Speaker 1: Joe Escalante live from Hollywood by hollymoend you you mean Burbank across the street from a Wiener Snitzel that sells beer. And we are in the studio today. I've got engineer Sam Is here.
Speaker 2: Hello, Sam, Hello, it's nice seeing you physically here.
Speaker 1: Producer Nikki, I have to push her button for her.
Speaker 3: Oh do you button?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's an engineer.
Speaker 2: It should be around you.
Speaker 1: But if a look for the button, that's how we're starting.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Anyway, this is two hours of the business end of show business. We do it every Sunday here on k E I B eleven on your AM dial. And let's see. We got all kinds of stuff going on right now. Actually, I got to make sure I have all my stuff because I forgot my glasses. They're in the car. But I still go. And this period that we're in right now, it's Awards season, it's Oscar. Nominees are getting digested, and with ten movies, you got to really digest them. You can't just start talking about them as soon as they're nominated. Because there's a bunch of stuff here, like I never heard of that. We've got the Grammys going on as we speak and but January, which is usually where they dump bad movies and we just kind of wait for the awards. There's some surprises out there right now.
Speaker 2: Are we getting like audience noise from the Grammy party right now?
Speaker 3: Is that what's happening?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I have the Grammys. Oh we are at the Grammys.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh my god, we're there.
Speaker 1: We are live at the Grammys. Right here on Everything looks good so far. Who is that over there? Is that Tupac?
Speaker 2: It's the Hologram. They invited the Hologram onto the red carpet this year.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know that AI has been a little hot topic, so it's really sweet for them to okay it.
Speaker 1: I turned it off, but can you still hear it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're good.
Speaker 1: I hear something where? Okay? Anyways, the Grammys. I don't know if anybody here knows anything about the Grammys, but to me, it's the worst that television has to offer. It's prob I mean, I realize they have to have it, and they got a wonderful Grammy museum. They're giving out awards people and it helps their careers, But the product that ends up on television, to me, is about the worst thing on on on any channel throughout the whole year, so I don't I just never watch it. I watch the Academy Awards, that's the Granddaddy of all Academy of All Awards shows. And I watched the Daytime Emmys because the Daytime Emmys is full of clips from shows you never see, would never see it in a million years, like the best soap opa scenes of the year. I mean, that's a good time to tune in.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I tuned out the second the Cable Ace Awards vanished.
Speaker 1: Well, the Cable Ace Awards, that's a sad story too. I actually end up with the kids the Industry Dance Awards every year at the the what's it called the Avalon now, I know what you're talking about. And I end up there because I'm in the relatives in the dance and I was dating Jojo for a while before before I got married. No Jojo jokes here, not which I was telling jokes, so uh, she's not really was barking up the own tree. Okay, that's not true, all right, you guys. And then we have the so we're gonna go over the the nominees for Best Picture Okay, I got a lot of stories. I got some good stuff here, but I'm gonna start right away with the nominees for Best Picture. I've seen a couple of them and I can help you out Number one on Nora, is anyone here in the seen it?
Speaker 3: It's on my to do list?
Speaker 1: How about you, Sam? I haven't anyways? Directed by Sean Baker, one of my favorite directors because he directed a work of genius called Florida Project. Right there we go.
Speaker 3: I saw that film years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a great movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then Honora is his new movie. Most of his movies deal with sex workers. This one no different. The Brutalist saw it today.
Speaker 2: Sex workers. You say, there's some.
Speaker 1: Sex workers in The Brutalist too. Sex walker sex welca? Is that your Hungarian sex welka? That's my Australian accent? Okay, sure, sex walk thank you? Sex walkup? Okay. The Brutalist has sex walkers.
Speaker 2: And Australian phobia.
Speaker 1: And that movie is about It's the one with Adien Brody plays a Brutalist architect and it's three hours and forty minutes. I mean, I'm like, is a major achievement in motion pictures. It's a major and I the but at some times I'm like, okay, all right, I get it. Who cares? I don't really care that much. So it wasn't like like a Nora A great movie, Brutalist I got, I get it. Good for you, you made a great movie. I guess. I don't know. So I could. You could watch The Brutalist and you could love it, or you could say so I don't want I'm not like highly recommending it, but I will tell you something interesting about The Brutalist. I'm gonna tell you there is some I don't know if I should go through. I'm just gonna keep going through the list because I'll talk a little bit more about The Brutalist later. How's that sweet? I think people want to hear all the ten movies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, let's do that first.
Speaker 1: They don't want me to just get all bogged down. Okay, so a complete unknown that is the Bob Dylan Dylan movies, pretty good biopic until I saw Better Man. Then I was like, okay, just don't even try to make a biopick because better Man is the new standard.
Speaker 3: It's the best Man.
Speaker 1: Yes, so don't try. If I made a complete unknown, and I went to see the The Better Man, like I just quit filmmaking.
Speaker 3: It would be completely unknown. You never would I've seen it.
Speaker 2: At what point do we get to ten nominees?
Speaker 1: Well, because okay, this is a good question. They do it so they can broaden out the nominees and they can kind of get some blockbusters in there maybe and get more people to watch the Oscars. The more the more movies that are nominated for Best Picture, the more people will be interested and they'll get higher ratings at the Oscar telecast. But they're you know, you know how these people are. They just eat their own so they don't know what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Well, and I just see all of these movies. Oh, these are all the nominees, and everybody likes goes out of their way to try to see him. I remember I went and used to catch as any of the nominees as possible. And now I look at it and I'm like, I can't see all of these movies.
Speaker 1: Because you're not the host here. You're not the host of this, Joe. I have to see all these movies.
Speaker 2: I know, and that's why the show's got your name on it.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the other one is number four is Conclave. Another like, you know, a well made movie, a complete heresy.
Speaker 2: That's a nominee.
Speaker 1: Conclave really yeah yeah Wow Dune Part two, that's you know that. I like that movie so much. I thought the story was so good. I woke up twice too, I could so I can follow the plot. That's someone else's joke. I'm going to keep saying. It's Amelia Perez, possibly the worst movie ever made.
Speaker 3: I want to see it because I love to hate.
Speaker 1: This is not since Cats.
Speaker 3: No, okay, Kats is super good if you're under the influence. It actually makes matter.
Speaker 1: Doesn't have any beauty in it, though Cats has beauty.
Speaker 3: Kats is a documentary of yours sound.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it has beauty in it and has beautiful people in it. This one not so much. I'm Still here, which nobody knows what the that's the director like like talking somewhere going I'm still here. I made this movie ptnominated for an Oscar Nickel Boys also same thing. I don't know who knows the substance. That's a good movie.
Speaker 3: I wanted to win just because I'm biased and I love it.
Speaker 1: And because the last thirty minutes are like a horror film for that you would normally go see on its own, exactly Wicked. Only three people walked out of that movie when I went to see it, and there was in front of me, and I was in the fourth row.
Speaker 3: Well because there were only four people there, No.
Speaker 1: It was full, but three people walked out in front of me, and then whoever behind me. I have to like just kind of by doing the math, you would say like maybe seven or eight people walked out. But again another achievement. There were a lot of good movies this year. A lot of them didn't didn't make this list. So let's go back. Is it time to take a break.
Speaker 2: Let's take a break.
Speaker 1: Let's take a break. When we come back, I'll tell you something interesting about the Brutalist now that I've read, Now that I've read this whole list and digested it, Brutalist is the best picture of the year. I mean, Honora is my favorite.
Speaker 3: Congratulations to the Brutalist. This is the leaked Grammy take. You only get it on this radio show.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is. It has one, so you've heard it here. Joe'scalante Live from Hollywood. Back after this, Joe'scalante Live from Hollywood. What Hollywood you mean Burdbank And yes, I'm watching the Red Carpet for the the Grammy. Shakira is walking by and she looks fantastic. But as I said, I don't go to watch that. And maybe for the first time, I'm not going to watch the Oscars. Really maybe for the first time.
Speaker 2: What do you do? You have alternate plan?
Speaker 3: Do you have anything better to do?
Speaker 1: When is it?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm not paying attention.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: They happened pretty sure, Nikki. Can you find out when it is? I'll tell you what else I'm taking type Okay.
