Speaker 1: Channel nine Weather forecast. It's going to be hot today, a high of ninety, feeling more like upper nineties because in addition to the sunny skies, it's going to be very humid, plus isolated showers are possible Tonight, clear skies, seventy one for the low, Tomorrow ninety one for the high. Start out Sunday, but apparently afternoon showers and storms may roll in. Cloudy overnight. It'll also be muggy with a low of seventy and you can expect some rain on Sunday. Otherwise, just a partly cloudy day and a high of eighty eight seventy four degrees. Right now, let's get a traffic update from the.
Speaker 2: Uce Health Traffic Center. You See Health has expert traumacare focusing on prevention, treating injuries, and supporting long term recovery and rehabilitation. Learn more at u seehealth dot com. An accident and I seventy five NORTHBOUNDE. Kyle's lane blocks the right lane and we'll have you slow from Dixie Highway. You're also slow due to heavy traffic. I seventy five southbound between Galberth Road and Paddock Road, and there is a stall on two seventy five eastbound of Princeton Pike. If that blocks your left lane, let's go on fifty five KRC the talk station.
Speaker 1: Hey, twenty nine and fifty five carcd talk station and hope you're having a very happy Friday. Tech frid of a Dave Hatter Podcast fifty five CARC dot com. If you can't listen live, also on the podcast page. My next conversation we'll be posted after the show. Welcome back to the fifty five CARC Morning Show. Editor in chief for the Ohio Press Network, Jack Windsor, Jack, it's a pleasure to have you on the program this morning.
Speaker 3: Hey, it's honored to be here. Thank you for choosing me.
Speaker 1: Always enjoyed, happy, looking forward to your insight on these important matters. Let's talk about the veto overrides. I was scratching my head. What does Governor de Wine have against some small steps in the right direction of providing the property owners here in the state of Ohio with some property retax relief. Of the sixty plus vetos, he singled out three of the ones that were related to a step in the right direction for property tax relief. Now we can talk about the specifics of them. But these were a consequence of a lot of study groups and efforts and work over the years to hopefully come up with a solution to get this onerous property tax bill off our back. So this has been widely discussed and these things were ferreted out, and he vetos them and says, no, we need to talk about this more. What's your take on this, Jack, what's he got against property tax relief?
Speaker 4: Well, you know my take on it is he loves power, he loves control, and he loves things done his way. I guess what I scratched my head at was many of the property tax provisions that were placed in that biennial budget were actually the result of over a year of research and investigation by lawmakers and hundreds of hours. Yeah, so what they what they put in the bill was already the productice of a work group. And then DeWine comes out and says, well, you know, I think what we need to do is take a closer look at this. I'm going to create a work group. And he's done just that. So he has already started that process of creating a work group. You know, to me, it signals and listen, any one who follows me on social media. Anyone who's followed by reporting on Governor Mike Dwine, I call balls and strikes no matter who the person. But when it comes to Governor Mike Dwine, I usually I don't mince words. And this is just a guy that I think is out of touch. I've never seen property owners here in the Buckeye State as livid as they are right now, and rightfully so. I talked to a man yesterday who has seen a thirty nine percent increase in his latest property tax bill, and he explains to me what many of us already understand, which is great.
Speaker 3: The value of my house.
Speaker 4: Went up almost forty percent, but I didn't sell it right and now I have to pay the difference in cash.
Speaker 1: It's an unrealized gain. Your house is only worth what you can sell it for on the open market at the day of the sale, close period, end of story. They could tell you all day long your house is worth eight hundred thousand dollars, but if no one out there is willing to spend more than six hundred celebi, are you going to stay? It's unrealized gains.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, it seems to me that we could be testing that in the courts. How can you tax me on an unrealized value?
Speaker 4: I mean, that is it certainly seems unfair, and I think that strikes at the heart of what lawmakers tried to do with property taxes. And by the way, I have to be the first to admit our tax structure in Ohio, particularly when you start looking at property taxes, it's a it's a mass. I mean, it's really hard to understand. And I think the part of the effort, part of the victory that lawmakers tried to celebrate when getting this budget over the finish line, was they were going to simplify the property tax code all all the different types of levees that schools go out for. It can be very it can be very confusing. For example, there are districts that go out and and they'll declare it an emergency levee, and as a voter, you go, oh, well, that sounds is better.
