trump high grades on closing the border. That was a huge problem. He pledged to do that. I think it's been done, and I'm giving him grades on getting bad guys out of the country. Okay, MS thirteen members, Trent Augura people, get them out of the country. If a mistake is made, we should be able diplomatically to call the president of El Salvador and say, hey, we sent you two hundred and fifty guys, three of them are not members. Get him out of there. We'll fly him back Okay. At the same time, I've heard these stories and I'm sure others have that there was, you know, some guy who was a barber in California and some guy who was a Venezuelan soccer player. Well, if they were not members of that gang, I want them brought back. But you can. You can be a member of the gang and a barber, or a member of the gang and a soccer player. So you know, let's let's let's if someone is saying, hey, you took the wrong guy and they can prove it, bring him back. Bring him back.
Speaker 4: Hey, you know what their families to say, so your life for them. They have to people.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no no. I get that. But at the same time, I'm assuming that that for us to know where these gang members are and for us to we must have some inside. We must have infiltrated these gangs. Okay. I don't know if you saw the video the other day, and I don't know if they were gang members, but a lot of the pro athletes Joe Burrows from from the Bengals and Montana or not Montana. The whole homes uh And and Kelsey, their homes have been broken into while they were playing football games. You know those stories, right, uh? And the guy and the Burroughs from Cincinnati. These a bunch of guys from Chile. They were Chili gang members from Chili who would come here. Uh. And and they're breaking into their homes, I mean. And then there was one the other night. There was a camera at Richard Sherman's home. He was a former d back for the for the Seattle Seahawks. Really good player, by the way, and three guys come crashing through a screen with guns. Now I don't know if they were Americans. I don't know if they were gang members. But if they're gang members, I want them gone like yesterday. If they're Americans, I want to put in jail because if they could break into Richard Sherman's home with guns, they can break into your home too.
Speaker 4: And another thing that you know you said about you know after if you know, I hope it never happens. But when did they leave? You know that when I thought of that expresial, you know, step like on old toes. What I mean by that, and respectful to you is you know a lot of people, and you get a lot of good people on your show, and whoever replaces you, they're not actually have the dearth of the knowledge of the people that you know what.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well again, I just want people to be respectful. You know when I when I bring on elected officials, appointed officials, just realize that. Okay, look they're doing my show at nine o'clock at night or ten o'clock at night. They might have better things to do. Okay.
Speaker 4: And you always say you want a conversation. You don't want somebody to go in there and get and make a footbal statement. You want a conversation.
Speaker 2: You got it all. I appreciate you. Well. You keep listening and keep calling. Okay, I appreciate you.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Hi, well Dad, thank you, talk.
Speaker 2: To you soon. Good night, six seven, two, ten thirty. Those lines are full. I shouldn't have been given that number. I got Richard, John and Gary on those lines. The line that has opened six months sep and the only two lines that are open in six one seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty. We'll be back on nightside, join the conversation. We'll talk about tariffs. Are you optimistic? Are you pessimistic? Are you rooting for Trump to succeed or for Trump to fail? I'd like to take the politics out of it, at least for a little while. And let's talk about what are the implications for you, me, your family, and my family, because this is serious business. Back on Nightside, right after the news at the bottom of the.
Speaker 1: Hour, night Side with Dan Ray on' WBZ, Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Barr in the home stretch, Let's take this baby home, let's put it to bed. Let's go next to Uh, I don't know why I thought about that. Let me go to John in Pennsylvania. Drawn your next on Nightside.
Speaker 7: Welcome, Hello, thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 2: You're welcome, John, go right ahead.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 7: So there are numerous reasons why these will be detrimental to the economy. I'll list a few.
Speaker 6: The first is that.
Speaker 7: Many American businesses are actually nonetheless dependent upon certain foreign parts or foreign supplies. And along these businesses are small businesses. Example, given believe it or not, game publishers, tabletop game publishers, many of them are relatively small companies. They depend like board board games, the actual boards dependent largely upon materials produced in China and Vietnam. UH would take okay, So.