Speaker 2: You're already scheduling that you're not going to be doing anything else.
Speaker 1: I mean when you lose Joe Ascalante, host of Joe Scalante Live from Hollywood, you did something.
Speaker 3: Well, it looks like it looks like it's actually on the day that I definitely have something else to do, like a doctor's appointment or something at a Sunday March second, it looks like I'm busy. Actually that day.
Speaker 1: It's n that's my twenty ninth winning anniversary.
Speaker 3: Is it true you are busy? You cannot be watching you.
Speaker 1: And I'm flying home from Brazil that day. I think, no, I'm flying home from New York that day, and I don't care.
Speaker 3: I'll watch it for you all. Report back on the taxi outfits.
Speaker 1: We'll see. Okay, So The Brutalist, which I think will win Best Picture, And it's very interesting. They have this like weird way they made it whatever. You know, it's like a VistaVision. It's like some long dormant super high definition widescreen format. You might have seen it in all movies you see VistaVision on the screen, like maybe like Giant starring Elizabeth Taylor and James Dean in VistaVision. I mean, there's some epic movies made, so use that. And it's filmed in a seventy milimeter or released in seventy milimeter prints, filmed in this division, released in these seventy millimeter Prince and Corbett the director, so he's kind of turned himself into some kind of culture warrior by doing it this old school away. And that's how you made a big splash in Venice, winning the Silver Lion Award and a US distribution deal for this thing. And and you know, it's kind of like a laborious process where they have to inventory a bulky twenty six film canisters. They have to transport around three hundred about three hundred pounds of celluloid into the theater just to show it.
Speaker 3: The labor for the art that was so awesome. Of course, that's epic clout for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I love it because at the beginning of the digital revolution, I myself direct directed a film and I rejected the digital revolution going on, and I shot it in sixteen and thirty five millimeter and boy was it a hassle. Wow, I mean I had to I had to go and buy the reels of film at Kodak would be like almost seventy five dollars of each or something. I forgot what they were and I'd go buy twenty minutes reels.
Speaker 2: So I put together one of those rigs that Tommy was so did for the room.
Speaker 1: He's a dirty name in my industry. So yeah, and then I had to you know, then I had to record all the audio on a naugraa the real to real thing. Then I had to digitize the naga. Then I had to digitize the First I had to tell us any the film. Then I had to digitize it. After I got it, you know, tell us in and then I had to put it all on a computer so that I could use non linear editing, and I made a making of the making of this movie. Movie was called Cakeboy. The making of is so much more interesting than the movie. But anyway, so I love that this guy did this, so he better win Best Director. The problem with the Oscars this year, and I think it's, you know, obvious, most people are saying, is they gave thirteen nominations to a movie called Amelia Perez. That is a movie that I have not met one person besides my weird sister. Who is who has made it all the way through to the end of the movie.
Speaker 3: Why did your weird sisters stay?
Speaker 1: He's weird? Okay, every family has one, sure, you know out of seven kids?
Speaker 3: Okay that yeah, you know what, that'll do a lot.
Speaker 1: She's this eccentric, she's her own person. And she just called me and said, I saw the greatest movie in the world. It's called me. Well she's called it Perez, but I think it's Petz. But but if you're if you're acting in the movie, you're gonna pronounce it wrong no matter what. Because that's one of the problems with this movie. There's a bunch of people speaking Spanish that have fake accents. Nice, and and then it's not going over well with Mexican audiences. It's directed by a French person and the trans world it's about a trans character. The trans world is not happy about it. Wow, look at that the transfer. The trans people are like, Hey, do you think that's what trans is? For a cartel? This story is about this cartel guy who gets a sex change operation, you know, to change his identity and hide or whatever. And is that what you think trans is? It's for people to change your identity to avoid a crime.
Speaker 3: Gotta say, the premise sounds like something so up my alley, though, Holy cow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you're gonna like it because I told you how bad it was. You're gonna invite your friends over and you're gonna get drunk or whatever, and you're gonna have a good time.
Speaker 3: All of my friends who have reviewed it on letterbox just kind of say, I'm sort of confused, and I always like the review. I'm like, perfect, it sounds like it's good for me.
Speaker 1: And my letterbox review was I didn't hate this movie just because everyone else did. I hated it because it's terrible.
Speaker 3: I just liked it. It's so good.
Speaker 1: No, I hated it and it was awful. And then, okay, thirteen nominations. So it's not real because it's not a movie worthy of thirteen nominations. There's a lot of good movies out there. You could spread them around, you know. Yeah, but you don't because you give all thirteen to this movie because you're trying to make a statement.
Speaker 3: So if they do bad Spanish accents in this movie, they get thirteen nominations. And when I do it, I can't go to my boyfriend's Thanksgiving anymore, got it right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's not fair to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, not at all. I've been working really hard and practicing.
Speaker 1: I don't know how to Oh, okay, you know how you can get your pronunciation down? I have. I have actually a technique. There is one hundred percent full proof.
Speaker 3: He means they will forgot it. What was the tip?
Speaker 1: No, here's what you do. Okay, okay, you pray the rosary every day, okay, but you pray it in an exaggerated Mexican accent like you are in you know, you're in the movie Nacho Libra or something like.
Speaker 3: This would be such a funny bit for my roommates to walk in on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're sitting there in your salve Maria Gratias, senor gondigo, benitatis, let's mohis and beditas a fruit Jesus, and you just you become this character. And then what you're doing is you're exercising these muscles in your mouth, because pronunciation is all about muscles you don't usually exercise. And when you're doing this over and over and and the you know, the rosary involves uh, you know, fifty hailman and five are fathers and some other stuff, but it's repetition and you you are exercising those muscles as part of an exercise uh indiction and elocution. And by the after a few weeks, you will have exercised all those muscles. And then when you read Spanish, you'll read it perfectly and you will be that much closer to go in heaven. So let's let's take a break. But it's Spanish heaven, so things are cheaper, but I'll get okay. Uh, we will take a break and come back with more. Joe Sclante Live Joe'scalante Life from Hollywood.
Speaker 3: That was quite good.
Speaker 1: Joe Scalante Live from Hollywood by Hollywood You mean purd Bank. All right, the Grammy's still going on. Uh, not watching them, but Sam brought up something. What were you offended by?
Speaker 2: There's ninety four separate awards given out at the Grammys this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's down. That's down from one hundred and eighty. I'm guarantee you. They have like three different categories of Hawaiian music.
Speaker 2: That they have, like Best Immersive Audio Album.
Speaker 1: The one that go oh yeah, well, actually which one who nominated an Apostrophe by Frank Zappa because I went to that party?
Speaker 2: Yeah no, it's Io Hans Martin buff immersive mix engineer. Anyways, there's a bunch of other people and that were on that. But they had the Grammy for Best Album Notes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's okay or whatever. He's Here's my when I started to turn off is like they have like three different categories for Native Americans, like three different Hawaiian ones. There's like more than one polka category. There's this kind of polka in that kind of polka. Yet no category for punk rock. But I mean, okay, you're saying I have dedicated my life to punk rock. And it doesn't matter how successful I am. They wouldn't care if I live or die, so I don't care if they live or die.
Speaker 2: That's why you don't like the Grammys. And it makes sense, yes, but but then watch it. But no, I mean the album give.
Speaker 1: A spoken word? Did Jimmy Carter?
Speaker 3: That's right. It's like they can't even go to the freaking party gave away to the party.
Speaker 1: He gave away the Panama Canal and they gave him a spoken word reco kidding. I don't care if you give away the pun.
Speaker 2: Best best album notes Grammy is like having an Oscar for best end credits.
Speaker 3: Well, actually, people, they put a lot of work into that.
Speaker 2: Okay, credits, do we we need an Academy Award for best credits?
Speaker 1: You I get it to give heat Amelia Pennis just right away.
Speaker 3: Because he made it all the way.
Speaker 1: And that's honestly, anybody, anybody who watched the end credits for a million, they.
Speaker 3: Could have hit some major Marvel's spoilers in the Ilya Perez and credits. Nobody would have said to see them.
Speaker 2: I mean, the album notes were what used to people used to and like when they used to actually have vinyl where people used to like try to separate their weed from their sticks on.