Speaker 3: We better approve that one or else, right.
Speaker 4: But unfortunately, what we found out through the vetting of this uh these property tax provisions, there was one school district that was in an emergency levee position for twenty years. And the question is what kind of an emergency is it if for twenty years it's you know, it's a persistent issue. And so part of what this, uh, this language tries to do was really dumb down the tax code. And so if you're a school district, you know they're saying there are only two types of levees and we're gonna be very clear about what those are, right and here they are, and uh, I think it takes away a lot of confusion for voters. But I digress. I probably need to come back up and not so far in the weeds there.
Speaker 1: No, that's okay, because what was it the cap If you didn't spend over forty percent of the prior year's budget, you couldn't ask for a levey. I mean, is that kind of what it boiled down to into the provision that he vetoed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So what we've seen is and I talked to State Senator Andrew Brenner on this earlier in the week, and I'm going to give you numbers that are not precise. So let's just take this for what it is. But say a decade ago, schools carried over maybe ten to eleven percent. That number has ballooned in terms of percentage, it's well over forty percent. And schools were carrying about ten and a half billion dollars in extra cash in the past couple of years, and so lawmakers said, well, listen, if you're carrying that much cash and property owners are struggling to pay their property tax bills, what we might want to take a look at is giving these local authorities, these local commissions, the opportunity to say, Okay, if you have cash in excess of forty percent of your operating budget, we're going to return that to taxpayers who are struggling to pay the tax bills.
Speaker 3: And that that is what got shot down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it seems like a very logical and reasonable step in the right direction. So I understand they're bringing back the lawmakers to override the three specific property tax related provisions to wine vitoed Jack your tea leaf. Prediction on the success of that effort.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, the one that they're not certain about is that forty percent cap, But I think the other the other three are are pretty significant. One of them is making sure that the twenty mili floor calculation is changed. And without getting too confusing there, what's happening now is schools are going outside of what they could get at the you know, the baseline two percent and creating these other operating levees, and so lawmakers are going, now, we're going to include all of that into calculation to eliminate this type of confusion. I think I think the three other than the forty percent cap on carry over money, I think they will pass. The twenty first is the target date for the House members to return. The Senate is still working on a date to return, but because it is a House bill, it has to originate the override vote and effort that is has to originate in the House, So that will happen on the twenty first, and I expect the Senate we'll see probably sometime later in July, if not early August. The challenge they're running into, I understand, is a lot of lawmakers, as you know, they have second jobs and or they have families, and this is the time of year that they schedule vacations, and because they need three fifths vote approval, you want to make sure you get all the lawmakers back, and I think in the Senate that equates to about twenty two votes. So they're going to make sure that they have all the lawmakers back that are going to vote in favor of overriding the veto.
Speaker 3: So it'll be just a little later for the Senate.
Speaker 1: All right, fair enough, And they have a window of opportunity that goes beyond the summer break period. So if they can't get that the cats herded before then they could bring them back maybe in September or something and address it at that point. Jack Windsor from the Ohio Press Network editor in chief, will bring you back. And I was mentioning earlier in the program. I've said it a couple of times. What a great ideal opportunity. Since you now have to, if you're able body, you now have to work at least twenty hours or get education at least twenty hours a week to continue Medicaid benefits. What a perfect time to do that because there are an abundance of job opportunities available for folks out there. Let's continue with Jack after these brief words.
Speaker 3: Fifty five KRC.
Speaker 1: Here's what's trending. Now, here's what Channel nine says about the weather. A sunny day for the most part, hot and very human isolated showers possible later today. You I have ninety feeling more like the upper nineties with the heat index clear every night down to seventy one Mars high ninety one with afternoon showers of storms possible on the heels of a sunny start of the day. Mostly cloudy every night, muggy and seventy and you should expect rain on Sunday. Definitely going to get partly cloudy skies beyond the rain. Eighty eight for the high seventy five right now now on time for.