Speaker 2: When you say board games are you talking about, Well, let me finish it, man, ask a new question. Here are you talking about monopoly type games? Where game app So we're not Parker John. I'm trying to have a conversation with you. Man, I gave you a minute just to get us going here. I'm trying to have a conversation. So just work with me, okay. So like when you say board games, I think about I don't know, monopoly board or a checkerboard. We can't make monopoly boards or checkerboards in this country.
Speaker 7: For the most part.
Speaker 4: They're made overseas.
Speaker 2: No, I understand that. Yeah, but but okay, let me accept that they're made overseas. Now, I don't know what the tariff would be on a checker board or a monopoly board. I wasn't sure if you were talking when you said board games. If you were talking like I don't know a roulette wheel. You know that by some people buy like these these expensive things for their home. I've seen people who have five thousand dollars roulette wheels in their homes. Whatever.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: So we're talking about, if we talk about board games, why could we not make a simple checkerboard or a monopoly board.
Speaker 7: I didn't say they couldn't be made here. I said that most most game companies are actually relatively small, and they mostly okay, if they were to well, first of all, most of them couldn't afford the capital investment. But if they, if they, if they simply pass along the costs, okay, few are people going to buy. If they absorb the cost, they'll likely go out of business. So that's that's one Okay, that's one example. Here's another example. Do you know what potash is?
Speaker 2: Potox potash?
Speaker 7: Potash a fertilizer that provides potassium to many crops in the US. Okay, manure isn't isn't sufficient to provide potassium to the crops. We're dependent upon Canada for potash. We can't produce enough. Our climate doesn't allow enough to be produced.
Speaker 2: So you need you need it. Let's let me understand this. So you're telling me that in order to produce potass, we need to have a cold.
Speaker 7: Climate, correct, among other things.
Speaker 2: Well, well, I don't know what the other things are. So you're telling me that in the states of the sparsely populated states of like North Dakota, Montana and South Dakota, Idaho, which have very frigid winters, very similar to Manitoba.
Speaker 7: That's that alone isn't enough. You have to have the right mix of mineral runoff as well as the cold weather as as well as the die off from certain from certain plans. So we're dependent on Canada.
Speaker 2: That okay. So I believe that we can still we can disagree on this. I believe that we can make board games. But whatever. So that that that's fine. So let me ask you this so well, if if your theory is in which it might be that these tariffs are not only going to be destructive, counterproductive and all of that, but it's then going to cause us either more problems down the line. And if I accept that theory, just for the purposes of conversation, how do we solve a thirty seven trillion dollar Because I think that's one of the things that he seems to be addressing, and it's one of the things that bothers me. I've never figured out how old you are, but I assume that we're kind of around the same age. I'm a baby boomer. I assume you might be as well.
Speaker 7: No, I'm the generation behind you.
Speaker 2: Okay, fair enough, okay, So how are we going to solve the federal debt problem in this country. You're a smart guy.
Speaker 7: You know what the dead is, right, So let's let I'm glad you got to that. So let's look at this. So there's three main propositions with these tariffs, correct. The first is that, well, he said basically three things.
Speaker 4: One is that he.
Speaker 7: Expects either prices not to go up, at least not in the long term, because either the suppliers will absorb the cost or the importers will absorb the cost. In what he's also said that there's going to be a revival of people buying American goods. That's premise two. Premise three is that these tariffs are going to generate tremendous, tremendous wealth uh to the to the federal government to pay off the deficit. But let's let's so let's look and see if these work. So if prices are absorbed, I've already pointed out that many small manufacturers and retailers and so on won't be able to do that, but let's just let's take take it as a given. If they're absorbed, then there isn't any pressure to buy American right, There wouldn't be any pressure price wise to give American made product and service as a competitive advantage. So one contradicts two. So let's let's assume that the two is true. Okay, that there is a competitive advantage. Prices of foreign goods go up, so there's gonna be more purchasing of American goods and services. Now, of course those prices will go up. Two, because you'll have more people, the demand for those will go up. Okay, So in that case, the imports will fall, and then the tariff revenue will fall likewise, which contradicts three, that the terriff is the terrific.