Speaker 3: This is maybe it's more about the cardboard manufacturer.
Speaker 1: Now, well, I'm telling you that the it is a you know, started like like many things, as a common saying. They start out as a good cause, they uh degenerate into a business and it turns into a racket. And now it's a racket. You send out these, you know, to get nominated, you pay a fee. Uh to get to go further, you pay a fee. Uh to win a Grammy, you pay a fee, and they make a lot of money. But it does help a lot of people get more album sales and if and I think there is a certain group of musicians that are you know, trying to do the best they can and and doing like breaking out Like when when Taylor Swift you know, won her thing and then was it P Diddy that they told her or was.
Speaker 3: It kind of Kanye Kanye Kanye, Yeah, she.
Speaker 1: Went after party? Was was P Diddy? But on stage, Kanye, like that woman, Taylor Swift, you know, that really broke her out into the big time and you know, changed her career. I get it, but it's it's just I can't watch it, you know. So and then this year in the Oscars, they're going to be giving away, you know, every five minutes, you're gonna give away a Grammy to someone who to a movie that no one's seen, or at least they get, you know, and it's not even so much that they like. There are so many talented filmmakers that could just be announced and not win at the Academy Awards. You know, it would just be like like the guys in Kneecap, you know, Kneecap Best Foreign Film, should it should have been nominated. It's a more sincere movie than the fake Mexican accents of Amelia Petez. But it's Kneecaps nowhere to be seen, and it's a sincere movie with amazing songs in it. Amelia Petez has two songs nominated in the Best Song category, so they why not Why just give them one when you can give them two. So they're not spreading it around, They're trying to say, hey, I dare you to not like this movie. Y'all liked it and it's a terrible movie. So there and I feel really bad because we want the Oscars to be to get higher ratings. It's good for movies. They're they're affirmatively doing things to make the Oscars get low ratings. They're in the name of, you know, to progressive politics. They're they're saying you, I dare you not to like this movie about this Mexican trans woman. And if it was a good movie, hey, no one liked The Crying Game more than Joe's Galante. But this is not a good movie. So it's an insult to these people that are trying to help. And then they're gonna they're gonna destroy the Oscars, Like the Oscars next year will I mean, it'll probably be on YouTube. I mean how they go. If I'm at ABC, I'm not. I don't see how these ratings come in. But for the first time, I've been going like, I don't know, I don't need to see that. So it's every every one of the fourteen or thirteen nominations that movie got could have been a really good movie that we all saw and enjoyed and maybe we can't even think of it right now, but uh, and they all got thrown away in the name of making some statement. It's like it's that that's not how you fix the movie business?
Speaker 3: A statement and a bad accent? Also a statement.
Speaker 1: They made a statement in the bat and a bad accent, Sam, I see you over there? Lamenting over more categories. What do you got for the Grammys.
Speaker 2: Best Historical Album?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: See? That's what you do? Because it's not just who they give it to.
Speaker 2: It was Centennial. I don't know what that is. But Paul Robison was nominated in that category.
Speaker 1: What's he doing?
Speaker 3: Did he make the cough syrup?
Speaker 2: Paul? It's uh, I'll go well during the I'm not tuning in.
Speaker 1: I'm just telling you.
Speaker 3: How much of the how much of the Grammys is just standing around going oh, I didn't know that was that sounds good for him, you know, good for him.
Speaker 1: Good for wherever that is. Well, they don't chow those things on TV. They just show the the the big stars and then have big performances. And if you really like that rock and roll world, I guess it's okay. I mean the ratings are they're still better than than you know, most things.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the thing with with pop punk or rock. Is it really so pop punk if you're accepting a Grammy?
Speaker 1: Is it? I mean, they could try to nominate a punk rock record. Not you have a good point, but I your point is well taken. I don't want a Grammy, right, I'm too punk to accept it. But they have they don't want it either.
Speaker 3: You want them to want to nominate pop punk musicians.
Speaker 1: I want them to make a punk category and for me to scorn anybody who's nominated.
Speaker 3: That, you know, as a hater myself, I have the right to reject, yes, because that's punk rock.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's what I want.
Speaker 3: So you need something to rebel against it. So right now they're not giving you what kind of a wall to bounce off of, and honestly, shame on them because Joe Escalante could be shaming you, and that's great press to say you.
Speaker 1: Could be shamed by me. Yeah, but there could be. Like you know, I would rather Green Day win Best Punk Album than Best Rock Album. I would rather that. I would rather Pete Wentz when Best bass Player or something like that than then they don't have they Why don't they have a bass player nominees?
Speaker 3: May are they getting real specific? You know what?
Speaker 1: You know, Donald Trump should make a spoken word next year. Next year nominating go through the process.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that goes I have a question. What's the difference between Best Global Music and Best Tropical Latin Album and Best Music on Mexicana Album Bigger Than and Best African Music Performance. What there? What is best Global?
Speaker 1: It just means that's somebody from a particular group guilted them into making another catalog. And mind you look at all those Latin nominations there there is a separate Latin Grammys.
Speaker 2: Well, but this is the thing.
Speaker 1: They already have their own.
Speaker 2: They have separate Latin Grammys. I know that. But they have like Best Latin Performance and Best Mekanover Performance and then within the Best Global Performance is one called Historias de un Flamenco by Antonio Rey.
Speaker 3: Well, wouldn't that be great?
Speaker 2: Where shouldn't that be in one of the others.
Speaker 1: That's I'm telling you, it's it's. It's it's it's I'd hate to be them. It's hard to be on the Academy. And I'm gonna say something nice about these people. It's hard to be in the Academy. I know a guy who's in the Academy for the Motion Pictures in charge of the Grammys or charge of the Oscars, and I mean that's that's a that's a hard job to take. But somebody's asleep at the wheel there this year. Because this is the year when you're supposed to try to save movies by making ratings go up the Grammys, that just seems like a political mess. So uh uh, you know, the better than than That's what I'm saying, better than than me. I don't want to be a part of that.
Speaker 2: Chila E and Gloria estephon One for Best Global Music Performance for ben Baco Laura.
Speaker 1: That was a block poster. Yeah, okay, well let's take let's take a break, and then when we come back, I am going to tell you.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Oh, well, we'll go over the box office. But I had a to trust me. I'm sixty two years old. Now, I'm like Joe Biden, and I had something really good and I forgot it. But when I come back, I'm going to remember it because I got a commercial break and I've got a bunch of assistants here to jog my memory. So we will be back after traffic. Joe Ascalante Live from Hollywood by Hollywood you mean Burbank. Now, I got a couple, I've got good news. Saw a great movie this week, okay at the Alamo. On my birthday, I went to with my wife a to see to sugar in downtown, just like my favorite sushi.
Speaker 3: Who love Sugarfish. By the way, Happy birthday, thank you.
Speaker 1: And then it was January thirtieth, and then Thursday, and then I, you know, my wife's like, what do you want to do on your birthday? And I'd like to go to the Alamo draft House and see movie because it's fun to see movies there, and they always have movies that are maybe not playing in my you know, provincial town of Seal Beach in the theater in Huntington Beach. So we saw a movie called Companion. Have you heard of this one?
Speaker 3: Oh? I want to see that one so bad. I love the actors in it. The director did something else that I like.
Speaker 1: I love the lamp.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I love lamp.
Speaker 1: He loves lamp.
Speaker 2: I love lamp.
Speaker 3: I don't think I've seen lamp. Am I am I I'm not catching on.
Speaker 1: It's from Anchorman. I love chair, Okay, I love lamp.
Speaker 3: I love that you guys love lamp and chair.
Speaker 2: I love lamp. Okay.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Companion is uh. I gave it four and a half stars on my letterbox.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: It's a movie about oh this is the thing. It's about sex robots, but there's no sex in it. It's more of it's a morality tale, and the morality the lesson is positive. So and it's about the future, not too far off future, because the robots are you know, they're here, and there's blow up dolls and if you combine the two and a realistic it's about that. Yeah. Great actors, great cast, and very well made. So this one I give it the highest recommendation. And there's like maybe a little bit of sexy time, but it's not they don't show it. It's like happening and it's very brief, but it's adult themes. I would say. So see that movie Companion, and it just opened on January thirty. First, how did I see it on January thirtieth? It was your birthday, it was my birthday, so somehow it was just playing, you know, sometimes they just do previews or whatever. So, and if you haven't been the Alamo Draft House downtown, I would say it is worth the price of admission just to walk around and look at the movie posters. The movie posters are giant ones from foreign countries, you know how. Oh, I love the French ones, the Mexican ones. There's Japanese ones. Love so cool, just as good. Have you not been there, Nikki.