Speaker 2: Traffic from the UC Health Traffic Center. U See Health has expert traumacare focusing on prevention and treating injuries and supporting long term recovery and rehabilitation. Learn more at u seehealth dot com. We have a saul on two seventy five eastbound of Princeton Pike. It is blocking your left lane though, so plan four delays. Also on I seventy five north, been at Kyle's Lane. There's an accident in the right lane and traffic here is slow from Dixie Highway. I'm Heather Pasco on fifty five KRC the talks station.
Speaker 1: Coming up I eighty forty one fifty five KRCD talk station Brian Thomas with the editor in chief of the Io Press Network. You can follow them on social media Ohio Press Network. It's Jack Windsor, returning to the fifty five KRC Morning Show talking about budget line item vetos from the governor in the last segment and pivoting over to Ohio and the amount of jobs that are available. Sadly though, Hi, according to the reporting from the High Press Network, Ohio's unemployment rate, Jack is the ninth worst in there. And that's a statement in an article talking about small business owners clamoring to find qualified employees and having a desperate search to find those employees to fill the jobs that are available. Our employ our labor participantation rate does not have to be this low, and if those jobs are out there, we can improve that number of people just got up and started applying for jobs, couldn't we?
Speaker 4: It sure seems that way. And so I'm on both sides of the aisle here, one as a reporter and to my wife and I have several small businesses that we operate, and so we're living this. Four point nine percent was the stated unemployment rate in Ohio the last iteration of numbers that we received. As you mentioned, it's not good compared to other states. But what's really interesting is that unemployment is high and in businesses, small businesses, and that's the distinction. Small businesses are concerned at about two percentage points higher than they were last survey cycle on this so and and by the way, you know, there are a lot of businesses that operate and you can think of what they are during the summer, and so there's an increase in need for employees. So it might not be that uncommon for smaller companies to try to hire more. But I think there's something going on in the workforce still. I always contend, and I hate to beat this drum to death, I always contend that there's a certain amount of people that became brain broken during COVID, and we see that in the in the in the job market, and it's a lot more of a fickle job market than I've seen in a while. But it's it's certainly a struggle for small businesses to find employ and keep good employees well.
Speaker 1: And you know, I have a thirty two year old son, and I've heard this anecdotal stories and observations that he's passed along to me about the age group and their mentality toward workforce. They don't have any loyalty to know at all, and you know they'll walk off a job without even giving notice if they find out what they proceed to be a better opportunity. They're just up and gone. They don't feel like they need gave you a two weeks notice. They won't even call back if you get an interview opportunity. It's just like they ghost the employer who's reaching out to them because they submitted a resume. It's a really weird he mentioned fickle. But it's just the concept of loyalty and desire to do hard work, even if for the sake of work, it just doesn't It doesn't exist anymore, at least it appears.
Speaker 4: So well, Yeah, there is a very interesting dynamic, and I'm probably gonna reveal how old I am here and you and I might be the same on as Brian. When I was younger and I was looking for a job, I put on a dagum suit and yeah, I printed out resumes and I walked into places and said, hi, I'm Jack winsor here's what I've done.
Speaker 3: Do you have an opening?
Speaker 4: You know, you don't see that stuff anymore now, part of it is technology has advanced, and I get that, but you know, there's there's two things that I think I've seen in in in the workforce that I haven't seen, you know before, now that I'm really starting to notice. And one of the things you just said is that there is no loyalty and you know, for a few dollars more.
Speaker 3: Right. But here's the other thing that I'm seeing.