Speaker 2: John, John, you're going through economic gymnastics with me, and I'm not gonna even attempt to argue every point.
Speaker 8: Clearly you think gymnastics one contra John.
Speaker 2: You have your point of you here. I'm just simply telling you. You've been with me now seven minutes. You have had more time than any other caller we'll have tonight. The point is, the bottom line is you think that this is a bad set of ideas. I'm not going to change your mind. I just want to ask you, excuse me, I just want to ask you one question. Do you hope he succeeds or fails?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 7: I hope I want the American economy to succeed.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's the president.
Speaker 7: Do I want do you want an initiative of this administration, which frankly I find to be anti constitutional and frankly mostly anti American product.
Speaker 2: I understand you really disliked this guy. I got it, no problem, and I'm sure that you could spend twenty minutes telling me all the reasons why you dislike him. So I'm just asking you real simple. You're kind of in a bad situation because you want to root for the economy, but you hope he fails.
Speaker 7: Well, I expect this to feel because.
Speaker 4: The way you're not.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, let us see. Let us keep our conversation. We've done eight eight and a half minutes. My man, Okay, I got other people. I gotta get to it. I can't give everybody eight minutes, so I got to keep rolling. But keep me keep calling. I want to know how you feel next week, next month. You are always welcome to call this show. You know that, Okay, Thank you, John.
Speaker 7: I just wish sometimes if you haven't account of argument of logic, not are you running against the America?
Speaker 2: No? No, Well, see you're a much smarter guy that I am. John, I can't even I can't even deal with your logic. You're much smarter than I am. So I listened to you for a while and then I asked you a couple of questions. That's all.
Speaker 7: I just think you didn't want to deal with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no again, John, I'd love to have, like spend an hour with you. Okay. You know, you know maybe what I can do is I can come to Pennsylvania. I can spend the weekend and we can just talk all weekend and and one of us will Neither one of us will convince each other, but I'm sure you'd be a great guy to have dinner or a beer with. So hit the nine minute mark. I gotta run.
Speaker 7: If you ever want to, I'll buy you.
Speaker 2: Right back at you, Thanks, John. Okay, let me go to Richard and Lowell. Richard, you're next on Nitside. Go right ahead, sir. Okay, Richard's listening to his radio. Put him down, put him on hold. We're going to go to Greg and Ontario. Greg and Ontario, you're next on night Side.
Speaker 6: Yeah right, Dan, good to talk to you again.
Speaker 2: Right back at you, Greg, Welcome, Thanks.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was us in a conversation, Dan, and uh about the Podash. We have a lot of that in here in Canada and Saskatchewan. That's the main source, like your Lives caller said, Yeah, in terms of the terror, yeah, you know, in terms of the tariffs and how it's affecting Canada and things like this, and and uh, you know, it's still our leaders here. They don't they don't understand that they don't have this leverage. They're kind of still shooting their mouth off on how they're going to retaliate a little bit. And I think that's probably really bad for this country. On the other hand, Dan, it's good, like I mentioned to you before, where it's going to finally get our politicians off their butts to do something for this country and get it off to stand on and rely on everybody all the time for everything, you know. And it's in terms of the auto sector and things like that. Well, I was I was brought up. I was born in Windsor, So that was right across from Detroit, as you know. Yeah, and so a lot of my family worked in that sector. I worked in it for Tool and Die. For a short period of time, I worked in some of the auto plants there. And I gotta tell you, I remember back in the seventies, about the mid seventies when all the automotives started moving out to Mexico. I had guys, yeah, you know. And and the thing is Canada here doesn't understand. They don't own any of this, and so they're going to be susceptible to things changing in the economies. And we're we're going to lose some of this work, but we could probably replace that with other things. And and then and then in Canada started making these threat against the US economy, saying, well, we're not going to supply with the aluminum. Well, I'm not sure if it's a good known fact. We have this in Quebec. Here we have a we're all the aluminum actually is refined, but we buy We don't have an aluminum mine here. We buy the aluminum from Brazil, which is one of the countries that has the utmost deposits of aluminum in the world, along with Guinea in Australia. So I try to talk to people here Dan and I say, like, if you really p o the United States, they can go to Brazil, get the aluminum and just refine it. In America and they can do that with a steel right, and I think I.