Speaker 3: I've been to a Alamo draft house, but not the one here, Okay, like Texas. I went to one in North Carolina.
Speaker 1: Warsaw.
Speaker 3: I have not been to Warsaw would kill though. I did go to like one theater in Goodinskin, Poland, and there was only one like movie room to go to. Uh, And I had to like wait outside the theater as the couples and people who were viewing the film previously were like walking out. And I said, the most beautiful women I've ever seen in my life with a bunch of trolls.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I would say that because the Polish women.
Speaker 3: Are beautiful Forgeres modelesque.
Speaker 1: But the men are like Valenca, you know.
Speaker 3: Basically, yes, exactly, I know that was.
Speaker 1: Ten in that country.
Speaker 3: It's true. Yeah, He's the closest thing to God.
Speaker 1: So, uh, you gotta go to the Alamo draft House. But and they serve food, and they serve very good food.
Speaker 3: I don't like that they keep the lights on so that I can see what everybody else is.
Speaker 1: Eating and there's no lights on.
Speaker 3: Okay. The one I went to they had like the four lights on and we watched this sport.
Speaker 1: I mean there is a light that for you to use your menu. They could be distracting, I'll give you. Yeah, okay, So, but that's in Los Angeles. You got a support he otherwise it'll go away now and many of theaters go away. They just close the Regency Theater in Santa Anna over by South Coast Plaza this week. But guess what, who would build a brand new movie theater.
Speaker 3: Someone who's been in a coma for forty years.
Speaker 1: Twenty twenty five, we have the opening of the Bay Theater in my hometown of Seal Beach.
Speaker 2: Day good.
Speaker 1: So can you believe a new movie theater opened and it's in my hometown. I go walk to it.
Speaker 2: I think that Nikky and I need to take a field trip over to your neck of the woods.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to celebrate telling you so, I'm going there. They opened with the movie that I co wrote and produced, called The Harbor Chronicles. I've talked about it running before. It's about the longest running surf shop in the history of the world and in the Harbor Surf Shop in Seal Beach, and the Harbor Surf Shop is across the street from the movie theater where it debuted, and that was just a coincidence. When we were finishing up this movie and we're like, what are we going to do with it, and we're like, hey, that theater is getting renovated. Took twelve years to make the movie, took eight years to make the theater to do the renovation, and they all happened. They all finished at the same time. So we had a premiere there and then it sold out like six showings after that, and it's still They're just like, keep putting more showings up. So if you want to see The Harbor Chronicles, go to Baytheater dot com and you could get tickets for I think February twenty second, I think is the only one that still has tickets left for it. But I'm going to go see. My family's there tonight watching it. I went to the premier and I spoke on night number two, talked to about it. But on Valentine's Day, I'm going to see Roman Holiday starring Greg Reepec and Audrey Hepburn with my wife. I usually go out with my wife on the Valentine's Day. That makes sense, yeah, yeah, And then they're showing Sleepless in Seattle at seven point thirty. And these are just like you know, romantic movies, right, But I see how they put the the one for old people at four Roman Holiday.
Speaker 2: Oh why are they doing when Harry met Sally?
Speaker 1: Well that's a little too racy for this town, really. But so the movies that are coming up, there's new movies and old movies. They got Casablanca coming up, the Wizard of Oz. They have a seventy fifth anniversary print of Cinderella. It's very hard to get a Disney movie to one of these little theaters.
Speaker 3: So that's amazing.
Speaker 1: Now number of February twenty second and twenty third Academy Award winner Best Picture winner, The Brutalist, we'll be playing at the Seal Beach Bay Theater. And then they got comedians and that's fun. It's just like they in this place was restored beyond what was necessary. Like they went and looked at all the old pictures of the you know when it was built in the forties or whatever, and they restored it into an amazing show place.
Speaker 3: Well it looks super cute.
Speaker 1: It's very cute. So that's my time. Now we shall go. Let me just whip out the box office champions right now.
Speaker 2: Excuse me?
Speaker 1: Yes. Number one is dog Man. You know what. Dog Man provided the first sign of life to the twenty twenty five box office this weekend with an opening that now stands at thirty six million dollars. I mean, this is a jant. That's why we said there's a couple of surprises. The two surprises, our Companion and dog Man. Dog Man makes thirty six million dollars. That's a second biggest opening for a January movie ever since twenty sixteen. Well not ever, but since twenty sixteen with Kung Flu Pandem.
Speaker 2: Whoa dog Man is his own best companion?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: See, evidently saying themes are okay. Number two is Companion, the movie I saw that is so great. Number two at the box office. Number three Lion King or four one of them days still doing well. Number five Flight Risk, Then Song Like the Hedgehog one A two. A lot of this is boring because we've all seen and talked about these movies. A Complete Unknown, number eight, number nine, The Brutalist. It's just pretty good because you can only show that thing like once or twice a day because it's so damn long. Three hours and forty minutes. Number ten is ten of these Part two. And the only other news I have that I will break to you before we take a break is Netflix is set to launch Netflix Bites, a pop up restaurant at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: I saw that I heard about this. This is a little.
Speaker 1: Well, there's been other pop up restaurants, you know that featured dishes by you know, themed dishes from uh famous chefs, but this one is going to have like, I don't know, like squid game squid.
Speaker 3: That's pretty clever.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm not saying they're having that.
Speaker 3: I'm just like an arrested development banana.
Speaker 1: Oh, banana, chocolate cover banana exactly.
Speaker 3: I have that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's an immersive culinary experience. By the way, I made that up. No, it's it's it's true, all right. So we're going to take a break and when we come back, we're gonna uh, I'm just looking at the best director category. Jacques auDA for Amelia pet Is, Sean Baker from Anora, Brady Corbett, The Brutalist Cora le Farge from the substance I don't know right, you can see it once James Mangold a complete unknown poor guy. I don't know what happened to better Man? Like, hello, people, did you see better Man?
Speaker 3: No? I don't think they did because they don't know who that guy is. And I didn't until better Man. I mean I heard that he posts pretty crazy stuff on Instagram, and now I'm a fan, so.
Speaker 1: I think the Corbett guy will probably win. But yeah, I think he's got to win. But holy count, you didn't see a better Man? Is it in international? No, it's not even in international. But Amelia Pettes is really in both regular and foreign. That's just plaino fashion communism. Joe's Galante Live from Hollywood one more hour after this, Joe's Galante Live from Hollywood. If by Hollywood you mean on the red carpet at the Grammys, the seven thousandth Annual Grammys, or actually no, we're in a very tiny studio. I got producer Nikki Hare and engineer we call Sam. Do you have like a radio name, like the Goblin or something?
Speaker 3: And we got Scorpion on the keys.
Speaker 2: Nobody gave me the memo that I need to have a radio name.
Speaker 3: We need to have one. It was going to be bestowed upon you. I mean, yeah, scorpion, cool with you?
Speaker 1: How about yeah, yeah scorpion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, engineer Scorpion, Engineer Scorpion. Yeah.
Speaker 2: With my PhD, I'll have to call me doctor Scorpions.
Speaker 3: Doctor Scorpion. Yeah. This will only sting a bit, you know, Yeah, I got.
Speaker 1: Okay. So anyways, I was going over my list of I haven't made my top ten list. But you know, there's so many movies that are better than than a lot of these films here. Uh. I mean, they're just like completely ignored. Kneecap like you, Kneecap is an Irish film, but.
Speaker 3: They are kind of punk in a way, and so maybe that's why they had to.
Speaker 1: It's because they're Catholics. I'm just telling you. That's how it works. That's how it works. We are We've been brew last for many years, many years. So I'm just looking at my at my movies from the year, and all of a sudden, my letterbox went to another century.
Speaker 3: But what.