Speaker 4: And maybe it's because workers are more in charge now, maybe they have more choices, maybe they have more options. But what I see is we you know, we have several employees who have multiple jobs. So instead of certainly there are people who are unemployed, and then and then you have people who work two or three jobs. And so if you're one of those employers, now you're competing not only further off time, but you're competing for maybe they could work with that other job for fifty cents you know, more an hour, I don't know. And so once in a while we'll call people and say, hey, so and so called off, can you show up, Ah, I've got my second job. Let me let me call and see if I can you know, go in later there or whatever. And so, you know, there are just there's just weirder dynamics in the job market than I've seen in part of it. I'm going to go back to you as I think we became very accustomed to sitting on our smartphones and watching wine with the wine at two o'clock, and a lot of people just like to stay on the couch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I certainly see that myself, and I can't let this go without saying I wanted to go back to the budget and get your reaction because I think I know where it's going to be the money for the Cleveland Browns, and that's the subject of litigation. I talked to the lead attorney at the Dan Law firm who's launched this legal challenge, and I think he is going to be met with wild success and I see him getting summary judgment on it. Because this is a taking of private property for the use of going to another private entity, in this particular case, the owner of the family. That's unconstitutional. I don't care how the budget reads. You can't trump the constitutional reality of the countless cases that have said you can't do that, so maybe it'll get overturned, But the simple concept of doing it, Jack, who is it that that family has pictures of that allowed them to get six hundred million dollars for a private sports stadium. I mean, it just drives me out of my mind.
Speaker 3: Jack.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I could probably get on my soapbox for twenty minutes.
Speaker 3: Here there are sixty seven line item vetos.
Speaker 4: Some of them I scratch my head, like keeping library books that have pornographic material or gender transition stuff within the line of side of children and dwine over riding that veto.
Speaker 3: I don't get it.
Speaker 1: I don't either.
Speaker 4: I don't get keeping money for homeless shelters that socially transitioned kids.
Speaker 3: I don't get it. I don't support it.
Speaker 4: But the one that I think the optics are terrible on is you're skating. You're kicking the can down the road. On property tax reform. Yeah, people are losing their homes, Brian. They're losing their homes, homes that they've paid for. But because you know they're on a fixed income or whatever, they can't they're going to lose a home. But we're going to give six hundred million dollars to the Cleveland Browns. This is tone deafness at its peak in my opinion. And I joke and and and Brian, maybe you can join me in this. I would argue you and I provide much more of a public service than the Cleveland clowns.
Speaker 3: Where's our millions? And then where's the line in the sand.
Speaker 4: When do you say, no, we can't give it to that private business, but we can give it to this private business.
Speaker 3: I think it looks awful.
Speaker 1: It looks awful. And you're a small business owner. Was there a line forming around the block in the state House that said this is where you stand in line to put your hand in the cookie jar?
Speaker 3: No, well and listen, Oh go ahead, Sorry, No, just making the point.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's clearly the brown said they're footing the door. They had an in road. They're obviously very politically well connected. They've got a lot of campaign money to throw around. They're going to get the money. Everybody else will suck on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's just it. And and and frankly, I think there's a common thread here.
Speaker 4: We just talked about unemployment in small businesses being concerned.
Speaker 3: You know who's not concerned?
Speaker 4: Intel Anderill Right, the state is very happy to help those bigger companies. And if you're the Cleveland Browns and the haslems that they're willing to help you, but there are a lot of mom and pop companies out there that could certainly use some help.
Speaker 3: And so that's all I'm going to say about that.
Speaker 4: But I just think, listen, I grew up a Browns fan, so obviously I'm patient and I know what heartache is. But I just don't give money to a private enterprise to build a stadium. And by the way, it's not the first time we've seen this movie, Brian. We know that the promises that these families and these companies, these sports teams make at the front end, they're never fulfilled on the back end. Never, they always overestimate and underdeliver. I don't know we should not be shocked when this is the case here.
Speaker 1: I think there have been studies. There's no singles a stadium out there that has generated the return on investment that's promised up front, and then after the project is built you realize that no, maybe not, but it's too late that by that point, Jack Windsor, You're always welcome on the fifty five Carsy Morning Show. I appreciate your insights, your comments, your thoughts, and enjoy reading what you and the other folks at the Ohio Press Network right about. It's online.
Speaker 3: You can find it, folks.
Speaker 1: I will recommend it the ohiopressnetwork dot com.
Speaker 3: Jack.
Speaker 1: I look forward to having it back on the program real soon. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. My friend you tube, Brian, thanks for having me. Take care. It's eight forty nine at fifty five car Se the talk station. A couple of minutes left we get back.
Speaker 3: Hope you stick around fifty five KRC. Did you know even the smallest thing