Speaker 2: Think Trump would do that in a New York. Second, let me ask you real quickly. I think that your politician, is it Doug.
Speaker 6: Ford, Yeah, the Premier of Ontario, Yes, Dan.
Speaker 2: Premier of Ontario. Okay, so he's your premier. He's not the prime minister. So he's in effect like the governor of the of what we would think of as a governor of the state of Massachusetts. In effect, the premier is like a governor. Am I correct on that?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's that's correct man.
Speaker 2: Okay. So he apparently has been quoted in the last day or so saying that, look, he's willing to talk to Trump and he's willing to reduce as long as America will reduce the tariffs as well. Did that surprise you.
Speaker 7: Uh No, it didn't.
Speaker 6: He's met with Trump or not. Actually, some of the Trump's administration. I think a couple of times before these terrorists were put through and they were talking like they were shooting their mauls off, like our premier Doug Fort, he's talking this tough a game. You know. You heard him say, like we're going to cut the power off to the United States and all this time of stuff, and we're all sitting here, like a lot of Canadians are sitting there going like shut your mouth, like you don't understand that. You're like like they don't understand, Dan, they don't understand They're not the big dog in this fight and we're not going to win a tariff wark against the US. Now. We can still be partners in a lot of things. But like I keep saying, I really don't want Trump to take his foot off the gasser, Dan, because I'm watching the politicians in this country for the first time screwing around trying to figure out a way out of this. And the only way, the only absolute way that this country is going to get out of any kind of a hard time with tariffs, we have to develop our own country. We are get to do that.
Speaker 2: Greg, Greg, I hate to do this to you, but I've gone way too long, not as long as they did with John. Please keep me posted. Who's going to win the race for Prime Minister's Carnie is shoeing.
Speaker 6: I don't think so. I think Paul's gonna pull it out.
Speaker 2: All right. Well, that's gonna be interesting too. I do got a run. Please call more often and I'll give you more time.
Speaker 6: Okay, sounds good.
Speaker 2: I really need you as as a Canadian point of view on my program, and I mean that honestly. Thank you very much, appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Okay, all right, good night.
Speaker 2: It's gonna take a quick break. I'm gonna try to get Tim Patrick, Rob and Tom all in. We can do it if everybody cooperates.
Speaker 1: Back on Night Side, It's night Side, Boston's News. Ready to go.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're gonna do a very quick round here. We're gonna try to get five. I don't think I'll get five, but we're gonna try. Robin Medford go ahead, Rob, set the pace again.
Speaker 9: Outside, I'll try to get a couple of points. And Uh, Rome wasn't built in a day. You got to give these tariffs a chance to take effect. Some of these people may cave in and all these hypothetical situations.
Speaker 10: Uh, you don't have to worry.
Speaker 9: About your game boards. Uh, the price of eggs came the price of eggs came down, didn't it. You know, Rome wasn't built in the day. These things are gonna are gonna take their course, and they may may become much quicker. I feel like America has been going into the into the school yard, and we'll be getting our lunch money stolen all these years and again, and now finally we've got somebody to stick up for us. And and Papa Bear is gonna let us keep our lunch money. It was like, who made these tariffs is like politicians put it, put it on us so they could be popular, and they give our money away.
Speaker 2: Let's let's let's keep our bunch lunch money and figure out how to produce checkerboards.
Speaker 9: That'll be our slow is the mother of invention. The director will find a way to make aluminum here and build game boards and so he can stay home and pot ashes plants.
Speaker 2: All right, doctor Larry, Great, great job, Great, that was quick. Let's keep rolling. Gonna go to Tom in dor Chester. Tom, I'm prouting on you, Tom. Go ahead.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 10: And that's why Donald Trump wants tax cuts. The tax cuts will offset these tariffs. I'm telling you, task cuts will get the economy going more, and we'll be all pay for these tariffs we have to pay. And plus these people, if you put the tariff on him, neill cut their places. That's what they always do. China cuts his prices, so you don't pay that much more at all. All right, we get the tax cuts. We're all set, Dan.