Speaker 1: Anyways, movies like uh, snackshack snackhack Snapchack is a better movie than Amelia. Better Melia Amelia. Let's see Companion. I told you about that one.
Speaker 2: That sounds fascinating. See that one.
Speaker 1: Uh, let's see movies this year that were better than all these movies. The Wild Robot is a better movie, but it is nominated for Best Animated Feature. Blink Twice was better than these movies. Despicable Me four was better than these movies. And uh, Faye, did you see Faye?
Speaker 2: I did not see Faye. I saw Despicable of Me three and I was like, okay, it's a decent an end to the series. I didn't think it was that good though, but fay.
Speaker 3: F a y e, wait, how are you sorting your letter box by date? Oh?
Speaker 1: And I saw Brooklyn. It's better, better than a lot of these movies. And uh, anyways, I mean, I'm gonna a mad Max Saga better than these movies. Unfrosted from Netflix, better than a lot of these movies. Kingdom of the Panel, the Apes better than a lot of these movies.
Speaker 2: I think, so, uh.
Speaker 1: Best hairstyles. They're going to take it.
Speaker 2: I give it a yes.
Speaker 3: Who's who's a tut?
Speaker 1: It's not nos is getting He's getting a can of nos Oh yeah, it's going to be up all night. Okay, they'll be out fast. Okay. So I'm going to get to my stories because we I mean, I got I got some decent ones. The reboot for A Little House in the Prairie has been ordered by Netflix. The series based on the book series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. The new version will follow the Ingles family as they leave Wisconsin to settle in Independence, Kansas. I can imagine that pitch meeting. He goes, forget everything you've ever heard about the Ingles family. They're going to Independence, Kansas. Okay, I thought I thought I thought Independence was in Missouri. Is it one of those towns where that's on both but there's.
Speaker 3: A few of them, Like how there's a Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, Paris, Texas. You know, m'd be a few independences.
Speaker 1: You could be right, It could be right. That's my father used to always say to my uncle Ralph. He got tired of hearing him talk. You could be right, you go say, Uncle Ralph. All you can say to him is you could be right. And once I learned that, for I'm not You're nothing like Uncle Ralph.
Speaker 3: That's that's the hint I'm getting right now.
Speaker 1: I could. I could listen to you talk all day, but I was just kind of like having fun there. But once you learn you could be right if you can say that to annoying people in your life and and it's done. Here's another life hack from Joey Scalante. When you're when you're sick of talking to someone, Oh hey, so it works, drive safe walk away that.
Speaker 3: I just sort of say I have to pee.
Speaker 2: I always go, I'm a beat, and I just like flat flower of my hands, like I.
Speaker 3: Think, guys, we have got to go to a party together and see the worst guests.
Speaker 1: Drive safe is my favorite.
Speaker 3: Yeah, drive safe, yeah, because I mean but I will say though, if you say you have to pee, nobody will get in your way.
Speaker 1: That's true. Yeah, But if your guy, then they go, hey, I'm all concerned about you because you've had to say you pee twice since I been in this party. Have you had your prostage? That's a problem. I'm telling you. If you go to the bathroom too much twice in one meal, someone's going to tell you that. If you're my age, really yeah, And I'm like, well, I'm only going twice because I have to drive. I have an hour drive after this, the guy just really look look man, puts hand on my shoulder. You gotta you gotta check out that prosty.
Speaker 3: Then that's that's when you say, all right, man, you know I wasn't going to ask you this, but because I'm going to the bathroom, you want to come with me and just see if everything's okay.
Speaker 1: You want to get weird.
Speaker 3: And then you get to it. Yeah, well yeah, and they say no, you say okay, drive safe, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, drive a safe from food.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you never have to go to a party again.
Speaker 1: Drive safe, inted you could be right, drive safe, you combine them at everybody.
Speaker 2: Says, just invite the bee guy.
Speaker 1: He's great, Yeah, okay, can Now we're get into the serious stories. CBS News. I rate over the possible settlement to the Trump's lawsuits Trump and they're gonna set Remember how Donald Trump had a he sued ABC.
Speaker 3: Yeah, doing that.
Speaker 1: Now, when I heard he was doing ABC, I was like, don't do that. Just move on. You know, you're the president of the United States. You one just go just move on. Litigation is terrible and just don't it'll hurt your soul. And then he gets a freaking settlement cost the money in the account for the library. And then he sues CBS. Why did he sue CBS because CBS and sixty minutes hacked together this Kamala Harris sentence to make it look like she was intelligent. And then his people say they did this to influence the election. And since they have a CC license FCC license, they're not allowed. They have to be neutral and they can't be hacking things together to make one candidate because they looked at her and they go, oh my god, she sounds like an idiot. And they go, we'll tell you what. Take the answer from over here and put it to the question over here, and we just run that. And you know, I don't care. But if I was running against her, I'd be really mad, would I sue? Know? But I'm not. Evidently I'm this guy knows something I don't know because he's about to get a settlement now from CBS, and the the executive producer Bill Owens furious and president Wendy McMahon of CBS News furious. But you know, and then the controversy is are they doing it because they just want to get out of it and they know they're going to lose or because they're about to have a merger and they want approval and they just want to get these people off their back. We don't know, and maybe we never will. But then there's another one.
Speaker 2: There's more there.
Speaker 1: There's a companion story to this, and we will talk about that.
Speaker 3: We know how well companion did.
Speaker 1: Does he's suing the Perlitzer board that gave a Perlitzer prize to fake news. You know, they were his Russian collusion case. So that came out that it wasn't true, and there was a like, you know, there was shenanigans. Some guy made it up, and then they someone started spreading it around, and then the and then these these reporters were doing these stories on it, and which is fine because they got you know, it sounded they wanted it to be true, and it sounded believable. They thought they had these sources, so they wrote these uh stories about it. And the problem was they gave they got they won, and it turned out not to be true and they got Purlator prizes. So what do you do if you give a Purlaster prize to somebody because they were doing this great story on something that wasn't true. Do you let him keep it because they how did they know or should they have known?
Speaker 3: You give them a fiction writing award and move on.
Speaker 1: A fiction writing award, Yeah, because it was good pros.
Speaker 3: Yeah, de gotcha, you know you get And the metal award is shaped like this like a fist, where like they got your nose. That would be amazing for the fake News Award. I truly cast this and like make a I think I should.
Speaker 1: Run with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got credit for that. This is my best reporting on fake news exactly.
Speaker 1: It's not their fault. But or is it that? I think that's the question. Yeah, So this is why Trump pursuing all these people when normally it would be like, oh, you know, just it's as politics as usual. But he's trying to he's just trying to just kind of just beat him down, so they just leave him alone for four years. So very interesting and then but not as interesting as you know what traffic traffic in Los Angeles, that's amazing. I'll tell you there's a lot of bad traffic. As I was out there today coming in, it was like a rush hour out there. Let's see what tin can tin Can breath has to say about that. One to day Jscalante Live from Hollywood. Joe Us go on to Live from Hollywood. By Hollywood, you mean bird Bank, across the street from a Wiener Schnitzel that sells beer. And I, you know, I just going through my letterboxed thing seeing which movies are better than the ones that got nominated, and I really think it's a sad collection and they could have been more inclusive. And I you know, they they made they made ten. They made ten nominees for Best Picture, which I'm still against just be five. But they did it to make to broaden it out, so that maybe, you know, maybe some blockbusters, like you know, a Marvel movie or two or something can get nominated and we can all be we everybody could participate. But there's none of that. There's no blockbusters in here. There's Doom two, But does that really count as a blockbuster?
Speaker 3: Ye?
Speaker 1: Okay, but okay, done too. But that's not like for young people so much as they.
Speaker 3: Pass the industry's favorite boy, and that's to draw the audience.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Timothy, all right, so they got all right, So they got one out of ten. I get okay, Well maybe that's what they thought. We got one, But why did you go from five to ten so you could have nine of these movies that no one's ever gonna watch. I but you know, Wicked is a blockbuster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Wicked definitely if you wanted to expand it to get blockbusters. I think that's the one that was thrown in there. But because they knew everybody.
Speaker 1: Do you think anybody that sees Amelia Petez is not going to see Wicked?
Speaker 2: I think the crossover between them are going to be pretty thick.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Okay, So let's go to the actors. Adrian Brodie in The Brutalist, Timothy Challomy, Complete Unknown, Coleman Domingo Sing Sing. I haven't seen that yet, but it's about, you know, some like drama program in a prison. Yeah cool, Ralph from Conclave, Sebastian Stan, and The Apprentice. Now The Apprentice is a movie that was made. They released it they thought it was gonna derail President Trump's campaign. Uh so this is the guy who played Trump. Yeah.
Speaker 3: He also played the Winter Soldier in Captain America. That was my first ever introduction to Sebastian Stan. I thought it was a real cutie.
Speaker 1: Good for Wow.
Speaker 2: Whoever did the makeup on that should be getting an award.
Speaker 3: Well, we got to put that new get that category in here.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's in there. I don't know, it's on this other page.
Speaker 3: I could look right now, But when am I going to get into the makeup chair and walk out looking like Trump?
Speaker 1: If I didn't, If I cared, I would, I would turn the page and look at it. But I think Adrian Brody wins this.
Speaker 3: Did we talk about the AI thing with the brutalist and the accent?
Speaker 1: No, it's going on there?
Speaker 3: Okay, well maybe, okay, I'll tell you are sometimes Yeah, I'm about to blow your minds. But new freaking freaking news for me. I was on Twitter and I was reading about this. I saw an article. I should have sent it my bad. I was engrossed in whatever I was doing, which was reading on Twitter. I think that there was use of AI in post on the Brutalists to improve Adrian Brodie's and maybe other characters Hungarian accents and well.
Speaker 1: You know it, and make them more consistent because it's hard.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've been to Hungary. That language I would not wish on my worst enemy. Do you many?
Speaker 1: Because it's part of the Finno Ugric family of languages, which exactly Finnish and Hungarian or somehow are.
Speaker 3: You Asianic languages right, They're like they're in a strange category. They're not.
Speaker 1: Why aren't they speaking Nordy.
Speaker 3: There's a photo I was staying with my friend in Hungary and we were I actually had like a work book and I was just kind of trying my best to get you on the basics sound. I can't. I can order coffee in Greek, in Polish, in Russian, I cannot even attempt in Hungarian zero percent.
Speaker 1: Here's what you do. You got your point to the thing on the menu, and you say, well one.
Speaker 3: I say, please help me. I have a passport, help me buy a ticket to leave this country. I'm so scared.
Speaker 1: Life is too short to learn any Finno Ugric languages. So we're good on that. But I'm I support AI being used to make a accent consistent. So I know people would would say that's cheating.
Speaker 3: I think it's a tool. Frankly, tool like the quality of your mic in the boom is going to also have an impact on how the accent and voice sounds, so you need to do some tweaking and post. It's a great tool.
Speaker 1: Especially if you're a tweaker, then just yeah, if.
Speaker 3: You're a tweaker, then just get off your computer and start doing cartwheels. You'll feel even better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I have something to say about that. There is a lawsuit against uh Ai. There's a couple of lawsuits, and I'm skipping from movies to this is what we do recent developments and copyright infringement cases. I was just kinda there's a lot of people suing AI companies.
Speaker 3: Right, oh right, right, I saw this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Google, and they're you know, because they're scrub They're they're scraping the Internet and taking people's art. And then there are companies that say, do you like this artist, maybe this artist Robert Williams, that maybe I'll just throw that name out there, the guy that did the first Guns N' Roses album. If you like his his work, you could using AI get make something just like his stuff, like if you hired him, Like if I hire Robert Williams and say, hey, make me one with a like that where he does a lot of auto drag race and stuff like I go make it the love Bug and then have Bigfoot come in and blah blah. So you could do that, and arguably you're taking money away from Robert Williams. But so that lawsuit's going on, and like a group of visual artists are are finding class action suit against the AI companies for that. But there is a company. There's a company. There's a guy who's a professor at at Chicago University who created two things that are that fights this. There's a there's an app called Glaze and there's one called night Shade. And you when you post your art on the internet, you use these apps and then when someone tries to scrape it and copy it comes it turns out into something totally different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're base, you're encoding like weirder visual.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So if there's a picture of cow, it could come out as a truck. So that's you know, somebody dedicated their life to that. Okay, all right, I'm bouncing around now, I'm going to go to Nicky Nikki. You saw a movie this week?
Speaker 3: I saw, Yeah, I saw a couple of movies. I've actually had a triple feature with my roommates.
Speaker 1: Good because you have triple minutes to talk about it.
Speaker 3: Oh I love that. Okay, great, So I saw I've been on a sci fi kick in my life for a long time. I think the horror thing kind of subsided after I watched so many bad horror movies, and my boyfriend and I then saw Jacob's Ladder and we agreed to never watch a bad movie again because we were just having our minds blown. But that one in Shutter Island. We watched those two and then we were like, no more crappy, bad movies, just because we like to be scared, So we moved onto sci fi. I also been reading a ton of sci fi, so it's you know, I like space now. But for the first time ever, I saw two thousand and one, A Space Odyssey. By the way, I was born in two thousand and one. You know that is that freak two out? Is that? Okay, there you go. That's that's the horror element of the second Terrified. Yeah, well, there we go. Saw that for the first time. I love this section of the sixties because the outfits are the best and the interiors are the best. And my New Year's resolution actually was to buy a lot more vintage of this area. It's nineteen sixty eight to seventy two. That was my specific area.
Speaker 1: Well, I got one for you. Okay, are you ready for this one?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Let's hear it, right Yah.
Speaker 1: Silent Running, Silent Running, starring Bruce Dern.
Speaker 3: I'm actually written. Is that like Laura from the eighties Laura da love Laura D wait?
Speaker 2: Was this the one from the eighties?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Seventies?
Speaker 3: Silent silent What?
Speaker 1: Silent running?
Speaker 3: Silent running?
Speaker 1: Yeah, silent running.
Speaker 3: Okay, awesome.
Speaker 1: I don't want to give you too many so I'm just gonna this looks amazing.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, look.
Speaker 1: Bruce Dern when he was he was a hunk.
Speaker 3: Oh my good. Well I see where the good genes come from the family. Okay, good.
Speaker 2: So that's Marcel Marceau story.
Speaker 3: That's exciting. I love the image I saw open door how I love that.
Speaker 1: That's so good.
Speaker 3: Big fan of the interiors basically up until the point, like the end, the end. I was kind of like, all right.
Speaker 1: Two thousand and one, I haven't watched it a long time. That's one of the ones I gotta I gotta rewatch it.
Speaker 3: I loved the scene where they're talking on this like spacecraft with the Russian people and the guy. Sorry, I kind of was. I dozed off a little bit the first time we tried watching this and then the second time.
Speaker 1: I've dozed off in that movie too many times. You have to go to a theater.
Speaker 3: And and that's what I was told some trip so you can.
Speaker 1: Just so you drink some coffee in your focus the whole time. I think you should do that to the Brutalist too, because I don't think I gave it a.
Speaker 3: We're gonna come back and I can talk about some more movies. Is that okay?
Speaker 1: Sam's coming back?
Speaker 3: Okay, we'll do that after this.
Speaker 1: Joe Scalante live from Hollywood. Shout out to all the girls of the Round Tummy.
Speaker 3: So let's go.
Speaker 1: Hollywood front. Yeah, producer Nikki and Sam.
Speaker 2: Hey, Scorpion, get it, Scorpion.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be in Costa Rican next weekend.
Speaker 3: Don't drink the water man. I got monta zoomass revenge last time I was there yet. Yeah to now an ice cube?
Speaker 1: D ice cube?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no joke.
Speaker 2: Oh that's not good. Yeah, my kids went there last year. Loved it down there. That's amazing.
Speaker 3: Is the best place ever. The water will kill you. I swhere to goot toilets.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm going just to hear the the eco environmental lecture before the zip line, and then I'm going to skip the zipline. Skipping the zipline. I just want to hear the lecture.
Speaker 3: You're so studious. I went for a Vision festival last year because I do audio visual installations. I don't know if I've told you this way, but yeah, I do like stage projection, mapping on stages and stuff. There was this crazy trippy festival in the woods. Guess where I was enjoying my time in the compost bathroom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, compost bathrooms world Right now, I.