Speaker 2: All right, Tom, you very much. Dan, appreciate your brevity. Thank you, Tim and Wilburn. Tim, you gotta be quick for me.
Speaker 11: Go ahead, Tim, Hi, Dan. I hope uh Trump succeeds because I voted from him.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a good reason to route and also root for him as if he succeeds the country to do better. I'm afraid that he might be biting off more than get you. Time will tell.
Speaker 11: Time, lottel Any, I got your T shirt you sent me. It says a gift mess Tim Ray, your Knight side T shirt, probably in woven. All the best, Dan, Ray, you got it.
Speaker 2: You got it. That's what I wrote, and I meant it. Thanks Jim.
Speaker 11: Fiat Renault. He's on the twenty seventh of April, looking.
Speaker 2: Forward, looking forward to it. That'll be great, Thanks Jim. Thanks so much. We'll talk soon.
Speaker 11: Okay, thank you, good night.
Speaker 2: Let's get Patrick. Patrick, you got to be quick for me. I got one more I want to try to get in.
Speaker 8: Go ahead, Patrick, Yeah, no problem. Hey, that guy with the bull games and no offense to their guy loves have him had the opportunity to defend himself, But it just shows like the lack of the lack of understanding of what we're really talking about. We're talking about the loss of critical industry. We're talking about the loss of steel manufacturing. We're talking about the loss of pharmaceutical manufacturers. Dan, when you grew up, I mean, my dad came home from World War Two, we went to work with Bethlehem steel building ships. How many ships are built in Boston anymore?
Speaker 6: Dan?
Speaker 2: None?
Speaker 4: None?
Speaker 8: How many thousands of working guys with union jobs making fifty bucks an hour would that have been if they were still built? And they're all built in China and South Korea? Now, American politicians, let that happen. Bringing us back to our feet is going to involve a little bit of pain, but in the end it's going to be worth.
Speaker 2: It, all right, Well said, Well said Patrick. Thank you. I'm going to get one more in, buddy. We'll talk soon, Okay, I owe you more time next time. Thank you. Andrew in Gloucester, Andrew, everybody is giving you about a minute. Go ahead, Andrew. Oh boys, if Andrew's not there, put them on hold. If you find him great, we'll give him about thirty seconds. Andrew, I got to tell you if that that really bothers me, that somebody would call in late and then either be so callous that they don't follow Rob's instructions and they're listening to the radio and then they hang up. To those who I kind of changed at the end, I apologize. I was trying to get five people in Robin Medford, Tom in Dorchester, Tim and Wooburn and Patrick and Charlestown. All of them gave up some time to accommodate Andrew and Andrew. You'll let them all down so we'll remember that next time you call Andrew. That's for sure. My thanks to all the callers, specifically Rob, Tom, Tim and Patrick in the last few minutes. They were all great. They were succeeded, and they got right to the point. See who this is. If this happens to be this guy Kellen callin back, I'll be real interested. I will thank Rob Brooks, I will thank Meda. I will thank Josh Kraft, candidate for mayor in Boston. You can find him pretty easily at Josh from Boston dot com. I will also thank Professor Greg Staller of the Question School of Business at Boston University. I'll be on Facebook in pretty quick time here, maybe about I don't know. I'd say about two minutes, and I will end as always again, I want to thank everybody who called in tonight, but not Andrew from Gloucester who stole time from other people. Done for the night. I'm going to be on Facebook in about I don't know, two minutes. All dogs, all cats, all pets go to heaven. That's my pal Charlie Raids, who passed fifteen years ago in February. That's why all your pets are who passed. They loved you when you love them. I do believe you'll see them again. Hope to see again on nightside. Have a great Friday everyone, tgif will be back tomorrow night, I guarantee it. We'll have some interesting topics tomorrow and we'll have a great twentieth hour before you stay with us. Thanks for your support and your loyalty. Tonight's side, my name is Dan Ray. Sleep well everyone,