Speaker 3: Was thinking, yeah, I was doing an installation in the compost bathrooms. Yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: This is Sublime and Gwen Stefani and then and then a host of unpronounceable.
Speaker 3: That's a crazy mix.
Speaker 1: Well, actually they've recorded together a few times both, so that's very dope. But you know, I don't want to make too much of the association, but they do. You know, they were they were kind of friends back in the day. Okay and Sick, Yeah, Sick both place a little bit of ska in the set, love a little bit of rock.
Speaker 3: Now, I want to talk about Dark City.
Speaker 1: Go to the movie. You saw two more movies? Yeah, I did let's whip through those.
Speaker 3: I saw Event Horizon again, big fan of Event Horizon. I mean I didn't actually even put together that. It's Sam Neil, right, that's the actor who's in Possession. He's also an Event Horizon and in Draska Park he's in a bunch of stuff. But I hadn't seen Possession the first time I saw Event Horizon, so I've seen that since then made a lot more sense.
Speaker 1: So this is your new science fiction kick. I like it better than your horror thing because you're right.
Speaker 3: Thanks for being honest.
Speaker 1: You're right, because you're you're the horror stuff. He's like, oh, I want to be scared. I'm gonna watch a bad movie. And you end up watching a bad movie.
Speaker 3: Well then I'm like, I'm I'm so scared because ah, someone greenlit this. Huh. You know that's horrifying in itself.
Speaker 1: But science fiction, well yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Mean I'll go back to the horror. I don't worry, but yeah, but science fiction has been good, especially because I've been kind of on my vintage kick as well, So there's great sci fi to watch. The Sixties. Love the seventies.
Speaker 1: My favorite science fiction book which would be made into a Major Motion Picture which one Planet of the Apes. Oh the book is is it's short, you know, like a lot of tho science.
Speaker 3: Ficuation, not that long.
Speaker 1: Looks so great?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, because I watched Minority Report and then I was like, wow, this really feels like a PKD novel. And then I was like, you know what exactly that's me on Twitter scrolling through crap. But I did see Dark City, which was a very interesting film because visually it's amazing. I mean, it's directed by the same guy, Alex Proyes I think who directed The Crow. Pretty crazy, also, did I Robot?
Speaker 1: I pretty sure these are like these are like nineteen ninety eight, ninety six.
Speaker 3: This is ninety eight. Yeah, but he did Dark So the Crow was nineteen ninety four. Dark City is nineteen ninety eight, and it has Jennifer Connelly in it, and it has amazing visual design. It has awesome miniatures, really crazy trippy plot as well. Gotta say, Mid, like, here's my review. Okay, mid, Mid, this is my this is with you on Cherry Funfetti on letterbox. That's my letterbox. My review is The Crow. If you want to see Jennifer Connolly's worst performance and you kind of like Delicatessen's weird vibe. Delicatesten's a cool film by the director of Amilie, and it's very weirdly lit. Miniatures. Now, one of my roommates is a fabricator and animator for stop motion animation, and he knows how to light a miniature. Okay, you have to use small lights for scale. They're using massive lights on the miniature set.
Speaker 1: You have to have these little tiny lights, little tiny lights they used big light shoes. Don't put big shoes. It's the same as putting big shows on miniatures.
Speaker 3: Don't put big shoes on miniatures. Embarrassing. But tell your kids to get out of your closet and put on their sketches.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you there's nothing like nineteen ninety four or nineteen ninety eight. Jennifer Connolly.
Speaker 3: I mean she's gorgeous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was so beautiful and then and then she I think she did the actress things to her face. Pretty though still pretty, yeah, in a like you think she's pretty, but guys aren't going, oh my god, Jennifer Connelly, because I think she did something.
Speaker 3: Probably yeah, but I think I think out of a lot of the actresses who did a little actress stuff to her face. I still, yeah, I think she's so beautiful.
Speaker 1: No, she doesn't. It's not weird, but it's just not.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing, though, she can't sing. She can't sing, and there are two scenes where she's singing in the movie. It's kind of a noir vibe. She's like a bar singer. She does not have the charisma or the voice. I was like, they and they dubbed over other shots in the film. She dubbed over. I'm like, you should have done over. But the design, you get her get her in there. I mean seriously, but you know the design was good enough that I gave it a three. Can't recommend it, but if you and your roommates are to sci fi.
Speaker 1: Kick well, if you ought to see every Jennifer Jennifer Connolly movie, see that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It's really a nothing burger of a performance from her, but I think it's still worth watching if you like Mini's.
Speaker 1: I was hanging out with Jennifer Connolly in the early nineties face and then one day I was like, I was at CBS in my job and I walked down and I see her in the in the lobby. She's reading for a part. Talk to her because you know, I used to know her and then I was like, I'm married now, So I mean, you know, what's the best thing could happen? Would be the worst thing.
Speaker 3: I was born in the wrong generation, Joe.
Speaker 1: We don't want to talk. You know, I didn't talk to her, so, uh I thank you for your movie reports. I got so into him, but then I forgot. Okay, you know what we're gonna do Best Actress. Sure, I'm just you know, I'm doling out these Oscar things a little bit here and a little bit there. Okay, I'm not doing supporting roles though, because nobody life's too short. We have best Actress, Lead actress.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: First one is a man named Cask. No, that's the one from Amelia Parents. I mean, I don't know, is that fair?
Speaker 3: Hold on? Hold on? Wait? So okay, I know I know what you described the movie about to me. Wait, so that's about a trans person.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, yeah, so that's there.
Speaker 3: They are nominating them in this part is identifies as male.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, no, as female in real life?
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, well then yeah, they get to be nominated for Best Actress.
Speaker 1: I don't have problems.
Speaker 3: I thought you were, like, okay, because that would have been like, what's that movie where that guy played a trans woman but he wasn't.
Speaker 1: Try But oh yeah, like that's not transparent or something. Yeah, yeah, okay, but yeah, I don't have a problem with that. Cynthia Arrivo Wicked and Mikey Madison in Anora, great movie, Demi Moore the substance, great performance, but I have to say, and then Fernando Torres for I'm Still Here, which.
Speaker 2: How do you tell?
Speaker 1: How can you tell if someone who's speaking Portuguese the whole time, if they're a good actress or not. The face it's good, it's I just can't tell. So I don't have.
Speaker 3: Anything like friends on mute. You can still figure out what's going on because they're good actors.
Speaker 1: I can't tell.
Speaker 2: So you can ask a Portuguese friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's what you have to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in that scenario, have to phono friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a Brazilian friend in this case.
Speaker 3: But wow, that's a lot of friends.
Speaker 1: So with this category, is Gena Davis from the movie Blink Twice should have been nominated? Okay, oh no, that's yeah, No, that's in the supporting role. I have a gripe with a supporting role. Went we got a lady from a complete unknown Monica Barbara and Ariana Grandi and Wi Kid Felicity Jones and the brutalist Isabella ross Alina and Conclave Zoey Sadania, and it was.
Speaker 2: Was very great.
Speaker 3: I thought that start. But I think you could.
Speaker 1: Give I think you I think you could give her. I think you could call them both leads maybe, but you know they they they get to pick. I think, so you don't want to go up against and Rivo or whatever her name is. What's her name? I should learn Cynthia Rivo. Yeah, I mean she's a big deal.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize that that she was the lead in Iron Was. I just thought they were kind of co stars. But this is.
Speaker 1: A Gena Davis should have been in this category, but I really can't. I would knock out Isabella Rossolini, who I think is a great actress. But if you watch Gena Davis in Blink twice, you would agree with me because you would just go, oh my god, Joe, you're so right. Okay. Animated feature film Flow Inside Out to Memoir of a Snail Wallace and Grommet and The Wild Robot.
Speaker 3: I want Flow to win because go Estonia, No Latvia Lafia.
Speaker 1: Flow is a film, is a great movie, and The Wild Robot is the best movie of the year. So I don't know. I'm torn. I like Flow. I would give Wild Robot Best Picture, and then I'm gonna give Flow Best Animated Feature.
Speaker 3: Sure picture imply that it's like a it's live action, though, right well in our world, I don't think you can be you can get it.
Speaker 1: I mean I'm not an Oscar history expert, but I think best picture. What if all the movies this year were animated?
Speaker 3: I mean, come on, I mean, as someone who studied animation, I would like that.
Speaker 1: Do you ever watch the dating on the Spectrum?
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 1: You could be friends with Danny who everything every she everybody has to like animation if you want to date.
Speaker 3: Her, I'm not even lying. I think that's most of my friends.
Speaker 1: Not only you could fix her up. She lives in Los Angeles. Maybe you could, you know.
Speaker 3: I don't think I've got like many candidates for her.
Speaker 1: Actually, well, my my plan for her is she should be in commercials because she's so I don't know if you. You probably don't remember who which character this is. She's an animation one and she's she's pretty animated herself. But man, she would be good in like progressive commercials and stuff like that. So if you're listening, Danny start to, you know, get an age.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, she's adorable doing some.
Speaker 1: Auditions and yeah, she is adorable.
Speaker 3: She's so cute.
Speaker 1: Okay, so now we're up up against another break. Time goes by so fast. When we can back, I will talk to you about a scandal brewing at Disneyland, twin scandals, and I will give you the verdict in the m Night Shaya Malan copyright trial on Joey Scalante Live from Hollywood. Here it comes. It comes to big, the big Germans. When Steve Jones from the Sex Pistols says, my name NICKI, producer, Niki.
Speaker 3: You're young, ye, I've gotten that.
Speaker 1: Are you familiar with the sex Pistols? Of them? This is the guitar player singing a song about me.
Speaker 3: That's beautiful. So you guys are in a relationship, That's what that means, right when that happens.
Speaker 2: He actually recorded that on a little tape player while they were in bed together just on the guitar.
Speaker 3: Oh it sounds yeah, it sounds very intimate. I can hear your breathing and sort of Stowe size on the other end.
Speaker 1: Come on you guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the production's great. I can hear all that on the he's.
Speaker 1: Actually he recorded it, and then some guy that was a Japanese remix, So there.
Speaker 3: Are three people there. Yeah, I did a Japanese remix last night. Okay, man, that's kind of TMI, but yeah, thanks for letting me know.
Speaker 2: S grab me for best radio show theme Song. Why is that not a category?
Speaker 3: It's a Marconi that's right, because we're punk rock, right dominated that's why we can't nominate it. Yeah, so Japanese remix her punk rock. They'd like this there right in Japan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me tell you something about the Japanese markets. Since this is a Jashoba's show, people believe that the Japanese like anything American, and then whatever you do, people go, oh, man, you guy should play in Japan. They would just love you there. But the truth is, the Japanese music market is eighty five it's probably by now it goes up and maybe eighty nine percent Japanese music leaving the rest of the world to fight for that eleven percent. So it's hard to get into that market. And once you're in, though, you probably will last forever because then they're just like you're in. You're in, but you got very hard to get in. So if you're a musician and you think, oh, we're gonna I really got to get into this Japanese market and then I will concoast and I'll be big in Japan, it's it's it doesn't really work that way, and you're not going to be big in Japan. So the lesson is do not quit your day job.
Speaker 3: I've heard that one before. All right, sure, I really I can't.
Speaker 1: Okay. So there's a couple of copyright stories. A lot of people listen to the show for the copyright information and a current state of copyright law. There's a documentary at the sun Dance Film Festival about a you know, the Vietnamese picture, the most famous picture from the Vietnamese War? What is it?
Speaker 3: Napalm girl?
Speaker 1: Very good and she was not even around her that war, like I was. I don't want to talk about it, but Sam, well she already gave it away.
Speaker 2: Well it was heither Napalm girl or the one the shot of the guy who the general shooting one of the vehicles.
Speaker 1: Do you mean new Inn knock Loan.
Speaker 2: I believe so, But I think that was video footage. That was not a still shot.
Speaker 1: I think it was still. You can correct me. I think it was a still.
Speaker 2: I think it was a video and they just take the still from the video.
Speaker 1: But the why didn't you you look it up and try to prove it, prove the guy wrong? Who actually knows the guy's name who was firing the gun? Knock Loan. He ended up in Florida a pizza shop or something when I grew up there. When I grew up, they were like the president of one of the presidents of Vietnam was like working at a liquor store near my house. The head of security was uh just like it had a tie restaurant near my house for Unwin kow Key was was a former uh uh General Lissimo. They were all around, So I don't know. I studied it up a little bit. So there's a controversy. They gave there's a guy who said he took that picture it's a video, but there it's a video. Ah, Okay, I stand corrected. So there's a guy who got credit for the one with the girl in the napalm, and then for years since the war, this guy got a he got a whatever ward you get for that? I gotcha word? I guess what do you get for that? And then now he gets a gotcha. I think they're transferring it to a gotcha because it turns out there was a Vietnamese guy that took that picture. So that was the documentary is all about how the guy got cheated. So that's coming to you, and you know what you can do at the sun Nuts Film Festival. What's going on right now. I don't know if it's too late, but you can buy a pass and they have a digital film festival and you can watch a lot of the movies that are playing there, and then you don't have to go there in the snow, which I've done a couple of times, and it's a hassle. M Night. Shayamalan, remember he got sued by Francesca Gregorini, who has eight other names, but I don't have him written down right now. They went to trial and they went in front of a jury. She said, you sed to my movie. That my movie I wrote a movie about a lady who had a doll, and she thought it was real. How dare you?
Speaker 2: Why would why would anybody try to associate themselves with anything he made? And ever since the was it the first movie he made?
Speaker 1: Why are you saying he made one good movie and the rest were terrible?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okayo interesting? Yeah? Yeah, I'm kind of with you on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the one with Bruce Willis and the kid who has now a grown up that sees dead people?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yes? What was the sixth? Sixthone thought he was ever even thought he was the Bee's knees. Yeah, well yeah, and he never lived up to it.
Speaker 2: And then he like he went after one of like Nerddom's sacred cows by doing Avatar the Last Airbender and completely missing the pot.
Speaker 3: That was that made him relevant to my generation as someone to not trust. But I will say I saw the Watchers of his with one of the Fanning sisters and it was way better than I thought it be all right, Like it wasn't great, but it was better than I thought, and that kind of redeemed him a bit that's really good trap which I heard sucks.
Speaker 1: But that's really cool. But I have to tell the audience the who won the trial? Did was it? Francesca Gregorini M Knight Shyamalan. She says, you stole my idea for a movie with a lady who has a baby, and she thinks it's real. It's not real. It's a doll and the the first they threw it out of court. Then another court said, the Ninth Circuit says, yeah, we'll hear it, and they said they had a trial and or the Ninth Circuit said you can go to trial. Then they had the trial in Riverside for some reason. And these people on the Riverside I think they know what they're doing because they said they they ruled for M. Knight Shyamalan, and I think that was correct. Yeah, because you can't they weren't. They just said these movies are too different. That's all they said. It was pretty easy. And there's another scandal going on at the Sundance Film Festival. There's a movie called Selena and the Dinos. I just want to, you know, pump that up a little bit. It's a documentary about Selena. So they put it on the digital festival where you can pay money and watch these really you know, cool and the Hippos latest documentaries or other movies and so. But then people started stealing clips of Selena and Los Dinos and putting it all over TikTok. So they finally just pulled it down. Can you believe.
Speaker 2: That that is shocking? Yeah, this is my shocked face radio audience. You should see it.
Speaker 3: I know scorpions have very few facial muscles, so this adds up.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: And the last thing was the Disneyland. There's a controversy at Hanted Mansion because they changed the story of the Hunted Mansion and they made it Some people say, ah, they kind of made it woke or whatever.
Speaker 3: Not a context by hello.
Speaker 1: But I don't know. I think they I think the story's better the new one. They should probably, I mean, I don't know why they monkey with these things, but the new ones better. So if you go there just kind of being have an open mind about some live journalism.
Speaker 3: When I'm at Disneyland, Oh yeah, you're coming up. When's your trip, I'll plan it around what's possible, and
Speaker 1: I'll leave you with just a taste of the greatest song ever written.